Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Material bins

nedly05 ยท 2009-09-27 19:27

I am wondering if anyone has a set up like the one in the pic. I would like to have something like this to keep the yard tidy, and keep the crusher run, crushed stone, cob rock, topsoil etc... all seperate. I am hoping we can build one bin this fall to keep salted sand in. I was thinking of building the bin then putting a coverall type structure over top. The coverall looks to be in the neighborhood of 500-1000 bucks. Does anyone have an idea of what the big blocks cost? I was thinking about 14X28 two blocks high, open in the front with the coverall on top. Please send me some input, experiences, ideas... Thanks Guys! pic came from www.yardatatime.com

Replies12
  1. #1PSDF3502009-09-27 19:39

    $50 a 2x4 block is what I have seen.

  2. #2nedly052009-09-27 19:55

    Thats not bad at all! Thanks!

  3. #3dayexco2009-09-27 20:48

    wouldn't it be a LOT cheaper to form and pour? just to seperate your stuff, you don't need something 2' thick, do you?

  4. #4terratrac3002009-09-27 21:01

    our bins at work are setup that way, they used 2x2x8 mafia blocks from the local concrete company, I think they were about 80 for an 8 ft, the other option you have is to use used jersey barriers, just have to seal up the ends were they meet, one customer of ours set up the barriers and did put a cover-it shelter on top of them for there salt storage like you said you wanted to do, keep in mind if you can get the blocks that lock together they`ll work much better

  5. #5heavylift2009-09-28 01:44

    we use jersey barriers.... there are hundreds stacked in the yard.... so we grabbed about a dozen and made some bins don't know about the cost of either... our salt-sand is a small shed just big enough for a skid steer... the salt-sand thing has to be watertight type thing here.... something that water can't get into and have the salt run-off.... which really doesn't make any sense when you are throwing it on the ground... and it's usually not there more than 3 or 4 months

  6. #6nedly052009-09-28 05:32

    How big of a gap is there at the end of the jersey barriers? I'm gonna call the batch plant today and get some numbers! some great input guys, keep it rollin!

  7. #7special tool2009-09-28 06:36

    Not really. If you pour a wall, you must build a footing where he is (Adirondacks) or the frost will rip it apart in one winter. I am sure he is in a 48 inch zone too, at least. Also - some zones would consider that a permanent structure and send the building dept. over to see you. The blocks are good because they can move a little in winter and then settle down again in spring - no harm done.

  8. #8digger242j2009-09-28 06:45

    I made a couple on site just using the end waste cut-offs from when they installed the extruded curbs. Not pretty, but functional, and they're not intended to be there for a long time....

  9. #9heavylift2009-09-28 15:04

    I think they are about 24" at the bottom. 9" at the top..... If your worried about the gap... stick an empty sand bag in there ...then start filling it with sand

  10. #10nedly052009-09-28 17:33

    I called today and got some prices. 2x2x4=2400 lbs, cost $30 each. 4x4x2=4400 lbs, cost $50 each. I figured 26 of the 2x2x4 blocks, thats 2 courses, 3 sides large enough for a 12x20 canvas garage. The walls are 8' so that gives me 12 feet high of clearance, I think it shoud should be plenty of space. We only usually keep a tandem load or 2 on hand and get it as we need it, there will be room for 3 just in the concrete so it should be plenty of storage, at 12 feet high it will enough to get any of our loaders in to load. When I dump I will back in as far as I can, and dump as much inside as possible, then push the rest in. I got clearance from the boss, he was happy with the prices, now we just need to find the time to do it!

  11. #11EZ TRBO2009-09-28 18:30

    Your prices are not bad, I think we sell our plain ones(2x6x3) for 40 or so and the printed ones are like $70. We also make half blocks, and caps. The big blocks take a bout 3/4 of a yard of crete. If you plan on a permanat storage then you might still want to go with the poured walls, but these are nice if you wish to move, relocate or resize your pits. One thing one of our plants did was years ago make bins that were 20 foot wide(3 of them, plus a wall across the back) and then set blocks in between to make different size bins for what they needed. Trbo

  12. #12nedly052009-09-28 19:09

    We'll see how it goes with the sand this winter, maybe we will build some bins for aggregate too.