IMO all engines should sound like this........I imagine it's probably turning at about 120 RPM.
A friend of ours is a support tech for Wartsila. He has some interesting stories, especially around the natural gas generator engines. He started at one of the European cruise lines with the diesels.
About 40 years ago I got a tour of a very large commercial ship. I've forgotten what kind but I won't ever forget seeing a 6 cylinder engine the size of a 2 story house with cylinders more than 3 feet in diameter and manholes to accesess them.
That was one of the things I was so disappointed about the 28 day Pacific cruise wife talked me into a few years back, could not get a tour of the engine room. Were they afraid I might steal the engine for my motorcycle?
I have never seen a ship running old stuff like that so clean. Usually when they get that old there is oil everywhere.
Some Dutch guy has a Youtube channel apparently just dedicated to old marine engines still in service. Fill your boots.........but you'll need translation software because there are no subtitles on some of the videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOuRn84b3iySMZlnrT3Dq6A/videos
So clean even with all hand oiled cups on everything. Labor of love for those that appreciate fine made machines.
Had a ride on a old 3 cyl diesel boat in San Francisco. Looked similar but very small. Boat was about 28 feet.
Some of the engine manufacturers I've never even heard of.
When @Truck Shop mentioned Buda in the memories for truckers thread, I was 'huh' because I had so firmly associated Buda with marine. Then I educated myself. Dad and I built a 24' trawler from plans, discarding everything but the hull plan and making it an aft cabin live aboard. It had a China Marine 3 cylinder 20 HP that was originally an old German design. Nuk nuk nuk nuk, 7 knots hull speed @ 3 quarts an hour.
I have a vague memory of Buda being manufactured in Hoquim, Washington. I'll have to look that up somewhere. Probably the best museum I've been to for marine diesels is in Astoria, Oregon. There are examples of many of the slow rolling common rail heavy blocked dinosaurs that plied the waters of the Northwestern United States. Love the videos, thanks for posting them.
We took a cruise in 2019 and I posted some pictures of cranes in Rostock Germany. We were docked in Warnemunde. This tugboat the Petersdorf, was the first ship built after the war by a man who went on to build many more. This was in times of very little supply in East Germany, so the boat deck and everywhere you look is patched up with little teeny pieces of steel. They didn't have any big sheets around to weld up and build this thing. Some locals made a historical society and saved the tug and have kept it running. I happen to wander up to it on the dock and took pictures and got to meet them. Here's a Facebook post with little video of the engine running. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=248606676611963 Here are some of the pictures I took:
Buda’s are in many an old tractor.. w an American Bosch injection pump.. PSB & PSJ.. They’re still used in some PULL tractors.. The pull tractor guys snatch them up as soon as they come on the market..
Buda in the early years was in trucks tractors and marine, Allis bought them up and nearly every diesel engine they used after was a Buda Design.
A fine example and photos I took about five years ago of a Buda stationary. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buda_Engine_Co .
Its in german . the the sound of the old duetz, before shut off for the last time
Gray Marine was intertwined with Detroit. Below a Gray Marine 6-71.
That Gray is about a ancient witch
How about firing up a straight eight on two cylinders..?
And I thought only International Harvester made the only Gas Diesel engine. Have you got a hankering for long boating Nige
https://images.app.goo.gl/pw2MHVQmKNUa8WBT9 I have only seen 2 of these engines. The first was at a sewerage treatment plant driving a generator and ran on methane from the sewerage. The second was years later but a diesel driving a stage pump on a sand fill. It had been in a tug boat somewhere and was pretty buggered when I saw it and was burning 44imp gals of engine oil in 12 hours.
Gray Marine was associated with many manufacturers, including Chrysler, all they did was build the wet manifolds and "marinized" Industrial or automotive engines for use in boats.
pretty well as Mercruiser or OMC Relabeled engines with their brand name built by others.
Not really, just an interest in engines generally. Living next to the sea means an interest in things maritime is never far away either. I came across that MAN video by accident, but after watching it all sorts of others popped up which led me to the Dutch guy's YouTube channel. Then that got me to thinking about Gardners because I bet few on the other side of the pond have even heard of them. That led me to another Youtube channel.......... https://www.youtube.com/user/tangentgardner/videos
Like many other engineering companies of the day McLaren started life building steam-powered equipment. I've seen a fair few of their traction engines around at steam rallies. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J&H_McLaren_&_Co .
There used to be lots of guys running Gardiners in fishboats here. They were a highly respected engine amongst guys on the coast.
The man who can break a Gardner could also break an iron bar IMO.
I was in A school to be an engiineman in the USN in 74 and got to see and hear some of those moderate size marine diesels. We started learning about the 6-71 and they showed us the others that that could be run for each school they had. Waukesha, Packard, Fairbanks Morse, GM 8-268 and 3-278. There were more but that was a long time ago. The most interesting to me were the direct reversibles. I ended up on a ship with 2 ea. 38ND8 1/8 Fairbanks 1000 KW gen-sets, 4 boats with two variations of 6-71s and a motor whale boat with a Westerbeke. I have been fascinated ever since by the engineering of the floating diesels.
Me also, Went to a Diesel School in Vancouver B C in 1969, worked on a lot of different engines, union,Cleveland, cat,Cummins, Gardner, even had a 1-71 GM marine unit, my favourite was a Enterprise direct reversible diesel which slid the camshaft, great time, I often wonder what happened to all those engines
Like this one you mean.? I imagine that it was always a bit nerve-racking whether it was going to re-start or not when going from ahead to astern or vice versa while manouevring in a harbour.
It always amazes me when I see those things shift from one direction to the other and then back again. There were a couple of tug boats that worked the navy piers in Norfolk that I'm told were direct reversible. You could hear the engines stop and then the air hit when they went to restart in the other direction.
there were a couple of minesweepers in Tacoma with those setups. Wooden hulled to minimize magnetic signature, and those air start reversibles. The Waukesha on the diesel electric derrick was air start. Fire up a jimmy genset to make air first. Starter and piping in lower center, 1200 RPM 40Kw jimmy behind it.
You bet, I think I have a picture of it. When the instructor showed us how it worked it was a quite a procedure it scared the s$$t out of us, after all these yrs I still remember it. It really made a real impression on me.
I bought a bunch of used floats and piling years ago in Blaine. We met the pile driving contractor one night on the dock to take lines from his rig. The tug he was was running had a direct reversivng engine with wheel house controls . He came right up to the dock, silence for a bit then backed down on the barge perfectly. All in the timing i guess. Closest thing i have run to that was a boat with a capital gear in it, had about the same lag as direct reversing.
I worked a tug for a while, one skipper told me about a direct reversible. Six air starters, three in each direction, and if you were working tight, with a hot engine, and the air ran low.... good times. He had also worked a tug with electric drive, which was great as long as you could keep it relatively dry. We just had CAT 399's with Reintjes mechanical gears, plain vanilla.
Man I could only wish to have worked one of these!! Completed Ranken Tech in 1975, 10 Month Crash Course on Diesel and Gas Engines some drive train theory and competency classes, a lot on what soon became obsolete electrical, some Gas Welding a taste of stick welding and Out The DOOR!! First Shop Flat Rate.
Was on the USS Burton Island WAGB-283 Icebreaker until a year before Decom in 1978. Had 6xFairbanks Morse opposed piston engines. Was sure loud when running. Slow mover and rocked like a bath tub with a round hull
A boat/ship or what ever----------you should be able to walk from bow to stern and step off on land no mater where it is in the ocean.
Ships are made to float, boats are made to sink. There is a sub in Portland, Oregon called the Blueback, I think,you can take a tour of. I believe it was one of the last diesel boats in the fleet. It had either two or four Fairbanks 8 1/8 gensents. As I recall, the Fairbanks at the school I went to in Chicago was a direct reversible. Most all of that stuff went to the scrapper years ago.
https://news.yahoo.com/crew-evacuat...666vESDS9-rzXMPHZazM_R7fcT1FqGVVO_hpsPXXDHmvq
A lot of times I feel the same way about jet liners. You can't just park them on the side of the road when the motor stops running.
Because my shop/work place is located at the Walla Walla airport and the shop door opens to a view of the take off staging apron, I have seen all kinds of shenanigan's on the run way. I have spent my life working starting with growing up on a dairy. Swimming ? Never learned and I'm not going to bother now.
From the link above: "Registered in the Netherlands, the Eemslift Hendrika was built in 2015. Its cargo was not immediately known." I swear the dumbing down of the world marches forward at a record pace. The ship has deck loaded boats in plain view in the video and pictures.
Lost power, no way to drop them in the water. Ship appears to be sailed with the wind but riding in the trough. It will be rolling heavily. A powered ship at sea in a storm with no direction control is worse than a cork in a bath tub with a six week old cat.
Ive seen a 3208 run backwards. Does that count. And an engine in a D7T.
I've seen a Mack run backwards in an old tandem dump we had. . Odd seeing black smoke come out of the air cleaner. One driver did it twice. Never happened to anyone else.
I've seen several 6-71s run backwards. They were boats sitting in the water with a wet exhaust so they put out some white smoke through the silencers that made things a little exciting.
Lost the biggest piece of deck cargo (amazingly undamaged) and was successfully towed into port in Norway the following day. Now back in Holland and under repair.
https://www.historylink.org/File/7936
I have seen a dd15 run backwards Detroit said it was impossible until they pulled the ecm and read it this was also an automatic truck so no way to kill it ruined the crank with only 40000 miles
Plug the exhaust.
Yeah there's some pretty neat videos of runaway diesels eating a sweater.
Because of your post it caused me to remember the Wizard of id. About 10 years ago at the local WWCC community college there was the Wizard of Id , instructor for part of the diesel program. He was demonstrating how to kill a would be run away diesel engine with nothing more than a clip board. He had his assistant full throttle a B Model Cat then slammed the clip board over turbo intake which proceeded to crack and bow the Masonite clip board sucking it and anything else loose near by into the compressor turbine. He stopped it all right--Expolded the turbo. Fortunately none of the students got nailed-he lucked out also. But his face was red as a beat with embarrassment, his nick name became Turbo City.
Watched in Awe as a 318 with the Emergency stop intake assembly OFF ran away then ate a full size ST Louis Yellow Pages phone book in the blower lobes. Did finally die, as the blower drive shaft splines sheared away.
CAT dealer I worked for had several large permanent signs in the engine Dyno room, No engine to be started unless the intake was exposed with a flat pipe or flange accessible, and at least ONE metal clipboard close to hand. No need to ask how that rule came about...
This happened before I got to the ship I was on with the Fairbanks gensets. The aft generator was running on a test with about 500KW of load. The air intake was on the main deck and you could walk right by it. A yard worker was carrying a sheet of plywood in the vertical position and got too close to the intake and the plywood was sucked up tight. It pinned the guys fingers against the bulkhead and the plywood and put some hurt on his fingers. It sucked all the air intake ducting flat in a matter of seconds and killed the engine and blacked out the back half of the ship. They had just replaced all the ducting when I got on board and they put some valves in the ducting that would allow air to be sucked in from the space that the engine was installed in. They also welded bars over the intake out on the deck so another piece of plywood couldn't be held tight against the suction.
How did that rule come about? That must have been rough on the swaby's reading their playboy mags.
Always emergency lights on a nave ship. That and plenty of imagination.
here's a little runaway video
large
Woodward Synchrophaser system... sounds like something Scotty on the Enterprise would be right at home tuning up?
Woodward makes the propeller governors on aircraft as well. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1741040814...X6LdgGWd43lO0ubEG_7vvZQneHdbdIY0aAtSQEALw_wcB And synchrophasers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233943674882?epid=21027220072&hash=item3678213002:g:EGgAAOSwbahgljpw
Sounds like something used on a diesel genset. Maybe electric drive main propulsion?
It is a twin screw ship and they will beat you and the ship ( or plane) if they are out of synch. I have to do it by ear on the old plane.
Yep, we had Woodwards on the CAT D399's, not sure how that all worked in cooperation with the CAT pumps. No automatic phasing though.
I just had a 6-71 run away a few weeks ago. I've seen videos but figured it would never happen to me. Our old grader hadn't been started in probably 10 years. Fired right up. when I revved it it took off. WOW! Luckily the fuel line was just a rubber hose. I cut and it died. I never knew what one sticky injector could do.
Agree back when company had a few gen sets I know that many of them if not all had Woodward's. And they were fast to react to changes of loads, would make a D399 snap to attention fast.
And even if that D399 was only running at 1,200 RPM when the Woodward snapped to full fuel for a spilt second those 16 cylinder made it sound like a lot more. Especially if you were standing next to it in that van trailer that was barely big enough to fit the radiator. Remember one time while test running one of them I was leaning over checking for signs of any oil leaks at the front of the engine. I was well back from the fan which also had the full guards in place, but the wind off that big fan managed to suck my hard hat off and blow it out the back of the trailer. Just at that time the boss happened to be driving by! As I came out of the trailer to retrieve the hard hat he stopped and said he was afraid to get out of his truck to check on me!
I got a tour of a Brinkerhoff Signal drilling platform while they were operating some years ago. They had three engine houses all three powered by D399's, two were on line while I was there. When those engine came under demand it was pretty fast and real loud. Those were Woodward controlled.
We had Woodwards on the two Fairbanks engines. They were isochronous in that they would hold the engine to 900 RPM under nearly any sudden load change. The frequency meter on the switch gear would barely move when the load went from 150 KW to 800 KW in an instant.
That must have been a nice puff of smoke!
It was really heavy when there was a sudden lose of power and one of those engine automatically lit off at full throttle. These engines were a bit different than the run of the mill plant in that they had two fuel injectors per cylinder instead of the singles in a standard engine. We were pulling into a harbor in Bermuda and had a tug along side when something happened in the aft engine room and the steam plant went down. The exhaust outlet went out the side of the hull just below the main deck level on the starboard side where that tug was tied off to us. I was standing on the main deck when the engine caught on and the tug boat disappeared in a black fog. The tug crew in the pilot house bailed out coughing, spitting black soot and swearing up a storm. They asked us for some soap that they could use to clean the glass on the pilot house after they tied the tug off to another place farther aft.
A little off-topic but where would a person find a Woodward governor specialist in CA (no idea which part) these days..? Link for those who may not have seen the thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
An unusual marine engine I recall seeing, Napier Deltic ( spelling?). Cylinder arrangement was somewhat different, alot of HP and cylinders for the size ( about 3000?) British built? In '75 saw this engine sitting on the dock next to the type of boat it was used in. Some type of patrol boat the Navy had . Didn't hear it run. Think the story I recall was these boats had 2 of them and were fast. Boat resembled the old PTs, but 60's/'70s modern.
Deltic.
Looks like what I recall. Thanks!
18 cylinders, 3 crankshafts, and the famous "Deltic Drone"..... There are two of those engines in that loco BTW.
Interesting. Thanks Must have been a lot of work to keep running? Not to take anything away from the Deltic, But, Think I would prefer the 18 cyl Alco sound!
Within the confines of the loco bodywork I imagine it was. A fleet of 22 Deltics took over from steam in the mid-1960s on the east coast main line from London to Edinburgh. Six out of the twenty-two have survived the cutter's torch and are in preservation. They were the first locomotives in the UK that were officially authorized to run at a constant 100mph. Originally a number of them were named after famous racehorses, the association being with speed I suppose. Later most of the rest were named after famous British Army Regiments.
That sound is really great. Next to an old Alco, it is best locomotive engine I have heard, I believe. Jeff
Many of those Alco's were built a few miles from where I grew up. Did get a tour of the place sometime in the 1970's before they closed it down. Unfortunately they did not have any running on the test stand the night I was there.
Can't forget this company.
I worked at a job site for a time that had several Tugs and AHTS in the area. 16 and 20 cyl EMDs common at the time. One large tug had a pair of 18 cyl Alcos, start ups were noteworthy! Large engine sounds were part of the day, Alcos had a great sound all their own.
They ran the Napier’s in the river boats in Vietnam. I was taking a school at the Little Creek Amphib base in Virginia in 1976. I was walking around the base and came by a fenced in area and there were four of those engines with five or six of those boats. I asked one of the older guys about them. He said the ran huge horsepower and there were two per boat. These boats and engines came out of country just before the fall and had sat there ever since.
I worked on Alco’s for over 20yrs, I hated the 244’s as they were labour intensive, 251 were the best 6,v8,12,16, did them all, load tested them also, it was a thrill to load test a 3600hp loco, turbo exhaust inlet would be a cherry red glow, set firing pressures by setting individual fuel racks lots of fun at full load, I wonder why I have tinnitus lol
Will say from experience trying to repower a 40 to 80 feet fishing vessel while in the water is nerve racking and so is it when you pulled the Twindisc transmission cause it ate the spider drive. Some engines are cooled by scooper valves on the hull that you have to trust to be blocked off right by the diver since someone cut corners and didn't put a valve inline, or you have to loosen the packing on the prop shaft to pull it back away from engine/trans and hope you don't loosen it too much. Either or which is done wrong you will go down with that vessel before you got out the engine room.
My time at sea was pretty lucky being in the navy. I've looked at a couple of fishing boats that just made me cringe to think anyone went out on the ocean in them.
If the size doesn't make you cringe you should see the shoddy work done on them especially the ones owned by the natives. Makes you wonder how they even get out of the harbor. Nothing done to USCG standards or even ABYC codes for that matter, as redundancy bilge pumps, yeah that ain't happening and if so I doubt they would function when the time came.
EMDs in most of the larger tows on the Mississippi, a few had Alcos but a LIMITED Few, could always tell as one crawled up current against the governors. Smaller machines had Detroit Diesels. Is still Alco train engine loving company the Arkansas Missouri Rail Line where they are now upgrading and reducing their use. Side note, the Company I am driving for has a sister company, the Hermann Sand and Gravel company, the larger tow they own had a Catastrophic Engine failure and fire in ST Louis three days ago. 3600hp EMD power. St. Louis Firefighters Fight Fire On Tugboat - UPI.com
I saw one at Coronado. Our Unit was there for a Training course, Amphib school. Sailors made sure we saw the "Sea Bat", Ha Ha!, while aboard an LST.
The Company I worked for a time in the '90s, (I believe still have), 2 large Tugs with Alcos. V-16s if I recall.
I know this is a bit far from marine engines and the fact everyone is familiar with this engine and it's inter workings. I saw this engine run when Ted Small owned it. https://www.farmcollector.com/gas-engines/golden-gate-gas-engine-zmmz13octzbea/
I posted a Waukesha on #33.
I have found an interesting book on the 251, written by a person who knows the series. Lots of pictures and info. I never worked with these engines, just find them interesting.
Interesting. The only Waukesha I think I recall ever being around was in a P+H crane ( flat windshield!), may have been late '40s/early '50s vintage, that my father had, in mid-late 60's. 4 cyl slow turning engine running on gasoline. Engine fairly large in size. Seem to recall it being capable of being converted to diesel? I never ran the machine.
If you have ever seen or been around a Oliver tractor you were probably standing next to or looking at a Waukesha, gas or diesel.
That was one of the pair from the '60s in a diesel electric Navy derrick. It made 250 volt DC, 315 horsepower at 720 RPMs. The other one had a bad cylinder but it would run apparently very roughly. But if you have load stuck up in the air you didn't have any other option.
Those and Minne Molines. Hercs and Waukeshas.
I didn't know there was a tractor called moline, were those any good?
don`t forget murphy diesel. some big old crane engines. northwest used them in their big stuff
Thank you thank you Pete pilot. At the Union School in White Swan back in 91 or 2, they had a little mom and pop crusher and the jaw was run direct by a Murphy I couldn't remember the name of that till just now thank you.
Been around a few Murphys.....blub, blub, blub...they have a unique sound. Ed
Yes exactly! I remember you unloaded it to get it started and spun it up. I don't think it was a pony motor but it might have been my brain is fading.
Minneapolis Moline tractors were fairly popular around the midwest. A fairly bright yellow paint color the early units were powered with their own gas and some diesel engines, the company opted to use Hercules a few years as profits waned then bought up by White they were essentially yellow reskinned Olivers with Waukesha engines. They died off in ‘74
Guy I worked with for years his dad was a retired , I believe, Northwest mechanic and in retirement he did keep working on Murphys in his garage. He actually gave me a couple old injectors, think one is actually a rebuilt one. They came in wooded boxes with wing nuts to hold then together. At least one model had overhead cams that were run by aa shaft with worm gears at either end. I recall he told me that the worm gears came with no key ways in them. To time the cams you got things lined up and then used some special tooling he had to cut the keyways. Often wished I had made it a point to go visit him while he was still working on them to see some of the stuff I had heard about.
if i recall correctly, the Minneapolis-Moline tractors evolved from the old Twin-City tractors 1920's ? or earlier. they were popular where i grew up and lots of farms had one back behind in the 'retired' line-up. a Minneapolis-Moline U was the first tractor i was on when i was a kid. in the late 80's i had a 2-150 WHITE which was a 1975 vintage, one of the first grey/black painted models. it had a MM engine (about 150hp) an Oliver over/under powershift, with a Cockshutt/Oliver main transmission and outboard planetary hubs and a closed centre Vickers axial-piston hyd pump. apparently that old tractor is still running . those were the last of the tractors with an MM engine as far as i know. i worked at a WFE dealership and we referred to the Waukesha-powered tractors a s Knockesha as they had some connecting rod bolt issues, especially on the 310 turbo engines. i still have a copy(maybe) of the factory service bulletin that detailed the new 12point capscrews and hardened washers, and special assembly procedures. after final torquing, the capscrew head had to be trimmed down on one edge to provide adequate clearance to the crankcase during rotation
I think the British expression "built like the proverbial brick sh1thouse" is somewhat apt here........... Only 260 BHP @ 1300 RPM but a whopping 1100 ft lb of torque @ 800 RPM.
This is the "yacht" in which the engines are installed. https://www.feadship.nl/fleet/monara
1 for the Cat fans
Wish the guy with "camera" would move slower I was starting to get seasick!
It's called fire hosing and should have been edited into something more coherent.
Good term!
Fascinating old boat!
Engine hidden in straw pile!! That it and the boat survived WWII where the boat itself was pre WWI is amazing.
Not a marine diesel but easily could've been by the look of it.
More on the Deltic. Apparently the 22 Deltic locos replaced 55 steam locos. There were also 13 (I think) spare engines so that a power unit could be changed out for a spare instead of trying to repair in situ. I can recall on many occasions seeing a Deltic arrive at a station heading a 13-coach train but only running on just one engine. On flatter sections of the rail network they could still keep to the timetable using less than 50% of the available power.
I like this boat!
quite a boat
Quite impressive
Extremely impressive I would say. Their motto must be "Think Big".
Undoubtedly! The engineering is beyond compare The ballasting is impressive then add wave stabilization action to the support tables, wow.
What got me was at various points in the video (e.g. 4:37) each of the support beams had what appeared to be a dozen hydraulic accumulators mounted on them. I'd love to see the hydraulic schematic for that setup.
Would be extremely complex Would love to see the hydraulics system up close
Ah that's just the average weekend fishing boat, didn't you guys see the pole holders?
Not so much the power plant in this case but the design.
That is a darn impressive vessel.
Look up Mighty Servant 3 & 2 Both of these had a valve failure while ballasting down and sank yet were recovered. Impressive they could get them back in service.
Very cool
Turbo spool-up time measured in minutes by the sound of it.
Cool video on the Deltic engines....but damn, someone needs to burn that guys shirt. Ed
A marine diesel in a non-marine application. Still interesting though.
I've never seen an articulated ship before. I like the post but certainly not the subject of it.
I don't know much about ships, but that looks like an "oh, ****" moment to me.
I think much worse!
they were at anchor at the time. they had run into problems and laid up at anchor, then broke up in the swells and sank. Despite the nearby ships, 3 of the crew perished.
Only extreme luck would enable survival in those seas. It’s a nightmare that no sailor wants to experience.
The front fell off.
Something I haven't said, thought about in a long long time. In 1980 I was visiting my mom in Red Bluff on my way through in a truck. She remarried a man in late 70's-he was a little on the quite side. I stayed over using a spare bedroom, I noticed several photos of him in Navy uniform, for some reason I turned each one over to look at the back. The last one I was stunned-It had his name and USS Indianapolis. I asked my mom about it later-She said what ever you do-do not bring this up or try to discuss it with him-he gets angry and out of control. And I will not talk about it anymore than what I've said above nor will I mention his name. understand.
Older brothers FIL was Dewey Allgood, now deceased was Univ MO Rolla Head Football Coach. Dewey had two instances of his ships sunk from under him in WWII, he spoke VERY little of any of those instances. Was on the USS Beatty for his first, never learned of the second.
DMillar, it's been my experience that service personnel who saw the most speak the least.
Agreed My BILs step father was Charlie Stockhausen Aided me with a recommend to gain employ at Union Electric as we had been friends and family for many years Charlie came off the Chosin Reservoir as a First Marine He would allow glimpses of those hours at best, harrowing times and events I cannot even imagine surviving or having had to deal with.
My dad was on Kwajalein, Saipan, Tinian, Iwo Jima. I can attest to that. Once I tried to have him address the history class. That was a huge mistake.
Charlie started in US Army in WWII, Iwo, Guadalcanal, he too fought some bloody campaigns against a gruesome enemy prior to Chosin. Had a sheet of battle ribbons on his dress blues as they laid him to rest, very sad to see him pass but he had paid his price to redemption.
One lingering memory as Charlie spoke to us while reloading some .06 at the BILs, he reflected as to sitting in a trench atop a hill, he and his Platoon, using bayonets they hacked off the tips of ALL their rounds and reloaded the clips for the next surge. The ChiComs were high on Opiates, only way to stop them was carnage damage not thru and thru Mil Round typical injuries. He looked around at us, and sat down to a beer, Silent for the rest of the afternoon. We all knew he was reliving that moment of time as spoke it. He and only Six others came out from that platoon off that hill. I got that from one of the six I was honored enough to get to speak with. The gentleman wrote the basis of the book on this horse, from his memories of it: The Story of Sergeant Reckless: Korean War Horse Served with Valor | America's Best Racing (americasbestracing.net)
Really think they should try to keep that engine room cleaner! I think I spotted one finger print on a valve cover!
Here's a guy that looks as though he'd have apoplexy if he found a dirty fingerprint..........
A clean engine is a happy engine!
With all those exposed push rods, rocker arms, cams and throttle linkages I would think everything would have to be clean in order to keep those engines running.
And some People are beyond anal when it comes to their machines, nearly caressing and stroking as if in love with them and generally they are. Hate to say I could be as bad on certain machines.
What a great story to see something from a different era so lovingly preserved and cared for. And the soft, rhythmic music from that engine! Reminds me of a lister, but with more authority.
It might pay you to go back a few pages. There are other videos posted by the same Dutch guy. One engine apparently spent WWII buried in a haystack to prevent it being acquired by the invading German army.
Nige, have you ever heard of a Crossley engine? Though not a marine engine a mate sent me a video of it and has been restored to operating order. Its a flat (not horizontally opposed) 2 cylinder engine and weighs about 30 tons. The flywheel weighs 12 tons. Its original use was generating electricity and sat outside uncovered and unused in a coastal environment for 45 years. I can't seem to be able to post photos or video of it running.
There are some good pictures here. Amazingly clean for a machine shop no swarf to be seen. https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/threads/william-doxford-and-sons.302549/#post-3068309
Crossley's were from Manchester. Never had much to do with their engines but is this the one you were thinking about located in Bourke NSW.?
That is one big hit and miss engine.
Here's the longer version including the engine being started. The Crossley brothers apparently had some good teachers. One was apprenticed at Robert Stephenson & Co, and the other to W G Armstrong (later to be Armstrong Whitworth) on Tyneside, a hub of English engineering in the 19th Century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossley
I had to do some research but I think you are speaking about a Crossley-Premier engine. There is a paragraph in the Wikipedia entry on this part of the Crossley Company. Funnily enough they manufactured engines in Nottingham which is only about 20 miles from where I grew up. This is the only video I can find, and it appears to be of a flat-8 installed in a pumping station somewhere in Fens in the East of England. Not a very good quality video but interesting nevertheless.
Hall Scott 12V marine. 2,182 cu.in. gas.
Amazing as many of the Hall Scott engines are still viable after all these years.
During my career I worked on a few old fishing boats. Some were old and had some antique engines in them. One had an Easthope engine with external rocker arms and pushrods that ran a hydraulic pump. Another one had a Cummins V1710 525 HP V12 in it.
This is an unreal engine that's probably 120 years old ! It would be fun to walk on a catwalk suspended over a crankshaft. Titanic's Reciprocating Engines Excellent work Cian, I've been admiring it for some time. Your handling of the texture is impressive, the painted castings look photographically real. Two items for thought: -the reverser appears to be based on a page of Sothern's circa 1936 "Verbal Notes" book that appeared on the old TRMA... www.encyclopedia-titanica.org The second link talks about how he built the engine. Just watching the YT movie, it looks like a compound motor with each crank moving at different speeds for HP and LP. HMCS SACKVILLE MACHINERY The Third link is Canadian.
Here are a couple more pictures of that east German engine from the 2019 cruise. I have not heard of the engine but there it is for research.
Tractor Talk: 1932 Fairbanks-Morse Model 32E-14 Tractor Talk: 1932 Fairbanks-Morse Model 32E-14 .. www.dieselworldmag.com This looks like the same engine that's at Roach harbor for making Lime. Tacoma and Roche Harbor Lime Company (U.S. National Park Service) www.nps.gov
We pulled this one out of a 120 year old wood tug we were dismantling last year.The tug was originally steam.This was an 8 cyl Enterprise removed from another vessel and installed in the tug in the 1950 s.
And a 24 cylinder natural gas engine we unloaded and set in place up north this was one of 3 backup generators.The make was Jenbocker i believe,It was interested to actually see spark plugs on an engine that size.Generator shown on the hook
Jenbacher, Austrian, had to look that one up.
Yes the install crew was Austrian.At first they were very skeptical of the old P&H. But by the time i lowered the generator end in for conection with the engine with no big chain falls for fine tuning they were very happy.
Large engines ! As far as I know all large low speed 2 strokes, like those huge Sulzers, Wartzillas, Man B&W like in some of the photos in this thread are all weldmet crankcases/ blocks, aka in that world as the frame. Even some of the large medium speed engines like the OP fairbanks morse, and EMD's are fabbed. I know cast iron works and makes a very stable foundation, absorbs vibrations well etc. I just have a difficult time figuring out why on some very large engines that weight up into the 300,000 pound plus area would be manufactured using cast iron. I remember years ago seeing a totally destroyed 3500 V16 block from a tossed rod and piston, it was scrapped. Its just so difficult to fix as in welding cast iron, other than the costly metal stitching and pinning technique. Too me it is gamble of very costly proportions to use it for such an expensive engine. Curious what the price tag is on them? The big plus for cast or nodular iron is for the cost to the builder, weldmets are much more expensive.
Surprising number of low block, 6-71, Gray Marine conversions, still in service in SE Alaska seine boats.
The F/V Coastal Pride has a Gray Marine 6-71 and She’s still plying the waters since 1948. Keeps a good Metlakatla family fed. Hard to believe a wooden boat like that is still in service. I had the opportunity to sail on her. Not my picture.
One of the training films i saw way back when i was going to school as an apprentice, was an old scratched up Gray Marine training film showing the engine in a landing craft and the subject was how the governor worked. If i remember correctly lol
I'd bet it would still run with a little help. It might runaway though.
It's been setting in that spot for almost 40 years.
That is an oldie what with the external fuel pipes on the head. wonder if it is a low block or high block? Anyone who knows what that means raise your hand! I saw a couple low blocks but never actually worked on one.
There's a couple different films on YouTube
Head gasket, liner protrusion.
Do I win the prize?
Steam. Home - S.S. Keewatin Visit S.S. Keewatin in 2024 at the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston. Built in 1907 in Govan, Scotland KEEWATIN is the world’s last Edwardian (TITANIC-era) passenger steamship. Together with her sister ships she carried cruise ship passengers and cargo across the Upper Great Lakes... sskeewatin.com
Superb. The yard, Fairfield SB&E at Govan, which built SS Keewatin is still in business although it's now owned by BAE Systems, and is a purely naval rather than a merchant shipbuilder.
good bump and welcome, wolfism.
That'd be the only reason I'd want to go on a cruise.
Thank you, and hello from the east coast of Scotland.
Gray was just a rebadged Salt Water Chevy/ Driptroit. Dealt with a few oddities on Alton Pool, Mil spec drive systems behind old beater Detroits, one short distance shuttle boat had Hercs but were a Military base engine, a few Cats, and amazingly three gas 1950 Buick Straight Eights(that one caught fire and sank). Buda and DD stationaries or in cranes/winch works. Bigger boats EMDs one had ALCOs and another antique had two big Baldwins, salvaged engines bought cheap. Heard of one had a Fairbanks but never saw it.
We visited some of that in 2009, we drove up the west as far as Fort William and then down through Pitlochry, across to Arbroath ( had the smokies ) and down across the Tay at Dundee, St. Andrews, and spent a couple of nights in Edinburgh. We have friends in Manchester-ish that we stay with.
That's a shame, I had a 1950 Buick with the straight eight. Even with the Dynaflow two speed "not really automatic transmission" I think it had more get up and go than the 1962 Ford with the 352 V-8 I had a couple years after. I 'm thinking that Buick was only about a 248 Cubic inch 8 although it may have been the "big" 263 cubic inch 8!