Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Massey Ferguson Commercial Backhoe

Jeff Manfre ยท 2022-11-29 10:42

So my Dad bought a Backhoe. Serial # 9A 258836. Appears to have a 4 cylinder Perkins diesel. I am trying to find model and possible years to order parts. Maybe 50B? I've searched for 2 days..Thanks in advance

Replies11
  1. #1JBrady2022-11-29 12:35

    A picture is worth a thousand words.

  2. #2Nige2022-11-29 12:48

    And you'd have got much more exposure if you posted the question in the Backhoe Loaders section............

  3. #3Jeff Manfre2022-11-29 15:13

    I tried to upload pics. Thanks for suggestion..I'm a Newby . If you have email I can send pics?

  4. #4Nige2022-11-29 15:46

    You now have 3 posts and can upload photos. Try it now.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2022-11-29 16:43

    I have a ** 30 that has the 9a

  6. #6Welder Dave2022-11-29 18:01

    Don't think it would be a 50B. That is a UK model that doesn't use the 9A prefix. It could be a 50A but also several other models as all ** tractors industrial and AG under 100 HP all used the 9A serial number. Pics. would be a huge help. Could be a 30, 50A, 40B, 50C, 70(if really big) and possibly a couple other models. Engine could be a 4-203, 4-236, 4-318. Some engines have a tag on the intake manifold. Don't think the 4-248 was used in industrial tractors but maybe. I'll look up the 9A numbers and can tell you the year.

  7. #7Welder Dave2022-11-29 18:10

    It is a 1977 so that narrows down what model and what engine. I doubt it's an MF70. I'd guess either an MF40B with an AD4-203 engine(54 hp) and MF34A loader or an MF50C with an AD4-236 engine(62hp) and MF300 loader. The 40B and 50C both use a 54A backhoe. Should be tags on the loader and backhoe attachments. Transmissions could be either manual shuttle or instant reverse. They are good machines.

  8. #8Jeff Manfre2022-11-29 19:31

    Thank you very much for all your information.

  9. #9Jeff Manfre2022-11-29 19:41

    Here goes a picture? Every upload says to large. Thank you anyways. My cell is 205-296-4393 if anyone wants a text pic . Thanks so much

  10. #10Jeff Manfre2022-11-29 19:45

    Has an 84 inch front bucket. Here's 1 more try on upload pic

  11. #11Welder Dave2022-11-29 19:46

    Once I figured out how, I click on upload a file and go to the gallery on my phone and click on the pics. I want and then done at the top right corner. Then post reply and a link for the pics. shows up on my response. Clinking on the link gives a bigger pic. 84" bucket sounds more like a 50C. Did you look to see what model of loader? Tag is usually on the left side brace, going to the front, for the upright boom support/pivot. Probably not a good idea to post your phone number on a public forum.