Hi All, I am new to the forum and recently got a 96 416 cat backhoe. I have it registered and from time to time we drive it 6-8 miles to different places. It seems to be a dog (lacking drive power especially uphill) in anything above second gear. Wondering if this is normal? When I drive it I stay almost right at the yellow indicator on the tach but have to downshift frequently for hills. SO I am wondering what would be the normal speed is per gear? My grandfather drove it for most of its life and I don't think it saw 2300 RPM but he's not around to ask anymore. Now has about 7-k hours. See avatar for specs on machine Thanks in advance. Chris
I don't know the exact speeds per gear, but on my Case 590 SuperL, 1st & 2nd are for climbing hills and just general moving around doing loader and hoe work. 3rd and 4th are only for roading, after you are already moving. It won't climb much of in incline in 3rd. I don't think I have ever used 4th.
Yup, my New Holland lb75b is good on flat roads in 4th and maybe around 2000-2200 rpm, but to add an incline and a-shifting I will go. I've only roaded mine around 3 or 4 miles and it was scary, 8 miles seems like too much!
There is no max engine speed climbing hills, keep the speed up, diesels are designed to run full speed all day long. That helps the torque converter stay cool, it will overheat if you run it up a hill at half engine speed slipping the whole way. You only have to watch the RPM if you're in too high a gear going down the hill and the engine is pushed too fast.
The issue being described is pretty normal from my experience. Loader backhoes are not meant for long trips down the highway so the capability was only for occasional use. The engine has a governor that limits its own revolutions per minute. Road speed is a function of engine speed and torque and the torque converter and the gearing in the transmission. The gauge to monitor when roading the machine is the torque converter temperature or transmission temperature. If the torque converter has lost its efficiency, it will get hot from internal leakage.
THank you Brady
Thank you AIG
I will watch out for the "engine being pushed too fast" thank you!
This makes a lot of sense- I will be looking at the machine to see if I have a heat gauge for my tranny. I am a newbie and really didn't give it much thought but was wondering if the transmission was part of the hydraulic system. But from what your saying it is not driven through that system. Thanks for the insight!
I have been driving it shifting through the gears (mostly 3rd-4th) varying based on the grade, and simply letting off the accelerator and pressing the button on the gear shift and like speed shifting based on the tach. I am wondering if I should be doing that meaning shifting gears at speeds only because I dont have a clutch ( my assumption is the button serves that function???)
What ever the engine governor allows assuming no one fiddled with it.
That is the correct way to shift gears on a TLB with a neutral cutout button.
Thanks for confirming!