Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Man! We can’t get going !!

DPete ยท 2012-03-29 13:22

Had several jobs lined up all seem to have delays. 1) was going to deepen a 3 acre pond 5ft. it got flooded, 2) guy wants to build a house site and driveway with no permit, have to wait. 3) got the dirtwork and AB on a city street, neighbors are whinning about not wanting the project (delayed for council meeting) 4) bidding good job but found water in the cut with test holes,(job out for redesign and rebid (delayed) Well, I don't have to buy fuel yet LOL. Frustrating though

Replies15
  1. #1hvy 1ton2012-03-29 17:00

    Well, here's hoping they don't all get sorted out the same week, that's never fun.

  2. #2dirtmonkey2012-03-29 18:19

    . Ain't that the truth ointhead:Banghead. It's always something , feast or famine!! I had more time off than I wanted last week due to heavy rains and then a funeral out of state. Got back and caught up too fast. Now I'm diggin for small jobs waiting for the others to kick off. You gotta love this lifestyle or go nuts

  3. #3Big Iron2012-03-29 23:01

    rather be looking for hands to do the work than work for the hands to do!!!!!

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2012-03-29 23:29

    Boy do I hear you Dan I have 2 good (well, for these times anyway) jobs lined up, but they are both waiting on permits. They are simple things, but too many beauracrats trying to make sure their desk is full so they don't seem redundant. So here I am, still looking, but worried that it will all need done at once.

  5. #5D&GExcavating2012-03-31 21:32

    We need to find more work already! It's been so nice here with the almost non-existent winter that we've just been burning through our work that we had lined up for the summer.

  6. #6JTL2012-04-01 01:19

    The more you look at all the beuracrats that get involved with anything that needs to be done, the more it makes you think that Randy Weaver and some good ole boys from Montana where right!!

  7. #7pafarmer2012-04-01 06:43

    Sad to hear. We are busier than a two peckered billy goat.

  8. #8DPete2012-04-01 12:36

    Between OSHA, Airboard, EPA, SWPP, Environmentalists, Permits, Misc regulations, Fuel and parts prices and cheap competition I think we're all Bozo's on the wrong bus Love to see those scrapers roll though, it's in the blood.

  9. #9wayne.dellio2012-04-01 12:52

    How many month/hours do equipment operators generaly work per year in the northeast?

  10. #10pafarmer2012-04-01 14:37

    Depends on the Winter. This year I never stoped form 2011. Most years 4 to 5 months No work. California has a lot of rules and Regs and BS so those folks have it a bit harder even with the 12 month on schedule.

  11. #11CM19952012-04-01 19:01

    Isn't that the truth. All you have to do is finally get a job going and next thing you know you will have more white trucks with the alphabet agencies on the door coming by to inspect, nose around and generally give you a hard time. Since there is not much going on, whatever is going on is the only way they can justify their tax paid salary. One local municipality here has 7 inspectors and issued 50 permits last year....:cool2

  12. #12pafarmer2012-04-01 19:09

    And people wonder why things cost some much to do....Why do we as a people allow this to continue I often find myself asking. I don't understand policy and probably never will. I try to keep food on my table and a roof over my family head, lord knows I am not getting rich by anyones measure. I work long and hard and this type of crap really seems to bother me as I grow older and more tried.

  13. #13catken2012-04-08 10:14

    Pretty sad when you get a $100,000 job and the engineers and permits cost 25% to 50%. Then do the job and have a pee brained inspector that doesn't have a clue hired and an engineering firm to make sure you do it right. Then you have to run your rover over everything and certify the project so the engineer can submit his last bill to the owner for the final quantities. Dah it's the changing times I guess and not for the better I feel! Just a quarters worth.

  14. #14ColoradoGrader2012-04-12 21:46

    We can't keep the weather away, or from breaking down...I actually need to hire another backhoe operator, unless we can't fix our backhoe...

  15. #15DPete2012-04-16 14:25

    Now we're gonna go finally on 2 jobs anyway