Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Man lift safety belt

Ronray ยท 2019-01-03 02:13

I'm looking for advice and recommendations on how to pick a man lift safety belt. I will be using the man lift to prune tall trees. Also wondering if there are any kind of special ropes or hardwear for rope that I could use to carabine down to the ground in case the emergency boom lowering and retraction buttons failed.

Replies8
  1. #1funwithfuel2019-01-03 06:39

    I believe you're supposed to be in full safety harness and tether, not just a belt. As far as a rappelling rig, I don't know how that is viewed. I had asked a while back who used what as far as harnesses. Miller seemed to be the hands down winner. Hope this helps.

  2. #292U 34062019-01-03 10:42

    I'd advise you to consult the machine's operating manual and your local safety regulations. Not all man lifts are the same, not all areas have the same rules. The region I'm in all companies have prohibited the use of fall arrest belts.

  3. #3Ronray2019-01-03 14:54

    92u, why would they disallow the use of fall arrest belts?

  4. #4Ronray2019-01-03 15:53

    Funfuel, I spoke with Honeywell Miller at length discussing their products and they suggested a floor restraint non shock absorber lanyard to keep me in the basket so I don't get catapulted out. So I'm thinking a double lanyard that attaches with D rings at the hips would be a little less traumatic than attaching between the shoulder blades if the platform does bounce up and down?

  5. #5hosspuller2019-01-03 16:31

    a BELT concentrates the fall forces around the person's midsection. Injury will result. A body harness spreads the forces to other parts of the body.

  6. #692U 34062019-01-03 16:59

    What hosspuller said. Big chance for massive internal injuries in a fall if using a belt. There's an insane amount of force generated in slowing a human body even in a 4 foot freefall. The full body harness spreads the force out over more of the body instead of right on the waist.

  7. #7catman132019-01-03 19:24

    I don't think belts are legal anymore, you want a full harness and use a 4 foot fixed lanyard . I use a Vest stile ( Fall Arrest Full Body Harness ) this would probably be better if your trimming trees less straps to catch branches

  8. #8Ronray2019-01-04 03:46

    Great advice everyone. Thanks!