For a few who followed the thread Marie is back in action and it feels damn good....
Good to see her out and about! You never miss the tractor until you don't have the use of it.
She's sat for over a year now and now she's got her work cut out for her I'm so happy to have her back in action.....yours is probably back together now huh jusk I'm gonna look later at your thread hope she's doing you well
I'm getting back to it now and have painting on the loader frame to finish before reassembly. The tractor itself was pretty much done last fall, except for some small things remaining. As it turned too cold too quickly last fall, I didn't bet the painting all finished but have that underway now, in between some appointments at home. I miss the use of the front end loader the most and have a project that it would be handy for. I decided not to deal with the backhoe until next spring and then give it a cleaning, paint and some new hydraulic hoses. I can work with it like it is for now.
Jusk sorry to hear about your health life's full of curve balls for sure I'm just now getting things settled Down I lost a lot but not Marie and now she has some fresh bought property to run around on I'm pretty happy to stretch her out again....have you heard any out of 68 or Grady ????
Oneman, Its good to hear you are going in the right direction. 68 jumped on here when I did the shoutout to both of you. Grady has been here on and off and will check in sooner or later. On the health front, I'm just glad to have gotten to the bottom of it all, as the past couple of years have been unsettled with one thing or another. I did a day of chemo today and have another tomorrow. By all reports, the treatment is doing its thing and I am optimistic I'll get past it all. I'd like to be back up and running by year end. I am fortunate to have first class health care available to me without expensive travel or extra cost.
Hey 1man, glad you're back and back in the saddle. Marie still looks sharp. What kind of work are you doing with her these days?
I just picked up a old fixer upper with 8.5 acres of overgrowth in bad need of cleanup I'm gutting the house and giving it a rebuild let's hope it turns out as good as Marie did ole Marie is busy tearing down fences digging trees and stumps I lost a lot but not Marie I'm so glad of that now she can pay me back for the freshen up I gave her and no doubt she will do it...good hearing from you Grady how's life with you and your backhoe collection old friend
Here's some pics of the front back and side yard she's been running around clearing
Looks like a nice piece - pretty level and all - looks like Marie has her work cut out for her but nothing she can't handle. It's just another day on the rock pile around here. Today I broke an exhaust manifold bolt where it goes in the head on my P/U. I put a new water pump on it and figured I'd deal with that exhaust gasket leak but now I've got one broken bolt out of six with three still to go on that side. The other side came apart with no problems but this side is a different story. My backhoe collection hasn't got any bigger and I've even threatened to sell one and get a skid steer but I can't figure out which one I can live without. They're all good for something and keep me busy keeping them going. I wish I had one down in FL - I'd put a pool in. I better check - after Irma, I might already have a pool - or a pond. Keep us posted on your progress there and don't be a stranger. It hasn't been the same without you and Marie.
Yea I've been gutting this old place geez I thought I was done doing this but I guess I've gotta do it one more time....the house is a wreck but it came with its own pets mice old signs of termites arggghhh gonna get the exterminator in on that one and even a pet snake who likes to hang out in the house...:but this ain't my first go around with a place like this and with Marie I'm sure I'll pull it off...it's got a 24x40 pole barn that's packed with my stuff and even though the place is a wreck it's the first time I've had all my stuff in the same spot since d day....and that feels great... I'm staying with my girlfriend about 10 miles away and the camper on the property occasionally while I fix the place up ...this ones gonna take a bit to fix up but the price was right ... and it's very private... I blew a hyd line on a downrigger yesterday and wanted to be pissed but strange enough I was glad to be back at fixing things with my own very unorganized right now tools... I had bought some special grease gun fittings before d day and now Marie is in need of grease so I'm hoping I can find the fittings I bought and give them a try my tools are piled up in this dirt floor barn with no power yet but that's coming to... I'm gonna have to put in a new shop this barns only 8ft tall I still have my 2 post car lift and it needs 12 ft tall minimum...can't wait for the new shop but it's gonna be a while for that I gotta get the house done first so I can be living there.... The termite thing scares me a little but I don't think there still active I'll get the exterminator out there and replace what I need to... The snake haha he's just the house mascot.... Good to be catching up with you guys and great hearing from all of you....
Thanks mike it was a blast building Marie with the help of these guys there a grea bunch of guys and now she's back at it
I hear you with the starting over stuff. You never plan for that sort of thing but if your situation is anything like mine, you'll end up happier than ever. You've got the tools and the know how so might as well put them to use. Share some pics of the progress so we can ride along.
For anyone keeping up here's some pics of the new digs it ain't pretty yet but it will be threw time sure wish I was younger with today's knowledge funny how the big d takes it all and knocks you back to square one but yesterday was the end of it for the big d what a hell of a ride it was now things can go up for me....from here
Waiting on new trusses and roofing now for it I got the place gutted to the studs and making a lot of repairs to different things it's got a new well and septic it needs a lot but the price was right and it's mine some of you may remember my old shop and property I had a pretty nice shop but lost all that in the big d and have had my stuff scattered all over the place since until this place it's not much but I'll be putting in a shop when the house is done and I don't have anything organized yet but at least now I have all my stuff in one spot it's a mess but I'll get it together soon...
Some more of house
Glad things are lookin up.. You might wanna consider pouring your concrete & putting your lift/lifts "outside".?? I see your in "blizzard country" so that might not be feasible.. I see that ALL OVER down here in the South.., lifts next to the shop.. I even considered it..
Looks like you got some work ahead of you but at least the plumbing is inside.. ; ) I like Jusk's heated slabs if you need to pour concrete. That radiant heat can't be beat.
Looking good, You're lucky that you can do much of this work yourself and will come out on top at the end of the day. Keep us posted as things progress. Termites would concern me but its all been done before somewhere.
Pump guy to cold for my old bones in the winter for lift outside I’ll be putting up a shop one day I like the wood heat. Grady I managed to get a corn pellet boiler that hooks up outside that’s like new and I’ve had it fired up with water in the tank nd looped the delivery and return just to test it on wood pellets as it’s says it’s corn pellet it worked fine and I researched the btu on corn vs wood pellets there about the same so I think it will be fine.i actually got this while going threw the big d by using Marie to bury a Old horse barn foundation the guy says it’s about a 6000 dollar unit new ??? Jusk The termites do have me uneasy but I had them sprayed and after I put in the new trusses and floor Joists girder beam and some other wood they got into the guys coming back to spray every inch of wood Old and new he says it’s a spray that slowly soaks into all the wood and if a termite or carpenter ant gets in any wood they will take this back to the rest and kill them supposedly it’s good for 10 years...I hope he’s right if not I’ll need to do more....wish I was in a better situation but after this year I’d be tickled to have a lot and a tent to call home hahaha It comes with all kinds of pets Free of charge groundhawgs dug under the back part of course mice we even have a garter snake that came in the rear of the place and one in the front I picked one up the other day and took him back to the woods he was in the Michigan basement I think he’s the one we named slippery rear for the one in the rear of the house hell there maybe more but I’ll get them out and get it sealed up...
That boiler was a nice find - whether you use it with radiant heat or baseboard or Forced hot air. I'm just partial to a heated floor since I first experienced them. Very comfortable and even temps.
Oneman, Termites and Ants won't like the treatment and you should get many trouble free years. We have a kind of termite that likes wet wood and Carpenter ants can be an issue, but using pressure treated sills and have soil treatment done keeps them away. On my island place, there are lots of other things for them to eat, so haven't had any problems yet. Wood pellets are a big thing out here since there is a lot of bug killed timber and mill waste that goes into it. They even export some of the production. You have colder winters than we do here but a toasty warm house and shop is a welcome treat no matter where you live. One the bigger Island, there aren't any poisonous snakes or much of anything else. We have the usual garter snakes and some big spiders but they control the other stuff and are welcome here. Thanks for keeping us updated. We'll look forward to seeing and sharing in your progress.
Yes, you are right Juskatla, the carpenter ants are a big issue. They can enter the house and damage the wood works in the house. The snakes are also dangerous we cannot take chances with it. For keeping the house safe from such things we find out glass windows and doors from http://stormguardwindowanddoor.com/ to implant in the house. In this way they do not allow all these things get in the house.
Well it’s amazing the tools you can come up with for these old tractorsneeded a way to get a crew to stay on the roof it’s a 8 /12 pitch so we built this 36’ thing and it worked great
Few more
Here is the back with new roof