Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mauldin/PSI 413 stability

smoother ยท 2021-03-17 09:41

Greetings small machine experts...I'm seeking a little experienced advice on the stability and traction of these "maintainers". I am considering purchasing one of these (although finding one is a challenge) for doing driveways, parking lots, and some off-road work blading atv trails. I have run large machines and a couple older small allis chalmers for many years, but never one of these 4 wheel machines. I am curious on how stable these are in rougher terrain and how much traction, especially on hills these may have. I understand that the type of soil is a large factor, so any input here on any conditions is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Replies2
  1. #1cuttin edge2021-03-17 12:40

    Depends on what you want to do with it.. We have had 3 incarnations of it. A Puckett, an Alitec, and a 2012, and a 2014 Mauldin.. The first, the old Puckett was retired to grading 4 wheeler trails. It had poor traction, always wanted to spin the front wheels. The Alitec, same machine, new company. More power, but wanted to spin front wheels. We didn't get a PSI. I think Reno Husker? He has a PSI. He was happy with it when las we spoke. The Mauldins, will fill the blade and go. Ours both have Deutz liquid cooled engines. Lots of power, and traction. No problem loading a tandem truck. I think the fuel tanks hold around 100 liters. That will get you around 12 hours of hard operating. You still have the pivoting front axle, but no rear pivot in the tandems. It comes down to skill to make up for that, or an extra pass. I do streets, parking lots, and mostly asphalt prep on private driveways. You need to remember, It's not a dozer, or a backhoe. It does have it's limitations. I have broken the front boom on several occasions when we really should have had an excavator. Mind you the bucket on the mauldin is a bit too big for the boom. If you can, find one with air conditioning, because you are sitting on top of 2 valve banks, and the hydraulic pump. Everything in the cab is steel, and either side of your seat gets hot enough to burn your hand.

  2. #2smoother2021-03-17 14:39

    Great info....thanks cuttin edge!