Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Man Basket for a Stinger R.O crane

styxplo · 2019-04-06 07:15

I have an older Stinger R.O. 110 crane that I use on the farm. I don't make any money with it, just personal use. I'm trying to hunt down a basket for it. I've came across a couple online, but they are hard to find and very expensive. Does anyone have one they would like to sell at a reasonable price, or have any ideas where I might find one? Thanks

Replies15
  1. #1td25c2019-04-07 17:26

    I would ask around truck salvage yards that might have a bucket or digger derrick truck in the inventory . Ours came with a digger derrick rig . Simple fiberglass bucket with steel framework bolted to it . Uses a single shaft to mount it to the boom head . Being it's free swinging I made a locking device to stabilize the bucket when in position . Really don't use it often but when ya need it you need it . What we do use often is a bosuns chair for rigging & unrigging . https://www.gmesupply.com/fall-protection/bosun-chairs

  2. #2Tradesman2019-04-07 17:36
  3. #3Tradesman2019-04-07 20:00

    Well I messed that up. I have one like TD’s but I don’t use it. It was given to me so if you are close enough it’s yours.

  4. #4crane operator2019-04-08 22:02

    I would look at giuffre bros. and smiley crane websites as pictures of what their aftermarket basket's look like. I have a friend in the sign business that has made a couple baskets to fit on the end of the boom http://www.smileyliftingsolutions.com/inventory/ If you are just using it for on farm use with no employee's, osha has no hold on you. Do a competent job welding one up, or have someone else weld it up for you, and I wouldn't hesitate to use a homebuilt one in your application. If you want- I can have him send me a picture of the one's he's built, and you can copy his, its not quite as nice as the smiley ones, but it works.

  5. #5styxplo2019-04-15 20:13

    Ok. Thanks guys. I went to a local heavy equipment junkyard. They had a couple that I can possibly make work, but none of them had the hand brakes on them. The one place I called wanted $8000 for a used one. I didn't spend that much on the crane truck......

  6. #6styxplo2019-04-15 20:14

    Does the one you have come with a hand brake attached??

  7. #7crane operator2019-04-15 20:53

    The hand brake wouldn't be hard to make. Most are just like a brake caliper with a bolt threaded to push on the disc. Some just use a plate with a bunch of holes around the perimeter, and then have a pin that you put into the closest hole. I've also seen the pipe that the basket pivots on, have a series of bolt holes in the larger pipe that it rotates on, and the same deal, just put a pin in the hole.

  8. #8GrainBinMan2019-04-19 21:07

    Ok, so how do go from having that fellow in a chair to having straps attached to your crane and no man in the air? If I'm understanding what you're doing, you put a fellow up there to put the straps at the right place to lift the pipe. But what did you do with the top end of the straps while you put the man back down on the ground?

  9. #9td25c2019-04-19 21:19

    Two drums on the rig . One with the man in bosuns chair to rig the job and second drum to do the job . Rigger gets in place first & hooks it up . Then put him back on the ground when we pull the job .

  10. #10GrainBinMan2019-04-19 21:21

    Makes sense, I didn't think of having two drums.

  11. #11td25c2019-04-19 22:01

    You have to look close at the picture to see both lines .

  12. #12Impact2019-04-21 07:40

    We do a lot of grain spouts like in td’s photo above. Most have a truss kitlike shown. We hoist a man in the basket and rig a nylon on the pipe. We shackle a 3/8” cable to it making a large loop. We duct tape thecable forming the loop, then set the rigger on the ground. We have a large steel hook with a wider than normal mouth on it. Put that on the headache ball and fish for the cable with the large loop in it. No safety latch on it though. But it works

  13. #13crane operator2019-04-24 16:18

    I've done similar to impact. if you can let the man straight to the ground, I've rigged a shackle above the ball, rigger on the bos'n chair. Rig the load, set the man on the ground, then load line up and the shackle rests on the top of the headache ball to pick the downspout. But that only works if you have room to set the man on the ground close to the rigged point on the downspout. Make sure the shackle is large enough to go around the becket/ cable clamp, but not go over the ball.

  14. #14styxplo2019-05-02 11:46

    Got a Bosun’s chair from a local marine shop. Working out great. Thanks

  15. #15td25c2019-05-02 19:07

    Good deal ! That's what we use most often . In case I forgot to mention we still harness the rigger in the chair . On this job we set him down on top of the tank and he hopped out of the chair to undo the rigging but still had him by the harness & lanyard in case he pulls a " Peter Pan "