Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson 500B steering issue

Mattman89 · 2020-10-20 23:41

I bought a low hour 500B powershift with a v8 510ci Perkins diesel. Gauges show I’ve got low track oil pressure. Manual states it should be 170-215psi but RH track is about 150 and LH fluctuates from 150 down to about 70psi. Power shift lube is also low. Should be 30psi but is running just over 10. I’m pretty sure that this is causing it to not like to turn to the left. It’s hesitant to lock up the left track , and the left track is very sluggish/weak when I lock the right track... Could this be the steering valve that diverts pressure from the drive clutch to the brake clutch? Is there a pressure regulator somewhere? What is the source of pressure on these units.... torque converter? Note. This machine does not have a hand clutches. Steering is done primarily with foot brakes Also leaks a healthy amount of atf into the bell housing, about 2L after 3-4 hours of work. Says in manual to drain every 1k hours ANY information you can give me on this old Italian s.o.b would be appreciated Otherwise, a great machine, undercarriage is great, hydraulics are strong and the engine runs like a top Il try to get a pic of what the pressures are doing while driving

Replies4
  1. #1Welder Dave2020-10-21 01:46

    The 500B's also had independent control of each track which allowed for counter rotation for spot turns. Steering is wet type by clutch and brakes. I would guess standard steering (clutching and braking) is done with the foot pedals and I suspect 2 of the 3 levers on the left are for independent control of the tracks. I think counter rotation was a pretty unique feature and ahead of other machines. I think the leaking could be related to the steering issue? A leak could certainly cause a loss of pressure and the oil was low. The ** industrial machines were ahead of their time.

  2. #2Mattman892020-10-21 01:52

    Thanks for the info! Yes the spot turn is really handy, but it’s very sluggish, have to rev the **** out of it to think about spot turning, or else it just kind of sits there. The small lever beside the track control is high/low range select, high range is also quite sluggish, only works in ideal, flat, non obstructed conditions and looses all momentum and speed if I try and turn

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-10-21 01:55

    Explore the leak, it might be the cause of all your problems. Also see if there are filters that can be checked and replaced.

  4. #4Mattman892020-10-21 19:36

    The brake spool valve also looks a bit funny, like it’s not retracting all the way, could be from lack of pressure but il start with the leak and filters