Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MDI YUTANI 240BLC OR KOBELCO K909LC HELP My Boom broke in half

Brian71 · 2024-01-07 10:06

Hello Im newbie here to the group here I been hearing what sounded like a gear mesh issue when moving the stick left to right I was thinking/sounded like the noise was coming from the swing table however I was so wrong where the noise was coming from figured I would finish up early that day until I could try to figure where this noise was coming from so I went to move my last stone for the day and when I went to release the stone from the bucket the main boom literally broke in half the only thing holding it together is the top steel plate its definitely un repairable. Ive been looking on line made a few calls guy in Texas thought he had one but no luck. Anyone know where I could find a boom for my dinosaur MD240BLC or even one from a Kobelco K909lc? This is a one owner machine I would rather not scrap her out. There is an Yutani 180 not far from me but I'm not sure if the pin and mounting size are the same any help at all is HIGHLY appreciated thank you in advance for any input

Replies31
  1. #1Kyle Helmke2024-01-30 21:06

    can you post specs for your boom

  2. #2Acoals2024-01-30 21:08

    We need pictures of this one . . . I wouldn't assume it isn't repairable.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-01-31 03:42

    For what a replacement boom would cost plus getting it to your location you might be surprised how much could be repaired for less money. Definitely need some good pics.

  4. #4Brian712024-02-09 16:46

    I sent pics to a mobile welder guy said he can plate it and weld it for 9 grand but from what I see it would be one hell of a job it looks like it exploded from the inside out

  5. #5Brian712024-02-09 16:47

    its done ill see if I can upload some pics from my phone

  6. #6Brian712024-02-09 16:59
  7. #7Brian712024-02-09 19:00
  8. #8Nige2024-02-09 19:07

    Oh that's repairable all right. To do it right it won't be cheap though, because the boom will likely need to be cut open to get access to the inside for welding. IMO finding out exactly what the material is would be the key to a successful repair. What exactly is the mobile welder offering for $9k.? Has he given you a complete breakdown in writing of how he plans to do it.?

  9. #9Brian712024-02-09 19:08

    Contacted a guy in Texas said he had one turned out it was scrapped yrs ago there was a kobelco 909 in Florida they found out it was cracked internally and won’t sell it to me even for scrap then a guy in NY found one brand new the price was 50k he discounted it for me for 10k and come to find out they mislabeled it waiting for a refund now I’m at a loss for now I would imagine in time one might mabee pop up idk but don’t want to scrap this machine

  10. #10Brian712024-02-09 19:12

    He sent me a text and said it wasn’t his first rodeo and said it would be the strongest part on the machine for 9k might be my only hope at this point

  11. #11Nige2024-02-09 19:14

    Unless he gives you chapter & verse with illustrations exactly how he plans to do it I would be skeptical, but then again it's not my coin you're spending.

  12. #12Brian712024-02-09 19:19

    Said he yes I get it totally I called another guy said he would be a couple grand more

  13. #13Brian712024-02-09 19:20

    Mild steel is that what the equipment is made of?

  14. #14Brian712024-02-09 19:28
  15. #15Brian712024-02-09 19:30

    Would mild steel be less likely to crack again compared to armor plate steel?

  16. #16Nige2024-02-09 19:34

    That's not the point. The point is knowing what the existing steel is so that both the suggested welding consumables plus any reinforcing that might be installed as part of the repair are both compatible with the existing material and are the best solution for a strong repair. Need a lot more pics as well. The two you posted only give a basic idea of the damage but no detail. The first photo gives me the impression it's been cracked and repaired before, at least the underside of the boom has.

  17. #17Brian712024-02-09 19:58

    Was my father in law machine he bought it new and there were no repairs made previously when dad looked at the break he said it must’ve had been broken for a while because he saw rust but who knows I will get some more welding guys opinion on this matter and thank you for your input on this post Nige

  18. #18Brian712024-02-09 19:58

    Highly appreciated

  19. #19Welder Dave2024-02-09 23:23

    Judging by the welds that boom has been repaired before but poorly. The weld with paint on it with the bare steel behind, looks like it was done with a smaller dia. stick electrode, I'd guess 7018. It's not a very good weld either. It cracked along the toe which indicates improper weld procedures. Weld may have been done overhead but looks cold with a little too fast and inconsistent travel speed as well as inadequate penetration.

  20. #20Brian712024-02-10 05:28

    maybe the old man can’t remember it being repaired? Not like him he’s still pretty sharp at 73 gonna ask him today

  21. #21Acoals2024-02-10 06:22

    There is a HEF member in Connecticut who is by appearances (in pictures on HEF) a first rate welder. Maybe try messaging him; @TOM V

  22. #22Nige2024-02-10 09:30

    That weld across the bottom of the boom that has failed is not factory IMHO. I'm sure it's been repaired at some point.

  23. #23Acoals2024-02-10 10:24

    One other thought when it comes to repairing your boom; it is going to take a little more than a stick welder and a grinder to rebuild that boom. Whoever does the job is going to need a service crane or another piece of equipment in order to get it right. Finding a guy who is experienced at heavy equipment service would be best. There is more to this repair than just general welding.

  24. #24Nige2024-02-10 10:33

    Continuing on from that it's going to need the boom off the machine and on the ground so that it can be rolled over for access and ease of welding. Probably get it in a shop under cover and out of the wind and elements. There's only going to be one opportunity to get the repair right and it's going to need all the advantages the welder can get for it to survive long-term. My 2c is that any welder who reckons he can repair that boom in place should not be taken seriously, or at the very least treated with suspicion. YMMV.

  25. #25Nige2024-02-10 10:36

    I second that. He does first rate work.

  26. #26Welder Dave2024-02-10 15:40

    There is no way that weld on the bottom is a factory weld. It broke right along the toe of the weld. Tom V would be a good choice to repair it and there's a guy with a you tube channel that does major welding repairs on heavy equipment. One his latest video's was on on a 657 scraper. You need someone with extensive experience and required tools and equipment.

  27. #27Nige2024-02-10 16:25

    TomV is just down the road from the guy who needs his boom repaired. Here's a link to a thread with photos of the work he does. I think he is also active on Facebook. some work pictures HeavyEquipmentForums

  28. #28Brian712024-02-10 19:42

    I have another shovel and a forklift nearby we can use to dismantle it

  29. #29Brian712024-02-10 19:44

    I’ll try to get ahold of this Tom v guy thank you for all the support

  30. #30Welder Dave2024-02-11 00:27

    I know of Tom's work but didn't realize he was really close. He'd be the one to talk too even if just for a consultation. If the OP wasn't in a real big hurry might? be able to get a bit of a break if his repair wasn't a rush priority. If Tom did the repair but had a little leeway, he could still help his other customers if they had an emergency repair. Fixing that boom is a big job but if properly done will be as good as new or maybe even better if it can be reinforced.

  31. #31Brian712024-02-11 08:09

    I’m not in a hurry I have other equipment I’m going to try to get in touch with Tom see what he says thanks bro