Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Manually Operated Motorised Carriages.

Kiwi Logger · 2011-10-29 18:54

I worked for a guy once and after a bad accident he dropped around some old logging books , I was fascinated and intrigued by one in particular that had alot of old photoes of motorised carriages with internal drum sets before the day of electronics and all these were being operated by some very brave men sitting in the carriage pulling levers. Some had a double skyline set up , It would be great if anyone had some photoes of these in action. I just cannot comprehend anyone brave enough to do that job!!!!

Replies11
  1. #1lg junior2012-03-04 14:51

    I know I have seen pictures as you have discribed, I found this one and am still looking for more.

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2012-03-04 16:15

    Be a rough ride if the skyline ever came down!

  3. #3BDFT2012-03-04 22:01

    Don`t forget. These were the guys that would top a spar tree at 150` and then dance a jig on top of it.

  4. #4isx5252012-03-04 22:02

    I've got some pictures I will have to re-size -- notice the lower rh corner . Pointer-Willamette "Sky Hook" invented by Phil Grabinsky isx

  5. #5isx5252012-03-04 22:11

    I've got some pictures I will have to re-size -- notice the lower rh corner . Pointer-Willamette "Sky Hook" invented by Phil Grabinsky isx

  6. #6isx5252012-03-04 22:15

    heres one

  7. #7Jumbo2012-03-04 22:17

    Here is some information on the rig: Sky Hook: A practical cable system for carrying logs on a self-powered carriage where operator, engine and load all ride along on double cables. Phil Grabinski of Portland Oregon invented the machine. This information was borrowed from “ A Loggers Lexicon ” authored by Johnny Labbe and Lynwood Carranco. There is a photo of it on page 176 of the book taken near Deming WA in 1948. Side note: Phil Grabinski gained much of his knowledge and fame working for North Bend Timber of North Bend WA. Their old locomotive shop still stands and for years was used by MC Anderson as his truck shop. Which is located just east of North Bend WA near the old Tanner Junction. Somebody had a reload there until the early 1960s served primarily by the NP railroad and sometimes by the Milwaukee RR. They used several hayrack booms to both unload the trucks and to reload on the railroad cars. I cannot remember what was used for power on the hayrack booms, I was just in awe of all the rigging and sled rigs of any sort were a dime a dozen them.

  8. #8isx5252012-03-04 22:18

    one more

  9. #9Jumbo2012-03-04 22:25

    I find it interesting that Pointer Willamette at the time was based out of Edmonds WA. I always thought of them and a Portland Oregon firm. Any idea when they moved south?

  10. #10isx5252012-03-04 23:37

    i don't think they ever were in Portland there bankruptcy auction was in 1977 or 78 in renton where the kw truck factory is now. my dad bought some trailer parts from them in 1967 and they were in edmonds at that time. Grabinsky lived in the Buckley -South Prairie area for a while 1940's early 50's isx

  11. #11Jumbo2012-03-05 18:26

    Thanks for the correction, Jumbo