I decided to break down & buy the Cat 5M-2080 filling nozzle for the maintaining the correct oil level in the rollers, for my D4D Dozer & 941 Loader. I will be looking for a hand pump for conveying the product into the rollers. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for as far as psi is concerned for the pumps? I am assuming that a bucket pump is the what is used with these nozzles to fill the rollers? I wonder if a regular grease gun could work to pump small quantities of oil into rollers? The bucket pumps are pretty pricy.
In the old days, of bellows seals and lunchbox meals... they called those a "Volume pump" Like this kinda: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alemite-718...797755?hash=item51b02889fb:g:wsAAAMXQ56ZR-9mw Grease gun might work, just don't get carried away.
Back when I used to change a lot of oil I just bought some cheap bucket pumps, I think they were less than $50 each. They had a red lid and silver other parts and sometimes broke but they were cheap and pumped a lot of oil. I had one each for engine, gear oil, transmission oil and antifreeze. The antifreeze one would go out more frequently but the others seemed to hold up fine because they were well lubricated.
We knew these as a volume bucket. The Alemite one is a good brand, they make them for Cat (there's a Cat P/N for that item but I've forgotten it) if I'm not mistaken........Chinese-made ones not so good.....
I don't know the pressure you need, but my first guess would be a suction gun, looks like a grease gun but functions like a syringe. That would do 10psi or so, a good compromise between a bucket pump and a grease gun, regarding pressure, volume and portability.
A regular grease gun will work, you just put a button end on the hose, kind of messy but it works
Lots of the old Alemite Volume Pumps around. Watch ebay, yard sales or ask the guys on ACMOC. They usually run about $75.
Ok thanks......so will a pump with say 100 psi be lots for this job? I see lots of pumps go up to 3000 psi & above that. Are the "button head" fittings sized differently, or all the same? Just wondered what size would match up to the "pricy" Cat nozzle?
Never paid that much attention to the pump output but I'd guess somewhere about 30psi. Just need enough pressure to deliver the lube and open the button head check valve. Button heads come in large and small sizes. The old roller button heads were the large size, 7/8" if I recall right. I believe my lube tool came with the smaller version.
We had a little tank we made from a peice of 12x12 square tube that we pressurized to a few psi air pressure through a regulator. Air pressure in the top, oil out the bottom. Had a ball valve near the end of the outlet hose to control the flow with a fine plastic tube outlet beyond the valve that would go in the roller plug hole. We used this on a production line and did hundreds probably thousands of rollers over the years. Our rollers were bought dry as we used extreme duty oil. Our machines weighed 100 tons. d.d.
That is a good idea if I don't find a used pump cheap.
This is our version of a "homemade" filler system, an old refrigeration tank, pressurized with an air compressor & some adaptor fittings. I tried it out today for the first time & it worked ok.
Nice job and it looks a lot nicer than the one we built. d.d.
A very tidy job - patent it ......!!
I only get partial credit for this invention DD, as I got the idea from you
Well you really did improve on what we threw together. Nice job d.d.