Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manitowoc Sea Crane

ben94f150 · 2011-07-07 21:02

Here is a interesting pic. Must say. Only six sea cranes were built by manitowoc. This one is picking up a complete 3900.

Replies16
  1. #1gostr8r2011-07-07 22:44

    great shot! Wished I could see that one up close! It's boom looks pretty light, so I imagine it doesn't have the huge capacity that it would appear to have. No slouch tho as it can be seen there. Thanks!

  2. #2tool_king2011-07-07 22:47

    That is awsome .

  3. #3Greg2011-08-12 23:19

    by the load she is picking and the number of lines going through the hook block I would say she's got balls.

  4. #4ben94f1502011-08-13 10:10

    capacity This crane can lift 1000 tons

  5. #5Tiny2011-08-14 09:23

    All the old hands used to tell me that the old stuff (4100s and 3900s) would weigh about what they could pick . Going by that the 3900 is only 15% of its max ?? .... That's big by any standard considering its no spring chicken either . I'm just going by the 67/68 chevy work truck in the right lower corner

  6. #6chiefpaul2014-08-06 03:35

    I presently have worked on two of these cranes. I know and have seen one other. I would love to know more of the history of these cranes. I have always been told there were 4 built but nothing from any reliable source. Since I am looking at one as I type I might can post some pictures if your interested.

  7. #7old-iron-habit2014-08-06 09:15

    Please do post more pictures. They are most interesting. Can you give some information about engines horse power, how it moves about, self powered or tug, etc. I worked with big barge cranes as a much younger fellow in the Los Angles area but nothing near this big.

  8. #895zIV2014-08-06 20:06

    Some information I've dug up on these beasts: http://viewcenter.manitowoc.com/ViewCenterPublic/view.pdf?cid=1&fid=16139 http://viewcenter.manitowoc.com/ViewCenterPublic/view.pdf?cid=1&fid=16075 This link is a page and if you scroll down to the Arapaho Derrick Barge it has one of the 600 Sea cranes on it: http://tetratec.com/Products_and_Services/TETRA_Offshore/Heavy_Lift.aqf

  9. #9chiefpaul2014-08-07 03:44

    These are pictures of 601 Now in Nigeria owned by Fenog Limited. 602 is also in Nigeria owned by Kaztec. I always just thought that the Tetra barge was 603 but I am not sure. By serial number and the link above I see that indeed there is or was a 604 made. 604 may be the one on the Tetra barge.

  10. #1095zIV2014-08-07 16:03

    I looked up Fenog and Kaztec, here's the info that they supply on these beasts: http://www.fenog.com/index.php?opti...id=54:akpevweoghene-barge&catid=27&Itemid=145 http://www.kaztec-eng.com/images/pdf/Ekulo-Cheyenne-SPECweb.pdf

  11. #11chiefpaul2014-08-08 02:17

    Yes these are the two I work on. and with research thru the offshore industry I am pretty sure the Arapaho with Tetra is the 604. That leaves 603 as a mystery. I would love to know exactly what happened to it. Rumors that I have heard place it with Great Lakes Dredge and Dock. But I have no proof. Also heard one might have been transported to the Philippines but there are so many guesses as to the history and no factual answers. I would love to have a connection inside Manitowoc to verify how many were built and who they were delivered to.

  12. #12dbl6122014-08-08 11:35

    contact ben stalvey on Facebook for your info

  13. #13Wes92012016-05-23 10:32

    Between 2001 and 2004 I worked for Global Industries Ltd. during that time I worked on the the Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Arapho barges. All three had 1000t Manitowoc Sea Cranes. I'm not sure where they are now but that may be the missing cranes you are looking for

  14. #14Williams Marine2016-06-02 09:38

    Edit Watch this page SSCV Thialf SSCVThialf.jpg SSCV Thialf in a Norwegian fjord History Name: SSCV Thialf Namesake: Thialfi (Norse servant of Thor)[1] Operator: Heerema Marine Contractors Builder: Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding[2] Identification: IMO number: 8757740[3] MMSI Number: 353979000 Callsign: 3EAA4 Status: In service General characteristics Class and type: Semi-submersible crane vessel Tonnage: 136,709 GT 41,012 NT Displacement: 198,750 t max Length: 201.6 m (661 ft) Beam: 88.4 m (290 ft) Height: 144.0 m (472.4 ft) crane Draft: 31.6 m (104 ft) max Depth: 49.5 m (162 ft) Propulsion: 6 × 5,500 kW retractable azimuthing thrusters Complement: 736 berths SSCV Thialf is a semi-submersible crane vessel operated by Heerema Marine Contractors, and it is the largest crane vessel in the world. History Edit The ship was constructed in 1985 as DB-102 for McDermott International by Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding Co., Ltd. In 1997, it was taken over by Heerema Marine Contractors after discontinuation of their joint venture with McDermott, HeereMac, and renamed Thialf. Layout Edit Thialf has two cranes with a combined maximum lifting capacity of 14,200 metric tons, making it the largest crane vessel in the world.[4] but has lower height lifting capabilities than its competitor Saipem 7000 (which has lifting capability of 14,000 tonnes at 42 meters while the Thialf can lift 14,200 tonnes at 31.2 meters). It is equipped with a class III dynamic positioning system. Propulsion and position keeping is by six 5,500 kW retractable azimuthing thrusters. For shallow waters there are 12 Flipper Delta anchors, 22.5 t, with 2,500 meter, 80 mm mooring wire. The hull consists of two pontoons with four columns each. Transit draught is about 12 metres. For lifting operations it will normally be ballasted down to 26.6 m (87 ft). This way the pontoons (with a draught of 13.6 metres) are well submerged to reduce the effect of waves and swell. It is able to accommodate 736 people. Lightship weight is 72,484 t Noteworthy projects Edit Installing the pylon of the Erasmus Bridge in 1995. Decommissioning of the Brent Spar in 1998. In 2000 it set a world record of 11,883 t by lifting Shell's Shearwater topsides, beaten by Saipem 7000 in 2004 with the Sabratha deck lifting of 12,150 t.[5] In 2004 it installed the topsides on BP's Holstein, the world's largest spar. The lift was a record for the Gulf of Mexico: 7,810 t. The actual record for Gulf of Mexico is now retained by the Saipem 7000 with the 9,521 t of PEMEX PB-KU-A2 deck installed in March 2007.[6] In 2005 it installed the heaviest single piece foundation piles: 2.74 meters diameter x 190 meters long, weighing 818 t each for Chevron's Benguela Belize compliant tower.

  15. #15Williams Marine2016-06-02 10:18

    http://youtu.be/Tuf8MmF-Os8

  16. #16tjavery2016-06-30 17:00

    Technip bought Global and now owns their vessels. The Chickasaw had a small crane (compared to their other vessels). It was a Clyde. You can find the specs here: http://www.technip.com/sites/default/files/technip/publications/attachments/chickasaw.pdf But I don't think the Chickasaw is still in service. It's not listed on their website under the vessels they promote: http://www.technip.com/en/our-business/fleet-facilities/vessels I'd be surprised if the Chickasaw was still floating. I worked for Global 1998-2000 and it was a total rust bucket then. Very bad shape. You could rip stiffeners off the hull plating from inside the ballast tanks (when they were safely accessible). Sometime in 1999 I was at the new Global base in Carlyss, LA and came across this: For the life of me I cannot recall what vessel that was. It was sitting idle at the time. But looking at the crane, it looks very much like the Manitowoc posted above. I think I have more pictures, but they are 4x6 prints from cheap film. I'll have to do some digging... and scanning