Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mega Movers show

BRL ยท 2006-06-04 11:44

I'm not sure if this is a series or not, but I caught this show the other night and a week or 2 ago on Discovery Channel I think. The main guy came across a Bucyrus steam shovel from WWII Era half buried in the snow while snow shoeing. And the show centers around him returning to unbury it from the brush & soil to move it from its grave site ( not sure where to, & whether it would be rehabbed - was half asleep & didn't see the whole episode either time). They said it is the only 1 of 25 of these that were made that wasn't scrapped somehow for WWII steel production. They had to move an old rail car out the way to get to it, which was also cool to watch. I believe they put some grease on her & were actually able to fire it it up & run it even though it was sitting all that time (not sure, but I know they were getting ready to try it, may have passed out around then lol). Anyway, if you come across this show & like the old steel, check it out.

Replies2
  1. #1Electra_Glide2006-06-04 13:22

    It's a weekly series on the History Channel. Tuesdays at 10:00pm, I think, but they also rerun it at a bunch of other times. Joe

  2. #2Orchard Ex2006-06-04 16:31

    I saw that one too. He was taking it to a mining museum after getting it out. At one point they had a track loader and a 4WD (?Diamond Reo maybe?) truck daisy chained up to get her out. It did move "under its own power" so to speak. He hooked up a big air compressor to the steam engine since the boiler condition was an unknown. Pretty cool.