Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MB crusher bucket case drain question. Can’t really decide if it id dumb or not.

Mobilewrench · 2024-01-30 18:00

Client of mine picked up a second crusher bucket to run on his Hitachi 200 and 225. I plumbed the machines for his old MB 70.2 and that only required a #8 line for the case drain. The new (second hand) unit is an MB 80.1 (I think). It comes with a #12 case drain line. I checked with MB, they seem pretty adamant that it has to be #12. As far as I can see, all of the available ports on the tank are #8. I was thinking of creating a new port on the tank to accommodate #12. Most likely on the bottom of the tank. My question is...if I just run 2 #8 lines to the tank....er... Shouldn't that give me ample flow?

Replies6
  1. #1MrElectric032024-02-22 23:10

    It would make sense but I assume you would be using a T to split a -12 into two -8s. If the inside of the T is not large enough diameter, it doesn't matter what comes after it. The manufacturer may provide a case drain flow and pressure spec and you could test it and see.

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-02-23 08:28

    I don't know why people always wanna run case drain back to tank , UNFILTERED! I've seen guys drill and tap or torch and weld fittings onto bungs and covers. The same guy cries when that rotating assembly craps the bed and sends shrapnel downstream. Either filter it on its own, or find a way to introduce it back to the main filter. The challenge is maintaining the maximum back pressure to allow cooling and lubricating to actually take place. Good luck.

  3. #3MrElectric032024-02-23 10:40

    Great point. I know if I were to setup my own machine, I would run an attachment case drain through a properly rated filter. The issue that I see these days is that guys don't know to look for them. I had a motor fail a couple times, customer couldn't figure it out so just kept throwing motors on it. Didn't realize that there was a case drain filter added in line by a PO which was now plugged solid. Kinda like replacing a failed turbo without cleaning out the coolers, then you fire it up and have a runaway. Gotta look at the whole picture.

  4. #4funwithfuel2024-02-23 10:44

    Yes, 1" even split with 2 -8s far exceeds the ¾" of a -12 by itself as long as it's a fluid run without a bunch of 90°fittings hindering flow.

  5. #5DGODGR2024-06-10 03:29

    Did you ever figure this out? I have a BF 80 and I took the case drain line from my old 70 and am using it on the 80. As far as I recall, the 80 had the same fitting on it as the 70 did. So far, no issues. I don't run the 80 every day (I actually rent a mobile crusher for most of my crushing because the 80 would take forever to crush the volumes we have been crushing, and the bucket crushers tend to struggle with our rock as well), but I have run it a fair bit. I'm still on the original dies, but I would guess that I have run maybe a couple hundred yards through it. It's hard to recall all of it. I bought it new, and have had it since mid 2021.

  6. #6Mobilewrench2024-06-12 20:20

    Personally, if the new unit came with the same sized drain line as the old one, I would think you were in good shape.