Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MEC scissor lift/ aerial work platform stuck in the air

Mobilewrench ยท 2026-01-22 20:37

Don't know the exact model or serial number. Long story short, the spade connection broke off of the solenoid coil on the bottom of the hoist cylinder.

Replies7
  1. #1willie592026-01-22 20:46

    Been years since I've worked on an MEC machine, but don't they have a valve to manually lower the deck? If not, is there another similar coil in the lower controls, such as steering, that's like that coil that you could fit in its place and lower the deck?

  2. #2materthegreater2026-01-22 20:59

    Looks a lot like a solenoid on a snow plow. Got any around you could borrow one from?

  3. #3Mobilewrench2026-01-22 20:59

    The only thing odd about is that I cannot remember the last time I came across a coil with only one wire. Where it looks like a mouse has been gnawing on it is where I shaved some plastic off to expose enough wire to solder on a new spade. But, I didn't bother because even giving it power and ground... the solenoid just doesn't work. Pretty sure that the cleaned up area is showing a diode. So I am looking for a replacement. The MEC parts book lists it as 6870. But that only leads me to one place on line and it is currently out of stock. The coil itself has some identification. It is a Delta Power Hydraulic Company 80002. 12VDC. Looks like a 1/2" hole and the casing is 2". Any help is appreciated, I am done trying to find this today. That glass of Bourbon in the first pic has mysteriously disappeared.

  4. #4Mobilewrench2026-01-22 21:19

    Oh, yeah. It has the emergency lower valve. The cable had rusted in it's tube and wouldn't move. I got that part fixed. And after a lot of trial and error, I found a coil that I could stral that would make everything work. I was hoping that it had something to do with the optional outrigger feature that this machine doesn't have. But when I started thinking about it, if it had stabilizers for leveling... four corners electric over hydraulic, wouldn't that take 8 solenoids? So even when the owner and the guy renting it were high fiving I was furiously smoking cigarettes and glowering at the machine. Turns out that the coil I robbed was the brake release and that since the brakes are so worn out, it didn't really affect anything. That is pretty annoying, because the last time I worked on this machine I was resealing that cylinder.

  5. #5Mobilewrench2026-01-22 21:25

    That made me spit out Bourbon! I am pretty sure that was the intent. I am in Hawaii I haven't seen a snow plow in 24 years. But if you weren't kidding... and there happens to be a snow plow near you... hmm... I would be willing to fund a little light larceny.

  6. #6willie592026-01-22 21:46

    No fault of yours implied here, but brakes don't work and manual descent cable/control inoperable, and the guy is renting the machine??? Again, this isn't your responsibility. However, keep this in mind, McDonalds got (successfully) sued because coffee is actually hot. Who knew? My point. I've been working on cranes and aerial lifts for over 40 years now. With cranes and aerials, liability increases considerably. You really have to do CYA when working on them. Without asking for more details, just throwing examples out there. The guy renting the machine, he should check the machine before it goes out, i.e., manual descent. In this case wasn't working. That's on him, not you. He should make sure everything is working properly before it goes out. Once you come in and work on the machine, let's say, you find brakes are worn and not working. You inform the machine owner, he declines the repairs. That's where you need to note that on your invoice. CYA. If that machine was on a grade and took off and tipped because the brakes aren't working and killed a man, you need to be able to show you noted that to the owner and was declined because the lawyers will be looking at everyone connected to that machine. Just some advice that will steer you in a direction that will prevent trouble coming your way.

  7. #7materthegreater2026-01-22 21:47

    Yes I figured you would find it amusing. I've only been to Hawaii once and that was in October. I wasn't sure if it ever snows at the higher elevations. If so I would imagine it just melts pretty quickly. I spent 6 hours behind a snow plow today but I'm not willing to part with any of the 11 solenoids on it. I'll probably be needing it a few more times this winter. Mmmm, bourbon is a good idea. A friend was helping me with a foundation project yesterday and brought a couple bottles of ginger beer. They were slushy before we drank them up. I think bourbon would stay liquid longer.