Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mechanic pay

nowing75 ยท 2010-06-25 12:47

Hello i just did a pay scale check on the net and was wondering how acurate it is. Im near indianapolis they say avrage is 20.77 an hour. Top is $27.80. Im the shop foreman doing all equipment and truck maintenance and even driving the lowboy. Wish i was at the avrage. Just wondering what others are at,im just under $18.00. Jason

Replies31
  1. #1td25c2010-06-25 22:59

    Hi nowing75.Thats an interesting question.It all depends on the area & what the market will bring for an experieced mechainic/service manager.In 1993 I was working at a truck & equipment shop in Jasper IN making 11.00 an hour turning wrenches, patching radiators,running wrecker & so on .It was pretty good money back then for a feller in his early 20's.I'l ask around But I'm guessing if I had stayed at the Truck shop I would be making in the high 20's or maybe 30 an hour.Keep in mind this economy has effected us all and things aint what they used to be.I you have a solid job position hang on to it,We all would like a little more money but half a sandwich is better than none.

  2. #2Speedpup2010-06-26 07:17

    What are they charging for your services?

  3. #3nowing752010-06-26 08:16

    We are an excavating company so i just maintain our equipment. About 13 pices of heavy equipment and about 18 trucks ranging from pickup to lowboy. I also do all the welding and painting. Jason

  4. #4Autocar2010-06-26 09:23

    I would be tickled to make $18.00 a hour,stay put a few years and get all the exsperience you can get and that will open alot more door for you in the future.

  5. #5LonestarCobra2010-06-26 20:51

    That sounds about right for here in Texas also. The mechanics that work for me range in pay from $16.00 to $21.00/hr. When I started at the CAT dealer in 1992, $10.00/hr was my pay. I left there in 2005 at $25.77/hr.

  6. #6cummins052010-06-27 00:33

    seen as high as 45 an hour here in AB up to 180 an hour with a truck and tools with a picker unit

  7. #7soso2010-06-27 09:29

    i am at 42 a hour here in northern ontario minning pays good here. some mining companies are paying up words of 65 hour here just to pull wrenches

  8. #8rustyjames2010-07-08 18:19

    soso: "just to pull wrenches?" That's really diminishing the skill level required to be a heavy equipment tech, don't you think? Not to mention the typical conditions one has to work under and the toll it takes on the body.

  9. #9Coldfront2010-07-09 15:47

    I'm at $19 per hour in northern WI. pretty good pay for up here, but my old mechanic buddies down in Chicago are at around $26 per hour.

  10. #10Coldfront2010-07-09 15:51

    I was always told the mechanic should make about 1/3 of the labor rate charge. Most shops around me are at about $75 per hour labor rate so I guess I'm getting screwed a little. But I work for a private construction Co. and only work on our own equipment and trucks so the less pay is worth it just to not have to deal with general public customers.

  11. #11hankobc12010-07-09 19:28

    If your not making $25.00 plus an hour it's slave wages. Look at what working on and the money your saving the company with a house mechanic. Your education may have been The College of Hard Knocks but it is worth somthing.

  12. #12jughead2010-07-10 05:52

    this old man left an auto dealership because the labor rate went from 50-50 to about 25-75 favor dealer. that was 1974 though. i think it is even worse now.

  13. #13Aussie John2010-07-10 07:19

    Diesel mechanics are getting up to A$55 per hour in the mines here in Australia, grossing up around $130 - $150K per year with accomodation, meals & travel / vehicle supplied. If anyone is interested, there are plenty of jobs going. John

  14. #14Aliate2010-07-10 12:18

    I think he was just referring to just having to work on machines, as opposed to having to "pull wrenches" and transport equipment via lowboy.

  15. #15adam215842010-07-10 21:18

    I must be a slave but there isn't much to choose from there days

  16. #16cummins052010-07-10 22:46

    One thing has to be asked tho are you a Mechanic or a lube changer. I see to many times guys who mess up oil changes want 45 bucks an hour and the title mechanic

  17. #17OFF2010-07-12 15:18

    Well, I'm feeling a bit piggish. Look like Canadian mechanics makes a bit more than our US counterparts. I'm currently making $48.75 an hour. That doesn't include the IUOE benifit & pension package. Licenced automotive and heavy duty, 34 years in the trade, shop foreman and pretend partsman. I still wear coveralls, I still get dirty.

  18. #18Coldfront2010-07-13 11:55

    Well they would have to pay me more than that to work in the frozen tundra, winter 9 months out of the year.

  19. #19Kap2010-07-23 17:47

    Coldfront has got it right...... 1/3 of regular billing rate goes to those that are tops in their field. This is in addition to a full benefits package and is non union, meaning no dues or anything taken off the top. I have several licenses spanning different trades Electrician, HVAC, Industrial hydraulics and controls. Not everyone makes this most do not but if you are good at what you do you should get top pay. Kap

  20. #20nowing752010-07-23 19:47

    I would have to agree with you Kap. Jason

  21. #21rabbit2010-09-15 13:54

    Taking the companies billing rate and trying to determine what your pay should be is very misleading. In some areas the billing rate may be determined on a higher cost of doing business than it is in other areas. Like higher rent or tax rates (or the bosses wife's new cadillac). The proper way to determine pay rates would be to check the union scale for your type of job. Don't forget there are different types of journeyman mechanics (if you are one) and different rates. If you are driving truck part time you might take that into consideration. And after all your investigation. Just remember your job is important, and maybe just as important to your replacement.

  22. #22Coldfront2010-09-16 10:35

    If you drive a truck part time you would make less than the mechanic only. At least where I work, drivers are a dime a dozen.

  23. #23rabbit2010-09-16 11:27

    Here drivers and Mechanics are the same rate. I hired a mechanic to work on some of the companies equipment. When the boss got the time sheets at the end of the week he called me in and told me WE don't hire mechanics. In order to keep the equipment running I changed his classification to Driver. No more was said.

  24. #24Coldfront2010-09-16 14:31

    After being a truck mechanic for 30 years, my opinion of truck drivers is they are one step above being a maintenance job cleaning toilets as far as skill level and smarts in order to find a job.

  25. #25rabbit2010-09-17 17:59

    I've been around long enough to know that ALL truck drivers are not any smarter than a mechanic. I'm sure there are a few (you might be one) mechanics that are smarter than a truck driver. Besides whats wrong with cleaning toilets? Could be a better future than any thing else.. Toilets are always in demand even in slow times. :usa

  26. #26jughead2010-09-17 19:31

    i have been a tech. "mechanic" since 1961. when i took my cdl test i thought who in their right mind would do all of the pre-trip inspection every day that the test required. then i realized to do it right one had to be a mechanic to drive a truck or just memorized the stupid test enough to get by. in this old mans opinion a real truck driver is also a pretty good repairman.

  27. #27rabbit2010-09-18 12:20

    Couldn't agree more. I've had my CDL for about the same length of time 1959. :usa

  28. #28dingo2010-09-19 05:53

    to true mate im making $49 an hr flat rate week on week off. all meals, flights and accomodation supplied. $110,000 a year for 4 months work

  29. #29WabcoRob2010-10-02 01:10

    Last year I worked for Jurgensen in Cincinnati, Ohio. Starting pay was $22.50 an hour for an experienced mechanic.

  30. #30rabbit2010-10-02 13:57

    Funny how the pay scale in different area's can change like that. Over here in the mountains $22.50 would be top pay for 20 years experience. :usa:beatsme

  31. #31Muffler Bearing2010-10-02 14:55

    pay I'm the lead guy in my shop and I had to write a letter to the company owner explaining what I do for them to get a raise up to $20.50 an hour. But I do get all the hours I want and I'm pretty happy there, so I think wage is all relative.