Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 30B or 30E?

mark18mwm ยท 2016-09-02 00:01

A couple month ago I picked up a Massey Tractor/loader/back hoe. The guy selling claimed it was a 50C. I knew it was not by the fact it had a 3 cyl Perkins diesel and not the 4 cyl in the 50C. I then thought it was a 20C going by the decals on the loader, but this thing has had at least 4 coats of paint and who knows what decals were put on or even if the whole loader had been changed. Then I was told it might be a 40C. Now I am thoroughly confused so I call the Massey dealer here with the serial number, he is no help,but to his credit he tried looking for a way to tell them apart. Well, I was looking up the specs of the Massey industrial tractors and noticed the wheel base was different There is 75" on the 20C, 77" on the 30, and 84 (if i remember right) on the 40. I have 77", so I think I have a 30B or 30E now. Does anybody know how to tell which one I have? It is a nice little hoe and the price was right and I am happy with what I have but I need to know what it is for when I need parts. A while back I asked you guys some questions about it when I thought it was a 20C and you guys gave me some good tips and advise. I'm hoping you can help me out again. To make it even more confusing I found the tags on the loader (32A, hoe 52A and the cab (which don't belong on it, it's kind of cobbled on) as a 50C. I guess that's where the previous owner thought it was a 50C.

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2016-09-02 20:45

    32A loader with direct linkage and 52A hoe would indicate a 20C. The 30B had 34A loader with 4 bar linkage and usually 54A hoe. Should have a manual shuttle transmission. It's an industrial version of a 245 which is a newer version of the 135 Ag tractor.

  2. #2mark18mwm2016-09-04 14:27

    Thanks for the reply. The hoe and loader bucket are direct link not four link. It does have manual shuttle 6 speed (3 speed with hi & low). I also found out I was wrong about the 20C having 75" ( actually74.5") wheel base, that is the 20B. The 20c is a 77" wheel base as well as the 30B. So now I'm back to thinking this thing is a 20C. I sure wish the Massey dealer would have been able to find everything out with the serial number. This is pretty frustrating. I appreciate your information, hopefully I will figure this out before I need parts.

  3. #3mark18mwm2016-09-04 20:02

    Ok, I think I have it identified now (I hope). I think it is the 20C judging by the brakes. It has drum brakes and it looks like the 30B has internal brakes. Thanks Welder Dave. Is it possible the loader was replaced with a 52A? Will it physically fit the 20C?

  4. #4Welder Dave2016-09-05 00:44

    The hoe is a 52A (11' 6" dig depth). I have book on ** Industrial and there is no such thing as a 20B in either N.America or the UK. 32A loader pretty much guarantee's it's a 20C as it's at the bottom of list on TLB's. 52A hoe is also the right hoe. All the other machines use a 4 bar bucket linkage. The drum brakes and 3 cylinder are other indicators pointing to a 20C. You won't tell anything from the serial number except the year. ** used the same 9A serial number for all of their under 100 HP tractors, Ag and industrial, forklifts etc. Hopefully this link of 20C loader opens. Only thing that appears wrong is the 20C wasn't available with instant reverse transmission. http://crittersworld.tripod.com/20c.html

  5. #5mark18mwm2016-09-05 10:48

    Thanks Dave. I think i got it figured out now with your help. The link worked fine and with it the serial number listing on the link it would be a 1977. Thanks again.