Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

manufacuturing

catwelder · 2016-08-23 23:00

as I think more about start my own business ( going to college for a business degree helps ) but I was wondering if there was a certain need for attachments ( or improved attachment ) or something for yall who do construction I'm trying to see if there's a need that I could maybe fill

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies21
  1. #1DDoug2016-08-24 09:41

    A 15 minute Google search will reveal that the market is saturated with attachment companies. And now many, in the "race to the bottom", price chasing, have gone to China.

  2. #2redneckracin2016-08-24 09:51

    I'll second DD's post. Good quality attachments are invaluable, but just about anyone who runs equipment can do some fabrication and can repair a cheaper attachment to do what is needed. I have made several of my own attachments because I'm not paying someone to do what I can can in my own garage.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-08-24 12:45

    Like everything, you have to come up with "Something new that everybody needs" and it will only be new for as long as it takes for several companies to copy your idea. Forget about patents too, they're a tool of large corporations and lawyers, unless you have a huge stack of money to begin with you'll never live long enough to get a patent, and even if you do, the burden of proof is on you to prove infringement when you sue. And even if you do all that and win, you'll likely never get paid. Welcome to capitalism 101.

  4. #4Delmer2016-08-25 08:58

    What everybody else said. The problem with a business degree is that it give you the impression that you know how business works. The attachment business used to be open to small fab shops to do a run of buckets or whatever profitably. Now there are so many more being sold and the price has dropped so much, that it's cut throat pricing at the lower levels. Something higher end (like hammers, demanding attachments, concrete crushers, Nye is one name that comes to mind) is an established company with in house engineers and product development. They can charge what it takes because the performance difference is greater the more complicated and demanding the product. Basically the market is saturated, you can come up with a good idea and make some money off it by farming out the production. But you're not going to build a business on one good idea, it would have to be revolutionary in a small market, or something with appeal across the whole industry.

  5. #5DDoug2016-08-25 09:14

    I believe the O.P. wants US to contribute that idea....for free....

  6. #6Delmer2016-08-25 09:25

    And if I had one, I would. But he might not be the first to get a shot at it.

  7. #7catwelder2016-08-25 13:04

    I came up with a idea the other day actually but help is always welcome lol

  8. #8catwelder2016-08-25 13:06

    believe it or not I actually came up with a idea last night but help is always welcome

  9. #9DDoug2016-08-25 14:36

    Well now...don't hold it back Sir....post away !

  10. #10lantraxco2016-08-25 14:48

    The rule of thumb in the US is that the third producer makes the money. The inventor never gets his idea to market, or only in a prototype way, the second producer buys the rights or simply copies the great new idea but fails to market it well enough to penetrate the market. Then usually a larger company or corporation will notice it, buy the little guy out if he's cheap enough or just copy it and pay the lawyers to kick the little guys to the curb, and finally market saturation is achieved with good profits and backslapping all around for the suits at the table. YMMV Specialty repair now, if you're good and find the right niche you can make a bundle because there's very few really good people in the field.

  11. #11catwelder2016-08-25 15:07

    Well since I figure after reading this that I aint gonna try and blow a couple million dollars to attempt something a bigger company will take and make cheaper. I came up with a root shredder ( yes I know if you google it some things come up ) well anyways I thought what if you took the idea of like a rock grapple and use its turning motion to be able to attach two blades and be able to stick them where the roots are at. the blades would cut the roots and the stump would come up easier and instead of having to dig up a large chuck of the ground around it that's the basic idea kind of like a blender well that's how I picture it in my head right now

  12. #12check2016-08-25 16:15

    Sounds about like my observation. I think those who are profiting the most are the same ones who opened up international markets namely China and got the laws passed that prevent us from competing. They put all the US independent name brands out of business and bought them out for pennies on the dollar, then put those names on Chinese products. Independent manufacturing in the US is playing against a stacked deck.

  13. #13lantraxco2016-08-25 19:05

    In SO many ways.. labor laws, health and safety, EPA regs, 18 different taxes, etc. One of the biggest drivers of globalization though is the inherent ability to launder profits any way you wish. If you have ten corporations, at least one of which is legally existing in a country with low or no corporate taxes, that's where your accountants take 99% of the profits as you pass your product around the world, raw materials to China or India, etc, finished goods to the US or the Euro zone. It's estimated that US corporations have over 2 TRILLION in offshore profits they refuse to bring home because they would have to pay US federal taxes on it. Patriotic much.

  14. #14Birken Vogt2016-08-25 20:39

    Many good people have suggested eliminating corporate taxes but that would be unpopular in the eyes of some....

  15. #15Truck Shop2016-08-25 20:56

    So much of what Lantraxco said is so true. Boeing use to pay it's employees $10,000 for ideas, I don't know if they still have that program . They wanted those ideas to stay in house. One man who beat the system Paxton in Yakima,Wa. He came up with several ideas and marketed them himself. Two of them everybody knows and uses every day ** the plastic clip and the twist tie for a bread sack**. Ideas have to be simple and easy to make to get any where. It's about how cheap it is to make. A friend of mine that runs a machine shop here in town-back in the sixties he and his dad built and manufactured the first automated grape pickers plus bean harvesters. The name of the company Was Pic Ryte. Note I said was. After everybody and there lawyers got done Pic Ryte died a slow death. Truck Shop

  16. #16check2016-08-25 21:48

    If they replaced income taxes with tariffs on imported goods, more products would be made in USA.

  17. #17lantraxco2016-08-26 00:35

    I would go along with that if it was a straight across the board import tax, flat percentage of value, no exceptions.

  18. #18DDoug2016-08-29 15:22

    O.K. that's a start, now draw it up have parts burnt out, bent up and start welding up a prototype. Put it in the filed, test, break, repair. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Once you have a finished design, then go thru and make it easier to manufacture and repair. All done ? Now take your design, Cad files to vendors for production, and place an initial order for say..qty 10. Get these in stock, and start selling them. Easy Peasy.....

  19. #19zhuxaioha2016-09-06 05:54

    after graduated from our university, I become an teacher. Now I am working for an equipment manufacturer. I feel happy about this. enjoy my work and life.

  20. #20Dutchcat2016-09-12 08:26

    Here Some ideas http://youtu.be/hLlL5D2vNH4 http://youtu.be/ptxMSYr_m08 Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

  21. #21Dutchcat2016-09-12 08:28

    One more http://youtu.be/mCYDwlrDSJ4 Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk