Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

manual transmissions

Tyler1022 ยท 2013-03-29 16:56

is there any forklift makers that still makes a forklift with a manual transmission. just wondering

Replies13
  1. #1CM19952013-03-29 21:52

    Welcome to the Forums Tyler1022!:drinkup Are you talking about telehandlers or straight mast? Personally I see no reason to have a telehandler with a manual transmission. My Ol' Blue, a 1998 Gradall 543D6, has a hystat transmission and it's the best for the application.

  2. #2grandpa2013-03-29 22:53

    If I manage to live for ten more years, I might see the day when you can't buy a manuel in anything!!!

  3. #3Tyler10222013-03-30 13:00

    that will be a sad day but you are right

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2013-03-30 15:13

    I have an old Champ yard fork. It is what I think is the best of both worlds. It has a 4 speed manual, and a power shuttle for forward and reverse. It also has a clutch, but you can powershift the shuttle so you never need the clutch. I don't even use it to shift the 4 speed, just throw the shuttle in neutral and make the shift then keep on going. With the manual you can put everything in neutral and flat tow it behind a truck. It even has the tow bar to do just that. I haven't seen any new tow behinds for many years though, so I don't know if they are still made or not.

  5. #5CM19952013-03-31 08:43

    I haven't either. Used to be popular at the lumber yards, the flatbed would tow the lift out to unload the lumber. Moffett's pretty much replaced that setup around here. '

  6. #6Tyler10222013-04-01 19:55

    straight mast.

  7. #7OFF2013-04-03 15:27

    We've got an old TCM FG10N3 with manual trans & a clutch. To make things even better, it doesn't even have power assist steering. I've seen a lot of forklifts over the years and this is the only one (I've seen) with a manual transmission. And you know what's surprizing? It works well. We've owned it since 1991 and never put a clutch in it either.

  8. #8BillG2013-04-03 17:49

    "We've got an old TCM FG10N3 with manual trans & a clutch. To make things even better, it doesn't even have power assist steering. " Post a picture of yours, I have one and still running on the original clutch. About a 1969 model.

  9. #9OFF2013-04-04 16:46
  10. #10Dualie2013-04-14 19:12

    i still have two tow behinds but hey are reaching close to 40 years old

  11. #11BillG2013-04-19 19:02

    Here is ours, old but still working every day.

  12. #12Randy882013-06-29 08:17

    Can I ask why anyone would want a manual transmission in a forklift? There has to be a reason why you want one, what is it a automatic won't do as good or better? For the numbers made and demand for a manual I'd think its not giong to be cheaper than an automatic probably higher priced.

  13. #13Dualie2013-07-06 00:29

    when working with steel it was nice to be able to slip the clutch a little to make maneuvering easier. when dealing with 20' lengths on a 6' wide carriage and uneven ground it helped