I'm working out of town for a couple of weeks and instead of city traffic I'm encountering some steep hills. What is the max RPM I should go when engine braking. The max RPM under power is 2600. This truck weighs 21000 and it doesn't have an engine or exhaust brake and im fighting holding it back on the steep grades. Thanks! Newman
I lied... its an 07 Maxforce DT
use the gearbox and downshift as needed,,,,,,,,,,lower gears and reduced revs slow a vehicle on a hill
It has an Allison 5 speed on it. I have been pulling it down to "2" but it only down shifts to third due to the speed I am going(~40mph). It holds back okay but I get nervous when it goes over 2800 so I hit the brakes and slow it down till the rpms are 2500 then I let off the brakes to let them cool
You may have to go slower down hills. Depending on how poor the engine braking is, maybe much, much slower. You can always find a gear that will hold you back. It may be second gear if the hill is steep enough. You may only go 20 mph. Traffic may grow impatient. They can wait, I say. I try to use my brakes as little as possible even if it means going very slow.