Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Masters of electric trailer drum brakes? Low of brakies.

fastline · 2026-08-26 15:41

We got this trailer many months ago. Brakes have always sucked but of course it was nothing simple. We always go through stuff electrically, so this was run through, and we have zero reason to suspect an electrical matter here. The MFG states magnets should pull less than 3A, these pull 2.25A each, all 4 work, just adjusted brakes to so tight I can't turn the tire, back off a few clicks, have slight drag, good. Controller can easily serve the load, have verified 10V being served to the brakes. With controller all the way up, when you first breathe on the brake, it hits hard like its obviously way too aggressive, then as you apply more brake, it's obvious the trailer doesn't have enough authority, and this is unloaded. I'm at a point of suspecting the mechanical side. Glazing from being out of adjustment, magnets worn, something. Plenty of lining left. Any thoughts? I know I've had some success deglazing some brakes on equipment, but probably not trailers but they should now be able to put max force into those shoes. On probably 3/4 of the brakes, I probably did 2 complete turns of the adjuster dials. There were visible gaps. Oh, these are 10K grease axles, HD, I think 4" shoes, 19.5" wheels. Nothing I can visibly see has contaminated them, and even if, all 4? Maybe trailer was driven through something? Sort of at a loss here.

Replies5
  1. #1Coaldust2026-08-26 18:20

    Pull the drums and take some pictures for us. Let’s see what’s going on.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2026-08-30 08:58

    Sounds like lot rot. Try dragging the breaks gently to burn them back in. Have found on electric trailer breaks, they may look good but they tend to sit for long periods of time and they get contaminated somehow and will immediately lock up, the first time and crappy breaking after. Might want to put a load on, before trying to burn them in again.

  3. #3fastline2026-08-30 15:39

    I had someone run a 10k load on the trailer about 20mi with multiple stops. Did most of the stopping just with the trailer. I will have to spend more time with it myself but did improve. If it has to come apart anyway, I will get those brakes all sorts of hot and used first to see if they start working right again. My debate has been light drag, higher speeds to really get the heat it, or slower, high load and basically drag it with the truck for a bit.

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-09-01 15:01

    Could the brake controller be the problem? Some are much better than others.

  5. #5Zewnten2026-09-04 20:04

    IPA makes a good tester for testing the truck side. I've found a lot of trailer issues coming from the truck, if its an issue with multiple trucks sometimes its a compounding problem from the trailer, usually a poor ground corrosion causing resistance.