Please advise where and which wiring manual to get for trouble shooting Volvo EW 160 B excavator. There is some problem with my excavator, it doesn't rev up in auto mode it just works in manual mode. It gives acclator padal code 128 PID 91 9 Accelerator Pedal Position even checked with volvo dealership, Got it checked by about 15 technicians, every one tells a different story. Some say to change ECU some say to change TECU, some say VECU while some say to change potentiometer etc etc. I have already spent lots of money but no help. I need a manual which is the easiest to follow which shows the location, wire colour and points to take measurements.
The manual is not going to help you because from what i see from here that you not gonna know how to use it, you’ve been given the wiring diagram and instructions to check the resistance on your potentiometer. It seems that you don’t know how to do a resistance check with your multimeter - so I don’t think that manual will help you!
The diagram is not clear and detailed I am unable to trace the wires + - and location of sensors and wire rootings
Did you checked the resistance of an potentiometer, does it change the value when you turn the knob? Or just shows open line?
The FMI 9 of your code says “abnormal rate of change “ it’s basically means that either some crazy monkey sits there and turn that knob from min. to max. and back with unbelievable speed ( which I highly doubt) or you have ferrite track worned out on your potentiometer and you rapidly loosing contact ( which is very highly probable) or one of your computers is have gone crazy. So start with simple stuff first - check potentiometer, check grounds, check connectivity of wires between potentiometer and computer. How did you measured the reference voltage on that potentiometer ? To the sensors ground wire or to body of the machine?
You not gonna have a + wire, your gonna have a 5volt reffernce with the ignition on, ground all the time and return wire with no electrical charge on it ( might be some feed back)
I measure to the body of machine and also tried to the wire which hooks to the potentiometer side and turning the potentiometer but value doesn't change . I also checked continuity of wires from potentiometer plug to TECU plug . I AM GETTING Continuity in 2 wires . But don't get any voltage by plug hooked on to the TECU and checking from potentiometer side plug.
Do you have ground on one of those wires? Should be on one connected to pin 14
Since we don’t know which wire is what - check for resistance and changing resistance value between all three contacts in any combination on the sensor side. If you don’t have it - the sensor is bad. It’s really hard to find flow chart ( or check procedure ) on line, keep asking for it on this forum may be someone has it . But don’t ask for diagram since you already have it. Let’s do it step by step, but stop antagonize this forum!
On the TRUCK APS ( accelerator position sensor ): White - ground Black - signal ( return ) Red - supply ( 5 volt reference) But this may be different on excavator!
Looks like site bobcatmanualonline.com has your manual and they claim it’s free, but the still ask you for credit card.
Thanx will check
1, Pin 39;40 Link got 2.5 V ( checked on pin points and ground to body of machine) 2, Checked from pin 42 to TECU body Continuity beeps ON multimeter even by TECU plug removed by one wire of the multimeter touching at point 42 and other at TECU body even by TECU plug removed. 3, yellow wire with Orange stripe continuity checked from RPMsw plug to TECU plug beeps OK. 4, Continuity checked on Black wire with white stripe at RPMsw plug to TECU plug beeps at 2 places in TECU plug . 5, Third wire yellow from RPM switch I was unable to trace . No beep from RPMsw plug side to any point on TECU plug . 6. Black wire on RPM plug looks like spair. 5. NO CHANGE IN RESISTANCE Even by turning the Potentiometer knob AT ANY POINT BY ONE WIRE AT POINT AND OTHER ON BODY AND EVEN BY CHECKING ON WIRES
No change in resistance means that potentiometer is bad it’s sole function is to change resistance! At this point you can replace potentiometer and see what happens, you need to replace it anyway. If problem still pressists then see what happened to the wire you couldn’t trace, it should not go any other controller because CAN BUS system share info. By J1939 through VECU.
Hi Thank you for all your help . Reading is varying inside of potentiometer but associated circuit with diodes resisters etc etc in the potentiometer can not be checked. Circuit has 3 wires black ; Red and white. We assume black is ground but no voltage on other 2 wires. If you can please clearify if there are any fix voltage for reference. Can you please also intimate which pin of TECU is for + ( I mean battery voltages ) I am getting Battery voltage 23.9 V on pin 17 with respect to ground .
Hmm?! So it is not simple potentiometer? It is got some more electronic component to it? That’s certainly complicate things! I think you definitely need to find flow chart then! The powers and grounds needs to be Tracey out by diagram or their pin numbers find out from manual. Grounds are little easier because they usual somewhere not too far from ECU bolted to machines body with few more ground wires. Don’t assume that black wire is ground - check it! Is all you have at that potentiometer is diods and resistors? Or there’s microchip too?
Check if you have ground on white wire, let’s see if pin out same with truck, and which wire don’t have connectivity? If it’s red than that’s a problem. I mean not “the” problem just yet, but still a problem.
Can you repost the diagram that you’ve been given and part number for that potentiometer - it got lost in so many threads you have started.
Can you please send me your email I am unable to upload diagram
Has it has microchip also its a whole circuit
Pot meter is basucally a complete circuit which is voltage to PWM convertor. It takes output sample and sends it again to TECU for speed control. The part number is 14503037
I don’t understand why sensor should need convert voltage to PWM, but I’m not good with electronics so I’ll take your word for it. You can kinda check change in PWM with ampmeter. But who am I to tell you? Looks like you know electronics better then me! You got the diagram - go for it!
Looking for your help please . Whatever I have in my mind I let you . Maybe I might be wrong because I am a mechanical person and have a limited idea about electronics.
It looks like you have someone there who knows electronics, I didn’t know what that circuit at potentiometer was for! It very well might be! Anyway I’ll do what I can. See if either 22 or 31 is a red wire, see if a red wire is the one you don’t have connectivity.
And I was wondering why they needed ground ther - that’s for that circuit to work!
The error you have is for missing engine rpm request from the TECU via the VECU. You need to check the power feeds and grounds to the TECU and VECU. Then troubleshoot both J1939 and J1587. The rpm control switch is a simple potentiometer. You need 5v feed and ground to the TECU, signal will be variable.
Is that what FMI 9 means?
work carried out as per today : Voltage are varying 5 v at speed control knob / potentiometer pin #3 TECU is getting 25 v "On operationally pin # 1 (TECU ) At VECU PIN 15 and 16 power ok IN 7 and 8 ground ok PTWC mode selector not working electrically ok .
Display is stuck in P mode . Suddenly the machine started to work in auto mode. Display started working normerl the PTWC switch started to work machine got race in auto mode . Working mode change properly but the engine is surging I pressed the potentiometer wires and the machine raved up properly . After switching off the machine when tried to restart now its showing ECU fault with 2 ECU signs and crosses on wires on display. Machine is not cranking.
You didn’t say anything about ground s at TECU and sensor, what about wire that you didn’t have continuity on before?
You know my experience with Volvo trucks - their wiring piece of excrement ! No other brand will have wires deep inside the harness get broken or start touching and shorting on each other, without any reason! Even Mack trucks with Volvo engines don’t have that! I don’t know if it’s the same with their CE though! It definitely wiring issue, check for loose sockets, loose lug connections, etc. One piece of advice- try not jam thick probes in to female connectors, they spread too easily! I always try to backprobe if possible!
TECU has voltage and ground the wire which I was unable to identify still can't trace. two wires come to ECU from the Potentiometer but the third one doesn't. The machine starts now but has display has ECU communication error. New development is that don't have fule display now.
You definitely need someone who is more knowledgeable to chime in on this, but when something weird going on with CAN BUS it might be terminators fault.
If you able to retrieve trouble codes and have multiple codes, run the names of sensors and actuators against the wiring diagram do get a hint to where ch harness, section of a harness and socket you may have problem in.
I am trying to go as per the Wiring diagram but is not that clear and complete and after printing it out it gets blurry .
It is blurry when you trying to read sensors/switches/actuators designations. Did you have any luck with website I gave you?
No luck . When I click on the website it takes me to Google and when I cut paste the link and search it doesn't open . I tried couple of websites where I can purchase online manual but dint find reputed legitimate site
Yes, you go to Google and you will see it there than klick on the link and it will open the website, find search window, type your machines name and find the page with manual, the only thing I don’t remember is was that downloadable or paperback. Unless Google works different in Pakistan.
if you own that machine it will be in great use to you!
I need wiring diagram of EW160B and service manual. Can anybody help plz.
I will re try
hi TVA Thanks for your support uptill now. I need more help I am getting follwoing errror codes; i. 187 SID 23 19 ii. 140 SID 23 19 iii. 128 PID 102 4 Moreover, i can not start my engines as IECU shows Communication fault. Guide me what should I do??
Two top ones - j1939 ubnormal update rate, 187 - can’t find, 140 - instrument cluster. On these beside checking wiring and powers/grounds need to measure resistance in fast network, gonna need specs out of manual But usually it’s 60-70 ohm The bottom one - intake manifold pressure sensor short to ground.
Your slow network should act as a backup to fast one.
Looks like IECU has two powers and one ground.
Hi No help yet . May be I check J1939 Terminating Resistor Can you please let me know location for Volvo EW 160 B excavator J1939 Terminatating resistors. I did find one its beside the fuse box but dint find the other.
Don't be cheap Buy a manual
I got the manual today will try to go through it .
Another thing, this being Volvo wiring - test your powers and grounds with a load. Ther may be one or two strands left in that wire and will still show power or ground and continuity on multimeter, but as soon you put the load on it, will have excessive resistance. Do not use the multimeter but good wattage light, you can go as far as 55 watt. Got to warn you though! Unplug everything but the fuse on the wire you testing so you will not burn your controller, and do not keep your test light for long - you can burn the thin wires. Just touch the connector and if you got bright light - circuit is good, if it’s dim - you got one or two strands left, and with a big bulb even those will finally burn up. Try to backprobe so you will not arch damage the business end of connector. I already feel guilty about suggesting this!!!
Thanx I will try and let you know. Today i tried to check resistance on my cruise control padal. It's the TWO way padal under operator RIGHT foot which moves the machine back and forward . I measured with the battery discnoticted i dint have any resistance on both sides " connector side and the padel sensor side even by the padel movement . I tried to measure voltage on it . I do get ground on the connector to the body opposite side of the padal sensor "but dont have any voltage on it ". Can this be a cause ?? I forgot to mention I disconnected TECU , VECU and IECU and the padel sensor but still the machine starts on just engine ECU and it moves back and forward but by depressing the padel sensor the machines hydraulics take lot of load. Dosenot work on auto mode " just works on manual mode . when i re connected the TECU nothing changed dint have any error codes. but as soon as I connected the VECU the error code of no communication between ECUs disappeared but the rest two codes 128 pid 91 9 and 128 pid 72 3 reappeared.
Is these codes active or stored?
Hi How do I know about active or stored OBD II not available
Is a iecu does not indicate if code is active or stored?
No the IECU does not indicate active or stored it just displays the code . I opened the cruise control padal cleaned it . I am not getting any continuity from sensor wires. I checked the continuity from sensor plug wire to the wire in fuse compartment its ok but no voltage on it . Ground lead ok. no resistance on cruise sensor .
What's the problem with your machine
I think you having more serious problems the this pedal sensor. Just unplug it for now and fix the main problem.
For what is PTWC switch used ?