I know they use to make them. I looked at one while shopping for a dozer last year. I was wondering why I'd hardly ever heard of them, and what they were like? Do any of our "long in the tooth" operators here have any experience/knowledge about them? Were they just not up to the task, and that's why they're not mentioned ever? Possibly made for ** by someone else?:beatsme I'm just curious of their history & quality.
Never heard of a ** dozer but I'll put money on a Perkins diesel......the hand priming pump for the fuel system will be on one side of the engine and the bleed screw will be on the other. So when you change a filter in the field, or replace the AC lift pumps which are forever leaking oil, you will need two people to prime the fuel system. This is great if you are on your own and 11 miles from the nearest person with no transport Just thought I'd share that with you
Found this on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/MASSEY-FERGUSON...4QQihZ006QQcategoryZ40111QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The one I looked at did have a Perkins diesel. The dozer was about the size of my 350, but don't remember the model #. I thought those Perkins engines were good? I've no experience with them, only what I've been told.:beatsme Thanks! I'm curious as too how big a dozer they made. Anything that would've given competition too AC Cat IH etc. in the old days?
Perkins are OK, they had their "things" but they were generally good to get parts for. From what I can find the ** crawler was a very limited run, only the one size.
I've found various model #'s, but few pics. Here's there model 330 from this site: http://www.pettittrucks.com/Dozers.html
Here's their model 200 track loader I found here: http://www.machinerytrader.com
One of my customers used to own one of those he bought it in poor condition and it got worse from there. The more things we repaired the more things needed repairing. Till finally the rear end (RING & PINION) went out and that was the last I saw of it. As I remember it was under powered even for a small crawler and the tracks were very narrow not an ideal machine. Of coarse remember the the first thing I said it was very well used when I first saw it. Oh yeah it was a pain in the *** to work on as well not mechanic friendly!
I saw one at an antique machinery show once, it was about the size of a D7 and had cables up front. That's about all I can add.
Massey Ferguson crawlers Hi, Folks. From what I can remember, the Massey Ferguson crawler range, track loaders and dozers, was made by some obscure Italian firm under the ** badge. Many did have Perkins engines in them and that was their most reliable part. (Perkins must have had something going for them for Cat to buy them out just to get the engine making facility.) I only ran two out of the range and I couldn't tell you how extensive the range really was. I ran a ** 3366 track loader and later a ** 200 track loader. I also know that they had a 2244 at the same time as the 3366 and that these were replaced by the 200 and 300 respectively. They also had a 400 track loader and presumably an equivalent 400 dozer but I wouldn't swear to the latter. The 3366 was around the same size as the Cat 941 track loader, perhaps just a tad smaller, and worked O.K. while I was on it, about a month. However, there were never a LOT of them around where I worked in DownUnder and I can only assume that there were a few lacks affecting this - like lack of service, lack of spares, lack of machine availability due to downtime, etc..
here ya go , autotrader.ca
ops That must be the military version with stealth paint!!
struggling here
I don't think Massey's industrial line ever sold very well. Never saw many around. I think the dozers you found were as big as they sold in the U.S.
Military version. Hi, Steve. Obviously using some Stealth bomber technology - didn't show up on my radar either.
C'mon you guys, haven't you ever seen a grey market machine before??:cool2
http://www.heavyequipment.canadatrader.com/imagesdotnet/images
http://www.heavyequipment.canadatra...=newbrunswick&info=0_MASSEY_FERGUSON_26547749
The link worked that time.:thumbsup That 200 looks like the dozer I looked at.
The link works, but there must be some trick to lifting the picture out of it and posting it, cause I can't do it either, at least not easily...
I have found the following old brochures covers showing some of Massey Fergusons crawlers the D700 dozer was made in conjunction with the German manufacturer Hanomag, to be honest they were Hanomag dozers with an ** badge on them!!
Part of Hanomag was bought by AGCO Corp, which owns **...the Earthmoving section was sold to Komatsu in the 90's.
Hanomag are an old company that built lots of track-type vehicles...
There were several sizes of ** crawlers,The biggest was 125 hp,used V8 perkins.Called the 500.The 400 had a 354 Perkins ,about D4C cat size,two speed converter trans .Ther was a 300 with 4 cyl.Perkins plus smaller agricultural models .Made in Italy .I think Landini made them.I operated a 400 dozer,it went well.Also was a 200.The "100" series were the industrial models.
This is a little info I found on the ** dozer and loader lines with prodution periods and buy-out info. They had several Crawlers dozers & loaders starting with the MF2244 1967 - 1971 MF3366 1967- 1971 MF200 1966 - 1976 MF200B 1976 - 1977 MF200C 1978 - 1979 MF300 1969 - 1977 MF350 1978 - 1979 MF400 1971 - 1976 MF500 1968 - 1973 MF500B 1973- 1977 MF600C ?? ?? MF700C 1975- 1978 There was the Hanomag Dozers from about 1975 or 76 till about 1982. Massey sold the Hanomag line to Terex somewhere about 1982 or 83. link
A couple of years ago I got to run a 300 ** Had mile long tracks a great little finish machine straight with a tilt blade. The only way to see any ov the blade was to look down between the track and hood. It was a straight shift with a power reverser. The pump was worn out and the blade was slow Dad didnt like to run it so he ran the D5. once I got used to the blade speed it was ok. All the smaller dozers in the ** line as well as some of the excavators were made in Italy. I think it was the tank manufacturer Ansaldo that produced them the larger ones were Hanomags. The main pisser I didnt like was the tilt was on another stick beside the blade control like to have bent the blade lever a few times. I would have bought one in a minute but the parts are scarce now. Rollers for them is a top priority. I just recapped a few for a man in Alabama and have a spare set of idlers to build up this spring. A man in Sheffield Alabama had a smaller 200 loader with a rare attachment the track frames had trunion pegs like a straight blade and a set on the loader it had C frame that attached to the trunions and then went up to the loader arms. All factory set up he said it was a little imbalance but better finishing than with just the 4in1 bucket.
I mentioned before while looking around at lil' dozers I looked at an **(200 I think?). The guy that was selling it always has atleast 5-6 dozers for sale at a time. I think he was asking $5500 for it IIRC, it was about half what the other comparable small dozers were he had. I was kinda suprised to see the "**" on the side. The dozer was very clean (and not cuz of fresh paint), and fit my criteria for what I was looking for. It had a 6way on it too. It's just the fact I'd never heard of an ** dozer before that, I figured parts would be impossible to find. It may have been why it was price like it was.:beatsme Might could've been an alright machine for someone who needed something small, and didn't need to try and make money with it. The impression others have given me on their Ag equipment is Massey Ferguson made/makes good stuff. I stumble across a pic of an old ** excavator online somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it again.
If anyone offers you an ** crawler .. hold out a cross and back away .. They were a pathetic attempt by a company that made good small wheeltractors, to get into the, reputedly-highly-profitable, small crawler market. They were a POS. They ran a differential instead of steering clutches, a la Cletrac/Oliver small crawlers .. and we all know what a successful system, that is. Find a soft spot, and the crawler with a differential will promptly turn into it. You have to stand on the brakes continually to get them to steer straight, whilst pushing under load. If the blade bites more on one corner, it will promptly turn that way. Add in, an Italian-designed-and-made machine, for a company in another country .. and a company that only half-heartedly supported them when they were new .. and you have a liability termed, 'a millstone around your neck'. Undercarriage for the small ** crawlers is totally unobtainable .. the Perkins engine, is the best part of them .. and anyone who buys one, deserves all the grief they get. Once you own one, your chances of offloading it again, to some poor unsuspecting sucker, are about zilch ..
I've got one... great machine The **'s are like most italian designed machines. Well built, but no parts, lots of corrosion, and always in need of a good tune up. I'm running an MF300. Been using it for forestry work. Great machine, if you know anything about mechanics. It's a little too big for the small jobs and too small for the big jobs, but it costs nothing to run. I can do a job that my D7 would do for about a third the cost. The perkins starts just by looking at it, and no pups starter to deal with. The 300 and higher series had hydraulic steering clutches. Has a great floating position for back dragging, and enough mass to take down fair size trees. Undercarriage parts are a bitch to find, but you can modify the machine quite easily. Lets face it, much of what came out in those days is no picknick either. Parts are getting scarce, or crazilly expensive for the td, and hd's. Even the older cats. I wouldn't sell mine to a novice, but i'd pick up another in a hearbeat.
Welcome to HEF rumjerk! :drinkup
Well I don't know a thing about ** crawlers. I can say this much though We tested an 1155 ** tractor at a sod farm I worked at as a youngin. IT had a V8 Perkins in it. That was the loudest most obnoxious thing I've had the displeasure of being around, darn thing sounded like a swarm of angry hornets that you could hear literally 5 miles away. They are dependable though. Why else would they use them on reefer trailers that are often left unattended for days sometimes.
I found one of these the other day. A friend of mine has had it sitting in the very back of his yard for a few years. He says it doesn't move and told me he'd sell it to me for a couple grand. After reading about them here, I don't think I need to have this thing. It's a MF400 BTW
looks like somebody put the tracks on backwards on the left side
Very observant! Maybe it's made that way, for going in circles?
In the late 70S or early 80S I tried A ** . It was very advanced for the time Hydrostatic trans,very good fuel milage, etc. I found it awkward to run and I hated it Bill
Landini made ** crawlers Massey Ferguson owned Landini and Perkins from around 58 until it fell apart in the nineties. Landini is now owned by Argo, and from what i can tell, only makes crawlers now. Some of these were sold in the US through Massey Ferguson dealers.
A lot of small operators made good money with the little MF200 Drotts & Dozers.They ran like a top on almost no fuel & almost all were equipped with ripper & 4in1 bucket.Many Australian contractors started out with the 200s & 300s,doing demolition,excavation,tidy ups,etc. The MF200 had the best dump height on a drott in it's class.It was attractive to owner operators for this reason. After ** Industrial fell over in the 80s,parts were harder to come by....so a lot of these machines never got the maintenence they required.Many have retired to farms & blocks now,where they still do a good job for land owners. As for track gear..I can put you in touch with 3 dealers who can get any U/C you need.(Just ask any Berco agent).Parts can be got through wreckers in the UK ,Europe & Australia. There is a Company in the USA who supplies aftermarket ** parts & a Co called St Joseph Equipment used to deal in ** Industrial. I owned a 2244 Drott for the past 4 years,& it worked every weekend for me with no problems,& it's Perkins AD3-152 ran on a sniff of fuel.Never,ever had starting/running problems....& it was 35 yrs old. 2244s were sold in Canada & the USA. I always liked the ripper geometry on the 200 & 300 series machines.Well made & well thought out.... Yeah,I know...if it ain't a C** ,it ain't worth lookin' at...!!! Unless you're just starting out,or a low hour user,or want to cut the fuel bill.
Challenger and Massey Ferguson. Agco currently owns the Challenger and Massey Ferguson brands. Some wheeled tractors are sold under both brands. The Challengers are sold through Cat dealers and are considered agricultural versus construction. I often see Challenger rubber track tractors on construction sites pulling scrapers.
In the late 70's Massey Ferguson sold a line of dozers and crawler loaders that were manufactured by Hanomag of Germany. They were very powerful dozers but the largest was a ** 700 which was just a bit bigger than the D6. The ** 700 cost less than the D6 and would bury it in production. Unfortunately, they couldn't compete with Cat, Komatsu, and IH.
I have a 1978 Massey Ferguson (Hanomag) D600C that I purchased in 2005. It has a 3 speed power shift transmission. It has pedal steer which will stop the track if you touch the pedal with your little finger. The dozer starts instantly when you turn the ignition key. I love this dozer. I have used it for road building and land clearing. This German made dozer was ahead of its time. The engine is made by Hanomag as well as the rest of the dozer.
i have owned and used my MF300 for about 5years.no hard work.works good.unsure how to put pics on.have a look at .trademe.co.nz ,user name candig
Yair...I put around 3000 hours on a prototype 3366 in New Guinea in 1971/72. They were testing under tropical conditions and the company man showed me field reports of a similar machine working (I think in Norway) in the ice. I liked it. Plenty of power, nimble...I modified the guide rollers on the track oscillation system but apart from that as well as I remember in those first hours it was pretty much trouble free.
Don’t open the bleeder screw so far.
There were two types sold in NZ , one range based on a tracked version of their wheel tractors . MF135-C and the MF174-C . 40 odd and 70 hp respectively They were inexpensive and well liked and tightly held mostly by farmers . Then there was the there were the others , the MF200 etc . One story I heard about the later lot was if operated on steep slopes would lose drive , leaving the driver waiting for the pump to pick up oil after a hairy ride down to the nearest level area .
Colliers in Levin had a ** 100 with a PAT blade, a handy machine in the day. At that time ** sold 4 different sizes, 100, 200, 300 and 400 either as dozers or loaders. That was in the early 70's.
** never had an MF100 crawler or a 350. They did have a 350 excavator though. It may have been an MF2244 "crawler angle dozer" that you used. They had 200, 300, 400 and 500 that were ** designed and built. Later came the 600 and 700 that were Hanomag based. There were also the 2244 and 3366 as well as the 244 loader. There were 300, 400 and 500 AG crawlers as well 1114C and 1124C. Lastly the MF66 was available as a wheel dozer. There's a bunch of misinformation in this thread. ** did buy Landini (to get into crawlers) but they set up the ICM division (Industrial and Construction Machinery) in 1966. The crawlers and excavators were designed in Detroit but built in Italy. ** started construction on a new factory in Aprilia Italy in 1967. There are users who have bought new ** machines back in the day and said they were ahead of their time. The 500 crawlers were one of the first non hydrostatic with counter rotating tracks. Talking with a dealer, they said one of the biggest mistakes ** made was buying Hanomag sometime around 1976. It greatly contributed to their downfall. It should be noted that several other players in the heavy equipment world became victims of the economy in the early 80's. It doesn't mean the machines were necessarily bad.
@ Welder Dave, before ** went to a 4 digit model numbers the model numbers I quoted are accurate. I didn't mention anything about a 350.
Here's the bigger brother of the 135-C , note the 3 point linkage
There is no mention of a 100 model in "A World-wide guide to ** Industrial and Construction Machinery" by John Farnworth. If it was early 60's it might be possible. There are the odd mistakes in the book but it is very thorough. Way back in the thread where years of production were listed a 350 was mentioned with other crawler models but it's possible it was in reference to an excavator although the the more common 450 excavator wasn't mentioned.
I'm pretty sure that little 174C is just a rebadged Landini. The Italians love those little "wheeltractors with tracks", with their 3PL. They really suit the Italian style of farming, with small olive groves, small orchards, tomato farms, etc., often on slopes. Landini 0 Landini a80 tratt_001.jpg www.album-mmt.it Landini 0 Landini a60 palacing_001.jpg www.album-mmt.it Landini CI 5000 Made in Italy www.album-mmt.it
That MF174 is an ag tractor The ** 100 was a similar size with heap of differences, foot operated clutch,FNR lever mounted on the left side of the dash panel, blade arms on the inside of the track frame, no 3 point linkage or PTO.
I wonder if the ** 100 you drove was a prototype before the 200 came out? Might explain why there's no listing of it anywhere.
I have a ** 500 i sort of inherited. I can't find a workshop manual for one though. Does anyone know if the 500B or 400 (or other model) would be closer in design as i can find manuals available for purchase for those models. Cheers
Welcome, weswooly. Best of luck with your search. If you don't mind, share a picture or two when you get a chance.
Car and Tractor Books NZ . Phone # 03 439 5124 , you would have to find the international numbers that precede those . email .. [email protected] . I've bought a few from them . A parts manual is a very handy book to have when used in conjunction with a workshop manual
Agco may have the manuals available. I know they have for a bunch of the industrial and construction equipment. A 500B manual would be closer than a 400 manual. The 500 had counter rotating tracks. Pretty advanced in its day.
Hi JimInOz, Could you please advise where is best to get parts, if its still possible. Thanks
I haven't got many photos here, but i'll try to get some more next weekend.
Hi Weswooly, Try TRADEBIT for a manual,or eBay. I think those 500s had a V8 engine. I only ever saw one years ago in Rockbank,Vic. I heard both good & bad stories about them. I have a few MF2244 parts here,but PHIL HUNT PARTS might be your only option for spares. QLD seems to be the state that has a lot of older crawlers now,especially the Toowoomba & Rockhampton areas. There is a website called CMN (Classic Machinery Network)) from the UK. Those guys might know more about ** 500s. I think there is/was a company in the US called St Josephs Equipment. I heard that they knew a lot about the ** machines.
parallel rippers, counter rotate what's not to like? Nice machine. It even has the suntan ROPS going for it.
The 500 had a Perkins AV8-510 diesel with 136 flywheel HP. Interestingly the 500B is listed at 125 flywheel HP.
Thanks mate