Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Master Pin Modification

hd16b · 2023-11-05 08:25

Everyone I need to change the chains on one of my Allis HD16s and have everything lined up except new master pins which I can no longer get. What I have are the regular pins which are the exact same other than being a little smaller in the middle to make for easier removal. My question is how much should I tell my local machine shop to remove. I'M Thinking .005 to .010.

Replies2
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-11-05 16:03

    Removing .010” from the middle portion of the regular pin would be good.

  2. #2chidog2023-11-11 00:39

    Just me, but on the old dry stuff, my pins would always be "machined" good old in the woods hand grinder, to be a small hammer slip fit. And then of course some nice weld beads to keep it from falling out. I was just not going to hurt myself with a huge hammer, I had no luxury tools to do the right way, nor anyone to help.