Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Making a Stainless exhaust manifold

Volvomad ยท 2015-06-29 18:22

Hi all. I cant get an exhaust manifold for an old 2 pot deutz air cooled engine in an ingersland compressor so I started making a stainless steel one . The before I went too far I said I might ask the ye am I crazy ? or might it work . It will only run 10 to 20 hours per year .

Replies16
  1. #1repowerguy2015-06-29 18:35

    If the ports line up from the head to the manifold and seal up and don't leak, I can't see any problem. Some people (like me) have more time than they have money, I say have at it!

  2. #2lantraxco2015-06-29 19:43

    No reason why not, no different than building headers for a gas engine, yeah?

  3. #3Volvomad2015-06-30 05:13

    Not too much time or money on my hands . I know nout about headers on gas engines but I will give it a lash anyway .

  4. #4lantraxco2015-06-30 13:47

    Headers

  5. #5repowerguy2015-06-30 18:21

    Looks like you are building it on the kitchen table!

  6. #6lantraxco2015-06-30 19:16

    Not me, lol, I just grabbed those pictures off the web.. wouldn't be the first engine built on a kitchen table, or in the living room for that matter! I knew one field mechanic that said his wife yelled at him for rebuilding a CAT injection pump on the kitchen table though! LOL.

  7. #7kshansen2015-06-30 19:25

    I'm not sure if that is a good idea, might get some bread crumbs in the pump! Heaven forbid if she was to be making brownies and got some walnut shells in there!

  8. #8Scrub Puller2015-06-30 20:01

    Yair . . . Okay I'll ask . . . what is that engine? Cheers.

  9. #9Volvomad2015-06-30 21:10

    It is out of a very lively shovel

  10. #10lantraxco2015-06-30 22:20

    Chevy LS1

  11. #11Scrub Puller2015-06-30 23:51

    Yair . . . Gotcha lantraxco . . . two valve heads look agricultural don't they? Cheers.

  12. #12RayF2015-07-01 08:26

    The thing that comes to mind using stainless is it moves with heat five times more than steel. You need to design it so its free to expand and contract without breaking itself apart

  13. #13Delmer2015-07-01 10:27

    Come on now, lets keep this peaceful.

  14. #14Scrub Puller2015-07-01 15:56

    Yair . . . . Delmer (big grin) Cheers.

  15. #15lantraxco2015-07-01 16:12

    Well, there's always been plenty of fertilizer coming out of Detroit, but I doubt you could plow well with that motor! :tong

  16. #16Volvomad2015-07-01 17:06

    That relative expansion rate is food for thought . Any I have to leave it to do a head gasket on a JD 6910 tractor and a bit of 4 inch bsp pipe fabrication .