Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Memories for us old truckers

Truck Shop · 2017-02-26 19:59

Oxbow started this thread at the HTF forum. Truck Shop

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies9,383
  1. #1Truck Shop2017-03-04 19:36
  2. #2Truck Shop2017-03-04 20:13

    This Pete was mine it was old and definitely not Slow. Truck Shop

  3. #3Truck Shop2017-03-04 20:16

    W900 I drove way back when

  4. #4willie592017-03-04 23:34

    Being born in '59, I recall many trucks on the road then that now would be considered old trucks. B Series Macks were still in use around my town, many concrete trucks were Mack B series, and if you went to coal country in SE KY, West Virginia, western Virginia, Mack DM and R model trucks dominated the coal trucks right up through the 70's into the 80's. I recall the Dodge LCF and Cabover trucks, and of course the GMC "crackerbox", many of whom were fitted with Detroit green leakers. GM had good looking COE trucks with the GMC Astro and Chevy Titan back in the 70's. And Ford built a number of models of cabover trucks, of course Ford had the built like an anvil Louisville cab trucks at the same time, and many fire trucks as well as delivery trucks used the Ford C series truck, again, built like anvil. Of course you had Pete and KW, both cabover and conventional. And I recall the I-H Emeryville COE trucks still in use before I-H produced the CO4070. And there's still a bunch of trucks of that era I haven't even mentioned, such as White, considering the first "big truck" I drove was a '62 White 4000 with Fuller 5 x 4 trannies. Wish I could turn back time and do it all over again.

  5. #5Truck Shop2017-03-05 18:54

    DoyleX this 81 W900 has a Mechanical N14 that's well over 575 hp. The Freightliner is owned by the friend who had starting issues with the N14. Truck Shop

  6. #6Truck Shop2017-03-06 16:03

    I knew the guy that bought and owned this truck til he passed away in the early nineties. 262 Cummins, 4X3 trans. Ran from Ellensburg, Wa. to L.A. hauling timothy hay for the track in Santa Anita in the early years then just local only. In those day's truck/trailer rigs were pretty common. I remember him telling me stories of winter driving like going down Oakridge on highway 58 between Chemult Flats off 97 to Eugene,Or. In those days it was very narrow and I'm sure it still has a tunnel on it. The grade steepens midway in the tunnel. I use to run that way allot years ago. The truck is 55 Pete. Truck Shop

  7. #7Junkyard2017-03-06 17:36

    I like the "insulator" over the bale just behind the stack. I bet it would be easy to get one smoldering.....

  8. #8RZucker2017-03-06 20:28

    Back around 1981, I was dumb enough and strong enough to drive a truck and trailer setup hauling hay in the same area. Drove a Pete conventional with a 24' deck pulling a 32' pull. The truck had a set of tall stacks that were inches from the load... We had a very heavy tarp that we called the "Bra", it covered the front down about 4' below the top and went back about 8". Part of that was fire protection, part of that was because when you got to a horse barn there was always one woman that had to get up and SNIFF test the front bales to make sure they didn't smell of Diesel exhaust. Can't have that with those pampered pet horses.

  9. #9beck1murph12017-03-06 22:44

    262 Cummins. Wasn't that an industrial engine with a blower on it?

  10. #10RZucker2017-03-06 22:50

    Nope. the 262 was turbocharged with piston oilers. At least the few I've seen.

  11. #11gtermini2017-03-07 11:20

    They did a bunch of work on the tunnel a couple years back. The road was sluffing off the mountain on the uphill side. That tunnel is still a nightmare. The road will be clear and you get 25 yds into the tunnel and be on a 2" sheet of ice going right into the corner. There is still a Staubs fuel truck lost every year it seems like on that road. Klamath is my home away from home, but I hate driving 58/97 in the winter. Greyson

  12. #12Truck Shop2017-03-09 21:27

    I don't do much art work anymore {arthritis} and I'm not as steady with the pen. But here are a couple I did ten years ago. Truck Shop

  13. #13d9gdon2017-03-09 21:46

    You are truly talented Truck Shop. That's kind of ironic that somebody with an artistic streak is a mechanic as well, usually it's either artist or mechanic. Right brain, left brain thing comes to mind.

  14. #14RZucker2017-03-09 21:49

    I see a bit of Romminger influence in the cabover drawing.

  15. #15Truck Shop2017-03-09 22:01

    Truck Shop

  16. #16Junkyard2017-03-09 22:04

    The cabover drawing reminds me of a picture a friend had, Truck sitting on the shoulder, trooper behind him with his ticket book. Driver looking down at his watch with "I gotta go!" Look. I tried I don't know how many times to talk him out of it.

  17. #17RZucker2017-03-09 23:45

    This is going to sound weird. But almost every welder or mechanic I have known with real talent, not just running a bead or a parts changer, was left handed. Not saying its a rule... but that has been my experience. And yes... I'm a lefty.

  18. #18Birken Vogt2017-03-09 23:53

    My dad thinks he may have been left handed naturally but the school forced him to be right handed. Making him somewhat ambidextrous. He is a good mechanic and fabricator.

  19. #19RZucker2017-03-10 00:13

    Ambidextrous... My brother is a machinist and good TIG welder. The guy can actually put a pen in each hand and write with both at the same time... Spooky. And creepy too.

  20. #20cuttin edge2017-03-10 20:15

    I have never seen a bunk like that on a Pete. Was that factory?

  21. #21Truck Shop2017-03-10 20:19

    Really I think my talent came from my dad. He was quite an artist for a guy that only had an eight grade education. Ran a sign shop for years after WWII and was a pro at gold leaf work. He created hundreds of pen & ink drawings, Eisenhower, Lincoln and prominent WWII generals. He finished his military years in the south pacific and while there he did allot of B24 bomber nose art. When crews could find someone with sign art ability they took advantage of it. After he passed away and going through his personal collection of photo's from the war we found photos of nose art with dates. Some of you might remember Vargus girls in Playboy Magazine. Vargus had nothing on my dad when it came to painting nudes. The picture below is the only clean one I can post. I had to copy this from the web, my oldest brother has my dads photo's and won't let any of his family have any of them. Truck Shop

  22. #22RZucker2017-03-10 20:48

    Vintage aftermarket Mercury sleeper. That is one of the largest I have seen. Used to have a friend that drove a mid 60's KW that had the standard 36" sleeper in polished stainless. THe rest of the truck was "Shocking Orange" and I mean bright.

  23. #23cuttin edge2017-03-10 22:01

    I worked for D&N truck lines when I was in highschool. I had no class 1 licence but he had me driving all over the province. At the time he had 36 units. 30 Pete's and 6 KWs. I learned to drive in a 359 hauling a flatbed. To this day I can't look out the back window to back up a truck, I have to use my mirrors. I had a love for the 359s, I even liked the 379s

  24. #24Truck Shop2017-03-10 22:01

    That sleeper has created allot of argumentative conversation. I have had people tell me that Mercury never made a sleeper like that. That it was a northwest built Willard or Hood sleeper. But I talked to the man who originally bought it, he worked for Brown Line in Mt. Vernon, Wa. He told me it was a Mercury and he bought it in 1964 and never installed it. In 1967 he sold it to the original owner of the 66 Pete who I bought it from. I was the second owner of the Pete, third owner of the sleeper. There was a tag inside the right side box but it was a screen print tag and all you could make out was Calif in print. Mercury sleepers were built in southern Calif. I sold it to a person that was going to install it on a early 60's KW. That never happened, it ended up a dog house or kennel then later I was at the local scrap yard and saw it smashed for scrap. Too bad. Truck Shop

  25. #25Truck Shop2017-03-11 19:28

    This old A-Car was one tough looking truck. This one is a 1965 ,335, 13sp X 4 on RS380 suspension with SQHD's. An old logger with bad aluminum rails and cab floor boards are rusted out. I was looking at saving it but for the price basically your buying hood, fenders and grille. Finding good windshields for these Kelowna cabs is getting pretty hard. Truck Shop

  26. #26Metalman 552017-03-11 20:50

    Here is an old GMC, around a 1953 model I think that my father owned during his early years in business. Dad & granddad made the deck up & mounted it on the truck & he used it for several years to move his Allis Chalmers HD6 dozer around on.

  27. #27Shimmy12017-03-11 21:58

    I sent just a pic of your truck to my uncle, asked him what brand sleeper this was. He texts me this: "I don't know. Not a popular one. Brown made one like that, and a couple other places in Washington that looked similar." I'm not trying to make anybody wrong or right, just seems like nobody really knows for sure.

  28. #28farmerlund2017-03-11 22:14

    If I comment on this tread, does that make me old? My truck is one year older than me. I still have the 1968 Kenworth W900 that I learned to drive truck in. 855 cumimins set a 340HP, 13spd and torsion bar rear suspension. No power steering and aluminum frame. It had a small sleeper on it for years. When we repainted it years ago we took it off and made it a day cab. Used it till the mid 90s, now it is stashed in a shed. It has a even serial number 110000. always thought that was kind of cool, plus easy to remember.

  29. #29Shimmy12017-03-11 22:28

    Anyone here ever heard of an Aeroliner? Hinges look identical to yours, Truck Shop.

  30. #30Truck Shop2017-03-11 22:48

    Your not making anybody wrong or right, I'm just going by what the man told me who bought it new and Amil Pasco the man who bought that Pete brand new. Now for the rest of the story about that Pete. My mom and dad divorced in 66 I stayed on the dairy farm with my mom and sister. I would once in a great while go to Ellensburg to see my dad and hitch a ride with the milk truck driver to get there. On one trip in the milk truck we were headed from Pasco, Wa to the Arden milk plant in Moses Lake, Wa. when we came up along side a mauve with a black stripe Peterbilt. That Peterbilt! I was eleven years old at the time. It had the square shack on the back then. I thought that was the coolest looking thing on the road. Twenty two years later I became the second owner. That truck lived between Ellensburg and Cle Elum . Where I ended up living for 25 years so it was easy for me to keep an eye on it. Truck Shop

  31. #31RZucker2017-03-11 22:51

    Actually, the shape and construction of that sleeper does resemble some of the trailers that Brown trailer in Spokane Wa. built in the 50's.

  32. #32Truck Shop2017-03-11 22:54

    Yes I've heard of Aero Liner they were distributors for Willard and Hood plus there own brand. And allot of those sleeper manufactures used those same hinges. I will add that there were only fifteen of the sleepers like the one my Pete made in 64. Told that by the man who bought it. And I really don't know why he would have lied to me, what would be the point. And see this sleeper causes all kinds of conversation.

  33. #33RZucker2017-03-11 23:15

    Wow. the Arden milk plant,,, haven't thought about that for a long time. When I was 5-6 years old we lived out just past the U&I sugar mill and I remember going home in the dark and seeing that milk plant all lit up, seemed that it was mostly glass. It was a Safeway Milk plant recently. I haven't paid attention for a while and don't know if it's still operating. I do know that Milky Way transport's yard is right on the back fence.

  34. #34Shimmy12017-03-11 23:49

    Hey, Truck Shop. The buddy my uncle called posted this pic on Facebook. Man by the name of Cam Lavin. He claims it's a TruckTrailer. He also posted two more of a TruckTrailer sleeper.

  35. #35Truck Shop2017-03-12 12:59

    Wonder where he got the photo of my old sleeper. That photo had to be taken at the shop I worked at. The scrap yard was one block down. And I guess if it's a truck trailer it's a truck trailer. But I find it funny that I'm the one who owned it for years and I am told I didn't know what it was. Don't know any Cam Lavin. What's really odd is the interest people have in this sleeper. It probably still smells inside I passed allot of gas in there. Truck Shop

  36. #36Truck Shop2017-03-12 13:10

    This is what the truck ended up after I removed the shack Truck Shop

  37. #37Shimmy12017-03-12 13:13

    Well, this Cam guy is pretty sharp on old trucks. He has apparently been on Modern Marvels on the History Channel talking about old trucks, and also has many build records on microfiche.

  38. #38Shimmy12017-03-12 13:23

    Truck Shop, please don't think I set out trying to be the hero of the day here. I sent a pic of your truck to my uncle to see if he knew for sure what brand bunk it was, and he ended up being FB friends with this Cam Lavin guy. My uncle has been driving truck for over 40 years, has almost 5 million logged miles, he's my go-to guy on anything I'm unsure of. He is going to message Cam and ask him how he got the pic of your shack on the ground.

  39. #39Truck Shop2017-03-12 13:48

    I do know who this Cam Levin is. I had a conversation June of last year with him on ATHS forum about that shack. He said then It wasn't a Merc and was positive about it. Truck Shop

  40. #40Truck Shop2017-03-12 14:33

    One of the worst things I ever did was taking the sleeper off that 66 Pete. I wished I had never done that, actually I wish I had that Pete back . Truck Shop

  41. #41Truck Shop2017-03-13 17:36

    Thanks for your input Shimmy, I talked to Cam Lavin and the best we could come up with is that it was an unbranded Truck Trailer sleeper. And the tag inside could have come from a California distributor or sales. But the one I had was odd because of the aluminum construction and most were steel framed. Truck shop

  42. #42Truck Shop2017-03-14 21:28

    Ran on to this 49 last Sunday. Truck Shop

  43. #43old-iron-habit2017-03-15 17:15

    Please don't say where it is. I would be trying to bring it home. I've always wanted a mountain logger. Never had any like that around here.

  44. #44Truck Shop2017-03-15 18:25

    Well here are some more of those old loggers. Truck Shop

  45. #45DoyleX2017-03-15 19:44

    Just wasted a case of socks! Thanks for the pics.

  46. #46old-iron-habit2017-03-15 22:42

    Looks like a dream vacation destination. Someone else can take a cruise and leave this spot for me.

  47. #47gtermini2017-03-16 11:22

    Is that yellow and green KW and old Wimer rig from Oregon? Greyson

  48. #48Truck Shop2017-03-16 15:50

    This is a rare one! Truck Shop

  49. #49Truck Shop2017-03-16 15:55

    That's an old Weyerhaeuser truck. Truck Shop

  50. #50Truck Shop2017-03-16 21:50

    1961 Diamond T {Big T] Can be seen at the Keystone Truck and Tractor Museum. They also have a beautiful black LTL Mack. Truck Shop

  51. #51RZucker2017-03-16 22:10

    Man I love a big Diamond T. That sleeper is almost as big as my motorhome.

  52. #52Truck Shop2017-03-16 22:15

    Well here are two of the finest LTL Macks to go with that Diamond T. Truck Shop

  53. #53Truck Shop2017-03-19 19:57

    Some old critters I photoed today. 73 W900A-L, late 30's US Navy Autocar, 36 or so Dodge, 1923 dodge. Truck Shop

  54. #54Truck Shop2017-03-19 20:29

    Also ran on to this B68 Mack gas burner. Truck Shop

  55. #55Truck Shop2017-03-19 21:32

    I left one pic out- that W900 has a 1693 Cat 325 hp. Originally it came with a 12V71. Truck Shop

  56. #56RZucker2017-03-19 23:19

    Funny... Gas powered Mack parked behind a Diesel Dodge. Which engine does the Mack have? There were a bunch of them. I've had a bit of experience with the 471's... a thousand years ago.

  57. #57Truck Shop2017-03-20 20:56

    IIRC the owner told me it was a 471. Those models make a nice pickup with 5.9 or 8.3 Cummins with Eaton 6306 6spd. I saw one with a custom built pickup box that looked really good. Truck Shop

  58. #58Truck Shop2017-03-21 19:30

    Have a little trip Monday to Jansen, Co. to look this one over. If it's in decent condition I will drive it home. Truck Shop

  59. #59RZucker2017-03-21 20:17

    That should make a nice toy. Details man, Details...

  60. #60Truck Shop2017-03-21 22:37

    It's for the company use only. We are turning two of the oldest units into spares so while a drivers truck is in the shop he can drive a spare. Even under warranty allot of the dealers have a truck tied up for days and weeks. We have three reliable dealers to take warranty issues to, stretched out over a wide area. But they complete the repair in half the time of most other dealers so that's where we will tote them to. We have had a simple jobs like replacing the front drive unit for example take four to five days to be completed in a dealer shop. In our company shop a front drive change out is 2 to 2 1/2 hrs, so we will drag those home. Insurance is fairly cheap and there is no tonnage on a fixed load so operational cost is not that much. A slip on fifthwheel style Zacklift is $32,000 plus and you don't have the 25 ton Holmes 750 to go with it. Plus you have to pull a tractor out of a haul to use it. This one has a 30,000 lb wheel lift with four sets of forks and a plug in remote. It has a BC II, RTLO14613A, Reyco spring on SQHD's, steel frame. We've reached a point with having 50 power units and running to North Dakota, Colorado and all over the northwest it's time to be more self contained with the company. The operating cost of a cheap but reliable tow truck verses having a tractor setting in the back lot of the closest dealer waiting for repairs is apples and oranges. The amount revenue lost is gross. This unit isn't costing the company much allot less than the slip on units. Every load is on a time table and sometimes just waiting for a towing company to arrive is a big wait plus in the end the driver is hold-up in a motel when he could be in a spare tractor getting the load there and we are not pulling the closest unit away to finish that load. Plus the driver is making a pay check. And because I use to own and operate a tow unit guess who is relegated to drive this one. The other two guys working in the shop will drive it also. Plus It's a 1979 W900A-what could be better? IMO Truck Shop

  61. #61RZucker2017-03-21 23:00

    Actually, that's a pretty sensible idea in today's trucking market. I've toyed with towing for customers... But the insurance and equipment was kind of an "eek" moment.

  62. #62farmerlund2017-03-22 18:19

    Maybe A 1974 W900A still in service with a lowboy. Looks like a good tow truck.

  63. #63Truck Shop2017-03-25 18:34

    Here is one very nice LTL Mack in the Keystone Museum truck collection. The 350 Cummins was being out of framed and a unique inside frame power steering installed. Truck Shop

  64. #64Truck Shop2017-03-25 18:37

    And the last pic was from years ago before Keystone acquired it Truck Shop

  65. #65Truck Shop2017-04-08 21:19

    Here's my favorite tow truck It's a 1951 Holmes W70-70 ton mechanical on a 1961 Autocar. Only four W70 units were built and this is the only one left. This unit is a killer tow truck. Truck Shop

  66. #66Junkyard2017-04-08 22:01

    500' of 7/8 wire rope lol. Geez. Holmes was pretty creative back in the day. It's a testament that so many 750's etc are still being used in some form or fashion. A 180 Cummins. Probably geared crazy low too. Pull anything just not very fast.....

  67. #67Truck Shop2017-04-15 20:25

    Some art work by Truck Shop

  68. #68Junkyard2017-04-15 20:44

    Awesome. I have ZERO talent in that area. Way cool. Junkyard

  69. #69Truck Shop2017-04-17 21:10

    Some more Pen & Inks-the name of my abandoned website was Big Trucks in Ink.

  70. #70Birken Vogt2017-04-17 21:17

    OK, what is the story with the power steering?

  71. #71RZucker2017-04-17 21:22

    I'm not sure what they used for steering gear, but I recognize that Saginaw pump from the military 5 tons with the 250 cummins engine.

  72. #72Truck Shop2017-04-17 22:55

    Where he came up with that steering box I don't know, But I can find out. That right hand starter bell housing with the removable mounts are not that common. Bells with single bolt mount cast into the bell were fairly common in the right hand starter application. But that steering gear looks like a Ross to me. Truck Shop

  73. #73RZucker2017-04-17 23:16

    Thinking back on it... those military 5 tons may have had an inside the frame steering gearbox. Not sure, it's been 18-19 years since I saw one.

  74. #74Truck Shop2017-04-28 19:17

    I saw a early 50's KW C.O.E. on a drop deck headed east toward Lewiston, ID. today. Those trucks are few and far between, I haven't seen one in a years. The one I saw was not near as nice as the one pictured below. Truck Shop

  75. #75hvy 1ton2017-04-28 20:00

    I love bullnose kw's

  76. #76RZucker2017-04-28 20:58

    I have to say I would like to get inside of one to see if they are as roomy as they look. Of course being a non tilt cab you have to go through the interior to get to the engine. Been there on an old bubblenose Freightliner and a '56 KW K100? Not a lot of fun.

  77. #77Junkyard2017-04-28 21:29

    There's a guy in Ks that has one of those. There was a story in Wheels of Time a few years back. He got it from the original owner (or his family don't recall) who had driven it all its life, 50 some odd years. They brought it to a show in Oklahoma a couple different years I was there. Really nice older guy and the truck was a survivor, more or less unmolested as it worked. Junkyard

  78. #78Truck Shop2017-04-28 22:12

    Here's a good video of owner driving his 55 KW C.O.E. for the last time. Truck Shop

  79. #79old-iron-habit2017-04-28 22:53

    Fun ride. Thanks for taking us along.

  80. #80Truck Shop2017-04-28 23:12

    I was in one years ago, it had decent room for the driver. And yes those old stationary cabs were not that fun when it came to doing engine work. But those old cab overs had the looks the newer ones never had. Truck Shop

  81. #81RZucker2017-04-29 00:21

    After watching the vid that looks to be one wide cab, could be that a long leg critter like me could even be comfy in the bunk.

  82. #82Birken Vogt2017-04-29 01:59

    What kind of turbo engine would have been in a 1955? I was under the impression that most were NA in that era.

  83. #83Truck Shop2017-04-29 19:06

    That truck in the video was updated to a small cam 350 Cummins. But in those years NA primarily was what there was for choice's. Cummins 220 with a turbo/262 and the variety of engines stemmed from Waukesha, Buda, Le Roi, but most were the Cummins HB6 at 150 hp. Truck Shop

  84. #84Truck Shop2017-04-29 19:50

    Friend of mine here in town owns this old girl. Truck Shop

  85. #85Junkyard2017-04-29 20:03

    The 250 in my 63 Autocar has a turbo but specs call it altitude compensating something or other lol. It was born with a 220. It's also a passenger side starter. Not sure where Jimmy came up with the motor in it.

  86. #86RZucker2017-04-29 20:14

    You forgot the Hall-Scott engines... The 1091's were pretty strong in the day

  87. #87Truck Shop2017-04-29 20:36

    Oh I didn't forget them I was just leaving it out knowing you would jump on those scotty engines . Truck Shop

  88. #88old-iron-habit2017-04-29 21:26

    Maybe on the same lines as the old Caterpillars dozers turbo's that were used on high altitude machines and had to have the fuel set totally different. There were called altitude compensating also. Not really a boost like todays turbo's but just enough to make up for the thinner air.

  89. #89old-iron-habit2017-04-29 21:35

    Not as old as the recent pictures but here is one of mine that will be coming out to play soon. 28-1/2' bed with 18-1/2 foot of dump. Spent its working life hauling pole building trusses in N.D. 1979 Chevrolet Titan, 335 Cummins, 13 speed.

  90. #9092U 34062017-04-29 21:47

    WOW!!! You've got some talent. Great job! I've been trying to do a pencil sketch of my W900A for a while and I've only been able to draw a pathetic looking front bumper so far.

  91. #91RZucker2017-04-29 21:54

    Well, for what it's worth, the huge gassers of the 40's and 50's have always fascinated me. I guess it started with Granddad's 450 and 501 powered IH "K" series trucks. Even got to drive an old Mack "L" with a 707 gas once for the fun of it.

  92. #92Junkyard2017-04-29 21:57

    View attachment 168551 View attachment 168552 View attachment 168551 View attachment 168552 Not great pics, I posted some others awhile back. My 63 as it sits. One of these days I'll get back to it lol B81 is my friends, he's got an AC, LTL that is badass, LJ, several smaller B models. I've gotten pretty good tinkering with the old AC motor. Can't get it to stop doubling that pic! Lol Junkyard

  93. #93Junkyard2017-04-29 22:17

    I have a video of it running but it won't let me upload it. Grrrr

  94. #94Truck Shop2017-04-29 22:25

    I was just kidding you, but you did leave out the Climax engines Truck Shop

  95. #95Truck Shop2017-04-29 22:29

    Great pictures and a beautiful Mack AC, Junkyard. Truck

  96. #96Junkyard2017-04-29 22:30

    Dug up more of Tocci's stuff. Not trying to hijack your thread Truck Shop. Kick me off at anytime ;-)

  97. #97Junkyard2017-04-29 22:35

    The AC is my buddy's. He bought it from a guy who spent six figures resorting it. It's probably in better shape than new. My friend is a hardcore bulldog man. In his mind they're the only real truck there. I've wrenched on his stuff for years. Several Superliners with E9 V8's, R models with 350's, the old END stuff in the B models, gas motor in the wrecker runs like a sewing machine. AC ran like crap when he got it. A days tinkering and I had it purring like a kitten. It's like the old dozers you can lug it down and literally count each cylinder firing.

  98. #98RZucker2017-04-29 22:44

    That wrecker has to be the heaviest EH model Mack I have ever seen, most were just another medium duty truck. I had an A-53 once years ago with a pitman crane, had an EN-471 gasser with a 5x3 trans. Same small cab as the EH model, It sounded good with a 4" straight pipe.

  99. #99RZucker2017-04-29 22:47

    Well... being on a snow blower that is technically more of a stationary engine, but still pretty bad ***.

  100. #100Junkyard2017-04-29 22:48

    It is a freakin tank, gas motor. It was a working truck up until a few years ago. I think at some point we will start a partial restoration on it. Needs a fuel tank and some other odds and ends. It's a hoss for sure, if anybody driving a later model truck thinks it's too tough, just spend a little time in one of those....

  101. #101Truck Shop2017-04-29 22:48

    That's a fantastic LTL, best looking Mack ever built. Junkyard this isn't my thread, it's everyone's place to add what ever they have on old trucks of any kind any year. So everyone Please post your pictures. Truck Shop

  102. #102Junkyard2017-04-29 22:56

    Yes the LTL's are art to me. Hence the nickname Duisenberg of diesels. It's a cummins, 5+4 with a power tower(not sure why it's on there). The interior in it is clean as can be. Lots of stainless. Even has the factory battery boxes still in one piece. It's got air ride now, that resto was done some time ago by a man in Louisiana. Lord knows what he spent on it. I'm tempted to swap the tower in my A-car for his so I can have the option to run something with it. Both are 8431 back boxes. He will die owning that LTL I have no doubt.

  103. #103Truck Shop2017-04-29 22:59

    Actually Sterling used a gas Climax for two years during the 40's. Engines were hard to get during WWII. Truck Shop

  104. #104hvy 1ton2017-04-30 00:01

    Apparently, I'm too much of heathen to even know Mack Made an LTL. Have to agree, it's beautiful.

  105. #105Labparamour2017-04-30 10:11

    Really enjoying seeing the pics/vids, beautiful artwork and reading everyone's recollections from the day… I really enjoyed the national meet in Salem, OR last year! I've been fortunate to have had the opportunity to drive a 2 stick rig (briefly!) and some Detroit powered machines (such a distinctive sound). It also gives me an appreciation for what drivers back in the day endured... (There's a thread on the forum about equipment operators complaining about open cabs, ha!) Have a good weekend, DB

  106. #106Birken Vogt2017-04-30 11:10

    I know an old driver who is in his mid 90s. His stories often revolve around "gas pots" so I am sure the drivers of the above trucks were happy to even have a diesel. And a twin stick seems complicated these days with air shift Roadrangers, and automatics, but back in the day it was a big step up from a straight 5 speed crash box. A 5 speed and an old Detroit would work, but around here, if you started up a hill from stopped, you were not going to get out of 1st or 2nd gear until you hit some level ground.

  107. #107JPV2017-04-30 20:43

    My uncle owned a mid 60's KW log truck until 2000 when he traded it for a brand new Pete. The kw had a 335 and a 5 and a 4. He loved it, it looked to me like when you were empty you had a job to do and when you were loaded you had a REAL job to do!

  108. #108old-iron-habit2017-05-01 09:38

    And then they made the "hotstick" and the 5 X 4 became a joy to drive.

  109. #109JPV2017-05-01 10:41

    What was the Hot stick? I don't believe I am familiar.

  110. #110Truck Shop2017-05-01 18:52

    I believe he is talking about a air shift brownie, Not many people liked those. Especially in winter. I could be wrong on though. Truck Shop

  111. #111RZucker2017-05-01 20:22

    Well... being the usual "odd man out" that I am . I did drive an International with an 8V-71 and the air shifted Spicer 4X4 trans for a bit and don't remember any problems. With that 2 stroker you could make it sound like an automatic. The one I didn't care for was that goofy 20 spd dual range thing they had.

  112. #112Junkyard2017-05-01 20:28

    My spicer back boxes were all air shift, they were actually sold as an APO 1750-4 but were a 1241 in every way. Only issues we had were due to gross negligence in the input torque category based on gross weight. Split that one yoke to yoke when he shifted pulling out of a plant grossing about 240k. Why the aux and not the main? Hell if I know.

  113. #113RZucker2017-05-01 21:04

    I'm guessing too high of a gear in the rear and too low in the front. I was taught to stay low as possible in the aux. box and be patient to get a big one rolling. When the main is in low the torque multiplication is something fierce going into the auxiliary box.

  114. #114Junkyard2017-05-01 21:14

    He was in 1st under drive in the back box and probably 1st or 2nd in the main. I always came out like that but I never shifted the back box until I was comfortably rolling on flat ground or downhill. He was in a stressful pull out of a gate, turning and going uphill. He knew better. Truck was geared plenty low, 2nd under was crazy low, you could drag right through the brakes if you had traction. So much gear it was really hard to tell how much stress you were applying to things. 1st under was just right, you could roll slow enough you didn't have to touch the clutch and creep right out of the gate. If his ears were bigger he wouldn't have been able to fit his head up his ***! Haha. Junkyard

  115. #115Truck Shop2017-05-01 21:45

    Finally found out the steering gear is a Ross #FA0001907 from a 1986 R686ST Mack

  116. #116Truck Shop2017-05-01 21:49

    Oh that's a very bad case of crackosis, Say's Doctor Detroit. Truck Shop

  117. #117Birken Vogt2017-05-01 22:28

    To me a "crack" is something that starts slowly and propagates. Like you would find in a bucket or boom. I would call that "plumb busted".

  118. #118RZucker2017-05-02 00:13

    "Kerblooie" is the proper technical term for that.

  119. #119BSAA65LB2017-05-02 05:44

    40 years experience, I can confirm that picture shows it is broke. That is why I get the big bucks to diagnose these problems! And that was an expensive "oops"

  120. #120JPV2017-05-02 07:46

    Alexander Botts of the Earthworm Tractor Company would call it a "Blowed up sucker"!

  121. #121Junkyard2017-05-02 08:03

    Yes it was. I was behind him steering the trailer and it sounded like somebody shot a rifle. Because I was downhill and off the the side a little I saw the oil dump out of it. He stopped and got out, asked me what he should do. I said if it moves at least get it out of the middle of the road. The most God awful crunching I've ever heard but it moved that last 150' we needed before it completely expired. Had another one, same truck I think, shear all the back mounting bolts which allowed the box to drop, swing to the side, rip all the air lines within reach plumb out of the frame for 10' in either direction, caught the PTO cover on the frame and peeled a corner back dumping oil everywhere, knocked the lube pump off the back of it. I got out there and after some careful inspection decided I could fix it where it sat. Some parts, a lot of cuss words and a couple days later she was back to work. Oh, and this was all in Toole, UT in the plant the disassembled all the chemical weapons so it was all done with a gas mask at my side. Good times! Junkyard

  122. #122Truck Shop2017-05-05 19:35

    Junkyard here are some pics of custom built lowboys. Truck Shop

  123. #123Junkyard2017-05-05 19:39

    I worked a job with a Peerless that was very similar to that. Like 450 ton capacity or thereabouts. They were having hell steering it and after watching I figured out what their guy was doing wrong. Politely butted him over and took over the levers and put it right where it was needed to slide the transformer off. It's amazing what technology has done to heavy haul equipment. Structural design as well as visual. I consulted on some stuff several years ago that came out slick and moved some loads over the road in excess of 1.5M gross. Way cool experience. I miss the nuts and bolts of that business but darn sure not all the associated headaches! Junkyard

  124. #124Junkyard2017-05-05 19:45

    A few snaps from awhile back. I have some other pics of bigger stuff but I'm afraid to post them, not sure if I'm still bound by all the confidentiality agreements I signed lol. Nothing old here though except maybe for the 518 Linkbelt and the 657 scraper themselves. I do have some old stuff I'll throw on next.

  125. #125Junkyard2017-05-05 19:48
  126. #126Junkyard2017-05-05 19:49
  127. #127Junkyard2017-05-05 19:51
  128. #128Junkyard2017-05-05 19:54

    Just a collection of random old pics I get from Tocci. He's got a huge collection and finds all kinds of new ones. His knowledge of all the old giant M series Macks and all the various Rogers 100 ton and larger lowboys is amazing considering he's not that old. School age when most of it was being used in its prime. Junkyard

  129. #129RZucker2017-05-05 21:02

    I think I did mention that my brother was a machinist for Lampson that probably had a lot to do with many of those one-off trailers.

  130. #130Junkyard2017-05-05 21:17

    Lampson has always had a knack for some one off stuff..... I like it

  131. #131RZucker2017-05-06 14:01

    Yes they do. There's some really interesting stuff in that yard. they used to have a giant old Kenworth with a 12V71 and planetary rears that they used as a prime mover for most of those trailers. And there was an early 70's IH F-series heavy duty tractor floating around too. One tough looking truck.

  132. #132crane operator2017-05-06 19:53

    Love the lampson yard pics, also your pics junkyard. I admire those old guys that would build something to get a job done. Would be tough to custom build that stuff today, with liability and insurance issues we have today.

  133. #133Truck Shop2017-05-06 20:12

    Thank's for posting those great pictures Junkyard. Truck Shop

  134. #134Junkyard2017-05-06 20:34

    You're welcome. I could get a ton more, I could do 10-12 a day for a year probably. Those are just the random ones I have on my phone. I love that old stuff. Went to the steam and gas engine show today, there's some pics on my work thread. Wanted to see them plow with a 110 HP JI Case steam tractor but it was too wet :-( Junkyard

  135. #135old-iron-habit2017-05-08 19:49

    Here's a poor quality picture that the fellow that owned the mill gave me a couple years ago. Our 1968 9500 Series GMC with a screaming 6-71 and 10 speed road ranger. Geared for 56 MPH flat out Always ran loaded at about 100,000 lbs. Yes I shifted a lot.

  136. #136Junkyard2017-05-08 20:00

    Did you have to slam your hand in the door each time you got in so you could drive it properly pissed off? Haha

  137. #137old-iron-habit2017-05-10 00:00

    Usually driving like hell trying to out run a hangover in them days and try to make enough money to start another one that night. That load was supposed to go in the local 4th of July parade but I broke the main boom on the old Barko 60 loader loading them Norway Pine. Instead I spent all 4th of July weekend fixing the boom. Used to pick the long tree length stuff in the middle and swing it around the back of the loader to load. It was a happy day when we got a true pole loader with a boom heel and some true lift.

  138. #138Truck Shop2017-05-13 21:54

    Back in the early 60's the company that hauled the milk from our dairy had a GMC like this one except it was green and black with the 702 cu. in. V12 gas pot. 5 sp with two sp axle. pulled a 35 ft tanker. It had chrome straight pipes that you could hear well over a mile away. Truck Shop

  139. #139Birken Vogt2017-05-13 22:08

    I know a guy near here who has a running Toro-flow diesel that he fixed up and put in a Chevy pickup. He suspects it may be the only running Toro-flow left. Can anyone confirm or deny this idea?

  140. #140RZucker2017-05-13 22:15

    Used to be a F-250 running around here with a Toro-flow V-6.

  141. #141RZucker2017-05-13 22:22

    I know of a cabover GMC with the 702. The owner used to haul hay with it, he said the gas mileage was abysmal.

  142. #142Truck Shop2017-05-13 22:28

    There's one in Clarkston, Wa just up the road from me that runs. Smokes pretty hard though. Truck Shop

  143. #143Truck Shop2017-05-13 22:31

    Gas mileage was non existent with one of those buggers. Was that cab over a Cracker Box? Truck Shop

  144. #144RZucker2017-05-13 22:34

    No, just the little gasser type cab.

  145. #145Truck Shop2017-05-13 22:39

    http://thunderv12.com/

  146. #146Birken Vogt2017-05-13 22:58

    What I don't understand is why these gas guzzlers ever saw the light of day. Yes I know gas was 20 cents a gallon but inflation makes it higher then than now. How could they afford to feed them?

  147. #147RZucker2017-05-13 23:20

    I think a lot of it was the cost to buy and maintain the early diesels. And performance... There were a lot of big gas engines in the 50's and early 60's that beat the diesels in both power and reliability. Imagine the old Hall Scott 1091 CI engines at 375HP running Butane fuel that was really cheap in some parts of the country. I think the same engine was 300HP on regular gasoline. in 1969 my grandfather was still hauling D-8 Cats on a big Peerless 3 axle lowboy using a big old IH K-series tandem with a 501 gas engine and had a bunch of K- series dumps with the 450 gasser. His answer was "if you gotta worry about the gas bill... you ain't makin' money".

  148. #148Truck Shop2017-05-14 20:56

    Junkyard, I posted some pics of this B-71 on here sometime ago. 1956 B-71 220 Cummins. I have been after it for years but the guy wants more than I can spend. He want's for nothing. It's hidden away from sight on his wheat farm. I noticed last year there was some rust starting to develop now. Mack only made 522 B-71's. If anyone knows of someone with deep pockets I will show them where it's at. I hate to see it go to hell. 225,000 miles or so Truck Shop

  149. #149Junkyard2017-05-14 22:33

    I'll see what my buddy says. We chased a guy for years that had a B model dump with the little V8. Never did get a deal done. How deep do the pockets need to be? Lol. I agree, I hate watching good old iron turn to a pile of rust. In regard to the gassers. I'd LOVE to have something with Hall Scott power. Some of that old stuff is just too cool.

  150. #150Truck Shop2017-05-15 20:59

    I can tell you I offered him 5K for it and he turned his nose up at that. So who knows what it will take. Truck Shop

  151. #151Junkyard2017-05-15 21:01

    Some of the rare Macks bring good money in that shape. I sold my B81SX for $7,500 and it was rough. Ran good and drove good but had rust. Those were pretty rare too.

  152. #152Truck Shop2017-05-16 20:10

    Now here is one I'm sure not a lot of you have seen. In the mid 60's the feedlot next to our dairy had a Studebaker Diesel. It had tandem axles with a Detroit and 4x4 boxes. It had a auger box on the back. The pic below is best I could find to show what one looked like. A big Studebaker pickup. Truck Shop

  153. #153Truck Shop2017-05-27 21:49
  154. #154Junkyard2017-05-27 22:03

    Dude those are bada$$. Love the B model. That is a talent I absolutely don't have. Wish I did.

  155. #155Truck Shop2017-05-28 22:38

    Thanks, JY Truck Shop

  156. #156Junkyard2017-05-30 19:37

    No explanation necessary

  157. #157JPV2017-05-30 22:55

    I see 2 sticks, a retarder and new ac parts, so far so good, now need some more pics! We will be starting to fix up the 900A longhood with 3408 that my boss has soon, I will get some pics of that soon. It had ac but it is all gone so we will be replacing everything with new, a few pics of how the hoses are routed actually would be pretty helpful. None around here to look at!

  158. #158Junkyard2017-05-30 23:10

    Working on more info and pics. A friend stumbled onto an entire fleet of them...... trying to ascertain what their plans are for them and see if we can't get our hands on a couple if not all of them.

  159. #159JPV2017-05-31 07:42

    I see, good luck!

  160. #160td25c2017-06-05 21:46

    Nice find on the KW fleet Junkyard !

  161. #161Junkyard2017-06-05 21:51

    I'm waiting impatiently for more info. I'm hoping they don't realize what they have and I can get a couple or maybe even all of them

  162. #162Truck Shop2017-07-15 19:17

    Some GMC's and other stuff I ran across today. Truck Shop

  163. #163Truck Shop2017-07-15 19:19

    Some more

  164. #164RZucker2017-07-16 20:37

    I do believe I see a 702 V-12 in those pics.

  165. #165Truck Shop2017-07-16 21:24

    I have been waiting for your reply, I knew you would spot that 702. 2 1/2 to 4 miles to the gallon on a good day . What do you think of that 48 FWD? that came from Port Angeles Power & Light. Here is a pic of the rear drive axle, tell me what you see. Truck Shop

  166. #166RZucker2017-07-16 21:48

    I would have to say old Timken.

  167. #167RZucker2017-07-17 22:22

    On a second thought... Didn't FWD produce their own axles for the most part? That way they could match the front and rear closely.

  168. #168Truck Shop2017-07-18 21:08

    This one has FWD on the back side of the rear housing, plus it looks like it's fabricated rather than a forged axle. Truck Shop

  169. #169RZucker2017-07-18 23:38

    I gotta say this much, the FWD is a neat truck and would be fun to restore and play with... But I really want that red early 60's Chev pickup!. In high school I had a blue 1960 big window that came with a 6 cylinder that ran like crap, so I stuck a cheap 307 in it. It actually ran pretty good. Carter AFB and rams horn exhaust manifolds with the original 4spd trans. It also had coil springs in the rear. Good ride but it needed the best in shocks.

  170. #170Truck Shop2017-07-19 20:32

    Found this honey on CL, Bend, Or. 66 AutoCar very complete $5,500 these are very-very hard to find. Truck Shop

  171. #171RZucker2017-07-19 21:10

    It's in Bend but has Wa. plates... Interesting truck.

  172. #172Truck Shop2017-07-22 22:25

    Here is a nice example of a 1961 B75, that grille with that cab made a real looker. Truck Shop

  173. #173Delmer2017-07-22 22:53

    Currently on craigs list. Wausau or Northern Wi. The owner is kind of wishy washy on the price, he might want $4,500, or maybe he'd take under $1,500 cause he'd have to haul it to the scrap yard and maybe cut it too. "Best offer. So far this is what I know 1500 Scrap Old farmer told me tranny was worth 3000" Whatever you paid for this midwest rustbucket, you'd be better off starting with something from WA or OR, but then you'd have to haul it if you're in the midwest.

  174. #174Truck Shop2017-07-22 23:21

    That's a model 921 Diamond T and those are pretty hard to find. This 921 below has been for sale for awhile now, they have been asking the silly price of $9,000. Real worth is about $4,000 to $5,000. But thanks for posting those old T's were neat looking old rig's. Truck Shop

  175. #175diamondtguy2017-07-23 00:04

    Cool thread....Just started reading it and will continue. My two trucks....My 1936 Diamond T 212...My dad bought it in 68 and I inherited it in 88..Restoration by me. My Grizzly Truck 1990...I have a thread on this truck in the Forestry Equipment Forum..

  176. #176Truck Shop2017-07-23 21:55

    I had to go back to this one because no one even replied, maybe didn't know how rare this Freightliner is. This Freightliner is a 1960 only 15 prototypes were built between 1960 and 1965. This one was #2 and only two were built in 1960. The fiberglass hood and body parts were built by a marine company in Portland Or. This truck has only had one owner, he bought it in 1961. There is one other one left it's a day cab. It was bought a few years ago and supposedly is in Missouri. The same guy who owns that one has been trying to buy this 60 but I doubt he will get it. I keep an eye on this truck twice a month. Truck Shop

  177. #177Truck Shop2017-07-25 22:44

    Well I see the one above brought a lot interest, maybe this one will. 1947 LT Mack second one built with a 1091 cu in Hall Scott gas/butane engine. I can hear it running from my monitor screen . Truck Shop

  178. #178Junkyard2017-07-25 22:48

    I'd like to have something Hall Scott powered someday. If for no other reason than to say I do!

  179. #179RZucker2017-07-25 23:24

    That puppy was a powerhouse in the day. IIRC a 1091 on butane was an honest 375 HP. And about 325 on gasoline. That would be like a 600HP 3406E today. How many years did it take Cummins to hit 375 with the blowers?[/QUOTE]

  180. #180Truck Shop2017-07-26 21:02

    This is off subject from the thread but the themes from western movies are great to listen to. I have these on a flash drive for traveling, I'm just very tired of radio stations and the music they play. Truck Shop

  181. #181crane operator2017-08-03 23:03

    1952 white ? $6500 and that looks like a narrow cab... https://littlerock.craigslist.org/cto/d/1952-white-super-power-wc-26t/6200096225.html

  182. #182crane operator2017-08-03 23:06

    And a mack cabover. $7500 1961 With a short wheelbase. Is that a sleeper, or just a storage compartment in the cab? https://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/d/1961-mack-truck/6235726235.html

  183. #183Truck Shop2017-08-04 07:50

    In those years that was about all there was for a sleeper. I believe that's a H71ST model. A guy here in town recently sold a 1955 W71ST it went to Penn. Nice old trucks C.O. thanks for posting. Truck Shop

  184. #184Truck Shop2017-08-05 22:20

    A nice W900L for sale on CL. https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1981-kenworth-long-hood/6251878300.html Truck Shop

  185. #185alskdjfhg2017-08-05 22:54

    Wow that does look like super tiny, even by these old truck standards. Still a really neat looking truck though.

  186. #186dingus2017-08-06 01:40

    This is probably in this forum somewhere.I thought people that remember this Tv program might like this

  187. #187Truck Shop2017-08-06 18:54

    Went for a drive late morning to look at this K100 110" sleeper. Looks like it has a 8V92 with KW torsion bar suspension, cab and glass look to be in fine shape. Truck Shop

  188. #188RZucker2017-08-06 19:23

    That's not bad looking.

  189. #189Junkyard2017-08-06 20:51

    Not at all, he had me at 8v92

  190. #190old-iron-habit2017-08-07 22:10

    Did you take it home? Can you share a ballpark price that is on it?

  191. #191Truck Shop2017-08-07 22:19

    No I'm still dealing on it and I have to look at it up close and see for sure what 92 is in it. He says make an offer, and I'm not going to give much for it. The whole truck is obsolete there for It's worth damn little. The inside is a mouse house-ripe as hell. Yummy Truck Shop

  192. #192RZucker2017-08-07 22:43

    I have discovered that the "Sprayway " glass cleaner will help neutralize mouse odor, mist every thing down a few times and it really helps. Doesn't totally eliminate the smell, but it gets you in the cab.

  193. #19392U 34062017-08-07 22:48

    Or you could gut the entire cab down to a shell and steam clean it......

  194. #194Junkyard2017-08-07 22:50

    Naw that's too much work. One pine tree and it's fresh as a daisy. Maybe a dryer sheet for good measure

  195. #195Truck Shop2017-08-07 23:01

    It's one of the reasons the truck isn't worth much. All of the interior removed and dash will have to be opened up and completely cleaned. And It's or could be very hazardous. I have done this before and you want to take all precautions because of Hantavirus that field mice might carry. I have friend who's uncle died from it. He cleaned a large nest out of a combine, his lungs filled with fluid and two days later he was dead. NO joke. Truck Shop

  196. #19692U 34062017-08-07 23:08

    Mice. Gross little buggers. I found a nest of them under the glove box of my W900 while I was pulling the wiring out of the dash. Decided to gut everything and start over after steam cleaning every inch inside lol.

  197. #197RZucker2017-08-07 23:12

    Hey... I just meant it will get you in the door. Been there done that. Duh.

  198. #19892U 34062017-08-07 23:49

    Not fun lol.

  199. #199RZucker2017-08-08 00:02

    Yeah, 3 John Deere tractors that had to had the interiors completely stripped to steel and remove all the access plates to wash out the mouse **** . They had sat in a machine shed for 15 years before an estate sale. Then there was the Freightliner cabover that I stripped with a number 2 square point shovel. It was really bad. In both cases the end result was good. But the glass cleaner helped the process to keep you from gagging.

  200. #200Delmer2017-08-08 00:14

    What's wrong with water? Take a garden hose to everything. It won't hurt anything that glass cleaner, mouse urine or a steam cleaner won't hurt. Really helps keep down the dust too, if you soak with a soft spray first.

  201. #201RZucker2017-08-08 00:17

    Water just seemed to make the smell worse.

  202. #202rwoody2017-08-08 14:17

    found A 74 PETE with 12v71 yeserday with 10 spd 410 gears and a wrecker bed 300" wheelbase wow its for sale south texas will try and get some pictures up

  203. #203old-iron-habit2017-08-08 15:50

    I will be looking forward to them. Try to get a therapeutic engine pic with the hood open if you can.

  204. #204Junkyard2017-08-08 19:20

    Oh lord. I didn't need to hear that.....

  205. #205hvy 1ton2017-08-08 19:57

    Let's be honest, yes you did.

  206. #206Junkyard2017-08-08 20:01

    Oh how you know me. If nothing else it appears that I'm resisting.....for all I know the mrs has created a profile and is checking up on me..... How much trouble can I really get in here.....

  207. #207alskdjfhg2017-08-08 20:09

    If you ever do come down the south Texas way, I may be able to help hook you up with a bunch of Detroit parts and engines. With the oilfield, the Richie bros auction always has a bunch, so far they have about 10 listed. Thinking about getting a few to mess around with myself. As if I didn't have enough to do....... Heck, if your ever in this neck of the woods and I got the machine shop up and running I could give you some pointers about making chips. Get you hooked on machine tools will make old trucks start to look cheap......

  208. #208Junkyard2017-08-08 20:24

    I used to be down that way quite often. Not so much anymore for work but my middle daughter plays competitive soccer and goes to a couple tournaments a year down there. It's not a bad drive for the heck of it anyway. I was in the DFW area week before last. Or as I like to call it, disfunction junction! I have a good friend in Daingerfield I'm well overdue to visit with so I might make a trip out of it.

  209. #209alskdjfhg2017-08-08 20:31

    Cool, just give me a shout if your down this way. Hopefully I'll have things a little more presentable then, farm is a huge mess right now. Got sick machines all over the place.....

  210. #210Junkyard2017-08-08 20:32

    Can't be any worse than my "establishment" haha.

  211. #211RZucker2017-08-08 21:39

    I want to see some pics too! Drove a '75 with a 12V71 for a bit in the mid 80's with a 10x4... good puller. Drove a '67 cabover Pete with a 12 too. Way too loud. But they would pull good.

  212. #212old-iron-habit2017-08-09 20:35

    Loud? WHAT DID YOU SAY? SPEAK UP.

  213. #213Truck Shop2017-08-09 20:50

    Here is a prime example of someone who should have left well enough alone. Made mess of it and wants $2,600 more than it's worth. That frame is rotten, To rebuild this truck it would take a $75,000 dollar bill. A very poor parts truck at that. https://spokane.craigslist.org/hvo/d/peterbilt/6253084511.html Truck Shop

  214. #214RZucker2017-08-09 22:00

    Saw this one a week ago and just shook my head.

  215. #21592U 34062017-08-09 22:06

    Sounds like that COE Pete I found a couple weeks ago. Saw it in person before I happened to see it online. Based on the condition I saw I wouldn't have paid much more than $7500 for it. Online they were asking 10x that for it, claiming it just had a bumper to bumper restoration and all the pics were from when it rolled out the shop (probably about 15 years ago by the looks of it). If its still there next week when I drive past I'll offer him $1500 for it lol.

  216. #216Junkyard2017-08-09 22:15

    That's atrocious eeewww

  217. #217Truck Shop2017-08-09 23:38

    Another issue is people buying old anything is that it's obsolete, This crap about {well that's what there going for] is just that crap. That 1976 K100 I posted is obsolete from the front bumper to the tail lights. KW has discontinued most of the trim and dash parts for those trucks and aftermarket prices are crazy. It's not a truck you would run every day working it. 8V92-obsolete, RTO12513-obsolete, SQHD's-obsolete, torsion bar suspension-obsolete. C.O.E.-obsolete. The max I will offer for it $950.00 bucks----- I just can't go $1,000- truthfully most old trucks are only worth what the tires are worth that are on it. That old girl is nothing more than a hobby. A friend of mine said this about muscle cars, hot rods, motorcycles and ski boats,---show me a stove and a frying pan big enough to fricassee that gas burner and I will eat my hat. To him if you couldn't eat it it wasn't worth having when times get tough. Truck Shop

  218. #21892U 34062017-08-10 00:32

    True enough. The W900A I'm doing up I've had to do a fair amount of fabricating because a lot of stuff just isn't available. Only reason I bought it was because the price was right. I've seen other A models on Kijiji for many thousands more than mine in the same condition but with new rubber.

  219. #219DMiller2017-08-10 21:32

    You're doomed!!

  220. #220Truck Shop2017-08-10 21:58

    In case anyone wonders what an old mechanic looks like, that's my shop partner in crime on the right and me on the left. We have been told that were just like those two Muppets. Truck Shop

  221. #221Truck Shop2017-08-17 21:44

    Here is a nice basic W900 https://lewiston.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1984-kenworth-w900/6261307876.html Truck Shop

  222. #222RZucker2017-08-17 21:59

    I have a couple of guys that will see this one first thing tomorrow. That's a sweet truck.

  223. #223Truck Shop2017-08-17 22:16

    It will probably end up full of sweat, hay hooks, and chaps. But wait a minute no one loads hay like that anymore. You asked if I saw any to tell you RZ. But your hay haulin friends have to keep it clean and treat it right . Truck Shop

  224. #224RZucker2017-08-17 22:43

    Already sent a link to a few of them. Thanks.

  225. #225Truck Shop2017-08-19 22:32

    Old oil field rig, he is mixed up on his years but the cab is pre 1964. Guessing 56 to 59. https://greatfalls.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1953-kenworth-heavy-haul-truck/6224704925.html Truck Shop

  226. #226rwoody2017-08-19 23:26

    found a complete 1693 cat with alum frame cutoff rad and all what is it worth says its not stuck but didnt have time to check out??????????

  227. #227Truck Shop2017-08-22 17:52

    Actually not much. Very obsolete and expensive to repair, the cylinder head is worth the most and only if you know of some one who needs one. In the early 90's a rebuild-able core cylinder head was going for 3,250.00. But it is still a neat find, what horse power rating is it? Truck Shop

  228. #228Truck Shop2017-08-22 20:47

    1977 110" K100 Truck Shop

  229. #229rwoody2017-08-22 23:27

    i dont know truck shop will have some more time and just pick it up with a large lot i am buying of a salvage truck shop/export out of business here in south tx he wants quarter for the cutoff will try and work him down

  230. #230rwoody2017-08-22 23:32

    i wish i had the $$ to play with that old 12v pete still might make a deal on it 24.5 wheels 410 gears!!!!!!!!!!! 13 od trans

  231. #231DMiller2017-08-26 18:59

    Surprised Junkyard isn't landing on that, he has a similar boom on his A-car, military wrecker/crane. 12V71, I shudder to think of trying to get that functional!! And you would NEED all thirteen in that box! Love the Muppets look-alikes, I have fond memories of two just like them in a truck shop setting!!

  232. #232DMiller2017-08-26 19:05

    Lets see, Armstrong steering, a 12v71, lots and lots of missing 'stuff' with a military wrecker/crane boom rear. I am surprised Junkyard is not in transit on that one!! That would be a lifetime of work to get anywhere NEAR to driveable!!

  233. #233Junkyard2017-08-26 22:01

    I have enough projects lol. It is an interesting start to a truck......

  234. #234Truck Shop2017-08-26 22:10

    I think that Salt Water Chevy would spring to life easier than one would think. Installing power box steering is pretty simple on one of those. I have seen far worse. Besides it's a 359 LH Truck Shop

  235. #235RZucker2017-08-26 23:10

    Why would you NEED all 13? I've driven 3 trucks with 12V71's and they were pretty torquey if you ask me. One was a lowboy tractor at 150k# plus. Had a 10x4 trans and I only used the brownie to get things rolling or an extra split on hills. with 80K it was like driving a passenger car. I preferred the 12 over the 400 small cam Cummins. It all depended on how you handled it.

  236. #236Truck Shop2017-08-27 12:32

    This for you RZ! Truck Shop

  237. #237rwoody2017-08-27 14:22

    its got a complete kit used to install power steering goes with truck

  238. #238colson042017-09-16 12:14

    While I'm not an 'old trucker' I do love this thread and y'all sharing your memories. Neat stuff. Stumbled on something on Craig's list worth sharing. https://kalamazoo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/first-2800-takes-it-1961/6308190848.html

  239. #239mowingman2017-09-16 18:39

    I wonder if that has a big gasser, or a small diesel. Maybe a Waukesha or a Cummins?

  240. #240Truck Shop2017-09-16 20:56

    Some pics from a local old truck and iron show today. Truck Shop

  241. #241Labparamour2017-09-16 21:51

    It's great seeing all the old rigs posted here. I also appreciate what previous generations did...as I'm rolling across country with a 2018 Freightliner w 12 spd auto, GPS, A/C, cellphone (although I like the 2001 KW W900 w Cat and 18 spd at my other job better). Have a good weekend guys! Darryl

  242. #242Truck Shop2017-09-17 07:26

    Some more pics Truck Shop

  243. #243old-iron-habit2017-09-17 07:46

    Nice pictures Truck Shop. Thanks for sharing. Where was the show at?

  244. #244Truck Shop2017-09-17 15:28

    The show was here in Walla Walla. Not a big show but some real nice trucks showed up. Truck Shop

  245. #245RZucker2017-09-17 18:38

    That Green and Black Pete at the top was on display a few years ago at the local Peterbilt dealer... That is one nice resto job. I like the extended cab cowl to give it the extended hood look.

  246. #246Truck Shop2017-09-17 19:01

    The owners name is Dave Autumn - old friend of G. Rominger. Autumn was a hay hauler for years. He bought the parts to extend it from Stan's Repair in Cle Elum plus when I showed him pics of my old 66 he really started to talk. He always wanted a Pete like Amil Pasco's-said he started wanting one the first time he saw Amil's in 67. Truck Shop

  247. #247Truck Shop2017-09-17 20:56

    I drew this some years back of what I wanted to do with my old 66 Pete, very similar to the green one above. Truck Shop

  248. #248Truck Shop2017-09-18 19:42

    A few more Truck Shop

  249. #249Junkyard2017-09-26 20:46

    Finally setup a YouTube channel. Here's the AC Mack I worked on awhile back. Forgive the poor camera operation

  250. #250Delmer2017-09-26 21:22

    Haha, I beat you to it back in post #174, or https://wausau.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1961-diamond-semi-very/6270504537.html Detroit Diesel straight six, and it's cheaper in Michigan...

  251. #251Truck Shop2017-09-26 22:37

    That looks like a 921 model, even though it's a little rough it looks very complete. Any Diamond T is a rare find these days. Truck Shop

  252. #252Truck Shop2017-10-08 20:52

    This one is for sale in case someone has a fire to put out. Nice/cool looking old 49 IH. Truck Shop

  253. #253old-iron-habit2017-10-08 23:32

    I seen this one the other day in a little town in Wisconsin. Next time I'm over that way I'm going to stop and check it out closer. 4 wheel drive to boot. Something about old log trucks. I like all styles and sizes. Must be a disease.

  254. #254hvy 1ton2017-10-09 00:43

    That is a mean looking REO. I "need" a 4wd fire truck for prescribed burns. I'm currently gathering the parts for a type 7-ish skid for a utv.

  255. #255RZucker2017-10-09 21:48

    I love those old K series trucks, grew up in a whole herd of them. Granddad had everything from a light fuel rig with 5 lug budds up to a big tandem that pulled the lowboy for a while then graduated to water truck duty when the '52 Peterbilt took over. I'm not sure, but I think the tandem had a 6602 Continental engine... Repower? Sorry I have no pics from the 60's.

  256. #256DMiller2017-10-10 12:09

    Most of the old Internationals had Red Diamond engines, became the International line as they bought Red Diamond out. Thus the RD engine series as was explained to me decades ago.

  257. #257DMiller2017-10-10 12:13

    Sweetest sounding old truck, old Fire Truck engine I ever worked on was a LaFrance Lycoming patent and pattern V12 gas. The Lycoming Aircraft base design was water cooled where it as a redesign worked well for hard demand short use fire engines. Damn thing purred as a kitten and could swap across the dual distributors at the dash switch with no stutter. Was a 1951 Ladder truck with a rear steer cab!

  258. #258RZucker2017-10-10 20:07

    Well I got bored today and did a bit of research, the KB-12 and KB-14 models were available with Continental 6586 engines, 587 cubes giving 200HP at 2600 RPM. Two cylinder heads and tall rocker covers. I have worked with RD 450 and 501 engines in the past and do remember that truck not having the shallow one piece rocker cover. But at the age of 9 or 10 I was just shadowing my Uncle that seemed to do all the truck work at that time. He did have a military maintenance background and it's entirely possible he did swap a 6602 in there for the 20 extra horses. This was all in the late 60's, I remember 1/4 turn valves in the cab to supply trailer air, a huge Johnson bar park brake (no maxis), I think the truck had a 5x3 trans and the interlock was a lever between your heels, pretty crude by todays standards. It seemed like the gooseneck on the old peerless 3 axle lowboy was nearly as tall as the cab on the old KB.

  259. #259Truck Shop2017-10-13 20:19

    On Aug 20th the day before the eclipse I was setting on my patio and heard the unmistakable pitch of a V12 Rolls. It was a P38 Lightening followed by a P51. They banked around to the run way to pickup two more a F4U and a P40 then made another round to pickup the third one a P47 Jug. Five of the greatest fighters in one group, really neat to see. They were making a fuel stop on their way to an air show. Some interesting info on the Walla Walla air field. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla_Walla_Regional_Airport Truck Shop

  260. #260DMiller2017-10-13 21:10

    The old Allisons built on the Merlin pattern were not bad engines, weren't they the preferred for the 51? The old multi-stack radials as in the F4U Corsairs were some mean machinery! My pop was a WWII Navair Radioman/top turret man in PB4Y's was a aircraft mechanic after the war where I learned a LOT about aircraft and those engines a LOONNG time ago. Dad's first work company was Slick Airlines. Most do not realize the old plywood PT boats were Allison equipped. Avgas, 110 octane WOOHOO!!

  261. #261BSAA65LB2017-10-14 07:51

    The Allison was a separate design from the Merlin. Allison had a heavier bottom end and a bit more robust valve train than the Merlin. But, the Merlin had a much better supercharger and supercharger drive. The original P-51 had the Alllison. Switching to the Merlin turned the P-51 into the long range high altitude plane that was used so successfully in Europe. They both sound amazing! The PT boat engine was actually an older Packard aircraft engine. It was basically obsolete for aircraft use, but was a perfectly serviceable boat engine......X 3! The sound they must have made!

  262. #262DMiller2017-10-14 11:10

    Oh yeah, forgot about Packard, was one of the last wooden PT Boats on display YEARS ago in San Diego it had the Packard's in it.

  263. #263old-iron-habit2017-10-15 20:59

    Does anyone know if the PT boat that used to set at the boat museum a couple miles south of Rio Vista, CA. is still there on the east side of the river. When I left the area 30 some years ago they were restoring the boat. If I remember right it did run then.

  264. #264Truck Shop2017-10-30 22:01

    Had a few hours waiting for the next truck so I decided to take a drive. And found these two engines, a two cylinder Le Roi and a Gray Marine. Truck Shop

  265. #265crane operator2017-10-30 22:05

    I don't know what grey marine is, but the first two letters are G and M, and that sure looks like a 6-71....... but I'm pretty young. The old trucks kind of got somehow to airplanes and PT boats, so I'll just bring it back. This is in Dmiller and my territory. https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/359-pete/6339874723.html $22,500 1978 359 peterbilt with a factory kt19 Cummins the truck has 11r24.5 tires all the way around 400,000 original mi. Rto12515 transmission call with more questions

  266. #266Truck Shop2017-10-30 22:42

    That KTA is one expensive engine to rebuild And heavy. That steer axle is at 11,000 plus lbs with that setting between the rails. A separate cylinder head for each cylinder. The KTA's would put out power but hold on to your wallet on repairs. 45,000 to do a complete rebuild. Price is slightly high even with the KTA. Plus that transmission is under rated for that engine. Thanks for posting. Gray Marine went out in 1967. And yes that is a two stroke with a two valve head. Truck Shop

  267. #267crane operator2017-10-30 22:50

    \ I've heard they're expensive, but what's all the cost in? Rebuild each head? Pistons/ liners/ bearings are all getting obsolete, so big $ from mother cummings? Probably no aftermarket available either.

  268. #268Junkyard2017-10-30 23:23

    I used to drive for a guy when he was short handed. W900A with a KTA, 6+4, double frame, 65 rears etc. BADASS truck. It was always plant moves or short hops across Tulsa. I don't know what kind of HP it made but it damn sure wasn't stock. There's a hill on the high route west side of town, really hard pull. Short but hard. It's claimed many a driveline and numerous big loads have spun out climbing it. I've climbed it well over 200k and at any time I could slip the drives if I got a little heavy with my right foot. It had fuses in the driveline which I never managed to test . If you gouged on it, it was like an eclipse! Last I heard a full OH on one was pushing $60,000. That's nuts!

  269. #269RZucker2017-10-30 23:45

    Good chance that's even the old "low block" with a one piece head gasket. I do remember the 2 valve heads with external fuel lines in the rear of old TS-24 scrapers.

  270. #270mitch5042017-10-31 01:11

    Grey Marine is a marinized detroit.

  271. #271DMiller2017-10-31 07:17

    And that old Driptroit Grey has a coveted 6L71 alloy blower on it that the old street rodders would just die for. Machine the hanging lip off, reset the lobe clearances OPEN more and attach to a Edelbrock blower manifold with twin double pumper Holleys and any old GM small block on a long duration cam would turn on like it was fed dynamite, some did grenade but sounded awesome with that set up!

  272. #272DMiller2017-10-31 07:20

    Pitts Dozing is just up the highway from me, about 14 miles. Would be a snag to get that but 60K for a overhaul OWIE!! He has a lot of newer machines, most cat powered now, newest truck is Detroit equipped.

  273. #273Truck Shop2017-10-31 07:33

    Not to be an *** but if you look at the photo of the valve cover it says Gray. And those engines used a 6-71 block if I remember right. The upper end of a KTA/K19 is where a ton of money goes on a rebuild. I noticed they called it a K19-no K19's were factory installed as far as I no. There was a K19 on CL Spokane that they were asking 40K for with low hours on it a ways back. Truck Shop

  274. #274DMiller2017-10-31 08:01

    Chances are in a 1978 Pete is a KTA1150 not a 19, Is correct is 19L by Cu In conversion but still that old is a KTA. And yes Gray was its own entity but used the 6L71 base engine as their premier boats engine. I imagine Detroit supplied the basic engine Gray supplied the attachments.

  275. #275Truck Shop2017-10-31 20:23

    A large Le Roi engine Truck Shop

  276. #276Truck Shop2017-10-31 20:40

    This Pete is a 1954 I knew the owner, he owned it from 54 till 1997 when he passed on. I took the photo of it with the load of hay. Then found this photo of it on line with the KW some months back. It had a 262 Cummins with 4x4 boxes. He hauled timothy hay from Ellensburg Wa to Santa Anita race track back in the early 60's, truck-trailer Truck Shop

  277. #277DMiller2017-10-31 20:45

    Old bubble noses are so cool looking, just NOT to work on.

  278. #278old-iron-habit2017-10-31 20:56

    2 Saturdays ago a KT Cummins in an International lowboy tractor sold for $2,700.00 at a local estate auction. The owner used to haul my D8 for me just so he could play. 8 years ago he turned down $8,000 for it. The new owner drove it out sounding good.

  279. #279Junkyard2017-10-31 20:59

    And you didn't buy it? Dude?!?! I'd have let you double your $$$!

  280. #280crane operator2017-10-31 21:22

    But someone would have seen you driving a lowly international.......................

  281. #281RZucker2017-10-31 21:23

    Any info on this one? Looks to be a genset engine. V-12 with both intake and exhaust manifolds in the center, Le Roi had a V-8 that was used in the 10 military trucks in the 50's that was similar. I never saw one but had a manual for the 10 ton trucks because I used to work on a lot of them the local farmers had, but they all had that miserable 765 Cummins V-8 that I doubt saw much civilian use.

  282. #282Junkyard2017-10-31 21:30

    A lowly corn binder got me into trucking. I bought a wrecked one and after a little work I was truckin! It's still workin up in MN on the farm as far as I know. It was a gutless turd. But I didn't have a payment back then.

  283. #283Truck Shop2017-10-31 22:38

    I saw one like that engine at a old iron show in Puyallup in the late 80's. I don't remember much about it except it was an old genset from a hospital with hardly any hours on it. Truck Shop

  284. #284DMiller2017-11-01 06:53

    Few will remember Buda, Waukesha, Hercules, Black Diamond even White Mustang Engines. Still a ton of small flat head Continentals out there but the large engines they made are all but gone to museums.

  285. #285mitch5042017-11-01 08:40

    Gray Marine used more than just 6-71s. They produced a lot of 4 cylinders, both 53s and 71s, and I think more. I have seen more 4s than 6s, but I don't remember what all I've heard of, I think some V8s. The military used a lot of the 4s.

  286. #286mitch5042017-11-01 08:46

    Buda became Allis-Chalmers, then Fiat Allis if I remember right. I know somebody bought them and just changed the name. I had a customer that had a bunch of Buda stationaries, and Allis Chalmers equipment. I've seen a few Waukeshas, military surplus I think. The others are new to me.

  287. #287crane operator2017-11-01 12:16

    I removed a waukesha from the basement of a hospital in Des Moines. It was a big 12 or 16 cylinder v motor, natural gas if I remember right. It was a generator/stationary, I think the engine/ generator bare was over 30,000lbs. It was loaded on a truck and headed to south america- probably powering something in the middle of the jungle.

  288. #288DMiller2017-11-01 17:19

    What I found curious, in the little time I was working in San Leandro CA a fellow in our shop had a 1944 White Halftrack but had a Buda Diesel conversion in it. Never got it running as parts in the late 70's were non-existent.

  289. #289Junkyard2017-11-01 19:24

    I've got some great bookends that were Waukesha-Pierce natural gas pistons. From a 16 cylinder on a compressor. About 5-1/2" in diameter. I used the wrist pins to take slack out of tracks when hauling machines on my beam. They're about 2" in diameter and a good 1" wall thickness. I'll have to snap some pics when I get back home.

  290. #290Truck Shop2017-11-01 19:42

    I toured the Waukesha plant in 1982 what a place. Oliver tractors were a common spot to find Waukesha engines gas or diesel. Kenworth used Waukesha, Le Roi, Hall Scott, Buda and Hercules as did many other companies from the fifties down. i think it was where the best buy could be found in some cases and size of engines available. Truck Shop

  291. #291Truck Shop2017-11-04 18:21

    Here's a dandy-1948 LJ Mack. With a Sterling and possibly a RD 405 IH and some B models https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/cto/d/1948-lj-mack-truck/6366250851.html Truck Shop

  292. #292RZucker2017-11-04 23:56

    If it was closer I'd jump on it. Put some new rubber on it, fix the hood and just drive it. Maybe do split manifolds with a set of 3-71 manifolds and dual stacks...

  293. #293Truck Shop2017-11-05 16:51

    Now RZ if your planning on owning an LJ your also going to need a LB B-75 to go with it like this wonderful example Truck Shop

  294. #294DMiller2017-11-06 06:46

    Now THAT is purdy!! Could handle going in hock for one like that!

  295. #295Truck Shop2017-11-06 20:36

    Thought I would post some typical shop work. This Series 60 14L came out of a wreck It saw some RPM and slightly bent all the valves. The head is good so I will replace all the valves have it magged and decked if it needs it. I checked the liner protrusion it's on the low side so I will pull pistons and liners and cut the counter bores for shims. And install new rods and pistons and liners along with bearings. Change the air compressor and reseal the rear structure. Plus replace injector harness. Truck Shop

  296. #296RZucker2017-11-07 22:35

    If I had one like this I would drive it to the coffee shop every Saturday morning to hang out with the retired guys that could appreciate it.

  297. #297Junkyard2017-11-07 22:37

    Ummmm there are those of us far from retirement that would appreciate it! Only problem is all the retired guys will have eaten and be long gone by the time we show up for breakfast!

  298. #298DMiller2017-11-08 05:37

    Just need get up Earlier!! I was up at 3:30 this morning and NOT by choice!! @@ eyes opened when the pain resumed as the last dose of meds said we give up! Still get a little more done in a day than many that don't ache seemingly everywhere! Neighbor stated "He gets more done on a bad day than I can do on a good one"

  299. #299Truck Shop2017-11-09 23:02

    Quiz-where did the term Hammer Lane originate from? Truck Shop

  300. #300Birken Vogt2017-11-10 00:36

    Well everyone knows it came from Stockton, Ca.

  301. #301DMiller2017-11-10 07:00

    If you ever drove a Detroit you would understand what Truck Shop just asked!!!! Just drop the 'Hammer'!

  302. #302Truck Shop2017-11-10 07:29

    Well not everyone-good job Birken Vogt! I expected you would have the answer. Truck Shop

  303. #303Birken Vogt2017-11-10 10:12

    I didn't know if that was what you were looking for. I was just being a smarty pants. I never travel but I happened to drive past it yesterday, I have been waiting years for an opportunity to use it and you gave the perfect setup, amazing. I did used to drive a Detroit 2 cycle, but it was a DDEC 2 so it behaved a lot like any other engine what with the torque they programmed into it. It would pull down to 1400 and it was happier there. I always figured it was called the "hammer lane" because the accelerator bears some vague resemblance to a hammer and if you wanted to go faster you would "drop the hammer" and then you would be passing traffic so you had to drive in the "hammer lane". Maybe there is more to it than that? Like putting a hammer head on the pedal to hold it against the governor as fast as it would go? On the old trucks I drove that was usually set by gearing and engine governor to 56 mph so it would have been a relatively safe thing to do.

  304. #304Truck Shop2017-11-10 18:00

    That's actually quite funny to me. Truck Shop

  305. #305Truck Shop2017-11-10 18:22

    Brooks Oregon Truck Show video. Some nice old rides. .

  306. #306DMiller2017-11-10 19:19

    My Kinda lineup!

  307. #307old-iron-habit2017-11-10 20:56

    Generation Gap? Talked by phone to a friend in Iowa today. He recently sold his immaculate 14A D8 Cat to make room in his shop for a old Peterbuilt he had told me he was picking up. I am going to restore it to a show truck he explained to me. I asked, "What year is it" He replied 2003. I laughed. He said "well that pretty old to me"!

  308. #308RZucker2017-11-10 21:08

    My old GMC 9500 with the 8V71 would run 64 MPH with the pedal "pinching the carpet".

  309. #309Birken Vogt2017-11-10 21:15

    Also don't forget having to keep the headlights on low beam because they would start to slow down when a hill came into view.

  310. #310Truck Shop2017-11-10 23:13

    That was a great line of reply's. The two hottest rides I ever drove was a 12V71 with twin turbos. The hottest was a N14 mechanical with ceramic pistons and a whole lot of other fine parts. Stock out of the box for a hot runner C16 Cat massive torque. Truck Shop

  311. #311Birken Vogt2017-11-10 23:22

    The hottest ride I ever drove was a 70-something smaller GMC with a 427 gasser for an engine. You had to switch your left boot onto the accelerator from time to time so you could pick your right one up and feel the sole to make sure it was not melting. You were not sure whether the burning in the sole of your foot was from the heat coming up from the floorboard or just lack of circulation from pressing down on the pedal so hard for so long.

  312. #312DMiller2017-11-11 06:19

    Fastest wagon I rolled in was a 1979 Pete 359 set on a reported long legs 3.43 rears, a double overdrive Eaton 5x4 air marriage box and 24 inch rubber. Had a OEM 425 hp V8 Kittypilar that was set just a tad on the HOT side that would set you back in the seat like a 427 chevy in a Vette. That was in 1980, the owner let me ride out to my old K100C when my partner went down with pneumonia. Was hard to sleep due to nerves as he kept bumping 80mph LOADED. Was not much in the hills as to delivered torque and he had to keep an eye to the Pyrometer to keep it from cooking down but man it could almost fly!! He received too many tickets, truck went away in '81.

  313. #313Truck Shop2017-11-11 20:20

    A light day today for service work so I pulled the front structure apart and checked the gear train. Everything was in fine shape but when it's this far apart you always want to check the bull gear and bearing-end play on a Series 60. Cleaned and resealed. Truck Shop

  314. #314old-iron-habit2017-11-11 23:20

    Our then dang near new 1969 9500 series GMC with a 6-71 and ten speed Road Ranger would top out at 57 MPH. Pulled a pole trailer grossing 100 to 105,000 in the winter. Probably lucky it would go no faster with them wedge brakes. Always felt fortunate that we had good trailer brakes.

  315. #315DMiller2017-11-12 16:04

    Wedge brakes, Bendix should have to recall ALL of them, nasty bastards.

  316. #316crane operator2017-11-12 18:11

    Don't do that, its all I've got to get around on. Three of my old groves are still on wedge. They are a pain to adjust. Suprisingly, all the new big All Terrain cranes- think 150-200 & 300 ton cranes, run with wedge brakes. Some things just don't go away.

  317. #317DMiller2017-11-12 19:13

    AAACK!!

  318. #318DMiller2017-11-12 19:19

    As far as the DD60, looking good and better all the time TS!

  319. #319Tenwheeler2017-11-12 19:20

    Two chamber wedge brakes have two leading shoes and therefore a mechanical advantage when working properly.

  320. #320old-iron-habit2017-11-12 19:20

    They always said that properly adjusted wedge brakes would put more pressure on the drums but they sure did not move the shoes very much. That's how I learned to drive, drive like you had no brakes because you often did not. Still drive that way to a big extent.

  321. #321DMiller2017-11-13 03:12

    Then one has to figure against area 15" as opposed to 16" and the ability to transfer pressure from a series 24 or 20 diaphragm as opposed to a 30 along with leverage of pushing the wedge or rotating a S-cam. Lots of variables where the big one on cranes is the space to install and interference items as outriggers, added structural members/bodyworks or the severe styles of suspension where wedge works better. Fully understand the viability just do not care for the complexity nor the tender aspects of the system. Dealt with them all too often on highway equipment where the maintenance was less than adequate and the customer being too cheap to repair fully or correctly to keep them working properly.

  322. #322Truck Shop2017-11-13 19:43

    Wedge Brakes? I didn't read that did I? On to better things, here are two fine examples of when trucks were trucks. Truck Shop

  323. #323Junkyard2017-11-14 00:09

    Early in my heavy haul career I helped do a COMPLETE brake job on a dual lane trailer. All 16 tire groups, if memory serves there were 7 groups. ALL wedge brakes. Man it sucked. Add the Oklahoma heat and what seemed like a million tires to change as well. If I never see another wedge brake I will die a happy man!

  324. #324old-iron-habit2017-11-14 10:30

    Guess it is true that we remember the tough days a lot longer than the good days.

  325. #325DMiller2017-11-14 11:42

    We had 'Good Ol Days'?? I thought they were all Good days so long as went home in one piece!! Man Oh Man Truck Shop, you manage to quicken my heart with those lovely Good Days machines.

  326. #326Truck Shop2017-11-14 19:18

    Some more KW's and a Star for good measure. Trucks Shop

  327. #327crane operator2017-11-14 19:36

    I like that big white kenworth with the single front head lights, and the cheater. Looks like a working truck, could see it rolling black past those flapper tips on the exhaust. Also like the tan and red two tone with dual headlights, except for the big visor. I'm too tall and can't see past those big drop visors. For some reason, the all black doesn't do it for me. I've had to clean too many and they show every speck of dirt and dust. The thing I like the most about most of those trucks is the front bumpers. I don't like those big drop front bumpers riding a inch off the ground. To me they scream show truck, not working truck. That big white kenworth you could take down through the ditch trying to make a corner on a gravel road somewhere, and come out without tearing something up.

  328. #328Junkyard2017-11-14 21:02

    Those big Texas bumpers also block a lot of airflow underneath. For heavy haul etc I want all the air I can under, around, over and between. Of course, if you have one of those triple digit trucks all that air underneath might make the nose a little light when you've just grabbed the big hole (in the hammer lane of course) and you're letting her eat!! My brother always called it the "showoff lane".

  329. #329Truck Shop2017-11-14 21:40

    The worst thing about low riders or that silly term [slammed] is working on one. You better not be a fat biscuits and gravy boy. To work on any of the new trucks today you better be slim {like if you turn sideways and stick out your tongue you would look like a zipper] . And those hammer lanes only existed in California in the early years. Truck Shop

  330. #330Truck Shop2017-11-14 21:50

    Here's fine example of too low and a dumb bumper plus asinine rear fenders. Those would look great all wadded up from two sets of singles pulling Cabbage grade in winter time. Other than that it's good looking truck . Truck Shop

  331. #331Birken Vogt2017-11-14 21:50

    Sometimes someone will say we are on a bad road. No road is bad to me so long as I am not getting stuck right in the middle of it. Same thing with a good truck and a bad truck. A good truck gets from point A to B without breaking down or wasting money. A bad truck might be faster but broke more often. Manufacturers seem to have lost sight of that lately.

  332. #332Junkyard2017-11-14 21:52

    It's a sharp Petercar but yeah there ain't no throwin iron on that rig. Come travel the turnpike in Oklahoma...I'll show ya the hammer lane! Haha. The ole Pete haul truck will stroll pretty good.

  333. #333Truck Shop2017-11-14 21:58

    The true Hammer lanes are in the area of Miles City, Montana. . Truck Shop

  334. #334Junkyard2017-11-14 22:20

    Haha. Yeah. I very good neighbor of mine, passed away a few years ago, was a drilling superintendent living in Williston, ND in the 60's and 70's. Back then he said if he got pulled over in MT the fine was $5 on the spot. He carried a pile of $5 bills. He'd run from well to well in a Chevy Impala (I think) WFO and on occasion his speed was deemed unreasonable and NOT prudent! Haha.

  335. #335Truck Shop2017-11-14 22:48

    Here is a classic diesel car-Autocar between it and the T's and LT's those were the true classics. Truck Shop

  336. #336RZucker2017-11-14 23:14

    Way too many lights for me, had a customer buy a rig lit up like that... told him his PM fee just doubled. The wiring looked like it was done by rodents and I wasn't going to spend my time fixing stuff the DOT didn't require. Needless to say a bunch of junk got stripped off.

  337. #337Birken Vogt2017-11-14 23:59

    Funny thing is there have been a lot of independents around here that are running log trucks that look like the show trucks above. I can't imagine beating one of those in and out of the woods 3 times a day on a dusty and/or muddy road with rocks and potholes and brush. Funny thing is they always seem to look good. Maybe they carry around a tank like a mixer truck so they can wash it when they hit pavement.

  338. #338DMiller2017-11-15 07:11

    The long term O/O guys I dealt with over the years kept their machines simple, nothing to draw DOT Attention, no massive stacks or HD lighting additions. Just a basic looking 'Sleeper' in more than one way.

  339. #339Truck Shop2017-11-15 07:44

    I'm not a fan of mass light's either. If the wiring and connectors are not top quality the de-icer fluid used on the highways in winter will eat it up. Plus cost of LED's and labor when you have other more important things to repair. And it gives the DOT that many more things to pick on. Truck Shop

  340. #340Truck Shop2017-11-15 07:50

    Speaking of fun ones to do engine repairs on! Truck Shop

  341. #341DMiller2017-11-15 18:55

    I actually worked on one of those, Non-sleeper, 6L71 single axle with a rubber band tag.

  342. #342RZucker2017-11-15 19:44
  343. #343RZucker2017-11-15 19:57

    Drove one of those old critters about 35 years ago, had the 5 window extended cab and some huge old 6 cylinder gas burner with a 5 speed with an air 2 speed rear end. It was ugly, rusty and I only had to drive it about 20 miles.

  344. #344Truck Shop2017-11-16 07:49

    Big hood and not much under there. Truck Shop

  345. #345DMiller2017-11-16 09:36

    Sweet!! Local Fire Department when growing up had two of these, both gas engine, one open top one closed cab. Wide Open Exhaust would rattle windows when left the fire hall!!

  346. #346RZucker2017-11-16 21:08

    There's a guy in Royal City Wa. that has one of these old GMC's with a 350 HP Mack stuffed under the hood. He said the Mack engine isn't much larger than the original 6-71. It sure sounds good with a set of 6" pipes.

  347. #347Truck Shop2017-11-16 22:16

    Not many of these Federals around. Only seen one like the orange one in my life time. Truck Shop

  348. #348RZucker2017-11-16 22:36

    I've seen a few 1.5-2 ton Federals, but never a big one. Those are nice examples.

  349. #349Truck Shop2017-11-17 19:15

    Where is td25c ? Some rogue FWD's drove on to the page! Truck Shop

  350. #350mowingman2017-11-17 19:23

    That was the same cab used on the big Dodge trucks, as well as the 1958 - 1960 Dodge Power Giant pickups and 1 ton cab/chassis trucks. Not a lot of room in that cab.

  351. #351RZucker2017-11-17 21:31

    That's quite the understatement... Cramped is my term. Got a customer that has an old Dodge 800 gasser fuel truck with a 413 that we tune and PM once a year or so. They are a cool looking truck though. I have worked on a few others over the years and one that really stands out was a 900 series that had been repowered with a Chevy 409 truck/industrial engine, who in their right mind... In the mid 80's a local truck salvage yard had three 900 series tandem drives that were Air Force surplus, they had huge gas engines and 10 speed transmissions. Super nice clean trucks with low miles, I'm not sure where they went. On another note... Didn't Dodge borrow the IH 549 V8 engine for some of their big boys, IIRC reading that somewhere.

  352. #352mowingman2017-11-17 22:35

    I thought the 413 was as big as it got in gas engines for the big Dodge trucks. However, in that era, almost anything was possible from Dodge.

  353. #353Truck Shop2017-11-18 07:47

    The only engines I can find listed were 413's and 464, 672 or 743 cu. in Cummins for Dodge. Truck Shop

  354. #354Truck Shop2017-11-18 07:56

    Some Dodge products from the 60's and 70's. Truck Shop

  355. #355mowingman2017-11-18 09:47

    Here is an interesting website dedicated to the heavy duty Dodge trucks. http://www.olddodges.com/bighorn.htm

  356. #356crane operator2017-11-18 10:26

    There used to be one of those big dodge's sitting at a quarry around here. I don't know if they still have it or not, they sold most of the old stuff out of there a couple years ago.

  357. #357RZucker2017-11-18 11:42

    I did find a website for '61 to '71 Dodge trucks that does list the IH 478 and IH 534? as engine options for the 1000 series trucks. I think somebody has the 534 Ford confused with the IH 549. I don't recall a 534 IH V-8.

  358. #358old-iron-habit2017-11-18 15:15
  359. #359Truck Shop2017-11-18 15:58

    I could see Dodge using IH engines bbbuuuuutttttttttttttt definitely not Ford and vise-verse. Truck Shop

  360. #360Birken Vogt2017-11-18 16:08

    Probably true about the gas engines but with the 8.2 Detroit it was always disconcerting to open the hood of a Ford and see one of these on the valve cover.

  361. #361Truck Shop2017-11-18 16:11

    Her are two photos and hard to find photos at that, of J Series 1939 to 1942 Sterlings. A very rare truck and another one I have only seen one of and that was in 1985 in Red Bluff, Calif setting near the local airport. Setting next to that J model was a beat-up RD 405 IH . Has anyone else seen one of these critters. You will not forget that ornate grille. Truck Shop

  362. #362Truck Shop2017-11-18 19:24

    Ford like so many other auto/truck manufactures had to rely on other companies for diesel power plants. But the same holds true for big truck manufactures-KW, Pete, and Freightliner. only recently did PacCar start to build their own power plant and Freightliner Daimler with Detroit. International, Mack and Volvo were the main few with there own engines. That big blue GM you posted sure is ugly though . Truck Shop

  363. #363Truck Shop2017-11-18 19:35

    Being as we are in the discussion of GMC, Ford and Dodge. The short one {#92} RZ drives on the weekends. Truck Shop

  364. #364Truck Shop2017-11-18 19:39

    And two Ford conventional LTL's followed by a two story Ford. Truck Shop

  365. #365Truck Shop2017-11-18 19:56

    And you just have to have a few Corn Queens in the mix. Truck Shop

  366. #366Truck Shop2017-11-18 20:08

    And might as well put up some old cab overs including a GMC {cracker box}. Truck Shop

  367. #367Truck Shop2017-11-18 20:11
  368. #368RZucker2017-11-18 20:35

    That would be fun to drive. but my old 9500 was a shorthood.

  369. #369Birken Vogt2017-11-18 21:30

    Who can tell more about that truck? Is the Cat·Diesel·Power badge factory? What year and what kind of Cat engine?

  370. #370RZucker2017-11-18 21:55

    I would imagine that would be a 1673 or one of Cats other useless early truck engines. I highly doubt a 1693 would fit in one of those rigs. Or it has a later 3406 in it as a refit. When I was 15 I drove a Ford like that with a 20' spud box during summer vacation, it wasn't pretty and the second day on the job my "co-driver" was a big black tomcat to kill the mice in the sleeper. That truck had a 250 Cummins and a 4X4 spicer with an air shift brownie. Normal load out of the field was about 52K gross and it did pretty well for short hops on private farm roads. (The cat got fat too).

  371. #371RZucker2017-11-18 23:34

    I had a Ford Louisville service truck with an 8.2 and the GM sticker was the best part of the truck.

  372. #372Birken Vogt2017-11-18 23:52

    I never thought I would hear somebody use the word "best" and "8.2" in the same sentence. I hated those things. I am surprised to hear they put one in an L-series, it would seem that was too much truck for the wimpy engine.

  373. #373RZucker2017-11-19 21:43

    They really weren't much of an engine for anything but service trucks. I owned 3 over the years that did treat me well but never saw much over 22K gross. But I have also seen disasters where people bought several new ones in 40K tandem drive trucks and found out they weren't up to that job. Replaced a few with 3208 Cats that lived longer lives. I once replaced one with a 6V-53 the customer had laying around. I'm not sure that was an improvement... it was one noisy little beast, but it stayed together and even had real Jakes to add to the noise.

  374. #374DMiller2017-11-20 10:03

    Will forever remember; "International, too slow for the road too fast for the field; if it don't run paint it red if still won't run Chrome it!!" Lovely pictures even as some are the UGLIEST old monsters they are still fond memories.

  375. #375Truck Shop2017-11-20 22:27

    That old Green GMC with the load of last years hay-[Now That's a Real Honey] Looks like a hay truck only an Ellensburger would drive-privet joke. Truck Shop

  376. #37692U 34062017-11-21 00:08

    I say this all the time but man I should have been born about 20-30 years earlier. I love this old iron and wish I got to catch more than just the tail end of it in regular use. This old stuff had personality in a way. Now you can pass a Volvo, Shaker, Pete or KW on the highway and it just looks the same as everything else out there.

  377. #377Truck Shop2017-11-21 20:28

    A few nice 281's and the Pete from the Spielberg movie Duel. Truck Shop

  378. #378Labparamour2017-11-21 20:55

    Truck Shop, I love the photos! Are some from last year's national meet in Salem? I didn't spend near enough time there. The best part was watching/hearing the trucks drive in. Thanks for sharing! Darryl

  379. #37992U 34062017-11-21 21:53

    I think Diamond Dave had that Duel Pete in one of his music videos from his solo years after Van Halen.

  380. #380Truck Shop2017-11-21 22:54

    Isn't this just a dandy little pick up? Truck Shop

  381. #381Truck Shop2017-11-22 20:31

    Time for some Tea Truck Shop

  382. #382Truck Shop2017-11-22 20:42

    I have a weakness for old T's and A-Cars. Truck Shop

  383. #38392U 34062017-11-22 21:15

    Can't recall ever seing a Diamond T or Autocar in real life. Must not have been that popular out this way.

  384. #384Truck Shop2017-11-22 21:54

    Diamond T and REO merged in 1967 and quit producing trucks in the mid to late 70's. Autocar is the oldest vehicle manufacture, since 1896. They still make garbage trucks and yard goats. T's and A-Cars were not as popular as the big three but there were quite a few on the west coast years ago. The Autocar was fairly big in the logging industry and construction. T's were more popular back then as OTR's. Truck Shop[/QUOTE]

  385. #385DMiller2017-11-23 08:32

    I loved the old Diamonds in the Rough. First wrecker I drove was a 1957 Diamond T six cyl. Black Diamond gas, 4x3 WITH a two speed differential!! Had two buds that had Diamond Reo long hood conventionals, one with a 1693 Cat the other a 335 Cummins. Cat had a 4x4 double over drive two stick, the Cummins had a Air stick 5x4, both were set WAY up and both eventually had bad contract drivers smoke the engines powering in too long cooking pistons. Almost every concrete company around here along with dump truck services used A-cars for forever, long lasting beat them like Red Headed step children wagons.

  386. #386Truck Shop2017-11-23 18:04

    White was a truck that wasn't that common on the west coast. Mainly dry freight companies used them, sometimes construction companies. Truck Shop

  387. #387DMiller2017-11-23 19:04

    The Infamous White Mustang!!

  388. #388mitch5042017-11-23 19:17

    That White 4000 was very common around here as a tandem, and the "construcktor" (steel hood) was popular too, especially with loggers. They were regarded a a cheap but capable truck. And, of course, Freightliner was the White Freightliner. White motor company built a bunch of other stuff like military vehicles and farm tractors. When Volvo decided to get into the US truck market, they bought White and GMC heavy's and made "WhiteGMC by VolvoGM heavy truck corp". To start with they were just rebadged Whites, and the White cab became the Volvo cab that was used for a long time afterward.

  389. #389crane operator2017-11-23 19:24

    Don't see very many of these by us- the "supposed" rolls royce of trucks, a marmon ( I think I read the rolls royce thing in a article somewhere). I think I've seen this one and one cabover. The junkyard by me had a conventional and it got bought whole by a collector. This one is currently listed on purplewave- a online auction house. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/171130/item/DF9808

  390. #390Truck Shop2017-11-23 19:25

    These days driving around in a truck with these hood emblems could get you in trouble. Truck Shop

  391. #391Truck Shop2017-11-23 19:54
  392. #392Truck Shop2017-11-23 19:56

    Talking about blown engines on another thread-some runaways. Truck Shop

  393. #393DMiller2017-11-23 20:46

    Most often a self correcting condition, but with a lot of loose stuff!! I delivered fuel in the late 70's as a side job three days a week, drove a round fender A-car with White Velvet ride tandems and a beater 335 Cummins, one customer had above grade tanks we had to be careful with where one time a fella was cold, stepped inside to warm up while the on truck pump was filling one of those tanks. Well the engine surged then rolled back only to surge again. Seems he did not calculate the room they had left very well and no eyes on a stuck level indicator(float and cable)then the tank overflowed, onto the ground beside the truck where when the engine surged and shot a mass in it burped the engine would catch fumes and roll up then die back as the wind pushed them down only to burp the tank yet again. Lost almost 500 gallons and had to use the compression release to kill the engine. Got three pushrods doing that, the engine was never quite right after.

  394. #394DB22017-11-23 20:51

    Some pretty brave cowboys going near those engines when they're running flat out. And that poor Detroit in the old scraper.

  395. #395Birken Vogt2017-11-24 10:30

    I knew some firemen from around here that had to take a white painted fire truck with those emblems on the hood to LA in the Rodney King riots. They somehow made it back and the truck was not burned down. I am sure it is in the scrap heap now. I actually remember there were quite a few White trucks such as post 387 pic #2 and newer in logging related occupations back in the 1980s around here when you could still get permission to hurt a tree.

  396. #396crane operator2017-11-29 20:43

    Its really not a old truck, or even a classic truck, but I spotted this special at the junkyard today and thought I'd snap a picture or two. It was made by someone really, really short. The roof isn't much taller than the seat backs, and I think you would have to take a run and dive to get into the sleeper. I have no idea where they came up with the windshield glass. I think it was probably a car hauler special (or maybe boat hauler) with a roof rack. But that's only my guess, I don't know any other reason to be that short.

  397. #397mowingman2017-11-29 20:52

    It was rigged out as a car hauler. "Jack Cooper Transport", (on the door) is a large company that hauls new cars all over the country.

  398. #398Truck Shop2017-11-29 22:04

    And the only thing that could be good about a truck like that is it was done to a Velveeta/ Volvo. Truck Shop

  399. #399RZucker2017-11-29 23:25

    A music video of "Low That would be a perfect truck around here, most guys sit on the floor and look out under the top rim of the steering wheel anyways. I guess the huge Visors they run forces them to drive like that. Myself... I like to sit up and see over the hood.

  400. #400crane operator2017-11-29 23:30

    I've seen a couple drivers around here like that, you can only see the top brim of their hat above the drivers door in the window. I also don't know how they see to drive.

  401. #401Birken Vogt2017-11-29 23:37

    For local driving I like the seat all the way up with just enough air let out that if I hit a big bump it goes down once, saving my back. Otherwise I like it pretty much fixed at the top. To help see in front when maneuvering. This only works in some trucks because I am pretty tall, some trucks this will cause me to bash my head on the ceiling. For long distances when not manuvering I like to have my seat in the middle of its travel and I also like to turn on the fore/aft spring slider thingy so I can hardly feel any bumps at all.

  402. #402RZucker2017-11-30 00:59

    I think those guys don't want their mom to know they are truck drivers. For years I tried to tell my mother I was playing piano in a cathouse. Then she saw a truck with my name on the door... If it hadn't been in my driveway I may have been able to fool her. .

  403. #403mitch5042017-11-30 05:53

    The big thing around here is to sit on the floor and have the gearshift knob up by the ceiling

  404. #404DMiller2017-11-30 06:51

    Was going to note the name said it all. In the 80's the lease company I worked for had steel companies with half cabs, car and boat haulers with Low Riders like this one, even had a couple specialized transports with low cabs and extreme length frames for hauling Rebar, on one there were four sections drive line, three support bearings to the front drive axle, rebar sat in bunks like logs with the trailer a short 38' with its own bunks so the rods could ride wide.

  405. #405Truck Shop2017-11-30 07:34
  406. #406Birken Vogt2017-11-30 10:01

    Why does he yank it out and in every time he splits the same gear?

  407. #407crane operator2017-11-30 12:05

    The idea between pulling it in and out of gear on the split, is that then you don't make the split with the trans under torque. I don't shift that way, I just snap the button and blip the throttle and go, but I've known guys that shift like that.

  408. #408Birken Vogt2017-11-30 12:12

    I could see that, now that you mention it. But the instruction manual doesn't say anything like that. I think that might only work with a low inertia transmission. With the old 13 speed I think pulling it out and splitting at the same time like that might result in being lost with both the main section and splitter sections out of sync and no way to get it back because a mid section is connected to neither the wheels nor the engine.

  409. #409mitch5042017-11-30 16:34

    Yep, definitely doesn't work with an old 9513

  410. #410RZucker2017-11-30 22:42

    I really miss the point of the 4 foot shift lever. Maybe the guy just doesn't know how to cut down the Fuller universal replacement stick? I like to have the Knob next to my right knee.

  411. #411crane operator2017-11-30 23:07

    I get a magazine called landline, its a trucking magazine they send out because I've got a common carrier. Anyways they always have a article with pictures of someones "show" truck. This month (nov 2017) the truck is a big pete, and the sticks are maybe 5" below the ceiling. Notice I said sticks- according to the article its a 18 speed eaton, with a custom built two stick. Somehow they've got the second stick hooked to a air switch for the splitter (guessing from the pictures). And the articles are usually right because its advertising and written by a truck shop that built it. So instead of a little lever by my leg, I want to throw a 5' one, and instead of a little button, now I need a second stick? Also 5' long? Of course its got the big visor, bumper 1" off the ground and the spikes sticking out on the chrome lug nut covers. And exhaust stacks that must be 8" around. I'm glad we live in a free country, but some people should be saved from themselves....

  412. #412RZucker2017-11-30 23:38

    I think the little boy with the "show truck" should drive a real 5X4 setup for a while. Bet that second stick would go away fast.

  413. #413Birken Vogt2017-12-01 00:31

    Many times I have been whacked in the side of my right knee by that shifter. It is amazing how far side to side it can travel on a washboard road. If you tried to pull it that far with your hand it feels like it would break. But up by the ceiling it would probably hit me in the head instead, and that would be worse.

  414. #414hvy 1ton2017-12-01 00:32

    There is a really silly video on youtube somewhere they guy has an 18 speed and the high/low and spilter each have a stick and he takes it out of gear every time he splits. I don't know if someone worked up a linkage for that or they are just hooked to an air valve.

  415. #415Truck Shop2017-12-01 07:58

    Most of the engines put out plenty of power that even weights of 115,000 you can just straight stick a 13 or 18. If your climbing a grade you may as well just drop a full gear your going to end up in that gear anyway. 18's are good for true heavy haul but are useless on a OTR. Hell I straight stick a 13 and only split 8th direct. Truck Shop

  416. #416Birken Vogt2017-12-01 10:52

    Because you are not "cool" if you don't shift every gear possible going through the parking lot. Heck, if light or downhill I might skip 3rd or even 5th entirely, but I agree the rev range of modern engines makes all that shifting unnecessary. I wonder what the sales volume of 13/18 speeds is compared to years ago? Seems like 10 speeds are more popular than ever.

  417. #417DMiller2017-12-01 12:03

    I was bad for cross shifting if I did not need the gears, 3-5 and then same in upper gates just drop into OD and leave it there let the engine do the work! Also having had to rebuild the top covers on boxes because some 'Herder' had to have four foot of shift lever above the floor and it would free swing only to destroy the rail gates and the pivot pin slot. We drove trucks, not herded them down the driveway.

  418. #418Junkyard2017-12-01 17:07

    I've driven that way since damn near day one. I know where that hood is . Only time I'll sit up is backing up in tight quarters or when I'm getting the neck back on the trailer. I've got mirrors. Don't need to be sitting way up there. Don't need rookie sticks on the bumper or mirrors on the hood corners either! Haha. It's how I'm comfortable. To each his own. Damn sure don't need those dumba$$ tall shifters or the wannabe twin stick setup up either. I'm so impressed you can move a lever that activates an air valve. Momma must be proud! Let's see em drive a 5+4, tri-plex, quad box or the old 4x4 Spicer. I can drive them quite well even though their heyday was long before I came to be!

  419. #419DMiller2017-12-01 17:13

    I am rusty as a old shovel but I cut my teeth on 4 or 5 & 2 straight trucks the 5x4 two stick, Mack's Duplex and Triplex, the old Air shift 4x4 and the Awesomely easy to drive Fuller 10/13/15's. All manor of odd home built, custom builds to get low HP engines to work as hard as possible.

  420. #420old-iron-habit2017-12-01 17:58

    I'm a sitter up guy in a truck. Until my legs need a different bend. Then I lower the seat a few inches for a while to give them a break.

  421. #421DMiller2017-12-01 18:00

    With all my back wear and tear I have to sit up pretty square myself. Riding the scooter is a little hard on me but I can get off it every hundred or so with minor issue. Old age is not good to us!!

  422. #422Truck Shop2017-12-01 18:53

    As far as truck seats go we don't have any low rider seats in the fleet. Everything is kept standard, we slip seat some trucks so the seat has to fully adjustable for everyone. As far as twin transmission combinations the best or the one I like the best is a 9 & 4. As far as engines go I like ones that run. Truck Shop

  423. #423Junkyard2017-12-01 19:01

    I drove a couple haul trucks helping a friend out that were 10+4. I'd say that's about as simple and solid as you can get, just like the 9+4. Seems like there's a lot less going on it a 10 speed vs an 18 speed. Don't seem to take as much HP to run either but that could be a figment of my imagination.

  424. #424RZucker2017-12-02 23:53
  425. #425Truck Shop2017-12-04 07:12

    Just finished a pen and ink for a HEF member of his W900 took three attempts-my first art work in almost ten years. My vision and steadiness has really changed. But I must keep going so I have started another pen and ink of a 58 Autocar which will be followed by others. To my surprise the pens were still good after setting that long. Truck Shop

  426. #426DMiller2017-12-04 07:16

    I used to draw, a lot, of trucks, jobsites, whatever entered my head. Can't put the pictures to paper anymore no matter how I try. Seems the left eye was the director for the artwork and since fails to function well cannot see enough to put the lines in the right spots.

  427. #427Labparamour2017-12-04 08:44

    Really enjoyed the art you’ve posted. Glad you’re keeping at it. Jealous! I’ll sketch and doodle...usually while on “hold” Darryl

  428. #428crane operator2017-12-07 21:43

    On Craigslist by Kansas City:

  429. #429crane operator2017-12-07 21:44

    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/antuque-1968-peterbilt-neddle/6415441293.html Antuque 1968 Peterbilt Neddle Nose 288 Model Day Cab - $14000 (Savannah,mo) hide this posting image 4 of 5 condition: good make / manufacturer: Peterbilt model name / number: 288 Well started restoration Truck 1968 Peterbilt Needle Nose 288 model day cab. First year of the fold over hood. Has a 330 Cummings 5X4 transmission 66 ton Tulsa oil field Winch. The truck has had a 4 bag air ride system added on rear end and a single air bag system added on the cab, Rides really good. Has add on air conditioning and power steering. Truck starts and runs smooth, sounds good. Pretty long legged on the high side, Tranny shifts pretty good. Not all rusted out. Interior is good but could stand some TLC. Overall she is in pretty decent shape for being 50 years old. (This Is Its Good Points) ( Here Are some of the things it still needs ) Need Tires , Has some air leaks , The body needs some aluminum work done on hood and cowling, And paint. Ac need charged. has a couple pieces of flat glass windows replaced that are cracked. Accessory drive is leaking oil.

  430. #430crane operator2017-12-07 21:50

    In the picture of the Chassis tag on the pete 288- it says that the chassis wt is 10935lbs. That must be with no engine, or no engine / transmission?

  431. #431RZucker2017-12-07 22:52

    288 should have been a single drive axle as built. I had a '74 359 cut down to single drive with a 335 Cummins that was 12,280 with 2 tanks of fuel and me in the drivers seat.

  432. #432Tenwheeler2017-12-07 23:17

    TLC White Freightliner

  433. #433Truck Shop2017-12-08 07:53

    That truck probably had a cab change that chassis weight would be minus a drive axle. And the tilt hood came out in mid 1966, I know because mine was a 1966 all original with factory tilt hood with air assist. Good pics thanks for posting. Truck Shop

  434. #434Truck Shop2017-12-10 16:55

    After a long lay off of ten years from my pen and ink table, I started this 1960 Autocar last monday the 4th and worked on it two hours a day. If it wasn't for Farmerlund wanting a P & I of his truck I probably wouldn't have restarted my art work. Thanks Farmerlund for getting a fire built under my ***. Truck Shop

  435. #435farmerlund2017-12-10 18:32

    Glad to see you are continuing to do some more artwork. I think you have a talent that few people have. Look forward to seeing some more new drawings Steve.

  436. #436old-iron-habit2017-12-11 20:16

    Truck Shop do you sell your work? I would love to commission you to draw one of my single axle 71 KW.

  437. #437Truck Shop2017-12-11 20:25

    I use to have a web site called Big Trucks in Ink, I sold a few but that endeavor was pretty much a waste of time. People generally want photos-something instant. If you want a pic just email some pics of it and I will see what I can do. Do you mind if I make it a long hood single axle W900? LOL Truck Shop

  438. #438RZucker2017-12-11 20:56

    So is the drawing in your new avatar an actual truck we may both know? The horns say "Romminger" , but the lift axle and stripes make me think of a guy in George with an ex Rahier Pete Co that is very similar, but it has the tall cab with 3 wipers. I helped stretch and install the lift axle on that one. 19 years later, its still on the road.

  439. #439Truck Shop2017-12-11 22:43

    No it's just a truck trailer rig that I dreamed up. There isn't anything I draw {except for personal/one off pictures} that really ends up as real. That's the fun thing about this art work, I just create what's in my mind at the time and could change several times before I finish a drawing. Other than the fact one of my pictures might look like someones truck-well that's just luck I guess. Now I will have to change that avatar. Truck Shop

  440. #440old-iron-habit2017-12-12 19:23

    Here it is. Still has the original owners name on the door. As an Artist you can do whatever you want with it.

  441. #441Truck Shop2017-12-12 20:56

    W900A long hood it is with Twice Pipes and still a single drive. Truck Shop

  442. #442Junkyard2017-12-12 20:59

    It's a dandy driving truck too. I made a lap with it this summer. I hope I did it justice

  443. #443RZucker2017-12-13 19:03

    That would make an awesome service truck chassis.

  444. #444Junkyard2017-12-13 22:29

    Well fellers I hope I'm not jumping the gun here but hopefully between Xmas and New Years I'm headed to south Tx to look at a Pete with a 12v71. If it's what the man says, have no reason to believe it isn't, it's gonna be relocated to Claremore! Question is....bada$$ haul truck or bada$$ service truck. Quite the quandary!!!

  445. #445farmerlund2017-12-14 10:17

    WHAT WAS THAT JUNKYARD?! I CANT HEAR YOU!!!

  446. #446Junkyard2017-12-14 10:36

    EXACTLY! Saltwater Chevy's don't leak oil the sweat horsepower!! They make beautiful music too!

  447. #447Truck Shop2017-12-14 20:35

    What in the hell is a saltwater chevy? Truck Shop

  448. #448RZucker2017-12-14 22:06

    Ima thinkin' a pair of 16V71's could push a boat around fairly well. At least a 50 footer or so.

  449. #449DMiller2017-12-15 06:41

    Nothing cackles like a 110!!!

  450. #450mitch5042017-12-15 11:06

    Our new (1977) boat has a pair of 16v71s in it. It replaces the 1917 model that had been upgraded from steam to a 12v567. I'll have to make a thread on this soon.

  451. #451crane operator2017-12-15 16:41

    Don't tease us like that- post up some pictures of that old truck so we can all see what you're looking at. Sure sounds like fun. Going to try to drive it home, or loading it up?

  452. #452RZucker2017-12-15 19:38

    After spending a few hundred hours on 6-110 TS-24's... cackle is not the proper term. More like "Bellow". Damb, those things were loud.

  453. #453Junkyard2017-12-15 19:49

    I'm not gutsy enough to drive it home. Not without some tires and a little love! I'll haul it back. We are so busy I'm gonna have a hard time getting down there to look at it.

  454. #454DMiller2017-12-15 20:09

    That combined loose wiring, whatever oil/air/something line tied to the left side engine would get my absolute attention before I would drive it far!!

  455. #455DMiller2017-12-15 20:13

    Hey Zucker, I was in the engine room on a fleeting tow with the twins in it, left one decided it no longer wanted to play, after the event found the governor weight section separated from the main linkage, you ought to hear a 110 when they try to run away!!! It was all I could do to get on it to shove a coat in the intake(only had screens on these). Was shaking like a hound crappin peach pits!!

  456. #456crane operator2017-12-15 20:28

    Yeah- that's a ways from a drive it home project. A wrecker project unfinished? Seems to me that I remember someone already having a wrecker project in their shed, but I'll cast no stones. (there's a wrecker bed laying in my back yard too)....

  457. #457crane operator2017-12-15 20:29

    No guts, no glory........

  458. #458RZucker2017-12-15 20:38

    I had one in a 24 stick an injector wide open, buried the bit in 4th gear and ran around to the blower side to trip the E-stop. It had a cable but I got 4' of wire when I yanked it.

  459. #459Junkyard2017-12-15 21:03

    Lol yes I have the 63 A-car. I'm thinking the Pete will be a haul truck. I have no use for the wrecker setup. I've driven some pretty sketchy **** a long way in the past. I'm older and wiser these days! Motor supposedly only has about 10 hours on a complete OH. Last runaway I had the pleasure of starting and stopping was a 6-71. All the other guys scattered when it quit stumbling and wound to the moon. I calmly pulled the fuel line out of the 5 gallon jug and let it run itself out of fuel. Of course after that I heckled them for being chickens.

  460. #460DMiller2017-12-15 21:03

    All I can think is LOL ROFL!!! Been there done that!!! Welcome to the Club!

  461. #461RZucker2017-12-15 21:59

    There's nothing worse than a Detroit that sits. I bought an 8V-71 once that had been overhauled ans sat for ten years, Hooked up batteries and spun it over and it sounded like a turbine. All the valves and injector plungers were stuck. PB blaster and a nylon hammer unstuck the valves and a new set of N-65's got her running. Luckily the valves weren't stuck tight enough for a piston strike to hurt anything.

  462. #462Truck Shop2017-12-15 23:05

    I saw that same truck in a post on another forum. Someone was after it you better run like hell to get it. I like that Gimmer box What's fun is when they don't shut down, it's so worn out it starts burning the crank case oil and the governor is worn out. I purposely let a POS double 00 go till she spit one through the block. That old engine would seep coolant out the breather tubes all day long it ate more coolant than oil. Truck Shop

  463. #463Junkyard2017-12-15 23:08

    I have an 8v71 I need to find a use for. Got it this summer. Everything I've dreamt up so far it's gonna be overkill. That's not all bad I guess but I want it to work a little so I'm not washing cylinders down. Most of my ideas it would be a steady rpm and load so that would help I suppose. I have a monster firewood processor idea in my head I've pondered using it for. Neighbors would love it! Gotta be straight pipes or just slightly muffled . I've been starting the search for pump drive adapters and whatnot. DMiller put me onto a site that has a lot of stuff. Perhaps tomorrow I'll pop the covers off the back and see what I have.

  464. #464Junkyard2017-12-15 23:10

    If they beat me they beat me lol. If I wasn't spread thin with kiddos this weekend I'd be on my way down right now. Oh well. They're around, may just have to build one of my own if nothin else!

  465. #465RZucker2017-12-15 23:21

    Hmm. I must have brushed the wrong key...

  466. #466RZucker2017-12-15 23:25

    IIRC, the Double O blocks over 400HP liked to crack right over the rear main making them leak coolant from the aftercooler feed passages.

  467. #467DMiller2017-12-16 05:50

    Worst series DD ever built was the 53's for runaways, had an ag drainage pump 20' off grade with a 6v53 for a prime mover, engine ran but smoked really bad, owner decided to let me or rather have me overhaul it. Took three days out in the open in May but not a problem, all was good and everything noted as free(rack) so lit it up, surged three times then headed well over governor, owner was standing above me (engine was in a hole, story of my life) dumped a CO2 extinguisher in the intake. Took all bottom end back down, on my own dime, had to replace a few spun bearings but saved the crank, Emory paper cleaned, rechecked EVERYTHING including pulling the governor and found Nothing to have caused the issue. Started the second time, ran like supposed to. That engine ran for 12 more years until he sold off the farm. Second engine same design and install was not so fortunate, buddy was on that one, he was just setting rack/overhead, lit it up and chucked two rods before could shut it down.

  468. #468Birken Vogt2017-12-16 11:46

    I wasn't there so I can't judge, but in both these cases, why wasn't the mechanic's hand directly on the rack when starting up, since the rack was obviously free in both cases, thought that was Detroit 101. And also I was taught, if starting an engine after any disturbing of the fuel injection system, to have a plate IN HAND ready to throw on the intake, have the intake taken apart if necessary. I still follow this rule on anything with an injection pump or something like an injection pump to this day.

  469. #469DMiller2017-12-16 11:58

    Lack of bodies. Always had two helpers, still walk with them everyday as did my buddy, was Me Myself And I, remote start and indications panels above where the engines and pump drive were set, pizz poor layout but it was what it was. When I started my project I was situated on a side platform with a remote starter button with the engine completely buttoned up, had not had the need prior to have covers off on restarts of these, a first bad day. Buddy of mine had to access the work panel as the murphy system was functional, he had tried to start with remote but the murphy set up shut off fuel electronically, he too had not had a bad day with these. Both were in the open, dirty conditions, lots of field dust so engines were buttoned up. Never did find why the one I worked on overshot, was just luck the owner was standing by, he had not wanted to come out.

  470. #470Birken Vogt2017-12-16 12:03

    Understood, I work alone too. My rule is if I can't stop it if something goes wrong then I won't start it. I'll go find help before I ever take that chance.

  471. #471DMiller2017-12-16 12:08

    Back in the Olden Days when I was bulletproof did not think that hard on it!!

  472. #472mitch5042017-12-16 12:20

    My brother started one up after a rebuild, (8v71, ithink?), didn't have a piece of steel handy. He cut off a piece of brand new 3/4" plywood and set it there before he started. It ran away and so did his helper. by the time he ran around and grabbed the plywood, it was screaming. He threw the wood up there and it sucked a hole right through it and kept screaming. By time he got back with an extiguisher, it was toast. He nailed that piece of wood to the wall in his shop, and it's still there 30 years later.

  473. #473DMiller2017-12-16 17:08

    Have used a coat, a shop manual(another 4L71) and been there for the CO2, lots of ways to shut one down, when they fail walk away quickly!!

  474. #474Truck Shop2017-12-16 18:44

    Oh come on guy's the proper way to handle a start up and run away is to feed it ether and lots of it. Get that S.O.B. really spinning just empty a whole can into that snorkel and it will kill it's self trying to gobble it up. Truck Shop

  475. #475RZucker2017-12-16 19:04

    I've seen 4 in shop runaways... They do tend to frighten the horses. One was a 6V-53 that the guy had no clue about connecting the 2 piece fuel rods without binding them. Another was a 12V71 with the buffer screw set way too tight, actually not a runaway it just ran at 1200 rpm and would not stop with the normal stop lever. Another was a 6-71 inline the guy bound up the rack tube bearing on, and the final one was a Case tractor engine that some moron used weatherstrip adhesive on the gallery cover in the pump and dripped it into the rack. All but the Case were killed early enough to prevent damage, the Case dropped 2 valves when the keepers floated off.

  476. #476old-iron-habit2017-12-16 19:21

    I hope to not every build with plywood like that. Must be that new environmental glue. I would like to see what the blower looked like after all that 3/4" wood went thru the screws.

  477. #477Junkyard2017-12-16 19:30

    That 6-71 that ran away on me sounded like a tornado siren when it wound down after it ran out of fuel. It was a well seasoned motor so it was loose enough a little excess rpm didn't hurt it. The guys asked me if I was going to drop the pan and take a look. I laughed and said nope, all the rods are in it, she's good to go. I'll pull the valve cover and deal with the rack and/or injector issue. That motor ran for a solid 10 years in the upper of an old P&H crane before they exported it to who knows where. Every time I picture those grown men scattering like their wives just caught them objectifying some female I laugh my *** off. Hell I was only 22-23 at the time. Cool as a cucumber I walked over and jerked that stratoflex fuel line out of the 5 gallon jug of fuel I had. On the inside I was running faster than Jessie Owens! (Don't tell them that!)

  478. #478Truck Shop2017-12-16 21:01

    Yeah well there fellers here in town at Walla Walla Community College one of the Einsteins that teach the diesel program was showing the class how to stop a runaway with a clip board. They full throttled a B model and slammed the clip board over the turbo- That panther Cat sucked that clip board in and exploded the turbo to everyone's amazement. Yes this is the proper way to stop a runaway class-Chester you have your hand up would you like to give it a try? . Truck Shop

  479. #479RZucker2017-12-16 21:04

    I used to work with TS-24 Euclids with 6-71's in the rear, coming down off a steep stock pile you woud swear those critters were hitting 4,000 plus rpm at times and they just kept humming. One outfit tried a 250 cummins in the rear of a 24... it lasted 3 loads before the rod escaped.

  480. #480RZucker2017-12-16 21:08

    Heard of a guy trying to stop an 8V71 with a service manual... It sucked that in page by page and blew charred paper all over the shop. Dunno if it was true, but I can believe some of it.

  481. #481Junkyard2017-12-16 21:14

    Reminds me a of a guy we raced with. Kept scattering motors. It's got a rev limiter in it he'd say, how can I be blowing them up. Well....here's how. Downshifting from 4th to 3rd while still running 6,500 rpm will tend to create a bit of an overrun issue.... Yes but it's got a rev limiter he said again. It took quite some time to finally get him to understand it couldn't function when downshifting like that. I didn't even try to explain why.

  482. #482RZucker2017-12-16 21:19

    Yep, 3 years ago I had a guy turn a piston sideways in a 3176 Cat on a really steep down hill. He said the governor must be bad if the engine over revved.

  483. #483Truck Shop2017-12-16 21:42

    A Cat dealer in Tukwila had just built a new shop only to rebuild it a year later IIRC. On some Pete's built in the late 80's early 90's the air line to fuel shut off was plumbed into the wrong tank-no air no shut down. They had one in the shop they couldn't shut down and panicked and started unscrewing the fuel lines. A truck had just come off the freeway after a test drive and had the hood up. Fuel sprayed onto the 500 plus degree turbo igniting both trucks- burned the shop damn near to the ground. Would anyone care to hear my rat story? Truck Shop

  484. #484RZucker2017-12-16 22:15

    They didn't know how to use a small Vise grip pliers to kill a 3406? So what's the Rat story?

  485. #485Tenwheeler2017-12-16 22:24

    Sure: The rat over sped the wheel and? I had a 855 run away repeatedly. Truck A was towed in and truck B drove in. Installed engine from truck B into truck A. Started it up and there she went, impossible it's not a Detroit. Had a 1/4 x 10 x 4' plate, junk close by, and stuck it on the turbo. Sucked it right on there and kept on running. Must have been at least 3,000 RPM and it would hold the plate up there all by itself. Then keep on running for maybe two minutes. Swapped the pump and gone again. I do not recall what all was done but problem bee or wasp. A dirt or mud dobber stopped up the return line. After that I always found a 2x8x3' or so and had it handy on start up. The wood will seal on the turbo, will not suck stuff in the engine, fingers and toes are not cloose.

  486. #486Birken Vogt2017-12-16 23:06

    Yes, I remember I heard of a guy, don't remember where, the spinning turbo ate a couple inches off a finger or fingers instantly. I got my fingers sucked into an the tube of an air filter housing once, lucky it was just a filter in there and not moving parts. So I could see how it could happen.

  487. #487Truck Shop2017-12-17 07:39

    HeavyEquipmentForums

  488. #488sled dog2017-12-17 08:58

    Way back in 76, was runnin a TS-24 on a road job. Came lunch time and several other 24s and a couple push cats just parked in the shade at a borrow pit. I rolled up coasting in 4th, stopped and went to neutral. Instantly the ass motor wound up and kept winding. Jumped down and ran to the rear and slammed the shutoff and tripped the emergency on that 6-71. I don't know how fast it was turnin, but don't ever want to hear that scream again. It very slowly wound down and chugged to a stop. 'bout 5 minutes later an old mechanic showed up. He had been at the yard 3 miles away and heard it and came. I have never had an ass chewing like that before or since. He yelled and yelled till he couldn't yell anymore then just stood there and shook. When he finally could speak, he told me if that ever happened again in my life to run, far away and fast. You see, his best friend had tried to do the exact same thing I had done, to a runaway 6-71 on the ass of a 24. The blower let go and took his head off at the shoulders...

  489. #489crane operator2017-12-17 09:06

    So how many paccar canada trucks make it to washington, Missouri? (DMiller has all the good stuff up by him) Add says 1987 kenworth 510, and it looks like heavy front end and rears. I think I've heard this called a canadian spread rear, but I've never heard the reasoning, I'm assuming its to meet a axle spread regulation? https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...MI-OLZz9qP2AIVg79kCh2IugjmEAEYASABEgKCCvD_BwE

  490. #490crane operator2017-12-17 09:09

    It evidently has a little engine problem.... I would think that 1987 would have been special order for big cam III, I think most were big cam 4 with the low flow cooling by then.

  491. #491Truck Shop2017-12-17 15:19

    Yes that's a BC IV probably CPL 676 which was a good engine except for the cooling system. I see a BC IV and BC III after cooler on that pallet. If a person has the BC III after cooler, stat housing and tubes the IV is easy to change back to full flow cooling. CPL 676 had slightly higher compression and slightly more lift on the cam which made it a desirable engine to make power with. Have the pump set up 15% with a HT3B turbo and it would move right along. What was a real problem with the low flow cooling system was the stats and the baffle or divider in the bottom of radiator would start leaking causing the coolant to flow in one hose and straight out the other. Coolant would not circulate through the core. Good looking C500 series though. And that's a 60" axle spread. Truck Shop

  492. #492RZucker2017-12-17 16:43

    That engine has some serious issues... number 3 and 4 pistons should be at the same height in their bores. Broken crank too?

  493. #493Truck Shop2017-12-17 18:17

    I thought the same when I first looked at that photo but it is the camera angle. Truck Shop

  494. #494crane operator2017-12-17 18:32

    Door tag reads big cam III, you can read it blown up. I think they were still available as high flow in special order yet in '87, but standard was low flow. I have no idea what's actually wrong with the engine, truck is up for auction near me at the end of the year, and I'm kind of always looking for a project. Big old heavy trucks kind of always appeal to me. Double frame looks a little rust packed in the other pictures they have of it, hard to tell from the pictures what's just surface rust, and how bad it is. I don't think the frame would flex quite like my Western star does with my lowboy and the crane on, but I'm sure it wouldn't ride as nice. We don't see many of that series kenworth by me, they're probably more common out in logging country?

  495. #495Truck Shop2017-12-17 18:33

    Ended up with a cold water leak at the very right front of the block and head. Thinking it had the early version head gasket [known to rot at water ports} I pulled the head and found it had the early style head gasket. So for $1,200 I will huck a new head gasket, head bolts, injector o-rings and injector harness in there. Started on it yesterday at 10:00 am had head removed by 12:30. Cleaned the deck, tapped and cleaned the head bolt holes and checked liner protrusion-it's right on at + .002. Will clean the head up tomorrow drop into place and torque. Waiting on cam bearings, the pistons and liners are in fine shape along with cam and rockers plus the engine was pretty clean inside. Best to repair it now I don't like putting things off. Truck Shop

  496. #496RZucker2017-12-17 18:50

    Is that on the Tow rig?

  497. #497Truck Shop2017-12-17 18:56

    Ya darn tootin it is. I would rather find it now. Truck Shop

  498. #498RZucker2017-12-17 19:03

    That's much better than finding the leak in a North Dakota parking lot.

  499. #499crane operator2017-12-17 20:08

    Not the first time you've been into one of those, if you could go down to that in a few hours. It takes me forever to get anything tore apart, because I'm usually marking everything or I forget how it goes back together.

  500. #500Junkyard2017-12-17 21:10

    I've got two or three things torn down at my shop. If my memory ever goes I am T-totally fu$&ed! Haha. Quite a few things I don't need to mark, it all makes sense to me. On occasion I'll pull something apart and as I'm doing it my motions and the way things look seem counterintuitive to me so I make notes. Like tab A doesn't go in slot B, more like A in C and D in G then B in E....and of course no F. Must be an Italian drilling rig!

  501. #501crane operator2017-12-18 18:29

    for all you guys missing the sound of a detroit..... 6v92 in my 70 ton crane, just setting some iron on a building today.

  502. #502Junkyard2017-12-18 20:22

    I need to figure out how to make that my alarm tone

  503. #503colson042017-12-18 21:23

    That's an old familiar song Our trucks are pretty well parked til springtime now. I probably won't be hearing our DD 6V92 sing until May

  504. #504hvy 1ton2017-12-19 15:31

    Some states give a little extra weight for 60" spread on permits. I think Cali gives an extra 1000lbs on 60" drives.

  505. #505Truck Shop2017-12-19 17:58

    Bridge weight, also one thing about Hendrickson 60" walking beam-extreme traction. Truck Shop

  506. #506Truck Shop2017-12-19 20:04

    Done and running smooth finished today at 12:00 noon sharp. Truck Shop

  507. #507DMiller2017-12-19 20:43

    Where are all the greasy slimy hand prints and slopped oil at!!!! Did not realize DD put pull starters on these(Small black Handle "PULL") Actually looks really good. Very tidy install.

  508. #508Truck Shop2017-12-20 21:08

    I think I posted something some pages back about J Series Sterling. Well there is only one left, it my be ready for the 2018 Brooks, Or. show. I wonder if this is the one I saw years ago in Red Bluff, Ca. it all most has to be. Truck Shop

  509. #509RZucker2017-12-20 21:14

    That would really be something to see.

  510. #510old-iron-habit2017-12-21 18:47

    In year 2020 our Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club (ACMOC) national show will be in Brooks. I hope it is around then.

  511. #511Truck Shop2017-12-21 22:40

    Some classic country trucker music {when it came out of a juke box} Truck Shop

  512. #512Truck Shop2017-12-21 22:48

    Cash and Jennings Truck Shop

  513. #513Junkyard2017-12-21 23:00

    That's one of my favorites.

  514. #514Labparamour2017-12-22 13:23

    Mine is “Give me 40 acres!” Darryl

  515. #515Truck Shop2017-12-22 19:17

    From 1975 Truck Shop

  516. #516crane operator2017-12-22 23:52

    My parents had this song on a record (who has such things anymore! 33- 45- 78's, might as well talk greek), but I still remember sitting on the couch, facing the armrest at the wheel of my own black mack...... Pig pen- you want to back off- them hogs is gettin intense.... Hated the duck and hated his truck and loved to bust trucks for fun.....

  517. #517hvy 1ton2017-12-23 02:06

    Hate to break it to you Crane Op, but vinyl is "in" again. I personally don't get it. I've ruined enough CD's on bouncing down gravel roads, that i gave up on physical media.

  518. #518RZucker2017-12-23 21:01

    "10-4 backdoor, put the pedal to the metal and let it roar". Anybody remember that one?

  519. #519Truck Shop2017-12-27 20:51

    Been after this REO emblem for long time, finally got it. It will go on my tool box along with the other badges. This badge is around 110 years old-circa 1905 REO solid brass. Truck shop

  520. #520DMiller2017-12-28 04:32

    Very Cool!

  521. #521farmerlund2017-12-30 12:53

    Found this under the Christmas tree a few days ago. The wife had it framed for me. Thanks, Truck Shop

  522. #522Truck Shop2017-12-30 15:10

    Your most certainly welcome. Truck Shop

  523. #523DMiller2017-12-30 19:04

    Got to love inked drawings, even basic black and white you can feel the machine in it.

  524. #524Truck Shop2018-01-01 18:21

    My tool box memorial to old trucks and simpler day's. Truck Shop

  525. #525Hallback2018-01-01 22:26

    This is me. My dad made me learn right handed when I was born a lefty. It made me a far superior baseball player, timber faller and shooter!

  526. #526DMiller2018-01-02 06:45

    Brings on a lot of old memories of my first days working Found the air intake radiator fill door from the first White Freightliner I built a glider from Became a plain Freightliner then

  527. #527Truck Shop2018-01-06 18:29

    Here are a couple new pen and ink's. The Kenworth I drew for Old-Iron-Habit it's a pic of his own truck. And the L cab B75 1964 Mack is something I dreamed up for R Zucker. Hope that auto crane is big enough Rob. Truck Shop

  528. #528RZucker2018-01-06 23:35

    That Mack is going to give my old F800 a complex. If I was 20 years younger I might try building that one. Thanks Mike.

  529. #529Truck Shop2018-01-07 13:04

    Well take that Ford in and have it lay on a couch and discuss it's problems. Truck Shop

  530. #530Truck Shop2018-01-07 18:53

    http://www.livetrucking.com/trucker-makes-near-impossible-turn-giant-wind-turbine/ Truck Shop

  531. #531Crummy2018-01-07 19:42

    Truck Shop- Have you heard of an outfit over your way named Tate Transportation (Walla Walla)? The build sheet for my truck says it was for them back in 2000.

  532. #532Truck Shop2018-01-07 20:56

    Don't make me laugh-------------------------------------------------that's who I work for Tater Bug. The old owners name was Tom and he had an award for his best driver. The name of the award is {Tom's Top Tater Tot Trucker} What do you want to know besides that? What truck is it? Truck Shop

  533. #533Crummy2018-01-07 21:34

    That's funny, who knew? I was just curious if they were even still around. I've got no history of the truck before I got it, just that build sheet with Tate's name & it was 1 of 5 for them. 2000 KW T800SF last 4 of the VIN 3240.

  534. #534Truck Shop2018-01-07 21:56

    There were actually 9 of those charcoal gray T800's that were 2000 models. But we have been through over 170 tractors since I've been there. Those 800's were good tractors. Tom would trade them off when they hit 400 to 450K. Truck Shop

  535. #535Crummy2018-01-07 22:11

    It's been good to me & well spec'd. I'll actually be kind of a little sad to see some lucky new owner drive it away. It's living the life now all fixed & cleaned up pretty sitting in the shop & I'm working outside in the rain. After all that work getting it ready to sell I don't want to put it outside!

  536. #536RZucker2018-01-09 20:34

    Walked in to the porch tonight and found a package from UPS... A pic of "MY" Mack from Truck Shop with a couple of bonus pics. Thank you Mike. Coffee is on me next time we meet up.

  537. #537Junkyard2018-01-09 20:36

    Eh hem. What do I need to do to get a pic......lol. I may be up your way this summer. Middle daughter plays competitive soccer and there's a big clinic in Seattle, July I think. I may just come along.....

  538. #538RZucker2018-01-09 20:39

    There you go. Keep us up to speed on that.

  539. #539Truck Shop2018-01-09 21:15

    Well you could send me some photos email, but I have a B67 Mack to do for a guy in Pennsylvania so it might be a month. I have one rule though {I don't draw Volvo's}. A fellow has to draw the line somewhere. Send me a pic Junkyard. Truck Shop

  540. #540Junkyard2018-01-09 21:30

    Volvo? Isn't that part of a woman's anatomy? Lmao. I'll look through my trucks and see which I want. Possibly my old 359 as it was and something like you did with the B model service truck. No rush at all. I'll see what I can come up with!

  541. #541Junkyard2018-01-09 21:32

    Draw the line. That's punny! Haha

  542. #542Birken Vogt2018-01-09 21:56

    Would you not even draw one of these https://d323w7klwy72q3.cloudfront.net/i/a/2016/20161027const/K1119.JPG http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/7362/9165005_1.jpg?v=8CC87BD44FFA290

  543. #543RZucker2018-01-09 22:37

    Sadly... this one is just a Volvo with a funny hood.

  544. #544Truck Shop2018-01-10 07:48

    That A Car is a different story it has some character. That Volvo is just a spud left out in the rain. I bet the dash panel/gauges in that one are haywire, turn the signal on and the whole panel flashes or gauges move to and fro. This Western Star below is allot like the A Car. Truck Shop

  545. #545Birken Vogt2018-01-10 11:01

    I was trying to find a picture of a White/GMC with an Autocar badge on the hood and a Volvo stripe on the grille, saw one in real life one day. It was similar to the sorry looking Volvo above. We called it the White/GMC/Autocar/Volvo.

  546. #546Truck Shop2018-01-10 18:28

    Here is a pic of one of those turds. Truck Shop

  547. #547colson042018-01-10 21:35

    Lol, I have to ask, why the strong distaste for the volvo (turds)? We own a '94 volvo/whiteGMC on the farm. It's clean, has a 3406B that pulls like a freight train and drives nice when loaded down. We replaced the exhaust from turbo back, but that's it. Our only gripe is it has 24.5 rubber when everything else 22.5.

  548. #548Truck Shop2018-01-10 21:47

    If you replaced that exhaust with OEM that was expensive. The dash had bad Electrical problems, the hoods never seemed to fit right, the cab layout was uncomfortable I could go on. That performance of that Cat in that volvo has nothing to do with that volvo. volvo's have no character because they were designed by a blind man. No offense ment to a blind person. Truck Shop

  549. #549RZucker2018-01-10 21:56

    I know one thing about Volvos... Never buy them from Haney's seasonal fleet. Ask me how I know.

  550. #550colson042018-01-10 22:14

    Well, I guess we'll see how this one treats us. We've had it a year, but it's done well so far. Exhaust was replaced aftermarket. Still not cheap though. I know the Cat performance is not tied to Volvo in anyway. Overall we are pleased with the truck, but we haven't put 10,000 miles on it yet either. Seasonal farm use doesn't add up to much in a year. Different game than y'all play

  551. #551RZucker2018-01-10 23:16

    Sounds like you have a good drivetrain. Hopefully the Volvo body holds up for you, Some do, some don't. They do seem to be plagued with electrical issues, mostly the fire wall plugs and the grounds just inside the fire wall. Both of mine had issues with the headlights that came down to the cab plug grounds, being 1986 models I didn't have much trouble with the dash instruments, but the later ones did.

  552. #552colson042018-01-11 11:37

    https://flint.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1979-autocar-tri-axle-dump/6447733238.html '79 Autocar for sale near me. Don't think I've ever seen any of these running around local.

  553. #553mowingman2018-01-11 11:52

    Now these were some tough trucks. The company I worked for in the 80's, had dozens of these old Autocars at ready mix operations throughout Texas and Louisiana. I was managing one of their sand plants, and needed some trucks for the offroad haul of pit run, up to the wash plant. I managed to get lucky and received 4 old beat up, retired Autocar mixer trucks. We stripped off the mixers and installed dump bodies. These old trucks hauled 8-10 hours/day, 5 or 6 days a week, for 3 years at our plant. Tough, tough, tough, is all I can say about them. '79 Autocar for sale near me. Don't think I've ever seen any of these running around local.[/QUOTE]

  554. #554Birken Vogt2018-01-11 12:02

    On a fire near Fossil, Or we came across one of those as a water truck, except it was just a tandem, but 6x6, about the same year, way down in some canyon where you would never expect a truck so big to go. I think he had about 180 horsepower, like we said in another thread, that helps to keep from tearing stuff up.

  555. #555Truck Shop2018-01-16 20:30

    This is a personal I just finished for a member on another forum. The print and scanning made it come out darker than the original. Truck Shop

  556. #556DMiller2018-01-17 16:18

    Love the B, LJ & LT Macks, character in those machines. Like the DC cab A-cars or the old Diamonds. My history shows out.

  557. #557Wytruckwrench2018-01-17 18:13

    I swapped a trans in a B75 a week ago. Big long quadraplex box. He still hauls logs a few days a week with it.

  558. #558crane operator2018-01-17 19:15

    For sale up in nebraska, I think he's going to have a hard time getting the $18,000, but who knows? 1979 autocar, 400 cummins 13 speed . Not what you would call "high polish" on the front fenders. https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1979-autocar-semi-ready-for/6454863382.html

  559. #559RZucker2018-01-17 19:35

    Pull the Cummins and strip the frame from the cab back, I might be interested for the right price. A 12V71 and a set of 60K rears would make a real truck out of that.

  560. #560DMiller2018-01-17 20:07

    Be a heavy old bitch!! But a good old one at that!

  561. #561DMiller2018-01-17 20:09

    First clutch job at Mack St. Louis 1966 B63 with a Thermodyne and a Quad box. Dump truck with all sorts of extra bracing and **** under it. I earned my keep on that one rolled it out at six hours with a new input shaft, clutch and rear main seal. I ached for five days.

  562. #562crane operator2018-01-17 20:09

    They don't make hood ornaments quite like that anymore either. That and I don't know if I'd have the patience to fill both those 150 gallon tanks, or probably the pocketbook.

  563. #563Truck Shop2018-01-17 20:18

    Oh no! That A Car needs another 60" added to the wheel base and a 50 ton integral boom/wheel lift installed. With a custom 600 hp 3ZJ mechanical Cat and custom air charge cooler. Six inch twice pipes, RTLO18913A, 2050 ftlb clutch, DS461 rears. With a nice visor- no drop visor though and Vortox air cleaners. That truck will sell fast. Truck Shop

  564. #564crane operator2018-01-19 19:44

    1977 kenworth. It and a old lowboy for $14,000, but it isn't much of a lowboy, but would work ok for hauling around a dozer or small excavator/ farm use. Says its on walking beam now, but includes the rears to switch to spring ride? If its a true walking beam, not spring over walking beam, that would be the suspension for that wrecker. It would ride rough, but it wouldn't flex in a hard pull either. Looks to me like the drivers fuel tank is a little loose in the straps, and has walked itself over. Looks like they aren't getting the top 1/3 of that tank. Kinda like the paint job- I'm not much for green, but it's got some character to it. Looks like the frame was green too at one time. https://fortsmith.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1977-kenworth-1978-miller-35/6455009958.html

  565. #565RZucker2018-01-19 20:16

    Too bad they didn't get the proper elbows to put the stacks where they belong. Doesn't look like they are well supported. But that's just me. I had a '74 Peterbilt once that I put a set of 5" pipes on using all new OEM brackets and elbows. When I sold the truck the new owner build a frame mounted baffle box and narrow mounted the stacks behind the cab??? WTH? I do admit that my setup was a bit obnoxiously loud... 335 Cummins rebuilt to run as close to a 444 as possible, Pulse manifold and Holset turbo made it talk with authority. Oh, It did like to dine on 3406B Cats. A Cummins guy figured it was worth about 450HP at the time.

  566. #566Truck Shop2018-01-19 20:23

    You really need a set of stiff legs with walking beam suspension it acts like a teeter totter. Believe it or not your better off with air ride or Chalmers suspension on a tow/recovery truck. Not a bad looking W9 but those stacks would have to go. Truck Shop

  567. #567RZucker2018-01-19 20:30

    Yep. right back in the original mounts and put a muffler underneath.

  568. #568Junkyard2018-01-19 20:32

    What's that word? Muffler? Please explain....

  569. #569RZucker2018-01-19 20:42

    If you had heard my Pete, I think you may have said "That's too loud" I'm not really sure what Frankenstein I created, but it was LOUD and would run like a tall dog in heat at 102K gross. And when the Jakes were on it loosened up headliner screws. It was even annoying when it idled, it had this whistle noise that could drive you nuts.

  570. #570Junkyard2018-01-19 20:53

    I've run a few like that....There are certain tones or resonance that gets to me but just plain loud ain't so bad. I don't think (haha) so not being able to hear myself think isn't all bad. My brother had a 60 series with 5" straights. It was obnoxious. I had a well built big cam that was very much like you describe. I could rattle windows two blocks either side of the road I was on!

  571. #571RZucker2018-01-19 20:58

    It's kinda funny. I had an 86 Frieghtliner with a 3406 that was fairly quiet with 5" pipes. Had a nice growl to it.

  572. #572crane operator2018-01-19 21:02

    I could see the walking beam acting like you say, that makes sense. I always thought those chalmers looked like a good heavy suspension, but I've never owned one. My 60 series doesn't have mufflers and its pretty loud on the jakes. I'd prefer mufflers, but I'm not spending the $ until I have to.

  573. #573Junkyard2018-01-19 21:19

    My old 359 with a 400 Cat water jacket motor sounded MEAN with straights. Nice low growl. Never high and raspy. Most all of the mechanical Cats I've had with straights were lower. Getting into the E model and beyond they get raspier. My 359 with 8" straights was one you heard over all the others not because it was loud but because it was deep and rumbled. Plus it was geared low so it was always wound tight. I miss it. The guy who bought it has it for sale again. I'm waiting for the desperate price drop and I'll own again.

  574. #574crane operator2018-01-19 21:21

    I'm still waiting for a texas trip after a 12v71 that someone mentioned, or did that all fall through?

  575. #575Junkyard2018-01-19 21:27

    Haven't made it down yet. Kids are busy or sick. Wife had the flu now we are the ER with what I suspect is an appendix awaiting removal. I'll catch a break and take a run down. Crap weather hasn't helped matter much either. I sure do want it!

  576. #576crane operator2018-01-19 21:33

    School and the county both sent out letters warning of the flu and to have the kids stay home if they're sick. Appendix is no fun, one of the guys I deere hunt with spent a bunch of time in the hospital after his burst. Good luck and let me know if I you need a hand.

  577. #577Wytruckwrench2018-01-19 22:57

    I keep seeing that one advertised. I keep thinking I should go take a look. Nooooo! The Autocar, that is. Would be something different to add to my collection.

  578. #578Truck Shop2018-01-22 22:31

    A nice flat fender A Car. Truck Shop

  579. #579RZucker2018-01-22 22:39

    That. Is. A. Truck.

  580. #580Wytruckwrench2018-01-23 00:10

    Mighty sharp A truck!

  581. #581crane operator2018-01-23 23:52

    Okay, enough pretty trucks, who's up for a ride in this fine creature? 6v53, 5 speed with 2 speed rear. Single rear axle and nice short wheelbase for that smoooth ride... Heat wrap on the exhaust, and look at that sweet shifter linkage. There's enough fuel in that big tank to get it further than I would want to drive it. Almost forgot, its got those easy to find 22" tires too. $3,000 and it could be yours.... I'm not offering delivery for anyone, I won't even go look for anyone...... https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/international-cargo-star/6450575212.html

  582. #582crane operator2018-01-23 23:53

    Original interior, plywood on the roof, International's are only going to go up in value.....

  583. #583Junkyard2018-01-24 00:42

    I wonder why the brakes are caged.....in one pic on the ad you can see the cage bolt sticking out.....I'm a buyer at $1,000 for the motor. Although the most green leaker headaches were given to me by a 6v53.....

  584. #584Truck Shop2018-01-24 03:54

    Those were true crap wagons. And that one is special dandy! I like that chrome axle cover that adds a speck of true class and show truck quality . Truck Shop

  585. #585crane operator2018-01-24 07:46

    I saw the brakes were caged, I wondered if they were hoping it would just roll away. Anyone notice the true dual exhaust? The drivers side is a little short. That's got to be a nice sound with that all steel cab and sitting on top of that engine. I would hope those doors swing open 180 degrees also, or I don't know how you would get into the cab without being a acrobat. Wasn't someone looking for a short single axle to pull a big excavator on a pintle trailer?

  586. #586mitch5042018-01-24 10:04

    That chrome cover is there so you don't notice how many axle studs are rung off flush with the hub. I started out in something very like that except it had an MV404 gasser. My father bought it brand new, and I just scrapped it this year, when they took his place. I will say, when I was 9 years old and driving it up and down the the rows so the men could stack hay on the trailer, IT WAS DAMNED COOL!!!!

  587. #587RZucker2018-01-24 16:18

    Now I gotta figure out how to post a pic or 2. I have one of these that's even uglier on spoke wheels with a 4-53, includes bone dry hydraulic brakes. In it's former life it really was a sh!tsreader truck. The engine is sold and as soon as its out truck meets torch. Until then the shop cat sleeps in the cab.

  588. #588Birken Vogt2018-01-24 17:47

    A 4-53 in a truck? What kind of power did that have?

  589. #589RZucker2018-01-24 17:59

    Likely not much. A friend is going to use this engine to repower an early 90's F-350 4x4 dually. That's his project, not mine. The 4-53 runs like a watch and doesn't leak so he should do ok. The old pos was given to me so it's all profit. I've driven early 70's Chevy C-65's with a 4-53T and those were nothing to write home about. 4-53 NA was what? 130 HP? Probably worked fine for an old slow farm truck. And due to the 7 or 8 paint layers, who knows what the real history of the old beast is. The engine installation is factory near as I can see.

  590. #590Tenwheeler2018-01-24 21:22

    Awesome power! I drove an almost new GMC with one and it had a turbo. 5 and 2 with power steering, air brakes and a 28 ft box. One place I picked up at had a right turn from the stop sign. The grade was At least 7%. Twist it up in 1L to the stratosphere, get it straight and split to 1H. Twist it again and shift to 2L. If that shift took three seconds it would steady loose RPM and stall. Set the parking brake and back to 1L. Load the clutch and start again in four lane city traffic. AWESOME! It did OK on the highway.

  591. #591Truck Shop2018-01-24 22:42

    A fellow would get allot older and grow a beard before he got from point A to point B. Truck Shop

  592. #592colson042018-01-27 09:40

    Another interesting find nearby https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hvo/d/1975-diamond-reo-dump-truck/6471943559.html

  593. #593Truck Shop2018-01-27 16:21

    Being a gasser it was probably a municipal vehicle at one time. The cab and hood look fairly nice and the frame isn't a rust bucket that I can see. The hood emblems are worth $600 on their own. Plus it has Minnesota Mag Wheels. Truck Shop

  594. #594Truck Shop2018-01-27 22:21

    Working on a pen and ink of this Superliner Mack for a fellow on another forum. It has allot of detail to cover with the added pin stripping and air brush work. Typical of eastern Mack owners, they really spruce them up. I will post the pic when done. Truck Shop

  595. #595RZucker2018-01-28 11:51

    One of the farms up this way had 2 identical REOs just like that with Budd wheels, both powered with 391 Ford engines. I never got much of a history to go with them but the engines appeared to be factory installed.

  596. #596Truck Shop2018-01-28 14:51

    Those could have been factory with 391's. In Dec of 74 Diamond REO went bankrupt and to complete what they had left they probably installed some other engines. The Gold Comet was the factory engine up to 440 cu.in. V8 . White used some Comets also. A company bought D/R and built a few trucks a day up into the ninties. That one above was one of the last being a 1975. Truck Shop

  597. #597RZucker2018-01-28 15:12

    1974-75 sounds about right for these. 391, 5x4, air brakes and power steering. They were nice trucks for short hauls with a 20' spud box. If I get a chance I'll take a look soon. IIRC one of them was out along Beverly-Burke road south of George about a year ago. Didn't look to be in use.

  598. #598Truck Shop2018-01-30 21:03

    For anyone wanting to go into the logging biz here's a late fifties Hayes for sale in Bend Or. Won't find a better one anywhere with this low mileage and left over warranty. Truck Shop

  599. #599RZucker2018-01-30 21:12

    I'm thinking heavy lowboy prime mover there.

  600. #600DMiller2018-01-31 12:24

    Heavy being the Key word!

  601. #601Truck Shop2018-01-31 20:28

    A New England Mack Super Liner Truck Shop

  602. #602RZucker2018-01-31 21:12

    Some fine work there. I got to drive an early 80's Superliner for a bit. Pretty truck, but it still had that ugly green interior. Go figure.

  603. #603Junkyard2018-01-31 21:16

    Those Italians like that guinea green interior. Goes all the way back to the B models.

  604. #604RZucker2018-01-31 21:27

    I'm more curious when they stopped using it. Way back I had an A-53 Mack built in 1950 ? that was green inside.

  605. #605Junkyard2018-01-31 21:34

    Maybe they finally just used up all the green paint! I figured it pre-dated the B model. Come to think of it I'm not sure what's in the LTL. It's not a bone stock interior so it may not be true to form color wise. According to the Mack guru Tocci around 69-70 they went to tan interior with the advent of plastic parts. From that point plastic was tan, metal was green. Another fun fact is almost all employees of Kirker Paint in NJ died of lead poising.

  606. #606Truck Shop2018-01-31 22:43

    Well those people at the paint factory were probably eating it thinking it was guacamole . Truck Shop

  607. #607Junkyard2018-01-31 22:47

    Haha yeah or to hide the occurrence of a workplace shooting they marked cause of death lead poisoning!

  608. #608DMiller2018-02-01 18:25

    I like it!

  609. #609Truck Shop2018-02-01 20:57

    There are things you just associate or remember about trucks. Mack's ugly green interior, KW's straight up throttle pedal in the A model's, Pete's wiper mounts that crack, Freightliner you freeze or fry in the cab, Volvo or GMC you shread your hands working in the sharp dash. Corn Queen door latches and window regulator's fall apart . But for some reason Freightliner cab overs seamed to leak oil from the dash no mater what engine or compressor was between the rails. You could always tell what the driver was herding down the road by the oil on top of his boots and the cuff of his jeans. LOL. Truck Shop

  610. #610DMiller2018-02-02 06:53

    Damned if that don't bring back memories. I still remember the Freightliner warning, if headed into an accident, lift you feet, will cut you off at the knees! Fought the KW fall apart dash assemblies, the Corn Binder all black with EVER so tiny numbers and wiring diagrams on the heater box. International defined; Too fast for the Field, too slow for the Road, if it don't run paint it red and if still won't run chrome it!

  611. #611old-iron-habit2018-02-02 11:34

    I think they were trying to make people think they were as good as a Detroit.

  612. #612Junkyard2018-02-02 11:36

    You know I never considered that. Could be!

  613. #613Paystar2018-02-02 19:24

    He should just learn to shift and maybe then he won't prematurely wear his synchro's out. But the shifter explains it all, LOL.

  614. #614Paystar2018-02-02 19:30

    An old White Freightliner sitting in a friends yard. And no he won't part with it......I tried. Has a KT 450 Cummins with a brand new rebuild kit still in the box.

  615. #615Paystar2018-02-02 19:31

    A couple more pics.

  616. #616Truck Shop2018-02-02 20:12

    It's literally a dog house with a 60" spread and Minnesota Mag wheels aaaannnddd 4" stacks . Truck Shop

  617. #617crane operator2018-02-02 21:34

    White- Western Star anyone? How many companies did white have? https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1976-white-western-star-semi/6473268946.html 1976 western star semi. Recent rebuild on cummins engine and all good rubber starts and runs good. 13speed. $5950

  618. #618RZucker2018-02-02 21:39

    Kind of odd with left hand single exhaust.

  619. #619Paystar2018-02-02 22:03

    But back in the day that was some truck! look at the interior even....pretty classy for back then. Back when a Freightliner was a real truck.

  620. #620Paystar2018-02-02 22:07

    Now that's a real Western Star....not like the Daimler junk I have now. I'm probably missing some but through the years White has owned Western Star, Autocar, Freightliner, Euclid, Michigan, Minneapolis Moline, Cockshut, Diamond Reo, White Agricultural, White Power (power generation systems), etc. It is staggering to the mind how a company like that can go under with bad management.

  621. #621RZucker2018-02-02 22:31

    12 years ago I bought a similar old Freightliner for $1200, guy wanted $2500. It had a 425HP 1693 Cat I needed for another project. I lugged out 4 batteries and got her lit off, ran good but the mouse smell could gag a maggot. I cranked the heater up and told the owner "If you can sit in that cab for ten minutes... I'll give you the 2500." He didn't even try. I drove it home with my head out the window. 1693 went to a good home in a Kenworth. Freightliner went to scrap. FWIW, I think the Freightshaker was originally a Safeway foods truck, it did have red painted rims on the inside duals and a long day cab.

  622. #622mitch5042018-02-02 22:48

    I noticed that was once an Abitibi truck, is that why it has the funky front hubs? It looks like maybe they were made to protect the hub caps?

  623. #623RZucker2018-02-02 23:10

    Just a ring to step on. Seen it on other trucks.

  624. #624crane operator2018-02-03 07:30

    I've seen this too, where they just modify the cover into a step, that's a pretty big ring on the freightliner. Anything to make that cab easier to get into would help, they aren't user friendly.

  625. #625Truck Shop2018-02-03 07:36

    Always liked those Stars. But try and buy parts for one Western Star had no cab parts on hand and the elbows for twice pipes are super expensive. Truck Shop

  626. #626DMiller2018-02-03 08:34

    Must have been one of the last WF line or had cab work as has the later model door latches, most had the roll over exterior L-handle in that day. Man what a Rat's Nest!! That was a typical Midwest truck of the day. Hendrickson looks like 36 or 38,000 rears, Beat you to death AND back!

  627. #627colson042018-02-03 08:59

    Another one on the ol' craigslist: https://lansing.craigslist.org/grd/d/1971-international-4070-truck/6462485579.html

  628. #628Paystar2018-02-03 11:46

    Yes, those were steps. That was very popular around here back in the day. Manitoulin Transport runs a lot of Freightliner cabovers and they all had those. Here's some of their fleet new and past.

  629. #629RZucker2018-02-03 14:25

    In the early 80's when I was grain hauling, I ran with a guy that had a 4070, it was fire engine red with dual chrome everything and polished aluminum wheels and tanks. 400 sc Cummins and 5' straights. Pretty classy looking rig, people would tease him about the "Farmall" and he would say "Spotwelds are cheaper than rivets".

  630. #630JPV2018-02-03 15:56

    What is the story with all those axles on those Manitoulin trucks? Are they steer axles or steerable drop axles or fixed or what? I have seen trucks with dromedaries but nothing like those, pretty cool.

  631. #631Truck Shop2018-02-03 15:59

    I know what was running around in those days, I had my first ride in 1963 in a K100 cattle truck owned by Nello Pistoresi and I was riding with his son Corkey. I was eight at the time- with out a doubt Nello Pistoresi owned the jazziest, sharpest looking equipment on the west coast. The front cattle box and trailers all aluminum were built by REA fabrication here in Walla Walla where I live. Nello owned 25 cattle truck and trailer rigs at that time. They were painted white with maroon panels out lined by black and gold pin stripping with lots of polished chrome and aluminum wheels. I wish I had a photo. After that ride I never got away from big diesel cars. Truck Shop .

  632. #632Truck Shop2018-02-03 16:17

    I don't like high jacking someone photographic work but this is the only pic of a Pistoresi cattle truck to be found. The one I rode in was #8. Truck Shop

  633. #633RZucker2018-02-03 17:53

    I remember as a kid, going to the local cattle auction with my grandfather and there would always be 2 or 3 of those rigs there on auction day. Haul 'em in and haul 'em out.

  634. #634Truck Shop2018-02-03 19:36

    Here you go RZ there just aren't any of these left {like Zero} it only needs a 12v92 . And the price at $3,500 is real good they normally go for $7,000 in worse condition. Hell I'll throw in $1750. Truck Shop https://missoula.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1975-gmc-tandem-detroit-8v17/6452157903.html

  635. #635RZucker2018-02-03 21:46

    Wow. A single headlight long hood. Get a load of the original paint color on the doors. It does have the fancy trim panels on the doors, probably a really nice truck when it was new. And no... I really don't need a project like that.

  636. #636mitch5042018-02-03 22:08

    I've got one, a 1970 Chevy C90 with a 6-71 and a 9513, 34k on walking beams. I bought it 10 yrs ago from a man who drove it everyday and treated it like his favorite child. It runs and drives great, but the cab is about to fall off.

  637. #637Truck Shop2018-02-03 22:24

    Those C90's were few and far between. there were many more GMC models produced. There was a C90 that was auctioned on Big Iron this time last year and it went for 6,000. Truck Shop

  638. #638mitch5042018-02-03 23:20

    That blue one is even the same color as mine. Funny story, I seldom haul anything on the road with mine, but I keep tags and ins. on it mostly to move it. About 8 or 9 yrs ago, everything was real busy and a good customer was up against a hard deadline, so I sent 3 of my CH Mack tractors, ( 427/18 spd, 400/ 9 spd, 350/10 spd) and drove my C90 myself. Another outfit sent 4 brand new RDs, and we all took off in a line following a car to see where to dump our bricks. One of the guys in an RD called on the CB and said "put the old truck in the front or he'll get left and lost." We took off running a block at a time from red light to red light. The 6-71 stayed right with the car, and I was on the phone calling each turn back to one of my drivers who had a CB. The 4-strokes couldn't hang from 0-30, over and over again!

  639. #639Birken Vogt2018-02-04 01:08

    Drop center wheels all around it looks like too. That is a bonus.

  640. #640RZucker2018-02-04 22:06

    Yep, My old 9500 was a 1978 model and had 10.00x20 inch rubber on spoke wheels, I did convert the steer axle to Budd wheels with 22,5's on aluminum. Boy that rode so much better.

  641. #641old-iron-habit2018-02-05 20:35

    My only surviving picture of our 1968 9500 Series Jimmy is on page 7 of this thread, post 136. Trained my shifting arm on that 68 Jimmy and on a old 1959 Henderson tractor with a 190 Cummins and an air starter. I recently heard it had a wrecker body stuck on it and is setting in the woods not far from here. I am going to go try to find it when the weather improves.

  642. #642Junkyard2018-02-09 20:20

    Got my buddy's B81 out today to do some heavy lifting. Didn't NEED to use it but hey if ya got it Wyatt gives you a good idea of how much we had it pointin up.

  643. #643Truck Shop2018-02-09 20:28

    Great photos and that young master mechanic in front has a great smile too! Truck Shop

  644. #644Junkyard2018-02-09 20:32

    He can cheese it up pretty good lol. At the rate he's going he will be telling me how it's done before too long. Thanks

  645. #645old-iron-habit2018-02-09 22:25

    Where's the picture of the load end? Sure curious of what's hanging back there. Piggy Bank?

  646. #646Junkyard2018-02-09 22:43

    Nothin real exciting. JLG boomlift that needed a couple tires pulled off. Rather than try to jack in soft ground we took the wrecker for a spin.

  647. #647RZucker2018-02-11 15:59

    That Mack just makes me drool.

  648. #648Truck Shop2018-02-12 07:47

    https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1952-kenworth-bubble-nose/6473945844.html Truck Shop

  649. #649Junkyard2018-02-12 07:52

    It's a slick old truck. Before it was a wrecker it carried a mixer. I don't recall the name of the concrete company but it was owned by the Gambino family.....how many pairs of concrete shoes you reckon it poured lol

  650. #650RZucker2018-02-12 21:07

    Hard to believe that JLG would lift the front wheels like that. I know the lifts are heavy, but...

  651. #651Junkyard2018-02-12 21:10

    Part of it was the way we had the counterweight swung. When I put the wheels back on I had it sitting different and it wasn't near as heavy.

  652. #652Truck Shop2018-02-12 22:25

    That's always been a problem with short wheel base tow trucks very little leverage. Our tow at 300" with one of our tractors in tow from the rear axles leaves only 8,400 on the steers with full tanks of fuel. It weighs in at 27,000- right at 12,100 on the steer with full fuel tanks. It still steers good on ice though.

  653. #653Truck Shop2018-02-12 22:42

    The Sunday before last I left for Bozeman Mt to pick up one of ours that broke an input shaft upon using the Jake. Towed one over brought the dead one back. That's the 8th tow so far most were short only 200 miles round trip and one to Portland. So we spent the day cleaning her up between rigs coming in for repair. I found an easy way to remove the plastic resin cover over the KW emblem-aka Bug. Soak it in a can of Napa/Mac's 6402 carb cleaner for 14 hours and pry it up with a box knife and peel it right off. The chrome underneath will be like new, just mask it off and paint it. A new Bug cost about $140.00 . Truck Shop

  654. #654crane operator2018-02-15 20:52

    1968 peterbilt 359. 350 cummins, 9 speed and a 4 speed brownie. $7,500: Looks pretty clean for a old truck. https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1968-peterbilt-359-day-cab/6497584337.html

  655. #655Truck Shop2018-02-15 21:22

    I can't remember the brand name of that rear suspension on that 68 Pete you listed above but it's not Freightliner. Pete and Freightliner used that same suspension. In the mid to late sixties Pete used aftermarket. I will check my shop books tomorrow and find the name. I just remembered - New Way and it was crap. you couldn't keep it aligned the U-bolts would loosen up or break. I don't think you can even get parts for it anymore. Truck Shop

  656. #656crane operator2018-02-15 21:39

    Are the little clearance lights on the outer edge of the fenders factory? I've never seen them, but there's all kinds of things I've never seen before....

  657. #657RZucker2018-02-15 21:49

    I seem to remember my 1974 Pete had them. That was before they put side markers in the headlight housings. Mine had the big single round Dietz headlamps with the "Eyebrow" marker/park lights and no side markers.

  658. #658colson042018-02-16 15:57

    https://muskegon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1977-peterbilt-pacemaker/6498136046.html

  659. #659RZucker2018-02-16 21:44

    When I went grain hauling in the early 80's I had the choice of a Pete like this one or a GMC 9500 with an 8V-71... The GMC was $3,000 bucks less with a few thou less miles. "James" the GMC was very good to me for 290,000 fairly trouble free miles. I wish I could find some pics. It wasn't bad looking for an old Jimmy.

  660. #660old-iron-habit2018-02-18 22:10

    Did the 9500 have a sleeper on it. There was not many that did.

  661. #661RZucker2018-02-18 22:35

    Nope, no sleeper, It was pretty plain, It did have dual chrome stacks and horns. Plus a chrome grill and bumper.

  662. #662td25c2018-02-18 22:47

    Weldbuilt wrecker body ?

  663. #663Junkyard2018-02-19 04:39

    Yes sir. Simple but effective!

  664. #664td25c2018-02-19 21:18

    That's a really nice unit ! From a distance those Weldbuilt beds resemble the Holmes pretty close . I want to say they used Tulsa worm drive winches in the mast ?

  665. #665RZucker2018-02-19 22:12

    That's probably it. I knew it wasn't a 750, but couldn't put my finger on it. The drum drive just did not look Holmes to me. That's what had me confused. I have a bit (just enough to be dangerous) of experience with Holmes 650's and 750's to see the hoist works weren't the same. Plus the boom hoists aren't in the right place for a Holmes.

  666. #666old-iron-habit2018-02-20 22:36

    Damn, your tough. Drive a 9500 and have to nap in the seat to. Or did you have a short run.

  667. #667RZucker2018-02-20 23:06

    Two round trips per day that totaled about 400 miles, home in bed most nights. But I did have to sleep across the seats a few times, if you had your feet out the passenger window just far enough it wasn't bad. In cold weather... Motel 6.

  668. #668crane operator2018-02-22 20:23

    Homemade wrecker bed with only one winch, but its got green under the hood...... https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvd/d/1974-peterbilt-359-twin-screw/6504661462.html 1974 Peterbilt 359 twin screw wrecker towtruck, Detroit 671, 13 speed Eaton Fuller, Hendrickson suspension, all 10 new 11R 22.5 Goodyear tires, hydraulic 25 ton Tulsa winch, one owner actual low miles, MUST SEE condition, $13,900 cash, sorry no financing, possible trade up or down for land or towing equipment.

  669. #669crane operator2018-02-22 20:25
  670. #670RZucker2018-02-23 21:33

    I could use a rig like this to drag in dead farm trucks. A good selection of slip in tow hooks and most of the old beaters would be easy to grab on to. The boom rigging does puzzle me, the geometry is a little odd, I would expect at least a hand cranked multi part line to raise or lower the boom. The attachment points on the boom look like a bent boom waiting to happen to me.

  671. #671td25c2018-02-23 22:23

    Same thoughts RZ . Nice looking rig but no where close to a Holmes 750 bed .....

  672. #672crane operator2018-02-23 22:59

    I can hear the conversation: "Hey elmer, we need us one of them thar wrecker tow trucks to drag back them chicken trucks when they break down, lets get us one ofun them hol-mesess recker beds." Elmer: " hey we don't ned to spent that kinds of money fur un no high doller bed. We kun drag usn some scrap outun the pile and bilt us sumthin......... I've seen one un them beds, we kun bilt sumthin just liken it."

  673. #673crane operator2018-02-23 23:04

    Anybody bringing this home? Sold this week in orlando, 1946 peterbilt, brought over $57,000. Not in my budget.... Big cam, 13 speed, 3 speed aux, jakes. All the bells and whistles. 1946 PETERBILT 354 Day Cab Truck Tractor (T/A) Viewing 1 of 6 Sold for USD on Feb 23, 2018 (Day 5 of 6) in Orlando, FL, USA Lot # 5401 BID ON SITE, ONLINE OR BY PROXY. LEARN MORE Register to bid online Add to Watchlist Create new item alert More information Detailed equipment information More items like this Sell your equipment Auction site contact Share this: Print this page

  674. #674crane operator2018-02-23 23:07
  675. #675crane operator2018-02-23 23:14
  676. #676crane operator2018-02-24 08:15

    Might be a bit of a stretch to reach the trailer brake valve? Its clear over by the passenger window, not real well situated for a quick pull if the trailer was trying to come around on a slick road, with the jakes on? Maybe with the narrow cab its not really that far over there. And in the picture of the drivers side of the motor- what's the dog chain and lever for that goes to the front of the engine just behind the serpentine belt set up. I don't think I've ever seen that.

  677. #677td25c2018-02-24 08:54

    This was my first wrecker . 1967 Chevy C-30 with home built hydro bed . Small block 350 with 4 speed & 5.33 rears . Boom has an I beam inside it for manual extension . Hydro under lift hitch in the rear . 20,000 # Garwood winch & 1/2 inch rope .

  678. #678Bluox2018-02-24 09:32

    Compression release . Bob

  679. #679RZucker2018-02-24 12:07

    Yup, no Big Cam engine there. Looks like an early NTC350. I think the compression release died out around '74-75 when Cummins went to lower compression pistons and more turbo boost. I had a -74 Pete with an FFC 335 that still had a compression release when I bought it. After an extensive inframe it was no longer needed.

  680. #680Old Doug2018-02-24 21:12

    Thats diffrent theres several things they did that makes me wonder how much it was used. I know were there is a 69 for $500.00 with a nice bed but its missing its pto.

  681. #681td25c2018-02-24 22:31

    I know were there is a 69 for $500.00 with a nice bed but its missing its pto.[/QUOTE] The 69 sounds like a nice find Old Doug ! We still have the 67 in the fleet . The boom & rear under lift are actually live hydraulic , not off the PTO . Tied them in to the power steering pump on the 350 engine. Valve body mounted under the floor on the drivers side so the levers come up rite in front of the seat . Brazed a fitting on top of the pump to accommodate the suction line off the under hood hydro tank .[/ATTACH]

  682. #682Old Doug2018-02-25 09:59

    I looked at the 69 becauce my 67 GMC is about to bad to rebuild. I dont have alot of spare time or i would have bought it and sold the bed and made it into a single wheel one ton. It has a new paint job but hasnt run much in years so it probaly needs every thing.

  683. #683crane operator2018-02-25 14:13

    I knew someone would know what that lever was for. Thanks- I'm always up for learning something. So how does it release compression? Is it a "rack" inside the head, holding the valves? You guys opened a can of worms, now I want to know.... td25c, I bet that old pickup wrecker comes in handy. Does the power steering pump put out enough pressure with a load on the boom?

  684. #684Bluox2018-02-25 17:58

    That leaver is hooked to a shaft that goes thru the block ,over the camshaft.The intake or exhaust pushrod has a collar on it that matches a cut in the shaft. When the shaft turns it holds the push rod up keeping the valve open. Bob

  685. #685td25c2018-02-25 19:49

    It sure has been handy , I built it in 1991 . Power steering pump put's out around 1,000 psi . Most loads with the short boom like hauling a car or pickup on the sling it lifts fine . Boom extended it will stall out on lifting so we would position the boom first then lift with the winch . Been on many adventures with that truck

  686. #686RZucker2018-02-27 21:30

    I did a very similar setup on a Ford 1 ton in the 80's to run a small dump hoist. As long as they didn't load it too far to the front it worked great.

  687. #687td25c2018-02-27 22:01

    I got the Idea from a article In " Mother Earth News " . LOL ! https://www.farmshow.com/a_article.php?aid=7623

  688. #688RZucker2018-02-28 00:05

    Wow... Mother Earth News. I remember as a kid in the mid 70's listening to that on an old AM tube radio at 9pm or so. Lotsa interesting stuff.

  689. #689Old Doug2018-03-02 21:16

    I worked on a 1 ton that had a 12foot bed with a bigger hoist than it needed runing off the PS pump that worked great it would dump more than should have been hauled on the truck. I like mother earth news back in the 80s but like all good things they changed.

  690. #690Truck Shop2018-03-10 16:16
  691. #691td25c2018-03-11 22:08

    That would be a really cool place to visit ! https://goldkingmineghosttown.com/ Would love to get out that direction some time ..... http://www.tortillaflataz.com/ http://oldtucson.com/

  692. #692old-iron-habit2018-03-12 22:07

    Seen this one setting in a shop/ bone yard in Wisconsin.

  693. #693Truck Shop2018-03-15 19:23

    https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1978-kenworth-10-yard-dump/6530779496.html

  694. #694RZucker2018-03-15 21:11

    Nice... Good ol' 8v71.

  695. #695Labparamour2018-03-15 21:25

    I hate you guys! I’m still following that ‘68 Pete 359 that was posted here..... Darryl

  696. #696crane operator2018-03-15 21:46

    1985 autocar 3406, 13 speed, $4,300 (which isn't too bad a price I thought). And if anyone can figure out how the bumper is held on there, let me know, all I see is empty bolt holes. (welded a bracket on the backside?) Even comes with a milk crate for the passenger seat. https://joplin.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1985-auto-car/6526076934.html

  697. #697RZucker2018-03-15 22:55

    You need to come over to the dry side and we'll get Truck Shop to take us on a tour.

  698. #698Labparamour2018-03-16 11:58

    Hmm, it looks like there’s a road trip in my future!

  699. #699Truck Shop2018-03-16 18:48

    https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/hvo/d/1952-mack-van/6530573587.html

  700. #700Truck Shop2018-03-16 18:51

    There are a few I know of around here but most require windshield time. But I will show you what there is.

  701. #701Truck Shop2018-03-16 19:39

    Check the last post on the previous page.

  702. #702RZucker2018-03-16 20:22

    Had a neighbor years ago that had a very similar old Mack, rusty and ugly with a huge gas engine that used the old critter every harvest season to haul grain to his own bins. When he died the kids had it cut up for scrap. That and a bunch of other old cool iron.

  703. #703Wytruckwrench2018-03-16 20:56

    One of my older ones. I used to quick change, Long logger to tractor. Now she’s retired and gets to take it easy.

  704. #704crane operator2018-03-17 09:44

    My wheels are turning now: https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/wrecker/6533214191.html

  705. #705Junkyard2018-03-17 09:51

    Needs work. Boy I'll say. Those are some big rears though. Tocci sent me a few pics he found, pardon the screen snap nature of them. He's not real swift with his phone lol.

  706. #706Labparamour2018-03-17 11:49

    Oh, I’ve been following Both me and the trucks are probably better served by going to other folks. Too many projects already. Just like I always put too much on my plate at the buffets. However, I do love eastern WA and road trips. (In Yakima right now but in company truck) Darryl

  707. #707crane operator2018-03-17 11:51

    Are they 10' ?

  708. #708Labparamour2018-03-17 13:23

    I did happen upon this ol’ gal. I-6 gaspot, 5&4. Maybe someone’s trying to tell me something... Darryl

  709. #709Junkyard2018-03-17 13:46

    I'd bet they are. Those look to be 100k or so.

  710. #710crane operator2018-03-17 14:27

    Talked to the guy a little while ago. The winch is all a homemade gear / chain drive arrangement, you can some of it in the pictures of the drivers side. He's got some other old stuff and he's sending me some pictures. He's getting some measurements on the axles.

  711. #711Old Doug2018-03-17 21:47

    I live 3 miles from the truck it was parked were i could see it every day.

  712. #712crane operator2018-03-18 00:31

    I think the truck may have been a old mining truck. Owner says there's a tag underneath with 5.34 ratio on it. I imagine that's just ring and pinion ratio, and the planetary is after that. He says mack rears, they are on 16.00r24 rubber. Who knows what the finals may be with the planetary after that, could easily be a 10 or more. I was suprised too, he says its a big spring set up, not a ridgid walking beam. He says the last they used it was carrying a cone crusher out of a underground quarry. Said they had a great big rock set on the front end to keep it down. And another one chained under the front bumper. 11' wide on the rears though, but he thinks he may have a line on something else for me. Funny thing is, I've actually worked with the owners several years ago, setting up some quarry equipment here in town. It's a small world. And old doug has even seen it!

  713. #713Old Doug2018-03-18 11:37

    I worked for his dad years ago. I need to set down some time and write down what years i worked were but i think it was the late 80s early 90s.

  714. #714crane operator2018-03-18 13:03

    He said his dad was 84 now and starting to get rid of stuff. I think his dad was the one that came down here and set up that equipment.

  715. #715RZucker2018-03-18 14:03

    I can see that Mack with some new sheetmetal, a 12V92T and a set of Goldhofer trailers. Crane Operator will soon be the "Go-to" guy for massive heavy haul moves in the Midwest.

  716. #716Junkyard2018-03-18 19:05

    I just so happen to know a feller to run that setup......been trained by the best in the world as a matter of fact......

  717. #717Truck Shop2018-03-18 21:20

    Today's finds- the Star is a 68 sort of rare. The Kenworth 1953, the C cab Kenworth 1927.

  718. #718Truck Shop2018-03-18 21:26

    And some more finds today-B75 with W45 recovery unit and a 1936 REO. The Mack Fire truck there was only one built supposedly.

  719. #719Truck Shop2018-03-18 21:31

    And a few more, the mixer is factory Cat powered with 5X4

  720. #720Birken Vogt2018-03-18 22:45

    What engine, 1160 or whatever V8? Hard to imagine a big 6 in that engine compartment with that short (low) hood but I have never looked at one of those up close.

  721. #721RZucker2018-03-18 22:48

    So how many of these owners would be cool with you bringing some interested lookie-loos by to see this stuff up close? Lotta stuff there I would like to see... And well, my F250 can seat 5 or 6.

  722. #722RZucker2018-03-18 22:51

    Every one of those Fords I've seen had an 1160 in it. I have replaced an 1160 in one with a 32Y 3208 made a nice farm truck.

  723. #723Truck Shop2018-03-19 07:29

    I couldn't keep the hood up and take a picture at the same time but the mixer had what looked like a small inline six cylinder Cat. I don't think any of the owners would care, the one place with the star is a real dump.

  724. #724farmerlund2018-03-19 10:10

    So I was working in the office last evening, and the movie Maximum Overdrive was on the tv. I was not really paying attention to it until I noticed there are quite a few older trucks used in it.. Old macks, freightliners, IH. I finally had to look at what year it was made. 1986, yes the movie is pretty bad, but it does have some cool old trucks in it. Kind of like watching smokey and the bandit for the trucks.

  725. #725RZucker2018-03-19 16:31

    Every once in awhile I watch those movies for the same reason (old trucks). The Road Warrior is a good one too (Air start in the middle of nowhere?)

  726. #726Truck Shop2018-03-19 16:38

    Now for the rest of my finds. The red and white 4070 Int is 8v71, the orange 4000 is Cummins aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd the red and black 4090 Int is 12v71 with SSHD's on 46,000 lb walking beam. That's an odd ball, she wasn't a Corn Queen to mess with in her day.

  727. #727Truck Shop2018-03-19 16:43

    Detroit's laying everywhere one train car had several laying inside with fresh paint-been there for years. There's a truck under those berry bushes, don't know what it is.

  728. #728Birken Vogt2018-03-19 17:01

    Truck version of a D333 maybe?

  729. #729DMiller2018-03-19 18:48

    Giant Aluminum boat anchors with steel doors and most only 45 degree cab lifts. DD's makes even more fun to play in them. Get up too early be REALLY groggy as arrive at the Corn Queen, unlock and open door, insert hand, slam door at LEAST three times, pull bleeding stub up the grab handles, miss the door step and bust a shin, ALMOST ready to roll!! Start the smoker, let it warm slightly, get a good sip of hot coffee burn your lip NOW are ready to slam and shift!! If it Don't run Paint it Red, Still won't run Chrome it. Too fast for the Field, Too slow for the Road, GO International!! Can STILL remember when PIE (Pig Iron Express) In SLC got a delivery of NEW K100 KW's with 12V's in them, yard man hooked them up to triple sets and let them warm for the initial run, the first two did not make the yard gate when they turned and a trailer corner knocked the air compressors off, The remaining units sat for two weeks as the engineers did the math and stretched frames by a foot while moving the fixed fifth wheels back four inches. Was a Great Day for PIE!!

  730. #730RZucker2018-03-19 23:35

    Of course I like the one with the 12V71... But the orange one is a really early model... possibly mid 60's. Check out the cab markers and vents. The lower cab trim is another giveaway... Not sure, but I think the chrome grille and bumper are from a newer truck. She's old but straight.

  731. #731Truck Shop2018-03-20 07:42

    That orange one is a 69 the red and white a 75 and the red and black a 77 the yellow and green is a 64.

  732. #732td25c2018-03-20 07:50

    They look to be restorable , pretty good shape yet for setting outside .

  733. #733DMiller2018-03-20 17:17

    The two Earlier units(Under door steps are the absolute giveaway) are called 4070A series, the later one a 4070B. The Emeryville COE would be the winner for a restore job.

  734. #734Former Wrench2018-03-20 17:55

    I can still remember cussing the Cornbinder engineers back in the 70"s when I worked for the Detroit shop. It seemed if there was a way to design something so it could not be reached easily, they figured it out. The older COE ones with the little running board above the tire were the worst.

  735. #735Truck Shop2018-03-20 18:09

    The later red and black one is not a 4070B. That model is a 4090 designating big power and heavy specs.

  736. #736Truck Shop2018-03-20 18:45
  737. #737DMiller2018-03-20 21:16

    Needs an exhaust hood!! All that loose fuel in there could cause a runaway! And that would be a 4070A cab. Had two customers years ago with 8V71T 350hp engines 4070B 1975 units. Dead of summer 102 in the shade with no shade and the trucks fresh off the road they would STILL smoke like that!! One had such a bad cooling system management that we would see it when WE Bond would notice it eating coolant or growing oil. Pull the heads, pull the cylinder kits, cork the block water jacket holes and filled with a mix of alcohol and water, find the burn through holes in the sleeve bores, drill, tap and nickel rod with epoxy then rehone and retry the test until caught them all.

  738. #738RZucker2018-03-20 22:19

    The only thing that would be more fun than an old IH with a Detroit, would be an old IH with a Detroit and spoke wheels and air start.

  739. #739DMiller2018-03-21 07:14

    Been there done that!! 1974 5000 Paystar, 12V71 5x4 on Eaton 54k rears, one SINGLE 12V car battery and a IR Air Start system, had 12.00x24s(split rims) on spokes dragging a two axle jeep with the same tires. Was at the Mississippi lime quarry shops, they used it for moving the crusher plant from quarry to quarry!! Straight stacks and a helper/mechanic truck ('76 IH Fleetstar F2050)with a 6V71 also with straight stacks and ALSO had IR air starter!. Many times heard that old witch pair winding up coming up the grade out of the St.Charles hole, sometimes with me in the second truck!! I believe it ran three weeks a year the rest of the time sitting and growing dust. Sounded wild but never broke any speed records other than for shifting Up and Down!

  740. #740RZucker2018-03-21 16:57

    I used to have a contract welder guy that had an Emeryville CO like that with a welding bed on it, Had a 6-71 and a 400 amp Lincoln with a 2-71 Detroit. It was about 2 feet shorter than a standard longbox pickup and could squeeze into some really tight spots. Probably rode like crap though.

  741. #741RZucker2018-03-21 17:05

    Used to take care of a fleet that was all air start (10 trucks) If the systems were maintained well they weren't bad. In the winter they just "jump started" with air. 185 cfm air compressor to save time. I got them to stock one of all the air valves and a spare starter, if the valves didn't leak and the starter was in good condition they always fired up. Priming a dry fuel system could be a challenge without big air.

  742. #742DMiller2018-03-21 17:10

    No doubt. These two behemoths had the mufflers on the starters removed, lead driver would shut it off at stops thru towns, try to catch the tourists too close and light them up! When we serviced these and/or changed anything fuel would connect in a cheap electric fuel pump manually priming them up.

  743. #743Truck Shop2018-03-21 17:12

    http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/espinosa6.htm

  744. #744DMiller2018-03-21 17:18

    Nice page, many would not remember or know IHC a F in front of cab series sequence meant Tandem. CO4070 or COF4070 single or tandem.

  745. #745DMiller2018-03-21 17:32

    A face only a mother or a Enganear could love:

  746. #746RZucker2018-03-21 17:37

    Wow... the Transtar 400. Drove one of those in high school hauling grain to Cargill in Burbank, two loads a day after school. It had an 8V-71 with a 16 speed Spicer 4x4 air shift, Had to be the worlds ugliest truck... AKA the Woodpecker special, Woody sold tons of those things up here.

  747. #747DMiller2018-03-21 17:40

    International built some FUGLY Machines in their time.

  748. #748RZucker2018-03-21 17:44

    I had a Paystar 6X6 with a 10 ton RO crane on it that looked a lot like that. 6-71 with a 9513 trans, thing would only do 50 mph, but in 6x6 would climb trees.

  749. #749RZucker2018-03-21 19:58

    "C" series pickups in the early 60's?

  750. #750Truck Shop2018-03-22 07:15

    Those International Paystar's were great looking trucks compared to this ruby.

  751. #751RZucker2018-03-22 20:20

    That is... Umm... well... Interesting?

  752. #752Truck Shop2018-03-23 08:22

    I remember seeing this 1967 KW in Sacramento in 1970. It hauled a frozen whale as a parking lot side show called Little Irvy.

  753. #753Birken Vogt2018-03-23 10:59

    I have never seen whitewall tires like that before.

  754. #754Truck Shop2018-03-23 17:09

    That's why I posted it, I like to post unusual trucks. It was if not the first one of the first show truck semi's ever. The inside was all diamond tuck and custom chrome. The owner Malone let me set in the drivers seat when I saw it in 1970.

  755. #755RZucker2018-03-23 21:45

    IIRC, those 20" whitewalls were just rings that were mounted between the tire bead and rim flange... I think I remember reading that somewhere. I think...

  756. #756old-iron-habit2018-03-23 22:17

    I was going to say the same thing. I remember them as being like a flap/sidewall that you inserted before airing up the tire.

  757. #757Truck Shop2018-03-23 23:15

    Those fake white walls were called {micky's}. But I remember looking those tires over real good because at that age I thought those were Micky's. But the tires on that truck at that time were real white walls. In those day's white walls were still popular and I suppose tire companies would do a special order unlike today. The trouble with the fakes- micky's was air would get between them and the sidewall and bend them out-loose micky's looked like hell setting or moving.

  758. #758Junkyard2018-03-23 23:29

    Good ole roof mount A/C. Numb right shoulder and a hot left one

  759. #759Labparamour2018-03-24 10:23

    Truck Shop, You have a great collection of photos! I'm really enjoying all the pics members are posting. Have a great weekend, all! Darryl

  760. #760RZucker2018-03-24 14:17

    I'm sure the fakes could have been bonded on at the factory by special order. Probably much easier than making a custom white wall. Just barnstorming. I remember in high school, a buddy's father was a Bandag rep and he claimed they would cap anything including my dirt bike tires.

  761. #761Truck Shop2018-03-24 21:10

    Actually the first tires were all white then black carbon was added to make them black. White wall tires are not hard to make it's just nobody want's them any more. Some reading on the subject. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewall_tire

  762. #762Truck Shop2018-03-24 22:02
  763. #763Crummy2018-03-24 22:36

    There was a guy here that built old school street rods (we called him "Surfer Bruce") & he'd put the 'ol BFG TA raised white letter tires in a big lathe and turn them into fatty whitewalls.

  764. #764DMiller2018-03-25 06:48

    I do not believe I would cut a sidewall on a lathe, there is a certain engineered level of thickness I would exact to keep!! To each his own.

  765. #765Truck Shop2018-03-25 18:21

    Well I did some checking with some Mack collectors and they don't know what the 85U stands for in the serial number but it was the first one made of that model. They will run it through Mack archives to find out. Chassis # 85-US-1001--85U

  766. #766RZucker2018-03-25 18:56

    You don't even have to do that... My F-250 has 35" tires with white letters, the former owner curbed the right front so many times it turned whitewall. I have since turned ALL the tires black side out. If those stupid big tires weren't almost perfect new they would be gone for tires 2 sizes smaller. Tire dealer wont give me crap for a trade in because of the messed up sidewalls.

  767. #767DMiller2018-03-25 20:43

    When I worked for Mack in the 70's the Cities surrounding generally had a few Bulldog fire trucks, B cabs, R cabs even the lowly low cab forwards but as to each they were all Unique in equipment, layouts, specs, could have two delivered same day and be as different as night and day, just so Wrong!!

  768. #768Truck Shop2018-04-06 21:41

    Some stiff legs I have been working on for our tow truck. Just some parts and pieces for now, will start welding the upper legs to the mounts next week. Truck Shop

  769. #769DMiller2018-04-07 09:18

    Just pin type or adding cylinders?

  770. #770RZucker2018-04-07 13:45

    The way TS is building them, I'm pretty sure they will be hydraulic. I've actually seen this rig and it's very well thought out.

  771. #771Truck Shop2018-04-07 20:42

    Thanks RZ ,you know me better than I do . Truck Shop

  772. #772DMiller2018-04-07 21:11

    Steel on steel in the tube or adding slip pads? Most of the outriggers on the machines I worked had glide pads in them. Who formed the tube halves for you?

  773. #773RZucker2018-04-07 21:43

    Well, we think along the same lines.

  774. #774Truck Shop2018-04-07 22:41

    Local machine shop and friend of mine formed them. There set up with only a 1/16 gap to keep them straight on full extension. When I need metal formed or info Precision Machine is the only place I go. He and his dad built the first automated grape harvesters under the name Pic Ryte. They also manufactured pea and bean harvesters, shipped them all over the U.S. They built tons of these stiff legs for a variety of different machines through the years. But these I designed myself because of the custom fit to the tow truck. Truck Shop

  775. #775DMiller2018-04-08 08:42

    Very nice set up when complete.

  776. #776RZucker2018-04-08 21:12

    Last week I welded the tandem pivot back into a Pick-Rite Poo flinger... wasn't sure if it was theirs or somebody else. Judging by the spelling it's not theirs.

  777. #777Truck Shop2018-04-08 21:29
  778. #778RZucker2018-04-08 21:55

    Yep, googled the name, and this one is out of Pennsylvania. they do make a great spreader.

  779. #779crane operator2018-04-10 21:09

    Teaser pictures:

  780. #780crane operator2018-04-10 21:12

    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1959-autocar-truck/6557313974.html 1959 autocar. 262 cummins with jakes, some kind of 2 stick. Wants $7,500

  781. #781crane operator2018-04-10 21:15
  782. #782Truck Shop2018-04-10 21:38

    That's a DC 102 TL Autocar, not many of those left. One of my favorites But he is asking way too much. That truck will need a ton of damn fine body work. I would hate to see behind the windshield gasket, those cab's had bad problems with rot in that area. But it's still a cool old critter . Thanks for sharing. Truck Shop

  783. #783Truck Shop2018-04-10 21:43

    Together and painted, will bolt them on tomorrow. Notice the nice paint booth . Truck Shop

  784. #784RZucker2018-04-10 22:43

    I see the rails, I know where that is at.

  785. #785DMiller2018-04-11 06:24

    Old frame straightening shop? Very nice work and Awesome pics of the old Spartan REAL trucks.

  786. #786DMiller2018-04-11 06:26

    I am curious as to the bolting standoffs, cover shields to add on?

  787. #787Truck Shop2018-04-11 07:38

    The shop I work in was a old Cat House years ago. When they poured the floor they put rail road rail in with pockets for chaining things down and to keep the tracks from eating up the concrete. At one time there were more D6 Cat's around here than anywhere. Covers to protect the Zerk fittings Truck Shop

  788. #788RZucker2018-04-11 19:18

    The day we came down to see the tow rig, just after we left I remembered being in there when it was still Cat sometime in the 70's. Dad had some old dinosaur Cat that needed some old gizmo that they actually had in stock. Oh... I think I just saw the tow rig westbound on I-90 post 158 about an hour ago, just got a glimpse so I may be wrong and there was no spare tractor on the lift. I was lighting a smoke and almost missed it. Bad habit.

  789. #789DMiller2018-04-11 19:44

    Makes sense. We had two truck shops that had rails cast into the floors, used them for tie downs for frame straightening work. For all the good it actually did we stopped doing it and filled the gaps on the rails to floor with concrete. Nice protective measure BTW.

  790. #790RZucker2018-04-11 20:39

    I worked in a shop with I beams embedded in the floor below floor level with nice covers for them when not in use. When you wanted to jack and push on a truck or trailer it was great to have. Without the flush covers it would have been a major PITA to have open all the time.

  791. #791Truck Shop2018-04-11 21:25

    Installed them this morning, Haven't hooked up hydraulics yet going to wait for the winch and do everything at once. Besides I have to install another Prince stack valve for winch operation. That wasn't our rig RZ it's playing hanger queen in the shop out of the rain. And that's me, the shop help said there should be a photo of me standing by it, so there it is. Truck Shop

  792. #792RZucker2018-04-11 21:46

    It sure looked like it. But 3 weeks ago I saw a Blue frieghtshaker that was similar to yours dragging an old dirty thing. May have been the same one. Like I said... A glimpse. Are you guys running any flat decks? saw a really top cabin B-train behind a Coronado with the grey fenders that looked a lot like your newer ones, couldn't make out the name on the door.

  793. #793Junkyard2018-04-11 21:54

    Funny thing I saw a picture in the post office the other day.....

  794. #794Truck Shop2018-04-11 21:57

    It would have to be one of our old Classics, haven't sold any Coronados yet. But in a month there will be about eight going up for sale. 550 hp DDEC IV Series 60. Truck Shop

  795. #795Truck Shop2018-04-11 22:00

    Yeah I'm pretty ugly, but you should hope you look that good when you are my age. Truck Shop

  796. #796Junkyard2018-04-11 22:05

    There's no hope for me!

  797. #797crane operator2018-04-11 22:51

    So will the winch go between the tandems, or more up by the cab? I'm assuming a little boom head/ sheave mounted to the top of the lift tower? I'm also guessing the winch is to drag a dead one out from under the trailer so you can swap tractors. I got to use my old winch truck the other day to pull my rt out of a mean hole, so I keep dreaming about wreckers, but I haven't got myself fired up about a 2 am call on a accident/ breakdown. I just can't see myself making it to a crane job the next day if I work all night. Doesn't mean I still don't look at them. This one showed up the other day, and I thought about going and looking. https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/heavy-duty-wrecker/6547205721.html 1984 Marmon heavy duty tow truck, has 400 big Cummins engine, 13 speed fuller transmission, fuller rear ends, spring suspension, 11R 24.5 tires, front tires 90%, back tires 50%, 20 ton telescope body, wheel lift, dual winch, ready to work, everything works $35,000

  798. #798RZucker2018-04-11 23:06

    That is one truck I have no experience with, I've heard good and bad about Marmons but never actually touched one. They are good looking rigs.

  799. #799Truck Shop2018-04-11 23:07

    The winch will right behind the headache rack and the cable support sets on top of main carriage body with lift tilted down when in use. That Marmon is nice looking But if your looking to buy one a 35 ton boom capacity is the lowest rating to buy for recovery. Truck Shop

  800. #800DMiller2018-04-12 20:29

    Very nice completed project there TS, VERY Impressed!

  801. #801Truck Shop2018-04-13 20:10

    Thank you. Truck Shop

  802. #802Truck Shop2018-04-15 21:42

    Little on the high side but someone will bite on this one because it's very complete and possibly very little rust. B73 https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/older-model-mack-water-truck/6551120363.html Truck Shop

  803. #803RZucker2018-04-15 22:33

    Now I can build up that service truck you drew up for me.

  804. #804Truck Shop2018-04-16 19:10

    The water tank and pump are worth $4,500 to $5,000 on the ground. https://reno.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1965-peterbilt/6536509788.html Truck Shop

  805. #805DMiller2018-04-16 19:57

    Love the old Needle nose conventionals

  806. #806RZucker2018-04-16 21:54

    Except for those double bubble headlights. Ewww.

  807. #807Truck Shop2018-04-16 22:29

    My old 66 had twins from day one. At night you appreciated them. If I had that one I might even add a whole other set just below the lights that are there, Just to bug people . Truck Shop

  808. #808RZucker2018-04-16 23:14

    My old '74 had the big singles with the "eyebrow" markers, a nice set of Hella replacement halogens lit things up quite nicely, Ahem... I'm not sure if the bulbs I used were exactly legal. Brick walls with holes burnt through them comes to mind.

  809. #809DMiller2018-04-17 18:44

    Buddy of mine managed to get Aviation lamps for his high beam (KW 2 lamp sets). Was fine until a cop was nearly flash blinded by them where his handgun butt did them in and the ticket for improper devices written. Something about five times the candle power and a damn near straight beam.

  810. #810RZucker2018-04-17 21:54

    My current large service truck is an ex UP railroad hi rail truck with a pair of those as rear headlights they used when doing high speed reverse moves on the rails (ten speed that will travel fast in reverse high range) they work really well on high beam tailgaters.

  811. #811terex herder2018-04-22 08:35

    I stopped at a truck show in Newton, Kansas yesterday. Uninspiring weather, but a few neat old trucks. View attachment 180283

  812. #812DMiller2018-04-22 09:59

    The old Diamond is similar to the 1957 wrecker I drove. Love the old wagons, great shots.

  813. #813Truck Shop2018-04-22 13:10

    Nice photos-thanks for sharing! That Mack at the top looks like a B67. Truck Shop

  814. #814Truck Shop2018-04-22 13:33

    Pretty darn straight. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/hvo/d/1952-kenworth-oil-spreader/6568183047.html Truck Shop

  815. #815Truck Shop2018-04-22 13:49

    Another fender flopper https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hvo/d/1958-kenworth-cc-925/6560125972.html Truck Shop

  816. #816terex herder2018-04-22 13:51

    Yes, the Mack says B67 under the Mack logo on the hood.

  817. #817DMiller2018-04-22 14:28

    Have to love remembering the day of working across fenders under Gull Wing hoods. Used to own a LOT of fender covers, mats, blankets you name it to keep from scratching them OR Me! And the '58, Torsion ride, ZOWIE!

  818. #818Wytruckwrench2018-04-22 21:40

    I had the pleasure of working on a 1948 Peterbilt today. Didn’t have time to take pictures.

  819. #819Truck Shop2018-04-23 19:15

    She isn't quite like the one I drew for RZ but shes real straight and in good condition. https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/hvo/d/1958-vintage-mac-service-truck/6547595710.html Truck Shop

  820. #820crane operator2018-04-23 19:36

    That's quite the old mack, you didn't put up the best picture, the one of the homemade crane. Looks like a 12 v winch and check out the slack adjuster rotation swing gear. Looks like the 12 v winch does boom up and down, and the winch for the block must be down in the box on the bottom. The winch line must run up the center of the rotation pipe. Its got quite the hose reel set up on it too., and a old lincoln hiding on the other side. It was quite the truck when someone set it up. And just because I'm not up on old mack's, what's the banjo like thing on the bottom of the exhaust stack on the passenger side? Some kind of muffler?

  821. #821RZucker2018-04-23 19:57

    The base of that crane looks a lot like one of the old "Pacific" cranes built in Seattle in the 60's and 70's, Original models did not have that much boom, and only a winch to lift. Boom elevation and was a manual operation. The few I've seen only had 4-5' booms. The spiral exhaust attachment is an old school spark arrestor.

  822. #822crane operator2018-04-23 20:06

    That was my other guess, but I didn't think with the tall stack there would be that much danger of a spark, but we're not in real forest fire territory either.

  823. #823DMiller2018-04-23 20:06

    Now that is worth the cash!! The spark arrester is well worth the money and ugliness, AHEM, I set the dyno exhaust hood at Mack St. Louis afire with a brute as this in 1977. Don't ask how.

  824. #824RZucker2018-04-23 20:18

    The US Forest Circus required a spark arrestor on unmuffled trucks, In the day this old Mack probably had a straight pipe exhaust from the factory, the early Schwitzer turbos I've seen on older Macks were labeled "Noise Abatement Device" Those trucks had no muffler.

  825. #825Truck Shop2018-04-23 21:24

    Oh I posted the best picture alright, that crap behind the cab would be in a scrap yard real fast. Earth moving equipment should be moved to a shop for all service needs. Especially D10's, mega scrapers and the largest track hoe's. Truck Shop

  826. #826Truck Shop2018-04-23 21:34

    Slightly rough around the edges but for this price who cares. https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/70s-white-semi-truck/6567498540.html Truck Shop

  827. #827RZucker2018-04-24 00:15

    Yep, just run it up on the Donahue behind a 1 ton Dodge and make a quick trip to the shop.

  828. #828Truck Shop2018-04-24 06:40

    Well according to Guts, Glory, Ram owners and by the ads on tv those dodges will tow anything. Those are monster trucks you know. Truck Shop

  829. #829Crummy2018-04-24 08:30
  830. #830crane operator2018-04-24 19:42

    Shoot, that old mack has dreams of a fleet of twin engine euclids with some two stroke noise to take care of. 10 or 12 on a highway cut would be just about right.

  831. #831DMiller2018-04-24 19:45

    I'd be asking if the Bulldog behind it ran.

  832. #832Old Doug2018-04-24 20:27

    Theirs a guy selling off some of his Grandpaws stuff that i did alot of work for years ago. He has a GMC crakerbox single axle 6 71 with a5and a 2 speed and a Freightliner 70s with a 6v92 13 speed that i would like to have but i need to down size so i am staying far away from him and his Grandpaws piace.

  833. #833RZucker2018-04-24 21:00

    I think I was on that job years ago,

  834. #834Truck Shop2018-04-24 22:12

    Well the first thing I would do is disconnect the batteries and stop those nightmares . She would look good with twin 6"X7'6" stacks, D-Cool visor, chrome not aluminum wheels. Chrome radiator shell, twin Grover horns and bus lights. Painted Gloss Black setting in a park with two nice young ladies polishing on her . How's that for dreaming. Truck Shop

  835. #835RZucker2018-04-24 22:27

    I have to agree with this...

  836. #836jim-in-so-ore2018-04-25 00:11
  837. #837jim-in-so-ore2018-04-25 00:14
  838. #838jim-in-so-ore2018-04-25 00:30

    If you look at craigslist/medford oregon you will find a whole bunch of Bob Jacks equipment,that Mack water truck, the Western Star and many many more. It is all listed with a landline number and says Jacksonville. He was a logger here in the Rogue Valley. One weekend all of his log trucks were fire bombed, this was late 70s or early to mid 80s. After that they got into hauling freight, lumber and related stuff. We had a lot of extreme greenies doing that kind of stuff around here at that time I don't remember if any one was ever caught. I'd like to go over there and just wander through all of that old iron just for grins. Jim

  839. #839Truck Shop2018-04-25 07:13

    I was through there in the early 90's on a motorcycle trip and I think I had seen those rigs before. Most of my bike trips were spent looking for old critter trucks. Truck Shop

  840. #840crane operator2018-04-25 22:25

    Don't see many of these. But I don't see anyone giving him $7,500 for it either. 1975 Long nose Chevy. 318 V8 Detroit. 13 speed. 15 ft bed in excellent condition with air tailgate and shaker. Tag axle. Hendrickson walking beam suspension. New Steer tires. Pindle hitch for trailer. Everything working. Truck is in good mechanical shape https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1975-long-nose-chevy-dump/6571502214.html

  841. #841Truck Shop2018-04-25 22:52

    They didn't make that many CM90 model Chevy's. This GMC 9500 has been for sale for awhile now for 3,500. Truck Shop

  842. #842RZucker2018-04-26 00:03

    Really... I don't need this. But it would be cool with a 12V71 stuffed in there, a set of 6" pipes with baffles, and... Stop the insanity!!!

  843. #843Birken Vogt2018-04-26 01:20

    That's quite the tag axle on there.

  844. #844Mother Deuce2018-04-26 03:52

    Makes me think of Coast Transport and (If I remember correctly Zillah Transport as well) back in the 70's it seems they had cornered the remaining late 40's early 50's narrow noses and were running them up and down I-5

  845. #845Truck Shop2018-04-26 07:38

    Good ol'e Coast Transport, Zilla and Leanardo. Truthfully after someone cut their teeth driving for those outfits they could drive anything. Truck Shop

  846. #846crane operator2018-04-26 07:53

    Come on Birken, 4 axles is 4 axles. You just know somewhere there''s a boat trailer frame with no axle under it any more.

  847. #847Truck Shop2018-04-26 19:03

    1943 Federal with either a Hercules or Continental engine, I think it's a model 25. https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1943-federal-dumptruck/6543403003.html Truck Shop

  848. #848Truck Shop2018-04-26 19:34

    Always liked the early 60's Kw with the fiberglass hood. This one has a good wheel base and not bad condition, a good example. https://helena.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1961-kw/6569821493.html Truck Shop

  849. #849RZucker2018-04-26 19:57

    there was a guy in Quincy that had a 60 or 61 KW wide nose tilt with some old Cummins V-8 turbo at 430HP, I was told it WAS NOT a 903 but some early precursor to the 903 and no parts were available. I never saw the engine. Truck had been a heavy haul rig originally with ramps and a big Tulsa winch.

  850. #850DMiller2018-04-26 20:10

    Remember the old Diamonds with the 1/2" thick Royalex hoods? Those were different.

  851. #851RZucker2018-04-26 20:12

    No joke... Back in the early '80s I was at a grain elevator in Pasco Wa. and a guy comes in from Idaho with a truck and full trailer with a 2,000 LB trailer axle in front of the rear trailer axle. It had one airbag in the center and 14" tires but he said it gave him another 6K gross, they didn't weigh individual axles in Idaho then. And heavy and hard to repair.

  852. #852Truck Shop2018-04-26 21:52

    That engine was only built IIRC in 59-60 or 60-61. There is a guy out in Touchet that has a International collection north of town that has a Model 405 conventional i think is a 59 with a early rare Cummins V8. I have seen the engine and he told me Cummins had trouble with them heating up, he told me the model of the engine but I can't remember. I will have to stop by his place and get a photo of it. Truck Shop

  853. #853RZucker2018-04-26 22:38

    There used to be (late '70s) a farm chemical company in Pasco that had 2 early needl noses with 765(?) Cummins V8s I think that was the same engine the M-123 military 10 ton truck used. What a pile of... The engine kit was 10K from Cummins and it was a total PITA to tune, be very careful on your turns and MARK everything you had adjusted. Somewhere there is a DOD procurement officer living on a beach getting a monthly check from Cummins for specifying that junk engine in the M-123. Although the original engine was a Le Roi V8 gasser. The rest of the truck was total Mack.

  854. #854Mother Deuce2018-04-27 03:52

    Found this... and this www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwCYiQwVfzE sort of makes you romantic for 50 years ago in a needle and shutters sort of way.

  855. #855DMiller2018-04-27 07:39

    Was always referred to as the 900 cu inch with the three working cylinders around here as to 90nothin's, rattle rattle thunder clatter Boom Boom Boom, always think 903 when heard that commercial. Had two at the quarry where most of the time they sat as the drivers despised them. Had a sod farm with SIX V(NOT VT)555's in GMC 6500's, oil leaking rattling GUTLESS little engines that Liked fuel A LOT. We ended up replacing them in the mid 80's with 6V71's where they are STILL running. That guy also bought GM 8.2L Fuel Pincher Diesels thinking they were sweet(at first) as his 555 choice.

  856. #856Truck Shop2018-04-27 18:06

    One place I worked years ago had one 903 and the driver called it a Mel Tillis motor, he said it stuttered. Truck Shop

  857. #857Old Doug2018-04-27 19:39

    There was some guys hauling grain in end dumps that had car front hubs with car rear coilsprings under there trailers one on each side not hooked to a axle they were on swing arms i would see them and wonder how they didnt tear them off turning on ruff ground.

  858. #858RZucker2018-04-27 20:24

    I think I have converted six old Versatile articulated tractors from 903's to 855 inlines. One outfit was replacing an engine a year, buying junk trucks with the 903. I also converted several of the M-123 trucks to run an 855 instead of that crap V-8 they used. The flywheel was the key to make it all work with the push type Mack clutch, Cummins 21010 was the p/n I think.

  859. #859Mother Deuce2018-04-28 04:31

    I worked for an oil company for a little bit, about a 1000 years ago. They were enchanted with 903's. Out of 10 trucks 8 of them were 903's. On start up cold they made just a little less smoke then a brush fire. 7 of them were fairly typical... just would not get out of their own way. (however it did give the driver a fair amount of time to enjoy the flora and fauna on Hwy 2 from Skykomish to Stevens summit) One would really run. (perhaps it thought it was in a boat) it was a pleasure to drive. A 74 Pete needle, I used to really enjoy listening to it's weird exhaust note.

  860. #860RZucker2018-04-29 00:17

    The old V-6 Cummins supplied to Ford in the mid/late '60s was junk too. I think it was the 504 with 2 cylinders sawed off. Saw one in an F700 that needed half a can of nose candy to start and killed every bug in a two mile radius with eye burning white smoke.

  861. #861RZucker2018-04-29 00:34

    I remember when Haney in Yakima loved Peterbilt day cab cabovers with 903's. They didn't have much luck selling off surplus trucks back then. I was told they had a pile of 903's on pallet skids in the day. I did buy two 1986 Volvos from Haney, but they had 3406B Cats. Hey... 2800 bucks, you cant go wrong. Those trucks were thrashed and I wasn't go to treat them any better.

  862. #862Mother Deuce2018-04-29 06:24

    Haney... I remember those trucks. Brader had those day cab Petes too with the ribbon paint scheme...I ended up with a take out 903 high miler on a pallet for the price of picking it up. I sold the turbo to some guy that called me nearly out of breath he was so happy to hear I had one. The heads went to Ballard and were destined to go fishing after recon. The block with crank went away to someone looking for crank. That 903 was good to me as a parting last experience

  863. #863Truck Shop2018-04-29 07:49

    Before it was Haney it was Easley/Zyhold and they are the ones that bought a bunch of 903's. The Zyhold half of the company had a bunch of early Western Stars. The Easley side of the company mainly Kenworths with 855's. Brader had Petes some with the sleeper above the cab on a bunch of C.O.E.s that were truck-trailer set-ups that were tin can haulers. Truck Shop

  864. #864Mother Deuce2018-04-29 08:54

    Easley, I never made the connection between and Haney. I was in the valley almost everyday dodging Northwest's 631's when we punched 82 south from the gap down through the Zillah and Mabton neighborhoods. I remember the above cab sleepers and wondered at the time how that worked out. Seems like Metro was in that can haulin' biz with the high cube truck and trailers

  865. #865Truck Shop2018-04-29 15:03

    Metro was another that ran high cube rigs. I remember when 82 was started from I-90 to Yakima, when that finally opened the death toll on the canyon rd dropped to damn near zero. I lived in Ellensburg for 25 years. Remember Herrett/Gem trucking in Suunyside or Don Williams Contract Carriers or OST Okanogan Seattle, Fedderly-Marion Transport? Truck Shop

  866. #866Crummy2018-04-29 15:23

    Did you ever cross paths with C. Williams? P-51 "Moonbeam McShine", old army rigs, '48 merc "M-80" & lot's of other cool stuff....

  867. #867Mother Deuce2018-04-29 16:03

    Fedderly and their purple/ yellow Freightliners and Clough bulkers out of the Issaquah yard are burned into my memory bank.. Herret/Gem they were another outfit that loved them 220 late 40' early 50's KW! I had forgotten them. Don Williams always had nice iron I thought, I am thinking of 74ish Pete wide nose in particular that deep blue with kind of a rust colored trim my memory maybe screwing up the trim color. OST and Oak Harbor. The Mackner Bros Jack, Dan and Ed, Bogard and Hoxbergen hay companies, All Service Heavy Transport, D. L Duckey. It was a great time to be on 90 and 82 along with CF, PIE, Garrett and the rest. Possibly the best part of the E burg experience was Carls and Mabels Sail Inn restaurant. If I thought Mabel was still there open and cooking I would walk to Ellensburg to get breakfast!

  868. #868Truck Shop2018-04-29 17:07

    Oh yah-I know Chris and his P-51. The gut who had cool stuff was Buck Charles up Robinson Canyon Rd. His John Deere and old stationary engine collection along with Hart Parr tractors and Bufflalo Pitt steam engines is massive. Don Williams rigs were blue and orange. You left out the chrome brothers {Jack Johnson Hay]. Clayton Patton {Patton Trucking} George Romminger Trucking, Renfro Logging in Cle Elum, Far West, Al Hansen Trucking, Nello Pistorisi and Luisi. My dad ran a sign shop which I worked in sometimes and for years we lettered most every truck in that county.

  869. #869Labparamour2018-04-29 17:08

    I was lucky enough to run as a casual for FM for a couple years, up until they sold to Gresham. Mostly cabover Frieghtliners w/ Cummins power. But, they had a couple conventionals....spent a couple days in one- it had a 5 & 4 in it. Still remember the advice “shift one stick at a time or you’ll be coming to a stop and starting over!” The yellow was meant to be gold for the purple and gold UW Huskies. Those days were where I listened to Art Bell on AM going over Blewett to Wenatchee. Darryl

  870. #870Crummy2018-04-29 17:28

    I used to watch his house on this side when he was in San Diego for the winter. Great guy. Always had a couple of bottles of Pappy Van Winkle's for me as a "thank you". Haven't heard from in years since his mom passed over there & he sold the place here and went south permanently. Last I heard he also still had the truck stop over in E-burg. If you ever bought Pautzke bait, you helped pay for these:

  871. #871RZucker2018-04-29 18:35
  872. #872RZucker2018-04-29 18:46

    Jack Johnson... now there is a character. In 1988 I was hunting tractors for the Brown Boys and rode up to Spokane with Jack to look at some Cornbinders Associated Grocers had for sale. It was early April and the slush on I-90 was 3" thick, we were bobbing all over the place and he just kept talking like nothing was out of place. I ended up driving one home and going back for a couple more. $7500 for a 400 Cummins and a 13 spd was a good deal back then.

  873. #873DMiller2018-04-29 19:27

    Most of you will not remember the line I once had a truck on with. IML Eagle Division, Special Commodities division. Had my 79KW on lease to them as Red River Trucking Portland OR, from where and whom I bought the monster from. Still remember the Pig Iron or Garrett boys that ran a tad fast with the Nevada Triples, drop down the ramp off Redwood Rd to I-80 SLC and tip number three on its side. Happened at least three times a month for around a year.

  874. #874Truck Shop2018-04-29 19:27

    Poot Williams married Pautzke's daughter, Poot was working in the liquor for a living. When his father in-law Pautzke died Poot went to cooking up the father in-laws secret recipe for fishing eggs and that is how Pautzke Balls of Fire fishing eggs started. All the old farts in Ellensburg knew Poot well because they bought their bottles from him. Truck Shop

  875. #875Truck Shop2018-04-29 22:52

    Little know fact Ellensburgs first name was Robbers Roost. That town has a very dark past. It's one of the few places in the N.W. where around the turn of the century {I believe 1906} a man that was jailed for defending himself from one of the towns upper class citizens {who ended up dead} was broken out of jail and lynched on the corner of 7th and Pearl by a mob of town folk. I knew the guy that ran the cat that took the tree down on that corner years later. He told me several old town folk showed up never said a word, never spoke to each other just stood in silence as he removed that tree. It also was a sun down town, probably still has that ordinance on the city books. I moved away from there 22 years ago and never returned and don't want to. Truck Shop

  876. #876Mother Deuce2018-04-30 03:39

    Garrett was running those odd looking bubble nose conco binders then. They all had that yellow shovel hanging on them. Didn't see IML much or ETMF occasionally.

  877. #877Truck Shop2018-04-30 17:45

    Here is some old Herrett rigs. When I was a kid we had a dairy in Whitstrand north of Prosser. We had a two story house with a window at the top of the stairs and I had a pair of binoculars that I would watch those old 220's pouring smoke out climbing the grade from Prosser to the top of the Horse Heaven hills headed for Umatilla and beyond. Truck Shop

  878. #878RZucker2018-04-30 18:26

    I remember those Garrett Concos, strange looking truck. never got to see the iside of one, looked cramped.

  879. #879RZucker2018-04-30 18:31

    Ah, the highway 221 grade out of Prosser, in '83 James and I hauled spuds from Paterson to Prosser for 2 months one winter. I had no jakes on that old 318 Detroit so that hill was a 3rd gear descent. Or 2nd if it was dark and snowing.

  880. #880DMiller2018-04-30 19:10

    Old standard, never drop off a hill in a gear higher than it takes to climb it. The Olden days , no jakes, Bendix Wedge Brakes and Orscheln lever hand brakes on the back of the transmission, add to that the little drop down Kiss your Sweet Ass Goodbye Low Air flag from in the headliner brow.

  881. #881Truck Shop2018-04-30 20:42

    One big problem with most drivers is getting them to understand that to get full benefit of a jake on a long grade is to run it at 2100 rpm. That old wives tail of running a Cummins 855 at low rpm while using the jake or it would bend the push tubes was total Crap. The engine was designed to run up to 2100 then shift, if it was the case it would bend them on the high side of the shift. I always run every engine on long grades at 2000 to 2100. I love the line {well it's governed at 1800 or throttle shuts off at 1700 how can it run up to 2100? Truck Shop

  882. #882Birken Vogt2018-04-30 21:34

    Yes. Some engines I remember had an even higher "Jake red line" than that. Although personally I would not do it. I always wanted to stay a ways below governor red line because I did not want to be standing tall before the man if the engine decided to come unraveled while I was doing that, my own fault or not. But it could have been my fault, a few times I let my attention lapse and looked back at the tach and slammed on the brakes RIGHT NOW before anything bad happened.

  883. #883RZucker2018-04-30 22:15

    I do remember the old model 25 jakes would bend push tubes above 1500 rpm without auto lash adjusters... But that was on my 335 with a pulse manifold and a Holset turbo that would run 40# of boost with the jake on. OOPs. went to 425's ? and no more problems. That engine was a bit of a mutt, it was set as close to a 444 as you could go without MVT or a big cam block.

  884. #884Truck Shop2018-04-30 22:48

    I run two 335's with 25's and no lash adjusters never bent any push tubes. Now where problems would arise is setting them while idling {running them down til the exhaust valve would just open and backing off a 1/4 turn. I had seen that done several times years ago on small cams and big cams. Truck Shop

  885. #885RZucker2018-04-30 23:53

    That could be... never set mine with the "twitch" method, but Mike at Cummins in Yakima said with my manifold and turbo combo that 40# of boost with the jakes on I would be better off with the 425s . Never had an issue after that change.

  886. #886Mother Deuce2018-05-01 03:26

    They ran those trucks forever! Definitely got their money out of them! In and just after high school I used to work for a friend that had a wheat farm up on Horse Heavens. Top the hill go down theru the the first sweeper left down to the first sweeper right but go straight by the county well .Geez I will never forget those harvest lunches! Prosser hill is definitely no slouch in the steep dept. I remember a grain truck in 75ish smoked the brakes coming down went by the Texaco at the stop at the bottom crossed the old highway and into that little field. Seems like the driver was ok.

  887. #887Truck Shop2018-05-01 20:50

    Steep Grade? Jackson Hole Wyoming on 191 or 22 it's a 10% grade for about three or four miles. If your headed down hill towards Jackson and got in trouble to get to the escape ramps you have to cross into the on coming traffic headed up hill-ramps are on the opposite side. Another heading into Vancouver BC. through Cloverdale there are two short 10% grades and both have stop lights at the bottom IIRC. Truck Shop

  888. #888RZucker2018-05-01 20:54

    Ah yes, County well road, Got a good buddy that lives just south down by Sellards road. I did haul a good bit of grain out of that area in the early 80's.

  889. #889Truck Shop2018-05-02 20:36
  890. #890DMiller2018-05-03 07:09

    Nice shot of a A-Car, right down to the chain racks. Brings back some old memories for me.

  891. #891RZucker2018-05-03 18:22

    Actually that's a late 40's/very early 50's Peterbilt.

  892. #892DMiller2018-05-03 18:55

    Damn you must be Old, I cannot remember seeing one of those!! And I AM old!

  893. #893RZucker2018-05-04 01:13

    I'm not that old,,, But when I was a kid I had to make my own dirt.

  894. #894Mother Deuce2018-05-04 03:21

    LOL! I am going to steal that occasionally!

  895. #895Old Doug2018-05-04 21:53

    Last weekend i went to a farm to load scrap. He has a Ford H it was owned buy a guy that used it to move his D7 and was sold when he retired. I had saw it from a distance seting in bettwen hauling the 7 but i got to look it over good this time it has a 903 5speed with air operated 2 speed axles . The only other set of 2speed i have saw was electric under a early 50s chevy

  896. #896RZucker2018-05-04 23:58

    Go right ahead. Actually I'm only 55, but grew up around Granddad's old construction trucks and equipment in the 60's and 70's. He was still running K series Cornbinder dumps in the 60's, Had a big K series tandem that pulled the old 3 axle Peerless lowboy, that was replaced with a '52 Pete in 1972 (first diesel truck I got to drive). The old K tandem became a water truck 'til the late 70's. I would love to go back to those days.

  897. #897DMiller2018-05-05 07:46

    I worked a LOT of the old Ford F750/850 series trucks with Gas or 3208 engines five speed trans on Eaton Three speed axles with air shift. Shifted the forward axle from low to high for Low to Mid-range, then the rear from Mid to High side.

  898. #898RZucker2018-05-05 14:43

    A local farmer had a bunch of Ford Louisville tandems with 534 engines and 3spd rears, they only ran about 2 months a year but I still would not want to pay the gas bill.

  899. #899Old Doug2018-05-05 20:48

    I was pulling into the scrap yard one day and there was a IH truck with a 549 that had run out of gas they were pouring 5 gallons of gas in it the station was 4 blocks away i told them they wouldnt make it to fill up it was there first time useing it. I drove back by to see if they made it and they were just turning in when it died. My dad sold used trucks he bought GUYs taterchips old IHs they used single axle with 549 that was the eary 70s. I can remember the trucks plainly but i cant remember their trailers atall.

  900. #900DMiller2018-05-05 21:53

    Most of the 549's and the Ford 534's could manage around 2.5-3mpg if not hogged hard, in that instance 1-2 was all you could get. Even empty the old Fords I worked had to use EVERY gear, just slugs! 3208s were not much better but could get almost 4.5mpg.

  901. #901Truck Shop2018-05-05 22:28

    Here's a fuel miser. The truck that picked up the milk at our dairy in the early 60's was a GMC like this one below and had the 702 cu.in. V12 with straight stacks. Truck Shop

  902. #902DMiller2018-05-06 07:31

    Remember those V6's the valve covers fit too!! Spark plugs were along the intake line ABOVE the heads, made for neat wire runs but a trash hole when went to tune them up. I actually find the old Slope Nose Jimmy's rather unique and not so ugly. PITA to work on just liked always the look. As I remember the V6 became the floorplan on the Ill Fated TORO FLO GM Diesel.

  903. #903JPV2018-05-06 10:29

    What was the big problem with the Toro flo, have always heard they were bad but not why? I have driven a few of the big GM V-6 gassers and liked them in a truck, just amazing how much gas they could drink, I can't imagine running one of those 702 V-12 but would love to.

  904. #904DMiller2018-05-06 10:47

    About the same difference as any of the early Gas conversions to diesel. Weak heads, weak bottom end, poor of the day fuel systems, bored block no sleeves. Just a general disposable little design. Slobbered oil badly, smoked badly, just a hateful little truck engine and for the most part gutless. IHC did the same thing in the 70's building a DV series engine, they were NOTORIOUS as grenades as the DV550, were so badly designed had "Swirl Eliminators" or throttle plates inside the intake and varied pitch as you drove, NIGHTMARE engines!!

  905. #905Truck Shop2018-05-06 14:43

    Here's one that sets about 20 miles from me. The cab is in pretty good shape and it runs and drives. Truck Shop

  906. #906DMiller2018-05-06 17:12

    Just needs a little TLC and a gorilla mechanic with 8' arms to work on it!!

  907. #907DMiller2018-05-06 17:13

    2mpg whether you want it or not!

  908. #908RZucker2018-05-06 18:18

    I think I've seen this one before... Touchet/Lowden area? Used to be some good stuff up the Touchet road going to Eureka, I think a lot disappeared when scrap iron was high.

  909. #909Truck Shop2018-05-06 19:13

    It lives in Touchet now but it was bought or from Zilla area. Truck Shop

  910. #910Truck Shop2018-05-16 21:26

    My brother snapped these two photos of a hot one at MP-4 I-82 dropping into Ellensburg. This happened yesterday-he was lucky he was the 30th vehicle in the traffic back up that stretched for 3.5 miles. Common hay shaker fire either started by exhaust, electrical or brakes. The frames will get full of hay and straw, it's a great place to start a fire. Any how it's a roasted Star. Truck Shop

  911. #911DMiller2018-05-16 21:28

    DAMN!

  912. #912RZucker2018-05-16 22:06

    Kind of odd the cab would burn out like that first...? Seen a couple truck and trailer setups burn from exhaust fires but that tractor was far enough from the load I doubt that's the case.

  913. #913Truck Shop2018-05-16 22:17

    Notice it has a dromedary there was hay stacked on that. But being a hay shaker it could have been any number of things that caused it. Truck shop

  914. #914RZucker2018-05-16 22:23

    I see that now. Last I remember you could not have a drom unless you were 75' or less in length, the drom made your setup a truck and trailer vs semi with doubles.

  915. #915Truck Shop2018-05-16 22:29

    No you can run a drom, but you will have to buy an extended length permit. And as long as there is a fifthwheel it is still classified a semi. And that looks like a B train. Truck Shop

  916. #916crane operator2018-05-16 22:32

    It may just be me, but it seems like the last two three years, I've been seeing a lot of late model trucks burned down on the side of the road. Much more than I used too. Is this caused by the regen cycles and intense heat under the hoods? I've only run a couple things with regen cycles, not owned any.

  917. #917Truck Shop2018-05-16 22:44

    Years ago I was a mile north of Corning Ca and headed to the old Dudley & Petty truck stop there, I could see smoke rising from that distance. It turned out it was a 352 Pete with a V-8 Detroit on fire in the back of the parking lot. The starter had stuck the cables got hot and started a fire from all the engine oil that leaked. Funny thing was the lights were coming on and off as the wiring melted and shorted and the city horn came on also. Truck Shop

  918. #918DMiller2018-05-17 18:05

    Had one just the other day set fire in STL, that was a axle seal and brakes caught off! Scorched the trailer and damaged the suspension as well the drives on that one.

  919. #919central#22018-05-17 19:30

    The GMC with the V-12 was a great truck. My dad and I had 2 tandems we bought from the county highway dept. We ran them into the mid 80s and they would pull any load you could put on them. Still have Y pipes and misc. parts for them .

  920. #920RZucker2018-05-17 21:22

    An outfit I worked for years ago had a late 60's GMC 7500 with a 476? Magnum V-6 with a 610 roadranger trans. Single drive with a 5th wheel and every sort of rear hitch you can imagine. Also had a Skagit knuckleboom we affectionately called "Dribbles", Man that thing could easily leave a 427 Chevy or 534 Ford in the weeds. Gas mileage... well it got the job done.

  921. #92192U 34062018-05-18 10:53

    Either that or its financial combustion

  922. #922old-iron-habit2018-05-18 16:26

    Or frustration.

  923. #923Truck Shop2018-05-18 19:33

    You bet your *** it happens, I know of two instances where trucks have burned to get out of payments and not have bad credit. Truck Shop

  924. #924old-iron-habit2018-05-19 00:04

    On a related subject in MN you can only buy replacement insurance for a bar or tavern. They build you a new bar and no direct payout to the owner yo cash out. Only been one bar burn down in the last three years that I have heard about. Used to be about one a month.

  925. #925DMiller2018-05-19 14:15

    Is called and do NOT take offense PLEASE, "Jewish Lightning" around here. Clear day, no hard weather in WEEKS, and for some odd reason a lightning bolt starts a fire that consumes a business that was for all rights just getting by, Maybe!

  926. #926Truck Shop2018-05-21 22:17

    Back to some old stuff I like. The C.O.E.'s are 1947 KW's 587 models I believe. The 1946 versions had a integral sleeper. I have never seen one of these I don't believe there are any left on the planet. There wasn't that many built and sold IIRC. Truck Shop

  927. #927Truck Shop2018-05-21 22:24

    I believe this is a model 522, built between 46-49. Although some were to have been built in 45. if it is a 45 it is a rare *** bird because that would mean it was built in Yakima, Wa. during WWII. And that factory only produced less than 500 trucks from 41 to 45. I have never seen a 41 to 45 KW. Notice it has no bus lights on top of cab from factory. Truck Shop

  928. #928RZucker2018-05-21 22:53

    In spite of it's age... that's a serious water truck. I saw an old KW like that and that is bent tube for the perimeter of the grill. Trying to remember where I saw it. I think it had a gas engine too.

  929. #92992U 34062018-05-21 23:36

    I'd love to bring that back to showroom condition. Maybe one day when I have a shop because doing cab-off rebuilds outdoors sucks........

  930. #930Truck Shop2018-05-22 18:13

    I spied this at the local rail-yard today, went home and got my camera. 200 ton boiler and 195 tons of equipment to move it. They had to add some extra equipment to meet bridge and road restrictions. I might be able to get more photos tomorrow morning when they leave at 6:45 am with it headed to Lyons Ferry/Starbuck area for a new straw processing plant. Truck Shop

  931. #931Truck Shop2018-05-22 18:14
  932. #932Truck Shop2018-05-22 18:15
  933. #933RZucker2018-05-22 20:25

    Wow... that's a load. Any idea of the route? Surely not through Clyde, some of those old culvert/bridges were iffy 30 years ago.

  934. #934Truck Shop2018-05-22 21:48

    They did look at going the Clyde route but I think their going by the shop headed east on 12 through Dayton then cutting back NW on 261 through Starbuck. Either way there's some grades to pull. They better hope that ISX 600 in the push tractor doesn't decide to de-rate, notice the DEF tank. Truck Shop

  935. #93592U 34062018-05-22 21:53

    Look at the exhaust on the wide hood 800 up front. Looks like a DPF hiding in that fake battery box.

  936. #936Truck Shop2018-05-22 22:03

    I looked that one over pretty good, there is yellow paint on that oil pan, she's a 625 hp CAT. A big gun. Truck Shop

  937. #937RZucker2018-05-22 23:40

    Either way, there are some healthy grades both up and down. I wouldn't mind watching some of this move.

  938. #938RZucker2018-05-23 20:49

    When are they making this move?

  939. #939Truck Shop2018-05-23 21:06

    It happened today, they didn't get moving til 10:30. The first pics are turning the rig around by backing it down the side street steering the lowboy axles remotely. Some of the photos are not so good they wanted me to keep a distance. They had to add I beams to span the last bridge and in the last photos at the rail crossing I could here the brakes over a third mile away {air disc} that last mile and a half is 7.5 to 8% grade at Lyons Ferry. If the photos are crappy please say so. The total length 245 feet. Truck Shop

  940. #940Truck Shop2018-05-23 21:08
  941. #941Truck Shop2018-05-23 21:10
  942. #942Truck Shop2018-05-23 21:13
  943. #943Truck Shop2018-05-23 21:14
  944. #944crane operator2018-05-23 21:28

    Those are great pictures of that heavy move. That's a pretty specialized rig. Here's the version from over 40 years ago (at auction from ritchie bros): https://www.rbauction.com/1971-HEND...edium=display&utm_campaign=criteo-retargeting 1971 Hendrickson Prime Mover Probably aren't going to find many interior parts on anyones shelf for this thing. Looks like she's made to carry a load. The sale site says automatic, but that looks like a aux transmission with a top box for the winch in one of the pictures, must be after the auto. That is a good sized winch on the back too.

  945. #945crane operator2018-05-23 21:29
  946. #946RZucker2018-05-23 22:32

    Rats... I would have come down to see part of that move, I see they did use the Clyde route. I do remember there is a big gasline along the river across those RR tracks, the elevator to the north only allowed loaded trucks in or out in one spot they had reinforced over the pipe. I'm betting that boiler will be gas fueled from that line.

  947. #947Junkyard2018-05-23 23:42

    I hauled many a boiler for Victory Energy. Their main shop is in Collinsville, OK. They do a lot of rail too. Often the boilers are heavy to one side so they have to counterweight the rail car so they can set the boiler centered enough to meet width restrictions. I have quite a few pics of their boilers on my iron.....on my old phone. Got a new one Sunday and haven’t gotten everything transferred. I’ll see about posting a few....assuming I remember lol

  948. #948Wytruckwrench2018-05-24 00:02

    That’s a neat move. They have some amazing equipment.

  949. #949mowingman2018-05-24 06:16

    That Hendrix appears to have a Dodge Power Giant cab, ( 4x4, 1958-1960). Cab interior parts should not be real hard to find. The rest of the unit looks like it would be pretty hard to maintain now.

  950. #950Truck Shop2018-05-24 07:44

    They didn't have clearance to move and by 10:45 they were nearing the end of the window. At the last minute they got it I thought about calling you but if they didn't get a go ahead it would have been a wasted trip for you. I talked to Jeff from Victory Energy but I couldn't remember the name of your company-Circle V? He rattled off about eight large movers in the Tulsa area. Truck Shop

  951. #951Junkyard2018-05-24 07:59

    Circle V was owned by a friend of mine. It was bought out maybe 10 years ago by a big group in IA. Mine was Sooner Heavy Haul. I was good friends with Jeff, he left Victory for a while, his brother owns it, and while he was gone I ended up having to sue them. He came back in the middle of it and it was obvious where his loyalty was. There were hard feelings after I won

  952. #952Truck Shop2018-05-24 09:34

    Jeff was kind of a arrogant individual. He was sort of telling me about how things worked in Wa St and this county and I mildly corrected him, he stopped talking to me and sat in his pickup. Truck Shop

  953. #953Junkyard2018-05-24 10:15

    Yes he is that! There’s only so much of that a feller can take.....

  954. #954Truck Shop2018-05-24 14:07

    Big Shot! every company has got one. Truck Shop

  955. #955Mother Deuce2018-05-24 18:20

    Nice job Truck Shop covering that move appreciate the pics.

  956. #956RZucker2018-05-24 19:30

    Nope, International "Fleetstar" cab there. Similar to the early 70's IH pickup cabs, I hated those trucks... Doors cracking out around the latches and hinges, the window regulators were junk, as was the internal door latch linkage. And whoever dreamed up the 3 point cab mount must have smoked quite a bit of recreational herbiage. When you made hard corners the cab would list about 20 degrees to the outside of the turn. Made the mirrors kind of useless. The Dodge cab would have a wraparound windshield with cutouts in the doors like a '56 Ford pickup.

  957. #957RZucker2018-05-24 19:44

    I kind of figured you would call when it was set in stone. But I understand the last minute clearance thing too. It's been a crazy week for me anyways, first hay cutting is going strong. The growers have been slamming me with equipment, and the truckers want to be ready to haul.

  958. #958DMiller2018-05-26 07:31

    That Hendrickson cab to me appears to be Harvester Fleetstar series. Do not remember them using Dodge cabs. A great deal of that size boiler in the 70's were constructed at site and the main weldments shipped individually. That made for some tense moments on initial startups!! I ran a 100,000 lb/mass/hr fuel oil fired monstrosity at the nuke for an auxiliary steam supply system, Babcock and Wilcox unit, pushed too hard would vibrate the floor.

  959. #959RZucker2018-05-26 15:30

    In the mid 80's I helped to scrap out some boilers at a local sugar mill that had closed down in the late 70's. they had 3 coal fired watertube boilers that were 6 stories tall. 2 were equipped with 6 stokers and the main had 8 stokers. Cutting them apart was a pita, made me wonder how they welded them together in the first place. There were also 4 Continental packaged boilers to warm everything up slowly, I think those were 1.000 Hp boilers on natural gas. Place had a 16" gas main coming into the boiler house. IIRC the coal burners had gas burners to start them.

  960. #960Junkyard2018-05-26 17:29

    Back on topic for old trucks.....

  961. #961Junkyard2018-05-26 17:31

    Tocci’s 1949 Mack EQ wrecker

  962. #962Truck Shop2018-05-26 18:17

    And this black Hendrickson is the brother of this yellow Hendrickson, both owned by the same outfit at one time. The black one was named Little Henry and the Yellow-Big Henry. The yellow one was powered by a 16-71 and I know RZ will like that. Truck Shop

  963. #963Junkyard2018-05-26 18:26

    The platform trailer behind the yellow one looks to be Talbert to me. They had a few unique methods to accomplish what the Germans were doing across the pond. I’ve seen the lower of old cranes used in the same manner as a prime mover.

  964. #964RZucker2018-05-26 21:44

    With a snout like that, a 16V-71 would be a good fit.

  965. #965Truck Shop2018-05-26 22:05

    That would have a sound all it's own and be a pulling son of a gun wouldn't it RZ? Truck Shop

  966. #966Junkyard2018-05-26 22:21

    Probably why they have a second steer axle too!

  967. #967Truck Shop2018-05-26 22:42

    Junkyard you would look good driving that!---{Off through the desert Junkyard did glide flying low and flying wide, he left streaks through towns forty feet wide the cops wouldn't chase they would run and hide. Junkyard was just taking it for a ride.} Truck Shop

  968. #968RZucker2018-05-26 22:46

    That would be about 640Hp without turbos, probably has a 5900 or 6000 series Allison transmission. Worked on a few Terex rock trucks with that power pack. The best sound however comes from an industrial skid mount 16 with quad mufflers. Got to watch one "dyno" on a deep well turbine pump, they could open the outlet valve and nearly kill it at 1600 GPM. It did put out a bit of black smoke . It was later replaced with a 700HP electric motor with a variable frequency drive that could push 2300GPM.

  969. #969RZucker2018-05-27 21:46

    Ride Boldy, Ride...

  970. #970Junkyard2018-05-27 22:32

    That’s a good one lol. Sounds like some **** I would do!

  971. #971Truck Shop2018-05-27 23:23

    Your a good sport Junkyard to put up with my Cr@p. Truck Shop

  972. #972Junkyard2018-05-28 13:20

    I’ve always been told if somebody picks on ya they like ya! Haha

  973. #973Truck Shop2018-05-29 22:19

    Only a few of these were ever produced, twin 235's with separate gear boxes, drive shafts and suspension. Rated at 20 tons, 1945 to 1946 called the Eisenhauer Freighter. Truck Shop

  974. #974Mother Deuce2018-05-30 02:57

    That's cool! Have always liked the post war Chevs. I have never seen or heard of this one.

  975. #975colson042018-05-30 05:48

    After seeing your pic I wanted to read some more about them. Found this site that also has drawings showing how the engines were mounted and how the drivelines worked. Very unique design. http://theoldmotor.com/?p=130391

  976. #976Truck Shop2018-05-30 07:16

    The one I have looked for pictures and info on and have never seen except one small picture of is a {1931 Relay #300A with twin Lycoming Straight 8 engines}. It was rated at 275 HP and had Westinghouse air brakes. Relay had a very interesting rear drive axle with a standard ring, pinion and a planetary gear at the wheels. The axle housing did't have much ground clearance. So if anyone can find a picture of a 1931 Relay model 300A please post it. Truck Shop

  977. #977Truck Shop2018-05-30 08:21

    I posted the 300 on another forum and for sure j.hancock had a single photo of the Relay 300A Truck Shop

  978. #978DMiller2018-05-30 11:49

    Not much of anything on their history. Must be like Hupmobile where in and out with the Great Depression. Cool looking machines

  979. #979Truck Shop2018-05-30 21:33

    Well here is an oddity that I saw in 1994. I was taking care of an acquaintance home while he was in Alaska working on a fish processing ship. I was mowing the yard and had passed by this 1946 Chev one ton truck several times pushing the mower. The truck was on the side of the house facing away from the road. Something kept bugging me, I finally stopped the mower and stood in front of it just looking at it. Then bang it hit me, I was looking right at it when it registered. It is spelled CHEVROLET not CHEVPOLET, a very rare mistake in stamping the name in the stainless grille. They left the leg off the R. I asked him about it when he returned from Alaska his reply was {you weren't suppose to see that}. Truck Shop

  980. #980Truck Shop2018-05-30 21:43

    Last year for Federal, model D700R2 kind of a bug eyed bugger. Truck Shop

  981. #981RZucker2018-05-30 21:51

    Interesting cab.

  982. #982Mother Deuce2018-05-31 03:49

    Really cool looking. I wish I could find one!

  983. #983DMiller2018-05-31 07:41

    That Federal looks to have a 56 Ford truck cab, was that the case?

  984. #984Truck Shop2018-05-31 18:43

    You win the fur lined **** pot. Note the heater intake.

  985. #985Junkyard2018-05-31 19:06

    Speaking of 56 Fords and excrement of one form or another.....back in high school I worked for an equine facility building pipe fence, fixing the tractors/trucks/trailers, baling hay and (cue the music) hauling manure. 56 Ford 2 ton with an dump bed. She was a contakerous old girl. I’d haul a couple loads a week and when you got down to the really composted black stuff it was not a pleasant smell. When I first was assigned that task I effin HATED it! After awhile I got to liking it. Later in life I realized there was a lesson in that. No matter where you are on the ladder of life you’re gonna have to put up with ****!! Sometimes multiple loads of it! A good many of the valuable lessons I learned came from that place. KJM became quite a mentor and is a cherished friend to this day. The stories we could tell Ok here’s one of my favorites. We went up by KC to deliver a horse. Coming back on 291 through Harrisonville there was this little pup wandering in traffic. We stopped, I jumped out and grabbed her. This lady in a van full of kids stopped and asked if I was going to take her. Without missing a beat I calmly replied “No ma’am I’m just getting her lined up so we can catch her with all the tires.” Priceless

  986. #986DMiller2018-05-31 19:55

    Thought so, owned a 53 I wish had back!!

  987. #987Truck Shop2018-05-31 20:23

    I had two of these in high school that looked a little rough like this one. One had a 292 the other a 312. Truck Shop

  988. #988DMiller2018-05-31 20:29

    Mine was a F-1 Flathead on a Fordamatic no less, trans was always screwed up, leaking. Had to love the later old Y blocks!!

  989. #989Truck Shop2018-05-31 20:38

    I will see that and raise you twenty. I grew up on a Jersey dairy in the 60's we were milking 110 head on Surge vacuum buckets in a nine stall milk parlor. Start at 5 and finish at 9, 4 to 8 in the morning. Walked to a 6 room school with cow **** on my jeans and boots. My dad made sure the three of us boy's had a shovel in our hand two minutes after we were born. When their head is in the stanchion and nose is in the grain you watch for the tail going up {quick grab that scoop shovel and get it under their *** before it splatters on the concrete floor. How many of you know what a Surcingle is? Truck Shop

  990. #990DMiller2018-05-31 20:44

    Great Aunt and Uncle had a hand pull dairy farm, 10 head milked twice a day EVERY day by three people!! Tell me you did not ride the damn things!!

  991. #991Truck Shop2018-05-31 20:48

    The only one I rode was a year old Jersey bull, ornery little ba$tard he was. Truck Shop

  992. #992RZucker2018-05-31 21:04

    Mine was a '55 with a 272 and tree on the tree. Bought it from the original owner, (dryland wheat farmer south of Kennewick Wa.) It was my daily driver for a few years, the original radio even worked for awhile. I think it had 60,000 on it when I got it.

  993. #993Junkyard2018-05-31 21:18

    Only 20? Lol. I’ve been around beef cows more but know enough about dairy’s that I can tell you it’s nothin but work!!! Surcingle is kind of like the girth, cinch or latigo depending on what type of equestrian activities you’re into lol. More of a training thing than anything from what I recall.....at least that’s what I know of one.

  994. #994RZucker2018-05-31 22:27

    My grandfather ran a Cow/calf Beef operation. Breed 'em and and collect and sell the calves at weaning time about 800 head of nasty old range cows and 20 to 30 head of mixed up bulls. He had about 13,000 acres of leased rangeland on the west side of Banks Lake and we would spend 3 weeks rounding up and hauling them to the home place every year when the grass ran out. At least Dairy cows don't give you saddle sores. Sometimes we would be out for several days finding all the critters without a real bed. There were several old line shacks on the property and they were stocked up so we had food and a place to sleep. It was kind of cool looking back on it. One of the overnight spots was an abandoned 3 story barn with horse stalls on the ground floor, the next up was an open floor where we rolled out our beds, the third had a giant Great horned Owl that owned the hayloft. This was 45 years ago, going to go up later this summer and see one of the land owners and see if we can get in and see the old place. It's totally walled off to outsiders but I think if I mention names... we are in. Foster Coulee on google maps. (hint)

  995. #995Truck Shop2018-05-31 22:32

    Right on Junkyard, For milking it was a rubber fabric strap with brass eyelets and a 3/8 curved rod attached to the strap on one end with a hook on the other that hooked through the brass eyelet, you hung the vacuum bucket on it. I screwed up one time in the barn which caused one of the cows to pull back in the stanchion and kicked my mom. My dad grabbed a Surcingle and lashed me with it about five times, every six inches there were huge welts from the eyelets. Never forgot that I was about seven then. Truck Shop

  996. #996Junkyard2018-05-31 22:32

    That’s a great story. I’d have been all for that. Saddle sores and all! It’s been many years since I spent any considerable time on horseback.

  997. #997Junkyard2018-05-31 22:33

    Ouch. I think every kid has a memory like that of some sort. My mom had a belt that she liked....straight from the golden days of the 70’s. Not that she ever had to use it on me.....haha

  998. #998Truck Shop2018-05-31 22:54

    This rig has always been interesting to me 8V-71 with a 15sp built in Colorado. With 4 steer it gave true meaning to wiggle wagons at highway speed. Truck Shop

  999. #999RZucker2018-05-31 23:16

    Up 'til 10 years ago I had a big Bay gelding, 3 white socks and a white blaze on his forehead, very cow smart and only needed knee steering. He was from of some of granddads stock, My grandfather bred cow horses from mostly Quarterhorse and a bit of thouroughbred. He did have a soft spot for abandoned Draft horses that led to some interesting results... Belgian and Quarterhorse mix will stop anything you can get a rope on and then drag them where ever you want. Kind of like roping off a D9 cat.

  1000. #1000RZucker2018-05-31 23:19

    I once had a Chevy C6500 with a Coleman front axle, It was wiggly by itself.

  1001. #1001Junkyard2018-05-31 23:31

    Somewhere I have a pair of boots that the vet had to cut off after a Belgian stepped on my foot crimping the steel insert over my toes. This horse was bomb proof until you went to float his teeth. Whatever it was about it he did NOT like. Kinda like most people lol. He stepped to the side and son of biotch I was in serious pain. I’m not certain but I think I heard what a horses giggle sounds like. Damn fine horse to ride around on.

  1002. #1002old-iron-habit2018-05-31 23:34

    OK, Now my butt is stinging with a awoken memory. Here goes. My mother always had a hazel brush switch (actually stick) which she used frequently on my brother and I while the other eight "angel" kids watched. She never swatted, she swung overhead always aiming for the head and shoulders. She always took 2 practice swings stopping short and then as we dodged she wacked us a good one. Well one day she was going to whack my brother. On the second practice swing he grabbed the stick and underhanded it past her, tossing it to me. I bolted out the back door of the house and still holding on to the small end of that 5 ft stick, I whipped it as far as I could as I cleared the steps. Unknown to me our near 80 year grandma, whom was staying with us, was bending over picking up a dress out of the wicker basket that mom used for cloths. She was about to hang it on the line to dry. The stick nailed her smack across her rear end where the pink flowers that were printed on that old yellow house dress was stretched tight. She let out a screaming war whoop and her legs went to full gallop. Did I mention that she had a pretty good beam to her bottom. As she leaped ahead her neck caught on the old wire cloths line. Her legs kept going and she landed on her bottom in the wicker basket, exploding it on impact. I still have this vivid image of her on her back in that exploded basket, legs up in the air with that yellow with pink flowered dress up around her waist. Her white bloomers were sticking to her legs up to her knees. As I stood there in total shock I got grabbed by the back of the neck and realized that Dad had just got home. He had walked around the corner of the house just in time to see the stick make contact. I got the 2nd worse whipping of my life. They forgot all about my brother whom started it all and got away with no whop at all. I felt bad about spanking Grandma and told her I was sorry but I don't believe she ever fully forgave me nor trusted me to be behind her. Dad and I had many good laughs about the humor of it later in life but it took a while.

  1003. #1003RZucker2018-05-31 23:54

    Grandad had a Morgan cross that looked like a Sorrel Zebra minus the stripes, fat head, longish ears, upstanding mane, and a really bad attitude. that thing would try to sidestep on your toes when you cinched him up. Then he would start crowhopping after the first hundred yards that would lead to bucking if you didn't whack him between the ears with the reins. Otherwise you were on the ground or having a private rodeo.

  1004. #1004Junkyard2018-06-01 19:06

    Some of KJM’s horses were getting up in years, late 20’s for some of them. There were days, like today, when it was stupid hot and they flat refused to let anybody on them. The instructors would saddle them up and most generally a few minutes they’d calm down and do their deal. Once in a blue moon the instructors would be busy or whatever and ask me to ride the attitude out of them. Not much I could get ahold of with my skinny *** on an English saddle back then. They’d want to buck or hop so I’d just pull their head to the side and if they kept up a whack or two with a crop and they’d capitulate. One of his lesson horses was an original bloodline of the AQHA. We put her down at 34 after a days work....Lil Brandy Sue was her name.

  1005. #1005Truck Shop2018-06-01 21:09

    My dad went in the army at seventeen in 1934, he was asked what he could do his reply was {I can drive a team of horses or mules} He was shipped to Fort Sam Houston, "B" Battery artillery where he drove six horse team pulling munitions and piece til 1938. That was the last year of horse drawn artillery. After that he didn't have much use for a horse but a mule was ok, sort of. Pay was 10.00 a month with soap for shaving, tobacco makings or a cut of chewing tobacco. He never smoked tailor made smokes P.A. in can only. He could roll damn near a tailor made with one hand. He use to roll'em on his pant leg all the time. I asked him why he mostly rolled with only one hand. {When on maneuvers or on march horse back if you think everyone's going to whoa up for you to roll a smoke well you got another thing coming, better get it done on the move was his reply}. Truck Shop

  1006. #1006DMiller2018-06-01 21:15

    Sis in law had a Buckskin mare, 14 hands at the withers named Sundown, she was contemptable toward males, dealt with little kids OK but a nag from get to go. Farrier had to twitcher her to a post to do anything even close to shoeing or hoof trimming. Was helping the sis in law one day where she dropped a grooming brush, stooped to pick it up heard the clomp at my right ear where I grabbed a two by laying at the fence. She had already pulled back knowing I was coming up, she missed the ear but I hit her square in the forehead with a rotten board, it exploded. She snapped to every time I came around and avoided any attempts to bite me from that point on. Had the board Not been rotten I would have probably left a bigger mark! I had a knothead Pure Bred palomino gelding with tiger eyes, Tiger was barn broke and stubborn but knew better than try my patience. Always treated him well, he would make attempts to rush back to the barn but I would tuck his chin to his forelocks and drive him hard right, he eventually quit for me. My younger brother took him over as I entered the US of Army, damn horse ran him full tilt back to the barn where on a third occasion made a hard turn and flipped the brother into a steel trough. That glue factory went away at that time.

  1007. #1007DMiller2018-06-02 08:49

    I had almost forgotten Prince Albert tobacco TS, My own Grandparents, Dad's side rolled their own of P.A. as was the choice tobacco of the day pipe or RYO.

  1008. #1008Truck Shop2018-06-02 20:08

    Here's one for you to take a short road trip on RZ. https://spokane.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1960-mack/6605832049.html Truck Shop

  1009. #1009Labparamour2018-06-02 20:29

    Ah, Craigslist.... “ran when parked...” Looks good, though. Darryl

  1010. #1010Truck Shop2018-06-02 21:28

    I might have to make a short trip to Ephrata tomorrow. Truck Shop

  1011. #1011Wes J2018-06-02 22:51

    Those B models are neat, but "tight" is a nice way to describe the cab. You don't really sit in it so much as you wear it like spandex. I've never driven one, but I sat in the cab at a truck show. I don't think there were a lot of 6'4" 250lb drivers when those trucks were on the drafting board.

  1012. #1012Truck Shop2018-06-02 22:57

    Yup a feller can't be packing around years of biscuits and gravy and expect to drive one of those. Truck Shop

  1013. #1013DMiller2018-06-03 08:48

    Was a lot 'lighter' when worked at MACK St Louis, 6'2" tall, 155#, could actually shinny up into a dump truck mast box and replace blown hydraulic hoses on cylinders bed DOWN!. Bs were not only tight but Short inside, had to duck my head to get in while had a button knot where my ball cap would beat into my skull on test drives!

  1014. #1014RZucker2018-06-03 23:23

    I spent the weekend in the Horseheaven hills with no cell service, just got home a while ago and got your voicemail. Wish I had been home when you called. Did you see it?

  1015. #1015Truck Shop2018-06-04 07:47

    Yeah I saw it, basically a parts truck. Frame is junk, steer axle eyes are shot and back of cab rotted. Here are some others setting there that I got photos of. Went up and back on Dodson Rd. Truck Shop

  1016. #1016RZucker2018-06-04 22:12

    That IH cabover looks like the one that used to sit south of Highway 26 out west of Othello near the old Taunton substation.

  1017. #1017Truck Shop2018-06-05 17:06

    I bought this B75 today for $2,500 he was asking $4,000 and I also bought today a 1959 B61 for $700,00 that has all the good parts I need to build that B75. RZ when I run up to tow it back is it possible to have you give me a hand with removing the axles so I can tow from the front? I can do it but a little help would make it much easier. The axles might need some tough persuasion. Truck Shop

  1018. #1018crane operator2018-06-05 18:49

    I was looking at the other pictures of that mack today (congrats, by the way, should make a pretty truck). I was wondering what the deal was with the rear rims. It looks like the center has a rivet joint to the outer of the rim?

  1019. #1019DMiller2018-06-05 19:37

    All you have to do with that wagon is pull the axle caps, remove the double spline end shafts and reinstall the caps. I do like that B!!

  1020. #1020crane operator2018-06-05 19:44

    And another thing- Power wagon, power wagon- POWER WAGON! Why aren't you bringing it home too? Winch on the front, winch on the back, climb a tree in granny low- (whisper)- powerwagon.........

  1021. #1021DMiller2018-06-05 19:46

    What engine is in the old witch? Says thermodyne but most of these had transplants in midlife. And yes those could be riveted center 10.00x22 or 20 buds.

  1022. #1022DMiller2018-06-05 19:48

    That most likely is a Post War PW, built off the WWII designs for civilian use and may be as new as a 62.

  1023. #1023Junkyard2018-06-05 19:52

    I second the power wagon!!! Nice ole B model. I regret selling mine....on occasion anyway lol

  1024. #1024RZucker2018-06-05 20:52

    I'm all about it, give me a call tomorrow to discuss the details. 6:45 to 7 am is a good time before the disaster calls start.

  1025. #1025Truck Shop2018-06-05 21:40

    I had to go back to work just got home, I looked up those drives in a old manual and noticed the double spline shafts. The last time I worked on one of those was early 80's I guess my mind is starting fade sometimes. And it is powered by a Maxidyne 1974 vintage although I couldn't look at it really because of the huge yellow jacket nests under the hood. Truck Shop

  1026. #1026Truck Shop2018-06-05 21:49

    Forget the Power Wagon it's not for sale nor is the 52 GMC at this point. What really bug's me is he sold a B73 that was in pretty fair shape it had the L cab. Some New England Mack hoarder bought it some months back. And I'm pretty much done with 4X4 stuff I don't do {Guts, Glory, Ram}. He also had a 65 GTO, 68 Firebird, Buick GS 455, model t's And this International pickup.

  1027. #1027Truck Shop2018-06-05 22:02

    And what will I do with this B75? It was originally a logger and that is what I will return it to. Mid level green fenders and top of cab the rest will either be copper or white. A friend has a bunch of old log bunks and trailers along with bang boards for a cheap price. But the cab and sheet metal will be removed frame stripped, new rails and the B61 will supply the crossmembers, front axle and some sheet metal plus a few cab parts. I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't known about the B61 and the cheap price on it. You always need two to make one unit. Thanks guy's- I will call in the morning RZ. Truck Shop

  1028. #1028Junkyard2018-06-05 22:31

    Joseph Equipment....? That the Mack hoarder?

  1029. #1029Truck Shop2018-06-05 22:52

    No-I know about that turd. This guy that bought it has a construction company in New Hampshire. Truck Shop

  1030. #1030Junkyard2018-06-05 23:00

    Turd? I wouldn’t pay him that compliment haha

  1031. #1031RZucker2018-06-06 22:50

    Somewhere I have an old construction magazine from 1967 and Dodge was still advertising that style of PW then. The ad stated they "wanted to drop it from the line, but buyers kept clamoring for the simple things in life". I'll really hve to dig mow, I think it was "Western Construction" or something like that, Discussed quite a bit about current dam construction at the time. Libby, Mossyrock, and another on the Snake river, but the name escapes me,

  1032. #1032DMiller2018-06-07 07:24

    Knew was in the 60's, thought was earlier but been wrong before! Always liked the Dodge PW but the trucks were well past dated by then and time had moved past them, now just conversation pieces. Guy in Americus MO has three, one runner two parts donors, all early 60's. He also had two W300's a 1967 and a 1968, won't sell any of the machines, I asked!

  1033. #1033DMiller2018-06-07 07:36

    Damn you are up early TS!

  1034. #1034DMiller2018-06-07 07:41

    Old Pete I been running decided yesterday was time to shell out the Front Diff. Was headed into STL with 50K beans on it and started smelling gear oil. Saw smoke figured was axle seal until pulled over and could get anywhere to close to the third member, HOTTER than lava! Puked a bunch of lube out thru vent, got it cooled down had a local little shop drain refill and changed the antique filter on it then got the load off ending up at Pete dealer in Ofallon MO. Meritor, probably toasted but managed to keep it together 150 miles to get off loaded and in a shop.

  1035. #1035Truck Shop2018-06-07 07:41

    In bed at 8 and up by 3:40 everyday all year long. Truck Shop

  1036. #1036DMiller2018-06-07 07:42

    Can relate, was done at 8:30 last night and up or at least awake before the mutts at 3:30 this morning as well!! Long dragged out day yesterday.

  1037. #1037Truck Shop2018-06-07 07:43

    SQ100 or SQHP? Truck Shop

  1038. #1038DMiller2018-06-07 07:47

    1997, Meritor, JY thought a RT series. Filter hangs off side of input head pointed toward rt duals. Kinda sorta looked like a variant on the old SQ100P RW axle. Didn't start popping and snagging until was at ADM to drop the load, was softer on it leaving there the last 40 miles.

  1039. #1039DMiller2018-06-07 07:50

    Looked worse than a oil slinging 6L71 at the back of the tractor, lube dripping off the rear flaps, coated inside of rear duals, rear banjo absolutely washed down, light spray droplets all over underside of MACsimizer trailer.

  1040. #1040DMiller2018-06-07 07:52

    And I know there were some unhappy close followers!!!

  1041. #1041DMiller2018-06-07 20:28

    Word today was enlightening. I managed to keep moving with a exploded side spider gear, the side support bearing had failed(uncertain which first) and spun the race in the housing ear bore. Getting a drop in shipped in, be here Monday.

  1042. #1042RZucker2018-06-07 20:43

    I once blew a rod in a Chevy pickup with an SB400, sawed the pan and bottom half of the block in two, the tailgaters were not impressed.

  1043. #1043td25c2018-06-07 20:52

    Good eye crane op . Old School " Budd's " were riveted . Run them on the Insley crane .

  1044. #1044RZucker2018-06-07 21:32

    Years back I used to take those riveted rims and blow out the rivets and move the centers to make single drive wheels fit 68" spud rows, those were used on "opener" trucks that had to run in rows that hadn't been dug out. 2 passes both ways and the trucks with duals could run in the cleared rows.

  1045. #1045Truck Shop2018-06-07 21:39

    I don't screw with cookie cutter wheels, as a mater of a fact the ones on that B75 will get the lock ring torched before scrapping. I won't ask a tire shop to work on those wheels. A dump truck was on a city street in a small town near here lost a steer tire. Unfortunately there was a lady walking on the side walk, the lock ring flew off and killed her. Those type of wheel are too old now to be reliable. Truck Shop

  1046. #1046td25c2018-06-07 22:23

    I tell ya what ...... It's those damn " Hot Rodder's " that come up with a simple solution to the problem every time .

  1047. #1047td25c2018-06-07 22:30

    Split rim lock ring spook you a little Truck Shop ?

  1048. #1048Labparamour2018-06-07 22:42

    TS, Lookin forward to pics of the trip to retrieve the Mack. DM, Glad you were able to nurse your rig home. Darryl

  1049. #1049crane operator2018-06-07 22:53

    I don't think you could ever run the kind of miles that truck shop's guys run with the old tube type. They just generate too much heat and won't make the miles that they need to run. I'd seen the riveted rims on the old 2 ton style trucks, but nothing that big. I still have one rig with 12.00r20 steer and 11.00r20 drives, and another one with 14.00r20's. I really don't mind them too much, if a guy has tube's and flaps around, you don't have to worry about setting a bead on the side of the road. You can actually still purchase new dayton lock ring rims. Glad you made it back Dmiller. I lost a front diff a couple years ago on a international, Reman third member fixed it, but in a hurry putting it back together someone didn't put the fill plug back in. I know him very, very personally. In fact he's the same guy that got to buy the second reman diff, to replace the first reman diff. So put the plug back in after you fill the diff.

  1050. #1050Birken Vogt2018-06-07 22:56

    I don't quite understand why everybody hates split rims so much either. I mean 30 years ago they were everywhere and nobody batted an eye. 30 more years does not necessarily make the metal weaker. Is it tire men not being experienced, the grooves being filled with rust or rusted away the shoulders, what? What goes wrong with them now that did not go wrong with them then? Or was human life just less valuable and people did not care when they exploded back in the day?

  1051. #1051td25c2018-06-07 23:19

    Great point Birken ! People forgot how to change a tire is my take on it . Old tubes hold air good , no rim leaks . My God ...... We aint trying to put another feller on the moon .. LOL !

  1052. #1052crane operator2018-06-07 23:19

    The trailers that haul conex/ shipping containers around still run 20's also. I was talking to a transportation guy about it, he said they run 20's so the tires and rims wouldn't get stolen and resold to trucking outfits. It helps with inventory, don't have to have tires tubes and flaps, just tires. I have seen a lock ring go rolling down the road beside me when I blew out a steer tire.

  1053. #1053Junkyard2018-06-07 23:20

    They don’t bother me. I’ve lost count of how many 10.00x15’s I did way back. Fair amount of 14.00x20’s too. I never had a problem but I watched a 14.00 come unwound once. It wasn’t the lock ring, they decided to fix a tire I refused to repair and the sidewall blew out. Threw a 220-240 pound man across the shop like a rag doll...just the escaping air. Tire and rim was in the cage. We’ve all heard the horror stories. I don’t miss them but at the same time if they were on something I own or a friends equipment I’d fix them. Safely of course.

  1054. #1054old-iron-habit2018-06-07 23:25

    I have more than one piece of equipment setting in the yard here that have the tubeless split wheel rims with the rubber gasket. They do need to be darn clean when assembling. I would not want to blow one off on the earthmover tires running at 120,000 plus lbs. on 4 tires.

  1055. #1055RZucker2018-06-07 23:41

    These were slow speed rigs that didn't see any road use. They were welded well with plug welds through the old rivet holes and the centers were welded all the way around, probably stronger than the original. I never had one fail. Today... I wouldn't touch it because of the liability issues.

  1056. #1056RZucker2018-06-08 00:01

    I will say there is a big difference between true split rims (60's and 70's Chevy C50 type) and lock ring rims. The old Chevies had the Goodyear rims that did split in the center, those were kinda scary when you actually saw how much engagement the lock surfaces had... it wasn't much. Lock ring types especially the Firestone with the angled groove lock ring would not loose a ring unless the tire went flat. I've had 3 blowouts on 10.00-20 steers that never lost a ring.

  1057. #1057DMiller2018-06-08 07:19

    Have repaired my own share of split rim tube types, always had a cage to set them in, always worked off the rim side not the ring side, have seen one fill a cage, seen a man that used no cage die so have every respect for them just know my limits with them. It was the three piece wheels that scared the hell out of the industry, no standard where if a Firestone got mixed in with Goodyear parts or vice versa then the damage was extreme. Big quarry machines still use a split rim as do most of the cranes I have been around recently, still get flats fixed and tires changed but are relatively slow speed limited scope of any chance to mix parts and the tire shop people DO inspect them religiously.

  1058. #1058Truck Shop2018-06-08 07:25

    No those splitters don't scare me me, but the price of steel tubeless wheels are cheap so there is no need to run split rims. Plus screwing around with a tube most of it is not cost effective on any type of truck. For **** sake if it's a out side tire on drive or trailer that's flat they can dismount and mount a tubeless tire and never remove the wheel from the truck. There's another factor {weight}. Aluminum's with low-pro 22.5's are the lightest combination. Truck Shop

  1059. #1059DMiller2018-06-08 07:32

    As I build my little $500 grain wagon I will keep the split rims until those come due then will as TS states get 22.5 tubeless Daytons or if the truck gets too old will get a replacement hopefully with Budds.

  1060. #1060Wes J2018-06-08 09:55

    I don't think I have ever run into a true split rim. Are those the ones that have to have the air let out before you can pull the lug nuts? Still lots of trailers running around here with 10x15 tube tires. They work OK, but you have to watch the load rating. Would be better to switch them all over to 17.5s.

  1061. #1061DMiller2018-06-08 10:26

    Split ring still falls under split rim. Three piece wheels were the worst, rim, solid ring, split locking ring sat between solid ring and rim, still on HE. Any of them do not seat, will not line up, too much rust or do not look well I cut up and tell the owner or myself BUY A NEW WHEEL!!

  1062. #1062td25c2018-06-08 20:53

    Our 1966 Chevy C60 uses the " true " split rims front & rear .

  1063. #1063Truck Shop2018-06-08 20:57

    Got the winch and got painted and mounted. Truck Shop

  1064. #1064td25c2018-06-08 21:00

    I love it ! Will you build some kind of fairlead off the top of the Zack Lift for the cable ?

  1065. #1065Truck Shop2018-06-08 21:04

    I will call you tomorrow afternoon on weather I will run to Ephrata Sunday morning or not RZ. If I do I will leave at 5:30 am to be there at 8:00 am. Truck Shop

  1066. #1066RZucker2018-06-08 21:30

    I just got your voicemail, been at the eye doc most of the afternoon. Eyes dilated and all that good stuff. I'm ready to go when you are.

  1067. #1067RZucker2018-06-08 21:34

    I think that's a bolt on Zacklift option, But knowing Mike... He'll build it.

  1068. #1068td25c2018-06-08 21:43

    Damn Hot Rodder's ! Always modifying on a machine until they get it tuned in and like it ....

  1069. #1069RZucker2018-06-08 22:29

    Really nice looking winch. The drum looks to be more of a hoist type rather then most winches that ruin wire rope rapidly on a small diameter spool. Is the small aluminum block on the passenger side a swivel for air operated brake and freespool ?

  1070. #1070RZucker2018-06-08 22:39

    Just saw this post, 22.5" rims to fit 20" Dayton centers are cheap too. I did up my F-800 service truck going that route. It was the same price total for radial tires and rims as it was to go with 10-20's and new tubes, flaps and crap 10x20 tires.

  1071. #1071Truck Shop2018-06-08 23:08

    Zacklift makes a fairlead that mounts on top of the vertical lift housing. Yeah RZ it has a air operated clutch for free spool Truck Shop

  1072. #1072Mother Deuce2018-06-09 08:06

    Hmmm That is a conversation piece I would like to have for weekend driver!

  1073. #1073DMiller2018-06-09 09:09

    MD those trucks still had the old Dodge L-Head 6, with a four speed and manual transfer case MANUAL steer no power brakes, drive like a real truck!! The concept was a good thought by Dodge, use existing molds and materials build a "Farmer's" universal truck many of which were factory winch and dual output PTO assemblies for driving towed attachments. Sorry to say parts supplies are petering out nationwide and only a few were trying to keep the high moving parts available.

  1074. #1074Mother Deuce2018-06-09 17:32

    After Kenworth center point steering LOL! I am OK with manual steering. I stick my big misshapen thumbs in the spokes of the wheel!

  1075. #1075RZucker2018-06-09 18:02

    I think somewhere I posted about using these PW's for welding rigs, My bad, they were M-37 military trucks with Nissan diesel conversions. They had the Wittenberg fiberglass hoods and cab tops. Very slow but in 1st gear and low range they would idle up most any slope we worked on.

  1076. #1076mowingman2018-06-09 18:44

    Parts for Dodge one ton Power Wagons are readily available with a little looking. Vintage Power Wagons, in Fairfield Iowa has a huge parts supply. Many nationwide parts stores have items, but their idiot counter workers don't know how to look them up. I have rebuilt old W300's and M37's. Currently the Big annual Power Wagon Rally is finishing up in Fairfield Iowa. Most likely over 100 Dodge trucks are there. Unfortunately, Power Wagons have been "discovered" by collectors and prices are out of this World, even for old Junkers in need of total rebuild. Really neat truck photos of these Dodges can be found on the Dodge Power Wagon Forum website.

  1077. #1077RZucker2018-06-09 22:43

    Update on Truck Shop's Mack... We are meeting tomorrow morning to get it on the hook for it's trip home. Should get some good pics too.

  1078. #1078td25c2018-06-10 07:55

    Spotted it on the Zack site . That's going to make a nice " Tugger Puller " rig .

  1079. #1079DMiller2018-06-10 07:55

    I owned a K100C with RW Center Point, absolutely WORTHLESS except for the hubs sticking out to sell axle cap covers and use for a step!!. I owned a W300, 1969 version, spring shackle pins I got the last two needing six, was nothing available on the old 14x1 1/2 shoe rears and the 11 x 1 1/4 fronts there were no parts guides even mention them and that was early 90's. Even the old Spicer u-joints were a special order as odd sized, yokes were a mess and had to be built up for reuse rather than buying replacements. Nothing on that old wagon was readily available just 20 some years ago.

  1080. #1080mowingman2018-06-10 10:36

    You are correct. The funny thing is, there are more parts available now than 20 years ago. I know there are reproduction parts avail. That we're not around back then. Also, the internet has made finding parts a lot easier. It is really not hard to find the parts to rebuild a W300 or an M37 Dodge. It is just getting very expensive. I could not afford to do it again, I know that.

  1081. #1081RZucker2018-06-10 16:42

    Some pics from this mornings festivities with the Mack.

  1082. #1082RZucker2018-06-10 16:56

    Not sure how the duplicates sneaked in, think the mouse pad is a little sensitive. Just lucky to get them posted at all.

  1083. #1083DMiller2018-06-10 17:15

    Who was those Old Farts rolling in the dirt!!! Looked like you two did fine, axles come out pretty easy?

  1084. #1084RZucker2018-06-10 17:30

    Axles came out real easy, bearings were grease packed, put the covers back on and easy peasy. Hooking up was almost an issue, the front tires had sunk in almost 2'' and the forks just barely cleared under the axle. Otherwise all went well.

  1085. #1085DMiller2018-06-10 18:36

    So those had the outer and inner seal grease packed hubs? Been a long time since had any of those apart. S-cam or Bendix brakes, caged easily on parking chambers I take it. Good thing as to not sunk too far. Sounds like a fruitful day for you two.

  1086. #1086RZucker2018-06-10 19:59

    S-Cam, with no spring chambers. pretty easy to knock them loose. Just heard from Mike, he made it home with no problems on the road. just took it slow and easy.

  1087. #1087td25c2018-06-10 20:07

    Install the chain forks & grab the old Bulldog off the front bumper with some 5/8 " chain to the steering axil .

  1088. #1088DMiller2018-06-10 20:17

    I wondered if the old girl was old enough for a Hand Brake.

  1089. #1089RZucker2018-06-10 20:21

    It just took a bit of down pressure an they slid right under, today was my first time with a lift rig... I like the concept. I can see the chain forks having a use.

  1090. #1090td25c2018-06-10 20:27

    That is really interesting countryside you have ! Mountains in some areas , green grass & trees in others and the last picture almost looks like badland / desert country . I would love to get out that direction some time .

  1091. #1091Truck Shop2018-06-10 20:40

    Washington St has the most diverse geology of damn near any state. Cascade Mt range, desert, Olympic Rain Forest, the Columbia and Snake rivers, Mt Rainier plus several other peaks, and the Puget Sound and coast line. Never gets dull. Truck Shop

  1092. #1092td25c2018-06-10 20:41

    Looks like those old cat's were having a pretty good time

  1093. #1093Truck Shop2018-06-10 20:45

    Parked it for now. Plus I found another B73 or 75 on my way home, I will to check that one out. It's parked among other old critters. Truck Shop

  1094. #1094Truck Shop2018-06-10 21:08

    TD25c if I wanted to use chains I would have bought a cable rig, fact is it was a easy hook. I spent 85% of my time airing up the tires. And using chain forks, those are for wrecks. The whole point of a wheel lift is leverage, try one you'll like like it move into this century. Truck Shop

  1095. #1095RZucker2018-06-10 21:23

    She had no trace of a driveline brake. but was set up for an old trailer style e-brake for the drivers, but once the air bleeds off...

  1096. #1096td25c2018-06-10 21:37

    I'm going to ride it out " Old School " with the 750 Holmes beds for the duration . Like you say ... It's all about leverage . I like wrapping chains on Mack trucks behind a KW .

  1097. #1097Truck Shop2018-06-10 21:43

    Oh that B has all the latest and greatest in driver comfort and innovations. By the way RZ I transplanted those yellow jackets in Walla Walla, They were still there clinging to the nest when I got here. Truck Shop

  1098. #1098RZucker2018-06-10 21:59

    We have a big problem here... The hoist hook on the passenger side is backwards, throwing the balance of the universe into chaos. but since the force is with you...

  1099. #1099Truck Shop2018-06-10 22:00

    Your forgetting TD that I owned and operated a Holmes 750 on my 66 Pete. Know all about those and operated a 850 Holmes and it will make a 750 look sick. Plus I had met Ed Zackovitch 35 plus years ago and operated the Z30 Zacklift mounted on a 79 Western Star that had a Holmes 750 on it. How much time did it take to remove that bumper? Try removing a plastic one on any newer semi along side the freeway and it's pulling a 53 footer. And you can't just drop the trailer right there. To remove one of the newer plastic units 1 hr minimum some 1.5 plus. My old rig below. Now back to memories for old truckers. Truck Shop

  1100. #1100Truck Shop2018-06-10 22:07
  1101. #1101td25c2018-06-10 22:07

    LOL ! RZ ... That Mack aint goin nowhere but following a Kenworth .....

  1102. #1102RZucker2018-06-10 22:11

    Isn't Ken down in your area? That's a really nice example.

  1103. #1103RZucker2018-06-10 22:14

    Some dogs need more leash training than others

  1104. #1104Truck Shop2018-06-10 22:31

    Goudy was down here for a while but I think he moved to Yakima. Truck Shop

  1105. #1105td25c2018-06-10 22:36

    Aint forgot nothing Truck Shop . That was a cool truck ! Ever just back up to a loaded tractor trailer with it & haul it in with it ? Just hook on & pull the rig in with the trailer ?

  1106. #1106RZucker2018-06-10 22:39

    Yeah, I remember he was an ATHS Board member at large, Met him at the Spokane ATHS show and a few years later at FT Wally world.

  1107. #1107RZucker2018-06-10 22:43

    You did convert the A/C to R134 Right?

  1108. #1108RZucker2018-06-10 23:42

    Old Emil would be proud.

  1109. #1109crane operator2018-06-10 23:43

    Glad to see you got the mack home truck shop. Now just so I understand this whole wrecker vs. wheel lift thing, I need like a 850 holmes, and a wheel lift? How about a 1801? Would that make both of you happy? https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1985-freightliner-45-ton/6590021550.html

  1110. #1110RZucker2018-06-11 00:18

    This pic was just a quick snap out the pickup window, I've sent it to several friends and all say it's awesome. Anyway this is 20 minutes from my front door. My kind of country.

  1111. #1111Mother Deuce2018-06-11 03:04

    Zackovitch 35 years ago... LOL! we must have been hanging around in the "Cottage Cafe" about the same time. Although it may have been 40 for me.

  1112. #1112td25c2018-06-11 07:25

    That sure is interesting country ! Just glancing at that last photo where Truck Shop is pulling out on the road with the Mack it almost looks like your in Nevada . Looks like they run cattle in there with the fencerows . I'll get out that direction one of these day's .

  1113. #1113Truck Shop2018-06-11 07:28

    Many times with several different units, but in Washington St you can only tow it to the next wide area and drop the trailer. Against the law to tow the whole unit for miles at a time. Washington St Patrol doesn't like A trains being towed down the highway. The old Cottage Cafe had good food. Truck Shop

  1114. #1114Truck Shop2018-06-11 07:36

    Most of eastern Wash was sage brush {grease wood at one time}. When the Columbia and snake rivers were damed and irrigation was available that changed the Columbia Basin. I will post some pics of the Wheat fields from my shop door. Truck Shop

  1115. #1115Truck Shop2018-06-11 07:39

    The problem with tow trucks like the one above with the 1801 is too much weight. Out here you have to cross scales. Truck Shop

  1116. #1116DMiller2018-06-11 07:52

    First wrecker I ever drove was a 1956 Diamond T single axle tractor(Still had fifth wheel) with locally made custom booms. was a lump and pretty much worthless but did as we could with it.

  1117. #1117td25c2018-06-11 08:01

    Good point crane op . Sling vs. under lift . Two different animals that will do the same job . With a sling wrecker you can stay shorter wheelbase . That's important for us due to some of the narrow country roads & playing around " Off Road " and pulling trailers . You know how that go's Our 750 units are both set up with welders , torch tanks and basic tools . Still do service calls with them for customers . If we caint fix it in the field we drag in to the shop .

  1118. #1118DMiller2018-06-11 08:04

    Had the benefit of seeing the machines up front at I-44 truck service St. Clair MO, they build most of their own with rotator booms, one of the heavy ones is registered as a Crane, oversize overweight and over engineered. Weighs in at 85,000 BY ITSELF. Cannot say I would enjoy working one of those.

  1119. #1119td25c2018-06-11 08:05

    I was trained on a 1968 IH single axil with home built bed & Tulsa 100 winch . Truck had 270 cummins , 10 speed & two speed air shift rear . We drug in everything with it .

  1120. #1120DMiller2018-06-11 18:48

    The old Mack have the Kiss your Sweet *** goodbye swing down low air flag? Saw the bullet hole in L W/S. Any attempt to start is yet? And photo of the 'Other' Bulldog? Love the old Dogs!!

  1121. #1121td25c2018-06-11 19:51

    That would be cool ! Love to see the pictures .

  1122. #1122RZucker2018-06-11 19:55

    The funny thing about that pic of "desolation"... To the left side is solid houses for 2 miles, then you hit town,. To the right more houses after a mile or 2.

  1123. #1123Truck Shop2018-06-11 20:29

    When I first went to work for D&M Motors and Towing in Ellensburg this what they owned. Except it was a 1963 K100 built by Continental Towing of L.A. 335 with a 5 & 4 married box, 60 ton boom line and 50 ton deck. All mechanical, It would flat out pull any store bought/high dollar manufactured tow unit made Both winches were Tulsa made, the sling board was the only one I have ever seen that stayed level with out lifting one side in a turn. The best sling made. Continental Towing built all there own trucks. And the Mack Superliner below use to belong to Fenn's Towing in La Grande Ore. It has a 1801 unit. And I'm quite sure that old dog has drug it's fair share of KW's off I-84. It's now owned by Ole Olsen Towing in N. Dakota. Truck Shop

  1124. #1124td25c2018-06-11 20:34

    And the boom won't swing out to the side !

  1125. #1125RZucker2018-06-11 20:51

    I think I built the AMT plastic model of that Continental tow rig. The body was the same but cant remember what the chassis was. I had a thing for those kits in the mid 70's. I liked to get 2 or 3 different kits and mix and match trucks with mounted equipment

  1126. #1126Truck Shop2018-06-11 21:14

    Not really necessary with a rig like Kevins KW 50 ton unit it has five winches. One mounted on top of each side stiff leg. He can pull from the side with two cables and/or positioned right he can use three cables and right a rig with trailer using the one rig. Plus he has a 1801 on a GMC General also Truck Shop http://dandmtowing.com/gallery.htm

  1127. #1127td25c2018-06-11 21:17

    Those 850's are pretty rare birds . Met a feller that retired from Holmes . He said they made 400 850 beds ...... From 1950 something to the end of production . 100 of those were shipped directly overseas to North Africa to work in oil fields and a few to Europe . Looked at an 850 on a 1969 Mack before buying the KW . Tolled the Old Man if the Mack " checks out " good we will bring it home . Drove down to look it over and first thing I noticed was the 850 mast was leaning back on the truck ..... Wasn't mounted correctly . Sub frame was mashed and I walked away from it . My thinking on the Holmes 850 bed ........ It was to big for most operators and a truck with c channel frame . If I was going to mount one we would start with a crane chassis . Be interesting to see what an 850 cost new vs. a 750 ? I bet it was about twice the cost . Any Idea ?

  1128. #1128RZucker2018-06-11 21:35

    Ryegrass sure seems to attract the wrecks, Orange and Blue trucks explain a lot.

  1129. #1129Truck Shop2018-06-11 21:36

    1988 was the last year for the 750-$48,000 dollars with bed. The last year for the 850 was 86 and built on order only. IIRC they built about 1000 850's at least. The Holmes 1801 came about IIRC 1984. The cost on a 850 then was $65,000. With the 850 on any truck four rails of 3/8 [two are liners} 100,000 lb rail was all that was needed. Standard frame rail is grade eight-80,000 lb tensile strength. The 100,000 lb rail was for severe duty rigs. Western Star loggers in the seventies came with 3/8 1000,000 lb rails. Those can be tough on drills and reamers. It was pretty rare to see a Star log truck with broken or cracked rails back then. Truck Shop

  1130. #1130Truck Shop2018-06-11 21:42

    I spent many hours on I-90 Ryegrass and I-82 cleaning up wrecks. Winter of 89 25* below with a 25 mph wind on top of Ryegrass, {froze my *** off} I did. Truck Shop

  1131. #1131RZucker2018-06-11 21:48

    That same time frame I was just north on the old Vantage highway thawing out loaders at that nasty silage pit.

  1132. #1132RZucker2018-06-11 21:52

    Back to that Continental tow rig, Was Continental Don Hines? Or just used his Rigs? Hard to find much info there.

  1133. #1133Truck Shop2018-06-11 22:35

    Hopefully this link comes out right, the KW on page 30 righting the trailer was the one D&M owned later on. I liked operating that rig. http://forum.aths.org/PrintTopic86631.aspx Truck Shop

  1134. #1134Truck Shop2018-06-12 20:04

    Here are some photos of the area around our shop. We have great views of all the seasons. I can look out the shop doors and have a great view of the Blue Mountains. When the winter wheat is 6" high the rolling hills around Walla Walla are a wonderful view. Truck Shop

  1135. #1135Truck Shop2018-06-12 20:05
  1136. #1136DMiller2018-06-12 20:09

    Been out your way many times. Owned Red River Trucking Portland OR for awhile on lease to IML Eagle early 80's, used to make regular runs raw steel to Comet Trailer or cable to Pacificorp, pull backhauls of lumber out. Last visit in 2009 to Uncle in Coeur d'Alene, ran west to Seattle and Bainbridge for a weekend then back to Uncles, saw Ellenburg after close to 30 years as well Seattle, Spokane and others. Lovely and sometimes desolate.

  1137. #1137DMiller2018-06-12 20:15

    I had forgotten how dry it got on the plateau, that drill was running 6" in dust.

  1138. #1138DMiller2018-06-12 20:16

    Love it out there.

  1139. #1139td25c2018-06-12 20:17

    That's pretty awesome Truck Shop ! Wheat harvest late July early August ? Have family in California & one of these day's I'm going to just take off & head west to visit & see the sights and landscape .

  1140. #1140DMiller2018-06-12 20:18

    Flat as KS in many places, at least as slick save the groves of Poplar around home sites.

  1141. #1141Truck Shop2018-06-12 20:24

    Normally harvest starts around July 10th, this year the 15th or so. The Walla Walla Sweet Onion Harvest started last weekend and supposedly it's a very good crop. Best sweet onion there is. Truck Shop

  1142. #1142hvy 1ton2018-06-12 20:28

    I am obligated to point out Kansas is the 7th flattest state in the US after Florida, Illinois, North Dakota, Louisiana, Minnesota and Delaware. Florida's highest point is 345' above sea level. On a side note, there would need to be a 34,000' mountain in western KS for it to not be flatter than a pancake.

  1143. #1143DMiller2018-06-13 06:49

    If I had been able to make a different choice as to place to retire would have been ID or WA states, CO is too politically correct for me but still really pretty, OR was OK but not as welcoming as WA, but will always have a love spot deep inside for the greater NW US.

  1144. #1144Wes J2018-06-13 20:36

    Hmm. I've never been to Florida or North Dakota, but I've been to Kansas (and all the others) and I'd rank it a hell of a lot flatter than Illinois. Northwest and Southern Illinois are very hilly and pretty rugged country. How can Iowa and Nebraska not be on their list?

  1145. #1145RZucker2018-06-13 21:12

    Taller overpasses?

  1146. #1146RZucker2018-06-13 21:48

    Here is some real desolation TD... Top pic is Cooper the coonhound checking for IEDs under the Suburban, second pic he's trying to keep the border collie from driving off and leaving us. These pics were out in no mans land between Warden and Lind Wa.

  1147. #1147td25c2018-06-13 22:16

    Cool picture RZ ! Pretty nice roads in " No Mans Land "

  1148. #1148RZucker2018-06-13 22:33

    The road we were on leads up to some bigger dryland wheat farms, so the county keeps it up well. Behind us is The BNSF mainline from Pasco to Spokane Wa. When they are running from the left to the right (south) its a good pull with an A+ sound show.

  1149. #1149Truck Shop2018-06-13 23:02

    Personally I like the town and area around Ralston RZ. Nice and quite. If I won a huge lotto I would buy the town burn it down and start over. And build a truck tractor museum. Truck Shop

  1150. #1150RZucker2018-06-14 02:15

    I dunno if I would burn the whole place down, there are some pretty nice old houses there. I kinda like the one built on top of the old store. There sure are a lot of those old towns that could be a good "lotto retirement" place. Not much in the way of local jobs, but a really nice place to live with cheap housing. In 1993 I looked at a 3 story Victorian house in Lind on a lot and a half with a good sized modern garage... $34K. But in the basement it still had a coal fired heating furnace, shovel included. I think the nearest fuel dealer that still supplied coal was in Kennewick at that time.

  1151. #1151Old Doug2018-06-14 19:21

    I have been alot of places and Mo is were i will stay but it could be better if i worked in a shop with AC.I lived in CO and i dont know if i will sver go back.

  1152. #1152td25c2018-06-14 20:06

    Little service call this morning . Buddy Wayne got hit by DOT yesterday with a grocery list of issues . None of them put the rig in any danger . What got him pulled over was a binder chain around the trailer dolly brace struts . What happened is he caught some rail road tracks pulling into a job site . Tweaked the landing gear a little & popped the diagonal brace off at the aluminum bracket on the trailer frame . So to get home he chained the brace rod up to the trailer . He needed to leave with the truck today at 3:00 pm .... Told him I could not get it done in time to where DOT would pass the repair work on the landing gear . He said OK ... I'll go ahead & haul this load as it is and bring the rig over Friday & fix the landing gear . I said " Cool ! " Buddy Wayne is an old school trucker . Turned 81 last month . Funny part was he hollered at me as I was leaving . Walked up to the vehicle & said ..... " If you ever catch your boy playing with toy trucks in the sand box make sure to tan his hide good so he wont grow up to be a truck driver " . LOL !

  1153. #1153td25c2018-06-14 20:52

    Happy 72 Don ! Love the picture of Don & Eric In the Grove RT crane . Keep up the good work bro ! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lead-tributes-Donald-Trump-72nd-birthday.html

  1154. #1154RZucker2018-06-14 21:12

    Looks like a 755RT I used to rent now and then.

  1155. #1155td25c2018-06-14 21:51

    Sure helps when ya got a feller that knows how to run" The Machine ".

  1156. #1156gruntscoreboard2018-06-15 01:33

    I remembered my uncle with the 262. But, yes you are right with it!

  1157. #1157Truck Shop2018-06-15 20:01

    Bought a set of Eaton 404 rear drives 3:70 ratio on Freightliner {Air Liner} air ride suspension to go under that B75. Plus a possible RTOO 12515 spd transmission. And I have a BCIV CPL 676 400 which I can make a BCIII out of for full flow cooling. When I'm done I'm hoping I end up with something like this picture I drew some ten years ago. Truck Shop

  1158. #1158colson042018-06-15 20:09

    That'll be a gorgeous truck when your done TS. Just a question, what's the advantage of making the BC IV into a BC III? I don't know squat about the BC series engines so I'm just looking to learn something.

  1159. #1159Junkyard2018-06-15 20:22

    That would be awesome. I’ve been searching for a set of 46 or 52k rears on Neway, Daytons, to stick under the 63 Acar. Also contemplating a repower replacing the 250 with a 400 or perhaps a build up much like Bruce does on the east coast

  1160. #1160Truck Shop2018-06-15 20:45

    The BCIV's were low flow cooling system with 1 inch radiator hoses, both feeding into the bottom radiator tank. The coolant flowed up the front half of the core to the top tank and down the back half of the core then back to engine. The bottom tank has a divider in it other wise the coolant would flow in and out never being pushed through the core. And those dividers were only sealed with #721 silicone, the silicone would deteriorate and the coolant would stop circulating through the core. Major over heat! The 676 CPL 400 is the only one of the IV's that have a higher compression ratio and a cam with slightly more lift. But you have to use that cam with 676 pistons or the valves will hit the pistons on any other BC. The 676 uses the the same oil cooler as the BCIII but It has model 45 Jakes which are better. So buy using the early after cooler and stat housing you can return it to full flow cooling with the large top and bottom radiator hoses. With a small amount of work you can make a 676 run right along. Truck Shop

  1161. #1161Wes J2018-06-15 21:21

    What was the theory with the low flow coolant? Was is supposed to be more efficient?

  1162. #1162RZucker2018-06-15 21:50

    Supposedly it could take more heat out and give better heat regulation in the engine to burn cleaner, until the tank dams gave up. I worked with a fleet of 19 BC 4 88 series in Volvos that did well, had a local radiator guy that knew low flows well and kept things going.

  1163. #1163colson042018-06-16 07:22

    Thank you for the explanation TruckShop.

  1164. #1164DMiller2018-06-16 07:47

    I remember the LFC engines, we had Binders with them Fleets of them, was a steady diet of pulling radiators to have them Internally resealed. Never understood nor believed that reasoning of Less coolant, smaller hoses, less materials costs and weight, supposed less HP losses and more consistent temps. Engineers just cannot fathom the KISS principle "Keep It Stupidly Simple"!! Cheapest, cleanest and most effectual well proved time and time again.

  1165. #1165Birken Vogt2018-06-16 10:19

    Why could the dam not be soldered in to the tank? Flex issues? Or even give it 2 tanks side by side, 1 in 1 out and 1 big one across the top?

  1166. #1166Truck Shop2018-06-16 19:41

    The baffle is U shaped on the bottom tank, the core has a straight length of divider attached from end to end between #2 and #3 cores and it slides down into the center of the U shaped piece. Sealed with #721 silicone.

  1167. #1167Birken Vogt2018-06-16 20:19

    Ah, I see now: http://www.airradiators.com/sites/default/files/tib_16.pdf I thought I remembered that some of them were 3 passes as well?

  1168. #1168DMiller2018-06-16 20:23

    Wasn't it three across the top, two at bottom? I vaguely remember but has been awhile. in at top, down and across, back up across, back down across and back up to out. Side tank systems were even worse.

  1169. #1169RZucker2018-06-16 20:57

    That sounds a lot like the Volvos I remember. But that was nearly 20 years ago too.

  1170. #1170Truck Shop2018-06-16 21:18

    Kw's both inlet and outlet ports were positioned at the bottom tank. And the hot side was on the back two rows pushed up to the top tank through a anti foaming baffle then down the front two rows and out. IIRC. I just know this system was a turd IMHO. Truck Shop

  1171. #1171RZucker2018-06-16 21:26

    Iirc, the Volvos used baffles welded across the tank with a "U" shaped rubber seal against the core header.

  1172. #1172RZucker2018-06-17 15:55

    I have been digging through old photo albums this weekend an found quite a bit of cool stuff. Hope to get pics scanned to a disc this week and get some posted. However Thursday is the cataract surgery, so it may take a bit.

  1173. #1173Wes J2018-06-17 17:33

    Thought I might drop this link here. Fascinating. They moved an entire narrow gauge railroad from Massachusetts to Maine using antique trucks. The convoy is headed up by some Mack FJ chain drive trucks. Video is from around 1993.

  1174. #1174RZucker2018-06-17 18:59

    That is a cool vid, I've seen this in still pics somewhere. Love the old Mack F series chain drives. A lot of other nice trucks in there too. The Diamond T, the Brockway... oops i'm drooling now.

  1175. #1175Truck Shop2018-06-17 19:48

    Great video, thanks for posting Wes J. Truck Shop

  1176. #1176Tenwheeler2018-06-17 20:08

    When I went to school on these it was explained that the coolant came out of the radiator and went straight through the after cooler. That gave maximum cooling to the the engine intake air for maximum performance. When the engine needed more cooling coolant was to be diverted to the engine as needed. That is the reason for two thermostats. The reason for the low flow was so the coolant spent more time in the radiator. That resulted in lower temperature coolant for the after cooler. Idea is great but Cummins finally went back to high flow with charge air coolers.

  1177. #1177Truck Shop2018-06-17 21:09

    Yeah and one problem with the early dual stats-the brass ones was after awhile those would wear a grove in the stat housing and start hanging up. A new stat housing was around $900 in 1997. Cummins was sure proud of those parts. Truck Shop

  1178. #1178Tenwheeler2018-06-17 21:31

    When they were fairly new 88-92? Cummins had tooling to remachine the housings and install different stats. We sent company trucks in on warranty. They were running hot. It was very important to get the numbers off the old stats and replace with the same normally. Cummins used to be much more friendly here. They would come out and cut counter bores. Install upper deck or cam bearings sleeves sleeves. That is a thing of the past.

  1179. #1179Truck Shop2018-06-17 21:39

    I hate to say it but I wouldn't trust Cummins or Cat to come do anything anymore. Cummins in Pendelton Ore is no more and the two cat houses have such a bad rep-well you know what I mean. Truck Shop

  1180. #1180RZucker2018-06-17 21:50

    I think a loy of that "unfriendliness" has to do with the amount of money the company has lost on warrantee repairs on EGR coolers, VGT turbos, and aftertreatment products, the profit margin has to be getting pretty thin.

  1181. #1181Truck Shop2018-06-17 22:08

    Little know fact but Cummins has changed hands 4 times in the last twenty years IIRC. Truck Shop

  1182. #1182RZucker2018-06-17 22:23

    A little preview of the pics I found. "61 KW I drove on weekends when my grain hauling gig was Monday through Friday .It had a 350 Cummins with a 9513, I actually drove it more before the sleeper was installed. I actually found this truck for the owner, it was about 4 miles from Truck Shop's Mack. At the time it had a really strong NH250. Wish I had bought the thing myself.

  1183. #1183Truck Shop2018-06-18 07:48

    Ah ha a new photo poster! Nice old girl RZ. Truck Shop

  1184. #1184Birken Vogt2018-06-18 09:21

    Can you clarify that a little? As far as I know they have been a public corporation for a long time. I do agree their customer service has gone you know where.

  1185. #1185Labparamour2018-06-18 11:17

    RZ, I love the hounds. Here’s my girl....getting ready for the day. When she’s on, she’s on but, when she’s ready to relax... I’m loving the pics and vids on this thread. Darryl

  1186. #1186Truck Shop2018-06-18 13:12

    Public or not corporations get bought and sold. And I very well could be wrong but they had a very large cash infusion in the early nineties. The big cam engines hurt them severely. Then they started to branch out with Onan, Nelson and Holset. Truck Shop

  1187. #1187DMiller2018-06-18 16:35

    Same is holding true around here as well TS. Just had that run in with the local Cat house, Cummins is a royal mess down in STL, the Detroit Dealer is not much better and chassis Manufacturer shops are iffy at best.

  1188. #1188RZucker2018-06-18 20:49

    They really don't turn out too bad just snapping them with my phone. But I need to get them scanned, they are loosing color and focus. There are some pics from the early 60's of my grandfather's equipment spread.

  1189. #1189RZucker2018-06-18 20:52

    Thanks, Cooper is a rescue dog, the vet said Black and tan and Bluetick cross, with a bit of something else. I think there's some pointer in there, he loves to point quail in my shrubs.

  1190. #1190Wes J2018-06-18 21:35

    I worked for a company that made some parts for Cummins. I wonder if their own internal quality control is as strict as the ringer they put their suppliers through. They were brutal to work with. Cummins doesn't seem afraid to get in bed with other manufacturers. They have had a long relationship with Case IH and some of the smaller Cummins engines are very similar to old IH and Case engines. Case New Holland now owns the Italian engine manufacturer IVECO, so I don't know what the status of that relationship is. They have some Chinese stuff going with Dongfang. I don't know who is the winner in that situation. I know that they have owned Holset since the 70s. But, I don't know about the others. The biggest thing Cummins has going for it is that they have outlasted everyone else. They are really the only independent truck engine option. Paccar has their own, Freightliner has what's left of Detroit Diesel, Mack and Volvo have their own, International had their Maxxforce disaster and is now using Cummins. No more Cat. So, even though the ISX is/was a pile of junk, they sell a ton of them because there is nothing else.

  1191. #1191Truck Shop2018-06-18 22:13

    Your correct Wes, Cummins sells right now because there the only Independent left standing. Back when Cummins was making the BCIV, New BCIV, NT88 and the 444 there were several class action suits against them. Some of the big fleets like C.R. England had bought hundreds of trucks powered by the Big Mistake. The word was out on those engines and Cummins sales plummeted, stock was real cheap. The one thing that redeemed them sort of was the design of lower press fit liners starting with the NT88 but even the NT88 was a turd. It was a know stay away from NT88 CPL numbers 839 & 840-total problem child's. Then Cummins ReCon engines were trouble- they were installing that wonderful piece of crap called a repair sleeve in a last ditch effort to save old blocks that had bad counter bores. When installed one repair sleeve was cut into the other repair sleeve because Cummins {IMO} could never figure out they needed to change the bore spacing. There was no meat left between counter bores after a 20/40 liners had been installed. Had Cummins added just 5/8" to the length of the block when building the 335 they wold have had less deck issues. Cat, Detroit and Mack had less issues because they didn't have three heads. The old variable time 475's with twin turbos is a great example of too much boost using a three head system. You couldn't keep head gaskets in those engines, broken head bolts, cracked water ports and counter bores that ended up crooked as hell. The deck surface was so waved out from end to end after 400,000 miles coolant leaked from the head sealing area like a soaker hose.. But even after all that I still like CPL 625 BCIII those were good engines. Truck Shop

  1192. #1192hvy 1ton2018-06-18 23:51

    Cummins hasn't put any engines in CNH Ag equipment since 2008. After that it's been all FPT/Iveco.

  1193. #1193DMiller2018-06-19 18:47

    Fiat Allis ended up with a breed of Iveco engines, could not keep heads or head gaskets on them as had a free standing cylinder arrangement NO continuous block deck(saved weight and material during casting} In other words CHEAP as CRAP. Mack sold the MAGIRUS line of trucks as their own when I worked there, called them Mid Liners and were the epitome of JUNK. I do not see much of ANY decent engines or equipment any more.

  1194. #1194RZucker2018-06-19 20:33

    Looked at a Midliner "conventional" with service body once... Ran away screaming.

  1195. #1195Wes J2018-06-19 20:40

    I thought Midliners were Renaults from France.

  1196. #1196RZucker2018-06-19 20:42

    Actually, I think you're right.

  1197. #1197td25c2018-06-19 21:14

    Got the landing gear lined out ..... I first thought Damn ! Just Damn ! But was able to glue the pieces back & hammer things in place . Had to make a new drive shaft connecting the landing gear as the old one was left on the job site . Went better then expected & someone got a load of lumber the next morning . Keep on Truckin Old Buddy !

  1198. #1198Birken Vogt2018-06-19 21:32

    California Dept. of Forestry had a bunch of them, they were the main thing for a while. They replaced some old C-series Ford and International cabovers with 3208s and 466s and such. I saw at least one here locally where they ripped out the Frog engine and put in a C-series Cummins. Well years went by and Mack abandoned that platform entirely and they could not get support any more so the Macks are gone but some of the old Fords and IHs they replaced are still around.

  1199. #1199Truck Shop2018-06-19 22:35

    Pete used those Renault piles in there business class beaters some years ago. I did a in-frame on one ten plus years ago-before I got done I was looking for a step stool and a rope. Truck Shop

  1200. #1200Wes J2018-06-19 22:35

    Here in the heart of International there are still tons of old mechanical DT466 powered trucks still running. The IH cabs did rust pretty badly, but IH builds one hell of a stout vocational truck. I have a 1985 S1850 IH that was built as a plow truck for the county. Can't kill it. The front end is a little loose from carrying a 12 foot plow, but it's a good truck. IH just should have stayed out of the 12 liter + engine market and they probably would have been fine. Oh, and they should have walked away from that whole "Cat" truck badge engineering debacle.

  1201. #1201Wes J2018-06-19 22:39

    Bobcat tried a Renault diesel engine as a lower cost alternative to the Kubota engines. It's built like a **** box car engine with a timing belt. Of course, the belt would break and the pistons would do their best to close those open valves. You pretty much can't give one of those machines away.

  1202. #1202crane operator2018-06-19 22:44

    https://www.purplewave.com/auction/180620/item/DC0640 1979 pete. Spreader bed. I was just glancing through the pictures and thought- wait a minute - whats wrong with that wheel. No bolts for the drum- but then I realized no front brakes- so no drum.

  1203. #1203Truck Shop2018-06-19 22:45

    An AG/fertilizer company I worked for had eight early 80's 1850 IH's with 466's 6613's on 44,000 lb Hendrickson with 18,000 lb steer axles dual frames. You couldn't kill one of those rigs tough as hell they were. Truck Shop

  1204. #1204crane operator2018-06-19 22:47
  1205. #1205RZucker2018-06-19 22:47

    Looks ex Canadian logger to me.

  1206. #1206Truck Shop2018-06-19 22:51

    It's got an A model 3406, It says spring suspension, but that is 46,000 lb Hendrickson beam biscuit. Truck Shop

  1207. #1207crane operator2018-06-19 22:53

    Brakesaver oil temp and main and aux trans temps in the gauge package. So not its first transmission set up. All the kg's in the door tag would suggest canada. Couldn't see in the pics if the brakesaver is still there.

  1208. #1208RZucker2018-06-19 22:54

    The Pete and Kenworth fakes were actually Brazilian built by Volkswagen, I think, the couple I have seen up close had 8.3 Cummins engines and 6 speed transmissions. The wing window glass was etched with "Volkswagen". Really.

  1209. #1209Wes J2018-06-19 22:55

    Tough, yes. Fast, no. The DT466 is a great engine, but 62,000 lbs would be a handful for it. I think the old ones were around 215 hp and 550 lb-ft. When I drove them I always joked that they could get rid of the accelerator pedal and just give me an on/off switch. My brother has a 1989 S1850 tandem DT466 with Hendrickson suspension and a 9 speed Eaton. Weighs 21,000 empty. Add an 8,000 lb tag trailer and a 26,000 lb excavator and pretty much every hill will have you in low range.

  1210. #1210crane operator2018-06-19 22:57

    Whats with the double brake handles? Is one a control for the brakesaver?

  1211. #1211RZucker2018-06-19 23:09

    Yep, short one controls the brakesaver, allows you to feather the application.

  1212. #1212Birken Vogt2018-06-19 23:14

    Correct they were made by VW. Local rock company had one for small landscape deliveries. I heard it was a pain to get a windshield for it, can't remember if my friend broke it when working on the truck or if it was somebody else, ouch. They got rid of that thing right quick when they had a chance. I don't know if it had a Cummins or not.

  1213. #1213Tenwheeler2018-06-19 23:56

    There is a Mack 427 here with names cast on the inside of the valve covers. Inside of one is Mack and inside the other is Renault. In the last few years Volvo took over the Renault portion to my understanding. Some new trucks came with Mack filters on one side and Volvo filters on the other. The local Volvo dealer could not get the filters with their name on them. Mad as Heck! Them there are Malvos.

  1214. #1214DMiller2018-06-20 05:48

    Could have sworn the ones I saw in 1977 had Iveco engines in them, were junk without a doubt Iveco or Renault.

  1215. #1215DMiller2018-06-20 05:52

    Found it: Were Magirus with Iveco at start, then Merged Renault and thus developed the Francentruck. https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/41145-magirus-trucks-–-designed-for-america/

  1216. #1216Truck Shop2018-06-20 07:45

    The 1850's that ag company had didn't have to go fast-90% of the time those trucks sat in the field with anhydrous tanks mounted on them. But in low range they were great for the hilly wheat fields around here. Truck Shop

  1217. #1217td25c2018-06-20 08:01

    The Old Man was walking around pointing out all the little stress cracks on the aluminum flatbed while I was wrestling with the landing gear . Yep, they start busting up after so many years . Aint like a steel trailer . There's a good reason ya don't see lowboys & crane booms built out of aluminum. Aluminum should be saved for building aircraft & 6-71 super chargers .

  1218. #1218Wes J2018-06-20 16:59

    I've seen a lot of cracked frames in steel flat beds. Especially the Transcraft trailers with steel frames and aluminum decks. Pretty much all spread axle flatbeds will eventually crack the web of the beam in front of the front axle. I don't know if it's just the side load from turning, or a combination of side load and vertical load.

  1219. #1219DMiller2018-06-20 18:38

    Aluminum is a bit different in that it flex (Work) hardens over time and stress cracking cannot continually be controlled. Saw it in the 70's with aluminum dry bulk tank trailers, the stress of pressurizing then the pounding on them on the highways with typical loads they would stress harden in corners and along existing welds, could chase cracks indefinitely when at some point the owners got the message and scrapped them after 15 years hard use. Same for the aluminum flatbeds, unless can get one into a oven and return the flexibility then the hardening just builds with even more hardening around fresh welds.

  1220. #1220DMiller2018-06-20 18:40

    My favorite quote on Internasties: Too fast for the field, Too slow for the road, Go International. Will not run paint it Red, still won't then Chrome it!! GO International!!!

  1221. #1221Truck Shop2018-06-20 21:17

    I think the Beach Boys had a song about Internationals at harvest time. I think I started something like this {It happened in the corn field where the rows are wide two thrashed Detroit's and a beat 335, Rev'ed up their diesels and each threw a rod through the side, Smoke it up-smoke it up buddy gonna shut you down. Truck Shop

  1222. #1222RZucker2018-06-24 23:36

    This is my old iron... sort of, its a 2000. Saturday I couldn't take the cabin fever anymore and had to get out and drive with the new eye. It was a great trip. Poor truck has mostly been sitting for the last 4 months since the eyesight got real bad, but we're back in the saddle now. This pic is from the old Corfu townsite between Beverly and Othello Wa. That is the old Milwaukee RR mainline in the background, Chicago to Tacoma, and shutdown in 1978.

  1223. #1223DMiller2018-06-25 06:48

    At least you all do not see the salt we do, my 99 Chariot is losing the rear cab corners and doors skins from Salt Cancer. 99 F250SD with 7.3 diesel, 340,000 on it now and getting tired!

  1224. #1224RZucker2018-06-25 16:20

    That's one good thing about the desert. There are days I wish mine had the diesel but this V-10 has been good to me. It gets close to 15MPG most of the time and has no payments. Plus it doesn't have the 3 valve heads, I have rebushed all 10 plug holes with "Time-sert" bushings... those will last longer than I will.

  1225. #1225Truck Shop2018-06-25 20:26

    A slightly rare B61 with sleeper I found this last weekend. Truck Shop

  1226. #1226RZucker2018-06-25 20:31

    I think tall critters like you and I would have some real comfort issues in that sleeper. Neat truck though.

  1227. #1227crane operator2018-06-25 22:47

    International- someone said international. 1931 AW-2- better make your mind up quick because it sells wednesday. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...Pickups_and_Vans-1/2_Ton_Pickup_or_Van-Kansas I don't know, but I think even I could work on this thing, it looks pretty simple. That starter better work though- I'm not liking the look of that hand crank start- how would you fit between the frame rails and headlights to even get in there?

  1228. #1228Truck Shop2018-06-25 22:51

    Yes crane operator that IH is a power house, all it needs is Jed Clampett. Truck Shop

  1229. #1229td25c2018-06-25 22:52

    That's Great RZ ! That calls for some Jackson Browne !

  1230. #1230Junkyard2018-06-25 22:55

    Speaking of Jed....my kin created and produced that very show! Reckon that’s where I got my hillbilly ways?

  1231. #1231crane operator2018-06-25 23:18

    Don't blame your relatives, some of us learned all on our own. Back on the old international- I did think the overload spring set up was kind of interesting.

  1232. #1232RZucker2018-06-26 02:51

    Hey, you picked one of my favorite tunes there.

  1233. #1233DMiller2018-06-27 06:29

    Would be a little concerned of the rattle can primer job as don't know what all they are trying to cover up on the 61. Those overloads I dare say look to be slappers, get the right weight and every bump would slap the hell out of the suspension as well the driver!!

  1234. #1234Mother Deuce2018-06-30 06:06

    V10, just right... when I was working for a large contractor in Seattle we ordered 15 or 20 trucks mostly 1 tons. We had one mistakenly show up with the V10. The decision was made to keep it and it was sent to the shop for box's rails and rack. After it was issued the superintendent driving it stopped in my office and asked if I had driven it. I said no I hadn't. He flipped me the key's and I went down stairs to a full loaded 1ton pickup pulling a compressor. I took off around the block... very impressive the V 10. Should have had a lap timer!

  1235. #1235Crummy2018-06-30 08:40

    I had two almost identical F250SD's at the same time so I got to compare 'real time'- an '01 7.3 [personal] and an '03 V10 [work]. I should have sold the 7.3, I really liked that v10. Funny story on the v10 rig- I knew the RM here for United Rentals and he'd give me great deals on equipment that they were rotating out. I peeled a LOT of UR stickers off of stuff. I let him know I was looking for a work truck & he called later " I got one for you, go pick it up at our XXXX branch. Just do it, don't ask." . I went to pick it up and the store manager went " What!? Nobody told me!" . When I got the bill from UR that month there was a line item for: Rototiller - $7,000. I never questioned the "discrepancy".

  1236. #1236RZucker2018-06-30 13:13

    This one is my third V10, The first was a '96 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a service body, then a '99 F350 with a crew cab and service body. Both trucks were loaded pretty heavy with welder, air compressor and tools. I actually weighed the F350 and it was hitting 11,500... on single rear wheels. Both of those V10's gave more than acceptable gas mileage for the job. This one is just a weekend pet.

  1237. #1237crane operator2018-06-30 13:40

    Well its not quite old enough to be a antique, and not quite new enough to fix back up and put to daily work, but its now mine. 1985 freightliner, 3406, 15 speed. Has a water tank on it right now, used to be a dump truck (rear pivots are still on the frame). It does run and drive right now. Tires are junk and the cab is pretty rough. I really just bought it thinking I could part it out and make a little in the middle, maybe keep the transmission. I've got $2860 in it (auction), and I have to drive a little under a hour away with the rollback trailer to bring it home. Surely I can sell the engine, trans and rear cutoff, maybe the water tank/ hood or cab/doors, scrap the rest and make a little? The easiest sell in my area- is as a dump truck, but to put tires and a bed on it, and fix all the other things potentially wrong with it is going to take some $. I'm afraid its going to cost too much and be nothing left in it for all the work.

  1238. #1238Wes J2018-06-30 15:19

    I wonder if the hubs would fit my axles. Surely lighter than the Dayton style I have.

  1239. #1239crane operator2018-06-30 17:28

    I'm not going to discourage you from buying parts wes, but if I've got my choice between budds and daytons, I'd run daytons every time. I hate budds. The threads are so fine and invariably one stripps out. That and on the side of the road, it seems like its always a inside one you need, and you take off 10 nuts, then you have another 10 to do. Daytons- 5 or six lugs and they're both in your lap. I realize they are kind of a pain to get straight, but on the side of the road daytons are hard to beat.

  1240. #1240Truck Shop2018-06-30 17:36

    Long day- Went to work yesterday at my usual 6 am then left at 5:30 pm for the top of Snoqualmie Pass mp 54 I-90. Towed one over dropped it re-hooked to a new truck with only 18,000 miles on it-{cracked radiator tank} and towed it back to Pasco to the dealer-returned to the yard at 4:30 am went to work till noon. Time for a nap. Total miles 460. Truck Shop

  1241. #1241RZucker2018-06-30 17:44

    Plastic tank no doubt.

  1242. #1242Truck Shop2018-06-30 17:44

    Anti Seize on those threads stops that problem and if it's an inside run it flat to the next tire shop. Try handling Minnesota mags in a fleet of trucks and trailers and you will be looking for a set of aluminum's on low pros with hub pilot. Truck Shop

  1243. #1243Truck Shop2018-06-30 17:46

    That's all there is anymore. Truck Shop

  1244. #1244RZucker2018-06-30 17:49

    Yeah, got one newer KW that I replace the rad every 6 months like clockwork. Too many washboard roads.

  1245. #1245crane operator2018-06-30 19:50

    I'm all for hub pilot. Its just budd's that usually end up causing me difficulty. And also a big vote for the anti-seize also, but there's always that first time with new to me equipment that hasn't been apart. And as far as driving to the next tire shop, I thought you were in the middle of nowhere eastern washington, how far would you have to travel to a tire shop? I'm betting its just as far for you, as it is for me (probably farther for you in most cases). I don't have a big onboard compressor as a mobile tire shop, so I'm by hand for getting them loose. nope- no- no way. No fleet here, don't even wish something like that on me. That would be enough to drive me to drinking- hard......

  1246. #1246Wes J2018-06-30 20:14

    The Daytons are strong, and I don't mind the inboard drums, but the hubs are very heavy. If I could go to hub pilot and aluminum rims I bet I could save 1,000 lbs.

  1247. #1247Truck Shop2018-06-30 20:14

    It caused me to quit drinking. Truck Shop

  1248. #1248RZucker2018-06-30 20:21

    I was told a tire guy has to have a size 4 hat and a size 20 neck...

  1249. #1249Truck Shop2018-06-30 21:29

    At the zoo what toy is in the gorilla cage? Truck Shop

  1250. #1250RZucker2018-06-30 21:45

    A truck tire.

  1251. #1251DMiller2018-06-30 23:38

    As far as running out with weight Daytons can match Budds but the maintenance on the spoke hubs is terrible plus the trueing rims as install has always been a major pain, always preferred Budd wheels, a 1" gun and a decent compressor they are either on or off quickly, easy to size up if lug holes are worn too far or eroded at all, just prefer the disc wheel Budd.

  1252. #1252Truck Shop2018-07-15 18:58

    Found some info on another forum that Hall Scott is looking at building engines again. Truck Shop http://www.hallscottengines.com/Page.html

  1253. #1253RZucker2018-07-15 20:52

    I couldn't find much about new engines, but the 1091 would be awesome on CNG. I think they were 375HP on butane in the 50's. I have looked over a 50's KW with the 540 HS in running condition (Not for sale) the owner said the performance was equal to a Chevy 427 at much lower rpm. Originally a fire truck converted to farm duty in the late 60's.

  1254. #1254DMiller2018-07-16 06:44

    Cool site, the old engines always fascinated me as they did run well crude as they were they were technologic marvels. Hall Scott had a similar niche as did Allison/GM, I suspect the GM was further along developing larger and then diesels so beat out the HS works pushing them into obscurity.

  1255. #1255farmerlund2018-07-18 19:44

    Found this old REO a few years ago. Used to belong to a local house mover. I like the accumulators on front spring

  1256. #1256RZucker2018-07-18 19:57

    I looked at an identical truck 15 years ago, same grille and hood, has the air springs too, but was badged as a Federal. Wish I knew were it went, It was sitting in the weeds with a Lacrosse military lowboy hooked on to it. Owner would not sell at that time. I hope the scrappers didn't get it. There was also a good sized 40-50 something GMC cabover tandem with a huge old crude cable tool drill rig sitting next to it.

  1257. #1257DMiller2018-07-18 20:00

    Old Military chassis, note the air connections under the front end, for towing. Very cool!!

  1258. #1258td25c2018-07-18 20:21

    Wonder if they was worried about the 5th wheel jaws on a hard tug ? Noticed its mounted backwards .

  1259. #1259RZucker2018-07-18 20:33

    Yep, I think several builders built these trucks to a military spec and put their name plate on them. Seen more than a few old pics of these with military Wreckers on them usually referred to as a Federal. Not sure which engine they used but the one I looked at was BIG.

  1260. #1260RZucker2018-07-18 20:35

    The one I saw had the fifth wheel mounted in the standard configuration but I think it had a 3" pin.

  1261. #1261farmerlund2018-07-18 21:25

    This one has a big continental engine in it. The old guy that used to own it said they put the fifth wheel on backwards to prevent it from unhooking when pulling hard. Kind of a cool old beast.

  1262. #1262Truck Shop2018-07-18 21:52

    During WWII Federal shared the cab and other sheet metal plus most of the designs with other truck manufactures because Federal was getting a percentage of each one built if it said Federal, Reo or Biderman. Truck Shop

  1263. #1263RZucker2018-07-18 21:53

    Biederman... that was the third I was trying to think of.

  1264. #1264Truck Shop2018-07-18 21:58

    I've always found that interesting that people think a fifthwheel will fail on a hard pull. If they looked at the yoke jaw design of a Holland they would see that when the yoke is back blocking the holes in the bolster plate the jaws cannot open. The metal standard and forming process for a king pin has not changed in 75 years. SAE. Truck Shop

  1265. #1265RZucker2018-07-18 22:06

    Yeah, try unlocking one with a bit of "pull" on it... aint gonna happen.

  1266. #1266Birken Vogt2018-07-18 22:25

    I think I would rather have it mounted the regular way, so a trailer did not come join me in the cab in an emergency.

  1267. #1267td25c2018-07-18 22:38

    Captain go's down with the ship mate .

  1268. #1268DMiller2018-07-19 06:38

    Had seen old Military units with Continental, Hercules and White gasoline engines, all tough old birds.

  1269. #1269colson042018-08-23 11:27

    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/d/1941-mack-truck-chassis/6664308150.html

  1270. #1270RZucker2018-08-25 22:14

    If this was 1500 miles closer.... Nice old EH model there.

  1271. #1271colson042018-08-26 09:25

    If I had a shop to do the restoration in and store this (and all my other projects ), I would already have it. I need to find that magic seed that grows the money tree first though ...

  1272. #1272crane operator2018-08-26 10:04

    I don't see anything in the listing about him not wiling to ship it. Come on, go dig under that mattress and get that thing loaded up and the boxes of parts, and get them on a truck headed your way. It's only $, you can't take it with you.

  1273. #1273RZucker2018-08-26 13:23

    If I had a dollar for every "project" I have now... I would buy another project.

  1274. #127492U 34062018-09-01 08:34
  1275. #1275colson042018-09-01 17:27

    Don't show this to my wife...

  1276. #1276DMiller2018-09-01 17:59

    Don't show this to my wife... LOL!!!!

  1277. #1277RZucker2018-09-01 18:21

    Actually... I am lucky to not be married, and my other half seems to support my stupid. In fact she will say "Look at that old truck" when we are traveling.

  1278. #1278colson042018-09-01 18:24

    My problem is I love anything mechanical or farming related and my wife loves vacations . I'd rather take time off to stay home and work/tinker and she always wants to go somewhere.

  1279. #1279RZucker2018-09-01 19:19

    Mine knows what interests me I guess.

  1280. #1280Tugger22018-09-02 13:33

    Mines good, she just takes lots of books when i chase crane booms

  1281. #1281RZucker2018-09-03 15:10

    Saw this very same truck last week scooting west on I-90. Knew I had seen it here.

  1282. #1282Truck Shop2018-09-03 15:33

    Headed to Brooks Ore for the truck show, there was around 1,000 trucks there last year. The Brooks show is the last week in August each year. Truck Shop

  1283. #1283Truck Shop2018-09-03 15:42
  1284. #1284DMiller2018-09-03 15:52

    Tons of Blood Sweat and Tears as well welding, manufacturing and piecing these old beasts together, quite impressive.

  1285. #1285Crummy2018-09-13 14:37

    @Truck Shop and @RZucker : Omega-Morgan is doing a 1+ million lb. 360' long 21' tall move the nights of the 17/18 & 18/19 SR-14 & then up US-97. Should be pretty cool stuff knowing them.

  1286. #1286Truck Shop2018-09-13 20:22

    That would will be a show for sure. If there going the route of 14 then 97 the grade at Maryhill to Goldendale will be a super major pull as many parts of 97 will be. Big event for the little town of Stevenson. What are they moving? ---Thanks, Crummy. Truck Shop

  1287. #1287Truck Shop2018-09-13 21:16

    https://www.omegamorgan.com/

  1288. #1288RZucker2018-09-13 22:41

    Rats, I'm heading a different direction early in the morning on the 20th. Hoping somebody gets pics of this.

  1289. #1289Crummy2018-09-13 23:57

    I heard it's a big wind turbine.

  1290. #1290Crummy2018-09-14 00:05

    They have some awesome equipment. The loader looks like it's doing its share.

  1291. #1291JPV2018-09-14 00:58
  1292. #1292Truck Shop2018-09-14 07:38

    Ah ha they loaded on the east side of 97 it looks like. Thanks JPV. Looks like a transformer their moving. Truck Shop

  1293. #1293DMiller2018-09-14 07:39

    Massive transformer. Similar to what we had at my last employer. Each of these was a single phase step up from 24,000v to 365,000v, held 10,000 gal. mineral oil in Each one. Plus a spare. We had these four a Unit Auxiliary that fed back into the plant at power a Startup for getting it all running and two main ring bus feeder units as big or bigger. Not to mention all the support units.

  1294. #1294Truck Shop2018-09-14 07:40

    DM and I will go take pics for you.

  1295. #1295Truck Shop2018-10-04 22:01

    Guess what year this old girl is-----------only three were built and owned by the same person. And not the kiddo setting in front. Truck Shop

  1296. #1296RZucker2018-10-04 22:16

    Im gonna say '60-'61? That tilt hood must have been a very early one.

  1297. #1297525isx2018-10-04 23:52

    that was a glider kit- when mick moss owned it I switched out the walking beams to a set of rears with 4 springs

  1298. #1298crane operator2018-10-04 23:53

    1957 Mack b model. Supposedly a 6-71. Come on DMiller- you gave up trucking full time, you need a hobby, and its only $3,000. https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1957-model-mack/6706251755.html

  1299. #1299DMiller2018-10-05 07:11

    Can only sit back and dream these days. Too many project irons already in the fire and a wife less receptive to my spending limited retirement funds!!

  1300. #1300DMiller2018-10-05 07:12

    Probably meant END 673 engine.

  1301. #1301Truck Shop2018-10-05 07:34
  1302. #1302crane operator2018-10-05 22:19

    Paging Junkyard, Paging Junkyard - detroit on line 1 https://joplin.craigslist.org/hvo/d/kenworth-71/6715590160.html $5,500 71 KW with 8v71 Might have to add a little onto the exhaust stack, its a little short...

  1303. #1303Junkyard2018-10-05 22:30

    You rang? I haven’t been on CL in awhile. May have to go take a look. I did spend a little of my toy budget on an M1 Garand the other day......

  1304. #1304RZucker2018-10-05 22:39

    What did you get? Early WW2? or later? My first M1 was a 1942 Springfield/Danish rebuild. 6 digit serial. The second was a Custom .308 build with all new CMP wood and a later Springfield (postwar) receiver. Got an M1A and a BM59E to round it all out. Of course the girlfriend has claimed the Garands as her's. (shoots them better than I do).

  1305. #1305crane operator2018-10-05 22:40

    Well if its a shooter and you're bringing the ammo- I'll help burn some of it up. If its just a safe queen, bring it over, I'll break it in, then you can just go put it back in the safe and what you don't know- won't hurt you. I had a guy try to sell me some consecutive numbered shotguns, as new, unfired in the box. They were nice guns, but the unfired rarity wouldn't mean much once they were in my hands, I guess I'm not going to own something I can't shoot. I passed on them, they would mean more $ wise to a collector. The KW actually looks pretty straight in the pictures.

  1306. #1306RZucker2018-10-05 22:45

    Interesting truck, set back steer axle in 1971. Not sure why an 8V-71 needs a dual pyro. The exhaust must be for oval track truck races? Got to be LOUD.

  1307. #1307Junkyard2018-10-05 23:00

    May 1943 build. 7 digit S/N. It’s a shooter. In good shape. Hasn’t been restored or anything like that. Not sure what kind of action it’s seen. Anxious to get my hands on some safe ammo and make some noise!!

  1308. #1308Truck Shop2018-10-05 23:03

    C500, the first model of the T800 was built in 64 with the short hood model. Truck Shop

  1309. #1309Junkyard2018-10-05 23:05

    I had a 74 (I think) C500. 1693, 6 speed Allison, 1241C and 65K rears. It was a hoss. Should have kept it!

  1310. #1310Truck Shop2018-10-05 23:06

    Firearms?

  1311. #1311Junkyard2018-10-05 23:19

    Didn’t mean to hijack

  1312. #1312Wytruckwrench2018-10-05 23:29

    I just took a self loader and bunks off of a A model Kenworth. I can’t remember the year 8V92 and 13 speed. Supposed to have been overhauled very recent. I’ll have to take some pics. I put the loader and bunks on a R model Mack that I had overhauled a while back.

  1313. #1313Junkyard2018-10-05 23:32

    That would be a cool one to have as well. No need for a radio in one of those!

  1314. #1314Truck Shop2018-10-06 03:04

    I have no problem with firearms as long as the person handling it knows how to handle it. Truck Shop

  1315. #1315RZucker2018-10-06 14:46

    Didn't that funny looking S-model fall in there in that era? Had the high mount cab with the anteater nose?

  1316. #1316crane operator2018-10-06 15:48

    I passed on this on a sale today. Who knows what I would have done with it. Chrysler engine, all wheel drive and all wheel steer. It was a surplus airplane tug- said it could pull 100,000lbs. Front bumper and rear bumpers were big cast counterweights. They had it all chained up as a snowplow. Tag on the dash said max of like 10mph I think.

  1317. #1317RZucker2018-10-06 15:54

    Definitely a Coleman product.

  1318. #1318Junkyard2018-10-06 16:37

    How cheap?

  1319. #1319DMiller2018-10-06 16:38

    My Back hurt just looking at EITHER!!!!

  1320. #1320RZucker2018-10-06 18:01

    Sucker... Actually that one would be fun to play with in the snow

  1321. #1321Junkyard2018-10-06 18:08

    Haha yeah. Absolutely no idea what I’d do with it.....but hey I’ve got some empty parking spots!

  1322. #1322crane operator2018-10-06 18:28

    It brought like $2100. It would be handy for a rigging project that you needed a all wheel steer 4x4, with short turn radius, like for tugging planes around . The college used it for the student/ workers to putter around the two times a year we get snow. I'm sure they got it military surplus probably 40 years ago. But really, a 4x4 pickup would be 10 times handier for that job. I looked it over a little bit, saw it had hydraulic brakes, but saw air tanks under the passenger seat. They must have needed air to release the plane brakes, because the lines just ran to the rear. The rear steer was independent with a lever in the cab.

  1323. #1323Truck Shop2018-10-06 18:36

    Everyone needs one of those. Truck Shop

  1324. #1324Wytruckwrench2018-10-07 19:38

    1979 Kenworth. Not a bad truck. Has newer rear ends and Pete air leaf.

  1325. #1325DMiller2018-10-07 19:45

    Another Franken-truck?

  1326. #1326Truck Shop2018-10-07 20:58

    I never understood why Pete stayed with the air leaf, the low air leaf is a good setup. The old air leaf had steep intermediate drive shaft angles and could be hard on U-joints. Not to mention it jacked the after frame up so in odd situations it would or could get into trailer cross members. Truck Shop

  1327. #1327DMiller2018-10-09 12:46

    We got on a tangent of old bikes awhile back, stumbled onto these two photos, my 1979 XS850 three lunger Yamaha and my XS1100. The color is deceiving as the 850 was Dark Red Blood Maroon. the cars were our dirt track racers from my days in Ft.Scott KS.

  1328. #1328DMiller2018-10-09 21:01

    22Jr was Paul Belleau's car, his brother Charlie drove number 7. Hated taking the absolute most straight Chevelle coupe body off a beautiful car but had NO title and we converted to a dirt tracker. Paul became Fire Captain in Ft.Scott, have no idea where either are these days and undoubtedly they have long forgotten this big mug.

  1329. #1329RZucker2018-10-09 21:17

    That C20 Chevy looks pretty close to new in those pics. Got a soft spot for those old squarebodies. My first new truck was a '79 K20 Silverado with power everything and a 400 small block. Later turned into a welding rig.

  1330. #1330Junkyard2018-10-09 21:54

    I noticed the tail end myself. Brings back childhood memories for me. I have one here at the shop. Military 1-1/4 ton. It may very well become a welding rig as well. It’s got a whopping 25k miles on it.

  1331. #1331DMiller2018-10-10 06:55

    Yes RZ that was a '78 C20, I was moving to OK, was back in MO picking up that 850 when that photo was taken, my previous was a '77 K20 bronze color that also had a square back shell on it, had already put 75000 miles on it buying it in Nov of '76 with gas then going over a WHOPPING $.55/gallon dropped back to 2wd but as usual the old GMs got 15 mpg downhill after 8mpg up, BOTH wagons averaged close to the same 12mpg, 350 4bbl. Saginaw crashbox 4 spds. I was not shy to push the pedal down either!! in '82 could not afford a newer truck anymore, bought a used '79 C15 Chevy Heavy Half for half the price of a new truck also First AUTO truck I owned, kept it until '87 and went Ford from there out. Wife's influence!!

  1332. #1332motoOzarks2018-10-10 22:17

    I also had a xs850 for a bit. I always liked 3 cylinder with kick start. And I had a 66 Chevelle back in the day. 283, powerglide, bucket seats, console, 2 barrel, all red. Very easy car to drive.

  1333. #1333crane operator2018-10-10 22:39

    I saw this truck the other day here in town. Evidently now he's trying to sell it. Its some scrapper that owns it, he put a little log loader in the bed, when I saw it he had it all loaded down with appliances and debris. And he had all the scrap loaded on the little trailer behind him, and nothing in the bed, he must have the loader welded down in the bed. He must want to keep the dump bed and loader, he's trying to sell it bare chassis. 67 Autocar, $5,500 https://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/d/67-autocar-truck/6710709892.html

  1334. #1334motoOzarks2018-10-10 23:01

    In my neck of the woods

  1335. #1335DMiller2018-10-11 07:10

    If was Red could have been that beast I drove in the 80's hauling fuel!! except not on Daytons and not enough Rust. Although it was a '74

  1336. #1336Truck Shop2018-10-13 22:26

    I was surfing the web listening to music and ran on to this one, forgot about it. Remember it from the early 60's. Truck Shop

  1337. #1337Truck Shop2018-10-16 07:38

    Actually trucking was easier years ago from the stand point of rules and regulations. Truck Shop

  1338. #1338Truck Shop2018-10-23 22:13

    Some photos inside the old Kenworth manufacturing facility at the corner of Yale and Mercer in Seattle, during late thirties early forties. Things were pretty simple in those days. Truck Shop

  1339. #1339Truck Shop2018-10-23 22:21

    A new 1975 359 tri axle with a stack of new Macks in the back ground. Truck Shop

  1340. #1340petepilot2018-10-23 23:16

    odds are the pete`s still around

  1341. #1341petepilot2018-10-23 23:45

    a friend of mine bought one of those f models in 76 a700 series with all the bells and whistles you could order from mack at the time . picked it up in la and started east got to west memphis ark and got hit head on by a boat. yeah a boat . was on a trailer going west got loose and slid across the median about 60 mph and hit him dead center it tore that new mack all to hell an damn near killed him. talk about a rough first trip with a new truck

  1342. #1342petepilot2018-10-24 00:03

    like like that sheepskin muffler the drummer`s got in in his bass

  1343. #1343crane operator2018-10-24 19:49

    So Junkyard- are you in on the bidding on this detach? Its right in your neighborhood. The listing says it just needs a new floor, but looks to me like it might need a little more work than that. Like the neck and the axles might be worth saving. It's up to $9200 right now, I wouldn't give $920, but there's evidently two guys out there who think they can save it. Would there be any way to straighten those main rails, and get them to stay? Not that I want a mechanical detach, but why are two guys bidding on this thing? https://www.purplewave.com/auction/181025/item/DE6416

  1344. #1344RZucker2018-10-24 20:03

    I'm betting that wood is hiding some serious issues. With the top of the beams buckled like that it's probably dragging it's belly, take a truck with an air bag 5th wheel to pick it up.

  1345. #1345Junkyard2018-10-24 20:10

    You can fix the rolled top flange....by cutting it off and replacing it! I’ve fixed a small spot in one but that’s beyond fixing. It’s less work to replace. That’s a $3,500 yard trailer now.

  1346. #1346Theweldor2018-10-24 20:25

    I have fixed some pretty rough stuff over the years. But that trailer needs some serious work and several crossmembers to make it right. It is not a $920.00 trailer. In my opinion.

  1347. #1347DMiller2018-10-29 19:27

    I concur, some serious deeper hidden features could make that a scrap yard victim.

  1348. #1348crane operator2018-10-29 19:43

    It brought $12,600, I bet the sellers are laughing themselves silly, and that buyer is in for some serious work.

  1349. #1349Truck Shop2018-10-29 22:47

    Well someone bought that pile of Bondo called the Batmobile for 2 million so what's $12,600 for a bent up bridge. Truck Shop

  1350. #1350RZucker2018-10-29 23:30

    For that kind of money I expect polished aluminum wheels and Chromy lug nut covers.

  1351. #1351crane operator2018-10-29 23:41

    If I had a trailer like that in my back yard, and you would give me $12,600 for it, I'd find the wheels and covers.

  1352. #1352RZucker2018-10-29 23:50

    Can I get new tires too?

  1353. #1353old-iron-habit2018-10-30 00:02

    One is the owner jacking the price up and the other is probably his buddy helping him out by jacking the price up.

  1354. #1354DMiller2018-10-30 08:19

    I can really see that point, but then someone has to pay the auction fee. Can get a hell of a lot better than this for just a little more coin and use it right away. $12600 is NUTS!

  1355. #1355crane operator2018-10-30 17:36

    A man's got to know his limitations.......

  1356. #1356RZucker2018-10-30 21:24

    Deal's off.

  1357. #1357DMiller2018-10-31 07:03

    LOL!!

  1358. #1358RZucker2018-10-31 22:37

    Yeah, what a hardass.

  1359. #1359RZucker2018-11-21 17:29

    This is a pic of my old '74 Pete grainhauler. Snapped it off the screen, it was easier than trying to post direct. It had a hopped up 335 Cummins, with a set of ultra lite Merritt hoppers it would haul 34 ton net.

  1360. #1360RZucker2018-11-21 17:34

    This was the next one, 86 Freightliner. 350 Cat with a 9 speed. 33 ton net. Ex Boeing truck in super condition when I bought it for $2800.

  1361. #1361colson042018-11-21 18:00

    Why the single axle rigs? No need for the tandem? I'm curious, we rarely see single axle trucks rolling around Michigan except for UPS/FEDEX/DHL or beverage distributors.

  1362. #1362RZucker2018-11-21 18:20

    With the Merritt hopper doubles single drive put my trucks at 96K gross, why waste another 4 drive tires and the weight of another drive axle? These trucks ran mostly downhill loaded and didn't run in a lot of bad weather. The Peterbilt was 12,160 lbs, with a full tank of fuel, the Freightliner had 2 tanks and a heavier frame that made it almost a ton heavier.

  1363. #1363RZucker2018-11-21 19:18

    As you guys can see, I liked to put straight pipes on my trucks. The Pete was LOUD, the Cat in the freightliner was mild. It's all about cam timing I guess.

  1364. #1364Mother Deuce2018-11-22 09:33

    Yeah but that was Barris Bondo a special and rarified variety.

  1365. #1365Mother Deuce2018-11-22 09:37

    I drove a 74 narrow pulling a fuel tank about a thousand years ago... had a 903 and a 10 definitely played it's own tune. I remember it fondly, even forgive it's 903. It was a comfortable old horse.

  1366. #1366RZucker2018-11-22 13:00

    The best part about a 903... It made space for an 8V-92 when it came out of a truck.

  1367. #1367Truck Shop2018-11-22 14:17

    The nick name for a stuttering 903--Mel Tillis motor. Nothing against Mel Truck Shop

  1368. #1368RZucker2018-11-22 14:36

    Even with a constant speed governor, the Versatile tractors with a 903 sounded like an overjetted gasser.

  1369. #1369Mother Deuce2018-11-22 15:40

    The 903 was kind of handy when used for it's secondary function... the eradication of all flying insects with in a city block! Probably provided stimulation for 20 years of surplus gas mask sales

  1370. #1370Birken Vogt2018-11-22 16:12

    Along with the other thread about mechanical engineering. What makes a company's engineering and sales people design and build and test the prototypes of such a turkey. Presumably the test units stuttered and smoked as much as the production units. And then say to each other, yep, that is a good motor, let's release it for general consumption.

  1371. #1371petepilot2018-11-22 16:23

    let me say this about a 903 co had one in a u model mack every body that drove that old truck tried to kill it` ran it hot` low on oil oversped `it and any thing else you can add, engine was still running when the mack went to the junkyard

  1372. #1372RZucker2018-11-22 16:28

    Actually, most of those smoking Cummins V-8's needed a good overhead set to reseat the injector plungers properly. Seems nobody did much of that because they were such a pita to work on. I got called on a Cummins 765 V-8 in an M-123 military truck that obscured the entire 120 acre field it was working in. Nine hours later it ran just fine. Trying to find the valve set marks took most of the time. IIRC it was on a tiny pulley in front of the rear mount air compressor.

  1373. #1373RZucker2018-11-22 16:32

    Sounds like many 8V-71's I've been around. Had one that would make the oil pressure buzzer go off when you shifted, buzzed all the time at idle and just kept going.

  1374. #1374Truck Shop2018-11-22 19:38

    A nice concrete block on the throttle pedal will stop that buzzer also. Truck Shop

  1375. #1375Junkyard2018-11-22 20:03

    I don’t give them a chance to drop that much. Hammer that SOB! Haha.

  1376. #1376RZucker2018-11-22 21:14

    This one got mercilessly thrashed most of the time, In the lower gears I learned to "bounce shift" it, meaning mash the pedal to the floor and when it hits the governor limit and bounces back... stab the next gear without letting up. Perfect float shift every time. Poor old truck. It was one of those ugly short hood mid 60's Internationals with a dump box hauling rocks on a farm. Never could kill it.

  1377. #1377Junkyard2018-11-22 21:31

    My first halfa$$ driving job was when I was a mechanic at a small crane company. They had a bunch of old Dowell Schluberger trucks. The old orange and black paint scheme. Mine trusty steed was a mid 80’s corn binder, 6v92T, 13 and a 3 speed brownie. As a young man having something you HAD to hammer on was awesome! Lol. It hooked me on the old 2 strokes.

  1378. #1378Truck Shop2018-11-22 21:57

    I have never been a fan of green but on this old RD 405 it looks correct. Truck shop

  1379. #1379JPV2018-11-23 00:17

    That truck is part of a really neat collection owned by Lemmons Trucking out of Longview Wa. They have been hosting a truck show in June, I will try to put it on here when I hear about it next year. If you think V-12 Detroits, 3408 and 1693 Cats are cool it ain't a bad place to go.

  1380. #1380petepilot2018-11-23 01:54

    that has to be one of the nicest ones still in existence

  1381. #1381Truck Shop2018-11-23 16:11

    One of the rougher ones still in existence, I have been keeping an eye on this one for years. Truck Shop

  1382. #1382colson042018-11-23 17:31

    When Schlumberger bought Dowell, they acquired all of Dowell's assets, including their Driver's Training facility in Kelleyville, Oklahoma. While the Dowell orange is long gone in favor of SLB's Blue and White, they still utilize that facility today and require all personnel that will be driving for Schlumberger to attend Light, Medium, or Heavy Vehicle training depending on your job function within the company. When I was there in 2010 for LVT, they still had an old orange Dowell-SLB truck with a roll cage and 5 point harnesses installed for their skid pan training. A driver would enter the skid pan at an instructed speed and the instructor can independently lock the front or rear wheels forcing the vehicle into a spin out with the drivers objective being to control the vehicle. Every driver makes three passes, with the first pass being an intentional spin out and let it go. Pretty wild watching a bobtail tractor, spin out. They also run regular convoys for the HVT guys for training around Tulsa and to the west for 100 miles or so. Before they ever drive to a job, they've logged a couple thousand miles with an instructor around Oklahoma.

  1383. #1383Junkyard2018-11-23 17:39

    A few months ago I was on 66 going by that very place. A new trainee in a pickup and gooseneck pulled right out in front of me....I was hauling a Watson 3100. I was NOT happy! Once we got to the four lane going into Sapulpa he got an earful and the California howdy! Haha.

  1384. #1384colson042018-11-23 17:48

    Oh snap. Our instructor kicked a guy out of our group on the first day. Before he made it out of the parking lot. It was evident he had no experience drivng anything.

  1385. #1385Junkyard2018-11-23 17:51

    We did a ton of drilling this year on the Turnpike from Sapulpa to almost Bristow. We used Creek County Speedway pits as a lay down yard. Those white trucks go by constantly everyday.

  1386. #1386colson042018-11-23 17:55

    Slb pays big money to run that facility and are very strict about adhering to their driving standards. Even during a down turn, they don't slack on it. LVT guys get 3 days, MVT is 6 days, HVT is 13 days. That facility is operating every day of the week, except major holidays.

  1387. #1387Truck Shop2018-11-23 18:29

    I just ran across this photo of Johnson Co. Pete. {AKA the Chrome Brothers} I use to work on this wagon some years ago, 362 with a 3408. Truck Shop

  1388. #1388RZucker2018-11-23 18:52

    I remember those trucks well.

  1389. #1389RZucker2018-11-24 13:24

    That's a big truck for small drivers, I never drove a Westcoaster but got to drive an F-210? with big flat steel fenders, trying to squeeze between the steering wheel and the seat was tough and I'm not really a fat guy.

  1390. #1390Truck Shop2018-11-24 15:54

    A good reason to stay thin. Truck Shop

  1391. #1391Junkyard2018-11-24 16:18

    I’m your everyday average size man. I drove my old 359 damn near a million miles. There were days I wanted a bigger cab! Especially leg room. Of course driving around with the seat low enough all you saw was the bill of my cap when you met me on a two lane road can’t have anything to do with it! 85 359 shorthood 400 Cat jwac, started with a 15 over. When it crapped I put an 18 in it. Jakes and a brakesaver. I swore I’d never sell it until the day I was sick of it! Haha

  1392. #1392Birken Vogt2018-11-24 17:21

    I'm 6' tall, I always set my air seat with just enough air it is at the top of its travel so that it will go downwards if I hit a bump but otherwise stays full up and fixed. I like to see what is going on around me.

  1393. #1393Truck Shop2018-11-24 17:27

    I saw what was going on around me one time along time ago-I didn't like what I saw so I stopped looking around Truck Shop

  1394. #1394DMiller2018-11-24 18:40

    Nice circus wagon JY, was that a Cornqueen TS?

  1395. #1395Junkyard2018-11-24 18:57

    Cornhusker Ultra Lite. Not a bad trailer.

  1396. #1396Truck Shop2018-11-24 19:33

    Yeah Dave it's a 58 model 405, I posted it on here a ways back. Here's the front view, still has the stack mirror for the monster 220 on the shroud. Truck Shop

  1397. #1397crane operator2018-11-24 21:11

    I've got about 6" on you birken, I have to ride around with the seat all the way down, otherwise I can't see out the windshield. Forget having one of those big drop visors, I wouldn't be able to see the road, let alone a traffic signal. The crane cabs are usually too short on the steering wheel, if I put any air in the seat, there's no room for my legs. No chance of them only seeing my ball cap, even with the seat on the floor.

  1398. #1398RZucker2018-11-24 21:16

    Good looking rig. You would fit right in with the hay haulers around here.

  1399. #1399Junkyard2018-11-24 21:33

    Thanks. I miss it sometimes. Mainly the sound of the ol 400 Cat. They have a sound all their own.

  1400. #1400Junkyard2018-11-26 20:01

    Cleaning out my old shop office to make it a bathroom I found this. Kinda choked me up lol

  1401. #1401Truck Shop2018-11-26 20:03

    Switched my avatar to Old Iron Habit/Roger's KW. Truck Shop

  1402. #1402Truck Shop2018-11-26 20:05

    You have a sliver sticking in your thumb Junkyard. Truck Shop

  1403. #1403Junkyard2018-11-26 20:07

    It just looks that way lol

  1404. #1404Truck Shop2018-11-26 20:18

    I think you should have Doctors Miller and Zucker examine that, I heard they do wonderful surgery with a dirty pocket Knife. Nurse Birken Vogt will wrap it in a dirty sock for extra protection. Truck Shop

  1405. #1405Junkyard2018-11-26 20:20

    Send the medi-vac! A couple weeks R&R in the PNW should do the trick!

  1406. #1406RZucker2018-11-26 20:59

    It's just a dull knife, I sterilize with brake cleaner. Miller does the cutting.

  1407. #1407Junkyard2018-11-26 21:49

    I don’t think I’ve ever been cut by anything but a dull knife from my own pocket!

  1408. #1408DMiller2018-11-27 06:26

    Blind in one eye can't see with the other and I CAN hack with the Best!!

  1409. #1409RZucker2018-11-27 21:04

    The only knives I can keep in my pocket are cheap ones that don't hold an edge. I never lose them, A good knife is gone in no time.

  1410. #1410Junkyard2018-11-27 21:11

    Me too. I buy the $10 ones 6-8 at a time. I use them as pry bars, screwdrivers and scrapers more than a knife. They’ll hardly cut tape when I ditch one and replace it.

  1411. #1411crane operator2018-11-27 22:50

    So this is why every 3406 used, that I looked at for the pete doesn't have a tag? You guys are all pulling them off and putting them on the wall like your bowling trophy from 1984?

  1412. #1412Junkyard2018-11-28 05:38

    No bowling trophies here. Just racing stuff

  1413. #1413DMiller2018-11-28 07:31

    I have a good knife, not stylish not pretty just a basic jack knife that NOBODY wants as just so. Keeps a decent edge, no special allow stainless just high carbon chromed blade. Carried it for almost thirty five years after my Grandmother gave it to me, was my grandfathers. So I got a little attached to it and did not want to lose it so bought another one just like it five years ago, dress the edge every so often and does what I need. Is considered a 'Electrician's pocket knife' has a straight blade screwdriver blade that locks open the cutting blade does not lock. Klein 1550-2

  1414. #1414Birken Vogt2018-11-28 09:47

    I used to have one of those also, lost it. It was also my grandfather's [I think] but nothing really special, found it in an old drawer of junk. Wood sides. I read it called a "mechanic's pocket knife", saw a picture of one being used to cut an old 2 piece rope crankshaft main seal. I know the broken off blade was for a slotted screw but I never knew what the dimple in the same blade was for.

  1415. #1415DMiller2018-11-28 13:04

    Wire/electrical cable stripping.

  1416. #1416Birken Vogt2018-11-28 21:12

    How does that work? I still don't understand.

  1417. #1417crane operator2018-11-28 21:30

    Pinch the wire between the blade and the dimple on the screwdriver blade, spin it around the wire to cut the insulation. Just like the rest of us do with a regular pocketknife and our thumb only safer.

  1418. #1418RZucker2018-11-29 00:03

    Had one like that years back, but it was Barlow? branded.

  1419. #1419Wytruckwrench2018-11-29 21:42

    You can’t beat those 7FB Cats. I still have three of them.

  1420. #1420petepilot2018-11-29 22:02

    in use or just sitting?

  1421. #1421DMiller2018-11-30 13:35

    Can see them becoming the next 1693.

  1422. #1422Wytruckwrench2018-11-30 17:10

    Still in use 13 speeds and 3.90 rears. They are so trouble free and simple for me. Will make enough power to keep up with a C15 and use less fuel.

  1423. #1423RZucker2018-11-30 18:40

    And they don't try to sneak in open shop doors like C-15's do.

  1424. #1424JPV2018-11-30 19:26

    We call the C-15s the moths, every time you turn the lights on in the shop they want to come in! The old 7FB just got an overhaul but the last one was 20 years and 900,000 miles ago, other than that haven't touched it.

  1425. #1425Truck Shop2018-11-30 19:39

    Left Wednesday night at 11:00 pm for Miles City Mt with one in tow. Arrived at Hathway exit 117 I-94 at 3:35 pm dropped the one and re-hooked by 4:40 yesterday. That included dragging the one out from trailer. Arrived back at the shop at 7:05 am today, removed back section found the synchronizer hub broke the pins. Total mileage 1670, I team drove it with the other shop mechanic. Only time she shut off was fueling in Billings. Truck Shop

  1426. #1426crane operator2018-11-30 19:54

    It was probably cold enough in billings you didn't really want to even shut it off? So do you front tow or rear tow, or just depends what's broke. It's probably just a choice between trying to keep the fairing from blowing off by towing from the rear, or pulling axles to front tow? I'm assuming you guys run a lot of the newer auto/ computer shift transmissions- are they a big pain when trying to pull them around a little when broke down? I've heard of guys supposedly destroying transmissions by pulling one a block in neutral,etc. and just wondered what they say on the really new transmissions. I was looking at a terex crane the other day, 60 ton, came with a detroit 60 series, and I think it was a "cemat" auto transmission. Tag in the cab for the shifter said something like - "Absolutely no towing or pulling of crane" . What kind of idiot puts a transmission like that in a piece of construction equipment? What are they supposed to do when its muddy and they have to drag it around a jobsite? What if its steep and you have to pull it up a hill with a dozer or excavator? Glad that tow rig is working well, is the boss happy with the savings in tow bills, or not sure if he wants to lose two mechanics for two days to bring home a dead one?

  1427. #1427Junkyard2018-11-30 19:58

    Super trucker! Haha. When people use that term it sure pisses me the F off!

  1428. #1428colson042018-11-30 20:41

    Super trucker ? I had never heard that one before

  1429. #1429Truck Shop2018-11-30 21:15

    Crane operator-it mostly depends on the situation of towing from front or back. I tow mostly from the back but several I've towed from the front also. The later fairings don't have the issue the older styles had with wind and in windy conditions I just run tie straps around the fairings for support. The sun was going down so this one got towed from the back, I can run a steady 67/68 towing from the back and they tow better that way also. And yes we have a bunch of DT12 Freightliner auto shifts, and yes pulling the drive line is a must do, other wise you might buy a $18,000.00 transmission. But the W900 is equipped with everything I need so getting the job done goes fairly easy. Billing was 38* Drumond was 13* and freezing fog, thick fog. 4th of July and Lookout passes were 27* and light freezing fog. And I was only out of the shop one full day and there's three in the shop. And I only pull axles on a bad rear drive issue other wise I remove driveline and put air to that trucks system to keep brakes released and bags full. Super Trucker? I've been called much worse than that. Truck Shop

  1430. #1430crane operator2018-11-30 21:51

    We had a driver at a place I used to work, and I can't tell you his name right now, because that's all we ever called him.

  1431. #1431Junkyard2018-11-30 22:00

    It’s NOT a term of endearment for me lol. Don’t ask me why. Just one of those things haha

  1432. #1432Truck Shop2018-12-01 07:37

    When I have a job to do I have a tendency to get after it. I actually don't like driving that much anymore, don't like truck stops or mini marts or the rest of the drivers on the road. I have seen most of these places years ago and not much has changed except there's more people. Truck Shop

  1433. #1433DMiller2018-12-01 07:59

    Can associate TS, the people have changed too, not the same brotherhood we all knew so long ago when there were not so many out there.

  1434. #1434Truck Shop2018-12-01 17:27

    Truck drivers these days run up on you too damn close and most run too damn fast for conditions. Part of it is the trucks being built like a car or pickup, it gives them a false sense of security. Most of them don't know when they've overloaded their *** and fool themselves about how good a driver they are especially in bad weather. I saw several this trip that were just lucky and that's the only way I can put it. They can't distinguish a wet road and one that's wet and also icy. Freezing fog will put you on your lid. Truck Shop

  1435. #1435Mother Deuce2018-12-01 17:42

    Used to top Snoqualmie and drop into Easton in the fog watching the mirror heads and antennas to start building ice. Time you got to Eburg your eyes were like pie plates and the mirror brackets were an inch thick. Trying to keep the windshield clear with wipers that even with repeatedly stopping to beat the ice off of them, would quickly become nearly useless. I got off at Elk Heights one night eastbound to walk around the truck and fell right on my postierior. It was completely froze over on the top. Looking back though... I wouldn't have missed it for nothing!

  1436. #1436Truck Shop2018-12-01 18:57

    Your right there MD, from Easton to George and Eburg to Yakima the freezing fog is probably the most dangerous. Drivers in general get to concentrating on being able to see where there going and forget about what the road condition is. Cleaned up a nasty totally avoidable fatality incident north bound I-82 MP 5 in 1989 because people got in a hurry and past the sand truck. Rule of thumb for the locals was when cresting the top MP 8 I-82 headed north if you can't see the valley because of fog and you know it's freezing you best be on your A game. Truck Shop

  1437. #1437DMiller2018-12-02 09:41

    1977 came out of Bakersfield into AZ with a load of mixed produce. A Mack F700 cabover with a SUPER Short WB, tandem sleeper where the back wall of the cab was only a foot or so off the reefer with the fifth wheel ALL the way back. Late November, I-40 climbed to Flagstaff no snow, a little mist, had been awake WAY TOO LONG. Determined to get in QQ for a rest(pushing WAY TOO HARD. Got whiteline trance going had no idea how long and then was awakened from it as thought some Idiot was passing me with NO Headlights. Shook off the haze and realized was not a passing car, was MY TRAILER in the other lane. Was Just west of Flag coming into town. Got lucky, did not get stupid, settled down and added just a bit of throttle, saw the lines on the wheels(had been stripe painted by someone prior) start to roll again as slipped back into MY lane from following headlights, got all back straight and moved to the shoulder. As I got out to check what was up no sooner than feet hit the pavement was on my ass. BLACK Ice. Still wetted and soft but still ice. Managed to get rolling got to the Little America TS and shut it down for that night. ALL MANNER of NEW buttonholes in the seat cushion!! Not sure if the steering wheel imprints of my grip ever wore off either!

  1438. #1438Truck Shop2018-12-02 13:35

    About 50% of our drivers are the same low quality every other trucking company has. The company I work for use to require minim of three years driving and at least two winters of chain up experience. Because of the driver shortage requirements have fallen to six months and no winter experience. Basically if you have a pulse and are breathing were hiring. We have one tractor that just got auto chains installed and that tells me what's coming next {everyone of them will have them}. Rumor has it Federal DOT is looking at dropping the age to eighteen. I'm waiting for the question from office {HR-Safety mgr -plus the owner} if I can install a wheel chair lift on one of the tractors . Truck Shop

  1439. #1439Junkyard2018-12-02 13:50

    That’s one of the reasons I got out of it. Way too much bs for the investment. It was like a daycare more than a business. I had a few great guys and the rest were typical turnover. I was in Salt Lake one time listening to a trainer and a trainee. It didn’t take long to figure out the trainer hadn’t been doing it much longer! They had heard weather was bad and they had to be prepared to chain up. They proceeded to come up with a plausible mechanical issue to delay departure until roads got better. ***? It’s partially the industry’s fault. Heck it might be all their fault. It’s darn sure not like it used to be.

  1440. #1440RZucker2018-12-02 14:02

    I remember a hay hauler out of Royal City that ran auto chains on single drive Cornbinder COEs in the 80's, he loved them. Had to check them well after every trip but he liked hitting a switch and just keep going. I do know a lady school bus driver that runs up into the Horseheaven hills (the big hill out of Prosser) that absolutely doesn't trust them, she will hang a set of outside chains if it's the least bit icy.

  1441. #1441Junkyard2018-12-02 14:03

    Most of the fire and ambulance rigs have them here. They MIGHT get used on ice MAYBE once a year IF that. I saw a set hanging funky one time grab a drain grate in a parking lot. It was quite funny.

  1442. #1442RZucker2018-12-02 14:35

    I always wondered about that sort of thing happening. I know I cant drag a chain across a screener deck without it catching at least once.

  1443. #1443bam19682018-12-02 15:21

    I JUST COULDN'T PASS THIS ONE UP!!! 1970 IHC fleetstar 2000 6-71 and a 13 speed. A neighbor bought it online a few years ago. A few weeks ago (him knowing I have a bit of a 'soft spot' for this old stuff) he happened to mention he would like to sell it because he didn't use it as much as he thought he would. Then he said what he wanted for it. I said "sold" and that's was that. LOL. I do have to say that I am actually pretty impressed with how well it runs. It will run circles around our old Ford dump truck with a non turbo'd 3208. This one is kinda fun to drive.

  1444. #1444Junkyard2018-12-02 15:28

    Hell yeah. I want first crack if you ever part with it!

  1445. #1445bam19682018-12-02 15:31

    Ok. You will be first.

  1446. #1446Labparamour2018-12-02 15:32

    Looks in great shape. Neighbor had a GMC with same running gear. I also spent early career with some old KW fire engines that had their gassers replaced w/ 6-71’s. I love their sound...the rolling idle and when at speed. I do remember running the dump- as soon as rpm’s started to drop, they fell off quickly.

  1447. #1447Junkyard2018-12-02 15:39

    We had one on the farm, tandem grain truck with a gas motor and Alison auto. Nice old truck.

  1448. #1448bam19682018-12-02 17:03

    For whatever reason this truck seems to recover really well if you let the RPM's fall back a little more than some other detroits I have run. One of my customers has an old GMC dump truck with a 6v92 in it and it basically falls on it's face if dropped much below 2000 rpm's.

  1449. #1449Labparamour2018-12-02 17:22

    [QUOTE="Truck Shop, post: 779240,Because of the driver shortage requirements have fallen to six months and no winter experience. Truck Shop[/QUOTE] Winter in the northwest... I never get comfortable with it. Did some roadside training yesterday, though: Northbound on Blewett, DOT still said “traction advised,” same as Snoqualmie (Snoqualmie was bare/wet). Light snow on road but had been getting down to pavement. Had power divider locked in- spun once so figured “ain’t gonna get better going up.” Had just hit the last stretch where the climbing lane begins so, stopped and started hanging chains. A freightliner conventional w refer pulled past a ways and stopped. Driver comes back and asks if I can show him how chains go on. He watched me then I helped him pull his new chains from the sack. Watched him hang one then left him to his own. That’s when the plows came by... Nice kid: late 20’s/early 30’s. Guessing Eastern European. He was very appreciative. Met on the north side pulling chains...needed a little more coaching. Got a handshake as we parted.

  1450. #1450Truck Shop2018-12-02 18:25

    I have never understood why chaining up is so hard for people to understand. Most of it is just laziness I figure. People can operate a cell phone and text with their eyes shut, win ten thousand games of Tank Warrior while texting but they can't seem to coordinate their right foot and right arm to shift a manual transmission or figure out how to chain a set of axles. As a society we are suppose to be advancing. But are we really? Truck Shop

  1451. #1451Birken Vogt2018-12-02 21:24

    I have chained up more times than I care to count and we only just did the outside of the duals. I hated every minute of it. Just have to think like Calvin's dad, builds character. You can be assured that if I am going to chain up any more I will be well paid for it. If not then I will stay home until conditions improve. I don't have 4wd and I always have office work that needs to get done.

  1452. #1452Truck Shop2018-12-03 21:57

    I don't know which is worse chaining up or laying on a creeper with snow and ice scags dripping freezing water on top of your overalls while your backside of your overall legs drag through the puddles soaking up the shop floor. The crotch area is cooled down nicely though-look like you wet yourself. Then go clean up to go home and spend 10 minutes cleaning the sand out of your ears. All that grease and cold water on your hands makes a nice patty cake too. Then along comes summer and 100* heat and there is a river running down the crack of your ***, such is life in this business. Truck Shop

  1453. #1453RZucker2018-12-03 22:33

    As I get older... I'm really starting to hate trucks.

  1454. #1454Truck Shop2018-12-04 07:21

    After this last week I'm really starting to hate trucks and people. See you and raise you fifty. Truck Shop

  1455. #1455Birken Vogt2018-12-04 11:09

    As a kid, I started out working on cars. Everything was small and junky. Switching to trucks, an experienced mechanic told me "it's easier than cars, but everything you touch is heavy." I enjoyed that for a while but I echo Mike's comments above. Switching to generators, you get into the occasional filthy shed where somebody had an exhaust leak on a diesel for months, but no more brake valve on the cross member covered in flung u-joint grease dropping sand in your eyes. I use my creeper every couple months to change the oil on my truck.

  1456. #1456Labparamour2018-12-04 13:37

    Rolling out early mornings, coffee in hand, no traffic- I like it. On some days, though, by the end off the day, I’m ready to park it on the shoulder, call the boss and Uber home! Then the next day starts with a fresh cup of coffee....

  1457. #1457Truck Shop2018-12-04 17:15

    Yeah I have been stopping at the 7 Eleven six blocks from my house to get my large coffee with cream and hazelnut every day at 5:30 am for the last 22 years 7 days a week. Morning Mike-Good morning in my growly voice. Don't you ever have a day off they will ask from time to time. No I have to have money to keep buying this expensive coffee. Truck Shop

  1458. #1458petepilot2018-12-04 19:21

    lets all gang up and just quit

  1459. #1459DMiller2018-12-04 19:21

    Life in the 'Fast Lane' or 'Livin the Dream' boys, we have all enjoyed these passionate moments. Soaked to the skin, frozen cold as all get out, cooked like a fresh baked loaf of bread on the other end and not much comparably soft days between while unable to shake off that grog from all too many hours at the grind most days. I wake up my hands ache, back aches, knees tell me they are STILL mad then I get up pop as much loose as can and make my own pot of coffee, four mugs from a 10 cup pot and I am Still tired and still ache. Pain meds don't do much if anything, I want to punch the TV on those ALEVE commercials, time is NOT our friend and never has been. I still wrench, I still drive as I can, I still set fence and farm some. Blind in one eye, can barely see the other, still weld still machine parts, still hunt as I can and still enjoy my time as I am retired just NOT dead yet.

  1460. #1460Junkyard2018-12-04 19:29

    I’m in. Just the excuse I need! Miller knows exactly how I feel! Haha

  1461. #1461Truck Shop2018-12-04 19:40

    That's not a bad idea PP, the wife and I have already made a down payment on a retirement spot called Prune Villa. Truck Shop

  1462. #1462Mother Deuce2018-12-05 17:39

    LOL We all ready have our Prune Villa. I am suffering from 40 years of fun in our business (wish I would have opted out of the hard rock rippin' with the 9's and 10's Oddly enough I feel much like Mr. Miller at 0300 when reveille sounds) and while the spirit is still willing the rest of me is seemingly becoming less than thrilled I may have to sell our Prune Villa and invest in Raisin Villa AZ. Besides that if we all quit at once wouldn't the whole party just grind to halt?

  1463. #1463JPV2018-12-05 18:02

    This forum would get awful boring, I guess I will keep at it. Misery loves company, must be why I am here so often!

  1464. #1464Raildudes dad2018-12-05 20:18

    Woah, time out here. What's this talk about quitting ???? Some of us are on and some (like me ) are getting ready to collect Social Security. You young guys have to keep working (all typed in fun )

  1465. #1465DMiller2018-12-05 20:27

    I am already in the Pasture so to speak, keep monkeying around with machines and trying to aid a few on the older crap I can somewhat remember. Old sneaky tricks, some easier tests to trim down possible causes but I am retired and enjoying a little easier life than once led. Can pick my battles, my time lines and my poisons as to someone else's machines to do a little work on. Can really and truly feel for ya MD, I am usually up and moving at 3-3:30, dogs will wake me at 4-4:30 if I manage a good night. The four mugs of coffee I take empty my 10 cup pot, are days I work on a second pot before water thru the day until late afternoon then maybe a beer or two. I will take a heavy shot of a Good whiskey one or two days in a week maybe three to four days a month. Bad days and in pain the bottle sits on the counter until I get a little analgesic sedative action working. New Neighbor is thinking of asking me(from his brother) as to tearing out some concrete pads, doing some grade re-slope and maybe digging a foundation hole for a new home. Has as yet not done so. May be trying to get into electrical work with a local contractor, I can do barn and shed jobs the others may not want to get involved with. A few lights, some outlets, maybe changing from a old fuse or obsolete breaker panel to a better newer unit, running a little romex. I am pretty well done with heavy work beyond my own.

  1466. #1466Truck Shop2018-12-05 20:32

    At the precise time a guy turns 66 he starts calling pancakes-hotcakes, starts collecting reflectors to put on the mud flaps on his pickup and starts worrying about if he has enough firewood to make it through winter and all he has is gas or electric heat no Blase King stove. Truck Shop

  1467. #1467RZucker2018-12-05 20:49

    I don't have mudflaps on the pickup... yet.

  1468. #1468DMiller2018-12-06 06:39

    Me either!! yet. No wood stoves but four chainsaws AND a three point splitter!

  1469. #1469Truck Shop2018-12-06 07:27

    Well if the two of you don't have your mud flaps yet you are running way behind on your old guy stuff, better get cracking time fly's at this age. Truck Shop

  1470. #1470DMiller2018-12-06 07:37

    Old truck too rusty, not sure could find enough steel to actually place hangers!! Maybe when I get a replacement can happen on it.

  1471. #1471Junkyard2018-12-06 08:02

    Yosemite Sam “Back Off”.......

  1472. #1472Vetech632018-12-06 08:04

    quitters are spitters………………...oh wait, how does that go again?

  1473. #1473kshansen2018-12-06 08:53

    Well I don't even have a truck but do have two wood stoves and a tow behind splitter. Guess I could put a mudflap on one of the Harleys! OH! I do have enough wood cut, split and stacked for at least two years!

  1474. #1474Mother Deuce2018-12-06 17:43

    Truck Shop if you see any of those short "Peerless" flaps with the roadrunner for a pickup let me know! Cause they are the ones I want to put my reflectors on! (Last time I looked Six Robblees didn't have them anymore... but that was probably in 99 LOL!)

  1475. #1475Truck Shop2018-12-06 19:00

    If I see some Peerless flaps like that I will let you know MD. There's a bunch of things Six Robbers don't have anymore. Truck Shop

  1476. #1476gtermini2018-12-21 11:56

    No affiliation. Just an old rig that's probably seen some **** in it's day. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hvo/d/for-sale/6777576518.html

  1477. #1477DMiller2018-12-21 13:34

    Have not seen a 600 Holmes in a LONG time!!, well kept old Freight Shaker

  1478. #1478RZucker2018-12-21 19:51

    I would say those are the longest booms I have ever seen on a 600. Look to be extendable too. I don't think I've seen an actual "White Freightliner" in a few years other than a neighbor that has a well restored '76? conventional that still works most of the week.

  1479. #1479crane operator2018-12-21 20:38

    Its old freightshaker cabover day! I snapped a picture of this one today, it isn't quite as nice as the wrecker. I'd think that short wheelbase wrecker would get light on the front in a big hurry in a hard pull, especially with the long booms.

  1480. #1480td25c2018-12-21 23:41

    [QUOTE="crane operator, post: 782979, member: 9397" I'd think that short wheelbase wrecker would get light on the front in a big hurry in a hard pull, especially with the long booms. [/QUOTE] Split the booms & pull off the mast . HeavyEquipmentForums

  1481. #1481RZucker2018-12-22 00:01

    Split the booms & pull off the mast . HeavyEquipmentForums [/QUOTE] I hear you on "pull off the mast", but how much pull did a 600 have single line? They were mostly for handling mid size truck tows. I believe the booms on the old Freightliner above were 750 extendable booms. That's a lot of extra leverage against the mast.

  1482. #1482Junkyard2018-12-22 00:58

    Super deluxe body too. Big time! Having towed with a 750 and an old Weld Built the way they’re made it’s not as bad as you think. I missed out years ago on a late 60’s international with a 750 that was a one owner. Been kicking myself in the arse over that..... Love the old Holmes.

  1483. #1483DMiller2018-12-22 04:46

    We had shorter WB sleeper cab tandems in SLC when I was there with Gelco. Stack sat in concave corner of cab and had that damned round exhaust ball socket connection that never sealed. Still have the WF radiator fill/air intake cover door off the first wreck I built as a glider in 1977

  1484. #1484DMiller2018-12-22 04:52

    600 only had IIRC 8 ton boom capacity, should put line pull close to 20 in a flat no boom winch load, would drag that SA all over the road..

  1485. #1485td25c2018-12-22 19:13

    I hear you on "pull off the mast", but how much pull did a 600 have single line? They were mostly for handling mid size truck tows. I believe the booms on the old Freightliner above were 750 extendable booms. That's a lot of extra leverage against the mast.[/QUOTE] Agree RZ . Those sure look like 750 booms on Freightliner with the 600 Holmes . All the 600 & 650 Holmes beds in my area had the " Web " style non extend booms . Not sure if they offered extendable booms as an option on that series ? Talking about pulling off the mast …. With snatch block positioning you can pull dang near any direction . Ernest Holmes was a genius ! Had to adjust the " camber " angle on a customers spray rig & weld back .

  1486. #1486Junkyard2018-12-22 19:43

    750 was 25 so 12.5 per boom IIRC. Those do look like 750’s on a smaller bed now that you mention it. A drag winch on there would be handy. An old Brockway I used to run for a friend had a drag winch. About a 1/4 mile of cable it seemed like. Came from Maine. I guess when they go off the road up there they go waaaaaay off!!

  1487. #1487Truck Shop2018-12-23 18:50

    Not really into posting but I found this one today, 1959 RDF 405 still has the 220 but with a ten speed. Cab and hood are in good condition but has the 405 fender rash.

  1488. #1488DMiller2018-12-23 19:41

    Been awhile since that one saw pavement.

  1489. #1489terex herder2018-12-26 23:26

    Agree RZ . Those sure look like 750 booms on Freightliner with the 600 Holmes . All the 600 & 650 Holmes beds in my area had the " Web " style non extend booms . Not sure if they offered extendable booms as an option on that series ? Talking about pulling off the mast …. With snatch block positioning you can pull dang near any direction . Ernest Holmes was a genius ! View attachment 189702 View attachment 189703 Had to adjust the " camber " angle on a customers spray rig & weld back . [/QUOTE] Looks like a Hagie 280/284. My sympathies to the owner.

  1490. #1490td25c2018-12-27 19:43

    Good eye terex herder !

  1491. #1491crane operator2019-01-11 00:04

    How about a rare cabover? Diamond T $5,000 seems a little high for a big project? https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/palmyra-diamond/6792092283.html

  1492. #1492DMiller2019-01-11 07:40

    That would be QUITE the project!!! For ANY amount of money to buy it!!

  1493. #1493petepilot2019-01-11 20:08

    one thing about it the cab is aluminum. thats what i started with except it was a sleeper

  1494. #1494DIYDAVE2019-01-11 21:37

    This just popped up on my youtube feed... And the ending scene, they were talkin about...

  1495. #1495Mother Deuce2019-01-12 16:31

    Found this interesting

  1496. #1496Truck Shop2019-01-13 18:43

    My latest photos, 39 PETE, 44 KW built in Yakima Wa and a 48 KW {sort of}

  1497. #1497Truck Shop2019-01-13 19:46

    Old Kenworth's

  1498. #1498Truck Shop2019-01-13 19:51

    Old Kenworth's

  1499. #1499Truck Shop2019-01-13 19:55

    Old Kenworth's

  1500. #1500Junkyard2019-01-13 19:56

    Good to see you

  1501. #1501Truck Shop2019-01-13 19:58

    Old Kenworth's

  1502. #1502Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:02

    Old Kenworth's [

  1503. #1503Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:07

    Old Kenworth's

  1504. #1504bam19682019-01-13 20:14

    Awesome pics Truckshop!!!!!!!!!!!!

  1505. #1505Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:17

    Old Autocars & T's

  1506. #1506Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:21

    Old Autocars & T's

  1507. #1507Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:27

    Old Peter Cars

  1508. #1508Truck Shop2019-01-13 20:33

    Old Peter Cars

  1509. #1509old-iron-habit2019-01-13 22:00

    I love the blue one with the buzzin dozen in it.

  1510. #1510Labparamour2019-01-13 22:20

    Very nice collection of photos of some beautiful trucks! Nicely done TC!

  1511. #1511RZucker2019-01-14 00:03

    I have seen that last Peterbilt (green and black) in person... Wow, that is one nice truck.

  1512. #1512hvy 1ton2019-01-14 00:54

    That's an interesting old kenworth.

  1513. #1513Mother Deuce2019-01-14 17:25
  1514. #1514crane operator2019-01-14 19:52

    1959 international. No engine or transmission. I know somebody already in Oklahoma, whose got a detroit that needs a home. Add says no engine or transmission, then later on in the pictures, it shows a big cam under the hood- they must just have a standard "no engine or inoperable" so no one complains if it doesn't run. https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/29953127/1959-international-rdf405

  1515. #1515crane operator2019-01-14 20:08

    Of course if you don't want the binder, they have a pretty good looking 1980 KW and a 1977 Pete on the same auction. I kind of like the looks of the KW, (except for the fat stacks) but I'm a day cab kind of guy. If I need a sleeper, I'm too far away from home. https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/29967929/1980-kenworth-w900a https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/29967855/1977-peterbilt-359 Looks like they were getting this one ready for paint.

  1516. #1516petepilot2019-01-14 20:44

    I could use that binder even have a motor for it

  1517. #1517Truck Shop2019-01-14 20:52

    The Sort of 1948 really isn't a Kenworth. Those were built using Kenworth cabs and sheet metal in the late 40's by Arrow Tank Lines {they were building there own tractors}

  1518. #1518crane operator2019-01-14 21:20

    I looked through those pics of the 1959 international a little more. Someone put a lot of work into keeping that thing on the road, and it looks like its been being used pretty recently.

  1519. #1519petepilot2019-01-14 22:20

    i`m sure going to check it out further` may put a bid on it. the 359 pete looks to have made a trip or two on the alcan

  1520. #1520Mother Deuce2019-01-15 16:42
  1521. #1521Mother Deuce2019-01-15 16:51

    Thanks Truck Shop for history on that tractor. I was tearing up the net looking for the Fioritos fleet pics from the 60s/70s. Was around Arrow a little bit after they bought Western back in the early 80s and ended up with their yard up in Richmond Beach. Had some friends who worked there. Thanks for the blade image! I would like to own that! Nice old piece and not real common.

  1522. #1522Truck Shop2019-01-15 21:16

    Don the owner of this Pete spent some serious time building it. Note the custom long hood.

  1523. #1523RZucker2019-01-15 21:33

    I think it still has some of my drool on the steering wheel. He had it on display at the local Peterbilt dealer in '09 or so and let me sit in the driver seat.

  1524. #1524Mother Deuce2019-01-19 06:54

    I was running down some parts last night and found these

  1525. #1525Mother Deuce2019-01-19 06:57

    I am going to see if I can get permission to wander around the property and take some good images

  1526. #1526RZucker2019-01-19 14:20

    Anyone notice the Michigan 290M rubber tire dozer hiding behind the B model Mack? the camouflage paint works pretty well. Be interesting to see if it has a matching scraper attached to it.

  1527. #1527Mother Deuce2019-01-19 15:26

    ...and cause were just sitting here wait to for snowmegadon to start I was fooling around in Photoshop and

  1528. #1528crane operator2019-01-19 15:33

    By the size of the tree growing there, that cat loader has been there a while too. What would that be, a 966?

  1529. #1529RZucker2019-01-19 15:34

    I bet these two guys would like to pull one of those Macks out for you

  1530. #1530Mother Deuce2019-01-19 15:35
  1531. #1531Mother Deuce2019-01-19 15:40

    I think its an 88... I will know more later. I didn't really want to get out and start wandering around their place. ( I did but thought I should try to find the owner) Hopefully this snow storm fizzles and I can get back up there!. They have lots of "cool" stuff. The shots I got I took from the road. Hopefully more later!

  1532. #1532Mother Deuce2019-01-19 15:44

    Yep... I just have to interest them enough for a 3,000 mile hike east. I have an idea that might take several adult beverages and BBQ and we should wait till spring!

  1533. #1533Truck Shop2019-01-19 18:09

    I know you already are aware of this but be real careful around areas where there are old vehicles. Most of the people that have squirreled them away are ok, but I have run into some real dandy's. I check a place out real good from afar with a set of hi-power binoculars, and some of the stuff I have seen I just call the sheriffs dept or game dept. Two years back I ran on to a kill of two bucks in August, and before that I was scoping a 54 or so Studebaker short box-and it was pretty obvious there was a meth cook house out back-I checked the power pole and power was disconnected. Especially these days you never know what can happen when innocently looking at some old equipment or car.

  1534. #1534Truck Shop2019-01-19 18:12

    RZ is the better and smarter looking one on the right. The clod hopper in the overalls is me.

  1535. #1535RZucker2019-01-19 18:17

    That was a good day, Glad I was there.

  1536. #1536Junkyard2019-01-19 18:56

    Zucker ever put shoe polish on your binocular eye pieces....?

  1537. #1537Mother Deuce2019-01-19 19:11

    I appreciate the concern and it is well taken. I generally always try to get permission before entering anyone’s property. I am a little territorial about our place and I just assume most of the rest of us are too. I had the privilege of looking out the business side of a patrol vehicle for a few years. I go out of my way to stay alert and safe. This particular instance I learned today that the gentleman who started the company left us in 2003 and his other half just passed. However the kids (our ages) are still operating and I have a name for contact. Thanks for thinking of me. I appreciate it

  1538. #1538Truck Shop2019-01-19 21:12

    I keep the binoc's out of sight, I look like hell anyway-I don't need to look like a raccoon.

  1539. #1539RZucker2019-01-19 23:24

    I would never do that... Graphite powder maybe.

  1540. #1540RZucker2019-01-20 02:37

    There are those odd nights that Mike and I hang out together.

  1541. #1541Mother Deuce2019-01-20 04:55

    You guy's know how to have a good time! LOL!

  1542. #1542DIYDAVE2019-01-20 08:17

    Yep, always a classic...

  1543. #1543Truck Shop2019-01-20 18:35

    Photos

  1544. #1544Truck Shop2019-01-20 18:38

    More photos

  1545. #1545Truck Shop2019-01-20 18:49

    And more photos

  1546. #1546Truck Shop2019-01-20 18:58

    And a few more

  1547. #1547DB22019-01-20 20:01

    Some real beauties in there. Thanks for posting

  1548. #1548Truck Shop2019-01-21 18:29

    Funny out of all those photos no one ever asks about the super odd Freightliner. I found that truck 22 years ago, and the original owner still is in possession of it. There were only fifteen built from 1960 to 1965 it was Freightliner's first experiment with a conventional. Only two were built in 1960 and this one is the second one built. Freightliner had a boat company in Portland build the hood and fiberglass parts. Ron Ely put well over a million miles on it. Pretty rough- The only other one left resides in Missouri, The owner of that one called me about this one thinking he could buy it cheap, not going to happen.

  1549. #1549petepilot2019-01-21 20:28

    i`m still guessing at the red and white one with the red badge on the hood ?

  1550. #1550Junkyard2019-01-21 20:41

    Exactly the scene in my head when I typed that. Radar sure got a kick out of it!

  1551. #1551RZucker2019-01-21 20:47

    Federal was the brand.

  1552. #1552Truck Shop2019-01-21 20:53

    Correct

  1553. #1553petepilot2019-01-21 20:54

    I would have said corbitt` and been wrong

  1554. #1554petepilot2019-01-21 20:59

    about the freightliner I have only seen one other truck with that style hood and its on a mack thats for sale in n.m. could have been built by same outfit. at least a 250 in the shaker though` wonder how many overhauls it survived

  1555. #1555Truck Shop2019-01-22 19:51

    Yes It's a 250 and three in-frames.

  1556. #1556petepilot2019-01-22 21:13

    a any hopes of it looking like the preceding bunch one day ?

  1557. #1557DIYDAVE2019-01-22 21:43

    Just saw this one, on the youtube feed, tonite...

  1558. #1558crane operator2019-01-23 20:30

    Well did you get it bought? It brought $5,500, which I didn't think was high, if thats what a guy was looking for. The bed itself is worth $2,500 if its good. You would have had to spend a bit more to get the KW or the Pete. The 1980 KW brought $15,000, the 1977 pete $9,600.

  1559. #1559petepilot2019-01-23 20:55

    this one sold today for just under 5600.00 so there must have been a motor in it ooops had`nt seen your post until after mine and no i did`nt get it

  1560. #1560Truck Shop2019-01-23 22:02

    More than likely it will just rot and sink into the ground, unfortunately.

  1561. #1561RZucker2019-01-24 20:35

    That's too bad, Freightliner should pick that up and do a factory restoration and give the owner credit for keeping it complete.

  1562. #1562Truck Shop2019-01-24 21:02

    According to Ron the owner Freightliner was talking to him about doing just that, then there was a change in CEO and that fell apart.

  1563. #1563RZucker2019-01-25 00:45

    I guess I shouldn't "like" that, but I understand how those things happen. It would be great to see that truck saved as a one of a kind. After seeing the '39 Peterbilt restoration and the Tidewater Fageol project truck you would think Freightliner would spend a few bucks to be onboard too.

  1564. #1564Hank R2019-01-27 22:33

    Sorry if this is not the right spot for this question. But a friend is in Puerto Rico and found this old wrecker. At first I thought it could of been a Oshkosh but the more I looked at it thought it could be a International Payhauler chassis (mine truck) Just wondering who built it and about how old it may be. Ex Army or ??

  1565. #1565Mother Deuce2019-01-28 01:34
  1566. #1566Mother Deuce2019-01-28 01:38

    International Payhauler 350C. Shouldn’t be to hard to track down. It is probably a one off for a large miner.

  1567. #1567Mother Deuce2019-01-28 01:45
  1568. #1568Mother Deuce2019-01-28 01:50

    It is a 1991 according to a add for it on line quite a number of pics and info in sale description. Plug “International Payhauler 350C Wrecker into Google and it pops right up.

  1569. #1569Mother Deuce2019-01-28 04:05

    Interesting ride... I suffer from can't sleep for $%*! syndrome so this wrecker was a interesting diversion. Apparently It was built for NYC Fresh Kills Landfill they have/had a fleet of 52 Payhaulers and this was their recovery ride they also have/had 7 Liebherr RH120C excavators and a enough other iron to sink that 3000 acres. interesting discussion here http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=124485 this wrecker is mentioned and shown in aerial/regular photos on page 1,2, 3 and 4

  1570. #1570Hank R2019-01-28 07:32

    Thanks for the help.

  1571. #1571Mother Deuce2019-01-28 17:03

    LOL! It gave me something to do while I am not sleeping rather than tossing and turning and examining the inside of my eyelids for cracks

  1572. #1572RZucker2019-01-28 20:05

    I get the insomnia too. It seems worst on Sunday/Monday night when I'm worrying about the mechanical carnage that will be on the doorstep on Monday morning. Today was a 3406E with oil leaks, a bad fan clutch, fan clutch wont release, yadda, yadda, yadda. "Can you have it out in an hour?" HE-HE, HA-HA… They got the Burger king speech. "I'll call you when you can pick it up". In the meantime they aren't worried about the other field truck that's waiting to come in, that was their priority Friday. They had a spare truck and trailer set, it "sat too much" so they hired another driver... And worrywart me when a driver has to go home. Time to buy another spare truck. Found them a sweet Freightshaker COE for $7500 bucks with a 9sp and a 350Hp Cat.

  1573. #1573Hank R2019-01-29 09:12

    Back in 1975 I was in Kelowna near the White Western Star factory where I spotted these ready to drive away.

  1574. #1574Mother Deuce2019-01-29 17:19

    LOL! I too get a tad bit grumbly after a insomnia night although I have never actually pulled the levers out of the seat pillars!

  1575. #1575crane operator2019-01-29 19:24

    https://loz.craigslist.org/hvo/d/camdenton-farm-truck/6805998385.html Autocar dump $3,000

  1576. #1576Truck Shop2019-01-29 20:01

    RDF's & T

  1577. #1577Truck Shop2019-01-29 20:04

    I bet those were all Salt Water Chevy powered.

  1578. #1578Truck Shop2019-01-29 20:23

    See you later I have to go use the winch in Hermiston.

  1579. #1579RZucker2019-01-29 21:50

    Same driver?

  1580. #1580Hank R2019-01-30 07:58

    1984 Cranbrook Husky pulled in and this White Mustang wrecker was sitting there. I know I should of taken better pictures but I was hungry.

  1581. #1581Birken Vogt2019-01-30 09:55

    What is a White Mustang? Never seen nor heard of it before.

  1582. #1582DMiller2019-01-30 10:03

    Were common around here in the 50s/60s, Just a Model of White that had the White Mustang Gasoline engines. Believe that cab is a 250 series. Judging by the stacks, most likely Gas power.

  1583. #1583Hank R2019-01-30 11:44

    White built engines called "Super Power" , and they were a pretty good engine. White Trucks from the mid 30s until the mid 50s had a "Super Power" emblem on the grill, and hood panels. As a kid being around those trucks I only knew them as Super Power Whites. Sometime in the early 50s White updated the Super Power engines, and began marketing the new version as "Mustang" , and went after repowering other make trucks as well as their own production. So that is where the name came from. As I know. I wish I had more pictures but was not smart enough to do so

  1584. #1584DMiller2019-01-30 11:47

    Was a REO engine they adopted. V8 Gas Super Mustang. Cab could be a Early 4000 series.

  1585. #1585Birken Vogt2019-01-30 12:04

    I heard from a group of firemen from around here (podunk holler) who were assigned to the LA riots way back when. In California when the local area runs out of fire trucks they pick up the phone and call and get them from wherever. Well they were assigned the oldest most jalopied out fire engine and it happened to be painted white and it was a White, and it had this style emblem on the side/grille. Needless to say they were not assigned to go into the thick of things, but rather hang back around the fringes.

  1586. #1586Hank R2019-01-30 12:24

    Back in the 50's White and Reo along with other manufactures put some thought into their truck to make them stand out and look great.

  1587. #1587Hank R2019-01-30 15:24

    1947 5 Ton Fargo hauling Ice, new meaning to ice fishing

  1588. #1588RZucker2019-01-30 20:05

    In high school I worked for a truck shop that had a single axle REO similar to the White above. It was powered with a 427 Chevy tall block. My thoughts were that it may have had a small Cummins V-8 or a 6V-53 originally. It had a h&ll for stout shop built wrecker that had a big Tulsa winch that had no problem lifting dropped semi trailers with a load in them. It was quite the mutt, had a 5x4 trans with some huge rear axle, the budd wheels barely fit over the hubs. That thing could talk too, had some short glasspacks with 2.5" exhaust. No real wrecker body just fenders and a rear bumper with manual jacks and a truck bar. We dragged and shoved a lot of stuff around with it.

  1589. #1589RZucker2019-01-30 20:14

    And an old "Scoopmobile" with the vertical mast too. Back in the mid 80's I put a hydraulic mast off a dead Hyster on of those old beasts for an orchard, theirs had planetaries with a removeable reaction bar pinned to the frame and a drawbar on the rear wheel frame, unpin the reaction bars and you could tow it without spinning the drivetrain. Goofy machine.

  1590. #1590Hank R2019-01-30 20:33

    Scoopmobile had a very popular line if loaders etc. back in the 50's & 60's seems almost every county or town had one. Have not seen one in years

  1591. #1591Truck Shop2019-01-30 22:19

    White truck company was clueless when they used the Super White Power name.

  1592. #1592Mother Deuce2019-01-31 08:13

    Here is one just down the from us. An LD7 some friends of ours own.

  1593. #1593JPV2019-01-31 09:10

    Our county had one about identical to that one, had a little Detroit in it. Only machine I have ever ran that was louder in the cab then out. That cab amplified that rapid fire Yamaha!

  1594. #1594Hank R2019-01-31 22:39

    1857 Diamond T Cummins 5 &4 spring of 57 truck is bran new. 47 years latter truck is still in Princeton and was sold and getting ready to move to its new home. I had a run away a few miles up the road and stuffed it into the ditch. Sure got my attention real fast.

  1595. #1595kshansen2019-02-01 09:26

    Scoopmobile! I only had a very passing experience with one of those! One of the quarries the company had near here had one for a short time. I think they used it to clean up around the blacktop plant. This was back before skid-steers were very common in the quarries. For some reason I seem to recall it might have had an old Hercules gas engine. Just remember the bucket seemed to be a long way out from the cab compared to machines like 966 Cat and the 100/120 Houghs. Another machine that sticks in my mind is an old small Michigan loader we had for a short time. That one was a rear steer machine and I would rate it as one of the most dangerous loaders I ever saw. The reason is the main boom pivot pins were slightly behind the operators seat and when bucket was raised the lift arms went past the side windows of the cab. Not only did that blind the operators view but heaven forbid if he had the windows open and reached out the window with arms moving! Could not find a picture of it but looks similar to this one that appears to be used pushing rail cars, ours had a full cab.

  1596. #1596Old Doug2019-02-01 18:49

    I have ran several old rear steer loaders that you had to climb over the arms to get in.The bigest scare i ever got from one was i pulled up beside the shop witch was on a hillside were there was a big raven. I shut it off and was seting there and it started rolling back wardes heading for the raven it didnt have any brakes.It was one of those times were in a split second you thought over what to do jump or wast time trying to start it what if it didnt start you could have wasted valuable jumping clear time but it started.

  1597. #1597Mother Deuce2019-02-01 19:27

    I agree you really had to think about waving at someone!

  1598. #1598Hank R2019-02-01 22:37

    Great pictures thanks for sharing.

  1599. #1599Mother Deuce2019-02-02 00:18

    Thanks Hank, my pleasure. Like kshansen and Old Doug I have always thought that probably wasn’t the best loader design ever built. However in that design teams defense there are still about a million of those old Michigan’s around. That speaks volumes as to their popularity at the time. They are alive and working as snow removal machines, farmers, advanced backyarders and some outfits still have one or two around. A pretty good legacy for a machine of its time.

  1600. #1600Hank R2019-02-02 15:53

    Pictures Nov. 1964 truck is a 1958 GMC with a Steerable trailer driver Bert Stolth. Bert was seriously injured and was off work for 2 years when Beam slid forward. .

  1601. #1601DMiller2019-02-02 16:44

    DAYUM!

  1602. #1602Mother Deuce2019-02-02 17:10

    At least he was able to back, pretty close on that one. The steer car wasn't much on creature comforts back then! I used to talk to those guy's from Commercial and Doman's back in the late 70's till they all seemed to just vanish back in the day of the disappearing trucking company.

  1603. #1603Hank R2019-02-02 17:29

    I have a dozen picture of Cmmercial trucks and cranes just do not know what i can or can not post. They were hauling these up to SFU and had to turn around and come down a steep hill to where they were building a new Gym for the univeresty. I am sure after this wreck they were chained down much better.

  1604. #1604RZucker2019-02-02 18:26

    I recall a local outfit building those "steer cars" for Boeing wing moves in the early 90's (ish), they were pretty neat rigs with a 25HP power unit supplying power steering, heat, and A/C. But... I sat in the cab of one of those things and I was 2 sizes bigger than the standard driver I guess.

  1605. #1605Hank R2019-02-02 18:32

    I have a picture of one my friend was in when a tire blew. I can say how he described the thrill when it all happened

  1606. #1606DB22019-02-02 18:37

    Somewhere there is a picture of one near here that toppled over in transit. Wouldn’t want to have made that call.

  1607. #1607Truck Shop2019-02-02 21:51

    This indecent happened in the 70's when the Fred G. Redmond bridge was being built on I-82 north of Yakima, Wa. IIRC the Redmond bridge is the tallest of it's kind. V. Van Dyke heavy hauling at the time was moving the pre-stressed concrete beams 100 feet long for the Redmond bridge from Seattle to the job site north of Yakima. The only route was the Yakima Canyon Rd between Ellensburg and Yakima on the last leg of each trip, very curvy two lane following the river. On one Friday the rig hauling a beam ended up blocking the road for several hours at a place called the Wymer Cut which is a straight drop of over 300 feet down to the river from the road above. Some how {never was told how it happened} the steer car jumped the rock wall at the edge of the road {the rock wall is about three feet high and works as a guard rail. The steer car ended up airborne teetering 300 plus feet over the rocks and river below, the tractor drive axles were about three inches off the ground balancing the whole load. The concrete beam was resting on the rock wall. The guy in the steer car was evacuating his colon while Russell Crane from Yakima had to drive around to Vernita up to Vantage to Ellensburg then down the Canyon road to be able to get close enough to gain leverage to lift and swing the beam back on the road. I'm sure the rigger working for Russell Crane earned his pay that day. It took four hours for the crane to make the trip around. If the steer car driver had dark hair I'm sure it was white and his underwear brown. Headed south bound on the Old Canyon Road you can still see the patch in the rock wall where it happened. The beams may have been longer than 100' I'm not sure on total length. Top that steer car story. $50 bucks says you can't. Truck Shop

  1608. #1608Hank R2019-02-02 22:31

    I do not think there is enough money to make me want to go for a 8 hr or more ride in a steer car..

  1609. #1609Hank R2019-02-03 08:27

    In 1964 Commercial Truck and Crane were hired to haul many large Pre-Cast concrete beams for a gymnasium roof for Simon Frasier University, on Burnaby Mt. This job required the use of a steerable trailers. The trucks would drive up to the top of Burnaby Mt. and turn around and come back down on a special road that would take the trucks to the gymnasium construction site. The contractor that made the beams told Commercial Truck and Crane that to haul the beams they would just have to place some meopreem on the bunks and the beams would not move or slide. This worked great for the first 10 or 11 loads. Then one day it rained and the neopreem became wet. November 1964, Bert Stolth was the driver of a 1958 GMC truck which headed out to the top of Burnaby Mt. turned around and was coming down the new road, when the Pre-cast beam came through the cab of his truck. Bert was seriously injured, in this accident and it took several hrs to remove him from his truck. After a year off from work Bert returned to drive for Commercial Truck he received a new 1966 Ford 850 Super-Duty with a 534 gas engine, and a 5&4 speed transmission. This truck got 1 1/2 to 2 MPG when loaded but had tons of power in its day

  1610. #1610Hank R2019-02-03 08:31
  1611. #1611DMiller2019-02-03 09:13

    Remember seeing logger wagons in OR ID and WA in the late 70s/early 80s with steer car under the loads. LONG log loads.

  1612. #1612Mother Deuce2019-02-03 09:39

    Boeing ran wing assemblies with steer cars nearly continuously between Everett, Renton and Auburn. V. Vandyke had the steer car beam market mostly sewed up in Washington and into Portland. Dale Madden had a couple as did T&T. It seems Widing out of Portland did some beam steer car fun also.

  1613. #1613Mother Deuce2019-02-03 09:43
  1614. #1614Mother Deuce2019-02-03 09:45

    That would have been memorable to come up the hill by the dam through the cut and find yourself teetering on the stone wall. I probably would have called that a career!

  1615. #1615crane operator2019-02-03 10:15

    1968 Diamond Reo Or as the hood says: DIAMOND REO https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/30370591/1968-diamond-reo-c11464db

  1616. #1616Hank R2019-02-03 13:36

    My friend Mike in New Zealand send to me a year or so ago the Steer able Car has come a long ways down under almost a truck??

  1617. #1617crane operator2019-02-03 13:43

    That's kind of cheating with the allison auto. I guess I've seen steerable rears, but I've never seen ones like this, that can act like a "pusher" also. You would have to have a lot of beams to haul, to justify spending that kind of $ building a pusher steer rear.

  1618. #1618Hank R2019-02-03 14:54

    A huge improvement since the 1964 one that Commercial truck and crane started with open air and not much for a seat.

  1619. #1619Mother Deuce2019-02-03 17:57

    That ride is just right. Friday night I'd dump that dolly and take a ride up to the cruzin' spot. I'd be styling at Miners in Yakima!

  1620. #1620Hank R2019-02-03 18:06

    Been to Yakima many times used to go to many car races there to watch in your town and a few drags out at Parker as well. Those down under boy sure make the Steer cars look great almost want to drive or steer one..

  1621. #1621RZucker2019-02-03 18:07

    Miner's... been a while since I stopped in there. I think it was 2 years ago. The burgers are still huge.

  1622. #1622RZucker2019-02-03 18:12

    If you were at renegade raceway in 1980, you may have seen my bone stock Teal green 68 SS396 Chevelle. Sadly it wouldn't hook up well enough to do better than mid 14's.

  1623. #1623Mother Deuce2019-02-03 18:21

    Renegade Raceway! LOL I haven't thought about that in a loooonnnnggg time! Get tamales from Los Hernandez in the Gap (OMG the salsa is fabulous!!) wander down to my friends place in Wapato head out to his uncles place in White swan out past the Fewel (fuel?) farm. The last time I was at Miners was in 2012. Seems like a good solid parsec away.

  1624. #1624Hank R2019-02-03 18:34

    Used to go down and help a couple friends out with there S/G 9.90 car as we did the Division 6 point chase for a few years in the 80's till money ran out and women got into the mix.

  1625. #1625Truck Shop2019-02-03 18:35

    We in Ellensburg called it Yaka-Vegas. Spent many hours at Renegade. and cruising/dragging the gut on Yakima Ave on Friday nights. Use to go down there on Friday nights with a friend that had a 55 Chev panel wagon with a Stroked 427 and a Doug Nash five speed, it was a high boy with a straight axle. Low 11 second car it was.

  1626. #1626Birken Vogt2019-02-03 18:50

    What engine and transmission are in that car I wonder and how do they use it? Being so small I would think it would be a small engine and you would want to leave it not running most of the time so there must be a way to disconnect the Allison? Also how do the brakes work, maybe a double check from the signal from the tractor or the driver's pedal? All kinds of interesting stuff there.

  1627. #1627Hank R2019-02-03 19:44

    A few more pictures from Commercial truck and crane

  1628. #1628Hank R2019-02-04 08:12

    Bert got a new 1973 Freightliner WFT6340 with a 71 series cab. His old KW is in the background.

  1629. #1629Mother Deuce2019-02-04 10:26

    Those guys got a ton of miles out of those needle noses.

  1630. #1630Hank R2019-02-04 16:12

    I just noticed where the air cleaner is, was that where most were or????

  1631. #1631RZucker2019-02-04 17:07

    I have seen the same setup on an early 90's FL daycab from another fleet.

  1632. #1632DMiller2019-02-04 17:29

    Had a couple alternates in those days, underslung basically L wheel well Dry, frame mount behind engine round Dry, some horizontal some vertical back of engine mount round Dry(usually Sleeper) or Donaldson rectangle top of engine mount (again usually sleeper). Could have rain cap mushroom as on this, snorkel hood or snorkel behind radiator fill cab emblem. Those depended on engines types and customer orders. Saw all versions over time. Was similar on old One eyed yard mule that was Oil Bath and got ether loaded.

  1633. #1633Hank R2019-02-04 18:02

    Bert in his needle nose KW still pulling a steer car around.

  1634. #1634Truck Shop2019-02-04 21:49

    That KW conventional looks to be early 60's vintage in the photo above, 923 model. Nice photos-glad someone is posting old photos. Truck Shop

  1635. #1635Hank R2019-02-04 22:24

    I have tons of old photo's. Just do not know if people want to look at. I am getting close to 69 and learned to drive if you had a chrome mirror, 2 air horns and 5 light, on the roof that worked you were trucking big time. I also wrote a small history about Commercial. I can post if you like.

  1636. #1636RZucker2019-02-04 23:11

    Let loose Hank, we all love to see old pics. The ones you have already posted were great.

  1637. #1637Hank R2019-02-04 23:19

    Commercial Truck and Crane Commercial Truck got its start in 1932, in New Westminster B.C. when R. Gaden Legge bought his first truck a used GMC. His first job was hauling lumber from Fraser Mills of Canadian Western Lumber. Gaden Legge as he was known was firm fair friendly man of iron will in a velvet glove. By 1937 he had defied the depression and expanded to three trucks. The phone answering service was at Royal City Motors, ( Does anybody know of a truck dealer today that would provide a answering service for people that purchase a truck?) Mr. Legge incorporated Commercial Truck in 1937. In 1939 came the first of many expansions into what is the Commercial truck corner stone, the marriage of cranes with flat deck trucks. Legge married a second hand dragline to a 6-wheel Maple Leaf ( Chev), he then bought his first trailer a 20ft and moved into the "heavy machinery" hauling business. First big job was the erection of aircraft hanger trusses at Victoria's Pat Bay Airport. A second crane mounted on a conventional truck came when they received a contract to assist in construction of the emergency wartime merchant marine at the North Vancouver Ship Repairs. From this beginning, Commercial Truck and Crane grew, to what by 1968 where they operate ten cranes ranging from 15 up to 62 ton capacity a trailer fleet comprising of 34 flat decks, largely Willock, three low beds, four pipe and three steering trailers. Highway tractors are basically Kenworth 16, with the latest KW additions to the fleet feature GM diesel 8V71, SQHD rear axles, and Page & Page Suspension system. Quietly competent Commercial Truck and Crane operates a happy house. It is essentially a family firm- it extends beyond blood or marriage ties. It is a family of fellows, females combining their assorted talents and experiences to make a firm function efficiently and profitably. Most of Commercial Truck and Crane key people are from the New Westminster area. In the 1960's Commercial Truck and Crane, President and general manager, Gaden Legge. Assistant Manager William M. Gartside, Superintendent Harry L. Fairweather, sales manager Ronald G. Bligh, maintenance superintendent Gordon Erickson, truck and trailer dispatcher William M. Wilkes, crane dispatcher E.G. (Bud) Oddy. Gartside born in New West graduated from University of B.C. in 1956 with a Batchler of Commence, worked for Crown Zellrback of Canada in sales. He readily concedes that having married the boss's daughter hasn't hindered his switch from a promising career in the pulp and paper sales to management in the trucking industry. Harry Fairweather is an ex-driver for the firm having started driving in 1935 with Commercial Truck. Ron Bligh started with Commercial Truck in 1939, he too meets Commercial's unwritten rule, New Westminster has always been his home. Following 20 years behind the wheel of Commercial trucks he spent 3 years as a dispatcher, before moving to his present job as sales manager. Gordon Erickson got to know the Commercial trucks early, he was an apprentice mechanic at the dealership doing Commercial repairs. Bill Wilkes started with Commercial truck in 1937 at the age of 16. Commercial truck and Crane assisted with the building of North Vancouver's, Saskatchewan Pool Elevator with trucks and cranes. By the 1960's Commercial was mostly in lumber and heavy duty moves, moving the unusual the heavy, the high wide and long, is the normal for Commercial truck and crane. Such jobs requiring the co-ordinated use of cranes, flat decks and steering trailers are the special specialty of superintendent of Harry Fairweather. Typical jobs in the late 80's and early 90's required accurate timing. Precast concrete T's were required for a six story parking structure being erected in the heart of Vancouver. Delivery from the manufacture in New Westminster some 10 miles away with trucks and steer-able trailers had to be timed to meet the needs of the contractor and Vancouver traffic officials for the eight daily trips. In 1964 Commercial Truck and Crane were hired to haul many large Pre-Cast concrete beams for a gymnasium roof for Simon Frasier University, on Burnaby Mt. This job required the use of a steerable trailers. The trucks would drive up to the top of Burnaby Mt. and turn around and come back down on a special road that would take the trucks to the gymnasium construction site. The contractor that made the beams told Commercial Truck and Crane that to haul the beams they would just have to place some meopreem on the bunks and the beams would not move or slide. This worked great for the first 10 or 11 loads. Then one day it rained and the neopreem became wet. November 1964, Bert Stolth was the driver of a 1958 GMC truck which headed out to the top of Burnaby Mt. turned around and was coming down the new road, when the Pre-cast beam came through the cab of his truck. Bert was seriously injured, in this accident and it took several hrs to remove him from his truck. After a year off from work Bert returned to drive for Commercial Truck he received a new 1966 Ford 850 Super-Duty with a 534 gas engine, and a 5&4 speed transmission. This truck got 1 1/2 to 2 MPG when loaded but had tons of power in its day. Normal oddball for Commercial Truck and Crane could be a 130 foot lengths of creosoted (slippery) laminated bridge beams, or 20 loads at 24 tons to a trip of pre-cast concrete slabs requiring cranes at each end to lift and place. Some loads meant studying tide tables of saltwater docks so the ferry loading ramps would be able to handle the extra wide and long loads. With the downturn in the B.C. economy in the late 1980's and early 90's which lead to the closing of Commercial Truck and Crane in 1991. Hank Rabe Nov. 2010

  1638. #1638Hank R2019-02-04 23:30
  1639. #1639Hank R2019-02-04 23:34

    Some jobs were tree removal.

  1640. #1640Hank R2019-02-05 07:45

    Jan 1983 Long load concrete beams for Vancouver LRT line near first ave between Clark and Main.

  1641. #1641Hank R2019-02-05 12:39

    Back in the 50's when your starting out you had some not fun work getting a bit of fire wood . Second picture Bert Stolth driver is on right side of picture.

  1642. #1642Hank R2019-02-05 14:54

    These next pictures are from My Father-in Law truck John Ganton. 1947 IH KB-8 F, 360 u. in. 126 hp Red Diamond engine 10: 20 tires. Tandem trucks and trailers were not very common in the interior of BC back then. He bought this truck in Williams Lake and had a gravel box on it worked for a short time, then went logging. Second picture John sitting against Left bumper for a smoke brake.

  1643. #1643Hank R2019-02-06 07:55

    Getting loaded under a Jammer. Corner bind let go going to loose a load. [

  1644. #1644mowingman2019-02-06 08:48

    Neat old truck. Boy, that load looks iffy, at best. Imagine hauling that leaning load today.

  1645. #1645Hank R2019-02-06 12:32

    1941 IH D-500 10,000 lb GVW with suicide doors West of Williams Lake BC. Owned by Dept. of Defence driven by John Ganton in the war years 1944-45

  1646. #1646Hank R2019-02-06 16:06

    Looks like the Canadian government put good steering tires on, and H____ with the drivers....

  1647. #1647RZucker2019-02-06 22:13

    This old girl looks a lot like the lowboy tractor my Grandfather was still using in the late 60's to haul his D-8s and some other big stuff. I think his had a 500 cubic inch engine with a 5x3 trans setup.

  1648. #1648Hank R2019-02-07 08:29

    RZ could he have a KB 11 it is much larger than a 8 John talked about a KB 8 and his brother said he had a KB 11, so I went with a 8 but looking at the front hubs it might be a KB 11.

  1649. #1649Hank R2019-02-07 08:31

    1946 Ford 2 ton near Dog Creek BC

  1650. #1650Hank R2019-02-07 08:41

    John Ganton's Bubble nose Kenworth with Pup trailer for hauling Lumber.

  1651. #1651Hank R2019-02-07 10:41

    Shovel and truck working on the Fraser Canyon highway 1950 near Yale, Truck a FWD??????

  1652. #1652RZucker2019-02-07 20:06

    I believe that is an IH built for the military in the really early '40s.

  1653. #1653RZucker2019-02-07 20:12

    Yeah, I'm not sure what Granddad's tractor was. I remember seeing it in a field 15 years ago and recognized the door lettering, actually drove by there today to look again and its gone. After it was removed from tractor service it was a watering truck and I happened on the tank 10 years ago 30 miles away. I recognized a repair that I helped make in the late 70's and it still had lettering on the rear.

  1654. #1654Hank R2019-02-07 22:29

    1949 WC-20 White 210 bales of Hay Barrier BC Owner Bob Ganton. WC-20 White Dec 26, 1971 over night snow.

  1655. #1655Truck Shop2019-02-08 07:37

    That International logger is a KB--8-F, there are some large differences in the hood between a KB-8 and a KB11, KB12 Truck Shop

  1656. #1656Hank R2019-02-08 07:42

    Thanks when I was in Yakima at the ATHS show I looked the KB trucks over close and I was fairly sure about a KB11-8-F But not 100% thanks

  1657. #1657Truck Shop2019-02-08 07:44

    This is a KB-11

  1658. #1658Hank R2019-02-08 07:54

    1955 IH R-185 with a Black Diamond engine Bob Ganton, Barrier BC.

  1659. #1659Hank R2019-02-08 08:24

    Moving brother George up to Barrier. IH R-185 snowed in Christmas 1071

  1660. #1660Mother Deuce2019-02-08 09:16

    Hmmm folding reach. I bet that was kind of cutting edge at the time.

  1661. #1661Hank R2019-02-08 09:34

    Here in BC from what I was told they were very common as trucks were loaded from a Jammer , very few log loader in the interior in the late 40's and early 50's Trucks had winch to load trailers and unload.

  1662. #1662Hank R2019-02-08 13:11

    R-182 IH and IH ___??? Barrier BC. and a KB 8 IH with a load of logs.

  1663. #1663DMiller2019-02-08 15:51

    Was a Loadstar Series, cannot see the Numeric series. Know of a couple of R-190s around here but the guys won't sell them, ugly as a Poor dirt road.

  1664. #1664Hank R2019-02-08 16:20

    I am most likely wrong but I thought the Loadstar series had a 1 piece fiberglass hood. the one I drove in the 70's did 1700 series but I have been wrong most of my life or over half of it. I just did the google thing and I am wrong again so no beer for me tonight.

  1665. #1665Truck Shop2019-02-08 20:31

    Been along time since I've seen a chained dolly, with ABS brake systems that really became a thing of the past. Nice photos Hank, I really like old black and white photos. Truck Shop

  1666. #1666RZucker2019-02-08 20:51

    Heres a K I saw awhile back. Did not get the model number.

  1667. #1667DMiller2019-02-08 21:14

    Wish I could find one don't care if running in almost ANY old chassis the owner doesn't want thousands for. Everybody thinks they have a collector piece even as does not run, glass broken, missing parts Many with NO TITLE, when is just a cab and maybe chassis to mod out to a Rat Rod or Franken Truck.

  1668. #1668Hank R2019-02-08 21:46

    I really messed up a bit I should of started with some Federal pictures as they were the first trucking for the Ganton boys. Now trying to get a proper order for the next batch .

  1669. #1669RZucker2019-02-08 21:47

    Yup, that Fire truck would be a good home for an 8.3L Cummins with an Allison built up to pull a 5th wheel camper for me.

  1670. #1670Hank R2019-02-08 21:51

    WC-22 White early 1950's with air brakes and water on brakes. air horn is on cab. John standing on cab, Bob beside truck. Unloading a legal??? load of logs at Louis Creek B.C. 1960. Them old trucks sure took a beating in the good old days.

  1671. #1671Tugger22019-02-08 21:54

    Those are great pictures of the old Internationals Hank. I have a K B 5 ,i feel guilty owning it as i just dont have the time to work on so it just sits.

  1672. #1672Hank R2019-02-08 22:41

    A.&T. Transfer Barrier moving an addition for the Ganton family home.

  1673. #1673Mother Deuce2019-02-09 05:56

    Truck Shop and RZ, I shot this back in 11' a little east of Cle Elum off the old Highway if my foggy memory RAM is up to speed. I was just curious if either one of you guy's or maybe John knew anything about this unit. It still has it's "Flying A" door sign as well as the tank.

  1674. #1674Truck Shop2019-02-09 07:29

    That A-Car, DC102 has been setting there since 1975, you were in the canyon between Ellensburg and Cle Elum at a place called Bristol Flats. Here's another shot of it. Truck Shop

  1675. #1675Hank R2019-02-09 07:57

    V-Liner IH with a load of logs not a great picture looks like some one a all most got caught with there pants down.

  1676. #1676Mother Deuce2019-02-09 09:07

    Had both of it’s headlights back then.

  1677. #1677Mother Deuce2019-02-09 09:10

    LOL I guess the other one is still there it is laying on the fender.

  1678. #1678Mother Deuce2019-02-09 09:34
  1679. #1679Mother Deuce2019-02-09 09:39

    Thanks Truck Shop, I was curious if you knew that one. I have a friend here that is a big Acar fan and had me print it for his office. I didn’t know if it was a Wenatchee/Eburg regular or not.

  1680. #1680Hank R2019-02-09 11:31

    1949 Federal model 28A JXLD Hercules 120 hp. 2,200 gallon trailer. driver Bob Ganton, Unloading fuel in Ashcroft summer 1949.

  1681. #1681Mother Deuce2019-02-09 16:32

    Allrighty then... I was given this image to scan by a guy that I hung around with for 33 years he was one of my dearest friends. He flipped up a really bad card and I lost him in 2012 I have this image of who I believe is a uncle or Grandfather to my buddy. It was very laborious to communicate for him so I never have known the answers. I believe it is taken Snoqualmie at the mill. All the strength for that assumption is based on the family living around Issaquah. I have been trying to identify the make of the truck. It's mark is on the upper tank of the radiator. I have tried to pull it up in both Lightroom and Photoshop... no joy. The hood is unusual the way the sheets break to open them. Isn't a Garford, Jimmy, Packard or Fageol. Can anybody identify the make?

  1682. #1682RZucker2019-02-09 17:20

    Possibly a Gersix, a forerunner to Kenworth? I'll do some hunting. Did some Google Fu and that's what it resembles.

  1683. #1683Mother Deuce2019-02-09 18:03

    I tried that also but Gersix had a vertically ribbed top radiator tank and a very prominent grill badge cast into the tank. . The 23 Kenworth continued with that tank. I am thinking west coast maker as well.

  1684. #1684Mother Deuce2019-02-09 19:08

    Didn't Gerlinger build a truck prior to Gersix? Your right about that hood being about spot on. I sent you a message with a link. I think it is a 1918 Federal. I am looking for an image of a wartime Federal

  1685. #1685Truck Shop2019-02-09 22:46

    Gerlinger was founded in 1915. Gersix was from 1917 to 1923. My best is either a Gersix model K 2 1/2 ton or possibly a Schacht. All Gersix models M, K & L had solid 36" tires except on the L model the front were solid and rear were tube type. The L model Gersix was 3 1/2 ton the M model was 1 1/2 ton. Nice photos! Truck Shop

  1686. #1686Mother Deuce2019-02-10 05:39

    Found this image of a 1920 Federal WD7000 dump truck with a tag, on a forum that discusses movie vehicles IMCDb.org Photo credit to them. The image was lifted from the 1928 movie short "Two Tars" and my buddies grandpa's ride seems Grandpa's was a 20ish Federal WD 7000 Thanks for the help! I had not considered anything that early. I was tearing up the mid to late 20's and not finding it.

  1687. #1687Truck Shop2019-02-10 07:36

    Good call on Federal, those models ran up to 1925. One problem with your photo is the back portion of the cab was home made. Truck Shop

  1688. #1688Hank R2019-02-10 08:05

    1949 Federal with younger brother Ken learning to drive truck. Federal # 28A with trailer and Federal # 45 with Continental engine 140 hp. Between Cache Creek and Clinton B.C.

  1689. #1689Mother Deuce2019-02-10 08:29

    Good Morning Truck Shop, Thanks for your help on this. I just needed a little nudge off in the right direction. I was not looking back far enough.Tthe Gerlinger/ Gersix discussion kind of turned on the light plus a little weirdness in my glasses prescription helped a little. I was wondering about that cab too. I searched military Federal images thinking maybe the Army was it's first stop, didn't find anything. The cab must be the result of "advanced backyarding."

  1690. #1690DMiller2019-02-10 08:53

    With all the dirt on the machine and the blur to the photo I thought I could make out the E and D next E of Federal earlier, was not certain eye was playing tricks. Make a REAL man out of ya to drive those old machines. Armstrong Steering and Mechanical brakes on solid rubber across dirt rut roads. May have made 20 or 30 mph on a good day?

  1691. #1691Mother Deuce2019-02-10 10:39
  1692. #1692Mother Deuce2019-02-10 10:42

    I happened to look at top tank mark also and couldn’t get anything... I was reaching to grab something and looked at the image sideways and saw what you did. LOL!

  1693. #1693Truck Shop2019-02-10 18:24

    One thing that went on in those days was the fact that radiators and tank configurations were shared. So there where several truck and car manufactures that used similar looking radiators. Truck Shop

  1694. #1694Hank R2019-02-10 19:14

    Unloading fuel in Cloverdale, boy from down the street liked trucks. Federal unloading in 100 mile

  1695. #1695Truck Shop2019-02-10 21:10

    The last year I ran was 94 then pulled the plates. For the last three of those years I crossed the boarder at Blaine or Sumas headed into Vancouver around 12 to 1 four to five nights a week. I went back to the repair and hired a old hand the last year. I delivered to Tom Yee, Mac Donald and Oppenheimer. I always liked laying on the jake in the Fraser Tunnel. Always left through the Portman scale. I will have three rashers of beacon with two over easy please. During the winter I ran to Kelowna and Kamloops. Don't miss it. Truck Shop

  1696. #1696Mother Deuce2019-02-11 03:42

    What was your last driving gig was my first one. I raced around Sumas, Lynden, Belligham, Ferndale, Sedro Wooley, Bow, Allen and Mt. Vernon. Fly past Jack Mackners place on the Guide, dump a trailer out on Eastt Badger and get rockin' then race into Seattle and unload.

  1697. #1697Hank R2019-02-11 13:15

    My first driving in a real truck was driving dump truck in 1970 before that helped my uncle on the farm hauling grain a no pay job. My last job was March 2018 hauling snow in a dump truck.

  1698. #1698Hank R2019-02-11 13:25

    Federal in Cloverdale with 2 future truck drivers and Bob Ganton

  1699. #1699Hank R2019-02-11 17:00

    Last trip for Federal #45 Sept 1949 near Clinton B.C.

  1700. #1700farmerlund2019-02-11 19:16

    I found this old recorder. Speedometer seams to work. Any of you guys in to old trucks want it?

  1701. #1701kshansen2019-02-11 19:40

    Or if someone wants a grey one with only 105,878 miles on the odometer with key and the wind up clock appears to be working and speedo needle jumps when you spin the input shaft!

  1702. #1702Hank R2019-02-11 19:49

    Been a long time since I have seen one.

  1703. #1703kshansen2019-02-11 19:51

    Dang, I was offing this one before checking Ebay. One there is shown as sold with cracked window and went for close to $40.00 plus about $15.00 shipping. farmerlund and I are both going to be getting rich! Let the bidding war begin! Seriously pay actual shipping and maybe toss in enough for a six pack of a good IPA and it's yours!

  1704. #1704farmerlund2019-02-11 20:45

    Way to show me up Kshansen. I don't have a key, but it is unlocked. LOL. I am not looking for any cash either. just didn't want to throw it if someone is looking for one.

  1705. #1705RZucker2019-02-11 20:52

    I can remember turning in those cards to get paid. Speedograph got the miles for pay... Tachograph was just there to get your butt chewed on occasionally for pushing things on hills. Had a supervisor once that could read them well enough he could give you a half hour lecture about saving fuel and brakes for a given route.

  1706. #1706petepilot2019-02-11 21:57

    I think ts should have one of those in his mack just for looks

  1707. #1707Old Doug2019-02-11 22:02

    When i was 16 i was droped off at a place to drive a truck. It had a tacograph and speedogragh they were mounted in front of the brake buttons. I cant remember what kind of truck it was but it was a cabover 10speed V8 71. When i got there they went and got the truck and pulled it into the street for me to drive away in I was nervus and thought how do you release the brakes. Then i stode up and looked over then . The truck was a glider built from parts from a truck they bought new and was totaled in the first year they owned it. They did a good job puting it together and took good care of it because it would hold air for over a week i have never saw a truck that would do that and its engine didnt leak any oil other than the blowby pipes. I dont remember what it was i worked for a guy that bought trucks from this place they were IHs and Fords.

  1708. #1708kshansen2019-02-12 07:10

    And to add to it I wound the clock last night about the time I wrote that and set the hands to 12:00 and now just looked at it and it shows 11:30 and it's still ticking! Not bad for a clock that has sat on shelf in basement for maybe twenty years and hard to guess how long it sat on the shelf in the back of shop at work before I decided to "rescue" it! If memory serves me right this one came out of an old Diamond Reo mixer truck we scraped out and put the drivers under the old Bantam truck crane that as far as I know is still running around the quarry. Some place around the house I did have the "DIAMOND REO" lettering off the side of the hood.

  1709. #1709DMiller2019-02-12 07:13

    We had them in the Fleet trucks for Slay Transport St. Louis, drivers hated them as were 600 teamsters, trucks would come back with cables cut dashes broke up from beating on them and the mechanisms half destroyed. Slay management never said a word on repairs cost while continued spec'ng the trucks with them. Had Titans and Astros with those on 8V 71s. Had one imposing looking TINY tandem axle Trailer maybe 30' long, Huge 16" I beam steel framing to what appeared as a 500-750 gallon tank with a bolt down lid, hauled Mercury in it.

  1710. #1710kshansen2019-02-12 07:40

    Well if my calculations are right 500 gallons of mercury would weigh 56,480 pounds!

  1711. #1711DMiller2019-02-12 08:41

    Was not that big inside, had 6-8" thick steel wall and a 12" thick floor, IIRC held around 150 gallon product, they only ran from site of prep to a delivery user once a month. Thermostats and thermometers. They really do not hold much.

  1712. #1712Hank R2019-02-12 11:31

    1957 IH and a Freightliner, Calgary stock yards. 1957 Freightliner, 220 Cummins,10 speed Direct transmission, and 2 speed rear ends

  1713. #1713DMiller2019-02-12 13:01

    R series, STILL Dirt road Ugly!! Freight Shakers did not change much externally over the years.

  1714. #1714Hank R2019-02-12 15:52

    On the R IH would that be a luberfinder?? or air cleaner I was only 7 back then so I know nothing.

  1715. #1715RZucker2019-02-12 17:11

    I'm pretty sure that's a luberefiner. Worked on an old R in the 80's with a J series Cummins (160HP with a giant Elliot looking water cooled turbo) I think it had the LF in the same spot. That R has an exhaust stack that hides in the pic, could be the same setup.

  1716. #1716RZucker2019-02-12 17:21

    Oh, come on now... A little chrome, polished aluminum, Big pipes and a train horn and a hay hauler would buy it. Actually a hay company in Ellensburg had an R series yard tractor, it was pretty sharp looking. I haven't seen it for a few years, it may still be working.

  1717. #1717DMiller2019-02-12 19:21

    They could be dressed up but still lipstick on a Pig!! Drove one for a few months and Hauling Hay, looked better from the Inside!! Had a Red Diamond 450 Gas in it 4&2, stop on the way in stop on the way out and top off or not enough in a 52 gal tank to make a full round whole 37 miles one way doing field pickup!

  1718. #1718Truck Shop2019-02-12 21:25

    Ward Rugh, at one time he had about 20 IH R series

  1719. #1719RZucker2019-02-12 21:28

    Wow. That's who I was talking about. Didn't know they had 20.

  1720. #1720Truck Shop2019-02-12 21:46

    I think Dave needs a nice die-cast model of a R series to put on the shelf next to his bar so he can admire it. Truck Shop

  1721. #1721petepilot2019-02-12 21:54

    talkin about luberfiners I need a chrome seal clamp for a 750 i`ll bet some one who reads old iron daily either has one or knows where one is ?

  1722. #1722Junkyard2019-02-12 21:57

    Let me look....if I still have the one off my 359 it’s all yours. You can have the whole thing.

  1723. #1723Junkyard2019-02-12 21:58

    I know what he’s getting for his birthday! Think they have an R model decanter?!?!?

  1724. #1724Hank R2019-02-12 23:25

    So I guess I am not allowed to post R pictures then...

  1725. #1725RZucker2019-02-12 23:30

    Oh please do... I have a sick affinity for those trucks.

  1726. #1726DMiller2019-02-13 07:28

    Don't mind any of it, Worked on all too many and drove enough to admit they were good and long lived machines. Liked the R180 better than the 190 as had more style still Dirt Road ugly!! The Vstar 220 was a overall better looking wagon!

  1727. #1727Hank R2019-02-13 08:58

    1954 IH 10 speed, 220 Cummins, 10 speed. Transporting RCMP Musical Ride in BC.1966 Thompson’s Van Lines. Photo Kelowna BC John Draper beside truck. Right side view of 1954 IH. 1966 Osoyoos B.C. Sorry do not remember what model it was??

  1728. #1728RZucker2019-02-13 13:47

    Back in 83ish, I was fueling up "James" my GMC 9500 at the local truck stop and one of those IH cabovers rolled in next to me. Beautiful truck, Jet black with dual chrome everything. I believe it was leased to International transport Inc, got to talking with the owner and found out it was on a late model Peterbilt cabover frame that had suffered a cab fire. I'm sure there was a ton of money sitting there.

  1729. #1729Mother Deuce2019-02-13 14:55

    Geez I was guessing Mackner's for the R model.

  1730. #1730RZucker2019-02-13 15:01

    Rolled across that scale a few times back in the day hauling feed grain to the Shaake feed mill.

  1731. #1731Mother Deuce2019-02-13 15:14

    I used to get a kick out Jack and Dan. They were hysterical on the radio back in the day. Kind of hard to believe that Ed is the only brother left.

  1732. #1732RZucker2019-02-13 15:27

    I dont have any pics of James, but if you put the wrecker paint job on the Lane truck, that's him. I had 22.5 aluminum on the front an 22.5s on the spokes in the rear.

  1733. #1733Truck Shop2019-02-13 20:53

    The original two story Corn Queen

  1734. #1734petepilot2019-02-13 21:26

    another one not far from me

  1735. #1735RZucker2019-02-13 21:45

    Nice... Old Cummins with a blower.

  1736. #1736petepilot2019-02-13 22:00

    320 i`m told

  1737. #1737Tenwheeler2019-02-13 22:01

    And some are still getting the job done.

  1738. #1738petepilot2019-02-14 02:20

    I think i passed that one somewhere not long ago

  1739. #1739Hank R2019-02-14 07:40

    1954 IH and 1963 Chev. RCMP Musical Ride 1966 Kelowna B.C. Thompson's Musical ride fleet 1966 Nelson B.C. 1969 Chev, 1963 Chev, 1954 IH, 1954 Mercury M-800

  1740. #1740DMiller2019-02-14 08:05

    Always reminded me of the swing fender Dodges too, like they were designed by the same guys!! Surprised the drivers of those did not get sea sick sitting so high rolling side to side in turns!! Do not know the series numbers anymore but were these not the initial Emeryvilles? Made in Emeryville In.?

  1741. #1741Hank R2019-02-14 11:08

    I believe they were RDC-405

  1742. #1742DMiller2019-02-14 15:43

    Forgot the Classification ID, that sounds like it. The Emeryville's were a really odd line of trucks. My Super Duty Ford reminded me of the later ones by the door design with that teardrop at the leading edge.

  1743. #1743DMiller2019-02-14 15:44
  1744. #1744Truck Shop2019-02-14 20:50

    5,6,8 & CNT 900 Dodges

  1745. #1745Hank R2019-02-14 23:30

    My friend Norm was a logger up near Prince George BC. His first truck was a used 1941 Ford. After a few years he wanted to upgrade and have 2 trucks he bought 2, R-200 IH Tandem short logger trucks with 10 ft wide bunks no trailers. While looking at trucks he went to several dealers and the IH dealer was a lot cheaper than any other truck dealers were. After a week he found out why as the salesman took off with Norms wife. Norm says that was the best thing ever as he got 2 new truck that made him money.

  1746. #1746Hank R2019-02-15 13:21

    Thinking old Norm was a little hard on paint in those days step on IH has a opps.

  1747. #1747DMiller2019-02-15 14:36

    Do not remember them with flat sided fenders!! Or humped running boards!!

  1748. #1748kshansen2019-02-15 19:03

    I think those are "Work Trucks" not show trucks. Considering the conditions they had to deal with they probably did not look too bad!

  1749. #1749Hank R2019-02-15 22:34

    New 848 Kenworth 6X6 With a logging arch on the back. Norm was a welder and build his own logging arch which was built so it could be removed quickly and logging bunks could be installed on truck to haul short logs. Kenworth with D-8 cat on its back

  1750. #1750DMiller2019-02-16 08:29

    Old wagons led a rough life. 190 missing L mirror(arm still there) bent all over, L door bent up, the KW fender in Cat photo bent up and back, tough living logging.

  1751. #1751Hank R2019-02-16 11:42

    The reason or part of it is that the steaks were tripped and logs rolled off have pictures to explain or show in a day or so. And trucks were 50% overloaded on a light load many times.

  1752. #1752Hank R2019-02-16 11:54

    In 1960 bought a 1952 Mack off highway truck. This was one of 6 trucks had rock boxes on in the iron ore mines in Quebec, the boxes were removed and truck were then driven out to B.C. and sold for logging it a long slow drive since top speed was only 25 mph. V-12 Cummings, Schiender-Westinhouse torque-converter, 4 speed transmission, planetary gears in rear ends. Norm is 6ft, 4 so the truck is huge , 16:00 X 25 tires. Norm lengthen the frame 4 ft so he could build and install a logging arch in order to skid logs. 1952 Mack with logging arch February 1963

  1753. #1753crane operator2019-02-16 12:14

    Not only is it ugly- its got a triple nickel in it too. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/190219/item/FQ9184/1975-Dodge-XCNT8-Trucks-Truck_Chassis-Oklahoma

  1754. #1754crane operator2019-02-16 12:17

    Looks like some kind of multi speed rear axle too? And a box for aux. PTO. Really its in pretty good shape.

  1755. #1755Birken Vogt2019-02-16 13:06

    I wonder what engine it had originally. Was the 555 an option in 1975? The engine tags say 1984.

  1756. #1756crane operator2019-02-16 13:36

    My 25 ton grove from 1976 was available as 6v53 detroit, 3208 cat, or 555 cummins. They are all about the same size physically. Knowing the life expectancy of a 555, I would say it got replaced.

  1757. #1757DMiller2019-02-16 14:05

    Most of the Dodges here had 8 or 6V71s the long hood variety had 855 cummins as a general rule This one likely is a salvage yard escapee!

  1758. #1758Birken Vogt2019-02-16 14:39

    If you look on the auction site it has a tag saying it was USFS excess property and that split shaft PTO means it was a fire truck. It was probably used by the USFS for many years until they got tired of it, then gave it to some poor rural fire department who probably took as good of care as money would allow and low miles until recently and then sold it off like this. So it probably is a pretty OK runner depending on how long it sat and mouldered. Or if some farmer had it in the meantime. But the paint looks pretty good for that.

  1759. #1759mowingman2019-02-16 18:42

    Most, if not all these long frame Dodges, were built for the military. They had some sort of refueling tank on the back, for aircraft, I think. There used to be a lot of them floating around rural fire districts and such, here in Texas. Most have been sold off at Govt. auctons, in the past 10 or 15 years.

  1760. #1760Birken Vogt2019-02-16 20:12

    That would make sense because a lot of rural FDs did use the USFS as a friendly federal intermediary between them and the military for things like trucks and equipment. The game goes, the FD finds something they want at the military excess place, the military transfers it to the USFS, the USFS "lends" it to the FD, hence the sticker, they "might ask for it back one day" Otherwise it takes a real life "act of congress" to get stuff out of the federal system.

  1761. #1761Hank R2019-02-16 23:23

    The only pictures of the original self loading trailer here in BC. When trucks were pretty plain inside the cab

  1762. #1762Hank R2019-02-17 08:24

    I ment by Original self loading not the very first, but back in the late 40's this is what they looked like.

  1763. #1763doublewide2019-02-17 08:58

    Really enjoying all the pictures and stories that go with them. Thanks!

  1764. #1764Hank R2019-02-17 18:10

    Fleet of six trucks at Copper Mountain in 1952. 1952 Ford F-8 getting loaded by a Northwest shovel 1952 Ford F-8 with 8 yard rock box taken at Copper Mountain.

  1765. #1765DMiller2019-02-17 21:12

    Will expand on the Comet Trailer Saga. 1980 SLC UT, my 79 K100C comes straggling in with my partner whining about no power. 8V92 435. Change fuel filters, no water minimal debris, less than two weeks on the truck. Ask him what was up. Get told picked up load of Steel outside of Denver, plate headed for Comet Spokane shops. Truck just dogging as if brakes dragging but none hot so figured filters or something going bad. Check truck over rather quickly nothing obvious then go for ride, slogging like an anchor out so we start looking harder, run by the 76TS in SLC, get it weighed for something to go by as the load was supposed to be around 43,000 in plate and treadplate. Get in and look at ticket gross was 88,825 and all I could think was no way in hell. Back to yard untarp and inventory, six EXTRA sheets 8x8 1/4" treadplate to bills, 9 sheets of 8x8 1/4" flat as well. Go get fork truck offload the extra sheets down to one each extra of both. Rescale and just a few hundred over 80,000 full on fuel so partner takes off to Spokane with ME in the jump seat. Truck ran GREAT!! get to Spokane stop in at guard shack get directed to offload yard. Foreman walks up we untarp he gives my partner crap for having a lumper(me) partner blows it off, he takes bills and as sheets come off stammers a little. Says we are light, so I look at him and note we are one sheet heavy on BOTH piles to the bills, he stammers some more, says bills are wrong gives a number was to receive. I take our copy compare to stacks, one extra each pile, show legal weight scale ticket and let him know was truck owner so what was the problem? He signs off and we get sent off bills accepted. Dispatch calls me next week, asks if problem with Comet load said no just a little heavy said OK and went on, we did not see any more Comet steel loads. Seems they did that A LOT back then, padding the loads deny the overload against load tickets for overweight catches. A lot of Jeep crazies were really happy some cheap steel showed up to reinforce the corners and floor pans on the off roaders they were building!!

  1766. #1766Hank R2019-02-18 15:51

    1966 Ford 850 Super-Duty gas 5&4 speed with a D-7 E

  1767. #1767RZucker2019-02-19 00:30

    Ah, the good old days, when gas stations were 10 miles apart.

  1768. #1768petepilot2019-02-19 01:51

    1,8 mpg load if not completly flat

  1769. #1769Mother Deuce2019-02-19 06:41

    LOL! Got that T shirt! That 534 was incredibly thirsty!

  1770. #1770Hank R2019-02-19 08:24

    Ford getting loaded by a Scoopmobile loader. Ford getting loaded by a Unit Shovel

  1771. #1771Hank R2019-02-19 11:54

    Some days you just do not make any money. 1960 truck accident after driver fell asleep. He was not injured

  1772. #1772petepilot2019-02-19 17:30

    I think i`d feel a little better staying in the cab while loading with the unit than with that big northwest

  1773. #1773Hank R2019-02-19 17:41

    That North West was a good sized shovel for them little truck boxes. Will ask Rollo in morning how large the bucket on the North West was.

  1774. #1774petepilot2019-02-19 20:03

    a 41 would handle a 6 1/2 yrd. don`t think one pictured is a 41

  1775. #1775Mother Deuce2019-02-19 20:51

    A Northwest 80D was a 4 or 5 yard track machine and was a large unit. I loaded under one for a season in a equally ancient R22 Euc that still had a clutch with a low high box and a 4 speed. It didn’t have any brakes so we didn’t go real fast.

  1776. #1776Hank R2019-02-19 21:40

    I am guessing a 2 yard bucket at the most.

  1777. #1777Hank R2019-02-20 12:03

    The North West shovel was yd and 1/2. The unit shovel was 1/2 yd

  1778. #1778Hank R2019-02-20 14:41

    1960 Hough loader loading a Ford. 1969 Ford F-8000 extra heavy duty diesel, I used to drive this truck back in the late 70's

  1779. #1779Hank R2019-02-21 08:04
  1780. #1780Hank R2019-02-21 08:48

    If I remember correct the person that gave me the photo said they were unloading the Cat so they could pull the truck to the top of hill.

  1781. #1781Hank R2019-02-22 12:50

    1958 Mercury with logging trailer

  1782. #1782Tugger22019-02-22 22:11

    You sure notice all the abandoned gas stations if you head up north on the Alaska Highway, we are too damm fuel efficient for our own good.

  1783. #1783Hank R2019-02-22 22:41

    These pictures were taken a 5 minute walk from where i live. . The tank on top of truck box is for water to cool the brakes back in the day. ee

  1784. #1784Mother Deuce2019-02-23 06:37

    I traveled the Alaska Highway a few times in February when I was working up there in the early 80's. Still was couple hundred miles of dirt then. Seems like fuel was about 100/110 miles apart I was driving a 72 GMC Jimmy then and it would get 13 to 14mpg. The last time I went. My fueling stops had me stopping at the same places as John, a carpenter headed to Fairbanks. We were fueling at the same places so we decided to run together. It was snowing and blowing from about Pink Mountain on. We fueled at Watson Lake and slid into the Watson Lake Lodge (the mounted bear they had in the lobby that was made to look like it was jumping out to the wall was very cool!) The lodge sat on a frontage road, got up left in the morning and made a little mistake... It was still snowing and probably 15 or 20 below we never got off the frontage road and rolled out of town and right onto the Robert Campbell Hwy. About 65 miles out of Watson Lake, a mile past the Tungsten NWT access road I spun the Jimmy into a snowbank. I had packed half my belongings into it and it was heavy to the back. John had went on ahead and had no idea I was entertaining myself in the snow. Fortunately it had stopped snowing and was evolving into a beautiful bitterly cold day. I had a problem... I had a plow frame on the truck and while it had rendered the truck damage free it and the winch bumper and up to the top of the hood was buried and I had a lot of stuff but no shovel. Dumb girl move. I wouldn't go up Alaska Highway in mid July without a shovel now. I am digging out the truck with my hands at 20 below and I'm getting wet from the snow and sweating and while the truck would run for heat. I was slowly working my way to the perfect hypothermia storm. That is where teaming up with John, became one of the better moves of my life. He missed me after a ways and came back to find me. We used his shovel to finish digging me out. The truck backed right out and up the road we went still not realizing we were on the wrong road. We even talked about how we thought the "Hwy" would be maintained better than this. Teslin was our next planned fuel stop which is like a 110 miles out of Watson Lake. We get out a 100 then 110 miles and no Teslin and now I am in front breaking trail in front of John so his car could run in the Jimmy's track. We run onto a sign on a bridge out in the middle of nowhere that said "Big Campbell River" (if I remember correctly) we stop and spread every map we have collectively over the hood of the truck searching for the river. We found it. We figured we were between 130 and 150 miles out of Ross River. I had about a a 1/3 of a tank left and had been in 4wd for awhile. Selected 2wd and set out for Ross River with about about 8 inches of snow on the road. Went around a corner and there was about 20 Caribou just staring at me like I had been beamed in by Mr. Spock. We arrived in Ross River about noon. The truck was past empty and I am fairly sure that with a 72 Jimmy and 20 below you can squeeze thirty miles of fuel out of the steering wheel. We rolled into the at the time only gas station/ fuel bulk /store where I purchased what would stand as the most expensive tank of fuel I ever purchased well into the 2000's. The store owner looked at us and asked where we had came from... I looked at him and said " Watson Lake" He looks at us and says "Really? That Hwy is closed" I just looked at him and said "It's open now." It did answer a lot of questions I had about YT winter road maintenance. We left Ross River and wandered up to Carmacks and then down to White Horse and into Tok. It was a interesting little adventure, I didn't die of exposure and that 150 miles of undisturbed Yukon road and the scenery was worth the the price of admission. I have some images I will try and find. The people who operated the year round fuel stations on the Alaska Highway were a hardy bunch some of them were just about the coolest people you would want to meet. like the guy in Teslin on one trip when I rolled in there late. He was closed. He and his wife reopened the place I got fuel and he fired his kitchen back up and made me a meal. Never knew his name, he is probably gone now but I remember him and his wife fondly. I am sad to hear that those people are abandoning the stations. Seems like a century ago now but it was oddly vibrant back then.

  1785. #1785Truck Shop2019-02-23 07:31

    A friend of mine dead now 7 years, name {Dave Holiday} drove the haul road during the building of the Alaska pipe line. He had a W900 A model long hood with a 3408 he ran up there. He had shot a black tail deer and had loaded it on the drom, a ways up the road he had to stop and wait for a group of graders dressing the road and equipment headed south. He took a nap only to be wakened by the truck rocking he opened the curtain on the back window of the sleeper and staring straight at him inches away was a brown bear. {Dave was one hell of a wheel man-not many like him} Truck Shop

  1786. #1786Hank R2019-02-23 14:04

    Just a question i was looking back since page 79 I have been posting a lot of pictures should I take a break so others can use this site or carry on?? Or what kind of pictures are good to post or not off interest.

  1787. #1787RZucker2019-02-23 14:31

    You got pics... Show them. So far yours have been great. Some really cool stuff so far.

  1788. #1788colson042019-02-23 14:38

    Keep posting Hank! I love seeing the old trucks in action, and hearing a bit of the story that goes with the picture.

  1789. #1789Mother Deuce2019-02-23 14:52

    I agree Hank keep doing what your doing. Think what would happen if we all had to report to your house to see them!

  1790. #1790Hank R2019-02-23 16:25

    Siwash Creek Tressel, part of the Kettle Valley Railway was opened May 25, 1915. In 1947 Canadian Pacific Railway decided to fill the tressel. CPR used side dump hoppers to fill the valley. This job lasted for 2 years. From the bottom of the valley looking up a 3 ton GM truck dumping concrete. Before the fill could be completed a very large concrete culvert had to be built. To handle the water from Siwash Creek.

  1791. #1791Tugger22019-02-23 19:54

    Keep them coming Hank, these are great pictures.

  1792. #1792Hank R2019-02-23 20:28

    Small concrete batch plant near Tressel to supply concrete for the culvert. Looks like lots of hard hand work. Hard to find any one to do that work now a days.

  1793. #1793Truck Shop2019-02-23 21:48

    Those guy's above are working their *** off.

  1794. #1794Hank R2019-02-24 08:24

    Looks like the hoist broke on this truck and the box came down hard and broke the truck frame. Note the rocks in the truck box. A job for Truck Shop

  1795. #1795Mother Deuce2019-02-24 08:40

    Looks like he should bring the wrecker with him...

  1796. #1796Old Doug2019-02-24 12:39

    Pictures of old trucks and equipment on the job fascinate me. Thanks to every one for takeing the time to share.

  1797. #1797petepilot2019-02-24 17:44

    bet that woke the driver up

  1798. #1798Hank R2019-02-24 17:57

    Bet there is no dust in the roof Liner..Wonder what happened to the hood.

  1799. #1799petepilot2019-02-24 18:44

    have seen pics. of a 33 day old autocar 85 yr.mdl that had roughly the same thing happen only with 31 tons of coal on it .owner went to dump the load and truck leaned over to much to suit him. when he tried letting the bed back down it hung and drained the oil back into the tank. he did not pump the cyl. back up they then eased a 980 cat up against the bed and down it came totaly ruined the truck

  1800. #1800Truck Shop2019-02-24 21:24

    I remember a last year 1987 359 Pete dump that a hydraulic hose parted life on, with a load of wet pit run. That driver never walked right after that and stuttered like Porky Pig. Bent those rails with ease it did. Truck Shop

  1801. #1801Hank R2019-02-24 22:26

    Princeton Transfer hauling a load of Re-bar for the culvert. Appears that there is a problem with some of the re-bar on the first truck.

  1802. #1802petepilot2019-02-24 23:48

    owner/driver was out of the vehicle when this happened . if he had thought to pull the handle back up most likely everything would have been ok as it was the rig was JUST destroyed

  1803. #1803petepilot2019-02-24 23:52

    call me chicken but i would not have been anywhere near where that guy on the ground is. I can picture osha here or what ever the ca. equiv. is checking out that scene now days

  1804. #1804Truck Shop2019-02-25 07:29

    That photo reminds me of when the new highway down the Lewiston Grade was opened just at the start of winter. Ryerson Steel truck loaded with a variety mainly re-bar took the third escape ramp only to soar off the end, cab totally harpooned with steel. DOT had not tilled the pea gravel after several freeze and thaws. Truck Shop

  1805. #1805Hank R2019-02-25 08:20

    The old truck drivers worked a lot harder than the labors do now a days.

  1806. #1806Hank R2019-02-25 18:08

    Question I do not have a answer for is on page 90 when they were filling in the tressel how did the inside fill up with rock and not colapse the tressel?? I have asked 15 old boys from town and no one know or remembers.

  1807. #1807petepilot2019-02-25 18:38

    carefully aimed chutes and or conveyors is about the only way it could have been done` imop

  1808. #1808Old Doug2019-02-25 19:05

    I could be wrong but i bet they removed the wood because it would have been the hard way.Did they lay more tracks beside the old ones?

  1809. #1809Hank R2019-02-25 19:21

    I do not know if they laid more tracks they may off like i said it was a 2 year job in the late 40's and I did not find or receive these pictures until 2008. So any one that worked on this project was gone and not many people took pictures back then of work.

  1810. #1810RZucker2019-02-25 20:54

    In the 40's the Milwaukee Road filled a local trestle that is still in use by a Shortline RR, for 20 years the fill has been sinking in the center as the wood rots away. They also have been dealing with wooden culverts that are slowly collapsing.

  1811. #1811Birken Vogt2019-02-26 00:20

    I know it was common practice to leave at least the vertical posts, maybe they unbolted the horizontal members as they got to ground level. Over by Novato a couple weeks ago I think it was Novato Creek flooded and washed away part of a levee with the RR on it and the ancient posts were exposed half rotted.

  1812. #1812DMiller2019-02-26 07:40

    Bury wood where cannot get air takes a LONG time to rot below grade, add high or low pH as with Limestone(High) and the caustic aspect eats it away.

  1813. #1813Hank R2019-02-26 13:33

    Siwash Creek on left of picture, this is where the material for the concrete most likely came from, six trucks in the picture.

  1814. #1814petepilot2019-02-26 19:43

    is there any way to know whether that rail line is still in use ? that would have been a huge fill job

  1815. #1815Hank R2019-02-26 21:44

    The rail line was in use till 1985. It is now part of the Trans Canada trail system. I have ATV across many times as it is less than 20 miles from my house.

  1816. #1816Hank R2019-02-26 22:26

    Winter of 1948-49 driver Ralph Gelletley for Princeton Transfer Building the new bridge in Princeton on Highway 3.

  1817. #1817Tugger22019-02-26 23:04

    A Lorain or Northwest in the background ? Any side views of that bridge, be interesting to see the falsework.

  1818. #1818Mother Deuce2019-02-27 03:40

    Take an "after" shot next if find yourself in the neighborhood this summer from where the original one was taken and compare it to the original. Might shed a little light on where the roadbed ended up.

  1819. #1819Hank R2019-02-27 17:38

    Princeton Transfer truck driver Ralph Gelletley cowboy hat. Looks like the rest of the crew were Iron workers working on the bridge. Bridge beams came in on the Railway and unloaded and hauled 1/4 mile to the bridge site. Most likely 2 trucks back to back were used.

  1820. #1820HydraMacDieHard792019-02-28 09:54

    wow! That's an International Cherry Picker... aka International RDC-405... Boy what a dream truck. Wonder where it's at now?

  1821. #1821Hank R2019-02-28 13:37

    I would like to have that trailer and truck it would be great at the truck shows

  1822. #1822Hank R2019-02-28 13:44

    A couple of pictures from Princeton Had wrote down on a piece of paper about pictures and now I can not find sorry everyone.

  1823. #1823Tugger22019-02-28 21:54

    Heavy moving gang !

  1824. #1824Hank R2019-03-01 08:44

    Eddie Anderson, driver sitting on a load of timbers

  1825. #1825Hank R2019-03-01 18:57

    United Distilleries Ltd (UDL) operated the Brewery under the name of Princeton Brewery Co. Ltd. from 1936 to 1957. George Schisler became brewmaster from 1936 to 1955. George's son Stan went to Chicago School of Brewmasters for advance training. Stan became Brewmaster from 1955 to 1958. During these years the brewery had several expansions. At the site of the Brewery there was a huge sandstone cave. This cave was used as a storage room for the fine Princeton beer which was ageing in the "old cave" It could hold 24 rail cars of beer. Up to 1949 most of the beer was shipped out by rail. The Brewery owned a Dodge truck with a Van for deliveries and a small International 1 ton flat deck which was driven by Nick Oreskovich. After the opening of the Hope-Princeton highway Nov. 2, 1949 the Brewery bought there own small fleet of trucks. In 1952 they had 5 Mercury Big job 5 ton tractors with trailers, 1- IH KB-11 tandam staight truck with Van for deliveries to the Okanagan and local. 1- Ford single axle dump truck for hauling barley malt away to local farms for feed. The trailers had several white crosses painted on the front sides and back so the public would know that the drivers had First-Aid and could help any motorist on the highway that needed First-Aid. The Ford trucks with trailers would haul beer to New Westminster, UDL wherehouse, the drivers would lay over in Vancouver for the night. Next day they would pick up a load of empty bottles new and used, cardboard for beer cartons and head back to Princeton, some times they would pick up a load of hops in Chillwack to bring back. In 1955 Princeton Brewery bought a Hayes Cab over diesel for team drivers to haul north to Prince George and Dawson Creek B.C. This was a prefered run since it paid $2.00 per hr. weather you were driveing or sleeping. Les McKenzie and Louis Cappos were one of the team drivers. There were a lot of Greyhound bus drivers that always had there name on a list wanting to drive the Brewery trucks. In 1957 Public Freightways started hauling Princeton beer all over the Province. In 1957, A. McLennan of UDL sold Princeton Brewery to his own Company for $360,000. In 1958 it was sold again to Cariboo Brewery of Prince George B.C. Which was purchased by Calgary Brewing Co. which in turn was owned by Canadian Breweries Ltd. In 1960 Princeton Brewery was closed and the buildings were demolished and the caves were also destroyed to make way for the new Hope road entrance into Princeton. Today it is doubtful if the citizens of Princeton would sit back and let such a historical monument to be destroyed.

  1826. #1826Hank R2019-03-01 19:01

    First and Second truck that Princeton Brewery had, Eddie Anderson was one of the drivers. Ralph Anderson Collection Eddie Anderson driver

  1827. #1827Hank R2019-03-02 08:14

    Two more Brewery trucks, Eddie Anderson sitting on the second truck, and two of Princeton's nice ladies on front truck.

  1828. #1828Hank R2019-03-02 22:19

    IH KB-11 tandem and two Mercury Big Jobs. drivers Charlie Bond and Gordon Currie.

  1829. #1829Hank R2019-03-03 08:50

    1954 three brewery trucks at Skagit Bluffs, road was closed due to an accident, so the drivers climbed up to take a picture or 2.

  1830. #1830Truck Shop2019-03-03 21:36

    Ran across this photo of the first so called roll-tilt deck for towing

  1831. #1831Truck Shop2019-03-03 21:52

    The Holmes 850 was actually a low production unit for Holmes there were not that many built, $65,000 was a bunch of money in the 60's so the 750 model was the big seller at $42,000. Some nice examples below of the 40 ton 850, which was rated on a full spool-first wrap was 50 ton. The 850 was a king in his day and in some respects still is.

  1832. #1832DB22019-03-04 08:36

    TD is gonna love those 850 pics !

  1833. #1833Truck Shop2019-03-04 19:44

    As the vines take over

  1834. #1834Tenwheeler2019-03-04 21:09

    Surly not for sale. Gonna fix her up.

  1835. #1835Hank R2019-03-04 23:07

    1956 accident involving a Princeton Brewing Co. Ltd. Mercury tractor/trailer near Fry's Corner. Cloverdale, BC. The truck was new at the time. Some times the first aid is needed for the truck and trailer.

  1836. #1836Truck Shop2019-03-05 19:33

    I posted this photo of this 77' 4090 a year ago on HTF and a guy down under has contacted me about it. Apparently he is very interested in it. International didn't build many 4090 Corn Queens. 12v71 with SSHD's on Hendrickson walking beam.

  1837. #1837RZucker2019-03-05 19:36

    That's the one I remember.

  1838. #1838crane operator2019-03-05 20:15

    While we're posting pictures of cabover's. So what happens when you have too big of a flatbed and not enough ground clearance? Why, just mount the fuel tanks on the flat bed! Only in arkansas... https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/rosie-flatbed-hauler/6834213093.html Flatbed Hauler - $20000 condition: good make / manufacturer: Ford model name / number: CL9000 1985 CL 9000 w/Sleeper in GOOD condition. 396,960 Actual Miles Transmission - 10 Speed Jake Brake Twin Screw Rear End 24' Flat Bed Good Tires Good Brakes 300 Gallon Fuel Capacity New Clutch ** Has A/C - but will need to be serviced *** Some air lines in dash may need repairing ****Truck was driven from California to Arkansas in July of 2018. It ran well and did not use any oil or antifreeze.

  1839. #1839crane operator2019-03-05 20:22

    And they only want $20,000 for it. I can't believe I'm not headed there with a check already.

  1840. #1840RZucker2019-03-05 21:14

    I drove one of those for a while in '82. What a pile of... Like Dad said... "If they build cars or combines... I don't want it."

  1841. #1841crane operator2019-03-05 21:37

    Aw come on now, I've got a louisville ford in the fleet with a big cam and 13 speed, and if you can get past the cab making noises like rocks in a tin can, its not too bad a old rig. Granted, I'm into mine for a similar amount as what they are asking for that cabover, I just don't have the extra zero on the end of the number. And I'll take my ford's cab over any old freighliner I've had. Visibility in the fords is like sitting in a aquarium, you can see everything. The old freightliner cabs are like sitting in a submarine. There might be ground out there, but you sure can't see it when your driving.

  1842. #1842RZucker2019-03-05 22:16

    That was mostly humor. I myself ran a GMC 9500 for 290,000 miles hauling grain. It was a good old truck.

  1843. #1843Hank R2019-03-05 22:29

    Them old Louisville Fords make the best dump trucks take a Ford over a KW, Freightliner and Star any day see great and turn well.

  1844. #1844Mother Deuce2019-03-06 04:04

    Seems like they always had a 15 degree list to port or starboard. I used to see a blue one around Eburg and Yakima.

  1845. #1845Truck Shop2019-03-06 07:44

    That's everything East of the Rockies

  1846. #1846Mother Deuce2019-03-06 09:39

    I always open the garage in the morning with a certain trepidation in case the car has evolved into a puddle of rust.

  1847. #1847RZucker2019-03-06 20:41

    The one I drove would make you seasick on corners, The AC worked great in the winter and the heat worked good in the summer. Always seemed to have some stupid little electrical issue.

  1848. #1848td25c2019-03-06 21:09

    Air ride Ford CL 9000 cab . They would sure lean in the corner of the road . Had 4 air bags on the cab . Dang near impossible to keep the limit valves set for a level cab .

  1849. #1849petepilot2019-03-06 23:14

    lots of owners would just close off the cab air ride then they rode like a railcar

  1850. #1850kshansen2019-03-07 06:47

    Seems they shipped you a truck built for the southern hemisphere, was steering wheel on the wrong side too?

  1851. #1851Truck Shop2019-03-07 07:25
  1852. #1852Mother Deuce2019-03-07 10:16

    She’s a leaner!

  1853. #1853Hank R2019-03-07 12:20

    How it is.

  1854. #1854Hank R2019-03-07 15:58

    Beer Hauling in winter. Hayes Cab over 1955

  1855. #1855RZucker2019-03-07 18:13

    Paint that one solid gray and it would look just like the one I drove. Minus the bent bumper. It had a 400 Big cam and a 13 spd. It was offered to me when the lease was up but no thank you. I bought the 9500 for half the pay off on the Ford and kept pulling the same trailer 'til I could buy my 40' two hopper Alloy. Those were the days, 2-3 trips a day on 45 gallons of fuel grossing 6-700 bucks a day with a reliable truck and trailer. Now you have to fight to haul grain for next to free.

  1856. #1856Truck Shop2019-03-07 19:05

    Rule number one-never **** off the shippers or receivers no mater how much you would like to pop their face inside out. Two places in Salines Ca, Union Cold Storage and Bruce Church. Worst docks to bump years back, Bruce Church aka Fresh Express bagged salad. They don't make a load up til you arrive and check in with shipping-time setting averages 12 to 24 hrs. I was loading chip taters up in Mount Vernon one time years back, washed my trailer out at Brown Line. Two semis ahead of me got a ration of crap from the farmer over nothing, then came my turn. I backed up to the belt loader the old farmer and his son got in my trailer and he found a piece of a pallet the size of a tooth pick. He looked at me and said you dumb truck driver you like sticks in your potato chips? I threw my load locks in on the floor and walked to the cab and pulled away from the loader. I walked back and notified them to get the FU(K out OF MY TRAILER and you can shove those taters up your ***, I own this rig and nobody talks to me like that. The next truck was a J.J. Waters he ended up driving off too. Frito Lay ran out of chip taters that night in Vancouver Wa and had to shut the line down-Mr smart *** farmer lost his contract according to dispatch. That old fa!t crossed the line Truck Shop

  1857. #1857RZucker2019-03-07 19:48

    In the winter when grain was slow I would pull belt bottoms hauling spuds, Hauled a lot of chippers out of E-burg down of canyon road from the storages of Tjossem road. The Vancouver haul was pretty good to me. and the Cafeteria at Frito-Lay was one of the best... IMO.

  1858. #1858Tenwheeler2019-03-07 19:53

    I worked at a place that had a few of those 9 story Fords. Never got out of town in one but missed judged moving into a a turn lane once. Hit the hole at the beginning of it with the right front. That was like trying to land the space shuttle while you are sitting in a salt shaker. The MH Mack was about the same deal. The Fords had three A/C units running off one compressor. That did OK when they worked.

  1859. #1859Truck Shop2019-03-07 20:05

    Mouth of canyon area was called Thrall, that tater shed was named Better Taters. Tjossem Rd-you were probably hauling taters for Dodge boys.

  1860. #1860RZucker2019-03-07 20:12

    Yep, sounds right. they had a brother in the Quincy area. He farmed at Adams road and the George/Ephrata highway, part time field man for Twin City foods.

  1861. #1861td25c2019-03-07 20:38

    It was an elaborate design that looked good on paper with the Ford air ride CL cabovers . One customer had one back in the early 1990's . When it all worked it was great . We ended up ditching the air bags & fabricating solid steel cab mounts out of pipe in place of the air bags . The air bags were only available from Ford at the time & cost $ 600.00 a piece . Easy decision for the owner operator .

  1862. #1862Mother Deuce2019-03-08 16:41

    Thrall... home of about the coolest wrecking yard ever on the canyon road. What a time capsule that place was.

  1863. #1863Truck Shop2019-03-08 17:56

    Old black guy named Stan Barnett owned it (Capital Ave Repair & Salvage} was the name. He had a 34 Kenworth 2 ton fuel oil delivery truck hidden in there. Some years later a collector bought it for a bunch of pretty pennies. Stan told me it took him a week to cut a path to it even using a crane. Old Stan, if he liked you it was mandatory to sit and drink a beer with him before any business was conducted. He was a nice guy Stan was. Truck Shop

  1864. #1864RZucker2019-03-08 18:05

    The Forklift dealer that I bought "Stinky" my TCM forklift from is right close to there, too.

  1865. #1865Mother Deuce2019-03-08 18:59

    Out behind that old station toward the canyon

  1866. #1866Mother Deuce2019-03-08 19:02

    One of the taller mountains in the middle of the yard had an old art deco parrot cage on top of it. I had large parrots for years. Probably drove by it 2000 times. Never stopped... probably would have enjoyed that beer.

  1867. #1867Mother Deuce2019-03-08 19:17

    I thought these were in a file somewhere in here.

  1868. #1868Truck Shop2019-03-08 20:34

    The fork lift place is where Better Taters was, and that old station was only open 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays to sell beer to minors when I was in high school. On the opposite/west side of the highway toward the river was a place called the Land of Oz, once a month a kegger there on Friday night. Ellensburg and the Kittitas Valley has eighteen canyons entering the valley, tons of places for high school kids to party and get in trouble. You can see I-82 between the trees in your photo looking towards Badger Pocket. Truck Shop

  1869. #1869Mother Deuce2019-03-10 06:05

    Gamble Lumber AC... seen better days. However with a lot of "want to" and cash she would play again

  1870. #1870Birken Vogt2019-03-10 10:19

    Do you suppose it was hauling that stamp mill cam shaft and they just parked it there and it rotted that way, or somebody piled it on later?

  1871. #1871Mother Deuce2019-03-10 11:21

    Oddly enough there are two of them and they both have a mill cam. The first truck is lettered Gamble Lumber Co. on the front of the cowl. The rear one had no mark I saw. I suspect these probably came out of a sale as this owner has one that seems to be a runner under a cover. I will up load an image of that one. He/she seems pretty serious about their C cabs.

  1872. #1872Mother Deuce2019-03-10 11:35

    This is the "runner"?? It is a really nice truck. I am sorry about the poor image quality. I forgot my neutral density filter at home and a couple of them were really over exposed.

  1873. #1873petepilot2019-03-10 11:41

    wow that first one would take a whole lot of gottawanna to make smoke again.

  1874. #1874Hank R2019-03-10 14:59

    Here are some snap shots from around 1949. Wife's uncle George worked for BC Electric as a diesel mechanic and these are new diesel engine & generator sets being removed at the Vanderhoof Powerhouse. The prime mover is a Big Diamond T model 910 or 930 or 950 army issue????

  1875. #1875Hank R2019-03-10 19:45

    Mother Deuce, I believe these are the same Mack truck you post I took these in Spring of 86 coming back from Parker at a division points race.

  1876. #1876Truck Shop2019-03-10 20:05

    Seem to be the same Macks, Hank where did you take that photo?

  1877. #1877Hank R2019-03-10 21:10

    Not sure that I thought at Brewster Wash. I could be wrong west side of highway 97.

  1878. #1878Mother Deuce2019-03-10 23:53

    They are the same trucks! The one one right does have the Gamble Lumber Co sign on the front.

  1879. #1879Mother Deuce2019-03-11 00:01

    They are located in Brewster still. I googled them yesterday. So they have been there at least 33 years

  1880. #1880kshansen2019-03-11 07:02

    Those old Macks look to be only a very slightly condition than the one we "restored" at the quarry several years ago! I know I have mentioned it before but thought posting a couple pictures here in the part of the thread would tie in with the ones up in New England. Only have two pictures of that one, no "Before's" or "In process" that is a real shame as it would have made an interesting story to detail the project in words and pictures!

  1881. #1881Hank R2019-03-11 11:56

    Mother Deuce where did you take your pictures of the Macks that took in Brewster.

  1882. #1882Mother Deuce2019-03-11 17:44

    They are right where you saw them in 86... I just saw them 26 years later in Brewster and I googled them yesterday and they are still there now.

  1883. #1883Mother Deuce2019-03-11 17:50

    KS I am from Washington those Macks are in Brewster WA. We had a granddaughter make her appearance over here in Massachusetts. We were mining in Colorado and decided that our furniture hadn't been for a ride for awhile. So that is how I came to be, somewhere that I was not...

  1884. #1884Truck Shop2019-03-11 18:53

    Well those would have to be in Brewster, hard to miss that Columbia River river terrain around Chief Joseph Dam. Why I asked where the photo was taken.

  1885. #1885Hank R2019-03-11 20:29

    Used to go down that way several times a year really like that part of Wash from Brewster to Ellensburg and Yakima.

  1886. #1886Old Doug2019-03-11 20:54

    Does any one know far they wold drive trucks like the Macks back in their day. I saw a IH about the same age they had drove it from Iowa to Denver Co twice. I thought the train wouid have been alot cheaper and easyer.

  1887. #1887Mother Deuce2019-03-12 18:08

    View attachment 193806 Another Mack C Cab... I think you probably know this one Truck Shop.

  1888. #1888RZucker2019-03-12 20:40

    I think you could drive one of those chain drive Macks until you needed a kidney transplant… Then it was time to head home.

  1889. #1889Truck Shop2019-03-12 21:40

    Hemorrhoids would get you first Not sure on that one, I'm thinking Cle Elum area because there was so much old stuff around there I lost track of most of it. But mostly old Italians, and Check's and a few that were Polish. Truck Shop

  1890. #1890old-iron-habit2019-03-12 22:13

    I'm in love. Besides the featured Mack I see a log arch behind an old crawler that I can not ID from this picture. I also see a pull grader and a gas Caterpillar in the picture. AH, More adult toys.

  1891. #1891Mother Deuce2019-03-12 22:23

    Across the highway from Zacs east of the Cottage there were (probably still are) 2 brothers that owned that gas station beside and behind is where this truck is. They were polish I believe. I think the station was just one of businesses. I had the impression they were loggers as well this property was heavily posted about 7 ways from Sunday. I did what I could do for images. They have a boatload of really cool iron whoever it belongs to.

  1892. #1892Mother Deuce2019-03-12 22:44

    LOL It is all that and more! It is treasure trove of cool stuff I have a few more images I will put up... unfortunately I have a penchant for always trying to create something a person can frame. Sometimes I am in “art” gear not record it cause it is cool gear. I’ll post what I have of that place.

  1893. #1893Mother Deuce2019-03-13 06:38

    I googled this property this morning before I left. My mind must be getting geographically foggy by about a half mile It is actually just east of the Twin Pines drive in. The trucks appear to still be there, it is still posted they have positioned 3 trailers to block the highway. Some of this may be due to the fact that a small lake mysteriously appeared there LOL. The D8 and the log arch appear to have moved on.

  1894. #1894Truck Shop2019-03-13 07:16

    That's Lumsden's property-2,LTL'S-RDF 405, a Diamond T and so on.

  1895. #1895Mother Deuce2019-03-13 18:42

    That definitely shed some light on it. I thought you might know them.

  1896. #1896Hank R2019-03-15 12:16

    Arch beams 1961 for Super Value store Penticton. These were picked up in New Westminster. Photos were taken at the Skagit Bluffs on the Hope Princeton Highway, the beams were 85 ft. long

  1897. #1897Truck Shop2019-03-15 19:51

    55 convertible.

  1898. #1898Hank R2019-03-16 07:55

    Public Freightways was the trucking company. Notice there were two loads.

  1899. #1899Hank R2019-03-16 07:57

    Unloading beams in Penticton

  1900. #1900Mother Deuce2019-03-16 08:13

    Hmmmm My penchant for all things big, old, rusty and mostly ugly has me lusting after this: https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/hvo/d/shandaken-site-dump-truck/6826132972.html She has all the ear marks of a 3 hour session with the other half about how it was "that" followed you home!

  1901. #1901DMiller2019-03-16 13:09

    Super sized Corn Queen, Eerily similar to the Hendricksons built that era on CQ Cabs.

  1902. #1902kshansen2019-03-16 13:41

    And it's even got a Detroit what more could a guy need?

  1903. #1903RZucker2019-03-16 13:43

    Four more cylinders...

  1904. #1904kshansen2019-03-16 13:48

    That hood looks like it might be long enough for an even dozen! If not get in touch with Truckshop and he can help with the plans!

  1905. #1905RZucker2019-03-16 14:03

    The only thing they lacked was interior room. Drove one like that once watering roads as a kid. Seemed like you scraped your knuckles on the door post when you were steering it and even as a scrawny 140 pounder, I didn't have much room between the steering wheel and the seat. The thing had dual power steering boxes and really only needed a 20" steering wheel. But the 22" wheel seemed to be the standard.

  1906. #1906RZucker2019-03-16 14:12

    If a 12 won't fit, a 500HP 8V-92 would be my next choice.

  1907. #1907petepilot2019-03-16 22:59

    just add a turbo and bigger injectors to to the 318

  1908. #1908RZucker2019-03-16 23:24

    Yep, change the pistons and the cam timing too.

  1909. #1909petepilot2019-03-16 23:27

    not quite as simple as i stated but doable brown tag 90s if i remember correctly. I have two grand sons that work for dd but i doubt if either know anything about the old 2 strokes

  1910. #1910petepilot2019-03-16 23:40

    where would you find an 8v92 that was not worn completly out

  1911. #1911RZucker2019-03-16 23:58

    They are still floating around out there. I could probably find half a dozen pretty easy on a couple of farms.

  1912. #1912petepilot2019-03-17 00:05

    I did see a dirty dozen on craigslist not to far from where i am just a couple days ago did`nt pay to much attn. to it think the price was 1200. add.did not say whether it ran or not

  1913. #1913RZucker2019-03-17 00:30

    Had a 12V71 from a dead genset offered to me about 3 years ago, low hours on a full out of frame... for a whole grand. Silly me, I passed.

  1914. #1914DMiller2019-03-17 08:35

    Decompressed pistons will need to go in, will smoke like a brush pile full of motor oil cold but will clear up after get a little heat in it. 92 is a little broader shouldered but roughly same dimensions as 8V71, 12V is a HOSS!.

  1915. #1915Mother Deuce2019-03-17 08:39

    "Smoke like a brush pile" LOL might be easier to shovel in a 903! )

  1916. #1916DMiller2019-03-17 10:20

    Oh the Horror!! The 90Nuthin, 900 cubic Inches with 3 working cylinders!! Was glad to hear the old CQ did not have a DV550 in it!! MODOT really liked those, saw a few come out in surplus sales, makes my eye twitch thinking of them!!

  1917. #1917RZucker2019-03-17 12:29

    DV550... What a pile. I worked for an outfit that had an ex-Garrett IH Cargostar that we used for a yard goat. What an eyeburner, the "idle on 4 cylinders, run on 8" probably did not help. Knew a guy that had a 1468 Farmall with the 550 V-8, he had his pump redone to run on 8 all the time. It sounded a lot smoother and ran pretty well in the tractor pulls (stock class, no other modifications).

  1918. #1918DMiller2019-03-17 13:44

    First one I dealt with was a harbinger of doom, damn rock hauler bought four more. We did the pump rebuilds to run on eight, also delete on the intake 'Swirl Eliminators', ran about similar to a 1160 CAT and pretty well oil slobbering piles. As they died so too the trucks, hauled off for junk, had the old Corn Queen riveted ring gear 34,000 rears, Hendrickson spring rides, always chasing bushings, broken leaves saw two spin off ring gears in the Front diffs, eat the housings all to hell, all in all not worth what he gave for old Salt Spreaders.

  1919. #1919Hank R2019-03-18 08:37

    Public Freightways White Freightliner with a pup and 2 forklifts Harry Black beside his first Semi

  1920. #1920DMiller2019-03-18 15:27

    That last an old Chevrolet?

  1921. #1921Hank R2019-03-18 19:07

    Thanks, I wonder if the trailer had brakes back then??

  1922. #1922DMiller2019-03-18 19:21

    Worked on ONE back in 1976 that was a Farm truck, had Vacuum brakes, not vac over hydraulic just vacuum. Scary part was they kinda sorta worked. Had been built in '34 for a local truck line, became a farm wagon in the 60's outside Prescott KS, pulled it with a '52 ford two ton which had a Vacuum system to the trailer like air brakes today. Fast forward to Union Electric in 1996 when I started at ESL IL, had a OLD 1978 Ford F550, set up as a tractor, Vacuum over Hydraulic brakes and they used a EERILY similar set up on three small scale temporary transformer and pole trailers. STILL thought was kinda cool but scary same time, it left on salvage sale not long after. Used a large sized Quick Disconnect like a air line in a shop would but backward, male on truck, female on trailer.

  1923. #1923RZucker2019-03-18 20:14

    Yep, I've seen older trailers with Vacuum cans pulling regular slack adjusters. I imagine you need every bit of downshift against a closed throttle to get the best performance from them.

  1924. #1924Old Doug2019-03-18 20:18

    We cleaned up a junkyard that was stocked before WWII. The 30s chevys they used were still there and 2 trailers with vacuum brakes but they didnt use fithwheels they had a setup with a long pin. They wanted him to sell out during the war he got mad and closed up it all sat there until his 80 year old son need some money. We built some vacuum trailer brakes. The trailer axle had hyd brake we use a boster and master off a car. A rod with a spring pushed on the plunger all the time until you put vacuum to the boster then the brakes would work.Like when your car dies and you are trying to stop and you get it restarted.

  1925. #1925Hank R2019-03-18 22:17

    IH # 624 R-series with load of steel pipe June 1959 driver Doug Long. looks like a rainy day.

  1926. #1926DB22019-03-18 22:53

    View attachment 194075 Harry Black beside his first Semi[/QUOTE] Simpson Transfer is still in business in Winnipeg

  1927. #1927Hank R2019-03-18 23:19

    The last 8 or 10 pictures are all of Public Freightways I also wrote a bit of a story about their history do you want me to post it or stay with pictures??

  1928. #1928DMiller2019-03-19 11:48

    Old truck lines stories read good, go ahead and post. Who eventually ended up with Public Freightways?

  1929. #1929Hank R2019-03-19 12:03

    Public Freightways Story Public Freightways is a result of several mergers of small truck lines serving points in British Columbia's Lower Fraser Valley within 100 miles of Vancouver. Public was unique in Canada's motor transport industry. It was employee owned. From a modest beginning, it has expanded gradually to provide scheduled line haul service between most points, covers the Pacific Province with contract or charter service. Jim Vanderspek came to Canada from Holland in 1928, he joined his brother John in Princeton B.C. on August 30. From jobs hauling coal at Princeton, the brothers switched to lumber and then back to coal with their own trucks. This lasted six months until the mine folded. Moving to Vancouver, Jim bought broken beer bottles for resale to stucco manufacturers. Following two months at this, he became one of B.C.'s original "lease operators" driving for Union Transfer on a 75-25 percentage basis. In 1932 he started a butter and egg route, buying the produce from Lower Fraser Valley farmers, selling it to retail outlets in Vancouver. Jim and his wife went to Red Deer Alberta in 1934 on a Christmas holiday and belated honeymoon, to investigate the possibilty of hauling foothills butter, eggs and cheese to the coast market. There was no Canadian route through the Rockies and could not haul through the United States. In the meantime an Interational-Harvester truck ordered for the operation has been delivered. On May 1st, 1934 Vanderspek's Transportation was born. For the next nine years until gasoline and rubber rationing forced the suspension of service, the neatly painted and always attractive trucks maintained usually reliable schedules from Vancouver through the then treacherous Fraser and Thompson River canyons to Kamloops, Vernon and Kelowna. After the war ended, Vanderspek promoted the merging of eight small trucking firms into Public Freightways Limited. Everyone was given equal shares in the new company. Mission City Freight, Winton's Transfer, Chilliwack Cartage, Lake Freightlines (Harry Black Sr.), Cloverdale Freight, Langley Freight, Black Motor Freight, Oliver Transfer, and Vanderspek Transport. On March 1st, 1951 Public Freightways was formed. Expansion-minded Jim Vanderspek is a salesman's, salesman, Gordon Winton seen that service promised was delivered. Where the Dutchman would dream and scheme with the aid of a coffee shop paper napkin. Winton worried over equipment, supervised scheduling and maintance. Dedicating the greatest part of his effort to attaining operational efficiency, Jim Vanderspeck strongly advocated the standardized equipment for Public Freightways fleet. That was quite a challenge when one considers the history of eight different companies and their equipment. Turning point came in 1955 with the formation of the Public Freightways Employees Association. This way the employees became share holders in PFL. Employees were payroll deducted for shares in the company. Vanderspeck got the working capital he needed to trade off his old rigs and invest then in a fleet of 55 new trucks. By 1968 Public had 36 diesel-powered tractors. Thirty were tandems, all but four were Kenworth. All but one were Cummins Diesel powered. All are equipped with Jacobs engine brakes. Gasoline powered tractors numbered 22, all International Harvester. Gasoline powered trucks total 63, five of them GMC the balance International. Most of PFL's 60 Van's bear the Can-Car trademark. 12 have ThermoKing reefers. 35 flatdecks bear the Columbia Trailer emblem. In 1972 Public Freightways and Johnson Terminals became one. Public closed its doors in 1989, due to the down turn in the economy and the small profit margin. The company decided to close while the going was still good. Story by Hank Rabe

  1930. #1930Hank R2019-03-19 14:58

    Here are some of Vandersoecks trucks, from when he got started. Jim Vanderspeck lived 9 houses down from where I live now on the other side of lane. Do not know what make the car is but looked nice.

  1931. #1931Hank R2019-03-19 15:04

    Jim and June Vanderspeck

  1932. #1932DMiller2019-03-19 15:47

    That would be a Buick Hank, 32/34 maybe? Used the flying Naked Woman with a cape as hood ornament through the 30s

  1933. #1933Truck Shop2019-03-19 19:29

    She ain't naked but she is flying.

  1934. #193492U 34062019-03-19 22:35

    @Hank R I love hearing the history of BC's trucking industry. I actually have an old book, given to me from my grandfather, about the pioneer truckers in BC. I believe it was called "Trucking: A History of Trucking in British Columbia" by Andy Craig. If you haven't read it I would highly recommend it.

  1935. #1935Hank R2019-03-19 22:42

    Yes I have a copy and it is a great book. glad you like some of my old pictures. These Vanderspeck pictures come from a antique store in Kelowna they were in a photo album, and sent to me after some one realized they went with my Public pictures and story a very lucky find.

  1936. #1936Cody danos2019-03-19 22:45

    Hank, just a quick question, but weren’t there two challenger dump trucks being rebuilt? I remember reading that some time ago. If I remember correctly they were from sparwood.....??? I may be wrong about that

  1937. #193792U 34062019-03-19 22:46

    I wish I'd have gotten to hear more stories from my grandfather about trucking back in the day. He drove fuel truck in the Okanagan for about 30ish years. He retired about 30 years ago so he would have started driving in the mid to late 50's.

  1938. #1938Hank R2019-03-19 23:02

    Yes you are correct i have some pictures of the two trucks that are now on Vancouver Island at Port Alberni. If I remember correct they had 75 yd coal boxes on these trucks.

  1939. #1939Hank R2019-03-19 23:08

    Federal taken along the Trans Canada Highway west of Hope, BC. The bridge in the background crosses over the Silver Hope River.

  1940. #1940DMiller2019-03-20 07:49

    She might be Green but I appreciate her lines, smooth as silk in appearance and seems to manage the Stick ride pretty well!

  1941. #1941Truck Shop2019-03-20 07:53

    Would everybody please loosen-up and not be so damned serious.

  1942. #1942Truck Shop2019-03-20 08:03

    For those who haven't driven in B.C. the area where Hank lives is a great drive. I use to run over route 3 to Osoyoos sometimes when loading in Brewster. It was a great way to cut the monotony.

  1943. #1943Cody danos2019-03-20 08:14

    Very cool hank. Did they replace the engine and whatnot? I’d love to see any other pictures you have of it

  1944. #1944Hank R2019-03-20 11:20

    Here is a link to Challenger trucks on Page 4 I have posted some. My friend Cam did a history of these trucks and I posted his pictures and story and it was also. HeavyEquipmentForums http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/cam_rizzie_challenger.htm

  1945. #1945Hank R2019-03-20 23:29

    IH # 522 Load of pipe at Rural truck lines terminal, looks like a IH KB in the back ground. These trailers with the front on them what were they call and were they common back in the day?? I just do not remember them.

  1946. #1946DMiller2019-03-21 08:28

    Bulkhead trailer

  1947. #1947Hank R2019-03-21 19:26

    Public Kenworth # 546, Public bought 40 Kenworths with Cummins engines. Public Hayes # 534 July 1959. Public bought the Hayes From Princeton Brewery when it took over the beer hauling. Harry Black Jr. driver

  1948. #1948Hank R2019-03-22 17:19

    Kenworth K-100 #4502

  1949. #1949mowingman2019-03-22 19:29

    Did Hayes Trucks, buy their cabover cabs from Diamond T? They sure look like a cabover Diamond T. Jeff

  1950. #1950Hank R2019-03-22 19:30

    Do not know, but Hayes trucks were built in Vancouver BC. I know in the early 70's they used cabs from Mack

  1951. #1951DMiller2019-03-22 19:34

    Diamonds of that era were significantly more rounded Almost has to be their own.

  1952. #1952mowingman2019-03-22 19:34

    Well, the picture of the Hayes cabover posted above, could easily be a Diamond T cabover of about the same vintage, with just a different nameplate/emblem on the radiator. I see the just posted photo of the early Diamond T, but I remember those flat fronts on some in the early 60's, I think. Of course, that was almost 60 years ago. Jeff

  1953. #1953DMiller2019-03-22 19:40

    If they bought that in 59 would not be a mid 60s vintage unit. later 1959 933C not a match, taller and w/s different.

  1954. #1954Hank R2019-03-22 19:42

    Here is a better picture of the Hayes.

  1955. #1955Hank R2019-03-22 19:47

    I think I have posted the wrong picture. above.

  1956. #1956Hank R2019-03-22 19:55

    A Hayes truck belonging to Public Freightways. Taken in 1959. This truck once belonged to Princeton Brewing Co. Same Public Freightways Hayes different load. Taken in 1959. Truck was bought in 1955

  1957. #1957petepilot2019-03-22 20:06

    the above picture is not a diamond t cab. possibly pre 1960 kenworth

  1958. #1958RZucker2019-03-22 20:16

    The windshields look right to be an early KW, the gasket between the curved part and the flat part looks to be KW.

  1959. #1959RZucker2019-03-22 20:22

    I once drove an early 60's K-100 like the lower pic for about 3 weeks during grain harvest in the late 70's. Had a twin stick 4X4 trans setup with some goofy cable shift for the auxiliary box. A bicycle seat would have barely given you enough room to shift that thing.

  1960. #1960crane operator2019-03-22 20:51

    We're all just kranky because we haven't seen any recent pics of the fabled Mack to be. Shouldn't you be polishing aluminum instead of posting up pictures of your newest girlfriend? While were talking about Macks, this tidy little rig showed up on Craigslist. $2,800. Anyone signing up for a chicago to L.A. run? Bobtailing. I would, but I'm not sure I'd get through the door, and I'd need some fred flinstone floorboards. She'd sure turn short though. https://semo.craigslist.org/hvo/d/fairdealing-1985-mack-cab-over/6839246033.html

  1961. #1961mowingman2019-03-22 20:59

    Ok, it is not a Diamond T. But dang, it sure looks like something else I used to see a lot back in Ohio, and W.Va. Jeff

  1962. #1962Truck Shop2019-03-22 21:36

    That Hayes C.O.E. is one of three Kenworth models that were low production and never sold very well. #'s 848-4R, 849-4R and 850-4R which came out in 1954. I have a photo here some where.

  1963. #1963Hank R2019-03-22 21:41

    1956 Kenworth model 848-4R

  1964. #1964Truck Shop2019-03-22 21:57

    1954 848 -------- So much for that it didn't up load correctly you have to click on the pdf file at the bottom of your browser.

  1965. #1965Truck Shop2019-03-22 22:06

    This Hayes is just a modified version of a K100

  1966. #1966petepilot2019-03-22 22:22

    that picture above sure brings back a lot of memories, that is identical to the first tractor i ever owned except for the fuel tanks. 220 cummins & r96 road ranger, same little 28 in sleeper

  1967. #1967Truck Shop2019-03-22 22:24

    another C.O.E.-T

  1968. #1968petepilot2019-03-22 22:50

    that one is or was for sale up there near you

  1969. #1969Mother Deuce2019-03-23 06:19

    When I think of a Diamond T COE I think of this cab or something very similar. I guess I thought that Mack was in the Diamond T wood pile somewhere.

  1970. #1970DMiller2019-03-23 09:01

    In Tulsa we had a special order K100C for Braden Winch. The driver spec'd it standard sleeper, 250"wb tandem four spring ride, 5&4 on a 400 cummins. Had to 'unplug' the back shifter to raise the cab where if got rambunctious shifting going down the road would pull that lever off and have to try to reseat it. Was also like trying to maneuver a bass boat trailer with a school bus back then.

  1971. #1971farmerlund2019-03-23 10:36

    I love this thread. Good job guys.

  1972. #1972Hank R2019-03-23 10:49

    New IH #309 June 1959

  1973. #1973Mother Deuce2019-03-24 06:39

    The other day we were buzzing by some friends of our's place on a early morning photo mission and spied their new project. It is unique to my experience we just didn't do things like this in the PNW!

  1974. #1974kshansen2019-03-24 10:15

    When I saw that picture it brought memories of one the company had it just like that same color and all. Was used to haul equipment around the northeast. Driver could be one of the grumpiest guys you ever dealt with for some but I always felt it was just a big act. I never had a problem with him! He did tell the story about how the cab latch failed on that old F-model while he was coming to a stop and he ended up looking straight down at the ground. As I recall he climbed out and tipped the cab back down and chained it down with a binder and finished his trip.

  1975. #1975Hank R2019-03-24 14:44

    IH #529 with Austin-Westen grader 1960 driver Al Brown

  1976. #1976DMiller2019-03-24 15:45

    Hot damn more 190s!! First truck driving position was a F series Bulldog from Produce Row STL to the CA Valley and back. First load Kaukauna Club Cheese spread in 3# boxes, Slip Sheet floor load and I had no idea as to that when left with it. Taken to Safeway Foods Los Angeles dist warehouse, would not allow lumpers on the dock so got the duty to palletize the entire load for the forklift operator, 1977. Sleeper cab Maxidyne ten speed F Series, top speed 64 mph. Felt like took a year to drag out then back to STL with mix load in a split bulkhead refer, plums, grapes and peaches up front, lettuce top off with a Tattle Tale in the back. 42' Refer with the unit not a full foot off the back of the cab, great to sleep in, could almost hear traffic going by over it. Have not seen a Austin Western grader in a LONG time.

  1977. #1977Truck Shop2019-03-24 19:06

    Yes DMiller loves those old IH 190's. I run across a fellow a few years back that said he witnessed a guy from Missouri that was just fanatical about the good looks of the IH 190. He liked it so much he put one in next to his bar so he would always be reminded of how good the styling and good looks of the 190 really are. Truck Shop

  1978. #1978DMiller2019-03-24 19:23

    Good looking like a fresh mud dirtclod!! Homely as a one eyed Mule!! Thanks TS!! For thinkin of me!

  1979. #1979Hank R2019-03-24 19:51

    IH Sept 1959, DMiller what size of gas pot would most of the R 190's have??

  1980. #1980mowingman2019-03-24 20:12

    There was an IH here in town like that, but it had a slightly newer looking grill. It was a tandem, and was stored at a long closed oil fuel dealer. It later was apparently sold to a local salvage yard. I think it is still there. Too bad, because I believe it was driven to the salvage yard about 2012, and really in good condition. The guy who owns the yard is sort of a local nut, so I have never gone to see if he still has it out there.

  1981. #1981DMiller2019-03-24 21:01

    Likely RD 450 inline six Red Diamond IHC engine Strong design the DT 466 was cloned off of

  1982. #1982petepilot2019-03-24 21:17

    if you had a big one the rd 501 was it with a 4 barrel teapot on top

  1983. #1983Birken Vogt2019-03-24 21:24

    I have a question about the "olden days". When straight trucks were available with something like a 250 six cylinder. How was that ever economical. They had to be rebuilding them every 50,000 miles and the truck slow as all get-out. I guess the price of rebuilders and truck drivers labor was cheaper. Did they keep spare rebuilt engines and just swap one in?

  1984. #1984petepilot2019-03-24 21:45

    you answered your own question in the bottom lines

  1985. #1985RZucker2019-03-24 21:48

    If that "newer looking" Grill was screen looking, that may have been a "V-190". They had the same look but used a V-8 engine. I know of one nearby that was repowered with a 3208 Cat, not a bad truck for short hops hauling a few bales of hay.

  1986. #1986RZucker2019-03-24 21:49

    I'm betting 25K miles.

  1987. #1987petepilot2019-03-24 22:01

    olden day driver pay. my brother used to drive a kb8 international pulling a 32 ft flatbed hauling hay for 7 CENTS a mile

  1988. #1988Tenwheeler2019-03-24 22:15

    It was probably different ways by different companies. I worked with a man that had ran White Mustangs from coast to coast. We talked about a lot of things but not that. A local mans family owned the IHC tractor dealership since they were McCormick Farmalls. This was probably F series tractors in the 30's. He explained to me that one could be inframe over hauled in a day. " When I was out of school I would go to work with my dad. He would have everything needed and we would show up on the job at daybreak. ( That is the farm ) He had all the tools to do valve guides, cut the seats and grind the valves. ( Hand tools ) He could rebuild an engine in a day. I just helped and cleaned up the parts." He ended by saying don't get me wrong. That was a long day! I have seen tools that could bore the cylinders and turn a bearing journal in the vehicle.

  1989. #1989Birken Vogt2019-03-24 22:35

    That is why I ask questions on here, there is always a great answer like that.

  1990. #1990Theweldor2019-03-24 22:40

    It isn't until the past 10 or 15 years that things have gone somewhat downhill. The electronics on the engines today are not quite durable enough for the service that they see. Yes they have made leaps and bounds in longevity of car engines. It was unheard of to get 300,000 miles out of an engine years ago. It is probably a good thing to try and clean up the exhaust gasses. The trouble with most of it is the OEM's will head on direction for a couple of years and then turn a corner and try something totally different. This creates a learning curve in how they need to be run and throws the mechanics for a loop as to what to fix. Years ago castings for a block were built to last. Today they are built to barely meet the pressures and heat expected of them. Heavens, You could write a novel on how things have changed. It is a gamble today to buy a new truck and expect it to run 500,000 miles with regular maintenance. That does happen yet still. But not much as a few years ago. Technology is a good thing but the OEM's (in my opinion) should have spent a little more time and effort to design an better mouse trap.

  1991. #1991Birken Vogt2019-03-24 22:55

    I think they did it on purpose. The big boys buy these things new and then sell them into the secondary market. The secondary market used to have a lot of good old mechanics with a lot of dirty tricks to keep things running. But now you can count on exponential costs of later maintenance. HPCR injectors, EGR, turbochargers, DPF and bad software, causing cascading failures to multiple systems and not make it economical to repair. Along with very expensive laptops required to work on anything and an ECM that punishes you severely if anything goes wrong. I don't think they thought it up exactly but they saw the dollar signs in letting it be built that way. The whole thing stinks, kind of like computers going to a subscription model, John Deere being the most visible offender. But all the bigs are in on it, years ago they were friendly and helpful to littles like us, now they basically tell us to go pound sand.

  1992. #1992Truck Shop2019-03-25 07:39

    Trucks today are not built to work on and not built to be towed. Packed full of electronic garbage for driver comfort. DD15 water pump-belt operated about the size and looks of one off a car, $950.00 just for starters. And there are none available because parts have been allocated for new trucks only. As with most other parts. This conversation could go for ever. I'm just glad my years are winding down. The consumer has the control called a wallet-People stop buying the garbage things would change. Remember the enemy of good is better.

  1993. #1993DMiller2019-03-25 08:08

    Only saw a limited few RD501s, as I entered the industry the MV 404/446, V and LV 401/478/549(a Very limited few 504). Those had the 4bbl with the fuel bowl suspended over the top of the throats, cannot remember that series Holley number. Rings and burnt valves were the most common fails, I rebuilt the same 478 for a sand plant stockpile dump truck three times but never had to bore the block as was a High Nickel content and would not wear. Last overhaul 1983 it was still within .004 of stock bore and only .002 ring wear ledge at the top. Had a Std Crank journals size too and was a 1961 RD Vstar chassis. Cab finally rusted off it in 1989.

  1994. #1994kshansen2019-03-25 08:28

    I know what you mean. The two things that convinced me 65 years of age was the end of line for my wrench pulling. First would be the attitude of upper management. Second would be all the changes and complexity in the newer machines. That second one when coupled with the upper management opinion that they did not need to train people because if you were a mechanic it was your job to know how to fix the damn equipment! One example of the "intelligence" of upper management. We had a lap top with Cat ET on it as maybe 90+% of our off-road equipment was Cat. I retired in 2015 and this summer I was talking with the guy who more or less took my place as the only mechanic for mobile equipment at the quarry. He mentioned that over three years ago he went to do something with Cat ET and got the message that the subscription had expired. As of this fall it still has not been renewed! Mind you this is NOT a small "mom and pop" company with one or two gravel pits. I'm sure just about everyone on this forum anywhere in the world has heard of the company or one of it's subsidiaries as they are, last I knew, one of the three largest companies of their type in the world.

  1995. #1995Hank R2019-03-25 08:30

    New IH #533 Aug 1959 driver John Paul

  1996. #1996Truck Shop2019-03-25 22:07

    Darn near any trucking company that amounted to much years back always had a swing engine ready to go along with a gear box and drive units. Most shops had a major engine mechanic along with a gear man. But what has eaten into shops having those mechanics on hand is warranty. And the fact factories keep a tight rein on info. According to the dealer salesmen that come by our shop I'm a dinosaur, because I'm only one of two that still rebuild Eaton transmissions regularly. Everything is auto now anyway. For longevity the best large diesel engine in a road truck-12.7 liter Detroit DDEC III or IV. There are countless 12.7's over a million miles with the same head gasket. Second best 3406 B Ser# 3ZJ the last group of mechanical's Third best N14 Mechanical or Electronic. Fourth-The best engine for cowboys and wantabe's-8V-71 Detroit-only requirement keep it on the governor. One hard engine to tear up. This list is strictly my opinion and may vary from others which I'm sure will be viewed with a raised eyebrow. Truck Shop

  1997. #1997Birken Vogt2019-03-25 22:17

    I don't know if I posted this before but here goes. Around here Detroit 2 cycles were viewed as the base engine to come with any model truck. Kind of like a gas engine when gas engines weren't available any more. Cat and Cummins were available upgrades. If the bean counter buyer only was aiming for the cheapest engine that made the HP he was told to buy then it got a 2 cycle. There was not so much nostalgia when we had to actually operate them when there might have been a 4 cycle choice available. The trip would be made with bad thoughts toward the bean counter running through the mind.

  1998. #1998RZucker2019-03-25 22:41

    I was crazy enough to run an 8V-71 in an old GMC 9500 for 290,000 miles, I thrashed that thing all over the PNW from Bellingham to Klamath Falls and as far south as Boise. That old critter made some good money because of the simplicity of the thing.

  1999. #1999petepilot2019-03-26 00:09

    n nothin wrong with an old 8 71 long as you kept oil in it

  2000. #2000petepilot2019-03-26 00:20

    holly teapot 4000 there were other #s for them also

  2001. #2001DMiller2019-03-26 09:30

    As I entered HE and truck service the two stroke was still dominant. Cats were High Dollar high end trucker machines and limited in quantity, Cummins were a Fleet truck fallback cheap and numerous but had their drawbacks as head bolts head gaskets, too easy to slip the fuel to them and scorch pistons or destroy a block as rods came out. Camshafts/followers were a known problem SC and BC into the BCIII series. Old oil throwing designed or engineered oil leak Detroit's were the mainstay, glad to know the eventual DD 4 stroke is even more reliable. 8v71 either 318 or T series 350 and 6L71 series were so plentiful where garage men knew them as well as their own hands. First shops I worked we had gear heads, engine men, chassis mechanics and then service shop people for tires or maintenance work as well our own body shops. Today most shops work with minimal manning, mostly doing minor repairs then shipping large engine work to supplier engine shops or gear work as exchanged assemblies provided by the manufacturers. All too many modern mechanics are not very good, cannot diagnose the least little faults and in the end are glorified parts changers. The early years of trucks and HE were the learning years when shops HAD to fix what was broken as roads were horrible, parts access slow and technicians few, time down most costly and extensive.

  2002. #2002Hank R2019-03-26 15:31

    A truckers Kitchen from the 70's

  2003. #2003kshansen2019-03-26 16:26

    Well where I worked for a time we tried to keep one END707/711 Mack engine, maybe a couple 18 speed Quadraplex transmissions (one st up for push type clutch for the B-81's and one with the Spicer angle spring for the DM800's) and an 8V-71 Detroit for use in IR Drill rigs. We were the company repair shop for most of the quarries in NY and did some work for other states when we had the time. New upper management came in and decided to make themselves look good by keeping costs down and once all the "spares" were gone never touched the cores. Then after a while they found some one to buy up all the cores and made themselves looks smart again! Next step was to get rid of all the "excess" mechanics, I was one of the two that survived that cut.

  2004. #2004DMiller2019-03-26 16:33

    Can relate, will be a Hard Stuck memory when I walked away from the Quarries. They too got that attitude, do not fix unless broken and even then not until used up all the other machines. Then the mergers/buyouts, the sharing of machines, see the crusher pass by here for the Capital Quarries pretty often instead of having multiples they rely on two always in flux or in transport. Loaders sit busted in the hole shops awaiting a transport truck to Cat or Deere, drills are lease units and change like the weather. I do not see how they are making any more money than prior. Last I heard Capital had five mechanics, three on the road and two in house, not gonna get much done that way for eight holes.

  2005. #2005DMiller2019-03-26 16:35

    Have not seen button tuck like that since the last truck show, just nobody doing it anymore at least not around here.

  2006. #2006Truck Shop2019-03-26 19:23

    I sat for 2 1/2 hours today talking with three Freightliner Corporate engineers and two Service Managers. . Going over issues on the latest tractors we have. But this is what is to come this Sept-Crash Avoidance/automatic braking and close traffic indicators plus possibly next year mirror-less trucks using a cameras to keep track of whats behind and on the side. View screens built into the dash. Also a system to drop the air to lower the tractor once it hits highway speed to cut drag.

  2007. #2007RZucker2019-03-26 21:36

    Just what we need, more electronics... Had a guy stop by awhile back and ask me to "look" at his back up camera on a 2016 GMC pickup. I told him to leave it at the shop the next day, and I was going to drive the truck to the GM dealer, have them fix it and he could pick it up the next day and I was going to double the dealer bill. He took it in himself.

  2008. #2008DMiller2019-03-27 07:37

    Way too many gadgets and gizmos making life more comfy in machines. Drivers will be more distracted, way too relaxed and the real accidents will be far worse.

  2009. #2009DMiller2019-03-27 07:47

    I wonder when the autonomous units will start running cross country?

  2010. #2010Mother Deuce2019-03-27 15:10

    Hmmmm... I can think of one outfit that has been seemingly autonomous for years.

  2011. #2011Hank R2019-03-27 15:38

    A lot of companies here have seat fillers. The only place they have not taken over is logging trucks. As one has to be able to chain up.

  2012. #2012DMiller2019-03-27 17:28

    That and heavy haulers as JY, cannot just jump in and haul off, has to be loaded then unloaded and tie downs mode/released. All too many fleet carriers out there are salivating over autonomous trucks, Swift likely in the front row with Schnieder and England. YRC UPS and FedEx also looking to cut staff to add profit lines.

  2013. #2013Truck Shop2019-03-27 20:22

    Well that's the other thing Freightliner is coming out with in the near future-it will steer for you too. Rummer has it England is going to a three bunk sleeper. One trainer and two trainees. While the trainer is sleeping the trainee with one hour more in experience becomes the trainer for the trainee that's lower on the totem pole. The boss/owner showed the brass from Freightliner the Mack i'm building and some of my art work. I got the look of {where did this 47%er come from}

  2014. #2014DMiller2019-03-28 07:22

    You are one of those 'Special Breed' type mechanics TS, Guys like you are very scarce these days.

  2015. #2015Truck Shop2019-03-29 07:38

    Wow! thanks for the compliment. Photos from trip to Zacklift in Cle Elum yesterday. They upgraded the tilt cylinder to 7" . Stopped at Bristol Flats on old road between Ellensburg and Cle Elum. They looked the tow truck over real good and asked a stream of questions.

  2016. #2016Hank R2019-03-29 13:43

    Kenworth #4503 off the road very icy roads.

  2017. #2017Truck Shop2019-03-29 17:14

    It's got a drom on it and SQHD's.old time stuff

  2018. #2018Mother Deuce2019-03-29 17:33

    Truck Shop you, RZ and I have definitely shared a lot of real estate... it is a delight to see the the old HD 21 still sitting there. Your wrecker definitely jazzes up the place some! Is the A Car tanker still leaning on fence and is that tandem Euc still sitting in the field up in front of you on the left? Thanks for posting that Truck Shop ya just made my day!

  2019. #2019Mother Deuce2019-03-29 17:37

    I like to refer to that as "time proven" stuff!

  2020. #2020petepilot2019-03-29 17:58

    t that don`t look good at all

  2021. #2021RZucker2019-03-29 21:32

    Is that your new boom you're adding? Oh I see you did beef up the outrigger spades, looks good.

  2022. #2022Truck Shop2019-03-30 07:31

    No that's a new attachment Zack has built. Zacklift was sold last fall, new owners are adding and making changes. If I do add a boom I will build it myself. H.W. Metals in Portland will form the material and sub-arc it for 5,800. That winch paid for it's self this last winter.

  2023. #2023DMiller2019-03-30 10:13

    Weren't the Dayton axle series SLHD's? Or am I remembering wrong yet again?

  2024. #2024Truck Shop2019-03-30 20:34

    I suppose but I've seen plenty of old L series Fords with SQ's and Minnesota Mags.

  2025. #2025Hank R2019-03-31 22:20

    Before the Port Mann Bridge opened in June 1964 the Trans Canada Highway became part of Highway 99A through Surrey (Whalley). This shot shows two posed Public Freightways trucks on a Sunday morning. Here you see the Freightliner tanker on Royal Ave. and the International van on Highway 1/99A. The bridge in the background is the Pattulla Bridge. Drivers: #181 Morris Venier and #525 Doug Long. Looks to me like someone parked there car in the wrong spot.... for a staged photo..

  2026. #2026DMiller2019-04-01 08:10

    That Bubble Nose a KW or Freight Shaker?

  2027. #2027Truck Shop2019-04-01 18:51

    Freightliner

  2028. #2028RZucker2019-04-01 19:23

    General shape gave it away for me. the cutout steps are a giveaway too.

  2029. #2029Truck Shop2019-04-01 19:51

    And you thought {United Pacific} just manufactured quarter fenders.

  2030. #2030DMiller2019-04-01 19:54

    Was thinking the KW was more squared at the corner under the WS too but was not definite.

  2031. #2031Hank R2019-04-01 23:47

    Public Freightways Kenworth #539 in front of the Grand Forks post office in Grand Forks, BC. The Kenworth is northbound along the old CPR right of way. Galena Mountain in Washington state is in the background. This building is now the Grand Forks City Hall.

  2032. #2032Hank R2019-04-01 23:53

    Public terminal with two KW and two IH trucks taken at Kinnaird (south of Castlegar, BC)

  2033. #2033DMiller2019-04-02 12:57

    Old 50's Pontiac in lower left, another Corn Queen low cab forward far left, looks to be a 60's Merc at the right

  2034. #2034DMiller2019-04-02 13:04

    Trying to figure why a Muffler at the top of the stack???? on that Freight Liner Bubblehead.

  2035. #2035Wytruckwrench2019-04-02 15:56

    Muffler or spark arrestor?

  2036. #2036Mother Deuce2019-04-02 17:04

    Mercury Monterey Power rear window...

  2037. #2037Truck Shop2019-04-02 17:58

    one ugly car

  2038. #2038Hank R2019-04-02 18:12

    Princeton B.C. terminal under construction truck #544 early 1960's

  2039. #2039DMiller2019-04-02 18:26

    Well paved roads those days! Canadians called Pontiac Catalina models something and I for the life of me cannot remember that name. Another in that last photo, old wagon.

  2040. #2040Mother Deuce2019-04-02 19:16

    I would be very happy if I was wheelin' the Red 53!

  2041. #2041RZucker2019-04-02 20:47

    My thought was spark arrestor too.

  2042. #2042RZucker2019-04-02 20:51

    My great uncle and aunt had one of those. Neat, but wierd. You smelled exhaust when the window was down. Not always, but sometimes.

  2043. #2043Truck Shop2019-04-02 21:02

    It was called a Pontiac Alcatraz.

  2044. #2044Truck Shop2019-04-02 21:36

    Merc had to quit making those models because in summer months people were found along side the road passed out. James Sokolove's first lawsuit's

  2045. #2045DMiller2019-04-03 11:55

    Finally found the list my Uncle made for me on the Ponchos. Laurentian(Canadian Catalina), Beaumont, Parisienne(Bonneville style), Strato-Chief. Some even had Chevrolet S/N matching engines rather than Pontiac in Canada.

  2046. #2046Hank R2019-04-03 12:14

    Public had a huge fire in late 70's if I remember right or early 80's ???

  2047. #2047Hank R2019-04-03 18:04

    Public Freightways in B.C. bought 6 International (Unistar) :?, 4 wheel drive trucks. These were to run the Fraser Canyon and the Hope-Princeton. They did not work out at all. Just not enough truck for the # of axles on the trailers they were pulling. 4 trucks crashed and Public lost 3 drivers, and sold the other 2 trucks.

  2048. #2048DMiller2019-04-03 18:16

    That fire would have been a serious set back insurance wise. And that is a Unistar by grill, predecessor to the Transtar line. A Universal Tractor or Uni-Star of IHC

  2049. #2049Truck Shop2019-04-03 21:23

    Now DM why did you hit the like button on the fire photo? lol

  2050. #2050RZucker2019-04-03 21:39

    Didn't Garrett run some 4x4 cabover tractors on Snoqualmie pass in the early 70's? I also have seen an old Freightliner 4x4 cabover that I believe was an old Great Northern RR freight rig. The original paint appeared to be a light blue metallic color. Sadly she went away when scrap prices were up a few years back. Day cab with a 220 and an R-96 10 speed.

  2051. #2051DMiller2019-04-04 09:57

    Cause we don't have a sad button!!! Made my comment below that, just enjoy seeing the old history to remember it even when a bad day.

  2052. #2052DMiller2019-04-04 10:00

    Garrett had pics of those in the SLC office, looked a bit ungainly and top heavy, they already had enough issues with dumping the third trailers getting on I-80 WB there in the early 80s.

  2053. #2053Hank R2019-04-05 08:04

    Going through pictures and found these to in a box from wife's dads things, no idea as to where picture was taken or when. I found out is that it is a 1948 Mercury 3 ton and a 3 or 4 yard box. A fancy truck in its day with chrome grill and headlight rings.

  2054. #2054DMiller2019-04-05 10:38

    Almost Too purty to get dirty.

  2055. #2055Hank R2019-04-05 11:12

    70 years latter still looks good .

  2056. #2056Hank R2019-04-06 08:37
  2057. #2057Tenwheeler2019-04-06 17:40

    Interesting winter front.

  2058. #2058Hank R2019-04-06 17:44

    I am thinking because the way the cab tips up never thought of it before and never seen one in the service position.

  2059. #2059Mother Deuce2019-04-06 18:18

    They did... Conoco's

  2060. #2060DMiller2019-04-06 18:21

    Those old floating Cab CL9000s were known for making drivers sea sick they moved so much!! Would have to gap separation cover with the winter front/cab blanket. Lots of air entry points in that front end.

  2061. #2061Mother Deuce2019-04-06 18:31

    I saw a few things today, a really large doodle bug or a very short 49ish KB 9 (?) plow truck. Also a 30/31 Model AA boom truck. While I couldn't get any closer than about 600 feet, the little boom was interesting

  2062. #2062Old Doug2019-04-06 21:16

    I have a Freightliner that looks alot like this one its a 79. I cant see alot of differents between the years other than the steps.Its like climbing a mountain get in it.

  2063. #2063Hank R2019-04-07 13:34
  2064. #2064Hank R2019-04-08 12:57

    Here is a 1913 Federal that toured around BC. It was here in Princeton and have a picture somewhere of it in our local parade with kids tossing out candy to the kids on the sidewalk.

  2065. #2065Mother Deuce2019-04-08 18:22

    That is very similar to that flatbed I was trying to run down a few pages ago

  2066. #2066Truck Shop2019-04-08 19:24

    This speeded up video trip of Deadman Pass/Cabbage Hill headed west from La Grande Or to Pendleton Or is how I normally drive with the Tow Truck pulling tractor and trailer together.lol They called it Devils but it's Deadman.

  2067. #2067Truck Shop2019-04-08 19:37

    This the way I like to stop too.

  2068. #2068Hank R2019-04-08 19:43

    Truck Shop how many miles did you cover on this video? Sure a difference in weather from one side of the pass to the other.

  2069. #2069DMiller2019-04-08 20:02

    That stirred up a bunch of OLD memories.

  2070. #2070Truck Shop2019-04-08 20:58

    I didn't make that video but who ever did make it left out most of the summit at Meacham. Most of the time about 1/3 the way up Cabbage headed east is where you can run into weather. But North Powder area between Baker City and La Grande can actually be the worst.

  2071. #2071RZucker2019-04-08 21:10

    Been through many an ice storm in the North Powder stretch. Meacham gets sanded well, NP... not so much.

  2072. #2072Truck Shop2019-04-08 21:19

    A long 7% grade dropping into White Bird ID from the White Bird grade. Been down it a few times.

  2073. #2073Mother Deuce2019-04-09 03:45

    LOL! What a lovely way to enjoy the snow in the Blues... whilst shoveling eggs and bacon in prior to heading out the door for work. The only thing missing from that video is about 500 P.I.E. , Garrett, and Consolidated guys! I was impressed by Swift passing Gordon

  2074. #2074Mother Deuce2019-04-09 03:50

    ... and Ladd. It use to seem like when the plow hands left LeGrande they didn't want to waste any sand up Ladd. While I know that isn't true. It has been my view of the situation more than once usually while drifting out of the super toward the guard rail.

  2075. #2075DMiller2019-04-09 07:42

    My first crossing of Grapevine pass, was very close to when the original runoff ramps were removed. Empty F700 Bulldog, riding easy and slow, radio screeches 'Runaway', see a flashing light behind and before can glance to road and back to mirror Cop screams past breakneck speed, longnose Pete comes Screaming past smoke rolling off ALL the duals on flatbed, sparks at the rear of the trailer, at least 70mph, loaded and still two miles to the bottom of the hill, Set of Cop cars right behind him. Get to bottom of hill get off at Wheeler Ridge TS, truck was in the median, cops using fire extinguishers on duals while FD was rolling out, at just before bottom of hill the snail trail of oil where the engine gave up started. Heard later the driver was arrested, truck was destroyed, load was swapped to another truck at end of week. Absolutely EYE Opening. Hated Cabbage pass in winter, was always such a Joy there or going past the gates toward Elk MTN in WY either direction on I-80 in winter not knowing if would close behind you.

  2076. #2076DMiller2019-04-09 18:48

    Swift truck looked to have done a little wiggle where may have been getting loose! Garret and Pig Iron in SLC had a fenced off yard In the FAR reaches of the main yard for those machines that fared badly in the snowy winters!! Redwood Rd and I-80, could almost see the mangled messes from that overpass.

  2077. #2077DMiller2019-04-09 18:55

    I can attest to customizing the seat cushion in my old KW with fresh Buttonholes on Cabbage more than once. Elk in the wind was another pucker factory. IML Eagle Division, Special Commodities group. And the idiots STILL had a few 42 and 45' flats with 15" Bendix with type 20 chambers. I think my partner and I saw most of those.

  2078. #2078RZucker2019-04-09 19:22

    Yep, southbound through Ladd going up was a bad place to find out you needed chains with no warning. BTDT. Empty lowboy no less. Lucky me... found sand on the shoulder.

  2079. #2079RZucker2019-04-09 19:29

    In good weather Cabbage never bothered me going down, I never got in a hurry and used my gears. But I always had one eye on the mirrors. Twice I had idiots blow past me with smoke rolling out from the brakes, they were both close enough to the bottom to roll out with out making a show. Boy they come up on you fast.

  2080. #2080Truck Shop2019-04-09 21:45

    One of our drivers who's been with the company 23.5 years figures he has made over 2,200 trips down Cabbage. The worst thing about Cabbage and most never experience it, At night running into super dense fog.

  2081. #2081DMiller2019-04-10 06:23

    Was lucky in that respect, never encountered the fog on Cabbage. So long as brakes were adjusted and reasonable shoes/drums, did not get lazy or horsey at the top of grade was not so bad, just snow and ice I did NOT enjoy. That trip thru CA in the Bulldog picking up produce was my first event on black ice in one crossing thru Flagstaff AZ. All too many close calls for myself over the years, I doubt have beyond one of my nine lives left anymore.

  2082. #2082Hank R2019-04-10 17:41
  2083. #2083Mother Deuce2019-04-10 18:03

    2070A I ran on of those for a year Slant 6 Cummins and a 13 speed. Was a great truck a little noisy and a squeak on the cramped side.

  2084. #2084kshansen2019-04-10 18:09

    We had one of those as a tractor for pulling stone trailers and small loads on lowboy trailers. The driver loved to go through the gears making all kinds of noise as it ran a straight stack and sure would let you know it! One regret I have is not taking more pictures of the trucks and equipment we had over the years. But back then taking pictures was not as cheap and easy as now days with the digital stuff. Hate to think what it would cost if all the pictures people have on their cell phones were taken on Kodachrome and the delay factor of taking a picture and waiting a week or more to know if you had your thumb over the lens or Joe was picking his nose!

  2085. #2085Wytruckwrench2019-04-10 18:16

    My first twin screw tractor was a 2070A with a 549 V8 and 5x4 in it. I was pretty proud of it!

  2086. #2086Truck Shop2019-04-10 20:05

    A turf farm here in town has a 2070 corn queen with a salt water chevy. They bought it new and still running it.

  2087. #2087kshansen2019-04-10 20:32

    Okay now I have to ask, what the..... is a salt water Chevy? Is it a motor that was originally built for a boat that someone stuck in the 2070?

  2088. #2088crane operator2019-04-10 20:33

    Old mack coming up on auction. Need some more parts Truck Shop? I like the look of the old mack spoke/ dayton style wheels with the little mack hubcaps. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...ction_Trucks-Construction_Dump_Truck-Oklahoma

  2089. #2089RZucker2019-04-10 20:35

    There's about 4 matching 2070's near me, real pretty red trucks with 6-71I's in them. Lots of chrome and aluminum on them. Kinda funny for farm trucks. But they don't see a lot of use. 4 months a year tops.

  2090. #2090crane operator2019-04-10 20:35
  2091. #2091crane operator2019-04-10 20:37

    That's how they refer to a GM/ detroit diesel. The equivilent in boats to a 350 chevy is a detroit diesel, they are in a lot of them.

  2092. #2092kshansen2019-04-10 20:38

    Noting but the best oil filler cap for an old Mack! And have to wonder how many hours on it with the masking tape repair of the intake hose!

  2093. #2093RZucker2019-04-10 20:49
  2094. #2094crane operator2019-04-10 21:00

    Turbo? Turbo? I don't see no steenkin turbo.

  2095. #2095RZucker2019-04-10 21:12

    Oops, you are right.

  2096. #2096Truck Shop2019-04-10 22:13

    Actually I started calling Detroits salt water chevy's years ago. I never heard anyone else ever use that term, I called Detroit's salt water chevy's on this forum and some have repeated it. I have a. name for everything and everyone, there are 60 drivers and three main dispatchers and everyone has a nick name. A few of my favorites-Propeller Head Sr. and Propeller Head Jr. Out Back Steak House, Nazi walker are a few drivers names. Les Schwab Employees-The Tire Nazi's .

  2097. #2097RZucker2019-04-10 22:41

    Which one was the guy I helped you winch out that one night?

  2098. #2098DMiller2019-04-11 07:18

    And you just KNOW that engine is toasted!!

  2099. #2099Truck Shop2019-04-11 07:37

    Lobotomy.

  2100. #2100Hank R2019-04-11 11:36

    The good old days when loading under a shovel.

  2101. #2101Old Doug2019-04-11 20:07

    I was trying to get the cab up on my truck today. The pump has a release screw to let the presser off but it has 2 way cylinders. So it must have power down. There is a rod or button sticking out of each side of the valve do you have to push one in to make it work? I worked on and drove it 20+ years ago but dont remember how it worked and now it probale has a problem because when you pump the handle it raises the cab a 1" up then gos back down its full of oil. I may hook my portapower to it.

  2102. #2102RZucker2019-04-11 21:10

    If it's a Freightliner the reverse shift is automatic. Sounds like you may have leaking piston seals. And unless you know the truck well... always safety chain the cab just before it goes over center. I've seen a crash or two because of bad rod seals.

  2103. #2103Old Doug2019-04-11 21:23

    It is a Freightliner .I may take the hoses off and raise it some other way then secure it. Its has a 6v92 and i want to pull a valve cover before i start it.

  2104. #2104Truck Shop2019-04-11 21:40

    Either a 900 or 1000 series dog I mean Dodge.

  2105. #2105RZucker2019-04-11 22:22

    Hank's post? Pretty sure that's a 900 series. Those were kinda cool in the day. Played with a 900 powered by a 413 once. Cab was a bit cramped, visibility was good, and you gotta love swing out fenders.

  2106. #2106Hank R2019-04-11 23:07
  2107. #2107DMiller2019-04-12 07:24

    Old Dodge cabs were from the early pickup lines, much as the GMs and Fords, Corn Queens were not much better in the Loadstar Fleetstar lines. tight little buggers but did not have to worry of being thrown about in those cabs, could barely get out from behind the wheel!! Being 6'2" with a long torso made for a bad time on bouncy roads, had to remember to remove ballcap to keep from having that damned button beaten into the top of my head hitting the roof. Folding fenders did come in handy.

  2108. #2108DMiller2019-04-12 07:29

    Also seen the windshields deposited to the floor a time or two, usually just before the cylinders or their mounts parted and the cab followed on rebound. Used to be take the cab handle and press one plunger in, if that does not work(pumps wrong way) press the other. The release valve is for when crosses over center either way so can "Ease" down if it even stops. Does this one have the hydraulic latches or still have the flip up cab locks? Watch the latch if hydraulic, if extends then immediately returns then either have a problem in a cylinder or in the pump itself with that release valve section.

  2109. #2109Truck Shop2019-04-12 17:22

    Autocar that's been parked not far from our shop. Cummins, 10spd on Neway air ride-1983 model. Inside actually looks not bad.

  2110. #2110Old Doug2019-04-12 19:23

    L pushed one at a time they wouldnt stay in when i pumped it so i held them in steal didnt work.Its a 79 and has handles to latches it. I will try it agin monday and if it dosent work i will get a fitting for the portapower and use a comeallong to hold it back.

  2111. #2111Old Doug2019-04-12 19:32

    Theres a Dodge 900 1964 On the Fortwayne Indana Craiglist. $ 600.00. Its got a bad windshield.

  2112. #2112RZucker2019-04-12 22:16

    Knew a guy that tilted a newer Pete COE with a super sleeper and dropped the TV through the center of that huge windshield. Whoopsie.

  2113. #2113RZucker2019-04-12 22:18

    If it only had flat steel fenders and a high mount cab with a butterfly hood.

  2114. #2114Mother Deuce2019-04-13 03:59

    I am pretty sure I can find you one of those around here in about 5 minutes... as well as every kind of conceivable vocational Mack and Brockway to go with it. The attached image is a very well kept, bright yellow, tractor of the flat fender butterfly hood variety. The east coast guy's seemed to prefer a look about their vocational trucks that indicated a readiness to storm a hostile beach and take no prisoners!. There are a number of well kept working and working restorations that rattle around here on a daily basis. They are usually pretty easy to spot as they glow in the dark they are so clean... or the sun is reflecting off the driver/owners smile! Sorry about the B&W I don't always have my color camera with me.

  2115. #2115Truck Shop2019-04-13 07:21

    Like this?

  2116. #2116Truck Shop2019-04-13 07:35

    MD that A-car in your photo is a Constructor model, I think a DC-7654 T possibly.

  2117. #2117Mother Deuce2019-04-13 08:09

    I will most likely see it in the next month or two... I will hunt down the pilot and inquire!

  2118. #2118Mother Deuce2019-04-13 08:12

    I know you said you were out of that portrait biz... but if you ever feel like ya got another one in ya...

  2119. #2119DMiller2019-04-13 08:56

    Still love the old Constructor series. 74 A-car I drove long ago was Hard round fender with gull wing hoods. Rough old monster.

  2120. #2120Old Doug2019-04-13 19:23

    I am looking for something and i am serious. I want a 1973-1988 GM c60- c70 with air brakes,Gas engine i would pay more for a tilt hood no automatic and would rather it didnt have a 2 speed. If it was what i wanted it wouldnt have to run. I want a single axle but i would take something else.

  2121. #2121DMiller2019-04-13 20:56

    Was one on facebook marketplace Warrenton Mo air brake tag axle gas

  2122. #2122Hank R2019-04-13 21:27

    Back a few year when trucks were simple to work on.

  2123. #2123Hank R2019-04-13 21:29
  2124. #2124RZucker2019-04-13 21:32

    There is something about those heavy duty east coast trucks that I like. Big Autocars, Macks, etc. 24" rubber on spokes says "I'm tough". Throw in a 12V71 and I'm all over it.

  2125. #2125Truck Shop2019-04-13 21:57

    C500 with torsion bar! Minnesota Mags-No thanks to heavy to handle. They could have at least installed a 8V-71. Any of you fellers other than DM ever rebuild KW torsion, what a job!

  2126. #2126Hank R2019-04-13 22:02

    I thought it was not a C500 but I have been wrong many times already.

  2127. #2127Truck Shop2019-04-13 22:14

    Pretty sure it's a C500, use to work on three C500 dumps just like that one. only difference is the fenders round or flat.

  2128. #2128RZucker2019-04-13 22:28

    I did a torsion rebuild once... A torch, welder, and a lot of drilling. The owner went with a later Hendrickson extended leaf setup.

  2129. #2129Hank R2019-04-13 22:58

    I am sure you more right than me I thought that C 500 were a more squared of fenders. But I never was much of a KW fan back in the day.

  2130. #2130Mother Deuce2019-04-14 05:50

    Those are like the C500 I had in Alaska. Looked a little like a KW brute that shrank while washing.

  2131. #2131Hank R2019-04-14 09:11

    I learned something again, thanks for teaching this old boy a thing or too.

  2132. #2132farmerlund2019-04-14 10:18

    Yep I rebuilt the torsion suspension on a 68 W900 when I was 20-21. Still Have the truck in the shed. Pins, bushings and wood bearings. I think it took me a week. we didn't have very good air tools back than. They did have good traction in snow, but the empty ride wasn't to great. I believe it had the heavy bars. 44,000lb. 46k maybe? Rode good if you were 90,000 gross. I think the orange one is just like the 68 W900 I have. Are the white and black ones C500? Well, It does look to have a shorter hood than mine. The front of the cab is not that far forward on mine. I think it starts behind the front fenders not between them.

  2133. #2133Hank R2019-04-14 15:31
  2134. #2134DMiller2019-04-14 17:15

    My own K100 had torsion ride, was great until bushing got slack and the damned knuckles flipped over on a rocking crossing into a yard. Big H extended leafs were not much prettier, cross beam pipe and bushings wore, end cap beam end bushings wear and got sloppy. How many have actually driven a White Velvet Ride!! That ugly heavy 74 Acar I drove had that lovely suspension system, GAWD Awful ride and a real oddball setup.

  2135. #2135petepilot2019-04-14 18:23

    drove a 7400 jap.frtliner with that mess

  2136. #2136DMiller2019-04-14 18:48

    I concur, A MESS! As had been explained to me, the old A-car was a Glider on a Classic Japanese Freightliner, reportedly a 1970 or 71 that had been wrecked at the White Motor Dealer shop St.Louis MO. Everything about the old truck was shot, built wrong or just awkward when I got employed to run it. Gutless Super 250 was about crap worthless.

  2137. #2137Truck Shop2019-04-14 18:48

    Velvet ride-what a marketing sales scam that was. Walking beam is easy if you use a gas powered cut off saw and just slice through the end beam bushings bolt all. I have removed a set of beams in one hour cutting them out that way. Universal in Marysville Wa was the place to go for a Hendrickson rebush job, complete rebush while you waited.

  2138. #2138Truck Shop2019-04-14 18:51

    Torsion on a tanker/live load was interesting, but it was common on tankers.

  2139. #2139DMiller2019-04-14 19:01

    The number of grease fittings when first saw the KW was indeed interesting, like the entire rear half was equipped Lube fittings and tubes from fittings EVERYWHERE. Just knew was a good setup as greased should last forever, man was I ever WRONG!

  2140. #2140DMiller2019-04-14 19:05

    Were there still any Trailmobile or Fruehauf torsion rides when you got in the business TS? Only ever saw one, Fruehauf and was used for storage at quarry, older mechanic noted Trailmobile also used a set up similar.

  2141. #2141RZucker2019-04-14 19:13

    Torsion was even more fun on a hay truck.

  2142. #2142DMiller2019-04-14 19:15

    Swim a tad?

  2143. #2143DMiller2019-04-14 19:18

    Truckers in the Quarries preferred the old 38 and 42,000 lb. Hendrickson's. Local here still orders the Suspension, I do not know the model, has V mounted rubber block 'Springs' in the center masts, says ride well enough for Dump truck service.

  2144. #2144RZucker2019-04-14 19:21

    I remember seeing a trailer (flat, I think) with torsion bars, don't remember the make.

  2145. #2145Hank R2019-04-14 22:36

    Were torsion bars very common back in the day ???

  2146. #2146RZucker2019-04-14 22:45

    They did seem to be fairly common on Kenworth trucks in the 60's and early 70's.

  2147. #2147petepilot2019-04-14 23:02

    those things were kw`s own invention

  2148. #2148RZucker2019-04-14 23:49

    Yep, other than a few trailers, torsion bars were KW's own domain.

  2149. #2149RZucker2019-04-14 23:50

    Seasick was a better description.

  2150. #2150DMiller2019-04-15 07:35

    GM used Torsion ride on the front of the old 60s 2 ton Vikings, did not last long, then the early 90s came back in the pickup line on the 4x4s. I believe the thought was weight factor as well a ride concern but in all eventuality they were maintenance heavy and a PITA to work on. After rebushing my own(took five days after work hours) took me almost a day to get ride height right adjusting the tension on the bars.

  2151. #2151Hank R2019-04-16 08:49
  2152. #2152Old Doug2019-04-16 18:52

    They used then on pickups in the 1960-61. I was thinking i saw a GMC craker box with them? Its hard to belive that they didnt build a prototyp and drive it around for a while and say this isnt so hot.

  2153. #2153RZucker2019-04-16 19:41

    I drove one of those old 60's GMCs fueling equipment for Dad after school, talk about the ball joint boogaloo if you had to drive it on the road. It finally got sold because no front end parts were available. Had one strong running old V-6 in it. I do remember the hydrovac brakes making you plan stops well in advance. It ended up getting sold to another outfit and I actually got the job of putting the tank and pumps on a later Ford C series cabover with a 3208 Cat and an Allison 643, turned out really nice.

  2154. #2154Hank R2019-04-17 19:12
  2155. #2155Truck Shop2019-04-17 19:16

    I like that Star in the upper photo! Here's another to go with it. That's when Stars were Stars.

  2156. #2156Wytruckwrench2019-04-17 20:44

    I have an ‘85 Star like that. I never have put my log riggin on it yet. If the log haulin market comes up again I will.

  2157. #2157Truck Shop2019-04-17 21:56

    A place I worked at years ago D & M towing had a 1978 Star with a NTA 420, 13sp and two spd Eatons on 48,000 lb Hendrickson extended leaf, with a Holmes 750 and a 301 Zacklift. Here is a nice Star that was used in the movies.

  2158. #2158Hank R2019-04-17 23:12
  2159. #2159Truck Shop2019-04-18 07:22

    And a PeterCar logger.

  2160. #2160Hank R2019-04-19 11:43
  2161. #2161DMiller2019-04-19 13:21

    Fiberglass Paystar 5000, do not see those very often

  2162. #2162RZucker2019-04-19 18:46

    That's quite the haul road... I was on a road like that with overhanging rocks and had a smallish (10 lb.) rock fall on the hood of my service truck. Left quite the dent.

  2163. #2163Mother Deuce2019-04-19 19:35

    Bummer!

  2164. #2164RZucker2019-04-19 19:44

    Have you ever traveled the old Othello/Beverly road that parelled the old Milwaukee RR? this cliffside was just southwest of Royal City. It was well known for dropping rocks in early spring freeze/thaw cycles. I won the lottery that morning.

  2165. #2165Hank R2019-04-19 19:58

    They only hauled off that road 2 or 3 months then upgraded the road 4 ft wider than it was. I never hauled off that road.

  2166. #2166Truck Shop2019-04-19 20:04

    Crab Creek

  2167. #2167DMiller2019-04-19 20:14

    Looked a little closer at the old Paystar, has the Optional T/S guards that on a glass front would tear a hole big as a fist in that fender if caught on anything!! Single fuel tank, all the air supply tanks as driver steps appears 24.5 or 22" Daytons, did not see many of those out west either, somebody hijack a East Coaster? Definite Corn Queen front Differential, can tell by the nose even blurry.

  2168. #2168Hank R2019-04-19 20:30

    That was new truck bought in Penticton and fairly common spec 1 fuel tank as here in the 80's most hauls were 3 to 4 hrs a rounder.

  2169. #2169RZucker2019-04-19 22:16

    You have been there.

  2170. #2170Mother Deuce2019-04-20 07:49

    I have never been over that road. A friend of mine owns or did own a missile site in Royal and I used to go that way.

  2171. #2171RZucker2019-04-20 11:24

    Would that be Bruce M ? That man will buy, sell, or trade anything that doesn't eat.

  2172. #2172Mother Deuce2019-04-20 15:14

    That would be. He and I have been friends for 40 years or so.

  2173. #2173RZucker2019-04-20 15:32

    He is one of the good guys, If you need it he can find it. I remember seeing one of his trucks loaded with Hanford surplus IBM computers, the old school biggies. He supplied the Brown brothers in Royal with some interesting equipment for various projects and I got to modify, repair, or rebuild a bunch of that stuff. He dumped a little S-7 Euclid over there once, I should have bought the little beast for a toy, but I was raising 4 kids at the time.

  2174. #2174Mother Deuce2019-04-20 16:00

    I just talked to him a second ago. They were heading out to a funeral. He is one of the good old boys. He used to drag the most interesting stuff home among them a M8 Greyhound, a LARC, a Gamagoat a grader from the City of Seattle that had the blade removed and was replaced by this flame bar that the used to heat up asphalt with in place (saw it when I was a kid and all manner of odd ball trucks. That old pedal steer 977H that was over there I have spent some time on. He owned the only two Brockways I had ever seen or driven until we moved back here. You are absolutely right... if you needed it and he didn't have it or couldn't get it... it was not obtainable.

  2175. #2175Truck Shop2019-04-20 18:11

    Small world I met Bruce one time years ago.

  2176. #2176Mother Deuce2019-04-21 06:49

    In our part of the world it seems to be!

  2177. #2177Hank R2019-04-22 08:34
  2178. #2178Hank R2019-04-23 11:13

    Not all days are good days.

  2179. #2179Truck Shop2019-04-23 17:22

    Righted a rig in a situation just like the one above carrying a 100' pre-stressed concrete beam at the rest area on top of Rye Grass I-90. The steer car caught the gore area in the turn tipping the drive axles about three feet off the ground. Used two tow trucks to recover it. Belonged to T & T Terry Nelson Trucking Seattle, his son inlaw was the driver. 72 narrow nose Kenworth with a 8V-71 turbo-ed, 5 X 4, most of their rigs were big guns with 3408 or KTA for power. He said it took him 45 minutes to climb Snoqualmie Pass. 45 minutes of a screaming 8V-71 at 2100 rpm.

  2180. #2180DMiller2019-04-23 17:31

    Been there done that but with a screamin 8V92 K100C dragging plate steel up the pass. 5Th too high 4Th loo low so hang in fourth and let her scream.

  2181. #2181Former Wrench2019-04-23 18:26

    For some interesting views, do a search on Heckman Pass near Bella Coola BC and click on images. The photos don't do it justice. I drove in and out of Bella Coola a few years back. The road down to sea level from the high plateau was unique.

  2182. #2182Former Wrench2019-04-23 18:46

    More on Heckman Pass. https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/canada/1049-heckman-pas-canada.html

  2183. #2183Truck Shop2019-04-23 19:40

    For some people driving the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier Park will just about make them wet their pants, Heckman definitely would. A road not many people travel is Highway 36 from Red Bluff, Ca. to Fortuna on the coast. Not many miles but a bunch of time to cross it, right angle turns at the top of hills. The other road that's a dandy is the paved Forest Service road from Joseph, Or to Ox Bow dam on the Snake River, 88 miles long but it takes about three hours. As you come out of a turn you are headed back into a turn. I have traveled both Highway 36 and the road to Ox Bow twice by Goldwings.

  2184. #2184RZucker2019-04-23 19:55

    I went over "Going to the Sun" back in '96 with my Dodge/Cummins dually and a 32' 5th wheel camp trailer. Not too bad as long as the trailer brakes are adjusted properly and you don't let idiots in cars push you. We went over just after it was opened for the year. The kids thought the Anti freeze restrooms at the summit were weird, the Blue flush.

  2185. #2185DMiller2019-04-23 19:57

    Did US 550 at first of June still had snow on shoulders on a 2003 Road King, did Tail of the Dragon same bike as well the Smokey Mountains NP road and Cherohola Skyway from the Park into Tellico. Rides I enjoyed but have no desire to repeat. Getting to Pagosa Spring on that first noted was rough crossing Wolf Creek Pass while snowing, wife was NOT happy on two wheels.

  2186. #2186RZucker2019-04-23 20:02

    I used to run I-90 east over Ryegrass and Snoqualmie with "James" my old GMC 9500 with a bare 318 with no Jakes... Screaming going up, and screaming going down. The guy that bought it off me put a natural 8V92 in it with jakes. I think he had about 370-380 HP?

  2187. #2187Truck Shop2019-04-23 20:07

    I forgot to mention Walter Brennan was from Joseph Ore.

  2188. #2188Mother Deuce2019-04-24 03:57

    Been over 550 and Red Mountain Summit into Silverton many times. Ouray and Silverton are destinations for us. Always in the Dodge. From Ouray up to the Riverside slide snow shed just always has me on the edge of my seat. In the winter, at least the rock fall slows down a little. It's narrow no rails and people are nervous. I followed a guy up in a tanker one day... and it wasn't his first trip. Went up there like he was on a railroad track which requires a little fog line surfing to keep the trailer out of the down hill traffic and there is no real estate outside the fog line. He's a good hand.

  2189. #2189Truck Shop2019-04-24 07:12

    Nice photos!

  2190. #2190DMiller2019-04-24 09:27

    I really enjoyed that ride, the wife not so much!! The boys were putting the South bound lane back in place just before the tunnel south of Ouray, it seemed to have wandered off!!

  2191. #2191Mother Deuce2019-04-24 17:57

    Thanks TS it is my only artistic talent. LOL... capturing light in a box

  2192. #2192Hank R2019-04-25 22:52

    Hauling bridge stringers in day before radio's One truck forward and one reverse Horn signals Good old days.

  2193. #2193Hank R2019-04-25 22:53
  2194. #2194RZucker2019-04-25 23:19

    The '56 Mercury looks pretty heavy duty for it's day. I've seen one '56 Ford with 10 stud wheels and a tandems in original condition. No, it was not for sale.

  2195. #2195DMiller2019-04-26 07:22

    No, it was not for sale Woulda been my next question!!

  2196. #2196Truck Shop2019-04-26 07:40

    I had two 56 Ford pickups in high school don't want anymore of those.

  2197. #2197DMiller2019-04-26 07:42

    I had a '53 F1. Wish had it back as was flathead V8 with a Fordamatic factory.

  2198. #2198RZucker2019-04-26 21:29

    I had a 55, a 56, and a 57. All short boxes and 272 engines. All of them had 3 on the tree transmissions. The '55 was the nicest with only 33,000 original miles, but it was an old dryland wheat farmer truck with dents and normal farm use. The 6 volt electrical system sucked too. The '56 got sold for good money, the '57 was a daily driver for several years going to and from work until some guy at a minimart offered up stupid money for it and a ride home.

  2199. #2199Truck Shop2019-04-26 21:45

    I almost had a 56 big back window short box, a one owner. There was one that ran around Ellensburg that had a 427 side oiler with a top loader 4 speed. It was pretty quick.

  2200. #2200RZucker2019-04-26 21:59

    Knew a guy in Pasco that had a '56 big window with a 392 Hemi and a pushbutton auto. It was built that way in the late 60's.

  2201. #2201Truck Shop2019-04-28 18:24

    Here's a dodge that's fairly good condition. On craigslist Deer Park area Spokane $2600

  2202. #2202petepilot2019-04-28 18:30

    well its got its suitcase packed but don`t look as if its going anywhere

  2203. #2203Mother Deuce2019-04-28 18:49

    988 and been there a long time.

  2204. #2204Truck Shop2019-04-28 21:57

    Elbow Macaroni in the back ground

  2205. #2205DMiller2019-04-29 07:36

    Poor old B has seen better days as has that suspected D6 behind it, maybe an old American off in the woods?

  2206. #2206DMiller2019-04-29 07:37

    Have not seen a Farr Dynacell sitting in line of sight for a LONG time!

  2207. #2207kshansen2019-04-29 07:54

    Yep a good old 87A! I have a service manual if you want to get it running again! If it was a 966 it would bring good money on an Iron Planet auction. I've seen 966's the company I worked for had that looked much worse go for a few thousand.

  2208. #2208DMiller2019-04-29 08:12

    Amazing that old machines are bringing such good money and STILL require major overhaul. Says a LOT of the imperfections in the New crap.

  2209. #2209kshansen2019-04-29 11:04

    I believe there are at least two reasons the 966C's the company sold brought such high prices. First would be they were simple mechanical machines with about the only electrical devices being the starter and charging system. And second I was told the 966C were small enough to be shipped relatively cheap compared to say a 988B size machine.

  2210. #2210Mother Deuce2019-04-29 17:21

    That is the tractor for one of those Viet Nam era military Clark 290 M scrapers the can isn't with it. The crane is a Link Belt of the truck persuasion The engine is missing in action. Completely removed.

  2211. #2211Mother Deuce2019-04-29 17:39

    The afore mentioned pasta delicacy LOL!

  2212. #2212petepilot2019-04-29 18:06

    wonder if the back half of the dodge is still somewhere back in the weeds

  2213. #2213DMiller2019-04-29 18:54

    Them be Ruff!!

  2214. #2214RZucker2019-04-29 19:58

    The Dodge Truck Shop posted? The back half is there... single drive with a tag axle. I'm going to assume there's a 250 Cummins under the hood... and the cab. Drop a 6V-92 in there and lose 3/4 of that doghouse.

  2215. #2215Truck Shop2019-04-29 20:50

    Oh no, not no way not no how, no boat motors in that thar Dodge. Cummins only, it's like putting a chevy in a ford and the like.

  2216. #2216RZucker2019-04-29 21:25

    Bunches of those big old Dodges had 8V-71's. That was the Dodge version of the GMC 9500 short nose.

  2217. #2217Old Doug2019-04-29 21:42

    If you fill that way i will not tell you about the 2 ford trucks that i repower with chevys or the IH truck that i have that i put a 350 in or the Dodge 10 wheel that had its 413 replaced with a 427. I would think hard before replaceing a 392 with a 350 i thought the smallblock would be lost in the IH but the 392 is shorter. I like hotrods but i like originals better but theres a reason why so many fords have chevys in them they fit better.

  2218. #2218Truck Shop2019-04-29 22:06

    Actually I couldn't give a damn what engine is used as long as it fits and not shoe horned in place. But them chevy's have the distributor in the back, I don't know how many fire walls I've seen caved in to accept a Zora Duntoff special.

  2219. #2219Truck Shop2019-04-29 22:09

    Them Detroits were cheap for truck manufactures to purchase also. Plus 8V-71 is 400 lbs lighter than a 855.

  2220. #2220Tugger22019-04-29 22:40

    Linkbelt is my guess

  2221. #2221Birken Vogt2019-04-29 22:42

    Back when Ford heavy trucks were a thing I think I saw more of them with GM motors than anything else. Especially that hateful 8.2. That thing with the blue GM underlined square on the valve cover, it was like a cruel joke from the general to make people hate Ford trucks.

  2222. #2222DMiller2019-04-30 08:57

    Should have caught the cab on the crane on Left side. Besides Northwest Koehring P&H and American who else had the operator station on the 'Wrong' Side, seems the units I ended up working (Sporadically) were always the Right handers.

  2223. #2223Old Doug2019-04-30 18:45

    The distributor on my IH is half way in the cab now they make a setup to put the distributor in the front on chevys. I dont care what engine is in what as long as it runs good and dosent cost alot to keep runing.

  2224. #2224RZucker2019-04-30 22:04

    In 1992? I put a 250HP turbo 3208 Cat in a Ford tandem to replace an 8.2 Detroit. It was a 400 percent improvement. They pulled a 40' dropdeck hauling farm equipment with maybe a 50K gross at times and not very far.

  2225. #2225Birken Vogt2019-04-30 22:49

    People liked to complain about 3208s but compared to an 8.2 or a gas engine like you say, 400% improvement.

  2226. #2226DMiller2019-05-01 07:38

    Fuel Pinchers, more like wallet gutters. Not the best offering made by DD, always wondered if was a GM engine conversion relabeled as a DD.

  2227. #2227kshansen2019-05-01 09:50

    Probably some of the same guys that decided to take a 350 Oldsmobile gas engine and make it run as a diesel! Just because it can be done is not a good reason to do something!

  2228. #2228DMiller2019-05-01 10:44

    If you look close at the original GM 6.2L light diesel and set it next to an old Pontiac big block, the similarities are scary.

  2229. #2229RZucker2019-05-01 11:06

    I must be ready to win the lottery, I've owned 6.2's (3) 6.5's (2) and 8.2 DDs (3) with decent luck... But those were never overloaded or abused. Good maintenance helps. I still work a '98 6.5 K3500 every day. When it hits 300,000 miles I'll start thinking about replacing it.

  2230. #2230Birken Vogt2019-05-01 11:11

    Even if an 8.2 is running right, its complete lack of power and torque makes it miserable to drive up any kind of hill. That is the #1 reason we hated them, #2 was that they had the potential to break expensively and stupidly.

  2231. #2231RZucker2019-05-01 11:17

    Mine were service trucks that weighed less than 22K. I did lose a turbo on one, and a head gasket with an external leak on another. Bars leak to the rescue there, held on for another 30K miles. Believe me, the price was the only selling point.

  2232. #2232DMiller2019-05-01 13:38

    Had a dump truck fleet owner bought Fords with1160s first, then bought a couple 3208s, 8.2 was turbo so thought would have better power man was he wrong. Put 18 ton in a 16 yard body with an 8.2 and a RT6613, all you did ALL day was shift. Bad enough on the 3208Ts he eventually got and then graduated to the Ford 6.6 and 7.8l engines. Guy actually made a little money with those too!! Would run them until warranty was gone then trade.

  2233. #2233old-iron-habit2019-05-01 14:36

    I remember when these came out in the late 70s as a 1/2 ton pickup with a towing rating of zero, towing not recommended. A ranching friend bought one and put his 16 ft. bumper pull cattle trailer behind it. He ran it with his foot to the floor boards and the slush box transmission in 2nd gear when ever he had the trailer on. It scratched out about 55 mph with his foot flat to the floor. Last I remember he had 180,000 miles on it and still using it to haul calves. It was about the only one I know of that held up to any work.

  2234. #2234RZucker2019-05-01 18:11

    Strangely enough, there is a guy here in town that has one that is still running. Overhauled once, he just drives it and doesn't tow or haul anything. Pretty truck, two tone blue and has every option you could get in 1979. Really sounds good too.

  2235. #2235Truck Shop2019-05-01 20:26

    Back in the 80's when I worked for D&M I swapped out 11 Oldsmobubble diesels to gas 350 or 403 engines. Two of the 403's were four bolt. Because so many people were changing over to gas the price of a good used 350 hit 1,000 bucks from Smith Auto Wrecking in Ephrata. But still GM and their 350 Olds diesel, the 6.2, 6.5 and that miserable 8.2 were all piles. Some people had good luck with the 6.5 and some didn't.

  2236. #2236Truck Shop2019-05-01 20:29

    A few years back I saw a vega and a pacer about a mile apart on the highway, moving under their own power. The only thing missing was a olds diesel following them

  2237. #2237colson042019-05-01 21:04

    My Grandpa ran a Chevy Scotsdale 20 with a 6.2L as his farm truck for 10 years or better. He bought it used and abused. Never touched the drivetrain, just brakes and regular oil and filter changes. SM465 transmission. First truck I ever drove, hauling hay out of the fields in the summer. Wasn't going to win any speed races, but it always got the job done. If that body hadn't rusted clean off, my Grandpa would probably still be plugging around in it. Road salt is rough on equipment , especially a farm truck that only got "washed" when it rained.

  2238. #2238terex herder2019-05-01 22:51

    The 8.2 was based off the big block Chevy gas engine, and built in Romulus, MI. The 6.2L was based on the small block Oldsmobile. Sucky as a diesel, but converted back to gas it had a hell for stout block. Batten Heads offered aluminum heads that would bolt on the diesel block for gas conversions. They had some success in the racing world, but Old's racing budget wasn't anywhere near on par with Chevy or Ford. Most blocks were big main journal, so the journals had to be sleeved down and line bored.

  2239. #2239RZucker2019-05-01 23:16

    Pretty much wrong on both counts. The 8.2, no matter how much it sucked was it's own design from DDA. The 6.2 and 6.5 were actually a Detroit Diesel design and had zero to do with the Olds engine. The 5.7L was from the Olds block. That's why it will not take a Chevy pattern transmission.

  2240. #2240petepilot2019-05-01 23:20

    aha got it right

  2241. #2241RZucker2019-05-02 00:00

    Quite a few misconceptions about those engines.

  2242. #2242DMiller2019-05-02 07:15

    I still think GM borrowed the old Pontiac 389/421/455 for the 6.2, Saw one sitting next to a 389, damned similar and in NO WAY a Olds base. The Fuel Pincher was just a boat anchor disguised as a engine by DD.

  2243. #2243DMiller2019-05-02 07:21

    6.2 is 378 cu in, 6.5 is 396, rather curious as to circling the 389.

  2244. #2244Truck Shop2019-05-02 07:56

    Yeah it was mostly that any of those engines were any good. Lets move on to bigger stuff.

  2245. #2245Hank R2019-05-02 08:19

    My old friend found a soft spot on the road.

  2246. #2246DMiller2019-05-02 08:54

    Now we are back on track and Trucks!

  2247. #2247Hank R2019-05-02 11:25

    Real truck with bumpers that on can kick and not bend as well as a fender you can sit on and eat your lunch.

  2248. #2248Truck Shop2019-05-02 22:34

    Here's a dandy with L cab. https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/happy-camp-mack-bhm/6876554635.html

  2249. #2249Mother Deuce2019-05-03 02:43

    Drove one identical to that that was blue over white and had a willams instead of a Jake. I learned in that truck that the fool in hurry could stick quadraplex linkage and you better have a large screwdriver until you learned not to round those shifts off.

  2250. #2250DMiller2019-05-03 07:22

    Quads were no fun when hung up, hard enough to deal with until someone gets frisky trying to slam shift. No Ls here I ever worked but a number of Quadruplex trans sets and loads of the old 5x4/4x4 sets many with cable shift brownies.

  2251. #2251DMiller2019-05-03 07:26

    Those are the typical fuel tanks seen on Bs around here, would love a beast as that, not enough coin to buy then fix or to just get it back here.

  2252. #2252RZucker2019-05-03 19:57

    Why does the interior view show a "B" cab?

  2253. #2253Truck Shop2019-05-03 20:03

    Because they probably have two different B models and mixed the photos up. You are worse than Gayle the other mechanic in our shop, always pointing out oddities . I love it when I catch him missing something. But I was wondering when someone would notice it. I found pictures of a Kenworth for sale and in one photo it had power steering and in another manual steering.

  2254. #2254RZucker2019-05-03 20:13

    It's very tempting to build my service truck on that one... If it was $3K or less… Which is the rarer version, B or L cab?

  2255. #2255Truck Shop2019-05-03 20:28

    I believe it's a toss up on the cab used or ordered when it comes to B73's or B75's. But that truck has to be completely stripped and rebuilt before becoming a service rig .

  2256. #2256petepilot2019-05-03 21:19

    pieceacookie` have you started yet?

  2257. #2257RZucker2019-05-03 22:14

    Yeah, probably out of my budget for now.

  2258. #2258Truck Shop2019-05-03 23:17

    The price isn't that bad for a B73, 75's were Mack powered and 73's were Cummins powered. The good thing about that one is where it's located the body should have minimal rust. The bad part about it is it only has a bill of sale with it no title, In Washington that becomes a major pain in the *** with DOL. Especially coming from California. DOL and state patrol inspectors just won't give clearance for new title unless every person going all the way back has signed a release of interest plus it can be proven that it is not stolen. But you would look good in it RZ.

  2259. #2259DMiller2019-05-04 09:04

    I saw that as well may where would be a deal breaker, NO TITLE, just a bill of sale, wonder how that works out in CA? If one could get a CA title before transport or moving it.

  2260. #2260Birken Vogt2019-05-04 11:20

    I seem to remember it was not real hard to replace a missing title here on some antique, but that has been about 20 years ago and the DMV is undergoing a major shakeup right now. But up until last year their system seemed about the same as 20 years ago so if you want to give it a try better work fast before they screw everything up again.

  2261. #2261crane operator2019-05-04 15:58

    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/hvo/d/granite-city-12v71/6879917519.html 12v71 anyone?

  2262. #2262Old Doug2019-05-04 20:52

    I went to start my cabover today. I hooked a portapower up to the cylinders to raise the cab after alot of work i found one cylinder was stuck and the other was bypassing inside. So i unhooked the stuck one and raised the cab a little with a handyman. I didnt get it up very far. I undid one valve cover to see if the linkage was stuck i couldnt get the cover all the way off but nothing wanted to move. I cant remember but does any thing have to be done to move the linkage? Also the kill cable is rusted up and will no move. I had plans on driveing it home i have been working on it at lunch time its about a mile from work but now i found it will take some time to get the cab up safely so i may tow it home were i could leave the cab up over nite if i had to.If the one cylinder is rust it will need replaceing i wonder what years are the same?

  2263. #2263RZucker2019-05-04 22:50

    Oddball there, if it had Turbos I would say it came out of a Terex 82-50 dozer with the rear mount radiator. The front driveline would have run the hydraulic implement pump and the rear would have gone to the Allison trans input. I'm not sure if all the 82-50's had turbos but the couple I have seen did.

  2264. #2264Mother Deuce2019-05-05 04:35

    It would most likely be easier to establish a sasquatch petting zoo.

  2265. #2265DMiller2019-05-05 08:28

    If the kill cable is pulled and froze in place the rack will be hung at Shut off. Fix the cab lift mechanism where can SAFELY get to the shut down linkages and get the covers off where can tell what's going on.

  2266. #2266DMiller2019-05-05 08:29

    Has to be Terex, drive shaft yokes both ends, would be a screaming noise maker for certain though. All the lime green accessories as the fuel filters a dead giveaway as well.

  2267. #2267DIYDAVE2019-05-05 09:04

    Just saw this pop up, on my youtube feed. As good a way to waste 22 minutes, as any...

  2268. #2268Old Doug2019-05-05 10:25

    Thanks i worked on alot of Detroits years ago and now i cant remember alot of it. I was thinking today about the cylinders when i first got it i ask a guy if he steal had it for parts and he had scraped the cab but saved the frame i will call him monday and see if he steal has the cylinders. Like every thing its turned in to a biger job.

  2269. #2269Truck Shop2019-05-05 16:56

    Every Sunday morning I arrive to see the lineup of things to repair at 5:15 a.m.. And I'm short two rigs this Sunday, but I have four bobtails on the fence also. The rest are satellite based.

  2270. #2270DMiller2019-05-05 17:22

    OK , so where did the drivers hide them!!!

  2271. #2271RZucker2019-05-05 17:31

    Hide them? Or lose them?

  2272. #2272Truck Shop2019-05-05 17:34

    ?

  2273. #2273DMiller2019-05-05 17:35

    The missing Two!!

  2274. #2274Truck Shop2019-05-05 17:37

    Late unload times or probably ran out of hours.

  2275. #2275Truck Shop2019-05-05 19:23

    Instead of only building low cab garbage trucks-Autocar is coming back with a Conventional for 2020.

  2276. #2276petepilot2019-05-05 19:54

    thats a decent lookin truck. little short in in the nose but who`s gonna notice

  2277. #2277Hank R2019-05-05 20:00

    This is what I heard .. So a group of investors under the name GVW bought all the rights to Autocar and the old White Expeditor cabover cab. This is their first conventional and them and Freightliner so far are the only ones who opted to use the new Cummins X12 engine.

  2278. #2278DMiller2019-05-05 20:27

    I like the retro look grill Hopefully they get them right and maintain sales

  2279. #2279Labparamour2019-05-05 20:36

    That grill looks a lot better than what International came up with.

  2280. #2280Truck Shop2019-05-05 21:52

    Cummins X12 1750 torque 500 hp just right for on road/off, could be used in just about any category.

  2281. #2281DMiller2019-05-06 09:07

    Did not know that!

  2282. #2282mowingman2019-05-06 12:28

    Nice looking truck. Hope they do well with it. I have sort of a soft spot for Autocars, having run several back in the 80's.

  2283. #2283Truck Shop2019-05-06 21:45

    Nice Acar above

  2284. #2284petepilot2019-05-06 22:18

    that`s a wow xxx3

  2285. #2285RZucker2019-05-06 22:32

    Sleeper cab even... The drivers back then must have been 5 feet tall.

  2286. #2286petepilot2019-05-06 23:12

    if you were anything over 6.0 you had to crumple a little

  2287. #2287Truck Shop2019-05-07 21:44

    Two large cars.

  2288. #2288DMiller2019-05-08 07:58

    Sweet, now THAT is a Truck to have. And those ARE Large Cars!!

  2289. #2289Truck Shop2019-05-08 19:24

    Some Autocar recovery/winch trucks.

  2290. #2290DMiller2019-05-08 19:30

    All wheel drive and ALL business!

  2291. #2291Truck Shop2019-05-08 22:12

    Notice the 70 plus ton winch hanging under the front of the one in the small photo. I would guess that one at a 100 ton rating or capable of a 100 ton recovery. The blue and yellow Acar has a 1701 Holmes unit rated at 35 ton

  2292. #2292Wytruckwrench2019-05-08 22:49

    I would like to have that 1701 Holmes.

  2293. #2293gtermini2019-05-10 11:36

    At an upcoming auction near PDX. No details listed about the Mack. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/grd/6885690479.html

  2294. #2294Truck Shop2019-05-11 20:15

    Below is my favorite truck from WWII known as the Plywood Wonder.

  2295. #2295RZucker2019-05-11 20:24

    A Skeeter! An amazing aircraft... Fighter, Bomber, and many more jobs it could do. Two Merlins and a pile of plywood...

  2296. #2296Truck Shop2019-05-11 20:32

    Guess this one

  2297. #2297RZucker2019-05-11 20:34

    Experimental B-17. Or the line crews had a wild evening.

  2298. #2298Truck Shop2019-05-11 22:24

    Photo shop

  2299. #2299RZucker2019-05-11 23:58

    Figures that you would cheat...

  2300. #2300Truck Shop2019-05-12 16:26

    Some nice 73's and 5's

  2301. #2301DMiller2019-05-12 16:56

    Sweet!!

  2302. #2302580bruce2019-05-12 19:53

    An LT or a B, You just cant beat that look!

  2303. #2303RZucker2019-05-12 20:09

    The above trucks with the "L" cabs are still "B" models using the unitized B model nose. The LT's used a fender design more like an old Peterbilt or Kenworth. Personally, being 6'1" tall with long legs, I would prefer the L style cab. And no... You just cant beat the look.

  2304. #2304Truck Shop2019-05-13 07:58

    The Lt series above

  2305. #2305DMiller2019-05-13 10:16

    Always had a soft spot for LT and LJ series Bulldogs. The look was to myself perfection.

  2306. #2306525isx2019-05-13 18:40

    definitely like the B model with L cab. I always wondered how mack identified the "B" with L cab ? were they the B77 & 75 only ?

  2307. #2307Truck Shop2019-05-13 19:58

    B73's could also use the L cab, 73's were Cummins powered and 75's were Mack powered. Cummins power were 220's, 250's and 335's. The B cab was standard the L cab was the option. Photo of last B model built in 1966.

  2308. #2308RZucker2019-05-13 21:43

    They should have called them the "BLT".

  2309. #2309RZucker2019-05-13 21:43

    I remember that ad in Wheels of time.

  2310. #2310Truck Shop2019-05-13 22:11

    Hold the Mayo!

  2311. #2311Hank R2019-05-14 22:59

    In 1948 ?? the BC government opened the Hope Princeton highway and lined up the snow removal equipment for a open house.

  2312. #2312Hank R2019-05-15 21:50

    At the open house they had the snowblowers running so that is why the screen in front of blowers.

  2313. #2313Hank R2019-05-15 21:57

    One week after the ribbon cutting and Government PR show there was a early dump of snow 2 ft. Some one took the keys for the graders and plow truck back to Vancouver and the only keys to be found were for the Blowers.

  2314. #2314Old Doug2019-05-16 19:56

    I went and got the cylinders for my cab. One has a bent rod they both had water in them and the rods are all the way out and rusty but they move so maybe i can clean them up and make 2 from 4.

  2315. #2315DMiller2019-05-17 07:48

    Should be able to fill the dead end before install so that has minimal air on that end of the cylinder and will not have to continually refill the reservoir.

  2316. #2316Hank R2019-05-19 12:52
  2317. #2317mowingman2019-05-19 16:50

    Is that an FWD dump truck? It can sure haul a load.

  2318. #2318Hank R2019-05-19 17:07

    Yes it is and Cats arrived by train unloaded and used in the construction of the Hope-Princeton highway. The FWD with the low bed was latter concerted to a tandem with the second axle being chain driven hesrd from several old boys about this but could not find any pictures.

  2319. #2319DMiller2019-05-19 17:48

    Were a lot of rubber band drive tandems in the Midwest around that same time frame.

  2320. #2320RZucker2019-05-19 18:34

    Up here in the NW too. In the early 80's my old GMC 9500 was down for a few days and I had to keep hauling grain, so I borrowed a 1970 Chevy C70 427 with a 5x2 and belt drive tag on Reyco suspension. The thing doubled my fuel bill and was real interesting to back out of the driveway... as soon as the rear axle went up the slope you were done. I learned to back a 40 footer around a 90 degree corner at 15 miles an hour in a hurry. Get a run or you weren't getting out.

  2321. #2321Truck Shop2019-05-19 20:26

    Hall Chevrolet and the fleet of rubber band drive ten wheelers he leased during harvest. You were also done as soon as you hit mud. That 427 had to be a real power storm.

  2322. #2322Hank R2019-05-20 16:46

    A few from 1958.

  2323. #2323Hank R2019-05-20 17:03

    Mack attack.

  2324. #2324Truck Shop2019-05-20 19:24

    Now those are some fine B model Macaroni's.

  2325. #2325RZucker2019-05-20 19:49

    Makes me think "Super Load" lowboy tractor.

  2326. #2326Hank R2019-05-20 22:33
  2327. #2327RZucker2019-05-20 23:56

    Hank, I can't get the pics to focus for me, are those B-81's? or 83's? That's the sort of truck I would like to restore, something about 24" rubber on spokes that makes a badaxx truck.

  2328. #2328Truck Shop2019-05-21 09:23

    Either, or.

  2329. #2329Hank R2019-05-21 11:38

    Have asked a friend for information as to truck size. But those were big trailers 60 ton . Pictures from Vancouver Island.

  2330. #2330Truck Shop2019-05-21 16:21

    The tractor with lowboy is a B87 the Wrecker a B83 and the B81's looked the same.

  2331. #2331RZucker2019-05-21 21:38

    You gotta love the big dogs. I'm seeing a 12V71 in one of those, might even be able to go turbo with a trick I have thought over many a time. Why not use a double set of 6V turbos using 4 exhaust manifolds? Turn one to dump left and one to dump right depending on the truck setup... Steering, etc. It's just an idea I had looking at a Long hood Pete with an NA 12V71 a few years back.

  2332. #2332Truck Shop2019-05-21 22:03

    There just isn't that much room because the B cab firewall isn't flat. The B73 barely accommodates the 335. The fan is right up to the radiator and the fuel lines are 1/2" off the fire wall. Where is that rear drive air compressor going to live? Now mine with 16" added a 12V would fit. Don't get any ideas .

  2333. #2333RZucker2019-05-21 22:15

    Just a thought buddy. I do think the turbo setup would work.

  2334. #2334Truck Shop2019-05-21 22:19

    Oh I think that Turbo idea is a great one, make it howl.

  2335. #2335RZucker2019-05-21 22:43

    Well, a set of 6" pipes with baffles would make a nice growl.

  2336. #2336Hank R2019-05-21 22:54

    Two different trucks same company Apex Industrial movers??

  2337. #2337RZucker2019-05-22 00:02

    The DM series made a good looking truck too. I guess I like flat fenders and butterfly hoods.

  2338. #2338DMiller2019-05-22 08:04

    Me too!

  2339. #2339kshansen2019-05-22 08:31

    Yes and access to engine was good with fenders flipped up. Problem we had is hardly anyone was smart enough to notice the grease fittings on the front of the fenders. Then when you needed to work on engine they would be rusted solid. Last I knew there was a brand new left fender sitting in the store room at the quarry along with a couple of the chrome strips for the hinge.

  2340. #2340DMiller2019-05-22 14:21

    Cannot EVER remember the old DM dump and Mixer trucks being able to fold fenders up without a gas axe and a lot of cussin. Would get them freed up and as noted the guys would just ignore that pair of lube fittings in all the quarry dust and there we are again. At least they were smart enough to paint them Black, did not show the burn and hammer marks so badly.

  2341. #2341Hank R2019-05-22 18:27

    Small Mack behind a HDX Hayes.

  2342. #2342kshansen2019-05-22 19:12

    Well you never worked on one that I took care of as they would flip up nice and easy! I also made it a point to install bolts at the rear of fender that were just barely flush with the nuts. That way you didn't have to fight to get them off over half an inch of mud crusted rusty bolt, Oh and all fasteners got a good coat of anti-seize. One of my mottoes was "Do the job to make it easy on the next guy, `cause you just might be that next guy!" People over looking simple grease point like those, the steering Ujoints and slip joint are one of the reasons I tried my best to talk management into letting me do the greasing. And if I did not win that one at least when they came in for service those points would get hit every-time.

  2343. #2343Tugger22019-05-22 21:16

    Looks like a Saunders HDX pulling the Mack . Roy Saunders used to be the biggest log hauler in the province, probably the country back in the day.

  2344. #2344Hank R2019-05-22 21:42

    Your Right on Saunders here is a link to my Saunders pictures. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2345. #2345old-iron-habit2019-05-22 21:52

    I like your moto. Another I like is "Any job, big or small, do it right or not at all." Unfortunately although I would have liked to, that was not the case on every thing I ever fixed or attempted to.

  2346. #2346crane operator2019-05-22 22:55

    Saw the old autocar scrapper truck today at the stoplight in town. He's removed the old dump bed, and was hauling around a oxygen bottle strapped to the frame rails.

  2347. #2347Birken Vogt2019-05-22 23:00

    Once in a while it is OK to haywire something together knowing that it will be going to the scrap pile soon anyway. Or as I like to say, you want the engine to toss a rod, transmission to go out, springs to break, door to fall off and tires to be worn bald all on the same day, that way you know you got your money's worth.

  2348. #2348old-iron-habit2019-05-22 23:13

    In 2006 a vice grip and a cable tie holding it up got me all the way home from Colorado after a front brake line wore through driving in snow on my brand new F-350. Broke at 1100 miles. No brake parts were available at the dealers yet. A year later when the other side did the same thing the warranted replacement had a built in center clip holding it away from the tire. I had already put a zip tie on the drivers side that is still there. 220,000 now.

  2349. #2349Mother Deuce2019-05-23 03:45

    You guy's have confused 12 bees in a empty beer can for a truck engine... shovel a 3408 in there and trot out the 6's!

  2350. #2350Truck Shop2019-05-23 07:50

    Good one MD. A 3408 on straight stacks has a sound like no other. The 12V is the same under load at 2000 rpm. The rest of the Detroits just sound real tinny to me except for the 12V92.

  2351. #2351DMiller2019-05-23 09:27

    I could only do heavy maintenance as a Contractor, the Quarries I worked had low pay grunts for the lube men and most could barely find a grease fitting staring at them. I slipped in what I could as to maintenance just to keep from becoming a full time employee. I still prefer the 1693 Cats, no other engine sounded like them or worked as hard as them and weighed as heavy!!

  2352. #2352old-iron-habit2019-05-23 20:17

    Your dash looks like mine except you are missing the vise grip.

  2353. #2353crane operator2019-05-23 21:08

    The only reason for no vise grip on the dash, is that I wear carpenter pants with my 5wr in the plier pocket. Between it and my old leatherman in my pants pocket, and a mini mag lite on my belt to see with, I kind of carry the only tools I'm really qualified to work with. I gave one of the employee's the extended cab dodge to drive, and I went back to a regular cab pickup, it forces me to haul less junk around, I only have the dash and the passenger seat now. Looks like I have a windshield wiper to replace also. I'd be in a bigger hurry to replace the wiper, but the connector arm fell off it yesterday, so that side doesn't work anyways.

  2354. #2354Truck Shop2019-05-23 22:03

    What I want to know is were you heading to get your Psychic reading for five bucks at the car wash?

  2355. #2355crane operator2019-05-23 22:55

    Hmm. "I think I see a dirty car in your future, that will be $5 please. I can offer a 20% discount on the car wash..." I've got a even better idea Truck Shop. If you send me $5, I'll send you your own psychic reading.

  2356. #2356Mother Deuce2019-05-24 03:48

    Love the 1693's too. With the giant sized one piece head keep a wary eye on the pyrometer and water temp. It is the only turbo note I can think of that precedes the truck it is in by 500 feet. They had the oddest trait of seemingly fueling themselves on an extended pull. It seemed if you just left your foot in the sweet spot (not the floor) it would just keep pulling harder!

  2357. #2357Truck Shop2019-05-24 07:40

    Your a little late I just got my psychic reading last week for only a buck ninety five and I got yours while I was at it. Yours said this crane was in your future and you wouldn't need to transport it you can just reach across the state to get the job done. .

  2358. #2358DMiller2019-05-24 07:46

    Now THAT is a BIG puppy!! Would not care to be oiler on that one.

  2359. #2359JPV2019-05-24 08:30

    Lampson yard in Pasco, I have been up close to that one. It pretty much dominates the skyline!

  2360. #2360Truck Shop2019-05-24 19:07

    I have walked all around that tinker toy, the tracks are over seven feet high.

  2361. #2361Truck Shop2019-05-24 19:12

    Plus Lampson builds their own moving equipment, some of their old stuff.

  2362. #2362RZucker2019-05-24 19:22

    You left out the F-210 IH.

  2363. #2363Truck Shop2019-05-24 19:25

    No I didn't . It has Dave Millers favorite cab and style.

  2364. #2364DMiller2019-05-24 20:25

    Poor ol neglected Corn Queen! LOTS of old Crane houses EVERYWHERE!

  2365. #2365Truck Shop2019-05-24 20:42

    Those photos don't even show a thousandth of what is in that yard, there is just stuff laying everywhere. Cranes and more cranes, roll after roll of tracks and under carriage. Shiv's the size of a truck tire laying tilted on each other and large wire rope til hell wouldn't have it. There is also some old train stuff and a Kenworth aluminum bus that is only one of two I think left on the planet.

  2366. #2366Cody danos2019-05-24 20:44

    Do know if lampson still has the big Hendrickson 360 trucks?

  2367. #2367Truck Shop2019-05-24 20:45

    Old Kenworth Bus and train stuff in Lampson yard.

  2368. #2368DMiller2019-05-24 20:55

    DAMN!!

  2369. #2369Truck Shop2019-05-24 20:56

    Notice the names of towns on the Kenworth bus below. I could barely make the same names on the one loaded on the flat car. Who knows it might be the same bus 80 years apart. Powered by a pancake Cummins.

  2370. #2370RZucker2019-05-24 20:58

    My brother worked for Lampson in the 80's as a machinist in the Kennewick shop turning out Transi Lift components, He still knows a few guys there and we toured the yard in 2009 or so. I actually sat in the drivers seat of that old IH, somewhere around there is a huge old KW with a 12V71 and planetary rears that was one of their heavy prime movers. They also have an old 25K 992 loader painted blue that was used to build approach ramps for all sorts of heavy moves. In 1988 I watched them move huge generator rotors to the Priest Rapids Dam on the Columbia river using 2 of those crawler units they built in house. Slow and smooth.

  2371. #2371Truck Shop2019-05-24 21:07

    Several of us could spend hours touring that place. There are nuts and bolts laying on the ground that would give Andrea The Giant hemorrhoids just thinking about picking one up.

  2372. #2372Truck Shop2019-05-24 22:07

    Fun time is over for me, I got to run to the Dalles.

  2373. #2373Mother Deuce2019-05-25 03:34

    Thats a project worth doing! 100/ 125 grand might do it. Cool piece! Wenatchee, Eburg and Yaki Flats you can kind of get your head around... seems like a logical route and now were heading to P.A. LOL! Heres another formerly dead player resurrected in the late 80's early 90's and is also about the only survivor.

  2374. #2374Mother Deuce2019-05-25 03:35

    One more...

  2375. #2375Hank R2019-05-25 15:24

    Poor highway trucks hauling off highway loads.

  2376. #2376RZucker2019-05-25 21:51

    How was the trip? "Lobotomy" get hung up again?

  2377. #2377Truck Shop2019-05-25 22:10

    I had to go past Hood River, left at 8:30 after hooking one up. Got back at 4:40 walked the yard and checked mileage and hours lined out the shop and went home to ZZZZZ. Came back at 9:30 and found the tractor I went after had a split nylon coolant line to the DEF tank. I left as the sun was going down and got back as sun was coming up. 392 miles round trip.

  2378. #2378crane operator2019-05-26 07:42

    https://kansascity.craigslist.org/hvo/d/de-soto-hendrickson/6881053909.html Hendrickson, just the cab and front axle, frame is cut right behind cab. $3,500.

  2379. #2379crane operator2019-05-26 07:43
  2380. #2380crane operator2019-05-26 07:48

    As long as you come along to do the bridle and hoist cable inspections, I'll run the thing. Looks like its got about 8 winches on it, but that pennant cable set up 300' up there is the one I'm going to need for you to inspect. Its only daily inspections.

  2381. #2381DMiller2019-05-26 08:18

    RZ, the Big H is a bit pricey even as a intact cab, the lack of the remainder of truck discounts that back pretty hard!!

  2382. #2382Old Doug2019-05-26 13:11

    If i wanted it i would offer scrap price and leave my number.

  2383. #2383Truck Shop2019-05-26 13:23

    Your younger than me, so up the cat walk you go. That job of inspecting will keep you fit as a fiddle .

  2384. #2384Truck Shop2019-05-26 13:27

    The only thing of value is the hood and fenders on that Hendrikson. The rest is all IH Rd 405 anyway. But miller admires that cab style.

  2385. #2385RZucker2019-05-26 13:51

    The main hoist block has a handrail. Push the "P for penthouse" button to get to the top.

  2386. #2386RZucker2019-05-26 13:52

    I bet that was a sharp looking truck in it's day.

  2387. #2387Truck Shop2019-05-26 19:35

    Drove the Z to get some photos today.

  2388. #2388Truck Shop2019-05-26 19:39

    And----------MISTER ED!

  2389. #2389Truck Shop2019-05-26 19:46

    Crane operator he's a smooooooooooooooooth operator.

  2390. #2390Truck Shop2019-05-26 19:51

    That's a 4 x 4 laying on the ground by those clevises in one of the above photos

  2391. #2391Truck Shop2019-05-26 19:55

    And a bunch of flat cars loaded with wind turbine parts and pieces that go on top of tower and attachments for the propsters .

  2392. #2392Old Doug2019-05-26 20:26

    Its hard to beleave one company can put so much together and i have truble will one truck.

  2393. #2393RZucker2019-05-26 23:30

    Mike, you should have let me know you were heading that way. I wasn't doing that much in the rain today.

  2394. #2394Truck Shop2019-05-27 07:52

    It wasn't raining but started after I got home. I didn't know I was heading that way until I turned the ignition switch.

  2395. #2395DMiller2019-05-27 08:05

    The old Hough with the Cummins rekindled some nightmares!!

  2396. #2396petepilot2019-05-27 08:08

    was that an early 903 with aftercoolers

  2397. #2397kshansen2019-05-27 09:39

    Not a 903 that's a 1710 the loader is a Hough 400 and despite having the manifold boxes for the aftercoolers I don't see any water lines connected. Worked on few of the Hough's and a few of the 1710's over the years. One of the 1710's had a four cylinder Wisconsin for a starting engine that cranked the diesel through a belt drive that mounted where a electric starter would normally mount. That engine was in a Bucyrus Erie Dragline in a gravel bed near Horseheads NY. Dragline would scoop the gravel out of the pond and stack on the banks then after it drained out the water a 988 Cat would load it in to Mack truck to haul to screening and crushing plant for the Ready-Mix Concrete plant.

  2398. #2398DMiller2019-05-27 09:45

    NO, V 1710. GAWD Awful head gasket popping V12. Only saw two of these EVER, and never wanted to after they got rid of them. Either 400 or 500 series Hough. Climb to get to the engine climb up and down all the time working on them, was NOT good. Cold start smoked like were coal fired.

  2399. #2399DMiller2019-05-27 09:57

    Beat me to it and did not see yours til mine posted. Did you have good luck with the ones you worked, we had nothing but grief.

  2400. #2400Truck Shop2019-05-27 10:21

    I knew that Hough would start some discussion!

  2401. #2401580bruce2019-05-27 11:40

    Always wanted to go out there!

  2402. #2402kshansen2019-05-27 12:04

    Guess I would say no worse than any other of the various engines. One of our plants had an H400 like the one in the picture, but without the big hitch set up on the back. Forget who diagnosed the "problem" but Norm and I got the fun job of replacing all four heads on the 1710 one night after they used it for a full day and we had to have it ready to run for the 7:00 am shift the next day! About the biggest problem was when we started doing the valve an injector settings. Something did not seem right and then we remembered that for some reason Cummins decided that the right and left banks of the engine were determined by standing at the timing gear end of the block NOT THE FLYWHEEL end. After that the tune-up worked much better! Another 1710 we had was in a genset. Believe it was a stand by genset from a hospital or some such application. Boss got a hell of a deal on it second hand knowing it had a problem with a cam bearing at very low hours. It was obvious as the paint on the outside of the block looked burnt right near the cam bearing. Stripped the block and had a machine shop bore and sleeve the cam bearing boss back to standard and replaced the cam on that bank. Hard to say why it had failed but with the low hours always assumed it was an assembly problem, maybe put in and partially blocked off oil port? Forget the hose power of that one but know it was very low as it was a non-turbo engine and also low compression engine for a diesel. It must have been designed to have preheaters running all the time for emergency start-up applications as if it was even a little chilly the night before it needed a sniff of either to get it to light off good. If someone just cranked it hoping to get it fired up then gave it a shot of either it would pop the flex pipes off the manifold when it did start. When we first got it together we had the Cat dealer, who had a large load bank trailer, come out and load test it and it had no trouble making full load rating of the generator. Just always thought it was wrong engine and genset for the application. Don't recall if they ever let us install the propane fired block heaters we tried talking them into, problem with gensets for a quarry is they are often expected to run where there is no power to power electric block heaters.

  2403. #2403RZucker2019-05-27 16:11

    Yup, I wonder where the 992 is right now?

  2404. #2404RZucker2019-05-27 16:13

    That's what we did today... turn the key and go. Flip a coin at crossroads. Saw some nice country.

  2405. #2405Truck Shop2019-05-27 18:13

    Well I did the same today also.

  2406. #2406DMiller2019-05-27 20:07

    Quiet day here A little mowing a little grilling Roads here are a little hosed up at the moment with flood on so limited on where can run the bike

  2407. #2407Old Doug2019-05-27 20:58

    Did you ever run a Hough that had the wishbone?

  2408. #2408Truck Shop2019-05-27 21:35

    Only 966 and 988

  2409. #2409kshansen2019-05-28 11:49

    Wishbone? I'm having a bad headache day today so can't think what the wishbone is? Had a few loaders I wish I never had to deal with at times!

  2410. #2410DMiller2019-05-28 12:39

    My headache was loader Operators.

  2411. #2411Truck Shop2019-05-28 12:56

    Wishbone was the cook on Raw Hide

  2412. #2412Truck Shop2019-05-28 19:50

    One thing about Lampson Crane's--"MR. ED" big mover you guys didn't notice. I was waiting for someone to jump on it. Other than a Kenworth late model cab {It's built by Lampson} Notice the front hub.

  2413. #2413RZucker2019-05-28 20:05

    I saw the late model cowl and the one piece windshield, but the hub didn't register. It was strange that it didn't have 6 spokes with double clamps like "LANA" had. Now I think I know why the old small cab KW has disappeared...

  2414. #2414Truck Shop2019-05-28 20:31

    The frame and suspension on MR ED looks to be recently built not redone. I think this rig was from scratch possibly or sort of. But I have to red tag MR ED, one wheel nut does not have full thread

  2415. #2415Old Doug2019-05-28 20:33

    The bucket cylinder was mounted between the front of the loader and a wishbone between the loader arms. The bucket could roll over and the best way was to hook the bucket edge on some thing and back up other wise you could tear something up trying to get it back.I put a 855 400 in a 190 Hough to resale. I told the first guy about it and before i could stop him he blow i hose. Next guy to try it out i told him about it and gave a little demo on how to wright it if it happen he pulled the clevice off the cylinder.

  2416. #2416RZucker2019-05-28 20:33

    I agree with that, did it have planetaries?

  2417. #2417Truck Shop2019-05-28 20:45

    You would ask that, I was about to check the drives out when the security {gourd} showed up and I forgot to look after shooting the breeze with him. But the rear suspension was a Big Six/Camel Back style. Now about that red tag!

  2418. #2418dieseldog5.92019-05-28 22:52

    Not to mention no front brakes

  2419. #2419RZucker2019-05-28 23:42

    I think if you have 40 to 80 brake drums behind you, that's not a big issue.

  2420. #2420crane operator2019-05-29 22:58

    1977 kenworth. 3406 cat and 13 speed. A little switch on the dash says brakesaver too. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/190530/item/FH9392/1977-Kenworth-Trucks-Truck_Tractor-Oklahoma What kind of suspension is under it? Some kind of rubber bushed torque tube - that you "clock" at the rear there setting the alignment? I haven't seen that suspension before. Of course you can add it to the huge list of things I haven't seen before, but I'm always up for learning something.

  2421. #2421RZucker2019-05-29 23:01

    Oh, boy. Kenworth torsion bar suspension. Haven't seen that in a long time.

  2422. #2422crane operator2019-05-29 23:07

    So is the end piece for alignment? and how does it work? And guessing from the thick looking frame, probably aluminum frame?

  2423. #2423crane operator2019-05-29 23:21

    Thanks for the identifier Rzucker, I just spent a while reading on them. I found a better picture without frame rails in the way. Looks like they would be a joy to keep greased and replace bushings on when they got bad.

  2424. #2424RZucker2019-05-29 23:37

    That end piece is for ride height adjustment. Those were not a lot of fun to drive with tall loads or tankers on the chassis.

  2425. #2425crane operator2019-05-29 23:45

    I could see that, with the way that works, side to side sway would really be something on road. Bet it would be tippy also on a dump on a sidehill, compared with walking beam, or spring over beam or camelback.

  2426. #2426Mother Deuce2019-05-30 00:22

    I had a new one. There was a “heavy duty” version apparently. The company I was working for bought it as lowboy tractor. It never broke in the time I had it, but you had to be very judicious about entering a corner. The torsion bars didn’t have enough “hair” to return level while exiting a turn or highway sweeper. This was done, with like a 22 ton Grove on board by counter steering into which ever way it was leaning as much as you had to, to get back to a level ride condition after exiting the corner. This was most pronounced with the lowboy. With the flatbed this issue was not as evident.

  2427. #2427RZucker2019-05-30 00:23

    Back in the days when I was dumb enough to hand load hay trucks, I drove an old K100 with torsion bars for a few loads, had a 24' deck on the truck with a 32' pull. We did the old "7 tiers on edge with a double Ellensburg tie" (you had to be a hay hauler) that truck was almost scary, if the curve said "50 mph" you took it at 40 and the top of the load was still in the other lane. It was also good for inducing seasickness.

  2428. #2428RZucker2019-05-30 00:26

    Did it have centerpoint steer too?

  2429. #2429Mother Deuce2019-05-30 00:33

    It had a like a 18000 pound front and duplex’s so I was blessed with power steering.

  2430. #2430RZucker2019-05-30 00:35

    The old K100 had center point, boy that added to the wiggle and wobble.

  2431. #2431petepilot2019-05-30 00:43

    nice lookin old a model but its got 4 strikes against it, alum frame, rat nest susp, a model cat & likely no power steering

  2432. #2432Mother Deuce2019-05-30 00:43

    They would sure keep your attention I came into Yakima one morning with a 35 ton P&H and thought we were all going in the freakin’ river. It is no wonder my hair is white. I can not even imagine trying to run a tub or demo trailer with it!

  2433. #2433Mother Deuce2019-05-30 00:47

    However it is cool looking and would make a great light duty ride like driving down to watch a football game and throw a few darts.

  2434. #2434petepilot2019-05-30 00:52

    in my younger days i had a k100 with torsion susp & and a 318 detroit ,all but broke me

  2435. #2435RZucker2019-05-30 01:05

    The one I mentioned had the 318 plus a 4x4 trans with some goofy cable shift for the aux. You had to be verrwy careful shifting that one.

  2436. #2436petepilot2019-05-30 01:17

    of all the kws i`ve either owned or driven this was my favorite

  2437. #2437petepilot2019-05-30 01:27

    pictured one had the 85j16 spicer with the cables to but never had any problem with them

  2438. #2438Truck Shop2019-05-30 06:19

    Actually KW torsion was every where but mainly fleets bought it because KW was selling it cheap verses other aftermarket at the time. They would low ball it on a fleet specification sale. But it was crap, agreed Petepilot that kw has four strikes against it. Same problem with this kw plus it had a detroit.

  2439. #2439DMiller2019-05-30 10:57

    The 80 K100c I was dumb enough to buy was 8v92t fifteen speed deep reduction switch on the dash so an 8 speed Torsion ride Center point with those goofy but handy for steps stick out hubs and a wheel base way too tight. Was steel frame was about the only saving grace Reciprocity was ‘Red River Trucking, Portland’ was where my partner in crime was based Was so much fun when those knuckle bushings wore out and they back flipped and locked

  2440. #2440525isx2019-05-30 18:54

    that cabover has short bars = heavy duty, the conventional has long bars = xtra crappy. long bars angle inward toward front , shortbars parallel the frame. my dad almost got the short bars on his 74 kw, changed his mind last minute got rubber block (walking beam)

  2441. #2441DMiller2019-05-30 18:59

    Would have rather had the Hendrickson on the 80 KW, better yet eight bag air ride but those were problematic when first came out with multiple ride height control valves but in ANY respect better than torsion ride. Had another truck was looking at then, my partner convinced me to not go for a 81 8664 Frt Lnr with a cummins 13 spd and air ride, STILL kick myself when think on what COULD have been. Was also $12k higher price

  2442. #2442RZucker2019-05-30 21:09

    Ah... the mouse house. Still there, but I bet you know that. (had to check when we got the motorhome)

  2443. #2443Hank R2019-06-03 13:46
  2444. #2444DMiller2019-06-03 18:06

    Now that is an oddity of the days gone by.

  2445. #2445Old Doug2019-06-03 19:37

    I got 2 cylinders put together finely and i put them on but the pump has a problem so back to the portapower.I was going tp pull the pump off but i only took the tools i needed to put the cylinders back on. Tomorrow i will try the portapower to raise the cab with the comealong to hold it back.There must be a check valve stuck in the pump.

  2446. #2446DMiller2019-06-03 21:05

    The old pumps were never much and if sat long not doing them much better.

  2447. #2447RZucker2019-06-03 22:35

    I had a '74 Chevy 65 line truck with a Coleman front axle, except for the clamp wheels it looked pretty similar. Talk about herding a truck down the road. Even with only 24k miles on the clock it was THE worst driving thing I ever saw.

  2448. #2448RZucker2019-06-03 23:20

    Added some more old iron to the stable today. Picked up this old girl (92) for a song. Been needing something beside the forklift for moving trailers into the shop.

  2449. #2449Hank R2019-06-03 23:22

    I am guess it is a ex BC Hydro truck.

  2450. #2450RZucker2019-06-03 23:34

    Pretty sure it is. I used to have a Paystar 5000 6x6 that was ex BC hydro, same bed with box. It had a 10 ton RO crane and a big bad 6-71 inline.

  2451. #2451JPV2019-06-04 00:07

    I don't know anything about this one but would like to. I believe it is the nicest Mack log truck around here of any vintage!

  2452. #2452DMiller2019-06-04 07:38

    Sweet Mochine there!!

  2453. #2453580bruce2019-06-04 10:34

    That log truck was for sale on Facebook for like 45,000

  2454. #2454580bruce2019-06-04 11:02

    Actually craigslist Portland

  2455. #2455Old Doug2019-06-04 21:47

    I got the cab up fare enough to work on it. It is bad. I freed up the kill cable and pulled the passenger side valve cover. 2 injecters were stuck i pulled them and heated them to about 200 and taped on them to free them. I pulled the other valve cover and all 3 were stuck. The front cylinder back bridge had so much slack between the rocker about a 1/4"that it was side ways and its not the valves. then i could see the plunger on that cylinder had been rotating the bottom were the pin keeps it from turning or comeing out had broken some time ago.Its funny but i bet the last time i had it started years ago it was like this because it was only driven 25 miles after that. I planed to start it and sell but now?

  2456. #2456RZucker2019-06-04 23:11

    This, boys and girls is why we don't let 2 stroke Detroits sit. Doug, your bridge that turned is because the valves are stuck. It doesn't look like it because the piston taps them back up, spray the crap out of the stems with PB blaster and tap the top with a small hammer and a hard plastic rod to free them up. I've unstuck many Detroits that stuck injectors and valves from sitting, never pulled an injector. Again, PB blaster and the nylon rod. Spray it on the plunger and rack and tap. The broken retainer pin may require replacing that injector and it's a good possibility that's a result of a stuck plunger that popped loose while cranking.

  2457. #2457Tugger22019-06-05 08:53

    The view yesterday from my 1970 s crane as the 1960s Hayes goes by loaded with as many lock blocks as they could stuff in the old girl. Ill have to try and keep the dust blown off the windows

  2458. #2458DMiller2019-06-05 09:37

    What model old Crane/Dragline?

  2459. #2459DMiller2019-06-05 13:11

    Even has a R190 in it Quite a parade here

  2460. #2460crane operator2019-06-05 21:57

    Nice looking truck. Big cam or cat? I used to drive a shorter wheelbase version, big cam 9 speed, I really liked that truck. Nobody else wanted to drive it because it didn't turn as short as some of the other trucks they had. Never really bothered me. I've got my eye on one about like that one, its a 1992 also, cat 3406 9speed, but its got set back front axle, and the sloped hood. The hood/bumper is all messed up, and I never see any of the set back hoods like that, where they arent messed up. Is there a different international hood than the sloped one for the set back axle? Something like the old square hood?

  2461. #2461crane operator2019-06-05 22:02

    https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/33497493/1967-peterbilt-358 1967 pete 358

  2462. #2462RZucker2019-06-05 22:27

    My new to me toy has a 400 BC Cummins with a 13 speed. Way more truck than I really need but at $2800 bucks I was sold. It probably wont ever leave the yard, but it may end up rescuing a trailer or two when the wrecker has to drag a newer electronic tractor out on the freeway. I have seen a couple of square nose setback axle Navistars, but they aren't too common.

  2463. #2463crane operator2019-06-05 22:39

    You got that bought right. The engine / trans is worth that. Good for you.

  2464. #2464Hank R2019-06-05 22:42

    Would that Green Pete have a Cat as I thought I seen the Brake saver control in the one picture.

  2465. #2465Tugger22019-06-05 23:19

    4450 American.Truckmounted 40 ton. I was lifting some girder sections for splicing into 100 ft lengths for a new bridge. A 270 ton is booked to place the girders and then i will lift all the bracing and deck slabs in to place.

  2466. #2466DMiller2019-06-06 12:39

    Not seen a Corn Queen slope nose that was NOT destroyed, I dare say the Curb Feeler front ends were used to best advantage!! The green Pete, 5x4? Hell of a place for the Johnson bar, almost need a co-driver for using that. Late 60's early 70s?

  2467. #2467DMiller2019-06-06 12:40

    Was almost certain American, right hand cab on the house but been WRONG So MANY times of note!! At least a roomy and relatively level site.

  2468. #2468RZucker2019-06-06 21:21

    Those old cabs were so narrow you could open the passenger window without stretching. It's hard to believe they had room for two shift levers. That reminds me of an old small cab KW I drove with a 5x4 setup. If you weren't careful you could get the sticks twisted together... Really. Then you would have to figure out how to untwist on the roll. The main was an old fuller that had high gear over to your knee and up, that was the one that got you.

  2469. #2469Mother Deuce2019-06-08 18:37

    I think I need this... hopefully if I take a deep sigh and a barley soda the thought will go away https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=1&acctid=13891#media

  2470. #2470crane operator2019-06-08 20:24

    The only indication of engine is the peterbilt tag under the dash- it said cummins power, but there were no pictures of the engine. More power to you mother deuce, but you couldn't pay me $5,000 to take a cabover. I hate climbing in and out of the cab, and there's no room in it when I get there. Place I used to work had a old KW with the air assist power steering, and a steering wheel like a bicycle tire. I just couldn't find a way to get in the cab, behind the wheel, and keep my shins off the dash, and be able to shift. The dimensions of the cab and my dimensions had a incompatibility problem. I like a hood out front, and it sure rides a lot nicer being between the axles, instead of sitting on top of one. But there's a truck out there for everyone, and the old cabovers are really popular with the guys tricking out trucks and taking them to shows, etc. I think its because they are "different" than the pete 359/379 and kw w900 that guys typically restore/ dress up. Its only money, and you can't take it with you. Auction site said 1967 on the pete, it sure looks nice in the pictures. I didn't buy the international, it brought under $6,000, but I just don't have a use for it. I need to be selling a truck, not buying another. The international 8100 I have, that I pull the counterweight load for my 100 ton on my rollback trailer, is being replaced by the pete I picked up in your neighborhood. So I need to find a home for my international, not drag home a different one.

  2471. #2471RZucker2019-06-08 23:59

    Hauling water for the forest circus can be some good money... As far as being a cabover, that's one of the better ones even though I preferred the big Peterbilt with 3 wiper blades if I HAD to drive one.

  2472. #2472Mother Deuce2019-06-09 04:26

    A long time ago in a far off Emerald City (Washington tourism reference to Seattle) on an inland sea a thin blonde version of me used to work for an oil company. The scrooges at the oil company had a formula for truck tare weight versus loads hauled over the service life of the unit (10 laps around the sun) they said "alas even though Kenworth is built less than 5 minutes from the terminal and they build a fine looking conventional, we shall go on a mission to find a horse that has the weight of dried thistle down. There shall be few amenities as they add weight and the cab should be vertical so our loyal minions will get exercise scaling the side of the building like cab up to 20 times a night there by keeping their weight down so we can haul more product". And so it was in the Emerald City for many years. As the minions toiled, scaling the sides of their Freightliners many times during a shift. It was noted that a few of the senior drivers were injuring the backs of their hands and their knuckles where their hands had started dragging on the ground behind them as they walked. The scrooges were concerned with this turn of events as they had not calculated potential time off or new uniforms and protective leather hand wear to combat the outbreak of simian arm syndrome. While the cure was obvious to all and even implemented by the beautiful Peterbilt 359 sporting minions at the home of the orange 76 antenna balls that all the cool kids had. Our kingdom clung to their formula and even though the truck had the aerodynamic qualities of a block of granite it was to be deemed the way of the kingdom. If you find your self in the PNW where simian arm syndrome was rampant in the 60's, 70's and 80's where many minions toiled for the oil companies, the line haul outfits among them, PIE, Consolidated, Garrett, Willy Shaw and others like them. Be careful when approaching a older cabover hand from behind, his/her hands could be trailing him by several feet! Crane Operator, I totally agree with you! One of my first official acts on leaving the realm was to lease a 300 inch, 4 axle, 3408 powered, KW W900 VIT cab with a double box sleeper and go to work in the great white north. After a month or so I noticed that my arms had regained their normal length and I no longer grimaced while I was driving. I had a sense of pride in that horse I could not get out of the "I will be the first one to accident" rides. Considering how many there were around and given how few you see now, their absence is remarkable and notable. I haven't sat in one since 1983 and perhaps the nostalgia coupled with R.Z,s observation about owning a tender as the magnitude of the fire fighting support business is growing is driving my romance with that tender. However good sense will prevail before I click the bid now button and dust off my Gov Deals account. I have liked my trucks a little closer to the ground for the ensuing 3 or so decades and will probably just continue with that. I really prefer them after all these years of pulling levers with somebody else driving it after I get it load and honk him or her out to the dump! Besides that I am a little heavier now and I would hate to find myself laying on the ground looking up at the truck, with a handrail in one hand and step laying by my boots! A final note from a former Freightliner herder... I always had the oddest sensation in those trucks, that the designer was channeling a Douglas DC2,DC3/C47 designer the way the windows were arranged versus the seating position

  2473. #2473Mother Deuce2019-06-09 04:30

    I have to pay better attention... my commute is about 200 miles a day right now and I am off my game a little! Congrats on the new horse

  2474. #2474Mother Deuce2019-06-09 04:36

    They are around... this one is in Silverton Colorado

  2475. #2475Mother Deuce2019-06-09 04:40

    That was my thought too. That there may be a 1693 lurking under that 74 ish hood. I don't recall if a narrow/needle nose has enough radiator area to cool one. I kind of don't think so. The line report say's it is a Cummins on the auction site.

  2476. #2476DMiller2019-06-09 08:01

    Know of a '74 with a 1693 in it, grade contractor in Foristell MO. Has had it since 79 bought from first owner. Radiator is not typical, has 6 or 8 row core and heavy as all get out, helped to pull it in 90 to get re-cored as rotted out, and YES will get hot if do not watch it. Truck has become a Garage Queen, he uses it only in parades. 4x4 twin stick trans and Hendrickson 38k suspension.

  2477. #2477DMiller2019-06-09 08:09

    Crane Operator: More power to you mother deuce, but you couldn't pay me $5,000 to take a cabover. I hate climbing in and out of the cab, and there's no room in it when I get there. Place I used to work had a old KW with the air assist power steering, and a steering wheel like a bicycle tire. First real fleet I worked, Midwestern Distribution Ft Scott KS was ALL 8664 frt lnrs, I can relate to the climbing and squeezed in. First on scene is well noted where were told if see cannot stop in time raise your legs or lose them below the knees. Is also where I drove the 56 Diamond T with the Black Diamond Gas six wrecker, Another Squeeze in cab.

  2478. #2478RZucker2019-06-09 13:22

    Reminds me of the song "Riverside Slide" By CW Mccall. I think I have that right.

  2479. #2479Mother Deuce2019-06-09 15:03

    It is right when I get home I will check... I have a image of the snow shed

  2480. #2480Mother Deuce2019-06-09 16:30

    Nope, have pictures of 550 but not the snowshed or the memorial plaques.

  2481. #2481RZucker2019-06-09 17:10

    Got out for a while today and saw these old critters. The GMC cabover has the 702 V12. Helped a guy working on it about 12 years ago. The guy that owns the stuff also has a Hall-Scott powered KW needle nose. That runs.

  2482. #2482petepilot2019-06-09 17:12

    could I safely say i detect just a wee bit of dislike for a cabover in this story?

  2483. #2483Mother Deuce2019-06-09 17:41

    LOL! That would be a fair analysis.

  2484. #2484Mother Deuce2019-06-09 17:45

    The green and white Mack looks like an escapee from D.L Ducky back in the day.

  2485. #2485RZucker2019-06-09 17:55

    I had to push several cabovers back in the day, I never really hated them, but a good truck with a hood was my preference. When I was dumb enough to haul hand stacked hay, one of the trucks I drove was a '74 Freightshaker with a 28' deck and a 32' pull. It got a good payload until the length laws changed.

  2486. #2486RZucker2019-06-09 17:58

    You could be right about that. Gonna talk to the owner this week and see if I can get some closer pics. I think he has some clean convertor dollies I need anyways.

  2487. #2487petepilot2019-06-09 18:04

    md. heres a freightliner i think you could like

  2488. #2488DMiller2019-06-09 18:06

    Is this it?

  2489. #2489Mother Deuce2019-06-09 18:37

    Sure is, that is the snow shed for the Riverside slide path. The memorials to the plow hands and a pastor I believe would have been out of sight immediately to your right in that image

  2490. #2490Mother Deuce2019-06-09 18:40

    I think I would run out of paper bags to wear over my head before I got to far! It does solve that whole scaling the side of the wall to get to the seat!

  2491. #2491Hank R2019-06-09 18:58

    Mother Deuce, maybe the shipping dept. needs you??

  2492. #2492DMiller2019-06-09 20:45

    As I remember that valley was full of snow as we rolled by, I remember the signage but had a pickup dead on my ass and did not slow far enough to read it.

  2493. #2493RZucker2019-06-09 21:20

    Gross... I used to have a guy bring one of those things in for PM. It had a 3176 Cat and about 5' of exhaust dumping right behind the RH front tire.

  2494. #2494Mother Deuce2019-06-09 21:22

    It is a little like that now... I am shipping dirt all the time. I just don’t have the styling hat!

  2495. #2495DMiller2019-06-10 06:57

    We came off Red Mountain pass, just before get to Ouray and the Cut Rock tunnel, had to stop for roadwork flagger, ENTIRE S Bound lane was GONE. The boys were working to reset the base to put a lane back on. The excavator is setting at the end of the asphalt where that lane should have been. Winter is not so nice on US550.

  2496. #2496petepilot2019-06-10 17:07

    good road not to travel

  2497. #2497DMiller2019-06-10 18:01

    Cool road on a bike!!

  2498. #2498Mother Deuce2019-06-10 18:07

    550 neighborhood

  2499. #2499petepilot2019-06-10 19:25

    what part of the state does 550 cover?

  2500. #2500Mother Deuce2019-06-10 19:31

    Montrose through Durango and out of state the most interesting stretch is between Ouray to Silverton and Durango

  2501. #2501RZucker2019-06-10 20:27

    I took 50 east out of Montrose one time pulling an empty lowboy with a jeep. Last time I let a DOT officer suggest a shortcut. I'll stick with I-70.

  2502. #2502petepilot2019-06-10 20:43

    if I ever make that trip you can bet my golf cart will have a jake brake

  2503. #2503RZucker2019-06-11 00:14

    The grades weren't bad, but the corners going up were, and then when we hit Monarch pass at the 10,000 ft level the old 400 Cummins was gasping for air and making tons of black smoke.

  2504. #2504petepilot2019-06-11 00:56

    I made two trips across wolf creek one east&one west with a 220 na that old horse gasped like a coal burner at about 10.800 to. also saw it snow in august up there

  2505. #2505DMiller2019-06-11 08:36

    Durango to Montrose, scenic from Durango to Ouray.

  2506. #2506DMiller2019-06-11 08:38

    Wife was unimpressed with WC Pass on the bike in first of June snow storm, kept tightening her right leg as if trying to press a magic brake pedal on her foot board!!!

  2507. #2507farmerlund2019-06-12 14:30

    Have you talked to Truck shop lately RZ? Been pretty quiet for awhile.

  2508. #2508colson042019-06-13 17:39

    https://porthuron.craigslist.org/hvo/d/smiths-creek-mack-dump-truck-1968/6878689910.html

  2509. #2509Mother Deuce2019-06-13 17:53

    Wolf Creek with a 220? You are my new hero! I can't even imagine!... We used to work between 11, 500 and 12,500. This old horse by the time she made the 16 steps to the cab of the 994H she was done. We used to buy these little personal cans of oxygen at WalMart in Frisco. Pretty much had to half empty one of those before I picked up mike to ready up with dispatch LOL!

  2510. #2510mitch5042019-06-13 20:20

    wow, they really had personal cans of oxygen at walmart?

  2511. #2511DMiller2019-06-13 20:24

    Working out of SLC would grab a gas axe on occasion and snort off the O2 side for a head clearer, also helps with hangovers, don't ask how I know.

  2512. #2512DMiller2019-06-13 20:26

    Old DM series, Side saddle Cab, shift lever five feet long!!

  2513. #2513RZucker2019-06-13 20:31

    That's one of the goofy looking ones with the cab shoved all the way to the left. Drove one about 90 miles once, drivers mirror worked well, passenger side not so much. Shifter was a little strange too, had a long bend under the floor without much feel... Kinda like a Volvo.

  2514. #2514RZucker2019-06-13 20:32

    Beat me to the post.

  2515. #2515petepilot2019-06-13 20:50

    heard that works but never tried it

  2516. #2516kshansen2019-06-13 21:28

    I was actually thinking that might be a U600 did some Google search and this was all I could find right off: The U was basically a short R, while the DM was an extra heavy duty version of the U often used in 6X4 construction trucks. So guess it depends on what they refer to as an"extra heavy duty" version. I know all the DM models we had in the company were set up with 12:00X24 tires and if memory serves me correct they all had triple frames, at least from cab back. Then again most of the DM we had also had the steel flip up fenders and butterfly hoods! Much easier to do in-chassis work on engines, R models were a pain to work on the rear head!

  2517. #2517Mother Deuce2019-06-14 03:33

    Yes they do. I usually kept 2 of these with me because I have asthma. https://www.walmart.com/ip/O-Skinni-3-pack-Oxygen-Plus/631462500 They were like 6 or 8 bucks. We lived at around 10,800 so your body make a more red blood cells for you and after you "acclimate" it isn't to much of a problem. Rambling around doing regular stuff wasn't a problem for most after you lived there for awhile. LOL! however with the asthma thing I can run short hiking down here at 1500 feet Getting from the ground to the cab of the 994 was always a adventure at 12,000. The machine is just an animal. Cat 3516 for power, I always wondered how much better it would run with Sea Level O2 levels at 12,000 feet!

  2518. #2518Mother Deuce2019-06-14 03:35

    I had a fighter driver tell me that once...

  2519. #2519Mother Deuce2019-06-14 03:41

    We rented one of those as a site truck not too long ago from one of our guy's... that shifter will give you tendonitis in about a minute

  2520. #2520DMiller2019-06-14 07:39

    On a second ride thru CO, we with another couple rode over 10,000 foot mark NUMEROUS times, as we got close I KNEW we were close as would slightly nauseate then the headache would begin to throb and TADA the sign would pop up as to the pass we were crossing. Not like I was a little dehydrated or something(was making routine Barely soda stops) or not well acclimated or something, was WISHING for a garage or weld shop to grab a little O2 snort but never found one!! Could be U cab but typical for a DM fiberglass nose around here, right mirror was on four foot sideways stilts and shook like a dog dropping peach pits. The DMM series at the quarries were Iron fronts, U series mostly city day cab tractors.

  2521. #2521Mother Deuce2019-06-18 19:41

    Saw this today while herding one of our Mack's about the campus in the Boston neighborhood. There is another one like it in the same yard... It's like one hand missed Salt Lake and just kept steamin' east! Kind of sad in a way considering how big and successful that outfit was.

  2522. #2522DMiller2019-06-18 20:09

    WOW, a old Ribside, seen MANY better days.

  2523. #2523petepilot2019-06-18 20:35

    an old retired dock wallopper

  2524. #2524Labparamour2019-06-18 20:37

    Consolidated, Garrett, PIE... Remember seeing them all on the road riding in the family car as a youngster.

  2525. #2525Truck Shop2019-06-18 20:43

    Leland James founder of Consolidated Freightways and the Freightliner

  2526. #2526JPV2019-06-18 22:19

    My wife's uncle worked for Consolidated Freight for almost 40 years in the Portland office and retired when they did. He said it was a good outfit to work for.

  2527. #2527Hank R2019-06-19 16:31
  2528. #2528RZucker2019-06-19 20:31

    I love it, reminds me of Granddad's dump truck fleet in the 60's. Red with black fenders.

  2529. #2529Tugger22019-06-19 20:38

    If you work hard all year you could bring it to next years show n shine Hank .

  2530. #2530Hank R2019-06-19 20:44

    I will get right on it... new hoses and a couple rattle cans of paint. What else does it need ??? I am sure one would get lots of looks going down the highway. Truck is 4 hrs east of me.

  2531. #2531Mother Deuce2019-06-20 01:00

    Considering how many of those are in your background Hank.... it almost in your blood to own it

  2532. #2532petepilot2019-06-20 20:20

    don`t let that one get away

  2533. #2533terex herder2019-06-22 15:50

    Saw this today. Not a heavy truck, but it'll have to do.

  2534. #2534DMiller2019-06-22 15:57

    Heavy enough Where is that peach parked?

  2535. #2535terex herder2019-06-22 16:01

    NC Kansas

  2536. #2536DMiller2019-06-22 16:29

    For sale or not?

  2537. #2537terex herder2019-06-22 17:56

    No for sale sign, but I could inquire if you are serious. Don't know anything about the owner, just saw it when out touring junk shops with my wife. Looks like it says Fish and Wildlife in the center of the door.

  2538. #2538DMiller2019-06-22 18:01

    Looks to be a '57, kind of partial to that era. IF you happen to be near it again, a ask would be appreciated.

  2539. #2539Truck Shop2019-06-22 22:29

    Too bad it's not a factory diesel rude-a-baker.

  2540. #2540Mother Deuce2019-06-23 06:16

    57.... hmmmm something happened in 57... I’ll think of it

  2541. #2541DMiller2019-06-23 06:54

    True Has a V emblem under the Transtar tag but still a nice seemingly intact 57

  2542. #2542Old Doug2019-06-23 12:25

    Me and my dad started to restoreing a Studebaker car and its more than half done but he got hard to work with so i havent touched it for a while. I hope to work on it some this winter or win the lottery and buy it from him and scrap it. I had all the parts layed out on tables and one day he piled every thing on one table. I lost all interest in it that day.

  2543. #2543Hank R2019-06-23 19:03

    Took these pictures at least 10 years ago know nothing about these trucks.

  2544. #2544DMiller2019-06-24 15:54

    Well it IS a '57 Stude, running and driven as well utilized, in no way for sale at any reasonable price as is a Gentleman's baby. Spoke to the garage near where it sits, they were going to be working on it again this week.

  2545. #2545kshansen2019-06-24 20:23

    Well my wife was born that year so I know that much!

  2546. #2546Hank R2019-06-26 13:21
  2547. #2547JPV2019-06-26 20:47

    Here is one that a friend from B.C. is putting on a 4wd 93 Dodge chassis with a Cummins in it. The cab was shot on the Dodge and the frame was shot on the K series. It should be pretty cool when it is finished.

  2548. #2548DMiller2019-06-26 21:07

    Lots of work Should look cool

  2549. #2549Hank R2019-07-02 22:52

    This old girl has easy life at our local landfill (dump) A sharp eye will notice the rear window is bowed The hoist cylinder broke a while ago and cab is bent

  2550. #2550DMiller2019-07-03 08:06

    Looks to have had a rough life.

  2551. #2551terex herder2019-07-03 20:10

    Found this old Diamond T hiding in the weeds today.

  2552. #2552RZucker2019-07-06 18:54

    Got a pic from the front of this one today. Yup a White. Looks like some sort of air springs on the sides of the radiator.

  2553. #2553Hank R2019-07-23 16:23

    My friend Len bought his dad's old 630 GMC , when his dad had it it was a straight logging truck, the self loading trail conversion is not how most were carried on back of trucks. then sold it and new owned used a trailer to log his own land .

  2554. #255492U 34062019-07-23 17:55

    My old girl. Currently in about 1,000 pieces but slowly going back together.

  2555. #2555old-iron-habit2019-07-24 23:12

    My wife is also a 57 model.

  2556. #2556RZucker2019-08-05 00:17

    Saw this old beast today, somehow my phone lost the pic of the firetruck on the other side.

  2557. #2557DMiller2019-08-05 08:28

    Good old R model.

  2558. #2558RZucker2019-08-05 17:49

    The fire truck was a V-190 and is kept in running condition for grass fires. The dump truck runs when needed, the plow is for clearing a long drive way and roads to feed cattle in winter.

  2559. #2559DMiller2019-08-05 17:52

    Amazing how long these old dino's have lasted and still working.

  2560. #2560RZucker2019-08-05 18:34

    About 4 years ago I almost bought an R-190 with a 450 engine on propane for a shop truck to move trailers around, thing ran like a good watch but traveling 30 miles just to fill those 2 huge tanks wasn't worth it for me. Plus I figured converting back to gas would jinx it bad.

  2561. #2561Truck Shop2019-08-09 22:21

    The music I use to hear years ago in the truck stops on the juke box. What happened to that music.

  2562. #2562Birken Vogt2019-08-10 00:20

    AM 690 out of Prineville used to play that music but recently I gave a listen and they seem to have moved up into the 1980s or something. I did hear some very amusing Jerry Reed on the car radio when I visited Missouri a while back. You don't hear that around here.

  2563. #2563colson042019-08-10 09:01

    The best we got out here is 94.1 FM, The Duke. Plays everything from 60's to 90's country. My wife complains every time she gets in my truck "Ugh, Not this old crap again". She doesnt get it, but my 5 year old loves it because I love it, and he sings every song right along with me.

  2564. #2564crane operator2019-08-10 11:24

    Its not old, and it certainly isn't pretty, but I just had to smile at the bumper and the convoluted exhaust. Not to mention someone who names their trucking outfit "Dirty".

  2565. #2565RZucker2019-08-10 14:38

    Oh, my... I don't know what to say. I guess they made good use of the original muffler brackets. And well... those wraparound fiberglass bumpers were a pain when you worked on the engine. I took a Sawzall to the 2 Volvos I had and took 4" off the ends so I could get past the tires. Those trucks were nowhere as pretty as this one.

  2566. #2566petepilot2019-08-10 16:47

    oh well he got the (exhausted) pipes out of the way of the cab sheild

  2567. #2567Truck Shop2019-08-10 19:17

    The truck number says D2 so there must be another one just like it or worse, or the other one is R2.

  2568. #2568RZucker2019-08-24 16:11

    Been working on the wheels on SuperFord. Presentable, but not clean yet. They were almost black.

  2569. #2569Mother Deuce2019-08-24 17:11

    Little quality time ahead with some Mothers!

  2570. #2570RZucker2019-08-24 17:27

    No... a little quality time with Jose when he's out acid blasting some customer trucks. He can make them nice and white. The previous owner ran I90 all the time in the winter and the salt and deicer took its toll. He also apparently never changed oil. I've been doing 2500 mile changes since I got it and now the oil consumption has gone to near zero, and the gas mileage is hitting 15+. I'm kinda happy with the old beast. All 10 plug holes have been properly rebushed, replace a couple of tie rod joints, cleaned and repacked the front hubs, now I should be good for another 200K. Oh wait... I need to replace some exhaust parts its got a cat back dual exhaust and muffler and tailpipe time is coming near.

  2571. #2571Mother Deuce2019-08-24 18:22

    Hmmm I was just at the dealer with the GTI 102,500 in 31 months. I need to do the brakes fronts are down to 2mm, the rear pads are good but the rotors are pitting from salt. I have had this harmonic resonation at 50 miles per hour on a new surface for about 3 months... thought it was a left rear wheel bearing checking out. Turns out that all four wheels are bent slightly both around the radius and from bead to bead. If you put a straight edge next to it and spin it you can see it slightly. 30 months and 6 tires lost to the pothole obstacle course are showing in the wheels. 2200 for freshies... I was told there is someone in Mass that makes a cottage industry out of truing light weight go faster wheels for around 600. Guess we will find out. The wooba, wooba, wooba harmonic racket is the tires that are now cupping on the inside due to the wheel issues. So I reckon I will be call Bibb the Michlein Man for 4 more. As hickok 45 say's on You Tube "Life is good!"

  2572. #2572RZucker2019-08-24 19:16

    Of course that reminds me I have at least one brake rotor that warps when it gets hot, its fine for most driving but drop the hill to Biggs from Goldendale and I get the woobie woobies.

  2573. #2573Truck Shop2019-08-24 20:19

    Woobie Woobie? how about whippy whapper?

  2574. #2574RZucker2019-08-24 20:23

    Could be about the same thing.

  2575. #2575Truck Shop2019-08-24 20:28

    I noticed there are trees in the back ground of photo about your Ford. I have been through ML many times in my life, I must have missed those.

  2576. #2576RZucker2019-08-24 20:45

    We have a few trees. Gives the damn squirrels a place to hide out. Story is the squirrels were imported to here from Walla Walla. Seriously.

  2577. #2577Truck Shop2019-08-24 21:17

    No doubt, the photo below of Pioneer Park here in Wally World it's surprising there are no squirrels, the place is infested with them. Note-Pioneer Park was designed by the man who designed Central Park in New York City.

  2578. #2578DMiller2019-08-26 20:15

    Salt cancer is taking my Super Ford, wheels and all. Are becoming porous where seep air pressure thru the rims, actually can see them bubble up in a water tank. The old Volvo White Road tractor Dump Conversion is what we had as typical's around here in the late seventies thru eighties and just into the nineties. Damned ugly for broken springs, broken hangers, torque rod bushings slammed to hell and back, single rail frames cracked cross member the owners would try to weld the cracks looked like test coupons. Money Pits overall.

  2579. #2579Truck Shop2019-08-26 20:38

    The DOT inspector around here {I know him} has been living here for years before he became an inspector three years ago. So he already knew the companies and rigs that had been pushing the limits and way past the limits. He works the construction and farmer end pretty hard. He knows those rigs are not crossing any scales or port of entry crossings so most are out of compliance. Plus bad permits, tonnage, tabs and FHWA inspections were not done. Then the bitching started-the guy is just doing his job is the way I see it. My company has to comply so should they.

  2580. #2580RZucker2019-08-26 21:27

    Luckily here we have enough of a dry spell each year that all I have is a bit of surface rust here and there. The frame is good , got a few rock chips in the paint on the bottom side that need to be taken care of, but life in the Desert is good for older trucks.

  2581. #2581Truck Shop2019-08-26 21:55

    Agree with that, the only draw back is the state using salt in winter the last 9 years around here. My old 1984 150 had a good life.

  2582. #2582RZucker2019-08-30 18:55

    Got the new exhaust on SuperFord yesterday, cat back dual tailpipe system. Sounds pretty good, I could have saved a hundo by going single, but I like the dual look from the days when we had real dual exhaust. About all I have to do next is cosmetic stuff, it really needs new headlight and tailight housings, got a broken AC vent in the dash and I really need some bullet/dog proof seat covers.

  2583. #2583crane operator2019-08-31 00:34

    I do some work back and forth with this guy, he's got a nice old kW. He does some odd size hauling for me with his boat trailers, and I help him out with lifting boats/ taking the canopies off for hauling. He let me borrow his parking lot the other day, to drop my lowboy for using the galion, and I snapped a couple pics. He's got a newer KW too with a huge sleeper on it, that he does his long hauls with, but I like this one better. Except the spiky lug caps, I think they are dumb looking and I make fun of him about them. But I really like the road runner/ thunderbird paint/ stripe thing.

  2584. #2584Truck Shop2019-08-31 07:32

    Ben Hur lug nut covers. A 1%er rolling **** house above in the first photo. Nice W900.

  2585. #2585DMiller2019-08-31 09:06

    Very nice short hood 900, Sharp!!

  2586. #2586mitch5042019-08-31 09:20

    I agree, the spiky nut covers would have to go, and that huge visor. Otherwise, sweet truck! It always amazes me how much boat hauling and stuff goes on thousands of miles from the (real) water.

  2587. #2587kshansen2019-08-31 10:02

    Had to zoom in on the front wheels, yes I would not want to walk past that truck in a crowded parking area at night without having a pair of logging chaps on!

  2588. #2588Truck Shop2019-08-31 21:12

    We have several drivers that installed covers like the ones below. So when their coming out of turn two passing that Crete Carrier they slid up along side and take out the drives on the left.

  2589. #2589Truck Shop2019-08-31 21:42

    Early day truck drivers practicing the wheel cutting technique.

  2590. #2590RZucker2019-08-31 21:55

    Must be hay haulers... They have twice as much horsepower than they need.

  2591. #2591crane operator2019-09-07 15:38

    Wrecker service with a custom old peterbilt wrecker. Tandem steer, heavy wheel lift, one deck/drag winch, and two boom winches. Boom telescopes and is a rotater, has 4 outrigger jacks, two with outrigger beams, two jacks stay fixed under the frame. The whole thing looks home built to me, from 30 years ago, before they were building all the new $600,000 rotaters they sell now. But it looks like it was built by someone who had done some work, and they put a lot of thought into it. I saw it six months ago or so, and I don't think it has moved since then. Boom looks like its two pieces of old drill casing, big and heavy looking.

  2592. #2592crane operator2019-09-07 15:41
  2593. #2593DMiller2019-09-07 17:08

    Does appear home built of old oil field equipment These and the noted later rotators are so overweight they require emergency equipment status to license Last rotator I looked at was at I44 service in St Clair They build their own as well and the unit I looked at base weighed 84,000 twin steer 18s 54,000 rubber ride rear side and rear outriggers no plates just EM Status to use in wreck recovery like cranes

  2594. #2594petepilot2019-09-07 17:51

    I would not bet money but I think that used to belong to continental towing out of cali. last one they built I think

  2595. #2595Truck Shop2019-09-07 18:56

    Agree, that unit is very reminiscent of a Continental Towing unit. Continental built mainly round booms and as with everything they built, it was well constructed.

  2596. #2596Mother Deuce2019-09-07 19:07

    At least the guys from Lynden did!

  2597. #2597Truck Shop2019-09-07 19:45

    I have always thought and found the idea of owning and operating a $750,000 fancy *** rotator for recovery work totally asinine. Last year there were two rigs like the ones in the photos below for sale both went for less than $100,000, Both were 100 ton railroad cranes with not much in the way of hours. One of these on a recovery job would make a rotator look extremely sad. And I know of a guy named Crane Operator to operate it.

  2598. #2598mowingman2019-09-07 21:29

    My friend, who is the retired VP of machinery at Hulcher, told me those big truck cranes were ideal for working out on bridges and trestles. That was an area where they could not use the sidebooms.

  2599. #2599Truck Shop2019-09-07 21:35

    I have looked at several Hulcher rail cranes, probably some of the best engineered recovery rigs ever built.

  2600. #2600Tugger22019-09-07 22:36

    Heres another beast of a recovery machine.

  2601. #2601crane operator2019-09-07 22:51

    Funny you should mention those rigs. I have seen several also in the last few years for sale. I think the railroad is selling the ones they owned, and just subcontracting out the work (to outfits like hulcher). I thought about buying one, I do some work at our local senic railroad, but they are just such a limited use machine, I don't know that the numbers would work. But they sure are neat machines. I saw one of them that had a square boom like the pettibone that tugger posted, and they had a boom extension you could bolt into it for a little more stick. Our local heavy wrecker guy retired this spring. Sold the trucks and now is just running his repair shop (cars, pickups, tires, lube). We have lots of guys running around with little rollbacks, but I really don't want to do that , I just want a heavy. Not a rotator, just a puller with a wheel lift. I keep kicking it around and looking at big wreckers, and I think it kind of would fit in with a lot of the other work we do. And I always like a challenge. But, if I have a job tomorrow, with my 100 ton crane doing manbasket work at 200' up, I can't take a wrecker call at 1:00 am and work all night, and then do a good job with the crane the next day. I'd like to think I could, but reality says I can't. I wouldn't mind going out and flipping back up a tipped over dump truck or concrete truck once in a while, but you can't schedule around that kind of work. And if you're not available when the customer calls, pretty soon they don't call.

  2602. #2602Hank R2019-09-17 18:55

    My friend Rob his boss just bought this General from near Calgary, and plans are to restore and use it for shows. A low millage truck for sure.

  2603. #2603DMiller2019-09-17 18:59

    WOW!!

  2604. #2604Mother Deuce2019-09-17 19:05

    Tell him to check the grill fasteners... grill fell right out of mine onto the road and under the drivers. The driver brought a handful back to the yard for inspection. It was the harbinger of things to come.

  2605. #2605Mother Deuce2019-09-17 19:19

    I have been meaning to take a few images of this 66ish N Series Ford wrecker for a few months on our way to the range Saturday we saw that someone had drug it out of it's tomb.

  2606. #2606Truck Shop2019-09-17 19:38

    {Old Rusty} should be it's name. Holmes 600 with X7 booms and military box. Ugh-Minnesota Mag wheels.

  2607. #2607RZucker2019-09-17 19:57

    IIRC Bateman towing in Spokane had a Ford "N" like that with a 534 engine and a 580(?) Holmes with the high mounted booms. It wasn't a bad looking truck in the day.

  2608. #2608Truck Shop2019-09-17 20:32

    The N series above has to be 1966 to 1969, 66 was the first year of the raised roof and 69 was the end of the line for the NT850D to NT1000D. Power was NH 230 or NHC 250 Cummins or Detroit 6-71N's at 238 with 10spds. That model came out in 1963 and never really sold that well. Wonder what is with eastern trucks and those bumper guide sticks?

  2609. #2609crane operator2019-09-17 21:39

    Must be the season for low mileage general's. This one is up for auction, says always inside and only 49,000 miles. 8v92 and a 13 speed. The interior is right out of the GM parts bin. https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/123543593/1982-gmc-general

  2610. #2610crane operator2019-09-17 21:41
  2611. #2611Truck Shop2019-09-17 21:50

    Not a bad rig except for the fact it has a Double 00 92- those were turds.

  2612. #2612RZucker2019-09-17 21:54

    Double O 8V92... bad JUJU. Just an overbored 8V71 for the most part. Edit... I see Truck Shop beat me to the punch.

  2613. #2613Birken Vogt2019-09-17 23:21

    OK, I have never heard of a double O 92. What does that mean and what is wrong with it? What are the general specs on that model?

  2614. #2614RZucker2019-09-18 00:04

    Basically an 8v71 that was bored out for wet liners, the blocks and crankshaft had some weak points that were addressed with the Silver series with a dedicated block, improved crankshaft and main bearings to handle the increased HP.

  2615. #2615Truck Shop2019-09-18 06:06

    The Double 00 which is designated by the two zero's at the end of the serial number were as RZ pointed out, a 8-71 block, crank and rods with the 92 pistons and liners. Those engines were known to break/crack the main bearing caps. Years ago I knew of two that broke in rigs down in Calif and were eased back to home to Ellensburg, 1200 miles. If you had one break once you knew immediately without looking at the oil pressure gauge that it happened again by the odd vibration it produces when the main cap breaks. A strange high frequency vibration. A guy I worked for ran through three Double 00's in less than 14 months. At the time Emerson Diesel in Seattle had a pile of them setting out back, all toasted.

  2616. #2616kshansen2019-09-18 09:30

    We more or less inherited a General with a 92 in it, that one had as I recall a problem with a crack in the top deck near one of the head bolts or some such thing. Recall the boss spending some time talking to Detroit factory saying how big a national company we were and so on, most of which was true if not a little out of character for "Shorty" he had a way of stretching the truth to near the breaking point. Well the final out come was I was told we got a brand new Silver 92 in a crate for something like $5,000.00. And the company as far as I know never bought anything with a 92 in it after that!

  2617. #2617kshansen2019-09-18 09:31

    That's to let the drivers know when to park the trucks, snow over the top of sticks head to coffee shop!

  2618. #2618Cody danos2019-09-18 10:16

    So double 00 92s were different than the silver 92, correct? The silver 92 was a better engine, right. Just making sure I understand y’all correctly.

  2619. #2619Birken Vogt2019-09-18 11:57

    How many years did they make these achy breaky bored out 71 before they beefed up the 92 properly?

  2620. #2620DMiller2019-09-18 15:42

    Likely a 6L in the N series, Small Diameter stack and BIG air cleaner for the day so NOT gasser. Could be a NH250 but air cleaner usually on left for those. That old GM General looks pretty damn sweet, exchange that Double Naught for a 8v71T and be a good to go or upgrade to a Silver 92 and be good for a LONG time.

  2621. #2621DMiller2019-09-18 15:49

    OO started in '74, I BELIEVE the Silver line started around 78 or 79, my 79 K100 had the Silver 92 435 in it

  2622. #2622Birken Vogt2019-09-18 16:19

    That is why I was confused, I think that General was listed as an 82 or 84 or something? So how did it wind up with a 00 engine?

  2623. #2623DMiller2019-09-18 16:53

    For GM could have been a use up of old stock with engines sitting awaiting orders IIRC inventory taxation started about that same time so a good way of excess leftovers OR could it be a old Kit? On a older GMC? But that should have titled old. Best way to find out request engine data tag pics Will have build date on them

  2624. #2624RZucker2019-09-18 17:19

    Could be old covers on a newer block too. Need to check the block numbers.

  2625. #2625DMiller2019-09-18 18:19

    May be onto something there RZ.

  2626. #2626DMiller2019-09-18 18:30

    Might be a grenade replacement as well.

  2627. #2627Truck Shop2019-09-18 19:43

    With that kind mileage why would someone put early valve covers on a silver? Nah that turd is a left over 00 Gm was getting rid of. I think it needs 2/3 of the oil drained out and a concrete block tossed on the throttle pedal. Replacements came with the silver 92 logo on the covers. Plus it says on the data tag Engine Date of Manufacture {Nov 1980}. Even more reason to send it to the moon. Plus in the auction ad description It says {transmission --DT12} DT12's didn't come out till 2014. So it has a 8LL DT12 automatic .

  2628. #2628DMiller2019-09-18 19:55

    Early Silver's were not much better. The DDEC units performed some better but not to a great degree.

  2629. #2629Truck Shop2019-09-18 20:05

    Plus take a look at the shift controls it has a plunger valve on the side with the splitter on top That is a RTO12513 not a Rotten 8LL-{the most worthless road transmission ever built by Fuller}

  2630. #2630RZucker2019-09-18 20:07

    Not so sure about that, I've driven 475HP Silvers that made Cats beg for mercy. One of the meanest was a fuel squeezer that had the governor reconfigured to standard, local DDA dealer said it was well over 500HP, it did smoke a tad when you pushed it hard and REALLY SUCKED FUEL.

  2631. #2631RZucker2019-09-18 20:07

    That Ad has all kinds of inconsistencies.

  2632. #2632Truck Shop2019-09-18 20:42

    I think that {Get'a Mechanic Coming} has a bunch of inconsistencies. Those auction houses like Small Iron, Brown Wave or {Brown Out} and RB {Rotten Bob's used trash} are full of all kinds of bad info provided by the seller. And if there is a empty space just fill it with {transmission-DT12} for a early eighties truck. Hell no one will notice these morons don't know what their looking at anyways, it's just farmer Bill and his brother Babblequack wanting to bid on a old truck that's 25 years newer than the one they already have. So to them it's an update, just keep typing up the ads and get'em on the web.

  2633. #2633DMiller2019-09-19 07:42

    Something inconsistent of the whole ad. Found the engine tags in the listing, Build Date on the 8V 1980, on the tags again 8V92TA where series does show some on Gov housing as 7400-_600 which would be a OO92. Brake drums do show to be OE as have the toothed outer edge, Barn queen likely put it to use and Every seal on it fail accordingly

  2634. #2634Truck Shop2019-09-20 20:53

    I agree, I know of several Silver 92's that ran well. The airport crash response vehicle at this air port is a Oshkosh powered by a 575 hp mechanical 92. Although it has since been retired. The fire department guys that drove it said 0 to 80 was a real experience.

  2635. #2635Mother Deuce2019-09-21 00:19

    Is the 00 the same as the T? In 77 the company I was working for took delivery of the first KW that KW Northwest delivered with the T. Ray Lute was the salesman. It ran like a screaming watch. At the time there was nothing that would run with it except a 1693. Dudley Boat had a bunch of Astro’s with 71’s at the time and it was a humor to blow by one and get the question “what is in that truck” and be able to tell them same as you just a Detroit. That truck also had the first and last “heavy” torsion bar suspension I ever encountered. Unlike the engine which admittedly I only drove early in its service life the suspension was junk right out of the gate.

  2636. #2636Truck Shop2019-09-21 07:45

    I believe the T only stood for turbocharged. There was also a TT designation but I'm not remembering it right now, brain is dead.

  2637. #2637Mother Deuce2019-09-21 07:57

    Well... it is Saturday. A little brain rest is called for.

  2638. #2638525isx2019-09-21 08:12

    TT = turbo torque economy TA = turbo aftercooled

  2639. #2639Mother Deuce2019-09-21 08:16

    Thanks! I remember that now the TT was a squeezer and the T was the full house version. Seems like as they aged the T's developed a appetite for quill shafts. IIRC All that seems like a career ago or so...

  2640. #2640Birken Vogt2019-09-21 09:41

    I thought TT stood for "Tailored Torque" where they had bigger injectors along with a more complex governor that made it respond more like a Cummins or Cat so that it had more fuel per stroke in lower RPM but as it approached full RPM fuel was cut back. So that it had lugging ability in other words. Maybe that was done for economy so that you didn't have to run maximum RPM all the time as Detroits were known for?

  2641. #2641colson042019-09-21 09:54

    Old Ford for sale near me. 361 with a 5+2

  2642. #2642DMiller2019-09-21 11:18

    Colson, Now THAT is You, make it into a Rat Rod!!

  2643. #2643Mother Deuce2019-09-21 11:36

    Be easy to chop the top... take a easy 6 inches out and just drop it straight down.

  2644. #2644DMiller2019-09-21 12:19

    TS, that 8V in the K100 I had was a crip from the day we bought it. SWB K100C standard Sleeper, RW CenterPoint front end REALLY handy for tagging a hub cap on occasion like a Curb Feeler even as was Kinda handy for a entry step, SQHPs IIRC were 3:70 ratio with a Deep Reduction RTO9515 4th and 5th swapped in gate. A Screaming POOCH in high gear on any grade lose rpm quick then drop to 4th HiSide and engine just screamed at Governed and never a speed wagon. Ours dropped pieces of a blower lobe, nicked intercooler then cooked a piston in the Left bank, KW Boise repaired said ALL was good except did NOT state no warranty even as asked if should not do BOTH banks, shucked a piston in right bank under a month and would not stand behind their work where found that the Left bank ALSO had one scored again but no warranty. Did fair after that until I sold it in 82, just not enough money to keep feeding the partners soon to be ex-wife.

  2645. #2645Truck Shop2019-09-21 18:27

    A few photos of trucks at the local show today, very poor turn out. The 1964 KW fire truck with a Waukesha F817 six banger-5 3/8" bore X 6" stroke. The blue Pete I knew from years ago-at one time it had a Silver 92 and a 60" flat top sleeper and was painted black, it's a 1965. And a logger.

  2646. #2646JPV2019-09-21 19:58

    Look at the size of those fuel lines on that gas pot! It burns so much fuel it takes 2 distributors to get it to fire!

  2647. #2647Truck Shop2019-09-21 20:09

    Twin ignition was very common years ago on the old large gas pots especially if they were a multi-fuel engine. Compression wasn't real high ratio in those old machines.

  2648. #2648mitch5042019-09-21 20:45

    A spare. You wouldn't want to be in the process of saving someones life and your points went out. The old fire trucks had dual ignition, dual starters, and any thing else they could make redundant.

  2649. #2649Truck Shop2019-09-21 21:02

    In some cases that is true, but it really depended on how rich the city or county was that was buying it or how cheap they were.

  2650. #2650crane operator2019-09-21 21:37

    so- because I'm a young whippersnapper and don't know- how do you time a dual distributor engine? Do you adjust each distributor independently with the timing mark and with the other distributor disconnected from the coil? And then hope for the best?

  2651. #2651Truck Shop2019-09-21 22:09

    Three ways actually, Once dwell is set on both distributors you can do it as you described or by setting the crank at what ever degree before or after TDC that is required and use a test light connected to the point side and set it where the light just comes on that's static timing. Or get them close using static timing and set them running with a light. The funny thing is just using a test light and timing statically is very accurate. If you recheck a statically timed engine with a light it will be right on the money given the distributor is in good shape.

  2652. #2652DMiller2019-09-22 07:51

    Set Fire Truck dual distributors on gasoline Mack IH and a 1951 V12 Lycoming Pattern LaFrance engine And yes a test light worked well Was for allowance to be on scene where engine could stumble could swap Ign 1-2 and not miss a beat. Surprised they did not bother to clean off the cob webs around those old zenith gas buckets! Still prefer old wagons to newer Have a class all their own

  2653. #2653DMiller2019-09-22 14:32

    BTW seeing a Mack Magnadyne Gas engine same pattern as the old Thermodynes with a Carb throat almost big enough to swallow a hand is still impressive. Old Mack gassers would chow down on gasoline, half the mileage of a Thermodyne.

  2654. #2654RZucker2019-09-22 19:59

    Tailored torque was big injectors, the right turbo, and a set of spring washers on the governor that limited full fuel until the engine was lugged all the way down to 1300 rpm. Detroit Diesel called that "Constant Horsepower"... as the rpm would drop, the torque would rise. You really had to beat that concept into the driver's heads or it would not work. It was very similar to the Cummins "Formula" engine concept. If it doesn't lug... It wont work. Met many a screaming driver that swore those engines HAD to run at 2100 to pull hills. Many of them were introduced to alternate employment opportunities when they bucked against management.

  2655. #2655DMiller2019-09-22 20:13

    The 92 in mine would torque pretty consistent to 14/1500 Had to to make gear ranges on the 10 speed 15

  2656. #2656Truck Shop2019-09-22 20:18

    I knew you would have the TT answer RZ. I liked to think TT stands for Tourist Trophy-Isle of Mann cycle racing.

  2657. #2657Truck Shop2019-09-22 20:40

    Back to fire trucks and redundant parts. The whole concept of all the added crap was really silly because of all the added maintenance. Fire trucks were lucky to see 500 miles in a year. The engines were checked over on tune on a very frequent basis. They were and are a very over maintained piece of equipment because of the job that's required of them. Trucks that ran over the road with twin ignition were a pain in the *** years ago. The worst problem for any of those old gas Pots was the batteries and ****** charging systems. Even the single distributor engines really had little trouble when kept in-tune. The one item that often was over looked was the condenser, when those took a dump the points were fried. The dead give away the condenser was toast was it would idle smooth, put a load against it and they would misfire and shake like a dog sh!ting peach seeds. The coils were easy to trouble shoot, most would get so hot you couldn't touch it plus it was pushing oil out the seam.

  2658. #2658Birken Vogt2019-09-22 21:07

    The real deal with fire trucks is that each one only carries 2 or 3 guys unless in the big city. In any case they send lots of them to any serious call and only need a few to pump water or whatever, the rest are 20 ton crew vans. So if one breaks down you just grab another one. Good firemen adopt the Marine motto, adapt improvise and overcome. Fire trucks are also not known for their wonderful construction otherwise. They are a step above recreational vehicles but not much. You always have to be ready for one to fail in one way or another.

  2659. #2659Truck Shop2019-09-22 22:01

    By golly your honest there BV. I have only worked on a few and always thought fire trucks were not all that well constructed and not meant to be worked on.

  2660. #2660DMiller2019-09-23 17:13

    Mack made the MB into a fire truck chassis, so brilliant in extending the early cabs then DELETING the cab tip over, had to access like a 1930s truck thru Dog House Hatches, SUCKED!!

  2661. #2661Truck Shop2019-09-23 20:40

    Now that we are on the subject of fire trucks. This Mack is serial 1001 the first one made out of maybe two. It originally was bought and used by the Montecito Fire Dept in Calif.

  2662. #2662DMiller2019-09-24 08:39

    Surprised that Suicide door machine has not been snatched up by a antique rebuilder.

  2663. #2663Mother Deuce2019-09-24 18:38

    Geez that would be a cool ride. I need to find a donor one ton... need to make some top bows... little paint

  2664. #2664Truck Shop2019-09-24 20:53

    Here's one that's straight with no redundant stuff and very low miles.

  2665. #2665DMiller2019-09-24 21:32

    Nice old Corn Queen

  2666. #2666RZucker2019-09-24 21:52

    I love those old K-models. Grew up in the 60's riding around in Grandad's K-10 (?) dumps and the Lowboy tractor burning tons of gasoline. He always said "if you are worried about the gas bill, you're not bidding the jobs right" In '72 the K tandem tractor got replaced with a '52 Pete with a 262 Cummins... First big truck I got to drive... In the yard.

  2667. #2667colson042019-09-28 16:19

    Saw this little gem on the side of the road this morning about an hour north of me. No information other than what I saw. Nobody was around the place either to ask questions.

  2668. #2668colson042019-09-28 16:24

    The rest...

  2669. #2669Truck Shop2019-09-28 16:30

    Because it is a REO it's pre-1967 I'm betting 64 or 65.

  2670. #2670mowingman2019-09-28 18:28

    The old Reo Gold Comet trucks were very popular as ready mix trucks down here in Texas. I had one once, that we converted into a water truck. As I recall, ours had a big old International gas engine in it. I can not tell for sure what kind of gas engine this one has in the picture.

  2671. #2671RZucker2019-09-28 20:36

    In high school I worked for a truck repair shop that had an old REO that looked just like that one with a huge old home built wrecker on the back. It was repowered with a Chevy 427, ran pretty good. Seems the story was it was originally powered with a 6V53 Detroit.

  2672. #2672DMiller2019-09-28 21:57

    Does not look to be IHC power, more White in appearance, Two studs thru Valve Cover for tie downs. Holley 2bbl sitting sideways is different and seems to be leaking water everywhere or rain leaks.

  2673. #2673colson042019-09-28 22:23

    It was raining when I stopped and got pics. We picked up 1.5" last night.

  2674. #2674Old Doug2019-09-29 11:42

    Was it REO or White that could be ordered with a chevy engine?

  2675. #2675RZucker2019-09-29 20:19

    I don't recall that option. REO made a pretty good V-8 of their own for awhile. I think it was around 440 CI and had a pretty good reputation. I think White used it too. Then there was what they called the Giesel… a gas engine built on a diesel block. I think the base engine was the 504 Cummins V8, that would be a winner, Right?

  2676. #2676DMiller2019-09-29 20:35

    I do remember that V8 in a Reo at one truck service I worked for, old truck was derelict and sat on a back lot but the engine was visible, gas and roughly the same appearance as a 504/555 with spark plug wires into the valve covers like a Hemi. I do not remember a GM furnished engine.

  2677. #2677RZucker2019-09-29 20:39

    That could be it. I have a 1967 construction magazine somewhere that has a 2 page REO?/Diamond REO ad with pics of that engine.

  2678. #2678DB22019-09-29 21:17

    https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=104&acctid=1510 Somewhat on topic

  2679. #2679RZucker2019-09-29 21:22

    I think that is the military multi-fueler minus carb for gasoline.

  2680. #2680DB22019-09-29 21:38

    I had never seen the White logo on an engine before

  2681. #2681JPV2019-09-29 21:59

    I found an old engine block in the woods, it said White Super Power on it. I doubt that would fly these days!

  2682. #2682Birken Vogt2019-09-29 22:30

    I think I told that story on here about some firemen who were forced to take an old derelict fire truck to the LA riots and it said that on the side of the hood except "White" was across the middle and super was above it and power was below it. Also said fire truck was painted white. When they got there the bosses found some work for them where their emblems would not be noticed by the local constituency.

  2683. #2683crane operator2019-09-29 22:35

    https://tulsa.craigslist.org/grd/d/muskogee-1964-mack-61-dump-truck/6986082468.html DMiller- your dump truck got finished too soon, you could have had this. $6,400, over in junkyard's neck of the woods.

  2684. #2684crane operator2019-09-29 22:37

    Ad says fuller 10 speed, but its got two sticks, so I think the seller may be confused? Roof doesn't look near as nice as TruckShop's either.

  2685. #2685DMiller2019-09-30 07:52

    Old Duplex bulldog box, a little rough around the edges with normal Bonda spots showing out. Definitely NOT worth $6400 do not care how well that bed works, might be worth $1400 where that will be sitting a while longer!!! The Hot Start can in the floor is a Dead Giveaway engine is weak. As to the White Crate Engine, that I would also expect is a Military Multi Fuel and is a derivative of the old Mustang 6 engine. The Mustang is where I had seen the Center stud mounted valve cover as this one has.

  2686. #2686Old Doug2019-09-30 19:51

    I can remember seeing at least 3 REOs or White cabovers with chevy engines one was owned by a guy in town he told me it had a big block chevy and when i drove by it i could see its did. One time going to Kc i meet a guy driveing one that had a small block chevy. I saw one forsale that had a 327 in it witch would have been wright for the year it was. This made me think they came out with chevy engines but i have repowered 2 fords with GM engines so maybe they were repowered. I can remember alot about them but i cant remember exactly if they were REOS or whites.

  2687. #2687gtermini2019-10-01 12:02

    https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/monroe-1949-peterbilt/6986464999.html Nice old Pete. Hope it finds a new caretaker.

  2688. #2688DMiller2019-10-01 14:12

    Sweet, so austere and simple, just a Truck, a very Pretty Truck.

  2689. #2689Truck Shop2019-10-01 19:08
  2690. #2690Truck Shop2019-10-01 19:56

    Guess what powers this KW.

  2691. #2691DMiller2019-10-01 19:58

    Turbine!! Man had not seen a Coast To Coast in like FOREVER!

  2692. #2692Birken Vogt2019-10-01 20:25

    I had no idea turbines were tried in trucks. I knew they were used in locomotives but costs drove them out. What year was that taken, what fuel did it burn, why was it being tried, and how did it pan out? Also, how loud was it?

  2693. #2693Truck Shop2019-10-01 20:34

    Late 50's early 60's, cat ****, because ralph and george the designers were trying to keep there jobs, ralph and george both lost there jobs, everyone who drove it lost their hearing, actually there isn't much info on it.

  2694. #2694RZucker2019-10-01 21:04

    Kenworth was a big player in the Turbine game, they even tried one out in a Seattle fire truck, it wasn't very popular due to the time it took to spool it up but it was pretty fast. Freightliner played with them too, one of their problems was the Turbine ingesting exhaust gas in tunnels that caused a backfire type event and flamed out the Turbine. And fuel (kerosene) consumption was the big downfall to the whole thing.

  2695. #2695Truck Shop2019-10-01 21:17

    IIRC Kenworth only experimented with five, one being the fire truck. The irony of a fire truck with a turbine. Freightliners endeavor was even smaller I believe. People thought a large Hall Scott ate gas, it was a miser compared to the turbines. And yes starting out was a real let down, very slow.

  2696. #2696petepilot2019-10-01 22:53

    gm had a rather wild looking one also about 64/ 65 ----- guess it was 66. pictures and stories at macs motor city garage, can`t get a link to work

  2697. #2697RZucker2019-10-01 23:17

    Ford had a futuristic Turbine truck around that same era too. Looked like a motorhome with a semi trailer.

  2698. #2698petepilot2019-10-02 00:46

    ford story is at macs also. I had a first hand look at the gm being shown at a chev. dealer in fairfax va many yrs ago . with the screwy steering setup they had i wonder just how controlable that thing would have been on snow&ice

  2699. #2699Mother Deuce2019-10-02 03:36

    LOL! Seeing how it looks like a Coast Transport ride... the image probably show whats left of the basement of the 220 after the last shot of either heading up the hill!

  2700. #2700DMiller2019-10-02 08:01

    Can still remember the Clictrons we had to install to keep drivers from using the Hot Start systems as a Booster!! Small nasty little temp sensor inline with the power wire, engine or outside temps too warm, not getting any extra Juice!!

  2701. #2701DMiller2019-10-02 08:10

    Turbines tried in most every mode of transit. Not so great thru a gear train for as noted the Spool up and need for a reduction gear to get the mass moving, on the locomotives they ran generators where still ran electric motors to the rail wheels. Big problem there was shock loading(Bounce) which caused turbine side shift and incidental housing contact damage along with fuel consumption where at High altitudes worked better, low elevations sucked fuel like a sewer. Great for planes crap for road duty.

  2702. #2702Truck Shop2019-10-02 18:50

    At the time when Turbines were being fiddled with and tested for road use, one has to remember-The Jettsons was the cartoon at the time with their dog Astro.

  2703. #2703crane operator2019-10-02 20:34

    Only land units with turbines I know of, are the abrams tanks. I remember reading their fuel usage specs when they were in Iraq and they need LOTS of fuel. The logistics of moving a armored unit is much more centered around fuel provisions, than pushing back enemy units.

  2704. #2704RZucker2019-10-02 20:40

    I used to wire those injectors so they could only be activated when the starter was cranking. Usually off the crank side of the relay back to the button.

  2705. #2705RZucker2019-10-02 20:48

    Anybody remember these things? It's a test

  2706. #2706Truck Shop2019-10-02 21:10

    If IIRC one time one time only

  2707. #2707RZucker2019-10-02 21:17

    Mechanical shutterstat in the lower tank of a '75 KW. No shutters, I put a Horton fan clutch on it 3-4 years ago.

  2708. #2708petepilot2019-10-02 21:51

    i`ve got a 75 ih gaspot here with a shutter setup similar to that

  2709. #2709Truck Shop2019-10-03 05:00

    You answered too fast RZ, DM would have been on that like a bad smell. Twenty years ago the place I worked at had a 74 W900 that had the same setup. It sat for a long spell over winter and wasn't used until it was 100 degrees out. It was a fertilizer ten wheeler, the linkage became frozen, shutters didn't open and overheated real bad like.

  2710. #2710DMiller2019-10-03 06:19

    HAHAHA!! TS thanks for the rub! And yes Had I seen it prior to this morning might have been first on!!

  2711. #2711Truck Shop2019-10-06 20:39

    A heavy one.

  2712. #2712RZucker2019-10-06 20:48

    I bet the chains and binders alone would be more than SuperFord can handle.

  2713. #2713mowingman2019-10-06 21:46

    EVERYTHING is BIG in Texas.

  2714. #2714Truck Shop2019-11-07 21:59

    Almost forgot! Yesterday while on a tow to Durkee Ore actually just past Weatherby I saw one of these on a trailer headed west on I-84, a High Binder but not as good looking as this one.

  2715. #2715crane operator2019-11-07 22:14

    Ran across this last week when we were lifting a boat in a storage/repair yard.

  2716. #2716DMiller2019-11-08 14:55

    Someone was trying to make it appear better, a little better prep for paint would have gone a long way. Looks to have had a PTO or still does with the level by the shifters. Roto Chambers ICK!! but at least NOT Wedges. And Good old Guinea Green!! Edit, by Rail damage, an old Mixer truck.

  2717. #2717RZucker2019-11-08 15:29

    Most of those old Macks were built for Roto-chambers, if you switch to diaphragm types that fit you can lose a little braking power. I went through that on some old M-123 10 tons trying to put maxi cans on them.

  2718. #2718Birken Vogt2019-11-08 15:57

    Are roto-chambers still available?

  2719. #2719Truck Shop2019-11-08 18:25

    https://www.traction.com/en/brake-system-parts/air-brake-systems/rotochambers/c/hvpditemtype_330530

  2720. #2720Tenwheeler2019-11-08 18:39

    Florida truck and still hauling.

  2721. #2721Truck Shop2019-11-08 19:19

    That's a nice one Tenwheeler.

  2722. #27221693TA2019-11-08 21:07

    Probably a late 1950's edition given the long power divider, cast trunion stand, 34K rear spring suspension, and thin 1/4" frame rails. The B-42 series had either a Mack EN-401, or EN-402 engine, (same engine, flathead six) which were very reliable, severely under powered, and drank gasoline like there was no tomorrow. Truck does have the heavier front axle as uses the flat hub caps that were embossed "Mack" rather than the spin on type hub cover that looked like an oil filter. Wagner "Power Amplifyer" chambers were just as common as the Bendix "Rotochamber" was on the B series Macks of the era. Both are equal in braking force of a modern Type 20 service chamber of modern design. Both the aforementioned types however were smaller in diameter than the more modern service chambers of today. Both of the former are cost prohibitive to work with these days with a diaphragm for the rotochamber design being over a hundred dollars and an O ring kit for the Wagner design being about the same. The Wagner design used an aluminum piston which corroded internally to the bore, (shell) rendering it useless once they began to stick which was common. Air dryers were not common on trucks when these were normal installed equipment and they did suffer from it. Depending upon the type of rear brake spiders installed is a decision to which modern chamber you can retrofit onto the existing mounts. If an SWDL-56 34K series rear suspension you are limited to type 20 service chambers. These are thick aluminum casting brake spiders. The steel spiders can have type 24/24 spring brake chambers installed but the clearance to the tire is close and you would not want to operate off road with them as the mud will pack between the chamber and tire. You can retrofit a more modern, (early R model) brake spider to the existing axle housing by machining a 1/2" spacer block to mount between the axle flange and brake spider and mount type 30/30 chambers too. That takes the spiders themselves, four spacers each drilled with eight 5/8" holes for mounting, and of course the chambers. All from memory which is fading fast so take it for what it's worth but I've been around that task a time or two.....

  2723. #272392U 34062019-11-22 12:49

    @Truck Shop I see all these cool drawings you do. I don't suppose you could offer some advice on how to draw? I'd love to try and draw some of my dad's old trucks but I just don't know how to begin.

  2724. #2724Truck Shop2019-11-22 21:42

    Wow that is a difficult question to answer. Remember there is a left side right side brain pattern to start with. One thing when it comes to free hand art is getting use to looking at everything from a perspective opposite from everyone around you. I know for a fact other artist that do work along the same borders as mine see or find them selves constantly seeing things with acute and obtuse angles. For instance when I look at vehicle I look at all angles plus curves at the same time and make mental notes of rivets and just how many. Small items become mental measuring points stored away in my small brain. If I look at a building I'm looking at it solely using acute and obtuse angles. Hell I find myself watching TV and I'm lining things up while I'm watching, something I just automatically do and can't stop. When I start a drawing I'm probably one of only one that draws the way I do according to other artist, I'm a total odd ball and everyone says so. I start a layout with 4H or 5H pencil but the odd thing that I do and apparently no one else does is I start with the front wheel and work three angles at once. In other words front wheel first then in this order, bumper, fender opening, grill, top of hood, top of fender, center of windshield then sides, visor, top and back of cab, air cleaner, door and mirror, fuel tank, right front wheel then rear wheels and quarter fenders. And that's a fairly detailed layout the way I want it. Then I go over it with free hand in ink using {Pigma Micron Pens or Faber Castell Pitt pens that come in shades of gray. The best thing to practice first is just drawing circles and ovals and straight lines free hand. Then start drawing ovals using a mental vanishing point, I never use a real vanishing point using a ruler, because although it is a true vanishing point realistically no one sees it that way. It's all practice-hand-eye coordination making the pencil do what's in your mind. I will finish by saying what I do in ink has to be right the first time, there is no eraser. Hope that helps if no I can give you some other ideas too.

  2725. #272592U 34062019-11-23 00:27

    Thank you! I've never been much good at drawing. But then again I never really tried. Guess the only way to get good at something is to try it. Definitely appreciate you taking the time to write all that out!

  2726. #2726Theweldor2019-11-23 18:54

    Well, However you do it - You do an excellent job at it. I am not an artist. I just draw flies!! LOL

  2727. #2727Truck Shop2019-11-23 19:04

    Well! Didn't your mother tell you that drawing flies is a art all to it's self. Thanks for the compliment.

  2728. #2728RZucker2019-11-23 19:12

    I am by no means a freehand artist, but I can get out the drafting tools and create a design for a piece of equipment I am asked to build.

  2729. #2729Truck Shop2019-11-23 19:13

    Don't say you've never been much good at drawing if you never really tried. You will talk yourself out of the idea before you even get started. Get some paper and pencil and draw the coffee cup in front of you {if you drink coffee}. There is always a cup in front of me. A coffee cup has all the angles built into it to make a good practice piece.

  2730. #2730Truck Shop2019-11-23 19:16

    I had two years drafting class in high school. I told the teach once-i can freehand that bolt to scale damn near-in a fourth the time. He wasn't impressed but he did agree.

  2731. #2731DIYDAVE2019-11-23 21:26

    A local community college or senior center will likely have intro art classes, very cheap, or free. With any luck at all, you can sign up for drawing nudes, the hell with mechanical drawing, after a little practice on T&A, everything else, is EASY!

  2732. #2732Truck Shop2019-11-24 07:30

    How do you know everything else is easy?

  2733. #2733Mother Deuce2019-11-24 07:35
  2734. #2734Mother Deuce2019-11-24 07:38

    Throwing in an extra like from Deb. Who read your reply over my shoulder and say's she always with an eye.

  2735. #2735kshansen2019-11-24 08:06

    I'm always amazed at the skills someone like TS has. Especially for myself who has a rough time drawing a straight line using a ruler at times! It's the same with people who can write songs. Heard someone asking a young song writer once about how she comes up with her songs. Her reply was "Simple, I just think about something I want to say and write down a verse and then think of some thing that rhymes with it and just keep going till I'm finished with what I wanted to say!" Another is some of the athletes in Olympic Gymnastics like Simon Biles there are times I think she would be in trouble if she ever took a class in physics and learned the truth about gravity!

  2736. #2736Birken Vogt2019-11-24 10:56

    People think the same about us mechanics. We think our work is greasy and dirty but the right customers appreciate it because they feel they could never do it. Maybe the aptitude really is a gift, or maybe they just didn't try hard enough, or maybe their dad was not patient enough letting them wreck his lawn mower over and over when they were a kid.

  2737. #2737kshansen2019-11-24 11:05

    I have often wondered why the next door neighbor let me do some of the repairs on his cars he drove to work back when I was still in high school! I never had any formal training but he had me do a brake job one time and another time one of his cars had a problem with the column shifter. The tube that the levers connected to was cracked. I did not have a welder but one of the guys my dad worked with I knew had one so I removed the shift tube and drove over to his house and had him tack weld it together came back and installed it.

  2738. #2738Mother Deuce2019-11-24 12:04

    I need to take a proof reading class... read that “starts with an eye”.

  2739. #273992U 34062019-11-24 12:09

    I can't find anything like that around here lol.

  2740. #2740Truck Shop2019-11-24 13:29

    And you left out one very important detail there DIYDAVE. Not all the models are women and most guys get a little uncomfortable looking at another male that's only wearing speedo's for several hours. Especially if he weighs 350 lbs which is common now days in the modeling field. What do you think about that Dave.

  2741. #2741DMiller2019-11-24 16:29

    Now THAT is a Ugly thought!!!!

  2742. #2742DIYDAVE2019-11-24 20:46

    Party pooper!

  2743. #2743Hank R2019-11-24 21:31

    Up at Williams Lake BC this summer, send to me by a friend.

  2744. #2744Truck Shop2019-11-24 21:32

    Best you find out now because I figured you would sign up for art class and be scared for life with that bad vision.

  2745. #2745old-iron-habit2019-11-24 23:08

    Damn man, I was about to eat supper. Lost my apatite.

  2746. #2746Truck Shop2019-11-25 05:54

    Hank is that a 73 or 75 Mack in that photo?--------------And there's Dave Millers favorite International setting center stage.

  2747. #2747Hank R2019-11-25 07:59

    Do not know as I am not a Mack guy, this picture may help you.

  2748. #2748kshansen2019-11-25 10:26

    Didn't the R and DM models come out in the mid `60's to replace the B models? Seems when I started at the quarry in 1968 that is what they had for stocking trucks.

  2749. #2749DMiller2019-11-25 13:00

    IIRC the R/DM came out in 66 or 67, the B was ended same time. R IHC, still uglier than the dirt hauled!!

  2750. #2750RZucker2019-11-25 18:18

    Check out the IH "S" model converted to a forklift (?) A lot like some of the hay squeeze loaders around here.

  2751. #2751RZucker2019-11-25 18:25

    Saw a '67 R700 sitting next to a B61 once, looked like everything from the cab mounts down was nearly interchangeable. Stupid me… I was offered the R700 for $800, Had a 350HP Mack engine with actual Jakes, 3 stick 10 speed and all Mack running gear. It was pretty straight but had some serious cab rust. Oh well, at the time I did not need a project.

  2752. #2752kshansen2019-11-25 19:50

    Missed that one on the first look!

  2753. #2753Truck Shop2019-11-25 20:29

    B models ended in 1966 and the R models started in 1966 and built in Hayward, Calif. which I always liked that fact-built on the west coast. This turd below is a early 67. It belonged to the Ag place I worked at before my current job. Cummins powered with 5x4 and SQHD's on Hendrickson beam biscuit. The hood is not original.

  2754. #2754RZucker2019-11-25 20:33

    Sinner spud beds on those critters.

  2755. #2755Truck Shop2019-11-25 20:41

    Actually those are Walla Walla Sweet Onion beds, that's the only thing that's been in them.

  2756. #2756Blocker in MS2019-11-25 22:18
  2757. #2757Truck Shop2019-11-26 03:45

    Nice old PeterCar but one thing I see that's not good is the top of cab where the panels meet, it's not tight around those rivets so there is corrosion under there lifting the skin.

  2758. #2758DMiller2019-11-26 06:17

    Air Horn systems have corrosion as well TS, typical for old Petes for some reason. Pot metal(Cast Aluminum) and aluminum skin interaction to the steel fasteners? Body men I have known used to add a liquid Seam Sealer to Freightliner Pete and sections of KW Cab repair re-skins along riveted joints, is that still done?

  2759. #2759Truck Shop2019-11-26 18:42

    That's still done but I've found using Bostik 1100 works the best of anything. Once down it won't leak plus it's stuck-for good in some cases.

  2760. #2760petepilot2019-11-26 18:48

    aluma seal == brand name theres also a double sided sticky tape for the same purpose don`t know the name of that

  2761. #2761Blocker in MS2019-11-27 19:02

    WOW! http://www.auctiontime.com/onlineauctions/details.aspx?OHID=123543593&lp=TRK&bcatid=27

  2762. #2762Truck Shop2019-11-27 19:05

    With five recall notices setting on my shop desk for the 2018-19 Freightliner Cascadia's the company owns and the many other problems, I have the boss looking at five Kenworth T990's. Powered with X15 Cummins 525 hp 2000 ftlb torque with Watson Chalen drop axles and 14,600 lb steer axle with latest Rockwell drives, not sure on Eaton Autoshift or 2050 torque rated manual 13spd. Photo below of the T990, I always lean towards the 900 series.

  2763. #2763Truck Shop2019-11-27 19:11

    I saw that jimmy advertised before, and really wonder on the actual mileage. Why and how is the paint gone off the GMC on the grill cap plus other things.

  2764. #2764petepilot2019-11-27 19:14

    the seller hit a homer on that one

  2765. #2765Mother Deuce2019-11-27 19:18

    You are not kidding! I owned one of those in the late 80's. The grill fell out of it going down the highway. That was how the rest of that party went. I wouldn't have taken that wreckage home if it was free!

  2766. #2766RZucker2019-11-27 19:25

    Did you ever see that fleet of Generals Fiori Brothers used on the I-182 project in Tri Cities? Did not take too long to turn them into junk. I went to the RB auction when they sold them off... Grilles were the least of the issues I saw.

  2767. #2767RZucker2019-11-27 19:31

    After owning a GMC 9500 for 290,000 miles I can launch into a loooong diatribe about using automotive components in a class 8 truck... NO BUENO. I should have taken an ex boss's advice... "If they build cars or combines, I don't want their truck".

  2768. #2768Truck Shop2019-11-27 19:54

    He didn't a homer much as he found the perfect sucker or the perfect sucker found him. That almost sounds gross!

  2769. #2769petepilot2019-11-27 20:11

    the unseeing found by the unknowing

  2770. #2770Birken Vogt2019-11-27 21:13

    Probably nostalgia for something that is rare nowadays. That is kind of how I feel about Detroit 2-cycles. Back in the day we would have rather it been a Cat or Cummins if we had something with a Detroit in it. Detroit was the base option, the others were extra money. But nowadays people are nostalgic about the noise and smoke and leaks.

  2771. #2771Truck Shop2019-11-27 21:32

    BV that seems more like a John Deere with handle bars your talking about than a Detroit, {John Deere with handle bars is also know as a Harley Davidson} No offense meant to The Harley owners.

  2772. #2772crane operator2019-11-28 09:03

    How much more $ to go to the Kenworth over the freightliner? The manual is probably less electronic issues than the auto, but I could see in his boots, its easier to find drivers for the auto's. Then again, it may act like a sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak, you don't end up with drivers who can't drive unless its a auto. I saw one of those 990's up close a while back, it was a sharp looking truck.

  2773. #2773Truck Shop2019-11-28 13:29

    Believe it or not the price is fairly close, one has has to look at the down time verses price plus resale value. Four will more than likely be Eaton Auto Shift and one manual for a driver that has been there for 22 years. The constant issues popping up and trucks in the shop for warranty work well the price becomes a smaller issue as time goes by. It's another part of my job spec-ing tractors and trailers.

  2774. #2774Mother Deuce2019-11-28 15:09

    I would like something in a 1982 W900, 20,000 front, Duplex steers, Double steel frame 238 maybe 40, Steerable drop, Hendrickson extended leaf, 46,000 Eaton Lockers, 6 foot sliding fifth wheel plate, Holland fifth wheel on high mounts, 11R24.5's, 3408, 18 spd, 2 spd aux, VIT cab, walk through (need room for my lunch) small rear window, dual vortox, dual stacks, Protech Cab guard with racks, window cut out and retractable oversize load sign. Tell your boss I'll try to squeeze out another 22 years

  2775. #2775Truck Shop2019-11-28 17:08

    Well MD you have quite a list there, We only gross 98 with a top net of 59 and some change. I can't do most of that because it would effect the net, but how about Kenworth's top of the line interior, X15 Cummins with 600 hp and 2050 lbs of torque with a RTLO-20513A rated at 2050 on torque, with 3.73 ratio Rockwells on 46,000 lb air ride. 60" mid roof with TV. WC 13,000 lb drop. But only 75/295-22.5 rubber on full polished wheels and tanks, with Twice Pipes. and Kenworths best $2000.00 drivers set. And one locker on the rear with a 270 WB. It will flat run away from a 08. And damn near anything else you might have to pass . as long as you don't go over 75 for more than three minutes, or you will set the camera on it's lid . Fargo or Denver.

  2776. #2776Mother Deuce2019-11-28 17:18

    I have a soft spot for the Glenwood Canyon... I reckon we'd be going to Denver )

  2777. #2777petepilot2019-11-28 17:24

    tell the boss that if he get one with a 13 I`ll come out and drive it for 8 days for free

  2778. #2778Truck Shop2019-11-28 17:31

    OR-you can have a extremely modified 1960 B model, I will pull what's in it now and install a X15 same specs, I have all ready found a place for a charge air cooler. But it would only have a 60" flat top.

  2779. #2779petepilot2019-11-28 17:48

    I believe I`d do that one to if it were all legal .no need for for an x15

  2780. #2780Truck Shop2019-11-28 17:59

    Oh it will be all legal and pass any inspection.----But If it had a X15 don't tell me you wouldn't drive it?

  2781. #2781RZucker2019-11-28 18:20

    I would drive that one with a 4-71 Detroit in it... You just have to look good to be a truck driver.

  2782. #2782Truck Shop2019-11-28 18:25

    Well RZ I guess you will just have to settle for what it's got now, the BC II 400 sightly juiced. You will take it for a spin first then Darryl.

  2783. #2783petepilot2019-11-28 18:38

    did`nt say I would`nt drive it just that its not necessary

  2784. #2784Truck Shop2019-11-28 18:43

    Oh it's all necessary out here in the west.

  2785. #2785Truck Shop2019-11-28 21:19

    Time for some good old fashioned Peterbilt photo's, two of my favorites.

  2786. #2786Blocker in MS2019-11-28 22:01

    Here is one you all might like. http://www.truckpaper.com/ListingsDetail/Detail.aspx?lp=TRK&OHID=153453251 I do not think I would ever get the shift pattern down.

  2787. #2787RZucker2019-11-28 23:18

    It wouldn't take long to get used to it. I've driven several old Fuller 5 spds that had strange shift patterns. Most were backed up with a 4 spd auxiliary box, some you had to be careful not to get the sticks twisted together or you would be on the side of the road sorting things out.

  2788. #2788funwithfuel2019-11-28 23:42

    A little off topic here. Started watching the Irishman on Netflix. Good show so far, lots of history. There's some beautiful old iron both cars and trucks rolling around in this show.

  2789. #2789Truck Shop2019-11-29 07:09

    Just remember-don't shift the main box until your done shifting the brownie on the up shifts, same on the way down but you can skip a few.

  2790. #2790Blocker in MS2019-11-29 21:21

    This is the only kind of I can get used to. I guess you guys are going to look down on me from now on

  2791. #2791Truck Shop2019-11-29 21:32

    A mans got to do what a mans got to do-it all pays

  2792. #2792Blocker in MS2019-11-29 21:47

    I sure do like your stories and pictures. There is only one old early to mid 1960’s yellow KW that you get to see around here. I sure admire you all finding this old stuff in the weeds.

  2793. #2793Blocker in MS2019-11-29 21:53

    Come to think of it, there are two heavy haul trucks sitting around. One is owned by sawmill, the other is whole different story. The other is a KW I believe. It is in a small town on the MS/AL line. I asked a man from there what such a truck was doing sitting around. He told me that the man that owned it used to be in the clearing business back in the 40’s or 50’s. Turns out he and his brothers built the first KG blade and one of them marketed the idea.

  2794. #2794Truck Shop2019-11-30 20:31

    Like these oldies.

  2795. #2795Truck Shop2019-12-01 18:56

    Some severe duty Autocars.

  2796. #2796Blocker in MS2019-12-01 19:03

    I sure like the older trucks without so much chrome. The painted tanks and bumpers sure look better.

  2797. #2797Hank R2019-12-01 19:32

    Fall of 2016 Parksville BC with my gran son.

  2798. #2798RZucker2019-12-01 19:36

    Isn't that one at the bottom originally a Gerosa truck with a 1710 Cummins? They had that one and a huge Mack with a 12V71. Pulled Goldhofer drawbar trailers mostly.

  2799. #2799Truck Shop2019-12-01 19:41

    Correct

  2800. #2800Cody danos2019-12-01 20:56

    here you go. Mack m45 with a 16v71

  2801. #2801Hank R2019-12-01 22:44
  2802. #2802Hank R2019-12-02 08:25
  2803. #2803kshansen2019-12-02 18:39

    Those pictures of the Off-highway Macks sure bring back some memories! The company had a wide range of those at various quarries in a few states back in the day. Everything from the little M-15's which were built with rear axles similar to what they used in the DM-800 five speed Maxi-Torque transmissions and I believe ENDT-865 V-8 engines. Then we had 3 or 4 M-30's with NT-855 Cummins and CLBT 56400 Allisons. Then Some M-35 with KT1150 Cummins and CLBT 5860 Allisons. Then a couple M-50's with 16V-71 and I believe thos had the CLBT-6061 Allisons. And the biggest in New York State were the M-65's with the 8000 series Allisons. May have missed one or two in there, or got engine models and transmission models a bit off, been a few years! I do recall there was one truck that had a Allison 750 series transmission we figured that was built to the price point for someone as I believe it was mated to a KT-1150 rated at the same horse power as the maximum that transmission was rated to handle! Those M-30 were "fun ones" to work on as they had direct mount transmissions, real fun when it came time to pull the transmission. The trick we came up with to lower them was first roll the windows down on the cab doors. Then slide a good solid railroad tie through the doors. Fabricate a lifting bracket to the top of transmission. Put jack under rear of engine. Hook chain jack between the railroad tie and lifting bracket to hold weight while unbolting the mounting plates that went from rear of transmission to rear of engine on each side. Remove the hand hole cover on front side of flywheel housing at the bottom and remove one flex plate bolt at a time, turn to get access to next bolt and repeat till all 12 bolts were out. Then proceed to remove something like 21 7/16 bolts that held the transmission to the flywheel. Almost forgot, have to remove shift linkage, top mount PTO and rear drive shaft! Now the fun work starts, hook another chain jack to the rear yoke of transmission and the rear axle. Then have a small guy who could fit through the window holes in the door crawl in the cab to work one chain jack to support the transmission while another guy works the other chain jack to pull the transmission back while the guy in cab slowly lowers the transmission to the ground being careful to not let the ring gear teeth, yes ring gear is part of the transmission, not gouge up the gasket surface of the flywheel housing. Almost more fun going in because you have to be even more careful of the transmission to flywheel housing gasket or you might have to do all this a second time!

  2804. #2804Truck Shop2019-12-02 18:52

    I have posted these before of Lampson Cranes heavy movers, one of them is custom built by Lampson. Photos I took a little over a year ago.

  2805. #2805Truck Shop2019-12-02 18:53

    And some of their custom built lowboys

  2806. #2806RZucker2019-12-02 19:13

    Nice truck, but the Mack I was thinking of matched the Autocar, I think it had a modified L series cab.

  2807. #2807Hank R2019-12-02 19:36
  2808. #2808Cody danos2019-12-02 20:28

    Were you thinking about the lrvsw? Gerosa only had one of these. V12 Cummins. Nvh-1200 I believe

  2809. #2809RZucker2019-12-02 20:32

    That's the one, I read somewhere that when it was restored in the 80's (?) it was repowered with a 12V71.

  2810. #2810Truck Shop2019-12-02 21:09

    Nice A-Car, not my photo.

  2811. #2811Cody danos2019-12-02 21:36

    Last I had read the lrvsw was repowered with a KT and was owned by Marino and then Barnhart bought out Marino. But who knows............ The one I wonder about is the Hendrickson 360. Last I had seen they were owned by lampson, but that was a while ago

  2812. #2812Truck Shop2019-12-03 07:34

    If Lampson owns a Hendrickson it is at their Texas facility, there are none in the Pasco, Wa. facility that I have ever seen .

  2813. #2813Truck Shop2019-12-03 21:16

    Dandy recovery machines. One is a 74 Dodge Big Horn.

  2814. #2814DB22019-12-03 21:34

    Doesn’t look like there’s much that last Autocar couldn’t handle.

  2815. #2815DB22019-12-03 21:49

    I’ve always liked this Oshkosh named Ugly. Talk about a set back axle. Not my picture

  2816. #2816Hank R2019-12-04 12:44
  2817. #2817DMiller2019-12-04 16:49

    Love historic machines, are what made our industry for a LONG time. Always a soft spot for DC DK series A-cars and B series Bulldogs, trademarks to me.

  2818. #2818Hank R2019-12-05 15:42
  2819. #2819doublewide2019-12-05 18:34

    Very cool truck. I think I would have crossed that front chain. Especially with the front wheels sitting on those blocks.

  2820. #2820crane operator2019-12-05 22:00

    1956 International, that's already been ruined? https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...,q|1956+international&rr=1&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

  2821. #2821crane operator2019-12-05 22:02

    By the way, I've been really enjoying the heavy spec truck pictures. I would love to own one of those, I just can't justify needing one of those.

  2822. #2822Hank R2019-12-05 22:41
  2823. #2823DMiller2019-12-06 07:00

    Could at least have added something to it Make it visually pleasing like Ford or GM cab and front end!!

  2824. #2824kshansen2019-12-06 07:10

    I'd love to see that truck after it hit a few pot holes with those tires! Might as well wrap a couple layers of electrical tape around them as those tires! Just for fun I clicked on the link to Iron Planet and saw the "Buy it Now Price"! Only $43,000! Wonder if that includes "Free shipping?" Only need to free up around $42,500 and it will be mine!

  2825. #2825Truck Shop2019-12-06 07:50

    Now DM that's your favorite cab style, CO posted that just for you to admire! That is one ugly truck.

  2826. #2826kshansen2019-12-06 07:57

    Dang it!! now there is going to be a bidding war to deal with!

  2827. #2827DMiller2019-12-06 08:19

    Cannot see it ever being in MY garage!! The thought Pachyderm comes to mind everytime I see one of these! Do not mind the next Generation V model, they had Style just that Toothy scowl Nose UGH!!! Even liked the previous S model more and up to the R160. R190s were just TOO Homely!!

  2828. #2828Hank R2019-12-06 12:24

    I bet now a days a Permit for this move would not be free bottom right???

  2829. #2829Truck Shop2019-12-06 19:00

    The front view of the 190's reminds me of some toaster made in the 40'/50's. Either design all the grille bars at vertical or all horizontal-but not both. It's as ugly as someone wearing argyle socks with plaid pants and stripped shirt. And a pointy hat also.

  2830. #2830Old Doug2019-12-06 19:32

    I dont mind some one doing this if they built some thing that could be driven or used. Its the beging of the end for alot of rigs. This is a fad were alot of good stuff will end up geting junked when the novalty wears off.

  2831. #2831Truck Shop2019-12-06 20:28

    Now if the conversions are done like these B61 Macks-well that's another thing. Install a 8.3 Cummins and a 7 spd it would be fun to drive around.

  2832. #2832RZucker2019-12-06 20:49

    I like the pickup, but I would have left the air cleaner behind.

  2833. #2833Truck Shop2019-12-06 21:30

    Both need to have the frillish crap removed, including the stainless mack hood slats and dog on the side. Everyone knows it's a mack. And those bumper guide posts on the one above--- those always looked korny to me, might as well attached curb feelers and shirts to go with those.

  2834. #2834Birken Vogt2019-12-06 23:37

    That round aluminum tank off what looks like a Peterbilt does not seem to belong there either.

  2835. #2835RZucker2019-12-06 23:41

    Actually that looks Freightliner to me. Pete tanks had a more rounded end.

  2836. #2836Birken Vogt2019-12-07 01:28

    You might be right, I was looking at the fuel cap which appears to me to have the Pete flip lever expanding rubber seal thing but not enough detail on the picture.

  2837. #2837Truck Shop2019-12-07 07:47

    That's a Mack tank and Mack mounts and straps. But that tank design was also used by other manufactures, Pete and Frtlnr had that set-up or something close. Business class parts and pieces get tossed around between builders.

  2838. #2838RZucker2019-12-07 13:07

    I see the difference now, this is the FL step that I was thinking of. Kinda wish I still had this truck. 325 Cat with a 9 speed.

  2839. #2839colson042019-12-07 13:27

    You like those single axle say cabs, eh RZ? Any particular reason?

  2840. #2840RZucker2019-12-07 13:54

    Back in the day those little trucks had a pretty good grain hauling gig, 2 loads a day, mostly downhill loaded in good weather. With a set of light grain doubles they could net around 34 tons running at 92,000 gross. They could make a few bucks when I could find decent drivers. I had one driver that would rustle up local hay loads in the off season too. He would rent a set of 32' flat doubles for that one.

  2841. #2841Truck Shop2019-12-07 19:51

    How about some nice LTL's-not my photos.

  2842. #2842Truck Shop2019-12-07 19:56

    I drove a 86 LTL dump with drop axle and 3 axle pup that was Cat powered. It road fairly well and pretty comfortable to drive plus it had good visibility with the large windshield.

  2843. #2843RZucker2019-12-07 21:23

    Those Fords weren't a bad truck. I would rate them higher than the GMC Generals.

  2844. #2844Mother Deuce2019-12-07 21:30

    LOL RZ! As a past member of General’s Owners Club if you had a good running 5 ton with one of those giant Hall Scott’s or equally enormous Continental gas engines you were better off than I was! Plus if you had a weed burner exhaust you could set fire to a bush anywhere and have hot lunch and a campfire.

  2845. #2845Truck Shop2019-12-07 21:39

    Somehow I didn't think you could put a LTL 9000 and a General in the same paragraph.

  2846. #2846RZucker2019-12-07 21:45

    Merely a comparison thing. Got to drive a General for a couple of days once... That was enough for me. In fairness it hadn't had the best care.

  2847. #2847Truck Shop2019-12-07 21:49

    Here---you can compare this to a turd.

  2848. #2848RZucker2019-12-07 21:57

    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. That is beyond disgusting.

  2849. #2849Birken Vogt2019-12-07 22:06

    Is that painting on the side supposed to be some kind of scene that I can't figure out or is it just abstract?

  2850. #2850RZucker2019-12-07 23:51

    I was once told that the best way to paint camouflage was dab it on heavy with a dirty sock.

  2851. #2851Truck Shop2019-12-08 13:57

    I don't know BV, that whole truck is abstract. A waste of .030 mig wire to me.

  2852. #2852old-iron-habit2019-12-08 18:33

    Four fuel tanks? Bet the front one is piped into the cab for a puke receptacle.

  2853. #2853colson042019-12-09 14:22

    Here's a neat video on a convoy of Mack trucks in the Artic

  2854. #2854Old Doug2019-12-09 19:42

    I am GM through and through but this statement is very true. I drove a General with a Turbo 6 71 RT15 speed. It didnt need a speedometer I dont think it would do 60. It would pull any thing just took a little longer to get there.

  2855. #2855Truck Shop2019-12-09 21:41

    some black and white photos, not my photos.

  2856. #2856RZucker2019-12-09 21:53

    Lots of aluminum with lock rings there. Looks like the Mack at the top has 22's.

  2857. #2857Truck Shop2019-12-10 20:36

    Some rigs you don't see everyday, Diamond Reo's. not my photos.

  2858. #2858Hank R2019-12-10 21:03

    In the first picture the Australia truck are those fenders how they came as I have not seen them before but I have not seen many Diamond Reo trucks.

  2859. #2859Truck Shop2019-12-11 07:38

    I have seen one before with the constructed fenders some years ago, it had a rotary well drilling rig mounted on it. But I don't think that the fenders were made from diamond plate.

  2860. #2860Blocker in MS2019-12-11 21:21

    You need all those fuel tanks to have enough time to get up enough courage to face the ridicule of being seen getting out of that truck in a public place like a truck stop.

  2861. #2861Truck Shop2019-12-12 20:58

    https://www.yaktrinews.com/news/photos-semi-teeters-off-side-of-hwy-195/1150613367

  2862. #2862Truck Shop2019-12-14 19:58

    Brooks

  2863. #2863Truck Shop2019-12-14 19:59

    Hope it didn't post twice.

  2864. #2864Truck Shop2019-12-14 21:24

    In the TGIF forum I had a thread about {noises you don't mind} which was about my young neighbor and the fact I could hear his fine guitar playing. He really is a fantastic guitarist on all types of guitars. Well a ways back I was talking to him over the fence and asked him if he could try and master the lead guitar performance in a certain song, just for the simple fact I have never heard any version that came close to the original, and why was that? Well tonight he played it for me and WOW it sounded identical. Afterward he explained he has been working on it for a while because the technique the guitarist used in the studio way back when was his own style and after the recording he only played it on stage twice, so there was a bunch of guessing to the technique since then. It involves using a pick plus the thumb and forefinger and stretching the strings on the fret board, according to him a extremely unusual style. He is working on his degree in music also. I wish I had a video camera and audio, I would have recorded it. He was all smiles as he performed on his hollow body Gretsch. And everyone knows this song-here is the original recording. Small things you learn.

  2865. #2865doublewide2019-12-22 19:46

    Not my trucks; https://newlondon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/durham-truck-kenworth-gmc-reo/7039932480.html

  2866. #2866Truck Shop2019-12-24 18:52

    Talk about a Mack with things to polish and covered with spaghetti. Nice LT.

  2867. #2867kshansen2019-12-25 11:13

    thanks for posting that, just added another tune to my collection!

  2868. #2868Truck Shop2019-12-29 21:07

    Another nice macaroni.

  2869. #2869Blocker in MS2019-12-29 21:22

    Educate me TS, why do you call that macaroni?

  2870. #2870RZucker2019-12-29 21:33

    MACK

  2871. #2871Blocker in MS2019-12-29 21:37

    Man! Even a dummy like me should have caught that one!

  2872. #2872525isx2019-12-30 00:18

    looks like the truck from bellingham area, guy named marr rebuilt it - log trucker mag. did article on him

  2873. #2873Truck Shop2019-12-30 07:33

    I believe your correct, I think Lynden Wa.

  2874. #2874Mother Deuce2019-12-30 12:48

    LOL! Don't feel bad, I had to ask too awhile back

  2875. #2875DMiller2019-12-30 12:52

    Thought had a decent SA B61 locally(thirty miles away), guy had it on FB Marketplace but once managed to contact him was already sold and NO Title in hand, parts truck.

  2876. #2876Truck Shop2019-12-30 13:45

    That's a real problem with a high percentage of old trucks/vehicles, no title. In Washington St it normally isn't worth jumping through the hoops with DMV to gain a new title. Damn near impossible in many cases, a bill of sale here is worthless at the DMV/county auditor licencing office.

  2877. #2877DMiller2019-12-30 14:37

    MO has changed it up some too, if request a "Lost" Title the last issued owner's name will be on it. If not the seller's name cannot get a sign off to make it yours. If was a deceased relative that person who sold has to pay the accorded Property Taxes, back to last paid along with a death cert copy before a release of title will occur where that tends to be the reason so many are 'Lost' and these asses will not help to get it corrected.

  2878. #2878Truck Shop2019-12-30 20:12

    A thing of the past, three log load.

  2879. #2879DMiller2019-12-31 08:30

    Nice set of legs! OH, and there are trucks with trees on them!! Still have memories of the Rear Steer car logging trucks along the roads in WA and OR when I had the KW. HUGE Logs were still around in the 80s

  2880. #2880Truck Shop2019-12-31 18:21

    Well that Frontier truck above says Forks Wa on the door so I would suppose that is a ceder on the bunks.

  2881. #2881crane operator2020-01-15 21:24

    Well its not really a old truck, but its in need of some serious help. Its a (I'm guessing) mid 90's western star. 3406b, 15speed. Meth heads pulled a bunch of the air lines out, thinking they were copper. But left all the battery cables, go figure. Anyways, the frame has been cut, I don't know if they were shortening or it was bent and they added a cut off rear or what, but I'm not a big fan of where it was cut at, and it sure doesn't have much of a sleeve area. They had a air lift axle just ahead of the tandems and were pulling a 60 ton RGN with this. Miracles happen every day. Of course, its a old sleeper truck, with the famous piece of clouded pexiglass, self tapping screwed and siliconed to the back of the cab. I think its headed for the scrapper, he tried to sell it a few years ago for $15,000, and it was rough then, its really in bad shape now. I really don't want it, but I think the motor and trans would be worth something (it supposedly runs), and I wouldn't mind having the aluminum rims. Someone probably wants the hood and grill, but there aren't a lot of western stars around here.

  2882. #2882Truck Shop2020-01-15 21:40

    Some nice modifications they did, that's some fine welding. Small hole stud pilot aluminum wheels $90 bucks each, 3406b $5000 complete if it runs, 15 speed used in working condition $2,200, depending on the rear drives Eaton 402 3.91 ratio front $1,500 rear $1100, Those air cleaners are worth $250 each , Axle housings $600, hubs $200 each, Steer axle $450. A 15spd is getting hard to come by, especially a RTO or RTLO.

  2883. #2883mitch5042020-01-15 21:46

    I'll chip in $10 for the lightbar

  2884. #2884Truck Shop2020-01-15 21:59

    Yep that old halogen light bar is worth about $10.

  2885. #2885RZucker2020-01-15 22:02

    Oh, h$ll no on that frame splice. I wouldn't do that on a pickup.

  2886. #2886DMiller2020-01-16 07:36

    Was it a splice or a backing plate for lift axle? EDIT, Never mind saw the weld line they ground down.

  2887. #2887Truck Shop2020-01-16 07:46

    That was some great fabricating, well planned and some of the finest welding technique that was done by a design/structural/welding wizard.

  2888. #2888dieseldog5.92020-01-16 08:58

    You laugh, I could use a parts truck just like that one. You can keep the light bar.

  2889. #2889Truck Shop2020-01-16 09:42

    Oh that truck is full of usable parts, its the frame work that is laughable.

  2890. #289056wrench2020-01-16 11:19

    up here, running, drive-it-away w/stars of that vintage would likely be in the $4500 range or less at Ritchie sales. any old trucks of that vintage would be similar, but that being said, I've seen 2 bidders drive up the price of anything. pre-electronic trucks only depreciate so far and hold some value around here because anybody can keep them running as long as the cab is in reasonable shape

  2891. #2891Truck Shop2020-01-16 13:11

    And some are only worth the tires holding them up.

  2892. #2892JPV2020-01-16 14:16

    That sucker would have some bark to it with those stacks, the worst thing about those trucks is that the rear motor mounts are on the transmission bellhousing. Makes it a pain to pull the transmission and I don't know what the point is.

  2893. #2893Birken Vogt2020-01-16 16:25

    The point is they install the engine/transmission as a unit at the factory before the cab is lowered on and they don't care what happens after that.

  2894. #2894Truck Shop2020-01-16 17:49

    Those bell mounts can be a pita, but if you get the engine jacked right and install the clutch on the input shaft with the transmission all at one time it goes fairly easy. But remember Ford, Mack White and Gm all used the bell mount. That's another reason I like PacCar Trucks. They were designed and built on the west coast to start with. The Stars are good trucks and built out here also but those also have their problems.

  2895. #2895mowingman2020-01-16 17:59

    Funny there is mention of the engine/transmission here. My son worked at the Peterbilt factory here in town for about a 2 years. His job was to install the transmission in each truck BEFORE it went on to the cab installation area. He always talked about how easy it was to put accessories on the transmission BEFORE it went into the truck.

  2896. #2896Truck Shop2020-01-16 18:25

    Like I said if you install the clutch in the transmission {can only be done on 15.5" clutch}. It takes the fight out of it trying to push the input shaft through the plates, especially on a transmission that has the mounts on the bell. You just bar the engine over and start and run the bolts down through the inspection cover opening. Below is a example, the only thing that has to line up is the input dowel on the end of the input shaft, which lines right up and you throw the bolts to the bell housing then bolt up the clutch.

  2897. #2897crane operator2020-01-16 18:43

    I've never installed a clutch that way, the bolt holes in the inspection hole probably line up fine, once you get the trans tight to the bell housing?

  2898. #2898Truck Shop2020-01-16 18:53

    Piece of cake crane operator, first get all the bolts started through the clutch cover to flywheel and have someone bar the engine over and suck them down even and torque them 55 lb Ft. The wood blocks keeping the clutch depressed will fall out right as it bolts down tight or push the pedal down and those will fall out. Sometime you have to reach up with a long screw driver and pop them out with pedal depressed. Saves your back, frustration and time doing it that way-been doing it that way since the early 80's. Just bolt the bell up tight to start with.

  2899. #2899farmerlund2020-01-17 01:42

    Ok, so you lost me on the wood blocks. Where do they go? We swapped a 60 series Detroit in a kw last winter, and it was a real pain getting the input through the disks. I am thinking it would have been lots easier to do it this way.

  2900. #2900Truck Shop2020-01-17 07:44

    A new clutch comes with two 3/4x3/4 wood blocks or a throw away plastic u shaped piece that the manufacture installs between the clutch cover and throw-out bearing, It helps with installation because it holds the clutch in a slightly depressed position so the clutch cover basically touches the flywheel sooner. Loading the clutch on the input shaft and installing as a unit is the easiest way. Just slide the clutch cover onto the input shaft and with clutch fork fingers pointing straight out and the clutch brake already installed on the shaft. Push the clutch cover back and rotate the clutch fork fingers over the throw out bearing and using the fork to pull it the rest of the way it will pull clutch cover and clutch brake into position then install the clutch discs and intermediate plate in there proper positions, {Note the FWS I marked on the disc in the photo above-Fly Wheel Side} The other would say PPS-Pressure plate side.

  2901. #290156wrench2020-01-17 11:12

    I think the reason the mounts were on the trans bell was that it eliminated the need for a rear trans support because the trans assy was better balanced. ya, they were a pita but they seemed to work ok. I made up an attachment for a light-duty trans jack with an old input shaft for clutch installations so I can load the assembly onto the jack in the vertical position, wheel it under, jack it up, and stuff it in. I work alone so I hate getting in and out from under too many times.

  2902. #2902Truck Shop2020-01-17 13:42

    If it's Cat powered and has the rear structure with access baring hole on the right side I just bar it around from underneath.

  2903. #2903JPV2020-01-17 18:34

    I have been doing it that way for a while now, I have a bad back and am not able to lift the assembled clutch on to the flywheel. I have always thought about building a floor jack attachment to lift it but it just works so much better doing it that way. It is the only way to go. It helps if you have someone else to bar it over for sure.

  2904. #2904RZucker2020-01-17 18:46

    I have the OTC clutch jack and only use it for removal. And its handy for flywheels.

  2905. #2905Truck Shop2020-01-17 19:42

    We have a jack that has attachments for both clutch/flywheel and rear drive units. I always drop the clutch with the transmission too. The attachment for rear drives works real well on the front drive.

  2906. #2906dieseldog5.92020-01-20 20:50

    I apparently live in the area where Mack guys from Massachusetts cross with Westernstar guys from Canada and every truck has rear engine mounts in the trans. Caught a kenworth this week and thought wow just pull the trans no engine bs.

  2907. #2907Blocker in MS2020-01-23 17:48

    http://www.truckpaper.com/ListingsDetail/Detail.aspx?lp=TRK&OHID=32586637

  2908. #2908Mother Deuce2020-01-23 18:22

    Got stuck on a Washington State ferry with one of those... failure to launch. About the time they were hooking their aircraft tug to it. Mr Detroit burst in a fine clanging roar killed every mosquito for two blocks and we wandered off the boat into the cover of our own smoke screen.

  2909. #2909DMiller2020-01-23 18:30

    Japanese freightliner with a 90 Nothin WOW

  2910. #2910Mother Deuce2020-01-23 18:38

    LOL The mighty 903... just when you thought all the runners left were in boats.

  2911. #2911DMiller2020-01-23 18:40

    The origination of Rattle rattle thunder clatter boom boom boom. 900 Cu In with three working cylinders also comes to mind.

  2912. #2912RZucker2020-01-23 19:01

    903 = one word... Brader.

  2913. #2913Mother Deuce2020-01-23 19:12

    My buddy Butch worked for Brader. I liked the narrow noses.

  2914. #2914RZucker2020-01-23 19:33

    I mostly remember the day cab Peterbilt COEs with the 903s.

  2915. #2915Truck Shop2020-01-23 20:45

    Brader had both coe's and conv, and some of the Freightliner coe's had the crows nest sleeper on top of cab. Brader didn't have many of those just a few.

  2916. #2916RZucker2020-01-23 20:53

    Yep, actually looked at buying one of the wide nose Petes with a 903 to make a home for a Silver 92. It was pretty clean, but by the time you added everything up... James (my GMC 9500) was a better deal.

  2917. #2917DMiller2020-01-24 07:06

    A number of small lines in Missouri liked them for one reason or another. Know of one Independent that had one in a K100, he passed away truck got sold to logger and he converted to a 8v92 from a wrecked Freightliner he had. Boat anchor went to MS River service, boat engine and have not seen or heard of since.

  2918. #2918gtermini2020-01-24 10:54

    https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/vida-1977-international-wrecker/7061946078.html

  2919. #2919DMiller2020-01-24 16:15

    KNOW that engine, not so good a idea for a truck, NOT 9.0 is DV550, Shudder when say it!!

  2920. #2920Mother Deuce2020-01-24 17:22

    Now you made me dig up a Brader image... Who in the valley had the narrow nose Pete's 60's and 70's Sort of A D.L. Duckey look.

  2921. #2921petepilot2020-01-24 18:20

    wow have`nt seen one of those intact for many moons

  2922. #2922RZucker2020-01-24 18:27

    A local farm had 4 of those ugly things with 903s and tandem rears, as their Versatile tractors blew up 903s, trucks retired minus the engine. They even had a Freightliner COE with a 903. Engine banking I guess.

  2923. #2923DMiller2020-01-25 07:55

    Just loved when something on a PT Pump on a 90Nuthin would go to leaking, ALWAYS on one just off the road, ALWAYS middle of summer and Nearly Always under a COE so you could not get away from the heat. Add a Box type engine mounted air cleaner to that mix all the better!!

  2924. #2924Blocker in MS2020-01-25 12:01

    http://www.courtlandtruckworks.com/

  2925. #2925RZucker2020-01-25 13:39

    I like me some old Peterbilt with the exposed radiator. The first Diesel truck I ever got to drive was my grandfathers '52 with a 262 Cummins and a set of 4 speed sticks pulling the old Peerless 3 axle lowboy empty. That was about 1974.

  2926. #2926RZucker2020-01-25 14:08

    I never understood the appeal of a natural aspirated 903 in a truck, 8V71 Detroit seemed to be a better choice for both reliability and weight. I realize the Turbo 903 was supposedly close to 430HP, but really? Heavy and it sucked to work on, IMO one of the worst V-8 diesel ideas ever. Well... second to the DV-550 and the V-800 IH.

  2927. #2927DMiller2020-01-25 14:38

    I still remember when KW offered the Movin' On W900s after the show ended, 90Nuthin and a straight gate no split gearbox. Would not pull a sick goat off a farm wagon.

  2928. #2928RZucker2020-01-25 14:50

    With 20" Aluminum lock ring rims no doubt.

  2929. #2929dieseldog5.92020-01-25 18:50

    Would It pull a wet string out of a cats ass? How about the engine in the movie High Ballin? K100 kenworth definitely a unique sounding truck.

  2930. #2930petepilot2020-01-25 19:01

    Real memory

  2931. #2931DMiller2020-01-25 19:03

    Cannot remember that aspect as the other was enough to drive ME away.

  2932. #2932Truck Shop2020-01-25 20:50

    The real name of the 903 was a {Mel Tillis Motor} Mel never stuttered when he sang but a 903 never could sing.

  2933. #2933Blocker in MS2020-01-25 21:02

    Aluminum lock ring wheels, boy that sounds like a bad idea.

  2934. #2934RZucker2020-01-25 21:12

    The lock rings were steel. The wheels were aluminum.

  2935. #2935Blocker in MS2020-01-25 21:21

    That would be better for sure. Am aluminum lock ring would scare me.

  2936. #2936crane operator2020-01-26 00:17

    Aluminum 20's? Could have had a whole truck with them a couple weeks ago. Had a 8v92 in it also.

  2937. #2937RZucker2020-01-26 00:35

    That's the ones... Check out the KW in the original "Smokey and the Bandit".

  2938. #2938DMiller2020-01-26 07:59

    LOL!! Mel Tillis!

  2939. #2939dieseldog5.92020-01-26 08:16

    In the truck collector world those rims bring a premium.

  2940. #2940DMiller2020-01-26 11:15

    Most were Three Piece, would not even consider fixing flats on those.

  2941. #2941Truck Shop2020-01-26 15:04

    That's true-I sold 22 split aluminum wheels to guys that just had to have them----------and I laughed all the way to the bank. And I have 8 more-so I can laugh some more.

  2942. #2942Birken Vogt2020-01-26 19:08

    Around here they were used thrown open side down to help track type machines to crawl up on the tail of a lowboy for loading over the tires. Had no idea that they were worth something.

  2943. #2943dieseldog5.92020-01-26 21:26

    I have a friend that would buy all 8, he ships from west coast frequently, I will contact him and PM you. Personally I swapped my truck from budds to hub pilot.

  2944. #2944Truck Shop2020-01-27 07:43

    No thanks, I take them to the local truck show and sell them to the local crowed.

  2945. #2945crane operator2020-02-08 09:18

    https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/1952-kenworth-bubble-nose-classic/7051806912.html Got that old Mack about done? If you're feeling spry and acrobatic you could climb on up into this....

  2946. #2946crane operator2020-02-08 09:30

    And I guess if you want to stick to the mack theme, you could get a puller to go with your wheel lift https://kpr.craigslist.org/hvo/d/dayton-56-mack-b75-wrecker/7051918187.html

  2947. #2947RZucker2020-02-08 09:32

    I just saw that ad last night. Not far from Walla Walla.

  2948. #2948crane operator2020-02-08 09:38

    This is the nonsense we have by me right now: https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/bolivar-8100-international/7062106022.html I own a international 8100 with a M11, we like it because its really short wheelbase for getting around on jobsites. But if there's a buyer this guys truck at $18,000, I've got one for sale too. I'd even give a pretty good discount off the 18,000. I'm not that impressed with mine. Every old truck that is pre ELD and pre 2001 or so (no emissions) is now a $20,000 truck in my area

  2949. #2949DMiller2020-02-08 12:26

    Only one company I am aware of in MO uses Mexican chrome rattle cans on wheels, Hogan Leasing. Cannot see $18K for that.

  2950. #2950Labparamour2020-02-08 13:11

    From about early 90's. First serious truck driving for me....great people, great company. Ran as a casual and they were great at coaching and teaching.

  2951. #2951Truck Shop2020-02-08 18:41

    That Bull Nose-has been for sale on Redding CL for four years on and off. That B73 Mack wrecker with the W45 unit well here's another view of it, I looked at that over two years ago. Truthfully the cab and sheet metal is pretty much rusted out along the seams and the floor boards are pretty much toast. And the engine is locked up. If it's on the west coast I know about it.

  2952. #2952BSAA65LB2020-02-09 13:32
  2953. #2953DMiller2020-02-09 13:47

    At least NOT a 190!!

  2954. #2954RZucker2020-02-09 19:12

    Yup, an L series nose there. Maybe an L-170, Got to drive one in wheat harvest one year (I was 15) the brakes were weird, push the pedal to the floor with a terrible screech from the pedal rubbing the floorboard and let up on the pedal as the Hydro-vac applied the brakes or your nose would be on the horn button.

  2955. #2955DMiller2020-02-10 07:53

    Hydrovacs, almost glad they are no longer used. Were job security, that and rats nests behind the seat over the vent caps!!

  2956. #2956crane operator2020-02-12 10:18

    If we talk about old trucks here, can we talk about old trailers too? This one appeared on my local craigslist, and I was amused by the ad and description. I got a good chuckle out of the 30 ton / 22 ton rating confusion.... following is quoted from the ad in case it disappears: I have for sale a 18ft long 22 Ton tilt trailer with a new full cut 2" oak floor in it. All the tires are good on it. Lights all work but could use rewiring. Has like new brakes but one partially sticks sometimes. The person I bought it from said it was a 30 Ton however the title doesn't say the ton rating an I don't feel as though it is a 30 ton so I'm selling it as a 22 Ton as I have hauled a Caterpillar 963 on it so I know it will carry that much weight. (Approx 44,000lbs) Trades considered but Cash is King. LOWBALLERS and TIREKICKERS don't bother nor waste my time as I promise I will hurt your feelins, however I am open to reasonable offers. Thanks for looking $4000OBO https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/hartville-18ft-22-ton-tilt-trailer/7073561475.html

  2957. #2957DMiller2020-02-12 12:51

    Obviously NOT an equipment Trailer, looks oddly similar to what I see Mo-Con and other Precast Companies using behind Straight Trucks for Heavy singular component moves. Needs tire(s) fifteen inch appearance lowboy style axles, would not consider it more than a 20T, MIGHTY Short to be dragging a 963 on as well.

  2958. #2958crane operator2020-02-12 18:13

    I kinda thought as short as it is, that the weight would be pretty centered on the trailer, so 30 ton sounded hopelessly optimistic, and I'd think 22 ton on those 15" would be pushing the tires pretty hard.

  2959. #2959Truck Shop2020-02-12 20:14

    It would be interesting to look at, Hyster built a trailer just like that with a 22 ton rating. Plus by the looks of it I would be willing to bet that suspension is Hyster. Plus Hyster built a ground bearing 35 ton lowboy with a 22' well using the same suspension and tire size. In the photo below is a possum belly I built in 2002 to hold the 15 ton dry box, on the other side of it is a Hyster 35 to two axle with removeable neck, sorry the photo doesn't show more of it.

  2960. #2960RZucker2020-02-13 22:47

    Looking at the pics again, that does look like a Hyster 20T tilt, but it looks to me like the tail has been cut back for some odd reason. Probably has lost about 3-4 feet. That bumper on the back of the deck looks all wrong.

  2961. #2961DMiller2020-02-14 05:49

    That was what threw me Knew of two small excavation companies both had 20t Hysters they transported small crawler or a TLB on. The others I noted, precast also had Hyster model tilt decks to roll pipe off but were like this one.

  2962. #2962Truck Shop2020-02-14 07:39

    Excavation company I worked for years ago used a Hyster 20 ton to move 215's on at times normally a three axle Trail King was used.

  2963. #2963DMiller2020-02-14 18:55

    The tail is the Key, ramp off covers over lighting, appear Machine made not fabricobbled to fit, typical of trailers for Heavy mobile materials.

  2964. #2964Mother Deuce2020-02-16 06:47

    Was kind of at a loss where to put this old girl with the picture thread now. 53 Chev 6400 in Guffey Colorado. Looked like they were getting ready to put her to work for a bit.

  2965. #2965Mother Deuce2020-02-16 06:53

    Geez Fedderly Marion! In the Issaquah yard? I had buddy there Bruce that was there till he started his own gig. Your image is certainly one of the better looking horses "Don't blow the socks off the silo" LOL! I been that way a little myself

  2966. #2966DMiller2020-02-16 08:32

    Socks off the Silo!! Saw that happen at Siemer Milling Teutopolis IL(Gold Medal Flour producer). Driver was trying to unplug a discharge line he got careless with while unloading, seems forgot to depressurize some part of the system before reinstating the discharge and Yes, Shot the Socks on the Discharge filter system into the parking lot!!! Guys at Kienstra Ready Mix were always forgetting to back flow the filter head, would stuff the socks full and they too would launch, one maintenance mechanic would look out, say: "Yep, time to clean the filter house again"!!

  2967. #2967colson042020-02-16 21:35

    Had a bulk truck filling a cement silo at a wellsite one night. We're drilling along, all the usual noises, and suddenly heard this massive bang! followed by a cloud of dust from the backside of the rig. He didn't blow the bag off, he blew the bag up! Straight up exploded, sending cement dust everywhere. Guy looked like a ghost, his bright red coveralls now a dull grey/white. He was standing right next to it when it went.

  2968. #2968DMiller2020-02-17 07:44

    Is almost funny but also dangerous when the Fluffer pad/bottom hatch gasket at the bottom of a hopper decides had enough for the day and blows out, usually around the time someone has a need to check the discharge valve there. The clouds from Flour or Cement even from sugar or starch can overwhelm a operator.

  2969. #2969Truck Shop2020-02-17 19:52

    A friend years ago that drove fuel tanker told me about one of the drivers left the vapor recovery cam plug off. Lost 200 plus gallons of unlead just by draft alone, he was hauling a load from Harbor Island to Cle Elum. I use to make a trip with him now and then, When loading diesel into a compartment that had gas-the fuel is only pumped on at a slow rate for the first X amount of gallons on bottom loading because of friction between the gas and diesel and possible static charge. Plus the idea that certain brands of gas are better than others, Gas is gas the additives for a certain brand are injected when the driver punches in the brand he is loading.

  2970. #2970RZucker2020-02-17 20:55

    When I drove for Conoco way back when, all the gasoline came from the same tank but the hoses for Conoco gas and Exxon gas came from different hoses on the rack. And yes, we hauled both. Sometimes in the same load in different compartments.

  2971. #2971Mother Deuce2020-02-18 04:13

    Thats how it was where I was also... gas was raw and additives injected on demand. At the time there were just Shell and Texaco refineries in Anacortes If I remember right. Seems like Arco had a facility up by Bellingham? The oil companies would all use each others base product depending which companies had the nearest refining capabilities and add additives to produce "their" products.

  2972. #2972Mother Deuce2020-02-18 04:23

    It was especially bad loading a light product behind light Jet A or diesel. Lots of static. We top loaded most of the time I did the Stevens Pass shuffle one night I was in the rack loading regular, another hand rolled in and I don't know if the ground bond wasn't good or what... he put the stem on the spout and dropped it to the tank bottom and Whoosh! It shot out a column of flame as big around as the dome cover clear to the top of the rack. One and done after the fumes in the tank flashed it went out whole thing was over in a second. A very long second.

  2973. #2973DMiller2020-02-18 07:31

    Same here hauling JP to Jacksonville IL airport for Helo services there, hauled Diesel usually right after to the West of STL then Gas around St, Charles County. Had specific instructions as to what Blending hoses to use for whose fuel we were to deliver. Did you all have to wear the Grounding Cuffs to the swing arm when Top Loading as we did? Truck and trailer separate grounds to a Permanent ball lug on the frames, not much bottom loaded here. Toward end of That career they had installed a vapor recovery system had to run 10 minutes prior to loading. We had Conoco Philips Shell Standard(Now BP) and a few independents, will STILL Not buy gas at a Cut Rate convenience store unless HAVE To. Saw too many tank bottoms dumped for Convenience marts, most times was souring as we put in tankers.

  2974. #2974Mother Deuce2020-02-18 17:40

    LOL! No cuffs! Bonds sound similar. We got vapor recovery as I was leaving there for the great white north

  2975. #2975RZucker2020-02-18 18:55

    My experiences were all bottom loading with Scully fiber optics at the local terminal, the loading computer controlled everything except setting the manual countdown shutoff meters. Loved the hose balancer and Dry-break couplers. The only time we used grounding balls was off loading with the pump into jobber tanks.

  2976. #2976Truck Shop2020-02-18 19:21

    You must have been loading out of ML, End of the Yellowstone pipe line I'm guessing.

  2977. #2977RZucker2020-02-18 19:39

    Yup. Sometimes out of Spokane if a product was not available locally. That sucked because we had to do vapor recovery hook ups. Spokane to Yaka-Vegas was good for mileage pay though.

  2978. #2978DMiller2020-02-18 19:54

    You guys lucked out Piasa motor fuels and Hartford Terminals pipeline service not so up to date.

  2979. #2979DMiller2020-02-18 20:08

    Cuffs sucked, had to wear on Gas or JP load outs. Awkward reel loaded off a swing arm like a car wash wand. Had clothing requirements absolutely NO nylon cloth had to be rubber soled leather upper steel toe boots, always fun time loading up. Tank was steel military surplus so could only manage 5-6000 gal in a 9000 gal no baffles rig. Sucked to drag the pig.

  2980. #2980Blocker in MS2020-02-18 22:10

    Have you guys heard of all the troubles last year mixing DEF with Jet A? Also, do you all still BP branded stations around there?

  2981. #2981RZucker2020-02-18 22:50

    Luckily in my tanker days we didn't have DEF. But in my driver contract it stipulated that delivery tank mixes would be the driver's responsibility. That would make you wake up screaming in the middle of your sleep at times. I was pretty proud of the fact at the time Conoco USA hired me at just barely 20 years old and trusted me with a 6 axle tank rig. No CDL then just the state Combination license. But the terminal manager/chief driver saw me on the road every day hauling grain and offered up the position for 4 months of my grain down time so their drivers could use up their vacation time.

  2982. #2982DMiller2020-02-19 07:55

    DEF cannot be mixed with fuel, separate tank and delivery point, has to be cleaned after each haul according to locals still hauling bulk fuels, most yards have a Specific truck, has One compartment only used for DEF. BP still quite prevalent here, have two local stations each side of river and five just at twenty miles away. Kind of miss AMOCO or Standard Stations.

  2983. #2983Hank R2020-02-19 18:11

    A good Friend sent me these a hr ago the happy new owner just bought it in Saskatoon and was heading home to Davidson Sask. 1972 GMC Long Hood 318, with a 5x4

  2984. #2984DMiller2020-02-19 18:45

    9500 series, always liked these except to work on. Twin Stacks likely 8V71.

  2985. #2985Blocker in MS2020-02-19 19:30

    You might make some money going around to the airports telling them not to add DEF with the fuel https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media...new-def-fuel-contamination-incidents-reported I need to research the BP deal. I wonder if there was not a falling out over a little spill at some point

  2986. #2986RZucker2020-02-19 20:05

    The long hood had room for a 12V71, but you still had part of the engine and air compressor in the cab. I've also seen 855 Cummins in them. Mine had the short hood with an 8V71, the dog house mad things a bit on the cramped side for your feet. A local had a long hood with a 400 BC in it and that one made me drool. 5" pipes and twin chrome everything.

  2987. #2987mitch5042020-02-19 21:54

    I still have a 1971 Chevy C90 short hood with a 6-71 and a 9513. Not running at the moment, but working good 2 yrs ago when the transmission locked up. It was one of my favorite trucks to drive for short hauls, so I'm definitely gonna fix it soon as I have extra time.

  2988. #2988RZucker2020-02-19 23:01

    Representative photo of the one I had, minus the roof top air con. Mine had the same paint job as the wrecker below. I also had changed over to aluminum 22.5 Budds on the front and 22.5 Daytons on the drives. a year after I bought it I added 6' the frame for a better ride.

  2989. #2989Truck Shop2020-02-20 07:06

    Circle burner.

  2990. #2990DMiller2020-02-20 07:35

    Rather 'Tight' wheelbase!!

  2991. #2991mitch5042020-02-20 13:03

    Probably the same wheelbase as my short hood. Just room enough for 2 8d batteries between the front drive and back of cab. That's what I like best about it, though. Not many other tandem trucks that will do a comfortable u-turn in a country road T-intersection.

  2992. #2992Truck Shop2020-02-20 21:15

    It has been said that GM never built any MH series long hoods with a 12V71, But Monfort of Colorado had some with 12V71's, another reason the left lane was called the Monfort Lane back then.

  2993. #299356wrench2020-02-20 22:20

    at least the tilt hood trucks were easier to work on in my opinion than those GM's with the gull-wing hood. my brother had a short nose and the gull-wing hood. 6V53, MT653 and a 4 speed auxiliary. we used to remove the front fenders when we did anything engine related-especially tune-ups. it had an oddball governor if I remember correctly- a limiting high-speed/ variable low-speed with a booster spring on top . real pita to get set right. when I talked to the Detroit dealer about 20 years ago, regarding that governor, they said 'good luck'- the guys that worked on those back in '75 are either retired or dead

  2994. #2994Mother Deuce2020-02-21 18:13

    Wasn't that Mercer out of Spokane that had a bunch of trucks painted those colors too? I can see the trucks in my minds eye... just can't read the door sign!

  2995. #2995Mother Deuce2020-02-21 18:24

    On our walkabout through Bernieville over the weekend we ran across this Dodge that judging by the stark white inner fender and clean appearance generally seems to have been restored recently and it's friend the 60. Both sporting the popular plastic bucket stack covers.

  2996. #2996RZucker2020-02-21 20:35

    IIRC, the Mercer trucks were plain yellow with brown trim. The GMC paint scheme was Metal flake gold with metal flake brown. I'm pretty sure that was an optional color from the factory, I've seen the same paint job on two Brigadiers too. My truck came from Kansas City, MO. apparently from a freight company that did a lot of city deliveries. It even had the fancy fake tooled leather door panels.

  2997. #2997RZucker2020-02-21 20:55

    I like the Dodge, the snow gives the cab the illusion of real headroom. I've driven a couple of gassers with that cab and headroom for me was not good.

  2998. #2998Truck Shop2020-02-22 19:15

    If they don't cremate my carcass I suppose a box isn't going to have much head room either. And I like to sleep on my side. Far Side.

  2999. #2999Hank R2020-02-29 20:24

    Just wondering when did the last White Freightliner truck roll off the line??

  3000. #3000DMiller2020-02-29 20:26

    White Freightliner changed to just Freightliner in 1977 Saw first hand deliveries of them new.

  3001. #3001Truck Shop2020-02-29 20:35

    Quiz, what year was it that the Freightliner C.O.E came out with the wipers moved to a lower position on cab?

  3002. #3002Hank R2020-02-29 22:41

    The picture of the one I posted was a 1973.

  3003. #3003Truck Shop2020-03-01 07:24

    Wiper arms were mounted just below the windshield through 1967, in 1968 the arm assembly was moved lower on the cab face. It's a easy way to tell if your looking at a older model.

  3004. #3004RZucker2020-03-01 10:58

    That sure made the wiper motors more accessable.

  3005. #3005DMiller2020-03-01 15:39

    Air Motors, GUARANTEED Job security!!!

  3006. #3006DMiller2020-03-02 07:57

    Watched a number of Air Motor wiper motors get changed because the 'Tech' did not know how or TO adjust the muffler restrictor for speed control, or would throw away the muffler expecting some other variation on a theme gonna make it work!!

  3007. #3007OVERTORQUED2020-03-06 06:01

    I have to say that I ‘binge read’ thru almost the entire thread here... you all have the best stories and amazing photos. Love it!

  3008. #3008Mother Deuce2020-03-06 18:03

    Would somebody mind buying this... that way I won't have to wonder what happened to it! If I didn't have to freight it 3500 miles I would have already bought it! https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/pasco-1937-dodge-truck-15-ton-flatbed/7085401245.html

  3009. #3009Truck Shop2020-03-06 18:24

    I looked at it a ways back and it's not bad for a 37. I'm only 13 miles from it but I already got one mess to finish. Sorry MD.

  3010. #3010Mother Deuce2020-03-06 18:29

    LOL! Oh well! Deep Sigh! I bought a 47 Jimmy Flatbed with power wagon running gear from a friend of mine up in the "Heavens." I wish I still had it. Need a little hauler This season.

  3011. #3011RZucker2020-03-06 19:10

    Neat old Dodge. I could see a 6BT Cummins and some 5" pipes in it's future.

  3012. #3012Truck Shop2020-03-06 20:20

    Radiator.

  3013. #3013crane operator2020-03-06 20:25

    https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/lebanon-1974-international-6yard-dump/7078334673.html DMiller: International on craigslist- Paging Mr. Dmiller..... Ran when parked 10 years ago! Only $2,400.

  3014. #3014Mother Deuce2020-03-06 20:26

    one remote, electric fans

  3015. #3015Mother Deuce2020-03-06 20:27

    I ran a 2070 with a slant 6 270... it was a OK ride

  3016. #3016RZucker2020-03-06 20:38

    Did the Cab list 20 degrees when it cornered? That goofy subframe with the single mount point at the rear could make you seasick if you looked in the mirror making a sharp turn at speed. At least the old dump I drove did. Pulled a 6-71 inline out of one once and thought seriously about taking the cab off... it was that much fun.

  3017. #3017Truck Shop2020-03-06 20:38

    I had a friend that had a 1966 Corvair Monza mid engine/327. The radiator had some long tubes running to the radiator, it had a Crown kit.

  3018. #3018Mother Deuce2020-03-06 20:41

    It was kind of hard to tell... it was a dairy tanker train. It never stopped sloshing around.

  3019. #3019petepilot2020-03-06 20:45

    I happen to have a 6bt and a 5 spd auto.

  3020. #3020Mother Deuce2020-03-06 20:45

    I have seen the big block Ford guys do all kinds of remote cooling options trying to shovel one into an A or some other small core area ride

  3021. #3021RZucker2020-03-06 21:13

    Knew a guy with a '47 Ford cabover built as a rod with a 460 mounted behind the cab, he had a front radiator with electric fans and a nice flat floor that could hold 3 skinny guys on the bench seat. Don't know if anybody ever got into an original with a doghouse but they weren't comfy for two regular sized people.

  3022. #3022Truck Shop2020-03-06 21:23

    The seats with arm rests in the Mack are so close together that if the passenger farts the driver is going to think it's his fart.

  3023. #3023DMiller2020-03-06 21:29

    At least the 3208 is better than the DVs or the V549s these were originally equipped with. 2050 Fleetstar. Schreiter Ready Mix ran a fleet of 2070s with 6L71s, and as with you RZ, would have been better to lift the cab to pull the heads on them, honing 4&5 for sleeves was a NIGHTMARE!! Air Compressor left MUCH to be desired when they shot craps.. Schuman Paving had a 2070 with the 549, could NOT keep mufflers on it, driver would coast long duration downhill then mash on the gas and blow both of them off the pipes. $2400 for a shot in the dark on a Allison that has set 10 years, HMMMMM, NO!! Oh and Iron front Gull Wing ass mashers, again, NO!

  3024. #3024old-iron-habit2020-03-06 21:43

    Confession time. A bit over 50 years ago when working after school at the local Co-op service station we were often tasked with hand washing the local feed departments Ford 2 ton single axle feed delivery trucks. More than once when going down the hill returning them to the feed store the key got "bumped" to the off position and in a "panic" the gas pedal got pumped many times trying to restart it. When it was realized the key was off and turned back on, it normally resulted in a earplug worthy bang, and a ripped wide open muffler. The non mechanically minded manager of the feed store commented once that he was not going to buy any more Fords because they were hard on mufflers.

  3025. #3025Mother Deuce2020-03-07 03:55

    I knew Gene really well. “Ugly” was a art piece. By putting the engine behind the cab it eliminated the dog house completely and opened the cab up considerably. By using a donor one ton frame and running gear and with the engine in the rear the real plus was settling the cab on the frame the running board ends up about 8 inches off the ground. The other thing that Gene did to make that truck really look right was tightening up the fender radius. He was really sharp! He went to the top of the fender opening and cut down to the bottom on both sides leaving the top connected then pulled both sides of the radius together about 2 inches at the bottom and the made long tapered wedges to fill the void created. Weld them in old school and when he was done it looked like Ford built it 76 Ford one ton tires and wheels. Gene was a really good guy and a consummate craftsman. I wonder if George is still alive? I have several images of Ugly around here before he put the blower on. I will see if I can find one.

  3026. #3026RZucker2020-03-07 12:41

    I don't have any pics of Uugly, but this is some of Gene's sectioning work. I think this pic was from about 30 years ago. Built on an 86 GM dually chassis ended up with a 6BT Cummins and an Allison 545 trans. I had some minor involvement. Frame work and mating the engine trans combo.

  3027. #3027Mother Deuce2020-03-07 13:53

    I never saw that truck. I thought about a Chev once. It is just so hard to get the profile down. Nice, brings back good memories of Miner's and Vintiques at the fairgrounds! (Deep Sigh) Summer Nights!

  3028. #3028old-iron-habit2020-03-07 17:58

    Help, I need intervention. I'm going to be out in the area in the next couple weeks. I am an addict. Don't you know better than to dangle that stuff in front of me.

  3029. #3029Mother Deuce2020-03-07 18:13

    I know the problem!!

  3030. #3030Mother Deuce2020-03-07 18:17

    Just take a trailer with ya... I'm rooting for you!

  3031. #3031RZucker2020-03-07 18:33

    Depending on where you end up, you should look a few of us up if you have time. There is this Mack project in Walla Walla that's worthy of a view...

  3032. #3032old-iron-habit2020-03-07 18:39

    in I would love to do that if at possible. I wanted to stop in Walla Walla last trip but was on a tight schedule. PM me your phone number and when is a good time to call when we are in the area. I am planning on visiting a good friend old Cat collector that farms about 20 miles west of Ascotin so we will be in the neighborhood.

  3033. #3033Truck Shop2020-03-07 18:46

    Well here's one for you street rodders. When Paul Harper of Cle Elum owned this 56 Buick Century a friend of mine that was a body man and who I worked with at the time in Ellensburg did the body and paint work for Paul Harper. His Name is Paul Chrismer the same guy I had do the body and paint work on my 53 high hood CJ3B. To cover some hours of labor on my jeep work I helped Chrismer with hand blocking and guide coating the body of this 56 Buick. When done it took first place for finish at Oakland. There is quite a story behind this car. It was also featured at the 1962 Worlds Fair in Seattle, and graced the cover of Cart Craft Magazine several times. Read the link below!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But the fun thing for me is I drove this lead sled twice! https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19515/lot/128/

  3034. #3034Mother Deuce2020-03-07 19:20

    Can't imagine Paul sold it... it was red the last time I saw it. Think that was the run to Roslyn in 19...uh urrr hmmm

  3035. #3035Truck Shop2020-03-07 19:25

    Yah, I had Paul Harper punch the louvers in the hood of my high hood. Rapid Roy-that stock car boy by Jim Croce.

  3036. #3036Mother Deuce2020-03-07 19:36

    Before Paul moved to the tranquility of the timber he was the guy to see for louvers. Half of everybody I knew had Paul punch a hood or deck lid or side sheets. He did some pretty cool custom work.

  3037. #3037Truck Shop2020-03-07 19:40

    It was painted Tahitian Red/sort of fruit punch color.

  3038. #3038Truck Shop2020-03-07 19:48

    For the louvers on the hood of the Mack the local place is Holton Labs, in the middle of no where. North of Pendleton and west of Helix in Oregon. Out in a canyon in the wheat fields. https://www.holtonsecretlab.com/

  3039. #3039Old Doug2020-03-07 20:10

    I saw a 40s ford snub nose that had the engine behind the cab i think ford the trans was yoke to yoke with a 9inch ford center in some kind of custom independent rear end.

  3040. #3040Mother Deuce2020-03-07 20:15

    That 35 Dodge in his Portfolio sells me. We had 2 34’s a coupe and a 4 door. That 35 is stylin’

  3041. #3041Mother Deuce2020-03-07 20:25

    I suppose You could fab trailing arms and use stub axles and half shafts with a custom mounted carrier for the 9 inch ala corvette perch some bags behind the axle and a small compressor

  3042. #3042Old Doug2020-03-07 20:29

    With some parts from a newer pickups independent front end and a 9inch something could be built If you had any kind of a driveshaft and a reguler rearend the WB would get long.

  3043. #3043RZucker2020-03-07 20:37

    This sounds like Uugly we discussed earlier, It did have a short driveline to a radically narrowed 9" ford rear end set in the middle of the front suspension from a GMC front wheel drive motorhome. Sounds odd but worked quite well.

  3044. #3044Old Doug2020-03-07 20:52

    This thing had a flat bed with a wood crate were the engine stuck up past the bed floor some how the bed raised up. It was very well built the guy that did it was a craftsman and know how to do stuff on a budget.

  3045. #3045RZucker2020-03-07 20:55

    I know that truck well. Green wheels and flames on the paint job? If its the one I know, I did the bed tilt job using a pair of Peterbilt cab tilt cylinders.

  3046. #3046Mother Deuce2020-03-07 20:58

    Did it have lime green wheels! ... and if so. Where is it??!!

  3047. #3047RZucker2020-03-07 21:06

    I'm curious too, after Gene passed it just disappeared. If it still had the crate on the bed that was before the blower, after the blower it had a jail type cage around the engine with a stuffed "Garfield" in it and sign reading "Do not feed the animals"

  3048. #3048Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:13

    I remember the jail. I only saw it once with the blower... then divorce happened. I lost track of nearly everybody trying to neutralize the spin and pull up before I augered into the deck. I think it was the last time I saw Gene as well. It is odd the truck just vanished. I always thought it would turn up some where in the valley.

  3049. #3049Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:17

    It's in Zilla. Now here's one you rear engine folks haven't seen, experimental 1940 Ford.

  3050. #3050Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:21

    That’s cool never saw that image before. It looks like you could boil twice the amount of water then usual !! Who built that Ford or like Marmon

  3051. #3051RZucker2020-03-07 21:24

    That's one of Ford's twin engine haulers for the B-24 wings.

  3052. #3052Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:26

    [It's in Zilla]----That thing above has no history, no one knows if Circo or Merry Neville built it or just some frankin himer's looking for a weekend project.

  3053. #3053Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:30

    It seems like if you were going to to that much effort a war surplus Merlin would have been the ticket. Probably could have bought it for about 4 dollars at the time!

  3054. #3054RZucker2020-03-07 21:31

    Funny story, the night we finished up the hydraulic system to raise the bed, after bleeding the system and getting it all perfect and cleaning the truck... Gene says "lets go" (Saturday night cruise at Ruff's drive in in Kennewick) so off we went in dirty coveralls and greasy paws. But that was Gene.

  3055. #3055Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:31

    You two keep missing it---{It's in Zilla}.

  3056. #3056RZucker2020-03-07 21:32

    No I got it. might have to look it up.

  3057. #3057Old Doug2020-03-07 21:34

    When i saw it i think it just had a carb . What was the frame made of?

  3058. #3058Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:34

    I may have to catch a ride with OIH!

  3059. #3059RZucker2020-03-07 21:34

    My bad, the Ford twins had tandems with one engine driving each axle.

  3060. #3060Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:39

    Tea Pot exit east.

  3061. #3061RZucker2020-03-07 21:41

    Well it had a mix of frame... the bottom half with the front suspension was early 70's IH travelall with torsion bar springs the rear half was custom built from square tubing, also had a square tube subframe for the flatbed to rest on with polished aluminum panels to fill in the openings.

  3062. #3062Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:41

    RZ knows better th hmmm yep going toward granger

  3063. #3063RZucker2020-03-07 21:41

    I know that one.

  3064. #3064Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:43

    Those were built by Merry Neville.

  3065. #3065Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:45

    I am drawing a blank on that one

  3066. #3066Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:45

    Or Parker.

  3067. #3067RZucker2020-03-07 21:46

    Meaning Marmon-Herrington?

  3068. #3068RZucker2020-03-07 21:47

    Teapot gas station?

  3069. #3069Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:49

    That old gas station that was built after the Tea Pot Dome Scandal in the 1920's, you couldn't miss it it's a hysterical monument now.

  3070. #3070Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:49

    No I was there when it was moved during the highway fun in 78

  3071. #3071Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:50

    No, Merry-Neville.

  3072. #3072Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:51

    I remember my dad stopping there for gas in the early 60's.

  3073. #3073Old Doug2020-03-07 21:52

    I remember it had a diffrent kind of front suspension and the panels that covered the frame. At the time i thought it was cool and i was fascinated by the rear end.

  3074. #3074Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:52

    Oh geez I got it now!!! I just like to arrive at the party a little late!!

  3075. #3075RZucker2020-03-07 21:55

    Where did you see it?

  3076. #3076Truck Shop2020-03-07 21:55

    Little jackie paper is tired.

  3077. #3077Mother Deuce2020-03-07 21:59
  3078. #3078Old Doug2020-03-07 21:59

    I dont know i thought maybe a car show but i cant remember any other cars around. Would have been sometime in the early 80s?

  3079. #3079RZucker2020-03-07 22:04

    I see that now, Thorco was another that was big in that twin engine thing too.

  3080. #3080Mother Deuce2020-03-07 22:04

    LOL yes and I am going to join the keeper of the brushes and sealing wax.

  3081. #3081RZucker2020-03-07 22:07

    That's very possible. I got to know the owner in the later 80's.

  3082. #3082crane operator2020-03-21 10:19

    https://tulsa.craigslist.org/hvo/d/henryetta-older-model-kenworth-winch/7095323138.html $2,000 and he'll help load it for you. He originally had it posted as a 1967, but I don't think that is right year for it, and the ad has changed, but its still for sale. From the ad : "I'm doing a clean up job and this truck is on the property. From what the owner told me this truck ran some years back and will start. Engine turns over by hand. Has a small cam Cummins and a 13 speed transmission. Has tulsa winches on it. NO TITLE. Selling for $2000 or best offer. Please no low ball offers. I know what the engine and transmission are worth. Will help load. You will have to haul it yourself. If it doesn't sell within the next week I will put a battery in it and get it running and raise the price. Located near Henryetta, ok. Call or text show contact info for more information. Thank you."

  3083. #3083colson042020-03-21 11:40

    I don't know anything about this one, but thought I would share. I don't ever remember these trucks on the road when I was little as I think they had all rusted out by then. https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/hvo/d/washington-1963-model-mack/7080423965.html

  3084. #3084Mother Deuce2020-03-21 12:16

    Person could get a little romantic about that... until up you opened up the door and the lovely green interior comes back to haunt you!

  3085. #3085Truck Shop2020-03-21 18:13

    The KW above is mid sixties vintage, not much there. The winches are worth more than the truck by far. Yes MD that green is so wonderful isn't it.

  3086. #3086Old Doug2020-03-22 21:10

    Do you need a winch? I have a hard time scraping them but they dont have much value here.

  3087. #3087Old Doug2020-03-24 16:59

    Some of you guys have been around winch trucks before i wonder how much a single axle truck would lift. I have a IH gas engine longer wheel base truck, I was useing a 3/4ton chevy with duals. I have never been very imprest with the bigger truck after the little chevy. The chevy would haul 2000# down the road easy the IH is very front end light with 4000#

  3088. #3088Truck Shop2020-03-24 17:23

    Only what the rear axle is rated for.

  3089. #308956wrench2020-03-25 10:19

    or how the load is balanced fore and aft on the deck, or how much overhang at the rear axle. post some pictures

  3090. #3090Old Doug2020-03-25 19:26

    Its not home right now but the poles are hooked above the rear spring hangers about like the hinges on a dump truck.. I did this because it dosent have a bed and thats as close to the axle i could got and steal use the fifithwheel. I have another truck now so i may remove the F W and move them closer to the axle.The pickup i had i cut the springs of even with the rear of the tires and made a spring slider.

  3091. #3091RZucker2020-03-25 20:13

    Best place for a set of poles on a single drive is just over the front spring brackets for the rear axle.

  3092. #3092Truck Shop2020-03-25 20:21

    Or a Tee Pee.

  3093. #3093RZucker2020-03-25 20:24

    You know what I meant.

  3094. #3094Old Doug2020-03-25 22:04

    I have thought about this before but didnt do it because i thought i would be useing the fifthwheel and it would be harder to get the poles on and off but i have only had them off once in 18 or so years.

  3095. #3095Mother Deuce2020-04-02 04:17

    My buddy Uncle Pete is a crane operator who gifted me 46 pictures of a friends heavy haul company. Instead of just posting them I invited Pete to join the forum as he is also an accomplished welder, has restored a D7 and a John Deere, and could run Julia Childs right out of the kitchen. Pete has images of the family crane company that go pack quite a ways and he has the back stories on these 46 images of which I will post one now and he can fill in the blanks when he arrives here.

  3096. #3096Truck Shop2020-04-02 21:11

    I want to know what happened to that 57 ford 4dr with the squawk-a-doodle on the roof.

  3097. #3097Truck Shop2020-04-05 21:07

    The guy who built this was previously a house remodeler and specialized in odd floor plans.

  3098. #3098petepilot2020-04-05 22:08

    that rig would wear a guy out climbing around on it & getting in it

  3099. #3099RZucker2020-04-05 22:12

    I've seen that pic before, Kind of funny how nowadays they "squash" the cabs on car carriers.

  3100. #3100petepilot2020-04-05 23:40

    that rig would make a driver watch underpasses real close

  3101. #3101Old Doug2020-04-06 19:09

    I finely got my Freightliner started. It has a 6v92 i had pulled the valve covers off to unstick the injecters and found it has a lobe down on one cam. I would like to drive it home but the foot brake valve is stuck. If i was rich i would fix it up i dont think anyone would want it if not it may get scraped.

  3102. #3102petepilot2020-04-06 20:59

    I just put a new foot valve in a frt shkr that I have this past sat. must be catching

  3103. #3103Old Doug2020-04-06 21:45

    This one was last started in 1995. I had to hammer on the peddle to get it to move.

  3104. #3104Old Doug2020-04-08 19:37

    Took the peddle off the brake valve and got it freed up but it steal will not build over 40 psl after a long time running. It has a bad leak on the shifter but thats the only place i can hear air leaking. I may take my other truck and try to air it up to make sure it dosent have a bad leak or run the line off the compresser to a small tank to see if it will make more than 40psi.This truck has alot of lines on it and tanks compeared to newer trucks. If i was 20 agin i would have drove it home with out brakes. I wouldnt have to worry about going to fast cant get it out of low with out air.

  3105. #3105RollOver Pete2020-04-08 20:03

    The guy that built this one was light years ahead of his time? Na....

  3106. #3106RZucker2020-04-08 20:23

    Peter-shaker? Sorry, couldn't resist.

  3107. #3107crane operator2020-04-08 20:34

    Poor people gotts poor ways. Or "any port in a storm". Or- "Fred just rolled the pete and caved in the roof- lets bolt up that old shaker cabover from the weeds". I would think putting on that cab, was a lot of, and I mean a lot of work. That's really going to far, there's small children out there reading this that are scarred for life with that verbal image in their head.

  3108. #3108Old Doug2020-04-08 20:39

    What was he thinking or was his last truck to easy to work on or did he think most trucks were to easy to get in or out of?

  3109. #3109RZucker2020-04-08 20:56

    But if you take the doghouse out of that freight shaker you have a dance hall.

  3110. #3110Former Wrench2020-04-08 21:18

    Wow!

  3111. #3111Truck Shop2020-04-08 21:32

    This song fits that truck.

  3112. #3112petepilot2020-04-08 22:08

    I saw this critter in texas after the hole over the hood was covered and the whole thing painted blue didn't look to bad then and it ran

  3113. #3113mitch5042020-04-08 22:22

    Thanks Pete! I can't unsee that, you know. At least you are up high enough to see over that hood.

  3114. #3114petepilot2020-04-08 23:30

    I think that was a version of a usable ratrod

  3115. #3115RollOver Pete2020-04-09 11:26

    Perhaps Scania took the idea and ran with it?

  3116. #3116Old Doug2020-04-09 18:40

    I would have stuck with the cabover but i like to build stuff and use what i have but I would have lowered the cab so the hood was just under the windsheild i would also build some steps or some thing. This one is newer than mine the thing i see bad about the freight shaker is geting in and out of the sleeper like most cabovers.Back then you were ether driving or sleeping today you live in your truck cab so its nice to have some floor space.

  3117. #3117Truck Shop2020-04-09 19:52

    If I was a DOT/weigh master and that item crossed my scale you can bet the red light would come on. Also What insurance company would insure a monstrosity like that. A good place for either rigs above is right below. IMO

  3118. #3118petepilot2020-04-09 20:41

    at least you included that blue thing

  3119. #3119Truck Shop2020-04-09 21:34

    Sorry, I just can't do transformer looking vehicles. unfortunately I'm around that ugly crap all day.

  3120. #3120Truck Shop2020-04-12 21:08
  3121. #3121kshansen2020-04-13 15:50

    Well that sucks, I was waiting for him to run it through the gears going down the road!

  3122. #3122Truck Shop2020-04-13 17:47

    Well it is kind of a let down-**** ant video at that.

  3123. #3123crane operator2020-04-13 18:27

    I saw the first part of the video in the shed, and thought "australia" with the small toyota pickup and the dust. Then he starts to climb in the cab, and I'm thinking "Why is he climbing in the passenger side?". Yep, I'm that dumb. Its odd seeing everything on the wrong side in the cab pictures. I've never driven a right hand drive, I wonder how long it would take to get used to the shifter being over there. I find that I can't even steer with my right hand, even in my wife's little honda suv. Evidently my brain doesn't work that way anymore. Nice looking truck- but a trip down the road would have been nicer than just out of the barn and back in again.

  3124. #3124Old Doug2020-04-14 22:12

    My first thought was it was so close to the wall he couldnt get in the drivers side.

  3125. #3125Truck Shop2020-04-19 16:19

    Any of you old guy's remember what a bingo card was?

  3126. #3126Truck Shop2020-04-19 19:44

    Note the upper licence plate on the left side, It had a place for a tab for any state you had permits for and there was a fuel card that corresponded with the plate that was called a bingo card with a fuel stamp. And you had to have the tab in the right box because weigh cops would look for it there, if it wasn't in the right box on the plate you got a ration of **** for it.

  3127. #3127Mother Deuce2020-04-24 19:22

    Another couple images from my buddy’s collection.

  3128. #3128RollOver Pete2020-04-24 22:26

    Had them on my Mack in 1989. Speaking of remembering stuff... How about " keep right except when passing" . I don't believe they teach common road courtesy in truck drivers school anymore. They certainly don't teach common sense.

  3129. #3129tinnerjohn2020-04-25 08:10

    I was a "glass guy" from 75 till about 3 years ago when my shoulders and back said NO MORE! Ohio had fuel tax stickers that were glued to the left bottom corner of the windshield. When they started using clear tape so we just needed to cut around the edge and tape it back on we thought we'd gone to heaven. Sometimes I could even reuse the old tape! John

  3130. #3130petepilot2020-04-25 17:40

    remember them well. and I think I still have one of the plates stuck some where

  3131. #3131Old Doug2020-04-25 19:10

    I thought how in the world could you ever get all this and figure it out.

  3132. #3132petepilot2020-04-25 19:30

    very carefully

  3133. #3133Truck Shop2020-04-26 20:57

    Great advertising.

  3134. #3134Truck Shop2020-04-26 21:20

    Driving this in the southwest was probably like setting in a crock pot. The truck had no real speed and hot as hell in that cab, a true slow cooker.

  3135. #3135petepilot2020-04-26 21:46

    those were the days.

  3136. #3136dieseldog5.92020-05-14 15:38

    I was excited to see how they fit a V8 detroit under the hood, has anyone seen a b model with a mack V8? What would the Navajo truck have, a 671 detroit? Cool pictures either way.

  3137. #3137Truck Shop2020-05-14 18:18

    This LT sports a E9 Mack V8

  3138. #3138Old Doug2020-05-14 19:18

    I would drive all day thinking when the sun went down it would get better.

  3139. #3139Truck Shop2020-05-14 21:05

    I always run at night if I could, as far as sleeping I would stop atop mountain passes under some trees during the day.

  3140. #3140crane operator2020-05-14 22:39

    Trees? Trees? Oh- you were on the road somewhere other than S.E. washington. I also see you have a new occupation. Is it working out for you? Probably got put in for some of that "essential" worker hazard pay. As part of our front line force, to battle the healthy eating revolution. Greasy food helps the immune system fight the covid. Also- the Mack is looking pretty nice. Good to see you aren't just sitting around.

  3141. #3141RollOver Pete2020-05-14 22:52

    There's no replacement for displacement.

  3142. #3142Truck Shop2020-05-15 07:28

    This is a photo from the shop of the Blue Mountains-lots of trees. And I'm done talking about the virus.

  3143. #3143Truck Shop2020-05-15 21:53

    Something on another forum caused me to think of this hand built long hood.

  3144. #3144mitch5042020-05-15 23:43

    Now that's a pretty truck

  3145. #3145kshansen2020-05-16 10:35

    Yes pretty truck and other than worrying about getting a finger print on something or heaven forbid a scratch not a bad one to do engine work on!

  3146. #3146Old Doug2020-05-16 20:39

    Cool truck looks good with out aluminum wheels gives my daytons a chance to look good.

  3147. #3147DMiller2020-05-16 21:00

    Really was a bad day when the KW would come back in town, go all thru the license and permits book we had, recheck that Bingo Card for those coming up. Old times still hard memories.

  3148. #3148Truck Shop2020-05-16 21:13

    You can always tell where a owner operator lives, the mail box door is hanging open and it's stuffed to the max with bills.

  3149. #3149DMiller2020-05-16 21:15

    Remember those days too

  3150. #3150petepilot2020-05-16 21:22

    any idea who put that one together?

  3151. #3151Truck Shop2020-05-16 21:38

    Oh yeah, I know the guy who built it. he lives in Selah, Wa.

  3152. #3152doublewide2020-05-17 19:54

    Price keeps coming down... https://worcester.craigslist.org/cto/d/westminster-1988-ford-ltl-9000/7114933790.html

  3153. #3153Truck Shop2020-05-17 20:10

    Now that's worth buying, it has a hood on it. Extend the frame to 245" WB and throw those worthless Minnesota Mag wheels away on the drives-plus throw that lousy 8LL away and install a 13 or 18 and you have a worth while truck. It will just require some mods is all.

  3154. #3154DMiller2020-05-17 21:09

    Gets down around 8 or 9K and probably worth it, would not give more for it regardless condition.

  3155. #3155Truck Shop2020-05-17 21:21

    Everything anyone else has is always worth gold to them, and as long as tier 1 and 2 engines are around someone will buy it thinking they are beating the system. But it's only worth it to me-to hang some flower pots from the mirrors.

  3156. #3156DMiller2020-05-17 21:31

    LTL, No Ford parts available much anymore, just the Generic stuff. As noted those same MMs that the Dump Trucker had on the Corn Queen had issues locating. Will possibly be Outboard drums on Front cannot be on rear and the Noted 8LL, Lost Loser!! Not worth much here especially for a Farm Truck.

  3157. #3157Truck Shop2020-05-17 21:37

    It's worth more in parts and pieces .

  3158. #3158dieseldog5.92020-05-18 20:01

    Guys around here like that 8LL, and the hendrickson suspension, with spokes probably 46k rating, and the hood is in great shape, with a low mileage b cat. Worth 10k in parts. Whoever sold Ford heavy trucks here in New England, sold a ton of trucks,they are everywhere.

  3159. #3159doublewide2020-05-18 20:07

    I've heard that, especially with the dirt guys.

  3160. #3160Truck Shop2020-05-18 21:02

    Probably because they haven't driven anything but a 8 speed.

  3161. #3161DMiller2020-05-18 21:05

    Exactly. Only purpose to a 8LL is a Concrete truck or Asphalt/Rock spreader, for Highway not worth much without a brownie behind it.

  3162. #3162Tyler d4c2020-05-18 23:41

    Murry ford out of pa sold tons of them supposedly was before me I have a soft spot for them ltls tho

  3163. #3163DMiller2020-05-19 07:30

    Old Spicer 5x4 air spilt was not bad just not dual countershaft, took a reasonable amount of effort to make the splits well where will always prefer a Eaton Fuller 13, shifts too easy and spread is generally customizable for loads/engine/top speed.

  3164. #3164Truck Shop2020-05-19 07:31

    With today's engines and the low monstrous torque curves produced if a load can't be moved with low in a 13 or 18 then somethings up. Remember when 9 speeds were the rage, what a turd.

  3165. #3165DMiller2020-05-19 07:58

    Can remember when Spicer came out with that boat anchor Straight Gate Seven speed too!! Frame rail to Frame rail twin countershaft, were Huge Heavy and Awkward to work let alone drive!!

  3166. #3166crane operator2020-05-19 08:43

    I don't mind daytons, of course I'm all local travel and not trying to run 70mph either. They aren't as nice as hub pilot, but better than budds. I've got 3 rigs still running around on daytons, one on 20" rubber. Pay attention when you tighten them up and they aren't bad. For local running around, the 8LL isn't a big deal, Not everyone needs a 18sp. I think $12,000 is a little bit high, but it looks like a pretty clean truck. For just hauling around your local area, not trying to team drive 24 hours a day. You're not looking at everyday use right? For just pulling around a dozer or excavator every couple days, it looks pretty good to me. It would look a lot better at $9,000, but it may not get there. A pete or KW would have better resale, and you can find them also around that price range. Usually they are in much worse shape at that price range. Similar condition, the KW or pete will be worth $5,000 more $$$. And no way would I stretch the frame. Truck Shop lives in the great wide open. I'd hate to run big wheelbase around the back roads and towns of Mass. Short wheelbase turns short. Long wheelbase rides nice, but I don't think you're planning on spending all day in it.

  3167. #3167dieseldog5.92020-05-19 10:21

    I think O'conner in maine was a big seller of ford trucks, they had a nice cab. Quite a few still around with triaxle log loader bodies. When did the 18 speed come out? Seems like 8ll holds up well, or at least owners think they do. Had a 13 speed in a dump truck once, was great up the highway, but backing up a side street stradling open manholes to load a paver turned into short driveway left something to be desired. Some of the guys I work with think anymore gears than a mack 6 is a waste, and some think mack 12 speed is the best ever built, had one guy want to pull the 18 out and put a 12 in.

  3168. #3168DMiller2020-05-19 13:33

    Hard to beat a triplex Mack behind a Maxidyne 250-350hp. Not built for speed but longevity and hard life. Slow Low and Hammering.

  3169. #3169Tyler d4c2020-05-19 17:31

    My dad loved that trans in a dump truck I never got to drive one down the road so I cant say for it

  3170. #3170Truck Shop2020-05-19 18:16

    Yeah I would stretch that LTL and install a drop axle, so it could haul some weight-to hell with a dump truck. Better yet I would stretch it to 310" WB and build and install a 50 ton unit on it. Wide open spaces? Try delivering in the small markets on the west coast, no difference.

  3171. #3171doublewide2020-05-19 19:04

    Oh, you mean one of these? That's what we have in the high school band truck. It's well worn and the other driver has the attitude, "if she won't go, force her!"

  3172. #3172doublewide2020-05-19 19:08

    If I had loads of cash and little care about the future I'd buy that truck and sink loads of cash into it just so I could drive it around town and be cool, but alas, I still have two kids in college!

  3173. #3173dieseldog5.92020-05-19 19:26

    as I understand, the difficulty was the left hand through the steering wheel to shift both boxes with both hands, and dont be caught with both boxes out of gear

  3174. #3174Truck Shop2020-05-19 19:44

    That was for some just showing off. On the old PacCar cab overs the sticks were mounted on a stub with a pin through them to hold them inplace. I liked to pull the pins out and leave them out. When I had someone riding in the passenger seat I liked to pull one of the sticks up and hand it across the dog house to them and say {Here you shift for awhile}

  3175. #3175Truck Shop2020-05-19 19:53
  3176. #3176DMiller2020-05-19 20:22

    A Master at work

  3177. #3177DMiller2020-05-19 20:25

    One client had a Fleet of those damn things. Trans was pretty bullet proof but clutches were a different story where dragging those baby elephants out then getting back in Sucked Hind Teat. And the grand part they were in S 2250 Corn Queen Short nose conventionals behind 300 Cummins, TIGHT WB Tandems with a super short front drive line and the 115 gal box fuel tanks. Head banging mess to work under.

  3178. #3178petepilot2020-05-19 20:29

    my favorite was pull the aux stick off and stick it back under the sleeper then watch an over eager pump jockey try to move the truck

  3179. #3179DMiller2020-05-19 21:19

    1980 Tulsa Braden Winch rented a K100 400 Cummins spec’d to a 5&4 two stick To raise cab had to pull rear box stick! Had a rental ‘associate’ decided needed to move it out to show off to Braden Execs Stick was in the Bunk and he could not move it!!

  3180. #3180JPV2020-05-19 21:36

    In the early 2000's I drove a 79 Peterbuilt transfer dumptruck with a 300 Cummins with no jakes and one of those 7 speeds. The truck came out of the flatlands in Texas, it didn't work very good in Western Washington. We did a lot of upgrading to that old girl and it is still on the road last I new.

  3181. #3181mitch5042020-05-19 23:24

    I used to have 5 CH 613 tractors with EM7-300s and straight 7-speeds, 4:56 rears. They would pull hell off the hinges-slooowly. Ex Matlach tanker yankers. Great trucks, if you weren't in a hurry. SC declared a state of emergency after back-to-back tropical storms, had a mud boil under the dam at Pinopolis. They called in trucks that could haul 10,000 lb+ armor stone from everywhere, I had 2 big rock trailers, we ran 24-7 for 15 days. We were only 30 miles from home, but there were trucks from 1000 miles away running with us. One day we loading on the quarry floor at North Columbia, because they couldn't bring it up fast enough. they were loading 3 trucks at a time, to 100,000, and we took off up the ramp. I shifted twice climbing the ramp, but the 2 road trucks behind me couldn't get out of low. The 2 drivers went crazy on the cb, I had walked off from a 550 and a 600. They wanted to know what I had, I told them a Maxi-torque 300, and they demanded to see it, then accused me of switching valve covers. We rolled off the scales and onto the hills on I-26. I walked away from them up to 25 mph, then I topped out at 30, and they went 60. Then they believed me!

  3182. #3182Truck Shop2020-05-20 07:40

    Sounds like those two couldn't drive.

  3183. #3183Truck Shop2020-05-20 18:35

    Mack 300 maxi torque-1425 lbft torque at 1025 rpm Cat 3406E 550 peak torque 1850 lbft at 1200 rpm https://thompsonmachinery.com/content/uploads/2017/04/3406E-550hp.pdf I would imagine the 3406E 550 is somewhere in the area of 1450lbft torque at 1025. just sayin folks.

  3184. #3184DMiller2020-05-20 19:41

    Pushed that 3406E I was driving across Antire Quarry hill here at average 60mph at top W to E with somewhere well over 50K of grain on it, 6% grade for just over a mile, drop three(incl Splits) gears climbing with last few hundred yards steady speed. Not WA state but severe enough for around here.

  3185. #3185Truck Shop2020-05-20 19:55

    15 years ago the company had two Signature 600 Cummins. Those two would run but drive tires took a beating. About 30,000 miles less on a set of drives than our other rigs rated at 525.

  3186. #3186dieseldog5.92020-05-20 21:07

    Something special about how an old mack makes power, forget that those 2 engines are years apart but the Cat is 15 liters and the mack is what 11. The lower the RPMs on the mack get the more the turbo spools.

  3187. #3187Truck Shop2020-05-20 21:26

    That's quite true, but from the stand point of torque to rpm the cat comes in level at 1200 at 1850 and stays there. And like said the cat is around 1450 at 1025. Those two drivers in the post above weren't out of power they were afraid to shift on a grade that was the problem plus they didn't step into it from the git-go. IMHO. I've been around the 300 maxi torque.

  3188. #3188crane operator2020-05-20 21:40

    You need to be looking a little harder for cheap trucks. This one has a little dumping flat bed on it, but I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to put back on a 5th wheel. $8,500 https://fayar.craigslist.org/hvo/d/berryville-ford-9000-dump-truck/7116337733.html

  3189. #3189dieseldog5.92020-05-20 21:41

    your talking about the pucker. Maybe I can get another gear but if I can't, got to start out in the basement, on a hill.

  3190. #3190dieseldog5.92020-05-20 21:45

    L9000 vs LTL, still have a soft spot for an LTL, must be all those ertil toys as a kid in the 70s.

  3191. #3191mitch5042020-05-20 21:50

    The Macks have always tolerated low RPM operation better than others, reference nothing else would live in front of a 5-speed at 80,000lbs. I doubt those highway trucks had 5.56 rears, either; but, I like Truck Shops interpretation that it was ALL DRIVER SKILL!

  3192. #3192Truck Shop2020-05-20 22:00

    When I ran into Vancouver B.C. every night I had two routes, the freeway or cross at Sumas and go up through Cloverdale through Surrey. After Cloverdale there were two 10% grades up over two ridges one after another with a stop light at the bottom of each. If you made the light you just backed out of it and waited, dropped it in the low side fourth gear on the grade. you couldn't down shift fast enough. I was coming down the last one-one morning and watched a truck power out coming up. He was trying to down shift finally grabbed one and shot the driveline on the pavement. Driving is way more than holding a steering wheel. The reason mitch504 pulled away from those two is he knew what he had and drove it so.

  3193. #3193Truck Shop2020-05-20 22:02

    Above you said 4.56.

  3194. #3194Truck Shop2020-05-20 22:25
  3195. #3195mitch5042020-05-20 22:30

    I've actually never seen 5.56 rears, that's why I doubt they had them

  3196. #3196crane operator2020-05-20 22:32

    Ah, the dreaded stoplight at the bottom of a hill. There are two worse things- a stoplight just before the top of a hill, and of course- the one in the middle of a hill. Let off the brakes, on the throttle and let the clutch out all at the same time- without smoking the clutch, killing the engine, or leaving the driveline lay. I think I've done all three at one time or another. I may have done all three at the same time .......... And well - 4.56-5.56- if you can't just throw out random numbers among friends and liars, what kind of truck driver would you be? I won't even tell you the story of my 2 stroke 60 series detroit, that put out 1878 hp to my 76,000lbs planetary sun gear, hub pilot dayton rears. It had a 24 speed multiplex, brownie power tower, syncromesh spicer, running double overdrive with a big hole. It was in a set back front axle, long nose freightshaker. 152" wheel base with a 87" condo sleeper. I drove from the sleeper sitting on a milk crate, that anderson erickson dairy is still going to prosecute for having in my possession. Cobra 29 locked in with a linear ham radio amplified mofset, running 157 amps through twin 102" whips- they could hear me on the moon. Those were the days

  3197. #3197petepilot2020-05-20 22:37

    me n earl was haulin chickins

  3198. #3198doublewide2020-05-21 05:06

    What would be your preference? The Cat or the N14?

  3199. #3199Truck Shop2020-05-21 07:17

    I'm not sure but I think crane operator watched a little too much in the way of TV truck'in shows. What would make that better is a convoy of cranes.

  3200. #3200DMiller2020-05-21 07:29

    Mack has one edge, Double Reduction gearing in those old Top Loaders.

  3201. #3201Truck Shop2020-05-21 07:33

    Co knows both those engines front to back and sideways too-because he had a monster 2 stroke series 60.

  3202. #3202RollOver Pete2020-05-21 09:29

    Big Ben, this here's the Rubber Duck and I'm about to put the hammer down 10-4.

  3203. #3203crane operator2020-05-21 15:03

    All kidding aside- I don't think it really matters. The 3406 is expensive if you have to have a head reman. Rebuilding the cat injection pump won't be cheap either. The cat will make more torque and power. The cummins will have better jakes and parts will be cheaper. Really for just pulling around a lowboy with a excavator/ backhoe/ dozer, it won't make any difference. Don't turn your nose up if you can find a truck with a 12.7 detroit either- I have one of those too and its a good engine. I think you just look at the overall condition of the truck, buy it right so you have some $$$ to fix what is going to break, and run it. I can't usually find exactly what I want when buying a truck, so I just try to find one that's close to what I want at a price I can live with. Change what absolutely won't work for what you want to do, and go on with life. They all break and all have things go wrong, but anything in a 12.7, 3406 b or e model, or big cam/ n14 cummins in the pre 2000's trucks are going to be fine. You'll always find guys that will only drive cat, or only cummins, or only a KW or Pete- kind of like the Ford/chevy/ dodge pickup arguments. but really its about point a to point b with the best reliability for the least cost, and I don't think any of those engines is a bad choice.

  3204. #3204Truck Shop2020-05-21 17:14

    Crane operator my company is looking at changing over from the DD15's to Cummins X15's what do you think of those? being you have a new occupation as a trucking industry consultant. We want to make the right move and keep the costs on the super low side.

  3205. #3205dieseldog5.92020-05-21 19:40

    With the X15 did they solve the problem of the pistons coming out the side of the block? Feel like nobody talks about detroits, they just seem to run cargo up and down the road. The caterpillars have the braging rights because they have the coolist stickers to put across the window, if trucking was about stickers Cat would be the bestest.

  3206. #3206crane operator2020-05-21 20:02

    I hear your company has excellent mechanics doing all the work, so it makes no difference what you buy. I hear this new stuff is all computer controlled and will tell you through the screen whatever might be wrong. They order their own parts - simple simple simple. They even have changed these brake systems to disc instead of drum- will save on your labor and moving those heavy drums, less moving parts and a better system all around. Its all about making it easier to service and identify the super rare hiccups in the system. The manufacturers are all looking out for you today. As far as saving costs- I doubt the trucks are getting cheaper- seems like labor and overhead in the maintenance facility may be the only place to cut. Looks like no more starbucks coffee in the break room. Break times are going to have to be cut, and no more OT either. There's going to be a stop to the 1 1/2 hour lunches on the expense account too. I heard scuttlebut about putting in to the county rotation and to do some AAA lock out and jump start calls with the tow truck to make ends meet. I think I saw a report about taking in some outside trucks and doing tire work too. Everyone will just have to pull together in these tough times.

  3207. #3207Truck Shop2020-05-21 20:28

    Damn I was right! I knew you would steer a straight line, in your first life you must have sold vacuum cleaners C.O..

  3208. #3208Old Doug2020-06-02 21:29

    I took my other truck and ran a airline to the freightliner to see if i could figure out why i couldnt build more than 40psi. I didnt know if it was a pump problem or something else my other truck held 80 psi and the FL showed 40 and leaked off as soon as the air was stopped to it. I couldnt hear air leaking any were other than the shifter were is the air going? I should have started the FL but i didnt have a battery with me.

  3209. #3209DMiller2020-06-03 06:41

    Probably have to disconnect at the Air Compressor discharge and then try to air up with a larger volume as a Electric Compressor with a big tank.

  3210. #3210Old Doug2020-06-03 21:29

    I plugged off the leveling valve on the air bags started the truck let it get to 35 psi then hocked up a 100# propane tank but got no higher. I may have to towbar it.

  3211. #3211Tenwheeler2020-06-04 22:55

    Looking for a big leak I thank and maybe more than one. Anyway to put smoke to it? Run a a little freon in it before the air and use a sniffer? Probably a bad idea just thanking outloud.

  3212. #3212Old Doug2020-06-05 10:27

    I could run some propane in it and get a sniffer from work.If every thing gos ok i will have a hitch on the back of my other truck this weekend so i can ether tow it home or 1 1/2 miles to were i can use a big compressor.

  3213. #3213dieseldog5.92020-06-05 10:34

    Upcoming Richie Brothers Auction Nashville TN

  3214. #3214Truck Shop2020-06-05 19:52

    That B61 had a tow unit on it and for sale for the last five years. They must have had a offer for the unit minus the mack, pretty sure that's the one. Someone needs to rework the Square drive on the drivers outside door handle, it's drooping towards hell.

  3215. #3215DMiller2020-06-05 20:20

    Looks a piece together, Budds rear, likely a tandem cutoff transplant, by front hanger Corn Queen four spring, Minnesota Mags front but NOT Mack, late fuel tanks.

  3216. #3216crane operator2020-06-17 22:13
  3217. #3217crane operator2020-06-17 22:13
  3218. #3218Truck Shop2020-06-18 07:35

    With center point steering yet and military bed.

  3219. #3219mitch5042020-06-18 12:16

    Is it just the pic, or is that a long spread on the tandem? One pic looks like it is, one it doesn't. They didn't all have all those windows, did they?

  3220. #3220DMiller2020-06-18 12:45

    Ford's answer to the Crackerbox GMC, only with a Sunroom!!!

  3221. #3221Truck Shop2020-06-18 17:12

    Well if you look closely at the photo----------those opera/panoramic widows were added. I have seen many many of those Rubik's cube cabovers years ago and never saw or found any such options in any of my books and one is specifically on Ford trucks. Because of the tow/recovery unit on the back {not a wrecker unit} it was not uncommon when cabovers were used for that purpose a window was added, but with all the windows----------- where are the French Doors and Chandelier. But those units built in those years with short wheel base were a turd for leverage. It has a 52" rear axle spread.

  3222. #3222mitch5042020-06-19 00:29

    For whatever reason, Ford had almost no market share of road trucks here. A few crackerbox cabovers, and many, many vocational type conventionals. The first class 8 truck I drove was I think an f-950 that my father owned and my brother drove. Had (I think) a 534 gas engine. I know it was a big gas engine, with a factory hood scoop. My father never bought a diesel truck. He never drove any of them. In 1977-79 he leased 3 Transtar IIs, and was annoyed that he couldn't get gas tractors anymore. He bought the ford after finishing that contract and returning them. I learned to drive in 1979 in a 1977 Loadstar 1900 with an mv446 that he bought brand new, and I was still running it in the '90s. I bought a 2375 with an L10, and he said we would never be able to afford to run it. The 1900 carried 75 gallons of gas, and I had to drive it to lunch, because it wouldn't run all day on that. The L10 would run all day on 30 gallons of diesel.

  3223. #3223Truck Shop2020-06-19 07:28

    The GMC 702 V12 gas pot in the early 60's was a gas pig {about 3 to the gallon on a good day}. Years ago one pulling a food grade tanker hauled the milk away from our dairy looked just like the dark green one below.

  3224. #3224DMiller2020-06-19 07:49

    Was a lot of people afraid of the early diesels, knew them to be money pits where could buy gas cheap and trucks did not usually stick around long enough to rebuild. Concrete plant at one quarry I worked in had a line of old Ford 750, 850 and 950 units all equipped with from 534 down to 429 engines where also had some IHC trucks and a few odd Hump nose GMs all gas, had gas pony engines for the mixers as well and required refill at least twice per day both tanks. They finally swapped to diesels around the mid eighties as big Gas engines were harder to come by and fuel cost prohibitive. Old gas trucks relegated to a dead line sat and slowly rotted until quarry was bought out then scrapped. Most of the aux power units went to work as pump drive engines to keep quarry water under control and just swapped out as died.

  3225. #3225Birken Vogt2020-06-19 09:45

    I came across this treasure trove yesterday. I don't think I have ever seen a Dodge in person. They were not popular around here. Around the corner from the old KW to the right of the crane is an old F-something stakeside. It looks like it may still be used occasionally.

  3226. #3226DMiller2020-06-19 10:52

    Old dodges used the same cab as the 1950s pickups, TINY is leaving much room for sympathy, front fenders swung Out and flopped around as aged thus 'Flop Fendered Dodge' , hard to access any components Gas engines, damned near impossible diesels with a HUGE Doghouse hump in the cab. Noisy, hot, poorly designed. The needle nose is rather good condition from a distance.

  3227. #3227Truck Shop2020-06-19 11:18

    The smaller the cab the better, easier to roll the passenger side window down and no air or electrical run into the door. Keeps the f@rts trapped.

  3228. #3228DMiller2020-06-19 11:20

    At 6'2" always was a fun day in a B-Mack, or a R-Corn Queen, and the Dodges were smaller yet!!!

  3229. #3229mitch5042020-06-19 12:01

    Keeping the f@rts trapped was usually the only heat

  3230. #3230dieseldog5.92020-06-19 15:18

    I own a 65 GMC with the 305ci V6. I have been on the hunt for a Pete like the one in the picture, took a trip to Cortland Trucks last summer window shoping.

  3231. #3231Old Doug2020-06-19 19:07

    My 366 on LP got 3.5 driving it home i hope it does better on gas 6 would be great. My 330 ford will do 10 mpg loaded or not and it dogs on the smallest grade unloaded.

  3232. #3232mowingman2020-06-19 22:57

    Until last year, we had 60 old school buses with the 366 on propane. They averaged 4.5 MPG. The newer buses on propane with Ford V10's, also averaged 4.5 MPG. I don't think it gets much better with any big propane powered vehicle.

  3233. #3233DMiller2020-06-20 06:00

    Propane has only half the BTUs of Gasoline Takes twice as much to generate similar HP Fueled my LP grain truck twice now, first was $.75 a gallon second was .82. Only benefits for me it does not sour, no choke and will start every time I want it running no gummed up carb no matter how long sitting.

  3234. #3234Truck Shop2020-06-20 07:36

    With propane engine can run higher compression ratio and cylinder heads don't need rotator on exhaust valves but hard valve seats are a must. Oil lasts a long time.

  3235. #3235DMiller2020-06-20 07:41

    Really DRY fuel, no lubrication qualities at all as burns to next to nothing exhausted.

  3236. #3236DMiller2020-06-20 09:13

    Metro here was running CNG Cummins until two years ago, could not keep valves in them, burnt them to a crisp!!

  3237. #3237Birken Vogt2020-06-20 11:29

    All the garbage trucks around here are CNG Cummins, and there are a lot of them. They seem to work. But I am sure like anything they have strange and expensive problems.

  3238. #3238DMiller2020-06-20 15:19

    Cummins was NUTS as to keeping up with the bus repairs as remained under warranty two years, could not keep a head on any of them more than nine months. Two years and TRADED Off!!

  3239. #3239Truck Shop2020-06-20 21:49

    With propane or CNG, cylinder heads-valves, valve guides have always been the weak area. Valve seals can cause dry guides in some instances.

  3240. #3240Old Doug2020-07-03 20:21

    I had a plan to got some brakes on my freightliner so i can get it home. Today i blocked off every thing but the wet tank and one axle brakes useing shop air hoses i now have some brakes. But it has 4 drive tires that are not blown out and they are not were they need to be and 2 tires have to be removed because of bad seperations.So tomorrow i will replace one out side tire so it will have one tire up on each corner then i will cut off a inside tire. Everything has gone wrong on this deal so fare trying to move it 7 miles by my self.

  3241. #3241DMiller2020-07-03 21:18

    Be careful on the move, hope you success and no pain in getting the beast to the house.

  3242. #3242Truck Shop2020-07-03 21:41

    Take your time and you will get it home Doug.

  3243. #3243mowingman2020-07-03 21:59

    But think of all the fun you are having!!!

  3244. #3244Old Doug2020-07-04 14:02

    I made it.I was very discouraged last night after sorting the tires out. I thought it out and dismounted one outside tire and mounted up another i had problems getting it aired up with a air tank my coworker came buy and helped me out the blaster wasnt doing it so i used eather second try it worked. I rigged up a valve for the brakes a 3/8 ball valve put air to the brakes and a blowgun released the presser.I had my hands full steering and brakeing. The gas peddle wouldnt return so i wired my boot to it but it came off and i was pulling it back up buy hand . No air to anything so couldnt shift ranges i thought it would be in low but i think it was in direct because it would do 30mph in 4th easy that was top speed on this trip. The first place i had to turn off the black top i hit the brake valve with my arm i didnt know what was going on the engine was pulling down when i clutched it so maybe roll off the road i figured it out and released the brakes after that the truck didnt give any problems. It took over 40 minutes but i made it.

  3245. #3245colson042020-07-05 06:52

    Sounds like a wild ride. Got any pictures of your truck?

  3246. #3246petepilot2020-07-05 13:53

    Doug. Where there's a will there's a way

  3247. #3247Old Doug2020-07-05 19:09

    Here it is i removed the grill to lube the linkage.

  3248. #3248Old Doug2020-07-05 19:18

    Brake valve i was going to screw it to the dog house but i was to excited about hitting the road.So i just ran the hoses through the window.

  3249. #3249DMiller2020-07-05 19:30

    A little work and good as new!! Good luck on the new project. My Left shoulder aches seeing the grab handle style, missed a swinging grab, stuck arm thru handle, missed the step kind of dislocated my left shoulder back a few dozens years.

  3250. #3250Old Doug2020-07-05 20:15

    I dont know if it will a project i hated to see it scraped so i bought it thinking i could sale it that was before i found the cam problem. I will hang on to it and see what happens.

  3251. #3251Theweldor2020-07-05 21:11

    Stretch it out to about a 240" wheel base add a couple fuel tanks and someone will fetch it up. Those old cabovers ride pretty nice with some length to them.

  3252. #3252Old Doug2020-07-05 21:31

    With no air in the seat and no air in the bags i couldnt believe it but it rode alot better than my c70.

  3253. #3253crane operator2020-07-11 16:47
  3254. #3254DMiller2020-07-11 16:56

    Can someone say Dumbass!!!

  3255. #3255petepilot2020-07-11 18:39

    to many chiefs not enough Indians.

  3256. #3256DMiller2020-07-11 18:45

    Then they are standing on the downhill lean side, Darwin back in season.

  3257. #3257Truck Shop2020-07-11 19:44

    Thanks for posting that C.O., I had a very long day and needed a smile. It's nice to see a simple job turn to crap.

  3258. #3258DMiller2020-07-11 20:53

    Towards the end reminded me of the Good old days when took deck sets of Junkers to El Paso to send over the border for the Mexicans to try to use. In 1977 the trucks could NOT be taken across the line 'Intact', were a set of goons with gas axes on the border crossing, derelict got bought and hauled to the line, torches fired off, frame dumped into two pieces and both dragged across the border. Spent HOURS in a bar near to the scene where the Mexican "Trucker Mechanics" would Butt Weld the frames have drive lines off time, fire up runaway Detroits to attack it like ants to a dropped fruit when it finished eating itself, have cabovers flipped up start them but be in gear and they would crash into some other machines. Absolutely GREAT for entertainment!!! Best yet were the street urchins trying to pimp for someone, comments like 'Hey Meester, want me Seester, she a Virgin Like me Madre' were VERY typical.

  3259. #3259crane operator2020-07-11 20:54

    I figured you'd get a chuckle out of that. It helps me to know that no matter how messed up my day is, there's people out there like those boys trying to load a truck, and they somehow make it through their days too.

  3260. #3260petepilot2020-07-11 20:56

    way back when 68-69 I had just pulled in to a parking spot at the old Colton Texaco ts in cal. two trucks to my left headed the other way had their rear doors open and 4-5 guys watching . across the lot came a guy on a big motorcycle headed for a single 2x10 about 12 ' long propped in one of the refer trlrs he`s doing about 20 I`d guess and he almost made it into the trlr . just about time the rear wheel cleared the halfway point of that board it broke`dumped him bike&board upside down back into the parking lot. the guy was still alive when the ambulance hauled him away . did not ever hear whether he survived or not but I have my doubts the bike had to be 6-700 lbs. he probably weighed 220

  3261. #3261old-iron-habit2020-07-11 23:23

    Nothing like adding another 1,000 lbs of static load to it by hitting it hard. Most likely would have broke anyway but he may have had a chance of not getting quite as injured going slow.

  3262. #3262DMiller2020-07-12 07:35

    Too easy to get a wrecker to lift or someone with a dock ramp to allow loading, going cheap and quick tends to end badly. Herder loading the freight shaker evidently had no clue as to how to drive, what a power divider is for, how NOT to load a tandem etc etc etc. Been better off to use another truck as a helper to get up the ramp then load it GENTLY, or if not incorrect is at a yard with a LARGER towmotor so could have aided with a push until duals were able to drive forward.

  3263. #326356wrench2020-07-12 11:02

    well, that certainly was entertaining

  3264. #3264Tugger22020-07-12 11:06

    When i get odd stuff to load on a stepdeck i call the nearest wrecker that has a tilt deck. Run onto the tilt deck then back up to the trailer and roll on no fuss no muss no ramps.

  3265. #3265Truck Shop2020-07-12 12:51

    The problem with most people is thought of having to spend a little money to do the job right/safely, instead they are cheap and put others in danger.

  3266. #326656wrench2020-07-13 10:42

    a little imagination goes a long way, but any job should be done safely and with risk assessment

  3267. #3267DMiller2020-07-13 12:29

    Goes back to 'Hey watch me load this truck FAST'. Another is 'Hold My Beer, I got this'.

  3268. #3268Truck Shop2020-07-13 18:47

    Actually I really dislike the idea of video capabilities with the cell phone/or cell phones at all. But in this case as shown above as long as every video shows stupid people doing stupid stuff that's good. Problem is someone probably was holding his beer, the 5th one he had that day. Instant stupid -just add alcohol.

  3269. #3269crane operator2020-07-13 19:23

    What I can't figure out, is how they didn't get a driveline, axle, or third member. I guess with no weight on the tires, they would freely spin, and saved the drive system.

  3270. #3270DMiller2020-07-13 19:33

    I was figuring had SQHDs in it, explode a side gear in the PD or drop a axle shaft as he was mangling rubber. Just too stupid.

  3271. #3271Truck Shop2020-07-13 20:00

    Dumb luck.

  3272. #3272Truck Shop2020-07-14 21:27

    https://siskiyou.craigslist.org/hvo/d/yreka-1945-peterbilt/7143730030.html

  3273. #3273Truck Shop2020-07-14 21:31

    https://redding.craigslist.org/hvo/d/cottonwood-3-axle-autocar/7147826974.html

  3274. #3274DMiller2020-07-15 06:58

    Not often will find a older cab with the drop down air is gone kiss your own Ass goodbye flags still in it. Still in rather solid shape for a 45

  3275. #3275Truck Shop2020-07-15 07:36

    I almost put a Wig-Wag in the B75.

  3276. #3276mitch5042020-07-15 08:54

    You should have.

  3277. #3277Truck Shop2020-07-15 09:01

    Didn't want any air lines running in top of cab.

  3278. #3278DMiller2020-07-15 09:02

    So much adrenaline when the weak ones would drop down at any given moment not necessarily low air!

  3279. #3279DMiller2020-07-15 09:04

    Old Diamond wrecker I ran had one like that but we had converted it to spring cans so no runaways It would take a fancy and drop thru slot in w/s cornice at any given time or bounce Finally removed for a buzzer.

  3280. #3280Old Doug2020-07-25 21:35

    I put my truck to work and made some money moveing a storage trailer my brother set me up with this job. He bid it high and told me about it. It was close to Kansas City were the trailer was and it was comeing back closer to me. There are very few guys around that have a truck that will take time out to do somethig like this he was thrilled to see me show up. My brother told me that the trailer was in a bad spot and i may need a tow to get it moved. It was on a hill side pointing the wrong way then i had to go down hill turn around go throw a gate then clime a steep grassy hill to the road. The trailer was loaded and it had a liftgate to add more weight. I got turned around and started to get a run at the hill but it was soft and my truck wouldnt pull in any gear but first so half way up the hill i spun out. The owner had a f350 4x4 with a water tank in the back all most full i had my doubts but it was just what was needed to get me up the hill. I got on the highway and my first thought was this may be more than a 366 wants it was very hilly and curvy it pulled it ok its not a 400 hp Diesel but it also didnt pull the guts out of it. Not a good picture but i was trying to find a paint that is close to the frame color this is close IH blue

  3281. #3281crane operator2020-08-06 20:11
  3282. #3282crane operator2020-08-06 20:12

    For sale for only $16,000. Beautiful stretch, and if I might add, a lovely two tone paint scheme...

  3283. #3283Truck Shop2020-08-06 20:22

    Little short on the inside liner and the fact he welded it to outside rail is a pretty scary deal. Couldn't afford two 10' formed liners-it all went to paint and worthless fenders. But not mine so I don't care.

  3284. #3284JPV2020-08-08 14:33

    [] Here is my bosses almost finished product of 3 years of work when there is time. It went down to the frame rails and is turning out good. 1979 W900L with a 3408 and retarder, 18 speed and 46000 lb rearends on AG 460 8 bag suspension. Needs interior and pinstriping plus all the rest of the little things that take lots of time.

  3285. #3285Truck Shop2020-08-08 15:21

    Can't go wrong with a W900AL, very nice looking.

  3286. #3286JPV2020-08-08 15:37

    Thanks TS, coming from you that means something!

  3287. #3287DMiller2020-08-08 16:29

    The Eagle is not appealing but at least the guy was trying. Do really like the W900.

  3288. #3288Truck Shop2020-08-08 16:57

    I agree he did try on the eagle but the frame is a safety issue and when visiting truck shows you will see more things like that than you can shake a stick at. Hobbyist work that is flat scary. One show I went to 4 years ago now there was a 359 Pete that was done up like the eagle above. Upon checking out the rear drives I noticed there were no park brake cans on either axle . Singles only, the owner had plugged off the QR valve and installed single bladders because he was short on green. It was a show truck but---------------------.

  3289. #3289Truck Shop2020-08-08 17:10

    This W900AL I wanted to rebuild but the guy who owned it just wanted a crazy amount for it with bent rails and a messed up top cab corner. These people think these items are worth a fortune, but they will never do anything with them because they have no ambition. The amount of time/effort and cash to do one right adds up damn fast, so a person can't pay much for them. If it is a hulk that's just what it is a hulk and it doesn't mater whether it's a 55 chevy or a maserati . Only fools think it's worth gold.

  3290. #3290DMiller2020-08-08 17:19

    Would love to gain a 3408 but out of my range just to start on one!! JY has a Nice old A-Car project well underway but once I lose current projects may not be looking to another that big. Time and miles has beaten me pretty hard.

  3291. #3291Cody danos2020-08-09 15:00

    speaking of w900.... this thing sounds awesome

  3292. #3292Truck Shop2020-08-09 16:24

    This is a very nice Pete, and actually worth the cash. https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/union-1986-peterbilt-359-exhd/7174317818.html

  3293. #3293mitch5042020-08-09 21:07

    Wow, I can't believe $45,000 for an '86

  3294. #3294Truck Shop2020-08-09 21:25

    Being a 1986 it's the last of the 359 EXHD and the last of the Mohican's. You could actually make money with this truck. Or buy a new one for $175,000. And eat the depreciation.

  3295. #3295Old Doug2020-08-09 21:32

    I have thought for a long time used trucks,pickups,cars, and alot of other things were very cheap because of how much use a smart person could get out of them.

  3296. #3296Birken Vogt2020-08-09 23:19

    Still all mechanical, not much planned obsolescence in that one. Most parts can be repaired by a machinist if you can't get a new one. 1990s trucks might have been better originally but their electronics are starting to get long in the tooth and this one does not depend on electronics to run. Then in the 2000s things started to get over-regulated and have not been the same since.

  3297. #3297mitch5042020-08-10 00:53

    Oh, I have nothing against '80s trucks, I have several that work for their living, but I have always been astonished at what something like that will bring, just because it IS a 359 EXHD. After all, it won't pull any more weight than my POS Volvo, that has one of the last mechanical 3406s. I payed $7500 for it, and I know it has less than 300,000 miles on it, because I know it's whole history.

  3298. #3298Truck Shop2020-08-10 04:06

    You said the main/key word Mitch-Volvo. People don't want good or great when in business they want cheap. Sorry I'm just not into Volvo Trucks, There are only a few trucks that aren't throw away.

  3299. #3299DMiller2020-08-10 04:56

    Not much today not throw away sorry to say That Pete looks as has been gone thru so has had a lot of coin dropped on it where became a investment looking for that one person that will buy it but they all get old just some better and slower than others. 97 Pete I drove I would not give $20k or even $10k for as knew the wagon, it was tired and coming due for everything, a true money pit. Been in newer cabs, really pretty really fancy but like the 2017 Exploder I bought the wife have all manner of small interconnected bells whistles special gizmos and toys that if not all playing together play with no one but the wrench at the shop.

  3300. #3300Truck Shop2020-08-10 08:53

    That 86 Pete is a perfectly spec'ed tractor, in top hole it's turning 1450 rpm at 62 mph. It has the proper wheel base, the right size fuel tanks, not to heavy, leather interior, jakes and retarder the list goes on.

  3301. #3301mitch5042020-08-10 13:15

    Oh, yeah. That Volvo is a POS as far as cab and chassis electrical. It's really just a rebadged White, and the new badge didn't help it a bit. I used to buy 5 year old Macks when I was in the trucking business. Paying more for one brand than the same spec and condition of another is just like Toyota vs Lexus, if you got the money and want it, why not? The other thing on an old truck is parts availability on cab, etc. As far as that being the perfect spec, put it beside my Volvo w/ the low geared full-locking 46k rears, low-hole 9 speed, and 400 cat. Then try to push a loaded 24' dump trailer through the edge of the ditch, and out into a field. Horses for courses, as they say. Most all of our trips are 50 miles or less.

  3302. #3302Truck Shop2020-08-10 17:55

    Well that Pete is a OTR rig far from a dump truck, as far as I'm concerned any truck with heavy specs is ok for a dump. All those rigs do is get used and abused rode hard and put up wet. Your talking two totally different vocations. For over the road the tractor and trailer can't be much over 31,000 then add full tanks of fuel. You need too be able to haul at least 45,000 to 47,000 net or 22 boards. And that's with a 36" plus king pin setting on the trailer. And that's just a GVW of 80,000. These tractors with super sized sleepers run 20,000 to 23,000 lbs before trailer most can only net 40,000 lbs. Pretty worthless. You can still buy all the cab, hood, fenders and any interior parts for that Pete, in those days a truck was built to rebuild and continue running. My old 1966 Pete was completely redone mechanically. In 1966 it came with a 335 Cummins, 5x4 gear boxes and SQHD rear drives and manual steering, I changed it over to a BCIII 400 with a 14613 spd 3:73 SQ100's on Pete Air Leaf with outside frame steering from a 82 Pete 359. Other than it being old it would run day in and day out pulling a American 46'6" X 96" refer trailer with a net of 47,800. And I know you guys are tired of seeing this old critter.

  3303. #3303DMiller2020-08-10 18:04

    A classy Classic Critter.

  3304. #3304petepilot2020-08-10 18:18

    if i were just 15 years younger i`d go bring that one home

  3305. #3305Truck Shop2020-08-10 18:21
  3306. #3306Truck Shop2020-08-11 21:34

    Zucker's back, good to see you.

  3307. #3307DMiller2020-08-12 06:45

    Be nice to converse with RZ again

  3308. #3308mitch5042020-08-12 21:52

    Yeah, been missing him.

  3309. #3309Truck Shop2020-08-16 17:03

    Walter Truck---------------- I think these trucks were more common in the east. Started truck production in 1909, first AWD production 1911. This one looks like it was county or state owned. Walter went out of business in the early 70's IIRC. Using Oshkosh or FWD cab. https://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/myrtle-point-66-walter-dump-truck/7176643701.html

  3310. #3310DMiller2020-08-16 17:21

    Ugly ol brute.

  3311. #3311Truck Shop2020-08-16 18:19

    Why yes it is. But IMO all dump truck cabs should be nothing more than a box and the hood as well, fenders fabricated from aluminum diamond plate. It's only purpose is rocks and dirt.

  3312. #3312kshansen2020-08-16 18:34

    Last I knew the town just down the road still had one of those Walters Snow Fighters. They would bring it out when the snow got real bad but that hasn't happened for years around here so it may have been sold for scrap by now.

  3313. #3313mowingman2020-08-16 19:07

    Walter actually went out of business in 1985, but had gone through a couple of different owners by then. They built mostly plow trucks, and airport fire/crash trucks. KME Corp ended up with the Walters fire truck designs etc. in the 90's. Jeff

  3314. #3314DMiller2020-08-16 20:04

    A Kovatch was the first real Fire Apparatus we had at the Nuke, prior to that was a Corn Queen with a Beer Truck Body painted Lime green.

  3315. #3315mowingman2020-08-16 20:22

    Now, I bet that old binder was a real emergency response truck. LOL

  3316. #3316DMiller2020-08-17 09:48

    Was for the Plant, could set 4 1/2" hose lays with additional 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 sticks of hoses with apparatus to hang on them, had 12 5 gallon jugs of Fire Foam for oil fires as well a trailer with a full 300 gallon of the goo, stored all our equipment aboard and Beverage Wagons have LOADS of room. The Pumper came after 090101, the next generation or iteration after Fukushima. Plant now has a 100 x 150 Concrete vault full of emergency machines including a Backhoe with the sole intent of Disaster Response. Waste of machinery and manpower to leave it sitting in a bunker cycling the engines monthly.

  3317. #3317RollOver Pete2020-08-17 20:43

    Nothing sounded like a wound up 345 that powered our IHC VanPelt 1250's. I pumped many hose lays when I was a volunteer CDF engineer back from 89-99. If you wanna talk awkward, take a schedule A CROWN with a screaming 8V71T up some goat trail. Been there, done that during the Landers earthquake.

  3318. #3318Truck Shop2020-08-26 19:57
  3319. #3319Truck Shop2020-08-26 19:58
  3320. #3320Truck Shop2020-08-26 19:59
  3321. #3321Truck Shop2020-08-26 20:00
  3322. #3322Truck Shop2020-08-26 20:02
  3323. #3323Truck Shop2020-08-26 20:05
  3324. #3324mitch5042020-08-26 22:28

    You skipped the best:

  3325. #3325mitch5042020-08-26 22:31

    And just because you love them so much:

  3326. #3326Truck Shop2020-08-27 07:22

    The Mack's I can take as long it has a Cummins, Eaton transmission and Rockwell drives. Now I will flip the old phrase said about Macks years ago onto Volvo. {I would rather have my sister in working in a whore house than see my brother drive a Volvo}

  3327. #3327RollOver Pete2020-08-27 09:16

    What about, "once you go Mack, you never go back "?

  3328. #3328RollOver Pete2020-08-27 09:33

    This 1986 Superliner was the first new truck that I ever made payments on . With the E9 @ 500 hp, Mack 12 sp and Mack bogies, it was also the heaviest , best riding, the strongest and the fastest. 6 mpg was easy to do as long as you drove by the boost and pyro and shifted accordingly.

  3329. #3329Truck Shop2020-08-27 10:08

    I thought that meant once you had one you would never go back.

  3330. #3330Truck Shop2020-09-05 21:12

    My friend Steve picked up this 56 KW tow truck last week, he can line it up with the 10 other 50's KW's he he has. Plus a photo of his faded yellow 51 Freightliner with a 220 and 10.

  3331. #3331farmerlund2020-09-06 10:10

    Cool old KW. So i assume its steel body cause of the rust spots? What year did KW go to the Aluminum cabs and fiberglass hood? This concludes the test for today. lol

  3332. #3332Tugger22020-09-06 11:59

    Good looking old trucks. Interesting tow pin on the KW.

  3333. #3333Truck Shop2020-09-06 13:31

    The cab is aluminum and hood the fenders steel, KW was building aluminum cabs back in the 40's the fiberglass parts started in late 50's. That was pretty much standard back then. But no one said anything about the quad headlights----------those are off a Pete. It originally only had singles.

  3334. #3334Truck Shop2020-09-18 20:24

    https://moseslake.craigslist.org/hvo/d/moses-lake-1966-autocar-dump-truck/7198664972.html

  3335. #3335colson042020-09-18 20:34

    I could see myself driving a rig like that around

  3336. #3336Truck Shop2020-09-18 20:46

    That style of A Car are hard to find in a rolling moving condition. Worst part is there rust at back bottom of cab.

  3337. #3337Truck Shop2020-09-18 21:24

    A little spendy but real classy for someone with a small construction business that's looking for image. https://portland.craigslist.org/yam/hvo/d/mcminnville-1973-kenworth-925a/7198543692.html

  3338. #3338580bruce2020-09-18 21:25

    This is the one I would like. There was a tandem B model dump in Richland a number of years back I missed

  3339. #3339DMiller2020-09-18 21:43

    The great NW has all the good old toys in the playbox

  3340. #3340Truck Shop2020-09-18 21:54

    There is a bunch of good stuff still out here in the brush unlike east of the Rockies where a dash of salt was used to kill everything.

  3341. #3341crane operator2020-09-19 16:57

    https://www.purplewave.com/auction/201015/item/HA9492/1979-Western_Star-Trucks-Service_Truck-Kansas

  3342. #3342crane operator2020-09-19 16:58
  3343. #3343RollOver Pete2020-09-19 17:01

    Once upon a time, Shelby Elliott https://www.shelbyelliott.com was the place to go for hoods and large cars stuffed full of V8 CATS, KT's and V12's. He's been around since 1972 and has quite a collection of classic truck pics that he's sold. You can check them out here. https://www.shelbyelliott.com/custom-10

  3344. #3344Birken Vogt2020-09-19 17:36

    What on earth is that transmission?

  3345. #3345DMiller2020-09-19 19:03

    8LL Eaton with deep reduction, Mixer Dump truck USELSS MESS of a Transmission.

  3346. #3346Truck Shop2020-09-19 19:35

    Agreed-total piece of crap.---but someone will reply what wonderful dump truck transmission.

  3347. #3347Bluox2020-09-19 19:57

    Kinda looks like a 6 speed? Bob

  3348. #3348DMiller2020-09-19 19:59

    8 Total, thus the 8LL

  3349. #3349Birken Vogt2020-09-19 20:04

    But the lack of an R at the beginning of the model, does that not indicate lack of a range box? Plus the sticker looks like it has no range box plus I don't see any valve on the shifter in the picture. I think an 8LL is similar to a 9 speed with deep reduction. That looks more like a 5 speed and the model # seems to agree with that idea. How are those extra low and reverse positions accomplished? There has to be some shenanigans besides rails and forks there.

  3350. #3350Truck Shop2020-09-19 20:09

    A construction company I worked at years back had two LN Fords with 8v71 and that identical 7 speed {counting LL in 1st} gear box ---slugs. Look at the first model under 7 speeds on the chart. http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Transmissions/PCT_486870

  3351. #3351DMiller2020-09-19 20:24

    Double gates for Deeper gearing just as the chart shows, and the Deep reduction is a Dash Switch as noted on that dash chart. HATED These units.

  3352. #3352Truck Shop2020-09-19 20:24

    The R only stands for Roadranger- RTO stands for Roadranger, twin counter shaft, overdrive. If it was RTLO the L would stand for low inertia. RTOF is forward shift tower, RTX the X means overdrive also. The T-955ALL is a twin counter shaft with rear section.

  3353. #3353DMiller2020-09-19 20:27

    The 15spd in the old K100 I owned NEVER saw Deep reduction, drove it like a 10 speed, waste of gear train.

  3354. #3354Truck Shop2020-09-19 20:28

    The wide ratio behind a 8V71 was horrible, it had to be wound tighter than a watch spring to make the shift and no missing.

  3355. #3355Truck Shop2020-09-19 20:30

    The deep reduction in a 15 speed was for backing up with high rear drive ratios. Or off road.

  3356. #3356DMiller2020-09-19 20:32

    8v92 with 3.70 Eatons on 24" rubber.

  3357. #3357Truck Shop2020-09-19 20:35

    24" farmer tires ?

  3358. #3358DMiller2020-09-19 20:37

    24.5s, sorry.

  3359. #3359Old Doug2020-09-19 21:24

    Soft ground 100,000 on the trailer 4.11s the the 15speed wasnt that deep .

  3360. #3360crane operator2020-09-19 21:29

    Trans is far from the goofiest thing on that truck. I don't know that I've seen headache mounted floating mirrors. Or a center cab roof mount single air horn. Or a bull grill set quite that far away from the hood. I think you can tilt the hood without moving the bull guard. Also has hood exhaust coming out in front of the cab. And the colors, oh the colors. Its like a clown car....

  3361. #3361Truck Shop2020-09-19 21:40

    Which comes down to the mechanics ability and makes you wonder when you see that pull up.

  3362. #3362crane operator2020-09-19 21:43

    "If he has time to build all that goofy stuff- he must not be good enough to be busy all the time fixing customer's stuff"

  3363. #3363Truck Shop2020-09-19 21:50

    Average ratio in low in a 13sp is 12.30, average low in a 15sp is 15.40. And that depends on whether it is a direct or overdrive transmission.

  3364. #3364Truck Shop2020-09-19 21:52

    Or he is not married and no kids.

  3365. #3365Junkyard2020-09-19 22:23

    Here I thought it was a slick one owner I needed to add to my fleet.......

  3366. #3366petepilot2020-09-19 22:36

    give that one a purple wave and pass on by

  3367. #3367mitch5042020-09-20 00:22

    The absolute best feature of this truck is the shag carpet in the bed, under the boom.

  3368. #3368colson042020-09-20 06:06

    Ya gotta have a place to lay down and gaze at the stars with your lady friends

  3369. #3369DMiller2020-09-20 06:30

    A mechanics dream come true All the work will ever need and not ever leave home!

  3370. #3370crane operator2020-09-20 07:18

    He might be married and needed a way to spend more time in the shop....

  3371. #3371crane operator2020-09-20 07:23

    New feature, a overhead pivot beam to put chain fall and trolley on. Would make loading heavy stuff in the big box easy.

  3372. #3372DMiller2020-09-20 07:59

    This guy had to have been Colorblind!! Not certain that Aluminum Frame work would do all that great supporting said Beam with weight on it.

  3373. #3373colson042020-09-20 09:29

    Was that truck used for carnival equipment? Looks like something a carny would drive

  3374. #3374Old Doug2020-09-20 14:36

    We hauled the loads in with a OD 15. If the trailer was dropped we spotted with a direct 15. OD was behind a 3406 direct was behind a 671 turbo 238hp.

  3375. #3375mitch5042020-09-20 14:41

    I had an '82 Toyota pickup, it had carpet in the bed when I bought it. I didn't lose my virginity on it, but I certainly refined my technique!

  3376. #3376RollOver Pete2020-09-20 19:33

    Hmmm... I wonder if the previous owner.... Never mind.

  3377. #3377dieseldog5.92020-09-28 09:42

    That is not a 79 dashboard, but it does have the short doors for a 79. The seats look to be a custom job, for a fire department as the leather has a fire fighter symbol embosed in them, could it be a retired fire truck? I would love to get ahold of those seats for my 81 star.

  3378. #3378crane operator2020-10-04 13:42

    Ok, enough with the fires already. Some of us will need parts off this in 20 years, and this is just unacceptable.

  3379. #3379Truck Shop2020-10-04 18:07

    A friend from years ago was working the haul road in Alaska on the pipeline, he had a W900A extended hood with a 60" flat top sleeper and 3408 that caught fire in Fairbanks. Burned down to nothing-just bowed frame and hard parts.

  3380. #3380DMiller2020-10-04 18:15

    Sad

  3381. #3381Truck Shop2020-10-11 20:53

    For a cheap tractor this one isn't too bad. https://missoula.craigslist.org/hvo/d/florence-1987-freightliner-fl120-semi/7208334033.html

  3382. #3382Old Doug2020-10-12 21:15

    My sisters husband went out side one morning this summer to find the IH truck he had bought not long ago was burnt up. It was hooked to a grain trailer but it wasnt hurt. The cab was gutted but it didnt burn the drive tires witch was something because it was a short single axle truck. My brother was about a 1/2 mile from his farm and saw the guy next door had started a fire and it spread to the grass heading to is farm. When he got home his trailer was burning he was able to get the truck out from under it.

  3383. #3383DMiller2020-10-13 05:44

    Damn

  3384. #3384crane operator2020-10-18 20:30

    https://www.rbauction.com/1963-kenw...Id=12298550&id=ci&auction=edmonton-ab-2020175

  3385. #3385Truck Shop2020-10-18 20:52

    Been redone several times-That early airliner suspension was a spring cracking pos. But not bad shape overall from the photos.

  3386. #3386JPV2020-10-19 01:36

    Here is the basically finished product, a few more details but it put in a day of hauling logs up I-5, 3 trips from Ranier to Chehalis with no problems. It drives great, pulls good and will roll coal if you want it to!

  3387. #3387Truck Shop2020-10-19 07:24

    Nice JPV!

  3388. #3388JPV2020-10-19 12:09

    This is the before picture when he bought it March 2017, have all the gear to set it back as a quick change long logger but there are no plans at the moment of doing it.

  3389. #3389colson042020-10-19 12:39

    Love the paint scheme. Makes one unique truck.

  3390. #3390DMiller2020-10-19 17:55

    Engine musta been out in blue clothes. Riding front end High.

  3391. #3391JPV2020-10-19 18:14

    Actually it was in there, we took some spacers out and 1 leaf out of the front spring pack to lower it a little and make it look right. It still feels like you are going up hill sitting in there with that good seemingly sloping back but even at that I like the visibility compared to the newer cabs just fine. It is a 3408B, truck is 22,500 lbs with 11,500 on the steers! It got about 4.7 mpg at 96,000 lbs, didn't seem bad to me compared to stories I have heard about those.

  3392. #3392Truck Shop2020-10-19 19:50

    Front axle weight with 3408 or KTA is usually at 11,500, it was one of the bad points to the large displacement engines back then. Depending on sleeper and fuel tank size the steer axle was maxed out on weight. There weren't that many OTR's that ran those engines. Now With that said-Gayle the other main shop guy in the shop had Two Pete's with 3408's one 359 EXHD and one C.O.E. 362 that was experimental. The cab on the cabover was slightly taller and the radiator was big and shoe horned into place. I use to work on one that had a 110" sleeper and I had to change the radiator in that one, what a job. But I have never seen a C.O.E. K100 KW with a 3408.

  3393. #3393JPV2020-10-19 23:19

    I just saw pictures of a cab over Pete with a 3408 in it that is in Longview. Never heard of it now I hear about 2 in 2 days!

  3394. #3394DMiller2020-10-20 05:28

    3408 was a Hoss and a Beast.

  3395. #3395petepilot2020-10-20 22:19

    like to see the total bill for that transformation

  3396. #3396JPV2020-10-20 22:38

    He didn't keep track, didn't even want to really know but definitely well north of 100k...

  3397. #3397petepilot2020-10-20 22:41

    likely he will come out better than buying new

  3398. #3398petepilot2020-10-20 22:48

    talking with a friend just now he for curiosity priced a new 6 axle kw dump in nc. today over 225.000 with fet included

  3399. #3399JPV2020-10-20 23:13

    Wow, that's nuts. This one has a rebuilt 18 speed, rebuilt 46,000lb rearends on rebushed AG 460 Kenworth 8 bag suspension, front axle rebuilt, all new hydraulic wet kit for side dump or lowbed, new diamond tuck interior by the same guy that originally did it in 79, there ain't much on it that didn't get replaced or rebuilt including reskinning the back of the cab. All new plumbing and wiring outside the cab, some inside but the dash was pretty much left alone. The only thing we didn't tear down was the motor, just resealed a bunch of stuff on it when it was out. The thing was built for the long haul but won't rack up very many miles because it rains to much around here!

  3400. #3400dieseldog5.92020-10-23 14:12

    I was told buy a guy with a 352H pete with a kta that there was a truck dealer in the Boston area who sold big engine cabover peterbilts, KTA's, 3408 cats, maybe some 12v detroits. He was particular to the paint jobs also, Big Bill, or Big John. There was an industry he was serving with the big engines, produce or steel maybe seafood.

  3401. #3401Mother Deuce2020-10-23 14:50

    "Signs of Life"

  3402. #3402crane operator2020-10-24 22:14

    Because everyone should stretch a frame once in their life:

  3403. #3403Tugger22020-10-24 23:48

    They just knew enough to be dangerous.

  3404. #3404Truck Shop2020-10-25 07:47

    That is some fine welding/fabrication work, I don't see a thing wrong with it, looks good to me, well designed and thought out should work without any problems. But I'm not a welder either.

  3405. #3405DMiller2020-10-25 07:50

    Single rail old limp back freight shaker Been better off to rerail time and expense wise Cleaner prettier safer unless unconcerned as to working it Replaced a number of cracked older freightliner rails years ago not that hard. Judging of Rt Rr Cab corner may need a little more impetus on cosmetics too

  3406. #3406DB22020-10-25 09:46

    Tank and step got it as well.

  3407. #3407Old Doug2020-10-25 10:06

    I wonder what and if it was used ? I have saw alot of rigs like this that were used on farms and short hauls that some how stayed together.

  3408. #3408crane operator2020-10-25 10:20

    Well if you've got $3,500 burning a hole in your pocket, you can make it into anything you want: "1987 freightliner cab over. Big cam 400 cummins. 9spd. Rockwell rears 4:11 no idea on miles. I don't have much info. I bought it to build and never got to it interior is in good shape body has a few bumps but overall in good shape. It's about a 285 wheel base. truck located in chelsea, ok. No title.. a title 42 can be filed on it in Oklahoma its less than $200 to do. I just never messed with it. Now Its time to clean house and get rid of projects" https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1250032022021328 If it runs and drives, big cam trans and rears are worth what he's asking, if you need those things.

  3409. #3409dieseldog5.92020-11-03 14:17

    Poor trucks to new to be a classic and too old to be a comercial truck. I could take the dent in the cab and the modified frame, but the square headlights ruin it for me.

  3410. #3410Old Doug2020-11-03 19:05

    I will sell you one with round lights and a good frame cheaper.

  3411. #3411Truck Shop2020-11-29 18:47

    Not many of these laying around anymore-this one looks to be fairly decent. https://medford.craigslist.org/hvo/d/klamath-falls-1974-logging-truck-light/7228654150.html

  3412. #3412Mother Deuce2020-11-29 19:34

    I drove one forever ago 1693TA and a 20spd HotStik

  3413. #3413Truck Shop2020-11-29 19:43

    I rebuilt two years back in the burg, installed B model Cats in both.

  3414. #3414Mother Deuce2020-11-29 20:00

    It wasn't too bad a horse... rode good and you could have held a dance in the cab.

  3415. #3415dieseldog5.92020-12-06 15:56

    I have been looking for that style hood to replace an 81 hood. Correct me if I am wrong, but these trucks were Whites until 83? when the 4964 heritage came out as Western Star as a company. My 81 is a white, and according to the guy in the basement with the microfiech at daimler trucks it is a constelation.

  3416. #3416Truck Shop2020-12-06 18:10

    Nomenclature plates on the drivers door {Manufactured by Fruehauf} below that it would say White Truck. I believe until early 80's. White owned Fruehauf at that time.

  3417. #341756wrench2020-12-07 11:06

    i have a '79 WHITE-WESTERN STAR 4964 that looks like all the '80s and early 90's western stars ( including the interior) except for the emblem on the side of the hood. around here the constellation cabs didn't come out until the mid to late 90's if i recall correctly. the earlier series is called the HERITAGE cab whenever i order parts

  3418. #3418dieseldog5.92020-12-07 13:22

    My 81 has shorter doors than the heritage cab, more like Autocar door, I think Corprate Cab Company made them for White, Autocar, Diamond. Autocar guys refer to my cab as a bubble top, where as that 73 has more of a flat top. If I am getting this correctly White sold autocar and it moved to Utah.

  3419. #3419DMiller2020-12-07 13:56

    The white in the previous photo has the same cab as yours, just a added visor. Rib from Cowl thru door is the giveaway. Kelowna Cabs, Kelowna BC.

  3420. #3420Truck Shop2020-12-07 16:59

    That cab was used by everybody and there dog. But cab interior trim parts were always a problem with Stars, there were none on the shelf and none at the DC's. Most of those items were special order. Quoting two Star parts countermen.

  3421. #3421Truck Shop2020-12-07 20:50

    What's left of a 1927.

  3422. #3422petepilot2020-12-07 21:24

    your next project!

  3423. #3423Truck Shop2020-12-07 21:43

    Not hardly-my next project is setting on my ***.

  3424. #3424Hank R2020-12-09 09:50

    Spring 1976 in Kelowna on a weekend trucks were ready to be delivered.

  3425. #3425DB22020-12-09 09:59

    Heavy fronts on those classics !

  3426. #3426Hank R2020-12-09 12:15

    1975 Star that I drove, Cat 1693 TA 15 speed with a 14 yard pup

  3427. #3427DB22020-12-09 13:19

    Different snout on that one from the previous 3. Looks more modern.

  3428. #3428Hank R2020-12-09 15:05

    Could be as the engine size for more cooling. But I could be off on my year on the Red and Black ones.

  3429. #3429DB22020-12-09 15:28

    They do seem a tad older. I also remember a single headlight version. Looked more like the second one with the fenders more round at the front. Great pictures that bring back memories. Thanks for sharing.

  3430. #3430Truck Shop2020-12-09 18:10

    The three stacked were Detroit 2 stokers. More than likely.

  3431. #3431Truck Shop2020-12-09 20:27

    The red one DB2.

  3432. #3432Truck Shop2020-12-09 20:29
  3433. #3433DB22020-12-09 20:41

    Thanks TS! Used to ride around with a gravel hauler that had one just like that.

  3434. #3434Truck Shop2020-12-09 21:00

    I use to drive a 78 Star that had a Holmes 750 and a Zacklift 275 WB NTA420 Cummins 13 spd with Eaton 2spds. Originally owned by Bethel Clark, Clark Towing in Issaquah just east of Seattle. I like this black and white below of a 69 with a 71. And High Noon used in the movies.

  3435. #3435Truck Shop2020-12-09 21:02

    That was a nice Star- Hank.

  3436. #3436DB22020-12-09 21:02

    Actually this was the one I had in my minds eye.

  3437. #3437DB22020-12-09 21:04

    And I never even saw a set back axle version before.

  3438. #3438Truck Shop2020-12-09 21:06

    Not many of those-I've seen two total in my time.

  3439. #3439crane operator2020-12-09 21:10

    A lot of guys where I grew up in Iowa ran pups. I never see any pups where I live now. Here its either multi lift axle single bed dumps, or tractor trailer end dumps. Its not hard to tell the good drivers from the bad, if you want all the material in the same pile with pup drivers.

  3440. #3440Truck Shop2020-12-09 21:26

    I remember years back a guy who bought a Car just like the one below same color same everything.

  3441. #3441mowingman2020-12-09 21:33

    You know that Autocar is back building vocational type trucks again? They have built cabovers for garbage truck use, and terminal tractors, for a long time. But, a while back they started building vocational heavy duty trucks again, for mixers, dumps, road tractors, etc. Jeff

  3442. #3442Truck Shop2020-12-09 21:58

    Yes they have--but the market has been real cool--people are afraid of buying orphan trucks after the Cat ordeal.

  3443. #3443Birken Vogt2020-12-10 00:27

    I just saw a white like these coming out of a canyon today. Unfortunately I saw it a little too close as it was half in my lane. Probably no power steering in the corner we were on. Pretty much no possibility it was registered to operate in California, it's a pity. Nothing interesting ever seen on the roads here any more.

  3444. #3444DMiller2020-12-10 04:39

    Concrete company in St Charles County MO has bought into the new Acars They had a run long ago with the old version DC series and bought many Good test fleet to see if can stand the test of time

  3445. #3445Truck Shop2020-12-10 07:41

    Truth is there is nothing interesting on the roads anywhere anymore, You should see the looks I get when I take the Mack 75 out for a spin. People just stare and gawk at it at it, 95% probably have never seen a Mack 75 in their life. I don't know how many cars I had tail it for a ways taking a video then speed up pass it stick their arm out the window and give the thumbs up. Log truckers see it and it's headlights flashing and air horns blaring.

  3446. #3446DMiller2020-12-10 12:25

    She is a defined Beauty. Little or no style anymore, no real vision of unique as once was as in Pete to Kw to Bulldog etc.

  3447. #3447JPV2020-12-10 15:16

    As long as KW makes the W900L and Pete makes the 389 there is hope, when those are gone there will be nothing left to look at

  3448. #3448crane operator2020-12-10 18:13

    You guys are killing me. This truck is coming up for auction, it would look pretty good in front of my lowboy. Its on 20" rubber right now, but that wouldn't be hard to change. I just think its a sharp looking truck, and the double frame would be nice. https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...8|7530,yr=1980|1985|1990|1995|2000&pnLink=yes

  3449. #3449Truck Shop2020-12-10 18:22

    Nice A-Car-Few like that-----------Get your wallet out because it won't go reasonable. But it makes one wonder the reason for selling it. Normally rigs like that get bought up long before the auction block with a god old boy type deal/standing offer.

  3450. #3450Truck Shop2020-12-10 18:34

    Heavy trucks can be custom built and cheaper than thought. Find one good tractor to build and by up three well spec'd ugly mutt's that have all the heavy parts. HW Metals in Portland can form up any rail you want. And don't be thinking about your time involved-it's your time doing something to better your businesses. Plus it keeps a person busy, out of the house and can cut down on drinking and watching over paid athletes on Sunday. Sure a fellow can go out and buy a truck all ready to go, but nine times out of ten it really isn't what he was after-no he settled for second best. I should have gone in the custom truck building business.

  3451. #3451DMiller2020-12-10 18:34

    Only 20s are on the pusher 12.00 24s on the rest

  3452. #3452DMiller2020-12-10 18:52

    Are no tubeless replacements for those Would require a hubs change to a different wheel size/type

  3453. #3453Truck Shop2020-12-10 19:09

    Hell who wants Minnesota Mag wheels anyway? Be better off with hub pilot.

  3454. #3454Old Doug2020-12-10 19:12

    I was called to move a coca cola beverage trailer early today. The buyer didnt have a single axle truck to move it. I told them i would do it at lunch time. I havent figured out the propane yet and only had 30% so i was going to stop and check 3/4 of the way to make sure i had plenty. I stopped and every thing was ok i was pulling back on the highway about the time i was blocking both lanes i got my first dealings with a drive by wire gas pedal it went died. Not a good deal but it pulled its self at a ideal to the side of the road then i felt a little pop on the pedal and it was working agin until i turned off on another highway it went died agin then a pop and it was ok the rest of the trip.

  3455. #3455crane operator2020-12-10 19:19

    Then I probably won't own it, I'm no big spender, I'm a user. It would get hooked on the lowboy and be hauling iron. I think my Western star would be one of the late ones produced there. Mine is titled as a 1998, and has kelowna on the door tag. I thought the cabs looked like autocar cabs, but wasn't sure on all the history. I really like my western star, its when I've got my bigger rt on, and take off up my hill, it torques up the frame pretty good, the jakes do the same thing the other direction coming down my hill. I guess I could just double frame mine. But that's a slippery slope of then heavier suspension, heavier rears, heavier front, etc. etc.

  3456. #3456DMiller2020-12-10 19:24

    The Acar is doable I was going to swap hubs on the 63 JY has Later rears just as easy but would lose ground speed due to tire diameter decrease

  3457. #3457crane operator2020-12-10 19:29

    I missed that when I first read the ad, I thought it was 12-24's on the steer and 20's on the rear. No more miles than I drive, I could keep it as 24's

  3458. #3458Truck Shop2020-12-10 20:07

    The big question is do you really need it? If You could use the heavier drive train you have a better tractor about that simple. Star frames have always been stout even single rail, many are built using grade 100 steel. Tough drilling even with a mag drill, Stars are not known to have frame issues. And yeah it's the standard Kelowna cab.

  3459. #3459petepilot2020-12-10 21:29

    my tire guys here say they can get foreign built 12x24 s but kinda pricey

  3460. #3460Truck Shop2020-12-10 21:41

    And here we have one of the best looking and built trucks ever produced, so says DM.

  3461. #3461DMiller2020-12-11 05:09

    OMG The Hog Nose on the R 190 Corn Queen And yes there are STILL tons of those fugly old beasts around, IHC built Millions of them!!

  3462. #3462Mother Deuce2020-12-11 05:11

    Tried driving one once... felt like I was sitting on the floor!

  3463. #3463DMiller2020-12-11 06:49

    Can relate, all the R base cab designs as early S and V series were TINY, much as the old B Macks, the old Dodges and many early machines intended for short durations behind the wheel.

  3464. #3464Truck Shop2020-12-11 20:03

    Guess this one.

  3465. #3465DMiller2020-12-11 20:26

    Mid thirties Acar? maybe Federal?

  3466. #3466Mother Deuce2020-12-11 20:48

    I was wrong...

  3467. #3467Cody danos2020-12-11 21:33

    Brockway?

  3468. #3468Truck Shop2020-12-11 21:35

    Cody wins the fur lined **** pot--he read the clue I left in the eaton ad.

  3469. #3469Hank R2020-12-11 22:05

    Been a long time since I seen a saddle fuel tank

  3470. #3470Old Doug2020-12-11 22:15

    I would find them at the junk yard and cut them up for the step plate steel. The junk yard guys were glade to get rid of them.

  3471. #3471JPV2020-12-11 23:42

    I have never seen a saddle tank like that, were they common?

  3472. #3472petepilot2020-12-12 01:16

    very common but gas only

  3473. #3473Cody danos2020-12-12 09:39
  3474. #3474crane operator2020-12-12 12:44

    Not really. I'm only 105,000 or so with my 40 ton RT on. But if I get a bigger RT crane, I would need a bigger truck. This seems like about all my current truck wants. Got to be ready for if things change truck shop- who knows what the future brings.

  3475. #3475DMiller2020-12-12 13:05

    Me Too

  3476. #3476Truck Shop2020-12-12 13:09

    If it was me I would drop the rear drive ratio a bit. What does it have right now?

  3477. #3477crane operator2020-12-12 14:25

    I'm 4.11's on 285/ 24.5's. I swapped out the original 3.42's to the 4.11's. Its geared low enough. If I size up one size in crane- to a 60-70 ton rt, I'm going to go from a 70,000lbs machine to a 90,000lbs machine or so. And then I'll need 4 axle truck and probably stinger and/or 4th axle on my trailer. I don't have current plans for a larger crane, but I could see it happening. So I keep my eye out and if the right heavier spec truck comes up for sale, then I would be one step ahead of the game. If you wait to get the heavier truck until you have the heavier crane, then you have to buy both at the same time (I don't have a really tall mattress). Essentially, I'm looking at horses before I trade my cart in.

  3478. #3478petepilot2020-12-12 16:01

    well i wish i had one of your cranes here right now. I got a compressor to unload with no wheels and no tongue sitting on blocks and no one has any idea where the wheels are

  3479. #3479doublewide2020-12-12 16:08

    1993 LTL 9000 https://newlondon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/ashford-1993-ford-ltl-9000/7229429281.html

  3480. #3480Truck Shop2020-12-12 16:54

    A little more than a D9. So rework frame drop ratio to 456 and add a drop axle, will easily move a 90,000 lb unit. For a bunch less money. Ain't the first rodeo for me.

  3481. #3481Truck Shop2020-12-12 18:54

    Peter Car ads.

  3482. #3482DMiller2020-12-12 19:04

    So weird Butane engines

  3483. #3483Truck Shop2020-12-12 19:11

    I like this hokey ads.

  3484. #3484JPV2020-12-12 21:38

    Yet another thing I have never heard of!

  3485. #3485DB22020-12-12 21:47

    I know farmers loved it when tractors first came out. Allowed for some decent hot rodding.

  3486. #3486Truck Shop2020-12-12 21:52

    Most of the Butane engines were built by Scripto lighter company.

  3487. #3487Birken Vogt2020-12-12 22:10

    Butane burns and operates pretty much the same as propane. In the real old days home heating fuel, etc. was often more butane than propane, or they were mixed. So "butane" may be more of a slang term for any form of pressurized LP gas, or maybe they really did restrict it to butane in those days (lighter weight tanks for butane only), but it would have looked much like any other LP gas system. These days I believe butane is more valuable for other purposes than heating and motor fuel so it is not mixed into the LPG supply, and in cold weather it does not vaporize well. But I think they still use butane/propane mix in Mexico for standard propane tank fuel. Maybe it is because of higher temperatures down there (lower pressure so the tank relief does not go off) or maybe market factors are different.

  3488. #3488Truck Shop2020-12-13 17:07

    C.O.-I'm sure the price will climb in the next 23 hours and yes it is high mileage--But. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-KENWO...387381?hash=item36707bacf5:g:YB8AAOSwl89f0UeA

  3489. #3489dieseldog5.92020-12-14 11:32

    1973, Origionaly thought this was a Dodge, turns out to be an FWD. For Sale In London Ontario

  3490. #3490dieseldog5.92020-12-14 17:08

    SOLD! 30K thats alot of truck for the money.

  3491. #3491Truck Shop2020-12-14 18:42

    $30,006.06 to be precise. It went to $28,100.00 in the last 12 seconds and with 9 seconds left it jumped to 30K. That truck in parts alone was cheap at that price. The drives I'm suspecting were Eaton 461's both lockers. That same spec'ed Kenworth new today would hit $215 to to $220.000. At that mileage it had a rebuild probably around 875,000 to 900,000, the clutch and gear box also would have been changed and more than likely both rear drives. But even if it needed a inframe at that price a person would have been way ahead. Plus that truck was equipped with a brake saver/retarder and jakes. It most certainly was a buy. I watch Ebay for trucks on a regular basis, and there are some interesting finds that you don't see else where.

  3492. #3492colson042020-12-14 21:36

    Never seen one locally, but this one is for sale a couple hours away. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/353150839283312/

  3493. #3493petepilot2020-12-14 22:12

    w wonder if the big chain was used get it where it is

  3494. #3494mks2020-12-14 23:56

    Thanks TS for the Peter Car ads. My father mentioned them a time or two. Your B Model should be in movies. Very nice build Mister. My dad would have loved it.

  3495. #3495Truck Shop2020-12-15 20:56
  3496. #3496petepilot2020-12-15 21:51

    no wonder they drive funny they`re built upside down

  3497. #3497doublewide2020-12-20 15:55

    1970 Autocar - 8v71 https://southcoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/taunton-1970-autocar/7240117842.html

  3498. #3498dieseldog5.92020-12-21 08:20

    In the ad it says the auxilary has a "power tower", I have seen that term before on other trucks but what is it?

  3499. #3499Truck Shop2020-12-21 09:30

    It's basically a bolt on accessory drive for pto requirements.

  3500. #350056wrench2020-12-21 09:44

    around here, it was the complete top assembly that replaced the top cover on an auxiliary transmission that is used to drive a mechanical winch. stronger than a regular side-mounted pto. usually had forward, neutral and reverse. you shift the aux into neutral and use any of the main transmissions speeds to winch. at least that's the way my '62 is set up

  3501. #3501Truck Shop2020-12-21 11:04

    1241 spicer with and without power tower.

  3502. #3502Truck Shop2020-12-23 21:18

    Pete's Towing Des Moines/Seattle.

  3503. #3503Truck Shop2020-12-26 18:00
  3504. #3504Truck Shop2020-12-26 18:02
  3505. #3505Truck Shop2020-12-27 20:10

    A great place to do business with with.

  3506. #3506doublewide2020-12-28 20:11

    White/GMC https://capecod.craigslist.org/hvo/d/buzzards-bay-yard-truck-hyd-winch/7236824836.html

  3507. #3507dieseldog5.92020-12-29 11:14

    Found this old beast hiding behind a buddys shop. May try to aquire the hood and some dash pieces for my 81. This is a 77 and has a lower roof and shorter windshield than the 83, same short doors but T door handle vs the 81 paddle handles. There is an autocar style narrow radiator under the hood with shutter stats and a Big Cam 350.

  3508. #3508petepilot2020-12-29 17:13

    keep me posted as to how that works out

  3509. #3509doublewide2020-12-31 18:59

    2007 Peterbilt; https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/hvd/d/kingston-2007-peterbilt-379ext-heavy/7252352949.html

  3510. #3510Truck Shop2020-12-31 19:04

    No Rust on? in? frame---from Boston?

  3511. #3511Mother Deuce2020-12-31 19:05

    Fluid Film... Man!

  3512. #3512Truck Shop2020-12-31 19:07

    Lots of fluid film...man! Phony as a three dollar bill.

  3513. #3513mks2020-12-31 19:30

    Give it a coat of paint call it what it aint.

  3514. #3514Mother Deuce2021-01-01 14:22

    Old school...

  3515. #3515DMiller2021-01-01 14:42

    Jacks Blocks and a truck load of cribbing.

  3516. #3516Mother Deuce2021-01-01 14:45

    The "blocking hurl" is pretty tough nowadays.

  3517. #3517DMiller2021-01-01 14:55

    Can remember stacking cribbing under a couple old American Draglines, ALWAYS mid summer or dead of winter, never fun. Guy 'Liked' me, fed me money as he could not do the work himself, just ran the truck and trailer.

  3518. #3518Truck Shop2021-01-03 21:53
  3519. #3519skyking12021-01-04 00:49

    I remembered a trip I took once when we were firewood logging. We were chased out of the woods by the winter snows, and had resorted to buying log loads to keep busy. An owner operator from my small town had a 1965 351 "needlenose" Peterbilt, and I went along with him to Peoh point above Cle Elum to get a load. We chained up to get up the hill, got loaded out and headed for Selah. He was a man of few words, but I got from him that it was an 8v92T that had been "turned up". He had twin sticks, 5 and 4. I know the firewood loads are light and cured out, but that thing was still fast. We rolled onto the Manastash Ridge hill out of Ellensburg. He dropped one gear, moved into the left lane, and passed a long string of trucks crawling up the hill. i think back on that ride and realize he had put some time and money in building that truck.

  3520. #3520Truck Shop2021-01-04 18:30

    Change it up some from photos to re-runs of pen & ink.

  3521. #3521Truck Shop2021-01-04 20:24
  3522. #3522DMiller2021-01-04 20:26

    A talent unmatched

  3523. #3523Truck Shop2021-01-04 20:33

    Thanks DM----------Funny thing is----------no one ever noticed the mack pen and ink---That's a L Cab, I chopped the top 4" in my crazy mind.

  3524. #3524mks2021-01-04 20:35

    Nice work! The windshield appears more vertical on the L model? Among other things I'm sure.

  3525. #3525DB22021-01-04 21:16

    I noticed it was flatter across the top. The sun visor anyway. Didn’t know why though. Beautiful work.

  3526. #3526Mother Deuce2021-01-05 03:17

    Chopped Top...Hmmmm... A donor roof, a demo saw, some custom glass and...

  3527. #3527Mother Deuce2021-01-05 03:39

    These images are from the Boston area. The gentleman that took them was the driver if I understood the story correctly. He is a friend, of a friend of mine... some old school steam.

  3528. #3528Truck Shop2021-01-05 07:42

    I like black and white photos, thanks MD

  3529. #3529skyking12021-01-05 09:24

    That was cool, like a shovel folding the cab down, it folded at the stack

  3530. #3530DMiller2021-01-05 09:57

    Mid 50s, 51 or 2 ford to the Left, in the distance a 55 BelAir, Mack coming up behind LJ or LT? possibly has House shell on its trailer.

  3531. #3531Truck Shop2021-01-05 10:37

    54 ford

  3532. #3532Mother Deuce2021-01-05 17:00

    I pass that along to my buddy who shared them with us.

  3533. #3533DMiller2021-01-05 17:51

    My bad, owned a 53 just like that with tear drop vent windows, not sure why said 51/52!! They had the multipiece front fender set up, smaller grills area.

  3534. #3534Junkyard2021-01-05 18:29

    I’ve seen a bunch of the old Rogers wobble wheel trailers in pics etc. Can’t say I’ve seen one with rubber that big. Tocci has tons of pics from NY from the AC Mack days up to the late 80’s. They sure love their 100-125 ton beams with big planetary rears. Don’t know that they move iron around like that anymore.

  3535. #3535Old Doug2021-01-05 19:54

    We built a rail trailer at a place i worked every thing but the neck it was a hyd lay down that was run off a pto that ran at a 45 out the side of the truck..Later on we grafted another neck detach that had its own motor. The trailer didnt have maxes so we pulled the heck and pushed it under what ever didnt run. If we were moveing alot of stuff we hauled a D8 to help out.The rail trailer was every handy there was stuff setting around on railroad ties that we hauled in.

  3536. #3536Mother Deuce2021-01-08 03:40

    I posted a couple of these awhile ago. My buddy who sent these to me... his passion is cooking. If he isn't flying steel into a building in Boston he is making great food and videos! I invited him to join here awhile back but he is quite busy. So I don't have the backstories for these that he does... here are several others.

  3537. #3537Truck Shop2021-01-08 06:27

    Cool photos!

  3538. #3538dieseldog5.92021-01-08 08:36

    What would have been under the hood of the Autocar at that time? The side badge I believe says diesel. Very cool photos, early example of 3 axle lowbed.

  3539. #3539DMiller2021-01-08 11:44

    J or NH Series Cummins?

  3540. #3540Mother Deuce2021-01-08 18:03

    Think I can get and answer tomorrow for that.

  3541. #3541dieseldog5.92021-01-08 18:20

    , member: 57733"]Fluid Film... Man![/QUOTE]

  3542. #3542DMiller2021-01-08 18:27

    What are ya filling up?

  3543. #3543dieseldog5.92021-01-08 18:31

    I can't be the only one who buys it by the 5 gallon pail. My pickup gets 2 gallons on it every year, and the wand gets it in the doors. Around here it snows from somewhere around Halloween till April 1, if you want anything to last you have to coat it. 10 year old truck can be swiss cheese.

  3544. #3544Truck Shop2021-01-08 18:58

    Like DM said NH220 was the most common.

  3545. #3545Truck Shop2021-01-08 19:02

    I used that on the cabs of the fertilizer trucks the AG company owned that I worked for. It kept the batteries from falling through the box.

  3546. #3546doublewide2021-01-08 19:50

    What's that in the weeds..... https://southcoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/east-taunton-jrb-416-coupler-loader/7258177106.html

  3547. #3547petepilot2021-01-08 20:21

    my is lj mack

  3548. #3548Truck Shop2021-01-08 21:12

    One piece windshield-looks like a Mack A Model cab. And the A models were only produced between 1950 to 53 IIRC- The hood louvers are a problem for me though.

  3549. #3549Mother Deuce2021-01-09 05:38

    [/QUOTE] I would like to find someone that did that professionally on light vehicles. I can't see through the GTI yet and would like not to see through it!

  3550. #3550DMiller2021-01-10 06:52

    Thinking White or Corn Queen, they liked flat one piece windshields Hendrickson or Federal? Federals had squarer cab.

  3551. #3551Truck Shop2021-01-10 07:33

    Federals used a split windshield, side windows really only match Mack A model.

  3552. #3552DMiller2021-01-10 08:15

    Early Brockway?

  3553. #3553Truck Shop2021-01-10 15:36

    Brockway cab is pretty square and slightly wider.

  3554. #3554DMiller2021-01-10 16:28

    Falling back to Hendrickson.

  3555. #3555Truck Shop2021-01-10 16:51

    Ok-well then. (95%} of Hendrickson trucks used your favorite cab and damn near the same nose/Grille -Hog Grille. Here is a fine example of a rotary tailed snorkeler.

  3556. #3556crane operator2021-01-10 17:04

    I'd buy the "A" model mack idea. Sure looks like the right windshield and the ribs in the door and sculpting around the door window, and hood line.

  3557. #3557doublewide2021-01-10 17:15
  3558. #3558DMiller2021-01-10 17:51

    Just the Side Louvers, Fire Apparatus Hoods?

  3559. #3559dieseldog5.92021-01-10 18:12

    I vote Mack, If you zoom in the doors have a triple relief, like the white mack. It is in mack country, missing the headlights and not being able to see the full grill are difficult, Did Brockway use Mack cabs then.

  3560. #3560doublewide2021-01-10 19:18

    '88 Pete https://providence.craigslist.org/hvo/d/foster-1988-peterbilt-357-tractor-winch/7254580721.html

  3561. #3561Truck Shop2021-01-10 19:27

    It's worth $6.300 in parts.

  3562. #3562doublewide2021-01-10 19:41

    Just think how much more $$$ it would continue to pull out of your wallet.

  3563. #3563Truck Shop2021-01-10 19:52

    That's why it's a parts pile. Rode hard and put up wet.

  3564. #3564dieseldog5.92021-01-11 08:47

    That truck has been for sale for quite a while, he was talking about cutting it up if it wasnt sold by a certain date, well that date was a year ago. It takes some effort to continue to post on craigslist and take the random emails from whoville. 13speed is an odd transmission for a winch truck I would think.

  3565. #3565Truck Shop2021-01-11 17:51
  3566. #3566DMiller2021-01-11 19:19

    Corn Queens Too Fast for the Field, Too Slow for the Road, GO Intrnational, If won't run paint it Red, Still won't un Chrome It, GO International!!!!

  3567. #3567Truck Shop2021-01-11 19:29

    Oh I like RD 405 model like the one above, one of the longest hoods continually built. These are hard to find, either scrap or already restored.

  3568. #3568DMiller2021-01-12 06:10

    405s did have a Hood, but that sardine can cab!!

  3569. #3569Truck Shop2021-01-12 07:28

    They were all tiny cabs in those days.

  3570. #3570DMiller2021-01-12 07:36

    Oh I am aware!! B Macks, Corn Queens, the old GM Series, Ford and Dodge. Roomier were the LJ LT Dogs, Petes, KWs, Stars and Cars. Got to where when got in the old Ford 750/850 GMs Bs and Corn Queens series would put a welding beanie or take off my ball cap as the Button on top would invariably be driven into my skull.

  3571. #3571Truck Shop2021-01-12 09:16

    These Whites-now those are puny cabs.

  3572. #3572DMiller2021-01-12 10:10

    I dare say the old wagons were built for 5’6-8” men weighing in at less than 170lbs Spring ride Bostrum seats Armstrong steering Really poor ventilation and heat systems No insulation to speak of Were some tough times 56 Diamond I drove as company wrecker was similar, then add a trans hand brake lever a Four speed tied to a Brownie jump seat if had one on a box or frame bolted to the floor Same White style cab tiny cramped loud and off temp

  3573. #3573Mother Deuce2021-01-12 17:33

    A few more... moving a Lorain.

  3574. #3574Truck Shop2021-01-13 20:44

    Early OTR.

  3575. #3575Truck Shop2021-01-13 21:00
  3576. #3576Truck Shop2021-01-13 21:01

    And one Ron G. sent me a few years back, miss Ron G.

  3577. #3577Truck Shop2021-01-14 19:20
  3578. #3578DB22021-01-14 19:57

    Not much room in that 3rd one.

  3579. #3579Truck Shop2021-01-14 20:05

    That's what I learned to drive, a 66 Freightliner CF day cab. And very worn out.

  3580. #3580DB22021-01-14 20:58

    You weren’t very easily discouraged.

  3581. #3581Truck Shop2021-01-14 21:07

    It had all the necessities, oil, coolant, volt, air psi, tach and speedo. Manual steering, worn out shock absorber seat. 335 with 10spd-shifter would hit the dog house in 4th/9th so cut the insulation off the dog house. In august you had all the heat you could stand and some more.

  3582. #3582DB22021-01-14 21:18

    Manual steering too boot? And nowadays they can’t go if they can’t plug in a curling iron or their corn dog rotisserie

  3583. #3583DMiller2021-01-15 00:00

    Old Gemmer manual boxes Armstrong Steering Could steer smooth enough rolling but standing still was stand on the floor pan humped over the wheel and pull!

  3584. #3584JPV2021-01-15 00:46

    What was the deal with all the numbers on the door and all the license plates and why don't you see that anymore?

  3585. #3585petepilot2021-01-15 02:55

    that mess permited you to run through multiple states` most of it went away in late 70s early 80s. now called IRP

  3586. #3586Mother Deuce2021-01-15 03:11

    Interesting that Pete logger has a Hall Scott badge on the hood. The only Hall Scott’s I have been around were giant gassers. Did they make automotive diesels?

  3587. #3587Mother Deuce2021-01-15 06:01

    A corn dog rotisserie... hmmmm

  3588. #3588Truck Shop2021-01-15 07:25

    I remember lettering truck doors in those days, the permits for states were listed on the sleeper like the reader board at a Dairy Queen.

  3589. #3589Truck Shop2021-01-15 07:31

    That Pete is a 48 vintage, and a Hall Scott gas pot.

  3590. #3590DMiller2021-01-15 07:36

    Bingo cards, the Permit catalog kept in the cab, special fuel permit tax stamps Each State ran in, the plates of those states REQUIRING individual license for their state. Then all the Weight Limits and axle limitations to Licensable weights, Bridge Law formulas(NOT always same state to state) kept in that same Sears Roebuck catalog size Permit Encyclopedia. Reciprocity papers to haul CERTAIN commodities written for Each Licensed State operating in and nothing else, times HAVE changed. Had your work cut out for ya then TS, No decal systems of any merit back then, ALL painted on or painted on sheeting and screwed to cabs.

  3591. #3591Old Doug2021-01-15 08:09

    When your 17 it is a very wide big cab. I got ask alot when bobtailing if i was scared it would flip over if i hit the brakes hard.

  3592. #3592DMiller2021-01-15 08:16

    Was 19 in Ft Scott at Midwestern Distribution, Common jokes among the 'Old Guys' was in a Cabover the Driver was First on Scene of the accident, that to NOT lose legs in a wreck pull your legs up above the seat cushion where at the same time could kiss own Azz goodbye!!!! My first Semi was a Super Short wb(IIRC 150" with a Sleeper) 1972 Freight Liner with a 318 DD and a thirteen Speed, Left headlamp bucket was missing so we called it One Eye. NO p/s, NO Johnny Bar, No power and No value except as a yard dog.

  3593. #3593Truck Shop2021-01-15 09:47
  3594. #3594DB22021-01-15 11:43

    The days of the “stack” mirror.

  3595. #3595DMiller2021-01-15 18:10

    And Sand boxes!!

  3596. #3596Truck Shop2021-01-15 18:23

    1091 Cu In Hall Scott, there is another complete one to go with this one. Big Zenith brass toilet for a carburetor, wide open even in 90 plus degree heat including all the heat from the engine, those carbs would ice up.

  3597. #3597Old Doug2021-01-15 18:39

    You would get on a hard pull on a damp day going up a hill it would start realy pulling down then hit a leave spot or go down hill and it would warm up till it got in a pull agin. The carburetor would be soild white with frost.

  3598. #3598Mother Deuce2021-01-16 06:39

    Koehring 1205 move

  3599. #3599Mother Deuce2021-01-16 06:52

    One more... I took this one and posted it here awhile back. It was recently a post I shared with a FB group I belong to and it has to do with the photographic record of our trades: In response to Nigel's post about other than IR landscapes. I have a number of IR images that don't fit in the box. This one is titled Bob's Autocar. Some of you will have seen this one as I posted it in another group. Bob was a contractor and collected things he loved. Bob passed away awhile ago. However his family and loved ones keep his collection around in his memory. I work in the same industry as Bob did and I share his interest. I generate images of what many would regard as scrap iron. To me it is a record not only of the iron but the people who ran it. The machinery I operate today is a walk in the park compared to what they had pre 70's. That equipment mostly referred to as "the iron" was mostly operated by "iron" men who coaxed many large projects out of machines that today, would be considered unwieldy and required strength to operate. Strength both physically and mentally to keep a good humor and focus. I give you "Bob's Autocar" I hope you enjoy the image... it is however less about the image than the man who drove it. I can see him in my minds eye. He has a cigar clamped in his teeth, he's about 50 wearing a newsboy hat over greying curly hair. All the windows are open because it is 100 degrees F outside and he is hustling to get the last load of the day. 590nm

  3600. #3600DMiller2021-01-16 09:12

    A lot tougher old guys then. Built the world we live in. Appears a Supercharged Cummins in the Koehring.

  3601. #3601Tiny2021-01-16 09:53

    I know most of you think of me as that school bus guy but can anyone post about the older Days ? from 1980 to 2013 I WAS into a bit of heavy hauling for a crane outfit

  3602. #3602Tiny2021-01-16 21:29

    This is a 76 W900 . I suspect there isn't a bolt that hasn't been messed with that old truck . It HAD torsion bar rears that was replaced with reyco . it HAD a 5 n 4 but changed to an 18 speed . Not sure what engine it had but when I drove it was a KTA 525 ( they said it was a big loader engine ) that was dynoed at 600 horse . From the 1st time I started driving this thing it leaked oil from the very front and I was told the front crank seal was leaking . not bad going down the road but stop after coming off the highway and an 16 inch puddle would form . other mechanics said it was the crank seal and no one did any this with it . On a slow day I washed it up and found the oil pan only had copper washers on half the bolts . never leaked there again . The 1st picture is a 718 link belt crane house rated 250 ton . 110,000 lbs so you never went thru a scale. This picture is a chiller that was replaced . no weight , just oversized .

  3603. #3603Truck Shop2021-01-16 21:38

    There is a 2$ fee good for life time. Nice photos Tiny!

  3604. #3604Tiny2021-01-16 23:00

    Drug a bunch of these around . Not much fun . At no time could you relax . 110 foot and 97,000 lbs , the longest you could get out of the plant without a steerable trailer

  3605. #3605Tiny2021-01-17 03:35

    Since I cant sleep one more . Bank took over a portable batch plant and we were hired to tear in down , 120 crane and me with an 11 ton boom tractor mount . I had the stage the pieces so an outfit could roll up and go . We were down to the last two chunks . I wheel around two get the next load and the bottom dropped out . This plant had set there for two years and it had been a hot dry summer but the wash out pit never dried out . This 93 pete had a 20,000 lb front axle and was nearly maxed out with the boom over the front . truck and boom were 33,000 bobtail . I was hung hard . unloaded the right rear side so no traction . There was a 655 deere loader sitting within 1000 feet of us . crane op grabbed his keys and recued me . have no clue who it belonged to but ...

  3606. #3606DMiller2021-01-17 06:51

    So not believe I ever saw a wash out pit dry Now batch dump hole That was always Dry and rocked up Musta been PITA as to getting that Pete free

  3607. #3607DMiller2021-01-17 06:54

    Guess were thinking moving to easier life in the bus racket? How’d that pan out?

  3608. #3608DMiller2021-01-17 07:02

    Thinking back, I probably woulda been better off to have stayed at the quarries. Money was decent, work not all that times critical, daylight only usually unless OT, always a dump close where did not have to pay trash service and plenty of scrap to pay extra to collect up. Do not know how well would have tolerated the FruinColnon safety department or their sub management group but could have made a good dime off of them. Just filthy, freezing cold or smoking hot, lung choking dusty, loads of old friends and good parties Best times I had in my youth

  3609. #3609crane operator2021-01-17 08:25

    https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...h=5000,q|boom+truck&rr=0.5&hitprm=&pnLink=yes I saw this for sale a while back, and thought it was your old rig, but I couldn't remember if you drove a pete or kw. It looks like its from your old outfit. The parent company did close a couple of their quarries by me this summer.

  3610. #3610Tiny2021-01-17 09:13

    The parent company from Ireland who bought us wanted the quarry's but also had to take the construction side also . After a few years they started selling the construction companies . It a started on the east coast and worked it's was here after about a year . We had two divisions , Crane rental and the bridge department . That truck was part of the bridge side . It was bought by a gent who wanted more boom and a better truck than I was running . They got that but at a cost . The original driver had been driving a 78 Autocar with I believe a 10 ton boom with a tiny 230 Cummins in it . I had to take that machine and a load of barrier down I35 to Olathe Ks , Never got to high gear . So when Grant got into the one in the picture he was in high cotton . It was 13' 4" tall IIRC . It always felt scary top heavy , That might have been from the KW 8 bag rears . It randomly would break bolts in the swing ring . The swing was too fast for me . Again I think the 8 bag rears hurt it ... If you picked up something heavy over the rear then swung over the outrigger the inflated air bags would not exhaust fast enough and it would rock up the off hand rigger . Scared you to death . The "Hog Rack" between the boom and cab turned into a catch all .

  3611. #3611Truck Shop2021-01-17 10:08

    Ah Ha--hauling rotary tails on the side.

  3612. #3612Tiny2021-01-17 10:40

    That road behind was harder that the hubs of hell . Hooked to the back of that track loader and it just pawed the ground , Finally turned it around and used the bucket teeth to help . The construction side was more physical but the people were all headed in one direction , Semi professionals and goof balls when the work was done . Boss understood when things went sideway . seemed to always have plan . while the mechanic side was important it wasn't a huge deal if something run long and didn't get done in time . Plenty of spares The Bus drivers are just goof balls for the most part . Boss is 50 miles away and this bus boss has no clue . The mechanic side of busing is worrisome due to the cargo moved . Any mistake could endanger kids and my granddaughter is one of them .

  3613. #3613Tiny2021-01-17 12:00

    I will shut up after this post .. This was before my time but the guys there loved to tell this story . police blamed kids being vandals but they always thought it was a labor dispute . Plucked out of the Missouri river and just set it on the trailer . The truck a 73 W900 was the one I cut my teeth on Later 350 horse Detroit 8v71 5 and 4 . Still love the sound of a Detroit . Think that was a 7E they rebuilt afterwards . Old Pete the Stewart drove it when this happened .

  3614. #3614DMiller2021-01-17 14:58

    Easy lift short boomed on that Mani. Anything goes in the drink around here in the Mighty Mo gets shipped to scrap, will never get the silt out of it.

  3615. #3615skyking12021-01-17 16:23

    Cool pictures, Tiny. I never had the "pleasure" of running a tractor mount without all the outriggers of a boom truck. That sounds a bit daunting.

  3616. #3616DMiller2021-01-17 17:07

    All relates back to Chart, do ONLY that which is allowed By CHART in the house, argue and ignore the chart any crane is a problem.

  3617. #3617skyking12021-01-17 17:20

    When the airbags come into play on a pick that's out in left field for a guy like me who picks the tires off the ground

  3618. #3618Truck Shop2021-01-17 20:43

    Stack mirror on the radiator cowl. The place where I took this photo reminded me of the movie---- The Hills Have Eyes.

  3619. #3619Truck Shop2021-01-17 21:27
  3620. #3620Truck Shop2021-01-17 21:51
  3621. #3621Mother Deuce2021-01-18 03:21

    On the edge of the bank and no outrigger blocks?

  3622. #3622Tiny2021-01-18 03:23

    The 1st tractor mount boom in the Kansas City area . 67 T850 Ford , 534 gasser , 5 n 4 . I spent a fair amount in it and under it . loading out 518 Link Belt parts . It had 2 35 gallon step tanks . on a normal day it was filled at noon and the end of the day .

  3623. #3623Mother Deuce2021-01-18 03:26

    Do you have a pic of Carl's in Eburg and and Mabel's "Sail in"? Those two were Americana at it's finest!

  3624. #3624Tiny2021-01-18 03:27

    I have no explanation for that . That was before my time . looked petty iffy to me also . Wait until I post two other pictures of American cranes . one with a winch truck tied off to the gantry , the other with a concrete add on counterweight

  3625. #3625Mother Deuce2021-01-18 03:30

    I drove one of those for awhile. It was a tractor, It was as thirsty as your's. Did a good job though when gas was .32 cents a gallon!

  3626. #3626DMiller2021-01-18 05:12

    Old Union Electric and Mo Edison trucks were generally gas in the 60’s/70’s 428 534 fords 427 TBGM 478&549 corn queens Had there own fuel trucks for job sites to keep them running First diesels I saw in those were 1160 cat gutless boat anchors 99% 5&2 or tandem eaton two speed three speed sets

  3627. #3627Truck Shop2021-01-18 07:27

    Thanks for posting Tiny,

  3628. #3628DMiller2021-01-18 09:38

    Twin stacks on the 4070A DD318

  3629. #3629terex herder2021-01-18 14:54

    My new Mack at work.

  3630. #3630DMiller2021-01-18 14:57

    Kinda cute 12 yarder, Air to Air intercooled END 673?

  3631. #3631Tiny2021-01-18 19:20

    93 KW T 600 425 hp n14 and a 9 speed . Bridge side built a longer bridge on false work . Picked this piece up and put it on this wild set up . then rolled the new bridge in place using air tuggers . there is a turntable under the front on the lowboy and the tandem bolster is 2 8 tire lines . Pulled surprisingly good . That is a railroad bridge .

  3632. #3632Truck Shop2021-01-18 19:37
  3633. #3633Tiny2021-01-18 20:30

    Back a ways we did this

  3634. #3634Tiny2021-01-18 20:34

    Cell company built on the backside of a piece of property a gent owned . trouble was he didn't want any trees cut . No way for a truck or trailer . Boss thought of this . Nearly pinched a hole in the seat .

  3635. #3635skyking12021-01-18 20:38

    That's wild, Tiny

  3636. #3636DMiller2021-01-19 04:40

    Who is pushing who is pulling!!

  3637. #3637DMiller2021-01-19 05:51

    Old family friend built a Pull me Push you Chevy truck. TS of rear facing were the stop lights. both ends steered. He passed a few years back, was the big airplane enthusiast with the WACO collection that has been sold off.

  3638. #3638Tiny2021-01-19 06:05

    Sorry , forgot to put that down . No pictures of the 1st half . getting to the house the Pete is pulled up against is about the half way point . The plan was whoever was leading to provide the power but the last 200 ft to the house was steep concrete and the pete spun out . I had to help him . Pete had 2 speed rears and an 18 speed . the kw i drove a 9 speed . when he spun out the whole mess jumped up what felt like a foot .( I could have been hyper sensitive at that point) the pictures only show me leading . I think the 1st part was so worrisome the big boss forgot the camera .

  3639. #3639Tiny2021-01-20 20:56

    We took apart a sand conveyor at one sand plant and moved it to another about a mile away . Sand plant people want to leave the parts in as bigga pieces as possible . The 200 ton held on to things as i dropped off the small pieces . then we loaded an 80 foot extendable with 35 foot of overhang . Not legal but ...

  3640. #3640skyking12021-01-20 22:18

    check out this lineup with the offroad belly dumps to the left. It was tagged 1959, Wildish Construction in Oregon. I did a stint with them paving around Centralia.

  3641. #3641Mother Deuce2021-01-21 06:27

    About 43 years ago I ran a mid fifties R22 Euc with a manual box and no brakes and power steering that had long since gave up. Loading under a 80D shovel ran by a 80 year old very cool dude who had gotten it new. The only way to stop it was to crash into a stockpile... We didn’t go real fast LOL. The guy’s who drove those rides were a tough bunch of dudes!

  3642. #3642DMiller2021-01-21 06:30

    Brakes were always a issue on the Eucs, none at the quarry would stay working over two months, no matter haw much was done to them or how often. Was job security.

  3643. #3643Old Doug2021-01-21 07:38

    At the place i was at the Eucs had a hand brake or foot brake sometimes. They had some Eucs 5 speeds that a guy wanted to buy but he wanted us to put 10 speeds in them because of the way the 5 speeds worked. I rounded up some 10 speeds but the deal fail throw. They used dumpys there for a long time the Eucs were a big steep up.

  3644. #3644skyking12021-01-21 10:49

    I never got anywhere near them. My only real bad no brake situation was a 980. The right pedal was for going fast and if you were on a hill, the left pedal was for going a whole lot faster I only loaded trucks a few times with it it was a joy try and find a hill to load up hill. I had a 988b for mining the rock for the crusher at the dam job, but I lost the transmission seal on that and had to feed the crusher with the no brake 980 with two different size front tires. It look like a farmer was down there in the pit plowing. If I downshifted all the way as I came up on the grizzly and dumped in first gear everything was cool I could get it in reverse and back down. unfortunately the only place to back was towards the river and there was a little 3-ft safety birm between me and a really long bad roll. One day I forgot to go from second to first and I killed the engine. Buckets in the air, rolling back up on that little birm, restarting my heart. I went to the mechanic and begged for him to give me any brake just a little bit of brake. Sure enough he did.

  3645. #3645Truck Shop2021-01-21 18:22
  3646. #3646Truck Shop2021-01-21 18:34

    And here you have the Euclid/Terex story https://www.constructionequipment.com/tangled-web-euclid-and-terex-truck-history

  3647. #3647DMiller2021-01-21 18:56

    The typical convoluted life line of US Construction machinery.

  3648. #3648doublewide2021-01-21 19:17

    https://southcoast.craigslist.org/hvo/d/stevenson-euclid-rock-truck/7256741197.html

  3649. #3649mowingman2021-01-21 19:40

    Hard to tell, but this looks a lot like an old R15. Jeff

  3650. #3650Mother Deuce2021-01-21 20:12

    Geez!! That is about it!! Except for the yellow!

  3651. #3651Old Doug2021-01-21 20:17

    It always gets me why spend money on batteries? It would sure help something sell if you dont have to push start it.

  3652. #3652skyking12021-01-21 20:33

    Now that's a big property piece of iron Imagining a quarter section with a good quarry spot on it, building your own roads. Find a mom and pop crusher, run it a few seasons, sell it. But I digress as usual.

  3653. #3653crane operator2021-01-21 20:40

    This one was in the local tire shop. Customer brought it in, just got it, and wanted new tires. The tire boys kinda gave up on finding different rims, and last I saw it - they just had it rolled outside by the curb. They found a place that would make new rims, but the +$5,000 price tag for rims and tires was out of the new owners budget. I'd be finding some different axles to put under it, but nobody asked me. Body was pretty straight on it, had a big inline 6 gasser in it.

  3654. #36544x4ford2021-01-21 21:54

    Mid to late 90s Chevrolet 3500 hd 19.5 rims fit may have to open up center holes a bit don’t remember for certain can also put hubs and spindles from a solid axle step van on it for disc brakes either have to Machine a new thicker king pin bushing or put the one for the truck or inside the original for the van

  3655. #3655DMiller2021-01-22 08:36

    Has gotten to where little to nothing out there to support the old machines still viable out there. Probably a 216 or 235, do not believe the 292 was out yet.

  3656. #3656DMiller2021-01-22 08:46

    Should be a 6L71 in there, could be a 110, but do not remember many R15s with 110s here.

  3657. #3657mitch5042021-01-23 12:59

    What was wrong with the rims that are on the old Chevy?

  3658. #3658DMiller2021-01-23 13:45

    7.50 17 tires or 7.00 18s Good luck finding any. At one time we had managed to find some 17.5 rims that fit the five bolt pattern but lug sizes were different and inability to convert shut that down pretty quick, was 30 years ago as well.

  3659. #3659mitch5042021-01-24 02:30

    Ok, I was thinking they were 7.50-20s.

  3660. #3660Tiny2021-01-24 04:22

    In 2004 the Liberty Memorial world War 1 Museum in Kansas City Missouri under went a complete rehab . J.E. Dunn was in on it . The very 1st thing they do is put up construction fence when starting a job . There is a walking track / trail which is 8 foot or so wide out in front . I managed to get the truck and trailer out it front then unload a bundle at a time to scatter it out so the crews could put it up without carrying from one end to the other .

  3661. #3661Truck Shop2021-01-27 20:48

    And we in the U.S. call ourselves truck drivers.

  3662. #3662DMiller2021-01-27 20:54

    Have seen that Steam powered And fast for its size!!

  3663. #3663Nige2021-01-27 21:46

    My 2nd job in the world of mining we started it off with 35 of those - each one brand new and driven straight from the factory in Scotland to the job site. No messing around with lowboys back then. Sold & serviced by John Blackwood Hodge & Sons, known to all in the trade as Deadwood Dodge. Just like this one. The sound suppression was manadatory as we were close to residential areas. Not that it actually did any good.........

  3664. #3664Nige2021-01-27 21:59

    How about a bus version..?

  3665. #3665DMiller2021-01-28 07:05

    Just keeping them clean and serviceable has to be a project!!

  3666. #3666DMiller2021-01-28 07:53

    Found this one, Camping anyone, Spud?

  3667. #366756wrench2021-01-28 10:27

    would it be called distracted-driving if you had to steer and fill the firebox at the same time?

  3668. #3668Nige2021-01-28 10:44

    We got EXTREMELY good really quickly at changing front axle springs on them, by the end of their days we were equally as good at changing rear springs (solid axles both ends, none of that fancy nitrogen suspension on them).

  3669. #3669Tugger22021-01-28 22:03

    Eucs were another early experience for me in a logging camp. We had 2 of the small Euclids for building roads and dirt work in a new camp. I cant remember the model,but i do remember the 5 speed with the 4' gear shift and the 6/71 stack sticking out of the hood . And the tiny brake shoes on that big single axle,they became really noticeable backing loaded down hills. Camp super burns int the shop in one of the Eucs and says hop in for a driving lesson ,at 17 f%&k yes i wanna do that ,i get in the passenger seat (or box as it was ). we arent a hundred yards from the shop and we meet the second Euc head on ,flat out hes loaded( radios would be useless with the noise anyhow). Both drivers cranked hard right and we landed flopped on our sides in deep muddy ditches. Call the 66 down from the pit and yank us both out. Ok get at it he says and off i go ,terrified for the first week of seeing that narrow rad and the two round headlights coming at me on every corner on a 2 mile haul. Love to see todays incident report on a scene like that today.

  3670. #3670Nige2021-01-28 22:26

    Those R50s had a 16V-71 motor coupled to an Allison 5960 transmission fitted with a retarder IIRC. To get the retarder to work anything like effectively you first had to have the transmission in the right gear. Still had drum brakes though.... They were great fun to drive until you had to stop in a hurry.

  3671. #3671mowingman2021-01-28 22:53

    Except for farm tractors, my first experience operating a big machine came when I was 18 years old. I got a summer job at a local ferroalloy plant and started as a laborer. Second week on the job, I moved up to Euc operator on the night shift. The plant had an old R35 Euc with torque convertor transmission and weak brakes. My job was to haul slag from a big hilltop dump, down across a county road, across RR tracks, and into the plant. As I recall, my training consisted of one ride up and down the hill with the foreman. He said, "You got it?" I said "Sure". I was a nervous wreck all night long and that 8 hour shift seemed to take forever to end.

  3672. #3672DMiller2021-01-29 08:19

    My intro to Eucs were 1950s era R15s in the local quarries Brakes were non existent as no one bothered the haul road out of the pit side wall had scars from using it as a retarder down and large knots at turns when used as a back stop when loaded trucks failed and could not be held on grade Work on the brakes became never ending until those trucks were sold for scrap A few different models and variations were tried over the years where the new owners swapped to Cats Volvos and loaders feeding conveyors

  3673. #3673Tugger22021-01-29 09:28

    Must have been R15 s we had . Same thing 1950s vintage bought at Ritchies. They used them for building logging road in our typical steep terrain until Moxy dumpers came along ,then they died off as fire trucks. Saw one that someone had got rid the single axle and converted to tandem 4640 rears,looked like a tough truck back in the day.

  3674. #367456wrench2021-01-29 09:41

    euclid did not seem to put a high priority on good brakes, when i first ran ts-14's ( 6UOT & 7 UOT), neither had brakes. used the bowl to stop. had to be cautious coming up to stop signs when roading between jobs especially on pavement

  3675. #3675DMiller2021-01-29 09:45

    When Men were Men and trucks Beasts Arctic Convoy With Giant Mack Trucks - YouTube

  3676. #3676Old Doug2021-01-29 19:32

    I worked one job night shift were some of the haul trucks had brake lights i learned to cut the brake light wires asap.It gave the foreman less to scream about over the radio."why are you useing the brakes "

  3677. #3677doublewide2021-02-05 18:55

    Six Mack DM 800's https://providence.craigslist.org/hvd/d/manchester-mack-dm800-dump-truck-fleet/7273077376.html

  3678. #3678Truck Shop2021-02-05 19:00

    Damn those DM's are ugly about like D Millers favorite 190 International. Why would those be for sale with fresh engines in each?

  3679. #3679skyking12021-02-05 20:52

    Those are sure some high dumping beds. Gotta love that!

  3680. #3680Tiny2021-02-05 23:40

    Had to get into a shopping mall at 3:00 am and be gone by by 8:00 am . Moved a crane in to set roof top AC units . 1st pic was with a cheap camera on a low light setting . second one with normal light and a flash . Doing it in the dark

  3681. #3681Tiny2021-02-06 04:59

    200 ton hydro had a night job setting steel over 71 highway . Boss sent us out earlier that day to move the machine and stage the counterweight loads close to the job . Night guy missed getting under the trailer square and this happened . By the time this was cleaned up they missed the window of time to close the highway and had to wait until the next night . I tied that load down and left the chains on it to make it easy for the night guys .

  3682. #3682DMiller2021-02-06 05:18

    Side saddle cabs, iron hoods and fold over fenders Beats on a fella just remembering all the DM series he ever touched wrenches to.

  3683. #3683DMiller2021-02-06 09:23

    At least had a Crane on site to wrestle the trailer back to somewhat level!!!

  3684. #3684Tiny2021-02-06 12:11

    They did use the crane to pick it up . If I recall it was rated as an 80 ton without weights . The trailer was bent so bad it was cut up and and sent to the salvage yard

  3685. #3685DMiller2021-02-06 12:43

    Tweaked is BAD! Can see junking that

  3686. #3686Tiny2021-02-06 12:59

    Around that time 40 foot trailers could be had pretty cheap . Everyone wanted 48s

  3687. #3687crane operator2021-02-06 18:16

    Who hooks up air lines before they are under the trailer? At least you did a good job of chaining them down. Those cheek weights don't like to stay on a trailer anyways. Tall narrow and top heavy. That looks like it was a trailer load with all 4 cheeks on it.

  3688. #3688DMiller2021-02-06 18:55

    Older trailers No Spring cans standard habit, Air it up, Make Certain the parking Side Worked then finished backing under.

  3689. #3689Truck Shop2021-02-06 18:55

    That looks like a case of high pining to me.

  3690. #3690Truck Shop2021-02-06 18:59

    That's true but those air lines don't have enough fifthwheel grease on them.

  3691. #3691DMiller2021-02-06 19:02

    Could have HiPinned, missed the pin then started to pull off, BAD DAY!!!

  3692. #3692Tiny2021-02-06 19:09

    You are correct . I couldn't get legal with the pete boom truck .

  3693. #3693Tiny2021-02-06 19:27

    That was the only thing the big boss was happy about . Most of the guys i worked with would throw one chain over the top . Was asked by more than one why I chained like that . Told them I didn't want the damn thing in the cab with me if things went south .

  3694. #3694Truck Shop2021-02-06 19:40
  3695. #3695Tiny2021-02-06 21:05

    Nothing much to see here , Typical excavator move . argosy casino bridge job

  3696. #3696Tiny2021-02-06 21:13

    Have a couple of old pics from before my time but I'm pretty sure the cable from the winch to the gantry of the crane is NOT O.S.H.A. approved

  3697. #3697DMiller2021-02-06 21:30

    Had not heard Monfort spoken in a long time or Watkins

  3698. #3698Truck Shop2021-02-06 21:38

    The Monfort Lane!----------------------------Which became the Hammer Lane years later. Hammer Lane is a actual road off I-5 below Sacramento-there use to be a sign below it that said, Not A Truck Route. Monfort was know for big power years ago. Hauled meat out of Denver. Monfort stockyards.

  3699. #3699Truck Shop2021-02-06 21:52
  3700. #3700Tiny2021-02-06 22:06

    I remember the Monfort lane but we had a union steward who carried the nickname of Monfort . He always had the "new" truck . Every one else drove his hand me downs and he was happy to tell you that .

  3701. #3701Tiny2021-02-06 23:22

    82 Pete hauling a life flight chopper to have a major overhaul done .

  3702. #3702DMiller2021-02-07 06:59

    Tiny, what in the world do you think they used the winch truck for? Can see nothing practical of that on a pile driver. While that little Chevy is cabled crosswise to something too.

  3703. #3703Tiny2021-02-07 07:19

    To be honest , I don't know . I had 2 thoughts ... adding just enough weight to get the hammer and leads picked up .. Or a makeshift 3rd drum to pickup the piling . There was only one of the 500 Americans that had a 3rd drum The chevy is a complete mystery

  3704. #3704DMiller2021-02-07 07:33

    Thought about a Pile lifter, but really made little functional sense although no third drum would be a reason. All the Americans' I worked(All seven) were ex dragline or clam shovel handlers, all had a third drum, three were in quarries, three were barge situated and one used as a bank set dragline. Could have been added later but all had them.

  3705. #3705Tiny2021-02-07 09:50

    Old 500 American load out story . Boss decided to leave the tracks wide and the counterweight on one that just moved around in town . Ours had no brakes to set , Had to use the travel locks to hold them . No room to do anything but this one slightly down hill spot . Operator we had didn't any time on an American and afterward I was pretty sure he didn't know how to spell American . Dropped the neck off the trailer and spread out the blocks , Then waddled the ole machine on the blocks over the trailer . As normal i hooked the neck back up and raised the trailer to barely clear the ground to roll back a little in order to get this thing over the sweet spot to haul it . As it turned out he didn't set the travel locks and when the trailer rolled back he thought the crane was rolling . then yanked the travel lever in and went the wrong direction . Kicked the counterweight blocks out , hit the neck of the trailer . When the noisy had stopped and the smoke cleared . Here this is sitting with the toes of the tracks 4 foot high on one end and the counterweight on the trailer deck . By the time we got it leveled back out another operator got there and it went pretty smooth .

  3706. #3706Truck Shop2021-02-07 13:33

    Not to doubt you Tiny-but that Pete has quad square headlights. 1982 should have quad round headlights-where those changed or the whole hood changed.

  3707. #3707Tiny2021-02-07 13:52

    You may well be right , It has been a few years and my boss Liked Petes . that was one of three and now that I think of it ,,,, thats a 92 one year old than the 93 KW I had before the boom truck .

  3708. #3708petepilot2021-02-07 17:47

    monfort was among the first to run the the new kt cummins on it s nyc runs

  3709. #3709Truck Shop2021-02-07 18:14

    Them {Monfort} and a company out of Seattle by the name of Far West. Far West had {only} W900AL's 48" sleepers painted all black with one thin gold stripe all powered by KTA 600's . Those trucks not only looked fantastic but moved fantastic also.

  3710. #3710petepilot2021-02-07 18:35

    I remember seeing those trucks(farwest) and wishing I had one. as for monfort those drivers lived up to their left lane legend at least on the pa. turnpike

  3711. #3711Cody danos2021-02-07 18:41
  3712. #3712DMiller2021-02-07 19:55

    And Single Stacked, Hmmm

  3713. #3713Truck Shop2021-02-08 12:25

    You really only need one stack. The mack almost had a single installed

  3714. #3714Crummy2021-02-08 13:12
  3715. #3715Welder Dave2021-02-08 15:07

    I remember reading where some people were saying single vs dual stacks affects the torque and power output of the engine. Is there any truth to this? I would think as long as the exhaust is adequately sized for the engine it wouldn't make a lot of difference. The same as the air cleaner needs to flow enough CFM. Dual exhaust makes sense on large engines so you don't need a 12" dia. exhaust.

  3716. #3716Truck Shop2021-02-08 15:16

    The outlet at the turbo is 5" as long as it has a free flowing muffler you gain zero with twice pipes. A dyno tells the story.

  3717. #3717Welder Dave2021-02-08 15:23

    Thanks TS, that's kind of what I thought. Dual stacks sometimes look neater.

  3718. #3718Truck Shop2021-02-08 15:26

    The later Far West rigs had a gold stripe, the early white stripes. Years ago I knew two Far West drivers.

  3719. #3719DMiller2021-02-08 16:42

    Believe or Not was considering duals just to have duals on the KW, most likely gonna hang a Single to it.

  3720. #3720Crummy2021-02-08 16:54

    So the guy running around here in the Dodge 5.9 dually with twin smoke poles isn't gaining anything? Say it aint so.

  3721. #3721Truck Shop2021-02-08 17:50

    It's So.

  3722. #3722DMiller2021-02-08 18:37

    And all that Rolling coal is wasted fuel 'Up In Smoke'.

  3723. #3723Truck Shop2021-02-08 20:10

    Piled them up like cord wood-a tow drivers dream.

  3724. #3724petepilot2021-02-08 20:26

    cruise control - no cb -extreme lack of common sense

  3725. #3725Truck Shop2021-02-08 20:29

    You left out-froze at the wheel like a cigar store indian.

  3726. #3726DMiller2021-02-09 06:43

    Too stupid to drive per conditions, steady in it as know they have this controlled. Just keep stacking them in. Herders

  3727. #372756wrench2021-02-09 11:05

    when i'm driving in those conditions, i'm most worried about being run into from behind by idiots not driving to the conditions

  3728. #3728Welder Dave2021-02-09 11:24

    It looked like one of the drivers near the back was smart enough to just drive into the ditch to avoid the domino effect. Needing a tow is better than needing a new truck and trailer.

  3729. #3729Truck Shop2021-02-09 17:59

    He's lucky there wasn't a water bar in the median-Winched out a WSP from a 5' deep water bar in a median along I-90. He was flipping a U- turn in the median to chase down a west bound speeder. Totally caved the nose in of the 88 Mustang pursuit car he was driving.

  3730. #3730dieseldog5.92021-02-09 19:25

    I just bought a set of twin air cleaners for the 81 star, and will be removing single and going to twice pipes, I also have 16 ape hangers and twice pipes on the road king classic, no radio, no gps, no cup holder, but have duel exhaust, just because.

  3731. #3731DMiller2021-02-10 07:54

    05 KW here is most likely going single stack Has twin air and mounts for duals but see no need Last two rides 03 RK std true duals 88ci Delphi FI rode well lost torque notably on duals sold with both exhausts sets and new owner went back to split duals 12 RGU 103ci later better closed loop FI better mileage better torque decatted head pipe made virtually no performance difference just less right cheek cooking looking to change up to single discharge for better performance, gave up on noise as going deaf and the cagers do not see nor hear bikes regardless the stories. Cannot do apes shoulders won’t go there enjoy comfort and less drama these days fading into the general crowd.

  3732. #3732Truck Shop2021-02-10 09:21

    Depending on how many twists and turns in he exhaust with twin straight stacks can cause a flutter in the exhaust at idle. Some later engines are 4" off the turbo then go to 5".

  3733. #3733Old Doug2021-02-14 10:01

    Every time i see a truck with thousands of dollars of add on chrome i think how much closer to retiring would that money have got me.

  3734. #373456wrench2021-02-14 10:59

    also just like my pick-up truck, i would rather see practicality rather than bling. i always seem to have more higher priority things to do than polish chrome. i guess i just got old

  3735. #3735Truck Shop2021-02-14 17:56
  3736. #3736Truck Shop2021-02-14 18:10
  3737. #3737Truck Shop2021-02-14 18:15
  3738. #3738Truck Shop2021-02-14 18:19
  3739. #3739Truck Shop2021-02-14 18:23
  3740. #3740Truck Shop2021-02-19 19:32
  3741. #3741crane operator2021-02-19 19:49

    I grew up just east and south of newton Ia, where they are talking about that wreck. I spent one day in the ditch of I-80 in -10 deg weather with a set of corral panels. Wind was howling and it was cold. A cattle pot had gone off the night before and laid on its side all night. They had another pot on the shoulder, and cut open the back door of the one on its side. We herded/ chased 15-20 cows up and on the other trailer out of the ditched trailer. After farting around for hours trying to get more of those cows up and loaded, a trooper that had been slowing traffic came up and "that's all you're getting boys, the rest are headed for the rendering plant". He went in the trailer with his service pistol and put the rest of the downed ones out, and we cleared out to let the wreckers take over. I hadn't thought of that day in years! Thanks for posting truck shop- that hill looks familiar. I'll call dad tomorrow- he'll know where they all went off at.

  3742. #3742DMiller2021-02-20 07:20

    Used to be Two Way radios, could use them when saw a condition going South and slow or stop traffic behind, IF listening or Paying Attention. These days herders just use to find better chow hall or hooker haven to get a little joy, time pressed gotta go gotta be delivering and ignoring conditions of driving.

  3743. #3743Old Doug2021-02-20 18:23

    Alot of herders say theres to much crap on the CB you dont have to leave it on all the time. Turn it on when every one is tring to get you to stop because your trailer brakes are smoking or when your driveing in a storm .

  3744. #3744Truck Shop2021-02-20 19:08

    The real problem is there are too many damn trucks on the road. Transportation has got it all wrong.

  3745. #3745skyking12021-02-20 19:17

    Rail would be great but everybody runs on Just In Time (JIT) inventory levels. Rail does not respond to that in a timely manner. It just blows the doors off cost per ton-mile compared to trucks, but nobody seems to care.

  3746. #3746Truck Shop2021-02-20 20:13

    JIT----The actual term or lingo is called cross docking-in the front dock straight out the back dock. And it really breaks my heart that some shipper receiver has to inventory {A term I hate} More PRODUCT. We haul potatoes to Idaho move down two doors and haul potatoes back to Washington, A Spud is a Spud. That crap goes on day in and day out across the U.S. Senseless. In 1970 there were as figured 18,000,000 trucks on the highway in the U.S.. Today there are 133,000,000. which if those were all figured as 18 wheelers, that comes out to 2.394 billion tires alone. and figuring a one time fuel up for those 133,000,000 trucks that comes to 31.92 billion gallons of fuel. The tires and fuel alone is a waste of resources. for trucks running east/west coast runs. First look at the video I posted above tells the tale all you see are trucks, one after another. The U.S. sat on it's butt and never pushed fast rail service, truck wrecks climb on average 3% each year. And yeah my name is Truck Shop on HEF and repairing trucks is what I do-I will gladly be the first one inline to say the way business is conducted and the transportation industry in the U.S. {Well it all needs a in-frame overhaul}.

  3747. #3747skyking12021-02-20 20:31

    preaching to the choir It should be *no big thing* to get your can on the next Westbound tomorrow. It is so far from that, and it is crime IMO.

  3748. #3748Truck Shop2021-02-20 20:44

    I don't frequent churches-last time was 1965.

  3749. #3749DMiller2021-02-21 14:41

    Was a mechanic as TS has been during the years prior to dereg, LOADS less trucks on the roadways, much more rail traffic than today as to general freight. Dereg turned that into get rich quick schemes for many unscrupulous operations and operators. Trucking became a low education entry level occupation where Joe Blow from East of Nowhere small town USA could make the 'Big Bucks' sitting in comfort behind a wheel until those massive dollar signs got eaten by truck purchase, insurance, user fees and repairs expenses. Many would deadhead hundreds of miles to grab a Any Level of income back load just to pay fuel, in the long run would eat them alive. I agree, should have invested more in high speed rail, less road crossed tracks, better yards and the end of JIT shipments to escape the Tax Man that should not ever have started.

  3750. #3750Truck Shop2021-02-21 14:50

    That term {back haul} is a dirty word to me. Freight pays the same both ways, just because it's in route back to home base doesn't mean the freight pays less. Brokerage houses skim anywhere from 4 to 13% off the top. Carney Bum rip-offs.

  3751. #3751DMiller2021-02-21 16:36

    Fed got gamey on Inventory taxation in the late 70s, early 80s, another Fat Cow that produced a VERY short time for them and set the Supply chains up for JIT shipping. That said had the Taxers just taxed sales as had been would still be making the same amount of taxation funds as currently. Government gets greedy the end result is a economics lesson on them.

  3752. #3752skyking12021-02-21 16:46

    also who knows how much fuel burned and effort moving inventory from one place to another, talk about unintended consequences.

  3753. #3753Birken Vogt2021-02-21 18:36

    I just had a random thought today, the old Ford C-series cabovers that were made into the early 90s had a flipper vavle for the air brakes. How did they get away with that for so long? I thought at some point before then, 121 required the yellow diamond. Everything else had a yellow diamond going way back before then.

  3754. #3754Truck Shop2021-02-21 19:13

    What was that C-series used for-? BV. Ford had a tendency of cleaning the warehouse when it came to building municipal vehicles. I ask because I have seen them with a PP1 and or MV3 valve also. Don't let random thoughts bother you---every thought I have is random.

  3755. #3755Truck Shop2021-02-21 19:24

    Food stuffs are the worst especially frozen food, We have hauled/shuttled frozen products from one plant to another, then three months later move the same tasteless crap back or to another plant. Produce is probably the worst, the cull rate by the time it reaches the vegetable section in the store is 35% to 40% that goes from field to store dumpster. I pushed the Peterbilt shopping cart for Safeway, Lucky, Albertsons and McDonnalds in BC. The most pickups I ever had was 12. A box of this and a box of that-no wonder the cost at the store.

  3756. #3756Birken Vogt2021-02-21 19:37

    First one the flipper is visible in the last few frames at 1:39 . Not exactly a normal flipper but has a small knob on the end. Second one at 0:22 is more of a T-handle but the same valve. Third one at 2:14 . I've never seen one with a PP valve but I have never seen one set up to pull trailers either.

  3757. #3757petepilot2021-02-21 20:36

    wilson -roadway= mason dixon-smith transfer had thousands of those things running around back on this side .I even had one with a sleeper cab gas 332 v8

  3758. #3758skyking12021-02-21 20:40

    I remember the Roadway trucks in Washington.

  3759. #3759Truck Shop2021-02-21 20:50

    C series tractor was pretty common. Popular engines were 391HD and the 534HD plus the 1160/3208. Mack even used it back in the 50's and any built to 58 had quad headlights.

  3760. #3760Truck Shop2021-02-21 20:55

    https://heavytruckforums.com/index.php?threads/mack-with-a-ford-cab.373/

  3761. #3761Birken Vogt2021-02-21 20:57

    But what about that park brake valve, how did they get away with it, all the way to the end, near as I can tell?

  3762. #3762crane operator2021-02-21 21:01
  3763. #3763Truck Shop2021-02-21 21:25

    More than likely no one was looking, happens all the time. Look at the 737 Max.

  3764. #3764Old Doug2021-02-21 21:44

    Ford made several pickups over the years that were heritage models thats what ford called them they were made up of every thing they had laying around. My dad has one it was a rebuilder that we built when you get parts tell the parts guy its a heritage and explain the year has very little to do with finding parts.

  3765. #3765Truck Shop2021-02-21 21:51

    County trucks-Ford cleaned the warehouse and the basement.

  3766. #3766Old Doug2021-02-21 22:11

    The c cab was built buy budd and mack didnt like them so ford picked them up.

  3767. #3767Birken Vogt2021-02-21 22:22

    The C series Ford was my second favorite MD cab after the Kenworth T3xx. Not counting the lack of AC. A funky and old fashioned arrangement entirely made out of steel, but smooth and not too loud and tough.

  3768. #3768petepilot2021-02-22 00:16

    the park valve in question does the exact same thing as any other it just looks different

  3769. #3769Tiny2021-02-22 04:15

    That will wind your watch

  3770. #3770DMiller2021-02-22 06:06

    All the mid 80’s units we had at the utility had MV3 valves as set up for trailers with them.

  3771. #3771DMiller2021-02-22 06:07

    Large GE motor there Tiny Used similar at the nuke Just painted Blue!! GE ended up with Fairbanks electric motors.

  3772. #3772Birken Vogt2021-02-22 06:55

    I just thought that by the time the 1980s rolled around, FMVSS 121 required the knob to be yellow, diamond shaped, and held released by air pressure. These were none of those things, they were like the valve you would open and close a tailgate with.

  3773. #3773Truck Shop2021-02-22 07:41

    The flip valve was equipment for years, I still had one in my old Pete.

  3774. #3774DMiller2021-02-22 07:52

    FMVSS121 only affected air storage volume, Auto Operation of Parking system regulated against service brake actuation and shortened stopping distance requirements leading to anti lock operation.

  3775. #3775Old Doug2021-02-22 09:14

    They were ok if the shifter was in good shape i liked the GM cabovers because the shifter was mounted to the engine seamed to be better.

  3776. #3776Truck Shop2021-02-22 09:38

    Which also added an extra air tank for volume. Before that normal was two tanks and one small wet tank.

  3777. #377756wrench2021-02-22 10:24

    i worked on the old c series fire trucks. they probably speccd firetrucks with the flipper type valve so excited firefighters could just bat the thing with their gloves on and could tell at a glance if it was in the applied or released position .

  3778. #3778DMiller2021-02-22 11:51

    Most of the Utility C Cabs were swim shifters, in gear would swing as free as if in neutral in a conventional truck. After these came tilt hoods and automatics.

  3779. #3779Truck Shop2021-02-22 16:20

    Sh!ting-I mean shifting a C series was like not being able to hit a bull in the ass with a base fiddle.

  3780. #3780DMiller2021-02-22 16:25

    Add a two speed to that

  3781. #3781DMiller2021-02-23 07:52

    Just on another site, they noted a Detroit innovator has found a way to load/offload standard 20' shipping containers into/from Autoracks. That could reduce empty return runs and use of Well Cars for auto parts into assembly plants. Also reduces truck traffic to haul auto parts in.

  3782. #378256wrench2021-02-23 10:48

    going into R,2nd or 4th was hard on the knuckles. after a couple times of skinned knuckles you learned to push the shifter ahead with your palm. my dad had one in the late 60's. in my opinion, the c series made lousy farm trucks because the radiator was so low it scooped up grass, sweet clover, long grain stubble etc. and was always plugged. then in later years i worked on them occasionally at the ford dealership where i apprenticed. the ones with the 332 or 391 were easier to work on than the ones with the 477-534 or the 3208 in my opinion

  3783. #3783Birken Vogt2021-02-23 11:11

    Oh yes, I had forgotten about the radiator scooping up grass. Was so low the fan drove off the front of the crankshaft. We had one that was plugged near solid and took it to a radiator shop, I forget if they could salvage the core or if the just replaced the whole thing, it was a mess. I just liked driving and operating them, nice old trucks.

  3784. #3784petepilot2021-02-23 15:59

    the one I had with the sleeper was a nice little truck but you had to be an acrobat to get into & out of the bunk

  3785. #3785DMiller2021-02-23 17:19

    Contortionist!! Much like F model Maxks

  3786. #3786Truck Shop2021-02-23 18:17

    Here drive one of these through the barnyard and around the farm fields, No grass going to get in those radiators let alone getting in the cab yourself. Conversion ordered from Ford. The bottom photo is a rare 1958 C700 series Ford carved from a standard turd. Damn it's one ugly pile.

  3787. #3787Truck Shop2021-02-23 18:39

    Story about a C series with a blown 391. Boss tows in this C series with a 391 that broke the front main cap and bent the snout on the crank, shot the damper, fan into radiator chopping it all to hell. Even chopped a hole where a fan blade came through the cab by the drivers right leg. Boss had a 1970 C700 setting in the yard with a complete good running 391 plus all the extras. I pulled both engines made the swap of all necessary parts got it running {ran nice} and took it for a test drive. It wouldn't shift {4 sp Allison}. pulled the governor cover and the governor was exploded. Replaced it and everything was fine. Then got the whole story from owner. He was headed east on I-90 and was near Rye Grass Summit on a grade, transmission decided it was time to down shift and the gov exploded. It dropped from 4th to 1st causing a very slight engine over speed at about 40 miles an hour, It was a very, mind you very slight over speed. Automatics, yeah those wonderful automatics, screw allison .

  3788. #3788petepilot2021-02-23 19:10

    kinda weired looking but overall good modification

  3789. #3789Truck Shop2021-02-23 19:20

    It looks constipated.

  3790. #3790Welder Dave2021-02-23 19:36

    Some of the offerings from Chrysler weren't much better and who wants to drive a Fargo.

  3791. #3791Truck Shop2021-02-23 19:37

    Someone from Fargo ND.

  3792. #3792Welder Dave2021-02-23 19:44

    Fargo were only in Canada and a few export markets. I can just see Stewie from Family Guy making a snide comment regarding naming trucks Fargo. When you drive a Fargo, your death should be quick and painless.

  3793. #3793Truck Shop2021-02-23 20:07

    Well some got away then.

  3794. #3794skyking12021-02-23 20:46

    We had a '62 F600 with the 292, 4 and 2, 14' flatbed dump with firewood sideboards. I rolled off Raven Roost with a load of wood, and the brakes and I had a disagreement. The harder I pushed the harder the booster pushed back at me. I think it had a hole in the booster diaphragm. Luckily the ditch was decent and I used that to scrub off some speed.

  3795. #3795Truck Shop2021-02-23 21:03

    Y Blocks, 239, 272, 292 and 312 the engine ford built that would grind it's self to pieces because of poor oiling. The only engine that I can think of that had a fix for no rocker oiling. A line from lower oil rifle to the valve covers to squirt oil on the rockers. You could hear one driving by just a squeaking down the road, pull the valve covers and metal dust along with rust. Removed a oil pan from a 292 that had 7 distributor drive rods laying in the bottom. And that guaranteed to burn you exhaust crossover that caused all kinds of vapor locks because the fuel line ran between it and the right head.

  3796. #3796skyking12021-02-23 21:28

    yes our 292 had that oiling kit installed. I saw a similar vintage 6x6 out by the Operating Engineers School on the old vantage highway, but never did stop to take a picture. They eliminated the crossover, just blocked off the lower port and it had a set of straight pipes right up out of the hood. There might have been some skinny glass packs.

  3797. #3797Truck Shop2021-02-23 21:36

    Probably a old dryland wheat harvest truck at one time. OES ---nothing but sagebrush for years.

  3798. #3798skyking12021-02-23 22:11

    It was a really tough looking SWB dump truck. Being a 4x4 I wondered if it was a county truck at one time.

  3799. #3799DMiller2021-02-24 07:51

    Saw a great many of the 1/8” copper tubing oiler kits over the years Y blocks Just Why!! As a youth got the honor of buying great Aunt’s 54 Olds Super 88 She then got a ‘67 Galaxie 500, her man friend owned the Ford where it had a ‘lifter Tic’ pulled valve covers and had to dig out the sludge around rocker arms to see them Ended up replacing the 390 2 bbl completely He had a little local garage do his services pennzoil 30wt once a year need it or not. High Ash content and engine age did not work out well. He drove it less than 10000 miles a year still only One change a year.

  3800. #3800Truck Shop2021-02-24 15:07

    A perfect tractor for pulling a two axle lowboy in city conditions. https://missoula.craigslist.org/hvo/d/stevensville-1982-kenworth-w900b-3406b/7281695640.html

  3801. #3801crane operator2021-02-24 16:57

    That's a super nice truck and they have it priced right also. In my area that's a 15-20,000 truck running and driving. There's a guy by me with one that has a blown motor- and he's wanting $9,000. I've never had a aluminum frame truck though, do they hold up pretty well, or get corrosion issues where the frame meets the suspension components/ 5th wheel/ and brackets etc.?

  3802. #3802Truck Shop2021-02-24 17:06

    CO they all rot, aluminum or steel, but being where it's located or from the frame would be the least of the worries. Out here short WB like that aren't wanted all that much. Notice that it is a short hood W900.

  3803. #3803skyking12021-02-24 17:06

    That would be a nice setup to have to go with a 200 / 250 size hoe.

  3804. #3804Truck Shop2021-02-24 17:11

    One of you eastern folks needs to take a trip to Stevensville, just a little south of Missoula off HWY 12.

  3805. #380556wrench2021-02-25 11:19

    i worked on a few of the aluminum frame trucks. up here they corroded badly. the fifth wheel would lift off the top of the frame from the corrosion build-up. also, once the frame rails cracked they were throw-away. saw one that had a sketchy patch on the side of the rail but that was in the days before mandatory commercial vehicle inspections. its a good thing that inspections got that type of junk off our roads. the best use for aluminum frames was to be melted down and made into beer cans IMO

  3806. #3806DMiller2021-02-25 17:45

    Just in from my Previous Employer, the Generator Rotor move was to happen today, something put a Hold on it. Only 220T, cannot see why route would affect it.

  3807. #3807Truck Shop2021-02-25 19:29

    It just depends on the life a truck that has aluminum rails, I've seen several over years old that were in good condition. Double steel rails can be a bigger issue it really depends on the care the rig receives. Keep them washed.

  3808. #3808crane operator2021-02-25 22:04

    The MDOT computer system was all messed up today too. Couldn't get permits to go through, they wanted my crane to conform to their "allowed" axle set ups for permitted loads: 1-2-2 or 1-3-3 etc. Well I ain't moving the crane's axles, so they better get their system back working right.......

  3809. #380956wrench2021-02-26 11:26

    we may have had more issues with aluminum frames up here because of all the road salt and calcium used in the winter. one guy i worked for was fanatical about keeping his trucks cleaned. they were nice to work on but we still had some corrosion issues

  3810. #38104x4ford2021-02-26 14:43

    Not sure what route it’s going on but I do know the 155 bridge over the Mississippi is closed due to a barge strike this morning

  3811. #3811DMiller2021-02-26 17:09

    Not getting close to that Headed to a rail siding to be loaded onto a schnable car

  3812. #3812Old Doug2021-02-26 19:54

    I have some Y blocks after using one its like Ford to a giant step almost like they skipped some steps then they went backwards and made the FE. Their 4 times the engine that the flatheads were. I replaced a 292 with a 330 i was told several times i was going backwards they were right.

  3813. #381356wrench2021-02-27 10:25

    IMO the fe series wasn't too bad. i worked at a ford dealer for 3 yrs and the only big problem i saw was whenever the wrist pin circlip failed, the wrist pin moved over and carved a groove in the cylinder wall. it only happened to the occasional one and that was back in the 70's when they were used in cars, pick-ups and medium duty trucks. IIRC they had some valve seat issues after unleaded fuel came out

  3814. #3814Truck Shop2021-02-27 19:17

    The biggest problem with most Fords years back was oiling. The FE had oil rifle through the block from pump to filter housing of 1/2" diameter and 1/2" in and out of the filter housing. Then it dropped in size to slightly over 3/8" back through the block from oil filter housing to main oil rifle. Main oil rifle was 1/2". There is plenty of meat in the block so it can be enlarged to 1/2" just by drilling. The valve guides especially the exhaust would wear real bad. A big craze back in the 80's was to use Perfect Circle brand positive valve guide seals which made things worse by cutting off any lube to the guide. The third thing that was a problem on most any FE Except certain 428's and all 427's was the bad tunning of the intake runners. If a FE had a miss or loss of compression you could just bet it would be on #3 cylinder at least 85% of the time. The intake runner length and position on #3 caused a lean cylinder. The best four barrel intake was the 428 Sidewinder Single 4BBL dual plane. The carb sat off to one side more than the other. Ford Knew there was a lean condition and that intake was designed that way to tune runner length. The Sidewinder came on 68 and 69 428 Super Cobra Jet engines and was a factory aluminum intake medium rise. Big money to find one. And is still the best aluminum intake for a FE.

  3815. #3815Truck Shop2021-05-10 19:53
  3816. #3816Truck Shop2021-05-10 20:08
  3817. #3817DMiller2021-05-10 20:16

    Corn Flake and Pig Iron Express. Surprised not to see Green Barn in these!! Garroted freight. Ignorant Mother Lovers among other choice wording for IML.

  3818. #3818JPV2021-05-10 20:30

    What's the story behind the Boeing jet truck?

  3819. #3819Truck Shop2021-05-10 21:02

    Just early day turbine experiment. In next 15 years you will see all sorts of designs.

  3820. #3820Hallback2021-05-10 21:25

    C15, 18 speed, 46k double lockers on air, custom front axle & disc brakes all around.

  3821. #3821petepilot2021-05-10 22:15

    80-81?

  3822. #3822Hallback2021-05-10 22:25

    77 I think is what he told me.

  3823. #3823Truck Shop2021-05-11 07:25

    Pretty nice rig, everything except the disc brakes. I use to change out on average 4 to five drive axle wheel seals a year, now because of the small seal cavity and constant heat build-up in heavy traffic it's sometimes 5 wheel seals a week with air disc.

  3824. #3824Old Doug2021-05-11 07:38

    I have only been around 1 truck with disc maybe they will stop making them and they will be a just a bad memory.

  3825. #3825Truck Shop2021-05-11 07:41
  3826. #3826Birken Vogt2021-05-11 09:21

    What kind of disc brakes on a unit of that age?

  3827. #3827skyking12021-05-11 10:22

    From the C15 on I don't think much of that truck is of "that age" any more.

  3828. #3828Truck Shop2021-05-11 12:06

    Two choices-Bendix or Meritor/Wabco..

  3829. #3829JPV2021-05-11 14:20

    It originally had a 3408 with a retarder that he rebuilt a couple times then swapped in the C-15. I believe he bought it new.

  3830. #3830Truck Shop2021-05-11 14:40

    That was a definite up-grade.

  3831. #3831Hallback2021-05-11 16:25

    Very good! He just had the C15 rebuilt by a guy over in Madras also. We race together in the stick shift classes here in the Northwest. He's a top-notch driver an excellent guy. The only thing left on that that is a model is the cab and front fibreglass.

  3832. #3832525isx2021-05-11 20:24

    I traded that truck in on my first brand new pete in 1988- that is a '79- bought new by Shelby Martin, had 3408,13spd 2 speed rears on rubber block- I got to talk to Dick at the Morton scale ramp a couple years ago

  3833. #3833Truck Shop2021-05-11 20:51

    When I was just a kid on the dairy farm outside of Prosser, Wa. I took my first ride in a new 1963 K100 with Corky Pistoresi. Early 335 with 5 X 4. The aluminum cattle boxes were built by Rea Manufacturing in Touchet, Wa. The sign is still on the old building. Pictured below is Nello Pistoresi standing in the center with drivers. Nello had the finest looking rigs on the road in those days. The paint schemes were unique and really look better than 98% of the paint jobs done today. Pistoresi was and still is based in Toppenish, Wa. Although they don't haul livestock anymore, deregulation in the early 80's ended that. The color photos are circa 78.

  3834. #3834Birken Vogt2021-05-11 20:58

    One reason I was curious is that in a former life we had a Van Pelt fire truck with 6V92 for go and disc brakes for stop. (Also Jakes) I remember somebody saying the brakes were not that good. It may have been built in the early 80s. Never heard or seen anything else that old with discs. When they came out in a big way back in the early-mid '00s there was a lot of complaining of course. But I don't know what kind of discs they would have had 20 years before that.

  3835. #3835Truck Shop2021-05-11 21:12

    The air disc in the early 80's was Bendix also. And yes it was true garbage especially combined with the early Bendix ABS/anti-skid. There were many law suits over that. The ABS would keep backing the application air off which meant you had to apply more air which would cause a low air situation. On a long grade the next thing you knew was the low air buzzer and light went on-if wig wag it dropped.

  3836. #3836skyking12021-05-12 00:47

    Nice old pics @Truck Shop . The Pistoresi trucks and that one loading at the rail car, cool.

  3837. #383759 North2021-05-12 14:23

    The grill on the red Freightliner COE in the first photo reminds me of a couple of trucks my father purchased used (ex CF?). Don't recall what years they where, (late 50's?). No radiator behind the grill, it was located in lower RR corner of the cab. 4 wheel drive and very short wheel base. 220? Cummins and 10spd road ranger. Cab did not tilt.

  3838. #3838Truck Shop2021-05-12 17:43

    The Freightliner Cab over in the first photo above was built between 1953 to 1957. The first tilt cab model was 1958. !968 was first year wipers were lowered on front of cab. In those early years diesel engine choices were limited to Buda or Cummins.

  3839. #3839DMiller2021-05-12 17:46

    Chesterfield MO Airport had a Foam Truck we would have to go out annually and rebuild the calipers at the airfield, Bendix ABS Disc Brakes, could NOT drive it on roadways as Empty weighed in at 83,000 lb four axle. SUCKED.

  3840. #3840Truck Shop2021-05-12 18:27

    And here comes DMiller getting his kicks driving his favorite looking truck and hauling a spare favorite truck. lol. But he needs to step on it he's slowing up traffic on Route 66.

  3841. #3841DMiller2021-05-12 20:06

    I oughta just buy one and get it over with.

  3842. #3842Hallback2021-05-12 21:59

    Lots of cool tri-fives too!!

  3843. #3843Truck Shop2021-05-12 22:01

    In one photo It's billy bob perkins happy owner of a fruit can.

  3844. #3844Hallback2021-05-12 22:29

    The buzzin' dozen?

  3845. #3845DMiller2021-05-13 04:29

    Appears to be one!!

  3846. #3846Truck Shop2021-05-13 07:41

    Volcanite-those trucks are kind of rare. 351 model Pete's in Hawaii special ordered with V12's.

  3847. #3847Birken Vogt2021-05-13 10:51

    I would have guessed Detroit was always the base option. When and how did they make it to trucks in a big way?

  3848. #3848Truck Shop2021-05-13 11:38

    The 6-71 inline was detroits main stay for day cab city delivery trucks starting in the late 40's early 50's. But those were gutless wonders. But GM offered them cheap to manufactures so dealers had leverage to work on cost of new trucks.

  3849. #3849DMiller2021-05-13 13:56

    Early to Mid 70s the 8v71(318) was a common or typical engine for Frt Lnr and Corn Queens

  3850. #3850Truck Shop2021-05-13 18:03

    Ford, GMC, Chevy, Pete, KW, Wester Star all had Detroits in their engine line-up, the main being the 8V71 because of hp rating of 318 which wasn't far off from the 335/350 Cummins and Cat 1673 @325 hp. But GM/Detroit would sell to manufactures $500 to $750 less per engine. The Cat 1693 was looked at as a owner/operator spec engine at 425hp, same with the 12V71 and Cummins KT/KTA 450 thru 600 hp engines. When Detroit came out with the double OO 8V92 it put out power but was nothing more than a 8V71 block and rods punched to accept 92 liners. The 71 main caps did not have enough material to handle the horse power and main caps cracking was a real common problem. Then came the Silver 92 with redesigned block and heads but because the double OO series had a bad reputation it didn't sell well till Detroit threw a 200,000 mile warranty at it, then sales took off. Plus Detroit re-rated it to 475 hp which caused owner operators to take a second look. But even with all that said it made a terrible engine for on highway use. It's a two stroke and those don't like to be idled plus those engines don't like constant rpm swings or to be pulled down and run at lower rpms. Those engines will last and perform much longer with constant high rpms. Years ago talking with a Detroit rep the on road rated two strokes were designed/planned to burn a gallon of 30-40 wt every 3,000 to 3,500 miles. Remember slam your hand in the door Cowboy!

  3851. #3851Hallback2021-05-13 18:16

    Ashless 40wt by the gallon!! Detroits were excellent for yarders though.

  3852. #3852skyking12021-05-13 19:03

    That little mom and pop dredge I ran had 8v92 in it. It made a good pump engine.

  3853. #3853Truck Shop2021-05-13 20:20

    And a Cadillac tow truck.

  3854. #3854Birken Vogt2021-05-13 23:13

    I always figured they burned a lot more fuel too, but you surely know better, how was the comparative fuel economy of the 318 vs the Cummins and/or Cat?

  3855. #3855DMiller2021-05-14 04:18

    Concrete companies here preferred the 6Ls for weight. Did not care were slow as could add more materials to a load. Old Eucs at the quarries were dependable starters even in severe cold, again not fast just hauled a lot of materials. Fuel consumption until the 70s was not a concern, do not believe I ever knew of a 318 that got better than 4.5-5mpg. In river service they could slobber along and no one seemed to care.

  3856. #3856DMiller2021-05-14 06:01

    The old Caddy's were a score for many industrious types, V12, major HP, built strong as any truck was. Was noted in a friends family memories that his Dad and Uncle bought them on the cheap as people lost everything during the Depression and would convert to wrecker or dump/straight truck. His Dad had a 1930 business coupe and made it into a concrete work form truck, his Mom developed Dementia and burned all the family photos/memories/records one day as she did not know whose they were thinking just trash.

  3857. #3857Truck Shop2021-05-14 07:27

    8v71 vs 350 Cummins----Two more cylinders fires every time the cylinder comes up more moving parts running at a higher rpm= poor fuel mileage plus less power.

  3858. #3858Old Doug2021-05-14 07:42

    Theres one on F B market place right now.

  3859. #3859Old Doug2021-05-14 07:55

    I worked on and drove a Astro that had a 318 13 speed . I cant remember just what it got now but it got ok milage better than some.

  3860. #3860Crummy2021-05-14 09:38

    The concrete truck that delivers here is a Pete with a Silver Detroit. The first time I heard it I said "that's a Dee-troit boys". 7% 7 mile grade & when we hear it down in the valley coming up we know there's enough time to finish your cup of coffee take a leak and get ready, no hurry. He says he pins it at 2200 at the bottom and crawls up. I got behind him once in the mighty 36hp mini truck and had to slow down, but not enough grunt to pass.

  3861. #3861Birken Vogt2021-05-14 09:52

    I remember standing on a narrow side hill gravel road and the truck was coming up, steep grade, 6V92 could not see it but could hear it, I thought I better look for a place to escape they are flying up this hill and will not see me in time. When they finally came around the corner, you guessed it, low gear and lots of Detroit noise but not much else.

  3862. #3862Truck Shop2021-05-14 10:22

    Years ago no one really liked Detroits. If you were unlucky enough to go from a Cat or Cummins to a Detroit it wasn't long and you were looking for something else to drive. Buzzing along with a Detroit 8V71 and a 10spd you were in the gear box all the time on any small grade with 80,000 gvw. A 13 spd wasn't much better it just prolonged the agony. By the end of 10 hrs at the wheel a driver was shot. I can't understand the new found interest in Detroit two strokes that people seem to have these days. A bunch of bs out there about 12V71's those were only 430 hp and never came from factory with turbos. With turbos and 90 injectors they would run yes. But that cost. Like anything those engines were just {ok} in their day.

  3863. #3863Crummy2021-05-14 10:46

    Coming out of the pit up the hill at 54k I can zip right up with the SC Cummins, with 6 yards in the drum he's pretty much the same crawling along and howling like a dog sh'n barbwire. Hard pass on the Detroit.

  3864. #3864Birken Vogt2021-05-14 11:32

    I kind of wondered the same thing myself. The only thing I can figure is it is like the VW bug or similar cars, just nostalgia. They were the cheapest engine for a given truck, everything else cost extra. So that's what bean counter spec vehicles had, so they were common. But the noise and smoke can be amusing. How can something make that much noise and go so slow. And they are so different from what is currently being produced. Not a whole lot of nostalgia for a 14 liter 6 cylinder Cummins, the engine today is pretty much the same thing (basically) as the engine was 40 years ago except the incremental improvements and the junk they hang all over it.

  3865. #386556wrench2021-05-14 12:04

    but you have to admit, nothing idles smoother and than a 2-stroke detroit and can then scream to WOT in a heartbeat . i would like to have a 12V just mounted on a stand to fire up occasionally and drive my neighbors nuts to make up for their dogs barking

  3866. #3866Hallback2021-05-14 15:41

    You ever seen a Harley Davidson?

  3867. #3867skyking12021-05-14 15:53

    Yes it's pretty much a sound thing. Sounds and smells are connected to your memories. I still have my 12 valve truck, but I sure don't drive it. Heck you had to turn it off so the person in front of you could order at a drive-thru!

  3868. #3868skyking12021-05-14 15:59

    Oops

  3869. #3869DMiller2021-05-14 18:13

    I worked on far too many 4070A cabs 2050 Fleetstars, GMC short and long hoods(GULL Wing) with Driptroits, still trying to wipe those memories. Owned my Own 8V92 and wish I had not ever bought it ever time remember it, 79 K100C with a deep reduction 15 speed(Over glorified 10 speed).

  3870. #3870DMiller2021-05-14 18:19

    Speaking of 1930s Caddy's BEE Uteeful Engine and Original. Wheels Thru Time, Maggie Valley NC

  3871. #3871DMiller2021-05-14 19:11

    BTW, this was one of Less Than 4000 V16s ever produced by Caddy. Cadillac 452 engine, 165hp

  3872. #3872Truck Shop2021-05-14 19:15

    AKA-John Deere with handle bars. Idling smooth is about all they do. Years ago after school job washing parts sweeping floors in two truck shops. I saw one {12V71} on a engine stand in one of the shops. I was also there the afternoon it was test fired before setting between rails. New injector hung and no blower flaps to kill it, it died with two pairs of overalls. then tear down. Great engines they are, I've had my fun with them.

  3873. #3873DMiller2021-05-14 19:24

    My ego burner was a 6v53 on a Ag Pump stationary skid 20 feet above grade. Basic service run rack, everything was NORMAL until bumped it for a idle start, and it ran away. STUPID little engines, CO2 fire extinguisher shut it off. Tore it down, new bearings inspected internals, re-ringed it, NOT EVER finding a cause for runoff, second start absolutely normal. Typical of these V series grenades.

  3874. #3874Truck Shop2021-05-14 19:36

    On a different note-some early air ride suspension. Most think of the late 60's for air ride. Oldest I've personally seen was 1957 Fruehauf.

  3875. #3875DMiller2021-05-14 20:26

    Air bags have come quite a ways from those days.

  3876. #3876skyking12021-05-16 10:13

    Found this one yesterday while wandering the back roads of Sequim. There are 3 more Kenworth log trucks out back too. Looks like the farm was sold and new owners are into farming not trucks.

  3877. #3877JPV2021-05-16 10:50

    Here's a neat one just north of Longview, I don't know anything about it.

  3878. #3878skyking12021-05-16 10:59

    Poor thing is right down to the bumper. I hope it is on blocks.

  3879. #3879Hallback2021-05-16 13:37

    You must have been out Palo Alto road?

  3880. #3880Hallback2021-05-16 13:38

    Delameter road?

  3881. #3881Truck Shop2021-05-16 13:39

    Bottom photo appears to be a AB-Mack and possibly a BC model many cab parts overlap.

  3882. #3882JPV2021-05-16 13:44

    Hazell Dell between Delameter and Westside Highway

  3883. #3883DMiller2021-05-16 16:41

    Old dump truck is a Corn Queen. Mid to late 30s

  3884. #3884Truck Shop2021-05-16 17:32

    Yes-34 to 1936.

  3885. #3885skyking12021-05-16 20:05

    Corner of Schmuck and Washington Harbor. Schmuck, LOL!

  3886. #3886Truck Shop2021-05-16 21:41

    Hall Scott-I would photo it's brother a 1091 cu. in but it's setting in storage area with mountain of crap piled on top.

  3887. #3887Truck Shop2021-05-17 19:54

    A row of new 1954 Corn Queens all lined up.

  3888. #3888Truck Shop2021-05-17 20:35

    I like this photo but there is a problem with it. Notice Mr. Biscuits and gravy is the one reading the Torque O Meter Snap On. it should be the other way around Mr. Lard *** should be rowing while Little Slim reads the gauge. Cummins.

  3889. #3889Birken Vogt2021-05-17 22:08

    The guy pulling the wrench looks a tad older than the guy reading it also. I like the photo also because you can see the light and shadow, makes you imagine the grimy 1'x1' clear glass window panes where the sun is streaming in, that can also be tilted out with that hook on a pole thing for when it gets hot. If one of those old shops came up for rent and was otherwise suitable I would rent it in a heartbeat just to get the ambiance, there are a few of them around here.

  3890. #3890Truck Shop2021-05-17 22:17

    BV you left out the stink in the break room after a weekend off visiting with Jim Beam. I was around that years ago, the one shop had a pet spider and he was a drunk too.

  3891. #3891DMiller2021-05-18 05:31

    OLD Cummins, set up for Eccentric W/P!! Possibly a Supercharged 190/230, with a Blower drive on the lower right front in photo.

  3892. #3892Truck Shop2021-05-18 13:27

    Back then.

  3893. #3893DB22021-05-18 15:09

    Wonder how the windshield got smashed?

  3894. #3894Truck Shop2021-05-18 15:26

    Ice falling from tree, who knows. Two years ago one of our drivers ended up with a Great Horned owl flopping around in the passenger seat.

  3895. #3895skyking12021-05-18 16:02

    I remember a Sears service driver down the Yakima valley collected a pheasant that way.

  3896. #3896Truck Shop2021-05-18 20:24

    That's called {Pheasant embedded in glass} in the cooking world.

  3897. #3897Truck Shop2021-05-18 21:01
  3898. #3898Truck Shop2021-05-18 21:32

    The 50's

  3899. #3899DMiller2021-05-19 06:40

    Who ended up with Garrett and PIE? Did not keep up with that sales and buyouts back in the day.

  3900. #3900kshansen2021-05-19 09:25

    Had to dig out old manual to refresh on which way you rotate those eccentric W/P's to tighten the belts. It's counter-clockwise, not sure how any youngster will figure that out what with everything being digital these days!

  3901. #3901mowingman2021-05-19 10:48

    PIE was sold by Ryder in the mid 80's to some investment company out of Chicago, I think. Anyway, they went bankrupt in 1990 and closed down. All assets were sold off. Garrett was sold to ANR, and I believe that company went under, possibly in the very late 1990's. Not sure what happened after that. Jeff

  3902. #3902Truck Shop2021-05-19 14:05

    P.I.E. was slowly eaten by deregulation from the early 80's. P.I.E. started as a small outfit in Pocatello Id. and Twin Falls Id.. About three weeks ago I had someone in the shop asking how to tighten the belts on a 335.

  3903. #3903DMiller2021-05-19 18:16

    Hope they can find the W/P seal ring, when it starts leaking

  3904. #3904Truck Shop2021-05-19 18:46

    Well he was in luck or I was feeling sorry for him, I had a box of Cummins odds and ends and gave him the only sealing ring I had.

  3905. #3905kshansen2021-05-19 18:48

    I would bet there is at least one of those in an old gasket set on the shelf above the bench in what used to be the motor shop at the quarry. A lot of odds and ends of now obsolete parts just sitting there unless someone got busy and cleaned the place out. Stopped doing motor or transmission work there about five years before I retired!

  3906. #3906Truck Shop2021-05-19 19:40

    You can tell these guy's below drink Hawaiian Punch everyday look how happy they are. The little guy is 6'3" the other reached 7' tall drinking Hawaiian Punch. Builds strong bodies 12 ways.

  3907. #3907DMiller2021-05-19 19:45

    IIRC the seal rings were Asbestos wrapped in a copper nearly tubular sleeve, good luck finding any other than those we all used to have!!!

  3908. #3908Birken Vogt2021-05-19 20:39

    I bet they had fun driving the trucks of that era.

  3909. #3909Truck Shop2021-05-19 21:22

    Correct-that's what I handed to him.

  3910. #3910Truck Shop2021-05-19 21:28

    You Midwesterners should all know this place. Too bad a piece of Americana going away and a land mark. Putting in a Pilot/Flying J? The man who started it below.

  3911. #3911Old Doug2021-05-19 21:43

    My cousin worked there for several years. I havent been buy there in years i live about a hour away.

  3912. #3912Tenwheeler2021-05-19 22:33

    Damn that. Then they may leak leak. Buy the same brand and number belt. Cut the old ones off and roll the new ones on.

  3913. #3913Truck Shop2021-05-20 20:20

    48 to 1950 GMC's, notice no mirrors.

  3914. #3914Truck Shop2021-05-21 20:27

    And we can't forget the Waukesha power in trucks years ago.

  3915. #3915DMiller2021-05-21 20:35

    Buda Hercules Chalmers Red Diamond Black Diamond even White’s Mustang engines Are so many dead soldiers behind us now.

  3916. #3916Truck Shop2021-05-21 20:54

    That's true--then you have someone looking for a Hall Scott 177 for this 1938 Fageol fire truck built by Portland Fire Truck, only five built and the only one left.

  3917. #3917Truck Shop2021-05-22 01:17

    I hate to say this buuuttttttttttttttttt in reality any truck with a Cat engine for power is a dead soldier, Cat hasn't produced a on road engine since when 2007? And with the future turning away from diesel power Cat never will get involved with on road again. Even though you can still buy parts for them they remain in the category of dead soldier. Great engines but dead in that department. Some will argue this but it's fact.

  3918. #3918doublewide2021-05-26 19:35

    1989 Ford 9000 tri axle https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:e2d06298-ab48-4fbe-8d93-0444b4c0b9f4

  3919. #3919Truck Shop2021-05-26 20:00

    It's a nice looking old LTL---But I would bet a paycheck with double rails-there rust jacked. With ford parts in limited supply there is a reason it's for sale.

  3920. #3920Truck Shop2021-05-26 20:05

    Old S.E. ads. And notice the prices-same price or even more 35 years later on the specifications.

  3921. #392159 North2021-05-26 21:50

    Anyone recall the 20 Speed Spicer transmission? Good / Bad? 1320?, Single stick, not 5x4.

  3922. #3922petepilot2021-05-26 22:31

    I remember a 12 & a 16 with a shift system that gave you all gears in reverse don`t remember the model # at the moment

  3923. #3923DMiller2021-05-27 04:43

    Air split, cylinder shifted brownie marriage box, single cs not the most dependable in any configuration

  3924. #392459 North2021-05-27 13:37

    Thanks. I only remember seeing one, in a early '80s 359 w/ 3406A.

  3925. #3925Truck Shop2021-05-28 20:45
  3926. #3926Truck Shop2021-05-28 21:41
  3927. #3927DMiller2021-05-29 06:07

    Trailer nose sleeper, a scary innovation.

  3928. #3928kshansen2021-05-29 09:12

    Did you check all the tire pressures? I think one of them looks a couple pounds low!

  3929. #3929Old Doug2021-05-29 09:59

    That would be a ruff place to sleep.

  3930. #3930mekanik2021-05-29 10:40

    A newspaper clipping from Prince Rupert B.C. Canada. Can anyone tell me the make of the truck?

  3931. #3931Truck Shop2021-05-29 12:37

    It has a KW cab and says Kenworth on the side of hood.

  3932. #3932Truck Shop2021-05-29 12:42

    She's asking how many eggs and how many pieces of bacon. I spotted that also it looks to me to be about 8.8 lbs low, third axle from rear inside.

  3933. #3933crane operator2021-05-29 20:37

    Inside of the inside set of tandems? Or inside of the outboard set of tandems?

  3934. #3934Truck Shop2021-05-29 20:55

    Take tour pick.

  3935. #3935Truck Shop2021-05-30 11:35

    46 REO.

  3936. #3936skyking12021-05-30 11:58

    the 1960 Lorain had it the other way, a 5 speed air shifted main and a 3 speed linkaged brownie. Coupled with the Atlas gas engine it was underwhelming.

  3937. #3937Truck Shop2021-05-31 21:04

    1923 KW with Buda 4 cylinder. First year for Kenworth.

  3938. #3938Truck Shop2021-05-31 21:51

    Those days back when.

  3939. #3939DMiller2021-06-01 05:17

    Curious but would almost hate to see what these points look like today. The old gas tanker, Solid Rubber tires, no cab and no hint of a cover, mechanical brakes and no lights just open flame lanterns!

  3940. #3940Truck Shop2021-06-01 18:59
  3941. #3941Truck Shop2021-06-01 20:13
  3942. #3942Birken Vogt2021-06-02 00:53

    So what are those Labatt trucks and trailers? Never seen anything quite like that.

  3943. #3943DMiller2021-06-02 05:44

    Pre-history Aerodynamics that ALSO did not have any function, the Labatt's Trucks!!! Enganear's have been attempting to get better fuel economy since the early 1900s from Steam and Petroleum based engines by 'Aerodynamics' with minimal to any success. The Streamlined Steamers of the 1920s and 30s did little for efficiency where today's garbage add on's only displace cargo volumes by weight. We tried several different packages on equipment as I worked at Feld/Gelco truck lease in the 70s/80's, made NO Differences except said weight additions. Even had Wind Tunnel testing to confirm viability from McDonnell Aircraft Corp testing center, only thing was they could NOT replicate air speeds less than 130mph, when attempted the turbulence values were excessive around the models and could not achieve ANY desired results. Even in a 60mph head wind that a semi MIGHT encounter maintaining 70mph, the values were ZERO efficacy. MacAir had used air speeds in excess of 150mph to show ANY value to streamlining mods on trucks.

  3944. #3944Truck Shop2021-06-02 07:38

    Most of it was just marketing and some automobile styling carried over to trucks-like the fender skirts.

  3945. #394556wrench2021-06-02 10:03

    I personally liked a lot of the designs from the art-deco era. The designers showed some imagination instead of trying to make stuff look like rockets or jets

  3946. #3946Birken Vogt2021-06-02 10:10

    I can't tell what era they are from. The style looks like 1930s Art Deco sort of, but the 10 hole Budd wheels make me think more modern than that.

  3947. #3947Truck Shop2021-06-02 10:47

    Most of the deco was mid thirties to mid fifties. Those are late 30's early 40's.

  3948. #3948Truck Shop2021-06-02 10:59
  3949. #3949JPV2021-06-02 13:03

    By comparison those are gorgeous compared with what is being dreamt up these days. As much as I love trucks I have zero interest in these kinds of things

  3950. #3950Truck Shop2021-06-02 13:25

    That's nice. Who gets to change the center marker lights?

  3951. #3951Truck Shop2021-06-02 17:07

    Labatt's liked easily recognizable delivery trucks years ago.

  3952. #3952kshansen2021-06-02 18:36

    Now if they were thinking they would be accessed from inside but then you would have to gut the cab interior for access! Maybe the truck comes with manlift?

  3953. #3953Truck Shop2021-06-02 19:47

    Just a forklift and a pallet.

  3954. #3954crane operator2021-06-02 20:09

    No- you need one of those fork o manlifts, safety first.

  3955. #3955Truck Shop2021-06-02 21:43

    That kind of equipment only contractors own.

  3956. #3956Truck Shop2021-06-02 23:56

    Post anything to get away from hydraulically operated crud. Guess this rig without looking it up.

  3957. #3957Truck Shop2021-06-03 00:12

    Wouldn't this be a dandy to take your last ride in.

  3958. #3958Truck Shop2021-06-03 18:42

    Some more early times. Plus a early 2%er quad cab-Crew Cab. Nobody would be caught dead riding in a crew cab years ago--can't live without one now people think.

  3959. #3959Labparamour2021-06-03 19:32

    They even had drop axles on the tractors back then...!

  3960. #3960DMiller2021-06-03 19:47

    That was training wheels!!

  3961. #3961Truck Shop2021-06-03 20:21

    Early day performance testing.

  3962. #3962Truck Shop2021-06-03 20:55

    Salt Water Chevy, Jail Bar Ford and a early rolling **** house RV. What an assortment.

  3963. #3963Truck Shop2021-06-04 12:24

    Stupid. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=513133793422413

  3964. #3964DMiller2021-06-04 20:01

    Got a little oil spillage

  3965. #3965Truck Shop2021-06-04 20:02
  3966. #3966Truck Shop2021-06-06 21:07

    With west coast mirrors and fender mounted spot mirror.

  3967. #3967Truck Shop2021-06-07 19:26

    Here-something in color, It even says Dave Miller.

  3968. #3968DMiller2021-06-08 06:06

    Old Acar is pretty cool Fish eye lens photo really exaggerated the hood length!! Corn Queens, hmmm.

  3969. #3969Old Doug2021-06-08 21:16

    Nice trailer no way it would get hung up on the railroad tracks.

  3970. #3970kshansen2021-06-09 07:57

    Thought maybe it had a 16V71 under that hood!

  3971. #3971crane operator2021-06-09 18:31

    Don't be shy, we know you love the looks of it. You can make the picture your screensaver.

  3972. #3972Old Doug2021-06-10 17:15

    Saw this jewel at the scrap yard 1955 chevy bus/camper. I went over to look at it 427 tall deck. The scrap yard owner is save the engine for a shortbed prodject.

  3973. #3973DMiller2021-06-10 19:33

    Shades of 1967

  3974. #3974Truck Shop2021-06-10 20:41

    Shades of 1967 like this hangout. Probably most wouldn't know about it.

  3975. #3975Truck Shop2021-06-10 20:45

    1967 plus this

  3976. #3976skyking12021-06-10 22:31
  3977. #3977Tugger22021-06-11 00:18

    I remember riding to school in one of those. They always ran old stuff when we grew up.

  3978. #3978Truck Shop2021-06-12 21:13

    Life on the road-making log.

  3979. #3979doublewide2021-06-13 18:35

    1989 Kenworth cabover; https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:9b1453fd-00cb-43fa-a24b-73fabb315eb3

  3980. #3980DMiller2021-06-13 18:52

    Had one near as short, Torsion rear ride, Rockwell Center Point NON Power Steering axle. 8V92 Pig and finance slayer. K100C, 10 years older and just as block headed.

  3981. #3981Truck Shop2021-06-13 18:58

    That's a set back.

  3982. #3982DMiller2021-06-13 19:00

    Yep, and my own rode like crap as had OE style front springs not the long arch for the SBA.

  3983. #3983petepilot2021-06-13 19:01

    a really pretty un cobbled emeryville from last weeks aths show

  3984. #3984Truck Shop2021-06-13 20:47

    Nice photo PP!

  3985. #3985skyking12021-06-14 01:03

    I drove a 92 K100 very similar to this one across the country on my one bedbugging adventure. Cummins power.

  3986. #3986Truck Shop2021-06-14 18:24

    Ah Ha! now we know---a bed bugger all long you were keeping that real quiet.

  3987. #3987Truck Shop2021-06-14 18:29

    A wheat field Mouse House-it wasn't too bad on the outside but to remove the stink inside that would require fire. Although someone did buy it-I doubt they could get the stink out. In some areas mouse crap was a 1/2" deep.

  3988. #3988DMiller2021-06-14 19:37

    Torsion Ride, NOT EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

  3989. #3989Truck Shop2021-06-14 20:16

    Oh come on now why that's great suspension-especially with a live load.

  3990. #3990skyking12021-06-15 00:52

    It's like welding or knowing how to operate a scraper, you learn to keep that shizzle under your hat.

  3991. #3991DMiller2021-06-15 05:33

    So that is why so popular these days!!

  3992. #3992Truck Shop2021-06-15 19:29

    Shizzle?

  3993. #3993skyking12021-06-15 19:54

    Yeah they got a cussin filter here so I just threw shizzle at it

  3994. #3994Truck Shop2021-06-17 11:01

    Critters.

  3995. #3995DMiller2021-06-17 16:51

    Big logs small hp

  3996. #3996Truck Shop2021-06-24 11:02
  3997. #3997skyking12021-06-24 13:36

    I don't ever recall pulling a front wheel and drum as a unit! I mean it makes perfect sense if that's all you're going to do but I always got it as light as possible before I messed with the bearing.

  3998. #3998Truck Shop2021-06-24 14:00

    He probably didn't do it that way {normally} either. Good chance he was driving along and the wheel, tire and drum decided to roll off in the ditch.

  3999. #3999Truck Shop2021-06-25 14:59

    Top photo is {Helpless and Hungry Towing Service}

  4000. #4000BSAA65LB2021-06-26 09:33
  4001. #4001DMiller2021-06-26 09:45

    Pretty crude for today State of the art for back in the day and most likely Gas engine Cool looking

  4002. #400256wrench2021-06-26 10:57

    As far as pulling the wheel and drum as an assembly, i've done it that way lots of times, front or rear or trailer, as long as i'm not changing the drum. Drives or trailers, i use a dolly if on concrete, or if outside in the dirt use a greased wide plank. Also works with steers. With the weight just off the bearings they slide right off after the seal breaks loose. Same on the steers. It just takes more care because they don't balance on their own like a dual assy. There's no actual heavy lifting. You have to be careful reassembling so as to not damage the seal. This procedure saves having to re-torque wheels and is easy to check bearing adjustment on older trucks in my opinion, and it can save time in the long run as long as the brakes can be backed off enough. On old trucks and trailers with spoked hubs it also saves time by not having to break the wheels and spacer bands loose during removal and to true the wheels during installation assuming they were true to begin with. Just my opinion.

  4003. #4003Truck Shop2021-06-26 11:51

    That's a fact 56-but with disc air brakes you get to disassemble the whole thing. It's all inboard and a POS.

  4004. #4004DMiller2021-06-26 13:18

    I was SO Ecstatic Spoiled as Outboard Drums came on scene on Heavy Trucks, those days gone.

  4005. #4005Truck Shop2021-06-26 17:07

    That's a post war Pete mid to late 40's.

  4006. #4006mks2021-06-26 17:13

    Ya but it make a good run around truck.

  4007. #4007Truck Shop2021-06-26 17:17

    Oh no, that truck wouldn't be going anywhere. Parked in a heated/air conditioned building dusted and polished weekly.

  4008. #4008DMiller2021-06-26 17:49

    Was really working at reading the License Plate date code, appears a 48 in top RH Corner of plate(LH Looking at it).

  4009. #4009Truck Shop2021-06-26 19:46

    This one here is a 1939.

  4010. #4010terex herder2021-06-26 20:49

    This one is an 18 model. It was driven into the show grounds. That is a lot of change in 21 years.

  4011. #4011skyking12021-06-26 20:53

    no kidding.

  4012. #4012Truck Shop2021-06-26 21:00

    Pretty common one off models in those days. From teens through the thirties there were over a 200 truck manufactures.

  4013. #4013Truck Shop2021-06-26 21:06

    To me this is a lot of change.

  4014. #4014skyking12021-06-27 00:08

    This was only 29 years in The Schneider Trophy plane the debuted the Rolls Royce v-12 in 1929, only 26 years in

  4015. #4015DMiller2021-06-27 06:54

    36 years in: Ohain USAF He 178 page61 - Jet aircraft - Wikipedia The ME262 was 41 years in. Technology moves fast during wartime.

  4016. #4016kshansen2021-06-27 08:42

    Yes just last night I saw mention of the "1941’s Louisiana Maneuvers" before WW2. The heavy use of horses sure got changed out fast in the next year or two! If not familiar with "Louisiana Maneuvers" do a Google search on it.

  4017. #4017Pony2021-06-27 08:52

    TS, what sort of horsepower would the Peterbilt you posted at the top of the pages have?

  4018. #4018Truck Shop2021-06-27 09:51

    180.

  4019. #4019Truck Shop2021-06-27 10:00

    My dad was in the last 4 years of horse drawn artillery. He served from 1934 to 1946. From 34 to 38 he was at Fort Sam Houston, he drove six horse or mule team pulling munitions and piece. 1938 was the year the army started to switch to total mechanized transport. He was the last of the brown boots. He rode color guard in front of the top three army generals at Fort Sam. From 1943he was in the south pacific in the army air corp. First Sargent/Master.

  4020. #4020skyking12021-06-27 10:49

    My dad was in the 4th Marine Division South Pacific in '43 too. When he went to muster out and recuperate in Klamath Falls, he and my mom's first husband volunteered to work the stables there because they could hang out there and not have to put up with much BS besides the horse poop. The soldiers would ride horses for rest and self-therapy. K-Falls has a lot of guys with what they called shell shock in those days.

  4021. #4021Truck Shop2021-06-29 13:41

    3412 in the twin steer.

  4022. #4022Queenslander2021-06-29 19:13

    Do you have any backstory for the Kenworth TS? Has a distinct Qld. feel about it. Maroon lettered plate and, what looks to be, an old ACCO parked up in the background.

  4023. #4023DMiller2021-06-29 19:53

    Think Moby is Compensating for something not so Moby??

  4024. #4024Truck Shop2021-06-29 19:57

    BIS ring any bells, it was converted from a BIS rig so the story goes.

  4025. #4025Truck Shop2021-06-29 20:45
  4026. #4026Truck Shop2021-06-30 10:28

    Complete with screen door bug screen.

  4027. #4027BSAA65LB2021-07-01 08:33
  4028. #4028Truck Shop2021-07-01 18:54

    Snoqualmie Limber Company.

  4029. #4029crane operator2021-07-01 20:05

    I've really been enjoying these last groups of photo's, with all the multipiece rims and big 20 and 24" rubber. I have two cranes still on 20" rubber and though I don't love changing them, I guess I enjoy seeing pics of the old trucks set up for big tire loads. (yeah- I look at pictures of old trucks and look at the tires, there's something wrong with me- don't tell anyone). So I've got a question about Truck Shops last photo, and I'm just a farmboy at heart, so bear with me. I always thought with bar/ tractor lug type tires, you positioned them directionally like the yellow truck on the right in his photo. The drive tires pointed to push the dirt out of the tire as you were driving ahead, to dig in, the steer tires the other way around so the steers would climb up on the mud instead of plowing in, to help you turn. But the red pete in the center has the tires mounted the opposite way. The steers mounted like a drive, and the drives mounted like steers (according to what I was taught- which could be totally wrong). I guess the guy on the left in the blue truck has heard from both guys and didn't know what to do, so he bought diagonal bar rears, and put one steer tire going each way, so he's always 1/2 right? So I'm just curious what the opinions are, on who has their tires mounted correctly in truck shop's picture. Red- yellow- or if you don't know, you can vote with the blue guy and be 1/2 right... But I don't want to hear just what you think is right- I want to know why you think you're right. And if you don't have any reasons- your vote for red or yellow gets thrown out- and gets put with the rest of the daytime nap crowd votes for the blue truck. And also, my equipment has more mirrors on it than most school buses, and I noticed that the blue and yellow trucks have what look like 4" spot mirrors, and the pete doesn't even have mirrors? Was everyone's eyesight better back then? I realize they can't see around those logs, but surely they had to turn around and go back up the mountain?

  4030. #4030Truck Shop2021-07-01 20:47

    In those days and running the type of tire those trucks were running-those tires didn't wear well just mounted in one position rolling at 40 mph on hard packed surface. So to get every penny out them they would flip them on the rim. Main reason for using that type of tire was the ply rating/plus traction on the drives. But as steers there was no real advantage except those tires were tough as hell in that environment. But if you look at the drives on the blue KW with the slanted bar those were a better traction tire for off road and wore better on hard pack/asphalt, that tread pattern was used for years by loggers, but mainly a drive tire or runouts on the trailer.

  4031. #4031Truck Shop2021-07-01 21:56
  4032. #4032Truck Shop2021-07-02 01:22

    A fleet of loggers that have no mirrors. To a off road logger a mirror was just something to get torn off.

  4033. #4033BSAA65LB2021-07-02 07:39
  4034. #4034kshansen2021-07-02 08:32

    Trying to recall some of the stories dad told about his days driving trucks back in late `40/early `50's here in the northeast. One was how if you were running light or empty in a hilly area an came up behind a loaded truck struggling up a grade. It was common to ease up to the back of loaded truck and give them a boost up the hill. He said the big thing is you had to keep a close eye on temp gauge as there would be little air flow as the front truck blocked the wind. Then there was the time he was retuning home empty from some place south of Central NY. Truck had a problem with brakes and he was running with another driver from same outfit with a truck with good brakes. So the good brake truck was just careful to not get too far ahead and when they came to a step grade dad would just ease up to the back of the truck with good brakes to let that guy hold him back!

  4035. #4035Truck Shop2021-07-02 08:52

    Years back-I don't know about now days. Logging roads in use were posted by UFS or DNR {Watch For Log Trucks-Log Trucks Have Right Away}.

  4036. #4036Birken Vogt2021-07-02 09:32

    That happened here a few years ago. I'm sure you know how flat the Central Valley is and they have gravel pits so there are lots of double belly dumps running rock around the valley on flat ground. Now once in a while there will be a big road project up here in the hills and they will be loading rock down there and hauling it up here and lots of trucks sitting by the side of the 6% with broken engines or whatever because they are not used to this pedal to the metal hill grinding. This time it was different. The rock plant that got the job was in the hills and the job was close to the valley so these flatland truck drivers were descending the 6% highway fully loaded. I came upon the carnage right after it happened, one truck had managed to get into the rear of the other and they both got stopped eventually, but I passed by at least one drive shaft and a lot of expensive parts and oil laying in the road. I don't think anybody was seriously hurt.

  4037. #4037kshansen2021-07-02 16:33

    Another one I recalled dad mentioning, this one had a bad ending. Seems dad was only a few miles from home and a car with some teenagers blew through a stop sign and hit the axle on the trailer. Hit it with enough force it knocked it right off the trailer. You can probably figure out that it was not a good ending for at least one of the kids. Then one of the cops on the scene asked dad if he could move the trailer out of the intersection! Dad said that for a few years after that he could still see the gouges the trailer frame left in the road. Experiences like that is probably why he took the job our neighbor told him about at the local stone quarry in the early 1950's and he stayed there till 1987!

  4038. #4038Truck Shop2021-07-02 18:32

    Seen my share driving semi and tow truck through the years. Three things that cause wrecks-inattention, following too close and speed. One or two of those three are a ingredient in every wreck.

  4039. #4039DMiller2021-07-02 19:43

    Had wrecker duty one weekend for my first job fleet, driver fell asleep and missed the turn to access a bridge, drove off the buff and into the bluff face on other side of large dry creek. Had to cut the COE Freightliner cab apart to get what was left of him out, trailer and load broke away from fifth wheel plate on impact and drove into back of cab square. Not the first time I emptied stomach contents at a wreck site.

  4040. #4040Old Doug2021-07-02 21:39

    I had a friend whos brother in law was a engineer at firestone he said they rolled easyer backwards. I wonder if ether they were using some spears they had mounted up or like alot of times tires are carelessly put on the wrong way? Allso witch way would they give better braking power?

  4041. #4041Truck Shop2021-07-02 22:04

    Those trucks were probably equipped with water spray to cool the brakes. Pretty common in those days before engine brakes.

  4042. #4042DMiller2021-07-03 06:42

    The Spray Coupe Buggy's around here have Chevrons on front tires backward, rears are normal is so they can push in reverse when start to get stuck. Lug Chevrons on grain carts are backward and as noted they do roll easier backward according to the guys that pull them.

  4043. #4043BSAA65LB2021-07-03 07:47
  4044. #4044DMiller2021-07-03 08:49

    Now There is a Beast!!! IIRC Cab does NOT raise, had to work thru access panels on the doghouse. Would be so cool to have, LESS the Minnesota Mags!

  4045. #4045Truck Shop2021-07-03 13:23

    Those were horrible to work on unless you are a dwarf.

  4046. #4046Truck Shop2021-07-03 18:21
  4047. #4047Truck Shop2021-07-03 20:26
  4048. #4048Truck Shop2021-07-04 20:56
  4049. #4049Truck Shop2021-07-04 21:13

    That's Mt Rainer above.

  4050. #4050Truck Shop2021-07-06 19:34

    Oil patch rigs.

  4051. #4051Truck Shop2021-07-06 19:35
  4052. #4052Jumbo2021-07-06 21:12

    Left, Armand E. (Snoz) Olsen driver. Center; Leo Kelly driver. Right Gus Person driver. Snoz was the very first driver at Snoqualmie he hired out in 1934 as a speeder operator on the woods line. He was asked if he was interested in trying to drive a truck. He said yes. That made him senior driver until he retired in 1977. Leo came on about 8 months later which made him #3 driver when he retired in 1976. Gus came on sometime either just before or early WW II and was truck boss when I was driving for Weyerhaeuser in the mid 70s. Gus retired not long after I left in 1978. Driving with all of them was an education as us younger drivers would whine about what was really silly stuff like heaters not working or wipers not working.

  4053. #4053Truck Shop2021-07-06 21:18

    Thanks a bunch for that info Jumbo-It's nice to have drivers associated with the photos.

  4054. #4054Pony2021-07-07 05:55

    What's the purpose of the oil patch Rigs TS, working on sand/soft conditions and need those tyres for flotation?

  4055. #4055Truck Shop2021-07-07 07:27

    Correct.

  4056. #4056Truck Shop2021-07-07 20:32
  4057. #405756wrench2021-07-08 12:52

    Try to get a million miles out of todays engines with only a few minor repairs . That $544 would only be a diagnostic cost

  4058. #4058skyking12021-07-08 15:37

    Burning propane is a pretty sweet setup. There's absolutely no cylinder rinsing at cold start, and the motor oil looks almost brand new after a service interval. I had a couple different propane setups.

  4059. #4059Truck Shop2021-07-08 17:52

    No carbon which is the enemy of a engine.

  4060. #4060Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:02

    Some trashed oil field equipment.

  4061. #4061Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:03
  4062. #4062Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:04
  4063. #4063Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:04
  4064. #4064Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:05
  4065. #4065Truck Shop2021-07-08 19:06
  4066. #4066BSAA65LB2021-07-08 20:53
  4067. #406756wrench2021-07-08 21:20

    My dad had a couple propane-powered school busses. The only downside is potential piston scuffing on cold weather start-up due to lpg being dry. I had it happen to a chevy school bus engine. Classic 4 corner scuffing. Some new pistons etc. and running good again but i raised the curb idle and told the driver( my dad) to always put it on fast idle after it started, to get some oil up on the cylinders. It never happened again

  4068. #4068Truck Shop2021-07-08 21:30

    Propane likes compression-10.5:1 to 11:1 works well with Propane. The other is engines built from factory run slightly more cylinder/piston clearance. Plus hard seats and valves.

  4069. #406956wrench2021-07-08 21:41

    Ya to the seats and valves. When i was an apprentice at a ford dealer, a local propane company also ran propane in their pick-up trucks. They were F250's with the 360FE engines. They were hard on valves and seats. The shop would rebuild the heads with stellite seats but about every 2 years they would be back in for another valve job. Never seemed to have as much of a problem with other engines though

  4070. #4070skyking12021-07-09 00:16

    They do some sketchy stuff in the oil fields!

  4071. #4071Truck Shop2021-07-09 07:38

    FE engines weren't very good as far as cylinder head geometry just running gas. Exhaust guides took a beating.

  4072. #4072Truck Shop2021-07-09 17:21
  4073. #4073Truck Shop2021-07-09 17:26

    Here's two photos I took-a match to the one above. But different trucks-Autocars.

  4074. #4074Truck Shop2021-07-10 20:36

    Funny I have looked for a photo of this Kenworth for a long time and one pops up today. Kenworth only made one of these, built in 1928 powered by a Buda gas in-line six.

  4075. #407556wrench2021-07-10 20:43

    One of the first extended-cab trucks ever made?

  4076. #4076skyking12021-07-10 22:57

    That was a sweet find, TS.

  4077. #4077petepilot2021-07-11 19:09

    looking at this I felt right at home . at a museum polson mt,

  4078. #4078Truck Shop2021-07-11 20:08

    Did you stop at the Ford museum in Big Fork?

  4079. #4079petepilot2021-07-11 20:42

    no did not get a chance to see that one but i have another trip out there coming up i`ll catch it then

  4080. #4080petepilot2021-07-11 20:48

    any idea whether or not this still exists ?

  4081. #4081Truck Shop2021-07-11 20:54

    I believe it's long gone.

  4082. #4082Truck Shop2021-07-11 20:56

    It's a privet museum, mainly 30s, 40s and 50s cars.

  4083. #4083petepilot2021-07-11 21:00

    being the only one likely it does`nt

  4084. #408459 North2021-07-11 21:58

    Truck looks like a White 3000. Looks in good shape? My father had one in the early '70s as a fuel truck. 6 cyl White gas engine , 5spd, dbl reduction rear diff, if I recall correctly. Slow, but seemed like a good truck at the time, gear changes took some getting used to. Trailer and other vehicles interesting also.

  4085. #4085colson042021-07-12 00:10

    Saw this on the way home tonight: 400hp 8v92, 9 speed, spring ride. A bunch of shiny new parts underneath on brakes and suspension. Someone spent a bunch of time fixing brakes and suspension to find out they didn't like the ride.

  4086. #4086BSAA65LB2021-07-12 05:50
  4087. #4087Truck Shop2021-07-12 17:37

    Those weren't much when new and much less now-Where do I start #1 8v92, 9 spd, Minnesota Mag wheels, no parts available for cab and cabovers don't make good dump trucks because spec'ed for highway originally.

  4088. #4088Raildudes dad2021-07-12 18:52

    And my LTL 9000 rides rough......... Might be ok for a site truck but any place else, a rough rider for sure

  4089. #4089Truck Shop2021-07-12 19:07
  4090. #4090Truck Shop2021-07-12 19:08
  4091. #4091Truck Shop2021-07-12 19:09
  4092. #4092Truck Shop2021-07-12 19:57
  4093. #4093colson042021-07-12 21:57

    Not far from you, sitting by Daval's in Hastings! Add another to your collection!

  4094. #4094Old Doug2021-07-13 10:14

    Not to be a a-- but trucks ride ruff i hear guys saying their air ride cab on are ride axles setting in a $900.00 seat rides ruff. Get in a truck with rubber blocks and a broken spring ride seat . My c70 isnt the smoothest it didnt come out with front shocks. My 1985 GMC pickup is very ruff someone over did the rear springs it has 2 main leafs its next to solid. If i had time i would redo the springs and make a real set of over loads for it or air bags.

  4095. #4095Truck Shop2021-07-13 13:36
  4096. #4096kshansen2021-07-13 19:11

    275 to 300 horse power? Wonder how many truckers these days would like all that power?

  4097. #4097crane operator2021-07-13 20:32

    The 300 hp only comes if you're running on butane. I don't even know where you would get butane in that quantity today, let alone on the road.

  4098. #4098Truck Shop2021-07-13 20:47

    The Armour ham and bacon truck is a 30's Kleiber.

  4099. #4099skyking12021-07-13 21:15

    That is one long wheelbase. I bet that was fun to jockey around with armstrong steering.

  4100. #4100Truck Shop2021-07-13 21:18

    That's true-In the winter time that wheel base gave the driver a edge the rest of rigs on the road didn't have.

  4101. #4101skyking12021-07-13 23:21

    Yes for sure! I always laughed at the Jeep guys where I grew up. Those short wheelbases really did not care a bit if they were sliding sideways or backwards on the ice, it was all the same When they came out with the new slogan "it's a Jeep thing" I got a real kick out of it. I'd be driving something with some length and just watch as they spun off into the ditch for pretty much any excuse. if you had an old school long wheelbase 4x4 with those skinny split rims you got where you were going. Those fancy fat tires were useful about 5% of the time in the winter. OK derail over

  4102. #4102Truck Shop2021-07-14 19:50
  4103. #4103BSAA65LB2021-07-17 07:35

    free image cdn

  4104. #4104JPV2021-07-17 10:30
  4105. #4105emmett5182021-07-17 12:19

    What is this? It’s sexier than a Mack B series.

  4106. #4106emmett5182021-07-17 12:43

    I wonder if Lucas Oil had any bearing on this?

  4107. #4107Truck Shop2021-07-17 13:21

    Thanks for posting fellers.

  4108. #4108DMiller2021-07-17 15:02

    Set back axle or some would say extended nose R190 Corn Queen. My Favorite just ask TS.

  4109. #4109Truck Shop2021-07-17 15:40

    Hello, yes sir this Dave Miller speaking, you called the right place. I have five nice R190's on the lot. Road ready and each one is a peach. All have low miles-one of the greatest looking rigs IH ever made. Come on down and I'll make you a deal. I agree Dave, the 190's were hard to look at.

  4110. #4110DMiller2021-07-17 16:01

    210s were MUCH Better wagons, liked those even with similar cab.

  4111. #4111mks2021-07-17 18:30

    Son took this picture will county fairgrounds

  4112. #4112Truck Shop2021-07-17 20:25

    More critters.

  4113. #4113Truck Shop2021-07-17 20:26
  4114. #4114skyking12021-07-17 21:49

    L&E delivered to the Arco I worked at through high school. That's a nice looking truck.

  4115. #4115BSAA65LB2021-07-18 08:32
  4116. #4116Truck Shop2021-07-19 15:42

    Found this 900A long hood setting on the back lot at KW dealer to day. Cat, retarder, 13 with SSHD's on beam biscuit. 79-80 I believe.

  4117. #4117Truck Shop2021-07-19 15:44

    Plus this honey of a dodge in Pomeroy.

  4118. #4118skyking12021-07-19 19:23

    nice finds, Mike. I did not think they let you out of the shop

  4119. #4119Truck Shop2021-07-19 19:36

    Was on business jaunt.

  4120. #4120jim-in-so-ore2021-07-19 23:59

    What brand of truck is that Lee & Estes fuel hauler

  4121. #4121Truck Shop2021-07-20 07:21

    Sterling.

  4122. #4122Truck Shop2021-07-20 19:56
  4123. #4123emmett5182021-07-21 09:53

    Utica Club morphed into Saranac Brewery, and their products are amazing!!! My favorite beer.

  4124. #4124kshansen2021-07-21 10:18

    Living in Central NY I grew up seeing the Utica Club commercials on TV:

  4125. #4125emmett5182021-07-21 10:18

    And thanks for posting all of these pictures. Old cars don't excite me, but old trucks do. One question. Why are the interiors of so many trucks beyond filthy? I guess I understand why dump trucks might be crappy since they are running around dirty, dusty construction sites, but if I was spending 8 hours a day in a truck, I'd want it to be clean, and tidy. When my backhoe arrived, it was disgusting, even though it was only 6 years old. I spent three weeks with a vacuum, brush and cleaning products getting the interior clean, and the same amount of time with a hose, brush and scraper getting the exterior done.

  4126. #4126emmett5182021-07-21 10:21

    Love those old ads.

  4127. #4127kshansen2021-07-21 11:23

    Agree on the disgusting cabs. One example of one I had to work on at the quarry. Seat removed for repairs of suspension. Not visible is the crap under the seat platform or the crap on the ledge behind the seat! These truck drivers sit in the trucks for 8 to 10 hours a day and walk past a dumpster on the way to their cars at the end of shift! And this is only the one I took the time to take a picture of, just glad the camera does not save the smells!

  4128. #4128skyking12021-07-21 15:35

    The 1 ton Duramax I inherited had been smoked in. And eaten in. The boss was embarrassed so he had it detailed but the detail shop was way sub par. I ended up having the driver's seat cushion redone in vinyl, and the things I found underneath that were pretty disgusting. The headliner was also peeling off, so I had that done and that took a whole lot of the smoke out of the truck. It's greatly reduced just doing those couple of things.

  4129. #4129stinky642021-07-21 18:42

    Shultz and Dooley, a friend of mine had an awesome collection of mugs, steins and other Utica Club collectibles until his kid decided to punt a football inside his basement/ mancave and set off a catastrophic chain reaction that took out a whole wall of shelves and destroyed his "priceless" collection...I actually saw a grown man shed a tear that day....Lucky momma was present or the boy may have died that day...

  4130. #4130Truck Shop2021-07-21 19:20

    That's simple {90% chance it doesn't belong to them}. Truth is 65% of people are pigs-I like saying that because it irritates folks, but true. 15% of our drivers are crusty, filthy beasts. They can absolutely trash and crust out the interior of a brand new truck in 5 days. When those crust critters leave the average cost to have the cab and sleeper completely cleaned is around $500.00. We have to have them cleaned for the next new driver-not knowing if he is a crust critter, in some cases the crust should never have been removed because the next driver is worse than the previous crust critter. Pop-coffee spilled here and there, bits and pieces of roaster chicken and corn dog crumbs, special pizza toppings. you name it's all over the place. Oh, I left out the special present they leave-{A Trucker Bomb or two} gallon jugs full of ****. Some trucks are nothing but a homeless shelter.

  4131. #4131kshansen2021-07-21 19:48

    We had a set of the Shultz and Dooley steins but they were one of the things I lost when I got divorced from first wife back in 1999! I did get to keep the house so guess that was a good trade!

  4132. #4132Truck Shop2021-07-21 21:22
  4133. #41334x4ford2021-07-21 22:08

    We have drivers like that in our day cabs absolutely filthy and we have a dumpster we’re you can drive truck and trailer up to and roll your window down to throw your trash out and they are to lazy for that

  4134. #4134petepilot2021-07-21 22:25

    might be able to move a thing or two with that if you could get a thing or two to move

  4135. #4135colson042021-07-22 07:20

    Go to a rental house and rent an ozone machine. My father in law uses one quite regularly on cars he takes in on trade at his dealership. Works really well at removing all kinds of smells and also disinfects the interior of the vehicle.

  4136. #4136Truck Shop2021-07-24 21:40

    Tanker day.

  4137. #4137Truck Shop2021-07-24 21:42

    Odds and ends

  4138. #4138Truck Shop2021-07-24 21:44

    First motor home.

  4139. #4139Pony2021-07-25 08:43

    An idea of a date with the old cletrac and open cab tipper?

  4140. #4140skyking12021-07-25 15:22

    That bottom picture is a fascinating piece of gear, "a good one" as my dad would say about any unknown thing. It appears to bore a hole in the wall to remove some material in a layer or vein and load it out via conveyor. Thanks TS!

  4141. #4141skyking12021-07-25 15:49

    Love this Pete and offroad lowboy from the estate sale. This strange contraption that Weyerhauser cooked up for yarding trees out of creek bottoms along roads. It had two drums with lots of line and a couple of different booms out the back. It was so grown in I could not get a good picture of that.

  4142. #4142Truck Shop2021-07-25 18:50

    Late 40's

  4143. #4143Truck Shop2021-07-25 18:53

    Late 50's early 60's on the Pete and KW.

  4144. #4144Truck Shop2021-07-25 19:13

    Finished work at 9:am then headed for La Grande with tow from Friday. Radiator burst-compression gasses-head was just replaced under warranty.

  4145. #4145Truck Shop2021-07-25 19:16

    Few photos I took this morning while in La Grande.

  4146. #4146mowingman2021-07-25 19:33

    They are doing auger mining, probably for coal. You can recover a lot of col this wy, when the stripping gets too deep. The company I worked for in the 80's, used this method to recover coal in Thurber, Tx. I may have been the last bituminous coal mine in north Texas. Jeff

  4147. #4147crane operator2021-07-25 19:46

    I kind of like chains and binders when I'm hauling counterweights, but to each their own. They at least have good taste in cranes.

  4148. #4148crane operator2021-07-25 19:49

    I just had a head replaced on a 12.7. We haven't put 200 miles on it since getting it back, and I've put 2 gallons of antifreeze in it. Its not in the pan, and I haven't seen it leaking out anywhere, so I'm guessing its going out the exhaust. Nice to know I'm not the only one.

  4149. #4149Truck Shop2021-07-25 21:11

    You can't see them in the photo-there are angle irons on the bed of that trailer to keep weights in place. It happens sometimes more often than not. Parts quality and careful block prep isn't what it once was.

  4150. #4150skyking12021-07-26 11:03

    you cage the maxis to tow like that, or push some air back there?

  4151. #4151Truck Shop2021-07-26 13:11

    I cage them on long tows-which is every tow, plus drop drive line.

  4152. #4152Truck Shop2021-07-27 18:51
  4153. #4153skyking12021-07-27 19:40

    This runaway ramp on Teton Pass highway coming up out of Jackson caught my eye. I realized the truck would have to cut through the uphill traffic to use it! https://goo.gl/maps/RD5ywCmYFLhL9yHp8

  4154. #4154kshansen2021-07-27 19:47

    Just wondered about her standing there for the video shoot?

  4155. #4155Truck Shop2021-07-27 19:55

    That's 10% grade .

  4156. #4156skyking12021-07-27 20:29

    I was driving up it when I saw that one. Yes that is wicked looking, I can't imagine it is much fun with weather.

  4157. #4157Truck Shop2021-07-28 21:24
  4158. #4158skyking12021-07-28 21:55

    I drive by this Mack every day without seeing it. The crane operator in me fixated on the cool crane next to it. Hell for stout PTO winch, two sticks What's not to like?

  4159. #4159Birken Vogt2021-07-28 22:50

    Is that a LPG (probably butane) tank on the side of that thing?

  4160. #4160DMiller2021-07-29 05:47

    Probably Coal Gas.

  4161. #4161DMiller2021-07-29 06:11

    Took me three days to get the WS I drive to tolerable as to Smoke Smell, cleaned it every day, dropped a few fabric softener sheets in pocketed areas in cab, is now only icky first thing of a Monday after cooking in the sun a weekend. I vacuumed that cab, washed the entire dash and steering wheel as had crusty dip and chew on multiple areas where previous goon coughed or sneezed with a mouth load, and he smoked and drank soda pop like a sponge, had sticky spillage everywhere. Nasty bastards. Were all manner of chip chunks and pieces of sammich or other assorted biologic warfare experiments in that cab. When worked the open garage and had to deal with honey Buckets was working on a shorted control wire and had to get under a seat in one, dug crap out from under as brown coated gloves, old socks(For whatever) and loaded with some kind of stuff, then I came across a baggie with a sandwich in it, looked unscathed where the driver lunged at that and stated 'So that is where it went ' where slipped under the seat back earlier in the day or maybe week and he went to chewing on it, I about tossed my lunch.

  4162. #4162colson042021-07-29 06:51

    Rent an ozone machine from a rental shop. It'll disinfect the cab and eliminate the odor. My father in law has used one for years on used car trades at his dealership. Whens he's done with the clean out and disinfecting, they all smell like new.

  4163. #416359 North2021-07-29 14:38

    Surprised that there weren't any sun flower seed shells on the floor to add to the mix!

  4164. #4164Labparamour2021-07-29 16:18

    Those blow out when Dave turns on the defroster!

  4165. #4165Truck Shop2021-07-29 18:21

    Sunflower shells-covered in dried saliva. Vacuum those up and dump them in the driver/operators pickup or car that put them there. Right along with the rest of his filth.

  4166. #4166Truck Shop2021-07-29 18:22
  4167. #4167Truck Shop2021-07-29 20:47
  4168. #4168Truck Shop2021-07-29 21:04

    Somewhere in Indiana.

  4169. #4169BSAA65LB2021-07-30 05:51
  4170. #4170DB22021-07-30 06:52

    Nice. What make of truck is that ?

  4171. #4171Truck Shop2021-07-30 07:17

    59 Ford 850.

  4172. #4172DB22021-07-30 08:45

    Thanks TS. Never saw that type of grill before.

  4173. #4173DMiller2021-07-30 16:37

    Seeing the Step fuel tank and NO stack is most likely Gas Engined. V8 477 or 534.

  4174. #4174Truck Shop2021-07-30 20:01

    And to be fair I can't really see the hood badge. It could also be one of these models also- T950-T1000-T1100. Usual was the 534 cu.in. with 5 x 4

  4175. #4175DMiller2021-07-31 12:23

    Agree TS, T or F1000 Grill matches this one

  4176. #4176Truck Shop2021-07-31 14:16

    F's were single axle.

  4177. #4177DMiller2021-07-31 18:55
  4178. #4178DMiller2021-07-31 19:05

    Did Ford drop the T when the next body line developed? Cannot remember any T series in the mid sixties cabs Thoele concrete in St Charles had two T series mixers both 900s with 477s IIRC were 58 models their next batch were Super Duty F850s in the next body style 1963. Those had 534s

  4179. #4179Truck Shop2021-07-31 20:14

    The body style/grille from 1958 to 1960. The actual use of Super Duty term started in 58 and 1960 in was on the front of the hood. Funny thing Ford did was the T700, 750 and 800 tandems were marked as off road and ford never put a GCW rating on those. In 59 Ford started installing shutters. The 1961 cab and nose was used for several years.

  4180. #4180BSAA65LB2021-08-01 08:41
  4181. #4181Truck Shop2021-08-01 12:52

    I think I posted that a ways back but still interesting. This is another Eisenhauer that never worked out-built for armed forces and Roadway only few made.

  4182. #4182skyking12021-08-01 14:04

    the distant daddy of the oilfield tri-drives

  4183. #4183Truck Shop2021-08-01 14:30
  4184. #4184Truck Shop2021-08-01 14:33
  4185. #4185skyking12021-08-01 16:31

    two V12 detroits, 150 tons capacity. The base truck started out as a 50 ton, and then trailer happened.

  4186. #4186Truck Shop2021-08-01 17:20

    Which turned out pretty worthless. The biggest mistake was the detroits.

  4187. #4187skyking12021-08-01 17:56

    Those long beds are a PITA to dump too.

  4188. #4188Truck Shop2021-08-02 18:54

    49 DeArco. Now that's a nice looking rig Dave, I know you would like to shoot it.

  4189. #4189mks2021-08-02 19:48

    Not in Kodachrome I’m guessing?

  4190. #4190skyking12021-08-02 20:19

    those kick steps remind me of climbing the dump barge in the Duwamish river. You would need a backpack to haul your crap up there. It would probably stay cleaner that way!!

  4191. #4191Truck Shop2021-08-02 20:41

    A fruit pickers dream, hang the ladders on the side with the pick'in bags. Sort of a split level condo rolling crap house.

  4192. #4192JPV2021-08-03 03:45

    Any details on the DeArco? What why when where? I have never heard of or seen a truck like that.

  4193. #4193Truck Shop2021-08-03 03:57

    It was a semi enclosed car hauler, Only one was made and it probably found a low overpass. Hatched in 1949.

  4194. #4194DMiller2021-08-03 04:15

    A great deal of oddball machines arrived on scene after WWII trying to utilize theories as to internal storage or use of limited materials. I am curious on that 58 Chev, just Why????

  4195. #4195Truck Shop2021-08-03 04:24

    Oh that 58 chevy that's the best thing to do with one of those. Those car's had a lard *** look to them. What it's missing is a modern name like Montana, Fuel or Cougar with all the fancy graphics and a trailer full of atv's

  4196. #4196BSAA65LB2021-08-03 09:11

    1929 Henderson

  4197. #4197Old Doug2021-08-03 09:58

    What did this emblem mean i thought it was on models that had 6 cylinders but i have saw this on alot of V8 models?

  4198. #4198mowingman2021-08-03 12:35

    You are right about the *** end of those. We used one for a demolition derby back in the early 70's. That big rearend was a real A$$et! Jeff

  4199. #4199Truck Shop2021-08-04 13:36
  4200. #4200Truck Shop2021-08-05 20:13
  4201. #4201DMiller2021-08-05 20:17

    Now there is a Beast, Farr Dynacell on Fender and Aspirator on exhaust to suck dust out. Planetaries, 24? inch tube types yet still has AC!!! A-CAR!

  4202. #4202Truck Shop2021-08-05 20:57

    Pete, You left out the water tank behind cab to cool brakes.

  4203. #4203DMiller2021-08-06 04:24

    Was wondering if Pete by cab, grill guard radiator threw me off. Forgot water tank, hell of a load on it.

  4204. #4204BSAA65LB2021-08-06 07:30
  4205. #4205Truck Shop2021-08-06 14:32

    The flags on the bumper look like the drivers dirty bath towels. With the headlight's plus road lights he must have liked moving after hours illegally, shy on permits

  4206. #4206DMiller2021-08-06 19:12

    Would hate to see cornering in that, tied to trailer neck is the mast. SCHWING Batter Batter UP!!!

  4207. #4207kshansen2021-08-06 19:24

    Maybe they have the swing brake off so the house can rotate when truck makes corners?

  4208. #4208skyking12021-08-06 20:01

    I look at those power lines in the background, and remember how close the old lines used to be. I'd want the whip ball out there where I could see it

  4209. #4209DMiller2021-08-06 21:03

    Cross tied tie downs mast to trailer neck, visible in photo.

  4210. #4210Old Doug2021-08-06 21:13

    Negatory on the extra lights running illegal loads after sundown you dont want any thing to draw attention to your self but make sure every thing works that should.

  4211. #4211Truck Shop2021-08-06 21:59

    Negatory?--In those days anything went as long as johnny law wasn't around. ICC permits were hard to get any other trucking company that had a permit in a area someone was trying to gain a permit in could contest. So there were hot loads moved all the time. As far as the lights, that old girl had a low output generator the standard headlights were like two candles about to go out. Standard equipment in those days notice the Pete at the top of this page.

  4212. #4212skyking12021-08-06 22:38

    sounds like the 310 at idle. two whopping 25 amp 24V generators. Idled around 625 and the ammeter would not show positive until you got it to 1000. One guy had one with the 50's, but no better on the pulley ratio so he turned up the idle. Made things really interesting on a shorter runway. Screw that!

  4213. #4213Birken Vogt2021-08-07 00:45

    That brings up something I have been meaning to bring up for you more experienced truckers and mechanics. Idle speed. What was it commonly set at on these old trucks? If my recollection is correct it might be as low as 400-500. I always liked a lower idle. Made maneuvering easier it seemed.

  4214. #4214DMiller2021-08-07 06:20

    IIRC around 500-550, low and slow,

  4215. #4215Truck Shop2021-08-07 07:28

    Factory set Cummins PT pumps were 575 to 680, but many were set at 525 range with manual steering. With Vickers power steering pumps to operate with enough flow/psi 625 to 650 was normal. Same with engine oil pressure-dropping the rpm a hundred rpm at idle could really change engine oil pressure when hot as much as 8 psi on a low mile engine. Which in some cases mechanics failed to check when low psi was a complaint.

  4216. #4216Old Doug2021-08-07 07:59

    I heared storys of getting stopped for no permits and other thing and haveing to spend a night in jail. I live less than a hour from Iowa they ether dont like MO people or are more strict. I dont remember just how it went but Dad went to jail over towing a truck with a chain.

  4217. #4217Truck Shop2021-08-08 13:25

    Back in the days of the drom.

  4218. #4218skyking12021-08-08 16:02

    The mover I did that one run for had a tractor with a drom.

  4219. #4219Truck Shop2021-08-08 16:08

    What I like about that PIE Pete is it still has a corn cobb signal {semaphore} hanging on the side of the cab.

  4220. #4220Truck Shop2021-08-10 21:08
  4221. #4221petepilot2021-08-11 00:03

    is that the original roadrailer?

  4222. #4222Truck Shop2021-08-11 00:21

    Yup-early days OTR high cube roadrailer.

  4223. #4223Truck Shop2021-08-11 20:28

    Isn't this just a **** cutter-steering wheel is on the correct side too.

  4224. #4224kshansen2021-08-12 08:15

    And why waste money on having two windshield wipers. And probably no brake on that single front wheel!

  4225. #4225Truck Shop2021-08-12 18:48
  4226. #4226Old Doug2021-08-12 18:56

    I wonder if he had a permit.

  4227. #4227Truck Shop2021-08-12 19:22

    Why sure he did, it's sticking out of his right hip pocket.

  4228. #4228Truck Shop2021-08-12 21:18

    Jacobs Industries-maker of the drill chuck---and the Jacobs Engine Brake. For those who didn't know

  4229. #4229BSAA65LB2021-08-13 07:53
  4230. #4230Truck Shop2021-08-13 20:07

    Hyw 99 south of Bakersfield.

  4231. #4231Truck Shop2021-08-13 20:09
  4232. #4232Truck Shop2021-08-13 21:29

    I have to repost this with Streets of Bakersfield.

  4233. #4233mks2021-08-14 00:21

    This thread is quite the collection of pictures and history. Well done. Is that you on 99 south of Bakersfield?

  4234. #4234Truck Shop2021-08-14 07:28

    No that's not me.

  4235. #4235DMiller2021-08-14 10:10

    Can almost see the air in that RFI Drive tire!! RRO is not much better, oh back in those days what could be gotten away with!!!

  4236. #4236DMiller2021-08-14 10:18

    Leaving the Clay Pile/company that refines it saw a KW Needle Nose on a trailer headed East, Diamond pattern Mercury box sleeper like TS has shown. Truck was all Orange ,sleeper unpainted, torsion ride heads sticking out the rear and as I only got a quick look may have had Aluminum Rails by thickness.

  4237. #4237kshansen2021-08-14 10:22

    And as I was told Mr. Cummings invented it and tried getting the company that had his name make them and he was turned down. Note down in the lower right corner the "Clessie L. Cummins Division"

  4238. #4238Truck Shop2021-08-14 10:53

    And your correct, that's the history.

  4239. #4239kshansen2021-08-14 18:34

    Do I get a Gold star for History today?

  4240. #4240Truck Shop2021-08-14 19:47

    Fresh out of gold stars-how about a balloon and a chocolate chip cookie will that work?

  4241. #4241Truck Shop2021-08-14 21:02

    If any members on here see this truck call the law-It was stolen today from a truck show in Red Bluff, Cal.-1956 Pete. Who ever stole it had to be able to run a set of sticks. Unbelievable what people will do or can happen.

  4242. #4242Truck Shop2021-08-14 21:46

    Anyone interested in a real large car this 1953 International West Coaster is for sale. Very straight and complete was used in harvest for years. kept under cover 20' steel bed with hoist and grain racks. 220 Cummins with 5 X 4. Asking $18,000, bed and hoist is worth $10.000.

  4243. #4243DMiller2021-08-15 05:44

    Is shameful some feel a need to steal others prime machines. Nice old corn queen, no Minn Mags though!!

  4244. #4244Truck Shop2021-08-15 07:31

    West Coast IH's from that era are rare, especially a unrestored one in that good of condition. The original long hood.

  4245. #4245Truck Shop2021-08-15 07:38

    Stolen 56 Pete was found abandoned, good for J. Hill owner.

  4246. #4246skyking12021-08-15 09:08

    I hope it didn't get damaged.

  4247. #4247Old Doug2021-08-15 10:37

    Is there a market for beds there there scrap iron here. I could have bought 3 running c70 with very good beds for $2000.00 a truck.

  4248. #4248skyking12021-08-15 11:38

    If I had a farm to license it to, I'd be down for a truck like that. My first encounter with a 220 was in a sunken tugboat I helped recover in 1980.

  4249. #4249Truck Shop2021-08-15 12:02

    A little break from the heat-photo was taken in BC.

  4250. #4250DMiller2021-08-15 13:48

    I do remember days as that at Eagle Division

  4251. #4251Truck Shop2021-08-15 18:59

    A REO cabover that was rarely seen, not a lot produced.

  4252. #4252Truck Shop2021-08-15 19:01

    I-84 Multnomah Falls, Ore. 1976 Freightliner calendar.

  4253. #4253DB22021-08-15 23:03

    Don’t remember ever seeing a cabover like the one on the right. Thanks for sharing TS.

  4254. #4254Truck Shop2021-08-16 07:36

    Those were called Powerliners- The big grille/radiator opening was for big horse power engines. KTA600, 12V71.

  4255. #4255DMiller2021-08-16 17:34

    I only ever saw two Unlike the IH CO4090 I never saw any Very rare machines

  4256. #4256Truck Shop2021-08-16 17:45

    Lilly Miller ran several Powerliners I've maybe seen 25 through the years.

  4257. #4257Truck Shop2021-08-16 19:27

    IH 4090 with 12V71, 13spd, SSHD's on beam biscuit. Took this photo 5 years ago, it's been bought since then.

  4258. #4258Truck Shop2021-08-16 19:35
  4259. #4259DMiller2021-08-16 20:17

    True beast of a machines TS Beastly weather in that last view, chains at all positions.

  4260. #4260Pony2021-08-17 03:53

    12V71 What sort of hp in that truck? Google mentions the motor in various configurations 350-450hp, would that be about right? All revs and no torque? I've never even seen a 2 stroke up close much less driven one. Would be nice to try it, for a short time at least

  4261. #4261DMiller2021-08-17 05:31

    Detroit 71 series worked strictly on HP, for torque need mass in motion which these engines did not really have, 92 series were a torque improvement but not much. 71 Series were Dry Sleeve 92 Series wet sleeve so cooling inefficiencies were reduced but not eliminated. Two stroke engines are only able to perform 'On the Pipe' so to speak or at RPM. Owned a 92 series, have worked on nearly every variation of a theme on Detroit from 53 series to 110s to the 645 series EMDs. ALL worked on the same premise of RPM to make HP, wind them tight and let them squall.

  4262. #426256wrench2021-08-17 10:29

    Beastly weather? Whadda ya mean? It looks like a nice sunny day

  4263. #426356wrench2021-08-17 10:40

    The 53's and 71's had about a 200rpm powerband and the 92's about 300rpm if i recall. Which i mean lug it only about 200rpm before you grab another gear. Just the nature of the beasts

  4264. #4264skyking12021-08-17 11:37

    I never had the experience of having to drive one. they were in pumps and rollers and on a dredge, we had an 8v92t. Gen sets things like that.

  4265. #4265DMiller2021-08-17 18:26

    92s would torque down closer to 500 rpm from governed top end, still not great as to that torque but could generate enough.

  4266. #4266BSAA65LB2021-08-18 06:01
  4267. #4267Old Doug2021-08-18 10:20

    I have a Freightshaker with a 6v92 i would sell cheap if you want to get some first hand.

  4268. #4268skyking12021-08-18 11:16

    I'm sure you would and it would cost me more to get it home than it would to buy it. that's the way it is with most of the cool stuff here and so far away.

  4269. #4269Truck Shop2021-08-18 18:00

    Detroit's- ---On any grade with a 8V71 you didn't wait, when rpm dropped to 1850 you slammed a lower gear and brought it back in at 2200 or better with foot nailed. 92's needed to stay at 2000 minim. 12V71 the same thing as 8V71.

  4270. #4270Truck Shop2021-08-18 18:09

    The Paymaster-I have only seen one on I-5 Portland in the 70's. Only {and on best count because records are thin} 15 or so were built. Designed by Dean Hobbensiefke of Lyons Ore, first prototype 1971. Hendrickson was licensed and built 10 to 12 for Ryder around 1974. Then another prototype built in 1978. And 2 more built in 1980. Power-6-71, 8V71 and I guess not for sure a few with Cummins.

  4271. #427156wrench2021-08-19 09:21

    Round off some of the sharp edges and those trucks would resemble the latest slippery concept trucks of today

  4272. #4272Old Doug2021-08-19 09:25

    I am looking for a pickup and a trailer i have found several that are to far away. Why would a company want to have there own trucks built from scratch i can understand back years ago but doing this after 1970 seems like a wast of money?

  4273. #4273skyking12021-08-19 10:13

    They look rather bug like. I see a grasshopper face there

  4274. #4274Truck Shop2021-08-19 12:33

    That's the way things were done years back. I'm sure there were a few ideas the manufactures stole from his design.

  4275. #4275Truck Shop2021-08-19 13:54
  4276. #4276DMiller2021-08-19 17:34

    Was thinking on MY history after reading some of the thoughts here, First job as a Mechanic, Midwestern Distribution FT Scott KS. FLT COE Frt Shakers, 318 Detroits or 290 Cummins, ALL 10 sped SQHD Rockwells, Frt Lnr four spring NO Johny Bar under the Steer Wheel, Armstrong Gemmer Steering, 24.5 rubber on Budds. Our Yard Beast a WFT, our wrecker a 1956 Diamond T with Red Diamond GAS Engine. The Diamond was just at 20 years old, the WFT was around ten IIRC both were already antiquated, my 22 year old SD Ford is not as bad antiquated where new ones still reflect that same body style but controls are obsoleting. My 2005 KW is also looking as that. Much of what I have as a work history would be considered FAR and AWAY antiques now, B series or R series Bulldogs, Diamonds (T& REO), Whites, Freightliners, Ford F, N & L Series and C Series Lo Cab Forward Oddballs as R series Corn Queens Fleetstars, Loadstars, Cargostars and Transtars, all so far out of date as to date myself. Euc dump trucks OLDER than myself, engines that pre-dated me by another 15-20 years. Few mechanics today have to square up Minnesota mags and those that do have been around where those that won't do not understand them. Saw Wind Tunnel testing of all the Garbage extra weight Aerodynamic Horse Hockey on trucks back in the 1970s, McDonnell Aircraft set their local STL Wind Tunnel up to see what good would come of all the bolt on ****, NADA, NOTHING, ZILCH. To get the wind to 'Flow' across the machines where could smoke test without massive amounts of turbulent flows in under and around the prototypes the breeze had to be OVER 150mph, Anything less and there was ZERO attainable changes to basic air flow as all was turbulent except on the rolling Concrete Blocks(COE Units) where that was just insane looking!! Feld Truck leasing supplied the Models To Scale and set up so could add or remove fairings or shields or deflectors as needed. Best overall, simple shield above the cabs, NOTHING Underframe ever did squat and tail fairings changed so little as to be stupid.

  4277. #4277renovator2021-08-19 19:52

    This reminds me of the old joke: To drive a truck with at Detroit the way it's meant to be driven, you've got to slam your hand in the door first thing.

  4278. #4278BSAA65LB2021-08-19 20:12
  4279. #4279skyking12021-08-19 20:19

    OK now THAT is a cool Mack!

  4280. #4280Truck Shop2021-08-19 20:30

    Me-Gas engines like 391, 477, 534 ford-392, 549 blue and red diamond. Diesel engines 220, 250, 335, 350 small cams, All of the big cam engines, plus the KTA series, Cat 1673, 1693, all A, B, C 3406 and C15 plus 3408, Detroit most of the two strokes plus Series 60 and DD15. IH DT466. Only a sorted bunch of Mack engines. Most all American and Foreign makes. Gearboxes Eaton, Spicer and sorry to say Rockwell. Rear ends Eaton and Rockwell. Worked all those models above at one time or another. Any of the Ford and IH gassers were hard on cylinder wear and pretty much mutts. The Detroit's were really nothing to rave about, low on hp and torque, filthy and took up too much room as any V engine does. good in a boat. Cummins-they couldn't leave well enough alone, too many changes and Cpl's that made little or no difference in performance. The VT 475 Hp 855 was a prime example of stupid stuff. Piled twin turbos and went to variable cam timing to try for more hp and lower emissions. Those engines would produce 50 lbs boost-the 855 was not designed for that, crank bearings wore and cylinder heads and block couldn't take the stress of the high boost. Not even going to discuss two strokes-that engine does not like rpm changes, not meant for highway use-ok stationary or boat. Cat-only engine they built that didn't belong in a truck was the 3408 too damn big setting in the rails and weighed too much. The only way aerodynamics work is the trailer has to sucked right up to back of cab, otherwise a waste of time. Trailer foils are totally worthless.

  4281. #4281Truck Shop2021-08-19 20:31

    Like mine it's just another mack.

  4282. #4282skyking12021-08-19 20:41

    Yours is a beauty, That is an offroad beastie and I'm a dirt guy. We had one each of the -92s, a ford 292 with that toasty hot crossover and Pee Poor oiling with the added kit for the rocker shafts, and a cornbinder 392.

  4283. #4283Truck Shop2021-08-19 20:49

    Whipple engine rotator, starter.UK-I can just see that joint coming loose and blood spilling.

  4284. #4284DMiller2021-08-19 21:00

    the correct quote is walk calmly to the machine of choice, open door, insert hand into door frame opening, slam door three times or draw blood, now ready to drive a Detroit.

  4285. #4285Truck Shop2021-08-19 21:01

    Can you imagine driving this hemorrhoid maker, two story turd. Why bother.

  4286. #4286Truck Shop2021-08-19 21:05

    Ain't that the truth-foot to the wood.

  4287. #4287DMiller2021-08-19 21:09

    Astros and Titans GMs gift to mechanic job security.

  4288. #4288Truck Shop2021-08-19 21:18

    I remember the first Astro-George Jettson truck I put dash valves in. GM must have hired someone with a file to sharpen all the metal edges in that dash, I had more cuts and nicks on my hands, great ad for band aids.

  4289. #4289petepilot2021-08-19 23:56

    to damned sorry to sharpen their shear blades

  4290. #4290Old Doug2021-08-20 09:17

    What about when they left one in gear you know this had to happen.

  4291. #4291skyking12021-08-20 10:18

    I think that's where the broken u-joint is happening in truck stops imagination!

  4292. #4292Truck Shop2021-08-23 21:19
  4293. #4293Birken Vogt2021-08-23 22:26

    So what is a Fuller 15-G-1120 compared to a modern transmission?

  4294. #4294DMiller2021-08-24 04:01

    Single countershaft marriage box

  4295. #4295Truck Shop2021-08-24 19:08
  4296. #4296JPV2021-08-24 19:49

    I remember seeing that Mighty Mite at a truck show in Portland when I was a kid 30 years ago, I remember it was the coolest thing I had ever seen in my life! I wonder where it is now.

  4297. #4297skyking12021-08-24 20:03

    who did they get to drive that thing?

  4298. #4298Truck Shop2021-08-24 20:18
  4299. #4299525isx2021-08-24 21:30

    I saw it at the Tacoma mall when I was young

  4300. #4300Truck Shop2021-08-27 01:44

    1915.

  4301. #4301mowingman2021-08-27 13:25

    Going through old slides and found these photos I took in 1988. They are photos of Staffen Trucking, Tonawanda, NY. They had old Macks, Autocars, and Brockways on their lot. It looked like they were only running a couple of them by that time. Jeff

  4302. #4302mowingman2021-08-27 13:29

    Sorry I can not get these photos to show up full size on here for some reason. you have to click on each photo.

  4303. #4303Truck Shop2021-08-27 21:10

    Thanks for sharing!

  4304. #4304Coaldust2021-08-28 00:44

    This is a cool old rig that is still on the job used in production work. 1946 Sanderson-Cyclone rotary drill. Originally used in the Oklahoma oil patch. Serial # 70-23. Of course, it has been heavily modified. The chassis engine originally ran the drill deck equipment with an assortment of drive lines and gear boxes. The chassis is powered by a Detroit 6-71. The unit is “road legal”. As per Alaska standards. Just avoid the scales. Now, it has a John Deere engine that powers a hydraulic system. The air compressor has been removed from the deck. Another rig supplies air and water. Very well maintained and loved by the family that works it.

  4305. #4305Truck Shop2021-08-28 07:29
  4306. #4306BSAA65LB2021-08-28 08:35
  4307. #4307Birken Vogt2021-08-28 09:22

    What does that mean "exhaust driven positive displacement"? From what I can tell they are referring to what would now be called a standard turbo which are of course centrifugal. I would think positive displacement would be like a Roots type Detroit blower but of course those are engine driven.

  4308. #430856wrench2021-08-28 10:47

    I think it was a typo. It should have read positive displacement type "or" exhaust driven turbocharger

  4309. #4309DMiller2021-08-28 12:15

    Am thinking was paraphrasing and missed a comma or ‘and’. PDP roots type ‘Superchargers’ were a schwitzer offer as were turbos back in the day.

  4310. #4310terex herder2021-08-28 12:26

    Truck shop, this Macks for you. HCE A Big Dig, Concordia kansas.

  4311. #4311Truck Shop2021-08-28 20:35

    Nice Photos TH!

  4312. #4312Truck Shop2021-08-28 20:36

    G-man looking for pappy's brew.

  4313. #4313Truck Shop2021-08-29 15:43

    Finally found out who bought this 4090 that sat east of here for years. Lemmon Trucking-Longview Wa. Was at Brooks Or. truck show.

  4314. #4314DMiller2021-08-29 15:47

    So IS Running just not fixed up yet. So despised changing radiators in the 4070s or dealing with anything under the half tilt cabs, I take it these only tilted 45 as well?

  4315. #4315Truck Shop2021-08-29 15:57

    Correct.---I knew that 12 would run, owner just parked it and plies of scrap for a third of a mile over a buried water line that he was in a feud over with the county. He is one of those that doesn't believe in or doesn't pay his tax. He only has x amount of time to clean up the property before it's condemned. Lemmon's had pay $10,000 for that 4090 the owner wouldn't budge I know that for a fact.

  4316. #4316BSAA65LB2021-08-30 20:08
  4317. #4317Truck Shop2021-09-01 13:49
  4318. #4318Truck Shop2021-09-04 11:47
  4319. #4319Tugger22021-09-04 13:02

    Thats a beast on the lowbed . I wish i could move my Lima like that today. Is the bicycle wheel on the side of the tractor for counting miles? The first picture reminds me of the tunnel hull boat races in Nanaimo, we used to all pitch in with our cranes for launching and setting up docks and breakwaters for the course. Never see that kind of volunteer stuff today

  4320. #4320Truck Shop2021-09-04 13:44

    Mile counter-I think the hydroplane photo was taken on Lake Washington it looks like the west channel bridge/floating bridge I-90 Seattle.

  4321. #4321Jumbo2021-09-04 17:45

    The time frame for the hydros is 1954 or 1955. Hull number U45, Miss Cadillac only ran those two years. The bridge is the Lacy V. Murrow bridge which sank Thanksgiving Day 1990. At the time, the highway was US 10. I 90 was just a dream in those years.

  4322. #4322Truck Shop2021-09-05 21:51

    Old Spicer ad. Not Old Spice.

  4323. #4323Jumbo2021-09-05 22:21

    Let me expose my ignorance: The plate appears to be a Massachusetts license plate, so that is US. I have seen very few if any tri-drives here in the US. I've seen lots in Canada, but the few here are/were usually attached to a lowboy. Somebody out there can and should educate me. I always try to stay West of the Rockies personally...

  4324. #4324Truck Shop2021-09-06 07:33

    In the 60's FWD, Diamond REO built tri-drive mixers and other rigs for vocational use. Most in the Rust Belt- I have a book showing several different configurations including quad drive.

  4325. #4325DMiller2021-09-06 07:57

    Were used in STL during the 1960s as can remember them on the site for the Arch, Westlake Construction was a First Use of Autocar Tri Drive mixers and a first use of Live Drive Hydraulics off the crankshaft nose. Those old wrecks were abandoned in one old quarry I frequently had to enter in W STL County.

  4326. #4326Jumbo2021-09-06 11:51

    Thanks, I didn't expect it to take too long to get educated and just like clockwork, here is the information.

  4327. #4327Truck Shop2021-09-06 17:33

    Some FWD'S.

  4328. #4328DMiller2021-09-06 17:42

    Can already tell, Double Breasted Yamahas!!! Look to be 10-12 yard drums Old Dodge cabs were tiny even in comparison to the rest of the truck!!! 75 or 76 Pontiac GP in background.

  4329. #4329DMiller2021-09-06 17:53

    Side note, March 1980, went to TMC Transit Mixer Company(McNeilus) distributor, picking up Mixer parts for a CdA quarry, rolled in and they set some weird cribbing on the flatbed, get to back under a yard gantry and they set two Drums on the cribbing, said NO Chains just straps, NO Scars and do NOT bend them. Drove that from SLC stopping around every fifty to a hundred miles to realign and reset the Eggs tied to the 2x4 I was dragging. No matter how set the winches and straps these damned things(NO Frames) walked all around on the Cribbing, SUCKED!!!

  4330. #4330Truck Shop2021-09-06 19:13

    On another forum it's funny how one BS story feeds another until it becomes gospel of sorts years later. Below is a Freightliner Powerliner which had a choice of Cummins KT series up to 600 hp or Detroit 12V71 with 435 hp. The BS builds to the point of factory 12V71's with 525 hp. and one was factory special built with a 12V92 at some 790 hp. And this special trucking company was the one to test it because they knew how to handle big power. In the 70's the engine companies did their own testing first off and have ever since because the engines were fitted with every diagnostic piece available at the time. The other problem is there were no gear boxes at the time that could handle that kind of torque and horse power right along with the fact there was no clutch that would withstand that kind of torque. Rear drive axles were another problem. The KT Cummins was only producing 1550 torque. Crap-a lowly 475 hp E Model Cat 3406 would produce 1850. A friend of mine long dead worked for Emerson Diesel Seattle and Alaska he worked on the Powerliner below, he had photos of it and several other V12 powered trucks at the time. The most he ever saw on a factory 12 on the dyno was 460 hp.----BS stories.

  4331. #4331skyking12021-09-06 19:20

    pretty much everything you said above plus advice from folks here has completely turned me away from the idea of turning up the 3406. Years ago on my first go-around here I asked around and toyed with the idea. You mess with one part and then another becomes vulnerable. It all became moot when I set my last work day too

  4332. #4332Truck Shop2021-09-06 20:27
  4333. #4333DMiller2021-09-07 04:18

    Did not realize they moved cab pivot point up as well increased cooling and grill dimensions on the powerliners. Guess needed more momentum for knocking windshields out as cab crossed 45 degrees and jack or cylinders failed!!

  4334. #4334DMiller2021-09-07 05:00

    Actually saw a 362 Pete(Day Cab non sleeper) still running on the interstate the other day, had a 48' refrigerated van behind it, looked so out of place. Could not have had a 140" wb, super tight drives to back of possibly 80 gallon fuel tanks.

  4335. #4335Truck Shop2021-09-14 19:18

    https://kpr.craigslist.org/hvo/d/college-place-1960-b75-mack-show-truck/7380394303.html

  4336. #4336Truck Shop2021-09-15 19:07

    In a few weeks there's a possibility-it will have a new home in New Hampshire.

  4337. #4337DMiller2021-09-15 19:30

    That was quick!!

  4338. #4338mks2021-09-16 00:18

    Seems to be a rather lot of truck for the money.

  4339. #4339Truck Shop2021-09-16 01:54

    Not really when taken into consideration I built it from a pile of junk and obsolete antique reconstituted parts from a era that's not practical anymore.

  4340. #434056wrench2021-09-16 09:27

    Doesn't seem like enough $ for all your time and effort

  4341. #4341Truck Shop2021-09-16 11:35

    I started that challenge knowing full well that the time I spent was not going to be a profit. I built it because I wanted the challenge and knew it would be my last plus it had never been done before with that type of truck or vehicle, sure some ask why? If I never spent the time and energy latter on I would wish I had in my last years. There are some things in life a person feels they just have to do and this was mine. I proved to myself my ability was not gone in the last years of my life as a mechanic. I'm proud I did it. What ever happens to it after it's gone is out of my hands. I know what I achieved, not everybody could single handedly done what I did. My plus mark on on my career.

  4342. #4342kshansen2021-09-16 11:45

    I think of you doing this project is the same as one choosing to climb a mountain, run a marathon, or other such endeavors. Some do things to prove to others they can do something and then others do them to prove to themselves they can do something. Or maybe a little of each? Then there are those who just like taking something that most would send to the scrap yard and make it in to something.

  4343. #4343skyking12021-09-16 13:12

    There's even more to it than that Mike. you were doing something you really enjoy and I don't think there's a price to put on that. There is just no point in trying to define everything by profit. I have a custom wood bed that I built on my 96 two-wheel drive Dodge Cummins truck. I'm selling the truck and I don't care what happens to the bed. it doesn't fit anything that I have, it's not practical to modify, and most importantly I really enjoyed building it. My dad and I built a 24-ft trawler with a little 3-cylinder diesel in it back in the '80s. he got to live his dream for a couple of years before his heart attack. I could have kept that boat and it would have just been a shrine to him and a real anchor for me. instead I found somebody who wanted it and sold it to him at a good price. We had a great time building it there are lots of memories. It sure wasn't about the money.

  4344. #4344Truck Shop2021-09-16 15:46

    Thanks.

  4345. #4345kshansen2021-09-16 19:58

    Just remember if that Mack does end up heading to New England and is passing through Upstate NY I'll buy a meal for who ever is driving or hauling it if I can get a first hand look at it!

  4346. #4346Truck Shop2021-09-16 20:01

    It sold today. Joseph Equipment in Manchester New Hampshire bought it to go in a building with a collection of Macks, Brockways and other rigs Brian owns. He said it will never see rain.

  4347. #4347Truck Shop2021-09-16 20:07

    KS I will see what I can do-but can't promise anything.

  4348. #4348skyking12021-09-16 20:12

    Wow, Mike. I don't think it gets better than that!

  4349. #4349Truck Shop2021-09-16 21:18

    I posted it sold on aths facebook you would have thought a bomb exploded, guessing who bought it.

  4350. #4350Truck Shop2021-09-17 20:48

    Prototype powered by a 12 cylinder Deutz.

  4351. #4351Truck Shop2021-09-18 21:47

    Catlow heavy movers years ago based in eastern Washington {Spokane}. Second photo is just south of Vernita Ferry on 240 Columbia River.

  4352. #4352BSAA65LB2021-09-19 09:14
  4353. #4353kshansen2021-09-19 09:42

    Interesting, wonder what that bicycle wheel arrangement is for by the muffler on the right side?

  4354. #4354crane operator2021-09-19 11:37

    Probably had to pay by the mile for their oversize load. Early e-log. Bureaucracy is nothing new

  4355. #4355mekanik2021-09-19 11:48

    40 years ago I was working as a mechanic in a truck dealership. I was given the job of installing a Jake Brake on a Cummins NH220. The engine was in a old 1960s tow truck that looked like a Hayes. The owner corrected me and said it was not a Hayes but a "something" Crane Mover or something like that. The cab and rad and hood were obviously built by Hayes. It had an amazing amount of chrome on it. The dash panel was chrome and the gear shift levers. As I remember there was a lot of chrome in the cab. Does anyone here remember a truck company called ____Crane Mover?

  4356. #4356HATCHEQUIP2021-09-19 12:18

    You sure it wasnt CCC crane carrier corp.

  4357. #4357Truck Shop2021-09-19 12:30

    Although Crane Carrier wasn't known for chrome-you had two choices white and black or black and white-take your pick.

  4358. #4358Truck Shop2021-09-19 12:45

    Speedometers were not all that accurate back then, engine company's would use a mileage counter also hooked to a graph to check engine performance more accurately. It was fairly common for engine manufactures to test with real time/in the field conditions years ago. Today's world the passenger side of cab is filled with a total onboard read out. In the early 90's I worked on a 1981 W900 KW that was originally used as a test truck at the KW Arlington Wa. test track facility. The passenger floor was equipped mounts and some of the test leads were still in the dash. That test track is a high bank oval .

  4359. #4359Truck Shop2021-09-19 13:25

    1937.

  4360. #4360Truck Shop2021-09-20 07:39

    That photo above depicts so much about those times in America. People today don't know what they have and how lucky they are. I can't help but feel sad for him, at least he has two friends in the old cat and that rough puppy.

  4361. #436156wrench2021-09-20 09:21

    Not only America, but a large part of the world

  4362. #4362kshansen2021-09-20 12:05

    Well the IR Drill rigs we had at the quarry were yellow CCC's

  4363. #4363Truck Shop2021-09-20 13:55

    CCC got a cut rate 55 gal drum of yellow.

  4364. #4364mekanik2021-09-21 18:59

    This is from Pine Falls Manitoba. Rod Schuetze was my Grand dad.

  4365. #4365DMiller2021-09-21 19:09

    And a Screamin Demon Euc at the Head!!

  4366. #4366Birken Vogt2021-09-22 00:28

    I just saw an unusual sight. A Ford C-series cabover with a small reefer box in Auburn, CA. It has to have a gas engine because no diesel that came or fit in it could be used in this state in 2021 due to regulations. The box was painted up real nicely with graphics and such. The cab was plain white, could not tell the condition of the paint as it passed by. This has to be a relatively recent build based on what I saw. They must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel to put one of those back on the road.

  4367. #4367Truck Shop2021-09-23 20:30

    Below is a 1950 Fruit Can-The asking price is $8,000-that's how stupid the market has gotten for old trucks. It's $2,000 max value, it doesn't matter what there asking that's the max, and realistically $1,400. Restored $30 to $40,000.

  4368. #4368petepilot2021-09-23 20:38

    amazing must be all flat ground

  4369. #4369DB22021-09-23 22:56

    Definitely all flat here in the prairies. My dad ran a TinyD9 with a bunch of sleighs in the same province. Used to jog along side to keep warm. Crazy how things have changed.

  4370. #4370BSAA65LB2021-09-25 08:08
  4371. #4371Truck Shop2021-09-26 17:33

    Might have to make this my next. https://eastoregon.craigslist.org/hvo/d/crane-1973-diamond-rio/7381927783.html

  4372. #4372JPV2021-09-26 17:36

    I would be surprised if a man of your caliber quit after that last one...

  4373. #4373DMiller2021-09-26 18:28

    Cab sound? Have that old Thick Hood?

  4374. #4374Truck Shop2021-09-26 19:23

    Crane, Or is about as dry a climate there is-25 miles southwest of Burns, Or.

  4375. #4375DMiller2021-09-26 19:38

    Old Kelowna should be solid then. Be a Easy one to Upgrade and update, Cummins, Mechanical, twin stick for Showin Off!! Be a hell of a Nice Road Tractor with a Aeroliner on it!!

  4376. #4376mks2021-09-26 19:52

    Sounds like a meet in the middle idea

  4377. #4377DMiller2021-09-26 20:01

    Looked closer on photos, that has Aluminum Rails!!!

  4378. #4378Truck Shop2021-09-26 20:50

    As long as there not rotten there ok, my 66 pete had aluminum rails.

  4379. #4379DB22021-09-26 21:51

    Sure looks like an early Star !

  4380. #4380DMiller2021-09-26 22:18

    I liked aluminum rails if kept up were not bad Just noted them and being dry should be good.

  4381. #4381crane operator2021-09-26 22:38

    Already set up with a cummins. If you're just driving around with it, that non aftercooled would be fine for a show truck. Old trucks in my area are into the stratosphere for price. They actually have that one priced in the realm of possibility. There's a lot of totally trashed trucks by me that are priced at $10-15,000- just because they are old. Cabovers, clapped out internationals and freightliners, you name it and people are dragging them out of the weeds and pricing them for big bucks (to me anyways).

  4382. #4382colson042021-09-26 23:07

    How much to ship that cross country?

  4383. #4383Truck Shop2021-09-27 00:32

    $7500.00---2,900 miles.

  4384. #4384Truck Shop2021-09-27 01:03

    I agree with everything you said. The problem is these people don't have a clue what it takes to build a truck like I built-but then again it's not anywhere close to anything attempted by 99% of interested people. I was interested in these critters years and years before the craze hit. The Xer's went from dodge pickup diesels to antique semi's and have created a artificial market driving people like me out. The big craze at the moment is anything with a 12V71-Sorry folks but those just weren't that much of a Hot Dog. Never came turbo'ed 440 hp was it, the real power house at the time was the KTA 600 hp Cummins but it weighed too much, even the 3408 Cat only produced 450 in on highway version. What I'm seeing is the same thing boomers did to muscle cars, only this fad will effect the parts market for older trucks being used every day. And it already has. Really- probably what I will do is start building some 475 to 500 hp 855 Cummins that will run and last. I have the Correct Cummins CPL's and personal research to build reliable higher horse power Cummins 855 mechanical engines.

  4385. #4385DMiller2021-09-27 05:49

    Right at $2.60/mile

  4386. #438656wrench2021-09-27 10:37

    The going price for older petes and kw around here is stupid. Beat to hell, cabs shot, etc,etc. Other makes are reasonably priced. Basically, guys are buying the name. I don't get it. Must be an ego thing

  4387. #4387crane operator2021-09-27 11:18

    This pete is by me for sale. 1979 359 with a 3408. Its double framed, and looks pretty straight. $80,000. And its owned by a cattle hauler right now, so you know its been loaded heavy and run hard. I'd hate to know the costs with keeping a 3408 running. I bet the heads and such are getting kind of scarce.

  4388. #4388Truck Shop2021-09-27 12:49

    The 3408 could be a reliable engine left in stock form-but so many were jacked which caused a number of issues like-broken cranks. $50,000 to do a proper complete rebuild. The engine really isn't cost effective. Mileage was never very good, Gayle my old partner in the shop had three Pete's powered by 3408's. When the 1985 Extnd hood he had lost the third set of heads out it came and he transplanted a 550 6TS 3406 1998 engine in it. Gayle said {it would flat walk all over his 3408's and burn way less fuel} with way less steer axle weight. That truck above in it's present state is a money pit.

  4389. #4389crane operator2021-09-27 17:55

    Here's another one. its a 1985 359, cat 3406 but it needs rebuilt "if you plan on running it" (because I'm buying a truck and fixing it all and don't plan on running it? ) Its been stretched, looks like just at the rear between the tandems, because everyone wants that super long wheelbase. He's wanting 14,500 and I guess I just don't see how its worth that. Its got a engine that needs rebuilt, its been poorly stretched. He "just doesn't have time" - more like he's discovered exactly how much more there is to be done- and how much expertise and $$$ that's going to require. It just seems like a expensive starting point to me. The following is quoted from the ad : *price drop* 1985 Peterbilt 359 ex hd project for sale. Freightliner cut off, 285” wheelbase done by me. It is double framed passed stretch-point and all unnecessary holes in frame filled and ground smooth . 36” bunk, 9 speed, running bmodel that will need overhauled if you plan on running it and double square 359 headlights. Hood is in good shape just didn’t have it on in the pictures. Don’t have time to finish it like I want. $14,500 obo or may entertain trades. Located in mineral point, mo.

  4390. #4390crane operator2021-09-27 17:58

    Or this one, a old mack coe. But the cancer has been at it pretty hard. How is what's left worth $4,500?

  4391. #4391skyking12021-09-27 18:15

    That's a really cool project, damn shame it is so rotted out. The horns alone add 120 WHP and 300 ft/lb of torque.

  4392. #4392Truck Shop2021-09-27 18:17

    The pete---why would anyone put Airliner suspension under a pete when there is pete low-air suspension laying everywhere? 36" sleeper is worthless. It's only saving grace is I see the exhaust is run outside of frame from turbo-that means it should have a oil driven retarder. But he doesn't note that. The Mack is total scrap-by the ton price.

  4393. #4393skyking12021-09-27 18:19

    yes the mack is gone, but I see it with glass in it and not rotten. That would be cool!

  4394. #4394Truck Shop2021-09-27 18:24

    I see it with a 20 ton weight dropped on it.

  4395. #4395skyking12021-09-27 18:32

    Let the good ol' boys get after it with the Franken-Prentice

  4396. #4396Truck Shop2021-09-28 17:48

    Now this one below is a direct example of what I said above about people getting in the business of buying a restored vehicle then flipping it for a exorbitant amount of cash. Yes he can ask what he wants-the problem really goes into orbit when a fool {more money than brains buys it}. Which leads the seller into trying it again-and the guy selling this is a bonified flipper-he's done this before. Another problem is it causes others to think the same and prices start to sky rocket driving the little guy who actually was a driver, mechanic or owner operator out taking their chance to have any fun. In the end it always boils down to money-these people fly in and screw it for the rest. 1951 LTL Mack-it originally sold for $12,000-the zero who has it is asking $160,000-----Greed.

  4397. #4397skyking12021-09-28 18:17

    I don't see that happening. That's just a stupid price.

  4398. #4398DMiller2021-09-28 18:40

    Can ask ANY pricing level, only get what can get.

  4399. #4399Truck Shop2021-09-28 20:20

    That's true he can ask any price--it is what it is and doesn't take away from the fact he is a inflationary greedy F@%K.

  4400. #4400Truck Shop2021-09-28 20:23

    Really-any Barrett Jackson auction shows just how materialistic old white haired boomers really are. Fact

  4401. #4401petepilot2021-09-28 22:13

    barrett-jackson is pretty much an ego trip for the wealthy

  4402. #4402Truck Shop2021-09-29 00:28

    Very true-the problem with that. it sets a false stage for price. Plus they couldn't do the work if their life depended on it because they have no skill or talent. Constantly freeloading on the little guy.

  4403. #4403DB22021-09-29 05:53

    Jay Leno comes to mind.

  4404. #4404Truck Shop2021-09-30 18:41

    523 model KW with Hall Scott Marine V12 Invader.

  4405. #4405BSAA65LB2021-09-30 20:08
  4406. #4406Truck Shop2021-10-01 09:25

    51 years ago Sept 30 1970 a snipers bullet ripped through a semi hauling Gelex #1 dynamite. Just west of Springfield, Mo on I-44 mile post 66. A 43,000 lb load. Killing driver John Galt and vaporizing complete truck. Windows were blown out 12 miles away. It left a hole 50' wide, 70' long and 30' deep. All over a union trucker strike.

  4407. #4407skyking12021-10-01 09:40

    wow!

  4408. #4408Old Doug2021-10-01 10:37

    The Pete is worth about $4000.00 if you realy wanted it . The Mack sometimes some thing needs to be scraped before any one gets a stupid ideal. I would see if anyone needs parts from the Mack then scrap it.

  4409. #4409skyking12021-10-01 10:42

    Now that would be a cool collectible!

  4410. #4410Truck Shop2021-10-01 11:05

    only one built and long gone

  4411. #4411skyking12021-10-02 00:26

    Some Hall Scott history. Paccar I had no idea. https://warfarehistorynetwork.com/2019/01/13/fighting-to-survive/

  4412. #4412crane operator2021-10-02 00:38

    The shooter was a striking trucker. He had worked for the company they were picketing, and knew that 1/2 the company loads were dynamite. The driver who was killed had just been hired, he had been laid off from GE as a engineer. He left behind a wife and 4 kids. The shooter and some accomplices (who were also shooting at the trucks), spent the day on a exit ramp drinking, waiting for that companies trucks to drive by. The shooter was sentenced to 99 years in prison, and served 8 years and was released in 1979.

  4413. #4413JPV2021-10-02 01:07

    That's incredible, I have never heard of that. It doesn't seem right to hit the like button on those posts...

  4414. #4414Truck Shop2021-10-02 07:30

    Thanks for the added info C.O. . I remember it from the nightly news.

  4415. #4415skyking12021-10-02 08:32

    The other forums I frequent have several choices, including a thank you. Maybe this would be a good suggestion.

  4416. #4416DMiller2021-10-02 10:56

    I still remember that on the news in STL when happened, was quite a bad day all around. Soured numerous people on Unions, bad membership does not represent the basis of Locals.

  4417. #4417BSAA65LB2021-10-02 11:11

    [/url][/IMG]

  4418. #4418Truck Shop2021-10-02 20:05

    This Detroit I don't mind because of what it is and the fact it was installed in the 60's by a guy named Rod Hussey in Ellensburg my old town. It had a cattle box on it then and pulled a cattle trailer, 55 mph up hill 55 mph down. I would see it buzzing through town now and then. Rod installed the 12V71 himself, Rick Cole of Ellensburg owns it now and rode in it when was a kid. Rick has been talking to me about installing hydraulic power box steering. Which I might do. 1952 823 model.

  4419. #4419DMiller2021-10-02 20:39

    Sweet old monster!!

  4420. #4420Truck Shop2021-10-04 18:23

    Funny to me anyway-I just got off the phone with the guy who bought my mack. He asked if I would lengthen the hood on one of his LT Macks-vintage 1951. I didn't say yes yet-maybe-maybe not-who knows. Plus he wants big power installed.

  4421. #4421DMiller2021-10-04 19:19

    There ya go!!

  4422. #4422JPV2021-10-04 19:31

    I doubt there is anyone else more qualified for the job, that would be another cool looking truck!

  4423. #4423Raildudes dad2021-10-07 19:17

    Retirement project to earn a little (a lot) of spending money

  4424. #4424Truck Shop2021-10-07 20:48

    I seriously doubt I would do it. #1 He's collector-and like 99% of collectors they want everything perfect. A nit picker. It's all about them. #2 To move the cab back 1 foot takes a bunch of cash and probably not worth the trouble. #3 My labor would far out weigh materials and the cost of materials won't be cheap. #4 At my age I'm not really interested in putting up with someone's rich guy attitude. #5 He called me to tell me he was removing some things he didn't like on the truck I sold him-that's ok it's his truck. But he didn't need to tell me that. Which tells me a lot about him.

  4425. #4425crane operator2021-10-07 21:34

    I personally wouldn't want to build a custom truck for someone else for all those reasons you listed. I see it a lot in the home building sector, rich person with money and no skills wants custom cabinetry hand built at home depot prices. And they typically expect their "unhappyness" with the final product should be a excuse to not pay the full bill, when their unsatisfaction with the final product, is directly tied to poor decisions made on their own part early in the project. Not a lack of skill on the craftsmans part.

  4426. #4426petepilot2021-10-08 00:33

    amen

  4427. #4427skyking12021-10-08 01:22

    My wife has made a wedding present quilt for all my nieces and nephews, my brother. They are works of art and love. This last wedding the niece requested certain colors and to somehow put cats on it. It took all the fun out of it. It was more of a commission and not a present. In the end she still had fun with it, but it was touch and go there for a while. When you built the last truck you just let it all hang out, did what came to mind. Doing something like that "to spec" would steal all the creative juices right out of it.

  4428. #4428Truck Shop2021-10-08 18:30

    Your absolutely correct SK & CO. Mother Deuce called it a masterpiece -work of art, she is correct also. Along with many others on here. I went at it working several ideas at one time, creating as I went doing what I wanted not what others wanted. It would turn into a job if I built one for someone else, the fun would disappear. Below is a example of a LT Mack I drew some years back, something I like to do also. At least with this work no one can take parts off or complain, it's just pencil, ink and paper.

  4429. #4429crane operator2021-10-09 08:48

    1977 chevrolet- asking $2750 for it. It's a thing of beauty.

  4430. #4430Old Doug2021-10-09 08:54

    Thats a truck that needs to be built the hood needs to be lengthened 4 feet so the engine can be worked on.

  4431. #4431DMiller2021-10-09 11:31

    Needs a cab tilt, short enough to be called a Bubble Nose!!

  4432. #443256wrench2021-10-09 12:09

    At least doesn't have the gull-wing hood. Those were a pain. Maybe its got a 6V53? I'd consider doing a bit of a frame stretch

  4433. #4433DMiller2021-10-09 12:14

    77 is either 6L 71, 6v 71 or 1160 Cat Predates 3208 or DD Pincher v8

  4434. #4434Truck Shop2021-10-09 14:34

    I would consider placing a brick on the throttle.

  4435. #4435DMiller2021-10-09 18:32

    Based on the stack and daylight spots under cab I am going with 1160

  4436. #4436Truck Shop2021-10-09 19:18

    Well I'm still going with the brick idea.

  4437. #4437kshansen2021-10-09 19:32

    Would that be after draining the oil and coolant?

  4438. #4438crane operator2021-10-09 19:54

    Some form of cummins in it, the valve cover looks like a l10, but it doesn't look long enough for that.

  4439. #4439DMiller2021-10-09 20:06

    Then is not a '77, L10 was not developed until '82, sounds as has a Invalid Title!!!

  4440. #4440Truck Shop2021-10-09 20:15

    No-I would just clamp the radiator hose off, want to have a little fun. That's a L10 with a rotten shepard gear.

  4441. #4441DMiller2021-10-09 20:22

    If can get, get the cab model numbers. Is a Series 90 cab

  4442. #4442Truck Shop2021-10-09 20:34

    It's a pile, lets blow it up.

  4443. #4443Truck Shop2021-10-09 20:35

    Here-they only want a 1000 for this honey.

  4444. #4444DMiller2021-10-09 20:50

    Now there is a "Cherry"!!!!

  4445. #4445Truck Shop2021-10-09 21:32
  4446. #4446crane operator2021-10-10 08:29

    Someone's going to have a shock when they come across the two mid 70's groves that have late 90's 8.3 cummins in them also. I was really hot to trot on the old Yellow Freight truck, you guys have talked me out of it. Thanks. Where's the digger truck at truckshop? If I can't have the Yellow Freight, I got options....

  4447. #4447crane operator2021-10-10 09:08

    Its chevrolet week! Was at a auction yesterday and walked out without these two. Planetary drive, 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer. 6.2 gm diesels. (what a dog those 6.2's were) One had a old reed digger, and the other one they had planned to put a snowplow on but never got around to it (local college owned them). They were military surplus airplane pushers I think. The guys at the college said they could run about 20mph down the road, and were a little squirrelly with the rear steer. Especially the short wheelbase digger truck. 12.0020's on the white one, 8.25's on the digger. The 12.00's were a little tall, they had kind of dug into the front quarter panel on the drivers side.

  4448. #4448kshansen2021-10-10 09:57

    So a slow death?

  4449. #4449DMiller2021-10-10 10:13

    Can see that old SA Tractor revised to a Small Dump truck pretty efficiently. As to the Square Bodies, re-axle? Lose the Iron front ends, and sell the digger then Re-axle to Usable or sell for parts as Cabs and Frames. Axles are unique and likely Obsolete.

  4450. #4450Truck Shop2021-10-10 13:02

    https://spokane.craigslist.org/hvo/d/kootenai-truck-tractors-super-low-miles/7377202967.html

  4451. #4451Truck Shop2021-10-10 13:06

    https://spokane.craigslist.org/hvo/d/coolin-oshkosh-911/7388552637.html A perfect one for Spud.

  4452. #4452DMiller2021-10-10 15:16

    AND AWD!!! Not bad looking old Louisvilles, too bad DD 6V92s, GUTLESS!!

  4453. #4453Truck Shop2021-10-10 15:42

    For a in town lowboy tractor those Louisville's would work perfect. If needed extra axle add a jeep.

  4454. #4454crane operator2021-10-10 16:32

    It sure would help with getting stuff up and down his hill. It would stink for most anyone else, oversize permit everywhere you want to go. Not easy to find rubber for either. Those gov't trucks look like a lot of new alcoa rims, maybe they had all 20" rubber on them and whoever bought them at auction changed them over?

  4455. #4455crane operator2021-10-10 16:38

    I don't know where the axles came from, the mounting of the flatbed was kinda on the primitive side. Welded right in place.. Suspension didn't look like it offered a lot of travel or much of a cushy ride either.

  4456. #4456DMiller2021-10-10 17:09

    Chances are the OE Rails are fubar as well so pretty well parts machines, decent enough square bodies people give GOOD money for.

  4457. #4457Truck Shop2021-10-10 17:10

    Those are original alcoa wheels-they haven't made small hole for some time now.

  4458. #4458colson042021-10-10 20:12

    First class 8 truck I ever drove was an '85 L9000 with a 6v92 and a 9 speed. With the 9ft spread on the lift axle, we could legally haul 800 bushel on a straight truck. Only truck I have driven that I had to use low to get it moving, no matter where I was starting from. She ran plenty strong for our needs, though not a fast rig. We used to haul our beans an hour away to Zeeland and got passed by everything on the highway. We would probably still be running it, but rust jacking cracked the frame and my grandpa wasn't about to re-frame that truck. After 19 years of owning it, my grandpa was ready for something newer, quieter, and less frustrating to drive.

  4459. #4459skyking12021-10-10 21:38

    from the detroit tractor ad: "Contact me for more information or if you would like to see them." No I've seen enough.

  4460. #4460Truck Shop2021-10-11 00:51

    Not me-I think those need to be shortened up, Move those drive axles right behind the cab. Br great for pulling a tag trailer too for those super tight spots in cities and suburbs moving that monster toro dingo around.

  4461. #4461skyking12021-10-11 10:53

    I was all done at 6v92

  4462. #4462Truck Shop2021-10-11 14:55

    No one hates Detroit 2 strokes more than me.

  4463. #4463DMiller2021-10-11 17:37

    Would almost betcha, Still hate dealing with them as had a 16V92 at the nuke on a Back Up building generator, Screamin ME ME'S

  4464. #4464DMiller2021-10-11 17:39

    Made my kidneys ache just looking thru the ad pictures!!

  4465. #4465skyking12021-10-11 18:01

    I had an 8v92 about 4' behind me on the little dredge in Tacoma. Earplugs plus earmuffs and I know I gave up some of my hearing to that bastige.

  4466. #4466mowingman2021-10-11 19:23

    I kind of miss those Detroits. Almost everything we had at the sand and stone plants back in the 80's, was powered by a Detroit. They were easy to rebuild, and parts were cheap. Loud for sure. Jeff

  4467. #4467Truck Shop2021-10-11 19:33

    Good for stationary ain't worth a damn in a truck.

  4468. #4468DMiller2021-10-11 20:08

    Owned a 8v92, never again, not certain would buy anything with Det Dsl on it. Gave up counting the number of driptroits I ended up working on

  4469. #4469Truck Shop2021-10-11 20:55
  4470. #4470Pony2021-10-11 21:57

    You've shown a few old cattle trucks recently TS, very interesting, thanks.

  4471. #4471Truck Shop2021-10-11 22:42

    Well here's one I rode in, rode in two Pistoresi trucks years ago. Middle photo, not my photo.

  4472. #4472Birken Vogt2021-10-11 22:51

    Robert Vannatta did this write up in the very early days of the internet. This is how the web used to look. I think he may have come on this forum a time or two. http://www.vannattabros.com/truck.html

  4473. #4473Coaldust2021-10-11 23:12

    I can smell those bull racks all the way above the 60. I finally got my smeller back after getting over the coof.

  4474. #4474Pony2021-10-12 00:59

    Any idea what you call your railway cattle crates (2nd pic)? Over here we call them K-wagons, not sure why. Maybe cause they carry kattle?

  4475. #4475Bluox2021-10-12 01:10

    I'm gonna guess those are sheep haulers. Bob

  4476. #4476DMiller2021-10-12 05:05

    In the midwest states any livestock body or trailer we call a ‘Bull Rack’ Some still call them ‘Pots’ for most being potbellied or low slung. Are still a minimal few late 50’s early 60’s started off in life as flatbeds had sides and air/tarp racks added which makes them short sided but awkward to load or offload as floor is so tall, both in straight trucks or trailers. Trying to get multi duty from the original trucks or trailers but not lending well to manure then grains or hay or packaged feeds or supplies without considerable time effort and materials for disassembling/reassembling and cleaning.

  4477. #4477Pony2021-10-12 06:26

    Oops, that'll learn me for opening my mouth before having a proper look. I'd say your right. I have no idea about anything to do with sheep, I don't know if they are transported on K-wagons or not.

  4478. #4478Truck Shop2021-10-12 07:43

    The term bull wagon was used because it sounded tougher than calling it a cattle truck, you can't drive a bull wagon unless you have the proper attire. George Straight cut jeans, pearl snaps and yoked shirt, boots with chrome pointy toes, kerchief and a high crown hat with Stampede Strings.

  4479. #4479colson042021-10-12 09:12

    well, I didn't need to waste 20 minutes this morning, but I sure did. I enjoyed reading about his experience with the M911 and saved his site for some more rainy day reading later.

  4480. #4480skyking12021-10-12 09:44

    you paint a pretty picture Mike. I can see this guy now.

  4481. #4481Crummy2021-10-12 10:45

    Buuuuuul Hauler! 24.5 Tall Rubber (because only girls run 22.5), straight smoke poles with bull hauler cut, if it came with 5 lights add another 15-20, 9,467hp Catummins tuned by a guy in a bunker in Tennessee that knows everything about Catummins, CB tuned by a shop in a bunker in Texas that you can talk to guys on Jupiter if the skip is in.

  4482. #4482skyking12021-10-12 11:03

    HAHA a dirty radio that blasts out on every band! We had an old alarm clock radio that did the trick, but one night some ass with a really dirty CB somehow brought it to life. We leapt up, with trucker talk blasting out of this *Turned OFF* radio! I thought it was a fluke until the next night, same time, same trucker. It went in the trash.

  4483. #4483Bluox2021-10-12 11:51

    Ya forgot the 5 buckle overshoes so ya don't get cowshit on your Tony Adidas. Bob

  4484. #4484Crummy2021-10-12 13:00

    Made me think of fish boots & a busket One of my favorite movies.

  4485. #4485Crummy2021-10-12 13:31

    *Estimated 9,467hp (to the ground). Broke the guys dyno when we ran it.....

  4486. #4486Coaldust2021-10-12 13:35

    This reminds me that I need to head over to RMBH on the Tube and see if they have any new bull hauling videos. Sad news, the last local commercial Grade A Dairy has ceased operations. Havemeister Dairy. The owner died and the kids don’t want it. The herd is getting split up. Not sure where they will find a bull rack to haul the critters. Do you have the phone number of the Dude with the **** covered 5-buckle overshoes?

  4487. #4487Coaldust2021-10-12 13:44

    No more fresh cow milk for me. Just the frozen stuff off the barge from now on. This fat lady was eating turnip greens from my garden pile yesterday. Moose milk? I’ll let you know how it goes.

  4488. #4488Truck Shop2021-10-12 15:01

    As they walk each step is a broke d!ck country western tune.

  4489. #4489DMiller2021-10-12 18:37

    Worked on enough of them to know the ONLY clean on them(Bull Rack Trucks) is the Outside, Drivers carry the **** in on shoes and most never clean the floors. One even told me "Smells Like Money".

  4490. #4490skyking12021-10-12 18:46

    they need to build the cabs like plastic Sani cans. Just hose out the floor.

  4491. #449156wrench2021-10-12 20:29

    I have a cousin who has hauled cows most of his life and his equipment is spotless inside and out. He owns his own truck and pulls liners for a long-time friend's company. He changes in and out of coveralls and rubber boots and keeps the crap out of his truck. NO he does not dress or act like some of the stereotype livestock truckers

  4492. #4492Truck Shop2021-10-12 20:59

    Because he hauls cows and not just bulls says it all right there. Because in order to have bulls there must be cows too. If all trucks only hauled bulls how did that come about?

  4493. #4493Truck Shop2021-10-12 21:08

    Hell they even have their own BULL Hauler Stacks. Now I don't know any other OTR that has their own term for a exhaust pipe!

  4494. #4494Birken Vogt2021-10-12 23:02

    Log trucks around here use those same stacks, but maybe that's because the log haulers and bull haulers are usually the same people. Many/most bullracks around here have the log truck headache rack on the tractor, guess they switch them back and forth.

  4495. #4495BSAA65LB2021-10-13 06:16
  4496. #4496Old Doug2021-10-13 09:29

    Every time i see a bull rack that smell comes to mind. Its not even close to the worst thing to smell that is haul by truck.

  4497. #4497Crummy2021-10-13 09:57

    .....Corvette dash, flat top sleeper, 15 double over on the dash, runs 105mph at 1400rpm at 3am....

  4498. #4498Truck Shop2021-10-13 11:03

    I have finally reached the point I have to say something that has been a total trucker Bull ****/lie for years and years. {There is no such thing as a Double Over 15 Speed} The only double over drives were 13 speeds starting with the RTOO 9513 and ending with the RTOO 14613. Those gear boxes had a direct of .73 and a overdrive of .62 in top gear. The RTO 15 speeds only had .78 or .79 or .81 in top gear. What was common was that the OTR's that ran those used a rear drive ratio of 3.70-3.55 or 3.42 or 3.36 which gave top gear a big drop combined with .78. Read the 13spd and 15spd chart below. I have rebuilt I don't know how many RTO 15's and the part numbers were always the same. No such thing as a RTOO 15 spd. http://www.roadranger.com/rr/ProductsServices/ProductsbyCategory/Transmissions/PCT_486870

  4499. #4499Crummy2021-10-13 13:31

    Put them all together you'd have one heck of a truck! Probably could make it from Jersey to LA in 28 hours.

  4500. #4500Truck Shop2021-10-13 13:50

    Like the stories it put this much on the ground when it was dyno tested. Hog Wash. Pittsburg Power put out so much false information, bogus. The 14L 855 Cummins was only capable of 500 hp and less other wise it would eat the cam from too much fuel psi. The stress on the cam jumps significantly if fuel system isn't match flowed. There is only so much you can get out of these engines no matter what brand and have it reliable. You may increase horse power but peak torque not so much.

  4501. #4501skyking12021-10-13 15:40

    you can jack up an engine, guys jack up those common rails like mine in my pickup to crazy numbers. They just won't do it for very long. I look at truck engines the same way I look at aircraft engines. It isn't real unless it's a continuous rating. That means all the systems have to be up to speed for that amount of power and torque and heat.

  4502. #4502Crummy2021-10-13 16:30

    Yeah, well Billy Big Rig here at the lunch counter says you guys are full of s.... You flash 'er wit' the 875hp Australian marine C18 file, set the trim codes 7777 across the board, run the fuel stabiliator screw in 2 turns, and bada-boom-bada-bing she'll be layin' down 1,400 to the ground.

  4503. #4503DMiller2021-10-13 16:35

    Can remember the first Aneroids, we had to replace a load of headlamp trim screws as the missing were lodged in the fuel lines that also had to be repaired. Driver SWORE made 50hp difference, IDIOTS. EVERY Accident that involved the trucks in the first fleet I worked where the trucks were either towed back to yard or to a Shop outside due to distance had to be inspected for pump tampering. Found SEVERAL with the above condition and a few with Stingers in the idle screw cover plug hole on the Cummins. the old Detroits would inspect the fuel return lines, ANY Vice Grip marks drivers were fired, ANY seal missing on the governor housing same.

  4504. #4504Coaldust2021-10-13 16:36

    Here is a 10,500 gallon blast from the past. MC306 spec Beall Trans-Liner. Test date June 1981. I did a inspection on it yesterday. No, it didn’t pass. .

  4505. #4505DMiller2021-10-13 16:39

    Imagine that!!!

  4506. #4506Coaldust2021-10-13 16:44

    This is a original gangster azimuth valve. I’ve been doing this for awhile and this is the first one I’ve ever seen in the wild. Had no idea these were still in use in 1981. Hard to believe it’s never been converted to modern DOT406 spec TTMA flange style internal valves. Get this, Wert’s Welding has a dusty one the shelf in Billings. No gaskets. The Betts factory still custom builds them at the factory special request. Lead time- 16 weeks.

  4507. #4507Coaldust2021-10-13 16:48

    Hasn’t been on the road system in awhile.

  4508. #4508DMiller2021-10-13 17:15

    Werts big operation here is Wood River IL About mile and a half from the house I grew up in. Cannot believe that antique is still intact.

  4509. #4509DMiller2021-10-13 17:44

    Cannot remember the Goat roper POS ID Label I dragged hauling Diesel and JP with in STL Area, STEEL tank, early 70s vintage, 8500gal with under tank stores a pto driven pump system and NO BAFFLES. One hole Drop and could NOT legally load 6000 in that bustard anywhere near to a scale. Rocked the tractor for HOURS trying to get the Slosh under control. It was Wert's that failed it finally in 1982 and it went to some scrapper. Had USAF markings painted over, was originally Blue, believe to have been a Runway Refueler where weight did not matter.

  4510. #4510Truck Shop2021-10-13 17:59

    Let me guess--Billy Big Rig is wearing a hat that says {You Ain't **** If You Ain't A Trucker} In that case I'm glad I'm not a trucker-I would rather not be **** by being a trucker.

  4511. #4511Crummy2021-10-13 18:14

    How did you guess?!?!? I don't know if I want to **** him off, he says he spent 11 years in the SEAL's before he started driving truck and being an engine and transmission and CB expert.

  4512. #4512Crummy2021-10-13 18:35

    @Truck Shop why do people see the '67 KW and tell me right off 'you should...." [restore it, paint it, chrome it....] Maybe I should send it over to you with $150k in a sack to make them happy.

  4513. #4513Truck Shop2021-10-13 18:58

    The new fad Semi Trucks. I was interested in trucks by age 4. Been investigating them for years now every dink in the country is a so called authority. The sad part is it is ruining it for us old farts.

  4514. #4514DMiller2021-10-13 19:10

    Early in my Youth I lived in the lovely industrial Center of East Alton IL, Rail Switchyard essentially in my backyard and nearly every block had real time truck drivers with their own trucks and Construction machines EVERYWHERE, I grew insatiable as to RR and Heavy Trucks/Equipment Knowledge. Then we moved to the 'Burbs, end of our street was a cornfield, I watched and yearned to learn all I could of the machines they used to build the Burbs, to construct the Interstates, actually witnessed the development of I-70 thru E Central MO and W Illinois. Been dealing with much of it since the mid seventies hands on, going on 47 years now. Had the stint at the Nuke, eye opener on the machinery/materials I helped to get trucked around the nation. Realy have a dislike for those that consider themselves Trucking Aficionados that never drove or put a wrench to even one.

  4515. #4515Truck Shop2021-10-13 19:35

    Now you guys will think I've really lost it. 1980 K100 3406A 400hp DITA, 10spd, 8 bag on SQHP's 3.70 ratio. Interior is in pretty good shape and will clean up. 24,000 miles on Cat in-frame. $3,000. Plus I'm working on a 1962 KW 923 335hp. Straight fiberglass tilt hood. $ 3,000.

  4516. #4516Truck Shop2021-10-13 19:38

    1935 IH, 55 Chevy Suburban school bus and a 1935 Olds two door hump back.

  4517. #4517Truck Shop2021-10-13 19:39

    That's a ration tag issued in 1945 good through 1946.

  4518. #4518Truck Shop2021-10-13 21:05

    Got one of D Millers absolute favorite trucks and this one is even uglier. An old steel hauler that was used by a local farmer {because it was cheap} to haul onions and asparagus.

  4519. #4519skyking12021-10-13 23:27

    Ermagerd that is fugly!! I don't think you've lost it, those sound like some good possible runners. That 3406a is a gem.

  4520. #4520skyking12021-10-14 01:08

    The coof eh? Mirriam Webster on coof: Definition of coof chiefly Scottish : a stupid fellow : DOLT , LOUT But wait, there's more! urban dictionary, drop down a few definitions and you find: "To Coof is to take capsules , most commonly drugs through the penis. It is unexpectably the safest and best way to take caps as it avoids the liver and enhances the effects." It predates the virus by a year or two. Now THAT's a sick burn, ouch!

  4521. #4521Coaldust2021-10-14 02:33

    Oh’ goodness. Urban Dictionary is awesome.

  4522. #4522Truck Shop2021-10-14 10:02

    The next thing someone will post is about there prostate biopsy.

  4523. #4523skyking12021-10-14 11:01

    bull racks to prostates. not such a leap

  4524. #4524Truck Shop2021-10-14 13:06

    Not here at HEF it isn't.

  4525. #452559 North2021-10-14 13:25

    Being that vintage, I would guess its been on the Haul road a time or two, (three?). Ha! If I recall correctly, that was a fairly common unit up here for quite some time.

  4526. #4526Truck Shop2021-10-14 14:50

    A place I worked for had a 5 compartment like that, Glad they sold it.

  4527. #4527Truck Shop2021-10-14 18:49

    A Kenworth like the one below is what I'm working on to buy. Very similar except it has a water tank on the back. Owned by the state setting at the state pen here in town. A friend/neighbor down the street worked at the pen for years and knew who to contact. I really don't want a cabover I want the Cat power that's in it and gearbox plus rear drives for this KW. Plus the fuel tanks and what ever else. I drove enough cabovers years ago. Funny the state owning a 60 year old vehicle.

  4528. #4528skyking12021-10-14 18:59

    I haven't fallen completely out of it cabover, but I have been dangling from a grab handle more than once. My shoulders are not that great anymore. I'm with you on that. Never mind the crappy ride etc.

  4529. #4529Truck Shop2021-10-14 19:11

    That's the trouble with cabovers-gravity takes over.

  4530. #4530dust eater2021-10-14 19:14

    I still see an occasional one around here usually pulling dump trailers and I just wonder why

  4531. #4531Crummy2021-10-14 19:17

    You get that '63 you should.....

  4532. #4532Crummy2021-10-14 19:29

    @Truck Shop you didn't run up to Curlew and grab that '49 KW?

  4533. #4533Truck Shop2021-10-14 19:32

    No that's to far, there's enough old critters laying around here. A person just needs to spend the time looking.

  4534. #4534JPV2021-10-14 21:33

    What would you do with the water tank? Depending on what it is my boss might be interested if you are not keeping it.

  4535. #4535Truck Shop2021-10-14 21:44

    Well you know JPV I certainly don't need it, so if someone you know could use it I would sell it pretty cheap.

  4536. #4536DMiller2021-10-15 04:45

    There ya go spud Water storage.

  4537. #4537DMiller2021-10-15 04:51

    Slipped on a old CO freightliner getting out Ended up snagging L arm fell and got to see my arm reversed will pointed straight up, not a good day. Shop foreman had seen before and popped it back over, pissed myself. Almost did it again on my K100 in 80. Been seeing a old Marmon COE dragging a hopper bottom last couple days, belongs to a farm at Mexico MO, old 350 BC2 in it, know that as worked on it in 95, same family still has it. Seeing more reprobate COEs since beginning of summer. Mostly Pete and Corn Queen here. Farmers bought them cheap as Conventionals got popular

  4538. #453856wrench2021-10-15 09:01

    About the only positive thing i can say about an old coe is that they almost always have a shorter turning radius than a conventional.

  4539. #4539skyking12021-10-15 09:52

    The windshield is easier to wash too.

  4540. #4540DB22021-10-15 10:47

    A hardened old trucker once told me a COE was always first on the scene.

  4541. #4541Coaldust2021-10-15 12:43

    COE’s were great for the windshield biz. Guys tilting the cab without securing all the loose stuff in the cab. A Thermos becomes a rocket.

  4542. #4542skyking12021-10-15 12:57

    that whole " either take everything out, or try and pre-stack it behind the seats" BS.

  4543. #4543Truck Shop2021-10-15 13:26

    None of you folks ever went to the markets in California. The South San Francisco Fruit and Vegetable Terminal or the L. A. Market and several others. Those were built in the 20's & 30's for trailers averaging 30' long not 40', 45,' 48' or 53' with a conventional tractor. If you weren't driving a cabover it was real tough to bump the dock. I was pulling a 46' 6" with a cabover and damn glad I had it.

  4544. #4544skyking12021-10-15 13:32

    I was grateful for my 48' double drop deck and K100 on my one cross country trip .

  4545. #4545DMiller2021-10-15 19:42

    We had similar here, Produce Row in St Louis, built in the 20s for Rail inbound supplies to be transferred to warehouses for refrigeration or cool storage and hauled out by trucks of the era. Docks were incorrect height, almost where trucks would fully cross the center when offloading., Conventionals were not allowed in the yard as could not get backed in appropriately, yard mules had been used of more recent years where trailers were dropped outside the 'Row'. Buildings were dilapidated, many dangerous as concrete and brick was crumbling, part was torn down and eventually the Row was moved to the East Side where a huge warehouse district was erected, Produce Row is now a site for Small Farm productions sales. Last truck I had in there was a 77 F Model Mack tandem, 140" wb, with a 45' Refer.

  4546. #454656wrench2021-10-16 11:03

    nowadays a conventional with a setback axle is a good compromise in my opinion

  4547. #4547DMiller2021-10-16 13:33

    Not near short enough besides having a nose sticking out to get hung up.

  4548. #4548Truck Shop2021-10-16 14:16

    Pacific Produce-Vancouver B.C.-Lot was triangle shaped the dock was at same angle as lot. You pulled in towards the point of said triangle and blind side backed to dock with about two feet between trailers. Fun place-I could look through the window on the right side of sleeper which was a big help.

  4549. #4549Truck Shop2021-10-16 14:28
  4550. #4550Truck Shop2021-10-17 11:59
  4551. #4551RollOver Pete2021-10-17 16:55

    Good ol L A Market.. Unloading back in 99. The place was a nightmare back then . Honest to God, you had better stand watch with a gun in hand or those low life lumpers would rip you off blind. I learned this after coming up short on a few cases of pears.

  4552. #4552DMiller2021-10-17 17:14

    Looks much like Produce Row in STL back in the day, **** EVERYWHERE!!.

  4553. #4553RollOver Pete2021-10-17 17:49

    Yep. It's kind of hard to believe that I actually survived that place. I flat out wouldn't have the patience today for the crap, rudeness and complete turd bags that one deals with down there. I'd be doing time for assault and /or murder. No doubt... But it was fun... Pulled for Peroni Produce out of Spokane Wa.

  4554. #4554DMiller2021-10-17 18:20

    Made several runs up thru the Valley back in 77/78 as a extra for a team truck, dropped WI cheese at a grocer chain warehouse outside Orange CA, up 5 and cross thru Bakersfield picking up fruit for front load bulkheaded trailer, topped off Salinas for Lettuce tail load was pretty common. LA Was always a Nightmare to get thru where just wanted OUT of there. Many times dropped in AZ ran up into Barstow, crossed and followed same path north all to come back to Produce Row and argue with the wholesalers as to prices they negotiated trying to cut them down.

  4555. #4555RollOver Pete2021-10-17 18:41

    I didn't start driving till 83. Mostly flatbed, end dumps and hauling equipment. The produce days were 99-2000. Start in Yuma loading north. Unload in Spokane , up to Oroville loading south for L.A. Good Lord... lotsa Mt Dew, candy and cross tops. I'd turn 2 back to back by myself and take a week off to recover. Aint no way I'd try to run like that today. I just thank God that I never hurt anybody other than myself while truckin it up like we did. Peroni only had company trucks back then with the exception of about 4 of us OO's. They made well worth it. If the cash is gonna flow, move over... I gotta go.

  4556. #4556DMiller2021-10-17 19:11

    Would not care to remember all the Team Runs when I was all alone, development of the Funny papers commenced. Lots of help on the road at that time on how to mod log books and I did, by the bucket full. As noted sugary snacks soda by the gallon or coffee until the stomach said enough, drive til couldn’t the stop lay across the wheel or doghouse wake up and go some more. Would hate to think how much damage could have been done. Then the frustrating cigar chewing little old men in corrective shoes trying to con a freebie or drop costs by half, ********.

  4557. #4557Truck Shop2021-10-17 20:45

    Wish I hadn't brought up the markets-trying to forget 40 plus years later.

  4558. #4558DMiller2021-10-17 21:15

    Most us all here dealt with our own. Sorry to expand on the memories.

  4559. #4559JPV2021-10-17 21:16

    Glad you did, interesting reading for those of us who never have or will but always kinda wondering what we are missing out on.

  4560. #4560petepilot2021-10-17 23:02

    in all my truckin over the years I hauled 3 loads of what could be called produce 1 load of top ice corn 1load of watermelon and 1 load of tomatoes all from florida north. I learned enough from those 3 to get the hell away from that stuff and stay away from it

  4561. #4561Crummy2021-10-18 07:22

    Onions on a flat.

  4562. #4562Truck Shop2021-10-18 08:44

    Wasn't any produce I hadn't hauled. Strawberries could be the worst. I would put a coffee can with about a inch of bleach in it and set it on the floor just inside the doors. Run with it till I was 100 miles from drop then remove it, open vent doors to air it out. Kept hair from growing on the berries. When loading strawberries they all better be on the green side. Shippers liked to stove pipe the berries-put ripe ones on the bottom of flats and cover with green ones. Hauling a iced load such as corn on the cob, ice it with layer about 6 inches thick on top open vent doors to get it melting to cover the floor with ice cold water. Run north to Redding reice the load shut the vents and haul *** to Seattle or Vancouver B.C.. Had a guy bump the dock next to me at Safeway with iced load of corn from Nogales. Never melted it down and reiced, the corn on top was blistered from ice the corn on the bottom was cooked from road heat. Total load was rejected. Ice Berg lettuce they would squeeze gate it in and rip the shute down everytime. I did like hauling flowers out of Half Moon Bay, very light and could haul ***.

  4563. #4563Truck Shop2021-10-18 13:02

    IH-KB14--And a 351 on the strip.

  4564. #4564petepilot2021-10-18 18:59

    Along with a 55-56 pontiac

  4565. #4565DMiller2021-10-18 19:02

    56 by bumper/grill

  4566. #4566Truck Shop2021-10-18 19:05

    Didn't care much for pontiacs.

  4567. #4567Truck Shop2021-10-18 19:05
  4568. #4568kshansen2021-10-18 19:40

    Is that the one you are going to stretch the hood on?

  4569. #4569DMiller2021-10-18 19:44

    Would be Similar!!! And ANOTHER 50s Pontiac behind it!!

  4570. #4570Truck Shop2021-10-18 20:02

    No-have no intention of stretching any hoods on anything. Just don't care much about much. I reread the thread I did on that truck several times. In the end all it represents is a lot of heartache. I'm glad it's on the other side of the country.

  4571. #457156wrench2021-10-19 10:35

    I can't hit the like button. For me it would have been like selling one of my kids. After putting time and money into raising them, i hated to see them go

  4572. #4572RollOver Pete2021-10-19 20:26

    I see that you are no longer a fry cook. Does star gazing pay better?

  4573. #4573Truck Shop2021-10-19 20:54

    What does it matter? Who cares?

  4574. #4574RollOver Pete2021-10-19 21:26

    Really? It doesn't matter. And I suppose no one cares.

  4575. #4575Old Doug2021-10-23 10:30

    I have a Jeep i did alot of work to it now sets in a vanbox it hasnt seen day light in 2 or 3 years. I should sell it but i know it would be hard to replace but i have several.

  4576. #4576skyking12021-10-23 11:15

    I sold my old 12V Cummins Dodge yesterday. Things change, priorities. I can count my good years on my fingers and toes. Time to move on from some things.

  4577. #4577RollOver Pete2021-10-23 16:18

    How much did you get for it?

  4578. #4578JPV2021-10-23 17:26
  4579. #4579skyking12021-10-23 17:36

    LOL nice JPV.

  4580. #4580RollOver Pete2021-10-23 21:15

    Wow. Since I just inframed my 06, it's gotta be worth at least $45k.

  4581. #4581RollOver Pete2021-10-23 21:17

    And I just now serviced its horns.

  4582. #4582skyking12021-10-23 21:29

    I went from a 2wd 96 auto to a 4wd 07 6 speed. Night and day for towing.

  4583. #4583RollOver Pete2021-10-23 21:31

    A 12 valve Chevy. Nice

  4584. #4584JPV2021-10-23 22:08

    That's what this is, my 84 that I put a 94 12 valve in. I will keep it forever I think.

  4585. #4585Old Doug2021-10-24 09:57

    I bought a 1987/ 1989 ? i dont have it home yet chevy R30 4door 2wd single wheel. I dont need or want the extra doors. I want a 1979/ 1999 1/2ton 2 wd regular cab. If the it wasnt a big frame R30 i would chop the cab and change the axles. Maybe i can sell it or trade. The 4 door older 1ton chevys are every were when you want a plain cab.

  4586. #4586Truck Shop2021-10-26 19:50

    Legendary designer Larry Shinoda was responsible for the Ford Boss 302 and Boss 429 Mustang. He always called Fords VP Knudsen {Boss}. He also worked for White truck and tractor division and carried the {Boss} name there too. White Road Boss.

  4587. #4587Old Doug2021-10-27 10:21

    The first time i ever saw a Silver White tractor was the first time for square headlights. I thought it was a one off show tractor.

  4588. #4588Truck Shop2021-11-04 02:07

    @

  4589. #4589Truck Shop2021-11-04 02:11

    Sleep Rite-canvas add on sleeper.

  4590. #4590DMiller2021-11-04 05:46

    Now that would be crude rude and unrefined sleeping!!

  4591. #4591Truck Shop2021-11-04 07:01

    Everyone at the truck stop would know when you farted would swell like a balloon {Ralph is out in his sleeper tent lighting farts again Martha, every time he eats a Chili Size it looks like a night glow at a hot air balloon festival.}

  4592. #4592Old Doug2021-11-04 08:13

    There was a guy here that hauled grain i dont know if he had a flat floor grain trailer but he built a sleeper box under the trailer .

  4593. #4593Truck Shop2021-11-06 18:12

    This is the portable all you hotshot welders need.

  4594. #4594DMiller2021-11-06 19:05

    Appears to be an old cut down Caddy!!

  4595. #4595Truck Shop2021-11-06 20:15

    I think it might be a 1930-

  4596. #4596DMiller2021-11-07 06:05

    Buick appears closer match

  4597. #459756wrench2021-11-07 09:08

    I love the picture! Dunno about the truck but the welder appears to be a Hobart. It looks a lot like my old Hobart GL318 but with an additional generator feature for power. Mine is a 1953 model, so a little newer than that one but similar and also has a chrysler 6 cyl engine. Mine has the longer 6 cyl ( 25" ?) so it should be a 251 or a 265 i think. I've been burning a lot of rods lately with mine on my scraper hydraulic conversion project. Its sure hard on gas though and it really bellows when i've got the amps cranked up for gouging with the air-arc. Thanks for posting that picture TS

  4598. #459856wrench2021-11-07 09:13

    Appears to be special modified rear wheels. Looks like some kind of inner disc with a few reinforcing spokes on the outside

  4599. #4599Old Doug2021-11-07 09:55

    Its hard to believe that wire spokes could hold up and from all the old pictures i have saw they were preferred over soild steel wheels back then.

  4600. #4600Truck Shop2021-11-07 11:15

    This particular brand new 1951 Pete iron nose was a pretty fancy rig for a factory new truck in those years. Supercharged 300 Cummins.

  4601. #4601DB22021-11-07 11:34

    Wonder what she cost in those days ?

  4602. #4602Truck Shop2021-11-07 11:39

    $18 to 20,000.

  4603. #4603Truck Shop2021-11-07 13:27

    And those grandiose Ford, Cheby and Dodge pickups can cost $95,000 in these times. silly.

  4604. #4604RollOver Pete2021-11-07 13:34

    With a hell of a warranty.

  4605. #4605Truck Shop2021-11-07 13:40

    They need it-todays american built crap.

  4606. #4606crane operator2021-11-07 14:01

    Mostly mexican built crap, but don't tell that to the Dodge or GM fans with their big american flag in the back window....

  4607. #4607Truck Shop2021-11-07 14:11

    Problem is it was still designed here-in some cases one can't blame who put it together, it's hard to assemble a turd correctly and still not be----- ----------------------------------------------------------a turd.

  4608. #4608RollOver Pete2021-11-07 19:27

    My Mexican bolt piece of crap is the strongest, most reliable, hardest working piece of crap I've ever made payments on. If the other 3 choices in trucks were not in my opinion the total hunk$ of **** that I am still convinced that they are, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

  4609. #4609Truck Shop2021-11-07 19:55

    I'm finding especially on our latest kenworth acquisitions built in seattle and other kenworths we had a few years back built in mexico not much difference. Most of the parts are stamped mexico anyway. A person buy's a harley because it's built in america better look at the parts in it from mexico. Eaton use to only use UK and Canada for other casted parts. 10 years ago or better they started assembling with china bearings, mexico gears and small parts from everywhere. But back to the real problem crummy engineering-it all starts in the cubical computer design. Trying to put 20 lbs of **** in a 5 lb bag.

  4610. #4610Truck Shop2021-11-07 21:37

    A hot shot mobile mechanics truck. Everything in there to completely rebuild an excavator. photo shopped.

  4611. #4611petepilot2021-11-07 22:09

    good and bad but memories just the same

  4612. #4612DMiller2021-11-08 04:51

    Not much made US anymore, not been since manufacturers found could out country for less than half cost of here, that will not ever change unless the buyers fail to repurchase, in numbers. Profit is the big motive, engineer it thinner, cheaper, less effort to produce and give a hang as to warranty repairs as the profit thru continuous turnover of machines makes it worth that. Warranty gets too expensive they just stop, building, paying out, begin the excuses of not enough maintenance, driver operator owner abuse and default. We are getting there now, Ford does not stand behind much these days, GM as well where Dodge is working to pressure them out but truth is have to have the money backing them to shove them out of the way or they will be next up harder hit and likely shuttered as was Studebaker or Packard. GM shelved Pontiac, Olds, Saturn disintegrated without support Hummer is fast becoming a memory. They all can end up like that then our Mex or Canuck or the Rice Burners become so much scrap iron and aluminum. Electronics were seen as a cheap alternative to real grade quality, likely here to stay but then again likely to fall apart as did kerosene engines

  4613. #4613Old Doug2021-11-08 07:59

    That wae back when you didnt need 12 different wrench sets and 8 different 3/8 ratchets.

  4614. #4614kshansen2021-11-08 08:51

    I have two Harley Sportsters, a 1988 and a 1992, even back then many parts were marked as "Made in Japan" while the " Real Harley " crowd was looking down their noses at the "Jap Crap" !

  4615. #4615Truck Shop2021-11-08 09:32

    Correct-The buy/built in America is only pandering from the manufactures. When it comes to warranty They pander the hell out of the buyer with crazy claims. Cummins X15 for example if GVW is 80,000 it can run 60,000 miles on a oil change, ***. Overhead adjustments 500,000 miles, ***. Just competing with Detroit for sales. But it's incredible how many buyers believe that crap. When it goes upside down the manufactures thumb through the excuse book why it's your fault and not theirs and flat out wiggle out from covering the issue.

  4616. #4616mekanik2021-11-08 18:20

    My Dad with his Pacific off highway logging truck. It had a Cummins NT380 engine no Jake Brake and no water tank. 16 foot bunks and 4640 diffs. He said it was the worst nightmare of his life. Picture was taken in the late 1960s. I think the truck was a 1965.

  4617. #4617Truck Shop2021-11-08 19:06

    I would imagine it had a refit later on? Thanks for the photo!

  4618. #4618Truck Shop2021-11-08 19:10

    Great photo, thanks for posting.

  4619. #4619Truck Shop2021-11-08 19:21

    I like when people post photos like this about a truck they have for sale. 1984 Pete 359 with a Big Cam II putting out close to 500 HP it says, Ah huh. Been running way hot on the pyro, notice the discolored tan paint where crossover bolts to aftercooler. Just a tad warm.

  4620. #4620crane operator2021-11-08 19:31

    What's the switch thing before the fuel solenoid? Some kind of emergency switch-if no oil pressure/ high temp= it shuts off the fuel? We had a old hewitt system shut down on some cranes I used to run that had shut downs for oil pressure and temp. And yes, its fun to see people's "500 hp" stuff for sale.

  4621. #4621mekanik2021-11-08 19:34

    A Ryton Governor! It was a variable speed governor. They worked well!

  4622. #4622Truck Shop2021-11-08 19:35

    Correct.

  4623. #4623Truck Shop2021-11-08 19:45

    I have a early BCVI CPL676 that I'm going convert to FFC when I start rebuilding it shortly, It has a Ryton Gov. Basically it will be a BCIII when done with 401C jakes.

  4624. #4624crane operator2021-11-08 19:59

    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you as a dodge owner, it was more a response to truck shops "american" truck comments, when they actually aren't american any more- in my mind. I own a little bit of everything myself- including a '01 24v dodge. (I actually don't own any GM products right now- but have in the past) I just find it amusing the guys that are "Rah Rah buy american" (which I try to buy domestic myself as much as I can), and they look down at a honda/toyota/ nissan. When the honda/ toyota/ nissan may be built here, and they are driving a german or french company product built in mexico. I think the loss of domestic manufacturing is a disaster for our country and economy. I'm ashamed to say, but I personally have now developed grades of purchasing. I try to buy made here if at all possible. 2nd tier is canada, Japan, western europe. 3rd tier is mexico, taiwan, korea. Basically democratic trading partners. And if there's absolutely positively no other way, I might buy china, or I might just do without, rather than giving them my money. But its a lot of work to avoid buying their products.

  4625. #4625Truck Shop2021-11-08 20:00

    One you don't see very often unmolested, a 71 small window with a 72 glass hood. Only 300,000 miles with a small cam and 5X4.

  4626. #4626crane operator2021-11-08 20:03

    You guys are a veritable cornucopia of information. So is the ryton used for PTO applications, or is it a early "speed control". Or actually used as both? thanks for the info.

  4627. #4627Truck Shop2021-11-08 20:04

    That is what I was saying C.O. Those rigs really are not American, in name only.

  4628. #4628crane operator2021-11-08 20:11

    That's a good picture petepilot- Looks like it would turn short with that wheelbase and not much hood out front! I wish I had more pictures of some of the first construction work I did, and equipment I had and ran.

  4629. #4629Truck Shop2021-11-08 20:12

    Used as engine load control for pto/wet kit or pump. Under a static situation with a PT pump RPM can climb when throttled up for pto speed. The Ryton will keep at a constant level. The governor in a PT pump is controlled by your throttle pedal, any movement in linkage will cause the governor to raise rpm. And some are used as a high idle. I was trying to remember the name-But it's Teleflex that makes them now.

  4630. #4630petepilot2021-11-08 20:27

    that pic is about 54 yrs old that was the first tractor i bought . lost a carton of pictures during a move thats one of the few old pics. i could find . as far as it turning short it had a 26 " 4 spoke steering wheel and man power to turn it

  4631. #4631skyking12021-11-08 21:41

    Teleflex made all the engine control cables in the plane.

  4632. #4632DB22021-11-08 21:48

    Teleflex Morse made all kinds of throttle and transmission controls

  4633. #4633Truck Shop2021-11-08 21:52

    IIRC they bought out or took over Ryton models.

  4634. #4634Truck Shop2021-11-09 07:44

    @

  4635. #463556wrench2021-11-09 08:28

    Seeing that picture of the old air lift brought back memories. About 45 years ago, a couple of brothers i used to know ran an automotive repair business out of an old rented service garage. The lift had a slow leak underground so they used a 6x6 piece of timber on end beside the column to hold it up. They had a shorter piece of timber to hold it for brake jobs. I used it on a few occasions and would usually forget to use the timber until it started to settle. You wouldn't get away with that at a business nowadays though

  4636. #4636Old Doug2021-11-09 09:14

    There were a lot of those lifts around you had to know when to let off the leaver before it hit the top of its lift. One place i worked had a 2 cylinder one. They had a tall set of stands very handy for changing a axle but its 2 leavers were on the wall 10 feet away so you had to twist your neck around and look over your shoulder to see if it was comeing up even. It was kind of a deal for a 16 year old kid that didnt use it very often.

  4637. #4637Truck Shop2021-11-09 17:19

    Center post lifts. In 1975 the Olds, Caddy & GMC dealer in Ellensburg was having a new model year show. So they thought they would hoist a new Eldorado up. The post lift had a issue and suddenly dropped about a foot after reaching it's max. The Elvis Eldo slipped off and was hanging about 1" off the floor.

  4638. #4638Bluox2021-11-09 17:27

    This picture shows why you don't want to work under a hoist with a talll guy. Bob

  4639. #4639DMiller2021-11-09 19:12

    Used two post air lifts at the ESL IL Garage, raised Line trucks on them and worked from under with the overloaded, Heavy as all get out trucks on the lifts. The worst were the C800 Fords with Eaton Diffs(Offset Pot) and digger derrick assemblies on a corner, everything had a defined 'Lean' but had been working and continued to while I was there.

  4640. #4640Truck Shop2021-11-09 21:54

    Here's a funny one-Looking on craiglist kpr. This one of our old 2014 gliders that was sold and now being resold. Those trucks were all keyed alike-it wouldn't take much for someone to drive this one off, keys still hanging where I zip tied them 4 years ago. It's also low on coolant, out of window wash, and out of power steering fluid {atf}. Dip stick probably shows 2 gal low.

  4641. #464156wrench2021-11-11 08:49

    I've never worked on a truck with an air-ride steering axle. How well do they last on pavement with potholes and how well do they handle ( steer)on asphalt highways with wallowed out driving ruts like are common here on some highways?

  4642. #4642Truck Shop2021-11-11 19:47

    Steers fine, rides good. Bag replacement takes about 10 minutes.

  4643. #4643Truck Shop2021-11-11 20:59

    Kind of korny-but White Bird is long and steep.

  4644. #4644Truck Shop2021-11-11 21:23

    At 3:01 in this video he turn the video to left and you can see part of the old White Bird grade, for those who live east of the Rockies put your seatbelt on.

  4645. #464556wrench2021-11-12 09:31

    Reminds me of some parts of the Coquihalla in BC

  4646. #4646farmerlund2021-11-14 13:47

    Without starting some kind of brand war, what would be your favorite engine for reliability and power. Truck shop? I always liked the 12.7 detroits around the early 90's. I also had a 400 big cam cummins that treated me pretty well for 29 years. I did replace the heads along the way. that thing always started hard when it was cool out.

  4647. #4647Jumbo2021-11-14 15:08

    Not a brand war, just dating myself: 180 Cummins just because it was the first truck I ever drove. It was a 48 Mack L series with a 4x4. That was in 1966. It had 12' bunks and 4' stakes. You could call it an "engineering truck" since you had to drive a stake to measure it's progress up grade. Even empty....

  4648. #4648DMiller2021-11-14 15:50

    I prefer the old Dry Sleeve Maxidyne Bulldogs, damned near to bulletproof even as slugs for power. Mack cabs sucked for room, insulation or styling, were only intended as Work Trucks.

  4649. #4649Truck Shop2021-11-14 16:05

    No brand war. When Detroit dropped the 2 stroke [Mainly because it was a dying market for them, used too much fuel for one}. And developed the Series 50 and 60-[Kept it simple} then refined it to the DDEC III it became the most reliable diesel ever built with electronics and everyone that wasn't. The 12.7 max HP in on highway is 500@ 1600 torque. Not a monster but very reliable. The 14L version did have piston liner issues mainly because too much removed from counter bore area for bigger liners. The 855 Cummins was a good engine but had trouble with piston/liner & cylinder heads leaking. It wasn't till the late 80's when the NT88 engines arrived with the first lower press fit liners that the problem pretty much disappeared. From then on all 855 through the N14 were lower press fit. The N14 was a very good engine for a tire two. Cummins big problem was too many design changes from 86 to 91. The NT88, Formulas, Big Cam VI, New Big Cam VI which included the NT88 and the 444's with STC injection were all guinea pig engines. The Big Cam III were the best of the big cam mechanicals which had Full Flow Cooling. When the Big Cam VI's came out with the Low Flow Cooling to bring up combustion heat that's when things went down hill. For Cat the 7FB and 3ZJ mechanical 400 and CAC 425's were very reliable. After the bugs got worked out of the 5EK and 6TS engines those were all very good engines. My latest project is building what I call the S14-I have a early Big Cam Four engine CPL 676 I have had for some time. The 676 used a high lift cam. One of a few CPL's Cummins built with that cam. The block will be decked, cut for counter bore shims and lower liner area recut for lower press fit liners. Then converted to Full Flow Cooling. It will be completely rebuilt to later N14 specs for machine work and be a full mechanical injection with PT pump and Top Stop injectors. Very reliable and should produce 440 to 450 hp @ 1525 torque.

  4650. #4650skyking12021-11-14 16:14

    That sounds sweet! For my total lack of experience, I am quite happy with the early 325hp Cat I am rocking. I am sure it is not that good on fuel but I don't buy it nor do I drive many miles a year with it.

  4651. #46511693TA2021-11-14 19:09

    Always my favorite: I purchased this 1957 B-61T back in April, 1979 when my 3/4 ton GMC pickup just wasn't heavy enough. Currently rebuilding the old girl with a 1982 E6-350 Mack engine and RTO-14613 transmission. I installed a 3.70 ratio Rockwell SQHP rear rear on Peterbilt "Air Leaf" suspension into new frame rails a few years back after rebuilding everything. Should be a good running truck and If I'd string new air brake lines under it, would start driving again. Always was a good truck the 20+ years I drove it regularly on the original 170hp Mack "Thermodyne" diesel, Mack triplex transmission, and 4.25 ratio Mack rear.

  4652. #4652Jumbo2021-11-14 19:22

    And the other project? What is it's status? That looks like more work in your shop than I would be interested in. Much more ambitious than I am.

  4653. #4653Truck Shop2021-11-14 21:35

    They are still looking for you Dave Miller. lol

  4654. #46541693TA2021-11-14 22:07

    That one is a 1962 B-673 with a concave back panel to the cab. That one was given to me in a kind of "Pay it Forward" type ordeal by a guy I'd not met till he showed up wanting me to have the truck. It has a Mack "Thermodyne" diesel and is factory turbocharged. It runs very well also. I need to install the new brakes on that one too as it sets on jack stands.

  4655. #4655Truck Shop2021-11-15 19:23

    Airflow.

  4656. #4656DMiller2021-11-16 04:26

    Proof of aerodynamics not much good at low speeds, the tilt out venting Windshields still got air at the bottom edges. Love that old Art Deco design though, thanks TS.

  4657. #4657Truck Shop2021-11-16 13:29
  4658. #46581693TA2021-11-16 15:18

    An original magnet from the company which has been on our refrigerator(s) for over 43 years. Had two uncles whom drove for the original Navajo Freight Lines for many years.

  4659. #4659DMiller2021-11-16 18:20

    Current Navajo emblem is female

  4660. #4660DMiller2021-11-16 18:26

    Trying to remember the actress name it reminds me of, So bad with names!!

  4661. #4661DB22021-11-16 19:52

    Soon to be replaced by something less offensive. Likely LBQGHT friendly.

  4662. #46621693TA2021-11-17 07:47

    Uncles both told me Navajo was a good company to work for in the 50's and 60's. Was going downhill however. One went to Yellow Freight Systems rising to running their safety and accident investigation operations, the other working for McLean Freight, and leaving to drive for Strickland Freight running closer to home between St. Louis and Chicago predominantly. Original Navajo Freight Lines tractors and trailers were a light turquoise color.

  4663. #4663crane operator2021-11-18 18:25

    Mack for sale, and the interior picture has me slightly confused. Super shifter? Or does this guy have some deformed hand/ finger arrangement that only this grip enables him to change gears? Is there some super trucker lingo for this set up? And how exactly are you supposed to get ahold of this?

  4664. #4664DMiller2021-11-18 18:55

    Idiot Stick!!

  4665. #4665JPV2021-11-18 19:28

    I don't know about the grip but I love those old range shift valves hose clamped to the shifter. I have always wanted to get one to put in my pickup just to play with for some reason.

  4666. #4666crane operator2021-11-18 19:51

    I didn't know they were rare. I have several, that are operational in trucks we drive. More than one may have electrical tape on it.

  4667. #46671693TA2021-11-18 20:00

    They are still available new both OEM from Eaton, and aftermarket. I think OEM is about $30.00 and aftermarket is about 1/2 that.

  4668. #4668Truck Shop2021-11-18 21:38

    It's new age trucker crap, what is deformed is between his ears. No different than the black op's pickups. Black with black wheels, black taillights dark windows. A fad. There was nothing left for people to collect, old cars, pickups and motorcycles became old hat. So they invaded the class eight market. 80% have never driven a truck for a living and really have no idea how cantankerous the old trucks really were. But that doesn't matter it's all about looking coooooooooool.

  4669. #4669Birken Vogt2021-11-18 22:34

    Don't some twin stick trucks have one each of both those style handles on each lever? So put them both on the same stick I guess. Unless it is a 13 speed and one of them controls the splitter somehow.

  4670. #4670skyking12021-11-18 23:52

    There is nothing coooool about how my back feels after only 7 hours or so in the dump truck. We are in a race to retirement, TS

  4671. #4671DMiller2021-11-19 03:31

    Different knobs on multiple shifters was to know which control was which without looking, much as some derrick and truck cranes were or crane remotes were.

  4672. #46721693TA2021-11-19 06:22

    Most of the twin stick trucks I've been around have just a single ball on the end of the shifter. Four of my Mack tractors are that way. They don't have any air selectors as there is nothing pneumatic to their operation.

  4673. #4673DMiller2021-11-19 06:32

    Old Triplex and Duplex Macks I worked had ball knobs but the old 5&4 or 4x4 set ups generally had knob on one straight handle the other(brownie). Used to convert well worn out 13spd two and three position knobs that would not hold a repair kit to electrical switches for guys to use for aux lights in pickup trucks!! Been long ago I last did that.

  4674. #46741693TA2021-11-19 06:53

    I remember that two stick setup well also. Was very common but I always liked the balls on both shifters in my truck. I eventually purchased an overdrive rear section and bolted it to the overdrive front section and have a double over tri-plex installed. With the 3.70 ratio on tall rubber, (10.00XR22) it will approach, or go through triple digits, but it's a hair raising experience with a lot of wind. I'm going to change to another tri-plex I have as reverse gear is much too tall to back slowly.

  4675. #4675Truck Shop2021-11-19 07:39

    There was a reason the Fuller Brothers designed the 13spd, twin sticks are obsolete and costly.

  4676. #46761693TA2021-11-19 07:44

    Progression of time, and technology. Now automatic transmissions are replacing manuals. Building a better mousetrap as they say.

  4677. #4677Truck Shop2021-11-19 08:41

    Tell me about AMT's we have 63 of them four the last six years.

  4678. #4678RollOver Pete2021-11-19 09:25

    I had mine plumbed to inflate my air bags. Worked well for about the first 10 years...

  4679. #467956wrench2021-11-19 09:49

    The old 5&4's or 13&4's were popular around here in the old days of mechanical winches but nowadays most if not all, are hyd drive winches used with an 18spd

  4680. #46801693TA2021-11-19 10:03

    Not much winch work around here any longer but you are very correct in a 5&4 with a "Power Tower" was the way to drive a mechanical winch setup. Just as fast, or slow as you needed. It however made for a very crowded cab. Usually there was no passenger comfort to contend with in this type truck. Hydraulic drive has encompassed all this in a much smaller space requirements. I located my winch controls above the winch outside of the cab. You reach through the sliding back window to operate the winch control and/or brake via air cylinder so the cab is unencumbered. It worked slick on the mechanical folding neck trailer I had.

  4681. #4681Truck Shop2021-11-19 13:58

    Unless the auxiliary is at least a twin counter shaft 1241 it won't last with high hp. A rebuilt 1241 is $3,500 average. Then the price of a 6spd main and those ain't cheap. Plus the linkage, mounts, drive shaft and weight. !8spd average $6,500 reman with less maintenance. Plus more saleable.

  4682. #4682Truck Shop2021-11-19 14:23

    This guy went Shark'n with Captain Quint.

  4683. #46831693TA2021-11-22 18:48

    This is my old Mack R-612 with a mechanical Tulsa 100K line pull winch and I still favor this truck heavily: The horizontal bar you see through the windshield is the winch shift/direction lever: In these two photos it is kind of hard to see the winch shifting handle, the pneumatic valve that declutches the winch drum for free spool, and auxiliary valve that controls the winch drum brake band: The truck still has an RTO-12513 transmission installed that I've rebuilt the back end with RTO-14613 parts. It is quiet in operation just as my fresh RTO-14613 for the B-61 is.

  4684. #46841693TA2021-11-23 07:47

    I've been actively looking for an RGN trailer to put this truck back to work. Don't have air ride but I can work around that for the amount of usage it would get. Twice per year combines are the hot commodity for service around here and I could cabbage onto that market easily if I had trailer capacity for it.

  4685. #4685Truck Shop2021-11-23 12:20
  4686. #468659 North2021-11-23 15:56

    Must be an interesting story about the route, hauling logs thru a tunnel. Looks like a chain drive KW in the center picture?

  4687. #4687Truck Shop2021-11-23 16:18

    Old rail tunnels {Gillian Tunnels, New Mexico}.

  4688. #4688renovator2021-11-23 19:34

    I have lived in New Mexico all my life. I've done a fair amount of trucking and even worked in lumber industry for a bit and that's the first I've heard of those tunnels. I feel a road trip coming on.

  4689. #4689Truck Shop2021-11-23 19:59

    I wrote that wrong {Gilman Tunnels not Gillian}. https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/7285-gilman-tunnels.html

  4690. #4690Truck Shop2021-11-25 19:41
  4691. #4691DB22021-11-25 19:53

    I love the stack through the middle of the hood on the last one. More like a dozer or loader. The second one coming out of the tunnel I mean.

  4692. #4692Truck Shop2021-11-25 21:47

    Winter some year back, Oh how I just can't wait.

  4693. #4693d9gdon2021-11-27 21:07

    I happened on it one day just cruising around on a weekend trip over the mountain from Los Alamos where I was working on a project. Decided to go up to Jemez Springs and just started driving the back roads. Turned into a neat surprise out in the middle of nowhere, it's really pretty there with the creek running beside the road going to it.

  4694. #4694james van dyk2021-11-27 23:50

    220 with a turbo.

  4695. #4695RollOver Pete2021-11-28 03:55

    Didn't the C 180 have a blower?

  4696. #4696DB22021-11-28 04:05

    What make and model is this one ?

  4697. #4697DMiller2021-11-28 06:06

    KW Bullnose, 1950s, not certain model designation number.

  4698. #4698Truck Shop2021-11-28 07:28

    Yes-Try and find parts for a 180.

  4699. #4699Truck Shop2021-11-28 07:40

    Your basic Kenworth 521 model.

  4700. #4700DMiller2021-11-28 08:11

    Sand plant dredge crane has a H190 cummins, head gasket leaks fast as fill, Cummins tech looked at it, not repairable as NO Parts for a six bolt head H series. Engine to replace is at Sand Plant shop Deere Industrial.

  4701. #4701Truck Shop2021-11-28 10:07

    Diesel Cast West Portland Ore has a head for C180.

  4702. #47021693TA2021-11-28 10:22

    Olson's can make those gaskets if needed and the expense could be justified. If the old one is sent, a new one would come back if they didn't have it on hand. Not bucking for them at all but they've served me well over the years with antique engine gaskets.

  4703. #4703Truck Shop2021-11-28 10:27

    Problem is-it's better to repower if the equipment justifies it.

  4704. #47041693TA2021-11-28 10:38

    Picked up via ebay a set of four new, Dayton wheels mounted and never used 8.25X15LPT tires for my old drop deck last week, so now will be able to have ready spares available. Don't really want any more steel belted tires on this trailer as they tend to explode on their own as they age. In years of late we've only used the trailer for hay work from one field to another amounting to about 75 miles total a year, so not been used on road much but every year a tire explodes whether the trailer is used, or not.

  4705. #47051693TA2021-11-28 10:40

    Yes it is if the equipment is still being worked. Keeping the old stuff operational is still very feasible with a repower and less costly in the future to maintain.

  4706. #4706DMiller2021-11-28 14:17

    Already has the repower, time to update the old gal.

  4707. #47071693TA2021-11-29 08:54

    Small world out there for sure: Those tires I mentioned for my drop deck are now in one of the next small towns over. Turns out the fella whom hauled them 450 miles for me from the point of purchase is the son of a long time customer when I had the body shop operational. I still do some work for the family from time to time and currently have many JD 4020 parts to blast clean for them. I actually installed rust repair rockers, cab corners, and bedsides onto the truck that hauled the tires several years ago. I'm told they are still there and holding up. The tires will be delivered later in the day. I've found a leaking inner hub seal on the drop deck, and a very slow to release R-12 brake valve, so going to address those issues yet this morning also.

  4708. #47081693TA2021-11-29 17:31

    Zippered another tire bringing it up to 120psi from the 70psi it was at. Glad I have a remote chuck and gauge assembly to inflate large tires as that sumbitch was LOUD inside the shop when it come unglued. 2nd of five 18ply "Hankook" branded tires which I installed several years ago that have exploded with no load on. Was hoping one of the aged Dunlop branded tires would have let go as it's a 14ply, older yet, and getting thin on tread life. These Hankook T06 tires are still at about 90% but near or better than 20 years old so no real loss due to aging. The R-12 relay valve is replaced and brake release operation is now normal. The other valve was still dragging the rear brake axle 20 seconds after the brake, or treadle valve was released in the cab. Brake application was immediate, but release was far too slow. I had one of these in my cabinet so no problems there. Inner "Stemco" seal leakage has saturated the brake shoes. Don't know if I can clean them up or not but certainly going to try. Mineral spirits followed by a very hot water rinse does wonders for this compromise. I had Lucas synthetic hub oil installed and man is that crap sticky to the bearings. Just like it's supposed to be I'd wager but it kept the bearings lubricated as there is no damage there I can see. The trailer has Standard Forge axles and kinda getting hard to get parts for at times. I had these shoes relined about four years ago as they had no cores to build up.

  4709. #4709DMiller2021-11-29 17:51

    Had not Heard Std Forge in like FOREVER!!

  4710. #4710crane operator2021-11-29 18:38

    1951 GMC with a 4-71

  4711. #47111693TA2021-11-29 18:54

    New and cheap round, black, full of air cruising tires on Dayton wheels. Blown Hankook T06 on the left. I done wrapped the wheel end in plastic and put the trailer out back of the shop so no photos. Got some hauling to do for the implement dealer tomorrow so don't quite know if'n I'll get back onto it tomorrow or not. I need to get my aqueous parts washer fired up and up to temperature tomorrow morning. It takes a couple of hours to get just below steam, but puts out very clean parts.

  4712. #47121693TA2021-11-29 19:06

    Oh I know it. Used to be so common too. This trailer is a shop built unit from a much older than titled trailer, (Brown, I think) but has sure been a good one. No spring brakes so got to be sure to block the wheels before backing under it or it really likes to take off. I need to flip it over on it's back and replace the tension strip on the bottom beams, (3/4"X4") as the rust is spreading this apart. I only purchased the steel about 15 years ago for the task. Also the old "Hutch" suspension needs some rust attention in the hangers. I have everything new, just lack the motivation to do anything about it. That old age "Maybe Tomorrow" type attitude.

  4713. #4713Truck Shop2021-11-29 19:33

    Not to **** anyone off but this thread is mainly for antique and newer trucks along with old advertisements for some equipment but mainly trucks. Trucks posted for sale on Truck Paper or Craigslist are ok too. But posts about personal trucks and the daily work or tasks to repair them need their own thread, please.

  4714. #47141693TA2021-11-29 20:26

    If my posts are in error as far as location feel free to relocate them proper. No harm, no foul there.

  4715. #4715Truck Shop2021-11-29 20:34

    No just carry on and post photos you have of old trucks and shovels. Or old stories of someone you knew in the trucking business.

  4716. #4716Truck Shop2021-11-29 21:17

    An old Corbet with lowboy.

  4717. #4717Old Doug2021-11-30 09:02

    There was a guy that had a GMC like this one that pulled a 3 axle livestock trailer. He brought horses to the amish . I cant remember were he was from but it was over 600 miles away. The truck was in good shape but had never been painted and had very little paint left it always had a logchain hanging from its front hooks. There was another at a junk yard i went to often i ask the owner about it but never got a price i never seemed to have any spare cash at the time any way it had a gas engine.

  4718. #4718Crummy2021-11-30 09:07

    That chrome nose on the '51 would make a nice fireplace mantle.

  4719. #471956wrench2021-11-30 10:00

    i know a guy who has a GMC like that one in real nice shape. He bought it at auction when a private truck museum shut down. He wouldn't tell me how much he paid for it though

  4720. #4720Truck Shop2021-11-30 14:00

    Just a $1.98

  4721. #4721DMiller2021-11-30 19:07

    Old Prime Mover on that Lowboy may have been a Allis product if was original as a PM. Tractor make??

  4722. #4722Truck Shop2021-11-30 19:28

    I wonder where that horse **** name prime mover came from. Back then it was just a truck.

  4723. #4723DMiller2021-11-30 19:56

    Guess shoulda read the line as to Lowboy and Corbitt!!!

  4724. #4724Truck Shop2021-11-30 20:45

    Just kidding, but names these days?

  4725. #4725petepilot2021-12-01 01:11

    another example of a prime mover

  4726. #4726DMiller2021-12-01 05:51

    Was speaking of the Mil Tractor PM on the trailer Called those Prime Movers!! By running gear a M8 series, 1950s-ish

  4727. #4727Old Doug2021-12-01 09:22

    That looks like a M8 high speed tractor thats what the winch on my truck came off of.

  4728. #4728Truck Shop2021-12-01 18:50

    One few have ever seen or heard of. 1919 Winther built in Kenosha Wisconsin. Winther built cars and trucks from 1917 to 1927. 3/4 to 7 ton.

  4729. #4729Birken Vogt2021-12-01 23:47
  4730. #47301693TA2021-12-02 10:49

    Continuing on: HeavyEquipmentForums

  4731. #4731scholzee2021-12-03 07:10

    Not very knowledgeable or a truck driver but enjoy this thread and posted this local beauty Elma NY about 1/2 hour south Buffalo NY

  4732. #4732Truck Shop2021-12-03 18:37

    In Denver area.

  4733. #4733Bumpsteer2021-12-03 18:43

    That Oskosh makes my back hurt just looking at it....still a neat rig. Ed

  4734. #4734kshansen2021-12-03 19:37

    Not old but actually pretty new but still an old problem for this low bridge. And yes there are many signs and flashing lights on both sides of this low bridge! Worst thing was a few years back a tall bus hit it and killed a few people. There are signs and flashing lights saying no commercial vehicles.

  4735. #4735Truck Shop2021-12-03 20:54

    People don't look ahead nor do they read. And if they do its distracted driving looking at a text message.

  4736. #4736Truck Shop2021-12-03 21:28

    Little weed hopper.

  4737. #4737catman132021-12-03 23:18

    that truck under the bridge, there is a YouTube channel 11ft 8 in bridge with about 10 years of videos

  4738. #4738Truck Shop2021-12-04 07:40
  4739. #4739Pony2021-12-04 07:56

    Now that is cool. Fugly, but cool.

  4740. #4740Old Doug2021-12-04 10:24

    Its some thing the stuff that was built back then for advertising.

  4741. #4741crane operator2021-12-04 11:38

    https://www.auctiontime.com/listings/trucks/auctions/online/209603477/1955-mack-b70 1955 mack mechanic truck. 8v71 jakes 13speed. Auction ends Dec. 15- get your wife what she's always wanted for christmas.

  4742. #4742DB22021-12-04 13:10

    I was gonna post that ! All I would do is put matching aluminum wheels up front.

  4743. #47431693TA2021-12-04 13:21

    That has the heavier steer axle under it so the complete assembly would need changed as finding parts..... Don't know if that stretched hood and nose are original to the truck but Mack did produce much the same for the B series with a Cummins engine installed. I have photos of one from a truck show several years ago I'll see if I can find.

  4744. #4744Truck Shop2021-12-04 18:12

    That's A B71 which was produced from 56 up. A 56 below. Built to hold a 220 Cummins.

  4745. #47451693TA2021-12-04 18:29

    I was thinking B-71 but wanted to be certain before posting. That truck looks familiar but I cannot place it.

  4746. #4746DMiller2021-12-04 18:31

    Does have the Budd Hub front axle that other truck needs!

  4747. #47471693TA2021-12-04 18:37

    Kinda like this:

  4748. #4748Truck Shop2021-12-04 18:38

    It sets about 2.8 miles from my house. Has a 9 Speed Overgear with 226,000 original miles.

  4749. #47491693TA2021-12-04 18:39

    Good transmission. I have the same in my 1962 B-673ST.

  4750. #4750Truck Shop2021-12-04 18:56

    This very rare 1960 Freightliner prototype finally sold this week, going to Mike Gully in Quincy Illinois. Gulley Transport. I talked to the original owner twice about this truck and his years owning it, he bought it new from Freightliner in early 61. The first two built were in 1960 and this was #2, There were 14 to 16 built up through 1965, all prototypes built by Freightliner themselves White owned them at the time but was not included in these prototypes. It has 1.3 million on it with the original Cummins 250 engine block and Williams exhaust brake. Note the front frame horn mounted steering gear probably one of the earliest designs in trucks. Ron Ely the original owner hauled mainly produce with it and pulled a flat hauling apples and watermelons. I have known about this truck for 40 years plus. IIRC there are only two left.

  4751. #4751Truck Shop2021-12-04 18:59
  4752. #4752mekanik2021-12-04 19:09

    That a real jewel! I have not seen a Gemmer steering box in decades. I rebuilt a lot of them in the 1980s. That is manual steering so the Gemmer box would be eleven turns from lock to lock.

  4753. #4753Truck Shop2021-12-04 19:13

    And apparently someone is looking to buy this 1938 Kenworth bus, Only one other known to exist. It was powered by a pancake Cummins. I estimate $500,000 plus to restore, she's pretty rough and most parts will have to be custom built. The photos above and these are mine.

  4754. #47541693TA2021-12-04 19:16

    Mike Gully is about as die hard Freightliner as you'll ever find. I have a "Gemmer" steering gear on my 72 R-685 Mack. Gemmer was absorbed or purchased by Ross whom was purchased or absorbed into the TRW corporation.

  4755. #4755Truck Shop2021-12-04 19:16

    It is also Center Point steering.

  4756. #4756Birken Vogt2021-12-04 19:19

    What is unusual about the 1960 FL? Were they all cabovers then?

  4757. #4757Truck Shop2021-12-04 19:20

    And the TRW is not near as good a steering box as the Ross was. We have TRW failures on a regular basis. Some take a dump in less than 250,000 miles, the Ross was a million mile steering gear.

  4758. #4758Truck Shop2021-12-04 19:22

    Freightliner never produced a conventional except a couple years before. The first FLC's came out in 1973.

  4759. #4759petepilot2021-12-04 20:37

    a 58 DT that i had for short time

  4760. #476059 North2021-12-04 20:46

    Interesting. I wondered what year they where first produced. First one I recall seeing was in early '74. Thought it was unusual as had only seen the COE's before.

  4761. #4761Truck Shop2021-12-04 21:17

    Here is a photo of a rare 1942 Freightliner Conventional, which was limited production. After the big war Freightliner only produced Cabovers, then the prototypes in the early 60's and the first FLC's rolled of the line in fall of 1973 for the 74 model year.

  4762. #4762Truck Shop2021-12-04 21:29

    Now Here is a photo of a rare Arrow Tank Line company built. Arrow used the Freightliner radiator and nose with a KW cab. My photo.

  4763. #4763colson042021-12-05 00:31

    From YouTube:

  4764. #4764DMiller2021-12-05 06:36

    Have no clue how many Gemmer boxes I replaced seals in or adjusted the slack at center on.

  4765. #4765Truck Shop2021-12-05 12:29

    Funny thing is Freightliner produced one of the best looking if not the best for that time and years after. Cleaner lines and contours than the rest. Plus these early conventional trucks were very light compared to other makes.

  4766. #4766skyking12021-12-05 13:13

    I really like those ribs in the roof brow. So much stronger with less thickness of metal.

  4767. #4767mekanik2021-12-05 13:20

    What surprises me is how small the interiors of the cabs of the old trucks were.

  4768. #4768Truck Shop2021-12-05 13:32

    Men weren't as tall or weighed as much on average. Average weight of driver today is 245 lbs, average weight back then 190. A lot of drivers back then were under 6' tall plus they were not packing coolers, 10 changes of clothes, tv sets and other electronic garbage. They put tilt steering in trucks starting late 80's because the steering wheel was wearing holes in their shirts. I have two trucks I have to replace the drivers seat at least every year.

  4769. #4769Truck Shop2021-12-07 21:25

    Construction on RT66.

  4770. #4770Truck Shop2021-12-07 21:25
  4771. #4771crane operator2021-12-07 22:03

    1987 Pete 359, sells on thursday. Current bid is $151,000. And there's a 10% buyers premium. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...ilt-359_Classic-Trucks-Truck_Tractor-Oklahoma

  4772. #4772DMiller2021-12-08 05:47

    Those photos of Rt 66 appear to be around Lebanon MO and the Hooker's Cut. That section of the old road is still there. Pulaski County, Missouri – Heart of the Ozarks – Legends of America Fred Weber became a HUGE Construction Company, owned most of the quarries in and around St Louis over time. FRUCON or Fruin Colnon merged into Fred Weber in the mid 80s sharing facilities and equipment.

  4773. #4773HATCHEQUIP2021-12-08 12:29

    Started out at 10 dolla 40 bids ago

  4774. #4774Truck Shop2021-12-08 14:11

    It's crazy where the market went, some people have lost there minds. I posted a 1986 Pete Extn hood 359 on here a ways back that was probably nicer than that one, it sold for $48,000 and people thought that was crazy.

  4775. #4775Truck Shop2021-12-08 17:30

    This is the one I posted a ways back that sold for $48,000 with fresh cat rebuild, about 18 months ago.

  4776. #4776Truck Shop2021-12-08 19:09

    This 1973 W924 is in good shape with a 1241 aux. Interior isn't beat all to hell and holes drilled in dash. It might seem high but the rails are good with 48,000 lb hendrickson and power steering. The fiberglass looks to be in good condition. Even the fan shroud is in one piece. https://bend.craigslist.org/hvo/d/bend-73-kw-924/7404961504.html

  4777. #4777Truck Shop2021-12-08 19:28

    For the money-not bad as a tractor. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/hvo/d/vancouver-kenworth-w900/7416786787.html

  4778. #4778dieseldog5.92021-12-08 19:51

    Is the Aluminum frame a plus or a minus?

  4779. #4779crane operator2021-12-08 19:56

    1978 KW with 400 big cam and supposedly factory 10 speed + 4 speed auxiliary. Walking beam with double frame. Winch doesn't come with it, but they will throw in a 5th wheel. Runs and drives, $12,000- which seems pretty steep to me, for what it is. I like the looks of the blue KW truckshop.

  4780. #4780Truck Shop2021-12-08 20:05

    Yeah that one looks like the hind wheels of hard luck C.O.

  4781. #4781Truck Shop2021-12-08 20:07

    Depends on what it is being used for. As long as it has been kept clean usually no problem. Trucks ran for years with them.

  4782. #4782Truck Shop2021-12-08 21:28

    After listening to that a couple of times it has to have a 220 Cummins with a back drop exhaust manifold. Unique sound-all there own.

  4783. #4783Truck Shop2021-12-09 21:02

    Widing and Inland, Portland Ore.

  4784. #4784Old Doug2021-12-10 08:37

    They would take less i bet cause the dont like it or they would have cleaned it up. I dont under stand why if you want to sell some thing it needs to look its best.

  4785. #4785Truck Shop2021-12-10 21:17

    A IH West Coast with a rare Ft Wayne cab there were two other cabs also the three man and the comfo vision. The Comfo Vision was DM's favorite. lol

  4786. #4786Truck Shop2021-12-11 20:56

    A link with story behind the Hall Scott V12 Kenworth below. https://www.curbsideclassic.com/blo...XqANQ9ZGga6C0FCY2dqvyPPba0zHYudQEBtqIjiJ0Nafw

  4787. #4787Truck Shop2021-12-12 21:51

    You wouldn't see that signage today or even 50 years ago.

  4788. #4788dieseldog5.92021-12-15 20:04

    Odd set of headlights on the Peterbilt next to the Kenworth with the crane.

  4789. #4789kshansen2021-12-15 20:17

    You sure it's not a bit of an optical illusion as the left light on the Pete is partially blocked by the crane truck fender?

  4790. #4790dieseldog5.92021-12-15 20:23

    I was referring to the lights being in the fender and not mounted to the radiator

  4791. #4791kshansen2021-12-15 20:28

    Not sure not around many Pete's but seems I have seen them like that before.

  4792. #4792Truck Shop2021-12-15 21:35

    There was a company that built those light buckets as a aftermarket option, same company built them for Autocar.

  4793. #4793Truck Shop2021-12-18 19:23

    Another IH with Ft Wayne cab. And truck hauling newspaper.

  4794. #4794Truck Shop2021-12-19 18:57
  4795. #4795Truck Shop2021-12-23 20:54

    A nice illustration.

  4796. #4796Truck Shop2021-12-24 17:38

    My best Pete illustration. I can't hold the pen that steady anymore.

  4797. #4797DMiller2021-12-24 20:17

    Still really enjoy seeing your Pen Work TS. The LJ and LT macks were always a favored truck cab by me, tiny but loved those.

  4798. #4798Truck Shop2021-12-24 20:30

    My best auto, I did this in the late 80's early 90's IIRC. Count the squares in the grille-I thought I was seeing double after while. The best tire pattern I ever accomplished. I can't do that now but it's nice to look back. I'm glad some folks like them. I sent everything I had in prints to Ron G. before his last days {made him happy}.

  4799. #4799farmerlund2021-12-25 10:21

    Serious Question TS. How may pen illustrations Do you have? Have you thought about some sort if book about truck history? Or maybe selling prints. Even a book with all the drawings and a little history would be pretty cool I think. With all the pictures you have and your pen work, I bet the right person and you could put something very interesting together. Let me know when it gets published I will be first in line at the book signing.

  4800. #4800DMiller2021-12-25 10:53

    Maybe Second!!!

  4801. #4801Truck Shop2021-12-25 16:56

    I did at one time think along those lines. I have about 75 IIRC, not all down loaded. Only ones I show are the best ones. The rest are ok but just not willing to display them. I have round filed many that just didn't start correctly or I wasn't enthused with. Books cost a lot and there is only a small number of people who would spend money on such a thing. I had a website some years back, it never produced anything that amounted to much. I had adds in ATHS Wheels of Time, a total waste of money. I got stiffed by several people wanting personals and most that asked said it was too much money. For the time it takes or took to complete one I end up working for about $3.00 an hour. People want instant gratification it's just a fact, they want color and have a I-phone so really my art work is pretty worthless to many. Going back to many discussions on HEF about the shortage of tradesman and people with no skills to speak of, what I do with pen and paper is pretty much a lost art. Illustrators are about extinct, any need for illustrations can be done on a computer in a fraction of the time. So there is not much call for work like mine anymore. Sure I guess some people look but they loose attention very quickly mainly because their I-phone summoned them. I'm not counting my self down it's just reality. My sister is another who has great skill and ability on the art side. She worked in a framing shop, mating and framing photos and some very expensive art work {by notable artist}. But she is magnificent a piano player. Truly can play anything very well but her ability to play boogie woogie is tops. She can play with the best of the best--but she doesn't she keeps it to herself.

  4802. #4802Truck Shop2021-12-25 17:46

    More than likely powered by a Butane burning Hall Scott, Note the tank mounted on frame.

  4803. #4803DMiller2021-12-25 18:01

    All the innovations the Heavy truck industry has tried.

  4804. #4804Truck Shop2021-12-26 07:38
  4805. #4805DMiller2021-12-26 07:56

    And Bigge is still in business!!

  4806. #4806DMiller2021-12-26 08:23

    As to the Butane Mack/Hall Scott, seems what has gone around comes back around as all the heavy industries try compressed gases yet again.. UPS, HOGAN, PTI and numerous others on the roads around here, Fuel Cells mounted behind the cabs, saddle tanks even on UP RR saw a pair of 'Dual Fuel' Locomotives with a CNG tank in between. And then the 1930s 1940s gaseous trucks and cars and tractors photos are still out there, nearly 100 years and still rolls back to front center.

  4807. #4807mekanik2021-12-26 08:53

    I found this old newspaper clipping in a shop in Prince Rupert.

  4808. #4808terex herder2021-12-26 09:04

    The Bigge photo is a coincidence, they have been at it a long time. I just read an OSHA report about the 500 ton stator they dropped in a Arkansas nuke plant a few years ago. In C.O.'s picture of the '78 KW, what is the housing with the air pot on the side of the power divider?

  4809. #4809DMiller2021-12-26 10:19

    That would be the PD Shift mechanism for a Rockwell.

  4810. #4810kshansen2021-12-26 10:19

    I'm assuming you mean this picture? Not sure but due to the location maybe a locking device for power divider? Best I could find right off: Out of an old 1960's Motors Manual! This is for a Timken axle but I'm sure it is close!

  4811. #4811Old Doug2021-12-26 11:34

    I got a letter in the mail that the alternative fuel permit was going way up next year. This has made me think more and more about switching my truck back to gas. If they want you to use clean fuels LP,natural, or electric they shouldnt make you buy a permit they should give you a permit and a tee shirt. I am ether going back to gas or figure out how not to use this truck for half a year so it will be prorated.

  4812. #4812Truck Shop2021-12-26 13:23

    That's a SSHD Rockwell, most power divider interlocks are built into the housings these days.

  4813. #4813Truck Shop2021-12-26 13:26

    Correct DM CNG engines are making a return, history repeats it's self. One big reason no emission equipment.

  4814. #4814mekanik2021-12-26 17:09

    This is the other side of the newspaper clipping. Notice the price of the house at 304 6th ave. This is what its worth today.

  4815. #4815Truck Shop2021-12-26 18:13

    My house was built in 1949 for $6,000, valued today at $325,000 I bought it in 1996 for $99,000. Inflation at it's best.

  4816. #4816DMiller2021-12-26 18:28

    My first house, NOT the Mobeel Homes I lived in, was $69k, 3BR 1 & 3/4 bath, had it to payoff where when sold received $149k and just 15 years later. Second house caught us in a Stagnated market just broke even after 11 years. Current property land price has nearly doubled and house has appraised for 1/4 more than have in it. Grandmother's house, built by Grandfather in '36 for $12,000 total of loan including interest, was sold in 2004 for $67k needing work, flipper rehabbed and sold it for $112k,

  4817. #4817Birken Vogt2021-12-26 19:18

    Any idea where this would have been? From the looks of the trees it could be the Feather River, or even closer to here.

  4818. #4818Truck Shop2021-12-26 19:20

    Don't know BV.

  4819. #4819Old Doug2021-12-27 09:44

    We have a house that we hope to sell this spring. It hasnt be lived in for several years and hasnt had much done to it other than siding. It needs new roofing and a total remodel. I dont know just how far to go on it but i think a new roof would payoff.

  4820. #4820colson042021-12-27 12:36

    Definitely do the roof and repair any roof deck damage. Curb appeal really sells houses. Get the buyer excited when they get out of the car and they won't be looking as hard at any negatives inside.

  4821. #4821Truck Shop2021-12-27 15:30

    People are so desperate around here they will buy a house with the septic tank located under the back corner of house.

  4822. #4822DMiller2021-12-27 17:35

    Houses in Owensville MO that four years ago was a Dead Market are selling in bidding wars, homes that again four years ago damned near had to be given away in the High twenties to low thirties are currently selling Low 90s to High 150ish

  4823. #4823mowingman2021-12-27 17:44

    Yes, housing prices are nuts. We just sold our home in north Texas and bought a retirement home in SE Ohio. The home in Texas was in a hot market and it sold for well over asking price in 36 hours. Luckily, the market in Ohio is not as hot, so we bought a nice home on almost 2 acres for substantially less, and put money in the bank. We were in the Texas house for 10 years, and it tripled in value. How messed up is that? Worked for us though, the Lord was watching over us during this whole move. Believe me, it is not easy to move at 71 years of age, and after being in the same area for 44 years. Jeff

  4824. #4824Old Doug2021-12-27 21:11

    I thought it was headed to every one renting but thats changing.

  4825. #4825skyking12021-12-28 17:33

    It is a Nash, is this old enough? I took the pictures at a friend's stepfather's place in Spokane. The truck is probably still there.

  4826. #482656wrench2021-12-28 18:35

    That's a nice unit. Can't be too many of them around

  4827. #4827Truck Shop2021-12-28 19:55

    Nash suspended truck production from 1929 to 1947, and that truck model was built from 47 possibly to 50. I think most of those were built between 47 and 49. Nash built cars from 1917 to 1957.

  4828. #4828skyking12021-12-28 19:57

    pretty rare truck then.

  4829. #4829Truck Shop2022-01-02 07:21

    1937 KW.

  4830. #4830DMiller2022-01-02 09:10

    That an Early Garrett Motor Freight TS?

  4831. #4831Truck Shop2022-01-02 15:47

    The name is just a coincidence, the front box is a early form of refrigeration. Garrett was dry freight. That Kenworth is a 1937/38, model 241-C. C for Cummins, there was also the 241-A for Hall Scott. The reason I say it's a C model is the wheel base, 174" to 228". The gassers were less. But it was a rare bird in those days because diesel didn't really catch on till WWII. Kenworth first powered with Cummins diesel engines in 1935 and that market struggled. Gas was cheap and parts could be had for most any gas engine in every town I think that engine would have been the H6 only 125 hp 707 cu. in.. Intake and exhaust manifolds both on right side of engine. One pictured below. In 1938 There were some offered with Hall Scott with the longer WB.

  4832. #4832Truck Shop2022-01-02 15:50
  4833. #4833DMiller2022-01-02 17:03

    Early version Double Disc Pump[SHUDDER], makes my arms ache thinking of dragging that out a Gull Wing Hood!!!

  4834. #4834Truck Shop2022-01-02 17:05

    A lot to be said for a tilt hood huh.

  4835. #4835DMiller2022-01-02 17:05

    You got it!!

  4836. #4836Truck Shop2022-01-02 17:08

    Try working on this elongated turd, a total p.o.s. to work on.

  4837. #4837DMiller2022-01-02 17:09

    LOL!! And YOU Built that!!

  4838. #4838Truck Shop2022-01-02 17:12

    Yes I did-And what a pile of **** it is.

  4839. #4839James Sorochan2022-01-03 21:27

    Nice looking " pile of ****"

  4840. #4840DMiller2022-01-04 06:41

    Frankenstein MAFREIGHTLICK!! I still LIKE IT!!!

  4841. #4841Truck Shop2022-01-05 19:52

    How many of you ever seen one of these? Powered dolly-I have seen one back in 1972.

  4842. #4842DMiller2022-01-05 19:54

    Not ever seen one!

  4843. #4843skyking12022-01-05 21:15

    never ever before. I see that and think "operator error" ended that idea quick.

  4844. #4844Truck Shop2022-01-05 21:17

    It would have been great on freezing rain.

  4845. #4845skyking12022-01-05 21:50

    They had two engined Wabco scrapers up at the coal mine for stripping overburden. One of the catskinners I worked with told stories of meeting your buddy on the slick haul road, and mashing the rear engine throttle (Imagine a split pedal ) and deliberately wagging the ass end over into his lane for giggles. That is what the contraption above brought to mind.

  4846. #4846petepilot2022-01-05 22:16

    never seen a powered dolly but I have seen a sow bellied bull wagon with power to to the trailer wheels

  4847. #4847Truck Shop2022-01-09 20:10

    Los Angles Seattle Motor Freight.

  4848. #4848Bluox2022-01-10 21:21

    Anyone have pictures of the KW or Freightliner half cabs ? Bob

  4849. #4849Truck Shop2022-01-10 21:27

    Pinheads? I have some somewhere. Although I may have weeded them out, I have over 3,000 truck photos in folders and sometimes I forget where something is, actually anymore I can't remember very well.

  4850. #4850Truck Shop2022-01-16 21:46

    Fifthwheel testing part 1.

  4851. #4851DMiller2022-01-17 06:01

    Seems to have held well!!

  4852. #4852Old Doug2022-01-17 10:11

    I read several places were 90% or so nash truck were wreckers. Never saw one but was told there was a guy that had a engine under his trailer to drive one of the axles.

  4853. #485356wrench2022-01-17 10:16

    Was that 'fifthwheel testing part 1' right after or the same time as ' underwear testing' ?

  4854. #4854petepilot2022-01-17 20:36

    I hate doin that test

  4855. #4855Truck Shop2022-01-17 21:09

    Well part 2 of the test is releasing the jaws and you can't use a T hook. But what's unique is all tires are vertical or horizontal, not one tire on the ground. And the glad hands are still emplace, something tells me that driver is in violation for not setting the brakes before he fell out the door.

  4856. #4856skyking12022-01-17 22:19

    I've seen a much milder version of the test on wymer grade in the canyon. The truck was jackknifed going downhill and took out the guardrail, and the left side drivers were all in the air over a very long steep slope to the river. The steers and the trailer were doing a fine job. I don't think he could get out that door

  4857. #485756wrench2022-01-18 14:29

    saw this plow truck flopped in the ditch last night on our way home from Peace River. We had a blizzard for most of the day

  4858. #4858Truck Shop2022-01-18 18:35

    Not something you see often 56.

  4859. #4859James Sorochan2022-01-18 19:18

    It was a fast moving cold front. It was close to 15 degrees C yesterday down here and -15C after it moved through.

  4860. #4860DMiller2022-01-18 20:05

    Almost 50 here today snow nearly all gone and temps to drop back to single digits by tomorrow night

  4861. #48614x4ford2022-01-18 23:48

    Saw a yard dog do that test with a load of brand new engines at the gm plant in wentzville 2yrs ago caused a full shut down as he blocked about half of their receiving doors

  4862. #4862Truck Shop2022-02-03 19:27

    Finished rebuilding this mess, pre-oiled and test fired today. 42 lbs oil psi cold which is standard at idle 45 psi at 800 rpm. Tested the jakes work perfect. Will post finished photos tomorrow.

  4863. #4863Truck Shop2022-02-04 19:13

    BCIV 400 CPL 676 converted to full flow cooling. Lower press fit liners with double nie pistons, std mains & std rods, new cam bushings. Inspected cam and followers & reused. Rebuilt accessory drive, compressor, pump and injectors, heads were almost new condition but were disassembled and completely checked over, replaced four exhaust valves and all hand lapped. Jakes disassembled cleaned inspected replaced any worn parts. Oil pump disassembled, checked met standards reused. Oil cooler disassembled inspected resealed. New water pump and new single entry HT3B turbo. Block crankshaft housing bores and rods checked for out of round, crank checked for out of round all {OK}. All seals and gaskets replaced. Test run {runs good} FOR SALE----------------if anyone is interested-install your BC I,II or III aftercooler and your flywheel. Pump set 10% over in fuel and fuel feed in from both ends, approximately 430 to 435 hp.

  4864. #4864DMiller2022-02-04 19:24

    Very smooth and clean work Someone will be Very happy with that.

  4865. #4865farmerlund2022-02-05 15:33

    pPease put some greasy fingerprints on it. thats way to nice.

  4866. #4866Birken Vogt2022-02-05 16:45

    I thought hand lapping was out of fashion on anything after 1950 because the expansion of materials would cause the contact patch to be in a different spot than when it was lapped cold? Did you make your own tag there? Try to help the next guy know what is inside it?

  4867. #4867Truck Shop2022-02-05 17:48

    That hand lap idea is a fallacy. Lapping is done to remove any imperfections from seat and valve face. The valve stem clearance allows some movement on the seat anyway. You can't and haven't been able to buy blank engine data plates from Cummins for quite a while. They have to dyno certify the engine and stamp the tag. So yes I made a data plate to show what it is and crank/block info.

  4868. #4868Truck Shop2022-02-05 17:52

    Washed my hands before working on it. Don't worry the one who buys it will smudge it up installing. Plus after a season in the wheat fields it will be covered in dirt.

  4869. #4869DMiller2022-02-05 18:38

    I did not make a engine data tag for the Cat yet have all the parts used information, Block S/N, Processor Engine Conversion to S/N so when a Tech plugs in it is the one listed not the OE engine but hard parts all fall back to the OE series. Mine is a Frankenmotor now.

  4870. #4870crane operator2022-02-05 19:50

    1972 w9 kenworth, $11,000 big cam- runs and drives but not road ready And a 1973 pete also big cam, runs and drives $13,000

  4871. #4871crane operator2022-02-05 19:52

    1977 w900a big cam, runs and drives $15,000

  4872. #4872crane operator2022-02-05 20:08

    This ones not that old, but its sure up there in price. Its a 1998, KW. Big cat and 18speed. Double steering boxes up front, and spring over walking beam with a tag axle. Its up for auction, and its right now at $71,000. It doesn't sell until the 17th of feb. Better hurry up and get yours finished DMiller- the market is hot right now. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...-Kenworth-W900-Trucks-Truck_Tractor-Minnesota

  4873. #4873Truck Shop2022-02-05 21:03

    DM's finished would bring-$75,000 easy.

  4874. #4874Truck Shop2022-02-05 21:23

    Oh you got 'a have a big big cat. Eaton should have made a 20 X 10 transmission with six shift levers.

  4875. #4875crane operator2022-02-05 21:28

    Don't forget the big drop sunvisor. Have to have your seat on the floor and the shifter on the ceiling, and a 2" gap of glass to see under the visor.

  4876. #4876Truck Shop2022-02-05 21:30

    With chain drive license plate holders too.

  4877. #4877DMiller2022-02-06 06:40

    I am Not quite into all that!!

  4878. #4878Truck Shop2022-02-06 07:26

    Most of these guys just don't get it-Less is more.

  4879. #4879DMiller2022-02-06 08:06

    I still like Simple, basic needs and function. Rubber Floor Mat is convenience to me instead of carpet, nice paint, shines where should components. Time spent dressing one out to a extreme is a waste as does not haul better or necessarily impress anyone but one's self. I do like a FEW accoutrements, just not dangles and bangles everywhere.

  4880. #4880colson042022-02-06 10:07

    That looks exactly like one of our milk hauler's trucks, specs and all. He bought his from North Dakota, was told it was ex-oilfield. They got it home and it wouldn't pull their large tanker worth a damn. They ended up doing a bunch of engine work to it right away, though I never heard exactly what was wrong. Truck pulls a milk tanker daily grossing 150,000+ pounds at the end of the route.

  4881. #4881Truck Shop2022-02-06 11:48

    It's the bangles that will get you, the dangles you can duck.

  4882. #4882Truck Shop2022-02-06 11:50

    Wonder if it dawned on them they are trying to pull too much.

  4883. #4883Birken Vogt2022-02-06 11:52

    I see occasionally out on the super slab, there are Central Asian truckers I think, Pakistan or India I don't know, nothing super special on the outside of the truck but inside there is like a curtain with pom poms hanging from it where a sun visor would go. I don't know how I could drive with something dangling in front of my face and moving about.

  4884. #4884colson042022-02-06 12:27

    Michigan weight laws allow up to 164,000 pounds gross on 11 axles with no permits, provided vehicle is properly plated for weight. When I was a kid, all the milk haulers ran straight trucks. As milk production increased on their routes, milk haulers shifted to tractor/trailers in the 90s. Then as fuel prices crept up in the 2000s, the tanker trailers got bigger and bigger. Our hauler has switched to the biggest tankers he can pull in the last 4 or 5 years and said it has removed about a quarter of his trips, allowing a smaller crew of drivers to get their daily work done.

  4885. #4885Truck Shop2022-02-06 14:21

    I wonder what the road beds look like---that were designed and built how many years ago.

  4886. #4886Truck Shop2022-02-06 14:23

    That's what she said!

  4887. #4887Old Doug2022-02-06 14:44

    There is a concrete plant that set up just a few years ago on a back country blacktop 5 miles from town. What a mess they will be gone some day and there neighbors will still be driving that torn up road.

  4888. #4888Crummy2022-02-07 10:24

    What is it Truck Shop? Round headlights. One piece windshield. DEF or hyd tank?

  4889. #4889Truck Shop2022-02-07 14:16

    It's a Aussie mock up, converted headlights with windshield stone guard and DEF probably a deleted system, pretty common up there.

  4890. #4890crane operator2022-02-07 17:58

    The tank looks like its a def tank converted to hydraulic wet kit. That filter head on the top of the tank looks like the return filter set up a lot of my cranes use. And it looks like a hydraulic hose leading to it. I wouldn't think it would be easy to clean def out enough that I'd want to run hyd in it, but that's just me.

  4891. #4891Truck Shop2022-02-07 18:29

    I wouldn't either C.O. but it has become a common practice. A short 30 gal refer fuel tank makes a nice hydraulic tank.

  4892. #4892Crummy2022-02-07 18:36

    That hood is tall enough you could use it as a garden shed. I thought the T800 high hoods looked tall and short.

  4893. #4893Birken Vogt2022-02-07 21:12

    I have had plastic tanks melt on hydraulics, but I suppose trucks do not usually get as hot as equipment that runs the hyd all day.

  4894. #4894Pony2022-02-07 21:23

    It looks like a New Zealand flag on the hitch.

  4895. #4895Truck Shop2022-02-07 21:34

    Your right.

  4896. #4896Pony2022-02-07 21:36

    It could even be upside down, doesn't that mean everything's gone to ****?

  4897. #4897Bumpsteer2022-02-07 23:53

    This is Michigan...no such thing as to much! Ed

  4898. #4898Truck Shop2022-02-08 15:59

    Does Michigan receive federal highway funds?

  4899. #4899Raildudes dad2022-02-08 19:09

    Yes. Maximum axle weight with 3'6 spacing is 13,000 lbs. Tandem axle is 16,000 per axle. If the axles are 9 feet apart 18,000lbs. We have more crazy axle configurations that you can count.

  4900. #4900Truck Shop2022-02-11 12:52

    SOLD.

  4901. #4901Truck Shop2022-02-19 17:41

    Was looking through a pile of old truck parts this afternoon that a 85 year old guy is trying to clear out. Bought another core engine-Cummins BCII complete, Was a B model cat there but incomplete would get hammered on cores. Steve a friend of mine bought a 48 Kenworth-with odd parts something I or he has ever seen before, It had fiberglass fenders. Pretty rough he can line it up with the other 11 he already has of 50's KW's. But the real cool thing he had was a photo of a 1942 Freightliner conventional log truck {his family was in the logging business from the early 20's through the early 70's. {Pretty Friggin Rare Photo} there are no known working photos of those early Freightliner conventional trucks other than a Consolidated Freight photo of one hooked to a dry van. He said he had to look at home through his old photos because he thought there was a photo of it with a load on it. A 1942 Below.

  4902. #4902Truck Shop2022-02-20 15:19

    Hello-Mike's Towing-Mike speaking, ok be right there.

  4903. #4903Truck Shop2022-02-20 15:37
  4904. #4904DMiller2022-02-20 16:05

    Even equipped with Minnesota Mags!!

  4905. #4905Truck Shop2022-02-20 16:11

    Oh, that's a honey-get a sun tan while you drive.

  4906. #4906DMiller2022-02-20 17:59

    Almost as much glass area as the New Freightliner Cascadias!!

  4907. #4907rayman2022-02-23 20:01

    The Kenworth in post 4889 is in New Zealand. Kiwi flag is very similar to Aus. License plate is LWG949

  4908. #4908Truck Shop2022-02-23 20:03

    Thank You.

  4909. #4909doublewide2022-02-27 17:43

    1964 Ford N750 https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...place_top_picks&referral_story_type=top_picks

  4910. #4910dieseldog5.92022-02-27 17:49

    I saw that truck on facebook this morning, someone did a nice job tuning up a rare beast. I am not a big fan of hauling an RV with a big truck, but this would be my exception.

  4911. #4911Truck Shop2022-02-27 18:25

    If you ever worked on one--------------you would be looking for a can of gas and a match.

  4912. #4912mowingman2022-02-27 20:24

    Not much elbow room under that hood???

  4913. #4913crane operator2022-02-27 20:33

    And with a 3208, you would probably end up under the hood doing something. From the looks of the chrome fifth wheel, they haven't been hauling much with it. I think I'm not their buyer at $40,000. Sure its kind of rare, but I don't really care for how it looks. How do you get into the back seats that are in the bunk? Dive over the console between the front seats?

  4914. #4914Truck Shop2022-02-27 20:48

    I know of three that set in Pasco {Tri Cities} sun rotting, not worth a plug nickle.

  4915. #4915Birken Vogt2022-02-27 21:51

    I knew of one rotting in a horse field, I'll have to go by there and see if it is still there.

  4916. #4916Truck Shop2022-02-27 22:01

    The horses probably tore the mirrors off scratching and chewed the tires off it.

  4917. #4917skyking12022-02-27 23:50

    the last 3208 I was around was a water truck with a spun rod bearing, it barked like a seal at the aquarium.

  4918. #4918DMiller2022-02-28 05:33

    Last N series I worked on was close to 40 years ago, gas 534, exhaust manifolds. Swore at and off since.

  4919. #4919terex herder2022-03-01 13:32

    Saw this old corn binder today.

  4920. #4920DMiller2022-03-01 14:49

    At least not a 190! 230 with likely a 220 or 250 in it

  4921. #4921Truck Shop2022-03-01 19:07

    The 190 is a He Man of a truck with great body lines, beautifully contoured body work. A proud piece of american crap.

  4922. #492256wrench2022-03-02 11:30

    How about that, a cornbinder in the edge of what looks to be corn stubble

  4923. #4923Old Doug2022-03-02 14:16

    I have one i worked on it when the original owner had it. The trans went out then he died i bought it for parts . I will need a match and torch the next time i work on it. If you have something like this truck when you have to work on it go all out replace every thing that could be wrong so you will not be having to work on it all the time.

  4924. #4924Truck Shop2022-03-02 19:46

    There are proper things to do and set up before working on one-dress as a scare crow and stack pumpkins on the top of cab with a few corn stalks leaning against the cab.

  4925. #4925Truck Shop2022-03-20 12:31

    This purple and white 1982 {362 model 110" cab} Pete was one I worked on years ago. Originally owned by Dave and Darrel Johnson aka The Chrome Brothers. It was sold on the Truck Paper site 10 years ago and ended up in Norway and had a hack job done to it then a guy in Holland a custom truck rebuilder ended up with it. All though not the original color he has done a fantastic job restoring it. Pete didn't produce many like this {3408 powered}. The cabs were special to accompany the huge radiator and engine. I had to change the radiator in this truck {it's a real job}. The name of the shop in Holland is Silicone Express.

  4926. #4926Truck Shop2022-03-20 12:41

    A 1985 359 EXTN hood Pete that Silicone Express is restoring in Holland. This guy's paint and body work puts everyone else's to shame. You could Shave in that reflection. That is the straightest panel work I have ever seen on any sleeper or cab. The guy's work is off the charts.

  4927. #4927Truck Shop2022-03-20 12:43

    A few more.

  4928. #4928crane operator2022-03-20 13:38

    Most of the 362's that I see are missing the turn signal/ marker lights, just like the last picture of your post. And cabover prices are through the roof right now. And the 359 looks like everything is new, hoses, wiring and all. Sure is pretty.

  4929. #4929Truck Shop2022-03-20 14:22

    That photo of the 362 in purple was taken after the Chrome Brothers sold it. They kept that truck in absolute top condition, nothing was spared. There driver Dicky took care of it as if it were his own. It had Cat Paw prints on the side of the sleeper, those are not there in that photo. Funny story about that truck, most everyone who lived in the area knew about that rig, except some. I stopped in my favorite watering hole to get a cold one and the owner Ron had a question for me. {You know anybody around here with a purple and white hay truck that goes uphill as fast as on the flat?}. Yes I Do-That be the Chrome Brothers Super Pete with the 3408 and Dicky behind the wheel. {Ron--John Storlie and I were coming back from the Pot Holes Reservoir camping and fishing Sunday afternoon Both of us with campers and towing 18' boats. Climbing the Vantage Grade the wind was blowing at about 20 to 25 MPH. John has a 454 and I have a 460, we had it to the wood doing 45 to 48 mph. I look in my mirror and see this purple truck with a load of hay coming up behind us, I didn't really think much of it till I do a mirror check and this SOB has his left signal on. He PASSED us like we weren't there. *** does he have for power? My reply --A big engine--and he was more than likely at GVW 101,500.

  4930. #4930Truck Shop2022-03-20 15:18

    While HEF was down for updates I found some photos of my old shop and a 1973 Western Star I rebuilt.

  4931. #4931Auctioneerhere2022-03-20 18:37

    https://www.smithsalesco.com/auctio...UsKi3xqgIfmqt54hGZlcK5YJQl5mmGzxBN7H_sQ6iiJD4 Does anyone recognize this Marmon from the Binion Ranch? Although we are selling it, we would love to have a picture of it from back in it's hey day for the new owner.

  4932. #4932Truck Shop2022-03-20 19:09

    never seen it before. not many marmon coe's around here.

  4933. #4933DMiller2022-03-21 17:33

    Scarce as Hen's teeth around here too, Used to see a larger volume of them in TX, AZ and NM when hauled there.

  4934. #4934mowingman2022-03-21 17:49

    I used to see a lot of cabover Marmons in north central Texas. Last one I saw in use there, was a really old Marmon cabover that hauled feed and grain for a feed store in Denton, Tx. About 10 years ago, the owners parked it and scrapped it out. They only salvaged the engine. I wish I had know it was to be scrapped. It would have been neat to purchase it, as it looked to be in good shape.

  4935. #4935Truck Shop2022-03-21 19:07

    I know where there are two marmon conventional's setting. I never cared for them, look like a box with windows.

  4936. #4936DMiller2022-03-21 19:15

    Not quite as Fugly as a 190 but no class or character.

  4937. #4937doublewide2022-03-21 19:38

    https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:193ed37d-5cf5-4307-86a4-a4a5bab2c641

  4938. #4938Truck Shop2022-03-21 19:49

    Yeah I saw that-Old cab overs with Detroit/Salt Water Chevys is the IN thing to have. But at the price of diesel only a idiot would buy that combo. First-the 2 stroke fires every time the piston comes up and constantly needs to be on the high side of rpm=fuel guzzler. Second operating a truck with the wind resistance and aerodynamics of a sheet of plywood pushing straight into the wind makes for a go broke situation real quick. Two biggest expenses fuel and tires in that order.

  4939. #4939DMiller2022-03-21 19:49

    Did not mind the Transtars I worked on, just HEAVY and somewhat awkward trucks most generally being TIGHT wheelbase as this one, on Dayton Four Spring Suspension, only REALLY bad repair was pulling a radiator out, nearly everything Cab was in the way and then was in no way getting a hoist to lift it.

  4940. #4940Truck Shop2022-03-21 19:53

    The 4070 cab had one big flaw-cracking in the back of cab at mount.

  4941. #4941crane operator2022-03-26 10:59
  4942. #4942crane operator2022-03-26 11:00

    If you can't read the fine print- here it is- And don't ask about the title- you don't need to know Seller's Description 1990 peterbilt 379 If it’s listed it’s available. First come first serve , I will not hold for anyone. For sale as a parts truck as is NO TITLE ( and no I will not get you one)do not ask what the story is on title. I will not respond. If you want a titled truck I’ll get a title and sell it for 30k. No Leins on truck end of story. Runs good Detroit series 60 12.7 15 Eaton transmission Starts and drives with new drive tires low pro 24.5 with only 50 miles on them $15,000 firm

  4943. #4943emmett5182022-03-26 12:18

    What’s the story on the title?

  4944. #4944kshansen2022-03-26 12:43

    Does not sound sketchy at all does it? Would not be surprised to see the same ad listed in several places under different email addresses!

  4945. #4945skyking12022-03-26 12:55

    I want you to part out this stolen truck for me kthxbye.

  4946. #4946crane operator2022-03-26 13:13

    Contact him and ask.

  4947. #4947Truck Shop2022-03-26 20:53

    Sounds like a heel of a deal. Add another drive axle {tridem-didn't like-um}, 4 drop axles, 20lb steer, 1" thick frame rails, 8" side pipes, 750 hp, attachments for tag trailer and fifthwheel, and a 30' dump box. Should be good for a major contractor right down to a land scaping business. Add a crane to the front bumper and load your excavators, skid steers and toro dingos right in the box. Mount all the service truck goodies like tool boxes, welders and torches on top of the cab guard. A all in one for $15,000.

  4948. #4948emmett5182022-03-27 04:54

    Whenever some narcissistic ad orders me around, it’s fun to do the opposite. Or maybe he WANTS me to ask about the title. Reverse psychology.

  4949. #4949DMiller2022-03-27 07:49

    Easy Peasy, get a s/n, call MSHP and request if Stolen, if not turn in for NOT registering the vehicle then trying to sell it to avoid the fine!!! Illegal in MO to sell a machine without Title if still registered in another's name. Scrappers avoid taking ANY complete licensable machines if no title in hand and squirm over bodies without ID numbers on them unless have a shredder.

  4950. #4950Cody danos2022-03-27 11:41
  4951. #4951Old Doug2022-03-27 12:01

    Why would anyone try to sell it without a title . I cant imagine maybe something happen and he is sick of the truck and he dosent want it on the road agin.I learned my lesson i bought a car for the engine from a dealer he was getting the title in his name i told him to trash it nothing special some guys wanted to by it i told him there was no title. He later resold it and it changed hands and every time i would get a call asking about the title.

  4952. #4952Truck Shop2022-03-27 12:18

    The KTA would pull but at a cost-weighed too much front axle with full tanks 11,200 lbs. And fuel mileage was nothing to brag about. Plus the wide Powerliner radiator opening had a tendency to crack out worse than standard cab.

  4953. #495356wrench2022-03-27 12:33

    Can you still get parts for a KTA? I assume if you can, they will be very expensive. The old Steiger Tigers and Versatiles with the KTA engines still bring pretty good money that I have seen.

  4954. #4954mekanik2022-03-27 12:36

    The KTA is now the QSK. A friend has a couple in a boat and they look almost identical to the original KTA engines.

  4955. #4955Truck Shop2022-03-27 14:42

    It is in many ways the same but still only configured for off road industrial use. Parts are expensive as all get out-Cam followers were $2,500 to 3,000 each. A total rebuild runs roughly $50,000 and up.

  4956. #4956crane operator2022-03-27 15:32

    1956 Mack with a 20 speed quadruplex. https://www.equipmentfacts.com/listings/trucks/auctions/212268689/1956-mack-b61t

  4957. #4957crane operator2022-03-27 15:34

    And you can get the trailer too https://www.equipmentfacts.com/listings/trailers/auctions/212292941/1951-fruehauf Listed as a 1951

  4958. #4958Truck Shop2022-03-27 15:43

    Just got to have those chicken sticks.

  4959. #4959DMiller2022-03-27 16:30

    And just for TS Breakfast day at our local VFD Old No 1 and still has the RD450 no muffler Is a R185

  4960. #4960Truck Shop2022-03-27 17:30

    Now that's a American classic design if there ever was one. A beautiful flowing work of art and fine craftsmanship. Built in the heart of America and the heart of Americans in mind!

  4961. #4961skyking12022-03-27 18:52

    It binds the corn, or gets the wrench again.

  4962. #4962DMiller2022-03-27 20:06

    Too fast for the field too slow for the road, Go International. If will not run paint it Red still won’t then Chrome it, Go International!!

  4963. #4963Truck Shop2022-03-27 21:29

    I've driven several corn queens through the years, every time I was looking for a paper sack to put over my head. Tough trucks, just don't care for them, unless it was a RD 402/405. I could have bought this one below. Straight as a pin. 220 with a 5 & 3.

  4964. #4964Truck Shop2022-03-28 13:00
  4965. #4965crane operator2022-03-28 17:41

    I can see that belt drive coming back. Think of the weight and parasitic drag you could save from not having that extra differential and drive axle. That and disc brakes and you'd have a fuel saving, simple to maintain machine. I'm emailing freightliner right now......

  4966. #4966crane operator2022-03-28 17:49

    I got a set waiting on me in N. Dakota, just got to get the boss to get me some vacation time and I'm heading north. I can't wait. Chicken sticks and my big momma CB antenna and I'm going to be supertrucking all over.

  4967. #4967Truck Shop2022-03-28 18:17

    The old school term was {Big Strapper}.

  4968. #4968Truck Shop2022-03-28 18:20

    I notified Freightliner Corp-that there is a Big Strapper about to contact them.

  4969. #4969Truck Shop2022-03-29 19:40

    The blue green style cab is what was used to make this custom 1951 Duplex.

  4970. #4970crane operator2022-03-29 20:53

    '85 gmc general 8v92- could be yours for $3,250 Look at that sparkling engine compartment.

  4971. #4971crane operator2022-03-29 21:14

    More detroit action 1974 c500 with a 6-71. Supposedly a lightweight- double framed dump and seller says it only weighs 20,000? I guess the 6-71 doesn't weigh much but 20 k is pretty light for double frame with dump bed. Especially with 6 spoke daytons and spring over walking beam. Whatever- here's the pictures- they want a little more for it too- $10,500

  4972. #4972DMiller2022-03-29 21:27

    Rubber Block Hendrickson, take the fillings out of your teeth they ride so hard!!! Steel 12 yard where could see that weighing in around 243-25,000, and Gutless to boot.

  4973. #4973Truck Shop2022-03-29 21:30

    Just what everyone needs when fuel prices soar, a engine that fires every time the piston comes up plus needs to constantly run on the high side of rpm. Be the best day when the last one is fed through a shedder/mallet mill.

  4974. #4974colson042022-03-30 19:59

    That truck/ad was listed up here too. He kept lowering the price. Eventually the ad dissapeared.

  4975. #4975Truck Shop2022-03-30 21:33

    Here's a real Niccceeee RDF 402 Corn Queen with a 440 hp BCIII on Pete air leaf. For sale too.

  4976. #4976Old Doug2022-03-31 08:11

    Alot of other countrys run single drive with a tag or pusher axle i wonder how much it saves ?

  4977. #4977DMiller2022-03-31 19:53

    This old beauty just showed up at a local wrench’s shop No idea what year single axle needle nose pete

  4978. #4978Truck Shop2022-03-31 20:45

    Pre 1966, 281-1960 to 1965 I would guess from that distance.

  4979. #4979DMiller2022-04-01 03:55

    Will eventually get closer just was busy hauling clay at this point but managed a short stop before a turn.

  4980. #4980Bumpsteer2022-04-01 14:36

    Recently sold near me 66 Dodge L600, 4 & 2 with I'm guessing a 413. Sweet old truck, but I'm not the one who has to drive it.....lol. Ed

  4981. #4981Truck Shop2022-04-01 17:19

    Those had terrible shift linkage. But would turn on a dime.

  4982. #4982Bumpsteer2022-04-01 20:55

    Forgot..it sold for $5425.00 Ed

  4983. #4983crane operator2022-04-01 21:25

    Old Mack at a local shop.

  4984. #4984DMiller2022-04-02 09:28

    OBVIOUS Wedge Brakes and NO maxi cans!! EDIT, is a B47, could be V8 GAS as no stack either.

  4985. #4985Old Doug2022-04-02 10:03
  4986. #4986Old Doug2022-04-02 10:06
  4987. #4987Old Doug2022-04-02 10:07
  4988. #4988crane operator2022-04-02 21:20

    The 1974 yellow c500 with the 6-71 that I posted up about- for sale for 10,500? Its evidently been sold and is now for sale again, for $14,500. I imagine someone wasn't so ready to love the 6-71. But a $4,000 price increase in a week for a '74 dump truck- is sort of high inflation.

  4989. #4989Old Doug2022-04-03 09:57

    I was having trouble posting yesterday. There was a guy down to Kansas city that had some trucks and stuff on display in a fenced in area that had some of those Dodge L 600 . Its something to see a body that started off to be something else and ended up as something totally different.

  4990. #4990DMiller2022-04-04 16:04

    Did get closer, was asked to not open doors or hoods as latches and hinges are weak Was told Cummins where oil pan confirmed, either 4x4 or 4x3, definitely a top loader diff

  4991. #4991Truck Shop2022-04-04 20:47

    By the size of air cleaner intake/180-C. Vintage 1957 1958.

  4992. #4992Truck Shop2022-04-06 17:31

    I made a tow this morning of the wrecked tractor {12-15-21} to a body/frame shop, took all this time for insurance to give a go ahead. Also spent part of this week stripping out three tractors that are going on the chopping block, probably strip three more next week. Can't find drivers, making nothing setting fence rowed. After several discussions with the owner of what to let go, he decided to down size to roughly 51 tractors. Life in 2022 and the future.

  4993. #4993Delmer2022-04-07 19:56

    https://bid.hansenauctiongroup.com/ui/auctions/77475/7937825 In case anybody's looking for parts... Wisconsin auction link to a trailer made from a solid rubber tire truck rear end, interesting differential, if it's even a differential there.

  4994. #4994Truck Shop2022-04-07 20:10

    There is also a ring gear at each wheel, can't remember who made that. I'll have to look.

  4995. #4995BSAA65LB2022-04-08 07:29
  4996. #4996Old Doug2022-04-08 09:43

    You dont remember from the last one you worked on? I know they did this on tractors but they were higher up from the ground and you cant farm mud very good it wouldnt have been good in the mud.

  4997. #4997Old Doug2022-04-08 09:46

    I looked agin i thought the gears were out next to the rims.

  4998. #4998Truck Shop2022-04-08 17:54

    1977.

  4999. #4999emmett5182022-04-08 17:58

    Holy ****. That looks gorgeous. It’s a work of art!!!!!

  5000. #5000Truck Shop2022-04-08 18:07

    It sold for $87,000 today. On the market two days.

  5001. #5001Truck Shop2022-04-08 18:24

    48 White.

  5002. #5002kshansen2022-04-08 18:33

    What the heck did that red truck have under the hood that needed one that long?

  5003. #5003DMiller2022-04-08 18:52

    Air shift 4 or 5x4 in that White.

  5004. #5004DMiller2022-04-08 18:57

    That cut off frame has the diff still in it, the Axles are exposed behind the cross frame out to the wheels as does not drive wheels from center, shaft gear drives wheel gear.

  5005. #5005Truck Shop2022-04-08 19:19

    I think I said that above. Cummins 855-on a pete frame. A little too long-that's what she said.

  5006. #5006Truck Shop2022-04-08 20:03

    IIRC that drive axle was circa 1907, 1915-Nash or Oneida used a axle like that.

  5007. #5007kshansen2022-04-11 09:46

    Dang with that long of a hood you could mount two 855's end to end!

  5008. #5008petepilot2022-04-11 23:15

    do you know if that truck was ever based in arlington wa.?

  5009. #5009Truck Shop2022-04-12 07:16

    No idea, but it probably came from NW originally.

  5010. #5010petepilot2022-04-12 19:04

    a friend had one very similar but diff color then.lived in arlington

  5011. #5011crane operator2022-04-12 21:28

    Might need to build a doghouse to keep the noise down. Body is pretty straight though. 1962 White Dump Truck · Driven NaN miles NHL 195 Cummins and a 5 speed transmission. Two speed rear axle and air brakes. Solid old truck. Engine is locked up. Complete minus the front bumper and one headlight is broken. Clean Arkansas title. $3,000 obo.

  5012. #5012DMiller2022-04-13 04:57

    White and Corn Queens with angle set engines Were a major PITA to work on or to R&R to work on trying to balance off angle. IIRC are situated 15 degrees laid over.

  5013. #5013kshansen2022-04-13 10:08

    We had an old IH tractor with that slant six Cummins, often wondered if that was borrowed from Chrysler or the other way around? I had a 1964 Plymouth with the slant six for a couple weeks back in late 1960's before brother borrowed it and hit the rear axle of a tractor trailer on his way home from college! Brother survived but Plymouth did not!

  5014. #5014Truck Shop2022-04-16 18:06

    Been a long week. Has snowed, hailed, freezing rain and so on since last Sunday. Spent much time in the tow moving break downs. One to Portland and back bad electrical harness to AMT gear box, which I will change Monday. Another to Spokane and back. But dealing with the office is probably more stressful. One on left below FRTLNR with 35,000 miles on it is wrecked on the Montana/North Dakota border. Pretty well smashed up laying on it's side with a load on {now spoiled} covered with a 15' snow drift. DOT said three weeks before it will be gotten to. Boss whining his butt off-{nothing can be done about it so just let it gooo}.

  5015. #5015DMiller2022-04-16 18:28

    Just Damn!!

  5016. #5016crane operator2022-04-16 19:31

    Glad you made it through. You're going to have to get some help, you can't drive tow truck all night and day, and still get the trucks fixed and out the door.

  5017. #5017cuttin edge2022-04-17 21:55

    Didn't they have something like this You can see the slack adjuster if you zoom in. I remember my uncle had one, and the s cam was really short. I think his might have been a gas job as well. This picture is a different truck, but was just trying to jog my memory

  5018. #5018cuttin edge2022-04-17 21:57

    Is that a peterbilt sleeper?

  5019. #5019DMiller2022-04-18 05:08

    That is what was known as a Rotochamber, piston type with a sliding seal not a diaphragm. The one against the blocks had Wedge chambers tucked in there. They make a replacement for the Roto style called a Maxibrake.

  5020. #5020BSAA65LB2022-04-18 07:38
  5021. #5021cuttin edge2022-04-18 08:22

    Here, we call the double chamber pot a maxi pot or maxi brake. So this rotochamber, the slack adjuster doesn't work an s cam, it's a wedge? Only reason I mentioned it was the picture of the old mack Crane operator posted, if you zoom in, you can see the slack adjuster with what must be a real short s cam. To me a wedge brake has the pot turned 90 degrees facing the wheel. Anything pre 70s is kinda different for me, but I do remember my uncle's old mack

  5022. #5022cuttin edge2022-04-18 09:12

    Mom's brother in law had a logging operation for years. He passed a few years ago, and one of his grand sons revived these 2 old gals that he had kept.

  5023. #5023kshansen2022-04-18 09:46

    Well here is a scan out of an old Motors Manual of a wedge brake, not the best picture but might give the idea. Something similar to this was used on many off-road machines I worked on but with a hydraulic wheel cylinder in place of the air chamber. those used the air over hydraulic master to power them. When they were working right they were good brakes but when they needed maintenance they were crap!

  5024. #502456wrench2022-04-18 09:57

    My old ‘62 chev M80 still has one working Rotochamber brake pot on it but I haven’t seen one on anything else in many years.

  5025. #5025kshansen2022-04-18 10:56

    While on this topic of obsolete brake chambers I'm trying to remember what the ones we had on an old Michigan loader, mid-1960's machine, were called and how they worked. Seem to recall they were not spring actuated but functioned as a parking brake. Think they were worked by applying the foot brake then pushing an air valve on dash to lock them on. Believe there were some rollers in the brake chamber that locked them into position. Then to release them you had to apply the foot valve and release the dash air valve to have the rollers release the parking brake.

  5026. #5026kshansen2022-04-18 11:28

    Took some digging online but thanks to Minnpar's online parts books I found what I was talking about! It's probably been 40 years since I touched those brake chambers!

  5027. #5027Birken Vogt2022-04-18 12:28

    DD3 brakes maybe?

  5028. #5028kshansen2022-04-18 15:31

    Similar but using the roro chamber diaphragm in place of the pancake style diaphragm that the DD-3 uses.

  5029. #5029DMiller2022-04-18 19:01

    I really disliked rebuilding Rotochambers, even in a 40T press made me nervous as to that spring getting loose, had re-diaphragmed DOZENS of Maxi Chambers over the years and was almost ecstatic when arrived to SEALED FOREVER Maxis. MAXIBRAKE Chambers are just renamed Rotochambers.

  5030. #5030emmett5182022-04-19 10:46

    So is that spray stuff the masculine version of my girlfriend's shower gel?

  5031. #5031stinky642022-04-19 18:04

    Back to the old CF equipment again, but as long as I worked there (until the end)I cannot remember a single piece of the 28,000 pieces of equipment in the fleet that I ever wrenched on that had an S-cam, everything tractors,trailers and dollies had wedge brakes,,Brilliant set-up for some place that was always warm and sunny with no salt but up here in the rust belt not such a good idea, we were constantly banging on the self adjusters with a hammer and bar/improvised adjuster to send them down the road with a driver that was actually paying attention to adjustment before he left the yard ...

  5032. #5032Truck Shop2022-04-20 03:19
  5033. #5033Truck Shop2022-04-22 18:40

    Scania 770S--770 hp.

  5034. #5034DMiller2022-04-22 19:01

    And the Triple Nickel as well Nine O Nuthin were British design V8s.

  5035. #5035Truck Shop2022-04-22 19:06

    Have you ever looked at military 903's--400, 500, 660, 750, 800, HP. Blow the doors off any late model anything-plus the 903 is still being built.

  5036. #5036DMiller2022-04-22 19:29

    I still hear the 903s in my Nightmares, rattle rattle thunder clatter Boom Boom Boom, yes they do and did run strong and Yes did work on a few Mil Chassis with Cummins in them. The Bradley is powered by a VTA 90Nothin I have not ever seen that application. STILL Noisy and leak. Mil had to have a Rattling Leaking Mess to replace the retiring 92 series Driptroits.

  5037. #5037DMiller2022-04-22 19:34

    MAIN Sorry memory of one of these was changing the Air Compressor and FIGHTING the two lower nuts both off and back on in a COF4070B Corn Queen, OILY Mess everywhere.

  5038. #5038Truck Shop2022-04-22 19:34

    But still better than a engine that comes from the factory with a emergency shut down flap. Because everyone built has a high potential for going wild.

  5039. #5039LowBoy2022-04-23 06:54

    My daily driver...1978 KW W900A. I jump in it and go anywhere, all the time. One day I'm moving a 525 Cat grapple skidder up into a logging job in northern Maine, couple days later I'm in NC. Then Illinois, then Virginia. I move all equipment within my limits for everyone from a DIY'er to a homeowner, to contractors, dealers, auctions, etc. 40+ years in the field, and still enjoying it every day. I put this truck on the road in April of 2015, fresh off of a 4 month restoration stem to stern. Over the past several years I've upgraded a LOT of things including going from the original 3406A PCTA 375 HP motor, to a used 3406B 400++ that I totally rebuilt a couple years ago. I put a brand new 18918B 18 speed in 2 years ago, and went from 4:33's to 3:90 Eaton gears. Has KW 8 bag air ride. I've got her dialed in beautifully now. Ran the first year with that 375 horse Cat, and no power steering and no a/c. I'm old school but not quite that old school...so I put power steering in it the second year, and swapped motors and all the driveline to make it a pleasurable experience. Also added a Vintage Air a/c system that cools/heats nicely. I big holed the cab and bunk with a Peterbilt Unibilt opening, so I have ample leg room and can recline the seats into the mattress. Monday morning on my birthday, instead of eating cake, I'll be moving a 525 Cat skidder from NH to MA, then shoot over by Delhi, NY to get a Ford 555D TLB going to central MA, then load a new Peterbilt truck on and carry that to Hinkley, Ill. From there a JLG telehandler, and stop in Michigan to throw a military truck on along with it...and head east. Never a dull moment. It's nice to be able to say I still enjoy what I do, after over 40 years of it. Been an interesting ride for sure.

  5040. #5040crane operator2022-04-23 08:14

    Nice KW, and I like that paver special trailer. The no flat deck would have its moments, but I bet the ground clearance over a double drop comes in handy. And inquiring minds want to know- are we running bug catcher or no bug catcher? DMiller's got a big decision coming up for his KW and I want all the info at hand for which way he's going to run.

  5041. #5041crane operator2022-04-23 08:37

    Wheelbase? I got your wheelbase right here.

  5042. #5042Old Doug2022-04-23 09:09

    Can you tell me what that RR car weighs? It looks like some kind of a Caboose.

  5043. #504356wrench2022-04-23 10:15

    Hey CO, I used to have a 1960 GMC 960 like that only with a short gravel box on it. We called it the ‘jackrabbit’

  5044. #5044skyking12022-04-23 10:24

    Sweet ride! My dump truck would like that power train

  5045. #5045crane operator2022-04-24 19:23

    Who needs a school bus conversion when you could have a full double decker? Surely I'll find a gardner mechanic on every corner if I need help?

  5046. #5046DMiller2022-04-24 19:40

    1977 was allowed to assist a OLD mechanic at Mack Trucks STL in removing a bad Differential from a 1950s vintage Double Decker. NOTHING as to new parts existed, required sending the entire Diff BACK to UK for Rebuild as ALL were Hand Built/Hand Fitted and could not even swap from one axle housing to another or install Used parts from another bus, We Tried, NOTHING lined up!!! Worm Drive Differential. Wonder how much is still available for that old Gardner?

  5047. #5047bccat2022-04-24 19:54

    Simple, beautiful engines, worked on them early in my career. Mostly all of them here on the west coast of Canada were Marine engines, quiet slow turning engines would slip fuel. I am pretty sure you still can get parts , Nige would know for sure

  5048. #5048Truck Shop2022-04-24 20:04

    Spent most of free time last four days making new folders and sorting/moving the over 3,400 truck photos I have stored on the PC. Just in KW folders alone are 900 or more. PC is fairly well loaded, but I deleted some 500 plus.

  5049. #5049Nige2022-04-24 20:49

    "L Gardner & Sons, Patricroft, Manchester. The Great British Diesel." Ho yas, you can still get parts for Gardners, and there are people around who know how to rebuild them. You just have to know where to look.

  5050. #5050Nige2022-04-24 21:04

    The bus is a Daimler Fleetline, the engine is probably a 150BHP Gardner 6LX, or could be a 180BHP 6LXB. What type of transmission does it have.? I'd bet it's one of Self-Changing Gears' famous pre-selectors.

  5051. #5051crane operator2022-04-24 22:10

    Well the add said its a 1989 leyland olympian, and I'm not one to argue. For only $45,000 it could be any one of yours! Gotta be able to steer from the wrong side, and the switchgear in that wrong side control platform, looks like the ZF pushbuttons from a grove GMK I used to drive. So I'm guessing german transmission. And how the critter ended up in oklahoma is anyone's guess. And from what I read, the last of the gardner's were early 90's - so its one of the late ones. https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:a5a36eab-6eb4-42ad-9fad-aced99e92936

  5052. #5052crane operator2022-04-24 22:17

    I honestly saw the picture and thought the engine looked like a work of art. You can look at it, and form follows function = beauty, and I can determine how its mostly supposed to work. The website for the current "factory" support - looks like I should be a earl looking for parts for the fhaammly yhact..... Sorry- my uppercrust British accent isn't the best. https://gardnermarine.com/

  5053. #5053crane operator2022-04-24 22:24

    From the Gardner website:

  5054. #5054DMiller2022-04-25 05:32

    Are lovely as a art form Engine but are as my old Allis both farm And construction, orphan machines with parts available to those with deep pockets and a defined interest in spending.

  5055. #5055LowBoy2022-04-25 05:47

    Sorry for the delay. I tried to log in on my phone to reply, but I don't have my password saved on it, only my office computer, so I couldn't reply all weekend, lol. To answer your questions crane operator, I have several trailers in my toolbox. That paver special is a handy dandy one for me, because of the odd deals I get myself into. Lots of non-running things that I drag onto it and can roll off by myself with that inclined plane deck. Sometimes the angle/deck height is an issue, so we switch to the double drop for a nice flat deck @ 22" overall. It is also a stretch trailer; goes from a 28 ft well, to a 50' 5" well. The nice thing about the paver special is it's a hydraulic detach, so in the event that I get high centered on a road crown, I've jumped out with the PTO engaged and raised the trailer up and drove off. I high centered that mechanical detachable stretch trailer down in Tennessee a couple months ago backing into an ol boy's field to load something and I got her hung up pretty good. I carry two 12 ton bottle jacks in the toolbox, so I spent a good 45 minutes jacking and blocking and putting skids under the rails to free myself up finally. Almost had to call a wrecker, but I don't give up without a long, hard fight. As for a bug catcher; I had a nice one on for a few years. (below) I found myself having to constantly sit up high or about stand up when parked at a light or in the road, constantly checking for that chipmunk 4 wheeler trying to inch it's way in front of me to get ahead of me. I had one once do that and didn't see it until I had pushed it broadsided about 100 yards uphill through a busy intersection. Cops knew what happened and just brushed it off. So since then, I am paranoid of having it happen again with all the inattentive and distracted individuals around these days, I opted to remove it. I must say, visibility is much, mush better without it. Looked cool, like it better with it on...but I am a practical guy who has to weigh out options and go from there. It is much more practical for ME anyways, to have it off, lol.

  5056. #5056LowBoy2022-04-25 05:55

    This particular yellow car Old Doug, was a boxcar converted into a caboose. It was a little heavier than the usual ones I move, if I remember correctly, this one weighed in about 36,400 lbs while hanging on the 75 ton rotator's cables, according to it's scale. The trucks (wheel sets) by themselves are another 16k lbs. So all total she weighed in around 52,400 lbs or so. This green one below is a former Green Mountain Railroad caboose, built on the 20's. It was about 34,000 lbs by itself. I moved that last year to a retired GMRR employee's house who purchased it from the RR, and had a piece of rail built alongside his garage so that he could sit up in the house having coffee and look down at it. He said he worked on that caboose back in the 80's, so it has sentimental value.

  5057. #5057Old Doug2022-04-25 10:17

    Thanks that is about what i thought. Happy Birthday

  5058. #5058LowBoy2022-04-25 11:54

    Thanks for the birthday acknowledgement.

  5059. #5059BSAA65LB2022-04-28 08:10

    photo url

  5060. #5060Nige2022-04-29 15:45

    Here's the Irish Gardner connection that will probably be more to your taste. There were lots of Garnders in the Irish fishing fleet back in the day. https://tangentengineering.co.uk/

  5061. #5061BSAA65LB2022-05-04 08:24
  5062. #506256wrench2022-05-04 09:37

    Even the stone scale shack with the chimney is cute

  5063. #5063Old Doug2022-05-04 10:24

    There isnt hardly room in there for a stove. I bet it was very warm in there making the officers want to get outside and do alot of inspections.

  5064. #5064Truck Shop2022-05-04 20:03

    A friend owns this 1951 which has sat now for 25 years. So I decided to tow it to the shop, make repairs needed to make it run and operate safely, clean and polish, and take it to some shows. This particular 1951 was used by Freightliner in calendar/poster ads in the early 90's IIRC. 220 Cummins with a 10spd.

  5065. #5065DB22022-05-04 22:32

    I’ve never seen one of those. Thanks for sharing.

  5066. #5066Birken Vogt2022-05-04 23:14

    Is this something you are doing right now or a past project?

  5067. #5067Truck Shop2022-05-05 07:29

    Currently,--Steve went to Eugene to buy a 3 axle chip trailer, came home from auction with this 1951 instead in 1995. Not very many of these left.

  5068. #5068BSAA65LB2022-05-05 08:00
  5069. #506956wrench2022-05-05 10:10

    Armstrong steering, one with solid tires, the other with a mechanical hoist, 360degree field of view—what’s not to like?

  5070. #5070Tinkerer2022-05-05 14:52

    Does anyone know what year the four wheel drive pictures were taken ? It looks like gas was expensive then.

  5071. #5071Pony2022-05-05 16:01

    Yep, leather seat, fancy spoke mag wheels. She's got all the flash gear.

  5072. #5072Truck Shop2022-05-05 16:08

    That FWD would be a Model B 3 ton with a 4 cylinder Wisconsin engine, circa 1920. So figure 1920 being that one is new. But the solid tire 3 ton was offered as early as 1917 up to 1925.

  5073. #5073JPV2022-05-05 17:04

    That hoist is really cool too, what a neat idea.

  5074. #5074DMiller2022-05-05 17:11

    That one was New, not a lick of grease on the Lift Gearing, all the older ones I have seen in museums were so loaded with grease were like the proverbial drop pf Anti Seize, spreads EVERYWHERE. Can just imagine roads of the day in 1920, catch a rut and that Armstrong Steering could almost launch a driver over the side!!! That solid Tire unit has been around a few blocks!,, Side panel for Engine missing, Add On too box on running board, tires show some considerable edge nicking. Gas Lamps. Bigger Gas reservoir on the Newer one!

  5075. #5075BSAA65LB2022-05-05 20:22

    AC is on anytime you were moving! And driver’s today think they have it tough!

  5076. #5076DMiller2022-05-05 20:58
  5077. #5077Truck Shop2022-05-06 20:00

    Guide sticks on a cabover-this guy wears his underwear on his head-too many fumes.

  5078. #5078crane operator2022-05-06 20:40

    Every truck should have them. Safety first.

  5079. #5079DMiller2022-05-06 21:11

    No guide sticks for me Same as no bug ski ramp just as your wrecker!!

  5080. #5080Truck Shop2022-05-06 22:02

    Lets make sure the forum is PC.

  5081. #50814x4ford2022-05-06 23:10

    Saw a one ton dodge pickup today in North Carolina with chicken sticks on the bumper with spot mirrors tow mirrors flipped out and no trailer lol

  5082. #5082Truck Shop2022-05-07 07:08

    Online vandalism of my photo.

  5083. #5083crane operator2022-05-07 08:19

    Live the dream. Loud pipes saves lives. See a trucker save a trucker. Think about the children. * * Not recommended for young immature viewers. Used without permission from a unknown source. Truck is not intended to be a representation of any actual known trucks in existence real or imaginary. Any emotional violation or triggering that occurs is solely the responsibility of the viewer. Viewing discretion is advised.

  5084. #5084crane operator2022-05-07 08:23

    In other trucking news- I actually do need a set of bumper guides. I've managed in the last week to both bend the bumper of the western star on a mafia block at the quarry, and bend the front passenger step of the liebherr at the railroad. I'm thinking I need to take one of those six week driving courses.

  5085. #5085Old Doug2022-05-07 08:50

    Its funny you can go forever with out a deal then its one after the other. I am extra careful now that i just have a permit. I havnt had to drive through any towns hauling stuff but if i start going to a new place i will i dont like it . I got rear ended one time in this town and a speeding ticket.

  5086. #5086BSAA65LB2022-05-07 09:02

    This was a local truck stop for a long time

  5087. #5087kshansen2022-05-07 09:58

    Wonder if I should mount some guide sticks on my Sportster?

  5088. #5088mekanik2022-05-07 10:40

    I found this newspaper clipping a couple years ago.

  5089. #5089DMiller2022-05-07 16:08

    It is a Empty lot now, yet nearly everyone I know that has been on US 66 US 50 and I44 in the 60s 70s remembers the Diamonds. Just a Memory now. Lost Tables: The Diamonds

  5090. #5090Truck Shop2022-05-08 19:16

    Yesterdays afternoon photos. 1962 Freightliner and a 1955 524.

  5091. #5091DMiller2022-05-08 20:15

    And I see a Rockwell Centerpoint front end, OUCH!!!

  5092. #5092Truck Shop2022-05-08 21:12
  5093. #5093BSAA65LB2022-05-13 09:13
  5094. #5094BSAA65LB2022-05-17 08:58
  5095. #5095Old Doug2022-05-17 09:04

    If there ever was a color a vehicle shouldnt be painted.

  5096. #5096mowingman2022-05-17 09:32

    My uncle was a mechanic at a John Deere dealership for about 35 years. He needed to repaint his mid 70's, Ford pickup. So, guess where he got a good deal on green paint? Yep, John Deere green. It looked awful, that is all I can say about it. Jeff

  5097. #5097Old Doug2022-05-17 10:12

    We have a 195? IH pickup that was owned by a Deer dealer. The paint is faded and dosent look like Deer green but i was looking at it and discovered it was a real nice blue at one time before that i had not thought about them painting it.

  5098. #5098Old Doug2022-05-17 10:19

    My winch truck was a IH dealers truck and they painted it white over the red. The white is coming off buy the time i am done with it it will be back to red i like red . IH had some of the better paint jobs in the 70s . I fixed up and drove it almost 30 years a 1967 GMC pickup . It was silver with a painted grill. From what i know about it it was repainted silver when it was new. I didnt know this until i started to fix it up they did a great job painting every thing. I was going to respray it silver until i found out it was blue i also was going to repaint the grill till i found out it was chrome and in perfect shape. I never saw paint stick to chrome very good but some how they made it happen but stripper took it off easy.

  5099. #5099Truck Shop2022-05-17 15:02

    List of Kenworth starting serial numbers from 1946 to 1955. These are for models in the 500 and 800 series. The 900's didn't start till 1956. So if your looking at one in the weeds and wonder the year, all had a plate on right side of dash, or stamped in center of original bumper, or stamped in right front rail, and some on left hand hood near radiator cap. 56000 Nov 46 57000 June 48 58000 Oct 48 59000 May 50 60000 Feb 51 61000 Jan 52 62000 Feb 53 63000 Feb 54 64000 Mar 55

  5100. #5100Truck Shop2022-05-17 21:17

    The visual differences. 39 to mid 40's the grille surrounds and cross pieces were all one piece. Short grille indicates gas powered. 56 and up 3 piece grille surround. Plus some 500 and 800 real early had a wrought iron grille with thin stamped badge. You can see the differences below. All KW's in those years just looked old.

  5101. #5101Truck Shop2022-05-22 20:11

    Late 30's Shovel Nose KW and a Fageol.

  5102. #5102Truck Shop2022-05-22 20:15
  5103. #5103BSAA65LB2022-05-23 09:12
  5104. #5104Truck Shop2022-05-23 09:46

    That thing above was a sweat box. Engine fan howling constantly, bees and bugs flying in the windshield, when a driver left the yard he weighed 200 lbs by the end of the day 170 lbs. That WB beat him all to hell. The bugs landing in the drivers crotch and seat, he spent a good amount of time swatting insects.

  5105. #5105JPV2022-05-23 21:24

    Anyone been around one of these? It is a 1960 S925, I have never seen another Kenworth like it around here but it sounds like most of them went to Australia. It has a 335 Cummins and a 5 &4, it is going to be restored by the new owner.

  5106. #5106JPV2022-05-23 21:26
  5107. #5107Truck Shop2022-05-23 21:49

    Yes I've seen a few, Yakima years ago. Really what your looking at is the idea for the T600 and T800. A Kenworth engineer that was a neighbor to my brother told me the idea for the T series came from the early S series. It doesn't take much imagination to see it. Nice photos JPV! good find.

  5108. #5108JPV2022-05-24 07:32

    I kind of suspected that TS, makes perfect sense.

  5109. #5109mowingman2022-05-24 07:42

    I saw one of those back in the late 70's. Only one I have ever seen. It was rigged out as a dump truck, and was in rural NW Mississippi. Now, after all these years, I know what it was. Jeff

  5110. #5110Old Doug2022-05-30 08:31

    I sold my Freigtliner this week end . It was a bad deal trying to sell it i pray i got a little smarter from this deal. When i bought it i thought its to good to scrap but it had been setting for a long time and had went down hill. Then it took i think about a year before i got it moved messing with it on and off. I had alot of interest in it but it needed to be hauled and that was a problem for most. I had a guy drive 3 hours to look at it. He wanted it and returned this past week end to get it. His buddy had a drop deck with ramps and a dove tail. I had some thing bad happen just before they came that got my nerves on edge. They were ok guys but were afraid that they couldnt get down the gravel road with there truck so they parked down the road a half mile away on a corner facing down hill. The truck didnt have very good brakes so i said i would drive it . It wouldnt clime up onto the trailer and the after 2 trys i slid it of the rams and got hung up. I got my GMC with the winch and got it free . I told them we need to think this over or its going to get bad. We ended up winching the truck up on to the trailer and it went alot smother. No one got hurt and nothing was torn up and i learned or re learned a thing or two.

  5111. #5111DMiller2022-05-30 13:36

    Single Axle with Single fuel tank Doug??

  5112. #5112Old Doug2022-05-31 09:35

    Its a tandem with one tank.

  5113. #5113Old Doug2022-05-31 09:40

    I should have parted it out and if the guy that bought it had not bought i was going to do but i dont have alot of free time so sellling it whole was the best deal.

  5114. #5114Truck Shop2022-05-31 10:27

    In that photo the rear crossmember hasn't been king-pinned. That's unusual.

  5115. #5115JPV2022-05-31 21:40

    Especially with air ride.

  5116. #5116Truck Shop2022-05-31 21:42

    Here's a eye sore.

  5117. #5117JPV2022-06-01 00:59

    Gives new meaning to this...

  5118. #5118Old Doug2022-06-01 13:02

    The truck had been taken care of most of its life. I never saw a frame of that kind that was so good.

  5119. #5119Truck Shop2022-06-01 20:03

    A 1980 & 81, AutoCar wasn't into styling changes much. looked the same in the 50's. The ink is a 1955.

  5120. #5120DMiller2022-06-02 06:26

    Is a Round Fender A-car near New London MO at a older repair shop. Never moves and likely never will again yet still a testament to the strength of these old beasts. Herders today could not even imagine what many of us dealt with as to inconvenience or Lack of Conveniences, In The Day.

  5121. #5121Old Doug2022-06-02 09:19

    I didnt do it every day but i did help drive trucks home that Dad or his friends bought to resale. Every truck was different and after i got it home chances were i would never drive it agin to practice what i learned some had a pull to one side, the gas peddle ether had a hairpin trigger or was every hard to push, the shifter was very lose making a guessing game out of gear changes the first few times. Heat was a given in the summer and on the wish list in the winter. Rainy weather was a deal every cab leaked some and keeping windows defogged and dry on the inside was a real problem even worse if you were trying to find your way some were you had never been. I like Driving and did it every time i could it made a big difference when i got big enough to reach the peddles.

  5122. #5122Truck Shop2022-06-02 11:42

    When towing years ago I usually ended up driving what ever truck it was back to town in some cases. Broken seats, worn out shift linkage, loose steering, gauges that didn't work, screwed up wipers, bald tires, don't know if brakes are any good. Always seemed that happened during snow storms.

  5123. #5123Truck Shop2022-06-02 17:59

    If anyone on here has any of these marker lights in halfway good condition, there worth $30.00 a piece used. In good condition $40 to $45.00. Used on Kenworth W900 from late 60's to 1982 and some Internationals. No one has them available as NOS or no longer stock. Plus no longer produced. Many places say they have them but really don't. Only place online is Ebay and they posting a price of $150.00 each. Which is robbery.

  5124. #5124DMiller2022-06-02 18:56

    Changed many a bulb behind that Oring retained Lens

  5125. #5125kshansen2022-06-02 19:56

    I'll have to see if I still have the marker light I had out in the barn, don't think it was that style but maybe someone would recognize it. If I recall it was new in the box when I brought it home!

  5126. #5126kshansen2022-06-02 20:22

    Well actually still have it and was able to find it: That thing is 15 inches overall length, chrome plastic even have the mounting gasket and hardware. Believe it is a Do-Ray 2036, if any one has access to information as to what it might fit let me know, probably a generic style to fit many trucks. If anyone would be interested let me know. PS tested and the original lamp does work!

  5127. #5127Truck Shop2022-06-02 20:47

    That style was used on Pete, KW, Freightliner, Autocar, Western Star just to name a few. Those are selling for some stupid money in some cases.

  5128. #5128Birken Vogt2022-06-02 23:22

    That was a Signal-Stat 1300. I broke one off an old early 80s Ford about 20 years ago or so. I noticed that Pierce fire trucks still used them. I was able to get one from Pierce to replace the broken one. It was made by Dominion Auto. I wonder if Pierce still has them. I recently sold an IH with a gull wing hood that had a bunch of those on the cab.

  5129. #5129Truck Shop2022-06-03 00:16

    I think most of the supply has dried up.

  5130. #5130kshansen2022-06-03 05:48

    If you are referring to my Do-Ray 2036 maybe I should put it on E-Bay and ask $100 obo?

  5131. #5131DMiller2022-06-03 06:13

    Gonna have to dig thru my old boxes of crap, may still have a few of the IH stem mounts.

  5132. #5132Old Doug2022-06-03 07:55

    Do you need these i have them on my f600 and i would love to replace them with something lower profile. I just looked out the window and i have them on my IH winch truck and i think there is 2 trucks i am parting with them on them. I think i have some nos that dad bought for some reason. How many would you need?

  5133. #5133Old Doug2022-06-03 08:05

    I dont know how many i have or how good they are.

  5134. #5134Truck Shop2022-06-03 11:28

    I don't need any, I'm just posting because those are hard to get. And don't throw them away. People restoring a W900 are looking for them.

  5135. #5135Old Doug2022-06-03 13:45

    I have some other IH lights there is a guy close by that has alot of IH stuff i may try to sell them to him. I dont like them that good because i am forever driving under tree limbs.

  5136. #5136Truck Shop2022-06-03 19:04

    Late 30's Shovel nose KW.

  5137. #513756wrench2022-06-04 08:59

    Thats quite the jewelry collection hanging from that unit.

  5138. #5138mekanik2022-06-04 09:04

    That vintage truck would have worm gear drive axles.

  5139. #5139Clawed Backster2022-06-07 05:51

    For sale on Craigslist. No, it's not mine, and I don't know the seller. I just thought it is a cool looking old truck. The ad says it has less than 1,000 miles on it.

  5140. #5140Truck Shop2022-06-07 07:40

    Not sure but I think that was for sale before on CL. Plow truck.

  5141. #5141Truck Shop2022-06-12 12:27

    800 series.

  5142. #5142DMiller2022-06-12 13:31

    Always liked the look of the Bullnose Just not working on them.

  5143. #5143Truck Shop2022-06-12 14:30

    The Arrow---Built by Arrow Tank Lines, Arrow like Consolidated Freight built some of their own trucks. Constructed from rare early Freightliner radiator shell/tank and hood combined with a Kenworth cab and in some cases Kenworth fenders. Below are examples of two I know of, some were sold to the public. Both of these I have looked over several times. There are about eight left I know of. The first photo is of a rare complete 1942 Freightliner has stored.

  5144. #5144Truck Shop2022-06-12 14:31
  5145. #5145Truck Shop2022-06-12 14:37

    A cattle truck I rode in back in the early 60's hauling calves to our dairy. Pistoresi's old #11, built in 1956 retired in 1966. And a photo of what's left of it now.

  5146. #5146skyking12022-06-12 17:11

    That's amazing you have kept track of that, Truck Shop. Well done. I love the 4 clearance lights instead of 5.

  5147. #5147Truck Shop2022-06-12 17:51

    Old #11 is what gave me the disease I've had for the last 60 years.

  5148. #5148kshansen2022-06-12 17:57

    Old #11 looks like it has the clearance lights I have one of, so if you need one let me know!

  5149. #5149Truck Shop2022-06-12 18:06

    Certain items have been pilfered like the right spot light, markers are not the same and so on.

  5150. #5150Truck Shop2022-06-19 19:35
  5151. #5151Truck Shop2022-06-26 22:00

    1946 Sterling R160, & IH.

  5152. #5152skyking12022-06-26 22:04

    where is that egg plant? Nice pictures

  5153. #5153Truck Shop2022-06-27 07:02

    Not sure, there were several located around the state.

  5154. #5154Truck Shop2022-06-27 19:26
  5155. #5155DMiller2022-06-27 21:25

    LOL!!

  5156. #5156Truck Shop2022-07-01 22:12
  5157. #5157crane operator2022-07-01 23:25

    Got a lot of faith in their parking brakes.

  5158. #5158Bluox2022-07-01 23:33

    there is one of those left in Winlock Wa. but not that one. Just had egg day last week. Bob

  5159. #5159Truck Shop2022-07-02 00:21

    A--KW like the one in the photo above, your sure?---Reason is that one in the photo above is a rare KW. One item ---notice it has a one piece windshield/flat glass. Only ones built from 1942 to 1946, which means it was built in Yakima Wa during WWII. Or are you talking about the Sterling egg truck.

  5160. #5160skyking12022-07-02 00:24

    I think he's talking egg plant. Not Eggplant or KW

  5161. #5161JPV2022-07-02 00:25

    http://cityofwinlock.com/

  5162. #5162Truck Shop2022-07-02 00:31

    KW's and Sterling's are important--eggs, egg plant and egg plants are not. Don't eat Martian seeds or Black Widow spider sacks.

  5163. #5163Truck Shop2022-07-04 14:24

    Note the scale weight.

  5164. #5164DMiller2022-07-04 15:00

    Ultralight!!

  5165. #5165mitch5042022-07-04 15:13

    Wow, I have a single axle CH Mack, daycab, 144" wheelbase that weighs 12,000 lbs. I thought it was light.

  5166. #5166DMiller2022-07-04 16:53

    Can remember 8664 empty weights on tandems under 15,000, weak backed single rail SWB , could almost get a 1/4 fender between drives and fuel tanks.

  5167. #5167Truck Shop2022-07-04 17:19

    That is what Freightliner built their name on. Years back you would see 281 Pete's pulling Wesco hoppers in the San Joaquin Valley hauling almonds, juice tomato's what ever. Most of those Pete's with hoppers only had a tare of 22,000 or less and were licensed for 78,000.

  5168. #5168Truck Shop2022-07-05 21:20

    All straight piped.

  5169. #5169Birken Vogt2022-07-05 21:28

    What engine? I had no idea that was ever legal or done for highway use. Just absolute cheapness, and lightness, I guess?

  5170. #5170mekanik2022-07-05 21:33

    Cummins NH250?

  5171. #5171Truck Shop2022-07-05 21:35

    Cummins-That's all CF ran in those days.

  5172. #5172Truck Shop2022-07-05 21:39

    Depended were CF based them, those look to be by exterior cab components late 60's early 70's. Out west many had 335's midwest 250's.

  5173. #5173DMiller2022-07-05 21:53

    Chain stowage racks on fuel tanks are a bit sketchy. At one time Turbochargers were legitimized as Exhaust Dampening equipment.

  5174. #5174mekanik2022-07-05 21:57

    They weren't that loud unless they had a Jake brake

  5175. #5175Truck Shop2022-07-05 22:01

    Very few CF's had jakes, mainly ones that ran over mountain ranges. As far as those chain hangers on the saddle tanks that was a CF trademark, they weren't too worried about scratching the tanks, plus easy to remove and replace chains.

  5176. #5176Truck Shop2022-07-05 22:04

    First truck I drove was a CF just like those above. Original 335 with 10 spd 1969 vintage. Pulled a set of wiggle wagons hauling sweet corn then carrots into Twin City Foods in Ellensburg.

  5177. #5177Birken Vogt2022-07-05 22:17

    I looked up one of these models to see what was what and found this one. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...eightliner-6342T-Ag_Trucks-Grain_Truck-Kansas I saw the plate said 6V92 but it is a Cummins in the pictures. I wonder if it got replaced along the way somehow.

  5178. #5178Truck Shop2022-07-06 07:38

    Frtlnrs were common with Detroits, CF ran Cummins to standardize fleet. These auctions sites are full of misprints. That one was not a CF but it was more than likely Cummins powered from day one. Walking beam was installed later in life.

  5179. #5179Birken Vogt2022-07-06 07:59

    This is the specific picture I was looking at, has the build plate and the CF maintenance tag down in the corner, plus the paint colors red white and green.

  5180. #5180kshansen2022-07-06 08:02

    I seem to recall at least one Mack truck we had that cast right in the exhaust housing it said "Sound Dampening Device", or something to that effect. I'm thinking it was the Superliner with the V-8 Mack engine.

  5181. #5181mekanik2022-07-06 08:27

    Years ago I had a Freightliner cab over in the shop for an oil change. The owner was watching me work. I drained the oil and replaced the plug and filter then I opened the little door on the grill and pulled the filler tube out. The owner says "That thing pulls out?" he had been pouring oil in it in the stowed position for years.

  5182. #5182DMiller2022-07-06 08:35

    May have been pert of a initial trial batch of them trying for better economy as 76 was during the BAD oil embargo based years. Lighter than a Cummins 6V TTA was 300(?) hp.

  5183. #5183Birken Vogt2022-07-06 09:42

    I wonder how it came to have the Cummins that it seems to have in it now. That had to be a lot of work swapping over, maybe they had a donor truck.

  5184. #5184Truck Shop2022-07-06 09:53

    Here's the problem BV, that cab more than likey was moved to that truck. It's a thrown together mess of parts. Rear drives don't match build sheet, neither is the length of frame.

  5185. #5185Truck Shop2022-07-06 10:14

    And the other huge problem-notice like all Freightliners of that era the build data plate is on the drivers door. Hell that door more than likely came from a salvage yard.

  5186. #5186Engineer42552022-07-06 12:10

    The red one with the white roof is an old Material Transit truck. They used a lot of Autocars in their time. They owned the ready mix concrete plant, did site work, and Beaver Blacktop. It was a family business, two brothers I believe. They split it up to become Diamond Materials and Harmony Construction.

  5187. #5187Truck Shop2022-07-06 14:33
  5188. #5188Truck Shop2022-07-06 17:50
  5189. #5189mitch5042022-07-06 17:53

    About what year are those KWs?

  5190. #5190Truck Shop2022-07-06 18:03

    1974 to 75.

  5191. #5191Truck Shop2022-07-06 21:54

    900 not a W900A.

  5192. #5192Old Doug2022-07-07 16:08

    This is a buddy of mines IH its hard to say if he improved on the power plant or not.

  5193. #5193Truck Shop2022-07-07 21:03
  5194. #5194Truck Shop2022-07-07 21:04
  5195. #5195mitch5042022-07-08 10:39

    If it had the 345, probably so. If it was the MV404, like mine was, it was a pretty good engine.

  5196. #5196Truck Shop2022-07-08 12:41

    Biggest problem with the 345 type engines was the front cam bearing behind cam gear. The thrust would wipe those out and there went the oil pressure.

  5197. #5197DMiller2022-07-08 12:45

    MV series had issues with breathing, valves were not sufficient size for adequate flow to HP. 446 were some gutless pooches, did have low end torque if enjoyed strolling alongside in a climb reading the paper off the exhaust illumination!!

  5198. #5198Truck Shop2022-07-08 12:52

    That was the Missouri model, no need to hurry there.

  5199. #5199DMiller2022-07-08 14:06

    Only in the 190s!!

  5200. #5200BSAA65LB2022-07-09 08:53
  5201. #5201Clawed Backster2022-07-09 19:27

    Up until a few years ago, there was an OLD looking dude who drove one that looked about like that one. He pulled a pair of flatbeds with it and generally hauled lumber or veneer. Truck was grey, if I remember correctly. Said "Galbreath" on the door, and I think he was based in Springfield Oregon. He looked like he had probably driven that truck since it was new. Any of you remember seeing him or the truck?

  5202. #5202Truck Shop2022-07-09 19:38

    I remember a FRTLNR coe with that on the door. I remember passing him at Rooster Rock.

  5203. #5203Truck Shop2022-07-09 21:50

    Notice this KW has no wing vent windows plus short radiator which means it was gas powered. Wing vents didn't start till late 49. Built some where from 46 to 48. probably a 585 model with a serial number starting either with 56000, 57000 or 58000.

  5204. #5204DMiller2022-07-10 07:35

    No doubt Gas Power, can see the Heat scorch on the last exhaust El, and a brand new truck.

  5205. #5205DMiller2022-07-10 07:37

    Have to ask of pedigree and manufacture of early KW Cabs, are considerably close in appearance to Kelowna Cabs White used, down to transition rolls below door glass.

  5206. #5206Truck Shop2022-07-10 13:28

    KW cabs were all KW design. The funny thing about the old gas/butane engines, especially Hall Scott. Was the tendency to ice the carb and manifold on hard throttle. Even in a ambient temp of a 100*. Those would start losing power and black smoke at the stack. Let off the throttle and in no time the ice would melt/start running right.

  5207. #5207Truck Shop2022-07-10 13:28

    [QUOTE="DMiller, post: 1058369, member: 14603"

  5208. #5208Truck Shop2022-07-10 14:00

    K-11.

  5209. #5209DMiller2022-07-10 14:42

    Curious they placed a Joe Dog coupler in Front, much easier to situate under a trailer that way. Would not have expected such back in those days.

  5210. #5210Truck Shop2022-07-10 18:21

    Actually that was pretty common, could you imagine backing with those 4.5" mirrors.

  5211. #5211Truck Shop2022-07-10 18:39

    Late 30's Shovel Nose KW.

  5212. #5212skyking12022-07-10 19:18

    inline 6's, if they don't have coolant heated intakes are just hanging out there in the breeze and don't get heated much. all that evaporating fuel and air at full wonk does a lot of cooling, I imagine. in aircraft they don't ice so much at full go as they do when you pull the throttle back to idle for descent and landing.

  5213. #5213skyking12022-07-10 19:21

    Thanks I did not know they made trucks in Kelowna. It was all fruit and wineries when we visited in the late 80's, but we had to have driven by the plant.

  5214. #5214DMiller2022-07-10 19:42

    Makes me think on Nitromethane engines. Blow so much fuel thru them they need no coolant, actually run cold, no water pump no radiator no coolant volume, vicious high speed fuel consumers!!

  5215. #5215DMiller2022-07-10 20:24

    The 80s is when it all went to hell. Kelowna Cab was almost as long lived as some Mack Variants.

  5216. #5216kshansen2022-07-10 20:42

    Yea but those nitro burners are only good for short hauls!

  5217. #5217Truck Shop2022-07-10 21:35

    In the one photo Dunn & Reath rail shoots the oil filter off causing flames. Some would argue those engines didn't have oil filters, reason for second photo.

  5218. #5218Truck Shop2022-07-10 22:00

    The total value of all four in todays market?

  5219. #5219DMiller2022-07-11 08:13

    Whole Bunches, and for what is worth, that Sleeper cab C model was a limited run.

  5220. #5220Old Doug2022-07-11 08:31

    I ran alot of chevy 6 cylinders before they stop enforcing speed limits on 2 lane roads i even had one in a F500. One morning i was hauling a load of scrap iron on a a hilly road the engine started pulling down on a hill i down shifted and after a little bit it seemed like it had more power next hill it pulled down but wasnt like a normal run out of power deal . I down shifted and it came back to life. Next hill it done it agin i pulled over the carb was soild white. I thought after that i need to dream up a way to keep this from happening but i wore out 2 engines in that rig and put many miles on other 6 cylinders and never had it happen agin.

  5221. #5221Old Doug2022-07-11 08:34

    That driver had it made AC and all.

  5222. #5222Truck Shop2022-07-11 18:16

    It actually had a run of 10 years. Was first introduced on the H 1000 Ford class 8 cabover from 1961 to 1966. Was offered during that period on the C series up to 1971.

  5223. #5223mowingman2022-07-11 18:37

    While we are on the subject of old Fords, here is one that was at a local car show this weekend. Could not find the owner, so really do not have any info on it. Don't see many of these around nowadays. Jeff

  5224. #5224Truck Shop2022-07-11 18:39

    N Series-Ford sold a lot of those for intercity use. What's that 57 setting next to it?

  5225. #5225mowingman2022-07-11 18:53

    I can't remember. There were nearly 125 old cars and trucks there. They did have some really nicely restored 56 and 57 Chevys though. I think the one behind the truck was a Buick or Oldsmobile.

  5226. #5226skyking12022-07-11 21:57

    LOL that C model sleeper was extra butt-ugly.

  5227. #5227Truck Shop2022-07-11 22:00

    When you look at the Ford H1000 all you see is a great big after thought. Not one fords better efforts.

  5228. #5228skyking12022-07-11 22:13

    I think the C cab is one of the coolest looks, those old PIE trucks from our youth I thought those are cool. Not a fan of COE in general but that was the classic IMO.

  5229. #5229Birken Vogt2022-07-11 22:57

    I think my first ride in a big truck ever was a C series. My dad was driving, I liked the sound of the air brakes and the feeling of moving sideways when turning sharp sitting ahead of the wheels. The park brake was top and center of the dash board, I think it must have been a Sealco valve because you smacked down on it to set the brakes, opposite of the way it is now. I liked the stick shifter and 2 speed rear end and all the busy work of driving. Years later and I still like it but not my cup of tea any more for 5 days a week.

  5230. #5230Old Doug2022-07-12 09:06

    I have one in pretty good shape setting out back i want to save the engine and scrap the rest its one of those EXTRA STEP trucks you have to clime up a extra step to get in and i have to get in and out of my trucks alot so i dont want that. Its going to get torched very soon i will keep the windsheild if its the same as the F cabs?

  5231. #5231Truck Shop2022-07-12 18:19

    Below is a rare B&W photo of a late 39 to 41 KW. It still used the Shovel Nose cab and hood vents with the new grille. The orange/red is a 40, I know the owner.

  5232. #5232crane operator2022-07-12 19:25

    1943 mack - the tag says corps of engineers- so I'm guessing war production for use here. Gas engine, and for sale- $7,500. Says it ran a couple years ago and drove a few miles.

  5233. #5233crane operator2022-07-12 19:27
  5234. #5234Cody danos2022-07-12 19:49

    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/593074148671685/ Overpriced?

  5235. #5235skyking12022-07-12 19:54

    3408 CAT, :Facepalm:

  5236. #5236BSAA65LB2022-07-12 20:42

    This pic is local. Delivery truck at the New Philadelphia Brewery, New Philadelphia OH. Brewery operated under several names from about 1861 thru 1949

  5237. #5237Truck Shop2022-07-12 21:22

    168th one built, numbers start at 1001.

  5238. #5238Truck Shop2022-07-12 21:25

    It's over priced by $90,000 but someone with cash to burn or more money than brains will perform the stupid and buy it.

  5239. #5239Old Doug2022-07-13 08:19

    If it sells its not over priced.

  5240. #5240Truck Shop2022-07-13 12:12

    Over priced is over priced-if it sells it just proves there is a plentiful supply of idiots.

  5241. #5241Cody danos2022-07-13 18:44

    Agreed

  5242. #5242Truck Shop2022-07-13 19:03

    Towed one to La Grande today saw this on the trip.

  5243. #5243skyking12022-07-13 19:14

    wow what a mess. looks like roll roofing and he launched that truck to bend it like that.

  5244. #5244kshansen2022-07-13 19:40

    Don't think that will just buff out!

  5245. #5245Truck Shop2022-07-15 21:22

    1959 T--931 model. rare.

  5246. #5246DMiller2022-07-16 06:47

    Appears as Pete behind that TS, Crude old KW to left. Were still a few DiamondTs running around as I started in the business, did not survive long.

  5247. #5247Truck Shop2022-07-16 20:54

    White bought Diamond T and shut it down then restarted it as Diamond REO in 66 then shut that down in mid 70's. White butchered more companies than you can shake a stick at.

  5248. #5248DMiller2022-07-17 06:28

    My very first employer had a home built 56 Diamond T wrecker, was my job to drive on weekends and after hours as low man. Single axle 4x3 black diamond gas engine, still had fifth wheel beneath the gin poles. Wish I knew where it got to as was in great shape when left that company in 77.

  5249. #5249Truck Shop2022-07-17 18:57

    A 1946 model 585 serial #56789 all in a line. Originally had gas power and note no wing vent windows. What's left after a moron cut the drive axle off trying to make a RV.

  5250. #5250Truck Shop2022-07-18 20:18

    Some Trivia. The modern Bulldog as we know it today started out several centuries back a very different beast. Some really bad ideas involving inbreeding created what we have today and used by Mack Truck as mascot really is a mess. The English Bulldog has to labor to breath and uses a lot of energy to do so plus it's not uncommon for them to be born with a cleft pallet. Because of the dogs odd leg/ torso the dog doesn't float or swim very well and has a propensity to drown. What we know as a rough and tough dog in cartoons--in reality is rather sad. Mack Truck used it as a mascot but I doubt they really knew about the modern Bulldog. Below is a painting of a original Bulldog.

  5251. #5251BSAA65LB2022-07-20 07:53

    Near Bolivar, OH before I-77 was built, someone was having a bad day after leaving the Sohio distribution center

  5252. #5252Old Doug2022-07-20 08:21

    I dont understand why people want to change things around most of the time its not for the good but they cant see that they just see that they made a change.

  5253. #5253Truck Shop2022-07-20 21:13

    Nice old photo depicting a KW shovel nose, funny ad about the batteries.

  5254. #525456wrench2022-07-21 07:20

    I would have thought some mechanic would have invented mudflaps long before those days to help with gravel rash and mud all over everything

  5255. #5255Truck Shop2022-07-25 19:10

    For you dirt & rock fellows.

  5256. #5256DMiller2022-07-25 19:14

    Always liked old Macks

  5257. #5257Truck Shop2022-07-25 20:26

    A early 50's KW with a Sterling cab. Called a Ken-Ling.

  5258. #5258Truck Shop2022-07-25 21:26

    A early shop built Freightways tractor converted for tip up. Basically a Arrow.

  5259. #5259Truck Shop2022-07-26 10:48

    Early 1939 Pete nose married to a Early KW cab, no vent windows. Looks better with the KW cab than a Pete cab.

  5260. #5260DMiller2022-07-26 11:40

    Been Body modifying boys a LONG Time!!!

  5261. #5261Truck Shop2022-07-26 20:49

    A brand new LT, way back when.

  5262. #5262DMiller2022-07-27 06:37

    LJs and LTs were the better looking bulldogs yet looked loke everything else is why I suspect the B was the most constructed.

  5263. #5263BSAA65LB2022-07-30 06:35

    A nother local picture. C. H. Hooker was a local trucking company based in Urichsville, OH. They have gone out of business. When I was young and an apprentice wrench owner, I used to help work on their Mack F models doing warranty work.

  5264. #5264Truck Shop2022-07-30 19:18
  5265. #5265Truck Shop2022-07-30 19:43

    1951 Cummins V12 1486 cu.in. Basically two 743's. With the Kenworth three man cab. Look at the trucks in the back ground.

  5266. #5266Truck Shop2022-08-06 17:20

    Kenworth 803

  5267. #5267kshansen2022-08-06 19:35

    That car, fast back, by the right rear of the truck looks like the old 1950 Buick Special I had on the early 1970's. Bought it of an old lady who I mowed the lawn for, recall I paid $25.00 it had been sitting in her back yard for a couple years. While towing it home behind dad's pick-up decided to put the Dyaflow transmission in gear to see if it would turn over. To my surprise it started to turn over and in a couple seconds was running smooth as can be.

  5268. #5268Truck Shop2022-08-06 19:37

    Straight 8?

  5269. #5269kshansen2022-08-06 19:47

    Yep good old straight 8 really the only reason I got rid of it was the reverse went in the transmission and I did not have the time or place to work on it. It even had hands free starting, just turn on key and push down on the gas peddle, there was a switch on the carb and a relay that engaged the starter. Forgetting what kept it from engaging once it was running, maybe a normally closed relay that worked off the generator output? Or possibly a switch on the transmission to delete the starting circuit when shifted out of neutral. It has been half a century since I saw that car so I'm a bit fuzzy on some details!

  5270. #5270Truck Shop2022-08-06 20:08

    Funny story my first boss told me about that involved one of those Buicks. Happened in the 50's. This guy named Slim that worked in a repair shop in my old home town was working under the dash of a 50 Buick. Had his legs up over the back of the front seat, he was a true bean pole. Anyway he shorted out something under the dash--it fired. He had accidently knocked the shifter into reverse. It left rubber marks as it flew through the garage doors wide open because he was pinned to the floor because it was in reverse holding the throttle down with his shoulder. It shot across main street and through the doors of a machine shop across the street and finally stopped by a 16' machine lathe. which caved in what was left of the ass end of that Buick. Never hit anyone or hit any other cars. Slim had a stutter from childhood---well he really stuttered after that.

  5271. #5271DMiller2022-08-07 08:03

    Not had opportunity to see one of those first hand other than in a museum, spooky. Dad's recollections of the Straight 8s was the rear two cylinders steadily ran Hot and were first to fail in a overheat. Torque Monsters!!

  5272. #5272crane operator2022-08-07 08:11

    The KW cast into the hubs is amazing. How they ever made enough of those axles to justify their own castings is beyond me. But how handy was the passenger door with that exhaust stack? And why couldn't they have put that stack on the other side away from the operator? There's some poor deaf guy in a nursing home with hearing aids, thanks to that 12v71 that was right in his ear for 20 years in a quarry.

  5273. #5273mitch5042022-08-07 10:33

    The "KW" is really just in the covers, not the hub itself, much cheaper, probably.

  5274. #5274kshansen2022-08-07 11:05

    Don't recall having a problem with the overheating. One odd thing was the signal light switch was mounted to the right side of the steering column same side as the shifter. The shift order on the shifter went from park, neutral, drive, low to reverse. One time while brother was driving on I-90 he signaled to pass a slower car then when he was past that car he went to signal to move over to the right. However he grabbed shift lever by mistake and dropped trany in to low while doing about 70 mph! Shortly after that the rear-end developed a whine. About a week later I found a good used rear axle in local junk yard and replaced it!

  5275. #5275Truck Shop2022-08-07 11:37

    There were several versions 801, 802, 803. They should have ran that exhaust stack inside the cab and out the top for winter heat.

  5276. #5276crane operator2022-08-07 12:04

    Always looking out for driver comfort aren't you.

  5277. #5277DMiller2022-08-07 13:17

    Just needs a loose rain rattle to complete

  5278. #5278Truck Shop2022-08-07 14:19

    It's a truck and a large one at that---A tool only. Creature comfort should be on the back burner. We have it too easy these days.

  5279. #5279DMiller2022-08-07 14:31

    Likely that door was for Air flow when Hot, doubt those had AC.

  5280. #5280Truck Shop2022-08-07 14:37

    These folks didn't have A/C-or toilet paper.

  5281. #5281DMiller2022-08-07 18:18

    Sure they did, Wind blowing across those mule butts conditioned LOTS of air and all those lovely coarse shrubs would lift the poop right off a fresh delivery hole!!! Of course would take some hide with the detritus!!

  5282. #5282Truck Shop2022-08-07 18:24

    Nettle has big leaves and works well I'm told. The one thing you left out-those real early day truckers made sure and saved the urine to throw on the wagon wheels to keep them swollen-there wasn't always a stream near by to park them in. And a bag of old corn cobs worked well as a crack file.

  5283. #5283DMiller2022-08-07 19:27

    Have used cob sections, learning experience. Also in winter with power out we used **** pots in the house, was explained were wagon fodder at one time, and heaven knows I have won the Fur Lined unit a few times

  5284. #5284Truck Shop2022-08-11 19:12

    Mid 50's KW prototype pipe hauler for oil fields.

  5285. #5285mitch5042022-08-11 22:54

    That's the one where the pipe layed beside the cab and stuck off the front and back isn't it? Did they ever make it into production?

  5286. #5286mitch5042022-08-11 22:56

    That's the one where the pipe layed beside the cab and stuck off the front and back isn't it? Did they ever make it into production?

  5287. #5287Truck Shop2022-08-12 07:07

    Don't know. International was the main one for hauling pipe and steel known as a {pin head}.

  5288. #5288DMiller2022-08-12 09:23

    Corn Queens and have seen a few GMCs set up that way, barely enough room for a radiator

  5289. #5289Truck Shop2022-08-13 20:56

    A turd I bought this spring for $150. 1956.

  5290. #5290Birken Vogt2022-08-13 22:34

    That's very interesting, I was at a guy's shop last week and saw one almost the same year peeking out from under a bunch of cloths. TS I was going to post it to ask you about this little brake contraption, has to be some kind of park brake. Any other comments you can make about my poor photos. It has 2 air gauges and I wonder what the story is on that. I thought all trucks in the 50s had single air. It has some sort of top loading worm drive axles but the photo did not come out.

  5291. #5291Birken Vogt2022-08-13 22:35

    Last one

  5292. #5292crane operator2022-08-13 23:25

    The long brake can looks like a rotochamber.

  5293. #5293Birken Vogt2022-08-14 00:20

    That long can is much smaller in diameter than a regular can, and there is a regular can on the opposite side of the axle. Also the long skinny can has a very small air line to it.

  5294. #5294DMiller2022-08-14 04:40

    Likely Something aftermarket from back in the day. Someone trying to develop a true parking brake that would hold a truck as most were hand brake sets on a drive line and as such useless in holding them with a load. Old torsion ride, hopefully someone knew how to maintain and boot seals not all destroyed. What was the big plan for the ‘56? Drive train?

  5295. #5295Truck Shop2022-08-14 07:44

    BV, the axles would have been Rockwell or Timken. That's a Westinghouse park brake assist, IIRC. Can't read the vin plate, looks like a 825, so before 1956.

  5296. #5296Truck Shop2022-08-14 07:46

    No plan, just some extra junk to pile with Steve's 7 junk piles. The rare thing about that truck is it has Fiberglass fenders, never seen one that old with those.

  5297. #5297Birken Vogt2022-08-14 09:05

    The plate says CG825C, max speed 51 OD, serial 67758, series AD9. Any comment about the dual air gauges?

  5298. #5298Truck Shop2022-08-14 11:15

    Could have been added or spec-ed with from factory. I have seen several from the 50's early 60's with twin gauges.

  5299. #5299Birken Vogt2022-08-14 11:21

    Forgot to mention, the guy said it has a iron lung 220 Cummins and straight pipes. When I commented that it must be loud, he indicated that loud is not the word to describe it. It goes to shows now and then so maybe I will catch it someday. Cherry red with white stripes.

  5300. #5300Truck Shop2022-08-14 13:28

    With a serial number of 67758 it would have been built after October 1955.

  5301. #5301Truck Shop2022-08-14 13:30

    It would really sound good if it had a drop back exhaust manifold.

  5302. #5302farmerlund2022-08-15 20:54

    I still have a 68' KW W900 with the ser# 110,000, in the shed. Easy to remember. 335 cummins, 13 speed, and heavy duty torsion bar suspension. 46,000lb or something like that.

  5303. #5303Truck Shop2022-08-15 20:56
  5304. #5304Truck Shop2022-08-15 20:58

    Kenworth 884.

  5305. #5305Truck Shop2022-08-15 21:01

    A V8 Cummins-that's 10 years before the 903. 950 cu.in. VT8 430. I know where there is West Coast International with one from factory that still runs.

  5306. #5306mitch5042022-08-16 13:02

    I'd like to have a cabover transtar like in that Harley Davidson pic. That is just like the first tractor-trailer i rode in.

  5307. #5307DMiller2022-08-16 14:01

    Had never seen a VT430

  5308. #5308kshansen2022-08-16 15:02

    Did a quick search and found this: https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/cummins-vt8-430-vt8-460.167630/ Seems one of biggest uses was in tanks for the military, guess if you build it Uncle Sam will buy it! From what I've seen from Ukraine lately some tanks don't need long term durability of engines, at least the Russian built ones!

  5309. #5309DMiller2022-08-16 17:47

    That is why they smoke so terribly, do not care base conditions as do start and run, get into the fight and be sacrificed!!

  5310. #5310Truck Shop2022-08-16 21:07

    1954-55 588 oil field KW.

  5311. #5311BSAA65LB2022-08-17 08:38
  5312. #531256wrench2022-08-17 11:07

    I’m pretty sure you can’t haul a combine on a tandem deck-truck anymore

  5313. #5313kshansen2022-08-17 12:22

    Is that because the tandem deck-trucks are not as good as they used to be or because the combines may be a little larger!

  5314. #5314Truck Shop2022-08-17 18:27

    That's a plot combine for small test plots.

  5315. #5315Truck Shop2022-08-17 19:34

    Herrett-Gem Trucking Sunnyside Wa. When I was a kid more than likely I saw this one on the road.

  5316. #5316BSAA65LB2022-08-18 08:01
  5317. #5317Old Doug2022-08-18 10:54

    I have hauled several on a 20 foot goose neck . But there hard to make work after i torch them up.

  5318. #5318Hank R2022-08-18 19:05

    I was hauling the railways ties and Danny Low was hauling the HD 41B. The White Mustang was in Cranbrook BC. Mid 70's

  5319. #5319Hank R2022-08-18 19:08

    I was hauling the railway ties and Danny Low was hauling the HD 41B. The White Mustang was in Cranbrook BC. Mid 70's.

  5320. #5320Truck Shop2022-08-18 19:11

    Thanks for the photos Hank!

  5321. #5321Hank R2022-08-19 07:33

    Pictures of my Father-in Law trucks he drove back in the day.

  5322. #5322Old Doug2022-08-19 13:12

    I wonder what the point in having doors on a truck that opened different?

  5323. #5323Truck Shop2022-08-19 18:13

    A little more info, was powered by a J series Cummins, try and find parts for that.

  5324. #5324Pony2022-08-19 18:49

    Is that a super wide single on the drive, what's the floatation for, oilfields?

  5325. #5325Truck Shop2022-08-19 19:31

    Correct.

  5326. #5326Hank R2022-08-20 07:45
  5327. #5327colson042022-08-20 08:12

    Do you have any history on that old dump truck?

  5328. #532856wrench2022-08-20 10:45

    . I suspect it was so the door hinges could be spread far enough apart to allow some rigidity to the upper part of the door frame which would not be possible if they were on the leading edge of the door. I am assuming you are referring to the cab-over

  5329. #5329Old Doug2022-08-20 10:51

    This truck has a regular door on the drivers side and a suicide on the passengers.

  5330. #533056wrench2022-08-20 11:26

    Well, so much for that theory

  5331. #5331Hank R2022-08-20 13:25

    Yes that is a 1957 Diamond T Ralph bought it new with Cummins 180 ??or 220 he worked the truck on the Rodgers pas highway and other jobs. He parked truck in late 60's or so. Then used it around his farm here. He Parked it on a bit of a hill as he would not spend money for new batteries so he gave it a push with his 440 JD cat then jump off and run to truck jump in. After many times of doing this he was not fast enough and wheels were not straight and truck ended up on a rock pile and broke the oil pan. then pulled truck back to the top and parked it. Then my friend Roy got it. Early 2000?? Roy soled it and we had to deliver truck and low bed would not make it into Ralph's yard to we lowered truck box. Don in load pulled me and truck to road, Roy put a 4x4 for wheel choke then Don got behind and we hooked up a chain for the 1/2 mile down a fair sized hill. Between the 3 of us dumb truck drivers we never safety wired the chain. So we went 50ft, and loader made a slight steering correction and cam off. So no brakes in 2 truck lengths I more than doubled my speed. What a crappy feeling big white steering wheel in my hands and going fast no noise got past a power pole and a bolder or 2 then stuffed truck into ditch. Spring time ditch was soft and right front dug into bank and I got stopped. Got truck truck out and did hook up chain the correct way and also a second chain for safety, then pushed on to low bed.

  5332. #5332mitch5042022-08-20 13:26

    An engineer had a notion...

  5333. #5333Truck Shop2022-08-20 17:48

    A very nicely restored Pete 351, Pirkle.

  5334. #5334Hank R2022-08-21 07:52
  5335. #5335Truck Shop2022-08-21 14:26

    A Diamond REO Raider built between 74 & 75. Less than 800 built. I have only seen one in person, it was a logger at one time/setting in Cashmere, Wa.

  5336. #5336Truck Shop2022-08-21 18:46

    The first unit is a 64 Pete, the box and boom were moved to a late 70's 4070 International. It's still used in recovery and resides in Dayton Wa just up the road. The second unit in the line up {second photo} the K100, I operated at one time for the shop I worked at. 335 with a married 4x4. 1963 year/model. 1" boom line 3/4" deck line wire rope. Boom 45 ton deck 40 ton. Brown Lipe 4 speed pto with reverser, 4 speeds out 4 speeds in no free spool. Continental had no mutts-any one of those pictured could put the hurt on.

  5337. #5337Truck Shop2022-08-21 18:53

    My old 66 Pete {photos by original owner}.

  5338. #5338Hank R2022-08-21 18:59

    Great pictures Truck Shop, the glory years of trucking.

  5339. #5339Truck Shop2022-08-21 19:07

    Only photos of it when I owned it and later installed the 750.

  5340. #5340Hank R2022-08-22 07:35
  5341. #5341Hank R2022-08-23 07:50

    My Dad was a forman for Fishburners building movers for a bit in the 50's in Edmonton.

  5342. #5342Hank R2022-08-23 07:54
  5343. #5343DMiller2022-08-23 09:15

    Back when a home was well built!!

  5344. #5344Old Doug2022-08-23 09:20

    If you had a dollar for every jack stroke the guys did to move this house .

  5345. #5345Hank R2022-08-23 10:39

    I always thought the house was not worth the cost of the move and why iy it never tipped over.

  5346. #5346crane operator2022-08-23 19:59

    For sale- Add says it will "pull anything"

  5347. #5347crane operator2022-08-23 20:00

    And I don't know what "thornton drive" is, but its got one heck of a stack of springs and the oddest twin screw set up I've seen.

  5348. #5348crane operator2022-08-23 20:04

    And just so you don't all go on a wild goose chase, here's the "thornton drive": http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/special_equipment/six wheel equipment.pdf

  5349. #5349Truck Shop2022-08-23 20:22

    I bought a Thornton Drive 5 years ago when I bought the Freightliner cabover for drive train for my Mack. Found it setting in a pile of weeds about 50 yards away. Gave him a $100 for it and it's still setting in the weeds.

  5350. #5350DMiller2022-08-24 04:19

    In that ad the twin drive shaft off set housing axles is really similar to the 1940s US Mil munitions 6x ton truck drive. Long before the power divider arrived.

  5351. #5351Truck Shop2022-08-24 07:23

    It's not all the that heavy duty.

  5352. #5352Hank R2022-08-24 07:33
  5353. #535356wrench2022-08-24 09:42

    I’ve seen a few old(40’s) Ford trucks with the Thornton drive system but that must have been a strain on the old flathead

  5354. #5354Hank R2022-08-25 07:50
  5355. #5355BSAA65LB2022-08-25 08:52
  5356. #5356Truck Shop2022-08-25 19:51

    From the movie {Sound of Fury-1950} a 1947 KW-no vent windows.

  5357. #5357Truck Shop2022-08-25 19:53

    You can't park there!

  5358. #5358Truck Shop2022-08-25 19:54

    Dave Miller Trucking.

  5359. #5359DMiller2022-08-25 20:04

    Curious position on the stack!!

  5360. #5360Truck Shop2022-08-25 20:39

    Damn I like that, I should have outfitted that critter I built with one of those. Simple.

  5361. #5361Truck Shop2022-08-25 21:16
  5362. #5362Birken Vogt2022-08-25 22:41

    What is with the extended cab? Early tiny sleeper? I presume he is jackknifed like that to keep the street clear?

  5363. #5363Truck Shop2022-08-26 07:35

    Yes, early sleeper. Common to jackknife in cities with docks to street. I had several years ago that deliveries were that way.

  5364. #5364Hank R2022-08-27 07:14
  5365. #5365Truck Shop2022-08-27 07:34

    1964 KW Dart.

  5366. #5366Old Doug2022-08-27 09:34

    I had some thing happen on my 1963 F600 2 days ago. I was hauling a load of scrap i had to go through town the last light i had to stop at i started stopping way before the light the peddle was hard did not have much brakes . I got stopped and happen to think my seat cover had gotten down around the vac booster breather . I moved it and had brakes agin. I had brakes 3 more stops but after that the peddle got hard agin. I think i have a NOS booster i hope its no telling what a new one would run now days.

  5367. #5367Birken Vogt2022-08-27 10:10

    A year ago I was looking around on the internet and I found 3 or 4 shops that rebuild or exchange big truck boosters.

  5368. #5368DMiller2022-08-27 12:01

    Hydrovacs are getting slim these days Neighbor had one do similar, he finally found enough parts to build his own as to diaphragm and seals. Took local parts shop three weeks to get it all together. Beaten but a solid old original Super Duty Ford. 429?

  5369. #5369Hank R2022-08-28 07:46
  5370. #5370Old Doug2022-08-28 11:02

    I have heard you could get kits for them i may have to look into this if my other one dosent pan out. This is a very handy truck and i have gotten alot of use out of it but i have thought about getting a dump trailer so i could do away with the expense of have so many trucks going .

  5371. #5371Hank R2022-08-29 07:36

    These next few pictures are from Barrier BC 50's and some from early 60's wife uncle's trucks.

  5372. #5372Old Doug2022-08-29 08:39

    I had a IH like the newer one it had a generator that would have made most air cooled portable welder jealous it was huge.

  5373. #5373JaredV2022-08-29 10:56

    I just spent the last month and a half binge reading this thread. Great stuff! Just like sitting around the coffee table listening to old, er, more experienced guys swapping stories. On the R-180 above with the flatbed and log trailer, would the trailers have had vacuum brakes? Love the L,R,S series! I know there are others on here who don't agree, but of all the manufacturers who used the same cabs on pickups and trucks I think IH had the best looking with that series.

  5374. #5374DMiller2022-08-29 11:23

    Obvious Trailer or Bunk Pup has Vacuum Brakes by the actuator hanging at end of hoses. That and Hydrovac hanging under cab.

  5375. #5375JPV2022-08-29 17:58

    Better post some pics of your IH's Jared, I don't have any good ones or I would have.

  5376. #5376Truck Shop2022-08-29 19:07

    If I had money to waste, I would by it. But I have no need for it either. Hang flower pots off the mirrors I suppose.

  5377. #5377Hank R2022-08-29 19:28

    I have pictures but I can not remember if I posted them years ago or not they were Public Freightways truck. I am to lazy to go look at 269 pages of trucks my eyes would kill me.

  5378. #5378JaredV2022-08-29 19:38

    I will when I figure out how!

  5379. #5379Truck Shop2022-08-29 19:54

    Sounds like me, I have some boxes of old photos that I just telling myself I need to put in folders.

  5380. #5380skyking12022-08-29 20:11

    Doug's hydrovac story took me back to a heavy load of firewood on a 2 ton 62 Ford, coming down off Raven Roost, off Little Naches road. it did the same thing, I mashed it and it got hard and mashed me right back. Luckily I could ditch it down without losing it. One of those experiences as an 18 year old that I was lucky to survive. It must have failed the same way, boosting the wrong way. It was under the seat area.

  5381. #5381Old Doug2022-08-29 20:14

    They had some realy goofy brake setups back then. I saw a IH that had air over hyd. The master cylinder was behind the cab out in the weather with a air cylinder hooked to it.

  5382. #5382Old Doug2022-08-29 20:17

    I had a 61 f 350 when I was 18. I put a 2 tons booster on it.It could stop time.

  5383. #5383Truck Shop2022-08-29 20:42

    1980 359 with 60" bunk I looked over for it's owner. He wants to keep it {he's retired} and just run it locally now and then. Doesn't look bad really but needs all the air lines replaced, suspension work, interior redone and engine removed and gone through, oil pressure is on the low side-needs cam bushings. Too many in-frames without changing them. BC-I Cummins, 13spd with 3.70's. This was this afternoon I looked at it.

  5384. #5384BSAA65LB2022-08-29 20:47
  5385. #5385JaredV2022-08-29 20:55

    Let's see if I did this right... This was my '57 RD-405. Had a pretty fresh 220 and a 5x3. Ran great and drove pretty good. I bought it with hopes and dreams. When I first looked at it, it hadn't ran in 18 or 20 years the owner thought. Between a couple sketchy batteries and some jumper cables, it fired right up and built air! The clutch wouldn't release but starting it in gear with the clutch pushed in took care of that. I did a bit of cruising around the neighborhood, took it to a car show and generally dinked around with it. Then after a few years I had to kick it out of the shed to make room for stuff that earned it's keep. Then I got married and couldn't justify another set of new batteries for it and decided it had better move on to someone that would take better care of it then I could before it rusted away. I sold it to a guy younger than me with similar aspirations and he's been having as much fun as I did. These are pictures are from when I sold it a couple years ago.

  5386. #5386JaredV2022-08-29 23:14

    My '52 L-160 3 yarder with a S series cab. Other than the hydrovac, the brakes are all new. I put in a little 3 speed brownie for the fun of it, so with the 2 speed rear it's a 4x3x2. Best of all, the tailgate latch is operated inside the cab! I scored some tubeless wheels on a parts truck that the cab came on and the tire shop had 9R22.5s that had been on the shelf long enough so she's got good rubber.

  5387. #5387crane operator2022-08-29 23:52

    With what plates and fuel permits and insurance, I see no way that part time works, unless he's got other trucks or a farm. Or makes it into a hobby RV.

  5388. #5388Hank R2022-08-30 07:23
  5389. #5389Truck Shop2022-08-30 07:25

    Farmer.----His dad had a huge farm years ago and was a county judge, passed away long ago. Ton's of juicy stories of dirty back room deals that went on years ago in the county. The rich dirt bags that ran the town.

  5390. #5390Hank R2022-08-31 07:50

    The snow ones were Christmas morning one nights snow fall.

  5391. #5391Truck Shop2022-08-31 19:29

    Very long hard pull.

  5392. #5392Birken Vogt2022-08-31 22:15

    I bet he didn't have to back out of it to slow down for the corner.

  5393. #5393JaredV2022-08-31 22:25

    Railroads used to run trucks but not any more. Did they decide it wasn't worth it or was there some sort of antitrust or monopoly thing that put a stop to it?

  5394. #5394Birken Vogt2022-08-31 23:15

    I knew a man who used to drive for SP trucking, I guess it was in the 1960s. He said even then SP the railroad company did not really own or manage the trucking company, it was a separate entity and they just kept the name for recognition purposes.

  5395. #5395Hank R2022-09-01 07:32

    Up central BC north of Williams Lake.

  5396. #5396Truck Shop2022-09-01 07:33

    At the time companies like P.I.E. and CF became so big it was hard for others to compete. And later on deregulation put a end to those.

  5397. #5397emmett5182022-09-01 10:21

    I remember PIE and CF on the highways. Why did deregulation kill them?

  5398. #5398Truck Shop2022-09-01 18:00

    When freight was deregulated in 1980/81 it spelled the end for many in the trucking business. Everyone and there brother jumped into the trucking business-freight rates were slashed to the bone. Many of them were hauling for their breakfast, and along with it service fell off. Gypo's running junk became common. Before that trucking ran on permits for different types of commodity's. Outfits that were geared for heavy moving were permitted for just that, and could contest anyone wanting a permit to heavy haul in their area. Driver pay by the mile went from 25 cents to 17 & 18 cents.

  5399. #5399Truck Shop2022-09-01 20:44

    RDFC 402.

  5400. #5400Hank R2022-09-02 07:35

    Uncle Bob drove for Oil Transport from Vancouver and they loaded up in Cloverdale, delivered fuel up the Fraser Canyon and north. Federal trucks forgot the Model # 27 or 29 ???

  5401. #5401Truck Shop2022-09-02 19:43

    All single stackers. The black W900A model long hood is a Far West-Those had big power in there day.

  5402. #5402Truck Shop2022-09-02 21:38

    These six 1953 GMC 950's were tested by P.I.E. powered by 6-110 Detroit's, but didn't work well with the type of blower used. It was better suited for industrial.

  5403. #5403crane operator2022-09-02 21:49

    What's a "KW dart"?

  5404. #5404Truck Shop2022-09-02 22:04

    This is a Dart also. KW's designation for off road construction vehicles years ago. This one is a 1964.

  5405. #5405JaredV2022-09-02 23:09

    There was an early 60's or earlier purple KW pulling dry vans on I-5 15 years ago with an old white haired driver in the middle lane blowing everyone's doors off. Always waved as he went by. I'm pretty sure it said Far West on the door. Later on I saw the truck for sale on craigslist and I think it had an N14. No idea if that was the last of Far West or he was a former driver keeping the name alive. There's a truck with PIE on the door from California I've seen up here in the last year. I looked it up and as near as I can tell it's a one truck company so must be an OO keeping the name alive. Dart built off highway trucks, coal haulers, log stackers and a big front end loader with the cab on the left side. KW bought or somehow got in cahoots with them.

  5406. #5406Truck Shop2022-09-03 07:35

    Far West was over in the early 80's IIRC. 1693's was the power. KW bought Dart.

  5407. #5407Hank R2022-09-03 07:53
  5408. #5408crane operator2022-09-03 18:30

    1964 kw

  5409. #5409Truck Shop2022-09-03 20:02

    Not a lot of those early wide grille 900's around. 1963 is the earliest I've seen.

  5410. #5410Hank R2022-09-04 07:29

    Across the street in Cloverdale where Bob filled up, these 2 boys would come over and talk to him.

  5411. #5411Old Doug2022-09-04 10:44

    This is a cool rig but i wonder why they made the sling arms so long ?

  5412. #5412Truck Shop2022-09-04 12:47

    Because they over thought it and built the booms too long-after thought.

  5413. #5413Hank R2022-09-05 07:35

    Coming the hill into Clinton the road turned south and truck went east, Not so new any more.

  5414. #5414Old Doug2022-09-05 08:22

    Its funny how many people dont understand the basics of leverage.

  5415. #5415kshansen2022-09-05 09:27

    And I might be wrong but think that might be a Crane Carrier cab. At least it looks like the ones we had for a few of our IR Truck Drills at the quarry.

  5416. #5416skyking12022-09-05 17:38

    The dart 600 loader they used at the steam plant outside of Centralia. 16 cubic yards, screamin Jimmy power.

  5417. #5417Truck Shop2022-09-05 17:46

    Oshkosh-used to recover burned/wrecked cranes along side the road.

  5418. #5418Hank R2022-09-05 18:20

    Spent a year getting loaded under a Dart loader a large one Unit Rig 100 ton trucks If I remember right it had a 20 yard coal bucket and Kaiser had 2 of them

  5419. #5419Hank R2022-09-06 07:36

    Wife's family was getting a a addition added on to their house. The KW is her dad's truck.

  5420. #5420skyking12022-09-06 22:46

    Oshkosh makes some nice rigs. This snowblower was plugged in and ready to go at ~4000' elevation on Hurricane Ridge. Notice the dented fuel tanks. This winch rig was at the truck shop

  5421. #5421Hank R2022-09-07 07:50

    Wife's uncle George drove truck on this job .

  5422. #5422mekanik2022-09-07 08:42

    That looks like a Vivian engine.

  5423. #5423Hank R2022-09-08 07:36

    Not sure what roll the land Rover played as looks to me LR tire jacked up and cable from winch on back is tight.

  5424. #5424Old Doug2022-09-08 08:43

    I havent exhausted all my options yet but finding a vacuum booster for my f600 hasnt been good. One option is to send it to a place to see if they can rebuild it or if they can even find parts for it. I need and this truck bad to clean up the farm its been very handy. I know were 2 trucks are for parts but finding a good used one on a 50 year old truck will be hard. I can buy the trucks for about scrap price so i may try this. I often think about how guys find parts for older trucks they are restoring but they dont have to have it running on a timeline.

  5425. #5425Birken Vogt2022-09-08 09:59

    Lots of hydrovac rebuilders out there, don't know who is good but they exist: https://www.brakesystemsinc.com/reman.html https://powerbrakes.com/hydrovacs/ https://brakeboosterrebuild.com/about/ https://www.applehydraulicsonline.com/ https://whitepost.com/brake-sleeving-rebuilding-services/ https://harmonclassicbrakes.com/ https://www.brakematerialsandparts.com/booster-rebuilding https://www.powerbrakeservice.net/hyrese.html

  5426. #5426Hank R2022-09-09 07:35
  5427. #5427Truck Shop2022-09-09 07:41

    What year was that Hank?

  5428. #5428Hank R2022-09-09 07:48

    Do knot know but guessing late 50's early 60's, got pictures after George passed from his son. do not know the make of the truck but a large one I think back in the day.

  5429. #5429Old Doug2022-09-09 08:15

    Thanks i will call around and see what i find out.

  5430. #54304x4ford2022-09-09 15:54

    https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR5rPCeq/

  5431. #5431DMiller2022-09-09 19:50

    Thinking was a Diamond US Mil Spec by the hood line and windshields.

  5432. #5432Truck Shop2022-09-09 21:50

    1954---351 first year for this style.

  5433. #5433emmett5182022-09-10 03:51

    Speaking of old trucks, has anyone been to the trucking museum in NJ?

  5434. #5434Hank R2022-09-10 07:56

    This pictures are from Harry Black collection. Public Freightways, they were everywhere in BC back in the day. The pictures of the trucks with the beams were on highway 3 west of Princeton. They were going to Penticton east of me for a new Super-Value store. Have to like the Pilot cars.

  5435. #5435Truck Shop2022-09-10 11:04

    Nice photo Hank.

  5436. #5436DMiller2022-09-10 16:27

    Used to have a set of those PerLux Fog lights as on the 351, LONG ago.

  5437. #5437Truck Shop2022-09-10 19:16

    Holmes 850.

  5438. #5438Truck Shop2022-09-10 19:19

    1961 RDF411 IH with 11,000 original miles. Used by Morton Thiokol to haul rocket boosters in Utah.

  5439. #5439Hank R2022-09-11 08:00
  5440. #5440petepilot2022-09-11 23:51

    got a brand new set of em in my pete, and i was with in few miles of you thursday. picked a trailer out of moberly

  5441. #5441Hank R2022-09-12 07:25
  5442. #5442Truck Shop2022-09-12 20:46
  5443. #5443Hank R2022-09-13 10:45

    That young boy beside the truck is Harry Black and him in the bicycle in the lane where they are building a house.

  5444. #5444mowingman2022-09-13 14:22

    Was at a car show this weekend here in SE Ohio. They had this nicely restored B model on display. It has a Mack diesel in it. I could not find the owner to get any other info.

  5445. #5445crane operator2022-09-13 19:42

    Bad motor mount? Its in a KW for sale, and I'm not sure what else the chain and binder would be for.

  5446. #5446Truck Shop2022-09-13 19:55

    Broken motor mount. Vickers power assist steering. 350 horse power V-71.

  5447. #5447Truck Shop2022-09-13 21:24

    Strange.

  5448. #5448Hank R2022-09-14 07:31
  5449. #5449kshansen2022-09-14 08:04

    It must be to hold back all the low end torque from that engine. Also must have been some place that gets cold to need that Kim Hotstart heater! Or maybe it's just so worn out it needs the heat to fire up?

  5450. #5450farmerlund2022-09-14 09:27

    68’ KW, ser# 110,000. Quietly waiting for TS to take on another project. My dad bought this truck in 1979 from a local cement company. I always thought the drop down stop sign for low air pressure was pretty cool.

  5451. #5451Old Doug2022-09-14 09:57

    I stopped at a parts place the owner happen to find one in Canada but they couldnt tell me just what it will cost. I called several of the rebuild places one said they could rebuild it for less than $400.00 i need to find out about shipping. I got another used one took it apart and its working for now. Hopefully this will buy me some time to get a backup plan going.

  5452. #5452Truck Shop2022-09-14 12:42

    Called a wig-wag. I would probably do it, but need some ambition first. I see Spud stopped by your neighborhood, that 900 is parked in a Spud Shed.

  5453. #5453kshansen2022-09-14 16:36

    For some operators these days you would have to mount that wig-wag a bit further back so it would hit them the side of the head when air pressure dropped!

  5454. #5454Birken Vogt2022-09-14 20:53

    It would not work for most of the boys these days that ride around w/o air in the seat and a drop visor, it would be too far out of the field of view.

  5455. #5455Truck Shop2022-09-14 20:58

    In some cases it's the new old school toy added to a newer truck.

  5456. #5456farmerlund2022-09-14 22:35

    The other interesting thing it has is a flip over little lever for the tractor parking brake. Trailer air has regular push knob. If you zoom in you can see it in the picture. Arrow pointing each way for drive/park

  5457. #5457Truck Shop2022-09-15 02:22

    That was the common brake release valve years ago. My 66 Pete came from factory with a toggle switch and starter button. Only keys were for the door locks. Used the same park brake valve. Then about 1970 the valves for tractor and trailer were all PP1 push valves. For a 68 the dash and exterior fiberglass look in nice shape.

  5458. #5458Hank R2022-09-15 07:22
  5459. #5459Hank R2022-09-16 07:29

    The driver we usually love or hate.,,

  5460. #5460Truck Shop2022-09-16 07:34

    Forklift drivers can be hard on trailers.

  5461. #5461Hank R2022-09-17 07:23
  5462. #5462Hank R2022-09-18 07:36
  5463. #5463DMiller2022-09-18 09:04

    Nother 190, DAMN again!!

  5464. #5464Hank R2022-09-18 12:21

    I wonder how many R trucks IH made growing up in the 50's they were everywhere. My uncle on Moms side had 4 of these flat decks and small dump box's.

  5465. #5465Truck Shop2022-09-18 13:11

    That's true-every lumber yard and feed store used those where I lived. Tight turning radius and a rugged truck overall.

  5466. #5466BSAA65LB2022-09-18 20:48
  5467. #5467Truck Shop2022-09-18 21:10

    Not the big 1091 but the fact it's a early Hall Scott. Model 480-serial #480306, 5.750 bore x 6.000 stroke, 935 cu.in. overhead cam. Late 30's to 40's.

  5468. #5468Bumpsteer2022-09-18 22:46

    My back hurts just looking at that truck... Ed

  5469. #5469Hank R2022-09-19 07:31

    I wonder how much fuel one would go through by the size of that tank, on the R IH?? The last picture was staged, as a new highway was ready to open in a few weeks so early Sunday morning this happened, only problem the camera man left his car in the picture.

  5470. #5470Truck Shop2022-09-19 07:33

    That rode like a Cadillac compared to this Federal.

  5471. #5471mekanik2022-09-19 15:48

    I stumbled across this picture on another forum. Arrow Transportation is still in business they started out in 1919.

  5472. #5472Hank R2022-09-19 15:56

    There is a Arrow Transportation, in BC based in Vancouver, I know they had a heavy haul division but if I remember correct they shut that part down in the late 80's, but I am sure there may be a Arrow in the US.

  5473. #5473mekanik2022-09-19 16:02

    I drove past the local kenworth dealer the other day and there are five new Arrow trucks on the lot.

  5474. #5474Hank R2022-09-19 16:23

    Some Arrow pictures I took here in Princeton in the 80's

  5475. #5475Hank R2022-09-19 16:26

    Same bridge beam different end.

  5476. #5476Hank R2022-09-19 16:30
  5477. #5477Truck Shop2022-09-19 18:03

    Arrow was still running dry vans in the mid 90's in BC.

  5478. #5478Hank R2022-09-19 18:10

    I see Arrow lumber and Chip trucks almost every day and they have a contract to haul copper ore from here to Vancouver with side dump B trains, several times a day.

  5479. #5479Truck Shop2022-09-19 20:21

    This below is my favorite of old trucks, born out if the necessity of instant, cheap, durable transportation. Only four still exist as far as I know and I know where three are. Freightliner has one, Allen Chase/Hagerman has one and the last one I know of for sure sets in a pile of weeds in La Grande Ore. They were called Freightways and Arrows. Mostly shop built using a variety of parts available at the time, during and after WWII. It was for all intent and purpose the first conventional Freightliner. Even though Freightliner only says the first was in 1973 the FLC model. It has been said some of the first were built on Fageol chassis, but that is highly unlikely because a man named Peterman from Morton Wa bought Fageol in 1938 for $50,000 to build his idea of a logging truck named the Peterbilt.---All the good trucks came from Washington State. The first of these Freightways from info I have found started in late 1938, as far as any production. Not to say there weren't some early prototypes/scratch built. Below are some of my photos mixed with other peoples. The yellow one belongs to Allen Chase, the red one sets in La Grande. Both of those were built using later 40's KW cabs. And I believe both were built in Hermiston Ore. The old black & white vintage photos, two are from the Freightliner yard in Portland Ore. There were lots of these built but also no exact numbers. If I had $25,000 of disposable cash I would buy the red Arrow, rebuild it to original condition. Because it is a piece of transportation history that built the U.S.. 99% know nothing about these trucks and what was accomplished with them. To most it's just junk.

  5480. #5480Truck Shop2022-09-19 20:23
  5481. #5481Truck Shop2022-09-19 21:44
  5482. #5482Truck Shop2022-09-19 21:47

    On the west coast U.S. it was Arrow Tank lines.

  5483. #5483Hank R2022-09-20 10:31
  5484. #5484Hank R2022-09-20 14:26

    Ready for action...

  5485. #5485Truck Shop2022-09-20 17:20
  5486. #5486Hank R2022-09-21 07:45
  5487. #5487Hank R2022-09-22 07:48

    The picture of where they are building a new building is in Princeton.

  5488. #5488Hank R2022-09-23 07:21
  5489. #5489Hank R2022-09-24 07:24
  5490. #5490D5Dan2022-09-24 10:09

    ‘75 Loadstar 1700 with 345 2bbl, 5sp with 2sp rearend. Just discovered the Daybrook build plate on the scissor lift. Best guess is late 40’s/early 50’s lift?? Still can’t get-over the size of the twin rams on this lift. Plan was to cut the front rollers to make it dump-only… can’t seem to bring myself to do it…wish I could make it do both scissor or dump.

  5491. #5491Hank R2022-09-24 10:50

    I remember that shift pattern well, bring back memories.

  5492. #5492mitch5042022-09-24 23:10

    I learned to drive in one of those, 9 yrs old, up and down the rows of hay bales so the men could carry them to the trailer. Thankfully, we started getting large round bales about the time I got big enough to carry bales to the trailer.

  5493. #5493Truck Shop2022-09-25 06:32

    When I was a kid on our dairy sleds behind the baler were common.

  5494. #5494Hank R2022-09-25 07:30
  5495. #5495Old Doug2022-09-25 11:02

    We had alot of old IH when i was 8 dad bought a 1970 Chevy c60 i thought for years it was cheap junk because it was so easy to drive compered to the IHs. The chevy had such a small how engine how could it be any good. Now i have a IH with a chevy engine.

  5496. #5496BSAA65LB2022-09-25 11:44
  5497. #5497Truck Shop2022-09-25 17:17

    Weren't too worried about explosions in those days.

  5498. #5498JaredV2022-09-25 18:09

    I like the exposed chain drive pump and shafts on the running board.

  5499. #5499Truck Shop2022-09-25 19:11

    That was built by early day OSHA.

  5500. #5500mekanik2022-09-25 20:18

    That looks like a Blackmer Pump!

  5501. #5501Truck Shop2022-09-25 20:59

    Your more than likely right, it doesn't look like any Roper pump I've ever seen. Although the coolest petroleum fluid pump I've ever seen was shaped like a ball inside. Straight drive to the front half and the back half of the ball the support shaft was at a 30* angle. Built by a company in Stockton Cal. Can't remember the name and they went out of business-but it was a excellent pump. It just scooped fluid from one side port to the other. I don't think it could be worn out the way it was designed, probably why they aren't in business.

  5502. #5502Truck Shop2022-09-25 21:22

    After thinking about it Richmond Manufacturing IIRC was who built that pump. But my memory isn't that good anymore.

  5503. #5503Hank R2022-09-26 07:34

    First picture is of Harry Black, who gave me his pictures of Public.

  5504. #5504DMiller2022-09-26 18:13

    As to the 6L Gray on Vetech's post, thought this deserved to be HERE. WHY in heaven's name did the GM Idjits continually BURY Engines as a 6L alive?? And in this case a 6L71T Detroit 6-71 Engine Assembly (vanderhaags.com) Brigadier, close second for least serviceable cab series ever built, Second behind ALL the Other worthless designs!!

  5505. #5505Truck Shop2022-09-26 19:16

    Chevy, Ford, Dodge, GMC, International were the main culprits when it came to building odd ball ill designed trucks. The IH 2275 was a total pile to work on, can you imagine if it was electronic/fly by wire. But they were cheap and people who bought them were cheap, it was a perfect fit. Most owners had no intention of working on them {that was for the low rent guy in overalls common thought}. Below are some fine examples of how not to build a truck.

  5506. #5506Truck Shop2022-09-26 19:31

    Another ill conceived contraption, the 900 series Dodges.

  5507. #5507Truck Shop2022-09-26 19:59

    Another engine under the seat pos. The LTL's were pretty good.

  5508. #5508DMiller2022-09-26 20:19

    Flop fendered Dodges, even opening them was no aid to get at engines.

  5509. #5509Truck Shop2022-09-26 20:25

    A view of a early GMC with 702 gas pot. Zero room.

  5510. #5510mekanik2022-09-26 21:37

    I remember seeing a dodge dump truck from the early 60's that had a hemi in it. If I remember correctly it was 549CID

  5511. #5511Bumpsteer2022-09-26 21:38

    Ya, but at least you had someplcace to put your beer.... Ed

  5512. #5512Truck Shop2022-09-27 00:50

    Dodge was responsible for alcoholism with that design.

  5513. #5513Hank R2022-09-27 10:21

    Public bought 6 of these 4 x 4 IH UniStar ?? trucks, this was not a good plan as it was not enough truck for the trailers they were pulling as a result they lost 2 drivers and injured another then sold the other 3 off.

  5514. #5514DMiller2022-09-27 17:01

    Fords Sea Sickness Test Cab.

  5515. #5515Truck Shop2022-09-27 17:51

    Running class eight trucks with 4WD at road speed on slick conditions [especially with short WB} doesn't work well. Front axle will always weigh less than drive. Once either side of steer breaks traction reality is steering is compromised.

  5516. #5516Hank R2022-09-28 07:22
  5517. #5517Hank R2022-09-29 07:34

    Kenworth loaned Public a truck to try out.

  5518. #5518Hank R2022-09-30 07:37
  5519. #551956wrench2022-09-30 09:20

    Beautiful looking old truck although i don’t like the way that horizontal part of the ramp bows as it’s being unloaded

  5520. #5520Hank R2022-09-30 10:36

    Federal tour in Princeton, and truck in Vancouver for Expo 86 opening, Rick Harker with truck tour.

  5521. #5521Truck Shop2022-10-01 07:13

    1976 Bicentennial W900 VIP with Kenworth Corp owned 1923 KW on the trailer.

  5522. #5522Hank R2022-10-01 07:26
  5523. #5523Hank R2022-10-01 07:30
  5524. #5524mitch5042022-10-01 09:54

    Wow, that Cummins ad talks about how big Public is, with 36 power units!

  5525. #5525Camshawn2022-10-01 16:37

    What was the relationship between Public and Johnson Terminals? Cam

  5526. #5526Hank R2022-10-01 23:05

    Johnson Terminals bought out Public Freightways in early 80's. before 85 not sure as to what year. As the 1915 Federal truck was all Johnson at Expo 86. Johnson was a Alberta based company and they made many changes and none were for the better and the new company went down hill in this time.

  5527. #5527Hank R2022-10-01 23:14

    Some how I messed up can not see how to delete a double post of pictures sorry for my screw up.

  5528. #5528Hank R2022-10-02 07:49

    John Rorvik -Princeton, # 579 Mel Wilkinson and Rick Zerr Cran Forks 1977

  5529. #5529Camshawn2022-10-02 16:28

    My Grandpa started with Johnson’s in the early 30’s. He drove freight and then for Home Oil ( Johnson’s supplied the trucks and drivers) until he retired in the late 70’s. Cam

  5530. #5530Hank R2022-10-03 07:44

    Dave Gilmore Gran Forks 1977

  5531. #5531Hank R2022-10-03 14:48

    I have a bunch moer Public pictures is everyone tired of me and my pictures or carry on as I am.

  5532. #5532DB22022-10-03 15:16

    I for one enjoy them.

  5533. #5533mekanik2022-10-03 22:07

    Yes please continue!!

  5534. #5534Hank R2022-10-04 08:01

    These pictures are from the Gran Forks area. second picture is Art McMann from Princeton.

  5535. #5535Hank R2022-10-05 07:35
  5536. #5536BSAA65LB2022-10-05 10:02

    Well….for whatever reason, that link is broken……

  5537. #5537Hank R2022-10-06 07:42
  5538. #5538BSAA65LB2022-10-06 14:47
  5539. #5539Hank R2022-10-07 07:35
  5540. #5540Hank R2022-10-08 07:31

    Looks like a safety meeting or company picnic??

  5541. #5541JaredV2022-10-08 11:34

    One thing I notice about that outfit- they weren't brand snobs. They didn't seem to be afraid to run whatever was best suited to the application. That Pete is beautiful! Was it the fleet flagship?

  5542. #5542Hank R2022-10-08 12:03

    It was a owner/operator truck. those little Ford were great around town, my fried Tip says.

  5543. #5543Hank R2022-10-09 07:35
  5544. #5544JaredV2022-10-09 11:57

    Looks like a chunk of the stern of a ship. I see prop shaft bearings and rudder pintles. Must have been moving it in the yard.

  5545. #5545crane operator2022-10-09 13:28
  5546. #5546Truck Shop2022-10-09 20:54

    111

  5547. #5547Truck Shop2022-10-09 20:58
  5548. #5548mitch5042022-10-10 00:17

    Georgetown Steel used similar Macks to haul out the slag pots when I was in there in the early '90s. They had been there since the mill started up in '69, and are probably still operable. They aren't running the furnaces now since they are in a legal battle with the city, who rezoned the mill property for condos and declared them noncompliant with zoning. I did see one of those snag one of our R-models, loaded to about 90,000 lbs, and pull the cab clean off, then drag the whole truck 100' or so. The guy in the big Mack never knew he had it.

  5549. #5549colson042022-10-10 07:13

    Dang. Hope your driver wasn't in the truck when that happened.

  5550. #5550Hank R2022-10-10 07:39

    Loading Alfalfa Pellets Creston.

  5551. #5551mitch5042022-10-10 10:38

    Nope, he had stopped on the edge of the haul road (instead of 50' further up in the parking area) to get something from the vending machine.

  5552. #5552crane operator2022-10-10 18:19

    You're famous! So are they going to give you a royalty on your design?

  5553. #5553Truck Shop2022-10-10 19:31

    I don't think so wasn't planning on it. Although it's made 90 plus tows since built, ten were outside for U.S. Foods and Sysco to Spokane area.

  5554. #5554Truck Shop2022-10-11 07:30

    Mid 50's Emeryville.

  5555. #5555Hank R2022-10-11 07:38

    Grand Forks 1975.

  5556. #5556Truck Shop2022-10-11 21:05

    That photo reminds of something years ago. In my old town Boy Scouts were have a old newspaper drive, no one used a kingpin support. The boys stacked the newspaper to the roof and it nosed over.

  5557. #5557Truck Shop2022-10-11 21:25

    Eisenhower Tunnel truck, and used through out the country for tunnel duty.

  5558. #5558DB22022-10-11 21:26

    Shorty. I’d like to see how the apparatus on the front was used.

  5559. #5559Truck Shop2022-10-11 21:55

    It just slides up to match a surface to push on.

  5560. #5560DB22022-10-11 22:30

    Thanks. I see it now.

  5561. #5561JaredV2022-10-12 00:04

    Guessing the short wheelbase was to allow it to turn around inside the tunnel?

  5562. #5562Birken Vogt2022-10-12 00:49

    They used to have something like that here on Donner Pass as well. No tunnel involved but just a specialized truck to get stuck trucks moving on the ice.

  5563. #5563Truck Shop2022-10-12 07:30

    Correct. That's true, Cal DOT used a similar truck on Donner.

  5564. #5564DMiller2022-10-12 10:44

    No offense TS, but ever watched Recovery crews try to turn those extra long wreckers and rotary units around on Interstate, forty acres not near enough!!! Can see the purpose to the kidney beaters.

  5565. #5565Hank R2022-10-12 10:53

    Vanderspeeck truck, this group of pictures were in a phot album in a second hand store in Kelowna and a friend send me the pictures. The Vanderspeck's came to Canada from Holland and settled in Princeton, I can see the house they lived in from my house. Vanderspeck was one of the founders of Public Freightways, he got several other small owner's from Vancouver area to get together and fourm one company and each of the other 5 truckers all would have equal shares in the one company.

  5566. #5566Truck Shop2022-10-12 19:12

    Normally it's done with law enforcement traffic control, that's if they respond. If it's a WSP call they will if it's a privet request may not, Oregon your on your own, same with Idaho and Montana. But even at that any real tow company should have the means to wheel lift it from either end, and most do these days for the simple fact the noses are all fiberglass. 50% of my tows are from the front. Drop the gear, remove the airlines and pull the pin, back another power unit under it and send it down the road while I finish hook up. Unfortunately I'm still driving, Jeff is too nervous to do a front hook. The later trucks with set back steer axle and all the fiberglass can be tricky. The front sump oil pans are level with the bottom of the axle and made of plastic. I have a set of 5" high ramps I drive or winch the front tires on to gain height so the forks will pass under the axle. Even with the special forks I built when those make contact with bottom of steer axle there is only 2" clearance between reach and oil pan. Many oil pans have been cracked/broke from improper hook up. My last three tows-two from Ontario Ore area and one from top of Ladd Canyon I-84 have all been front hooks. Besides the fact the traffic is so thick and moving fast the you can't even attempt to turn around.

  5567. #5567Hank R2022-10-13 07:14

    The building with Salmon Arm on it is still standing and is in use as off last year.

  5568. #5568emmett5182022-10-13 08:13
  5569. #5569Truck Shop2022-10-13 21:10

    1965 Hayes Clipper.

  5570. #5570DB22022-10-13 21:36

    Ahead of it’s time style wise.

  5571. #5571Truck Shop2022-10-13 21:50

    It really was in most cases, I've always thought International copied it for the 4300.

  5572. #5572Hank R2022-10-14 07:15
  5573. #5573Truck Shop2022-10-14 07:35

    1963 Hayes 8V71 power, another design that looks copied by White later on.

  5574. #5574525isx2022-10-14 17:30

    I always liked the looks of the Hayes Clipper - cool looking

  5575. #5575Truck Shop2022-10-14 20:06

    When I use to run to Vancouver B.C. I would normally have a drop at McDonalds LTD. There was a owner/operator that would be there sometimes from Saskatoon that drove a Hayes Clipper about that year with a painted 60" Mercury sleeper, Cat powered. Painted tan and brown, it was a beautiful rig.

  5576. #5576Truck Shop2022-10-14 21:35

    Early GMC High Sierra.

  5577. #5577Hank R2022-10-15 07:28
  5578. #5578Hank R2022-10-16 07:35
  5579. #5579Truck Shop2022-10-16 14:56

    Great photos Hank!

  5580. #5580Hank R2022-10-16 17:54

    Thanks TS. Looks like the boss had a nice car also. I am not up on cars but was not a Ford or Chev...

  5581. #5581Truck Shop2022-10-16 18:38

    I'm thinking Packard, possibly maybe not.

  5582. #5582Truck Shop2022-10-16 18:47

    A bunch of photos a friend sent of his trip through Cummins Corp museum. First is the oldest H series know to exist, 1939. Then the last N14 built crew signed then clear coated. A prototype N14. Clessie Cummins Auburn and Cad both diesel powered and the first Dodge pickup with the 12V. And other odds and ends.

  5583. #5583Truck Shop2022-10-16 18:49
  5584. #5584Truck Shop2022-10-16 18:53

    And a V12 prototype based on the 903.

  5585. #5585emmett5182022-10-17 07:08

    I wish there was a rule that when people shot pictures of the outside of a vehicle, they also shot pictures of the inside.

  5586. #5586Hank R2022-10-17 07:31

    Next group of pictures is of a railway timber trestle that , they are building a huge cement culvert and fill in with rock. North East of Princeton Late 40's

  5587. #5587Truck Shop2022-10-17 07:37

    Here.

  5588. #5588Truck Shop2022-10-17 19:50

    A Ford LTL which really was a pretty good truck, just a little heavy though. And a 1959 T950 Ford Super Duty. The 58 had it's own {checker board grille} 59 and 60 used the same grille but the 1960 said Super Duty on the front of hood with the Ford Crest in the middle. T stands for tandem and F stands for single drive.

  5589. #5589crane operator2022-10-17 20:49

    1959 diamond t for sale- $3,500 I "think" that's a sleeper on the back of the cab, but a few truck drivers I know would need a diet, and I'd need some foot room on one side or the other (and probably the diet too).

  5590. #5590Truck Shop2022-10-17 22:00

    About as square as square can get when it comes to truck cabs.

  5591. #5591Hank R2022-10-18 07:44

    Looks like the Rebar haul had a slight problem. Rebar came by train and was reloaded to trucks a few miles away.. The pit where they were getting sand and gravel from was close to the the culvert and is now a subdivision.

  5592. #5592Old Doug2022-10-18 08:05

    I think the Dodges had about them beat.

  5593. #5593Truck Shop2022-10-18 21:03

    1976 Autocar 9364, 238 original miles, owned by the Tackaberry Collection.

  5594. #5594DB22022-10-18 22:20

    Fine looking A car!

  5595. #5595Hank R2022-10-19 07:37

    Building a new bridge in town on Highway 3, Iron came by train and loaded to trucks where the Chevron station is now and hauled 1 block.

  5596. #5596Truck Shop2022-10-19 21:24

    The original Slab Cab-Cracker Box.

  5597. #5597Hank R2022-10-20 12:13

    Princeton Brewery trucks in the 40's they had a white cross on each truck each drive had basic first aid and were to stop and help out out any one on the road that needed first aid. First picture is of Len Harker when he was 3years old, next one's is of Ralph Anderson's Dad.

  5598. #5598d9gdon2022-10-20 20:07

    Those bastards at GMC hated drivers, throughout their design years.

  5599. #5599Truck Shop2022-10-20 20:55

    Ford, GM and Dodge were all about providing cheap when it came to trucks, that's why so many municipal trucks were those brands. It wasn't because those were top of the line, it fit the budget. Same with a lot of dry freight companies back then.

  5600. #5600Hank R2022-10-21 07:26
  5601. #5601Truck Shop2022-10-21 19:11

    I doubt but a few on here has ever seen a Brown.

  5602. #5602Hank R2022-10-22 07:35

    One of the drivers had a bad day and the Ford needed First Aid in Cloverdale B.C.

  5603. #5603Hank R2022-10-22 07:38
  5604. #5604Old Doug2022-10-22 09:37

    I have been cleaning out the house and found the blue prints for my first wrecker. I covered the phone number because i am no longer do wrecker stuff. If i can i will find and post a picture of my first wrecker.

  5605. #5605d9gdon2022-10-22 16:02

    Doug, I need some wench service every now and again.

  5606. #5606DMiller2022-10-22 17:54

    Car in the photo, 34 Buick 50 as my Uncle Owned one, the wrecker on that flip over a 53, Grills gave them away.

  5607. #5607Truck Shop2022-10-22 20:39

    111

  5608. #5608Truck Shop2022-10-22 20:40

    This is a great photo of a late 30's {1937} Fageol. Predecessor of the Peterbilt. A guy named Peterman from Morton, Wa. bought the buildings and tooling and changed the name to Peterbilt in late 1938 for $50,000.

  5609. #5609Truck Shop2022-10-22 20:43

    111

  5610. #5610Old Doug2022-10-22 22:02

    I should have drawed a Cadillac and wrote that on the door. I bet a pimp would make more money than a wrecker owner.

  5611. #5611Truck Shop2022-10-23 07:30

    That depends on the line up in his stable.

  5612. #5612Hank R2022-10-23 07:34
  5613. #5613Truck Shop2022-10-23 07:45

    Ford with a Jail Bar Grille.

  5614. #5614DMiller2022-10-23 08:31

    Almost RR Cow Catcher style!!

  5615. #5615Hank R2022-10-24 07:38

    Looks like one of the drivers was getting a first aid update trucks parked at nurse's residents.

  5616. #5616Hank R2022-10-25 07:54
  5617. #5617Old Doug2022-10-25 08:45

    That Mercury has a real set of mirrors .

  5618. #5618Hank R2022-10-26 07:44

    George Kassa collection. In the mid 40's the BC government started working on the Hope Princeton highway #3. These pictures are from 1948 when the highway opened and some are here in town , just 2 blocks from where I live.

  5619. #5619Hank R2022-10-27 07:16
  5620. #5620Truck Shop2022-10-27 17:07

    Military truck trivia. Kenworth built the T10, incorporated with Atomic Annie M65 gun. Built in the early 50's with a gas powered unit on each end, it could move sideways. Stationed in various places around the globe from 55 to 62.

  5621. #5621renovator2022-10-27 20:15

    One of those is on display at the Museum of Nuclear Science and History in Albuquerque.

  5622. #5622Truck Shop2022-10-27 20:37

    Probably the only one left too.

  5623. #5623skyking12022-10-27 20:41

    The one test shot made with it. There are a half dozen, but not many of the carriers. Here is a complete one in MD.

  5624. #5624catman132022-10-28 07:23

    there is 1 at Fort Sill Oklahoma

  5625. #5625Hank R2022-10-28 07:27
  5626. #5626Truck Shop2022-10-28 07:27

    Must have built a bunch of them-a good example of military wasted money. Powered by 895 cu.in. Hall Scott.

  5627. #5627Truck Shop2022-10-28 07:30

    900 series Dodges?

  5628. #5628Hank R2022-10-28 20:22

    Yes with GM Diesel power

  5629. #5629Truck Shop2022-10-28 21:29

    Odd thing to note-but the first few 900's and 1000 models used frame rails from PacCar. Farmer here has two 900's his dad bought new one with Cummins the other 6-71 Detroit. Both don't have but 150,000 miles on them, Both in good condition and has no plans to replace them. Ten wheelers, he likes driving them.

  5630. #5630Hank R2022-10-29 07:17
  5631. #5631d9gdon2022-10-29 21:31

    Heavy duty mud mixers.

  5632. #5632westerner2022-10-29 22:48

    Those drums have a fuller taper than the 10 yard drums common in my world. How much do they hold?

  5633. #5633Hank R2022-10-30 07:43

    Those Pacific's had a 10.4 cubic meter mixer powered by a 400 Cummins and a Fuller 14708LL Transmission. I did the conversion to cubic yards and 13. 6 cu yards

  5634. #5634Hank R2022-10-30 07:57
  5635. #5635Truck Shop2022-10-30 13:15

    Needs a bigger shovel.

  5636. #5636Hank R2022-10-31 07:11
  5637. #5637Hank R2022-11-01 07:31
  5638. #5638Old Doug2022-11-01 08:54

    It looks like the trailer would give you more tongue weight than you needed with just one axle . I wonder if it was home made?

  5639. #5639crane operator2022-11-01 20:33

    Every time I think "prices on used trucks can't get stupider" - up pops another ad: 1973 4300, big cam and a nine speed, with a 13' bed. $24,000

  5640. #5640Truck Shop2022-11-01 21:00

    It's everywhere C.O.---------Average price for a worn out W900A model with a Cummins or Cat, worn out suspension worn out dump box, 30% rubber, needing brakes, probably holds air for 30 minutes or less, built out of a old over the road tractor that already had 1.5 million-------- 25K is a base price. Rolling junk.

  5641. #5641Hank R2022-11-02 07:44
  5642. #5642Truck Shop2022-11-02 19:36

    I had fun with your above photos today Hank, that KW above is actually a S-12. Most think on first look it's a C500. The C500 has straight frame rails to the radiator, a S-12 is a W925S-12 using the same tapered drop front front rails as a W900.

  5643. #5643Hank R2022-11-03 10:30

    Not sure if this suspension was common back in the day, as I do not remember seeing it often.

  5644. #5644Truck Shop2022-11-03 10:51

    Looks like KW torsion bar.

  5645. #5645Hank R2022-11-03 12:55

    Yes your right, Just do not remember seeing many.

  5646. #5646Truck Shop2022-11-03 17:24

    It really depended on the buyers specifications and what he was willing to spend. KW offered the torsion for cheaper price-plus it was their design and got parts sales to go with it. Mainly trucking companies bought it for fleet spec trucks, not many owner operators would buy it.

  5647. #5647Truck Shop2022-11-03 17:59

    Lookout Pass in the fun days, before my time.

  5648. #5648Birken Vogt2022-11-03 21:22

    I always liked the look of those old relay valves, reminds me of the pages of a service manual that smells of grease, gear oil and musty old storage shed.

  5649. #5649Hank R2022-11-04 07:45
  5650. #5650JaredV2022-11-05 00:31

    What is the second pipe going under the hood on the air cleaner for? I've never seen that.

  5651. #5651mekanik2022-11-05 07:07

    It is to draw warm air in from the engine compartment.

  5652. #5652Truck Shop2022-11-05 07:32

    Mainly found on Canadian/Alaskan trucks.

  5653. #5653Hank R2022-11-05 08:01
  5654. #5654Truck Shop2022-11-05 10:16

    That roof extender on that Freightliner COE was a after market piece.

  5655. #5655mekanik2022-11-05 10:38

    The old trucks all had their quirks but they were sure a lot easier to work on than the new stuff.

  5656. #5656Old Doug2022-11-05 12:28

    I think the worst part is i growed up working on older stuff learning howto and why then i kind of got out of it and lost out learning howto and why. Now i dont know if i could ketchup.

  5657. #5657DMiller2022-11-05 14:30

    Had torsion on my K100, rode OK, not the smoothest and worst was when Knuckles would flip over.

  5658. #5658Hank R2022-11-06 07:49

    A redneck truck wash...

  5659. #5659Truck Shop2022-11-06 15:12

    Some Peterbilt history.

  5660. #5660Hank R2022-11-07 07:28
  5661. #5661Hank R2022-11-08 07:29
  5662. #5662Camshawn2022-11-08 21:40

    Came across this on utube this morning. Linden Transport I knew a lot of there alot of branches to their tree, just not as big a tree as they have. Cam

  5663. #5663Truck Shop2022-11-08 21:43

    I've seen that, a good video. LTI has a bunch of branches.

  5664. #5664Hank R2022-11-09 07:14
  5665. #566559 North2022-11-09 16:26

    Great to see this video with the early years pictures. My Dad worked for the Company, in Fairbanks, in the early 1960's.

  5666. #5666DMiller2022-11-09 19:35

    Well Hank that would be o\ne way to haul truss, not sure would care for that!!

  5667. #5667Hank R2022-11-10 07:43
  5668. #5668DMiller2022-11-10 14:05

    Very nice Yacht, not sure I could back into a delivery that far with brakes submerged, in Salt Water?.

  5669. #5669Truck Shop2022-11-11 03:32

    A nice old photo of a 30's KW shovel nose.

  5670. #5670Hank R2022-11-12 07:33
  5671. #5671Hank R2022-11-13 07:12
  5672. #5672DMiller2022-11-13 11:18

    Old Dodge brings back terrifying memories!!

  5673. #5673Hank R2022-11-14 07:45
  5674. #5674Truck Shop2022-11-14 07:52

    That's a early mid 40's KW------no vent windows in doors.

  5675. #5675DMiller2022-11-14 08:06

    Nice find! Wedge brakes, Unggh! At least had park chambers. Walking beam suspension, frame been sectioned, later drive train?

  5676. #5676525isx2022-11-14 08:06

    and stopmasters !

  5677. #5677Truck Shop2022-11-14 08:59

    42 to 48ish, be interesting to know what power it has.

  5678. #5678Birken Vogt2022-11-14 09:28

    Black license plate, issued 1963-70.

  5679. #5679Hank R2022-11-15 16:46

    This next group of pictures are from Jim Stolth his father Bert drove for Commercial truck and crane. Bert had several close calls

  5680. #5680Truck Shop2022-11-15 17:39

    Hank when did you photo this truck, hope someone was going to keep it.

  5681. #5681Hank R2022-11-15 17:59

    August 28, 2014, Dennis bought it took here in Princeton, then moved back to Vancouver Island and he has plans to keep this truck as he is a KW man and has owned over 40 KW truck not all at once.

  5682. #5682Truck Shop2022-11-15 18:32

    Would be a nice one restored to original, thanks Hank--I like those old KW's too.

  5683. #5683Hank R2022-11-16 07:27
  5684. #5684Hank R2022-11-17 07:43

    November 1974 Bert suffered a serious injury, when a Pre Cast beam he was hauling to the top of Burnaby Mt. Slid forward when turning around on top of Mountain . the beams he was hauling were for the University Gym roof.

  5685. #5685JaredV2022-11-17 08:19

    Those GMCs had a face only a mother could love. I hope the guy hanging onto the back of the steer car was well compensated!

  5686. #568656wrench2022-11-17 09:04

    Actually, i like the look of those old GMC trucks. Definitely different

  5687. #5687DMiller2022-11-17 11:20

    Preferred those to some other makes

  5688. #5688Truck Shop2022-11-17 12:22

    Like a IH 190------------pew.

  5689. #5689DMiller2022-11-17 12:23

    Hog nosed nasty!!

  5690. #5690Truck Shop2022-11-17 19:13

    From ugly to beautiful-1935 REO Speed Wagon.

  5691. #5691kshansen2022-11-17 19:23

    Now that there is purtty! And just had to add this:

  5692. #5692DMiller2022-11-17 19:23

    Sweet!!

  5693. #5693Hank R2022-11-18 07:30

    This is the cab where Bert had major injuries then when he recovered he got this Ford and Bert on right with dark hair.

  5694. #569456wrench2022-11-18 08:44

    I hated those ugly old saddle tanks

  5695. #5695BSAA65LB2022-11-18 10:14
  5696. #5696Truck Shop2022-11-18 21:13

    International built very few of these.

  5697. #5697mitch5042022-11-18 22:50

    Huh, I've always kept an eye out for transtar IIs, never seen a double sleeper. Hank, did you notice Bert is wearing rubber boots with his tux?

  5698. #5698Hank R2022-11-18 23:04

    Yes i did I was told the reason why but can not find my paper with information. Did you notice how well the cement beams were fastened don in the mid 60's

  5699. #5699JPV2022-11-18 23:06

    That setup would make the overload of the day thread here for sure!

  5700. #5700mitch5042022-11-18 23:07

    looks like they were really just wedged into a cradle

  5701. #5701Hank R2022-11-19 07:35
  5702. #5702Truck Shop2022-11-19 07:41

    Seen one, worked on one. Had a KTA 525, owner made a trip a week to southern Cal, he put 1.2K on it before he traded it.

  5703. #5703colson042022-11-19 08:33

    Had the big motor on that one, eh?

  5704. #5704DMiller2022-11-19 09:47

    At a 45 degree tilt up would have been a bear to do anything to that.

  5705. #5705Hank R2022-11-19 11:39
  5706. #5706Truck Shop2022-11-19 15:49

    One of ours I brought back yesterday {totaled} knocked the engine back 12"plus inches. Freezing fog and rain near La Grande Ore on Thursday morning. He was down to 15 mph when he impacted the ass end of a flatbed. And two brand new waiting on the sidelines, except for graphics, ready to go.

  5707. #5707DMiller2022-11-19 16:26

    Damn

  5708. #5708Truck Shop2022-11-19 18:41

    One of the few I hadn't got on the hook but I finally snagged it.

  5709. #5709mitch5042022-11-19 23:43

    Dang, 15 mph did that?

  5710. #5710mitch5042022-11-19 23:45

    Dang, 15 mph did that?

  5711. #5711Bluox2022-11-19 23:48

    No it was the sudden stop of 105,000 LBS. Bob

  5712. #5712mitch5042022-11-19 23:52

    Well, yeah, you got me there...

  5713. #5713Hank R2022-11-20 07:18
  5714. #5714DMiller2022-11-20 07:48

    The average person at home has ZERO Clue what it takes to keep their little world flowing and fluid.

  5715. #5715crane operator2022-11-20 07:56

    At least you got spares. How long between ordering the new truck, and it hitting the road? Does freightliner put the drop axle on it for you on the line, at the dealer, or is that aftermarket?

  5716. #5716Hank R2022-11-20 08:04

    In 2015 my step son went to Mexico and this passed them and then they got pictures.

  5717. #5717DMiller2022-11-20 08:10

    Now THAT's FUNNY!!!

  5718. #5718Truck Shop2022-11-20 15:31

    Right now 4 to 5 month wait which is pretty fast, because it was taking so long a year plus ago many cancelled their orders. The trucks we buy are spec'ed with drop axle from factory, which is something I put unto play about 15 plus years ago. I wanted them produced with proper valving and air line routing plus I wanted them factory Huck Riveted incorporating a crossmember at the junction. With controls and gauge built into dash instead of a after thought. Way less problems doing it that way plus the price if drop axle and with factory installation costs about $1,400 less. It has to go through the design department and if there is problems it's covered under warranty to 250K. When ordering a trucks it's always best to receive it ready to go, never going to save money trying to do add on's. When they arrive-I have to install dash cams, e-logs, air hoses for trailer, go over the service/grease and check all fluids, set tire psi, make sure everything operates as should. The last 16 tractors came with drum brakes {also because of my requests}--But all of those were adjusted incorrectly from the factory, only 3/8" stroke, I had to readjust everyone to 1 1/4". Can't just assume because it's new everything is right.

  5719. #5719Truck Shop2022-11-20 15:34

    I've had this photo for awhile-one of my favorites. This truck would look {Grand} with Lund Farms on the doors. What do you folks think?.

  5720. #5720DMiller2022-11-20 15:37

    While at Feld/GELCO we did essentially Dealer Style in service inspections, even set our own decals and unit numbers. I cannot ever remember a truck coming into the shops BRAND New that did not have a list of equipment warranty repairs, adjustments, changes. Always Something wrong. What year 900A?

  5721. #5721Truck Shop2022-11-20 15:50

    That's a 1979--IIRC.

  5722. #5722Hank R2022-11-20 15:51

    Better with my name on the door

  5723. #5723Truck Shop2022-11-20 15:57

    I would like my name on it too-but can't afford it, cheaper to just look at it.

  5724. #5724petepilot2022-11-20 18:24

    that would look good with anybodys name

  5725. #5725Hank R2022-11-21 07:09
  5726. #5726BSAA65LB2022-11-21 08:20
  5727. #5727Old Doug2022-11-21 10:43

    I have been trying to build a pass side step on my truck so the Dot person can get in for my test. Its factory set up was removed when the LP tank was put on . I have been about to fight with my self trying to come up with something. What ever i do i plan to take the lower part off as soon as or if i pass the test.

  5728. #5728Old Doug2022-11-21 22:23

    I got something built i haven't come to like the looks of it yet but it works very good. I had to build my courage up to post a picture or i just screwed up.

  5729. #5729Old Doug2022-11-21 22:24

    I got something built i haven't come to like the looks of it yet but it works very good.

  5730. #5730DMiller2022-11-22 05:46

    If it works is all that matters.

  5731. #5731Hank R2022-11-22 07:23

    These few are from Kevin Murray, as he said he was in coffin at the back.

  5732. #5732DMiller2022-11-22 09:22

    That is what I remembered in the PNW when out there 79/80

  5733. #5733Truck Shop2022-11-22 19:12

    Corned Beef Hash, three eggs over med, with choice of toast and coffee 99 cents.

  5734. #5734DMiller2022-11-22 19:21

    And Ice Cream cones $.05!!!

  5735. #5735Truck Shop2022-11-22 19:25

    I'll set and enjoy one with you under the veranda.

  5736. #5736Hank R2022-11-23 07:35
  5737. #5737BSAA65LB2022-11-23 20:03
  5738. #5738BSAA65LB2022-11-23 20:04
  5739. #5739Hank R2022-11-24 07:18
  5740. #5740Old Doug2022-11-24 08:25

    I wondered what would happen to the steeror if a tire blowed?

  5741. #5741Old Doug2022-11-24 09:03

    Dad back in the 70s bought trucks from Guys . He also bought and sold about every thing manly building supplys. This Rig didnt have a engine and would later be sold for storage . The first house on this farm was on a hill with the barn and his story building at the bottom of the hill by the road. Then up past the house was a place he parked trucks to be sold. For some resone this rig ended up at the house and was loaded with house doors. He thought we would push it backwards then turn it around coast it down the hill and unload the doors. So me brother and Dad pushed it back by hand but things went bad and it ended up in the basement drive. The load almost broke the rear doors off when it hit the ground.

  5742. #5742Hank R2022-11-24 15:27

    Kevin told me he was glad to be sitting on the other side of that steer car. Only road noise and then boom. scared the sh__ out of him. He will never forget that trip... picture says it all.

  5743. #5743Old Doug2022-11-25 07:50

    I was standing alog the highway when a truck in the other lane blowed a trailer tire . I coudnt believe the sound and the shower of rubber.

  5744. #5744DMiller2022-11-25 07:55

    Can relate Doug, watched a Pacing car to a semi, trailer had a blowout, car swerved into median, sounded like a cannon! Not quite as fun or funny as a pacing car to a Pot Bullrack, Summer time, Convertible with top down and evidently a cow or calf inside had scour had also backed up to a side port on trailer where shot **** across the car windshield like a fire hose. I almost wrecked as was laughing so hard, **** IN Car, on W.S, driver took next exit and was hurling.

  5745. #5745Hank R2022-11-25 10:39

    Back in the mid 70's Stop and go Traffic, I was in my Jeep in Calgary near the stock yards, a cattle liner middle lane I stayed in right lane left a large opening. A Trans Am with T top roof off cut in front of me top was open and some old cow on top shelf of trailer let go with 10 gallons of pea and I laughed hard and blew my horn will never forget that sight.

  5746. #5746Hank R2022-11-25 10:42
  5747. #5747Hank R2022-11-26 07:48

    Following few pictures are from John Draper collection first couple from stockyards in Calgary..

  5748. #5748Hank R2022-11-26 07:50
  5749. #5749Truck Shop2022-11-26 07:56

    Late 50's Freightliner above.

  5750. #5750Hank R2022-11-26 08:21

    Your right as pictures were in 59 or 60. TS you and I are early raisers in the west I slept in to 4:30 today me bad.

  5751. #5751DMiller2022-11-26 08:30

    Been awake here since 4 myself.

  5752. #5752BSAA65LB2022-11-26 09:18
  5753. #5753DMiller2022-11-26 09:49

    Crackerbox sardine cans.

  5754. #5754mitch5042022-11-26 12:57

    That GMC reminds me of my first girlfriend...so ugly she's almost cute!

  5755. #5755Birken Vogt2022-11-26 13:36

    At least it has air conditioning.

  5756. #5756DMiller2022-11-26 15:01

    With that much glass did not do much

  5757. #5757Truck Shop2022-11-26 17:28

    The original {Slab Cab}, insulation was about non existent-Freeze or Fry take your pick.

  5758. #5758Truck Shop2022-11-27 07:42

    Good morning Hank!

  5759. #5759Hank R2022-11-27 07:45

    In the early 60's John spend driving the RCMP musicial ride around BC. Osoyoos BC

  5760. #5760DMiller2022-11-27 07:45

    Mornin to BOTH of you!! Already on fourth cup of coffee, breakfast dishes done and wife still in bed.

  5761. #5761Hank R2022-11-27 07:50

    Sounds like you made a good husband, coffee almost ready wife will smell it and be up in 5

  5762. #5762BSAA65LB2022-11-27 08:52
  5763. #5763Truck Shop2022-11-27 10:48

    High Binder.

  5764. #5764Truck Shop2022-11-27 17:33

    A line up of old dead KW's

  5765. #5765Truck Shop2022-11-27 17:37

    A 1936 and a 1956 F750.

  5766. #5766farmerlund2022-11-27 19:09

    Hell ya. I love those trucks. I would rather spend $100k on a totally redone one than a newer POS.

  5767. #5767mitch5042022-11-27 20:36

    What's the yellow one at the back of the line of KWs?

  5768. #5768DMiller2022-11-27 20:39

    VS or some consider R210 or 220

  5769. #5769Truck Shop2022-11-27 21:22

    S200 IH powered by a 549 gas, main & aux, tandem on spring beam hendrickson.

  5770. #5770mitch5042022-11-27 22:07

    I thought it was an S200, thanks

  5771. #5771Hank R2022-11-28 06:55
  5772. #5772JaredV2022-11-28 08:16

    What am I looking at in front of the High Binder in that last picture? A dump truck piggybacking a transfer wagon?

  5773. #5773Truck Shop2022-11-28 08:55

    Looks like a B model Mack with some after frame?

  5774. #5774DMiller2022-11-28 09:27

    Was thinking appeared a Roll off Dump Bed with a Top loaded Pup frame and slide in bed. Cannot say ever saw that done before but Great PNW was known for some weird tricks with trucks!!!!

  5775. #5775Hank R2022-11-28 10:20

    Yes your right a copper mine opened up in central BC and a fleet of these Mack's hauled copper to the coast, I can not remember the name of the mine (Bethlehem) copper near Logan Lake. There used to be 3 mines very close together there.

  5776. #5776Truck Shop2022-11-28 18:26

    I had posted this in the Any Brand Log Truck thread under Logging Equipment also. Same Pete years apart, the color photo was taken in the last ten years I'm thinking.

  5777. #5777DMiller2022-11-28 18:29

    LP?

  5778. #5778Truck Shop2022-11-28 18:36

    111

  5779. #5779Truck Shop2022-11-28 18:39

    Hall Scott --butane.

  5780. #5780DMiller2022-11-28 18:51

    Forgot Butane popularity

  5781. #5781Birken Vogt2022-11-28 20:07

    Is that an actual butane tank, like 100 psi service pressure? Having worked in the propane industry, I have heard of butane fuel but seen precious little evidence of its existence. Never come across an actual butane tank in the wild except one I can think of that is being used for diesel fuel.

  5782. #5782Truck Shop2022-11-28 20:47

    Correct. Notice the rounded ends of the tank.

  5783. #5783Truck Shop2022-11-28 20:50

    Butane ran it's coarse with the old multifuel engines like Hall Scott. When those engines became obsolete so did the idea of butane as fuel.

  5784. #5784JaredV2022-11-28 21:33

    Looking at that dump truck some more, the boxes appear to be the same size so no chance of transferring. I see now the truck has frame sticking out the back which would mean the material has to fall through it when dumping so I guess there's no reason the trailer can't do the same. I'm guessing someone looked at a short logger and said why can't we do that with a dump truck? Must have had to climb a steep winding road on the way to the mine.

  5785. #5785Truck Shop2022-11-28 21:55

    No need to cut the after frame when done using as dump go back to logging.

  5786. #5786Birken Vogt2022-11-28 22:47

    I meant, is it not a propane tank? Could run either propane or butane in one of those. Nowadays, you can't get butane even if you want it.

  5787. #5787Truck Shop2022-11-29 06:46

    And your correct, either/or.

  5788. #5788Hank R2022-11-29 07:10

    John started hauling produce in the late 50's, his pride and joy was this Kenworth. He bought this truck with out a sleeper and on one of his first trips south he had this Mercury sleeper installed, for 50% less than Kenworth in Canada wanted.

  5789. #5789DMiller2022-11-29 07:28

    Cannot be many functional Hall Scott engines remaining.

  5790. #5790Old Doug2022-11-29 08:45

    I would like to know if it has a 2 tanks. My truck has 1 tank that is bigger than that one with half the engine. In reality i can go as far as a truck running on gasoline but do to accessibility of places to refuel it seems like a very small tank. I need another tank maybe 20 gallons. Then i could go another 50 miles. Propane was $2.00 a gallon and right now gas is just over $3.00. They say they use more propane i have worked around 3 place that run propane trucks but no one cared about mileage so i dont know.

  5791. #5791mowingman2022-11-29 10:35

    From past experience, I can tell you that propane results in terrible fuel mileage. The cost can , and usually is, made up by the much cheaper fuel cost/gal. In 1996 school buses, with Allison automatics and 366 V8 engines, we got around 5 miles/gal. In Bluebirds, with V10 engines and Allison automatics, we were getting 4 - 4.5 MPG on propane. Not very fuel efficient for sure, but, the Feds were paying about half the cost of each new propane-powered bus. Plus giving the schools some rebate on propane purchased. Today, propane power is not really the answer to anything, unless subsidized by Fed,(read taxpayer) money. Jeff

  5792. #5792Birken Vogt2022-11-29 11:14

    There is a huge box van that delivers uniforms/laundry to the next shop over. It is propane powered. For a couple weeks it was a whole lot of crank-no start, you could tell the driver had some kind of rhythm to it and could get it to go eventually. Otherwise it seems to work all right.

  5793. #5793Truck Shop2022-11-29 11:29

    The thing propane likes is high compression, it works well with 11.1 ratio. Lower compression ratio engines don't do well and have poor mileage as a result.

  5794. #5794Truck Shop2022-11-29 19:30

    Fairly sure this photo was on the cover of Overdrive Magazine years ago. maybe not.

  5795. #5795Truck Shop2022-11-29 21:52

    2023 Mack plow truck.

  5796. #5796skyking12022-11-30 02:10

    massive super single drive tires.

  5797. #5797Pony2022-11-30 05:52

    I can see two good reasons why that photograph should have been on the cover of a magazine.

  5798. #5798Hank R2022-11-30 07:07

    The town of Princeton bought this truck in 2010 for putting up Christmas lights and banners etc.

  5799. #5799kshansen2022-11-30 09:49

    Must be fun crank starting that Mack with the plow and crap in the way! Maybe we should have mounted a plow on the one in my picture to the left?

  5800. #5800Hank R2022-11-30 11:40

    Question how new can one post pictures on here as I have run out of oldies??

  5801. #5801Truck Shop2022-11-30 12:05

    Hank--you just post what ever you want, wheel barrows on up.

  5802. #5802Hank R2022-12-01 07:06

    Hayes Canyon here had 3 plow sand trucks for logging roads the newest one was a fancy star with all the Bells and toys.

  5803. #5803Truck Shop2022-12-01 07:24

    111

  5804. #5804DMiller2022-12-01 07:39

    A Lot of truck, makes Midwestern plows look cheap.

  5805. #5805Truck Shop2022-12-01 07:44

    You should see the two lane plows we have here.

  5806. #5806Hank R2022-12-01 10:56
  5807. #580756wrench2022-12-01 11:01

    I hated working on plow trucks. Stuff froze up or sand/salt/calcium slop dripping on you if you had to be underneath

  5808. #5808Hank R2022-12-01 19:26

    Only good thing Dana only did logging roads no salt or calcium,

  5809. #5809Truck Shop2022-12-01 21:00

    1972 last of the small windshield 359's with fiberglass hood, under 300,000 miles.

  5810. #5810JaredV2022-12-01 23:25

    I've long dreamed of having a belly blade on a dump truck when hauling with a fleet in the woods. Soft spot forms in the haul route? Just spread a load of 3"- over it and slick it off smooth instead of just raising the whole thing up and still having a bump until the grader comes through next year. I have no idea what they are capable of in terms of pushing rock, but it's fun to think about.

  5811. #5811Hank R2022-12-02 06:51

    Dana had problems with snow build up and heat from the engine etc on a regen.

  5812. #5812Hank R2022-12-03 07:32

    To slow down or stop all the exhaust heat melting the snow on the turntable of the underbody he installed a piece of belting. Then it got almost to hot under the cab so 2 fans were installed under the cab , this worked very well.

  5813. #5813Old Doug2022-12-03 08:52

    One problem fix makes a new problem.

  5814. #5814Hank R2022-12-04 07:13

    Just North of town above our Airport.

  5815. #5815Truck Shop2022-12-04 18:47
  5816. #5816Truck Shop2022-12-04 20:34

    First KW Bull Nose built {1949} KDC825C.

  5817. #5817Bumpsteer2022-12-04 23:34

    That short wheelbase makes my back hurt.....had to be a miserable ride. Ed

  5818. #5818Hank R2022-12-05 07:09
  5819. #5819Truck Shop2022-12-05 07:19

    Kept drivers awake, married 4x3, no power steering, no air seat, not much insulation. actually had to be driven.

  5820. #5820DMiller2022-12-05 07:55

    Current issue with all vehicles, they Drive the Person in the Seat not the other way round.

  5821. #582156wrench2022-12-06 04:08

    Auto-shifts even more so

  5822. #5822Hank R2022-12-06 07:38
  5823. #5823Truck Shop2022-12-06 07:44

    AC Mack making a exit at Brooklyn branch Mack.

  5824. #5824DMiller2022-12-06 07:49

    Parking brake needed a little adjust!!

  5825. #5825Old Doug2022-12-06 08:24

    I would like to see the elevator they used in that building.

  5826. #582656wrench2022-12-07 02:11

    I am assuming if there was a driver in that old Mack, he had brown underwear after that

  5827. #5827Hank R2022-12-07 07:10

    In May or June when roads start to dry up. Dana goes and does culvert check and other jobs with his hoe.

  5828. #5828colson042022-12-07 13:02

    That looks like a bad day

  5829. #5829Hank R2022-12-07 16:23

    Could of been worse, and Dana does not remove the under body plow for summer and that did not help.

  5830. #5830DMiller2022-12-07 17:22

    Not a good plan checking for bad culvert that way!!! BAD Day!!

  5831. #5831DMiller2022-12-07 17:42

    Needs Heavier Cables and a D8, REMOVE THE CENTER BLADE next time, then can bury it really well!!

  5832. #5832Hank R2022-12-08 07:18

    Spent a few day in this truck

  5833. #5833Truck Shop2022-12-08 21:02

    Below-1959-was the first year for the Uniglass hood.

  5834. #5834Hank R2022-12-09 07:22
  5835. #5835Old Doug2022-12-09 07:50

    What kind of air ride does the IH have ?

  5836. #5836Hank R2022-12-09 07:56

    You got me on that I never thought to look close at it.

  5837. #583756wrench2022-12-09 08:25

    Newway?

  5838. #5838DMiller2022-12-09 10:08

    Old White Compact looks neglected, and for GOOD Cause!! Corn queens look to be hanging in there.

  5839. #5839Hank R2022-12-09 10:48

    The white Nobody is just a yard tractor for moving trailers around.

  5840. #5840mitch5042022-12-09 13:26

    Is that air ride on Nobody some kind of low-high lift for yard duty? Other than that, it looks exactly like the '77 Loadstar my father bought new. I learned to drive in that truck at 9 yr old pulling an equipment trailer through the field so men could load hay bales.

  5841. #5841DMiller2022-12-09 13:39

    Little Turquois Low Cab Forward is a White Compact!!

  5842. #5842Hank R2022-12-10 07:08
  5843. #5843DMiller2022-12-10 07:12

    Bad day, get it out without dumping the whole mess?

  5844. #5844catman132022-12-10 07:29

    why didnt they put that on a log truck

  5845. #5845Truck Shop2022-12-10 07:35

    Didn't have air ride factory, needed for yard goat with trailers dropped too low.

  5846. #5846Truck Shop2022-12-10 07:39

    Probably hauled in from somewhere else by that truck and didn't want to deal with a reload. Would have needed Tugger2.

  5847. #5847BSAA65LB2022-12-10 09:09
  5848. #5848Tugger22022-12-10 09:13

    Or maybe the boys from Highway thru Hell . Concrete logging road bridge girders .HEAVY . Need short ugly old trailers and go slow. Did this bridge last summer ,road was an easy haul in but still transfered the parts from the highway haulers onto our old trailers.

  5849. #5849colson042022-12-10 11:42

    What tires/tread do you have on the drives on that truck?

  5850. #5850DMiller2022-12-10 11:49

    Appear to be Ironheads, local here buys that tread pattern those have. Not sure where produced.

  5851. #5851Birken Vogt2022-12-10 13:39

    We used to run something like that, Oliver Waste Hauler Lug (WHL) caps, worked very well. Firestone made some like that we had too but they were 10r20 and don't remember the model.

  5852. #5852Tugger22022-12-10 14:54

    Thats the Western Star belonging to the guys i work for. Hate to say but i think those are the Chinese ones . I run the same on my Kenworth,they seem pretty good.

  5853. #58538V712022-12-10 15:36

    My dad gave my 16 year old son this “76” 359. He was working on it now he’s got a girlfriend and a jeep, so there it sits. I think he’s a bigger truck nut than I am.

  5854. #5854Birken Vogt2022-12-10 15:51

    What a great truck, it's a tragedy he will not be able to do much with it in this state.

  5855. #5855Truck Shop2022-12-10 16:13

    Firestone T831's

  5856. #5856Truck Shop2022-12-10 16:18

    Small Cam 350--compression release. Nice truck btw.

  5857. #5857Hank R2022-12-10 17:04

    A real truck with 2 sticks Love it...

  5858. #5858Truck Shop2022-12-10 20:54

    An interesting combination, 80's 359 cab with 351 aluminum tilt hood. Not the first but nice.

  5859. #5859Hank R2022-12-11 07:53

    July 2011 our mine just opened and Arrow bought 6 new Stars for the haul.

  5860. #5860DMiller2022-12-11 08:45

    Now those are a different take on side dumps.

  5861. #5861BSAA65LB2022-12-11 09:21
  5862. #5862Hank R2022-12-11 12:19

    The Arrow trucks dump sideway ways , each trailer has a big hook for a chain to hook to as well as the truck , the whole unit tips up on the left side. The thought behind this is there is more Copper Concentrate payload can be carried on each trip. Also if a truck goes down trailers can be hooked up to any other trucks they have in their fleet.

  5863. #5863Truck Shop2022-12-11 12:45

    If I was to rebuild another truck it would be a Star of this era. One of my favorite truck designs. Other than a B model with retarder and jakes, it would look like this--stock as a rock.

  5864. #5864Hank R2022-12-11 13:04

    Mid 70's in Kelowna BC where the Stars were being build back then.

  5865. #5865Birken Vogt2022-12-11 13:05

    Do you have the magic touch to make the retarder work and not leak? There are those who say it can't be done.

  5866. #5866Truck Shop2022-12-11 14:47

    Resealed several-Most leaked after a reseal because wrong O-rings were used. Plus Cat up graded the replacement rings to a better material to handle the heat. Last one I did ran 500K before any weeping started. But for a real strong retarder a little know trick -replace the 3406 stator for a 3408 stator, just have to keep a eye on oil temp a little more.

  5867. #5867Tugger22022-12-11 15:00

    Arrow has been at it a long time around Vancouver BC. Cranes and heavy lift to. Heres one of thier early rigs. The shovel say Mc kenzie on the side i think . maybe part of Mckenzie Barge and Derrick.

  5868. #5868Truck Shop2022-12-11 15:25

    Great photo Tugger! This White Wester Star had 14" added to the hood.--I just don't under stand why people would make a hood longer.

  5869. #5869Truck Shop2022-12-11 15:26
  5870. #5870Truck Shop2022-12-11 15:30

    Cummins assembly in the early 50's, notice the supercharged 300 in foreground.

  5871. #5871JaredV2022-12-11 15:40

    I see 8 luggers on that last Star. What was the idea on those? The boss bought a chip trailer with them and swapped to 10 lugs right away for compatibility with the spares that we keep mounted. Tried to sell the wheels to the tire shop who said he had a pile of them out back already.

  5872. #5872Truck Shop2022-12-11 15:46

    Those were common and uncommon at the same time, TAS ran those on their Pete's back in the early 90's also. Don't really know the idea behind them-scrap aluminum these days.

  5873. #5873emmett5182022-12-11 16:07

    What is this? It's cute!

  5874. #5874JaredV2022-12-11 16:47

    White 3000

  5875. #5875DMiller2022-12-11 17:39

    Still trying to figure make on the Fuel Tanker.

  5876. #5876DMiller2022-12-11 17:59

    Hopefully the Hood Stretcher put assist on that heavy b*****d, never liked popping one of the normal ones up, that one would be a bear. Kelowna Cabs were rust monsters, Wonder how many are still out there NOT Swiss Cheeze.

  5877. #5877Truck Shop2022-12-11 18:15

    Probably not any worse than a W900L, the T990's are not light either. There's still a few with good cabs. KW's of that vintage most have stress cracks all over the fiberglass roof cap. Pete has there issues too.

  5878. #5878Truck Shop2022-12-11 18:32

    1931 Chevy with a tag, rad emblem, amount of door hinges, hood louvers, headlights, fenders, visor match.

  5879. #587956wrench2022-12-12 02:57

    I recently sold my old ‘79 Star to my bil. Cab was still good. I did replace the angle-iron hood hinge crossmember that was fibreglassed into the hood though about 25 years ago

  5880. #5880Hank R2022-12-12 07:29
  5881. #5881DMiller2022-12-12 08:16

    Winch wagon is a Heavy Brute!! Planetaries also slow it considerably!!

  5882. #5882Hank R2022-12-13 07:13
  5883. #5883BSAA65LB2022-12-13 08:14
  5884. #5884DMiller2022-12-13 08:17

    So amazing when get around the older trucks how small they really were.

  5885. #5885Truck Shop2022-12-13 09:02

    GVW was low in those days.

  5886. #5886DMiller2022-12-13 09:48

    Almost like 450/550 series trucks today.

  5887. #5887Truck Shop2022-12-13 19:37

    Rare twin steer Slab Cab Jimmy with 40 ton Holmes 850. Were modified by another company using the GM cab front frame section.

  5888. #5888Truck Shop2022-12-13 19:39

    This is interesting.

  5889. #5889DMiller2022-12-13 19:47

    Thats just frightening!!

  5890. #5890Truck Shop2022-12-13 19:54

    I think it's funny that someone would go to that extent, the all new Ford N series K100.

  5891. #5891DMiller2022-12-13 20:03

    Just Why!!!

  5892. #589256wrench2022-12-13 22:26

    I guess the builder couldn’t quite decide what he wanted and before he knew it he was done

  5893. #5893skyking12022-12-14 00:07

    Maybe there was a collision, like in space with voyager in the original Star Trek series. The two trucks limped off into the dorkness, no drivers, and just worked it out. Maybe it is an instructor truck, like in the airplanes. The instructor is the back seater.

  5894. #5894Hank R2022-12-14 07:06

    The GMC fuel truck was at our airport.

  5895. #5895BSAA65LB2022-12-14 08:43

    foto hoster

  5896. #5896Truck Shop2022-12-14 12:00

    That fuel truck reminds me of a 81 Brigadier the Ag company I worked for had. Farm fuel delivery spare truck, It only was used about every six months. Had a 3208 and air brakes, it could set six months and still have 100 psi on the air gauge.

  5897. #5897DMiller2022-12-14 12:50

    Been all over the KW, loses air in about six hours, soaping is not finding it. Hearing is bad enough cannot HEAR it.

  5898. #5898mitch5042022-12-14 13:13

    Is that crackerbox wrecker a tri-drive?

  5899. #5899Truck Shop2022-12-14 13:50

    Don't know.

  5900. #5900mitch5042022-12-14 13:54

    I just wondered because all 3 rear hubs look the same, and I thought tri-drive was a relatively recent development.

  5901. #5901DMiller2022-12-14 13:57

    All would have to do was add a Power Divider pot and banjo, connect in series as Mack used to do.

  5902. #5902mitch5042022-12-14 14:42

    Yeah, I just don't think I ever heard of one until probably the late '90s. Maybe they were just all in snow country.

  5903. #5903Truck Shop2022-12-14 19:38

    Tri-drives weren't allowed on highway in some NW states even in the 80's.

  5904. #5904Hank R2022-12-14 21:35

    It was also in mid 80's or late 80's before they were allowed here in BC.

  5905. #5905Hank R2022-12-15 07:00
  5906. #5906BSAA65LB2022-12-15 07:58
  5907. #5907Old Doug2022-12-15 08:22

    What amazes me is how light the drive lines ,axles and frames were. It almost makes me think they used better metals back then and processes back then. More like a 1/2 ton in the 70s.

  5908. #5908Old Doug2022-12-15 08:30

    This looks like something built in Mexico. Were the skill leave is high and labor is cheap.

  5909. #5909DMiller2022-12-15 09:05

    Those old machines were built of Virgin Steels, not the b*****d alloys we have from scrapyard steels being reprocessed. Do NOT care how well the process is monitored and devised or enganeared, still end up with odd metals properties in the steels as we saw in the 1950s, 60s, 70s as rust would form out of thin air in places one would consider unaffectable by design of the bodies. Family members worked at Laclede Steel Alton IL and Granite City Steel Granite City IL back in the day, reprocessed steel scrap was fed thru electric furnaces to make new steel, seems those coils ended up making automobiles in those days. Odd welding responses on a few machines from back then indicated steel was not so good a grade.

  5910. #5910Truck Shop2022-12-15 20:37

    Nice W9 but those rookie/chicken sticks need to go.

  5911. #5911Hank R2022-12-16 06:55
  5912. #5912Truck Shop2022-12-16 07:33

    Does that belong to Diamond T Guy?

  5913. #5913Hank R2022-12-16 07:35

    No it does not,

  5914. #5914BSAA65LB2022-12-16 08:39
  5915. #5915Truck Shop2022-12-16 10:09

    Those Stoodie diesels were not very common, on the rare side. Two stroke power. With a 4-71 there wasn't enough power to iron a bug on the windshield.

  5916. #5916mitch5042022-12-16 12:57

    Is that a Diamond T body on a pickup chassis?

  5917. #5917Truck Shop2022-12-16 13:34

    Whoodly Dangs.

  5918. #5918skyking12022-12-16 16:01

    Woah those are butt ugly.

  5919. #5919JaredV2022-12-16 16:54

    That maroon Peternational looks to be well done, or as well done as one can get.

  5920. #5920Truck Shop2022-12-16 17:22

    The payternantional {you have to say {Payter} like your from down south, is true to form like a GMC General. The General was just a nose attached/fitted to a Astro cab.

  5921. #5921Hank R2022-12-16 18:15

    Yes it is on a Dodge and Cummins powered.

  5922. #5922Hank R2022-12-16 18:19

    My friend Rob caught this LW at Jasper Alberta on Thursday, Thunder Valley towing.

  5923. #5923Truck Shop2022-12-16 21:57

    When I ran BC. I saw this truck three times, once at Portman scale where I talked to the owner. Arnold De Jong, he was a real nice guy. 1965 Hayes Clipper-real nice rig he really took care of it. I post this as I just stumbled upon it-apparently he and his wife were murdered this last spring in their home in Abbotsford BC. Sad. He was real proud of that Clipper.

  5924. #5924bccat2022-12-16 23:25

    Just heard that they have 3 young punks in custody, bloody shame

  5925. #5925Hank R2022-12-17 07:31
  5926. #5926Truck Shop2022-12-17 07:41

    Boise Cascade has a tilt deck at the Wallula paper plant. IIRC they lost one off the side some years back. We have a trailer right now that was in a wreck with a shifted load of coating for french fries. It will go to Finley Buttes landfill near Boardman Or., they have a tilt.

  5927. #5927Old Doug2022-12-17 08:28

    A book with lots of picture of factory and home brewed trucks with cab overs made into conventional and conventionals made into cabovers would be good . Like IH visionliners , Generals , and trucks made out of vans .

  5928. #5928DMiller2022-12-17 09:24

    Crazy buggers where I bought some of my GM parts was a GM Dealer awhile. Pierson GMC at one time, have a Suburban on a C7000 running gear. Shop in photo burned last year, still not rebuilding. Pierson & Son Trucks – Grain Trucks, Used Trucks, Used Truck Sales (piersonandsontrucks.com)

  5929. #5929Old Doug2022-12-17 10:21

    When i was in high school there were alot of different body rigs around but then it took 10 years to get 100.000 miles on a vehicle by then the body was rusted away . So the body was removed and another body from the presalt era was put on. I kept trying to figure out a body or cab made from some thing that wouldnt rust. I thought for a long time about a truck cab made out of a road tube .

  5930. #5930JaredV2022-12-17 11:35

    I've dumped a lot of chips but we don't have B trains down here. I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking at. Does the lead trailer dump though the front of the second trailer? It makes a lot more sense that way. I've seen those on the road up there and wondered how it would work to just dump the lead trailer over the 5th wheel and axles. When that stuff comes blasting out, seems like there's the potential to tear something up.

  5931. #59314x4ford2022-12-17 13:46
  5932. #5932Hank R2022-12-17 14:26

    In the first picture the back of lead trailer the bottom of door, not the door folds down over fifth wheel, then each side a a folds out to fill in the sides. the front of back trailer opens inward and back of lead opens into back trailer. the doors open with air latches.

  5933. #5933mitch5042022-12-17 19:28

    We had some tractor trailer dumps cleaning up loose chips around the paper mill and dumping them in the fuel chips. I was under a truck fixing a PTO shaft when a driver came running over to say a driver had turned his truck over in the chip dump. I looked and saw nothing. He pointed out a bulldog just peeking out of the hole. The genius had a hydraulic leak so he decided to use the dump, he just skipped the steps of raising the wall behind the tires, or hookng the chains on the front axle!

  5934. #5934Hank R2022-12-17 20:22

    About 15 years ago a set of trailers was on the dumper 75% up when one of the lift Hydraulic cylinders broke. It was a mess there I was out of town and did not get any pictures. They ended up with a whole new trailer dumper and both trailers were scrap.

  5935. #5935mitch5042022-12-17 21:18

    The same thing happened on that same fuel chip dump a few years ago, I wasn't doing anything for that mill by then so I didn't get much info. It totaled the tractor and trailer on the dump, and the dump.

  5936. #5936Truck Shop2022-12-17 21:21

    The one item that gets some is left idling when tilted.

  5937. #5937mitch5042022-12-17 21:26

    A guy my brother worked for had an old GMC with a Detroit. It was very hard to start for some reason (may not even have had a starter, it was that kind of outfit). They just left it running all day, it would knock while on the dump and quiet down a few seconds after coming down. lasted over a year, three loads a day.

  5938. #5938Truck Shop2022-12-17 21:35

    My kind of pickup, has some class.

  5939. #5939Truck Shop2022-12-17 21:39

    BTC has a several seize while on the tilt/dump.

  5940. #5940Hank R2022-12-18 06:54
  5941. #5941Truck Shop2022-12-18 07:10

    That Ford above started in 1941 and few built from there to 47. Very few were built between 43 and 45. Do you know what year that one is Hank?

  5942. #5942Hank R2022-12-18 07:27

    Sorry I do not but I wish it was mine.

  5943. #5943BSAA65LB2022-12-18 09:01
  5944. #5944JaredV2022-12-18 12:19

    I'm a creature of habit and do things without thinking about them and later can't remember if I did them. Many times I've gone back to the truck to make sure I shut it down. It always has been.

  5945. #594592U 34062022-12-18 13:29

    I hate this thread as much as I love it. Glad I at least got to catch the tail end of trucking's best era.

  5946. #5946Truck Shop2022-12-18 15:07

    Below is a photo of me, Christmas 1980. I looked older than I was then, now I just look old. Holding a one of a three book set on antique cars as a present, still have those three books, and not much else from that time. My memory is not as good as it was, but I still remember gliding out on Sunday mornings heading south sometimes as far as San Diego or over to Nogales once in awhile. Normally I just ran to the Bay area or south to LA. a lot of people don't realize it's 393 miles from Frisco to LA. Delivered to all the markets and grocery chains. Been in all the produce shippers at one time and most are still there. All the places I would make fuel stops, Corning mainly going south then stop again headed back north. Funny I can't remember all the good places there was to stop and eat but I sure can remember the bad ones. Remember being propositioned by the lot lizards at the Bakersfield truck stop. Pew. The scales were just like the ones today but some were notorious like Livingston on 99, Castaic just before climbing the Vine headed north, Shasta and Ridgefield. But the average driver didn't run around dressed in wife beater pants and tank tops, we did the best we could to look like we knew what we were doing, and 95% did then. Now days it's a free for all. We didn't have cell phones, a driver would stop and make a call from a bank of pay phones for his pickups on return trip. Normally called dispatch once a day, now it's a ear piece so they can yak at you anytime they want plus the E-log plus the dash cam plus the GPS. Know where your at every second. I knew a lot of other OO's in those days, might not see them for two months at a time. But most all were good in the business and generally good people. Life was a whole lot different then just like most things when compared to now. Would I do it again? only if I could go back in time and even then I can't say I would. Did I learn anything? I learned a lot---a lot about people. It was a part of my life that was a good experience, I can say that much. As far as the trucks---some were just trouble others were real good-My preference lies with KW first Pete second but that's just me, as long as the engines were yellow or tan I was happy. Also a photo like the 1980 110" cab KW with A model 400 I drove in 1980. Memories for us old truckers @Truck Shop .

  5947. #594792U 34062022-12-18 16:16

    I've always been a KW and Western Star fan myself. Probably the first truck I ever rode in was a late 80s/early 90s Western Star with a belly dump. Dad's first truck was a late 70s W900A with Cat power. First thing he did was toss the sleeper into the scrap pile and convert it over to a 5 axle logger. He practically rebuilt the truck front to back, all it really needed was the cab and hood painted. Ended up selling it to a company up in northern BC over 20 years ago. Apparently its still out making money.

  5948. #5948Hank R2022-12-18 16:30

    I guess this could happen more and more I wonder how much energy was in battery when it left Ford as it was -26 in Edmonton this morning?? Hank Just got from my friend Rob in Grande Prairie Alberta they also haul cars. One of our drivers had to pick up an electric Ford truck at the auto port in Edmonton and it wouldn’t start He didn’t know what to do with it so he left it. I never hauled a car back in older day did the old cars have problem starting, when they were off loaded from the rail to trucks??? In my mind the new care/trucks start much better than in the 60's???

  5949. #594992U 34062022-12-18 16:38

    I had an LS powered GM pickup. Never once plugged in during its entire life in -40. In the 6 winters I had it, the truck never once failed to start with 3-4 seconds of cranking. Even my old 360 Magnum started up in those temperatures without issue. Took about 2-3x more cranking time than the LS though mind you.

  5950. #5950colson042022-12-18 17:47

    All of my Ford trucks (1986, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2012) started well in the cold, but all had what seemed like a longer crank period than my friends Chevy trucks. My current truck (2008 F350 with v10) definitely cranks longer before starting that anything else I've owned, but it always starts. I've done the tune up, changed filters, etc, but nothing has changed. No lack of performance either. As for old memories and first truck ride: My grandpa had a pair of Chevy 6500s with big gas engines for hauling grain and silage when I was a kid. I spent a lot of time in those screaming loud Chevys. By the time I was old enough to start driving, we had three Ford silage/grain trucks with diesel engines. I didn't have my license 4 months before I was put behind the wheel of a mid 80s F750 with a 16ft silage bed. It had the 6.6l Ford diesel and a 6 speed transmission, hydraulic brakes. I drove that truck several seasons before moving to a bigger truck.

  5951. #5951DMiller2022-12-18 17:59

    You ARE a young Pup!! Started out Bale wagon Stacker, on friends farm, could not work on self equipment at Great Aunt's until was 11, back in the 1960s. Ford F500 V8 Gas, Four Speed non synchro Low, two speed for bales and ear corn wagon, could barely reach pedals. As bale stacker was 9, had to learn 'Leverage' to get them up on rows so they set me on the rows to square up what the others threw. Old Deere R models, Minne Diesels, a few odd gas IH and Deere or a Ferguson. Had to be able to help fix when points closed up or as a couple pin broke. As work got more serious we were left behind to feed and clean stalls or chicken houses. Bust square bales in the loft so could drop pads into manger with a Sprinkling of Grains. When I was 15 got to Detassle Feed Corn, paper sacks and crimper for the sacks, on a belt, and a corn knife, cut tassle, split two pieces, into separate bags, slide over ear silks or may not get a good enough harvest!!! Walking in old wider rows, leaf cut to beat the band and ALWAYS Sunburnt.

  5952. #5952Truck Shop2022-12-18 18:20

    First truck I drove was the 47 Studebaker 2 ton on the farm, I was 10.

  5953. #5953Truck Shop2022-12-18 18:28

    Hard to beat fuel injection for fast cold starts. The ignition of today compared to that of 1973 down is just about sure fire coupled with injection. The variables with point type ignition was really a issue combined with a carb that was out of adjustment for choke or the choke stove didn't work at all.

  5954. #5954Hank R2022-12-18 19:11
  5955. #5955mitch5042022-12-18 21:02

    That ain't a memory, Hank. That's a fantasy!

  5956. #5956Bumpsteer2022-12-18 23:52

    Or a nightmare if you ever drove one.... Ed

  5957. #5957mitch5042022-12-19 00:08

    You'll get along better with her if you convince her she wants to go that way, rather than driving her!

  5958. #5958DMiller2022-12-19 06:08

    The old Flop Fenders were tough on tall boys. Late 50s early 60s dodge cab did not have much room, noise was a problem with half the engine in that cab with you. Now she is pleasant and LONG legged!!

  5959. #5959Truck Shop2022-12-19 07:29

    Until she reaches the age of hysterectomy, after that a R190 will look good and be your friend.

  5960. #5960Hank R2022-12-19 07:33

    If I remember right that was a picture out of a old Overdrive mag.

  5961. #5961Truck Shop2022-12-19 07:35

    That's correct Hank, early 70's.

  5962. #5962Hank R2022-12-19 07:41
  5963. #5963mitch5042022-12-19 09:00

    What was that Transtar II set up for?

  5964. #5964Hank R2022-12-19 10:58

    Sorry do not know never seen any one that knew.

  5965. #5965DMiller2022-12-19 11:42

    Appears a mobile office or sleeping quarters.

  5966. #5966Hank R2022-12-20 06:59
  5967. #5967BSAA65LB2022-12-20 09:04
  5968. #5968Bumpsteer2022-12-20 21:49

    Fruit stand.... Ed

  5969. #5969Hank R2022-12-21 07:03
  5970. #5970BSAA65LB2022-12-21 08:52
  5971. #5971Old Doug2022-12-21 11:24

    Every time i see a picture of a old Chevy truck or some other makes i try to think what it would be like driving one knowing how fragile the engine looked . I have a buddy thats dad hauled grain from Arkansas to Mo in a Late 40s Chevy semi . It took a week to make the trip that could be done in less than 2 days now. I wonder what one of those guys would have though about guys like me hauling as much or more weight in a pickup with the engine turning close to 4000 rpms .

  5972. #5972Truck Shop2022-12-21 19:16

    Only a few of us remember the Book Mobile.

  5973. #5973Truck Shop2022-12-21 21:22

    Another Frankenstinker, Ford called it at it's unveiling--The all new *** 9000.

  5974. #5974Truck Shop2022-12-21 21:22
  5975. #5975mitch5042022-12-21 22:04

    It was the highlight of my week when the bookmobile showed up, It was only a C30 step van, but the lady who drove it tried to get books she knew her steady clients would like.

  5976. #5976Hank R2022-12-21 22:28

    The Bookmobile I remember in Edmonton was a bus, I never got to go in but I remember seeing it.

  5977. #5977Camshawn2022-12-21 23:53

    I remember the bookmobile coming around when I was little before we had a big library (some kind of cube van?). Back then, Richmond BC was mostly farms with a collection of small VA subdivisions and a small core of about 3 blocks. Cam

  5978. #5978Camshawn2022-12-22 00:01

    I remember the bookmobile coming around when I was little before we had a big library (some kind of cube van?). Back then, Richmond BC was mostly farms with a collection of small VA subdivisions and a small core of about 3 blocks. Cam

  5979. #5979Hank R2022-12-22 07:01
  5980. #5980BSAA65LB2022-12-22 08:46
  5981. #5981Old Doug2022-12-22 10:46

    In the town i started school at the town had several small school building in different parts of town that was before buses but later they used the buildings for one grade each . So they had a book mobile. For some reason i liked to read and still do. Later on they set up small libraries but had a complete Dewey Decimal system so you could get books from the main library . One day a week we got to spend time in the library it was the high light of my week. In cleaning out the basement of this house i found a book that i had bought that brought back some old memories . I think once a month they would give out a flyer and you could buy paper back books. I always bought a couple .

  5982. #5982Hank R2022-12-22 11:59

    We had a library not far from our house and the Book Mobile bus would be parked at the back.

  5983. #5983stinky642022-12-22 15:40

    Remember back in the olden days when folks had to read books and retain knowledge to know stuff, nowadays any ding dong with a smartypants phone is the smartest guy around.

  5984. #5984Pony2022-12-22 16:05

    Didn't they call that a C cab or something like that?

  5985. #5985Truck Shop2022-12-22 17:59

    Actually the only thing a smartypants phone guy retains is the location of a jimmy johns or the best place to get a german dog. Other than that he retains nothing and is totally out of luck when his phone stops working-his pace maker just died.

  5986. #5986Truck Shop2022-12-22 20:04

    1938. Fageol, in 1939 became Peterbilt.

  5987. #5987Truck Shop2022-12-22 20:06

    1941 Pete.

  5988. #5988Truck Shop2022-12-22 21:08

    And a few Stars.

  5989. #5989Birken Vogt2022-12-22 22:06

    I find that if I let my phone Google GPS direct me as I drive I can't remember how to get there next time. If I look it up beforehand, it is easier to get there again.

  5990. #5990mitch5042022-12-22 22:11

    I know the top was in the White Western Star era, who owned it by, I am guessing, the late 80's when the bottom one came out?

  5991. #599156wrench2022-12-23 00:03

    I had a 79 White Western Star with the rectangular headlights and the new(at the time) grille and interior

  5992. #5992Hank R2022-12-23 06:49
  5993. #5993Old Doug2022-12-23 09:43

    I used my phone for the first time this fall to find 3 places. I was in a hurry and didnt look at the map other than to get there. I didnt know it till i got there on all 3 places but i had been next door to them several times but didnt know they were there . If i had taken a minute to look at the map i could have drove to them with out any help.

  5994. #5994Hank R2022-12-24 07:06
  5995. #599556wrench2022-12-24 09:49

    Nice plymouth truck

  5996. #5996mowingman2022-12-24 09:57

    Yes, and I like that big old tandem dump. I wonder if that is a gas rig? I am kind of a sucker for those big old gas dumps. If gas was not so expensive, (and insurance), I might just get me a big old dump for some part time work. Jeff

  5997. #5997Hank R2022-12-24 10:23

    Yes it is a gasser with Air.

  5998. #5998colson042022-12-24 10:36

    That is reminiscent of the first dump truck I ever got to ride in when I was a preschooler. We had two of them on the farm with forage boxes, both gas engine jobs with single axles rears. I can't count how many times we fought overheating issues in middle of summer while chopping haylage. For personal use, I would love to have a truck like that. Low maintenance, cheaper parts and fuel costs don't matter because it won't be used enough to make a difference. I screwed up selling my International while chasing a bigger truck a couple years ago.

  5999. #5999Birken Vogt2022-12-24 11:17

    There are a couple companies around here that run some of those old gassers with air. I suspect it is because everything old and diesel is outlawed here in Ca now and they can get them cheap and Billy Bob knows how to work on most of the parts. One outfit really seems to fix them up nice, for an old work truck at least.

  6000. #6000iant2022-12-24 14:46

    I turned 16 in 1977 and worked part time at a Chev Olds Cadillac dealer that sold a lot of heavy trucks. Those gas tandems were very popular at the time and I probably drove 100 brand new ones in the three years I worked there. Most had a 366 with a 5 and 4, but some had a 427 and there were even some with a 13 Speed behind the gas engine. I finally got a CDL twelve years later.

  6001. #6001Camshawn2022-12-24 15:05

    I had a friend who had a gasser 10 ton flat deck. He picked up here in the city and drove to the ferry. On the other side, a 50 min drive to the next ferry then a short drive into the shop. He felt that the diesel truck he had never got really warm enough on all the short trips and for him gas was better. It was also a lot cheaper then. Cam

  6002. #6002Birken Vogt2022-12-24 15:33

    I was once called to evaluate an old water truck of the tandem square GMC body. It had a straight 10 speed in it, that was strange seeing that shifter in an old truck where you would expect to see a 5+2 or something.

  6003. #6003mekanik2022-12-24 18:23

    I worked for a municipality when I got out of high school running a 644 John Deere loader loading dump trucks. The town owned a late 1970's Ford and a Chevy gas powered dump trucks. The Chevy had a 427 and a 5+4 I'm not sure what engine the Ford had but it had a 5+4 transmissions as well. The area was mostly flat ground except for a 1/4 mile 3% grade leaving the pit. At the end of the day after 8 hours the gas trucks burnt just shy of 50 Imperial gallons. There were a couple contractors that had diesel powered dump trucks, they were using just over 30 gallons a day.

  6004. #6004Truck Shop2022-12-24 18:53

    As a kid on the dairy farm the company that picked up the milk had several of these 7000 GMC's. All powered with 702 cu. in. V12's, basically two 351 cu. in. V-6's, with nothing more than a 5 spd and two speed axle. Single drive axle pulling a 35' two axle food grade tanker. Equipped with 4" chrome straight pipes you could hear it coming a long ways off. 702's really like the gas, the Jimmy ad is far from fact.

  6005. #6005Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:27
  6006. #6006Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:29
  6007. #6007Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:33
  6008. #6008Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:35
  6009. #6009Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:39
  6010. #6010Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:41
  6011. #6011Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:45
  6012. #6012Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:47
  6013. #6013Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:49
  6014. #6014Truck Shop2022-12-24 19:54
  6015. #6015Truck Shop2022-12-24 20:00
  6016. #6016Truck Shop2022-12-24 20:02
  6017. #6017Truck Shop2022-12-24 20:04

    Merry Christmas Folks.

  6018. #6018JaredV2022-12-24 20:13

    In the woods around here, some guys ran IH V-549s and Ford 534s. 100 gallons a day if it was an uphill haul.

  6019. #6019Truck Shop2022-12-24 20:43

    The problem with the 549's and 534's--longevity. The Hall Scotts on the other hand had most everyone beat when it came to longevity. Big 6's with a lot of iron cast into them plus overhead cam, which cut the amount of moving parts.

  6020. #602056wrench2022-12-24 20:47

    The first tandem truck i drove was a ‘71 GMC gas job with a 10yd dump box on a gravel haul. 427, 5&4, hydraulic brakes. Lots of hills on gravel roads. Just about wore my right arm off rowing that 5&4. Some split shifts with left arm through the steering wheel so i could row both sticks at once. I could never catch the other identical truck until the day he ran out of gas. He burned about 20imp gallons more on a long day load for load. I found out then he had an allison automatic. Probably an MT650. I once drove a GMC6500 gas job with a 454 and 13spd. More torque than a 427. Apparently they were only made for a couple years ‘78 or ‘79? Trans was maybe a RT or RTO 6613?

  6021. #602192U 34062022-12-24 22:46

    They put that truck in Snowrunner

  6022. #6022Hank R2022-12-25 06:58
  6023. #6023Truck Shop2022-12-25 07:25

    Basically one of DM's favorite corn queens.

  6024. #6024Truck Shop2022-12-25 07:35

    I only eat breakfast on Sunday mornings after work, when I ran into BC I remember the cafe menu. Bacon up there is listed as rashers, three rashers of beacon.

  6025. #6025DMiller2022-12-25 07:42

    Now that is different, never heard that terminology before.

  6026. #6026DMiller2022-12-25 07:47

    I will almost always fall back to a Kelowna Cab A-car or White as a preference, second up, LJ and LT bulldogs, then the old 200 series corn queens. KW has always been a great looking machine yet always a PITA to work on. What is funny is I have not ever really cared for Petes.

  6027. #6027DMiller2022-12-25 08:51

    Just noticed on Diamond, must be having a brake issue, floor access is open to Master Cyl, not quite OE Seating either!!

  6028. #602892U 34062022-12-25 09:14

    Me neither.

  6029. #6029Birken Vogt2022-12-25 09:51

    I've heard of rashers before but I don't know where it is most popular to call them that. Years ago I was working and staying within range of Jake's truck stop in Bend, Or and was told it was famous among the trucking industry, at least on the West Coast. I met a medium hauler around here who sure knew about it. Omelettes full of veggies and bacon covered with hollandaise sauce or TS's favorite, some kind of white starch type food covered in sausage gravy, sorry but I like that stuff. I just don't eat it much. Eventually they moved Hwy 97, bypassed it and it closed down. I heard they moved the restaurant across town but I have not been there in years.

  6030. #6030colson042022-12-25 10:00

    Really? Must be an old term going away. A local restaurant used to use rushers instead of slices on their menu.

  6031. #6031Truck Shop2022-12-25 14:07

    JAKE'S--Great Omelets, As for B&G-everyone can have my share. They moved to the east side of Bend just off Hyw 20 to Burns.

  6032. #6032Pixie2022-12-25 15:43

    Rashers is a British term. Merry Christmas

  6033. #6033Truck Shop2022-12-25 16:23

    Caused me to think of Heckle & Jeckle--{Shall we have three rashers, Yes we Shall}.

  6034. #6034Truck Shop2022-12-25 16:29

    What do you folks think of that tracked machine? Shovel Nose KW.

  6035. #6035DMiller2022-12-25 17:52

    Road mix preparer is what is on that trailer, Concrete. Materials for a load placed on supply pan, is tilted up to fill drum and mixed, conveyor at rear takes dump off mixer to the roadface. Cannot for the life of me remember where I learned that.

  6036. #6036stinky642022-12-25 18:26

    Nevermind Heckle & Jeckle my cartoon loving friend, who was the raven who used to walk through the middle of the boulder hands crossed behind his back. Da Do Da Do Da Do Da Do ? Just got me thinking...

  6037. #6037Truck Shop2022-12-25 19:34

    Minah.

  6038. #6038JaredV2022-12-25 20:21

    Barber Greene and I think Koehring built those tracked mixers, maybe others. I've seen them in action in old '50s road construction films on YouTube

  6039. #6039mowingman2022-12-25 21:33

    Koehring built most of them, and that is a smaller model of either a Koehring or Barber Green. They used several of the larger Koehring mixers to pave I77 in southern Ohio back in the 60's. Some of you may remember Highway Paving Company, a division of V..N. Holderman and Son. Jeff

  6040. #6040Truck Shop2022-12-25 21:55

    Thread discussion move. It turned to towing. Below is a photo of a Continental unit built by Continental Towing L.A. I operated one just like it only it was a KW. This Pete is still being used just up the road from me in Dayton. 60 ton boom line with 40 ton deck. Winches were operated mechanically by a Brown Lipe 4 spd pto with reverser. Continental built lots of these.

  6041. #6041Tugger22022-12-26 00:11

    Good move we were getting way off track from Big Timber .Hahaha

  6042. #6042Truck Shop2022-12-26 07:44

    Pete's Towing Seattle.

  6043. #6043Hank R2022-12-26 11:04

    A recovery that did not end well for the tow company. The main problem the wheel from the contractor that was building the mine in spring 2011 was a short know it all man ( if he would be 6 inches shorter he would be perfectly round) and took charge. In the 3 hrs I was watching I knew that the crane that was near truck was in wrong spot to close to truck it was there when I arrived. The 2 guys on wreckers were beyond there skill level and did not used their brains at all in the end the broke the boom on the big wrecker. Man did that ever make a super load snap when it let go.

  6044. #6044Truck Shop2022-12-26 11:20

    A rule I've had and was told by the owner of D&M Towing-Don Johnson. When your in the tow truck your representing me and my insurance. Your in charge of the situation. If they don't like it leave. It's my equipment my company I don't need every job.

  6045. #6045DMiller2022-12-26 12:52

    Heard similar from a LOT of tow firms around here!!

  6046. #6046Truck Shop2022-12-26 14:06

    It was mentioned in the other threads about pulling from the side. When Holmes converted the 850 to the 1801 the key element was the design of the winch house/mast head. No body else building squirt boom recovery units had it and most still don't. There is no need to add side pull winches to the Holmes lineup. Cables could be moved from boom and pull from the side directly off the mast head. The 850 with a added 40 deck winch is a power house, still one of the most sought after in towing circles, Holmes was bought out by Challenger and Challenger makes good stuff but not like the 1801. The towing business I use to work for had a Kenworth with a 50 ton Challenger, it was a impressive unit. But the real monster was the 1989 GMC General-8V92 13 spd with 2spd rears on Hendrickson 52K suspension. Equipped with a Holmes 1801 from day one. It had hydraulic swing out stiff legs off the mast head with a 25K winches mounted on top so it had a radius. The two standard boom winches plus a 30 ton deck winch. With hydraulic rear spades. Five winches. The white winch house in photo is of the 850 Holmes. https://zips.com/docs/default-sourc...holmes/holmes_1801_1981.pdf?sfvrsn=c0f8eb13_4

  6047. #6047Truck Shop2022-12-26 14:24

    IIRC only two of these left, Holmes 70 Ton prototypes built for military. Holmes didn't build but four IIRC.

  6048. #6048Truck Shop2022-12-26 14:27

    Holmes 850.

  6049. #6049Truck Shop2022-12-26 20:59

    Some old Holmes brochures.

  6050. #6050Birken Vogt2022-12-27 00:50

    Do you know if they made it and still operating after all these years? I would love to go back if I ever get up there again.

  6051. #6051Truck Shop2022-12-27 00:52

    Still there on hyw 20.

  6052. #6052DMiller2022-12-27 07:40

    Now those are flat out Monsters!!

  6053. #6053Tugger22022-12-27 15:33

    Interesting reading the specs and inner workings of those wreckers. Noticed the paragraph on owner or commercial frame reinforcing being not acceptable. After seeing some of Truck Shops frame work on the Mack i might be a bit offended if i were him.

  6054. #6054Truck Shop2022-12-27 16:28

    That's just a disclaimer for Homes protection, kind of like {do not drill} stickers on frames. The manufactures know the first thing that's going to happen is someone will start drilling.

  6055. #6055Truck Shop2022-12-27 17:59

    I know a guy in the business that bought a unit very similar to this. Smart bought it for 85K at auction, says I don't need a $800,000 rotator when I have this. Older than this one though.

  6056. #6056Tugger22022-12-27 18:42

    Interesting concept,its amazing what those crane thingys will lift.

  6057. #6057Labparamour2022-12-27 18:56

    http://jakesdinerbend.com/ Guess I need to plan a trip that way, too!

  6058. #6058DMiller2022-12-27 19:04

    Looks very similar to the railroad recovery cranes.

  6059. #6059Truck Shop2022-12-27 19:09

    That's what he bought, works perfect. If it takes a little more time getting there--it doesn't matter, wreck isn't going anywhere.

  6060. #6060Truck Shop2022-12-27 19:12

    From Overdrive Magazine in the 70's.

  6061. #6061Truck Shop2022-12-27 19:15
  6062. #6062Birken Vogt2022-12-27 20:49

    I totally agree on principle, but is there any issue with the typical tow job being more of a drag than a lift straight up and down? I know with my limited experience with cranes, funny things can happen when you use them to pull on strange angles like this.

  6063. #6063Truck Shop2022-12-27 20:57

    According to the owner it works perfect. Really not much difference in the two below except price, both have booms and both rotate.

  6064. #6064DMiller2022-12-28 07:43

    Rail Recovery cranes are just built ‘different’, short boom is intentional not optional, low height lifts, max weight on hook most times, less pick and swing more pick and elevate for cribbing or short repositions. Booms are severely Heavy structure. Never intended as a functional crane but a recovery hoist much as a wrecker.

  6065. #6065BSAA65LB2022-12-28 08:56
  6066. #6066Tugger22022-12-28 14:16

    I look at that Little Giant crane running the heel and tip like that id say you could pull in any direction ,just let it swing into lead . One line running to 4 or 6 parts on the boom and the other line running thru the the dragline fairlead for low directional pulls . The down side is it probably has a lower line pull on the drums compared to the wrecker,60,000 is pretty good single line pull . The crane is around 15 to 20 K per drum.Just need to rig more snatch blocks. And you have the boom hoist for short mighty pulls ,log loaders use that trick lots as they are lifting on the single line with a grapple . Dog the brake and boom up . If the out riggers were modified or added to so you had spades that would prevent side motion while pulling it would be an awsome rig . After all they used to take these things and do all kinds of modifications into log loaders and yarders. Might be hope for some of my fleet yet .

  6067. #6067Truck Shop2022-12-28 17:16

    Pretty sure he added spades. I would hate to have to buy a 2spd planetary winch, stupid spendy. I think the biggest point about it is the fact for 98% of recovery work--you don't need a three stage boom.

  6068. #6068DMiller2022-12-28 17:24

    The rotators here, Skyline Towing Foristell MO, Patriot Tow Washington MO and I-44svc Cuba MO all generally leave the mast mostly sucked in, only time have seen most of a three stage mast was lifting nose of a Refrigerated trailer to set a brace cage beneath where landing gear used to be, wrecker was up close as well.

  6069. #6069Hank R2022-12-29 07:24
  6070. #6070DMiller2022-12-29 07:28

    Have come even further these days. Pole Cats were a step above Gin Poles where the latest Altec and Terex machines do so much more.

  6071. #6071Tugger22022-12-29 14:33

    This International did a lot of work for me as a shop truck/crane .We had a 300 amp Lincoln bolted to the deck and air and a set of torches. The crane was bullet proof they built them to run an auger. Here its helping change the vertical propel shaft on the 5299.The crane was strong enough to shove on the leads when you needed to help keep a pile straight to.

  6072. #6072DMiller2022-12-30 05:15

    Newer ALTEC digger derricks with outrigger shoe expansion pads can extend far enough with weight capacity to handle 45 footer poles with a 26” butt dimension like nothing. End of mast jaws manage that weight easily as watched line crew manipulate those. Most are set up with a braided non-conductive hawser class rope that has a short life but does very well even as does stretch each lift. Weak spot is the final mast extension for the man baskets, those will be thick wall fiberglass tube that flex massively eventually cracking into structural layers. That mast is epoxy bedded into a weldment secured at and of the extension shoe in the main mast. Newer controls are different than those I worked with when wrenched these, can be a bit overwhelming as each section has separate command controls joysticks. Have seen two mid aged units used at farms with decreased auger flighting diameter for fence work as are designed to drill into rock with good downforce control.

  6073. #6073Hank R2022-12-30 07:10
  6074. #6074DMiller2022-12-30 08:14

    You fellas should ride a over center Boom thru over-center!! Brings new meaning to cutting new buttonholes!! What appears as a Large Link Chain on the two section pivot will rotate thru 90most can do 140-160 degrees rotation!! Amount of free travel thru center is how determine time to rebuild and only way to test is ride it thru at Straight Up on lower mast. Largest they make in this style is over 100' reach, call them Elevator units. And yes the Turntable goes up on its own Masts!! Has a Anemometer standard issue, wind goes over 4mph will sound a alarm so can bring it down.

  6075. #6075colson042022-12-30 09:04

    I hope it has more capacity than 4mph wind load. The JLG lift I owned had a warning of 30mph to cease operations. I've ridden several 65 and 75 lift to the top in 25 mph winds. It is not fun by any stretch swaying 2 to 4 ft side to side in gusty conditions.

  6076. #6076DMiller2022-12-30 10:27

    4mph at the basket is just a warning level

  6077. #6077Old Doug2022-12-30 11:36

    I never liked lifting anything with a crane that you didnt know what was to be the outcome and using one as a wrecker that would happen alot. Before there were alot of rotators around a guy that had several wreckers was going to build one and did using a crane boom. I was around alot of cranes at the time and i didnt like the ideal of what he wanted to build i also thought i wouldnt fill good about the smaller size crane a truck could haul. He built one i never knew how it worked he passed away some time after that.

  6078. #6078Tugger22022-12-30 12:01

    Sure like that flat deck Ford with the crane on it,good little shop truck. I like the square body style on those Fords.

  6079. #6079DMiller2022-12-30 14:47

    Had three positions Altec would mount Derricks. Center Between Cab and Bed, on Centerline just behind Drive Axle and a Rear Corner Mount generally Ditch side. Right Corner mounts were no fun to drive and make a left turn at any reasonable speed. Spring on that side most often had four Extra Leaves, ate Rt Rr Tires. Rear mounts put the mast in a front bumper cradle, PITA to service, Center Mount had cradle at rear, always in Linemen's work/walk path.

  6080. #6080Hank R2022-12-30 14:52

    That Ford with deck they used to haul poles around with, PLP only worked about 30 mile area from town.

  6081. #6081Hank R2022-12-31 07:38
  6082. #6082DMiller2022-12-31 09:30

    Had forgotten Fargo was Canadian Dodge., fairly decent condition under that Dupont Overhaul.

  6083. #6083Old Doug2022-12-31 10:22

    Every time i see one of those Fords i think about the junk brakes it may have.

  6084. #6084Hank R2022-12-31 10:30

    Much better than a rattle can paint job...

  6085. #6085skyking12022-12-31 10:30

    This was probably the last Telecommander rig I operated, here we're setting traffic signals. Pretty short stick you either nailed your spot or picked up and moved. It was annoying for a boom truck guy. This was a short coupled little bugger with a pole in the rest. Railroad crossings would rock your world! Cummins with Allison auto, the only one I ever drove. Clutch foot kept going for the floor

  6086. #6086DMiller2022-12-31 10:33

    The Lucas Girling Nightmare on Elm Street!!!

  6087. #6087Birken Vogt2022-12-31 11:41

    We never had a L/G system but the F-700 had 24 chambers in the back and the tiniest air chambers and drums in the front I have ever seen. Was hard to get parts for. They did work OK though, so long as you did not heat them up with lack of engine brake.

  6088. #6088Hank R2022-12-31 15:01

    One knows when your getting old when you remember these along a construction zone on the highway.

  6089. #6089Hank R2022-12-31 15:03

    Found in garage corner forgot I even had.

  6090. #6090DMiller2022-12-31 16:02

    Smudge pot flares, hmm I used to have the hex bar for that socket.

  6091. #6091Bumpsteer2022-12-31 20:50

    Dating myself, but, yea I remember the smudge pots being used in our small town..... Have to ask the dpw guy if we still have any, lol. Ed

  6092. #6092Truck Shop2022-12-31 21:19

    Junk shop here in town had a bunch of those smudge pots setting on a shelf. I do remember those but I remember the Orchard Smudge Pots well. Our dairy was surrounded by orchards.

  6093. #6093DMiller2022-12-31 21:45

    North east of here is a small Section of Illinois across the Golden Eagle Ferry. Some of the largest apple peach orchards around here, huge smoke pots for those frosty spring nights when flowers have not pollenated. Little burg I grew up in used smudge pots until I was 9.

  6094. #6094Truck Shop2022-12-31 21:47

    Get a load of the Hop-To Excavator, mid 60's.

  6095. #6095Birken Vogt2022-12-31 22:04

    McGuire and Hester, built a bridge near here a while back. I went to HS with a guy who is one of their engineers.

  6096. #6096Hank R2022-12-31 22:45

    I have had that since the early 60' my cousin 3 years older than me borrowed a couple in 62 or 3. I remember the city crew man would drive around and switch out pots for full ones. I wonder why there were not more grass fires around in the good old days. Me I was not bad just full of fun....

  6097. #6097JaredV2023-01-01 02:11

    What's not to like in that picture? Though I wonder how quickly the back of the Mack cab rusted out, what with nothing to stop the rocks flying off the tires.

  6098. #6098Hank R2023-01-01 07:22
  6099. #6099Truck Shop2023-01-01 07:25

    One if those setting outside of town, 4x4 C model.

  6100. #6100Hank R2023-01-01 07:34

    Not that I remember, but east of town Nendicks were and still are dragging in trucks just to have I think as hard to say what they had back then. The one I remember there blue and white used to be a tow truck and I am sure it was a 2 wheel drive.

  6101. #6101DMiller2023-01-01 08:16

    C models as all Low Cab Forward models were hard enough to get in or out of, add 4x4 were a real PITA. UE had a few hundred of the LCF Ford GM and IH over the years, a very few were 4x4. Went to Rubber tracks on Tandems in the 80s on whatever model trucks they had, installed reverse so were as tractor tires moving in reverse, used the steers for rudders in the mud. Similar to these but reversed tread pattern: Used a Stainless steel Cable with capped ends to thread thru the split hinge, had to almost flatten tires to get them on.

  6102. #6102kshansen2023-01-01 08:54

    I can faintly recall riding with my dad on at least one occasion when he was refilling and lighting some of those at a road construction site. Actually just recalled I have one sitting on shelf in garage:

  6103. #6103Tugger22023-01-01 12:38

    Id bet if that machine wasnt there there would be a cable pull shovel doing it then. I like that end dump ,it would nice to have behind my old KW when i need the odd bit of gravel .

  6104. #6104Truck Shop2023-01-01 17:14

    Had to go take care of my Sunday afternoon paperwork {scheduling repair work}. So drove out and shot a photo of this dandy, 3208 powered.

  6105. #6105Birken Vogt2023-01-01 20:57

    That is a 1960s plate, I presume it would be a predecessor Cat V8, or did they swap it on, or something else?

  6106. #6106Truck Shop2023-01-01 21:23

    Who knows, it has a greasy yellow V8 diesel in it now.

  6107. #6107Bumpsteer2023-01-01 21:51

    And its all wheel drive..... Ed

  6108. #6108Hank R2023-01-02 06:59
  6109. #6109Hank R2023-01-03 07:11
  6110. #6110Hank R2023-01-03 07:42
  6111. #6111Tugger22023-01-03 20:00

    Ill bet your power bill has gone up with those shiny new trucks in the fleet .

  6112. #6112Truck Shop2023-01-03 20:04

    I like that Jimmy MH 9500-I bet it has a green weenie in though.

  6113. #6113Hank R2023-01-04 22:54

    From Hedley BC

  6114. #6114Hank R2023-01-05 07:02

    In my eyes looks like they have a wheel problem on the Air compressor on a cold winter day...

  6115. #6115Truck Shop2023-01-05 07:25

    Wonder what it's powered with.

  6116. #6116DMiller2023-01-05 07:35

    Didn't Gardner Denver have their own for awhile, in gas engine, DD was the more common Diesel later. Would have been a real bear to shove up on that snow covered bed.

  6117. #6117kshansen2023-01-05 08:02

    All I can tell is it appears to be a four cylinder flat head gas engine. There is a logo of some kind on the block but can's make out what it is. At leas the truck has the chains on so all set for where they are going in the snow! Just noticed that it looks like it might be up in B.C.

  6118. #6118Hank R2023-01-05 10:40

    That was a Princeton truck in the early 50's , at Hedley 18 miles east of me.

  6119. #6119DMiller2023-01-05 10:46

    Got to looking at that, BUDA.

  6120. #6120Hank R2023-01-06 07:05

    A few International

  6121. #6121DMiller2023-01-06 08:06

    Metros, and GMs P vans, UGGGHH, ARRRGH!!!

  6122. #6122Truck Shop2023-01-06 15:47

    There's just something wrong with these, after thought.

  6123. #6123DMiller2023-01-06 15:56

    A 190 crossbreed to a stilt factory!!

  6124. #6124Pixie2023-01-06 16:20

    That is a funny looking truck ! Not surprised that I haven't seen a picture of one before !

  6125. #6125DMiller2023-01-06 16:38

    There were a good amount of those sold!! RDC series then came the “Sightliner” Wear no Shorts in that and no scratching nuts in traffic!!

  6126. #6126Birken Vogt2023-01-06 23:55

    Both of those look like Loadstars stacked on some sheet metal.

  6127. #6127DMiller2023-01-07 04:02

    R model cab in TS photo Loadstar cab mine Looks more like scraps and leftovers from the sheetmetal shop.

  6128. #6128Hank R2023-01-07 07:23

    School bus has come a long way for the kids comfort.

  6129. #6129kshansen2023-01-07 08:01

    The bottom one on the page shows 52-110 capacity! I assume to get the 110 they would have to be kindergarten kids! I would feel so bad for the driver with 110 of those on one bus. Forget the capacity of the busses I rode back in the 1950's and `60's, but recall there were capacities near the door that listed XXSitting, XXStanding. I don't think the standing part would be allowed these days, but do recall some of the ones I road did have kids standing at least for the first part of the trip home!

  6130. #6130Hank R2023-01-07 10:47

    Capacity here when I drove school bus was 3 to a seat on my bus was 72 but in the real world at 2 to a seat was 48 any more than 55 was dam full load as kids all have back packs etc. Then some kid is in band class and has a huge instrument he wants to take home to play oh the fun.

  6131. #6131skyking12023-01-07 10:51

    those agglomeration trucks above would make the perfect transformers, with all those shapes and breaks and joints. Just unfold it with your imagination.

  6132. #6132Hank R2023-01-07 11:31

    My first bus I had was this Dodge it was a blast geared just right, heading west out of town could pass trucks on the sand hill and rear seat was full width and 6 high school kids would jam in the back seat or a dozen grade 1 to 3 kids.

  6133. #6133DMiller2023-01-07 13:55

    Liked those old Dodge Cab style. My Beast, As Bought, Modded to Duals and Broken, replacement cab in bed. Then Done with The Beast.pdf

  6134. #6134Hank R2023-01-08 06:53
  6135. #613556wrench2023-01-08 10:31

    I always liked the style of the D series IH trucks. I like the K and KB series too. Then the IH style fell down in the 60’s to become better before they went out of production in the 70,s

  6136. #6136DMiller2023-01-08 11:16

    Not really been fond of the S Series of the 80s, even the 9600s or 9000s later, Lonestar's have to be someone's worst pipe/wet dream.

  6137. #6137Tugger22023-01-08 15:08

    I learned to drive trucks on this International in my early 20 s .I use the term learned loosely. 318 Jimmy / 15 speed. Back then it was just help yourself and fix what you broke. had a few adventures . Not sure where the truck is today ,but i still have the Insley.

  6138. #6138DMiller2023-01-08 15:10

    Paystars!!

  6139. #6139Truck Shop2023-01-08 20:10

    Now everyone on here knows just how much you like the 190's, IH never should have dropped that beauty queen.

  6140. #6140Hank R2023-01-09 06:59
  6141. #6141Hank R2023-01-10 07:15
  6142. #6142Old Doug2023-01-10 08:53

    The IH engines back in the 30s and 40s seemed to be well built but were they any good ? For as heavy as the 60s and 70s engines were they didnt seem very durable . If you saw a IH in a fence row 90% of the time it had a bad engine with low miles.

  6143. #614356wrench2023-01-10 11:35

    Around here they were durable enough, the cabs just composted away

  6144. #6144Hank R2023-01-11 07:17
  6145. #6145mitch5042023-01-11 11:42

    Thanks Hank, I particularly like stuff like the brochure detailing the different tandem drive schemes they offered.

  6146. #6146dieseldog5.92023-01-11 17:46

    I believe those cabs were made by the corprate cab company, Autocar, Diamond Reo, White and a few others used that cab. The early versions were short doors and short roof, then what some call the bubble top in the late 70's early 80's, short doors but more roof, my 81 western star I would have to duck down to look out the window, but have more than a foot over my head. Somewhere around 84 western star used a taller door that went higher into the bubbled roof helping with visability. Assuming this changed happened when White Motor Company Split off Western Star to employees in Kelowna in 1983. I believe this is also when Autocar moved to Utah.

  6147. #6147Truck Shop2023-01-11 18:18

    There are a lot of different stories about Western Star. When it comes to that cab-White owned Autocar, REO, Diamond REO, and Western Star which came to life 1967 in Kelowna and Western Star headquarters were in Cleveland Ohio at White. But some stories online or passed down don't line up. Star used the shorter cab until 86, 87 IIRC. This story I fine interesting/and more than likely correct, because Western Star struggled. https://www.trucknews.com/features/western-stars-kelowna-roots-still-evident-today/

  6148. #6148mitch5042023-01-12 00:37

    Don't forget, White owned Freightliner, too. The also built several brands of equipment, including White farm equipment.

  6149. #6149Hank R2023-01-12 07:21
  6150. #6150Hank R2023-01-12 07:25

    I messed up and can not figure out how to delete doubles of pictures.

  6151. #6151JPV2023-01-12 07:29

    They sure had a lot of models for very specific weight ranges!

  6152. #6152Truck Shop2023-01-12 07:43

    CCC badged R series Mack's.

  6153. #6153Tugger22023-01-12 10:09

    Its not a great picture but heres a KB5 i recently sold to a friend. He has it torn down completly in his shop as he s doing a complete restoration.Hopefully i can get some better pictures after.

  6154. #6154525isx2023-01-12 11:46

    a friend had a '70 diamond reo log truck that cab was tight,no rattles when i rode in it early '80s- i always liked the looks of early 70s western stars even though dad had a kenworth !

  6155. #6155Truck Shop2023-01-12 21:59

    Yup he was truck'in since he was 12. Been truck'in long?

  6156. #6156Truck Shop2023-01-12 22:00

    D Millers favorite oinker.

  6157. #6157Tugger22023-01-12 23:15

    The package deal

  6158. #6158mitch5042023-01-12 23:38

    It was my weekend job when I was 12 to back the trucks and trailers in the shop one at time and check all the fluids and check every tire with a gauge and bring it up to exactly the pressure my father specified.

  6159. #6159Hank R2023-01-13 07:16
  6160. #6160Truck Shop2023-01-13 07:29

    Try to find a KB11 or 12 today.

  6161. #6161Birken Vogt2023-01-13 10:18

    I remember a demonstration of a horse team and wagon backing up to a dock and moving sideways like that so traffic could pass, the advantage was the horses can be told to walk sideways.

  6162. #6162bccat2023-01-13 21:37

    My Dad had a KB 12 he used in his land clearing business, it was his favorite truck , got pictures somewhere

  6163. #6163Truck Shop2023-01-13 21:40

    Well get them found, We want to see it. lol

  6164. #6164Hank R2023-01-14 06:57
  6165. #6165Old Doug2023-01-14 09:34

    I have saw a few KB 11 for sale . I cant remember any KB 12 for sale. You probably have forgot more than i will ever know about trucks and if i have a truck problem i can trust what you tell me . I cant remember what i had for lunch most days and the other day what year one of my vehicals was but i can remember trucks and truck stuff to the point were stuff most think is very rare isnt for me . After saying that i may not be able to find one. I wanted to find a old truck to fix up and use before i got my 1995 GMC 7500 . A KB11 was at the top of my list i found some but got to thinking about the work and that was the end of that.

  6166. #6166Truck Shop2023-01-14 09:39

    I can't remember what I did 5 minutes ago much less yesterday.

  6167. #6167Truck Shop2023-01-14 13:53
  6168. #6168kshansen2023-01-14 15:51

    The company I worked for had a good assortment of the Mack Off-Highway trucks at various quarries in the northeast. Smallest were the Mack M15SXC these were similar looking to the M-32 above being ten-wheels with V-8 Maxi-dyne engines and Maxi-torque transmissions. The biggest we had in New York were the M-65's. Those had 16-V71 Detroit's and DP8000 Allison transmissions. This is the last one we had at the quarry where I worked. I was a M-30 with a Cummins 855 engine and an Allison CLBT5860 transmission. As You can see it's parked in the weeds due to the failure of the flex-plate that coupled the Cummins to the Allison transmission. It was being used as a spare truck doing stocking in the quarry and the decision was that the labor to pull the transmission to replace the flex-plate was not worth the labor. Some guy I believe from Ohio bought it through Iron Planet auction an was hoping to fix it and use it to clean out a pond or something on his farm.

  6169. #6169JaredV2023-01-14 19:31

    There's a lot of cool old IH truck stuff from the very early days up to the '80's here: https://content.wisconsinhistory.or...eld/title/mode/all/conn/and/order/date/ad/asc

  6170. #6170Hank R2023-01-15 06:58

    These trucks were in the back lot at the IH dealer in Penticton 20 years ago. The truck with the strong push bumper I do not know what it was built for?????????

  6171. #6171kshansen2023-01-15 10:31

    Just thought I'd add a little more on that M-30 Mack in post #6169. I mentioned the broken flex plate that drives the transmission. One reason it was decided not to replace it was the work needed to get access to it. See in Mack's wisdom they decided to install that Allison as a direct mount to the back of the Cummins, believe it was a NT380. Then to mount the transmission and engine assembly in the frame they used heavy steel bars from the flywheel housing and back to the rear mounts on the side of the Allison. This put the transmission up high right under the cab floor. When Euclid installed the same basic transmission in a R-35 the remote mounted it and ran a drive shaft from pump drive on flywheel housing bac to the transmission. That in turn had the transmission just behind the cab of the truck. Raise dump body and remove some linkage from top of transmission and bolt on lifting bracket to lift it out or back in. On the Mack there were maybe two or three options. First might be to remove the cab to get access to the lifting bracket holes. Kind of a major project especially with a nonrunning truck as the dump body and cab protector would be in the way. Second might be to use a transmission jack to lower it from below. Just checked an that transmission weighs around 2,800 pounds. How many transmission jacks can handle that much while lifting 4 or 5 feet off the floor and roll it in and out? So in the past how did we do it on two or three occasions in the past? Don't tell OSHA or MSHA but find a nice strong railroad tie and roll down the windows on the cab and slide it through after cutting hole in cab floor to access the lifting bracket holes. Install a good chain jack to hold the weight up and remove bolts to flywheel housing after removing the flex plate bolt through small hand hole that only gives access to one at a time. Then remove mount bolts from side of transmission. Now come the fun part have some one remove the drive shaft and attach another chain jack to pull it out of flywheel housing while guy in cab operated the chain jack on the railroad tie to lower the transmission. Do the opposite to reinstall and hope you don't damage the mounting gasket between the flywheel housing and transmission! I'm sure I left out a few details but you can see why they decided the job was not worth it for a truck only used half a dozen time a year!

  6172. #6172Truck Shop2023-01-15 20:35

    This extremely rare 1934 BQ Mack is being restored, found in Canada only one known to exist.

  6173. #6173Hank R2023-01-16 07:09

    This group of pictures are not mine they were sent to me and I can not remember who.

  6174. #6174Hank R2023-01-17 07:32
  6175. #6175BSAA65LB2023-01-17 08:59
  6176. #6176Tugger22023-01-17 10:33

    Is that a tie rod running under the frame ? A capacity upgrade option?

  6177. #6177DMiller2023-01-17 10:54

    Corn Queens, Too fast for the Field, Too Slow for the Road!! Old 4300s were some two ton Tessies, cannot remember full actual weight but the typical Day Cab tandem at Gelco was close to 20K add a Sleeper and were over 21K the W900 here is just under at 19340 scaled at our local quarry. EDIT: PS rode like ****!!!

  6178. #6178Truck Shop2023-01-17 19:52
  6179. #6179Old Doug2023-01-17 19:52

    That reminded me of back when the funeral homes hearse were also used as ambulances. It was scary when i was young you saw a hearse at a house and tried to figure out why it was there. My dad worked for the RR and was gone alot we lived in the country one night we woke up and the hearse/ambulance was in the drive they were at the wrong house and lost.

  6180. #6180Truck Shop2023-01-17 19:55

    A tanker for Coaldust-he needs to pull a VK-IP on this White.

  6181. #6181DMiller2023-01-17 20:27

    Now that right there would be Death in a C Cab!!!

  6182. #6182Birken Vogt2023-01-17 20:47

    It's convenient, if they did not make it to the hospital you could just close the doors back up and go to the mortuary.

  6183. #6183Bumpsteer2023-01-17 22:04

    Dad bought the funeral home in our snall town in '69, yup, he was also the local ambulance service. Life or death call, you were dead. First aid kit and oxygen were all that was on board. First you hoped someone ansered the phone. 2nd you hoped the old pos Caddy hearse started. Once in you were on your own until dad made it to the hospital. Most calls, people were already gone. Several years later we got a publically funded ambulance service 5 miles away. Dad was happier than a fly on fresh stink. Then he was only bothered for transport of those that were already gone. Ed

  6184. #6184DMiller2023-01-18 10:52

    Have to know that machine ONLY has brakes on Drive axle, nothing as to Trailer, MAYBE on drop axle. Would not have made much speed but downhill would have been distressing!!!

  6185. #6185Hank R2023-01-18 10:54

    From Horsefly Bc 3 years ago.

  6186. #6186DMiller2023-01-18 10:56

    THAT would be sweet for a Ratrod.

  6187. #618756wrench2023-01-18 11:24

    Or restomod, restoration, etc. it appears to be in beautiful shape for its age

  6188. #6188Truck Shop2023-01-18 22:01

    Should be able to pick out the guy in the middle, the one with his back to the camera looks like he's packing.

  6189. #6189Truck Shop2023-01-19 02:56

    No ratrod--not many of those left. T's of any type are hard to find.

  6190. #6190Tugger22023-01-19 13:40

    Had a guy wanted to rat rod my KB5 ,just couldnt sell it to him and see that happen.

  6191. #619156wrench2023-01-19 14:29

    I hear ya. Not really a fan of rat rods. I’ve seen a couple that were well done but most are a bunch of junk welded and slapped together that would be unsafe to drive and the craftsmanship was worse than the worst farmer-fix

  6192. #6192Truck Shop2023-01-19 17:16

    IMHO--It doesn't take much talent to build a worthless rat rod. A high percentage is just some scabbed together garbage, zero self challenge. But the worst of it is when a very uncommon vehicle is used in that manner---Once it's gone, it's really destroying a piece of transportation history that can't be brought back.

  6193. #6193DMiller2023-01-19 17:21

    Ol Jimmy looked quite healthy back then.

  6194. #6194Truck Shop2023-01-19 17:41

    His healthy days kind of ran out.

  6195. #6195DMiller2023-01-19 18:17

    When was last year of only Cab Corner markers, late 50s, early 60s?

  6196. #6196Truck Shop2023-01-19 18:41

    Mid 60's.

  6197. #6197DMiller2023-01-19 18:49

    Jimmy disappearance was not then too far away from the photo.

  6198. #6198DMiller2023-01-19 18:50

    Old Diamond would look tough restored.

  6199. #6199Truck Shop2023-01-19 19:00

    It could be updated with just a small diesel power plant which wouldn't hurt anything and leave the exterior stock, be a great parade truck. But this is unusual for me to say for the fact of how much I dislike a RSH- That truck done correctly would make a nice one.

  6200. #6200Truck Shop2023-01-19 19:43
  6201. #6201DMiller2023-01-19 19:44

    Would be a eye catcher for sure, and a good straight starting point, especially front fenders.

  6202. #6202DMiller2023-01-19 20:01

    Those are some serious off roaders

  6203. #6203BSAA65LB2023-01-20 19:06
  6204. #6204Truck Shop2023-01-22 15:40

    1-22-1923 it started.

  6205. #6205Truck Shop2023-01-23 18:17

    1956 Brockway 154 model I think.

  6206. #6206Truck Shop2023-01-23 21:47

    KW in the early days.

  6207. #6207Truck Shop2023-01-24 18:44

    111

  6208. #6208Truck Shop2023-01-24 18:48

    39 Stude.

  6209. #6209Truck Shop2023-01-24 19:30

    39 Mack ED model pickup-up to 1.5 to 2 tons.

  6210. #6210BSAA65LB2023-01-25 08:14
  6211. #6211Truck Shop2023-01-25 17:42
  6212. #6212BSAA65LB2023-01-25 18:45
  6213. #6213Truck Shop2023-01-26 19:14

    A 50's KW Dart COE with a Truck Equipment conversion-before the days of super singles. It didn't work very well.

  6214. #6214BSAA65LB2023-01-26 19:41
  6215. #621556wrench2023-01-27 12:18

    I’m not sure how a person could flop a load like that on a dry road unless he took that last corner too fast?

  6216. #6216kshansen2023-01-27 14:51

    Also not sure about the person hanging out of the cab, hope he was just in there to get his papers or such and not impaled on the shift levers!

  6217. #6217Truck Shop2023-01-27 21:50

    That's child's play for todays drivers.

  6218. #6218crane operator2023-01-28 17:37

    Pretty KW sitting just down the hill from my house.

  6219. #6219Truck Shop2023-01-28 17:48

    That's a Nice W900A-L, make a guess at 79-80.

  6220. #6220crane operator2023-01-28 17:51

    It has '82' painted just behind the steer tire- so maybe 1982?

  6221. #6221Truck Shop2023-01-28 18:44

    Last year, last of the Mohicans.

  6222. #6222mekanik2023-01-28 19:29

    It the model with the longer hood. A Cummins KT under the hood maybe?

  6223. #6223crane operator2023-01-28 19:45

    I wouldn't think it would be a KT. With what they cost to repair, I would doubt anyone is running daily with one- and this guy is obviously over the roading with the old girl, he's parked right beside a newer freightliner or something with a similar/ matching trailer. I mean- anything is possible, but I would guess 3406 or big cam.

  6224. #6224Truck Shop2023-01-28 19:50

    3406E.

  6225. #6225crane operator2023-01-28 20:21

    Well I did a little internet sleuthing, and its a Detroit 60 series. There's a magazine article about the truck. https://www.tenfourmagazine.com/2018/11/performance-zone/lavern-cross-hot-rod-kw/ The magazine article reads like a lame advertisement for pittsburgh power, but you at least know about the truck.

  6226. #6226crane operator2023-01-28 20:24
  6227. #6227Truck Shop2023-01-28 20:34

    A high percentage have been repowered to tier 2 electronic, more power better mpg. This one is C-15.

  6228. #6228JPV2023-01-28 21:15

    He had a 3408 in that log truck, rebuilt it twice in it's life and but the electric motor in when it was due for a third one. Smart move.

  6229. #6229Truck Shop2023-01-28 21:22

    Can only believe half of what bruce writes-very expanded.

  6230. #6230Truck Shop2023-01-28 21:25

    Gayle my old shop partner pulled the 3408 out of his 85 359 EXHD in 99 after the second, installed a 3406 6TS-best thing he did.

  6231. #6231BSAA65LB2023-01-29 08:43

    https://i.postimg.cc/BbgFnDz0/D35631-A4-E0-**-4-CA9-9-CD3-625820-B7615-F.jpg

  6232. #6232525isx2023-01-29 09:03

    he bought that from DSU after I traded it in on a new 379 in 1988

  6233. #6233Old Doug2023-01-29 10:11

    They had some twin engine Euclids were i worked. I was there a while back and there was still some parts laying in the scrap yard . I was there Saturday getting some truck frame i got to talk to the owner and he told me about the last one they had. They had a small truck and lowboy and a farmer close buy had a lowboy. They would pull them side buy side and drive it up on them and split it. But when they sold it the new owner hauled it off in one load with the 16 foot blade on.

  6234. #6234Truck Shop2023-01-30 17:59

    Ending scene from the 1970 movie {Five Easy Pieces} Jack Nicholson hitching a ride in a Pacific.

  6235. #6235Truck Shop2023-01-30 22:01

    A powdered coal hauler-might as well be gun powder from what I've read.

  6236. #6236Old Doug2023-01-31 08:50

    I saw a film in science class . They ground coal into a powder placed a pile of it next to a candle then had a air hose from a tire pump hooked to the hose . It was very impressive.

  6237. #6237DMiller2023-01-31 09:48

    That is how the fluidized bed boilers work. Grind coal to face powder, then use force draft fan air to blow into the boiler. Coal never sets to grates but burns in a roiling boiling ball of fire mid position of boiler box. Adjust air flows to get it pretty well centered. FD Fan Intermediate Air Fan and Flue Scavenge Air Fan

  6238. #6238Old Doug2023-01-31 09:52

    That must make a loud noise at start up?

  6239. #6239DMiller2023-01-31 10:23

    Is all loud. Start on waste and old fuel oil blend then swap into Coal. Amazing to watch a boiler roll up. Have to start on Low Fire, on oil that would be around 250-400gpm getting some heat up. Start coal into mills and feed into ducting then into boiler again on a low fire rate. As get box area and super heat sections up to around 500 degrees then start ramp up, At Labadie starting coal is around .1ton per minute ramp up gets it closer to power delivery as steam load starts to build and the water walls start gaining heat. Each boiler at Labadie burns some 3800 tons in 24 hours generating 625mw electric each. 160-180 rail cars of PRB coal blended with S. Il hard coal to keep the heat up every 24 hours.

  6240. #6240Truck Shop2023-01-31 13:27

    1938 Suburban-oldest name plate to date. Although this isn't the 10%er version. No entertainment center, no heated seats, no black ops look-just a vehicle.

  6241. #6241DMiller2023-01-31 13:59

    Can remember when called Carryall as well. Three Door not four.

  6242. #6242BSAA65LB2023-02-01 08:50
  6243. #6243DMiller2023-02-01 08:56

    Top photo appears to be coal seam loading.

  6244. #6244Truck Shop2023-02-04 21:31

    First year-1939 Peterbilt, photo taken at 10700 Mac Arthur Boulevard, Oakland California, Pete's first factory.

  6245. #6245Truck Shop2023-02-04 21:35

    This 59 West Coaster was rebuilt/restored in 1986 in Enum Claw, Wa.

  6246. #6246DMiller2023-02-05 05:10

    Needs a wash job!

  6247. #6247BSAA65LB2023-02-05 08:17
  6248. #6248DMiller2023-02-05 08:22

    First thought, ‘Time To Do Some Sketchy ****!!’

  6249. #6249Truck Shop2023-02-05 09:44

    My first thought-Todays lineman are spoiled.

  6250. #6250DMiller2023-02-05 09:49

    Lineman Hooks and rope block and tackle were a thing once

  6251. #6251Truck Shop2023-02-05 09:49

    can you imagine if that happen in 2023-The safety cops would explode. All ROBO COPS---YOU THERE STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING--then pull out their 16 round auto and shoot him off the ladder.

  6252. #6252DMiller2023-02-05 10:09

    Still have the blocks with rope, Bashlin hooks went to JY, had both standard pole blades and long tree points

  6253. #6253DMiller2023-02-05 10:11

    Cut out twice in my uses of them. Burned down a pole long ago and still have scratch scars on forearms from splinters thru shirt and jacket. Cut outs suck.

  6254. #6254petepilot2023-02-06 00:50

    my first thought------ I don`t think so

  6255. #6255BSAA65LB2023-02-06 09:52

    This photo was taken near me a long time ago….Gnadenhutten OH

  6256. #625656wrench2023-02-06 10:21

    That brings back unpleasant memories of vacuum operated w/s wipers

  6257. #6257Hank R2023-02-06 10:58

    And the starter on the floor, next to the gas pedal..

  6258. #6258DMiller2023-02-06 11:11

    My 54 Olds had Vacuum Wipers, sucked.

  6259. #6259Truck Shop2023-02-06 21:33

    1937 or 1938 Willys.

  6260. #6260DMiller2023-02-07 06:14

    Really wild times trying to prove Aerodynamics worked. 1930s were charged lightning of flares, sweptlines, smoothed features and as found later were nothing but cosmetics. Have to have considerable speed for long periods of time or distance to work. Willies had a odd eye on features.

  6261. #6261BSAA65LB2023-02-07 08:30
  6262. #6262JaredV2023-02-07 12:25

    This is something I've wondered about. During WWII there were rubber drives and they were kind of a big deal with ads on the radio, newspapers and magazines. Is rubber recycled now like it was then or has advancements in technology made it unneeded? I've never heard of anyone wanting worn out tires now. There must not be much use for them or I wouldn't have to pay a disposal fee when I buy new ones.

  6263. #6263DMiller2023-02-07 12:49

    Rubber back in the day was just that, Rubber, with Carbon Black to add strength. Today's materials may have some rubber but is mostly synthetics.

  6264. #6264DMiller2023-02-07 15:30

    Today's Tires. What's In a Tire | U.S. Tire Manufacturers Association (ustires.org)

  6265. #6265Truck Shop2023-02-07 18:11

    Really the defining factor is the quality of the casing and how it handles heat.

  6266. #6266Truck Shop2023-02-08 18:40

    Case-J.I. Case also built few trucks as well as automobiles. There is very little information/really none on how many Case trucks were built. This photo is one of only a few photos thought to exist of a Case truck. Case tractor on back.

  6267. #6267petepilot2023-02-08 19:52

    there were still quite a few of those 3000 whites running the road when i first started

  6268. #6268Truck Shop2023-02-08 21:41

    The Case truck was only produced from 1920 to 1923.

  6269. #6269BSAA65LB2023-02-10 09:14
  6270. #6270Old Doug2023-02-10 18:53

    Saw this today

  6271. #6271Truck Shop2023-02-11 06:37
  6272. #6272DMiller2023-02-11 06:48

    De Soto, almost forgotten as a Chrysler division.

  6273. #6273Old Doug2023-02-11 06:53

    Try this agin.

  6274. #6274Truck Shop2023-02-11 07:03

    Canadian. Never sold in the US.

  6275. #6275DMiller2023-02-11 07:26

    could have been my next project truck!!!!

  6276. #6276Birken Vogt2023-02-11 09:37

    I think I told this story once, some firefighters got sent to the 1993 (?) LA riots from up here as additional help for the fires, in those days we had a lot of antique junk for fire trucks and they were sent in a truck that had those badges on the hood, White in the middle of Super Power so the words were in a different order, which you can read below the yellow strap there if you enlarge the photo. Also the fire engine was painted white. They had to lay low in that thing, the locals might not have appreciated it.

  6277. #627756wrench2023-02-11 11:29

    I thought the Canadian-only division of Chrysler was Fargo. I missed a ‘37 Fargo pickup truck at a farm auction once. Not many of those made. It sold for $150

  6278. #6278crane operator2023-02-11 11:54

    1964 Pete for sale. Wants $8,000. cummins that doesn't run and no transmission.

  6279. #6279DMiller2023-02-11 12:49

    Gullwing hoods, Centerpoint RW Axle, no telling what else could be bad. Is pretty straight.

  6280. #6280DMiller2023-02-11 12:58

    Can remember DeSoto Cars here, understand the DeSoto trucks being Canuck only, just like Fargo. Not many will remember Plymouth trucks, had them with Dodges here. They went away 1950s? Packard sold trucks but were rebadged Studebakers.

  6281. #6281Birken Vogt2023-02-11 13:15

    Aha! Turn the engine in for a core and put in one of those new 3406Es in it.

  6282. #6282BSAA65LB2023-02-11 13:29
  6283. #6283Truck Shop2023-02-11 14:18

    And someone has 8K burning a hole in their pocket-just has to have it.

  6284. #6284Truck Shop2023-02-11 14:19

    No place for CAC.

  6285. #6285DMiller2023-02-11 14:33

    No place for most Any accessory. White Motors trucks, made guards for Hoods and Headlamps, NOT for men in seat, full flow air conditioner!!

  6286. #6286Truck Shop2023-02-12 18:20

    I did some engine work on a W900 that looked exactly like this one, had a A model Cat with retarder plus jakes from factory. It had relatively low miles on it but bottom liner o-rings started loosing coolant into pan. I'm guessing this one to be a 1977, probably had the graphics and paint done by the infamous Gary Ridgeway. Also it was used a test truck at Kenworth's test facility in Arlington Wa.

  6287. #6287BSAA65LB2023-02-14 09:14
  6288. #628856wrench2023-02-14 09:52

    I’m not sure that cord from the wire wheel to the box is holding much

  6289. #6289Hayesno12023-02-14 17:24

    Nice little IH V model

  6290. #6290Hayesno12023-02-14 17:26

    Canadian KW from the 60’s

  6291. #6291Truck Shop2023-02-14 19:37

    1950 or so Pete. With a name like Burgermeister it had to be some choice rot gut.

  6292. #6292Truck Shop2023-02-14 19:56

    I remember back in the late 60's when I lived in California {junior high} the ditches along the highways were littered with beer cans. Mainly two brands Olympia and a real top seller {Regal Select}. It was advertised as {6 talls for .99} that just had to be some good stuff.

  6293. #6293Truck Shop2023-02-14 21:42
  6294. #6294Truck Shop2023-02-14 21:43
  6295. #6295Hayesno12023-02-16 17:18

    Some old KW in BC Canada

  6296. #6296Truck Shop2023-02-16 18:01

    The bottom one in blue, late 50's early 60's. The top one is a early 60's W900 like this one below. First of the wide grille.

  6297. #6297JaredV2023-02-16 19:30

    On the dump truck, has that passenger step and fender had some modifications done or is that stock? Doesn't look right from here.

  6298. #6298Truck Shop2023-02-16 21:29

    The early 60's are easy to identify because of that, the hoods blended with step.

  6299. #6299Hayesno12023-02-17 08:38

    It is a Canadian build KW and it is a narrow nose model just like the blue from late 50s or early 60s. Canadian KW had these fenders/tanks as standard. 2 pics of Canadian built Kenworth

  6300. #6300Hayesno12023-02-17 16:33

    Even the LW models built in Canada had different tanks compared to US - fuel tanks in Canada were not square - they were “rounded” all 4 corners

  6301. #6301Hayesno12023-02-17 16:41

    Head Bay KW square fenders look at tanks with steps at rear bottom

  6302. #6302Truck Shop2023-02-17 17:38

    Yes the Canadian LW's used square styled tanks.

  6303. #6303Truck Shop2023-02-17 18:01

    Those were offered on U.S. models also, but did not sell. Mainly because of wheel base/steer axle weights at the time in the U.S.. Because here the driver side would be a battery/step with round tank mounted just aft of cab and a round fuel tank with step on passenger side. I can't see the grille that well on the dump but Canadian KW built a 900 wide hood also. I have a photo of one in my boxes of photos just got to find it.

  6304. #6304Truck Shop2023-02-17 22:07

    A great photo of a 1960 Seattle built 924 I rounded up.

  6305. #6305JaredV2023-02-17 22:12

    How about that? An England truck that isn't funny looking!

  6306. #6306Truck Shop2023-02-18 00:35

    CR. has been around a long time, has outlasted most everyone.

  6307. #6307Truck Shop2023-02-18 21:57
  6308. #6308Truck Shop2023-02-18 21:57
  6309. #630956wrench2023-02-19 11:00

    I would love to have a cute little Stude like that!

  6310. #6310Truck Shop2023-02-19 17:46

    A story about West Coast Freight and some insight to truck prices in 1950-15K for a KW roughly. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2...bnG98i78PVPcYqTZNdAArVTmi1Gs1FPI98SGmCVz9MWsQ

  6311. #6311Truck Shop2023-02-20 21:19
  6312. #6312Truck Shop2023-02-20 21:23

    Above is a 46 to 48 KW-Note one piece grille and no vent windows.

  6313. #6313Old Doug2023-02-20 21:27

    I may have hauled scrap on the worst black top i have ever been on today. In a 1/8 mile i would be at a crawl 20 mph then be on the brakes doing 60 trying to keep the engine rpms down then do it agin and agin. There is about 6 miles of this . If i am lucky 2 more trips will be all i have to do.

  6314. #6314JaredV2023-02-20 22:06

    The ad touts no smoke and fumes. I wonder if that was HS's selling point or the operator's? If the operator's, they probably hoped no one remembered it when they switched over to diesel a few years later. I love seeing ads from the past showing the future that never happened.

  6315. #6315Old Doug2023-02-21 08:25

    I saw a car that had a cage full of live Ducks that was mounted in the receiver hitch. I wanted to say something to the owner about exaust fumes .

  6316. #6316Truck Shop2023-02-21 19:20

    The Hall Scott was a great engine and design with overhead cam. It just took too much gas/butane per mile per the amount of hp/torque for the engines of that size.

  6317. #6317BSAA65LB2023-02-22 08:42
  6318. #6318Truck Shop2023-02-22 13:00
  6319. #6319Truck Shop2023-02-22 18:29

    You can enlarge the different segments in this link. https://www.kenworth.com/kenworth-100/archive-gallery/

  6320. #6320Truck Shop2023-02-22 18:35

    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=3393203564273171

  6321. #6321Truck Shop2023-02-22 21:17
  6322. #6322Truck Shop2023-02-22 21:18
  6323. #6323Old Doug2023-02-23 07:35

    Saw this nice Dodge when i went to the city. The older guy driving it had a tuff time with it not having PS.

  6324. #6324Truck Shop2023-02-23 08:47

    A cement rack and fire racks.

  6325. #6325BSAA65LB2023-02-23 08:54
  6326. #6326BSAA65LB2023-02-24 09:34

    Who needs a steenking cab!

  6327. #6327Truck Shop2023-02-24 18:06
  6328. #6328BSAA65LB2023-02-25 09:30
  6329. #6329BSAA65LB2023-02-25 09:31

    Renault 4X4 trucks

  6330. #6330mowingman2023-02-25 10:26

    I don't see any chains on this load. I watched a guy lose a D8K off of a lowboy in a banked curve. The reason, no chains. He said it was just a short haul up the little country road!

  6331. #6331Truck Shop2023-02-25 14:15

    From the movie Treasure of the Sierra Madre [Chains? We don't need no stinking Chains.}

  6332. #6332cw4Bray2023-02-25 18:05

    Old cars in the foreground.

  6333. #6333cw4Bray2023-02-25 18:40

    https://www.vegvesen.no/globalasset...-bridges-lessons-learned-nicholas-t-rodda.pdf Page 4. has a picture of a section of the remainder of the old I-90 on it's way to Canada to be used as a breakwater. Page 8. has a picture of the old bulge draw span. How many cars and trucks went into the drink while trying to negotiate the curve ? Page 14. shows access covers left open that caused the sinking.

  6334. #6334Truck Shop2023-02-25 20:38

    I remember the 1990 sinking. My brother had a house on the fourth tier straight above the floating bridge on the west side of Mercer Island. Before the lids were installed and tunnel created he use to come home from Overlake just before 5 get himself a drink set on the deck and listen for contact on the exiting curve below his house.

  6335. #6335Old Doug2023-02-27 08:49

    I work for a guy when i was in school he had 40 plus years in hauling his around and he never chained it down. I wouldnt dream of doing this but it worked for him.

  6336. #6336Old Doug2023-02-27 08:52

    Has any one be watching Ian Roussel ? He is fixing up a 1956 IH that some one did a bunch of work to years ago.

  6337. #6337Old Doug2023-02-27 19:53

    Saw this at a local shop.

  6338. #6338Old Doug2023-02-27 19:54

    Business end

  6339. #6339BSAA65LB2023-02-28 09:36
  6340. #6340Truck Shop2023-02-28 21:27

    A small bit of trivia. I was looking through one of my antique truck books and ran across a small but interesting fact. Probably only interesting to me. It has to do with buzzards picking the bones clean. The truck manufacture Fageol shut it's doors January 1st 1939 because of lack of funds {bankrupt}. Sterling flew in smelled the death and acquired the assets for pennies on the dollar, roughly $15,000. T.A. Peterman came along looking to buy the left overs. Sterling sold T.A. Peterman the Fageol assets for $50,000. Peterman then started to build the Peterbilt. Ironically Sterling went out of business 18 years later, shut the doors in 1958 because they got eaten up by the competition which was caused partially by Peterbilt. A classic case of big business eating one another. 1938 Fageol

  6341. #6341Truck Shop2023-02-28 21:33

    1939 Sterling

  6342. #6342Truck Shop2023-02-28 21:34

    1939 Peterbilt.

  6343. #6343Truck Shop2023-03-01 19:53
  6344. #6344Truck Shop2023-03-01 19:56

    KW Factory.

  6345. #6345Truck Shop2023-03-02 21:25

    From Kenworth photo archive.

  6346. #6346Acoals2023-03-03 07:16

    Was this Sterling connected in any way to the Sterling of the 90's that bought out Ford's truck division?

  6347. #6347Truck Shop2023-03-03 07:44

    Same-White bought the left overs of Sterling and the Sterling name/brand just like all the others White scarfed up at the time that died because they couldn't compete. Then after Volvo/White/GMC mess including Freightliner was sliced and diced Daimler ended up with the papers for Sterling. There has been over 500 truck manufactures in the U.S. through the years. Some only in business less than a year or two. White came in and bought many of them up at fire sale prices shelved the name and rights to manufacture. When White finally succumbed to the competition death squad of the big corporations all the names were sold with it.

  6348. #6348Truck Shop2023-03-03 18:27

    The famous 1955 H model Mack owned and operated by Joe Mustang. He bought it in 57 or 58 with Mack power. It later had three different Cat engines, 1673, 1674 and the last one when he completely rebuilt it a 1693. He bought the Brown 45' trailer new, the only trailer this H pulled while Joe owned the H. It probably had the first 8" exhaust--a weed burner. Believe it or not he ran the 48 and Canada with it.

  6349. #6349JaredV2023-03-03 21:57

    I can't imagine there was much leg room in that one. I'd love to see how much room the doghouse leaves the driver.

  6350. #6350Truck Shop2023-03-03 22:08

    About the same as any other built back then.

  6351. #6351Truck Shop2023-03-04 07:20
  6352. #6352BSAA65LB2023-03-04 09:20
  6353. #6353Birken Vogt2023-03-04 09:51

    Ahead of its time.

  6354. #6354stinky642023-03-04 10:09

    Talk about rolling the coal, holy crap , almost didn't spot that giant bulldog on the deck. Todays EPA cops woulda just shot that feller on the side of the road.

  6355. #6355JaredV2023-03-04 11:23

    That's an interesting dipper stick on that shovel. Is it bent because of operator abuse or was it a way to vary the pitch of the bucket when cleaning up the floor?

  6356. #6356Truck Shop2023-03-04 12:04

    That was pretty typical of a fueled up 1693 pre-chamber.

  6357. #6357Birken Vogt2023-03-04 13:00

    John Deere genset engines still do that. No air=no problem, just add more fuel until the turbo spools up. Fun when load testing indoors.

  6358. #6358Truck Shop2023-03-04 17:06

    It reminds me of a 988 D343 grunting in a pile of 3/4-.

  6359. #6359Birken Vogt2023-03-04 19:40

    Near the 3 minute mark, the shadows from the smoke make it look like clouds going by.

  6360. #6360Hank R2023-03-04 20:02
  6361. #6361d9gdon2023-03-04 20:22

    Basically the same engine.

  6362. #6362Truck Shop2023-03-04 20:34

    I Know, but thanks for posting.

  6363. #6363Truck Shop2023-03-08 20:48
  6364. #6364Truck Shop2023-03-08 20:50

    Autocar-the oldest vehicle manufacture in the U.S. since 1897. 1904 Autocar below.

  6365. #6365Truck Shop2023-03-08 21:42

    111

  6366. #6366Truck Shop2023-03-08 21:46
  6367. #6367DMiller2023-03-09 07:17

    AHHHH, Withdrawals satisfied!!!!

  6368. #6368Hank R2023-03-09 07:36
  6369. #6369Hank R2023-03-09 07:37
  6370. #6370Old Doug2023-03-09 07:48

    I wonder which truck engines were way better than others back then?

  6371. #6371Truck Shop2023-03-09 09:27

    There really wasn't that much difference from one to another, as far as durability. Continental produced many of the OEM engines years ago. With the poor quality oil and filtering engine life wasn't all that long in some cases. Biggest problem was was ring material and valve guides combined with poor lubrication. Once the guides got some wear the valve seats went, burnt valve. Knurling valve guides was common problem was it became a patch for a valve guide that should have been replaced.

  6372. #6372mekanik2023-03-09 10:12

    A lot of older engines only had bypass oil filtering. The oil pump pumped unfiltered oil into the galleries. A guy I used to work for was an automotive engine machinist. He was showing me some obsolete tools he had. One was a fixture for knurling pistons so they would be tight in the bore again.

  6373. #6373Truck Shop2023-03-09 10:19

    I used a piston knurler and ran a One Arm Bandit for turning a crank journal in the chassis. The pistons were filed to fit after knurled. The early fords 20's 30' 40' had two piece valve guides, valve stem would wear so bad and suck air past the guides had run with the choke pulled.

  6374. #6374Hank R2023-03-09 10:39
  6375. #6375Old Doug2023-03-09 18:10

    I had tha pan off my ford 330 and its pistons had been knurled.

  6376. #6376Truck Shop2023-03-09 18:11

    Below is the same InTheBlock crank grinder I used, Winona Van Norman model B--AKA a one arm bandit coined by the old mechanics.

  6377. #6377Truck Shop2023-03-09 18:14

    Really it was fairly common even in the late 60's early 70's. A lot of that was still done in those years. Engines just didn't get the miles and hours like today.

  6378. #6378Old Doug2023-03-09 18:21

    I think i had a 250 chevys pistons knurled because of piston slap back in the 90s.

  6379. #6379Hank R2023-03-10 07:50
  6380. #6380Hank R2023-03-11 07:31
  6381. #638156wrench2023-03-11 11:08

    The running board on that truck seems to have had a tough life

  6382. #6382Hank R2023-03-11 14:31

    I am sure the dust in the roof liner comes out every trip, when the push off the logs.

  6383. #6383Hank R2023-03-12 07:45
  6384. #6384BSAA65LB2023-03-12 10:12
  6385. #6385BSAA65LB2023-03-13 10:30
  6386. #6386DMiller2023-03-13 16:05

    Just KNEW had to be one pop up, and by the background Tree, is NOT very old a photo.

  6387. #6387Truck Shop2023-03-13 16:13

    That's your favorite Dave--Those were King of the Road!.

  6388. #6388Hank R2023-03-13 16:19

    Back in the 60's they were one of the most common trucks out there, seen many around Edmonton area..

  6389. #6389DMiller2023-03-13 17:29

    Remained TONS of the Fugly Monsters into the Late Seventies, used EVERY DAY.

  6390. #6390Old Doug2023-03-14 10:03

    A very long day. I had 2 of them when i was just out of school but i never thought about taking a picture of them.

  6391. #6391Birken Vogt2023-03-14 11:02

    It's like the nostalgia for the 2 cycle, everybody wants to run them now, but back when they were actually a thing, anybody driving one wished the buyer had ordered the truck with a Cat or Cummins instead.

  6392. #6392Truck Shop2023-03-14 19:23

    Fleets bought Detroit's because it cost roughly $2,000 less per unit, In those days it was all about less weight and cheapness. The reason a owner operator bought a Detroit was because he couldn't afford a Cummins or Cat, back to cheapness. In the 50's and 60's Detroit had 70 percent of engine sales for fleets. When the Big Cams and 1693's hit the market Detroit's percentage dropped to 50%. What really killed the on highway leaker was the 8V92 00. Buy the time the Silver arrived the damage was done, Detroit's share dropped to 20%. Then along came the Series 60 which paved the way for electronic and saved Detroit.

  6393. #6393JaredV2023-03-14 23:23

    They built them up into the mid or late 60s so in the late 70s, those ones weren't that old yet.

  6394. #6394BSAA65LB2023-03-15 08:02
  6395. #6395Hank R2023-03-15 10:30

    I remember that name Atomic from back in the day

  6396. #6396crane operator2023-03-15 18:21

    For sale as a "1950 wrecker".

  6397. #6397Truck Shop2023-03-15 19:40

    Hendrickson-with first year International cab, if it truly is a 1950.

  6398. #6398Truck Shop2023-03-15 19:49

    Hendrickson-the original chicken stick truck, almost every modern photo shows with chicken sticks mounted on bumper.

  6399. #6399Tugger22023-03-15 19:56

    The old wrecker looks like a well driller and a wrecker man got together for beers one weekend and created that rig.

  6400. #6400Truck Shop2023-03-15 20:02

    That was a common style for a wrecker in the midwest and east coast years ago, looks like a part time septic tank hauler.

  6401. #6401Old Doug2023-03-15 20:10

    Its funny how different things are tried then something new comes a long and the old ideal gos out of style then its replaced by a better ideal.

  6402. #6402Truck Shop2023-03-15 21:38
  6403. #6403Old Doug2023-03-16 07:43

    This guy was ahead of me at the scrap yard . It wasnt something i would have wanted but he was the kind of guy that would rather be building a dream than laying on the couch that made it very cool .

  6404. #6404cw4Bray2023-03-16 18:12

    1940 Chevy rat rod chopped top flip open windshield small sleeper two gas tanks. ​

  6405. #6405BSAA65LB2023-03-17 08:36
  6406. #6406BSAA65LB2023-03-18 20:31
  6407. #6407Truck Shop2023-03-18 20:41

    Wrong truck for the job. Probably had 3/8" frame rail, plus needed two drop axles for the wheel base and size of box.

  6408. #6408BSAA65LB2023-03-19 09:32
  6409. #6409Pops522023-03-19 13:47

    I'll throw one in too, taken by my dad in early 50s likely in Ventura Co., CA. 1st long hood??

  6410. #6410mowingman2023-03-19 16:59

    What engine was under that loooong hood?

  6411. #6411JaredV2023-03-19 17:38

    I think that's an IH KB-14. Probably had a 743ci 165 or 180 Cummins. The funny thing about those long hoods is that the little cab makes it look longer than it really is plus the front axle and bumper are a little further forward relative to the grill which enhances the effect. I parked my West Coaster next to my KW W900B at work one day and the hood is about the same length.

  6412. #6412Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:20

    This is a KBR-14 first on the scene in 1947.

  6413. #6413Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:25

    This is the same as the one Pops posted-it's a coaster with with KB cab.

  6414. #6414Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:33

    Side view I took of a 405 West Coaster.

  6415. #6415Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:36

    The truck with the longest factory hood was the 950 series Diamond T, about 75" from cowl to front of radiator.

  6416. #6416Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:39

    The A model W900L hood from cowl to front was 74".

  6417. #6417Truck Shop2023-03-19 18:45

    Then there was the one and only B Model named My Last One, with a custom built long hood that measured 71.5" with a overall length from cowl to front of radiator of 78" and a wheel base of 280". WAY TOO LONG, don't know what the guy was thinking that built that. There are some other customs even longer.

  6418. #6418Pops522023-03-19 19:41

    I could be lured out of retirement to drive the Diamond T. What a head turner!

  6419. #6419Truck Shop2023-03-19 20:28

    We will have to flip a 50 cent piece, I would like to drive that one too.

  6420. #6420BSAA65LB2023-03-20 09:31
  6421. #6421stinky642023-03-20 09:51

    Didn't know PIE hauled tanks, never saw them here in the east. There was actually a PIE barn next door to the CF barn here in Tonawanda NY up until late 80's.

  6422. #6422Pops522023-03-20 10:55

    Stinky64 Here's a pic I found of an early to mid 50s WF. I have seen this unit at a few of the ATHS Truck shows. I learned to drive on a 2 axle 54 model like this, an experience I will not forget.

  6423. #6423Truck Shop2023-03-20 11:51

    P.I.E. had a lot of tankers in the 11 western states. Pie actually started in Pocatello Id.

  6424. #6424Truck Shop2023-03-20 17:23

    This is a colorized touched up photo, a rare photo of a 1931 Relay 300A. There are only three other photos of a 300A that I know of-first time I've seen this one. There are no 300A Relays left. Powered by twin Lycoming engines. Would like to see the black & white.

  6425. #6425Truck Shop2023-03-20 17:38

    P.I.E. Tankers. P.I.E. bought 15 Peterbilt 351's all identical in 1961.

  6426. #6426DMiller2023-03-20 18:13

    Still take 40 acres to turn that red monster around!!!

  6427. #6427Tugger22023-03-20 18:21
  6428. #6428Truck Shop2023-03-20 20:06

    1938 Kenworth Shovel Nose.

  6429. #6429skyking12023-03-20 20:56

    I'd love to see those Lycoming truck engines.

  6430. #6430Truck Shop2023-03-20 21:48

    I believe this is the type of Lycoming Straight 8 used in the 1931 Relay 300A, it came with twin straight 8's. 298 cu.in 3.250 bore X 4.500 stroke. Lycoming built these in 1929, 30, 31. It's why I believe it was called Duo Drive-300, cu.in rounded to a smooth number.

  6431. #6431skyking12023-03-20 21:59

    Check this out. They put the same engine in the L-29 Cord Looks like it is the opposite hand, I wonder if they had a left and right in those trucks?

  6432. #6432Truck Shop2023-03-20 22:06

    Lycoming built most of the engines for Duesenberg, Auburn and Cord amongst many others. Lycoming built engines for 250 plus car truck manufactures world wide. The 300A, one engine drove the right side tires and the other the left side.

  6433. #6433skyking12023-03-21 10:35

    I'm wondering if they spun them left and right, like they did later with some aircraft engines. It would require different cams and gears, and I would think you'd want the carbs out for service.

  6434. #6434DMiller2023-03-21 11:14

    The Lycoming Pattern V12 American LaFrance engine was one of those.

  6435. #6435Truck Shop2023-03-21 11:51

    I get it, no they didn't

  6436. #6436Truck Shop2023-03-21 11:56

    Also Lycoming built 58 varieties of engines for on road.

  6437. #6437Truck Shop2023-03-21 21:14

    This 1960 West Coaster was for sale on FB Vintage Truck Market Place. Sold in less than 12 hours. 220 5X3.

  6438. #6438DMiller2023-03-22 06:28

    People that have money are just nuts currently.

  6439. #6439Old Doug2023-03-22 07:11

    It doesnt seem to matter if they want something what it cost alot of them didnt have to kill their selves to make it.

  6440. #6440Truck Shop2023-03-22 07:34

    Odd thing is that one sold for $4,500, usual price is 14 to 15.

  6441. #6441DMiller2023-03-22 07:41

    So, money is fading. Here a old Stude cab and short frame section sold for close to that($3800), the guy did not have title but the new owner is certain can attain one.

  6442. #6442DMiller2023-03-22 07:43

    Pretty amazed that truck had P/S by body tag.

  6443. #6443Birken Vogt2023-03-22 08:41

    I see that too, seems the stupid money is disappearing.

  6444. #6444Truck Shop2023-03-22 10:28

    It was probably custom ordered with that, the Hydra Power Series wasn't all that great, but better than manual.

  6445. #6445Pops522023-03-22 11:14

    The Westcoasters have a special place in my heart. In 1970 after I got my CDL, I was assigned a 59 model for several weeks hauling fill sand from the Santa Maria river to the Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power plant near Avila Beach, CA. Long WB, Hendrickson pad susp, 262 with RT910. And a pencil in the ashtray to bite on if one were to ever get in the left lane on a concrete highway.........

  6446. #6446Truck Shop2023-03-22 11:49

    Every car, pickup, well I'll just say every vehicle should have pad suspension and a complimentary pencil in the ashtray.

  6447. #6447Old Doug2023-03-22 19:50

    What was that suspension called were it had a big rubber donut between the axles ?

  6448. #6448Truck Shop2023-03-22 20:04

    I think what your talking about was the suspension White had called Velvet Ride-it was anything but Velvet.

  6449. #6449DMiller2023-03-22 20:05

    White Velvet Ride Drove one With that mess

  6450. #6450Truck Shop2023-03-22 20:10
  6451. #6451Old Doug2023-03-22 21:49

    This was on a Acar . The rubber was out in the open. I drove it across a field there was no way to keep a steady foot on the go peddle in low gear.

  6452. #6452DMiller2023-03-23 05:45

    Gawd awful suspension, better or as well off welded solid

  6453. #6453Truck Shop2023-03-23 07:21

    White owned Autocar, Diamond T at that time, Velvet was offered on anything White owned at that time.

  6454. #6454Old Doug2023-03-23 07:35

    It may have been some kind of velvet ride but it seems like it looked alot different.

  6455. #645556wrench2023-03-23 10:03

    By ‘pad’ suspension do you mean the Hendickson rubber block walking beam?

  6456. #6456BSAA65LB2023-03-23 10:06
  6457. #6457Pops522023-03-23 10:46

    Yes

  6458. #645856wrench2023-03-23 10:53

    Ya, i hated those too. Only able to stand the ride if they were overloaded. When empty had to drive with your jaw clamped shut to avoid shaking your dental work loose

  6459. #6459Truck Shop2023-03-23 18:39

    https://www.paccar.com/media/1916/963_familybrochure.pdf

  6460. #6460Pops522023-03-23 18:51

    Here's a dashboard you could read day or night....And knew what it all meant.

  6461. #6461Pops522023-03-23 19:13

    TS have you calculated the top speed yet of this 52 Pete?

  6462. #6462Truck Shop2023-03-23 19:17

    Here's a example of what happens to the W990 dash board screen when there's a glitch.

  6463. #6463Pops522023-03-23 19:22

    My favorite dash.

  6464. #6464Truck Shop2023-03-23 19:22

    Don't know if it's in over drive or rear ratio's--I'll just say it is in top hole-84. WAG.

  6465. #6465Truck Shop2023-03-23 19:28

    My 66 351 Aluminum tilt.

  6466. #6466Pops522023-03-23 19:30

    Truck belonged to a guy in Sacramento. I drove it to the ATHS show in Huntsville in 09. Can’t remember if I was in 9th or 10th.

  6467. #6467Pops522023-03-23 19:31

    NICE truck. Still have it?

  6468. #6468Pops522023-03-23 19:34

    I like the single stack

  6469. #6469Truck Shop2023-03-23 19:40

    Long gone 24 years ago. BCIII 400, 14613 SQ100's on Air Leaf P steering.

  6470. #6470Truck Shop2023-03-23 19:59

    The fact your an old lowboy wheel man Pop's you can understand how hard it was to find someone with a 17" deck height to keep this at 13'6". Took two weeks to find someone that would be in the area from the east coast to move it to Manchester. Guy who bought it absolutely refused to have the stacks removed for shipment. It was his dollar not mine.

  6471. #6471crane operator2023-03-23 21:11

    Kw for sale near me. Asking price is 79,900, so I'm out as a buyer.

  6472. #6472Truck Shop2023-03-23 21:38

    6 months ago it would have been $89,900. Oops there's touch up paint by that stack, price just dropped to $59,900-it might be within your reach C.O..

  6473. #6473petepilot2023-03-23 22:18

    have seen that old horse on the road many times

  6474. #6474Acoals2023-03-24 10:17

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That right there . . .

  6475. #6475Truck Shop2023-03-24 19:22

    Got to remember that is a real Mack before Volvo got ahold of them.

  6476. #6476BSAA65LB2023-03-24 21:30
  6477. #6477petepilot2023-03-24 23:04

    IF I had it just layin around i`d go get that one

  6478. #6478Acoals2023-03-24 23:40

    R models and DM's, what I learned to drive on. I call those Real Macks, but back when I was learning the Old Guys said that the Real Macks were the B models, so who knows . . . lol

  6479. #6479crane operator2023-03-25 09:10

    Quit stalling, the price probably goes up everyday. A few more years of inflation and that will be the price of a yohoo and a candy bar. Banks gots plenty of $$$$. Uncle Sam's got your back and the bank's. Its a no lose proposition. Spending money you don't have- its the American Way. Or- just get those patents done on the loadamower and watch that money roll in...... The only thing standing between you and that KW is you. Think positive. Go dig those mason jars out of the back garden. Toss the old lady off the mattress and get at that secret cash stash. Turn in those bitcoins you've been hoarding. Really petepilot- its people like you that are holding back the american financial system.

  6480. #6480kshansen2023-03-25 09:30

    Nope This is what a "REAL" Mack looks like:

  6481. #6481DMiller2023-03-25 10:41

    Can relate of Rs and DMs as REAL Macks, will always have soft spot INSIDE my head for Bs LJs and LTs

  6482. #6482Truck Shop2023-03-25 11:33

    Nothing quite like buying a banker another three piece fart bag to wear.

  6483. #6483Tugger22023-03-25 12:46

    And a new pair of gloves to wear so he can grip the rug as he pulls it out from under your feet.

  6484. #6484Pops522023-03-25 13:43

    What model is this? Pic was taken in 1956

  6485. #6485Truck Shop2023-03-25 14:22

    Late 40's LT because of the louvers on hood side panels.

  6486. #6486crane operator2023-03-25 16:40

    So is this a special hood KW? It was sold as a 2001 t-800. Has a N-14 and door tag matches year (mfg date of 10/00). But I've never seen a t-800 set back axle with a hood like this one.

  6487. #6487crane operator2023-03-25 16:41
  6488. #6488Acoals2023-03-25 17:39

    I am pretty sure that is a special high capacity cooling option. There were T800's with that hood. There was also a hood that had the same slope as a standard T800 but was wider, with single headlights.

  6489. #6489crane operator2023-03-25 17:47

    I've seen the wide hood ones, there's a dirt guy around here with one.

  6490. #6490Acoals2023-03-25 17:49
  6491. #6491Truck Shop2023-03-25 18:24

    That is a T800B Straight Cowl Split Fender, most are special order. Extra capacity cooling system. That one has 463P drives-heavy mothers. The RTLO18913A/P is a twin pump not very common/rare. One is inside with a halo the other run off Aux counter shaft externally-I have never seen one only a schematic some years ago.

  6492. #6492Truck Shop2023-03-25 18:26
  6493. #6493DMiller2023-03-25 21:08

    SWEEET!!!

  6494. #6494petepilot2023-03-26 00:27

    you betcha

  6495. #6495Truck Shop2023-03-26 00:51

    A fact-the Pete in petepilot's avatar is 10 times the truck that W900 A Kenworth ever was or will be. And I like KW's.

  6496. #6496Truck Shop2023-03-26 01:16

    A little info for those that own a few trucks but really isn't in the trucking business, just farting around in it hauling their own stuff. Average cost per mile for a rig running the 48--$1.70 average fuel costs per year $70 to $85,000. And for the minds that don't know crap about the business. When a natural disaster happens and material goods need to be moved to that area. Driver hours of duty are waved. A driver is payed by the mile, OTR runs the 70 hour rule, not 60 hour rule. There are 11 hours in the seat plus an extra 2 possible for personal conveyance plus 1 hour of straight on duty for a total of 14 hours in 24 with 10 off duty. Disaster hours of driving are allowed up to 18 hrs behind the wheel on a paper log. E logs are not designed for logging disaster driving hours. Drivers running in a disaster are not payed overtime. OTR doesn't operate on a 40 hr week. That's why the trucking business isn't for everyone, but everyone thinks they know the trucking business.

  6497. #6497Acoals2023-03-26 08:31

    Hey, I am that guy farting around hauling my own stuff . . . as far as I am concerned, the trucking business isn't for anyone. At least not anyone who wants to make any money. I don't know anything about OTR, except that I lose my mind staring out a windshield for more than a few hours at a time, I don't like living in a doghouse, and I have a wife and kids. But dump trucking, how about that? I am supposed to go out and spend $300,000 on a truck, and then run the wheels off it for $115/hour. 20% down on 300k: $60,000 $240, [email protected] % for 60 months: $4,700/month So that's $56,000/year If I can keep the truck running 10hrs/day 5 days a week for 25 weeks (Up north, short year): $143,000 gross income A driver: $37,000 Fuel, a little harder to figure, but I am going to say $30,000 Maintenance? A new truck, maybe $10,000 a year? Registration, insurance and taxes? Shooting from the hip but probably heading toward $10,000 So I am at $143,000. Wait, that was the income. So I am sure we can work with the numbers a bit, you probably don't have to spend quite that much on a truck, I can try to run the truck harder, and obviously I should run the truck longer than 5 years. I still don't see it.

  6498. #6498crane operator2023-03-26 09:25

    One of my guys does more of the trucking now than what I do (and what we do, you really can't call trucking- we deliver equipment once or twice a week). He doesn't like our pete 379 (1992-3406b daycab), and likes our western star 4694 (kelowna built 1998 12.7 daycab). He's all for selling the pete. But if I went to sell a truck, the pete will bring twice what the western star will. Or if not twice, at least a hefty premium. I prefer the western star or the pete over our KW, the KW I hit my shins on the bottom of the dash. And I will take any of those trucks over my international. I hate that thing. I don't think that you can compare dump trucking to OTR. They are two totally different business models. I don't think I would put a $18/ hr driver in a new $300,000 dump truck. And no- the rates don't support a new truck. But my rates won't support new cranes either- so I run 15-20 year old ones. Just like most dump truck only operations don't run new trucks. The only outfits I see running new dumps are large dirt companies/ or quarries, whose main $$$ comes from something else, and the trucks are just a necessary evil. That's what my trucks are, a necessary evil- I don't make any money on them, but I've got to have a couple to do my main business.

  6499. #6499Acoals2023-03-26 09:48

    From what I have seen OTR looks worse than dump trucking, but again, I am not in it. Agree with Crane Op, I make my money with my excavator, the truck is mostly for dragging it around.

  6500. #6500DMiller2023-03-26 09:56

    Drove that 1997 Pete for a short time, and have the KW for now, drove intermittently the Petes and IH at the Local yard never cared for any of those. KW is a treat for those never been in a Semi, tight cab, not much leg or shoulder room but can appreciate the visibility from it. SHOULD I ever upgrade would be to one of the newer open backs with a Aerodyne bunk, Cab is for operation day to day on the road so size does not matter, bunk is for parked time where the newer cabs allow more seat rear adjust distance and access to the bunk.

  6501. #6501Truck Shop2023-03-26 11:22

    I've said it before many times dump trucks are nothing more than a necessary evil. Right along with grain trucks there's no money in it. When it comes to OTR if there is 10 trucks 1 to 2 will be in the shop with the rest covering expenses. OTR paper work per year to run 48 averages $6,000. The top expense is wages with benefits, second fuel, third maintenance, fourth tires. You have to be cracking $2.35 a mile to make it. Average total cost to operate for a year is $180,000 for a OO.

  6502. #6502Old Doug2023-03-26 11:34

    I pass this truck about every day stopped today.

  6503. #6503Old Doug2023-03-26 11:35

    It looked to be in ok shape .

  6504. #6504Old Doug2023-03-26 11:42

    I spotted this Jewel one the same lot.

  6505. #6505Pops522023-03-26 12:12

    Did the owner accept your offer?

  6506. #6506Old Doug2023-03-26 13:06

    I am not sure who owns it . Its setting were they had consignment auctions at one time.

  6507. #6507Truck Shop2023-03-26 14:03

    Need to get some fuel/batteries put tarp strap on to hold throttle WFO so when it starts it explodes. One less. Didn't I say I hate Detroits.

  6508. #6508Truck Shop2023-03-26 14:11

    Still has the factory chicken cheater sticks with signals, you know those just make Pennsylvania Mack owners jealous. A huge fight broke out last year at Macungie over a set of those.

  6509. #6509Old Doug2023-03-26 14:50

    That is a highly sought after unit write there . Lots of noise,smoke and plenty of gears.

  6510. #6510Truck Shop2023-03-26 15:06

    Most all of the trucking business was profitable at one time. Carter championed it Reagan implemented it--Deregulation. Before that happened in 1980, a small owner operator could make a decent go at it. The regulated freight kept the {everybody and their brother outfits out of it}. A guy could even make a go of it with a dump truck many did. You had to have a permit for any and every type of commodity/freight. You had to apply for it under ICC and other trucking companies could contest it. It kept the loads at steady level and rates at a respectable level. There were permits for household goods, fresh farm goods and dairy. When I bought my first truck that 66 351 Pete the original owner showed me paper work dating back to 1966, fuel receipts for 125 gallons at 0.20 a gallon. Insurance was a mere trifle compared to today. And yes trucks were running all 48 in those days. You could afford to have a set down meal at a diner everyday. That's what deregulation does, without the regulations no body makes what they should. Deregulation put companies like P.I.E. and many like it out of business very slowly, those freight companies bled out over time. When the regs were dropped the business of slashing rates became the norm, which led to a family of immigrants all living in one truck-all driving that truck for a lot lower rate than the average OO. Nothing against immigrants mind you. It's just a sample of what took place. With todays on time delivery system and little warehousing, trucks bump the dock and more often than not can sit up to 24 hrs waiting to unload even though they have appointed load and unload times. Used as warehouse till there is room inside, that can even happen to a produce hauler. Hurry up then set and wait. Some drivers get a subsistence pay most don't. A little history about the trucking business, a lot more I haven't said. Below is a photo from the regulated days when a Owner Operator could make a decent living without loosing his ass.

  6511. #6511Truck Shop2023-03-26 18:20

    1973 Diamond REO Royal, Always liked these had a distinct look. And a pen & ink I did years ago now.

  6512. #6512DMiller2023-03-26 18:58

    Old Thick Hood Diamonds

  6513. #6513Truck Shop2023-03-27 21:04

    Oldest known complete Peterbilt ever built restored, on display The oldest known complete and operable Peterbilt, a 1939 Model 260 — just one of 15 built by the truck maker that year — is currently on display at Peterbilt’s facility in Denton, Texas. www.overdriveonline.com

  6514. #6514Truck Shop2023-03-27 21:41

    And these photos I took of a Very early Kenworth was thought to be a 1927. I was told it sold and has been redated to 1923--the first year of Kenworth trucks.

  6515. #6515BSAA65LB2023-03-28 09:37
  6516. #6516JaredV2023-03-28 09:58

    Cool trucks, but what jumped out at me is that hoe appears to be able to control the bucket pitch, or curl on a modern machine. That would make dumping into small trucks like that much easier.

  6517. #6517Truck Shop2023-03-28 11:23

    Gas pot shovel nose KW.

  6518. #6518Truck Shop2023-03-28 19:26

    Don't know the model of truck but I found this photo of a early day freighter from this area.

  6519. #6519Truck Shop2023-03-28 19:34

    Walla Walla Fire Department standing in front of a 1914 Seagrave.

  6520. #6520Truck Shop2023-03-28 19:36

    And their hook & ladder.

  6521. #6521Truck Shop2023-03-29 15:55

    The ladder truck above would be really rare today--1918 Kelly Springfield.

  6522. #6522Truck Shop2023-03-29 15:56
  6523. #6523stinky642023-03-29 18:42

    *** you lookin' at ?

  6524. #6524Truck Shop2023-03-29 18:55

    He's gunna stick that pitch fork in.

  6525. #6525Old Doug2023-03-30 07:40

    That farmer most of been doing ok to own a truck like that.

  6526. #6526crane operator2023-03-30 08:03

    Maybe he hated horses.

  6527. #6527mekanik2023-03-30 08:21

    Not sure the make of truck. A great uncle of mine sadly the history has been lost.

  6528. #6528Pops522023-03-30 11:10

    Here's one of my uncles at a very young age. My dad & his 3 brothers all started out hauling hay in Oxnard, CA

  6529. #6529Truck Shop2023-03-30 17:06

    Hay Shakers, the town I use to live in {Ellensburg} was/is the King of Timothy Hay. The quality of the Timothy grown there is top choice. Years back I knew of several shakers that had a steady haul to California, all truck trailer rigs. 90% were Pete 352 or 362's. One had a steady haul to Santa Anita race track. Horses require grass hay, owners of race horses only feed top quality Timothy. Timothy grown in the Kittitas Valley has the highest protein of any. Before a cutting it will stand chest high, windrows when fluffed 4' plus feet high. Standard equipment is a John Deere swather and self propelled Freeman {Three wire baler} no twine. Average bale 125 lbs. 500 bales average on a truck/trailer. A lot is always shipped to Kentucky at very premium prices. Either by railcar or loaded in moving vans looking for a load going east. Batesville casket company hauls a bunch to Kentucky. Below is a standard hay hauler for feed lots and dairy's, load of straw in this photo. I use to work on this one.

  6530. #6530Truck Shop2023-03-30 17:17

    And this was it's sister, powered by a very hot running 3408. Someone bought it removed the bed in this photo. And below that is the same Pete 362H 3408 powered repainted by a truck restoration guy in Norway, where it now lives. I had a online chat with him about the Original Purple People Eater. I told him she was a real runner, he replied {Oh Yes There, I've never driven a truck with that much power and I've driven 700hp Scania's. That Cat is unbelievable}.

  6531. #6531Pops522023-03-30 17:33
  6532. #6532Truck Shop2023-03-30 17:40

    And a funny story about the People Eater. I had stopped in my morning haunt a tavern a friend owned for coffee on my way to work one Monday morning. The owner {a friend} had a question. {You know of a purple & white truck that hauls hay? Yes. *** does that thing have in it? John and I both took our pickups with campers and boats down on Friday morning to bass fish below the dam. Coming back up from Vantage the wind was blowing like hell, I had it down over 3/4 on the go pedal. I looked in my mirror and could see this loaded hay truck gaining on us. Next thing I know his blinker came on. The Son of a B!tch passed us. We were probably 40 to 45 mph he had to be a little over 50. John Fisher setting at the bar said BS--Ron said you can ask my wife Julie better yet ask John. I sat there grinning {Yeah that was Dicky behind the Wheel}

  6533. #6533Truck Shop2023-03-30 18:35

    Another Pete {359} restored by the same person in Norway.

  6534. #6534mekanik2023-03-30 20:23

    They don't use windshield wipers in Norway?

  6535. #6535Truck Shop2023-03-30 20:43

    I don't believe he was even close to finishing at this point.

  6536. #6536Truck Shop2023-04-01 15:53

    Fraser BC area. 1944.

  6537. #6537skyking12023-04-01 17:13

    love the water bottle hanging on the bumper, @Pops52 cool stuff and stories Mike. I used to mess with timothy hay until my allergies said no more, when I was about 16. I barned a few loads as a lad before that. Last time I got next to an old school broke down baler, my eyes looked like hot coals from the fire. No hay or hay burners for me

  6538. #6538Pixie2023-04-01 17:33

    That's some kind of fancy hairdo on that old truck !!

  6539. #6539Hallback2023-04-01 17:51

    Rogers,as in Bob?

  6540. #6540Truck Shop2023-04-01 18:01

    Yep, Bob Rogers why you ask.

  6541. #6541Hallback2023-04-01 19:49

    I know him & my neighbor is his son in law. Married to his daughter. Bob's finally ready to retire and hang it up. I need to contact him about his grinding and chipping operation he has also.

  6542. #6542Truck Shop2023-04-01 20:21

    I only met him once in Olympia for gaining paper on permits and plate. Long time ago.

  6543. #6543petepilot2023-04-01 22:40

    thats a picture worth having

  6544. #6544petepilot2023-04-01 22:51

    LOL I like that loadamower idea took me a while to connect the dots

  6545. #6545Hallback2023-04-02 00:11

    Pretty sure I dated her before!

  6546. #6546stinky642023-04-02 14:15

    Ch ch ch Chia. Just spread the seeds, water and voila.

  6547. #6547Pops522023-04-02 14:26

    More "hay" related stuff

  6548. #654856wrench2023-04-02 20:39

    Disconcertingly close to that power line. Maybe its farther away than it looks

  6549. #6549BSAA65LB2023-04-09 09:38
  6550. #6550Truck Shop2023-04-09 18:42

    Below are three examples of West Coast Internationals The tanker is a rare HFW three man cab. 1946 or so. The lowboy is a K cab used before 1949. The logger is a L cab 1949 up.

  6551. #6551Pops522023-04-09 22:44

    That is one classy lookin loggin truck!

  6552. #6552Hank R2023-04-11 19:14

    Look at what I found, I know what it is used for just do not remember the name of tool... Getting old I guess..

  6553. #6553kshansen2023-04-11 19:30

    Dang! just recalled there was one on a shelf in the back of the shop. Wish I had thought to toss it in the sidecar before I retired. It would have had someone scratching there head when the estate sale was held when I was gone! As to a specific name I have no idea either!

  6554. #6554renovator2023-04-11 19:40

    Torque multiplier?

  6555. #6555Truck Shop2023-04-11 19:54

    Two to one-those were real common years ago-most every truck had one. But that was way back when drivers were willing to do what ever was required to keep moving. Driver today would spend more time thinking of a way to BBQ it to have a snack.

  6556. #6556Hank R2023-04-11 20:37

    A torque multi-plier wheel trend, ideal for stripping the threads off nuts and studs

  6557. #6557Pops522023-04-11 20:55

    These always worked well for me……

  6558. #6558Truck Shop2023-04-11 21:05

    L cab West Coaster.

  6559. #655956wrench2023-04-12 10:39

    Remembering those Budd wheels, i always hated it when the inner nut came off with the outer one and then having to separate the two nuts when the rim was on the floor

  6560. #6560stinky642023-04-12 19:04

    There was a tool for that, three holes on one side one opposite, sat in the rim to spin em' out. Still sucked.

  6561. #6561DMiller2023-04-14 14:10

    Also one that went over the Hex nut, extended finger dropped into next lug home, drove inner nut out of outer.

  6562. #6562Pops522023-04-15 15:34

    Here's a load of barreled asphalt from Santa Maria CA to Port Hueneme, CA probably 1958?

  6563. #65631693TA2023-04-15 15:43

    Still have my spring loaded "Pork Chop" for separating Budd outer nuts from inner stud nuts. Had to use it a few times on old junk I've dragged in here.

  6564. #6564Truck Shop2023-04-15 17:05

    DC 100.

  6565. #6565Truck Shop2023-04-15 17:58

    1954-Emeryville Ca.

  6566. #6566Truck Shop2023-04-15 18:26

    DC-102

  6567. #6567Truck Shop2023-04-16 10:44

    Just something about that Autocar above, looks like it would be fun to bomb around in. lol Not a rocket just putt down the road smoking out the pipe.

  6568. #6568DMiller2023-04-16 11:17

    When did Sanders go out of fashion?? I cannot remember last year of truck I saw them on.

  6569. #6569Pops522023-04-16 11:52

    And blocking out the sun with a layer of thick, wet, black smoke............

  6570. #6570stinky642023-04-16 17:45

    Was that their original flagship terminal? That's a lot of power sitting around for what I'm thinking is a publicity photo.

  6571. #6571BSAA65LB2023-04-18 21:09
  6572. #6572Hank R2023-04-19 11:18

    I guess I have to do a clean up in garage found this old tire wrench while looking for other things....

  6573. #6573Old Doug2023-04-19 18:52

    I remember seeing something like that for a windmill.

  6574. #6574BSAA65LB2023-04-19 19:55
  6575. #6575Pops522023-04-19 20:14

    And it works on right AND left handed nuts!

  6576. #6576Hank R2023-04-19 22:31

    I never had to use on tires but seen much older than me drivers use them.

  6577. #6577Hank R2023-04-20 07:25

    Hard to find a operator for tire irons now a days.

  6578. #6578Truck Shop2023-04-20 18:15

    A real nice 1936 Diamond T, was owned by Martin Tractor Topeka KS. NMP.

  6579. #6579crane operator2023-04-22 21:02

    Its been weeks since I've seen some nice chicken sticks. So I went in the back yard and gazed at my only set.

  6580. #6580Truck Shop2023-04-22 21:19

    I just knew you had some!

  6581. #6581crane operator2023-04-23 08:16

    Don't tell anyone. Everyone that has never seen me drive- thinks I might be a good driver. Its a good thing the cranes don't get over 50 except for the occasional steep hill. It masks my inadequacies.

  6582. #6582BSAA65LB2023-04-23 10:01
  6583. #658356wrench2023-04-23 12:31

    That guy looks like he may be thinking of a beer at the end of a long day

  6584. #6584Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:17

    1987 FLC Wheat farmer friend bought for 2,500. He put 10,000 into it. The one he wants to lengthen the wheel base on. Truck is in good condition, BCIII 400 with a 15 spd over. 402 Eatons 3.36 ratio A/C everything works. Old W truck.

  6585. #6585Truck Shop2023-04-23 17:19

    And one of his dads 10 wheeler grain trucks.

  6586. #6586Truck Shop2023-04-23 18:05

    And last but not forgotten a very tired KB7.

  6587. #6587Truck Shop2023-04-23 19:34

    Studebaker is back in business building trucks, they just can't seem to drop the classic look yet.

  6588. #6588Truck Shop2023-04-24 18:53

    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=174559278855385

  6589. #6589Pops522023-04-24 19:32

    I hope our governor doesn’t see this. He will use it to show how diesel trucks kill people!! Can I say this here?

  6590. #6590Truck Shop2023-04-24 22:20

    In todays world a 290 lb driver couldn't fit behind the wheel or hoist into the sleeper. Would have cut back on the roller dogs. Although the air horns would be good for waking the team driver. Propane and corn cob signal.

  6591. #6591BSAA65LB2023-04-26 09:37
  6592. #6592Truck Shop2023-04-26 16:10

    Unusual photo.

  6593. #6593Truck Shop2023-04-26 16:12

    Two items in this photo, 54 Vette and .25 gas.

  6594. #6594Truck Shop2023-04-26 16:12

    And the rare Cook Bros.

  6595. #6595skyking12023-04-26 16:23

    That's the oldest transfer trailer set up I've seen. Very cool.

  6596. #6596Birken Vogt2023-04-26 17:07

    Also, behind the brick building is the frame of an old gasholder, must not have had very much gas in it that day.

  6597. #6597mowingman2023-04-26 17:40

    There were quite a few transfer trailer rigs in Texas back in the 80's. I believe our company had about 12 of them in their delivery fleet in the Dallas area. As I recall, all the ones in our area of Texas had some type of electric powered transfer box. I never did work with any though. The one in the photo seems way ahead of it's time.

  6598. #6598Truck Shop2023-04-26 18:08

    Cook equipment trucks/trailers were built in California. California is where transfer dumps originated. I saw them all over in 1968. It used a F-Series Ford cab and that one is circa 1951.

  6599. #6599Truck Shop2023-04-26 18:42

    1938 Federal only built this body/grille style two years 1937 and 1938, and only the 1938 model Deluxe Cab had the sleeper. This one was used to verify mileages I expect because of the mileage counter wheel.

  6600. #6600Truck Shop2023-04-26 19:13

    Pierce Arrow was one of the first to build a true motorhome. The truck chassis were called Fleet Arrow. This is a 1928 Fleet Arrow House Car as it was called.

  6601. #6601Truck Shop2023-04-26 19:20

    Ward LaFrance didn't just build fire trucks. For a short time after WWII they built commercial tandem axle tractors also. This one is a 1946.

  6602. #6602Birken Vogt2023-04-26 19:46

    California traffic laws still refer to it as a "house car".

  6603. #6603stinky642023-04-27 10:22

    Those Fleet Arrows were made here in Buffalo, according to the google tube only three were made before the crash of '29. The actual factory is still standing, but has been divided into business and office space. There is a Pierce Arrow museum downtown Buffalo where I think that fancy camper is parked.

  6604. #6604Truck Shop2023-04-28 15:18

    KB-14.

  6605. #6605Truck Shop2023-04-28 19:00

    A little off subject but Harold collected old trucks too. Harold LeMay - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org

  6606. #6606Truck Shop2023-04-28 21:23

    A Jarrett not a lot were built and rare in their day.

  6607. #6607BSAA65LB2023-04-30 08:43
  6608. #6608BSAA65LB2023-05-01 09:42
  6609. #6609Truck Shop2023-05-01 20:03

    Photo collection of USC. Tandem is a White.

  6610. #6610Truck Shop2023-05-01 22:30

    A rare one-photo of 1939 Peterbilt first year, UW collection.

  6611. #6611BSAA65LB2023-05-02 19:07

    Hauling logs to the paper mill in Millinocket, ME

  6612. #6612Truck Shop2023-05-02 22:01

    People today complain if their heated seat isn't getting warm enough. 1919 Transcontinental Motor Convoy. Solid tires, zero spring travel stiff as a piece of dried leather, radiator on the Mack AC's mounted at the firewall-hot as hell, a seat with nothing more than a layer of feathers in a bag, noisy ass chain drive, chuck holes every two feet, all the dust you can eat, plus you get to hand crank it=sore ass and back. Yup it was just like driving a Chevy Tahoe.

  6613. #6613Pony2023-05-03 08:00

    I hope that log truck didn't try and take corners real fast, he might have been a wee bit top heavy.

  6614. #6614mekanik2023-05-03 08:49

    Th Acetylene lights too!

  6615. #6615BSAA65LB2023-05-03 20:39
  6616. #6616BSAA65LB2023-05-04 08:39

    Delivering Coke in Knoxville, TN about 1919. Who needs a steenking cab!

  6617. #6617BSAA65LB2023-05-05 09:08

    An old pic colorized

  6618. #6618crane operator2023-05-05 21:50

    A 1955 Sicard. Big waukesha gas burner. | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Factory snow plow is available too, Need to head to alberta for either one. | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

  6619. #6619Truck Shop2023-05-05 22:40

    Room for a 855.

  6620. #6620skyking12023-05-06 00:20

    that is a thing of beauty.

  6621. #6621DMiller2023-05-06 07:41

    Only in the Eye of the Beholder!!

  6622. #6622Truck Shop2023-05-06 08:03

    Break the windshield and your wallet will be in the eye of the beholder. Those old wrap around shields are expensive.

  6623. #6623DMiller2023-05-06 08:09

    Dodge Cab, appears a Diamond style Radiator Cornice. Fella here restored a 1959 Dodge Pickup, had to replace clouded shield, $860 JUST for the Glass, seal had to be custom made.

  6624. #6624Truck Shop2023-05-06 21:08

    I believe that's a REO nose. Would be about right year wise, either way White built the nose.

  6625. #6625skyking12023-05-06 23:50

    That is some of the beauty. The way the windshield curves are matched with the nose, that attention to styling details. I like it a lot! The 4wd and giant tires, the little chrome caps, the headlight array on the bumper. That is Oshkosh type goodness.

  6626. #6626DMiller2023-05-07 06:42

    A face only a Mother could love, like R190s

  6627. #6627DMiller2023-05-07 07:30

    Based my thought on the old Diamond I had driven. Similar to this.

  6628. #6628DMiller2023-05-07 07:35

    Even as I was a youth and scrawny back then, still had to fold myself into that old Diamond T where had to be careful letting out the clutch not to knock myself out with own knee!!

  6629. #6629Truck Shop2023-05-07 09:45

    All owned and built by White. Only difference is which cab was used. But those 190 cabs were the Cat's meow! Rounded, matched the rest of the sheet metal. Those Diamond T's had the best design for a radiator shell. Only one better was Autocar-IMO.

  6630. #6630Truck Shop2023-05-07 09:47

    One of my better renditions.

  6631. #6631Pops522023-05-07 11:25

    DM, I too drove one like this early in my career. I took this pic in 73 right before i quit. 55 model, 262, R-96 straight 5" exhaust. Lovely sound

  6632. #6632kshansen2023-05-07 12:24

    Have to wonder if the skinny little kids at school got picked on too much and decided to go into truck designing to get even with the kids who were into trucks?

  6633. #6633Old Doug2023-05-07 12:55

    A lot of stuff makes me wonder why or who was the person they built this for.

  6634. #6634Truck Shop2023-05-07 12:56

    Remember-In those days the average height was 5'11 not 6'1" plus average weight hovered at 190 lbs. Cabs were smaller because they didn't need to be big was the thought at the time. I'm reading a book right now by Sam Quinones { The Least of Us}. It's a fact based documentary on addiction in the U.S. and elsewhere. Mainly about opioids, fentanyl and the effects of just plain Sugar. With the poor diets of Americans no wonder truck cabs seem small. Sugar is the main ingredient in most food-especially the garbage offered at a truck stop. In the early days of trucking drivers often lumped their loads plus they weren't driving along with a bag of corn chips and Little Debbie snacks available at every turn of the wheel. Most trucks didn't have power steering, manual everything. As a kid I don't remember that many over weight people including truck drivers. So yeah--truck cabs were small, plus they weren't living in them. Below is some photo's from wheat farm harvest, can anyone find a over weight person in these photos. Farmers today are over weight. I see them all over town.

  6635. #6635BSAA65LB2023-05-07 17:03
  6636. #6636stinky642023-05-07 17:49

    What year did Great Dane start making trailers? I've got one of them big blue badges drilled and mounted to one of my Snappy side boxes and it just looks badass.

  6637. #6637Truck Shop2023-05-07 19:21

    Early to mid 1930's.

  6638. #6638Truck Shop2023-05-07 19:30

    Been looking for a old Great Dane badge. A few of these are worth some dough. The REO is 1911.

  6639. #6639Pops522023-05-07 19:41

    I’m impressed !

  6640. #6640Pops522023-05-07 19:50

    This is all I’ve got……..

  6641. #6641Truck Shop2023-05-07 20:58

    I received a call from my friend Steve this morning {You got time to go look at some Cummins}? So we went for a drive, old guy he knows has a business cleaning up warehouses, farms what ever comes along. So I looked at three one semi complete 444, one short blocked big cam and another big cam block that had been machined, decked and counter bores cut with new cam bearings. Plus three recon cylinder heads. Then a BCII complete. Plus a couple of bell housings. $1,500 for all. The Machined block is $1,500 to $2,000 just in machine work alone.

  6642. #6642Birken Vogt2023-05-07 21:05

    I'm surprised you don't have Fruehauf on there.

  6643. #6643Pops522023-05-07 21:10

    Did you buy them?

  6644. #6644Truck Shop2023-05-07 22:17

    Not yet, I already have a BCI 400 complete setting that's a good core, I could easily build three. Plus that 444 can be turned into a full mechanical, the 444 is a lower press fit liner block. Big Cams are still a wanted item, average price for machine work and parts to do a full rebuild is 9 to 10 K. depending. Plus I have a line on a 98 N14 500 hp so before long I would have a pile of engines. I forgot he had a 250 there too with a drop back manifold, was a stationary. He had a couple of 8V71's and a 92 also, I had to hold my nose as I walked by those.

  6645. #6645Pops522023-05-07 22:35

    The 250 would interest the ATHS guys.

  6646. #6646Truck Shop2023-05-07 23:02

    I don't have much to do with ATHS.

  6647. #6647Truck Shop2023-05-08 03:28

    I have one it's too big for space on box, looking for a small one. That was incorrect-it was $1,300 there were three big cams and one 444. The 444 is really just a mechanical N14 {STC} with low flow cooling instead of the high flow of the N14. The thing about the N14 is it's basically the same block as a BC with lower press fit liners. It can be built into a long lasting BCIII using BCIII heads injectors and pump.

  6648. #6648Old Doug2023-05-08 08:00

    Did you use this box at work till the end?

  6649. #6649BSAA65LB2023-05-08 09:33

    1958 KW brochure

  6650. #6650Truck Shop2023-05-08 11:18

    Yes, The top box I bought in 1975 Mac, Bottom I bought in 1988 Cornwell, Right I bought in 1986 Matco, Left I bought in 1989 Snap on. I had some other bottom and side boxes also at that time. I have other badges but most are not in good shape.

  6651. #6651Truck Shop2023-05-08 15:52

    Only photo I've seen of a 351 with quad headlights. Starting 1957 Pete offered fiberglass fenders as far as the headlights that is unknown, there are no build sheets showing those plus the glass fenders were limited in sales.

  6652. #6652Truck Shop2023-05-08 19:08

    Queensland 1963.

  6653. #6653stinky642023-05-09 10:06

    Looks very similar to my box, but I don't have that much good vintage stuff. Actually have an 80's FLR air horn mounted to the top lid (not hooked up for obvious reasons) and a brand new old stock bulldog mounted to bottom box. Have gotten comments for years about donating box to the Smithsonian when no longer wrenching. Like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

  6654. #6654Truck Shop2023-05-09 11:03

    I have a horn too but not mounted to anything, a yarder tooter. Loud as can be, came from a Madill 071 green yarder.

  6655. #6655Truck Shop2023-05-10 11:03

    Because of steel allocation during WWII these were the numbers built in 1944.

  6656. #6656Truck Shop2023-05-11 14:17

    I've seen this photo line up before but never have seen the original black & white. 1938 Kenworth Shovel Noses.

  6657. #6657stinky642023-05-14 09:14

    Me thinks whoever colorized that photo was a big fan of M&M's

  6658. #6658Truck Shop2023-05-15 17:27
  6659. #6659Oxbow2023-05-15 20:17

    I drove a Diamond T a bit, but it wasn't near as pretty as that. It had the compression release handle in the cab and a 220 Cummins maybe? I forget for sure now.

  6660. #6660Truck Shop2023-05-16 15:06
  6661. #6661Truck Shop2023-05-17 18:54

    D Miller with one foot resting on his favorite hog wart. Just kidding DM.

  6662. #6662DMiller2023-05-17 18:58

    Appears THAT DM swiped the wife's screen door for the grill screen.

  6663. #6663Truck Shop2023-05-17 19:11

    That's custom alright.

  6664. #6664farmerlund2023-05-18 01:10

    Hey TS where is the best place to get a tow pin for my 2010 388 pete? Quality forged but not $300?

  6665. #6665Truck Shop2023-05-18 09:16

    Possibly Hagerman Truck Salvage, or any truck salvage in your area.

  6666. #6666Truck Shop2023-05-18 19:47

    Rufus Parker had quite a nice truck line years ago, well run took good care of his equipment. Then his son took over and up his nose it went, dissolved in 1992 bankrupt.

  6667. #6667Birken Vogt2023-05-18 21:08

    Where is that picture taken? Somewhere near Gilroy/Hollister is my guess but does not look like Tacoma.

  6668. #6668Truck Shop2023-05-18 21:25

    No it's definitely not Tacoma, there have been several different trucks photographed on that same spot. Could be Gilroy area over Pacheco Pass to Los Banos. One other area possibly near Anderson above Red Bluff, Cottonwood area.

  6669. #6669Truck Shop2023-05-18 21:28

    This one looks somewhat to be in the same spot maybe different angle. The tree to the right is the same tree.

  6670. #6670Birken Vogt2023-05-18 22:58

    I live pretty close to Cottonwood/Red Bluff and it does not seem right to me. There would be more digger pines and brush up here I think. But I have not spent much time in Gilroy either. Also the hills are smaller and not as steep up north, at least near I-5 or what would have been US-99 at the time.

  6671. #6671Truck Shop2023-05-19 00:13

    Got to remember those photos are 59 to 60 vintage, allot changes in over half a century. The other area could have been Castaic at the bottom of the Vine on the southside. Those are not the only photos I've seen taken at that location, a Pete and International also. There was some shutterbug interested in trucks at the time.

  6672. #6672Truck Shop2023-05-19 00:53

    The more I think about it is at Tejon {Vine}, brake check area. Great shot with Rainer in the back ground.

  6673. #6673Birken Vogt2023-05-19 09:15

    Seems like there is more brush and less trees on the Vine, I guess we will never know for sure unless we can find the right hills because the trees and brush have surely changed in 60 years.

  6674. #6674Truck Shop2023-05-19 09:44

    I e-mailed a 90 year old x driver I know from Bakersfield, he verified the brake check area at Tejon.

  6675. #6675skyking12023-05-19 09:46

    that makes good sense. A shutterbug would have a whole lot of captive subject matter there.

  6676. #6676Truck Shop2023-05-19 10:08

    Two more that I suspect were taken by the same photographer as the ones above. These photos were taken by a semi professional photographer, the posing of the trucks and drivers plus the graininess of the photos match the others, same equipment used. Who ever it was, had a eye for the best models of trucks at that time. Created some nice photos of trucking back when for us old farts to enjoy today. For some reason every time I see the photo of the LT mack below which I think was photo'd near Bakersfield on old 99, I think of Dwight Yoakam { Streets of Bakersfield}.

  6677. #6677farmerlund2023-05-19 10:18

    I love that truck. brings back memories of my 74' blue with gold strip.

  6678. #6678Truck Shop2023-05-19 10:45

    Ah another up-date, I received another e-mail from another old trucker/collector. He bought the negatives from the photographer {Brian Williams}. Williams would set up shop taking photos at that Vine brake check area plus covered the valley up to Sacramento at times.

  6679. #6679Truck Shop2023-05-19 14:18

    One I enlarged but same area.

  6680. #6680DMiller2023-05-20 16:42

    Be just my luck Cornbinder will decide is a Good Pattern to remake the 190. Still love the old tiny windshield needle noses.

  6681. #6681Truck Shop2023-05-20 17:43

    It's the only rig that really looked like it should be a school bus, oinking all the way to school.

  6682. #6682Truck Shop2023-05-20 19:53

    An associate is selling one of his pieces. 1962 Model 923 KW, was a water truck, he bought it from original owner. Has a 335 with a window, has a small cam 350 to with it. SQDD's on Timken suspension with 5x4 and assist steering. $6,500 with engine $5,500 without. Truck is in real good condition for it's age. Posted for the photos.

  6683. #6683mekanik2023-05-20 21:48

    Damn you can only like a post once.

  6684. #6684Truck Shop2023-05-20 22:04

    He has another that's pretty close to the same grade, a 59. IIRC

  6685. #6685Truck Shop2023-05-21 05:34

    You know BV-I go to the trouble to find out where the photos were taken--and you don't even come back acknowledge. Don't ask anymore questions-I'm not going to bother.

  6686. #6686crane operator2023-05-21 08:37

    Mmmm- I like that butterfly hood. Wouldn't be handy to work on, but I just like how they look. "OVERLOADING OR OVERSPEEDING WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY" I think we are safely past the warranty period, time to turn the boost up and get to rolling.....

  6687. #6687Birken Vogt2023-05-21 08:42

    I meant no offense Mike, there were half a dozen other responses to other issues by the time I came back and saw your answer so I thought the acknowledgement post would have been out of place.

  6688. #6688crane operator2023-05-21 08:56

    Also- I wanted to mention the KW in post #6661 "Brute". That's the kind of truck I'm drawn to, short wheelbase, lots of capacity, day cab. Make a perfect truck with a flatbed for hauling counterweight. This week I needed my old '81 flatbed a hour and a half (in a car)- from the shop. We don't have our other flatbed finished yet, and had both cranes way over there. Its a spring over walking beam, short wheelbase, and my current driver for it has only driven it loaded, and he doesn't like the truck anyways- vs. the 20 year newer truck he usually drives. His usual truck is all air ride and big cat and drives like a car. The old ford rides like a wooden wagon with no suspension. When I told the driver we needed him to take it there- empty- his face fell and I knew he probably was going to find some reason it couldn't get there. Me and the other operator and rigger took off in the pickup- I told him to take it easy and he had 1/2 the day to get there. I got the call about 20 minutes later "I can't get over 35 mph in this thing and it starts shaking horribly- somethings wrong with it". Well- I know what's wrong with it, and what's wrong with it is- that its forty years old with a stiff suspension. But I had him just turn around and head back for the shop- if he doesn't feel safe then he shouldn't be driving it. We shuttled some stuff around on saturday and made it work. The guys who made their living driving those old girls every day- earned their money. And 50mph is plenty fast.

  6689. #6689Oxbow2023-05-21 13:27

    That is really tempting. I wish it still had the water tank on it.

  6690. #6690Truck Shop2023-05-21 14:06

    There is one here at the penitentiary just like it, has been setting for years. Complete with water tank, painted yellow, I watch the Wa St Surplus auction to see if it ever comes up.

  6691. #6691Oxbow2023-05-21 15:35

    We rarely need a water truck for our work, but do occasionally. Normally we just rent one, but in the last few years obtaining a rental has been difficult due to lack of availability. Purchasing something for a low price that we could haul to a job and use as needed could make sense.

  6692. #6692Truck Shop2023-05-21 15:41

    International Payhauler 350 mid 70's.

  6693. #6693Truck Shop2023-05-22 19:35
  6694. #6694crane operator2023-05-22 19:37

    1954 REO Wagon listed for sale.

  6695. #6695Truck Shop2023-05-22 19:50

    Nice DOT approved, Arrr thar matey hard to port.

  6696. #6696Truck Shop2023-05-22 21:04

    New highboy.

  6697. #6697crane operator2023-05-23 07:52

    We need a "post like a pirate day". I was actually wondering more what the third pedal was for with a automatic, but the old girl is hardly all factory anymore.

  6698. #6698Truck Shop2023-05-23 10:41

    59 Diamond T T950 repowered with 12V71 long ago.

  6699. #6699crane operator2023-05-23 17:35

    1969 white/freightliner. With a suspension I've never seen before. Looks like some kind of big rubber bushing captured in a cast cage?

  6700. #6700Truck Shop2023-05-23 17:58

    That's--WHITE Velvet ride suspension, Not surprised. White owned Freightliner in those years, so it was a option offered by White. * Notice the dark rivets on the right hand side of radiator opening. Typical for those, it means those rivets are loose from tunnel or issues with cracked engine tunnel.

  6701. #6701Truck Shop2023-05-23 18:18

    Have a set of jakes to rebuild for a friend on his Pete tow truck-only one problem parts/tune-up kit is no longer available from Jacobs for 349A jakes used on B model Cats. Which is toooooooo bad because the 349 was Jacobs Super Jake for B models, more complicated and created higher oil pressure within the jake using the exhaust rocker forcing the master piston up creating high pressure to the built in oil plenum to activate the slave piston. The 349 had about 35% more efficiency in brake hp. So now I get to remove and rebuilt a set of P36 Pacbrake models, and move all components from one B to the other. Jacobs has discontinued several kits for Cummins also, you can't get anything for the Jacobs 401 models, offered on BCIV's you have to spend about $3,800 to up grade to 425 model jakes.

  6702. #6702stinky642023-05-23 19:34

    Did CF ever own the FLR corporation ? Used to hear stories from the old timers about Corn Flake owning the brand then the feds making them spin it off because of some monopoly thing on the industry? We did own the company that made most of our trailers RSI- Road Systems Inc. ,I'm sure most truck enthusiasts have seen them at equipment auctions, fellers buying brand new pups at an auction in lots to scrap.

  6703. #6703Truck Shop2023-05-23 19:59

    Freightliner was a division of Consolidated Freightways started by Leland James the founder. And yes Freightliner built some very early conventional trucks, some were shop built and some were called Arrows-built by Arrow tank lines. The red Arrow is my photo, only a few exist. This one sets in La Grande Ore.

  6704. #6704Truck Shop2023-05-23 21:26

    In the one photo you made decisions on your terms, the other your just part of the machine, a vehicle number a piece of skin holding the seat down, lucky if dispatch knows your name.

  6705. #6705Truck Shop2023-05-23 21:51

    Testing the wind direction.

  6706. #6706petepilot2023-05-24 01:58

    the arrow is in good shape for 75 yrs old. has been cared for by someone

  6707. #6707petepilot2023-05-24 02:02

    ran a few trips in a 7400 white with that suspension many moons ago

  6708. #6708Old Doug2023-05-24 07:47

    I had a 72 Ford high boy. I liked it a lot drove good and rode good it had every thing to look like a good 4x4. It had one big problem it looked like a 4x4 pickup but it was the most helpless thing i ever owned . It sat up high and had a lot of spring travel . Put a load of wood in the bed and the rear would drop 18". The spring problem could have been fixed but its getting stuck problem was another thing.

  6709. #6709Truck Shop2023-05-24 10:07

    The owner wants too much for it-by what's known that one was built in Arrows Hermiston Ore shop in 1948. There's roughly six left that I know of, including the one Freightliner Corp has in the above photo.

  6710. #6710BSAA65LB2023-05-25 21:04
  6711. #6711Coaldust2023-05-26 00:34

    Here is a classic that’s still working hard everyday. She is packing a classic Clough Equipment Co Mc 306 2800 gallon tank. Serial # T-1441. Just finished performing an VKIP on it. I love the styling of the old tanks.

  6712. #6712Coaldust2023-05-26 00:35

    Get this,.. it still has the original product indicators in each compartment. Anybody recognize this company?

  6713. #6713Coaldust2023-05-26 00:37
  6714. #6714BSAA65LB2023-05-26 09:27
  6715. #6715Truck Shop2023-05-26 10:03

    Consumers Special-tailgate beer.

  6716. #6716Truck Shop2023-05-26 19:38
  6717. #6717Pops522023-05-26 19:58

    Wondering if the neck detaches. Hard to tell. Maybe the rear group detaches? Nice pic tho…..

  6718. #6718Oxbow2023-05-26 20:06

    I was wondering how you load it too.

  6719. #6719Pops522023-05-26 20:09

    Pretty good load for the old Mack !!

  6720. #6720Truck Shop2023-05-26 20:58

    That photo was taken down under, IIRC the group detaches.

  6721. #6721Truck Shop2023-05-26 21:05

    This 1956 B71-220 Cummins with a 9 Speed Over Gear {226,000 miles} moved a A14 D8 most all of it's life. Up into the Blue Mountains cutting USFS and logging roads. Just rotting with the seasons.

  6722. #6722Pops522023-05-27 01:03

    Gearing & patience

  6723. #6723Truck Shop2023-05-27 03:02

    That's what people had in 1956-patience.

  6724. #6724mowingman2023-05-27 09:28

    I never got a chance to try driving one of those old Macks with multiple gear shifters. I did ride with a guy in one back in the 70's. he was hauling coal flyash at a power plant, to an onsite dump nearby. As I recall, he shifted about 21 times in only 2 miles. I remember being amazed at how he was able to shift two levers at a time using both hands and steering with his knee. Jeff

  6725. #6725Old Doug2023-05-27 09:39

    What about the wasp nests? Is that a bench seat?

  6726. #6726Pops522023-05-27 10:32

    The bench seat was a good place for a nap!

  6727. #6727skyking12023-05-27 10:42

    get it in the proper gear and set the hand throttle

  6728. #6728Truck Shop2023-05-27 10:44

    You should see the yellow jacket nests now. 4 times as big, yes all were bench. The B73 and B75's had a 3" drop floor for a little more leg room. Example below.

  6729. #6729DMiller2023-05-27 18:13

    That Kidney mangling mess was what the '74 A-car I hauled fuel with had, Gawd Awful as I do not believe that donut ever gave up any movement. WB was about 1/3 of that unit. Cabs on the Lease company Frt Shkrs in SLC when I worked there had that exhaust stack corner reverse.

  6730. #6730Truck Shop2023-05-27 20:30

    Been there years ago Union off Alameda, La. Don't ice anymore. This is a combination use cattle truck/refer, didn't see too many of these.

  6731. #6731Oxbow2023-05-27 22:46

    Roscoe Wagner out of Twin Falls. He had a Wilson trailer franchise when I lived there.

  6732. #6732DDoug2023-05-28 07:40

    I dunno, but Toyota just announced making a mini Hi-lux (Tacoma).....Oiy I have to fold myself up just to get into mine as it is now.

  6733. #6733Truck Shop2023-05-28 11:35

    Use to see this truck line in the 60's, not much to the refrigeration compressor unit.

  6734. #6734DMiller2023-05-28 11:38

    The old Ammonia putt-putt units were pretty trouble free.

  6735. #6735Truck Shop2023-05-29 10:48

    Didn't cool very well, imagine that cooling a 53'.

  6736. #6736Truck Shop2023-05-29 11:03
  6737. #6737mekanik2023-05-29 11:44

    One of the band councils near me had the identical Hayes Clipper with an 8v71 Detroit in it. Hayes trucks used to have a long narrow upholstered cover that snapped onto snaps on the firewall to cover the dash opening for noise reduction and it slowed down the dust buildup inside the gauges. The Clipper was the only Hayes I ever saw that still had the cover intact.

  6738. #6738Truck Shop2023-05-29 14:56

    When looking at a Hayes 200, you can see IH's copy in the 4300.

  6739. #6739DMiller2023-05-29 17:41

    Suspect the Hayes can was better.

  6740. #6740BSAA65LB2023-05-29 20:57
  6741. #6741mekanik2023-05-29 22:00

    It was January and it was really cold out like -30f. The main air line from the compressor froze up and ruptured I was sent there Sunday morning to repair it. I made the 75 mile drive leaving early and the sun was just coming up when I arrived. Hayes used #8 single wire air line from the compressor, all the other truck manufacturers used #10. There was a small house bordering on the yard where I was working, 500 maybe 600 Sq Ft. The front door swung open and I could hear a woman's voice saying "Get out Git out get out get out get out get out get out get out git out get out get out" Seven dogs exited the house and were peeing and pooing in the front yard.They must have been real dog lovers!

  6742. #6742Oxbow2023-05-29 22:21

    This brings up a question for you guys that are familiar with old trucks. Correct me if I'm wrong, but at one time wasn't air for the compressor, or perhaps after the compressor run through an alcohol filled reservoir to work as an air dryer? I know I have seen them but to my knowledge have never driven a truck that was equipped with one.

  6743. #6743Jumbo2023-05-29 23:54

    TS, looking at the photo, wasn't there an outfit our of Yakima in the '60s and '70s that ran a similar configuration? I seem to remember the trucks were either silver or white with red lettering. Am I old or just plain nuts thinking this?

  6744. #6744mekanik2023-05-30 06:57

    Yes I still see them on occasion. One of the trucks I help maintain is a around 10 year old Volvo VNL it came from the factory with one.

  6745. #6745BSAA65LB2023-05-30 09:04
  6746. #6746Truck Shop2023-05-30 10:48

    Several trucking companies ran those. Were common in the lower valley.

  6747. #6747Truck Shop2023-05-31 21:48

    My computer crashed about ten days ago, finally got it replaced. Didn't go to a box store this time, went to a local computer sales/service place. They built one for me, this thing is so fast I'm going to have to get use to it. Has a vast amount of storage.

  6748. #6748crane operator2023-05-31 21:58

    Hope you didn't lose a lot when your computer crashed. Just wait about 5 years and then your new computer will be just as slow as your old one.

  6749. #6749Truck Shop2023-05-31 22:06

    Didn't loose anything fortunately, one of the reasons I went this route when buying, I will take it in once a year for a computer tune-up. Part of the three year warranty-no charge for it. Mine got slow with PDF's stored along with all the photos I have. That's why I bought what I bought.

  6750. #6750Truck Shop2023-05-31 22:07

    41 Peterbilt.

  6751. #6751Truck Shop2023-05-31 22:10

    The one ton is a Auburn/Corbitt, and the tractor is a Corbitt.

  6752. #6752Truck Shop2023-06-01 02:23

    A story to this Sterling Model J. Years ago my mother lived in Red Bluff Ca. near the airport, I'm about 99% sure there was a 39 Model J Sterling setting in a fenced lot next to several other old fender floppers. At that time the grille was smashed up and the fenders and most of the hood were gone. I never could get in to take a closer look, only had binoculars. Only one I have ever seen, and none were known to exist at that time. Then about 15 years ago this Sterling collector was said to be restoring/rebuilding the only J model left, mysteriously found. The last time I drove by there was 1993 and the J was gone. I'm quite positive it's the same truck, restorer hasn't said where it came from. However the job restoring it was a great job. The nose/grille, fenders and hood were hand crafted.

  6753. #6753kshansen2023-06-01 09:13

    Are you thinking of these:

  6754. #6754Truck Shop2023-06-01 09:38

    Those alcohol dryers were hard on air brake components, worked the o-rings over in brake valves.

  6755. #675556wrench2023-06-01 10:53

    Never use regular alcohol in those, only the specialized air brake antifreeze which isn’t as hard on o’rings, seals and diaphragms

  6756. #6756Truck Shop2023-06-01 12:28

    I thought that too until early in the ABS years starting 1998. We had a short rash of main ABS valves leaking past the exhaust port, was told by Utility not to use air brake antifreeze. Whether that was the cause I can't say for sure but the use was stopped and issue stopped.

  6757. #6757renovator2023-06-01 20:23

    It the late 70s, the company I worked for installed a type of alcohol injector (methanol?) on an International Loadstar 1700 that had air brakes. Air dryers weren't very common in those days. That was a sweet running gasser. We worked it to death and it never used a drop of oil (just lots of gas).

  6758. #6758Truck Shop2023-06-01 21:11

    I have some nice easy entertainment/work coming up. My friend Dwight called me yesterday about driving a belly dump set up for about 6 days worth of work. The nice thing is where the job is located. Out in the Clyde area 35 miles north of town hauling from a pit at Lyons Ferry. Two trucks running pulling belly dumps at about ten loads a day each, plus load yourself and scale it. Out in the middle of nowhere, hardly any traffic on any of those roads, very few buildings around, no one to bug you, deer and other wildlife to look at, nothing obstructing the view. Perfect. Plus he only has excellent equipment to drive--zero iffy junk.

  6759. #6759Pops522023-06-01 22:09

    Now that’s a “retirement job”. I guess you did pull the plug?

  6760. #6760Coaldust2023-06-01 22:38

    Common for Alaskan tanker fleets to still spec them on new trucks. Old habits die hard.

  6761. #6761DMiller2023-06-02 06:29

    Sounds as the clay haul I ran over a year ago. Self entertained and low pressure.

  6762. #6762Oxbow2023-06-02 08:04

    Yep!

  6763. #6763Truck Shop2023-06-02 10:21

    The surrounding area of Lyons Ferry and Clyde, The road actually goes around elevator but runs straight in line with center of elevator. Fields will be green this time of year and turn color fast. Pit is near top of grade. Fun job to do, very few people out there, just a few snakes-Bull and Buzz.

  6764. #6764Truck Shop2023-06-02 10:30

    Oh I pulled the plug alright. Since I left the mayhem began. Seven of the longer term drivers quit. And two more gave notice last week, expenses climbing, 9 trucks towed but he won't call me to use his own tow truck, hates to admit some defeat at this point. * The Fish Rots from the Head Down.

  6765. #6765Truck Shop2023-06-02 21:36
  6766. #6766crane operator2023-06-03 08:30

    Losing 9 drivers would really hurt. What's he got? 50-60 trucks? Losing that large of a percentage of his drivers isn't good. And the long term employee's are drivers that typically aren't tearing trucks up everyday, its the new drivers that are difficult.

  6767. #6767DMiller2023-06-03 09:23

    Currently at the local yard I am at, the original owner is still around day to day, health failing him where knew could not keep up the work yet there are at least eight of us that would be gone the day he has to stay away or gets so ill cannot be there to run shotgun.

  6768. #6768Truck Shop2023-06-03 13:02

    A total of 13 are setting out of 65 tractors. There are so many things involved with new hires cost wise, training is the big one. Getting them use to all the shippers/receivers, the commodity being hauled, refer temp settings, fuel stops, and so on. About the time a driver gets acclimated they quit. But one huge issue is lying to a driver or decreeing safety is a priority, then a driver finds a tire issue and he is told to run it-your late we will change it later and later never comes. When the pay rate is 10 cents low it attracts drivers that are 10 cents low. * One of the big issues that came up is drivers are not paid while on Company owned property {shop/yard} that Penske leases and controls the maintenance for the company. A service there takes 5 to 6 hours to perform meanwhile the driver is on company property-if asked a question related to his truck-that's conducting company business. The driver is technically on duty, not making a living. * Apparently my name and the old shop came up several times, and the fact it was rare for any of the drivers to be tied up past 1.5 hrs for service repairs. If that happened I worked something out by moving them into another rig for a trip, to keep things rolling. That doesn't happen now, and you know what? It isn't my problem anymore either, I did my job to the best of my ability while I was there.

  6769. #6769DMiller2023-06-03 13:35

    Problem solvers and decision makers are all but gone now. Down to bean counters and meter/computer readers.

  6770. #6770Hank R2023-06-03 14:25

    Bean counters run the world now a days, the larger the company the worse it gets.

  6771. #6771Truck Shop2023-06-03 16:47

    Dispatch is looking for him.

  6772. #6772Truck Shop2023-06-03 16:48

    For you LTL Ford people.

  6773. #6773crane operator2023-06-03 17:01

    He had to stop and check air pressure in the trailer tires. He might be a while.

  6774. #6774kshansen2023-06-03 18:25

    Ain't that the truth! When I started at the quarry it was a fairly small company. The majority of their operations were in New York and Penn. Back then once a year all the top bosses would tour the various plants and stop and chat to many of the workers right down to the new hires and summer help. 90% of the time they knew who your father or other relative was as a good percentage of the workers were related to or neighbors of someone who worked as well. Dad got his job by knowing George who lived next door to us, my brother worked a couple summers and I ended up staying on more or less from the day after I graduated high school till I turned 65. Unfortunately things started changing over the years as company was bought out by one company after another and at each merger it added at least one layer of management. With each of these the distance from the guy doing ground work in the plant moved further away from the head office people. One thing I don't think I ever saw in all the years I worked there was a help wanted sign in the local paper. Now in the last couple months I see there is a permanent probably eight by twelve banner attached to the fence by the front gate. It got so bad that last year my last boss got tired of the BS and lack of support from upper management and quit! He's I believe in his mid fifties so far from retired, and actually has worked for the company on a few occasions, see he had his crane operators license and what ever paper you need for that kind of wok and he kept everything up to date over the years. He told me now he runs better equipment at better pay and does not have to deal with the BS from the company. Just pull in set up the crane do the picks and drive off to the next job!

  6775. #6775Truck Shop2023-06-03 18:44

    Her right side steer tire was probably a little low, he'll get that pumped up.

  6776. #6776Truck Shop2023-06-03 21:47

    Prototype Hendrickson, A guy could cut himself on it.

  6777. #6777DMiller2023-06-04 06:37

    Appears a cross breed Diamond, Ford, White and possibly a Fruehauf corrugated trailer. The addition of Towboat style forward canted windshield just looks awkward.

  6778. #6778crane operator2023-06-04 08:25

    Shoot, that's a huge hendrickson cab. Its easiest to make square cabs when you're welding them up. They never were much concerned with looks. Hendrickson subjected dimensionally challenged crane operators, to tiny square cabs for years.

  6779. #6779Truck Shop2023-06-04 08:26

    Built from leftover RSH parts.

  6780. #6780DMiller2023-06-04 08:48

    Local UP siding had GMK 5275 used only main mast with at most two squirt booms to set ROW machinery from a yard drop by truck. Helluva bill to move machines more than likely a tenth of capacity for a Budrovich team. Crane two service trucks and a tractor trailer they retrieved ONE counterweight piece from.

  6781. #6781Truck Shop2023-06-04 13:06

    Perfect dump truck, never should have quit building them like this.

  6782. #6782DMiller2023-06-04 13:49

    Actual Hydraulics, Solids on Rear, Open Air Flow for driver, Class Act.

  6783. #6783renovator2023-06-04 18:54

    You can bet he wasn't distracted on his phone, adjusting the air ride seat, playing with the radio, or being safe. He was probably thrilled to have a job.

  6784. #6784Truck Shop2023-06-04 18:59

    Plus showed up everyday on time.

  6785. #6785BSAA65LB2023-06-04 21:01
  6786. #6786cfherrman2023-06-04 22:19

    I think it's been awhile since this has hauled some water

  6787. #6787Coaldust2023-06-05 02:15

    I used to hunt mule deer on that bluff between Lyons Ferry and Starbuck. Interesting place because white tail and mule deer habitat crossed over. Even saw elk. There was a wheat producer that refused to join the local hunt club lease mafia and allowed guys to hunt. Also, in that area, every section 36 of each township is university land and is open to the public, but access can be tough. Corner crossing and such. I worked on his equipment. Had a couple Challenger 65’s. Can’t recall his name. Great family.

  6788. #6788Truck Shop2023-06-05 02:49

    Oh yeah there's been elk there for a long time. Ayers Junction back up the road runs to the west of Lyons Ferry takes you to the Union Pacific siding yard along the river, that area is totally infested with Mule and White Tail plus rattle snakes. The whole of the Snake River to Clarkston is full of Chucker's. But you can't get on much of that land, university land is closed now. Dwight will know who that farmer is.

  6789. #6789BSAA65LB2023-06-05 09:37
  6790. #6790mowingman2023-06-05 10:43

    What kind of trucks are those yellow cabovers? I think my great uncle had one of those for his moving and storage business. Jeff

  6791. #6791Truck Shop2023-06-05 11:20

    Jimmy's.

  6792. #6792Truck Shop2023-06-05 11:32

    This photo of the only Kenworth produced {factory custom built in 1950} with a Hall Scott- V12 {2,182 cu.in.} Defender keeps popping up on the web. It was built using a three man cab and had outside frame mounted steering gear. It was built for a fuel company-story goes it later caught fire/roasted. A friend who is a early KW collector of records-no build sheet has ever turned up in KW archives. But he managed to come up with these photos of it's construction.

  6793. #6793Truck Shop2023-06-05 11:33

    The rest.

  6794. #6794Truck Shop2023-06-05 11:34
  6795. #6795cfherrman2023-06-05 11:48

    What kind of engine?

  6796. #6796mowingman2023-06-05 12:55

    Yep, my great uncle had one of these. In fact, he had a whole city block long garage where he parked his old trucks when he no longer used them. This old semi had a little short moving type trailer still hooked to it. I know he had trucks dating back to model A Fords in those garages. Everything was sold at an auction in about 1974 or so. Wish I knew if any were saved, but I was not at the auction to see what happened to them.

  6797. #6797Truck Shop2023-06-05 14:36

    As noted in first post-Hall Scott V12 Defender 2,182 cu.in..

  6798. #6798cfherrman2023-06-05 16:51

    Yeah I saw that, still does not give much info....gas or diesel?

  6799. #6799Truck Shop2023-06-05 17:32

    Hall Scott only built gas, butane, propane engines. One place the Defender was used was PT Boats.

  6800. #6800Truck Shop2023-06-05 17:40

    A Hall Scott with Zenith toilet hanging on the side, this one is around 275 hp-Over Head Cam as were the lot of HS.

  6801. #6801skyking12023-06-05 17:50

    I see them in fire trucks

  6802. #6802skyking12023-06-05 17:53

    N

  6803. #6803Truck Shop2023-06-05 17:55

    Hall Scot & Continental were used allot in fire trucks years ago. The Hall Scott I posted above came out of a old Northwest Crain.

  6804. #6804Truck Shop2023-06-05 18:00

    This post war Pete is powered by a 1,091 cu.in. Hall Scott. Emblem on hood.

  6805. #6805Truck Shop2023-06-05 18:31
  6806. #6806Truck Shop2023-06-05 18:37

    And the engine that killed the remains of Hall Scott, Cummins all but finished them and GMC with it's 702 cu.in. twin 351 V6's to make a V12 gas engine. And the price of gas verses diesel at the time killed GMC V12 by 1967.

  6807. #6807cfherrman2023-06-05 23:24

    Time to bring them back for emissions, 2000 cu in gas engines

  6808. #6808Truck Shop2023-06-06 15:32

    Problem was GMC didn't have much of a truck to put the 702 in, dandy to work on and didn't ride that well.

  6809. #6809skyking12023-06-06 15:39

    yeah holy crap those are a gem with just the V-6 to work on.

  6810. #6810Truck Shop2023-06-06 17:25

    Just MO-GMC, Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge never built a truck worth much. Pickups yes. People rave about them, but when it came to parts support they really lacked. And all of them disappeared for a reason.

  6811. #6811Truck Shop2023-06-06 19:26
  6812. #6812stinky642023-06-06 20:03

    He's haulin' in the talent.

  6813. #6813BSAA65LB2023-06-06 20:55
  6814. #6814Truck Shop2023-06-06 21:50

    Notice the spare under the trailer-black and round is about all.

  6815. #6815Old Doug2023-06-07 08:36

    I dont understand how this truck would have worked out with that small of a propane tank? That would have been a real pain. I guess if you had several of them and had your own propane truck and a full time driver keeping them topped off .

  6816. #6816Truck Shop2023-06-07 08:40

    Under pressure, plus only hauling from landing to yard.

  6817. #6817Old Doug2023-06-07 11:42

    I have been around several propane rigs and running out of propane was always a problem unless they would also run on gas.

  6818. #6818Truck Shop2023-06-07 11:50

    Navajo-ran any brand and just about any configuration years ago, and many leased to Navajo.

  6819. #6819Truck Shop2023-06-07 11:51
  6820. #6820Truck Shop2023-06-07 11:52
  6821. #6821Truck Shop2023-06-07 11:54
  6822. #6822Acoals2023-06-07 13:52

    What's up with the box on the back of the long wheel base tractors?

  6823. #6823Truck Shop2023-06-07 15:25

    Called a Drom or dromedary. In those days with bridge laws a drom could be used and still pull a 38 to 42' semi trailer, basically making a truck/trailer from a standard semi. Hostess/Wonder Bread, Safeway all ran some of those.

  6824. #6824Acoals2023-06-07 15:55

    Interesting. Before my time and on the wrong side of the continent, apparently ...

  6825. #6825Truck Shop2023-06-07 19:01

    California, Arizona basically 11 western states those were common, below a typical truck you would see setup for local hauling late 50's into the late 70's.

  6826. #6826BSAA65LB2023-06-07 19:52
  6827. #6827BSAA65LB2023-06-08 08:52
  6828. #6828Old Doug2023-06-08 19:07

    I know a guy that had the snub nose version of that truck even same color . I ask him if he would sell it but i never got a answer . It was setting were i could see it from the road but now the place is over grown it may still be there.

  6829. #6829Truck Shop2023-06-09 01:39

    Got to post something to cover that stinky detroit.

  6830. #6830skyking12023-06-09 01:58

    I remember seeing some droms not that long ago, made me smile.

  6831. #6831DMiller2023-06-09 18:59

    Today I saw a Oddball of more Modern Vintage, a Pete COE, FOUR Door. Will try to get by it this weekend, and IS For Sale. At Wright City MO.

  6832. #6832Truck Shop2023-06-09 19:12

    Worked cleaning a BCIII block I bought today, had light rust inside from setting. Been setting for 25 years, inside a shop, fully re-machined. Decked, line bored and counter bores redone for lower press fit liners. The reason I know it sat for that long is CEMCO was stamped on the edge of deck along with dimensions. That company sold out in 2000, and the trucking company that had this block went out of business about that time. But for what I paid for it {minimal} it was definitely worth saving, the same machine work at todays prices $2,500 to $2,800. With it and cleaning supplies a total of $300,00 invested. Plus I bought a tote bin with three turbos, heads and various parts. Plus a machined Small Cam 350 with crank and OEM Cummins piston liner kit's installed, it was $200.00. I just sell it on the cheap to make a few bucks. This old stuff is still wanted.

  6833. #6833Truck Shop2023-06-09 19:14

    I can't remember the trucking company that used those as training tractors.

  6834. #6834DMiller2023-06-10 06:11

    Kind of figured was some form of a training cab. Surprised it survived to today.

  6835. #6835mowingman2023-06-10 16:35

    They have a big truck show today in our town. I bet there are 80-90 trucks on display. Here are a few of the older ones.

  6836. #6836mowingman2023-06-10 16:37

    More from the show.

  6837. #6837Truck Shop2023-06-10 20:18

    That early 70's Star looks to be close to original condition. The green White Road Boss is in fare shape, be better with less farkles.

  6838. #6838Truck Shop2023-06-10 20:50

    Hermiston Ore, a Fageol tractor.

  6839. #6839Truck Shop2023-06-10 22:19

    Somethings should never be.

  6840. #6840mowingman2023-06-11 07:46

    That "sleeping accommodation" must have been kind of tight!

  6841. #6841BSAA65LB2023-06-11 10:07
  6842. #6842Truck Shop2023-06-11 10:19

    {Names Jeb Waller I own this here digger, who you look'n at}.

  6843. #684356wrench2023-06-11 10:22

    How did that Mixermobile get around corners? It appears to be a rigid frame front-to-back.

  6844. #6844DMiller2023-06-11 13:26

    Got a invite to a show at the Warrenton MO fairgrounds Sept 9th. Old friend I caughg up with while hauling rock invited to bring the 900. He said looks good enough to at least show off my old rusty skills.

  6845. #6845mekanik2023-06-11 14:02

    The operator is at the controls the guy above the track was the engineer the fireman and the lube man.

  6846. #6846Truck Shop2023-06-11 15:41

    I though he was just looking for a chew of tobacco.

  6847. #6847JaredV2023-06-11 16:45

    That's why it never caught on. First trip loaded out the gate must have gone straight across the street. I also wonder what happened going through a dip or over a hump.

  6848. #6848Truck Shop2023-06-11 18:30

    It just looks that way in the photo, crummy photo. It was a truck trailer on a sliding tongue. Nothing really new except it won first place for dumb.

  6849. #6849BSAA65LB2023-06-12 09:22
  6850. #6850Truck Shop2023-06-12 18:36

    BCIII block I bought that was fully re-machined, mic'd, all work is on the money. *

  6851. #6851Truck Shop2023-06-12 21:16

    What's the thought you guys? I have a core BCI 400 for the rest of donor parts. Should I rebuild or sell the the bare block? A ponderance.

  6852. #6852Acoals2023-06-13 05:04

    Build it

  6853. #6853RocketScott2023-06-14 07:34

    Got something to put it in?

  6854. #6854Truck Shop2023-06-14 08:26

    No-just build to sell. Just like the last one I built and sold below only this one would be long block form.

  6855. #6855BSAA65LB2023-06-14 08:35
  6856. #6856DMiller2023-06-14 19:17

    I am having similar thoughts on that C15 block I am sitting on. Buy a core for internals and build it, possibly find a dead derelict to build it for.

  6857. #6857Truck Shop2023-06-14 19:47

    May as well, I removed the top end today on the BCI core, the deck on it's good also. I can build a BCIII 400 level long block with oil pump, accessory drive, injectors and jakes installed for a reasonable price including 3 brand new heads and 6 reman rods with a new camshaft. So a tight engine with all good housing bores, counter bores, straight deck for good sealing. And still put some money in my pocket. There is a market for these old mechanicals.

  6858. #6858petepilot2023-06-14 21:52

    Is that an 83?

  6859. #6859Truck Shop2023-06-14 22:01
  6860. #6860petepilot2023-06-14 22:09

    I'm sure that's an 83 .0lder model than the one in the video.sweet machchine not much slows em down

  6861. #6861Pops522023-06-14 23:08

    They were a “rush” loading over the back. Nuthin but sky for a moment….

  6862. #6862petepilot2023-06-15 00:30

    Been there

  6863. #6863BSAA65LB2023-06-15 09:42
  6864. #6864Truck Shop2023-06-15 11:31

    Late 30's early 40's Freightliner above. Nice photo BSA.

  6865. #6865Pops522023-06-15 12:16

    At first glance, the cab told me Sterling, the radiator said Diamond-T but I think the bumper is Freightliner?

  6866. #6866Truck Shop2023-06-15 15:54

    The radiator is actually FRTLNR, cab, fenders and hood also.

  6867. #6867Truck Shop2023-06-15 19:34

    Again.

  6868. #6868Old Doug2023-06-15 21:21

    I wonder what it was used for and did it start out like that?

  6869. #6869Truck Shop2023-06-15 21:27

    Crane Operator will know.

  6870. #6870crane operator2023-06-16 06:55

    Before my time, but the boom looks like one from a old little giant. the rest looks homemade. Also looks like they were using fuel as counterweight. Or they worked the backside of beyond, and wanted enough to get home.

  6871. #6871Truck Shop2023-06-16 14:02

    Finished stripping the BC-I this morning, Very good std crank, perfect cam & followers, rods are all good in spec and accessory drive is in very condition.

  6872. #6872skyking12023-06-16 14:13

    It also placed in the top three for ugly.

  6873. #6873BSAA65LB2023-06-17 08:58
  6874. #6874DMiller2023-06-17 09:02

    On Faceplant Marketplace been seeing a ginormous amount of old COEs for sale, used to be able to grab a late 80s Corn Queen even a Eagle cabover for around $4000, now are selling for $12-18000, and Are Selling.

  6875. #6875Truck Shop2023-06-17 09:25

    It's------------nuts.

  6876. #6876DMiller2023-06-17 09:48

    Yes, THEY are!!

  6877. #6877stinky642023-06-17 09:54

    No emissions man, new trucks are good for about 250-300,000 then start partsing you to death as well as down time and labor. Paccar nox sensor that fits in the palm of your hand $600+. During and after the covid days we had 6 trucks down for that POS sensor that was on nationwide backorder for months. Really sucks when you're an owner operator and you still have to make that payment and lease a ride. Them old rides ain't pretty, but as long as you've got fuel, air and squish you're trailer truckin' buddy.

  6878. #6878Truck Shop2023-06-17 12:46

    Lets see, which choir I'm in.

  6879. #6879Oxbow2023-06-17 13:32

    Hmmm, you are building a BC aren't you?

  6880. #6880Old Doug2023-06-17 14:58

    In the old days a bunch of owner operators would have returned there trucks back to the factory through a door they made themselves but now days they say please sell me another like the one that dosent run and thank you for selling me a truck i cant use and may bankrupt me. I have seen stuff happen and the owner just laid there and took it.

  6881. #6881Truck Shop2023-06-17 15:47

    Low maintenance issues = Cat E models and B models, which doesn't include PEEC 4CK engines. Cummins any N14, Big Cam from CPL 369,393 BCI to BCIII 891 which are all full flow cooling, mechanicals. Any low flow Big Cam IV, New Big Cam IV, NT88 is a turd. Series 60 from 1993 12.7L up and 14L. Anything else is problematic. * Gear boxes-as far as old style 14613, any 13 from 15713 up those are high torque. 15 speeds haven't been produced for a while now, there never was such a thing as a double over 15. 18 speeds are for heavy haul not needed in any other situation. 10 speeds are tough, 10C 1st is same as low in a 13, plus overdrive in 10th. 8LL is for mixers and dumps. Not much need in a set of sticks with the torque and horse power of todays engines. AMT's are for lazy dumb ass people.

  6882. #6882cfherrman2023-06-17 17:28

    I screen shot your post to retain for good info. Also add in Allison 750 to the list, anything else is too small. What about the 11.1 series 60?

  6883. #6883Truck Shop2023-06-17 18:36

    Allison's are good for vocational, but for highway no. Heavy and eat too much fuel. The 11.1 was ok and is now becoming hard to get parts for. The 12.7 was refined and a better ECM which was used for years. The 12.7 was rated at a max hp of 470 then in late 97 internal engine changes were made allowing a straight 500 Hp at with a torque profile of 1700 towards the end. Truth is the Series 60 12.7 is without a doubt the best engine ever offered in a truck. Main bearings would last till 800,000, no cam issues, iron top pistons, well designed cylinder head and cooling system, plus it had real good jakes. Easy too work on, stand up to change a starter, everything externally was pretty easy to access. Cam removal was not difficult just have to have a few special tools like most. The 14L DDEC III and IV were great engines, could be spec'd to as much as 575 Hp and 1850 torque. We had 5 rated at 575-would give any C15 or ISX a real hard time and usually win. 550 hp 14L below I rebuilt, put 700,000 on it before it was traded off.

  6884. #6884DMiller2023-06-17 18:53

    Can almost see Cat C Series lines in that engine TS.

  6885. #6885cfherrman2023-06-17 18:56

    There's lots of vocational uses in the world.

  6886. #6886Truck Shop2023-06-17 18:59

    When one is opened up it's easy to see the similarities. The big difference that Cat & Cummins didn't get right is cam/cylinder head design. Unlike Cat & Cummins the Series 60 cam can be removed without tearing the front of engine or radiator out.

  6887. #6887Truck Shop2023-06-17 19:00

    There is yes and that's where those belong.

  6888. #6888Truck Shop2023-06-17 19:04

    That 14L went in this Glider.

  6889. #6889Pops522023-06-17 19:43

    TS, I bought a new 96 Pete with a 5EK/455HP, 18718B & DT461P. I ran the truck for over 750K miles without any issues except for a thrust washer in the back rear and I caught it early. Bought 2 more E-models in 2000 & 2001 and had no issues with either of those engines. But I screwed up.... I sold the 96 to a crane co. and bought a new 2005 with an ISX 565, it all went down hill from there. I sold it all in 08 and the new owner had to do an inframe on the cummins at 450K. That 96 was the best truck ever.

  6890. #6890Truck Shop2023-06-17 20:14

    That was a good combination with the 461's. The early 5EK's had a few updates but all engines do, all of those overhead cammers were good engines. The company had a bunch of 475's, two issues were broken rockers and cracked heads on a few, and those were warranty.

  6891. #6891Truck Shop2023-06-17 20:30

    Top end. *

  6892. #6892mekanik2023-06-17 21:40

    Brings back memories!

  6893. #6893petepilot2023-06-17 21:51

    Not real old iron.just86 a 1937 Pontiac 4 door with just over 37k miles .still in original condition. Flathead 6 3 on the floor. saw that today

  6894. #6894DMiller2023-06-18 08:38

    Sad to say when saw later DD series with air compressor on the bell housing like a Volvo, destroyed any candidacy for myself as a unit to own

  6895. #6895BSAA65LB2023-06-18 09:36

    https://i.postimg.cc/4dHFvZkg/27-CD4391-C1-**-4027-A315-EA4-AA28-A623-C.jpg

  6896. #6896Truck Shop2023-06-18 10:51

    That came about with Daimler/Mercedes. Although the DD15 style can be a issue to work on it's a good engine. 1500 lbs of torque at 975 rpm, will pull all the way down to 1100.

  6897. #6897Pops522023-06-18 12:09

    @petepilot Not a Pontiac, but a 37 Buick. I picked this up in Eugene, Or sometime in 1988 and brought it back to Santa Maria, Ca. Truck was a 74 KW rollback with a 350 cummins!

  6898. #6898Pops522023-06-18 14:07

    I'll add that I got a lot of thumbs up from the passing motorists along with the CHP that wrote me a ticket for 65 with a 3 axle truck at 5am up by Dunsmuir. He said, "nice car, what year is it?" Ah, the memories of us old truckers.............

  6899. #6899petepilot2023-06-18 14:16

    That's a beauty.years ago my brother had a 36 don't remember it looking that good but it was fast it had a straight 8

  6900. #6900petepilot2023-06-18 14:22

    The guy with the Pontiac lives close . He has it up for sale. I will get a pic of itfirst chance I get.body style is almost same as buick

  6901. #6901Queenslander2023-06-18 16:31

    I agree, ours has been a great engine…except for aforementioned air compressor.

  6902. #6902cfherrman2023-06-18 17:44

    This is an ad from the 50's for a 658 draworks single drum. The truck listed is a rf 192. I have the same draworks in the rig in my avatar except it has two drums and was manufactured in its last year in 1965. Extremely great draworks still used on retrucked rigs in the area with the same setup just more features such as more winches and hydraulic jacks. I used to drive a truck just like the ad except it had a 94 w900 w/ l10 300 hp and a winch and a couple jacks (leveling legs) and tooled out it weighed 47,000#. My rig as pictured weighs around 70,000# but I never have weighed it yet.

  6903. #6903Truck Shop2023-06-18 19:40

    The air compressor job itself isn't necessarily bad, it really depends on year and model. The later years have a little less crap engineered in the way. IMO where the compressor is located plus extended oil changes don't help, air flow is blocked off. The major issue that the DD15 has from 2017 to 2023 is the intake valves, guides and valve seats. Common issue is engine miss/rough running because no valve lash. The valves start sinking in the valve seat, most of the time you can hear it in the air cleaner intake-a repetitious low thumping caused by air pushed back into intake manifold. Detroit will cover it to 500,000 miles but it has to be documented the overheads have been adjusted twice in that time. It's a replacement cylinder head each time, and the usual mileage for this to take place is 400,000 to 460,000.

  6904. #6904BSAA65LB2023-06-19 09:07
  6905. #6905Truck Shop2023-06-19 14:44

    Pancake 220 Cummins in a bus.

  6906. #6906cfherrman2023-06-19 15:10

    That's pretty cool

  6907. #6907DMiller2023-06-19 18:06

    Stud Heads? Not seen that on a Cummins. old 220s we did with the Six Bolt heads got torqued with a 1" rattle Gun. Spec IIRC was 600#

  6908. #6908Truck Shop2023-06-19 19:58

    I've seen a few pancakes, all had studs instead of bolts. 500 is what I remember for torque. Plus note the block is different in the bottom end for sump.

  6909. #6909Pops522023-06-19 20:30

    My first trucking job from 68-73, we had all 743 ci cummins. The boss bought a bus that had been converted to a "party" bus. Pancake 220 with a 5 speed. Card table in the rear, bar, all the stuff. Seemed like the boss was under that thing every couple weeks doing something to the 220. And as I remember, 500# was what we torqued the head bolts to as I remember doing it on a regular basis with 8 trucks in the fleet. All with turbos except 1, the 54 freightliner I spent alot of time in. I can still describe each in detail.......

  6910. #6910Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:00

    262.

  6911. #6911Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:07

    1954-523 with a 262 and model 20 jakes. I sold a complete set of model 20 jakes a little over a year ago. All the parts including crossheads.

  6912. #6912Pops522023-06-19 21:21

    Yes all 262. Mostly T50s I think. 1 T-506, 2-590s & one of those had a water cooling line to it. Only one I ever saw.

  6913. #6913Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:24
  6914. #6914Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:27
  6915. #6915DMiller2023-06-19 21:30

    Another Lovely job unbolting that style pump off the side of the block in a Crane House or across a fixed hard fender as a KW or a Pete. Last one I saw was in a Fire Truck.

  6916. #6916Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:30

    Kenworth only built one of these, long since gone.

  6917. #6917Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:33

    Someone used a shop broom handle-screwed in your ass and shoved you down in and pulled you back out.

  6918. #6918DMiller2023-06-19 21:33

    Sweet!

  6919. #6919Truck Shop2023-06-19 21:35

    When I started-a old guy retiring told me that, I think he was telling the truth.

  6920. #6920petepilot2023-06-20 20:16

    I absolutely refuse to work under those conditions

  6921. #6921Truck Shop2023-06-20 21:12

    My day today, I drove the one pulling the four axle. Have to load and scale myself, the loader is a 980 Cat with worn out controls/mainly steering. Belongs to owner of the pit. The one part that is a little slow is exiting the pit the highway is 8% grade there for quite a ways then another series of 8 to 7%. Mine tare 35,000 was scaling close to 98K.

  6922. #6922Truck Shop2023-06-20 21:13
  6923. #6923BSAA65LB2023-06-21 08:27
  6924. #6924DMiller2023-06-21 17:26

    Keep at a steady rolling pace, trip doors and usually spreads pretty decent.

  6925. #6925skyking12023-06-21 18:27

    I love that country when the green is still on it.

  6926. #6926skyking12023-06-21 19:40

    35K tare is pretty amazing when you think that little Ford is ~25K.

  6927. #6927Truck Shop2023-06-21 21:43

    Those two extra axles and frame add a bunch. I cut the gross back to 91K, without a drop it's really only good to 88K. Ran five loads today 300 miles roughly, It's only a FLC 120 with a 435 N14 and a 10 speed, at 98K on those grades coming up from the river it was working it's ass off. The first 1/3 of a mile I can just grab 6th at 22 mph. But it runs ok and does the job.

  6928. #6928Truck Shop2023-06-21 21:49

    That area I'm hauling to has a very old nick name-{Sky Rockets}. The steepest farmed {dry land} wheat in the U.S. The deer, rabbits, doves, pheasants are thick. I bet I counted or saw 25 rooster pheasants today alone.

  6929. #6929Truck Shop2023-06-22 07:45

    Coaldust-earlier you were talking about hunting land along the river? The owners name Barker?

  6930. #6930Truck Shop2023-06-22 07:47

    About 6 mph.

  6931. #6931cfherrman2023-06-22 08:20

    Id take the truck

  6932. #6932Old Doug2023-06-22 08:31

    I under stand why quarries are down in holes but the one close to me has a very steep hill coming out of it. I needed to weigh yesterday its only 6 tons but i was about to spin out getting out of there . Town is 6 miles to weigh and this quarry is about 3 but i dont know if i will go there agin.

  6933. #6933skyking12023-06-22 09:12

    a little wheel hop and a broken axle takes all the fun out of it.

  6934. #6934BSAA65LB2023-06-22 09:44
  6935. #6935kshansen2023-06-22 14:48

    That 980 Is there a letter after the 980 or is it just a 980? The 980 with no following letter would have the V-8 that even when new at idle sounded like they were about to have parts coming out the side any minute!

  6936. #6936Truck Shop2023-06-22 20:45

    G.

  6937. #6937Truck Shop2023-06-22 20:51

    Counted no less that 24 doe's today and 2 bucks. And one Bull Snake at the pit. Cleaned up the pile at the Lyons Ferry pit so the rest will come from another pit closer to town, finish next week. And a photo of the worn out 980.

  6938. #6938Truck Shop2023-06-22 21:49

    Oh I forgot to add-no safety yellow or orange shirts worn this job. Standard Black attire. And none of those 64oz coffees either, no CB or music, no discussing types of rock or compaction. Zero talk all day.

  6939. #6939cfherrman2023-06-22 22:41

    Hell of a machine I'd take it.

  6940. #6940bccat2023-06-22 23:23

    Ran a 980g a couple of yrs, nice machine ,lots of hrs on her tho. But well looked after, It was a great improvement over the 980B I ran before

  6941. #6941Truck Shop2023-06-23 08:02

    You can have it!

  6942. #6942cfherrman2023-06-23 08:23

    Now just have to transport it here......

  6943. #6943Truck Shop2023-06-23 08:29
  6944. #6944kshansen2023-06-23 09:20

    A "G" so not that old relatively speaking, that being from a guy who worked on what would have been 980 "A's" if Cat had used that designation instead of only adding a "B" for second generation of a machine back then. Must be people like to back into stone piles and ripe off the rear steps, no bottom step on the rears. Also note the lack of paint on rear bumper/counter weight and the bent right rear hand rail. We had operators like that. Have to wonder what the belly pan looks like under the motor! If it's full of stone and dirt I'd be expecting the oil cooler lines to rust out and start leaking. Just had to check the "newest" 980 we had at the quarry when I retired was a 980K and that had over 4,000 hours on it in 2015! The oldest "G" we had at that time was just shy of 27,000 hours

  6945. #6945kshansen2023-06-23 09:41

    I worked on 980G's for around 16 years! As with any machine there are good points and other not so good points. Even when having two more or less identical machines the operators can have a large effect on what and how often something fails!

  6946. #6946Truck Shop2023-06-23 09:43

    This one IIRC was around 30,000 hours. It was a little unnerving when bucket was raised to top to get over that high sided belly dump and the steering would oscillate on it's own causing the bucket to twitch side to side quickly, apparently it has command steering, controls on steering wheel. Thanks for answering KS.

  6947. #6947stinky642023-06-23 11:02

    I'm all about the no talk, but no tunes??

  6948. #6948Truck Shop2023-06-23 12:07

    Wouldn't be able to hear it, too much back ground noise.

  6949. #6949Truck Shop2023-06-23 18:35

    1961 with a V12 stinker, Australian.

  6950. #6950Pops522023-06-23 19:25

    Never seen one of those! Different

  6951. #6951Truck Shop2023-06-23 21:48

    S model-Kenworth didn't build allot of them-forerunner of the T600-800. And no that ain't me.

  6952. #6952mowingman2023-06-24 08:46

    I saw one of those rigged up as a dump truck. This was way back in the late 70's, in northern Mississippi. It is the only one I had ever seen, until I saw these photos.

  6953. #6953Truck Shop2023-06-24 19:23

    A HEF members nice Star Logger. He did a nice job on it.

  6954. #6954BSAA65LB2023-06-26 08:25
  6955. #6955Truck Shop2023-06-26 21:26

    1.5 days left hauling rock, will have covered 1.1 miles of road. Plus already sold the BCIII I'm building to sell, sold before it's done.

  6956. #6956Truck Shop2023-06-27 21:31

    Well I was wrong I have a full day tomorrow, seems the farmer in the dell with neighboring field wants 10 loads spread on his adjacent road.

  6957. #6957Pops522023-06-27 21:51

    Enjoying retirement yet?

  6958. #6958Truck Shop2023-06-27 21:58

    Oh yeah, I had to set in the field and wait for 30 minutes for my friend to show up with his load and discuss what's next. While waiting, I shut the truck off------------------------ total silence except for the hawk circling above, then a coyote ran through the CRP in the distance. In a small valley, cell phones don't connect, zero people, just quiet. * First time that's happened in a long time.

  6959. #6959westerner2023-06-27 22:07

    That is what retirement is. Enjoy.

  6960. #6960BSAA65LB2023-06-28 08:55
  6961. #6961Truck Shop2023-06-28 20:04

    That's a nice looking old Corn Queen.

  6962. #6962Truck Shop2023-06-28 21:03

    Now for the last day-The road we were rocking he had done from the top of ridge down last year. The last 3/4 mile it gets steep about 12% but there is a turn around at the top. He wanted to go down the other side to a connecting road with the 5 loads to fill in washouts. Mind you this is a access road for smaller equipment like a Challenger, not semi trucks. Well we hauled 5 loads each. * From the 12% to top then 12% plus down to the access road, spread the first loads. Dwight tells me he's never gone to the top of access road with a truck. But there really is no alternative because the road is so curvy trying to back out was not a go. I went first because I dumped first. When I finally got to the steepest part of grade-I will take a guess 17% plus, loose powder. * At the top the view was incredible-the highest point in the Sky Rockets. From that spot I could see Mt Hood, Adams and Rainer, believe it or not. I was astounded, the road is kept locked so very few have been there through the years. Now for the fun part. * Dropping down from the top is---well fun, steeper that the climb up. I don't even know what to guess. Empty-4th gear jake on drives trying to slide so used hand valve. We hauled 4 more loads in there-fun times.

  6963. #6963Truck Shop2023-06-29 10:14

    I am going to make a special trip back to the top of that ridge to take some photo's.

  6964. #6964BSAA65LB2023-06-29 20:41
  6965. #6965Truck Shop2023-06-30 20:08

    A few I photo'd today at a Real Clean farm, McConnel farms a bunch of ground. A total of 5 combines, and 5 grain wagons. *

  6966. #6966Truck Shop2023-06-30 20:10
  6967. #6967Truck Shop2023-06-30 20:15

    And a Chevy with a real straight body-31,000 miles on it, and ruff jail bar grille Ford 46-47, with wheat stacks on the V-8 flathead. In the area we graveled roads, belongs to Dwight. *

  6968. #6968Truck Shop2023-07-01 15:57

    Dwight finishing up last load of rock at a washout a mile back. The dark green in back ground is spring wheat, the light green is dried peas, the gold winter wheat. *

  6969. #6969Truck Shop2023-07-01 17:54
  6970. #697092U 34062023-07-02 12:22

    Those Case Quadtracs are bada$$! That little 12.9L is pushing 680 HP in the largest model. Just nuts how much horsepower they can squeeze out of an engine these days.

  6971. #6971Truck Shop2023-07-02 17:42

    Those do put out some power, although some wheat farmers around here won't have them on their ground-saying to much soil compaction with a no till drill. Don't really know if that's true or not, The Challenger 85 is real popular.

  6972. #6972Truck Shop2023-07-04 01:14
  6973. #697356wrench2023-07-04 09:31

    That sure seems like a lame idea. Lots of potential issues with water or mud?

  6974. #6974mowingman2023-07-04 09:49

    When I moved to Texas, in 1977, there was a large trucking company located near Dallas that had belt drive trucks. I don't remember the name, but they had a big fleet of Kenworths, I think, with that belt drive system. It might have been Merchants Express, but I just can not remember.

  6975. #6975renovator2023-07-04 19:32

    I was working for a large electrical contractor in the late 70s, that picked up a ten-wheel bucket truck at an auction that had that belt drive. I believe the truck came from somewhere in the midwest.

  6976. #6976petepilot2023-07-04 20:46

    This post is a mistake that won't go away

  6977. #6977Truck Shop2023-07-04 21:26

    Your right--Dwight and I plan on dragging it out make it run and stop, but leave the paint alone.

  6978. #6978Old Doug2023-07-05 09:07

    I dont think you could get a true answer to this ??? because there are not to many guys around that were alive back then. The Chevy trucks are every were you hardly ever see a Ford and never a Dodge from the 40s to the 50s. I think the Dodge engine was good but maybe lack of dealers . One thing that i heard hurt Ford in truck sells was the V8 engine they pushed it and it was to new fangled for old farmers. Was the Chevy that much better or cheaper?

  6979. #6979Birken Vogt2023-07-05 10:09

    Look up youtube channel "Adventures Made From Scratch" over in central Kansas, he is a scrapper and drags a lot of Fords and Dodges out of the weeds but I never counted to compare the number to Chevy/GMC.

  6980. #6980Old Doug2023-07-05 10:55

    I watch him he is ok. He got ran over by a Chevy when he was younger he dosent like them . I think He also gos after the more rare stuff . If you watch it you will see he gets alot more Chevys in .

  6981. #6981Truck Shop2023-07-05 15:14

    There are some Fords & Dodges around here, the ATHS show here in town always has some. I think one big reason the Chevy's get attention/restored is most everything can be had for body & interior parts/pieces, and there are some Ford resto parts. But old dodge trucks 1 1/2 ton not so much.

  6982. #6982Old Doug2023-07-05 16:34

    I am talking about the ones setting in fence rows junkyards and barns. What was more popular back when they were in use. Dads friend owned the local quarry i can remember setting in the office watching the trucks being weighed almost all chevys . The only time you saw a Ford,Dodge or IH was a state truck or city truck.

  6983. #6983Truck Shop2023-07-05 19:06

    Internationals were the most common around here, then Ford and Chevy followed, Dodge last.

  6984. #6984cfherrman2023-07-05 19:59

    The reason you see more Chevys in fence rows is because the fords are still driving around.

  6985. #6985petepilot2023-07-05 22:52

    Let me explain .my post was the mistake I hit the reply button and could only post to clear it

  6986. #6986Old Doug2023-07-06 08:19

    You dont see Ford or Dodge any were.

  6987. #6987crane operator2023-07-08 11:34

    1956 White

  6988. #6988ps66x42023-07-08 12:03

    That 56 White look good in my front yard

  6989. #6989DMiller2023-07-08 17:14

    A yard up at MO19 to US54 Martinsburg MO is K&A Trailer Sales, they have a old Corn Queen SA sitting and undrivable, called and asked if could be bought said No Title, was a repair job the owner died and his widow will not sell. Either a K or KB. One of these days will get up there and photo it.

  6990. #6990Truck Shop2023-07-09 08:32

    The 3000.

  6991. #6991Truck Shop2023-07-10 19:56

    Nice A model except for the chicken littles. *

  6992. #6992Pops522023-07-10 20:13

    And the dual everything else. But that’s just one old geezers opinion.

  6993. #6993Truck Shop2023-07-10 21:18

    Post war West Coast IH with three man cab. *

  6994. #6994mks2023-07-10 22:33

    Tad bit embarrassed. What are the chicken littles?

  6995. #6995Truck Shop2023-07-11 09:19

    Chicken sticks-guide sticks on bumper.

  6996. #6996BSAA65LB2023-07-11 21:11

    1934, Newcomerstown , OH

  6997. #6997Old Doug2023-07-12 07:45

    I drug this GMC out of a barn it has a 6.71 Detroit . It looked ok at first i got it for junk and it has alot of problems i may try to start it. I have to go back there to day there is a pup van trailer i am getting . It has trees growing in front of it and its beside a building. I will have to slide it sideways then hook on to it. I hope the jacks work. This will about wrap this job up i hope.

  6998. #6998kshansen2023-07-12 10:48

    Well if you have any reason to want that 6-71 to run more than once I would do one of two thing before trying to fire it up. First would be to check that the emergency shut down flapper is free and works. If that is not an easy option I would remove the intake piping from the blower and have a plate of steel to cover the intake if it starts to runaway when stated. Make sure fingers are not in the way while doing that!

  6999. #6999Old Doug2023-07-12 18:31

    This is the forth truck i have owned with a Detroit . The last one had a v6 92 it had 5 stuck injectors . I tried to start it in the barn the cable on the emergency shut down was stuck and the engines back half is under the cab . I pull the intake hose off the blower so i could smother it out but it would just run on starting fluid for a short time. I am going to try and start it mainly to move it around till i cut it up. We had a truck like it at the shop to use around the yard it was a 6-71 with a direct 15 speed . It would pull anything it was a long hood . It had air assist steering that wasnt good for a yard truck.

  7000. #7000Old Doug2023-07-12 18:37

    i went to try to move the trailer early today. I winched the back over a few feet but the landing gear was sunk down and its in a tight spot. I ended up going back with a Rail Road jack and raising the front but it rained so i will have to weight till it drys up to go back. I will be very glade when this is over.

  7001. #7001skyking12023-07-12 19:10

    That thing looks like it was told to go stand in a corner.

  7002. #7002Truck Shop2023-07-12 19:29

    Why would all that be necessary?

  7003. #7003DMiller2023-07-12 20:52

    Had to pickup Bark Mulch from local Sawmill. They produce white oak barrel staves for cooperage into whiskey wine or other liquids barrels. Loader is a L110H, ten yard ‘scoop’. Two buckets around 5800lbs for a client in Hannibal Mo. stave blanks are allowed to dry age for two years before barrel making, the kils are impressively large. Did not get a shot of the log yard, was told they keep around ten acres of piles of logs kept wet with large sprinkler systems. Can run over two hundred logs a day thru this mill, one of three in MO. Salem, Lebanon, New Florence.

  7004. #7004skyking12023-07-12 20:58

    Not seeing any old trucks in those pictures.

  7005. #7005Truck Shop2023-07-12 21:53
  7006. #7006Truck Shop2023-07-12 21:55

    White also had the Flapjack and Waffle series too.

  7007. #7007Old Doug2023-07-13 07:46

    This is i think the first one i tried to start without pulling the valve cover to make sure the injecters were not stuck in the wide open position . Why do they stick they have diesel in them and are covered with a black oily tar? The 6V 92 i pulled them out and had to tap on the racks i thought it mit be the end of them but it didnt seem to hurt them.

  7008. #7008kshansen2023-07-13 09:50

    Well if that engine was setting a long time and had any moisture in the fuel one or more of the injectors might be stuck and the governor might not have the power to back it off when engine starts. RPM's can get real high real fast!

  7009. #700956wrench2023-07-13 10:04

    I had never heard of the White Pancake 12. Having one of them on a display stand would be a feature attraction in a man cave

  7010. #7010Truck Shop2023-07-13 12:16

    That's the fun part!

  7011. #7011Truck Shop2023-07-13 12:18

    I've seen one-rusted setting on a pallet.

  7012. #7012Old Doug2023-07-13 12:23

    They should have fixed it so it would have went to a ideal when it shut down instead of wide open. I worked on hundreds of them when i was younger it didnt matter if it had sat over night or a month never liked when they first started up.

  7013. #7013kshansen2023-07-13 19:44

    Well maybe I should confess to a dumb mistake here. One time probably 30+ years back I was swapping injectors in a 12V-71 in an Euclid 74TD. Got them all installed and went through the valve and injector settings and fired it up. Problem is I had somehow failed to notice that I had the shut-down cable pulled out when I set the racks. As You can imagine when I hit the starter it took off fast. Two things saved the day. #1 fast reactions by me and #2 that the emergency shut down cable was not rusted and the flapper did it's job. A quick resetting of the racks and it was good to go!

  7014. #7014Truck Shop2023-07-13 20:05

    A guy I knew years ago-he worked for Emerson Diesel Seattle {Detroit dealer in those days}. He was working the generator houses on the Alaska pipeline, he told me he forgot to lock out the 16-71 he was adjusting injectors and valves on, {It suddenly came on line} he said it was a good thing he locked his vise grips on it-It took allot to shut it down inside that small gen house-he was covered in oil, about choked to death he said from the smoke.

  7015. #7015Truck Shop2023-07-14 21:02

    Pew-what a joke, It also snows every July in Phoenix. *

  7016. #7016Pops522023-07-15 00:02

    And then enter Cummins 335. They all ran for the drilling rigs to hide in the draw works and mud pumps…….

  7017. #7017Old Doug2023-07-15 19:11

    I went and got the old trailer that was part of clean up. I ended up pulling the front end around then winching it up on the truck. I for got to take any oil for the hubs but the barn had all kinds of old empty oil jugs . I got about 3/4 of a quart of oil that helped put a little in the hubs. One hub was missing its cap i stuffed a oil cap in it . I tried airing a flat tire but it had a big cut. It was about 11 mile trip all gravel i went slow and was glade when my drive way came in to view.

  7018. #7018Old Doug2023-07-16 21:57

    There is some stuff in the trailer and i am getting ready to haul another load to the trash place so before it got to hot i backed my f600 up to it . I ran across some RV stuff then found a trans tailshaft housing i am thinking add on overdrive . I got to the front of the trailer and there is one in a pile. It is all apart. It was getting very hot in there and the dust was getting to me i didnt get to see what brand OD it was but i wanted one bad and have worked on some so i know its a OD but thats it so far.

  7019. #7019Old Doug2023-07-18 07:38

    Not a great picture but this is a add on Overdrive basket case i steal dont know what brand it is . Its hot and dusty in the trailer i may weight till fall to finish cleaning it out. I will never understand farmers they dont seem to care or maybe they like mice. At one time there was seed or feed stored in this trailer . If you dont know anytime you store feed or seed in bags mice will take over there is no getting around it. A few mice would have gotten in the trailer any way but give them all they can eat and this will ramp the problem up to were every thing will need to be throwed away.

  7020. #7020BSAA65LB2023-07-18 09:37
  7021. #7021Truck Shop2023-07-18 14:46

    A limited built Diamond T 951 with construction fenders.

  7022. #7022Coaldust2023-07-18 16:13

    You might recall the Shanghai Shivers took me out for about 9 months in 21. One of the lasting problems I have is recalling names. It’s like I burnt my address book. I can recall every torque spec on a Cat 3306 and most of the specs by memory. Lol. I still can’t recall names without great pain. Barker does sound familiar. Wonderful family. He’s gotta be getting up there in age. I wonder if his daughter is going to take over the operation? It’s at least a three generation farm. His Dad owned the land and lost much of it when the dams went it.

  7023. #7023Truck Shop2023-07-18 18:58

    He also has three gravel pits, bunch of side dumps. He makes a ton of money selling Basalt columns for decretive construction {homes and so on to 1%ers}. Loads go out each day headed across the country.

  7024. #7024DMiller2023-07-18 20:18

    Man that hits a nerve with me, I have lost names of people I dealt with some for over forty years. Meet up with them and takes half an hour before that braincell fires. All after the Wuhan Flu.

  7025. #7025Truck Shop2023-07-19 18:56

    A Miller special-located near Spud in Billings, RSH puller.

  7026. #7026Pops522023-07-19 19:41

    That paint scheme makes it look fast!

  7027. #7027Truck Shop2023-07-19 19:45

    You just know it was a rocket ship.

  7028. #7028mekanik2023-07-19 19:56

    The person that bought it new was probably very proud of it.

  7029. #7029Pops522023-07-19 20:00

    I could have enjoyed pulling a moving van across the US with that! But not for long. I think I lived in the best times for trucking born in 52.

  7030. #7030Truck Shop2023-07-19 20:51

    There were several things I bought new, one was a chevy corsica. I was proud of it. 11 months later it was gone thank goodness.

  7031. #7031DMiller2023-07-20 07:04

    DAMN, NOPE!!!

  7032. #7032DMiller2023-07-20 07:05

    Was proud of the 79 K100 until wasn’t

  7033. #7033Truck Shop2023-07-21 07:34

    Wheat is running thin this year, most of what I hauled yesterday only 83 bushel, cutting at a pretty fast ground speed. Hot and dusty as can be, 105*. Interesting though bouncing between three different trucks, one the 86 FLC has some real tall gearing. 3.36's with a overdrive 15, will run 55 in 8th on the high side with 2 gears left, haven't used those. A truck trailer 82 4300 with a 13spd real good truck, and the 98 Freightliner with N14 and 10 spd. Just pulling out of the fields on these farm roads is some steep ground.

  7034. #7034DMiller2023-07-21 15:08

    Man our region is hurt, wheat came in good, close to 90b, Corn and beans have suffered under extreme dry where may make only 2/3 normal harvest.

  7035. #7035Coaldust2023-07-21 19:49

    Thumbs up not because of the weak harvest, but because I appreciate the report from the field.

  7036. #7036Truck Shop2023-07-21 22:40

    Well today the bushel went up, the east side of some hills about 75 to 80, west side all day today ran 95 plus. I knew something was up because no wait time, pull truck into line up move my stuff {food water] to loaded and haul ***. Made eight loads today 24 miles one way. Only wait time was at elevator. His son is running the bank-out wagon so he rolls the tarp over and starts it to let the A/C cool it down. Plus I had to stop a fuel all three, time. Back there at 6:30 am.

  7037. #7037Truck Shop2023-07-22 07:15

    Fun thing about it-once out of the field it's all down hill to Starbuck, then run along the river to Lyons Ferry elevator.

  7038. #7038Truck Shop2023-07-22 22:00

    Moved the loading area closer to cutting. Some steep *** road, the property he leased has been in CRP for years. No as far as his dad knows and he's 70 has ever run a 40' grain trailer over the last stretch of road we're on. They always exited the 2.5 mile road in. 4 hairpin corners I was just able to make. Anyway another 7 loads today. Where we are staging the trucks for loading is at the top of a very elevated hill. There is a drop off to a hidden valley, the wildlife is thick including a herd of Elk. A few pics from Thursday, and my stepdaughter bought me a new camera, she died laughing at the old one.

  7039. #7039Truck Shop2023-07-22 22:17

    Didn't load right, fix it tomorrow.

  7040. #7040Camshawn2023-07-22 22:34

    I clicked on each icon and a picture opens in a new window. Nice. Cam

  7041. #7041ps66x42023-07-23 07:34

    Clicking on them works for me too just as Camshawn says.

  7042. #7042DMiller2023-07-23 08:11

    Can still click on and see them, not much concern TS. Hillside Combines are not much of a thing around here, not steep enough but cool to see.

  7043. #704356wrench2023-07-23 10:37

    I remember when Deere first came out with the sidehill models in the mid 70’s. A 6600 i think.

  7044. #7044Birken Vogt2023-07-23 11:02

    How did they harvest on the Palouse before that?

  7045. #7045Truck Shop2023-07-23 12:56

    Hillside Deere 36B. Leveled on one side with rack/pinion. *

  7046. #7046Truck Shop2023-07-23 13:01

    All the bines were leveling going back to 33 mule/horse drawn, but mules were preferred. *

  7047. #7047Truck Shop2023-07-23 13:07

    That isn't even tilted near max, that hillside at that angle is deceiving. Monday I hope to have some photos of maxed out and still listing slightly, the ground he's cutting now is real steep. I'll get a max and post it Monday.

  7048. #7048Birken Vogt2023-07-23 13:10

    Maybe that is why they liked crawlers up there. When it looks steep in a photo you know it is really steep. They used to like crawlers in the valley down here too even though it is dead flat. Maybe because they were developed here.

  7049. #7049Truck Shop2023-07-23 13:15

    Crawlers were developed there----but what made Caterpillar and other brands was the Palouse. The Palouse proved the idea of the crawler tractor-Basically Caterpillar was born in the Palouse by Best and Holt. There were more D4, D5 and D6 crawlers sold here than anywhere on the planet.

  7050. #7050Birken Vogt2023-07-23 13:20

    I guess so, and another main use of them was in logging. There was a lot of that in these hills back in the day. My grandfather was in a monthly picture on the Cat calendar skidding logs. He was looking back at the drag when they were taking the pictures and they told him to look ahead, the picture was to be of the tractor not of him. He would get on our case if we were not always having eyes looking back at whatever we were doing with a tractor so as not to tear stuff up.

  7051. #7051Truck Shop2023-07-23 16:23

    I have a bunch of Cat, Best crawler used in logging photos. Olden days below. *

  7052. #7052Truck Shop2023-07-23 16:24
  7053. #7053Truck Shop2023-07-23 19:55
  7054. #7054Truck Shop2023-07-23 19:58

    Test

  7055. #7055Camshawn2023-07-23 21:28

    TS, I have had issues with pictures that are larger than 5 mb. I found it is easier to always downsize below 5mb whether I am posting, texting, or e-mailing them. Cam

  7056. #7056Birken Vogt2023-07-23 21:35

    How many photos do you have on all these subjects and where do you keep them all? Where did they come from?

  7057. #7057Truck Shop2023-07-23 21:50

    I have roughly three thousand plus photos in folders. I scan university libraries, looking for misplaced photos, one category at a time.

  7058. #7058Labparamour2023-07-24 14:49

    UW has an amazing collection of digitized old photos.

  7059. #7059BSAA65LB2023-07-24 20:36
  7060. #7060Pops522023-07-24 21:22

    Here's a harvester. 1970 model, 335, 13sp. 2 axle with a joe-dog. A load of baled newspaper I took to LuberFiner in LA in 73/74. I found out they shredded the newspaper and packed it into their LF-750s and probably more filters....

  7061. #7061Truck Shop2023-07-24 21:51

    Richard Petty Dodge 1000.

  7062. #7062Truck Shop2023-07-24 21:52

    Been through most of their stuff.

  7063. #7063Truck Shop2023-07-24 21:55

    Test-cut the pixels-have four levels on this camera. *

  7064. #7064Labparamour2023-07-24 22:12

    Using my phone to surf I see this. I can click on the icon and then see the photos. (Not sure if just my phone…)

  7065. #7065Truck Shop2023-07-24 22:14

    I have to resize the photos.

  7066. #7066renovator2023-07-25 20:37

    I drove an ugly version of that truck in the late 70s, early 80s. It was short wheelbase with a short hood, Dayton rims, 318 Detroit, and a 13 speed. That ugly old dog ran like a noisy demon and certainly did what the company deed.

  7067. #7067Truck Shop2023-07-26 21:52

    Not sure, I think this is a late 30's model 730 or 731. Trivia-White came out in 1935 with it's own V12 gas engine called the 10-AB. *

  7068. #7068Pops522023-07-26 22:29

    There was a version uglier than that?

  7069. #7069Truck Shop2023-07-27 07:45

    Construction company I worked for had a 1968 short hood Emery like that.

  7070. #7070Truck Shop2023-07-29 20:57

    todays photos. the dead zone for old combines and windmills. The area of those trees were full of deer.

  7071. #7071Truck Shop2023-07-29 21:37

    That old FLC I'm driving-harvest has about ten days left, and that's just about how long that 12515 gearbox is going last, It has three Howler Monkeys inside, loose as a goose. * Nice fender flopper.

  7072. #7072Truck Shop2023-07-30 18:37

    1930's Consolidated converted conventional shop built. *

  7073. #7073renovator2023-07-30 19:48

    Yes, and I drove it.

  7074. #7074Pops522023-07-30 20:58

    Ha! The guy that bought that 70 model new had owned one of those early 60s short hoods with one of those 265 hp Cummins v-8s. 555? I think. Was putting head gaskets on monthly as I recall. He was happy once he got the 335. Shoulda got a power passenger window too.

  7075. #7075Truck Shop2023-07-31 22:08

    While setting in total silence waiting for the bankout wagon to bring a finishing load of dried peas I was buzzed. Two of these real low about 400' & moving fast. Didn't have time to get camera. *

  7076. #7076Hank R2023-07-31 22:23

    Were they heading east to Mosses Lake?

  7077. #7077skyking12023-07-31 23:46

    They hoon around in pairs all over doing training. They look really mondo @400~800 AGL The last time I saw them up by Lake Roosevelt.

  7078. #7078Truck Shop2023-08-01 08:05

    I would expect Fairchild.

  7079. #7079Truck Shop2023-08-01 08:55
  7080. #708056wrench2023-08-01 09:39

    I’m pretty sure the guy driving that had dirty underwear at some point before he was back on top

  7081. #7081stinky642023-08-01 10:31

    That happened to an old timer CF driver hanging from the pin in an old worn out Freightliner cabover day cab over the Blue Water bridge that spans the Niagara River gorge between Niagara Falls NY and N.F Ontario.(pretty friggin' scary high) Then to add another pucker factor the one cab latch that was actually locked popped open and the poor ba$tard was then left swinging upside down from the cab pivot mounts. Old boy retired that day.

  7082. #7082Truck Shop2023-08-01 17:29

    Thing about that photo that's worth pointing out--If that happened in todays world he never would have made it. A extra 175 lbs and a belly full of roller dogs would have done him in as the rope slipped through his figures.

  7083. #7083cfherrman2023-08-03 00:31

    Been meaning to post a pic of big buck since you guys were talking about wreckers. Phillipsburg ks

  7084. #7084Truck Shop2023-08-03 07:43

    Looks like someone removed Bucks booms.

  7085. #7085Oxbow2023-08-03 08:20

    They've come a long way from the 55H of my youth!

  7086. #7086DMiller2023-08-04 16:02

    Astro as GMC, and noticed that too TS, NO Booms. That IH appears to be JYs service truck to be he has at the yard, or a exact twin!!

  7087. #7087Truck Shop2023-08-05 07:06

    Took all of 1.5 days for the neighboring land owners cutting crew to destroy the 2.5 miles of road we rocked a month and a half ago. Five trucks with crack heads for drivers, trying to drive 35 plus up a gravel road that is a steady uphill. Wheel hopped, rutted, going through corners fast enough it's pushed gravel over to edge, deep washboard for 2.5 miles. Poor trucks & trailers just getting the **** beat out of them. I was coming out with a load on yesterday a truck coming towards me, instead of just slowing down and pulling to the side to let me pass on a one lane road he just put the right side in the ditch, bouncing around in the cab like a ping pong ball, looked like his head hit the roof a couple of times. * Nuts.

  7088. #7088ps66x42023-08-05 07:33

    I get that here, mostly UPS and Fed Ex. I put a swayal half way down to control the rain water, one day I seen the Fed Ex doing about 40, his packages must of flew off the shelves. Now most people go slow.

  7089. #7089DMiller2023-08-05 08:32

    Sad to say more herders than drivers even here. My last loads out of the pit in Rosebud the haul road was slick wet and mush with creek rock rolled in. Corn queen I was in only had power divider another of ours has PD and Lockers. I started to spin coming out so backed up for a slight starting run, low gear PD locked and just feathering throttle to keep moving. Other kid was wheel hopping so bad loader operator made him stop so could grade a little, still had to pull him out. Really sad bunch behind the wheel these days.

  7090. #7090DMiller2023-08-05 09:30

    Double post

  7091. #7091JaredV2023-08-05 12:45

    It only takes one to start the washboard. I tell the new guys I'd rather go slow and smooth all the time than fast and smooth for a little while and slow and bumpy the rest of the time.

  7092. #7092Truck Shop2023-08-05 21:48

    Good thing is--he owns a old 14E to straighten the mess.

  7093. #7093Truck Shop2023-08-08 19:06

    The color photo I took about 6 to 7 years ago. The serial number on this rig is 85US-1001. Mack only built one of these-this one. Was owned by Montecito Ca. FD. Then this black and white showed up today.

  7094. #7094BSAA65LB2023-08-09 09:20
  7095. #7095skyking12023-08-09 11:12

    Nice photo. I saw that sort of thing in your stomping grounds. Mom and I were taking somebody home to Ellensburg from Yakima on a bad snow day and the road over the top was closed. We preferred the canyon anyway. We came over the top at Wymer grade and found a flatbed load jackknifed through the guardrail at the first corner. We had just enough room to skinny by in the little Datsun on the right. https://goo.gl/maps/7J9uuaZPokh1m7Fz5 Right where the 821 highway label is on that curve. The trailer was all on the road and maybe both steers, I am not sure. All the left side drivers were in the air. It had just happened and he was still in the cab when we went by. I suspect that the guardrail posts are why he survived the day. There was another in the ditch, and up by the farms in the north end a tanker was going way too fast and cut a furrow in the snow as he slid on the side way off the road. I recall some axles scattered around like lincoln logs.

  7096. #7096Birken Vogt2023-08-10 09:02

    Just discovered this channel with some nice old videos of dirt construction with trucks and tractors just as they used to be.

  7097. #7097Pops522023-08-10 15:28

    Birken, I believe that red & white Pete at the start of that video originally belonged to a tanker outfit I drove for on the central coast. They sold off several with that paint scheme in the 80s.

  7098. #7098BSAA65LB2023-08-10 20:41

    1934 GMC

  7099. #7099crane operator2023-08-11 07:38

    1973 kw, $15,000 Kind of a hacked up frame, but I'm probably not the buyer. From the ad: 1973 Kenworth W900A 1693TA 425 HP 13 speed trans. Eaton 44000 2 speed rear ends, walking beam suspension, hydraulic power steering, AC, 505 ratio in low, 370 ratio on the high side, cab n hood excellent shape, new rods and main bearings 2500 miles ago, all original, except the frame length. Needs tires, starts easily and moves. This truck would make an excellent show truck refinished. More questions, feel free to call

  7100. #7100Truck Shop2023-08-11 09:14

    About a $6,000 tractor, frame could be saved with AG400 installed. But that old Cat is one expensive engine to repair. Probably has a early gear box too. So jack the radiator cap and drive a new truck under it.

  7101. #7101Crummy2023-08-11 09:32

    My fall/winter project. The box is going on the '67. I'm thinking put it together as a tractor, pull the cab work on it in the shop, give Holst a call for a skeleton 18/20k front 46k Chalmers/Primaxx, 18sp....

  7102. #7102Truck Shop2023-08-11 09:53

    Be careful with holst.

  7103. #710356wrench2023-08-11 10:21

    Does the frame on that ‘73 have a slight sag in it or is it an illusion?

  7104. #7104Crummy2023-08-11 10:43

    I'm hoping something turns up private sale, I'm in no hurry. Somewhere someone has what I can use with a squashed cab sitting behind the shop.

  7105. #7105DMiller2023-08-11 14:09

    Post that to JY in a PM, he is still looking for similar!!

  7106. #7106Truck Shop2023-08-11 20:53

    A friend has something like that, it was rolled. He bought it for the dump box and cylinder. 1998 T800-N14, had a 10 speed-broke the bell when it rolled, was spec'd as a dump. I'll have to look at it again because I think the rails are damaged. Cab and hood are junk.

  7107. #7107BSAA65LB2023-08-11 21:00

    when men were men and sheep were terrified!

  7108. #7108crane operator2023-08-11 21:06

    Yeah, its been abused. Passenger side looks worse than the drivers side, but I don't think either one is real straight.

  7109. #7109Truck Shop2023-08-11 21:28

    A Missouri one and only-centerline marker. *

  7110. #7110crane operator2023-08-11 21:52

    Is that the narrow wheelbase one so you can get passed on either side? MoDot boys don't carry a spare with them today either. They ain't changing a tire on the side of the road.

  7111. #7111DMiller2023-08-12 10:24

    IIRC there was consideration to be able to steer differently much as a Motor Grader. MODOT website USED to have descriptors for old photos, that was removed on last few years.

  7112. #7112crane operator2023-08-12 19:14

    1974 diamond reo for $10,000? Big cam 350 and 9 speed. Supposedly been hauling a lowboy with it.

  7113. #7113Pony2023-08-12 21:10

    That's a cool looking old truck.

  7114. #7114Truck Shop2023-08-12 21:26

    Someone removed the round quad headlights, it just doesn't look right. Needs the frame lengthened about 6'. Other than that not a bad Diamond REO.

  7115. #7115Pony2023-08-13 07:28

    Maybe it's just cause I've never seen one before, but I just googled it and I reckon the one above actually looks better then the quad lights.

  7116. #7116Truck Shop2023-08-13 07:33
  7117. #7117Pony2023-08-13 08:21

    Yeah alright, your sketch makes it look good. The photos I found on google were only day cab, maybe the sleeper helps the quad lights? Let's just stick with my original comment. Cool old truck.

  7118. #7118Oxbow2023-08-13 11:29

    You won't be first in line for a rolling chassis with those specs!

  7119. #7119Oxbow2023-08-13 11:31

    I have purchased a number of items including transmissions that they have checked out and sold. No problems so far.

  7120. #7120DMiller2023-08-13 11:56

    Are Pete Singles mounted on it, NOT Diamond base design. Odd looking and actually too weird for me. Would not be too difficult to restore to quad buckets.

  7121. #7121Oxbow2023-08-13 12:03

    @Truck Shop , I have been meaning to dig these out for a while now. 1956 Pete that was built into a wrecker. BC I with 10 speed and 3 speed brownie. Hydraulicly driven Holmes 850 with electric over air controls. Shop made hydraulic extendable boom. Hydraulic blade on the back. This was built in the early 80s. During the build: Somewhere I have photos of the completed product, but can't place them right now.

  7122. #7122Oxbow2023-08-13 12:08

    This is what happens when you pull into Barton's Club 93 in Jackpot, forget to set your brakes, ang go in to eat. The truck ended up across the highway and into one of the ground level rooms that was lower than the parking lot at Cactus Petes. Here is part of the wrecker getting ready to extract it:

  7123. #7123DMiller2023-08-13 12:13

    OOOPSIE!!!!

  7124. #7124Truck Shop2023-08-13 18:19

    About ten years ago when Tom sold out he spec'd five glider Coronado's with ten speeds, which turned out a dud and was told so by none other than me before he did it. The new owner decided to have Gayle and I swap them out for 13 spds, because he lived in Idaho he bought five 13 spd's from holst. He brought them up, I took one look and told him before we install anything I'm going to pull the shift bar housings and check each one--the reason for that is I could see they used nothing but clear silicone for gaskets including the rear section which is a absolute no-can-do. There has to be a oem thickness gasket between rear section and front section. The counter shafts in the rear section are set-up with a preload using a .100 thick base shim to figure proper shimming, that's figured with a gasket installed, without it you can't set proper preload. Basically I ended up tearing each one down, inspecting plus doing a minor rebuild, two didn't even have the snap rings installed to hold lower reverse idler shaft. Tom and the new owner were both pi$$ed off that I tore them apart and did what I did. But you know the least mileage any of those boxes ran was 600,000, one made it 920,000. And you know what else neither Tom or Ray had the balls to admit I was right and they were wrong, typical of every owner I worked for. They both wanted to replace me but couldn't stand the fact they knew they couldn't find another. They could have but it would have cost them.

  7125. #7125skyking12023-08-13 19:19

    you saved them a lot of metal shavings and misery.

  7126. #7126BSAA65LB2023-08-15 21:20
  7127. #7127Truck Shop2023-08-15 21:35

    Semaphore--corn cob signal.

  7128. #7128DMiller2023-08-16 06:00

    Amazing what was considered state of the art for a simple Turn Signal!

  7129. #7129kshansen2023-08-16 09:46

    When I was a kid neighbor had a car might have been a Fiat with those!

  7130. #7130petepilot2023-08-18 02:00

    vw`s had something similar

  7131. #7131Truck Shop2023-08-18 07:36

    Till 1957.

  7132. #7132Truck Shop2023-08-18 07:57

    Finished late yesterday with the grain harvest, went well with only a few small break downs on the combine, zero truck issues.

  7133. #7133Truck Shop2023-08-18 08:43

    Year 1979. *

  7134. #7134DMiller2023-08-18 08:59

    Out of the first twenty, believe Ryder & ABF the only remaining

  7135. #7135stinky642023-08-18 10:01

    Remember a very similar list up on the bulletin board at CF, seems like every year we scratched a couple of companies. That list was before my time, I never remember Big R being at the top of the food chain.

  7136. #7136Birken Vogt2023-08-18 11:32

    I believe you could count Overnite as still remaining, they were bought by UPS and later sold and now Tforce but I don't think they ever failed or folded.

  7137. #7137IceHole2023-08-18 13:35

    Woof! When I was going through school for my actual CDL (had been driving for years before between the USAF and farm use) we stopped at the port to stretch legs, smoke, ****, etc. Was middle of winter, so just set the tractor brakes. I'm standing 50ft from the truck and I swear I see it move. I barely had enough time to run out to it, open the door and dynamite the trailer brakes before it would have went off the dock into the water. Somehow the truck brakes would pass the brake test fine, but were actually way out of adjustment so parking brake was barely holding. Was on a W900 studio sleeper. Nice truck. 600? (maybe 550, been a while) Cummins, 18 speed.

  7138. #7138ps66x42023-08-18 18:02

    Some 40 years ago I was in my late 20s early 30s and was placing and finishing concrete in a building, I empty a load and I look for the next load and the mixer is parked some 300' up a 3 percent grade and the old timer, really good guy, was by the coffee wagon shooting the breeze having coffee. So I mozzie up to the mixer, get in Cab and take off the parking brake and start rolling. The driver saw his truck moving, he had an expression on his face that wasn't good then he realized someone was in it. I took it to him and got out. Never in my life did I do something like that again. I felt bad but I know he felt worst when he saw his truck rolling.

  7139. #7139Truck Shop2023-08-18 19:11

    One major item that constantly overlooked during a service or inspection is the parking brake chambers. Very few shops remove the anchor port plug and check the release bolt anchor is lined up with the caging bolt port. If it isn't more than likely a section of park brake spring is broken. Sometimes the anchor will roll when broke and push the rubber plug out. That is one problem with autoslacks, causes driver or mechanic to overlook the chambers, if parking brake chamber is broke you have no park brakes, even on air disc brakes. * On average of the 120 refer trailers and 65 tractors I would replace at least 2 chambers {piggy- backs} a week, sometimes 5 or 6. During the winter months is when those chambers go haywire, water gets in the chamber freezes the air is applied to release and the spring breaks. Every service the plugs were removed and brake chambers checked, no if's, and's or but's. * My favorite is someone hooking to a trailer and it rolls away from the fifth wheel, and they wonder why. In a emergency those brake chamber springs are the only thing between you and disaster. * It's not all about being a hotshot with a scan tool to hook to that tier 4. If it can't stop it doesn't matter that it runs, it's a wreck waiting to happen.

  7140. #7140BSAA65LB2023-08-18 20:18
  7141. #7141Truck Shop2023-08-18 20:54

    Dodge only built a little over 1,500 big horns. A guy I knew had one that was setup as a logger. I drove it-was not impressed, had a terrible turning radius IMO, and the dash was-well a two ton improvisation. It was not all that quiet.

  7142. #7142IceHole2023-08-18 22:06

    I had my C30 Chevy dump truck roll off. I was at the till at the gas station paying for my snacks. There's a window behind the counter and I see movement, and my truck slowly rolling backward. By the time I ran out there it had rolled into a bollard that used to protect a propane tank. Lucked out that they were in the middle of pulling the bollards, so it didn't matter that it was at a 45* angle. And somehow it twisted my dump bed straight. Had dumped a bit crooked for years before that. Pretty sure my dog put his butt against the shifter and pushed it out of gear.

  7143. #7143kshansen2023-08-19 07:24

    Sure blame it on the poor pooch!

  7144. #7144DMiller2023-08-19 16:42

    After I changed ALL the cans on the KW, Desensitized the old ones, Three of four spring cans springs were broken.

  7145. #7145Old Doug2023-08-20 09:04

    I worked at a place that had several trucks the boss couldnt under stand why it took so long to service one. After about 3 years he got to saying Doug always fines something wrong. I guess he understood that it helped keep trucks moving and not setting broke down.

  7146. #7146Old Doug2023-08-20 09:09

    We have a i think 1956 Powerwagon with the same cab. Its funny how some companys take something like this cab and use it years later.

  7147. #7147BSAA65LB2023-08-20 09:19
  7148. #7148DMiller2023-08-20 10:24

    Dodge used that cab seemingly FOREVER

  7149. #7149mowingman2023-08-20 12:04

    That is a 1958 Dodge Power Giant cab. The cab used on 58-60 Dodge civilian style pickups. It is just a little roomier than the old Power Wagon cab.

  7150. #7150DMiller2023-08-20 12:08

    And still a Cramped Mess., Similar to Fords original Super Duty or GMs 1950s as seen above.

  7151. #7151mowingman2023-08-20 12:46

    Drivers must have been smaller in the 50's. Cab size back then is a joke today. At one time in the early 50's, Dodge stated in a brochure that the old Power Wagon was equipped with a "Roomy 3-man cab. Must have been really small men.

  7152. #7152Birken Vogt2023-08-20 13:44

    The OP of this thread will agree with you on that. For instance when you got a flat on the road, you climbed out and changed it with these, if you did not patch it with the wheel still mounted.

  7153. #7153DMiller2023-08-20 13:58

    At one time had a set of those, kept the Hex bar as a drift, the socket head miraculously disappeared!!

  7154. #7154Truck Shop2023-08-20 15:23

    Drivers back then-why they were tougher than a nickel steak. 5'8" tall, belt buckle worn on the side, short sleave shirts with the sleaves rolled up and a pack of Lucky Strikes tucked in. Double clutch boots with chrome tips, hair greased up like Elvis and short crown cowboy hat to go with it. Just a headed down the road to the next greasy spoon to throw ten cents in the juke box and listen to Walking the Floor Over You or Girl on The Billboard by Del Reeves while telling lies and drinking coffee.

  7155. #7155Truck Shop2023-08-20 15:29

    Girl on the Billboard says it all. *

  7156. #7156skyking12023-08-20 15:51

    I test the parking springs on the dump truck all the time, digging out of it with the JD120. That big horn may have been a bummer but I do like the look of it.

  7157. #7157Truck Shop2023-08-20 16:18

    It doesn't look bad from the outside, but looking through the windshield is another thing, the hood was so big it blocked allot view along with the small wrap around windshield, that's where chicken sticks were born. If it has four one could be defective or just two one could be defective. Have to do a visual inspection.

  7158. #7158DMiller2023-08-20 18:41

    Found mine looking thru Caging tool hole, MGM.

  7159. #7159Truck Shop2023-08-20 18:45

    That was TMI.

  7160. #7160mekanik2023-08-20 19:36

    I installed a pair of no-name brake chambers on a single axle boom truck. The operators were complaining that the park brake would not hold on a hill. The old chamber springs were intact but probably weak from age. The new chambers fixed the problem. a couple weeks later they called and said its worse now than it was before. I made the 1 1/2 hour drive to the truck to see what the problem was. When I slid under it both plugs were missing from the caging bolt holes. Upon further inspection the springs inside the chambers had shattered. They were in pieces less than an inch long. Good quality import parts.

  7161. #7161Truck Shop2023-08-20 19:52

    I mainly used Alliance/Freightliner park brake chambers, TRP is another. But there are some low quality brands for sure. For a while I got a good price on Haldex and Bendix but those prices vanished right along with the rest. Few around here carried MGM. Biggest issue with most of those is leaking air internally to service side.

  7162. #7162Truck Shop2023-08-20 20:53

    Some of you welder guy's could practice your hard surface welding. *

  7163. #7163Truck Shop2023-08-20 21:06

    Nice photo of 950 Diamond T. *

  7164. #7164Truck Shop2023-08-22 18:40

    Finally going this year, missed it for years because of work. This year is a good reason to go because of Kenworth's 100th Anniversary so there will be lots of KW's to see. It's a long one day trip but I'm not driving so I can just lookout the window. Going with the Chrome Brothers and gang. *

  7165. #7165BSAA65LB2023-08-22 21:10
  7166. #7166Welder Dave2023-08-23 01:47

    It sure looks like the bucket off Big Muskie. 220 cubic yards, largest single bucket ever made, weighs 230 tons. There were 2 other's but don't know what happened to them, probably scrapped. They had 3 buckets so one was always available to change out. Just rebuilding the buckets would keep a few welders busy full time. I can't remember but I think buckets got changed out every 7 month's or so. I've got a book from BE and Big Muskie could remove overburden at a rate of 8000yds./hr. which works out to about 36 buckets. If I recall the cutting lip was largest single pour they ever did in their foundry. Should have never scrapped it. https://ohiodnr.gov/go-and-do/plan-a-visit/find-a-property/miner-s-memorial-park-big-muskie-s-bucket

  7167. #7167Truck Shop2023-08-23 02:57

    It is.

  7168. #7168kshansen2023-08-23 07:28

    Looks like a fancied up version of the DM800's most of the quarries the company used for stocking trucks.

  7169. #7169kshansen2023-08-23 09:47

    More I look at it maybe a DM600 front fenders look a bit short for a 800, had a few of them too! Below is a picture of one of the DM685's It's a bit nasty looking from all the stone dust that did a number on the paint and seldom if ever washed. Strictly an off-highway truck.

  7170. #7170Truck Shop2023-08-23 13:13

    1941 model 364 pre-war Pete, Pete only built one, this one. *

  7171. #7171DMiller2023-08-23 13:43

    Wonder where it ended up life at.

  7172. #7172Truck Shop2023-08-23 14:11

    Probably in Morton, Randal or Packwood area. Peterman who started Peterbilt was a Mortonite. Then there is the possibility North Bend, Snoqualmie Falls are too.

  7173. #7173Truck Shop2023-08-23 14:18

    The one in center is not the same, the one I posted above was factory green. Although being a colorized photo who knows but I doubt it. *

  7174. #7174Pony2023-08-23 17:16

    What are the lines coming across from the front duals just behind the bloke in TS's black and white photo a couple of posts up. #7171

  7175. #7175Truck Shop2023-08-23 18:18

    Looks like RR.

  7176. #7176skyking12023-08-23 18:40

    are you talking about the 3 lines? that is an old school mirror mount on the truck next to him. The little mirror is lost in that set of duals. Note the driver side mirror.

  7177. #7177DMiller2023-08-23 19:13

    Can see that match to the Left side of the old Ford.

  7178. #7178Truck Shop2023-08-23 19:16

    Pretty dim spider web.

  7179. #7179Welder Dave2023-08-23 19:58

    2 Greyhound buses will fit in it side by side as it's 20' wide. There's also a picture of a full high school marching band in the bucket at the introduction ceremony. When they had to change out the base the machine sits on it took 22 major pieces of heavy equipment to pull it out. Mostly big dozers and scrapers. The hyd. tank held 26,000 gallons! Kind of pricey when the oil had to be changed. Big Muskie was equivelent to about 62,900 HP! Over 2,000,000lbs. pull on the the twin 5" drag ropes.

  7180. #7180BSAA65LB2023-08-24 20:55
  7181. #7181DMiller2023-08-25 12:26

    Two Story Falcons!!! Based upon End unit, Rear Driver Front Tag or Pusher NON Driver, perhaps even set up for Rubber Band Tandem.

  7182. #7182crane operator2023-08-25 17:10

    1966 White 7400 coe​ $5,000 Listed a day ago in Bixby, MO Seller's Description​ 1966 White 7400 coe · Driven NaN miles 1966 white 7400 cummins engine ( non turbo) 10 speed , air assist steering, runs good needs batteries . Also I have original owners mammal an build sheet for this truck. Good Mo title

  7183. #7183Truck Shop2023-08-25 17:15

    AKA-Japanese Freightliner.

  7184. #7184DMiller2023-08-25 17:55

    And a Back Breaker with a Bostrum West Coaster

  7185. #7185Pops522023-08-25 18:49

    But does the A/C work??

  7186. #7186Truck Shop2023-08-25 19:04

    Batteries don't.

  7187. #7187DMiller2023-08-25 19:27

    Most built pre 1970 Not AC equipped. That one if had it would have had a roof mount, nothing there.

  7188. #7188Truck Shop2023-08-25 19:57

    What's that Red Dot doing up there?

  7189. #7189DMiller2023-08-26 07:32

    Totally Missed that !!!!!!

  7190. #7190Truck Shop2023-08-27 13:11

    2023 Brooks show, the best rig there was the black primer 53 Pete. Owned and built by 80 year old Denny Edwards. He extended the hood 12", powered by a 12.7 Series 60. I spent a fair amount of time talking to him, he knew about my old mack. I asked him if he planned on painting it {what do you think he asked} leave it be I said-{funny that's what I'm going to do}. He did ask a funny question {how many wives have you had, I've had five he said and I depreciated them all out}. *

  7191. #7191Truck Shop2023-08-27 13:45

    850 KW. *

  7192. #7192Truck Shop2023-08-27 15:51

    The best part of the show--I had to set and take a break my right hip started to bother me, so there were two rows of trucks I didn't get to see, I sent the others on while I waited and hung out in the old log truck section in the shade. Earlier some old engines were being demonstrated and one had a whistle, there was this little boy there that every time the whistle sounded he would get real excited. Later I was setting near a toy railroad that gave kids rids, that same kid was there and was just so excited about going on the train, he was the real show.

  7193. #7193Old Doug2023-08-27 15:53

    If i ever bought a lottery ticket and won big one thing that i would do is buy a old truck and make it like new agin.

  7194. #7194Truck Shop2023-08-27 20:11

    Brooks.

  7195. #7195Truck Shop2023-08-27 20:33

    Brooks.

  7196. #7196Truck Shop2023-08-27 20:35

    Brooks.

  7197. #7197Truck Shop2023-08-27 20:37

    And last one, and end of this entire thread from page 1 to 360. * *

  7198. #7198Welder Dave2023-08-27 21:41

    Say it isn't so. Everybody looks forward to your posts and your expertise in all things trucks and engines. Hope you're doing OK. I really understand the having to sit down and rest. I do some simple little things on my feet for a couple hours and I'm wiped out for a few days. I wake up in the morning the next day and I'm aching badly in my back and shoulders. I'm finally getting a handle on drying out my MX track. What's left is mostly driving the quad with the pump around to pump out the low spots. I wanted to go out today but was in too much pain. On Saturday I put gas in a pump already in place and then spent a couple hours cleaning up the articulation valve for the grader so it's ready to put back on when the solenoids arrive. Nothing strenuous or difficult but I was aching pretty good. Early this morning lying in bed my back and shoulders were aching so bad it woke me up and I couldn't get in a position to fall back to sleep. When I got up I was aching bad and very tired. It's really frustrating when you can't do the things you want to do. It is good I can do some things and get around though. Hopefully with time things get better.

  7199. #7199DMiller2023-08-28 15:36

    Straightup sweet rides

  7200. #7200BSAA65LB2023-08-28 20:23
  7201. #7201DMiller2023-08-29 04:23

    The or a copy of the Duel machine?

  7202. #7202Old Doug2023-08-29 08:02

    I am not big on PATINA or leave it rusty just seems lazy and i have owned and drove plenty of rusty paint peeling off stuff and steal do.

  7203. #7203Birken Vogt2023-08-29 09:39

    Patina is a modern statement on how hard it is to find good body work and how expensive good paint is these days. Race to the bottom.

  7204. #7204Truck Shop2023-08-29 14:54

    Or a modern statement that people can't read-All the fat and gristle has been chewed off the bone, mulled over right down to the last screw and bolt. * I started this thread it's ran it's course.---start another if need be.

  7205. #7205ps66x42023-08-29 20:25

    It's a good thread. Thanks

  7206. #7206Pops522023-08-29 21:00

    What he said…..

  7207. #7207Welder Dave2023-08-29 21:05

    Great thread! Somebody else can start a new one with some cool pics. of classic trucks.

  7208. #7208Truck Shop2023-08-29 22:14

    Your welcome * Believe it or not I put allot of hours in this thread, taking photos, down loading and posting. Not to mention the photos that are mine-several hours driving sometimes. My collection of photos takes up a ton of PC space, I just spent a bunch on a high level PC, I really don't want to do that again too soon. Hank R added many as did BSA and I thank you two for that. But after going to Brooks show this last weekend and talking to many of the old guys, some I knew. I brought up the fact the show seemed light on old/antique trucks from what I'd seen in photos ten years ago. Well the old guys who own these rigs are either too stoved-up, sick or dying or dead. And after standing on the side lines listening to the younger generations and what they would do to these rigs if they could get their hands on them, really pi$$ed me off. The thread is almost 6 years old and allot has been discussed-sometimes over and over, it's just time to move on.

  7209. #7209skyking12023-08-29 22:18

    I have always been amazed at the content you come up with. Thank you, and Hank and BSA and the others. I've seen rigs I never imagined.

  7210. #7210Hank R2023-08-29 22:31

    Thanks for the kind words Truck Shop. You pictures inspired me to share a few hundred of mine.

  7211. #7211westerner2023-08-29 22:53

    Enjoy your retirement. I know I sure do. Still, ya gotta keep your hand in somehow...

  7212. #7212Pops522023-08-29 23:00

    TS What you said about the kids doing to whatever they want to the old trucks, I get. Best old trucks are the way they rolled off the line. With single stack.

  7213. #7213petepilot2023-08-30 00:46

    thread has had one hell of a run. thank you for the time and effort .

  7214. #7214dust eater2023-08-30 07:16

    Thanks Truck Shop, I have got alot of enjoyment from this thread, and reading your answers to to other peoples problems

  7215. #7215Old Doug2023-08-30 07:42

    Thanks Truck Shop i like old stuff that hasnt been made into something it wasnt. The older i get the less i care but i have also been under a lot more stress maybe my thoughts on stuff will change.

  7216. #7216Truck Shop2023-08-30 08:17

    Thanks PP. You and Pops drove allot miles, know what I'm saying, not that others don't necessarily. Below is a prefect restoration, hearing someone say how great it would look lowered with a drop visor, double hump fenders was sickening. It's a piece of transportation history. Maybe after awhile I will feel different and start posting on here again. *

  7217. #7217JaredV2023-08-30 10:17

    This thread has to keep going so us younger guys will have a better appreciation for the old stuff. Not that I need it, I like history so I like old cars and trucks better when they're restored to original condition than customized and hot rodded.

  7218. #7218Hank R2023-08-30 14:39

    I can not remember if I posted these 2 pictures before

  7219. #7219Hank R2023-08-30 14:57

    Back in the early 80's I spent 3 weeks on a produce haul to California, used to stop in here for a rest. Is that truck stop gone or still around? Got a few decals and put on my cooler

  7220. #7220Oxbow2023-08-30 15:57

    I stopped there occasionally in the 80s as well!

  7221. #7221petepilot2023-08-30 22:33

    that would make me want to stuff a dirty week old sock in his mouth

  7222. #7222Hank R2023-08-31 07:41

    I have a friend that went to the ATHS show in Reno and did enjoy it the amount of rat rods and drop visors is not his thing, sounds like he is done with the shows since the Yakima show he has been to them all.

  7223. #7223Old Doug2023-08-31 07:53

    If a old car,pickup or truck has been striped out missing a lot of parts that are impossable to find or it has rusted away to almost nothing its not so bad if someone wants to build it into something it wasnt.

  7224. #7224Hank R2023-08-31 17:24

    Know nothing about these pictures just going through folders on PC

  7225. #7225Welder Dave2023-08-31 17:28

    Wouldn't think there were that many Hy-Hoe log loaders on trucks but maybe?

  7226. #7226Hank R2023-08-31 17:43

    Oct 2016 spotted this Pacific beside the Freeway west of Chilliwack, west bound.

  7227. #7227Hank R2023-09-16 22:40

    My friend Mike was at the Brooks show and seen this Oshkosh. My thought is a power company was hauling to a remote location. I did not expect to see this Oshkosh hauling those poles, certainly some thing different.

  7228. #7228Truck Shop2023-09-16 22:48

    Used what they had available I guess.

  7229. #7229Welder Dave2023-09-16 22:55

    Oshkosh my gosh. Oops that's for Oskosh kids clothing like overalls.

  7230. #7230renovator2023-09-17 19:48

    PNM, the electric utility in New Mexico, had several of those. I've seen one hauling poles, another with a cherry picker, and another hauling a massive trailer-mounted cherry picker. They've long since been removed from active service.

  7231. #7231Hank R2023-09-26 10:51

    Not sure about these pictures but my thought is they were Hayes pictures.

  7232. #7232Truck Shop2023-09-26 15:16

    Can't find anything Hayes wise resembling those photos, nor IH, GMC, White, and so on. Closest hood wise and grille 1935 KW.

  7233. #7233Hank R2023-09-26 18:15

    My thoughts on Hayes was the frame shop looks like small truck builder, where as KW would have a much better larger shop and Hayes in late 30's and 40's would build 3 or 4 trucks a month.

  7234. #7234Hank R2023-09-26 18:24

    Not 100% but fairly sure this bus is a Hayes as it was in a group of Pacific pictures when I did my Pacific story.

  7235. #7235Truck Shop2023-09-26 18:32

    My thought was Hayes used some KW parts in their shop, anything was possible back then.

  7236. #7236mekanik2023-09-26 18:36

    If I'm not mistaken Cummins used to build buses.

  7237. #7237Truck Shop2023-09-26 18:48

    Nice image of 1936 Hayes bus in this video of Hayes History. *

  7238. #7238Truck Shop2023-09-26 18:55

    Cummins H series powered 1932 Mack built bus. *

  7239. #7239Truck Shop2023-09-26 19:03

    1937 Hayes PCT-32 “Teardrop” – Pacific Stage Lines #63 63 was one of 17 PCT-32 motorcoaches built by Vancouver-based Hayes Manufacturing Company between 1936 and 1937. Before the Second World War, they were the pride of the Pacific Stage Lines f… transitmuseumsociety.org

  7240. #7240Hank R2023-09-27 17:34

    Hayes do not know the year.

  7241. #7241Truck Shop2023-09-27 18:24

    Guess--late 30's mid 40's. nice photo.

  7242. #7242DMiller2023-09-27 20:21

    Eight Lug rims, spindly steer axle.

  7243. #7243Truck Shop2023-09-27 21:52

    Enlarge that photo--it's a ten lug hub. Two are hidden on top and bottom because of camera angle.

  7244. #7244crane operator2023-09-27 21:58

    But its got a stack of springs on it. Especially compared to today's steers that have 3 leafs in them.

  7245. #7245Truck Shop2023-09-27 22:04

    It's a 11,500-12,000 steer.

  7246. #7246DMiller2023-09-28 06:54

    On a phone, could not make large enough!! Thanks

  7247. #7247Hank R2023-09-28 07:32

    Hayes made service box.

  7248. #7248Hank R2023-09-28 22:14

    BCE, stands for British Columbia Electric

  7249. #7249Hank R2023-09-29 17:34

    This old Hayes-Anderson was sitting just east of town by Golf course in the 70's it ran when it was parked then 80 or 81 it disappeared. I took pictures in 78.

  7250. #7250Truck Shop2023-09-29 19:43

    Someone probably saved the tower/gear and scraped the truck, too bad it was a early one.

  7251. #7251Hank R2023-09-29 22:01

    I am mad at myself for not taking more and better pictures back in 78. I was not thinking good with the big head...

  7252. #7252Truck Shop2023-09-29 22:07

    I've missed hundreds just because I forgot the camera.

  7253. #7253Camshawn2023-09-29 22:28

    The biggest advantage of the smart phone is the camera is in your pocket if you remembered your phone. I took a few pictures of the dog (pet thread) as we were walking this afternoon that I would not have done because the big camera was in the house. Cam

  7254. #7254Truck Shop2023-09-29 22:40

    the digital I carry is way smaller than a smart phone. takes good photos. Charge it like a phone.

  7255. #7255Hank R2023-09-29 23:08

    TS in Haul trucks I posted a cool picture for you...

  7256. #7256Camshawn2023-09-29 23:14

    I have had several small digital cameras over the years but my company supplied smart phone was so good that I just never carried the camera. The ease of emailing the photo without having to find the cable, a computer or other paraphernalia outweighs the downside of the smart phone( being connected always). Cam

  7257. #7257Truck Shop2023-09-30 19:24

    I'm putting this here because it might be interesting for those old and young, I had a friend run the build sheet for this 1959. * But I'm having trouble copying because it's in PDF

  7258. #7258Truck Shop2023-09-30 20:57
  7259. #7259Hank R2023-10-02 14:40

    Western Canadian Collieries operated coal mines in Blairmore and Bellevue, Alberta from 1903 to the early 60's. Tent Mountain had a coal mine on the Alberta BC boarder that mined to the mid 80's as the P10 Pacific I drove ended up there in 86 I think look for pictures.

  7260. #7260Hank R2023-10-03 10:57

    It was in spring of 78 is when Roy sold his P 10 to Mario in Blairmore and in 85 was the last picture of the Pacific.

  7261. #7261Hank R2023-10-03 11:15

    Roy's P 10 when new at the Pacific factory Dec 73, Roy's truck on left. Load of coal, the after truck sold and parked in Blairmore in 85

  7262. #7262Hank R2023-10-04 10:40
  7263. #7263Hank R2023-10-07 21:53

    Vancouver city hall in Background.

  7264. #7264petepilot2023-10-07 22:40

    coal haulers back here refered to that load as a graveyard hump

  7265. #7265Old Doug2023-10-08 09:37

    I saw a truck that had a bed like a lowboy trailer . The tires stuck up throught the bed the truck frame was even with the floor and the bed was made of all bolt together parts that bolted through the truck frame.

  7266. #7266Truck Shop2023-10-08 18:43
  7267. #7267Pops522023-10-08 19:36

    Who remembers these?

  7268. #7268petepilot2023-10-08 21:45

    im Im old enough to have driven a couple different ones old spicer they also built a 16 spd. version

  7269. #7269Pops522023-10-08 21:54

    Dang! Yer older than me!

  7270. #7270petepilot2023-10-08 22:09

    nah I just started earlier than you

  7271. #7271Truck Shop2023-10-08 22:25

    Drove a 62 Autocar water truck with that setup, it wasn't too popular I was told. * Just Old Trucks.

  7272. #7272Pops522023-10-08 22:25

    Easter break 68. I wasn’t quite 16. 1st 4 days I scrubbed an aluminum liquid sugar tank with SOS pads. Went south after that……..

  7273. #7273petepilot2023-10-08 22:32

    I got what was then called chauffers license in august 1964. took my road test in a new 64 gmc tandem dump with a shiny alum.16' body gms super toro flow diesel and a 5&4 what a start

  7274. #7274skyking12023-10-08 22:56

    @Truck Shop thanks for the build sheets. The words on there , Sangamo, Luberfiner, Brown-Lipe those are familiar. Extend the stack to 13'6" Was that common? It was cool to read through, The 8255 transmission sounds like a Brown-Lipe number too.

  7275. #7275Truck Shop2023-10-09 01:37

    Used to pull a van. Which all became Spicer. * What people don't know is how hard it is to get a build sheet on a Kenworth that old. I know someone at KW who can get them. * The part that isn't shown is that cab has a roll down-up rear window.

  7276. #7276Welder Dave2023-10-09 01:54

    What air cooled engine, Duetz?

  7277. #7277Truck Shop2023-10-09 02:44

    Correct.

  7278. #7278Pony2023-10-09 06:58

    Any idea of what year that was offered?

  7279. #7279cfherrman2023-10-09 07:56

    and what size to get 750 hp

  7280. #7280Truck Shop2023-10-09 09:05

    Late 50's,60's.

  7281. #7281colson042023-10-09 10:55

    Best I can find from the early 60's would be a Deutz 6M545. Typically a marine engine, it produces 750hp @ 380rpm with 217L displacement. I'm not sure if that is what was actually used in the road train that was featured above, but I would presume it is something similar.

  7282. #7282Truck Shop2023-10-09 11:00

    Correct, That engine was used in other trucks also, I'm just happy someone else looked it up.

  7283. #7283Truck Shop2023-10-09 11:08

    This was powered by the same 12 cylinder Deutz IIRC.

  7284. #7284cfherrman2023-10-09 11:23

    Would love to have that truck

  7285. #7285Truck Shop2023-10-09 17:15

    The very last LT Mack ever produced--1953.

  7286. #7286Truck Shop2023-10-09 18:07

    Rare photo-Post war shop built Arrow tractor, using KW cab with Freightliner/Consolidated Freight radiator shell. One of many built in Portland at Arrow Tank Lines truck shop. *

  7287. #7287Honky Cat2023-10-09 19:04

    I started in a blue peterbilt in 1980 hauling bulls all over the central and southeast USA. I had never driven one but my dad was a cattle baron and his trucking company he used got short handed and I got picked to haul cattle and horses in that truck, it had a 400 come along in it and turned up to the max. 13 speed flattop and I pulled a 48’ Great Bend bull rack. Learned more in the 4 years helping them than I ever thought. First thing the boss told me was do not ever cross and scales for any reason. 6 truck fleet dodged scales every state we traveled. Easy to do but always out of the direct route we were travelling. We were definately Outlaw Truckers always ran 3 logbooks, drove straight through to get the cattle off quick as possible. Knock on wood, but I never lost an animal in my career as a Bull Hauler. I wish I had those days back because all truckers back then were all good guys and we all talked all night long on the big radio to stay awake! Now a days these guys are not even close to the drivers we were. They could not handle the stress we carried hauling those yearlings. Todays drivers couldn’t handle a fast truck loaded needless to say a slow one either. I appreciate all the good times we had trucking and will never forget how great Truckers as a whole were back then. Those times are gone for good! Sad! Honky Cat

  7288. #7288Tyler d4c2023-10-09 20:14

    What was a Williams exhaust brake? I've never heard of one before

  7289. #7289Truck Shop2023-10-09 21:00

    Jakes arrived on the scene in 1961, so everything before that had nothing or an exhaust brake. Williams was the first company to build on highway exhaust brakes. Blue Ox was another later on. Most of the smaller displacement diesels like 5.9-8.3 use exhaust brakes, I think DuraMax has one. Just a valve that blocks exhaust flow at manifold.

  7290. #7290Tyler d4c2023-10-09 21:36

    Gotcha thanks TS

  7291. #7291Birken Vogt2023-10-09 22:43

    When DPF/VGT came on the scene, the 8.3 (later 8.9) Cummins got a true Jake brake, worked extremely well. Before that it was an exhaust brake, had to run it right at max RPM to get good effect out of it, worked OK as long as you did not let it go overspeed. I think I heard the 6.7 Cummins got something more than an exhaust brake in recent times but don't know myself. I think all of these can also be ordered w/o Jake brakes and the VGT nozzle can still clamp down tight and provide braking like the old exhaust butterfly. Then there was the Mercedes thing that had a tiny valve (or held the valves open a tiny bit) sort of like a Jake brake but without valve timing being an issue, the valve just stayed restrictive open all the time at one position. That was more recent.

  7292. #7292Truck Shop2023-10-10 05:22

    Best engine brake is the Detroit DD13,15 & 16 series, has the best timing, opens exhaust valves twice to completely empty cylinder. Best combination-Cat engines equipped with oil retarder and jake. IMO

  7293. #7293Pony2023-10-10 07:13

    Admittedly, I only had a quick google search, but when I saw 217L displacement, I thought that can't be right. 6M545 shows as max rpm 380, weight 22500kg. Surely that's not going in that truck we're talking about?

  7294. #7294kshansen2023-10-10 10:49

    Might be a little slow on the flat straightaways but nothing going to stop it on the hills!

  7295. #7295Hank R2023-10-10 13:04
  7296. #7296Hank R2023-10-10 13:06
  7297. #7297Truck Shop2023-10-10 16:14

    Can't remember the displacement of this one.

  7298. #7298Hank R2023-10-11 16:34

    Know nothing about this picture other than when I was writing my Pacific story this was on a disk that was sent to me.

  7299. #7299Honky Cat2023-10-11 21:50

    Would it be a diesel powered mud pump (drilling rig) or irrigation pump?

  7300. #7300Truck Shop2023-10-11 21:55

    Logging,

  7301. #7301Truck Shop2023-10-12 19:11

    test. I had the guy here that built/sold me my PC, My new camera is not compatible with this site. And they don't make a digital camera that condenses photos like my old one did. So it's back to using my old camera. He explained a smart phone auto condenses.

  7302. #7302petepilot2023-10-12 20:53

    test. I had the guy here that built/sold me my PC, My new camera is not compatible with this site. that one takes a picture. full screen

  7303. #7303Hank R2023-10-13 15:46
  7304. #7304DMiller2023-10-13 15:59

    Red over Black Needle nose looks good

  7305. #7305Camshawn2023-10-13 21:19

    I picked up a 6 pack of Cariboo Malt this afternoon…..

  7306. #7306Hank R2023-10-13 21:47

    Your the man

  7307. #7307Camshawn2023-10-13 22:28

    1st time trying Cariboo Malt. Usually buy their Honey. Just noticed the beer is 8%. Better not have too many tonight….

  7308. #7308Hank R2023-10-15 11:00
  7309. #7309BSAA65LB2023-10-15 19:04
  7310. #7310stinky642023-10-16 10:22

    I've got a soft spot for wiggle wagons.

  7311. #7311Truck Shop2023-10-17 06:57

    Funny how this thread just won't die like it should, but-------------------------------------------. * One of my favorite things about hef in the {truck} repair threads, is the constant flow of ideas on how to get 200lbs of crap in a 5lb bag. * {I've got this IH 1994, 84, 54 with a dt466 and a Allison that weighs 36,000. It only has 180 horse power and a slush box with 4 gears, I know it's a little under powered but was thinking about if I put a super 5 speed alley with lockup or a 6+8 spicer and or a 6622 maybe I could go a little faster up hill and have better towing capability because I also have a 2 axle tag trailer with electric brakes that I haul my JD710 with}. * There is only one answer---------GO BUY A REAL TRUCK & GET A CDL to MATCH, if you can't afford that you can't afford to be in business, go back to working for someone else.

  7312. #7312Old Doug2023-10-17 08:24

    Ideals and dreams is what makes the world go round. I heard one time that if a man didnt fantasize so much a day his mental health wouldnt be good.

  7313. #7313mekanik2023-10-17 14:15

    Back in the 1970's a friend of my dad's won the lottery. It was a for a million dollars even which was a lot of money in the 70's. The guy owned several logging trucks. When he was collecting the money they asked him what he was going to do with his new wealth. He responded with: " I will probably just keep trucking until its all gone".

  7314. #7314Hank R2023-10-17 16:15

    In the late 50's and early 60's my mom's brother worked for Bannister, and Majestic pipelines. Mostly as a drag line operator. .

  7315. #7315Truck Shop2023-10-18 09:49

    That thread is up to 29 replies and 600 views, will get that Briggs geared up yet.

  7316. #7316cfherrman2023-10-18 15:58

    You make fun but not every one is in the same situation.

  7317. #7317Truck Shop2023-10-18 18:21

    It's bad advise and good money after bad.

  7318. #7318Hank R2023-10-19 10:45
  7319. #7319Hank R2023-10-21 07:26
  7320. #7320Acoals2023-10-21 11:59

    What is that? I assume oilfield gear?

  7321. #7321Hank R2023-10-21 12:35

    Yes

  7322. #7322cfherrman2023-10-21 13:11

    Rotary draworks for a drill rig, they still move them like that. Here's a really bad pic of one on a float trailer recently.

  7323. #7323colson042023-10-21 15:27

    Ya beat me to it.

  7324. #7324Hank R2023-10-22 08:07
  7325. #7325Truck Shop2023-10-22 09:34

    Hayes COE. using mack cab.

  7326. #7326BSAA65LB2023-10-22 09:51

    https://i.postimg.cc/rFTpdWwW/A8-E04-CBB-752-B-4182-A891-782-B3-C9554-**.jpg

  7327. #7327stinky642023-10-22 10:05

    Vintage Bull Frogs.

  7328. #7328Truck Shop2023-10-22 10:08

    Above is a great example of car manufactures trying to build trucks, the original two story ford. The cab from a C model scabbed on with filler panels, the engine sat at 6* tilt, shift linkage was a disaster, notice those are super cheap-fixed fifth wheels and tag axles on minnesota mag wheels.

  7329. #7329Pops522023-10-22 11:00

    And, they have em all lined up nice like politicians in a photo-op......

  7330. #7330Hank R2023-10-24 08:13

    I am out of old truck pictures sorry guys.

  7331. #7331Pops522023-10-24 09:24

    I'll throw one in. Me and my cousin a few years back. I'm the short one.

  7332. #7332Truck Shop2023-10-24 09:38

    As one said to the other--Been truck'n long?

  7333. #7333Old Doug2023-10-24 09:43

    This past week end most of you know i was hauling grain for my Sisters husband. He has some single axle semis . I am not the worlds greatest driver i have shifted about every kind of transmisson there is and given time i got to the point were i wasnt doing damage shifting gears but the truck i lived in this weeked had a 7 speed i understand why the 7 speed was made but why would anyone ever order a truck with one maybe they were half price of any other trans. I thought maybe this truck had a 5 and 2speed axle when i first saw it but then the truck would have been worth alot more money.

  7334. #7334cfherrman2023-10-24 14:55

    Was it a 8/9ll? I've driven some of those and they seem like a really good trans except at 50 mph when you shift from 6-7. 7 forward gears, L, and deep reduction.

  7335. #7335Truck Shop2023-10-24 14:57

    In most cases trucks are never spec'd by the one or ones driving it, and to add to that most driving it don't know either. Most fleet trucks are specified with the cheapest, lightest components to be had. The amount of horse-power/torque is commonly mismatched to transmission/final ratio's needed for GVW. Instead of installing a transmission with a close ratio and adding a few more gears-trucks are often wide ratio and operate out of the torque band. Especially in the 36,000 lb class-gutless engines with wide ratio's. Never understood anyone liking a Allison-except for the fact they can set and do nothing.

  7336. #7336cfherrman2023-10-24 20:19

    Going down the highway I don't think there's much use for a automatic, out in the bush they are extremely handy especially when your stuck in the mud.

  7337. #7337Truck Shop2023-10-24 22:11

    If that were true every logger in the Pacific Northwest would have had one.

  7338. #7338Old Doug2023-10-25 07:31

    Were we were driving they had a 7 speed and a automatic i had drove both a few trips. I know i didnt like the auto and thought i could get to like the 7 . I could never get to like the 7 having shifted other trans . The 7 truck is older and he talked about replacing it but if he gets another auto i would rather him keep the old 7 speed.

  7339. #7339cfherrman2023-10-25 08:22

    Old autos (750) are not great for going done hills, the 4500 however is great for it. People like using what they know and are afraid of what they don't know. Loggers also actually (I'm guessing) have some miles to drive on the highway. With me in a auto I will get stuck less because you can feel driving your front axle in soft ground without seeing it and a manual will push you right in and spin the tires. When your stuck you can power brake and build boost so when you lift off the brake you instantly spin the tires and take off while a manual you roll forward then build boost and your already towards the front of where your stuck. You can raise the rpm and launch with a manual but soon or later you be replacing u joints.

  7340. #7340Truck Shop2023-10-25 10:32

    Pew------------------------- this thread is for old trucks or was--not discussing all the worldly attributes of automatics and offroad driving techniques. * Everyone is a drivers driver, don't believe them just ask.

  7341. #7341cfherrman2023-10-25 19:22

    You asked, old truck have autos too, mine is a 1965 and a factory clbt 4460

  7342. #7342Truck Shop2023-10-25 19:26

    That's great-keep discussion on truck thread.

  7343. #7343materthegreater2023-10-28 11:57

    Here's an old truck. Don't know anything about it, maybe you guys can fill me in

  7344. #7344Truck Shop2023-10-28 12:05

    1958 F 800-850 with a 477, first year with that cab/nose and only year with that grille. To some a real collectors piece or for parts, glass is hard to come by.

  7345. #7345materthegreater2023-10-28 12:42

    Think it's worth $250?

  7346. #7346cfherrman2023-10-28 14:59

    There's probably $250 of iron there

  7347. #7347Truck Shop2023-10-28 16:28

    The grille is worth that.

  7348. #7348Truck Shop2023-11-01 19:33

    Kenworth giants. *

  7349. #7349Truck Shop2023-11-01 22:03

    One of my favorite things on here though is the name HEF-Heavy Equipment Forums. Must be a wording on here I'm missing all this time.

  7350. #7350Hank R2023-11-02 16:13
  7351. #7351Hank R2023-11-02 16:14
  7352. #7352Truck Shop2023-11-02 16:46

    With those Hours on the meter-hardly run, has a ways to go.

  7353. #7353Tyler d4c2023-11-02 16:59

    What for transmission is that?

  7354. #7354Truck Shop2023-11-02 17:03

    It's a large lockup Allison.

  7355. #7355Hank R2023-11-02 17:22

    Truck was a BC Hydro truck and was used to haul Transformers up to a dam site, and other heavy hauls. Truck and 300ton trailer has been sold and last heard it was in Wash state.

  7356. #7356Truck Shop2023-11-02 17:37

    And a multitude of different companies could own it, but I would bet it was bought cleaned up, painted, new rubber installed and resold. It takes to long to place order and receive ready to go on movers like that.

  7357. #7357Hank R2023-11-02 18:03

    I took the pictures in Vernon BC on Sept. 29/09. I thought in the mid teens on truck trader I seen it for sale.

  7358. #7358JaredV2023-11-02 18:06

    I believe Heavy Hauling in Kelso, Washington has it now or has one just like it. I don't remember if they got the trailer with it.

  7359. #7359Tyler d4c2023-11-02 18:31

    I learn a new thing everyday I have zero Allison knowledge.

  7360. #7360Truck Shop2023-11-02 19:08

    And here it is-Heavy Hauling Kelso Wa.

  7361. #7361Truck Shop2023-11-02 19:13

    Heavy Hauling Kelso. *

  7362. #7362cfherrman2023-11-02 19:24

    Very big Allison trans, the 5680 I imagine is similar and it's huge, like 2' tall

  7363. #7363Truck Shop2023-11-02 20:54

    Biggest reason for that trans in this 850 was Eaton at the time along with Spicer didn't build a trans that could stand up to that kind of torque. The latest Eaton's will handle 2500 lbs of torque plus.

  7364. #7364skyking12023-11-02 21:10

    those are great pictures Mike, I really like the junction of heavy hauling and steam locomotive.

  7365. #7365Truck Shop2023-11-02 21:13

    Heavy Hauls website has a photo gallery of about 40 photos.

  7366. #7366cfherrman2023-11-03 08:58

    What is this thing? The mast almost exactly looks like a mast on a oil well service rig.

  7367. #7367Truck Shop2023-11-03 09:01

    That's for servicing large oil well Trees---Commonly known as a Yarder, very heavy.

  7368. #7368mekanik2023-11-03 09:35

    Looks like one of these.

  7369. #7369cfherrman2023-11-03 18:54

    Those are just straight up pulling units really depending on the size of the draworks. I work on them everyday. Here's a pic of the one I'm on now. Truck shop is was made in the 50's so it fits memories of old truckers.

  7370. #7370Truck Shop2023-11-03 19:08

    lousy video.

  7371. #7371Truck Shop2023-11-03 19:13

    That's true but one thing---we don't run crap into the ground here a post and move on to next truck posted. This thread is about trucks not vocations-and the work that goes with it.

  7372. #7372JaredV2023-11-03 19:16

    Better not let any loggers see that. Only a matter of time before someone starts bringing them over this way and converting them into yarders. Looks like it wouldn't take much from where I sit.

  7373. #7373cfherrman2023-11-03 19:27

    I'll have to watch the video but the skinny poles can go away. My pic is a 10 x 13 pole much like the harder on a trailer mount above. Skinny poles are 8x10

  7374. #7374Truck Shop2023-11-03 20:22

    Fargo Power Wagon. *

  7375. #737556wrench2023-11-04 09:50

    I can’t believe how much those old power wagons sell for nowadays no matter what kind of condition. I guess the supply must be drying up

  7376. #7376cfherrman2023-11-04 10:30

    Had time to watch the video. Pretty cool operation. Cut off the pulling unit crown and weld in a yarder crown, add in a enclosed operator cab. Rigs typically have two big winches capable of 6000' of 5/8" line, looks like need to add in a few small winches to help tie it off possibly if they don't use walking boomers. Pretty cool never seen equipment like that.

  7377. #7377Truck Shop2023-11-04 10:30

    It's people with not much to do, with too much money involved in the {Me Too Crowd}. As time goes by stuff that no one showed interest in suddenly is gold--mostly fad driven. I can remember when no one wanted a power wagon, Quad cab pickups were built for rail roads and logging-NO BODY wanted them, wouldn't be caught dead in one. And now you can hardly find a single cab pickup. * It's like harley's-no one really wanted one of those years ago, then it became a rage.

  7378. #7378cfherrman2023-11-04 10:33

    I remember being a kid and seeing a 95ish crew cab and was like wow never seen one of those didn't even know they made pickups like that! Kinda bought my daughter a single cab on purpose so when I drive it takes me back to the old days.

  7379. #7379Truck Shop2023-11-04 10:36

    1937 Shovel Nose. *

  7380. #7380kshansen2023-11-04 16:34

    I believe the CLBT6061-6 is physically the size as a 5680 , then it's been many moons since I worked on either one! Then there is the bog brother DP8000have a few of those in Off-Highway M-65 Macks. Some of the CLBT's were four speeds but all the ones I worked on were six speed. Trying to remember what the letters CLBT stood for...Something like C-converter, L-lockup clutch, drawing a blank on the B and T. One of the two might have referred to the hydraulic retarder (B for brake?). Been around 20 years since I worked in depth on one.

  7381. #7381kshansen2023-11-04 16:50

    I'll tell you one of the worse things about those Allison's for working on them was the pins in the planetaries were pressed in pins most with loose needles for bearings and they were locked in place with little ball bearings to keep the pins from turning. Basically two options to assemble them. One heat housing to around 350º and get the pins in before they cooled with out burning your fingers. The other was to get some dry ice and freeze the pins for a couple hours then assemble with gloves so as not to get frostbite. Which ever method used you did not want to get interrupted halfway through!

  7382. #7382Birken Vogt2023-11-04 17:36

    Converter Lockup Brake (oil retarder) T = transmission I think? The numbers I never had figured out. Some of them seemed to share most parts with on highway versions which had the more familiar HT750 type nomenclature. One fire old truck I worked on once was ex San Francisco and had a CLBT something or other, the real old 6 speed it was based off but I believe it was a CLBT instead because it had a full manual valve body for some reason. SF FD does things different, they also still use wooden ladders I think.

  7383. #7383Truck Shop2023-11-04 17:44

    An associate I've known for years use to rebuild Allison's, his best day was his last he always said.

  7384. #7384cfherrman2023-11-04 20:15

    I can look in my clbt 4460 book later. The 4460 is a manual valve body 6 speed off road trans. I e heard the ht 70 is the same but automatic valve body. In the ht 750's there is tons of letters on there including clbt, clt, drd. I think the 5680 is a 6 speed as well.

  7385. #7385Hank R2023-11-05 07:18

    Transmission for P 16's

  7386. #7386crane operator2023-11-05 08:41

    168- 248,000 gross, with 1205 ft.lbs of torque from a 12v-71. That's quite the frame spec also.

  7387. #7387Truck Shop2023-11-05 10:12

    That's puny for torque-5/8" rail standard on rigs like that, which reminds me of a 83 W900 setting with factory 1/2" rails, those are a little hard to find.

  7388. #7388Truck Shop2023-11-05 10:16

    Pew--nothing but stink. *

  7389. #7389Hank R2023-11-05 13:13

    Not really a old picture but not seen very often in my area.

  7390. #7390crane operator2023-11-05 13:34

    All our local dump truck drivers won't turn the key on 50,000lbs gross, unless they've got 1800-2000 ft.lbs of torque and minimum 550 hp.

  7391. #7391skyking12023-11-05 13:43

    LOLz. ( driving the 325/1075 truck all over the PNW hills )

  7392. #7392Truck Shop2023-11-05 15:21

    At the time in early 70's the engine was 1693TA with the rack screw pulled, if a engine back then produced 13 to 1450 it was a big deal. But it's what happens when society gets a little spoiled with todays power. Most trucks needed a main and auxiliary gear box with 7.50 ratio drives and lower. If all the electronic crap died today and all there was to drive was yesteryear equipment I guess many would either learn how or starve. * This moved a 14A D8 used for cutting logging roads-1956 B71 with a NH220, three stick------------ high/low range with a 5 speed main and 3 speed Auxiliary and some real low ass gears 9. IIRC. No P/S, No A/C, and not much heat in winter with air wipers, and stationary drivers seat. Pulled a Peerless fixed neck. *

  7393. #7393skyking12023-11-05 15:52

    ^ I posted a similar truck that sits along Canyon with a PTO winch on it. EDIT: it is a house mover with some big axles on it. I can stop by and check that transmission arrangement.

  7394. #7394skyking12023-11-05 16:00

    It's nice not having to bust your ass at the end of a long day.

  7395. #7395Hank R2023-11-05 17:35

    After 4 hrs of looking found pictures of the BC Hydro trailer when new. Schneider Logging Kelowna BC used their P 16 Pacific for a job

  7396. #7396Hank R2023-11-05 17:37

    The cost of a overweight Permit sure has changed since 1972

  7397. #7397Hank R2023-11-05 17:43
  7398. #7398Truck Shop2023-11-05 18:09

    Hank----now those are some great photos, thanks for posting. Makes this thread worth it.

  7399. #7399Truck Shop2023-11-05 18:15

    That Trailer setup reminds me of some of Lampson Crane own shop built for specific use. *

  7400. #7400Hank R2023-11-05 18:40

    Some time after 76 is when BC Hydro bought their 850 KW, I do not know the year and the serial # does not help my pea brain.

  7401. #7401Truck Shop2023-11-05 19:22

    Be interesting to know the cost/price paid for that 850 back then compared to a same KW today.

  7402. #7402Hank R2023-11-05 20:27

    Here is the serial # for the 850 KW if any one can get year build??

  7403. #7403Truck Shop2023-11-05 20:31

    I'll check on that about Wednesday after surgery.

  7404. #7404Hank R2023-11-05 21:36

    Look after your health first, Year of a truck is not that important. In 09 I went to Penticton to Inland KW and the parts man he could not find any information.

  7405. #7405Hank R2023-11-06 11:08

    Took this picture 5 years ago

  7406. #7406JaredV2023-11-06 21:19

    I happened to be near Heavy Hauling's yard today so I swung in and snapped some quick pictures. It was raining and I didn't want to get in the way so this was the best I could do. They've got two big'uns and a smaller one but judging by the bumper, the first picture is this truck.

  7407. #7407cfherrman2023-11-06 21:25

    Kenworth 850? I'm going to have to make a pulling unit out of one of these and convert to twin steer front. I previously wanted a c500 but a 850 will do.

  7408. #7408BSAA65LB2023-11-08 08:09
  7409. #7409Truck Shop2023-11-08 16:59

    Shingletown Ca. near Mt Lassen.

  7410. #7410Hank R2023-11-10 14:14

    Feb. 2014 this smart old trucker stopped town and put 2 sets of triple chains on the drivers then lifted the lead Axle on trailer before heading west up the mine hill with his load of straw bales.

  7411. #7411BSAA65LB2023-11-12 09:53
  7412. #7412Old Doug2023-11-12 10:01

    I cant believe those two lanterns could survive riding there.

  7413. #7413Truck Shop2023-11-12 10:13

    Strictly a promotional photo, allot of that type of hype in those days.

  7414. #7414Truck Shop2023-11-13 16:18

    As usual KW reused that vin #, it comes up 2001 W900. Normally it would have been tagged with previous year.

  7415. #7415Truck Shop2023-11-13 16:36

    A 1950 with a KTA 600-in for a rebuild, depending on what's needed $40 grand. Is it worth rebuilding? Of coarse it is---It's not a plastic pile of crap built from 1990 up, plus it's a 523 series. *

  7416. #7416Truck Shop2023-11-14 07:03

    Question--The word equipment--does that mean construction or does it mean equipment?

  7417. #7417cfherrman2023-11-14 08:55

    There's a lot of equipment that has nothing to do with construction.

  7418. #7418Truck Shop2023-11-14 10:58

    That is not what I'm getting at-and no one on here will get it.

  7419. #7419cfherrman2023-11-14 19:17

    Legit

  7420. #7420Tyler d4c2023-11-14 19:55

    Whats the gross weight allowed on that set up. The dot in pa would run out of pens if he stop that. Only doubles allowed here are 2 pups

  7421. #7421Truck Shop2023-11-14 19:56

    Yeah Reiselt--know that guy--a bi---- thumper.

  7422. #7422Oxbow2023-11-15 05:58

    That's a beauty.

  7423. #7423Old Doug2023-11-15 07:28

    This was built and owned buy a guy i know it has a Kubota Diesel in it.

  7424. #742456wrench2023-11-15 09:12

    That load of bales? I would assume 63.5 MT(139700lbs) legally unless they are light bales

  7425. #7425Truck Shop2023-11-15 11:29
  7426. #7426mowingman2023-11-15 11:44

    The truck that lost it's trailer brings back memories. When I was driving tractor trailers for our school bands, a new driver had this happen to him. He "thought" he had hooked up one of the band trailers. turns out it was not latched securely. As he made his first turn onto the city street, the trailer came loose and ended up on its "dolly" legs. That was his last trip driving a band truck. Wish I had remembered to take a photo. Lots of hand cranking required to get it rehooked to the tractor.

  7427. #7427Pops522023-11-15 12:20

    I was 16 and was sent along with "Nick" to pick up a 40'er with a load of lettuce at Guadalupe, Ca and bring it back to the yard. Truck was that POS 60 Emeryville with a jo-dog. Made it all the way from Guad into Santa Maria on Hwy 166 until Nick made the right turn onto Blosser Rd. Trailer came loose and set down perfectly straight in the lane. Legs had wheels. Had to get a crane there to pick it up. I was a bit embarrased even tho I wasn't driving cuz I knew this was not supposed to happen. I think the cable/handle for the release got hung on something.

  7428. #7428Oxbow2023-11-15 13:03

    Jo-dog............haven't heard that term in a few years!

  7429. #7429Truck Shop2023-11-15 14:09

    It's still a everyday occurrence-we would have at least two a year. And every time the driver would swear they heard the dogs latch, next question {did you get out and check to see if yoke bolt was back?}. {No}. Then I would have to go through remove fifthwheel and check operation upside down checking all parts. The thing about a Holland is once the yoke slides back covering the holes in fifthwheel plate the locking jaws can't open and won't open till handle is pulled kicking the safety finger/bar that is a secondary safety lock out of the way, it stops all forward movement of yoke. * The way the jaws/yoke get screwed up {one side of yoke bent} is from not having trailer at proper height causing a {high pining}. 100% of unhooks come from poor driving/lazy technique and or zero maintenance of fifthwheel. The Holland is the most reliable hitch design ever built going back 100 years.

  7430. #7430Pops522023-11-15 14:17

    I’ll second that.

  7431. #7431Hank R2023-11-15 16:44

    Those are straw bales they were hauling.

  7432. #7432Truck Shop2023-11-15 19:53
  7433. #7433cfherrman2023-11-15 21:51

    Which one do you choose, the Cummins or the buda

  7434. #7434Truck Shop2023-11-15 21:59

    Cummins-Buda's were not that common when it came to parts, good engine but wasn't covered very well. And later on Allis Chalmers bought Buda.

  7435. #7435Hank R2023-11-15 22:31

    The 950's were a big truck back in the 50's.

  7436. #7436Truck Shop2023-11-16 06:14

    And just possibly one of the rarest now, I remember them back to early 70's after that it was rare to see one and nonexistent now.

  7437. #7437Truck Shop2023-11-16 16:45

    A 1952 WC 24 and a 81 LTL 9000 I found this morning. *

  7438. #7438Tyler d4c2023-11-16 17:59

    You can have all them paccars and shakers and cornbinders. Just give me a ltl and I'll be happy.

  7439. #7439Truck Shop2023-11-16 18:19

    Guess what it has for power----A sad sack Double OO 8V92-. He will sell it real cheap--I might just have to buy it to perform a LTL MOtor Grenade--POOF. * There not a bad looking truck--but I have never been able to figure out why on the eastern part, Old Ford LTL's, GMC MH9500's, old Dodge Big Horns & CNT 900,1000 Dodges draw such attention. Mack I can see--But like the saying goes {if they also build cars, and farm implements probably best not buy it.

  7440. #7440Truck Shop2023-11-16 19:29

    You know this has possibilities-a 18 yard box and three drop axles with a tail drop a modern up and coming construction outfit make out big time. It would make a statement, trending. *

  7441. #7441Tyler d4c2023-11-16 19:31

    What did for me is dad had one for a tandem dump when I was a kid (before the dump anywhere sterling) and then the first tractor I ran for work was a ltl 9000 with a 3406 that I may have played with a little I like the 4-53 in my forktruck I sure don't want that 92 tho

  7442. #7442Truck Shop2023-11-16 19:37

    Ford and the 20* leaning engine.

  7443. #7443Truck Shop2023-11-17 17:21

    That yellow critter above IS--1951 WC 32 model, 504 cu.in. flathead Mustang with a 5X3. I found the registration-last licensed in 1975, Scale Wt 22,200. Originally owned by L.W. Vail Asphalt, Pasco Wa. Now average temp in Pasco in summer is 100*, the inside of cab is so small only dwarfs could drive it and would have been skinny dwarfs with the cab heat soaring in summer months. With manual steering loaded to licensed 46,000 he would have sweated his ass off because even with windows down this truck was so slow there was no interior breeze.

  7444. #7444Truck Shop2023-11-20 15:09

    A pretty rare Jimmy--Factory integral built sleeper, HDCR 653 model 1950, sold for 3,000. Originally 4-71 power with a 5x3. *

  7445. #7445cfherrman2023-11-20 15:56

    Quite expensive truck, must have done a lot of work in its day

  7446. #7446Truck Shop2023-11-20 16:24

    It just sold for 3,000.

  7447. #7447BSAA65LB2023-11-20 18:48
  7448. #7448Truck Shop2023-11-20 21:40

    DM your favorite and I think a 6-71 monster. *

  7449. #7449cfherrman2023-11-20 22:24

    Cool that's the truck franks sold pulling units on in the 50's

  7450. #7450Truck Shop2023-11-21 17:19

    Here's a dandy--I looked at this 65 A-Car over 25 years ago then again about 5 years ago. The cab is as rotten as a apple left on the tree in Dec. The frame has been scabbed back together in three places {Aluminum Rotten}. One drive housing has been welded, Only asking $6,500 for Scrap. Picture with bed is mine. *

  7451. #7451Truck Shop2023-11-21 20:49

    One with no rot-R190 sold for $1,500. DM will be admiring it. *

  7452. #7452525isx2023-11-21 22:02

    I like the Automotive Equipment emblems on the hood- my dad's '65 pete had them !

  7453. #7453JaredV2023-11-21 22:04

    Probably a C or J series Cummins.

  7454. #7454Truck Shop2023-11-22 08:58

    It's the only items worth saving.

  7455. #7455Truck Shop2023-11-22 09:02

    That was a late 50's ad, the reason I say 6-71 is it was cheap. Charted engine sales from late 40's, 50's, 60's Detroit had 45% plus of the engine sales-mainly because it was cheaper.

  7456. #7456JaredV2023-11-22 10:04

    I'm a young guy so I get my info from a book. It's been packed away for a few years but I don't remember seeing GM as an option for IH until the '60's. Maybe they didn't want to buy engines from another truck manufacturer? Are 6-71s shorter than a 220 Cummins? If the IH 190-200 series had a 220, they lengthened the nose to make room, giving it a set back axle look.

  7457. #7457cfherrman2023-11-22 12:05

    Comparing my N14 and my 671, the 671 is shorter by two N14 cylinders roughly. A 220 probably was a 700-855 displacement while the 671 is half that

  7458. #7458Truck Shop2023-11-22 17:26

    Here's the trouble with old books written about brands, 70% wasn't true. In those years unlike today trucks could be ordered with just about anything under the hood. Kittitas County had 8 190 series with 6-71's in mid fifties. I have allot of books with allot of discrepancy's. * 6x71 =426 220=743

  7459. #7459Truck Shop2023-11-22 17:36

    My issue with 2 strokes, 12V71 14L 852 cu.in. average hp was 435 to 450. Twice the moving parts to do the same job as a Cat or Cummins 6 cylinder, fires every time the piston comes up running at a constant high rpm which makes for extremely lousy fuel mileage.

  7460. #7460skyking12023-11-22 19:37

    we used them OK for fixed lower loads. The only truck I drove was a 78 KW water truck with a 318, and I used that to tow a JD 200 excavator on a 3 axle tilt. That was not a match made in heaven. I ran some old rollers and excavators and a Terex dozer but those are more of the fixed load thing. The Skagit deck winches had a 3-53 I think.

  7461. #7461cfherrman2023-11-22 22:57

    Oilfield used to be full of them. now it's lots of series 60's and the like. Cummins are way better

  7462. #7462Truck Shop2023-11-23 08:14

    That's what it's designed for-in a boat with throttle set.

  7463. #7463Old Doug2023-11-23 10:31

    Truck Shop its been 2 or 3 years since i drove anything Detroit powered . I drove and operater alot of stuff with them for power . I have worked on every thing from a 2 cyl to a v12 and maybe a v16 i was around one but cant remember if i had to work on it. The first semis i drove were 2 strokes . I have welded with portables with them spent a lot of hours sandblasting with a 8v71 running a screw compressor . I have pulled over 130.000 with a 238 6 71 . A Detroit wouldnt be my first choice but they always got the job done but your starting to give me a complex aginst Detroits.

  7464. #7464Truck Shop2023-11-23 13:35

    That's good!

  7465. #7465BSAA65LB2023-11-23 19:54

    1910 Avery, one of 6 known to exist. Top speed 15 MPH. The tread on the wheels are tapered wooden plugs for traction and to protect the rims.

  7466. #7466cfherrman2023-11-23 20:35

    I did probably $100,000 gross on a 671 last year

  7467. #746756wrench2023-11-24 10:35

    This Avery appears to be a couple years newer, at least the engine design looks newer. Saw it at a museum last summer

  7468. #7468BSAA65LB2023-11-24 18:09
  7469. #7469skyking12023-11-24 21:22

    That wood be fun to get some hardwood and set up a lathe jig to replace the tires on that.

  7470. #7470skyking12023-11-24 21:26

    I just remembered that KW water truck with the 318 got the last laugh on me. The company was Wildish out of Portland, and they laid me off when the bulk of the work was done. I was damn glad, it was graveyard work and I was done in. I get a call from the boss, can I work a day? The young guy from down that way was tasked to bring it back to Portland, and he got flagged in at the Kelso Scales , and he did not have a CDL. They gave me a ride to the scales and I presented my papers and I ferried it on down.

  7471. #7471mekanik2023-11-25 06:19

    Years ago when I was young and green I was working in a truck shop, the shop foreman told me to "take that truck out and park it in the back yard". It was an old 70's Kenworth cabover with a really long deck and a Hiab mounted at the rear of the deck, it had a 6-71 Detroit in it. It was different from the regular cabover. It did not have a sleeper and was very bare bones, the only upholstery was the seat. I parked it in the lineup in the back yard and when I turned the key off the engine did not stop, I looked for a tee handle on the dash and floor, it did not have one. It had a Road Ranger transmission so I put in high range and top gear and dumped the clutch and stalled it. With the long frame I could feel the cab twist until the engine stalled then the engine restarted backwards and twisted the truck the other way. It had a rear window and I could see blue smoke coming out of the air filter. It kept twisting back and fourth until I pushed the clutch back in with it running in the right direction. There was a chrome button on the corner of the instrument panel, I pushed it and the engine shut off. I still wonder if I left it running twisting back and fourth if it would still be running or would the frame have failed from metal fatigue.

  7472. #7472cfherrman2023-11-25 09:54

    I still remember the first time I seen one run backwards and a guy sayi.g yeah if you kill them right they do that. I was like "what!"

  7473. #7473Truck Shop2023-11-25 14:13

    Trucks years ago didn't always come with keyed ignition, it's common for old petes to only have a toggle switch and starter button. The only key to my 66 pete was the door locks. * Any truck dash or control panel that has a lever/T handle/ knob with a label that says-- {Emergency Shutdown} should tell you something---{I'm driving or operating a piece of ****}.

  7474. #7474cfherrman2023-11-25 15:59

    Not sure why that have a handle like that, when you pull it out it does nothing, other end is broken

  7475. #7475Pops522023-11-25 16:03

    TS, my 72 came with just the toggle for ignition but the owner put a keyed switch in it's place (see pic) AND a 2 prong Cat switch inside the frame below the fuel pump. And, as far as I'm concerned, this dash was the best ever. Jake switch far top left where it belonged....

  7476. #7476Truck Shop2023-11-25 20:04

    Agree-my 66 was the same, even came with 335 and 5 x 4.

  7477. #7477BSAA65LB2023-11-26 17:47
  7478. #7478Truck Shop2023-11-26 20:01

    I wondered when you would post that.

  7479. #7479Truck Shop2023-11-26 21:19

    Here's a conversation/demonstration piece a guy in Othello owns/built. 1091 cu.in Hall Scott. He takes it to car, truck and antique tractor shows and runs it for the crowd, has a nice tone at about 1200 rpm. He has it up for sale. *

  7480. #7480Pops522023-11-26 21:46

    Still on butane? Or propane these days.

  7481. #7481Truck Shop2023-11-26 21:51

    Haven't seen it run in a long time, IIRC it was just gas.

  7482. #7482BSAA65LB2023-11-27 08:48
  7483. #7483kshansen2023-11-27 11:12

    I recall having some old "Gas" Macks with ignition coil like the ones on that Hall-Scott

  7484. #7484crane operator2023-11-29 22:27

    I would need this, like I need another hole in my head. But its only $10,000. Looks like heavy planetary rears. 1979 Pacific winchtruck​ $10,000 Listed 2 weeks ago in Stratford, OK Driven 100,000 miles Manual transmission Exterior color: Red · Interior color: Brown Fuel type: Diesel Seller's Description​ 79 pacific winch truck recon 400 cummins 15 over Tran an 1841 auxiliary Tulsa 100 winch extendable poles serious winch truck text

  7485. #7485skyking12023-11-29 23:37

    if it's so serious, pick something up like a trio of ecology blocks or something. Sheesh! That would follow me home if it were not such a haul.

  7486. #7486Truck Shop2023-11-30 10:36

    Drop that cab smash it flat! Good thing about that Pacific--it doesn't have a sad sack Allison automatic. * *

  7487. #7487Truck Shop2023-11-30 19:52

    It only has three axles so it's gone thru life a wiener truck-it has no drop axle it's not a HE Man truck.

  7488. #7488skyking12023-11-30 22:10

    lotsa shiny stuff there. It's plenty big to push those mini excavators around.

  7489. #7489crane operator2023-11-30 22:21

    I'm out on the shiny ford. There aren't even steps on the fuel tank. Truck shop must have finally found his love for the blue ovals? That angled engine has finally caught your eye with its inherent beauty and visual esthetic? I've developed my love for the rattling doors, and the smokers windows that rust shut.

  7490. #7490skyking12023-11-30 22:50

    Mine has the steps and I can still muscle my wing windows open. It takes both hands tho.

  7491. #7491Truck Shop2023-12-01 07:29

    Your 6' 8" you don't need steps.

  7492. #7492Hank R2023-12-01 07:35

    Go Pacific go Pacific

  7493. #7493Truck Shop2023-12-01 07:45

    Problem now the engine is sharper looking than the rest-I guess I can spend some on/off time cleaning it up. *

  7494. #7494Truck Shop2023-12-01 07:48

    One thing that was always fun about driving a tow truck----was telling a driver {sooner or later I'll have you on the Hook} even tow trucks end up on the hook.

  7495. #7495mowingman2023-12-01 08:37

    Those look a lot like "Sunward" machines. At least the blue color seems to match.

  7496. #7496Old Doug2023-12-01 08:42

    There is several old trucks for sale on FB marketplace its a good thing i am not rich i would own one i think.

  7497. #7497Truck Shop2023-12-01 08:55

    I know the old guy selling this odd ball Marmon P-57 model, he bought it new in 1991, 12.7L. Has 1.4 million on it, he wants 15K for it. Marmon didn't produce many of the 57's. *

  7498. #7498skyking12023-12-01 09:20

    Slim drove a Marmon for Basil Keeny, hauling Budweiser beer. If I find a scanned picture I will post it for detective work.

  7499. #7499Truck Shop2023-12-01 10:02

    It's oddball because of the set back axle.

  7500. #7500Truck Shop2023-12-02 09:40

    A 1953 West Coaster I photo'd some 7-8 years ago now, still runs NH220 5 x 3. The old guy who owned it was just about totally deaf, it was real hard to converse with him. I posted this on a FB classic truck page which caused a stir {wanting to know where it is} It can just stay where it is it's history true old school with a stack mirror. Keep their grubby mitts off it. *

  7501. #7501Truck Shop2023-12-02 09:50

    A #14 IIRC with a 6-71. *

  7502. #7502Truck Shop2023-12-02 10:17
  7503. #7503Pops522023-12-02 11:21

    Cant remember if I posted this one or not, oh well....

  7504. #7504skyking12023-12-02 23:29

    Found it. Not much of a picture though.

  7505. #7505BSAA65LB2023-12-04 15:55
  7506. #7506Truck Shop2023-12-04 19:44

    59-860 Jimmy that had the hood lengthened in East L.A. powered by a 550 hp C15 Cat. They did a nice job. *

  7507. #750756wrench2023-12-05 11:14

    That is one unique looking truck

  7508. #7508skyking12023-12-05 11:39

    Yes, it looks like it belongs in a movie. I'm not kidding. It could go into one of those mad Max movies. Natch.

  7509. #7509Truck Shop2023-12-05 17:07

    I said East L.A. but it really was built in Floida. There south americans are good at sheet metal work. There is several Ford F 800's down there that have had the same treatment. This one just needs a finish paint job and a stack along with air cleaner at back of cab.

  7510. #7510Truck Shop2023-12-09 16:32

    This how chains that don't fit are made to fit, USB cord. Caught and ticketed by WSP at chain up area for not having proper equipment. *

  7511. #7511crane operator2023-12-09 16:41

    I saw this today, and thought of this thread.

  7512. #7512Truck Shop2023-12-09 16:52

    Let me guess there were plenty of bull **** stories about the Monfort Lane---99% lies built up trucker garbage total fiction absolutely baseless. * Pill heads is what they were, hyped up on crosstops & beaners. I knew a women who was married to a Monfort driver, I say WAS. He would come home and spend 12 hours trying to get to sleep. According to her it was standard practice.

  7513. #7513Pops522023-12-09 17:02

    I always enjoyed the Coors fleet & the paint schemes.

  7514. #7514Truck Shop2023-12-09 17:12

    111.

  7515. #7515Pops522023-12-09 17:17

    Paccar's ID code??

  7516. #7516Oxbow2023-12-09 17:28

    He had them on inside out too. Judging from the look of the lower camlock and the one cross link he has a twist. Might have just barely had enough to hook if they were put on correctly.

  7517. #7517Truck Shop2023-12-09 17:30

    No-I post 111 when I have to erase a post because it wouldn't post correctly. I just found a current as in today I believe Video of a major snow storm pileup. Trucks and cars slamming into the tail of the crash at 50 to 60 plus--a meat grinder. Another reason not to have a CDL---Americans CAN"T DRIVE.

  7518. #7518Truck Shop2023-12-09 17:32

    Correct-was waiting for the HEF photo inspection. The new hero's of the road.

  7519. #7519skyking12023-12-09 17:53

    It made me think of one of those right at the top Westbound, an empty 53' flatbed jacknifed just as you crest over and start down onto the elevated road. We were in the middle of the mix about 100 yards from him, and as holes opened up I kept easing forward into the gaps and watched the carnage in the mirrors. We escaped all damage and after the dust settled there was about 8' behind him to sneak around and we all did, those of us not in the pileup. I am not sure he even hit anybody but we were not sticking around to see.

  7520. #7520Truck Shop2023-12-09 18:25

    Winter is just getting started--the carnage will intensify, mean while I will stay in the shop or home by the heater.

  7521. #7521Truck Shop2023-12-09 18:32

    This should have been 30 likes--only told the truth, OO's & fleet OTR were some of the biggest pill poppers of the time--hypocrites babble quacking about the worthless drugged out hippies & how unamerican hippies were, pot calling the kettle black.

  7522. #7522Truck Shop2023-12-09 20:25

    It just doesn't sound right does it? Chrome tipped cowboy boots, yoked shirts with pearl snaps, cowboy cut black jeans/pants, hair combed back early 50's style or flattop hair cut, cat or cummins buckle on a fancy belt just driven along listening to Waylon---with two hit's of speed and half a thermos of coffee in his belly.

  7523. #7523Truck Shop2023-12-09 20:31

    One of the big reasons we have the laws we have today, because of abuses yesterday.

  7524. #7524Pops522023-12-09 20:58

    Waylon was the only thing that caught my eye there TS.

  7525. #7525Truck Shop2023-12-09 21:02

    Oh I expect it to rub the wrong way.

  7526. #7526Pops522023-12-09 21:08

    Trivia: did y’all know Waylon was Buddy Hollie’s bass player the night Buddy s plane crashed?

  7527. #7527Truck Shop2023-12-09 21:11

    Old news to me.

  7528. #7528colson042023-12-09 21:27

    America's oilfield ran on speed too. So did half of Blue Collar America.

  7529. #7529Truck Shop2023-12-09 21:36

    Difference was, were they motivating along on the Intrastate? And none of it is to be normalized. It's the reason for drug free work place, started way back.

  7530. #7530Pops522023-12-09 21:43

    I remember in the late 60s, lots of drivers named Benny.

  7531. #7531Truck Shop2023-12-09 21:48

    I can count three, it ruined their lives plus hard on the families. It's why I refer to trucking as a racket.

  7532. #7532Pops522023-12-09 21:56

    I knew 2 that died of heart failure before their 50th.

  7533. #7533Oxbow2023-12-09 22:29

    And yet they were no less safe than today's drivers with their foot on the dash, watching a movie on their phone.

  7534. #7534skyking12023-12-09 23:30

    I was getting pictures and files off my old laptop last night, and I found my sister's scratch pancake recipe. Then I spotted a folder titled "brownies" Yum. I open it up and find these images. I love the hand written notes on weight, length, and torque. At one time I had the harebrained idea of putting a brownie behind the auto on my 2nd gen Cummins Dodge.

  7535. #7535JaredV2023-12-10 02:18

    You wouldn't have wanted the 5831. Straight cut gears in OD makes quite a howl. I put one in my little '52 IH dump truck. I like it except for that. Fortunately I have no need to make any long trips in it.

  7536. #7536Truck Shop2023-12-10 03:16

    Correct, the same level of moron just one was a good ol boy.

  7537. #7537Truck Shop2023-12-10 04:03

    Just like the Floyd R Turbo ND moron Carson depicted. *

  7538. #7538skyking12023-12-10 13:39

    that is exactly what drove me off that idea. I heard that they were rackety, and anyone with a 6BT does not want MORE noise.

  7539. #7539Truck Shop2023-12-10 19:46
  7540. #7540Truck Shop2023-12-10 19:48
  7541. #7541Oxbow2023-12-10 20:05

    I can't tell; is that a 3408? Could be 3208 I guess.

  7542. #7542Truck Shop2023-12-10 20:17

    No that's a crank braking 3408-343 IIRC.

  7543. #7543skyking12023-12-11 00:00

    there's a lot going on with that truck, the chrome, the chickenstick mirrors. I like that cat on the left side, meow!

  7544. #7544Truck Shop2023-12-11 04:55

    It's a typical east coast rig, covered in pots and pans. Bumper guide's, fender spot mirrors & mud flaps hanging in front of steer tires with lots of nick/nacky chrome handles & knobs. The one item that I never could understand why it was ordered-spot lights. I don't really know anyone that had them ever used them, I think it was just more chrome fodder than much else.

  7545. #7545JaredV2023-12-11 08:49

    I use em occasionally. Mainly when I drive into a pit in the woods in the dark and I'm trying to figure out where the last guy left the excavator. Oh there it is, up on that bench where my headlights won't shine. Assuming they work, that is.

  7546. #7546Truck Shop2023-12-11 09:18

    I have a light very similar to this in the tow truck for spot lighting. *

  7547. #7547Old Doug2023-12-11 20:38

    I can see were one would be handy but i dont like making holes in my trucks. I bought a cop car with one on it i would like to put it on my yard truck but i would have to figure out were and how not to get it torn off.

  7548. #7548Truck Shop2023-12-12 18:50
  7549. #7549Truck Shop2023-12-12 18:52

    Above--A perfect tractor with only what is necessary, one stack.

  7550. #7550Norcal wrench5302023-12-12 20:42

    1954 B MODEL MACK FOR SALE Im sure someone would love to get a hold of this truck. Pretty sweet

  7551. #7551Truck Shop2023-12-12 21:04

    That's a cool one with the cat power, I know a guy in Bend that has seen that truck, it's in good condition. * I had one but it's gone.

  7552. #7552skyking12023-12-12 22:13

    I could break my habit for something like that. It is a sweet rig.

  7553. #7553petepilot2023-12-12 23:37

    Chicken sticks included

  7554. #7554Truck Shop2023-12-13 04:46

    Nice Pete--Pete. everything but the sticks, JMO.

  7555. #7555Truck Shop2023-12-13 05:15

    40 year plus driver wanted bumper guides on one of the companies new T990's he was getting. So boss let him have them, I ordered and installed them. Three weeks later I ordered a new KW replacement bumper at the cost of $1,800 and threw the sticks in the scrap bin. In less than one year after all 5 new T 990's hit the road I replaced 4 bumpers out of 5 $7.200 on bumpers----How would the members of HEF like to absorb that kind of wallet rash and that's just a small/pittance of the kind of crap torn up in a fleet of 65 tractors. By years end on average the amount of rash adds up to the cost of 1 new tractor-$210,000 plus/minus and that doesn't include what is turned in to insurance. T990 below. *

  7556. #7556Oxbow2023-12-13 05:26

    While I don't want to make excuses for poor drivers I wonder if there is something in the optics sitting in the seat of a 990 that leads to this. Did you have similar damage on the Freightliners?

  7557. #7557Truck Shop2023-12-13 05:47

    In the 20 years there I don't know how many bumpers I installed. The Coronado gliders--If I bought less than 30 bumpers I would be surprised-Those were $1,750 each and we had 24 gliders. The Herd elk bumpers I replaced the mounting hardware on damn near every Cascadia we had, some three times from drivers pulling up in parking lots bending them on high curbing. Cost for mounts $800.00 each. I replaced no less than 11 bumpers at the tune of $ 2,900 each without mounting hardware. Very few, like maybe 2 were bent from animal contact. * Until someone sees the carnage first hand working in a fleet shop, they have no clue as too the damage incurred by drivers of any age for {various} more than likely stupid actions/reasons. * Towards the end, the last three years much of my time was spent repairing trashed/thrashed equipment. I would say some weeks up to 40% of that weeks labor went to repairing torn up tractors/trailers.

  7558. #7558Truck Shop2023-12-13 06:09

    One thing for sure--drivers will make a good fabricator out of the average mechanic, better be able to cut your way in and weld your way out.

  7559. #7559petepilot2023-12-13 09:15
  7560. #7560skyking12023-12-13 11:16

    That Ford I drive, the bumper got trashed a bit on the right by the guy before me. I just pulled it straight enough until that loader Taco-Timed it good. Paul forgot the hoe pack was there and pulled into it.

  7561. #7561Dom2023-12-13 13:53

    Truck Shop, when fixing trucks was it common to glue parts? My uncle worked in a body shop for a trucking company and they glued hoods and other items. After a while they barely used a welder. It was expensive glue at $300 a tube 10 years ago.Trucks going to NewFoundland would hits mooses once in a while. Big impacts.

  7562. #7562Truck Shop2023-12-13 16:25

    Fiberglass.

  7563. #7563BSAA65LB2023-12-14 08:59
  7564. #7564stinky642023-12-14 10:01

    Don't get me started on the stupidity that is the union freight haulers destruction machine. Every dock worker, yard rat and driver has a vendetta against the equipment with no accountability for anything. There was a particularly large bullseye on roll up doors, 50 cent roller out of the track, open that door with a fork lift and put the door through the roof, brilliant. Don't know how many times I heard the dumbass remark "we're in the freight shipping business, not the truck fixing business.

  7565. #7565Truck Shop2023-12-14 17:37

    The reply should have been ---{how much freight did you damage today?}

  7566. #7566Truck Shop2023-12-15 06:42

    I guess it was in 2021--Sysco and US. Foods leased parking space in the yard. It was hot out at 5:30 am so doors up on the shop. About 6 Jeff and I heard this racket in the yard, a US Foods leaving with lift gate still on the ground, he drove almost 5 miles before he was alerted by a cop. Reason I know it was 5 miles one of our drivers left the yard about 15 minutes after him and spotted the blues.

  7567. #7567stinky642023-12-15 10:24

    Couldn't see the sparks-was probably too light by then, couldn't hear the racket- A/C on high and radio full blast, Couldn't feel the drag-just plain dumbass. Same caliber as yard rat who drags a set of doubles around the yard until he burns through a brand new set of trailer tires right through the steel belts and loses air. Came into the shop said he had a flat tire, when confronted said he didn't feel the tail wagon dragging on dry pavement. F-tard didn't even have air connected to the tail. And as you know all too well this was an every day occurrence.

  7568. #7568Truck Shop2023-12-15 19:58

    Common years ago despite the other thoughts of water for brakes, Herrett/GEM Trucking in Sunnyside ran fuel tanks mounted behind cab on allot of their trucks, that was in the 40's 50's 60's. But Herrett didn't have anything much newer than a 55 also *

  7569. #7569Oxbow2023-12-15 21:48

    I like the sanders!

  7570. #7570Truck Shop2023-12-16 18:02

    Finished engine stand---added chain hoist. Now to install removeable swing out tool tray. *

  7571. #7571Truck Shop2023-12-16 20:22

    This engine stand is really kind of funny, it makes it easier for me to build engines for people who want keep 40 year old worn out trucks on the road creating smoke and stink.

  7572. #7572Junkyard2023-12-16 20:26

    That is slick! Excellent work

  7573. #7573Truck Shop2023-12-16 20:27

    Better working conditions and aids make for good results.

  7574. #7574Junkyard2023-12-16 20:31

    Absolutely. I’ve been slowly building a cylinder bench in my head. That crane setup just solved a problem for me!

  7575. #7575Truck Shop2023-12-16 20:44

    Years go I built a table with drain for disassembly of automatics-solvent tank/washer in middle and clean table/bench for assembly on the other side--all parts stayed in one area, less working issues.

  7576. #7576Junkyard2023-12-16 21:02

    I need to do the same, we take care of quite a few dump trucks and they can sure tear stuff up. Have an old FL in the shop now rebuilding the rear third member, old Rockwells. We’re all the time doing cylinders for one thing or another. Putting a Pete back together that got laid on it side a few weeks ago. Always something

  7577. #7577BSAA65LB2023-12-17 10:28
  7578. #7578Truck Shop2023-12-17 12:11

    All perfectly legal. *

  7579. #7579kshansen2023-12-17 14:44

    Might want to add a chain or two to that load!

  7580. #7580Pops522023-12-17 16:19

    Digging equipment and hauling equipment have sure changed........

  7581. #7581Truck Shop2023-12-17 18:34

    Profound.

  7582. #7582Truck Shop2023-12-17 18:43

    Winters here--time for truck wrecks. *

  7583. #7583Truck Shop2023-12-17 19:09

    What you can't hook to you shove. *

  7584. #7584Oxbow2023-12-19 20:40

    I laughed at this, hope you all do as well:

  7585. #7585westerner2023-12-19 21:07

    The snow plow fleet sure did teach me this, right quick like...

  7586. #7586skyking12023-12-19 21:10

    looks like the Jay Leno model.

  7587. #7587Truck Shop2023-12-19 21:22

    Somebody already ran that one.

  7588. #7588Truck Shop2023-12-19 21:28

    Big chin wouldn't know what to do with it.

  7589. #7589Oxbow2023-12-19 21:30

    My apologies. I guess I need to spend more time keeping up and less time working.

  7590. #7590Truck Shop2023-12-19 21:45

    It was posted some where else on hef in the last week or so IIRC, the work pays hef doesn't.

  7591. #7591Oxbow2023-12-19 21:53

    Maybe this is where I saw it. I was telling my son about it today and went to find it to share it with him.

  7592. #7592Truck Shop2023-12-20 07:23

    BV posted it.

  7593. #7593Truck Shop2023-12-21 19:10

    CANbus ob is located just inside the kick board, green five pin, early day diagnostics for jimmy in 1917. get your lab coat. *

  7594. #7594BSAA65LB2023-12-22 08:48
  7595. #7595Truck Shop2023-12-22 09:03

    Only one truck cab has any room in that photo--------------------------------------------.

  7596. #7596Pops522023-12-22 10:22

    I notice there’s no forklift hangin off the back……

  7597. #7597crane operator2023-12-22 10:44

    Put pipes under it when you load it, then when onsite, back up and tap them brakes briskly.......

  7598. #7598Pops522023-12-22 12:11

    Almost 50 years ago, an old timer told me when he was young, he was a hod carrier. When the truck load of bricks came in, the driver would grab a stack of several bricks and drop/throw them off the truck and the guy on the ground better catch them. He said it was a job for young strong men....

  7599. #7599Truck Shop2023-12-22 16:42

    six trucks and not one worth a ****.

  7600. #7600Pops522023-12-22 17:27

    Wonder which of those drivers is the boss’s son?

  7601. #7601Truck Shop2023-12-22 17:32

    That's what I was pointing at in post 7,596.

  7602. #7602Pops522023-12-22 17:56

    I'm slow sometimes......

  7603. #7603Truck Shop2023-12-22 18:02

    1933 KW with first Cummins HA-4A diesel headed for Calif-it passed carb. *

  7604. #7604cfherrman2023-12-23 14:36

    I lost this thread for 20 days. I'm glad someone agrees with me on this, 1 exit on the engine should have 1 stack.

  7605. #7605Truck Shop2023-12-23 15:49

    Most of us old guys do.

  7606. #7606Pops522023-12-23 16:39

    Here too. 1 stack 1 air cleaner, 1 horn and 1 driver!

  7607. #7607Truck Shop2023-12-23 16:54

    When I was at Tate I use to love trolling the drivers for reaction, most all had OCD. Everything had to be matched/balanced two of everything. I use tell them the new trucks are coming in next month. Painted olive drab with white steel wheels, one stack mounted on the left side. No visors & aluminum wheels only on steer. Manual windows with cab A/C only, sleeper is a sweat box and you need to lose weight. Drivers would high tail to the office-phone would ring, {Would you stop bugging the drivers? No not until you hire some real ones instead of the bed wetter's you've been hiring.

  7608. #7608cfherrman2023-12-23 18:09

    Haha that is really funny, 1 air cleaner sounds like 50% less chance your engine can get dusted over 2

  7609. #7609materthegreater2023-12-26 19:35

    Saw a herd of old girls out to pasture today

  7610. #7610Acoals2023-12-26 21:05

    No snow in Vermont either?

  7611. #7611Shimmy12023-12-26 21:36

    Holy **** my ears are hurting just imagining the noise from those animals.

  7612. #7612materthegreater2023-12-26 21:43

    We got 3" of rain last Monday. That took care of all the snow in short order. And it made rivers go where they don't belong.

  7613. #7613Acoals2023-12-26 21:46

    It has been 50* and raining for the last two days; far Northern Wisconsin. I keep wondering if I accidentally teleported to Maryland or something . . .

  7614. #7614materthegreater2023-12-26 22:08

    Thankfully it hasn't been 50 here, but it's been in the upper 30s and not supposed to freeze at night until the end of the week. Mud season isn't supposed to happen until March at the earliest.

  7615. #7615Truck Shop2023-12-27 17:56

    I can't stand rolling **** houses--but this would make a interesting one built on a late 4x4 chassis. *

  7616. #7616petepilot2023-12-27 18:18
  7617. #7617crane operator2023-12-27 19:49
  7618. #7618Truck Shop2023-12-27 21:28

    That's a LW-848, the LW models had off highway steel cabs. Could also be a LW-924 only major difference was frame.

  7619. #7619cfherrman2023-12-27 22:05

    Definitely looks like fun

  7620. #7620petepilot2023-12-28 18:56

    Wonder what the back story is on that one

  7621. #7621Truck Shop2023-12-28 19:01

    Looks intentional--when you look where it's setting.

  7622. #7622JaredV2023-12-28 20:54

    It's right hand drive. Down under?

  7623. #7623Truck Shop2023-12-28 21:09

    or NZ.

  7624. #7624Truck Shop2023-12-30 21:37
  7625. #7625Truck Shop2023-12-30 21:41
  7626. #7626crane operator2023-12-31 13:58

    Serious old lowboy.

  7627. #7627Truck Shop2023-12-31 13:59

    That looks very British old chum.

  7628. #7628Acoals2023-12-31 17:37

    Looks like solid tires?

  7629. #7629kshansen2023-12-31 18:15

    Could be: Pickfords - Wikipedia en.wikipedia.org Says the first mention of them was in 1630! And they helped in part with Normanday landings: In 1942, the heavy haulage division moved Mulberry harbour sections (temporary harbour) to sea launchings prior to them being towed across the English Channel for the Normandy landing

  7630. #7630Acoals2023-12-31 18:19

    "Pickfords". Sounds about at British as a cup of tea . . .

  7631. #7631Truck Shop2023-12-31 18:22

    I say old chum lets start a heavy haulage ltd. *

  7632. #7632Truck Shop2023-12-31 18:42

    Lets see I left at 12:35 for a tow, finished that back at shop by 2:35. Nice Sunday afternoon rescue along highway 11. Something to break the day up, haul it to Pasco on Tuesday, radiator split the sheets.

  7633. #7633Truck Shop2023-12-31 21:40

    In the 60's Ford produced several one off cars-odd configurations custom ordered. During the period of 1963 to 1969 Fords High Performance sector would build about anything. The 1966 ans 67 Fairlanes were some strange offerings, The GT & GTA was only offered with the 390. To get a 427 you had to buy a Fairlane 500, odd and only offered in 67. Below in the video is a very strange one off custom order that was passed through by a Detroit mover & shaker in those days. It's a long vid and slightly drab but gives the idea of what could be had in those years. I was a 66/67 Fairlane guy, owned three. *

  7634. #7634Hank R2024-01-05 13:34

    I got from my friend Steve, I knew Cliff Kendall when I worked there. I found a couple of pictures, they aren't the best quality, the P10 is in Ram Creek headed to the Elko mill, l would guess around 1970. The P12 is one of the last that Fred bought, early 80's. as you can see it had a cat engine, we were doing a job at Cominco in Kimberly around 2002, Cliff Kendall was the driver in both pictures, there were 2 P12s with cat engines, #35 and #36, the P 10 became #8 after they took the rigging off and put a coal box on, l was on #8 when l started working for Fred in 79, it was one of the few p10s that didn't have 5th gear blocked off, I was visiting Cliff at the home and he has these pictures on his wall, his memory is getting sketchy, except when he is talking about hauling logs or coal or lumber , he actually started trucking with his dad who had a couple of lumber trucks, they hauled from the small mills in the bush to the planer in town. Steve

  7635. #7635Acoals2024-01-05 14:30

    That Dayton wheel on the steer of the dump is interesting; 6 spokes with two nuts each . . .

  7636. #7636Truck Shop2024-01-05 15:06

    Not for 25,000 lb plus steer axle. The drives are 90,000 lb double reduction.

  7637. #7637mekanik2024-01-05 16:44

    There were lots of off highway logging trucks around here at one time. Those rears look like Clark BD90000 axles. The trucks that worked in the mountains ran 15.033:1 ratio, the ones that worked on the less steep country ran 13.298:1. I rebuilt a lot of them. We used to have to work on them a lot in the field. Doing brakes you pulled the planetary out then the big ring gear. then there was a plate that bolted to the planetary bolts and you used that to drag the wheel hub assembly away from the truck on an oily piece of plywood using the hitch on the service truck. You took the spring off the shoes and broke the bolts that held the lining on with a hammer and punch with the big cast shoes still in place then bolted new pads on. If the drums were worn there were oversized rollers and if they were not enough there were shims that you could put between the shoes and the pads. Once the brake was back together you carefully pushed the wheel hub assembly back in place with the back bumper of the service truck. I sure don't miss that bull work now!

  7638. #7638Truck Shop2024-01-05 17:31

    Rebuilt two sets that were hauled in to a old place of employment, no kidding allot of work.

  7639. #7639Truck Shop2024-01-05 17:58

    Another relic built in Washington State. *

  7640. #7640crane operator2024-01-05 19:32

    Saw this for sale, advertised as a 1972 KW. Looks like heavy front end. Says P10 on the air cleaner.

  7641. #7641Truck Shop2024-01-05 19:48

    LW 848 with later 849 grille and hood, I've seen several versions of this where KW mixed body parts-what ever the customer wanted. But also Canadian built offered a wide choice.

  7642. #7642PeterP92024-01-05 19:51

    Looks to be a ex-Premay truck going off the colour scheme.

  7643. #7643Truck Shop2024-01-05 20:46

    Would make a good dump truck or tow/recovery truck.

  7644. #7644Truck Shop2024-01-05 21:53
  7645. #7645Truck Shop2024-01-06 06:56

    Drank my coffee, shower time to head to Pasco then Bonners Ferry.

  7646. #7646Oxbow2024-01-06 08:17

    Same here, except I'm headed to SLC to haul a Sany excavator back to the proud new owner.

  7647. #7647kshansen2024-01-06 10:41

    Some one needs to learn how to adjust buffer screws on some of those motors!

  7648. #7648crane operator2024-01-06 11:45

    Drive safe guys.

  7649. #7649Truck Shop2024-01-06 16:07

    Driver limped it to Petro at Cheney exit so a little shorter trip.

  7650. #7650Truck Shop2024-01-06 16:08

    Yeah they do--need to back it out a couple turns.

  7651. #7651Truck Shop2024-01-06 16:49

    1959--quad headlights, old one. The next showtime service truck.

  7652. #7652Truck Shop2024-01-06 20:11

    This truck didn't exist as a factory model. *

  7653. #7653petepilot2024-01-06 22:02
  7654. #7654Truck Shop2024-01-07 08:24

    1938 dodge that was altered as a cabover for various reasons I suppose, that cowl piece was hand hammered.

  7655. #7655Old Doug2024-01-07 12:30

    I would like to know the story behind the dodge.

  7656. #7656Truck Shop2024-01-07 19:45

    The Irony, a sightliner Cornbinder painted like a John Deere. *

  7657. #7657crane operator2024-01-07 19:56

    What if I'm wearing my short- shorts? I'm supposed to let everyone ogle my shapely legs, like Daisy Duke? Is this why Dmiller wants everyone driving ugly internationals? I never thought him for a peeper....

  7658. #7658Truck Shop2024-01-07 20:01

    Well back in 1958 IH thought all nuts should be sun baked & burnt. Yes DM was looking for one of these just like this one-549 gas powered too. Real slow for slow roasting nuts.

  7659. #7659Old Doug2024-01-08 08:12

    We have a 195? IH pickup that is JD green. It was owned by the local JD dealer . I dont know if they got it new but it was a pretty blue from the factory. It hasnt been shinny for years but it has one of the best resprays i have ever saw. It has stayed on great .

  7660. #7660Truck Shop2024-01-08 19:00
  7661. #7661Truck Shop2024-01-09 19:44
  7662. #7662Truck Shop2024-01-10 21:22

    This truck was spec'd purposely to haul the mighty Toro Dingo. *

  7663. #7663petepilot2024-01-12 22:28

    well well that truck used to belong to my neighbor not sure who owns it now . the logo on the trailer stands for harrisonburg motor express

  7664. #7664cfherrman2024-01-12 23:01

    I keep thinking of the box truck in real steel, it has one of those trucks

  7665. #7665Old Doug2024-01-13 08:54

    It looks like a basic cab that they used there are more trucks that look like they just built a platform with fenders and set a cab they already had on top.

  7666. #7666Oxbow2024-01-13 09:39

    Ok, I'll admit it - I had no idea what a Toro Dingo was - looked it up. He he, yeah that ought to handle it..........probably inside the sleeper.

  7667. #7667Truck Shop2024-01-13 20:41

    This is a comfortable looking RSH, tin shanty shack. I doubt it has a inside crapper though, *

  7668. #7668Hank R2024-01-13 22:30

    Back in the day it was one of the best on the road.

  7669. #7669petepilot2024-01-13 22:41

    spare tire rack maybe

  7670. #767056wrench2024-01-14 09:21

    That old truck looks like an IHC. I don’t think the builder of the shack part was worried about aerodynamics though

  7671. #7671skyking12024-01-14 11:35

    Looking at that tin cab top, I think that may be the first walk back RSH. " honey go make me a sammich"

  7672. #7672stinky642024-01-14 11:41

    From the looks of that storm door, there just may be a bucket in the cab.

  7673. #7673Truck Shop2024-01-14 15:29

    Make me ride around in this pile-"you go make your own damn sammich"!

  7674. #767456wrench2024-01-15 09:39

    Although maybe during wartime it was a nice unit made from whatever was available

  7675. #7675mekanik2024-01-15 09:52

    Found this on a photo forum. Posted with the photographer's permission.

  7676. #7676Truck Shop2024-01-15 10:03

    South of the border trucks--lots of'em like that. I gave up on permission for photos--my stuff has been copied so many times.

  7677. #7677skyking12024-01-15 10:09

    That is a happy face in those colors.

  7678. #7678Truck Shop2024-01-15 10:11

    Yup everything positive, just a ray of sunshine, rainbows----looks desperate to me.

  7679. #7679skyking12024-01-15 10:23

    must be the chicken sticks, I missed those.

  7680. #7680Truck Shop2024-01-15 17:59

    Notice the license plate--------------------.

  7681. #7681mekanik2024-01-16 06:52

    Colombia

  7682. #7682Truck Shop2024-01-16 06:57

    Yeah, there and Venezuela are two common places for truck mods like that.

  7683. #7683Truck Shop2024-01-17 21:32

    DM staging at the track. * When he takes her to the track she always shines, always turns the fastest times, 10 spd, dual quad, posi traction, 549. *

  7684. #7684Truck Shop2024-01-17 21:35

    Venezuelan converted IH. *

  7685. #768556wrench2024-01-18 09:46

    Are all those convex mirrors on the rh side to see if anyone is riding on the running board?

  7686. #7686Truck Shop2024-01-18 17:06

    The exhaust is over there, mirrors are to keep an eye on the pig cracklings cooking.

  7687. #7687stinky642024-01-18 17:45

    Make sure the street banditos aren't getting into the slow cooker.

  7688. #7688skyking12024-01-19 02:24

    she's real fine my 549 ooo weeoo ooh

  7689. #7689Truck Shop2024-01-19 08:52

    Deutz powered Diamond REO. *

  7690. #7690Acoals2024-01-19 21:08

    That just takes ugly to an art form . . .

  7691. #7691Truck Shop2024-01-20 09:41

    Can't claim--can't see where your going.

  7692. #7692mowingman2024-01-20 09:45

    I think that ugly looking model was built after Diamond Reo became "Diamond Reo Giant". Not sure, but I seem to remember some advertisements for those from Giant. I don't think they built very many of them.

  7693. #7693Truck Shop2024-01-20 09:45

    Was slick down 12 & 730 last night along the river. A nice evening tow, which I will finish this morning.

  7694. #7694Truck Shop2024-01-20 10:12

    This is a custom contractors special. *

  7695. #7695skyking12024-01-20 11:43

    that's a tasteful bed job at least. cut up two to make one 10' bed. No doubt it has a split down the middle and they probably used the bed metal from the sacrificial bed to get it that wide. I'd like to see the tailgate FOOOORD

  7696. #7696cfherrman2024-01-20 12:07

    Finally a reason to get a cab over

  7697. #7697skyking12024-01-20 12:12

    I especially like the "falling out the door and busting your caboose" option that is always available.

  7698. #7698Truck Shop2024-01-20 16:29

    I like the fact it proves--if it's stupid an american will build it.

  7699. #7699Truck Shop2024-01-20 16:34

    The shop the boss built for Penske, didn't make the bays long enough. Can't get a truck and A train/ or 53' together in a bay and work on both at same time. *

  7700. #7700Truck Shop2024-01-20 16:35

    Wreck photo's from todays trip on Overload for the Day thread.

  7701. #7701Old Doug2024-01-20 21:31

    I wonder if a mechanic would have been there to give his 2 cents on the build? This really hits home with me the place were i have worked and am working part time is a deal . It has grown and expanded and grown some more. They have a building that they call the truck shop its more of a warehouse . It has been built on to several times . One side will hold a truck trailer but its need to store stuff . I think i could have done a better job but i always think that after its done and i can see the problem .

  7702. #7702Truck Shop2024-01-20 21:53

    Really it's about trying to hoist 270 lbs of biscuits, gravy and plumbers crack up that high.

  7703. #7703skyking12024-01-20 22:28

    I far too closely resemble that remark!

  7704. #7704BSAA65LB2024-01-22 10:12
  7705. #7705Truck Shop2024-01-22 16:11

    Clarbin hooded Stude.

  7706. #770656wrench2024-01-23 11:04

    seems like the guy that designed the grille and the front edge of the hood wasn’t on speaking terms with the rest of the team

  7707. #7707Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:46

    Clariben hooded Stude.

  7708. #7708Truck Shop2024-01-23 11:51

    Clariben made tilt hoods for a variety of trucks years ago, such as this 50's B75. *

  7709. #7709Truck Shop2024-01-26 18:06

    47 LMSWM--LJ, 511 built, 15 left. *

  7710. #7710Truck Shop2024-01-27 21:41

    One year with that grille-1935. *

  7711. #7711Truck Shop2024-01-27 21:44

    Although there have been claims made--GM never installed the 12V71 in the MH 9500. GMC or Chevrolet 9500's only came with the 8V-71, none were ever recorded with the 12. *

  7712. #7712Truck Shop2024-01-30 08:43

    The MCI model 6-built between 1969 and 1970. 102" wide mainly ran in Canada and both U.S. coasts. 102" wasn't allowed in lower 48 till 1982, Feds allowed to run coastal areas. The real kicker about the 6 is the power-the only coaches ever built with 12V71's. In 1977 all 85 that were built were repowered with 8V71T's. *

  7713. #7713Truck Shop2024-02-04 20:25
  7714. #7714crane operator2024-02-04 20:49

    1960 White 5000​ $5,000 Listed 5 weeks ago in Arena, WI Seller's Description​ Rare white 5000 semi’s Fiberglass cabs. 2020 Cummings engine. 10 speed transmission full screw Hendrickson suspension. 10 for sale 1 is super rare. Buy all 10 for $50k or inquire for individual prices. Just think, you could corner the marked on old white cabovers, 10 of them for 1 low price

  7715. #7715Truck Shop2024-02-04 21:12

    Those were some real jewels, notorious for leaking water around windshields and roof caps. Read a story about Whites endeavor with the 5000, seat to steering wheel distance was for a dwarf, real uncomfortable for a 6' driver. Biggest draw back was---they were ugly. Pretty tough to find a cowboy dressed in his yoked/pearl snap shirt/booties with chrome tips wanting to pull a cattle trailer with one of those. * Try to find glass for one.

  7716. #7716Truck Shop2024-02-04 21:30

    One thing to really show how distorted the interior was look at the height of door to bottom of door glass. You climbed up the outside corner of cab to enter, IIRC the floor had a drop or recess of like three inches, so you had to step over that entering exiting. It was a weird truck to say the least. *

  7717. #7717Truck Shop2024-02-04 21:46

    White then spawned these units which ran through the mid 60's to early 70's. Slang term for one was {Japanese Freightliner}. *

  7718. #7718Old Doug2024-02-05 07:13

    Some farout stuff like these trucks look like they would have been a lot more problem to build back then maybe they weren't ?

  7719. #7719Truck Shop2024-02-05 19:56

    Factory photo from 1967, the first 359 with 1,444 sq in radiator and the 351 1050 sq in. *

  7720. #7720Truck Shop2024-02-06 18:10

    1963 Warner Swasey-AKA Duplex, with 1963 Holmes 850-40 ton unit. 230 Cummins, 5X4. For sale $30,000, low mileage always a tow unit. Will compete with a 60 Ton unit built in 2024. *

  7721. #7721Truck Shop2024-02-06 18:13
  7722. #7722mowingman2024-02-06 18:16

    Reminds me a lot of an old Hendrix. Any relationship between those two companies? Just a thought.

  7723. #7723Truck Shop2024-02-06 18:36

    Zero--just look alike. Budd sold that cab design to anyone, and only so much your going to put into a grille/hood to make much difference.

  7724. #7724Truck Shop2024-02-06 22:08

    https://www.tiktok.com/video/7332507522089176362

  7725. #7725cfherrman2024-02-07 00:37

    One thing is for sure if you hit a deer with that old truck you won't know it, the new model...

  7726. #7726OzDozer2024-02-07 03:16

    Isn't that an IH "Comfo-Vision" cab, built by the Chicago Manufacturing Company under contract to IH? Apparently the "Comfo-Vision" cab was actually designed by a Diamond T engineer, and when Diamond T heard IH was planning to design a new cabin, Diamond T offered IH the design, and told IH they would buy the cabs off them, if IH chose to run with it. IH did take up the design, and then sold the cab to anyone who had the folding readies.

  7727. #7727Truck Shop2024-02-07 07:39

    What are we ozdozer the proof reader for hef? The only way a person could post so much intricate material is setting with piles of books around the PC. BUDD built the first cabs along with Some ford trash. Knew a guy who worked for BUDD on the assembly line way back when.

  7728. #7728OzDozer2024-02-07 08:24

    TS, you ain't seen the multiple cabinets I've got full of information about nearly anything ever built. Plus 26 years of BS-ing on forums and picking interesting peoples brains, adds up to a big pile of information. My first truck in 1967 was an R-190 with the Comfo-Vision cab, 406 gasser (thirsty ol' b**ch that was!), 5 speed, 2 speed rear axle, 1 mpg loaded, 2mpg empty! But how I wish I had it now!!

  7729. #7729Truck Shop2024-02-07 08:32

    I knew a guy like that once---he was my dad----and he was full of ****.

  7730. #7730BSAA65LB2024-02-07 08:38

    And being a Duplex chassis, likely crude for even the standards of the day…….

  7731. #7731Truck Shop2024-02-07 09:01

    Hendrickson and Corbitt weren't much better--.

  7732. #7732Truck Shop2024-02-11 10:46

    I knew this guy----aka Phart Sack Eddy. I've told the story of Phart Sack many times and most thought the story was untrue. I was digging through old news stories and found this article about Phart Sack running over the scale house which verifies the story. Really we just called him Scale House Eddy. *

  7733. #7733Truck Shop2024-02-13 20:00
  7734. #7734skyking12024-02-13 23:29

    Somebody killed my scale shack where I figured out the 120 position on the tilt trailer. I found out later it was never closer than about 500 pounds to reality at best. We presume they got ticked off after getting a ticket there, and they returned and backed into it and knocked it right off the foundation. That was the end of that! It is closed now, torn down and the pit filled with rock. It was a bummer as it was only a few minutes from the house.

  7735. #7735525isx2024-02-14 07:38

    Elk Plain- mountain hwy ! I hadn't been that way for a long time and as I got there, SURPRISE , no more scale !

  7736. #7736Truck Shop2024-02-14 08:26

    The two closest state scales are on Hyw 12, one just 1.5 miles out of town to the east, and the one at Wallula Junction--both scales are inoperative. Heading west on 12 from Idaho there really is no port-of-entry scale, until Bullfrog I-90 Cle Elum. I-82 Plymouth north is one. Now if in Oregon-there are several.

  7737. #7737Truck Shop2024-02-16 21:18
  7738. #7738Truck Shop2024-02-18 21:59

    ISEE Driverless yard trucks in operation at undisclosed location…. #trashytruckermedia #truckers #driverless #electricity #Workers #yarddog #yardmule #forkliftoperator #truckie #UK #lorrydriver #newsfeed #cdldriver #autonomousdriving #trucks | Trash ISEE Driverless yard trucks in operation at undisclosed location…. #trashytruckermedia #truckers #driverless #electricity #Workers #yarddog #yardmule #forkliftoperator #truckie #UK #lorrydriver... www.facebook.com

  7739. #7739stinky642024-02-19 11:38

    Probably still safer than hungover teamster behind the wheel. That should be an interesting application when the snow is piling up in front of the dock.

  7740. #7740Truck Shop2024-02-20 07:58

    I'll put this thought here--it fits in Vetechs {interesting thread} saga, but don't want to mutter it. * Businesses that have trucks that have or want their own maintenance/repair shop. Through the years-especially the last 27 both places of employment got the bright idea of creating/implementing the new age idea of making that part of the business a {Profit Center}. {I would like to kick the ******* bean counter who created that term right square in the nuts}. * It seems people in business can't leave well enough alone. About the time the shop starts getting a good handle on repairs and work level staying on a even keel, the creative money cogs start grinding in front offices. Never satisfied that their equipment/trucks are ready to go all the time, {Oh No Lets help everyone and make some MONEY to cover our wages and expenses}. Never mind the fact that when they hired the crew or one individual for the shop there was no intension of going retail.----Greed is what starts this thinking. * It always starts as {the owners friend has a motorhome and could you guys do a favor and take a look at it?}. And in most cases all this wise *** **** is cooked up on the back nine on a Saturday afternoon. Which if mainly working on trucks--the new {I just love using this lingo { Customer Base--base fiddle}. Two terms {Profit Center and Customer Base}----as soon as those enter a conversation/sentence hold on to your ***}. All slick *** terms to lull the blue collars in the shop into the possibilities of being a hero to the company by ruining the weekends they use to have to take care of the new {Customer Base} on Saturdays so the new {Customer Base} can be ready to run on Monday. {Overtime? what's that I didn't hear you--the front office suddenly becomes deaf. * I could go on--but it never fails, people in this line of business are always looking for a---------- Profit Center, never happy with just taking care of their own. The other {Local Market--My Local Market}--There is no market, it's just what some need at that point in time--nothing but talking points-and {Talking Points} fits right into front office politics. * All of this until something goes upside down--then the blame game starts.

  7741. #7741cfherrman2024-02-20 08:36

    You have to use girl math Saving money is the same as making money.

  7742. #7742Hank R2024-02-20 10:21

    Very well wrote TS, how true.

  7743. #7743Truck Shop2024-02-20 17:41

    Thanks.

  7744. #7744Truck Shop2024-02-20 17:43

    Now just what do you suppose these two guys who can't hear are up to? *

  7745. #7745cfherrman2024-02-20 18:47

    Testing the ol dirty Detroit on angles

  7746. #7746Truck Shop2024-02-20 18:57

    Looks a little more sinister than that---more like Simon Bar Sinister.

  7747. #7747Tugger22024-02-20 23:40

    One of the best times in my career was working for a logging contractor that wanted thier own rebuild shop in town,even though they had good shops in the camps as well. Outside work was not even considered when i was there,the company had lots for us to do. Myself as a welder fabricator and another fellow who was an old time Cat man were first hired and directed to equip the shop. we would go to auctions with the instructions of get what you think we need if its over 10 grand call the office before you buy it.This was the early 80s . We were able to attract the best of tradesman in Detroit,Cat, Madill and Americans mainly because of the owners forward thinking that dictated to let these guys in the shop do their work properly and for the most part unencumbered by financial constraints . Together we rebuilt ,built and created every thing from engines and powertrain, grapples from scratch ,painting and electrical. We even developed our own line of castings for Butt rigging and Shackles. The company enjoyed the benifits of top notch work at very reasonable cost . All because the shop stayed focussed on the company,not every tom ,dick n harry off the street. The good old days.

  7748. #7748BSAA65LB2024-02-21 08:37
  7749. #7749Truck Shop2024-02-21 08:44

    Shops like that are way more interesting from the employees stand point because the work is never quite the same, not to mention the raw ideas and constructing.

  7750. #7750Truck Shop2024-02-21 18:34

    The type of work I like best, one job I really liked doing for the company. When the owner finally gave the ok I had this 900 picked out for several reasons, mainly the power train. The frame lengthen and building the upper carriage for the wheel lift was allot of work but it made the days fly by. The thing about it is the amount of money saved from outside tows. Yeah it lost the engine in October but since back running it's made 7 more tows. *

  7751. #7751cfherrman2024-02-21 18:50

    I'd like to see the tow end of the truck if you can

  7752. #7752Truck Shop2024-02-21 18:54
  7753. #7753skyking12024-02-21 19:37

    ^ "hey you truck, c'mere fur-a minit!" @Tugger2 and @Truck Shop , in the good old days the boss had some pride in what the company was getting done. It was an entity and those shops were the heart of it. If that new lathe cost 15 grand it did not matter because he knew what his guys would accomplish with it. Bean counters started looking too close at every thing and nickel, and they thought that the ability to count beans meant they knew the business, which could not be farther from the truth. They knew how to mess up a wet dream is what they know well.

  7754. #7754Truck Shop2024-02-21 21:36

    This is actually a rare piece--FWD LD--Light Duty. I photo'd it 4 years ago. It will probably go to scrap. *

  7755. #7755mowingman2024-02-22 10:00

    Do you know what the truck was used for? Most of the old FWD trucks had snow plow/snow blowers on them. This truck does not look like it had all the framework for that use.

  7756. #7756Truck Shop2024-02-22 17:39

    That's what it was, Columbia County plow truck.

  7757. #7757petepilot2024-02-22 18:45

    Very similar to the one with the rusted out fuel lines I'm hunting

  7758. #7758Truck Shop2024-02-22 20:37

    This one just has a 6 cylinder gas, Waukesha IIRC.

  7759. #7759colson042024-02-22 20:58

    James E Fulton & Sons. Kalamazoo, Mich These guys have grown to be a pretty fair sized business not far from me. They still use the same paint scheme on all their trucks.

  7760. #7760Truck Shop2024-02-22 21:41

    Typical street backing to dock in big city, did some of that. *

  7761. #7761Truck Shop2024-02-22 21:58

    Worst dock I ever had to bump was the Old Pacific Produce downtown Vancouver BC. The lot was a triangle shape-pull to one point then back on the blind side at a adverse angle to dock normally between two trailers, I never had the luxury of bumping that dock during daylight hours, always in the dark and many times pouring rain. They made sure to put plenty of obstacles in the way-like pallet stacks.

  7762. #7762skyking12024-02-22 23:52

    ^ Every time I think I am a truck driver I think again. ^ That is the real skill and no room to spare.

  7763. #7763Truck Shop2024-02-23 01:54

    Friend-wheat farmer Dwight bought a 1987 FLC today for $4,000. 3406 350-has a blown 10 speed. Has a wet kit which he doesn't need, 230 WB on air ride, AC works, inside is in good condition. For the fact he is a ex Cat dealer mechanic, he will tear the engine down and do a complete rerate to 425 plus a little added fuel-he already has a RTLO high torque 13 speed. I ran across this told him about it and he ran over wrote a check. Plenty good truck for hauling grain. Photo for reference-not the truck. *

  7764. #7764skyking12024-02-23 10:11

    Wow what a deal!

  7765. #7765stinky642024-02-23 10:23

    Yuuch., mostly on back hauls, mostly to downtown Buffalo bumping a dock that was built in the 20"s or 30"s for 28 ft. trailers with a 53 and large car Pete, sometimes got lucky enough to have a 48. aahh good times. My Pops was a city driver for 40+ years and when I would tell where I'd delivered he would just bust out laughing, "you're the one who wanted to be a driver dumba$$"

  7766. #7766Tugger22024-02-23 10:23

    Every time im out in my Kenworth im quickly reminded that im no truck driver ,just a guy that owns a truck. I have a good friend that drives for me when we are moving things. His 40+ years of hauling logs and lowbedding makes the old truck perform wonderfully.

  7767. #7767skyking12024-02-23 10:26

    I love the look of a built up mixed equipment load like that. Get to gawking and drive off the road figuring it all out

  7768. #7768Truck Shop2024-02-23 12:21

    Yeah--the old produce terminals in California---built for a wheel barrow.

  7769. #7769Truck Shop2024-02-23 17:09

    Didn't sell very well. *

  7770. #7770Pops522024-02-23 18:50

    So do I @skyking1 ! It's what made the job interesting every once in a while. And no produce markets! Here's one from several years ago.

  7771. #7771Truck Shop2024-02-23 19:33

    When I worked construction--hauling equipment was easy--drive on chain down, unchain drive off.

  7772. #7772skyking12024-02-23 21:20

    @Truck Shop I found a picture of a similar Lorain truck crane that I worked on and around in 1980. The one we had was equipped with an Atlas ( I think ) gas engine in the lower, an 830 cube inline 6 that made 250 HP. It was a 1960 and I can't find anything on that engine. I remember it had a huge carb on it. It was a Moto 545 with the banana outriggers like this, dual steer axles, etc. Any idea who made that carrier? It had an air shift 5 speed and a 3 speed brownie. We took the counterweight off by lowering it down onto rails behind the cab, on little rollers. Push it away and swing around , and load it onto a truck. Often it was sent away in a tandem dump truck.

  7773. #7773cfherrman2024-02-23 21:24

    Idk but that's a pretty short crane Carrier

  7774. #7774skyking12024-02-23 21:27

    yes it sucked for the bridge rule I would bet. With the CW off it was 80,000, and was 10' wide with the outrigger boxes on. Those are the old banana out and downs that were a bastige to set dunnage under.

  7775. #7775Truck Shop2024-02-23 21:48

    In those years plus cranes being considered industrial-powered, my best guess would be either Waukesha or Continental both built large cu. in. gas and diesel for custom industrial equipment. & cranes are kind of custom. My best guess.

  7776. #7776skyking12024-02-23 21:53

    thanks, Continental works. Somehow I fixated on Atlas. 44 year old memories That one in the pictures has a C160 Cummins in the upper and undisclosed Cummins in the lower. Those diesels were probably still a premium in 1960. EDIT: Continental S-6820 820 Cubic inches. That lines up with my memories. https://www.numeralkod.com/cross/ar...head valve engine form no. ohm-660/part 1.pdf

  7777. #7777Old Doug2024-02-24 07:34

    Does anyone know if they made Stainless Steel door hinges for this model and if they did were i could get some?

  7778. #7778Truck Shop2024-02-24 08:22

    That's called the Freightliner Classic cab Doug, AKA-FLC120. As far as I know Freightliner only made steel hinges.

  7779. #7779RocketScott2024-02-24 09:46

    That's been gone for a while hasn't it? Last time I drove past that was around 10 years ago when I was building a house off 304th

  7780. #7780Truck Shop2024-02-25 17:51

    Camp 18 Elsie Oregon near Seaside. *

  7781. #7781skyking12024-02-25 17:53

    ^Great place for a meet up around here.^

  7782. #7782JaredV2024-02-25 18:48

    I've seen it but can't remember if that's a Caddy V8?

  7783. #7783Pops522024-02-25 19:26

    That is one helluva PTO!

  7784. #7784Truck Shop2024-02-25 20:51

    Why yes it is!

  7785. #7785Tugger22024-02-26 08:02

    The Mad Max special.

  7786. #7786OzDozer2024-02-26 09:09

    A 1936-1948 346ci flathead Cadillac, the first GM engine with hydraulic lifters. Those things are as heavy as a Cat diesel! They weigh 900 lbs!! I hate to think what that truck was like to steer!! I have one in my yard, it was one of two industrial engines installed in 1938 in a local theatre, to drive backup generators. The local power supply was a little unreliable back then, so the Cadillacs were there to ensure the show or movie went on, in the event of a blackout! The theatre was in the middle of the city and developers knocked it down in Feb 1974. The sad part is, they simply flattened everything, they dropped roof girders onto the Cadillac generators, smashing lots of the engines accessories, and then just sold them for scrap metal. The brother and I bought one from a scrap dealer around 1975, with the intention of using it as source of electric power on the gold mine we owned. But then we found the smashed carburettor and distributor weren't available any more, so it languished for 15 years in our yard in the country - and then when we sold the land in the country in 1990, I took it with me back to my workshop in the city. I bought a good used carburettor and distributor off eBay, plus other small parts, from sellers in the U.S., around about 2007-2010. I also acquired new valves and a new gasket set for it, but new pistons have become especially pricey for these engines, so it's still awaiting restoration.

  7787. #7787Truck Shop2024-02-28 21:43

    This company became Alcoa. A load of small bore V-8 engine blocks it appears. *

  7788. #7788OzDozer2024-02-29 03:21

    It's interesting to see how advanced metallurgy was, in the early days. The Lynite pistons were made from an extremely tough aluminium alloy containing copper, tin and zinc. The unique process involved in making this alloy was patented by a Frenchman, one Francis Alpha Cothias - in 1897! - and the process was named the Cothias Process, after the inventor. US586094A - Francis alpha cothias - Google Patents

  7789. #7789Truck Shop2024-02-29 08:33

    Alright---enough of the know it all arm chair professor sees all knows all crap. I'm not putting photo's up for you to set by and broadcast your library wisdom. One of the reasons I stopped this thread a ways back.

  7790. #7790Truck Shop2024-02-29 19:03

    A favorite--liked driving these models, the one on the hood. The Star wasn't bad either. *

  7791. #7791BSAA65LB2024-03-01 07:31
  7792. #7792stinky642024-03-01 16:36

    George Jones "The One I Loved Back Then"

  7793. #7793skyking12024-03-01 17:29

    some things never change. Love that water truck setup. I bet there is drawn grader somewhere on the haul road.

  7794. #7794Truck Shop2024-03-01 19:39

    This one here had some legs, and KW had some legs TOO. *

  7795. #7795skyking12024-03-01 21:24

    These wheels look too new for that imaginary grader. This looks more like it.

  7796. #7796Pony2024-03-02 05:45

    The legs weren't the first things that jumped out to me.

  7797. #7797DMiller2024-03-02 07:17

    Missed this post for almost a year, WOW! Loads of good stuff. Frt shakers we had in SLC late 79 were same style as Fhart Shacks, stack in the corner on a bell seat that never did. The rib sided MI tri axle dump trailer was as had a local customer of Mack STL, Gateway Redi-Mix, had a Tri Drive DM series V8 diesel two axle joe-dog and the twin to that trailer. Avg haul was 160K gross in St Louis county Commercial Zone, by axle weight only. I personally pulled and reinstalled two main drive shafts the driver back roll tootsie rolled in that Mack, Loaded, 1977.

  7798. #7798DMiller2024-03-02 07:18

    And the 190s with those Budd Cabs, uggh!

  7799. #7799Syleng12024-03-02 08:25

    Some of my toy trucks from that era. The Goodwrench is the newest find in the box. Last month. Love them ole cab overs…. Except working on them. They sucked getting underneath with the cab jacked up. Freaky in the wind. Anyhow thanks everyone for sharing. I only drove those to move them for repairs. Syleng1

  7800. #7800Truck Shop2024-03-02 08:39
  7801. #7801BSAA65LB2024-03-02 09:11

    I learned to run a grader on a Cat 12 with mechanical controls, no hydraulics. Then I spent some time on a Galion pull type grader getting drug around by a tired Farmall M. I was maintaining a dirt race track, parking areas and access roads. IMO, there would be better grader operators around if they learned how to run a pull type. It teaches you how to use the blade to do the work, not raw power. It also teaches a lot of finesse. And a hell of a lot of work!

  7802. #7802JaredV2024-03-02 10:19

    I demo'd a house built in 1916 and it had some newspapers in it. This was May 1920. Roberts Motors became Pape Kenworth 20ish years ago.

  7803. #7803Truck Shop2024-03-02 11:17

    Roberts sold a bunch of PacCar trucks, was one of the leading.

  7804. #7804Truck Shop2024-03-02 16:34

    take good look at the lead truck's drive wheels, must have brake issues of some sort. *

  7805. #7805Truck Shop2024-03-02 16:36

    St. Johns Motor Express, Tacoma Wa. 52 Freightliner some where in later 50's. *

  7806. #7806JaredV2024-03-02 17:39

    First thing that jumped out at me was the fenders and mudflaps. Chaining up never was easier.

  7807. #7807Truck Shop2024-03-02 20:00

    Two good photos of Cummins HB series 40's engine, non cross flow head. *

  7808. #7808Truck Shop2024-03-03 18:20

    1917 White truck and pup--couple weeks later it got a drop axle. *

  7809. #780992U 34062024-03-03 18:47

    That's roughly $650 daily in 2024 dollars? Pretty substantial.

  7810. #7810Truck Shop2024-03-03 18:53

    That statement with the photo is really questionable--equipment in those days was a handful to operate and keep operational, that stuff had a tendency to break down often. Early designs full of flaws and parts were not easy to come by-in some ways just like today.

  7811. #781192U 34062024-03-03 18:57

    I can believe it. I've driven an old truck from the 30s a few times. Even a truck from the 60s is leaps and bounds ahead of those early trucks.

  7812. #7812cfherrman2024-03-03 19:20

    Modern day it's the other way around

  7813. #7813Truck Shop2024-03-03 22:05

    Actually it's not--it's just the external components/emission equipment that is a issue. The engine below is a DD15-if it was stripped down to just a fuel /intake system there wouldn't be much on it. Even so changing a cylinder head is not all that bad time wise. Besides-Cummins doesn't even have a jake quite as strong as the DD series 13, 15, 16. And there is very few diesel engines on the market that produce 1500 ft lbs torque at 975 rpm rated at 545 hp topping at 1900. The DD will pull down to 1100 rpm on a grade, coupled with a DT12 AMT transmission at (99,000 lbs GW} it can average up to 5.9 to 6.1 per gal. * Plus the lower ends {cranks} can run 1 million on a set of bearings. * It's the over use of engine management software/electrical/emissions that's causing pain. Talking with several DD people about this they feel it's overkill also, Corporate is as Corporate does.

  7814. #7814Old Doug2024-03-05 07:35

    I think trucks in the late 60s early 70s were about as good as they ever were . After that they started going down hill.

  7815. #7815Truck Shop2024-03-05 19:03

    A truck that was ugly to begin with--& made even uglier. *

  7816. #7816Truck Shop2024-03-05 19:05

    And one that shouldn't be restored, it shows it's history. *

  7817. #7817skyking12024-03-05 19:58

    I'd try to pull the bottom of the bumper out. The rest of it is pure gold, Jerry.

  7818. #7818BSAA65LB2024-03-07 11:42
  7819. #7819JaredV2024-03-07 12:12

    And he could probably lift two milk cans in each hand up onto the truck.

  7820. #7820Hank R2024-03-07 15:54

    Old Harry is a better man than me

  7821. #7821skyking12024-03-07 20:09

    I spotted this little window in Quilcene and had to double back. It has some character going on. Manifold said "diesel"

  7822. #7822Truck Shop2024-03-07 20:25

    That one Sky King is later than 1954 it has a three piece grille surround and because of year a non turbo 220 with a drop back manifold. That thing cackled. *

  7823. #782392U 34062024-03-08 22:31

    That old iron was well built. Early 2000s was when everything started to really go downhill IMO. They had the electronic engines figured out. Good power and fuel economy and they ran relatively clean. Then along came EGR, DPF and SCR, plus a ton of extra electronic garbage.

  7824. #7824Truck Shop2024-03-09 09:43

    As far as engines yes--1987 marked the year for cabs being outfitted with cheaper interiors. The use of plastics by 1990 became the standard, no more aluminum extras.

  7825. #782592U 34062024-03-09 11:07

    I don't know how well the interiors on mid 2000's and older KW's are holding up today but they seemed pretty solid back then. My old man's '02 KW interior was next to immaculate after 4 or 5 years of bush hauling. I drove a 4 year old Cascadia a couple years ago that had less miles on the highway than my dad's KW had seen in the bush and that thing was a clapped out rattle trap.

  7826. #782692U 34062024-03-09 13:26

    I just saw this on Youtube. This is pretty cool to see these guys achieve something this incredible.

  7827. #7827Truck Shop2024-03-09 16:00

    A real good example was the last of the 359 Pete's with the Corvette dash. Mid 87 was the last 359. The door panels of the 359 had a much stouter backing material that moisture didn't cause to wrinkle, Pete's at that time could still be bought with {slang} two cowhide interior. Mid 87 the dash went to a flat square panel that was thin plastic and the upholstery was cheap.

  7828. #782892U 34062024-03-09 16:12

    I really don't know much about Peterbilts, I was always a KW guy. Those old A Model cabs were pretty well built. My 900A had a piece of cracked and broken aluminum down by the clutch pedal but other than that the dash was solid. The steel firewall and front floor section were rusted through or very thin in a few spots but that's not suprising based on its age. I agree the plastic dashes of today would probably not be in that good of shape by the time the 2060s roll around.

  7829. #7829Truck Shop2024-03-09 16:20

    Depending on just old and rough the life was is what determines the W900A cab. Those could come with single or dual mounts at back of cab, I've seen the singles busted completely out. The roof caps would get to sagging on those also. I had to use a bottle jack and 4x4 to jack the cab door opening back straight to install these 98 daylight doors on this 1969. *

  7830. #7830Truck Shop2024-03-09 17:09

    Early day truck jumpers--White. *

  7831. #783192U 34062024-03-09 17:20

    Mine was a logging truck for the first 20 years of its life. Not an easy life by any means. The first owner laid it over on the driver's side some time in the mid 80s. Everything was still pretty straight and square amazingly. I've been told the Canadian built Kenworths had a lot more steel in the cabs. The only aluminum on mine was really just the doors, the rear cab skin/rear window opening and the dash. The rest was steel and fiberglass.

  7832. #7832Acoals2024-03-09 17:55

    That's gonna hurt . . .

  7833. #7833Truck Shop2024-03-09 18:52

    You mean did hurt.

  7834. #7834Coaldust2024-03-09 22:18

    There is an interesting haul that is just gearing up. The Manh Choh is going to haul gold ore from Tetlin, down the Richardson, the Steese, and to Fort Knox for processing. Black Gold Transportation in FAI has the contract. K-dubs and Pete’s pulling 95-foot-long combos with 40-ton double side dumps. The plan is to run an average of 60 ore loads a day. PACCAR is cranking out tractors as fast as BGT can cut the checks. They are competing for drivers and will have a camp for rotational employees to stay at. If someone wanted to stack piles of cash for awhile, this is one way to do it. I’m half tempted to hit the highway and make a few bucks with a BGT truck.

  7835. #7835Tugger22024-03-09 22:52

    At least they werent going hit their heads on a windshield when they landed.

  7836. #7836JaredV2024-03-09 23:04

    I wonder if the driver had to pull the steering wheel out of his face after he landed.

  7837. #7837Truck Shop2024-03-10 08:34

    Boom town stuff------never seems to be what it really is.

  7838. #7838skyking12024-03-10 20:17

    The guy that's going to stack cash on that job is already up there and he sure won't be doing it truck driving. He'll be in some niche that he created.

  7839. #7839Truck Shop2024-03-10 20:45

    I knew a guy that drove the haul road on the pipeline--Dave Holiday, Milton Freewater Or. He grew up in the logging biz, hard scrabble. Only a few made any money, he died at 66 years, broke flat--just allot of good stories. Dave was one hell of a wheel man.

  7840. #7840Coaldust2024-03-10 21:06

    I realized I should have posted this over in the overload thread, because this project is already over-loading the local’s patience. The Hwy was never intended for this sort of traffic. School busses still stop on the Richardson to transport kids. I’m surprised the permitting went through. AKDOT has plenty of work planned through FY25 adding passing lanes, bridge upgrades and such. Fortunately, there are no steep grades, but there are some drop-offs and it won’t be long until trucks start falling off the road.

  7841. #7841Truck Shop2024-03-10 21:25

    Always in those situations, it brings in drivers that are not accustom to that type of heavy hauling and quick thinking. Back in the 70's on the AK pipeline---if you didn't have verifiable experience driving off road/logging your chances were slim to none for a job. Mainly hired from PNW, I remember Dave telling me if your home address was in the midwest--more than likely you were out of luck. Just the way it was then.

  7842. #7842Truck Shop2024-03-10 21:56

    In this photo sets a 1984 359 Pete setting on the fence line--I completely rebuilt it from radiator to last drive axle. It had a 7FB 400 that I out of framed and put CAC on from a 1986, 3.70 with a 15 over, it would roll. Funny story about Dave Holiday. * The Ag company I worked for did custom grain hauling during harvest. The company also custom hauled peas to the cannery with a about 20 leased IH ten wheelers. When that ended the office sent a few drivers up to check out for pulling A trains for grain harvest, a guy from the office drove Dave Holiday up for a interview. When he walked in I knew I wasn't looking at some sawbuck, it was the way he carried himself. He didn't really talk much just what was asked of him. I told him I had this nice T600 with a 350 4CK Cat and a real nice Super Ten for him to drive. What a great tractor it was, how comfortable it was and quiet. He just looked at me didn't say a word. Before he came in the shop I saw him walking around the 84 Pete. * He showed the Monday of the next week all ready to go. {What's with that 359 with the white Cat and Retarder setting on the fence he asked}. Oh that's just for looking at, I keep that around as a yard goat and hang flower pots off the mirrors in the spring time. {He raised one eye brow walked out and drove off in the 600. Next morning he came in the shop-What do you think of that fine 600 KW? It's just a Sweet Heart ain't it? His look was one of total disgust. That Pete just sets around here holding the ground down Huh? Can't do nothing with it?--Nope. * Wednesday morning he showed up came in the shop with a GREAT BIG GRIN. I had hooked the Pete to his set of grain trailers. The rest was history with he and I--I knew when I first saw him I could have some fun---just because he walked around that old girl before his interview. *

  7843. #7843petepilot2024-03-10 22:46

    interesting looking rig wonder what they`ll use to get to ft knox

  7844. #7844Truck Shop2024-03-11 19:49

    Nash 4x4

  7845. #7845skyking12024-03-11 20:11

    ^ Got Wood?^

  7846. #7846Truck Shop2024-03-11 21:08

    Wouldn't all like to have that wood in todays world.

  7847. #7847Truck Shop2024-03-11 22:07

    1950--First vehicle to cross the new then, Bridge over the Columbia River in East Wenatchee. About a 47-48 IH K8. *

  7848. #7848Truck Shop2024-03-12 21:55

    Here is a very fine example of a scam--I read about this car three years ago, nothing matched up then as a super fast street racer--it had a hemi--but it was bone stock. A made up story that has grown to absurd levels--this car sold for 1mil at auction--all built on BS. There is a ex writer that has written about this car as being no more than a 14 second car-he wrote for a Dodge muscle mag. This is one of those stories that got traction and kept going. Most of what's in this video is total hearsay. *

  7849. #7849Bumpsteer2024-03-12 22:49

    The late owners sidekick tells about stoplight to stoplight racing...he wasn't out playing with the "big boys". Ed

  7850. #7850Truck Shop2024-03-13 09:03

    Correct.

  7851. #7851Truck Shop2024-03-13 18:19

    This photo reminds me of one that happened in my old company. 2014 Coronado, Lime Canyon I-84 driver laid it on it's side. Guard rail came through windshield right past drivers head and shot out the back of sleeper. He was terminated--but still drives like an ***. Has been seen descending Cabbage {100,000 GVW} at 60 mph, one of these days. *

  7852. #7852skyking12024-03-13 18:44

    Lime Canyon is no joke.

  7853. #7853Truck Shop2024-03-13 18:55

    Flashing amber lights to warn low speed through some turns.

  7854. #7854Truck Shop2024-03-14 22:04

    Oddity for it's time---Twice pipes with a semaphore signal. Nice truck back then, even now. *

  7855. #7855Truck Shop2024-03-15 09:23

    This photo came up on another site---It's a KW assembly line, the number on the cab would put it somewhere in 1945 I think. Another guy and I think it's a photo of assembly line during WWII in the Yakima plant. KW moved civilian assembly there during the war. A neighbor years ago showed me B&W photos of the Yakima shop when he worked there, he lived in Selah at the time. The cabs are right for time period---no vent windows, rare photo. *

  7856. #7856skyking12024-03-15 09:59

    Nice picture I wonder where the plant was? EDIT: I see the little vents behind the firewall.

  7857. #7857Truck Shop2024-03-15 10:56

    Over the tracks westside from 1st Ave, in the area of the old Washington Produce building, it would be 2nd or 3rd IIRC. Area of N. 1st.

  7858. #7858skyking12024-03-15 10:59

    That is what I was thinking. That area was really connected to the rail yards well on the north end. Thanks. EDIT: That was where the designee had me parallel park and back a dock back in 1991 for the CDL. I had not practiced the latter, he gave me a mulligan there

  7859. #7859Truck Shop2024-03-15 12:07

    111

  7860. #7860Truck Shop2024-03-15 19:19

    T.A. Peterman 1939. *

  7861. #7861Acoals2024-03-15 19:32

    What is sticking out of the back corner of the cab, where the driver's shoulder would be?

  7862. #7862Truck Shop2024-03-15 19:46

    That was a old-odd style semaphore. Only ever seen a few like that.

  7863. #7863skyking12024-03-15 19:47

    Semaphore signal? EDIT LOL

  7864. #7864Acoals2024-03-15 21:01

    Ok, so what's a semaphore?

  7865. #7865Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:13

    Signal.

  7866. #7866skyking12024-03-15 21:13
  7867. #7867Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:16

    This KW I just posted earlier has one in front of the stack. *

  7868. #7868Camshawn2024-03-15 21:19

    When I was young,( mid 60’s)Mom and Dad had an Austin (?) that had semaphore signals that pope out of the door post between the front and back doors. I can still hear them in my mind now that I am reminded of them. Cam

  7869. #7869Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:21

    Old volkswagon bugs and buses had them like that.

  7870. #7870Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:25

    Common truck semaphore signal. *

  7871. #7871Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:46

    Cab overs never faired well in roll overs. *

  7872. #7872Truck Shop2024-03-15 21:56

    Mexican built Pena'. *

  7873. #7873JaredV2024-03-16 01:12

    How were the semaphores controlled? Some sort of cable and lever deal?

  7874. #7874Truck Shop2024-03-16 09:28

    Both.

  7875. #7875Old Doug2024-03-16 09:36

    It is kind of fascinating how many company's would buy running gears and build there own body for them or that the place would sell them running gears knowing what they were going to do.

  7876. #7876Truck Shop2024-03-16 21:49

    1976. *

  7877. #7877mekanik2024-03-17 06:42

    Can anyone tell me who built this truck?

  7878. #7878Truck Shop2024-03-17 09:17

    It's not american built from what I see.

  7879. #7879skyking12024-03-17 09:50

    Tonka?

  7880. #7880OzDozer2024-03-17 10:43

    It looks very suspiciously similar to a Chrysler LAD (Leyland-Albion-Dodge) cab - but I would suggest it's probably a "knock-off" of an LAD, perhaps built in Iran? - Turkey? - Pakistan? - Israel? - or maybe even India? https://www.pinterest.com.au/mk2guru/leyland-albion-dodge/

  7881. #7881Truck Shop2024-03-17 21:14
  7882. #7882Truck Shop2024-03-17 21:18

    Notice the KW above has a flat one piece windshield plus no vent windows in the doors--- Pre-1945 built during war years or pre-war 1941.

  7883. #7883cfherrman2024-03-17 22:42

    I really want one of those hall Scott gas engines

  7884. #7884OzDozer2024-03-17 23:29

    Is that because you just happen to own a dozen oil wells??

  7885. #7885cfherrman2024-03-18 07:44

    Me? I'm broke. No they're just really cool artifacts of the past and actually a really good example where we're headed the future

  7886. #7886OzDozer2024-03-20 09:53

    Southern Transport No 2, hauling water pipes for the Millstream-Dampier-Karratha water supply project, in N.W. Western Australia, 1969. NMP. I think someone snapped this photo while it's in a glass frame, hence the reflections of the cupboard! The trailer is probably a 38 foot trailer, pretty much standard size for the day. 45 foot and 48 foot trailers rule today. Oh, and no tri-axles allowed in 1969, they were deemed illegal, because they supposedly damaged the roads. Once again, different story today, 3 and 4 axles rule. Note the canvas waterbags in carriers on the front bumper. This is HOT country! - and NO A/C! And the exhaust running out just in front of the rear wheel. Plus, no mudguards on either truck or trailer. The exhaust location, and no mudguards, would see you ticketed today!

  7887. #7887Truck Shop2024-03-20 19:33

    Volvo/Autocar rebadged as a Chevy---sold in south america. *

  7888. #7888Truck Shop2024-03-20 21:45

    Napier Deltic inside the pumper unit. *

  7889. #7889skyking12024-03-21 00:03

    Fire trucks are the ticket for getting one.

  7890. #7890Truck Shop2024-03-21 20:02

    I know where two are setting--issue is no place to buy parts.

  7891. #7891cfherrman2024-03-21 20:14

    What's wrong with them? Very low to zero chance I'll pick them up I'm just curious

  7892. #7892Truck Shop2024-03-21 20:54

    One is incomplete the other is complete-both are very tired. *

  7893. #7893Truck Shop2024-03-21 21:05

    You like old Gas pigs---here is a gas pig--I know where one is setting also. Climax V8 built by Climax Motors of Iowa--IIRC. To give a perspective I stand 6' 1", standing next to this engine my eyes are level with top of rocker covers. The one I know about powered the rotary part of the snow plow for Snoqualmie Pass, it was on a Oshkosh. This one ran a lift on a rail bridge. *

  7894. #7894Pony2024-03-22 07:55

    What rpm did those big old petrol truck motors redline at? How about road speed rpms?

  7895. #7895Truck Shop2024-03-22 08:01

    1091 cu in, IIRC 1500--1100. had allot of flywheel also.

  7896. #7896Pony2024-03-22 08:29

    Mpg?

  7897. #7897BSAA65LB2024-03-22 09:15

    Closer to GPM!

  7898. #7898cfherrman2024-03-22 09:26

    Probably 1 mpg

  7899. #7899Truck Shop2024-03-22 16:02

    What does it matter now days? Anywho 1091 HS about 2.5---The Climax it was a stationary normal size gas tank such as the one on the snow plow---it was 500 gal.

  7900. #7900cfherrman2024-03-22 16:05

    A modernized hall Scott probably could get in the 4-6 with today's trucks

  7901. #7901Truck Shop2024-03-22 16:24

    The only thing you could really add is a fuel injection system---already had a mag ignition plus overhead cam. For that bore and stroke pretty hard to squeeze more than 3.5 mpg. Large displacement Gas ICE power that gets any sort of mileage, is about as likely as a piece of used toilet paper being handy to reuse. * I remember years back a shop I worked at--customer had a 76 Ford 4x4 150 with a 390. He wanted it rebuilt, plus aim for 17 to the gallon with some changes. My reply was this engine has a 4.050 bore with a 4.00 stroke and not great intake system, it's only mission is to eat gas, more gas and have little baby 390's.-----He just stood there looking like someone had pissed in his camp fire.

  7902. #7902Truck Shop2024-03-22 19:04

    Got a compliment from the owners dad today--This truck was his as a glider new, I built the Series 60 14L 550 hp 1850 engine that went in it. It came out of a tractor that got laid on it's side at Lime Canyon about 10 years ago now. Over rev'd and bent the valves which shut it down. It is approaching a million miles-never been into since I rebuilt it, other than injectors & running overheads. Still puts on 300 a day. Not often the I would ever hear any good. *

  7903. #7903skyking12024-03-22 20:10

    Perhaps you saved him a ton of money and dissapointment. Change is tough and you did him a favor with that direct approach.

  7904. #7904Truck Shop2024-03-23 20:03

    Decided to add some extra attention lights, same brand as the amber Aero Star. I like rotating emergency lights over the strobe LED type. Both of these were in nice condition and were the exact size I've wanted. $150 for both, a newer similar is $350 each. And the donor truck. *

  7905. #7905Truck Shop2024-03-23 20:32
  7906. #7906skyking12024-03-24 10:20

    The donor is clearly going to the scrap heap. I think that nose could be salvaged with a hot saw and it is really an art deco work of art from the front. Put it inside on a big shop wall.

  7907. #7907Truck Shop2024-03-24 16:35

    Water pump for fires is what's wrong with it, it has a hydraulic ladder. The 8V71 and Allison in it are in good shape. The engine is fairly dry. But one thing it's got is perfect set of Grover Stutter Tone emergency air horns in almost perfect condition.

  7908. #7908crane operator2024-03-24 17:52

    Sitting at $25,000 right now. 1956 Kenworth 900 Series T/A Truck Tractor, 173,918 Miles Showing, Title Will Be Marked Miles Exempt, Cummins NIB 6-Cylinder Diesel Engine, 5+4 Twin Stick Transmission, Dual Fuel Tanks, Dual Exhaust, 6x4 Drive, Spring Suspension, 11R22.5 Front Tires, 11R22.5 Rear Tires, Heater, Radio, Electric Winch And Headache Rack, VIN:67886 1956 Kenworth 900 Series T/A Truck Tractor 1956 Kenworth 900 Series T/A Truck Tractor, 173,918 Miles Showing, Title Will Be Marked Miles Exempt, Cummins NIB 6-Cylinder Diesel Engine, 5+4 Twin Stick Transmission, Dual Fuel Tanks, Dual Exhaust, 6x4 Drive, Spring Suspension, 11R22.5 Front Tires, 11R22.5 Rear Tires, Heater, Radio, Electric... www.bigiron.com

  7909. #7909Truck Shop2024-03-24 18:14

    Nice old 923--A late Holset turbo--262 with model 20 jakes. The bidding just got started.

  7910. #7910Truck Shop2024-03-24 18:20

    1975 C116 Diamond REO---$30,000--Nice truck . *

  7911. #7911Truck Shop2024-03-25 18:13

    A nice truck---but a little tooo muchh east coast spaghetti on the hood & bumper. *

  7912. #7912Truck Shop2024-03-25 21:51

    1928 White. *

  7913. #7913Coaldust2024-03-26 00:56

    A lovely TaTa ?

  7914. #7914mekanik2024-03-26 09:39

    I thought it might be. I searched the internet and could not find one that looked like it.

  7915. #7915Truck Shop2024-03-26 19:04

    Funny thing about this fire engine, it has a single axle with a 3 stage hydraulic squirt ladder. If {If} one was to remove the box and ladder which is mounted on a huge ring gear pivot, remove one of the stages, set it to the front put the box back on minus water tank, plenty of room to add other boxes. A guy could build if he was ambitious one hell of a service truck body, complete with out riggers. Could mount on any truck. The cylinder for the boom is 4". *

  7916. #7916Truck Shop2024-03-26 19:10

    There are some real nice stainless 360 pivot work lights on the back I'm going to scam on to for the tow truck. Plus there are two high power flood lights mounted on the ladder I need those too. *

  7917. #7917DMiller2024-03-27 19:01

    I wonder if Aviation has gone to LED Landing lamps yet. Used to see old perlux or other fog or running light housings with broken lamps in them, SHP in many states did not cotton to the HIGH Energy Discharge Aircraft lights on Highways. They would fit these housings!!

  7918. #7918Truck Shop2024-03-27 21:09

    That one style above is a Unity light housing which houses the standard 5.75 work light a Wagner 7619. One of the three fire engines has Diezt work lights, And guess what--- those are 120-130V three wire. Can't even find 12V for those housings, it uses a lamp with a real thick edge, so no way to really clamp tight. Fire trucks being built on certain customer specs in those years 50, 60, 70 & 80's it could have some odd ball no longer made equipment. * So it got the Unity's with single 12V wire and work light, installed, light up real nice in the shop with lights out. I don't really like LED's--tOO bright and give me a headache working around them at night.

  7919. #7919Truck Shop2024-03-29 20:59

    1935 Hayes. *

  7920. #7920Truck Shop2024-03-30 22:09

    Was working on installing electronics Log/Camera today, needed some gromets. I pulled into Napa, two juniors HS they looked were monkeying around this car they had jacked up--broken wheel studs { been hanging around Vetech}. I walked up they were trying lamely at removing the broke ones. You need a real swatter & a drift and walked on. In the store they came, bought a hammer and punch. As I left I walked by to check, Give me that hammer/punch---You got to put some stink on it! Knocked them out. Go inside and get the cheapest oil you can get. Kid comes back hands me the oil for stud--Kid says to the other-Guy inside says we got it dicked--that's truck shop mike out there helping you guys, you guys really lucked out. I just sat there for a second didn't say a word. Showed them how to do three--left them to finish the last two. Wouldn't learn anything if I did the whole thing. Actually two grateful young guys. * finish E-log tomorrow.

  7921. #7921skyking12024-03-30 22:38

    Love that Mike. It reminds me of all those first lessons, like packing throwout bearing and the end of the crank with grease and taping up a bolt until it fits tight, and giving it a good whack. I remember the the first time I saw that. I hope I get to show somebody again. Or wrapping 20' load chain on an axle and using it as a slide hammer.

  7922. #7922DMiller2024-03-31 00:57

    Loads of little things we show someone else that do trigger, odd little things we take for granted and as we show some Kid, some newbie mechanic is a triumph far and above just getting it done.

  7923. #7923Truck Shop2024-03-31 07:00

    Well at least the young fellers were trying.

  7924. #7924DMiller2024-03-31 07:52

    Seeing a few more trying as time goes by, expense of having their own car repaired by a real garage has become so expensive, parts costs are bad enough. Something had to give. Actually glad to see it around here.

  7925. #7925DMiller2024-03-31 08:12

    Have heard it from so many people, just shrug it off as is what I have always seemingly done. Comments as to ‘How do you know to do all this’ or ‘You did everything?’ Time and many screwed up attempts I had to fix twice or repair the hard way. Nothing was Free, none was always Easy. Everyone coming to this line of work will walk that same path.

  7926. #7926Old Doug2024-03-31 08:49

    The other day when I met the new owners the old boss was talking me up the new boss asked me were I learned I said I never had anything and had to learn or do without.

  7927. #7927Truck Shop2024-03-31 15:02

    Finished that electronics installation crap this morning, and rigged up some other things. * I hung around a kid in high school-his dad had a foreign car repair shop and the gran-dad had a machine shop in the other half of shop. Learned allot there fiddling the hours away into the night working on typical car crap. I started at 14 washing parts and sweeping floors at a truck shop three days a week plus pearl diving at the local truck stop. At the truck stop I got lessons on how to make a log book {mostly crooked}, used that later on. The shop led to greasing, tires & brakes. But the most important was learning how to cuss forming a proper sentence.

  7928. #7928skyking12024-03-31 15:16

    ^ mine was working evenings and weekends though my junior and senior years of high school. Gary Mclean's place was Tire King and Arco in Selah. He had a real tire shop and was a skilled mechanic. Paul Henry was the Snap-On guy in Selah, and I wandered into that den of chromium addiction and had credit from him before anywhere else. I learned a ton watching Gary and he was good to share it. On a slow Sunday I would roll my mustang onto the single post lift and leave the bay door open. I called that "baiting the hook". If you wanted time to do homework and dink around, keep the bay doors closed. Open the doors and people just naturally stop in. I learned a lot from doing.

  7929. #7929Truck Shop2024-03-31 16:53

    I've got tools I still use from Paul, he quit and started a business on Fruitvale, pneumatic repair IIRC.

  7930. #7930DMiller2024-03-31 17:19

    My Dad set me up with a Sears set of hand tools in 1975, added to them with SnapOn and MAC with a few odd others over the years. Still have considerable remaining of the old Craftsman wrenches. Pearce Mann was the salesman in my area, they broke up his route to three trucks, finally retired two years ago.

  7931. #7931skyking12024-03-31 17:23

    I did not know that. Nice guy. Boy was Fruitvale a time capsule when I was growing up. The epitomy of the old highway.

  7932. #7932Pops522024-03-31 18:24

    TS, this sounds similar to my start, L&L Trucking in Santa Maria, April 68. Washing, greasing, tire work and learned to cuss the right way. My boss was a sailor on a destroyer in the war and he taught me how include "ethiopian" in a long line of words not usually spoken in mixed company.......

  7933. #7933skyking12024-03-31 18:37

    it gives a string of invective a sophisticated sound.

  7934. #7934DMiller2024-03-31 18:46

    Dad and Uncle ex Navy, learned that valuable dialect presentation Early On!!!

  7935. #7935Truck Shop2024-03-31 21:59

    You what's interesting--new members with 200 messages that act like they've been here 12 years.

  7936. #7936Truck Shop2024-04-01 20:56

    1916 Jimmy. *

  7937. #7937kshansen2024-04-02 06:51

    Was that drivers seat that wide so you could have a second driver to help steer that thing?

  7938. #7938DMiller2024-04-02 07:07

    No cab so could stand and flat footed steer the hard turns!!

  7939. #7939Truck Shop2024-04-02 08:14

    The trucks of that era are what jump started the chiropractic profession, proctologist & and the invention of hemorrhoid creams.

  7940. #7940DMiller2024-04-02 08:24

    One step above a team wagon!! At least most of those had spring support seats

  7941. #7941Truck Shop2024-04-02 08:49

    Only thing different is a motor added.

  7942. #7942DMiller2024-04-02 19:23

    old Gemmer box Cabovers were about as much joy!!

  7943. #7943Truck Shop2024-04-02 19:27

    Well it's how Studebaker started----building wagons and camp houses for sheep herders.

  7944. #7944Truck Shop2024-04-02 21:11

    Way it is these days--and some cases years ago in certain cities it wasn't much better. I remember the Bakersfield truck stop--Had signs on top of the pumps in the fuel islands, {Beware of being propositioned} actually it was a advertisement. *

  7945. #7945Camshawn2024-04-02 21:54

    Had a friend travelling with his wife on trip that stopped at one of the sketchy spots in Cal. yrs ago. Took his pistol in and took turns with his wife standing guard at the shower. Needless to say, they showered and then moved on down the road. Cam

  7946. #7946Truck Shop2024-04-02 21:59

    I always took on enough fuel at Corning going south, I refuel at Corning again headed back north. Once in a while in Bakersfield because I went over the vine to L.A.

  7947. #7947DMiller2024-04-03 04:10

    Bakersfield and Orange county TSs, when HAD to stop at those did not hang around. Can remember the two ton stake beds prowling the lot at Orange as fueled, gals slipping off the back or grabbing others to get back on. No Thanks!!

  7948. #7948Truck Shop2024-04-03 05:34

    I've come to the conclusion--people who can recite amendments to the constitution, or think about such matters on a regular basis----have been in the basement a little too long with grand papa, the true definition of a nerd.

  7949. #7949Truck Shop2024-04-04 09:43

    Then there are the {voices of reason} types, the Spock's carefully weighing and examining all statements made, as though they were the chosen. Injecting and inserting their view as though it's the correct established pattern of thought by the masses. And prefer to think they are more successful all because they are the {voices of reason}. * Truth is they are just another pecker head in the sea of pecker heads. * and now back to old trucks.

  7950. #7950Truck Shop2024-04-04 21:28

    1918 Federal with a fresh load of body boxes. *

  7951. #7951Truck Shop2024-04-04 21:47

    Stuff I read today caused me to remember Trooper Pounder- real last name. He was stationed in a little town Republic back in the 50's with the WSP. This young guy who thought laws were for everyone else and ran his mouth to the local one cop in town kept running stop signs, Pounder had written him up two times for running stop signs, third time was a charm. Pounder pulled him over the loud mouth got out of his car and started in on Pounder running his mouth. Pounder-{I grabbed him by the front of his shirt-and punched his face like a bag, after three I asked him {Tell me when to STOP} you understand what stop means now? Shut his mouth and stopped running stop signs. Pounder was 6'5" and a face chiseled from stone. A incident he told me about. A person say whatever, run his mouth--in those days it might cost you.

  7952. #7952JaredV2024-04-04 21:53

    Closer inspection shows the bed has been extended with planks to allow 15 more boxes. If it's a 1918 truck, maybe it's because of the Spanish Flu?

  7953. #7953Truck Shop2024-04-04 22:03

    Very correct and observant----it would have been a good candidate for the first drop axle. In some cities the morgues were way over full in 1918 and burials were several days behind because unlike today they were all hand dug. No 580's cruising around grave yards then.

  7954. #7954DMiller2024-04-05 07:04

    Are several cemetery sections were Grandparents and distant relatives are buried the grounds keepers will explain the headstones are cursory, caskets during the Flu burials were marked with names but most were hurriedly buried attempting to slow the progression of the virus. Most were placed as fast as could situate then the family plots marked even as likely Not buried exactly there.

  7955. #795556wrench2024-04-05 10:52

    I can see where the truss bars under the frame rails are necessary for this application

  7956. #7956Truck Shop2024-04-05 18:55

    I-90----1920 Duplex. *

  7957. #7957Truck Shop2024-04-05 19:11

    Here's one you don't see everyday or at all--Dorman 12. *

  7958. #7958materthegreater2024-04-05 19:15

    That's what most roads around here look like

  7959. #7959DMiller2024-04-06 08:10

    Had to look up the Dorman!! Not ever seen one.

  7960. #7960Truck Shop2024-04-07 16:33

    Something that has been said over & over and repeated on here---{If you can work on a Briggs & Stratton--you can work on a Cummins.} Just probably the dumbest statement I've ever heard. By some of the work I've seen performed on 855's through the years there must be allot of Briggs & Stratton's that run like ****. Cat's 3406's are not forgiving but because it's not a fixed time engine it has less moving parts-minus the Injection Pump, & water pump is gear driven. Less gear train on the 855 because of the accessory drive-driving both compressor and IP. The 855 is just as complicated what scares people about the 3406-A-B is the advance & injector pump.

  7961. #7961Truck Shop2024-04-07 18:27

    Early day RSH. *

  7962. #7962Truck Shop2024-04-07 21:57

    Allot of chatter these days about aftermarket engine parts--[like]- {I read on a couple forums there were some guys not happy with the McBee parts, or PAI is just junk IPD is the worst stuff---I know of a guy that had the crank go out in 25,000 miles--said it was bad bearings}. *Hearsay. Unless there is actual proof with photos, documented miles, work performed----it's internet rubbish. Just because someone changed head gaskets on a 350 chevy----doesn't make him a mechanic. Most don't even understand what a clean work environment is--85% of engine failure is because of contaminates combined with incorrect procedures, 5% bad machine work, 6% lack of lube & 4% inferior parts & that includes oem. If the aftermarket were that bad there would be class action lawsuits up the kazoo, but there isn't is there. Too many people think they are a mechanic---if you don't own a shop, or punch a time clock working as a mechanic with a verifiable reputation---you ain't a mechanic, your pseudo. If you think otherwise remember that when you need a heart specialist--in your case a urologist will do, he works with plumbing too so it will be ok. * And now back to old trucks.

  7963. #7963DMiller2024-04-08 06:14

    But but but, they slept over at a Holiday Inn Express!!

  7964. #7964Truck Shop2024-04-08 21:22

    From two years ago, this one had a head on with a pickup at Wallula Junction, icy conditions pickup lost control and took it head on with 490. At the time with insurance co. involved I made my opinion clear--Total it. That was 2.5 years ago, my reason-damage to engine block at front and rear mounts was a high probability even though I couldn't see a issue. Today I towed it from Pasco to La Grande--the right rear area of the rear structure/block meet------- a chunk is missing--you can see the ring gear, leaking oil & coolant. Now trying to come back at insurance---is a laugh, never happen. Old employer--You were right, now we get to eat this one. DD15--new complete $51,000. It just took awhile for the crack to travel. *

  7965. #7965Truck Shop2024-04-08 21:40

    Just what isn't needed, a quad cab cabover. *

  7966. #7966Tyler d4c2024-04-08 21:43

    This sounds like alot of guys telling me a pre emissions truck/machine is better then a newer one because anyone can work on it. Then I just say then why are you here asking me to repair it for you.

  7967. #7967skyking12024-04-08 21:45

    ^suicide doors to boot!

  7968. #7968Truck Shop2024-04-08 21:51

    Pete actually built those 4 door 362's, not many just a few.

  7969. #7969Truck Shop2024-04-08 21:54

    Correct--Stand there and expound how it's mere child's play, while dialing the lawn mower shop

  7970. #7970Acoals2024-04-09 06:31

    A dump body and a couple of drop axles and then I can bring the kids . . .

  7971. #7971Truck Shop2024-04-09 08:27

    I've always said if it's labeled a truck and has four doors---it's diaper wagon.

  7972. #7972Acoals2024-04-09 09:39

    10-4 on the diaper wagon ~ View attachment KIMG0920.JPG Pushes snow and hauls machines, parts, materials and, in the interest of not repeating my father's mistakes, kids. The cab is a nuisance for visibility and maneuverability, but . . .

  7973. #7973Truck Shop2024-04-09 17:33

    By the time one has hauled their biscuits & gravy {lots of gravy} in and out of a cabover X amount of times in one day, they start to question why they bought it or drive it. There have been countless accidents from entering and exiting cabovers. L&I just loved those piles years ago. Allot of knee, ankle and shoulder injuries.

  7974. #7974Truck Shop2024-04-09 17:54

    1949 Sterling, only few built. *

  7975. #7975Truck Shop2024-04-09 20:59

    My, my, my, I read about another dissatisfied business person, unhappy about a repair, followed with the proverbial {If I do it then I know it's done right} --really, based on what? If that was/is the case--then why oh why did they pay someone else to do it?

  7976. #7976Truck Shop2024-04-09 21:30

    T-N-T Terry Nelson Trucking, been around awhile. Only run big guns. 20,000 lb steerable drops, twin steering boxes on the Western Stars with air disc brakes-DD16's. The Pete's 16L Cats with drum brakes, 20,000 lb steerable drops. T-N-T always runs nice equipment, I passed one of the Stars on Nine Mile grade on Hyw 12 headed to La Grande yesterday, they are moving 100' plus pre-stressed beams just east of here. I photo'd these today parked at a motel. *

  7977. #7977Acoals2024-04-09 21:41

    The low mounted horns on the #15 Pete; that will wake somebody up . . .

  7978. #7978Truck Shop2024-04-09 21:44

    Those were pretty dinged up from rocks/road debris. Funny how each manufacture spec's, the Stars have 7/16 rail with a 5/16 inner rail, the Pete's are 3/8 with a 5/16 inner rail.

  7979. #7979Truck Shop2024-04-09 21:59

    This Tate 450 was a factory f@ck-up.. left the assembly line with 7/16 rail and 5/16 inner. It just needed a few more changes to make it a 200,000 lb mover. It was tough to load, making axle weights the way it is. All of the trucks have 7/16 rail as standard. *

  7980. #7980Truck Shop2024-04-10 14:21

    https://www.tiktok.com/video/7355525529379884330

  7981. #7981Acoals2024-04-10 16:16

    KW vs Tesla ugly contest . . .

  7982. #7982Truck Shop2024-04-10 16:18

    It's coming whether the public likes it or not. It's such a good looking vehicle, there is a version with a little higher fairings for off road, I'm so glad you young guys get to deal with these inventions.

  7983. #7983Truck Shop2024-04-10 17:27

    The one area that is always-and I mean {always} overlooked------what happens when it breaks down along side the interstate. The hot shot boys at the drafting table could just give a glorified passing of gas about that.-----Tow truck pulls up and driver says--{Nope not today or tomorrow}. So towing companies will have to come up with a super low profile ramp deck no taller than 12" to stay under height constraints. And that means it will always have to be winched on trailer from the back. Which causes all kinds of along side road traffic issues if they weren't bad al ready. Cost to move one a short distance {Triple}. * 1.5 years ago just before I left retired, the company bought two new 3 axle Cascadia's. Came with just about the same low profile air dams as the KW above. With the added feature of when the truck reached 45 plus mph it would automatically lower another 2". The front valence was so low there was no place to push a oil drain cart under. But it was a extra addon piece to the normal air dam. So on a Sunday afternoon I ran both in the shop-removed and painted the bolts same color to refill the bolt holes. No one even noticed-I could now change oil plus if {just a matter of when} one of the breaks down----it can be towed without too much trouble from the front with a wheel lift. It might be me that has to deal with it.

  7984. #7984Acoals2024-04-10 19:21

    Electrics are coming, that's a fact, but that doesn't necessarily mean that in 20 years the road is going to be full of Tesla looking things. If you look back over the last 75 years there have been lots of "futuristic" ideas that have fizzled, or lasted in some respect, but not in the form they were originally envisioned. I doubt the Tesla semi will last, at least in it's current iteration. The drivetrain tech might, but the stupid center driving cab, flip out windows and other such nonsense won't. They could have built trucks with a seat smack in the middle 30 years ago, if it weren't such a stupid idea. That Tesla semi makes me think of the Ford "Big Red" turbine powered idea . . .

  7985. #7985Truck Shop2024-04-10 19:27

    There are too many in the game--the same was said about the PC & cell phone, & look what happened. To add--I remember when it was said the president had a phone in his Lincoln-the 60's. The late 80's rolled around and now a Smart phone is the common, I remember when the brick phone arrived, { People don't need that or want it--was said}. Here's the thing----That KW above is also offered with Diesel power. * The sign of the times---it's always caused folks to grumble.

  7986. #7986cfherrman2024-04-10 20:08

    Diesel over electric will be here to stay for 59 years+

  7987. #7987Truck Shop2024-04-10 20:42

    Just who's crystal ball are you looking in? I for one certainly hope not, it's just people refusing to let go of ICE's. There will be alternate power just what, remains to be seen. There is a certain gratification watching the masses of young males argue it's existence & the reason's it should remain. * It would be nice to see a harley coming down the road that made no noise.

  7988. #7988cfherrman2024-04-10 21:14

    It's not refusing to let go of ice, it's the power of electric with the range of diesel, best of both worlds. I don't think there will be a true electric truck for quite awhile, well one you can at least make money with

  7989. #7989Truck Shop2024-04-10 21:25

    I don't think so either, but at the rate the world is evolving---it will be something we miniscule minded will be confounded by---because it will be simple and right under our nose the whole time.

  7990. #7990cfherrman2024-04-10 21:59

    There needs to be a fundamental change in battery tech similar to when ni nmh to li ion for them to be viable, right now too many problems with heat, cold, and battery life from over dischargeing. It just happens that diesel over electric solves all of those problems. The government fooling with emissions (and lessing weight restrictions) like they been might make it more profitable. I still want to see a manufacturer come out with a 20L gas engine because it will be cheaper to own than the emissions diesel or the full battery truck.

  7991. #7991Camshawn2024-04-10 22:27

    There is not enough electricity in the grid to go to fully electric trucks. Until we solve the generation issue, we are not moving along way forward. Once we increase the supply, we will need to improve the transmission and distribution. All electric trucks are a long way away in the future. Hybrid I believe will fill the gap. The advances in drives, electric motors, and batteries (look at battery tools) are happening every day. The grid is way behind.

  7992. #7992Acoals2024-04-11 06:27

    No, it won't be, which is why nobody has made one. It doesn't work at the 6-7 liter level in pickup trucks, it would only get worse as they got bigger. I have a friend who is in the grocery business, and owns and operates several single axle box trucks. He had a Freightliner with a Cummins and 26' box that he ran for about 8 or 9 years and put a bit over 300,000 miles on. He had a lot of trouble with the engine, especially in cold weather, so when he went to get a new truck, he took the advice that he ought to get a gas job instead; cheaper to own. He bought a Ford F600 or something to that effect, with the 7.3L gas and 10 speed automatic. The Freightliner got about 10 MPG, the new Ford gets 5. Now, the Ford has plenty of power, and pulls just as well as the older truck, but half the fuel mileage. If he runs that truck to 300,000 miles that is about 60,000 gallons of gas, vs about 30,000 gallons of diesel. At current fuel prices that new gas job is going to cost him $120,000 more in fuel than an equivalent diesel powered truck. I am no fan of emissions equipment, but that math just doesn't add up.

  7993. #7993cfherrman2024-04-11 08:04

    Emissions equipment of heavy duty diesels do or will cost more than the engine and are wear items that have to be replaced. Currently new diesels engines are around $50k+ plus when they break down your out a few days to weeks. In 2027 truck prices will double due to emissions rules, and emission equipment reliability will probably half again

  7994. #7994colson042024-04-11 08:19

    This is where the gas engine competes against the diesel engine. Maintenence & Repairs, and quality of use. Turn the key, it starts. My father in law runs a used car dealership with service center. In our area, 4wd trucks are king and he sells a lot of them annually. He started steering most customers away from diesels when the repair bills started destroying the savings they got from the better fuel efficiency. Looking over his customers service records, he has a lot of gas engine trucks that made it to 200,000+ miles with nothing more than oil changes. Does this apply to Class 8 trucks? No. In the 6-7 litre engine class though, I think gas engines can be competitive over the entire life cycle of the vehicle. I would like to see someone try it in the class 8 world using modern tech to see if they can be competitive though. I doubt anyone will try it. Everyone seems gun ho on diesel-electric hybrid or all electric.

  7995. #7995cfherrman2024-04-11 08:49

    I see it as a meme, I think ts guessed 4-6 for otr I do want to take a gas flathead 6 pushing 140 hp and gas over electric it for a pickup. There's literally nothing that will break on that sob

  7996. #7996Truck Shop2024-04-11 13:21

    I knew when I posted that KW cheese slicer--the ideas & opinions would fly. Somewhere there is a troll in a deep dark basement--with something on the drawing board. * Back to old trucks.

  7997. #7997HATCHEQUIP2024-04-11 14:55

    Ya'll must have some really smooth roads, cause that thing would drag on a pile of cow shi+

  7998. #7998MarcusZ19672024-04-11 15:08

    Here ya go TS

  7999. #7999Truck Shop2024-04-11 15:33

    1928 FWD hill climb test. *

  8000. #8000Truck Shop2024-04-11 15:35

    Well as long as it's wet cow **** it will spread like peanut butter, just a large trowel.

  8001. #8001HATCHEQUIP2024-04-11 15:44

    Ive seen alot of FWD's under truck cranes but did they also do regular otr trucks?

  8002. #8002Truck Shop2024-04-11 16:08

    No, all vocational, might have built a very small number on special order.

  8003. #8003mowingman2024-04-11 17:38

    Vocational seemed to be there thing. They did build a lot of ready mix concrete mixer chassis, and I have seen photos of a couple FWD truck tractors, pulling lowboy equipment trailers. Might have to do a Google search and see what all I can find. Got me interested now.

  8004. #8004Truck Shop2024-04-11 19:52

    Long tow tomorrow-Albany Ore & back, around 600 miles. Then run it to La Grande Ore. No one to work on it for two weeks in that area. Tow one down drop rehook & skedaddle home. Will leave at midnight.

  8005. #8005skyking12024-04-11 20:21

    In and out of Portland traffic before it gets started :thumbsup:

  8006. #8006colson042024-04-11 20:35

    Have a safe journey TS.

  8007. #8007Truck Shop2024-04-12 17:35

    Back at 11:00 am.

  8008. #8008Truck Shop2024-04-13 15:26

    It was a total of 648 miles round trip, 660 in eleven can just be logged legally. * Now in D Millers thread about driving. Never going to find many that drive the same. Truth is the more hours in the seat the sloppier a diver gets. As far as mileage-that boils down to how big of a hurry one is in. As far as shifting smooth, everyone rakes a few, ride along's--the driver tends to be on his best behavior and wants to impress the passenger. The real care in driving is not over revving or lugging, not crowding other drivers/traffic, driving a mile ahead in their mind keeping fluctuations/road conditions/traffic front and center. The trip I just made--80% of trucks were over running the speed limit by 8 plus mph. Following too close, not turning signals on waiting a bit then move. The main things I saw. Now for me--even with speed limit for trucks of 65 most places, I can only run a max of 62 and that is running with the wind at my back. Towing tractors from the back with a tall fairing can create issues, like damage the fairing and cab with high velocity winds. Sometimes have to tone it down to 50. Now it was raining on the way down in the dark, most were overdriving their headlights, dumb. Many things go into being professional----So with what I saw on this trip, I didn't see very many professionals. Shifting gears and throttle stomp are only a very small part of driving. The real test on mileage--is how many Little Debbie snacks to the mile.

  8009. #8009Truck Shop2024-04-13 20:30
  8010. #8010Truck Shop2024-04-13 21:51
  8011. #8011cfherrman2024-04-13 22:36

    I knew from that thumbnail exactly what happened

  8012. #8012Truck Shop2024-04-14 15:16

    A Mack dump for the Mack people. *

  8013. #8013Truck Shop2024-04-14 15:20

    Here is a classic for the word ugly, an afterthought. The guy who owns it goes through all the pains of taking care of it with paint & polish, yet uses mailbox letters and crappy signage. *

  8014. #8014Truck Shop2024-04-14 15:40

    1937 jimmy track truck.

  8015. #8015Truck Shop2024-04-14 18:46

    Ice cream anyone? 1933 Stude. *

  8016. #8016mekanik2024-04-14 19:59

    Wagon Wheels!

  8017. #8017Truck Shop2024-04-14 20:18
  8018. #8018skyking12024-04-14 20:37

    been there, done that. Now working hard to get rid of the evidence

  8019. #8019Truck Shop2024-04-14 20:41

    I haven't eaten any ice cream in 9 months, I just stand and look at it in the store, then get told I'm loitering and have to leave.

  8020. #8020Truck Shop2024-04-14 21:26

    We had allot of hard times when I was a kid living on the dairy. But one thing I remember was the ice cream we would sometimes make. Jerseys-one gallon of whole milk can have 3 inches of solid cream rise to the top. Mixed with fresh strawberries it was the best ice cream I ever had.

  8021. #8021Truck Shop2024-04-14 21:32

    Fancy Mack pop truck. *

  8022. #8022HATCHEQUIP2024-04-15 09:15

    That stude was a good looking truck for its time, But back to that greenish cabover, did it all tilt or just the top and the fenders swung out? Give us some info and what was it? And ive seen coffins wider than that sleeper.

  8023. #8023Truck Shop2024-04-15 09:19

    Those high binders were stationary cabs, like most in that time.

  8024. #8024HATCHEQUIP2024-04-15 09:40

    So you had to lift the whole cab off?

  8025. #8025Truck Shop2024-04-15 16:52

    I'll see if I have a old photo of engine removal. But here's the thing, everyone building/manufacturing a pickup----Ford comes to mind--here we are in 2024 removing the cab to work on the engine---------- This has always been a laugh for me. Ideas didn't move ahead they went in reverse.

  8026. #8026Truck Shop2024-04-15 17:05

    Nice drive to La Grande today, could only drive 40 from here to Mission/I-84 because of wind. The Freightliner shop in LaGrande had 1/4 of the shop full with high paying company break downs. One with a stripped gear train from improper high pressure fuel pump install by Penske. The one with fractured rear structure from wreck two years ago, and the blown drive axle I brought them this morning. Life is good, I made roughly 800 on this last tow.

  8027. #8027Truck Shop2024-04-15 20:01

    1935 Speedwagon *

  8028. #8028Truck Shop2024-04-16 06:26

    Very early day transfer dump-GMC circa 1935. *

  8029. #8029cfherrman2024-04-16 08:20

    Imagine rowing the gears in that thing at 90hp

  8030. #8030JaredV2024-04-16 09:06

    Wow, I had no idea someone already thought of that back then. Guessing there was some sort of Lovejoy coupling half on the back of the truck that engaged with another on the trailer to power it? Or maybe a winch on the truck and to get the tub back on the trailer you pulled the cable to the back of the trailer and up to the tub again? I'd love to see more pictures of that!

  8031. #8031skyking12024-04-16 09:44

    no kidding!

  8032. #8032Truck Shop2024-04-16 10:43

    Yup built in California----California is always first with innovation, everywhere else is just dead last. I knew when I posted that the big time Contractors & Operators of ------------ Heavy Equipment Forums---had seen it Alllll.

  8033. #8033Truck Shop2024-04-16 14:55

    Lets see---in another thread about our dilemma with the workforce. Life is about choices yes it is----Fact, some at young age were left with minimal choices and some none at all. When I hear/see a person using the word {hate} as contempt of another's lack of drive---the person using it hasn't walked in path or lived under the roof of said person. To the many who live a perfect life, good for you, your lucky. Not everyone was born with high IQ, had good schooling, had good parenting, had good food to eat, your living the dream made possible in the beginning of your life by someone else most likely. The only thing hindering you is your narcissistic egotistical mind set. * And yes there are those that are just no good too--born under a bad star.

  8034. #8034HATCHEQUIP2024-04-16 15:24

    Agreed

  8035. #8035kshansen2024-04-16 15:33

    Sometimes one can just be at the right place at the right time. The day after I graduated from high school I started working at the quarry where my dad worked most of my life. Just shoveling und conveyors and other manual labor. Did that for a couple summers while going to community college. Dad mentioned one day the quarry company was going to start a shop to repair equipment and asked if I might be interested in a job in the shop. Think that was in early 1971 and in 2015 I retired from that job. Not sure what I would have been doing for all those years if someone in management of the company had decided to put the shop in a different state instead of the place dad worked.

  8036. #8036Truck Shop2024-04-16 17:07

    Correct------Most start life in a job they definitely won't finish life in, all stepping stones. Not everyone was to be successful, in true reasoning if everyone was-----just who would it be to do the menial tasks for the well off. Unfortunately there will always be plodders, the fortunate should be thankful for the unfortunate---it keeps them feeling superior and no holes worn through the knees of their pants.

  8037. #8037Truck Shop2024-04-16 18:21

    1935 model 90 Kenworth--only a production of one. *

  8038. #8038Truck Shop2024-04-16 18:23

    Only one photo.

  8039. #8039Truck Shop2024-04-17 07:51

    Now a big question for those that think they are the payers, the doers, contributors, non takers. Just what is your plan, what is it you think needs to be done with the non doers, takers. Really, I can guess what that is. * It doesn't take much to stop people from hitting the like button does it.

  8040. #8040Truck Shop2024-04-17 08:27
  8041. #8041Truck Shop2024-04-17 08:32

    The trending word for the day--coddle, coddling & coddler.

  8042. #8042Truck Shop2024-04-17 10:19

    Where in the heck did I leave that mack wiring book?

  8043. #8043Truck Shop2024-04-17 17:46

    NMP Clatskanie Or. *

  8044. #8044Truck Shop2024-04-18 18:27

    NMP. *

  8045. #8045Truck Shop2024-04-19 05:12

    Paving the Dead Zone. *

  8046. #8046Truck Shop2024-04-19 05:20
  8047. #8047HATCHEQUIP2024-04-19 09:17

    Any one notice the picture in the marker

  8048. #8048Truck Shop2024-04-19 19:27

    The little town of Roslyn Wa. where Northern Exposure was filmed was a old coal mining town going back 1880's, the grave makers in the Roslyn cemetery have locket type images of the person buried, ethnic-- the cemetery is segregated. *

  8049. #8049Truck Shop2024-04-20 10:53

    Even with the big wheels---it's a real good looking old chevy. *

  8050. #8050Truck Shop2024-04-20 10:59

    A 1937 Chev--in SD. *

  8051. #8051Truck Shop2024-04-20 17:59

    1954 Chevy RSH--5.9 cummins built in Vancouver BC. *

  8052. #8052Truck Shop2024-04-20 18:00

    1952 Euclid 1LLD-Western 80 *

  8053. #8053kshansen2024-04-20 18:58

    Wonder what it had for engine(s)? Just so happens I have book that lists a 1LLD as having two NHRS Cummins and being a 50 ton truck. Then again that one shown is being called a "Western 80" which I believe refers to the trailer section not the tractor. I'm having a hard time believing two little NHRS Cummins would be pulling all that load, at least not if there was any kind of grade involved. Also found that same picture with this caption: A 1952 Euclid 150 ton 1LLD Western 80 dump truck. So again if it is hauling 150 tons plus it's own weight I even more convinced that two little Cummins would do the job. With for stacks I might be thinking four 6-110's or maybe 6-71's? Heck while I'm wild guessing why not stick in a pair 12V-149's in there, but did they make 12V-149's in early 50's? Just did a Google search and seems like the 149's were only built these years 1967–1999 so that kills that idea!

  8054. #8054Acoals2024-04-20 19:45

    Does your book list a decibel spec for inside the cab ? ? ? My ears are ringing just thinking about it . . .

  8055. #8055Truck Shop2024-04-20 20:34

    Hansen--I posted that knowing you would be on it like a bad smell. Western designed, using the Euclid, but it had issues. Didn't sell---Got to remember the gearing was real low.

  8056. #8056Truck Shop2024-04-20 21:30

    1936 *

  8057. #8057Truck Shop2024-04-20 21:41
  8058. #8058mekanik2024-04-20 21:42

    A pair of screaming 12-71's I bet

  8059. #8059Truck Shop2024-04-20 21:49

    Page 3----Cody Danos. Originally powered by 2 NHRS 600 Cummins, then a interim engine, Then powered by 6-110's. Less than 50 total built. * Old Euclid 1LLD https://picclick.com/EUCLID-50-TON-REAR-DUMP-WESTERN-CONTRACTING-1952-8x10-362225484556.html Well looks like I need to go out in the barn and dig around. i believe I have some old Euclid sales brochures, but they may be from the 1960's so probably too new to show this twin engine model. Have... HeavyEquipmentForums

  8060. #8060Truck Shop2024-04-20 21:55

    No stinking 12V149's or other Detroit things. But it did come with on special special order four 12V71's and two Double Over Drive 15 speeds up against the dash with two 4 speed auxiliary boxes, all while playing hillbilly music on the tube radio turned up to level 10.

  8061. #8061Truck Shop2024-04-21 06:45
  8062. #8062cfherrman2024-04-21 09:52

    I'm sure they had to turn the radio up to 11

  8063. #8063Hank R2024-04-21 10:40
  8064. #8064Truck Shop2024-04-21 19:07
  8065. #8065Hank R2024-04-21 21:07

    TS thanks for sharing pictures of work trucks with real bumpers and metal, got to like the wagon wheels.

  8066. #8066skyking12024-04-22 17:22

    When I was a lad, Mr Goodlander's brother passed away and was buried in that cemetery. He was a sweet soft spoken old man, and he came to the house with hat in hand, looking for a "driver". He was not comfortable with making that drive, and mom gave him her youngest. I had a learner's permit and I ground the gears and oversteered his '52 Chevy pickup there and back while he sat patiently next to me. Then I sat patiently while he attended the graveside ceremony.

  8067. #8067skyking12024-04-22 17:26

    It's not a big truck but you don't often see a Reo alongside the road. My picture in Hunters, WA It had tabs on it from only 29 years ago. That's a recent runner in my book.

  8068. #8068cfherrman2024-04-22 17:27

    There's a guy putting one on a f550 and a 471t

  8069. #8069skyking12024-04-22 17:28

    @DMiller Not cornbinders.

  8070. #8070Hank R2024-04-22 19:56

    Picture was taken in spring of 93 truck was new. not sure if 31 years old is old enough?? View attachment 1713830189483.jpeg

  8071. #8071cfherrman2024-04-22 20:44

    Love me a twin steer

  8072. #8072Truck Shop2024-04-22 21:35

    Cummins 1710 V12. *

  8073. #8073Truck Shop2024-04-22 21:36
  8074. #8074mekanik2024-04-22 22:22

    The 1710 I had to work on them. What a horrible engine!!!

  8075. #8075Truck Shop2024-04-23 09:21

    Got to love it when the word horrible is used.

  8076. #8076cfherrman2024-04-23 09:22

    That one has a hood for miles

  8077. #8077Truck Shop2024-04-23 21:15

    Old #12--one of T-n-T's original big guns-1693TA. IIRC *

  8078. #8078skyking12024-04-23 21:17

    I'm wondering why the hood is labeled "Cat House" ? Maybe that is a 3408?

  8079. #8079Truck Shop2024-04-23 21:19

    It says {Class of 69} so should be a 1693.

  8080. #8080skyking12024-04-23 21:26

    yeh that's a mixed message LOL.

  8081. #8081Hank R2024-04-25 10:26

    A few more mixers from 93 if memory is correct??

  8082. #8082Hank R2024-04-25 13:17

    My friend Rob sent to me seen in Edmonton this morning.

  8083. #8083Truck Shop2024-04-25 20:50

    Very poor moderation.

  8084. #8084Truck Shop2024-04-25 21:23
  8085. #8085Truck Shop2024-04-25 21:26

    Only one built in 1972--with a Ramirez hood. *

  8086. #8086crane operator2024-04-25 21:27

    I looked at buying one of those railroad wreckers once, but there' s just not that many things to use one for. I've seen the holmes ones and P&H made one too, I think.

  8087. #8087Truck Shop2024-04-25 21:29

    What it makes is a perfect recovery for trucks---Buy a used one for the fraction of a new rotator tow truck.

  8088. #8088Walter pysell2024-04-26 05:33

    I was born in 1960 Started with trucks in 75..at 15 Hauling logs off our mountain in WV with a single axle Ford F600 4 and 2 spd tranny Vacuum over hydraulic brakes It was interesting to say the least

  8089. #8089Hank R2024-04-26 07:40
  8090. #8090Truck Shop2024-04-26 08:31

    This is perfect for the 2%er. *

  8091. #8091skyking12024-04-26 09:25

    ours was a 1964? with the 292 with that smoking hot crossover under the hood.

  8092. #809256wrench2024-04-26 09:57

    At the Ford dealership I hated doing tune-ups on those old Y-blocks with that crossover. Old farm trucks were plentiful where i grew up. I also occasionally got sent to do tuneups on Massey 510 combines with the SBC out in the field and got burned on the exhaust that ran across the top of the engine. Fun times lol

  8093. #809356wrench2024-04-26 09:59

    Hey, TS. Whats the history on the FL with the Ramirez hood?

  8094. #8094Acoals2024-04-26 10:55

    Wannabe ride . . .

  8095. #8095Truck Shop2024-04-26 14:20

    It was a proto-type, it had several different styles of hoods used, this just happen to be one of them. Ramirez was a Mexican truck manufacture that sold trucks with that hood. Best info I have.

  8096. #8096Truck Shop2024-04-26 14:31

    Ford had a real issue with the Y blocks vapor locking, because the fuel line ran between exhaust crossover and cylinder head. Once the fuel pump started to get a little age on it it was just about a sure thing to vapor lock. I was at a farm years ago and looking at a F600 that had a Y block--the fuel line looked like a porcupine with all the clothes pins attached. The other issue was cam bearings wore real bad then hardly any oil would get to the rockers. I had one come in the the shop--you could hear it squeaking at idle. I removed the rocker cover--it was rust dust particles. There was the Ford band-aid of external oil lines running to the rocker covers to get oil to rockers. Another was a 312 that I removed the oil pan on because of a leaking rear main. There were 7 oil pump drive rods laying in the gray Teflon goo in the bottom of pan.

  8097. #8097Truck Shop2024-04-26 14:37

    How many of the HEF members remember changing a Rope rear main seal? Using the Sneaky Pete--chinese finger. Those rope seals were a b!tch to remove and install---some of these young fellers on here need to do a few of those just to get a taste of yesteryear.

  8098. #8098HATCHEQUIP2024-04-26 14:49

    Did Autocar an Studebaker have something together

  8099. #8099skyking12024-04-26 14:50

    No sir but I remember that top oiler plumbing on that 292, the band aid.

  8100. #8100Truck Shop2024-04-26 19:11

    Not as far as I know. Autocar later was owned by White.

  8101. #8101Truck Shop2024-04-26 19:36

    Americans----really don't know how good they have it. *

  8102. #8102willie592024-04-26 20:21

    And for those who have never visited WV coal and log country, there is no flat ground, zero.

  8103. #8103cfherrman2024-04-26 20:47

    I think I helped my brother change one in the snow on his 302. You had to push it around the crank is what I remember

  8104. #8104Truck Shop2024-04-26 21:28

    WV has no valleys which means there are no streams, zero.

  8105. #8105Truck Shop2024-04-26 21:35

    The 302 never had a rope seal, the 302 came out in 1968 and Ford stopped using Rope in 1966. 67 on rear mains were two piece neoprene.

  8106. #8106Old Doug2024-04-27 08:26

    The 63 f600 i use now had a 292 . I replaced its rear main and the bearings were worn . I had a rebuilt 330 out in a 64 . It is a major job to swap the 330 were a y block was . Every one said i would be disapointed . The 330 has been ok but there is alot of diffrents in the 2 engines . For me removing a rope seal is worse than installing one but about all them can be replaced with a neoprene . The 292 was a good engine if you took care of it .

  8107. #810756wrench2024-04-27 10:23

    I’ve still got the rope seal tools in my toolbox. If a youngster won’t believe how a chinese finger grabs, just convince him/her to stick a finger in it and give it a pull

  8108. #8108stinky642024-04-27 10:56

    Apparently never been to WV. or it's medication time. Just lobbed that one out there for schits and giggles.

  8109. #8109skyking12024-04-27 10:58

    Check your sarCHASM meter. One of my fave WV features.

  8110. #8110stinky642024-04-27 11:02

    sarCHASM meter.....priceless.

  8111. #8111mowingman2024-04-27 11:23

    New River bridge?

  8112. #8112kshansen2024-04-27 15:24

    Not positive but think I've been over that little bridge years back. Do you know where it is?

  8113. #8113Truck Shop2024-04-27 15:32

    Your correct I haven't been--Plus have no intension of going---Oh wait a second I have too-- 1960 I was 4 years old traveled by car to MD and ARK. Wisconsin straight down in recent times. My point is there are flat areas--the bottom of valleys. But if we are going to have a contest on Mountains my state kind of wipes most all out in the lower 48. Plus it has just about the most diverse climate. * Once past the Rockies there isn't even a good hill or tree.

  8114. #8114stinky642024-04-27 15:47

    Have been under that "little" bridge 2x in a raft and up top for Bridge Fest once. Was gonna do the bungee jump but gonads shrunk while standing in line . Mr. Hansen if you weren't being a smartass New River Bridge Rt. 19, Fayetteville W.V.

  8115. #8115Truck Shop2024-04-27 15:53

    Enough geography-----leave that to vetechs thread, it needs it.

  8116. #8116stinky642024-04-27 15:56

    Just one more, there actually is a Flat Top, West Virginia

  8117. #8117skyking12024-04-27 16:10
  8118. #8118stinky642024-04-27 16:18

    Apparently that Jimmy has more balls than Mr. Stinky.

  8119. #8119Truck Shop2024-04-27 17:25

    There is no perfectly good bungee, everyone has a defect somewhere. Remember the one that snapped and smacked your face.

  8120. #8120kshansen2024-04-27 18:08

    Was replying before I read the post that mentioned "New River Bridge in WV" And I did recall something about the Bungee Jumping from it. I was about at my limits riding my sidecar outfit over it!

  8121. #8121stinky642024-04-28 10:35

    Learned at young age never trust a stretched bungee the hard way, yep right to the kisser. Got smacked in the coconut once just walking past a tarped flatbed at a T/A, it just let go and scared the crap out of me. "You can take an eye out with those things"

  8122. #8122Truck Shop2024-04-28 16:31
  8123. #8123mowingman2024-04-28 17:39

    Nice WM300 Dodge Power Wagon. They have a great annual show for those each year, up in Fairfield, Iowa. Often have around 100 trucks attend.

  8124. #8124kshansen2024-04-28 18:15

    Maybe it's just me but I think that would look better with mud dripping off it and the cable from the winch pulling some "wanna-be" four wheel drive out of a mud hole! I actually had one opportunity to work on a Power Wagon years ago at a friends cabin out in the woods in the Adirondacks. It had not been run in a couple years. My self and another guy, who just happened to be an instructor for mechanics at Morrisville Tech here in NY. Forget who did what on it, one of us had at the distribute cleaning points and such and the other opened the carb up and cleaned some nasty stuff out. A few minutes on a charger and sure enough it started up then we proceeded to pull some old stumps and brush out of the guys yard. Other than the nasty black flies that tried to eat you anytime you were outside that was a good weekend.

  8125. #8125Truck Shop2024-04-28 18:32

    Years ago where I lived a guy had collected I guess a dozen of 300's of all years. Had them hidden behind a barn and trees. I think there was a PW military ambulance as well. Anyway he died, no wife, no children pretty much a recluse spider. The property became tied up and everything on it because he had no will. He owed back taxes and a few other problems to go with it, so probate. In the end the property was sold and the place leveled. From what I was told at the time all the PW's went for scrap. This was in the late 70's early 80's and at that time there wasn't allot of interest in the old PW's like today.

  8126. #8126crane operator2024-04-28 20:41

    Spotted in a parking lot Friday. They were supposed to have a trans am show saturday, but I didn't get past there. Did see a "bandit" complete with screaming chicken on the hood and a big CB antenna at the gas station.

  8127. #8127Camshawn2024-04-28 20:42

    Blacksmith at work retired and shortly after, while camping with his wife, a tarp strap/bungy let go and the hook pierced his eye. Wife had to drive the rig out of the bush a few hrs and then on to the hospital. He now has a blind spot In that eye.

  8128. #8128crane operator2024-04-28 20:46

    I had a angel looking out for me, when the bungee went, it grazed my eye just enough to break my plastic contact lens in three pieces, and my eye was sore for days. But no permanent injury.

  8129. #8129Truck Shop2024-04-28 21:59

    The true description of a bungee--whipper snapper.

  8130. #8130skyking12024-04-29 14:40

    I think this is parts for a cherry job that's going together in the shop here at Freightliner. It looks like it got arseholed while it was down. I hate that when somebody hits you when you're down.

  8131. #8131Truck Shop2024-04-29 14:48

    That's a pretty used up 351, aluminum rails, roughly 1968 vintage.

  8132. #8132Truck Shop2024-04-29 15:13

    This whole thing that took place back in early 80's with trucks, Sam Pruitt-Movin On, Smokey & the Bandit, BJ & the Bear. Was then is now--crap for people to marvel at that don't have too many marbles.

  8133. #8133skyking12024-04-29 18:13

    My favorite part about that movie is watching. Somebody put their hand on a greasy fifth wheel like it was normal to put your hand on a greasy fifth wheel. I had it exactly right. There's a little hot rod 351 in the body shop there for a owner of a large trucking company. That 351is just there for whatever they need to carve off of it.

  8134. #8134stinky642024-04-29 18:18

    Watched 2 whole episodes of Movin-On late last night, comes through on one of the watch for free channels on my new smarty-pants TV. Just 2 months ago upgraded from my old RCA bubble TV, finally ***** the bed after 30 years, just don't make anything to last these days.

  8135. #8135stinky642024-04-29 18:27

    Many moons ago at CF, worked with this little feller Bobby Marotta who was like one of them little arf, arf dogs never quit bitchin'. One day he was flapping his gums at a big old Hungarian dude who really didn't like him too much, Old dude picked him up like a rag doll and sat him right on top of a freshly greased fifth wheel with his legs dangling. Don't think I had ever laughed so hard in my life. Aaahh the good old days.

  8136. #8136Truck Shop2024-04-29 18:45

    Too big of a spoof, driving truck is just another job like any job.

  8137. #8137Truck Shop2024-04-29 18:51

    Every shop, every trucking company has its banty roosters. Then there are the short roosters that are left handed too.

  8138. #8138Acoals2024-04-29 22:22

    A mind numbing job . . .

  8139. #8139Truck Shop2024-04-30 22:02

    No more mind numbing than swinging back and forth digging a trench, and pretty soon it will be done AI & GPS. Most of what people do is repetitive & mundane after so long. They don't admit their bored & the challenge is gone. Their positive in life is the coming weekend and a trip to Costco to spend what they don't have. The Costco trip becomes a job just like any other.

  8140. #8140Dom2024-05-01 12:58

    I'm a CPA and my day job is implementing Accounting/business software. a new AI tool is on the market and it's role is to assist with recommending the type of information the business needs to track for success, which is normally a role for the CFO and controller. The software got wisely named Co-Pilot to not make it sound like a full replacement of a CFO. AI is on the rise, and the general accountant functions are dramatically being changed. Heavy equipment is a hobby of mine, I enjoy reading about equipment for those that wonder why I'm here.

  8141. #8141Truck Shop2024-05-01 14:30

    It's infiltrating pretty much all areas. The best idea is to have something to market to compensate for loss of work/income. Like--a instructional video of how to whittle a wooden beak/bill to wear so one can go peck **** with the chickens.

  8142. #8142Truck Shop2024-05-01 20:58

    PipinoFacebook www.facebook.com

  8143. #8143skyking12024-05-01 21:16

    Go to the back. Those would be the fun seats. WEEEEEE!

  8144. #8144Truck Shop2024-05-01 21:30

    That's a freeway there, people here b!tch if they were hung with a new rope.

  8145. #8145Truck Shop2024-05-01 21:54

    Have noticed lately ---- the male attitude has gotten rather smart ***--mainly in younger ones. I'm not going to do this, that, or any other damn thing, followed by a {you can't make me either}. A constant flow of I'm being abused by having to pay tax, I'm being abused by having to follow the laws on my truck, I'm being abused by being forced to have a cdl, and so on. Get your fiddle out and start see-sawing and finish by crying me a river.

  8146. #8146materthegreater2024-05-02 21:49
  8147. #8147Truck Shop2024-05-03 17:40
  8148. #8148Truck Shop2024-05-04 19:18

    1955 350 Pete--This how those opened up for minor work. *

  8149. #814956wrench2024-05-05 09:34

    Uhgggg! I’m old now. I can’t contort my body like that any more

  8150. #8150Truck Shop2024-05-05 09:39

    Reality of those rigs whether driving or repairing--would make an old man out of you.

  8151. #8151Truck Shop2024-05-05 10:11

    1949. *

  8152. #8152Hank R2024-05-05 11:49
  8153. #8153Truck Shop2024-05-05 13:30

    An early Star-those are always good.

  8154. #8154Truck Shop2024-05-05 13:46

    The Eisenhour Freighter built from late 40's to mid 50's. *

  8155. #8155skyking12024-05-05 14:06

    very cool and complicated. Twin engine twin steer rear steer, all to keep from dragging a trailer.

  8156. #8156Truck Shop2024-05-05 19:18

    Around town.

  8157. #8157HATCHEQUIP2024-05-06 08:24
  8158. #8158Truck Shop2024-05-06 08:28

    Yeah that was the first round-model.

  8159. #8159cfherrman2024-05-06 08:33

    Power steering is not needed

  8160. #8160HATCHEQUIP2024-05-06 09:18

    Arms like a gorilla are

  8161. #8161kshansen2024-05-07 07:49

    And a whopping 186 hp from those two engines!

  8162. #8162HATCHEQUIP2024-05-07 08:22

    WFO

  8163. #8163Truck Shop2024-05-08 22:54
  8164. #8164Pony2024-05-10 03:59

    W923 mid 60's carting wool Western Queensland.

  8165. #8165Truck Shop2024-05-11 16:52

    Bob Spooner---bought this Pete in 1961, still driving, has I guess 8 plus million miles. Never met him but have seen the truck rolling on I-84. *

  8166. #8166Hank R2024-05-11 19:38

    Met him in Salem and talked he is a super interesting Man glad to meet him.

  8167. #8167Truck Shop2024-05-13 10:03

    Management in a suit and sombrero of distinction, trying to convince someone else to drive the smoke belching serpent down the road of winter. A quote. *

  8168. #8168Hank R2024-05-13 16:31
  8169. #8169kshansen2024-05-13 18:10

    Ok, What is that trailer for? Also wonder what engine is in the truck with that long hood! Well I think I answered one of my questions as a Google search showed that rig with a couple classic cars on the trailer.

  8170. #8170Truck Shop2024-05-13 18:57

    That more than likely was powered originally by a inline 6-71. the common engine for that model. In 1939 was the start & ended in 49. 12 different diesel engines were offered in those years.

  8171. #8171skyking12024-05-13 21:24

    to that end, I wonder how many different engines have been through that 8 million mile Pete?

  8172. #8172Truck Shop2024-05-13 22:19

    More than a few.

  8173. #8173Hank R2024-05-14 10:46
  8174. #8174skyking12024-05-14 10:54

    I want the machinery!

  8175. #8175MarcusZ19672024-05-14 11:22

    With the bunch of shafting and wheels on the ceiling!!

  8176. #8176HATCHEQUIP2024-05-14 14:49

    Let the water wheel roll, let the water wheel roll

  8177. #8177Truck Shop2024-05-14 16:55

    An L & I nightmare.

  8178. #8178skyking12024-05-14 17:59

    just gimmie the brake. That is all I need.

  8179. #8179MarcusZ19672024-05-14 18:21

    Kinda hard to hook that up to steam..... Jus say'n

  8180. #8180Truck Shop2024-05-14 18:36

    You want a brake, one brake coming up.

  8181. #8181Truck Shop2024-05-14 18:56

    This guy must be a member of hef. *

  8182. #8182skyking12024-05-14 19:01

    YOU get under there and change the oil!! No YOU do it!!

  8183. #8183kshansen2024-05-14 19:52

    Did someone forget to unlatch the tailgate?

  8184. #8184Truck Shop2024-05-14 20:56

    I really enjoy the humorous ideas and replies to trucking rules/regulations. People wasting time, effort & money to circumvent the laws because it's felt those laws are impeding what they feel should be freee to do as they please, nothing but a hindrance to them. Never bothering to explore what's needed long before hand, getting the cart before the horse by buying the truck first then ask questions later. Rather poor business practice. But what is really interesting is the extent some will go, instead of just paying up like the big boys do, if it can't be afforded probably should find another line of work.

  8185. #8185Hank R2024-05-14 22:15
  8186. #8186Hank R2024-05-14 22:16
  8187. #8187cfherrman2024-05-15 09:03

    I'm going to use that buying the cart first Love that mack especially the downhill remark

  8188. #818856wrench2024-05-15 09:21

    Those old mack wheels sure look easy to install loop chains on for more traction

  8189. #8189Truck Shop2024-05-15 09:25

    What year at Brooks--Hank?

  8190. #8190Hank R2024-05-15 10:52

    Salem 2016

  8191. #8191Hank R2024-05-15 10:56
  8192. #8192Truck Shop2024-05-15 16:16

    I went last year to the Brooks/Salem show, it was a total let down, last time I go that far for a show or probably any other show

  8193. #8193Hank R2024-05-15 19:25

    I was going to go to the Reno show a couple years ago but did not I was glad I did not just not into Rad Rod trucks.

  8194. #8194Truck Shop2024-05-15 19:36

    The issue I had was the two guy's I went with said there weren't many old original trucks as years ago. Mostly stuff I just don't want to drive that far to see, I can go to any truck stop and see the same thing. I went to see old originals.

  8195. #8195Truck Shop2024-05-16 08:13

    IH Coaster. *

  8196. #8196Hank R2024-05-16 13:47
  8197. #8197Truck Shop2024-05-16 18:57
  8198. #8198Truck Shop2024-05-16 21:29

    The car is a 1909/10 Maxwell Roadster IIRC.

  8199. #8199JaredV2024-05-16 21:49

    Jack Benny with Rochester at the wheel would be right at home in it.

  8200. #820056wrench2024-05-17 09:08

    Or Laurel and Hardy

  8201. #8201Hank R2024-05-17 10:23
  8202. #8202Pops522024-05-17 11:19

    @Hank R Heres a pic I took of that same truck in the background while in Virginia City several years ago after the Reno ATHS show. 74 Hayes?

  8203. #8203Hank R2024-05-17 16:04

    It was on my list for tomorrow but here is mine.

  8204. #8204Pops522024-05-17 16:38

    So that was you parked in V.City!

  8205. #8205HATCHEQUIP2024-05-17 17:22

    I like the big boob for the air horn

  8206. #8206Truck Shop2024-05-17 17:42

    Nice Hayes as far as the owner not so much.

  8207. #8207Truck Shop2024-05-17 17:52

    One group I really can't stand----ATHS-American Truck Historical Society. It's like all groups, allot of people talking allot of crap, quit that waste of time years ago.

  8208. #8208Hank R2024-05-17 19:15

    Not my truck seen it several time its a Alberta truck

  8209. #8209Truck Shop2024-05-17 20:08

    I know--Trevor owns it.

  8210. #8210Hank R2024-05-17 23:13

    A year or so ago Wheels of time did a great story about Trevor and his rebuild of this Clipper.

  8211. #8211Truck Shop2024-05-18 01:07

    That's good Hank good for him-----I don't read wheels of time.

  8212. #8212Truck Shop2024-05-18 01:49

    Wow people are really desperate--proud to drag a pile like this home for a project. These N series were junk when new & a total crap wagon to work on. But if you look--in the distance he has a collection of other crap wagons--a portable crusher needs to visit this guy. *

  8213. #8213cfherrman2024-05-18 09:24

    I saw a video of one of those with a 671, total crap to work on the engine unless you enjoy working on it from the drivers seat

  8214. #8214525isx2024-05-18 14:46

    it's just like some guys want an old mack, what ever a person wants

  8215. #8215Truck Shop2024-05-18 15:11

    True--except the macks have some body line appeal, those n series have none.

  8216. #8216Truck Shop2024-05-18 16:30

    True--except the macks have some body line appeal, those n series have none.

  8217. #8217Truck Shop2024-05-18 16:32

    Damn thing looks like a pipe organ or steam calliope at a carnival. *

  8218. #8218kshansen2024-05-18 18:27

    Should be good for running in flooded areas, just needs to add a periscope for when water gets above the windshield!

  8219. #8219cfherrman2024-05-18 19:01

    What year is this pig, and model? 10 digit vin

  8220. #8220Truck Shop2024-05-18 21:17

    Mid 70's or so--falls under a DM models, most of my mack info is 70 and down.

  8221. #8221Truck Shop2024-05-18 21:18

    1960 850--South American somewhere. *

  8222. #8222kshansen2024-05-19 18:57

    DM of some version I'm sure. Looks like the front axle is set back from what we had at the quarries. On ours the front of the fenders were only a couple inches back from the front edge of the radiator shell. Not one of ours but this is what the front ends looked like: Also had a few DM600's looked about the same but something like a foot shorter from firewall to front of radiator. They were a bit of a pain to work on at times as close to half the engine was at or behind the firewall. Pulling liners for an in-chassis overhaul was a bit of a challenge!

  8223. #8223terex herder2024-07-25 22:48

    Saw this fellow today. 1980 model Paymaster Truck Corporation. No data on powertrain

  8224. #8224Truck Shop2024-07-25 22:52

    Those were built near Portland Ore, Ryder tried a few. didn't last long. Some had Detroits and a few Cummins-IIRC.

  8225. #8225skyking12024-07-25 22:58

    I remember those. It looks like a locust face.

  8226. #8226Welder Dave2024-07-26 03:02

    Still look better than a Tesla.

  8227. #8227525isx2024-07-26 06:14

    If I remember correctly, a fellow named Dean Hobifstein (something like that) invented the paymaster, he was from portland area, and got ryder involved for development. a brief article in log trucker mag years ago featured him, was hauling lumber out of a mill in nw oregon

  8228. #8228Truck Shop2024-07-26 08:07

    The Antarctic Snow Cruiser: Historical Photos of an One-Of-A-Kind Vehicle that Turned Out to Be a Colossal Failure, 1939-1940 - Rare Historical Photos The Antarctic Snow Cruiser was developed under the direction of the explorer Admiral Richard Byrd and it was intended to facilitate transport in Antarctica. rarehistoricalphotos.com * Speaking of Flops.

  8229. #8229Hank R2024-07-26 10:44

    Interesting read thanks TS

  8230. #8230kshansen2024-07-26 14:33

    Forget the full story of the Snow Cruiser but I believe it at one time passed through very near to where I live, actually a photo of it going through the small village down the road in the small diner where we get breakfast on Sundys!

  8231. #8231HATCHEQUIP2024-07-26 15:03

    No traction and low power ya said , go get me some more chains and crap to strap on the tires and 2 pair of vise grips. Great read TS

  8232. #8232DIYDAVE2024-07-26 16:42

    Good read, though it takes the government to waste money, on that scale... This popped up in my YouTube feed, the other day:

  8233. #8233Truck Shop2024-07-26 23:03

    Oh no--------------------restarting a dead thread.

  8234. #8234Welder Dave2024-07-26 23:31

    There's a Labatts Brewery in Edmonton and they brew Budweiser since the parent company also own Anheuser Busch. Interestingly my welding teacher worked on the brewery. It opened in 1964 and has had a few expansions over the years. A lot of stainless piping requiring Tig welding. The brewery was designed for easy expansion without shutting down. In 2021 it had a $69.2 million dollar expansion.

  8235. #8235Welder Dave2024-07-26 23:37

    Smooth tires, extra heavy and for use in deep snow and on ice. Certainly wasn't a recipe for success. Maybe the designer had no experience with deep snow so figured it was similar to sand???

  8236. #8236colson042024-07-27 07:57

    That snow cruiser was a pretty ambitious project for the time. Too bad they hadn't come up with a tracked platform instead of the oversized, smooth tires. It might have been a more successful venture for them in 1940. The first successful trans-Antarctic Expedition by powered vehicle used a modified Tucker Sno-Cat. Antarctic Crossing - with Dogs and a (Sno) Cat The inhospitable South Pole has always fascinated explorers, many of whom perished or endured extreme hardship in attempting to reach this totemic part of the globe. The first successful crossing of Antarctica, via the South Pole was carried out by the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition... automobilist.com

  8237. #8237Truck Shop2024-07-27 08:16

    Lets see---crash news of the week. Milton Freewater Or, driver pulls into field with A train, 40x20. Bank out wagon pulls along side starts dumping grain in front bin front trailer. Bank out driver notices the truck pulling ahead, then sees driver is standing next to the pup trailer. And along it sped picking up speed over the brow it went, one witness said it rolled at least 5 times. forgot to set his brakes..

  8238. #8238DMiller2024-07-27 13:26

    OOOPSIE!!!!

  8239. #8239Truck Shop2024-07-27 22:13

    I have a better OOOPSIE than that, happened 3 years back. I'll post some photos in picture thread. It will cause everyone one on here to experience a tightening of the sphincter. * How about a air borne Challenger 75 with bank out wagon.

  8240. #8240Truck Shop2024-07-27 22:39

    New help at the grain terminal where I deliver to on the Snake River/Lyons Ferry. So some knowledge was lost with the change. Plus allot of new help everywhere-drivers cutting crews. To make a long story short I did my good deed for the day. Both lanes were backed up with trucks to unload, I chose the lane with the flat house/inside unloading. It's real narrow about 3.5' wide on either side with a 80' scale and dump pit just as you pull in. So all trucks have to weigh then back up dumping truck first then trailer if a truck trailer combo. Easy for a rookie to get sideways real quick. * Two trucks ahead of me and one in the flat house--he couldn't back up got tied-up inside. The two drivers ahead of me were all pissed off because of the wait/which started a argument. I walked up and said {this is getting us nowhere-I'll help you, just drive out go around pull up behind me, when I'm done I'll run over and show you the best way--OK. * When it became his turn-I stood on the running board riding in. Stop! These guys pull all the way up to the ticket printer instead of just getting the last trailer axle on the scale to shorten backing distance. Get out walk up get the ticket then keep the steers straight and just back up. It got a big grin out of him to actually do it with someone yakking at him keeping him on point. * No need to raise hell over a simple job.

  8241. #8241Hank R2024-07-28 10:34

    Also in the late 70,s someone imported several Oshkosh, to New Zealand. I think there were 6 or 8 of them and they all went into one company. The cab over ones had Cat power, while the conventionals had Detroit power,8V71,s. Not sure if any of them have been saved from the scrap heap, they were certainly different, but they got the job done.

  8242. #8242Truck Shop2024-07-28 17:15
  8243. #8243Truck Shop2024-07-29 08:22
  8244. #8244Truck Shop2024-07-29 21:36

    7 years ago this Star sold for 15K--it recently resold for 48K.

  8245. #8245Truck Shop2024-07-29 22:07
  8246. #8246Truck Shop2024-07-30 08:12

    This is what happens when people with hobby ideas get involved with commercial items. Direct example is the muscle car market--that was ok, those were just worthless gas hogs to begin with. But this hobby {I want one too} business drove the used market before emissions came along, both hobby/emissions drove the used market into totally unrealistic area.

  8247. #8247Truck Shop2024-08-04 21:58
  8248. #824892U 34062024-08-04 23:20

    Seems like everyone owns an old Pete but you don't see old sweethearts like the Stars much anymore. They definitely grab my attention.

  8249. #8249DMiller2024-08-05 07:01

    Old Kelowna Cabs did not stand up too well. Rust was a big problem of those. Whites, Stars, A-Cars. Appears that Fella Stole my Stack Protection Mod!!!

  8250. #8250Truck Shop2024-08-05 07:41

    They were strong enough design wise, problem was areas that held moisture, and no drains. In those years of smaller cabs that one had more room than a PacCar

  8251. #8251DMiller2024-08-05 08:32

    All welded, Unibody style, was strong but heavy and were quite roomy back in the day. Liked driving the old Whites and Acars.

  8252. #825256wrench2024-08-05 10:43

    I had a ‘79 White/Western Star that was well used when i got it. In its day, it was the top of the line. Nice interior and dash, red dot a/c, Cummins, 15direct. When i retired i sold it to my brother-in -law. Its still going. Sometimes i miss it

  8253. #825392U 34062024-08-05 11:06

    Was a sad day when Daimler bought them out and closed the factory. Company my dad worked for back in the early 90s bought a bunch of new ones and they let a few guys take a factory tour of the Kelowna location. Not sure if I posted this one before. The last one off the line in Kelowna:

  8254. #8254Truck Shop2024-08-05 22:33

    I'm sort of looking for one. My favorite ad. *

  8255. #8255DMiller2024-08-06 04:51

    Star or Acar with an old Kelowna steel, was gonna be my choice for the project truck, then the KW presented itself. Just not enough of them survived solid enough to build.

  8256. #8256Oxbow2024-08-06 21:22

    Many of you may have seen this, but I stumbled across it this evening and got a kick out of it.

  8257. #8257Truck Shop2024-08-06 22:39

    Oh yah seen that one before, there was a nice KB14 in brooks last year.

  8258. #8258colson042024-08-06 23:27

    Part 2:

  8259. #8259Truck Shop2024-08-07 07:33

    There is a bunch of old odd equipment at that miner 49er's place, lots of videos of stuff there.

  8260. #8260DMiller2024-08-09 05:07

    On the interstate yesterday saw a K100 headed the Other way dragging a flat rack, had twin air intake ‘Bonnets’ behind the cab where had not seen that since the 1980s. Not certain what power it had as only saw it a moment.

  8261. #8261DMiller2024-08-09 05:16

    In other visualizations, suspect dispatching is getting desperate or times have changed drastically. Been seeing a great deal of bed bug haulers more recently and then the Pods or UHaul Upack containers on Flat Racks paid little attention until truck names caught my eye. Maverick, CR England, R&L freight. Then took notice Old Dominion, R&L, other LTL dry box companies advertising as Moving Support companies. Bed Bug hauling is either paying better or all too many are moving ‘A LOT’! Started taking stock of these while delivering along I-70, see 2-3 ‘Pod type System’ trucks over an hour stretch in either direction every time on the slab.

  8262. #8262colson042024-08-09 06:56

    I was hauling straw a couple weeks back and saw this guy at an intersection. Never seen it before or since. (KW Cabover pulling a 3 axle lead) I'm sure it had to have been a rough ride off road, sitting right over the front axle like that.

  8263. #8263Pony2024-08-11 15:44

    Here you go DMiller, a bit of inspiration, a little bit of fab work and you won't need to buy a trailer for a RSH.

  8264. #8264MarcusZ19672024-08-11 15:56

    Saw in town today. I couldn't get the dang phone outta the pocket in time to get the front.

  8265. #8265DMiller2024-08-11 16:25

    IF I had enough Angst and Inkling along with Age Time, would buy trade or swap to another derelict and do something as That, be STRICTLY a Trailer Toter, Show Off Rig. Wonder where Hides Fuel tanks??

  8266. #8266MarcusZ19672024-08-11 16:41

    Funny thing is..... I don't remember seeing any...... That didn't strike me till you mentioned it.

  8267. #8267Truck Shop2024-08-11 16:43

    Cab overs were bad in their day and still bad, it's just a young generation that's trying to reinvent the wheel. When laws changed for bridge us old guys now young then dumped those cabovers in a heartbeat. Can't stand up and put your pants on, beat the crap out of you-roads were better then then now. Most of the major freeways need major repair. Highway 99 from Sacramento to Bakersfield was rough as a cob back then, I-5 wasn't so bad at that time. Just a bunch trying to be old school--they don't get why old schoolers dropped cabovers, I would imagine most of these ones running today have patched doghouse/tunnels because most cracked out years back.

  8268. #8268DMiller2024-08-11 16:48

    Owned a K100C, Damn Dash was a CONSTANT retighten all fasteners or wear the plastic covers and bounce the switch panels out. Cracks were a Normal. had intended after bought it to trade it at some point to a 900A. Around SLC the roads were just Nasty, Mormons did NOT want immigrants from other states so Roads Maintenance was crappy at best.

  8269. #8269Truck Shop2024-08-11 16:48

    RSH toter---I built this so front drive could be removed and a single Reyco AR102 air ride bolted in--would have been real easy to install, could have had a very large crap house installed. *

  8270. #8270DMiller2024-08-11 16:51

    Sure Was/Is purty, WB just a Skosh Too Long, should have considered singling up the 900L and replacing rails, ah for extra cash to have done so.

  8271. #8271Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:03

    It was 280" WB--only reason it looks so long is the nose and small cab, could have installed a 64" flat top sleeper real easy. Looks are deceiving. But only a few people ever got to drive it and every one of them said it had a tighter turning radius than ever thought.

  8272. #8272Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:08

    But even though in the end I was glad to sell it----the great thing about it---- was the fact it really pissed off the original only mack guys. They just hated what I did to that B75, which made me like it just for that reason and the fact there is no other like it.

  8273. #8273Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:20

    A custom built long hood Star. *

  8274. #8274Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:21
  8275. #8275Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:26

    And a rare 110 sleep 4070 IH, only ever seen two IIRC. *

  8276. #8276DMiller2024-08-11 17:26

    Liked it a Lot!! An original. 900L is roughly 268wb

  8277. #8277Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:32

    I drove the sister to this one--looked just like it. 400 Cat with a 15 & 3.73's, good truck but it was still just another cabover. *

  8278. #827892U 34062024-08-11 17:43

    Description says its the only factory built 3408 powered Star known to exist. I find that hard to believe but who knows. Sweet truck either way.

  8279. #8279Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:45

    I still have a hard time sometimes thinking I took a piece of crap {that should have been scrapped} and stuck with it turning trash into something like it ended. *

  8280. #8280Truck Shop2024-08-11 17:48

    I've seen that--I think it's possible, it's the only one I've seen.

  8281. #8281DMiller2024-08-11 17:59

    I have only Seen One 4070 factory double. Never did see a 4090 as you. Not ever seen a Star with a 3408. Have seen a Purple Allis in a Freightliner 8664

  8282. #8282Truck Shop2024-08-11 18:07

    All the time I put into that cab building mirror brackets, dash parts & pieces, custom air panel, and polished stuff is hard to think about or remember. The doors shut on it with a crisp click. I had to completely rebuild most all small parts to doors. The wife wanted to kill me when done, I was never home working on it round the clock it seemed. I know I lost weight at that time, I had to buy a size smaller waste in pants. The hidden truth---my wife suffered a mental break down during that time from being fired from her job with the power company, she had thoughts of suicide, I damn near scrapped the whole thing. As a matter of fact I had my friend Steve & his son Bobby come pick it up and take it to their place and told them to drop a weight on it. Steve and Bobby put it in their shop, the wife said to finish it so it's why in this photo it's in a different place for a while till I got things together with the wife and was able to finish. I didn't know if I would come home and find her gone, it worried the hell out of me. So when it was finished it was time to see it gone, and things settled out for her with time. Which is what really mattered for me and her. Photo setting in Steve's shop. *

  8283. #8283DMiller2024-08-11 18:15

    It was a Massive undertaking, far more than my little piece together.

  8284. #828492U 34062024-08-11 18:16

    Shame they went under. They had some really nice iron. I was never a fan of highway trucks like the 359, 379, W9L etc. A heavy spec work truck always catches my eye first.

  8285. #8285Truck Shop2024-08-11 18:25

    Just like this company Parker, big power back in the days of the classics. Then gone. *

  8286. #8286mks2024-08-11 19:00

    Much respect TS.

  8287. #8287Truck Shop2024-08-11 21:15

    Thanks mks.

  8288. #8288Truck Shop2024-08-11 21:24

    Like I've said many times--show me a frying pan & stove big enough to fricassee anything with tires and a engine, you can't eat it and it won't love you back. It has no feelings it's just a inanimate object.

  8289. #8289mekanik2024-08-14 07:12

    I was helping a friend cut and load some firewood.We were on private property with the owners permission. There was a lot of old iron on the property. This 1960 B-815 Mack has trees growing up through the frame. It says Thermodyne Diesel on the hood but it has a Detroit 8V-71T in it.

  8290. #8290DMiller2024-08-14 07:19

    OMG!!, JY will be on that in short order!!

  8291. #8291Truck Shop2024-08-14 09:31

    Canadians don't really give up their iron items much.

  8292. #8292Truck Shop2024-08-14 19:55

    Might have to buy this critter. 1972 4000 White, small cam 855 with a ten. Zero rust. Know some who might be interested in hoist/bed/hydraulics & grain racks. Then it would be extremely cheap. *

  8293. #8293Old Doug2024-08-14 20:10

    If you were closer i want a bed to build a dump trailer.

  8294. #8294Truck Shop2024-08-14 20:44

    The price of steel to build a 20' all steel is pretty spendy.

  8295. #8295westerner2024-08-14 21:55

    What you gonna haul, TS?

  8296. #8296Truck Shop2024-08-14 21:56

    Sailboat fuel.

  8297. #8297Truck Shop2024-08-14 22:08

    The first early Western Stars were a direct copy of the 4000, just a different badge was all. *

  8298. #8298colson042024-08-14 22:40

    Old Western Stars just aren't a thing in my area. Lots of old Internationals and Fords still around for farm use, but not much else. I like it, thanks for sharing TruckShop

  8299. #8299DMiller2024-08-15 04:25

    Going to have the “Mags” chromed?

  8300. #8300DMiller2024-08-15 05:50

    Once long ago were primarily Vocational Use Chassis, Western Star, Autocar. Diamond also used the Kelowna Cab. The old 56 Diamond T I drove I thought had a eerily similar to IH Cab, not sure how many shared cab designs there ever were.

  8301. #8301Truck Shop2024-08-15 11:37

    Those would be drop shipped to Hermann Missouri at the main collection site.

  8302. #8302Truck Shop2024-08-15 19:44

    I don't normally have any questionable issues with videos, but this one I do. This is supposedly one of one 1986 359 Peterbilt with a 3408. I showed this video to my old partner in the shop {Gayle LeFore} about a year ago I guess time wise. Because Gayle had a 1986 359 EXHD with a 3408 and flattop sleeper. He shot through 3 3408's--two of them broke cranks. In the end {Around 1997} he removed the last one and installed a 550 hp E model. He just smiled and laughed at there being only one. *

  8303. #8303Truck Shop2024-08-16 19:38

    Canadian-1954 Mercury with a load of Olivers. Wouldn't do that today without a headache rack. *

  8304. #8304DMiller2024-08-17 06:51

    Weren’t Canuck Olivers Cockshutts?

  8305. #8305Truck Shop2024-08-17 09:23

    Could be I suppose, like the truck it's still just another tractor built by oliver.

  8306. #830656wrench2024-08-17 10:13

    In Canada, initially, there were Olivers and Cockshutts- two different companies. Cockshutt was a Canadian company in Ontario. Then in or around about 1961 Cockshutts were actually rebranded Olivers with different paint but same model numbering system. There were some green/white Olivers here at the same time but i’m not sure if they were sold by the same dealers.

  8307. #8307Truck Shop2024-08-17 17:06

    In another thread {Vetech's} the engineer talk/discussion, in most cases if it's designed & built no matter the machine the public will buy it & think about repairs later. The ill designed & horrible to repair- everyone's nightmare the Rolling **** House. RV's from the start years ago right up to 2024 are just possibly the worst piece of garbage rolling the interstate. And people just can't get enough of RV-ing. The funny part about them is no mater what kind of paint scheme, graphics once it's 5 years old it may well be 20 years old because age isn't nice to them. The mark of middle/ upper class society and most end up left rotting collecting mold in a storage area only to end life being sawed up landing in the landfill or a portable homeless shelter. From a luxury setting along side hwy 101 on the Oregon coast to some side street or alley surrounded by shopping carts. *

  8308. #8308Truck Shop2024-08-17 17:38

    Lets go rv-ing--the left overs of seeing America. All needing towed away because none will run. *

  8309. #8309DMiller2024-08-17 18:56

    Most over fifteen to twenty years end up as Lake cabins or Deer Camp cabins here

  8310. #8310Old Doug2024-08-17 19:10

    Luckily my Dad only had one . It's a Big all fiberglass With a Dodge 1 1/2 ton running gears. When it cools off this fall i will cut it up.

  8311. #8311Truck Shop2024-08-17 19:53

    A friend and others I know in the towing business--often get stuck towing off the junk. Very little is worth anything at all mostly shred once the plywood is removed and that's a bunch of work. Drive trains value is by the pound and most of that is lost in labor. A frame & running gear with no access because crap piled together to make a rolling house, never mind repairing. * Design--years ago I was given the job to rebuild a 392 IH in a Champion motor home. There was no front access, engine was disassembled to a short block and using a couple 4x4's through the windows and come-along dropped out the bottom with front axle removed. Now that was a pile. One thing about a motor home {as seen by the black spots on the sides of highways} those things burn real well.

  8312. #8312colson042024-08-17 19:55

    I've got one behind my house to strip down. I let 'free camper' get the better of me and towed one away from an old man's home not far from me. "Oh its great," he said. "You can go tour the country with the family, just needs the small roof leak patched up". He gave it to me because he needed it out of his yard to sell his place. Shoot. All 4 tires were junk. I rolled it the 4 miles home and one popped pulling into my driveway. Then I parked by my house and another one cut loose. Got tearing into the water leak and the walls are full of black mold through and through. Not worth the effort I put in to get it home. Now I'm going to strip it to the frame, build a new deck and use it for hauling our quads up north.

  8313. #8313Truck Shop2024-08-17 20:02

    Huge issue people don't think about, most any just from highway vibration the roof seams start leaking after so long and the mold takes off. One my friend just offed in the tow yard the mold was all along where floor met the walls.

  8314. #8314DMiller2024-08-17 20:24

    Still remember the bigger class 7s, bbc 454s or 460 Fords, unable to keep exhaust systems from manifolds back on them. Manifolds heat warped, bolts snapped, sit so long the down pipes mufflers and tailpipes just rotted away. Pulled many heads for exhaust gasket surface re milling so could pass inspections.

  8315. #8315Truck Shop2024-08-17 21:02

    454 starter wiring was responsible for many catching fire, exhaust manifolds melted the insulation.

  8316. #8316cfherrman2024-08-17 23:00

    Tie the camper part off to a tree, put a stick on the gas and put it in drive and hop out, cab should remove itself

  8317. #8317Birken Vogt2024-08-17 23:43

    Fast forward to 15:40

  8318. #8318DMiller2024-08-18 06:34

    Not much frame in the old Eagle American buses. Mainly Square Tube, NOT Square Pipe. Driver is Always First on Scene of the Accident!!

  8319. #8319cfherrman2024-08-18 09:07

    Not necessary lol

  8320. #8320Truck Shop2024-08-18 09:44

    The empire of RV sales lots for the northwest {Spokane, Post Falls Idaho}. A paradise of plywood and fiberglass. Really it all boils down to having your own place to crap, as told to me by a X--RV salesman. And probably rightly so after eating spoiled tater salad and chicken.

  8321. #8321Truck Shop2024-08-18 11:13

    Some years back late 90's early 2000's there were E6 treadle/foot valves being made out of ABS plastic. Those are known to distort with engine compartment heat, causing less air to brake valves and or sticking holding brakes on for a split second before fully releasing. A dangerous situation especially on slick roads, and excessive force necessary on application to stop vehicle. I got called last night to look at a truck with brake issues, it had one of these valves. I've replaced about four in my time just by rule. So if anyone on here finds a truck with a Black Plastic E6 valve--remove it and install the old metal standard unit below. *

  8322. #8322colson042024-08-18 16:07

    I'll take a look at our fleet. We have a couple Mack's and a Volvo that are in that Era.

  8323. #8323Truck Shop2024-08-18 16:39

    As far as I know this type was never installed on any new trucks, it was a aftermarket replacement. I don't remember if it was a Haldex or Neway.

  8324. #8324Truck Shop2024-08-18 18:35
  8325. #8325Truck Shop2024-08-20 21:12

    Got these last few items for BC 855, totally machined block & set of rods, might just put them up for sale. *

  8326. #8326Truck Shop2024-08-20 21:56

    A rare one, White only produced a small amount of model 4000 long hoods. *

  8327. #8327Hank R2024-08-21 19:22
  8328. #8328Hank R2024-08-21 20:01
  8329. #8329Truck Shop2024-08-23 20:08

    A nice 55. *

  8330. #8330RedTruck11002024-08-23 23:05

    I saw this '57 Kenworth in Clovis, NM in 1993.

  8331. #8331RedTruck11002024-08-23 23:07

    Inter-City Express, Nanaimo, B.C. 1975

  8332. #8332RedTruck11002024-08-23 23:17

    A very old Kenworth in Enumclaw, WA. Late 1980s.

  8333. #8333Truck Shop2024-08-24 09:11

    1933 to 34--were all 6 cylinder gas. 1935 is first year for diesel power using Cummins. *

  8334. #833456wrench2024-08-24 09:13

    Its got 2 different fenders. I wonder which one is correct

  8335. #8335Truck Shop2024-08-24 09:14

    1932 was Kenworth's earliest fire truck--which was still in use in 70's as stand by, Sumner Volunteer FD.

  8336. #8336Truck Shop2024-08-24 09:17

    The fender on right is correct the fender on left is 1932.

  8337. #8337DMiller2024-08-24 09:18

    Are both same, Left one has impact damage, note bent bumper.

  8338. #8338Truck Shop2024-08-24 09:22

    It actually does have two different.

  8339. #8339Truck Shop2024-08-24 09:34

    I don't think a one of any in that photo isn't twisted or modified some way.

  8340. #8340RedTruck11002024-08-24 11:48

    Mercury 1000

  8341. #8341Truck Shop2024-08-24 12:54

    Late 50's early 60's with Quad headlights. *

  8342. #8342DMiller2024-08-24 13:57

    Amazing that cab style remained into the 1980s/early 90s.

  8343. #8343Truck Shop2024-08-24 14:48

    Not sure but I think it's the longest production run of a business class cab.

  8344. #8344RedTruck11002024-08-24 14:58

    Bellevue, Alberta

  8345. #8345Truck Shop2024-08-24 15:02

    That's a Dia T in yellow mixed with the REO's, late 30's. *

  8346. #8346DMiller2024-08-24 15:05

    The Red one a Corn Queen?

  8347. #8347RedTruck11002024-08-24 15:07

    1948 Diamond T 501 Deluxe pickup that was originally green.

  8348. #8348RedTruck11002024-08-24 15:08

    That red one is a Diamond T.

  8349. #8349RedTruck11002024-08-24 15:10

    See the trim along the driver's door below the window.

  8350. #8350RedTruck11002024-08-24 17:51

    Mercury 4x4

  8351. #8351Truck Shop2024-08-24 18:26

    D-T used the IH cab in early 50's, on models like 422,622,660 & 662 right up through to 60's.

  8352. #8352DMiller2024-08-24 18:31

    That 56 I drove had that tiny Corn Queen cab. Split window and all.

  8353. #8353Truck Shop2024-08-24 18:32

    1936. my photo. *

  8354. #8354colson042024-08-24 19:00

    Love that classic car styling. There's a fantastic car museum about 10 miles from me - Gilmore Car Museum. They have lots of cars from all eras, but not many trucks. They have an entire barn (20,000 sq ft maybe? maybe bigger, not sure) dedicated to the Classic car Era.

  8355. #8355Truck Shop2024-08-24 19:56

    I do to, especially very limited edition classics. My favorite for sweeping design with a very near perfect grille. 1933 Hispano Suiza J12. *

  8356. #8356Truck Shop2024-08-24 20:03

    Really Studebaker had the best flowing designs during the 30's down IMO. A 1937. *

  8357. #8357DMiller2024-08-24 20:06

    Still Love the early 30s Packards and Deuse's Trucks or Not.

  8358. #8358Truck Shop2024-08-24 20:07

    For a classic outrageous design powered by twin Lycoming's----none exist today, only a handful built. Relay Duo-Drive. *

  8359. #8359Truck Shop2024-08-24 21:16

    1974 with center point, 350 and ten fairly straight, trailer goes with it 40' of scrap aluminum. cheap. *

  8360. #8360Hank R2024-08-24 22:35

    My friend here Jim this truck would of been his uncle's

  8361. #8361MarcusZ19672024-08-25 11:51

    Here is an old one. Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com

  8362. #8362Truck Shop2024-08-25 18:21

    A 1976-352 with a {A model Cat}, been setting there for awhile now. *

  8363. #8363DMiller2024-08-25 18:23

    Were decent driving COEs. Still COE.

  8364. #8364Truck Shop2024-08-25 21:10

    Yeah it's still a cabover----half the country wants to turn back the clock---------------- so the big three should bring back their models of cabovers------------------------------ {well we don't want to go back that far--that half would say}. The idealist romance of young truckers wanting to be old school would quickly dissipate. * Vinyl seat covers is another thing that should return, along with bias ply tires and drum brakes, get rid of those annoying safety items, seatbelts and airbags. The fact is the people who hate those items would be the first to whine. * Wheelbase is the key to getting a cabover to not shake you to pieces, 240" works well.

  8365. #8365DMiller2024-08-26 05:59

    Do not ever wish to repeat those days of No Sealing Freightshaker doors, postage stamp Corn Queen or Bulldog tandems that could turn on a dime and give a nickel back all the while you standing flat footed on the cab floor both hands on a steering wheel Armstronging that turn! Japanese Freightliners that cooked you on sunrises and froze you no matter the heater settings that also leaked at every seal. And from all of them the noise levels to make your head pound after a few hours on long days. The worst was the Two Story Air Ride Falcon, Motion sickness inducing masterpieces. Nope, not doin it!!

  8366. #8366Truck Shop2024-08-26 08:16

    See right there--{nope not no way not no how}, your too old anyway, retired and all of those things that go with it. * Oh my that TS is not being gracious again, screw the word gracious and all the words like it.

  8367. #8367cfherrman2024-08-26 09:01

    Cool picture

  8368. #8368stinky642024-08-26 11:31

    Aaahhh the fondest of memories. After they ran those backbreakers for about a million miles they would "upgrade" them with some new stickers and run 'em to peddle freight around the city. Even bobtailing around the yard would beat the crap outa ya. Got a couple of pictures of my Pops climbing out of the cab while running around the city. That pic is probably early Christmas evening after the 1 day shut down. had to go out and start the entire fleet. 47 cans of ether and the compressor truck for all them half frozen ingersol air starters. Looked like the terminal was on fire from all the cold exhaust.

  8369. #8369Truck Shop2024-08-26 14:56

    Freightliner/CF built to spec for their company, as light as possible and as short as possible. 1/4" frame rails was standard.

  8370. #8370DMiller2024-08-26 16:55

    WB of a V Beetle.

  8371. #8371MarcusZ19672024-08-26 17:28

    This one is up now. 1949 Ken. Conv. Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com

  8372. #8372Truck Shop2024-08-26 19:37

    He's asking allot of blue sky---A 521 single axle, yes it's straight but a straight 523 tandem would be tough to bring 45. It's a $23,000 truck all day long. It takes some real nice bling to hit the 50.

  8373. #8373Truck Shop2024-08-26 19:54

    This IH Coaster----is one of the best completions I've seen in many moons. For one it's allot more uncommon than any Pete or Kenworth. The coaster was the king of massive hoods. The amount of work in this is--well a bunch. You could by it for 90K------------- now if one had that kind of disposable cash, 50 for a sort of nice 49 521 or this Coaster which if it's what a person wants is a head turner--the Coaster is a killer. *

  8374. #8374Pops522024-08-26 20:39

    I’d buy it but the twin stacks kill the deal…..

  8375. #8375Truck Shop2024-08-26 20:59
  8376. #8376Truck Shop2024-08-26 21:02

    1951 T706 Diamond T with IH cab. *

  8377. #8377Truck Shop2024-08-26 21:15

    Here's a prim example of a seller that----really doesn't want to sell. Admitted it's a nice 1982 long hood--but it has a A model Cat with air to air added-so what, 15 spd & 3.90 ratio. There are several just as nice with a C15 under the hood at 550 hp. Much easier to get parts for plus a modern reliable power plant. And the maximum torque rated 15 spd is a RTLO15715, this truck doesn't even have that. Wants $190,000 firm, as it sets it's a max $100,000. In order to bring a price close to 200 grand it better have some bonified late model updates. Yes it's a nice rig but not worth the asking price. *

  8378. #8378Pops522024-08-26 21:16

    This doesn’t look anything like the 59 model I drove in 1970 after I got my class A

  8379. #8379Truck Shop2024-08-26 21:19

    But in these times--because there are only so many old {old school} long hoods available in the various brands there are those that money is no object simply because they can't control there buying impulses. He might get that price but I expect it will set for sometime before a deal is made.

  8380. #8380Truck Shop2024-08-26 21:24

    If I was to go for the different look not everybody else is chasing---I would find a early 80's Star. It has the real old relic look without looking too old. The Kelowna cab and low profile hood is what sets it off. I drove one for a short bit, it was a nice driving/riding truck with a easy to see dash. {not the one I drove}. *

  8381. #8381Truck Shop2024-08-26 21:36

    When I talk about High Torque Eaton transmissions this photo explains it all. This is a RTLO18918. Notice the Timken tapered bearings, Eaton went to tapered roller bearings to take the torque load the older boxes couldn't stand up to because the early countershaft bearing were {ball/roller}. Plus on the center main shaft, that shift fork and splitter gear connects directly to the auxiliary drive gear on the rear of front section main shaft. This splitter gear will rotate independently to gain the splits on the low side where on a thirteen speed it's fixed to main shaft with no internal bearing pack for independent rotation. The older RTO boxes the splitter was located at the back of that case on output shaft, it was small & a weaker unit plus it didn't shift as fast and smooth. *

  8382. #8382colson042024-08-26 21:40

    I like that dash. Simple, straight forward, has what it needs and made to last.

  8383. #8383JaredV2024-08-27 00:04

    That's a beautiful Coaster but I kinda feel like he punted on the dash. This is original in the one I had. Maybe his was too chopped up.

  8384. #8384DMiller2024-08-27 04:46

    Instruments change likely had a lot to do with it, coordinate them better, cleaner, newer designs smaller diameter so could not utilize old holes, added a slight incline for visibility. Just a in general Clean up. I could do that Star!! Already have a ‘Hood’ so not anxious to swap out.

  8385. #8385JAJ2024-08-27 05:52

    This is very interesting @Truck Shop ! I was talking to a mate on the phone last night about something very similar. We were discussing the differences and costs of rebuilding Eaton 18speed transmissions. His truck was built with I think the same transmission as in your pic. He was telling me most 18 series boxes are updated to 20series at rebuild now. My truck was built with an 18speed Mack box but has been swapped out to a 22 series “RTL022918B”. Apparently my box will cost a lot more when it is due for rebuild. Do you know how much different the internals are between your pic and my size box?

  8386. #8386Old Doug2024-08-27 07:26

    Not saying it's easy to find what a person wants easy but its something nowadays with the internet to go on line and see stuff that should be rare is right there for sale. It looks like it should do a lot to the asking price but dosent seem to. I am glade i dont have several high end things i need to sell.

  8387. #8387Truck Shop2024-08-27 09:42

    The biggest difference is front case and diameter of input shaft. Funny thing is when gears are ordered for a 189 Eaton replacements will be 169. The back is basically the same but all in all it takes allot to roast a box designed for 1900 lbs of torque with a pump and halo.

  8388. #8388Truck Shop2024-08-27 09:53

    Sometimes less is more, It could be said I punted on the dash of the B because I removed glove box, plus built a box for the brake MV3 valves. But it made it easier to assemble. *

  8389. #8389MarcusZ19672024-08-27 10:13

    @Truck Shop That is some sweet work right there!!!

  8390. #839056wrench2024-08-27 10:35

    Bright shiny dashes are only for show trucks that never go anywhere. In my opinion the glare would be terrible in the sunlight

  8391. #8391Truck Shop2024-08-27 12:27

    Yes you are correct----This right here is the perfect working mans dump truck, with a great dash & interior, just **** in the corner if one can be found. *

  8392. #8392RedTruck11002024-08-27 13:20

    Here's a Western Star I drove in 1990-1991. Cat 3406A 15 speed. I thought it was a good looking truck and I enjoyed driving it. The picture was taken on the Coquihalla Highway #5 in British Columbia.

  8393. #8393Truck Shop2024-08-27 14:37

    The rare {factory photo} 4090 V12 International. *

  8394. #8394Truck Shop2024-08-27 14:53

    Posted this before---it's the only 4090 I have ever seen. my photo. The 4090 was only equipped with the 12V71, very few built/sold. Lemmons bought this truck after I posted photos of it a year earlier *

  8395. #8395Truck Shop2024-08-27 16:37

    Speaking of coasters--here's one I photo'd 7 years ago I guess, great dump truck with roomy interior. *

  8396. #8396Truck Shop2024-08-27 16:58

    And right here is the perfect RSH for HEF members, 262 with a ten 1962, and a mid 70's RV. Get your self some double clutch'n booties and extra long chain for your chain drive wallet and use the rest on the brim of your chain drive hat. Can also be used to move backhoes & skid steers. Hell you could take a cross country trip and pull over and perform some excavating to cover expenses. Has spring rear suspension, so open the fridge and everything is a milkshake. Freightshaker Chateau. *

  8397. #8397DMiller2024-08-27 18:29

    Center Point Curb Feelers, NO P/S. So I guess I got a Good One!! 2005 Kenworth W900B(L) s/n 088496 Full s/n 1XKWDB0X25J088496 Engine, Caterpillar C-15 Block BXS18872 Processor C-15 6NZ74066, 2229500 Factory 435hp 2100rpm Uprated to 500hp Fabick Service Shop Transmission, Eaton Fuller RTLO 18918 46K rear Eight Bag Suspension 14K Steering axle

  8398. #8398Truck Shop2024-08-27 19:06

    That ain't going to cut it-----too many gears and power for hauling tater salad and fried rooster.

  8399. #8399Pops522024-08-27 19:22

    No pics??

  8400. #8400Truck Shop2024-08-27 19:39

    Millers fried rooster & tater salad tote'r . *

  8401. #8401DMiller2024-08-27 20:19
  8402. #8402Truck Shop2024-08-27 21:36

    1936 model 512DR 5 to 6 ton Diamond T. This is a unusually clear photo. *

  8403. #8403crane operator2024-08-27 22:01
  8404. #8404Truck Shop2024-08-27 22:09

    Yeah----where did you find that old Paystar Mixer C.O.? You going to polish that out? It will take a 55 gal drum of spit shine to make it go.

  8405. #8405crane operator2024-08-27 22:39

    I thought the "patina" look was in?

  8406. #8406JAJ2024-08-28 03:10

    Thought I’d post a pic of my two semi’s On the right… International ACCO 3070B Cummins V903 non turbo 9 speed road ranger. On the left it’s replacement for on road work Mack Titan 2000 model Cummins Isx Signature 2 CM570 600Hp 2000ft/Lb settings IIRC 18speed road ranger It’s a bit newer than most of the nice old girls everyone else is posting but I think it’s the nicest bonnet shape of the Aussie Mack Titans and it’s 24years old now so getting on a bit. There is some pics of some very nice old trucks on this thread, we don’t get to see many of them still on the road here unfortunately.

  8407. #8407Old Doug2024-08-28 07:32

    My Dad bought and sold used trucks on the side and bought trucks from Guys potato chips. This was in the early 70s . I think they had several trucks they even had there own IH wrecker . This was the only cabover i can remember seeing them have. This had something wrong with a kingpin or something . It was on the back lot no right front tire they towed it up to the shop and heated something red hot to fix it so Dad could drive it home. The other truck was going to get an implement bed but he sold it before that happened .

  8408. #8408Truck Shop2024-08-28 12:57

    CO-Loadstar--in 67 & 68 International built 168,000 of those, allot went to government. And a favorite of inner city freight companies. *

  8409. #8409Truck Shop2024-08-29 21:00

    Heard a guy in a video recently---apparently the correct pronunciation is { that thar has nice "patiner"--heavy on the "R's".

  8410. #8410Truck Shop2024-08-29 21:44

    1947 model W--West Coaster IH--with 4 man cab. *

  8411. #8411Truck Shop2024-08-29 21:59

    I mowed the lawn today--pretty good for a old fart wearing Keen's, black jeans and hi-viz black T shirt. Don't wear things with company names much, no suspenders or belt. Did pass a little gas as I rounded the corner of the yard though, caused the neighbors dog to start barking.

  8412. #8412cfherrman2024-08-29 23:47

    Pics or it didn't happen

  8413. #8413DMiller2024-08-30 04:53

    I too wear Basic T's, no black jeans here but have plenty of black stained ones from diesel work. Free passing gas becomes a pastime!!! Just getting to that point no longer always really trusting farts. Mowed half the pasture up by house last weekend, will be completing the other half tomorrow. Keep mower around 6-10" off the sod just dropping majority of weeds, some stand 4-5' tall.

  8414. #8414Truck Shop2024-08-30 06:18

    It's hunting season around the corner. Which caused me to remember a quote from someone I knew that was a big game hunter/guide in Africa----I asked do you hunt? {No I don't-I don't do the it'sy bit'sy bambi ****}.

  8415. #8415Truck Shop2024-08-30 10:21

    Which I happen to see 5 bucks all together-two with 4 on each side not counting eye guards, just this last Wednesday.

  8416. #8416Truck Shop2024-08-31 21:16

    Chryslers {Leaning Tower of Power} factory Hyper Pack slant six. *

  8417. #8417Truck Shop2024-09-02 15:57

    Words and terms used around the shop--The word gracious just doesn't fit in a shop atmosphere. The word b@stard does--anything from people to type of file. * Had this shop service writer that used the term {gracious} to describe this character working in the shop, the sack wouldn't say **** if he had a mouthful. He was a big pain in the ass because he would raise trouble if someone swore--he had issues. Anyway one day he was asking us if we had a {fatherless file}---I looked at him {You got to be kidding, it's a Bast@rd File and the only files I have are a bunch of F@@KING B@stards. I spent everyday from then on {Any of you guys seen my b@stard file it ran off.

  8418. #8418Truck Shop2024-09-02 16:46

    People ask how I do what I do with pen & ink-where do I start. It's all about the layout, if lay out is proportional it will be what was wanted. Great video of layout to finish. *

  8419. #8419Truck Shop2024-09-02 16:50

    The same goes for mechanical--I start with a layout in 6H that can barely be seen from there I start a area at front of vehicle and move back, with less detail as I go. *

  8420. #8420Truck Shop2024-09-02 18:52
  8421. #8421HATCHEQUIP2024-09-03 15:13

    TS theirs no oil under that truck, are all your pics cummins powered.

  8422. #8422DMiller2024-09-03 16:59

    Cats!!! Wish I could draw as well, AWESOME talent.

  8423. #8423Truck Shop2024-09-03 18:59

    I normally leave what engine is in it up to the imagination of the viewer. But because of the vintage and brands---there is probably only one that's a leaker--look hard enough and a puddle will magically appear. *

  8424. #8424Truck Shop2024-09-03 19:37

    Although this one is the runner---Series 60 575 1850 13 40145. *

  8425. #8425DMiller2024-09-03 19:45

    A-Car ooo!!!

  8426. #8426DMiller2024-09-03 19:51

    GMC twin stacks 6 or 8V. Designed in Air box drains oil leaks. TWO puddles!!

  8427. #8427Truck Shop2024-09-03 19:54

    4-71.

  8428. #8428Truck Shop2024-09-03 20:50

    One of my redo's of a original by another artist. *

  8429. #8429Truck Shop2024-09-03 21:16

    Some I can't post because those take up too much space, file is too big. Allot of stuff, probably 80% was round filed because it just wasn't turning out right. That happens when the artist is their worst critic. But I have a hard time getting enthused about drawing, it goes in spurts. Most of what I have was done 20 years ago, and very little since then. Dry spells usually last 20 years, enough time goes by I start thinking about again. For me--I have to really want to sit for 20 plus hours at a time, because that's the average time spent. I have never done well at having to do personals, of the ones I've posted on face book I get about ten to fifteen replies about personals. I did one for khansen in recent years and that's about it. I had a half page ad in ATHS Wheels of Time, about three issues worth, it was a waste of time & money right along with the website I had {Big Trucks in Ink}, total looser. So I just do what I like. I use to draw wild life but just never advanced it. I would've hated performing art work for a living. * I did draw this one for a HEF member now that I think about, there were two. *

  8430. #8430Truck Shop2024-09-03 22:02
  8431. #8431cfherrman2024-09-04 11:19

    TS you should probably watermark your drawings when posting then online, someone will make money off your work

  8432. #8432Truck Shop2024-09-04 13:32

    All my art was secure with safety crud at one time, and allot of it was copied. People are going to steal it no matter what. And at this point I just don't care. Daughter was walking along a busy street where she lives in Conn. She sees this guy with a T that had one of my drawings {Where did you get that cool shirt? At a car show! That's my dad's work, he did that}. If someone goes to the trouble to steal it-----well that just shows their lack of talent. * We wouldn't need watermarks, cameras, urine tests, and such----if people were honest---- reality is people will find themselves doing all kinds of bad---if the price is right. * Just type in the browser--{Pen and Ink drawings of semi trucks} and see what pops up.

  8433. #8433Truck Shop2024-09-04 13:43

    Three most popular trucks all came from the NW triangle---Portland, Seattle & Morton Wa. And are still the most popular.

  8434. #8434Oxbow2024-09-04 16:24

    My daughter in law did one of a bison. It is very well done. Almost looks like every hair is in place

  8435. #8435Pony2024-09-04 19:02

    You've got some talent. I struggle to keep my signature consistent.

  8436. #8436kshansen2024-09-04 19:34

    Yes and hate to say the subject that was in the picture was what I was riding back the end of July when I was put in the hospital for six days! and still have not got back to half my physical abilities. But the picture still has a prime location on the wall in our living room!

  8437. #8437Truck Shop2024-09-04 20:46

    Hopefully that changes.

  8438. #8438crane operator2024-09-04 21:17

    1987 marmon. for sale in alabama. $40,000 and supposedly has a 60 series detroit in it.

  8439. #8439Truck Shop2024-09-04 22:17

    Not a bad truck--interiors left something to be desired.

  8440. #8440Truck Shop2024-09-04 22:20

    This 4000--1973 with full glass long hood--the production numbers were real low. *

  8441. #8441skyking12024-09-05 00:14

    that was Slim's ride with Basil Keeney hauling Budweiser.

  8442. #8442OzDozer2024-09-05 03:13

    Why the long hood? Was it running a big straight 8? Looks like a mechanics dream with that amount of room under the hood!

  8443. #8443MarcusZ19672024-09-05 05:10

    Looks like it sold for 18.5K. 1987 MARMON Sleeper Truck - J.M. Wood Auction Company, Inc. 1987 MARMON Sleeper Truck - J.M. Wood Auction Co., LLC www.jmwood.com Now 40K? Log into Facebook Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know. www.facebook.com

  8444. #8444DMiller2024-09-05 06:03

    Marmons were always Spartan on interior, very simple yet functional. The change from a 3406B to a DD wonder what possessed the builder to go that way and not drop a C15/18 in it?

  8445. #8445crane operator2024-09-05 07:27

    Could very well have not sold at 18.5. All "absolute" auctions, are usually not "absolute" auctions...

  8446. #8446Truck Shop2024-09-05 10:13

    Probably because he already had the 60--and it is a better engine, statistics don't lie. * Why the hell not?

  8447. #8447Hank R2024-09-05 11:11

    I was asked about the Orange colour of paint on the Public trucks . As this person found a SC180 in great condition and wand to restore paint is all faded. Any idea where one could get close to the right Orange???

  8448. #8448Truck Shop2024-09-05 11:46

    That's close to Case orange.

  8449. #8449mowingman2024-09-05 11:47

    These photos are kind of faded for color matching. You might start by looking at an old color called "Omaha Orange". It might be too bright, but it can be toned down by adding yellow. I believe it is an old International truck color.

  8450. #8450Truck Shop2024-09-05 11:56

    signs of--I'm a smart ass.

  8451. #8451HATCHEQUIP2024-09-05 14:18

    Tennessee Orange boys..UT.

  8452. #8452Pony2024-09-05 16:35
  8453. #8453DMiller2024-09-05 17:03

    Not enough Grill Bars on it, yet!

  8454. #8454skyking12024-09-05 18:44

    dang there's a lot going on there.

  8455. #8455Truck Shop2024-09-05 19:17

    I'm trying to figure out if the end result was to look like a 50's refrigerator or toaster. Just kidding.

  8456. #8456DMiller2024-09-05 19:27

    Loads of work on that, for a Two Story 50s Dodge with a Diamond Hood, Pete Sleeper, has to weigh 30K.

  8457. #8457Truck Shop2024-09-05 19:32

    It's a Large Marge for sure.

  8458. #8458OzDozer2024-09-05 20:52

    The guy with the Diamond T is obviously trying to put the Japanese decotora trucks in the shade.

  8459. #8459MarcusZ19672024-09-05 21:33

    I'm sitting here trying to figure out which transformer is which.

  8460. #8460Truck Shop2024-09-05 22:00
  8461. #8461crane operator2024-09-05 22:09

    A awful lot of work to sit in a small cab. And boy is it ugly.

  8462. #8462crane operator2024-09-05 22:11

    Mmm, love me some big tube rubber on the drives, and look at that fat trailer with wheels on the landing gear...

  8463. #8463Truck Shop2024-09-05 22:12

    Well for you but possibly the owner is 5'10".

  8464. #8464Truck Shop2024-09-05 22:15

    1967 small window small cab--I don't think you will fit.

  8465. #8465crane operator2024-09-05 22:22

    Wouldn't have to stretch to roll down the passenger window! I guess for me, I've just got a preference for the working trucks, vs. the chromed up show trucks. There's a guy we do some work for, and he loves going to the MATS show in Joplin every year, but I just can't get into the low riding, polishing, and especially the long lug nut covers.

  8466. #8466Truck Shop2024-09-05 22:25

    Your not going to find me disagreeing---painted white, big power, one stack, steel drive wheels.

  8467. #8467skyking12024-09-05 23:30

    amen on the single stack. On the off side.

  8468. #8468OzDozer2024-09-06 02:37

    I don't know, what's wrong with a 6" stack attached to a Driptoit, on full song, just inches from your ear?? Even better, a 6V-53 Driptoit!!

  8469. #8469DMiller2024-09-06 04:30

    Something just appreciative of a Pete Needle Nose in work clothes, all the bells whistles and chrome unnecessary. Wear hearing aids, in part due to DD two strokers.

  8470. #8470Old Doug2024-09-06 07:34

    They are a lot easier to work on. Some friends bought a truck with big twin pipes . The receipt was in the truck for the pipes $10.000.00 . Its hard to believe i can think of a lot of places that money could have been better spent.

  8471. #8471MarcusZ19672024-09-06 08:37
  8472. #8472Truck Shop2024-09-06 09:33

    Somehow, I project---there will be some upcoming posts full of trivial crap, dribble drabble about worthless info {like the 1946 Crapwagon model 8020753 used 10/32" X 1" screws to hold the left hand mirror then was updated to 1/4" X 1" in 1947, followed by the over use of emoji's signaling the cool fool followed by the **** eating wink_ . * Which will bring about another stoppage.

  8473. #8473HATCHEQUIP2024-09-06 15:51

    Squirrel!!!

  8474. #8474JaredV2024-09-06 16:30

    Don't forget about the 12-24 screws from serial number 016944 to 017030 that they tried first before going to 1/4"

  8475. #8475Truck Shop2024-09-06 18:02

    It's the size of cotter keys used on the castle nuts holding the flap to the blowby tube that gets very confusing for some, were those 1/16" x 5/8" or 1/8" x 3/4", better look in the SAE manual.

  8476. #8476Truck Shop2024-09-06 18:18

    While on a subject of odd things----how long should a air ride suspension hold just setting over time, what's the expected time frame before the frame rests on the stops? A day, a week, two weeks? And what's the longest time frame for a truck to set holding over 90 psi air pressure?

  8477. #8477DMiller2024-09-06 18:45

    Big Blue will hold air bag pressure around a month. New bags, new leveling valve when built it back up. Air system will bleed off overnight to 0 Red ga, 65 Green

  8478. #8478crane operator2024-09-06 19:03

    My stuff has air pressure when its running. I don't ask questions.

  8479. #8479materthegreater2024-09-06 19:34

    Mine will hold air a lot longer this time of year than in the winter.

  8480. #8480OzDozer2024-09-06 19:57

    After 14 pages of calculations and confirming the result with a question to ChatGPT, the answer is 73 days, 11 hours, 14 minutes and 26 seconds, before the air ride suspension hits the stops. This of course, is based on the truck having travelled less than 386,943 miles. Over that mileage requires a recalculation. In practice - a buddy just pulled his air ride 45' trailer out of the back corner of his yard where it's been sitting for 22 years. It appears the air bags were on their stops.

  8481. #8481Truck Shop2024-09-06 20:01

    I was preparing for a total over calculated answer from the other side of the planet. People down there must wear hip waders to bed.

  8482. #8482Truck Shop2024-09-06 20:06

    Well this one has 1.3 million 30 years old.----last time started moved--June 15th. *

  8483. #8483DMiller2024-09-06 20:18

    You should buy that from Tate, is YOUR engineering and construction, even as done their Parts.

  8484. #8484Truck Shop2024-09-06 20:31

    Don't need it don't want it---it's just work in the middle of the night.

  8485. #8485Truck Shop2024-09-06 20:39

    The longest for holding above 90 psi---When I worked for The Farmers CoOp Ag company. A 1981 Brigadier used as a stand by farm fuel delivery, 7 months and still 95 psi on the gauge, longest it went was 10 months and had just under 90 psi. Battery went dead and pull started enough air to release brakes.

  8486. #8486Truck Shop2024-09-06 22:00

    Sounds like------------------------------------------time for a dot inspection.

  8487. #8487Truck Shop2024-09-06 22:21

    How much money in labor and parts costs do you suppose have been saved by lurkers & HEF members since the start of HEF? And most of the time not even a thankyou for all the free, learned by hard knocks info.

  8488. #8488DMiller2024-09-07 05:42

    A Lot

  8489. #8489OzDozer2024-09-07 06:07

    Amen to that statement, TS. However, I have had quite a number of questioners on forums who were privately very grateful and thankful, for advice and information I gave them.

  8490. #8490Truck Shop2024-09-07 06:45

    Of coarse, it was free---people gripe if they have to buy a manual for their machine. But there is also the issue of construction info--how much saved there. Really there should have been two different forums----Your not going to get construction advise at a Cat dealer are you. Been killing ten birds with one stone, that's entirely too much end running. lol-needed a {lol} there to cut down on freeloader frowns. * Depending on the farmer asking the question--I would say {ten bucks jokingly}, they would get butt hurt and walk off. Even if I was serious about the ten----there is a huge tendency for those to think they should get hard earned info for free. * Info traded amongst mechanics-that's a different story.

  8491. #8491DMiller2024-09-07 07:03

    See that in nearly every question have ever been asked of myself. Gave a suggested repair to a local, stated Nah that can’t do that or fix that so did his way anyway, came back on third attempt and asked again, explained gave him the fix and again Nah. So walked. He took it to a dealer, they did just as I had suggested with a few odds and ends cash bonus repairs and all was food. He came by to tell me the fine job the shop had done telling me I was still wrong, I asked what they did and he balked gave me the lost of add ons first, then tried to spin the actual repair a different direction, just looked at him and noted had done what I suggested would have been done weeks ago. Asks me anything anymore, tell him sure don’t know nuthin bout those and turn away. Have a few ask random repair questions besides him, just ignore them anymore, refer them to a local traveling wrench. Typically want a can be done on the cheap answer, do not get one here.

  8492. #8492DMiller2024-09-07 07:10

    Then at work yard. Was asked how I did not blow those two inner duals as was steadily loading heavy, one kid made it to Doolittle MO and lost a tire, he was curious as he had not seen any problem with that tire. Have watched him drive on lot, start truck, park his pickup and leave in company truck. Absolutely no inspection, never eaised hood, did not even do minimal and walk around check lights. Explained to him had been watching the wear change. He has no clue. Then yesterday one of the more hazardous we have dragging a Travis 32’ with a drop axle set, lost an entire tire/hub assembly, bearing failure as burned out. Not once ever seen him at least put hands on those to check for play. Lucky did not injure or kill someone. As well not ever seen the shop ‘techs’ repack those as scheduled work. They actually asked why I changed seal kits on the KW as were not leaking when I put brakes on, as well why would I change Auto Slacks, gave up giving explanations.

  8493. #8493Truck Shop2024-09-07 07:11

    Yeah Dave, been down that road many, many times. I think probably one of the funniest was a guy complaining of a popping noise coming from the drives--I asked several Q's-he went on his way gripping. About a month later one of the Schwab tire guys told me he was in getting new drive tires. Mixed 22's and 24's--I told him--- go figure.

  8494. #8494kshansen2024-09-07 07:15

    Forget the pressure and how long it sat but recall parking an old Euclid to pull engine to rebuild the 12V-71 Detroit. Then after the engine was rebuilt taking it back to the gravel pit to install it and was surprised that it still had air pressure. Of course that truck had a very basic air system so probably only a handful of valves that had to be working to hold the pressure.

  8495. #8495DMiller2024-09-07 07:18

    Tire is just a tire to some, have gone as far as height match used instead of just throwing on a tire at work back a few years, got odd looks as to that too. Explained to a guy running Smooth treads on Rear Drive and lugs on front of different heights was a bad idea, he was convinced only the front drive pulled so put discards on rear to just wear them out. Know he put two power dividers in that trucks in three years.

  8496. #8496Old Doug2024-09-07 08:26

    I very much appreciate the advice and help i have gotten here . I have a pickup load of manuals and if i didnt very much want to get out of the repair for hire deal i would spend money on more. One thing i have learned is about 80% of the problems have a brand new cause that maybe no one has had happen like the deal with the T370 head lights . I have been working as a mechanic on and off for over 40 years even if i had been at it twice as long it would be hard to charge money for advice because pinpointing most problems would be tuff . Thanks agin for every one that has helped me or tried to point me in the right direction.

  8497. #8497Truck Shop2024-09-07 11:16

    Oh you look what you did now with that post, it just charged up all the positive junkies to hit the Like & LOVE button. lol

  8498. #8498Truck Shop2024-09-07 13:11

    Some free info---expanded view-SU carb 1959 MG. *

  8499. #8499Truck Shop2024-09-07 13:15

    1973 Kline with Rodgers trailer. *

  8500. #8500DMiller2024-09-07 13:24

    Truck show today

  8501. #8501DMiller2024-09-07 13:26

    Then the Mafia Line

  8502. #8502Old Doug2024-09-07 13:45

    Boonville ?

  8503. #8503DMiller2024-09-07 15:03

    Dumps Warrenton

  8504. #8504DMiller2024-09-07 15:07

    Rotators and then this literally got dragged in Nice 34

  8505. #8505DMiller2024-09-07 15:19

    To quote one of the younger boys ‘lots of Mud Crickets to chase!’ Girls

  8506. #8506DMiller2024-09-07 15:43

    Make a noise when thighs rub, Mate Call!

  8507. #8507Truck Shop2024-09-07 17:52

    Truck show here next weekend and a 500 plus street rod show this weekend.

  8508. #8508OzDozer2024-09-07 19:48

    TS, someone needs to rework the OCR part of your SU carb diagram. I mean to say, I never knew SU's had parts such as a "Fotle jet buxterbly" or a "Floj chamm".

  8509. #8509Oxbow2024-09-07 20:00

    I believe someone had a thread about thanking @Nige for all the help he has given folks over the years, and he dang sure deserves it.

  8510. #8510Truck Shop2024-09-07 20:21

    And that's correct he does/did deserve it--I wrote that simply because this day and age people have a tendency to let help in solving matters go without a thought. There are some really sharp mechanical minds on HEF, Mobiletech, Mark250, ahart, Birken Voght, Cmark, Junkyard, Tyler-d4c Heymccall, meckinc just to name a few. I've seen more times than not allot of forgetfulness after the fact.

  8511. #8511Truck Shop2024-09-07 20:25

    Well I posted that because that carb was full stuff from only who knows what, SU's were fairly simple IIRC. lol

  8512. #8512DMiller2024-09-08 05:46

    Yesterday before left for the show, KW had sat overnight 12+ hours and I gave it a bath. Dash air pressure before started When readied to leave show, sat from 10am to 5:30pm still had 90+

  8513. #8513DMiller2024-09-08 07:26

    That Platinum Co tri axle Rotator with the Rubber Duck Mockup(NOT Really Drivable) driver stated was over $1mil to buy. Weighs 16,500 steer, with all three axles on the ground at rear is at 68,000 across them. Is a Permit to operate even by itself unit, permit to 165,000 in tow and 125 feet OA Length.

  8514. #8514Truck Shop2024-09-08 10:26

    As I've stated before, those things are a total waste of money, nothing but a boom truck crane which C.O. just loves. Rotator schmo-tater. * The perfect recovery unit is a old Hulcher rail recovery rated at a 100 ton, there were two for sale recently for 90K. People in the towing biz have lost their minds with those things--it's a recovery unit not a show truck. *

  8515. #8515Truck Shop2024-09-08 10:40

    Actually most on here have it backwards.

  8516. #8516OzDozer2024-09-08 10:44

    Didn't ya know? - the more chrome you got, and the bigger the stacks you got, the tougher and stronger the wrecker??

  8517. #8517Truck Shop2024-09-08 12:13

    A great big yellow spanner---term I use to describe a turd , not a wrench.

  8518. #8518Truck Shop2024-09-08 13:54

    A contractors special---hardly anyone has ever seen or heard of the 1976 Cadillac Mirage. Gangster liked them for packing bodies around. GM quickly scrambled the pile into the dumpster of bad ideas, less than 200 built and most all died of east coast rust. Would have looked great with a ladder rack. *

  8519. #8519DMiller2024-09-08 14:49

    Two funeral homes nearby have One of those and a Pontiac Version, Flower Cars, have racks in rear floor to hold the Floral arrangements to go to the Cemeteries. Have attempted to buy BOTH of them, Neither for sale at ANY price, owners of the facilities been chased on them by buyers for years.

  8520. #8520Truck Shop2024-09-08 15:05

    Correct--flower carts.

  8521. #8521DMiller2024-09-08 17:32

    The Bonneville is a Real Clean unit, 45,000 miles last I looked.

  8522. #8522Old Doug2024-09-09 07:24

    A buddy has a small deal around 5 mile from me around Labor day . I took my tractor and Jeep.

  8523. #8523Pony2024-09-09 09:39
  8524. #8524Truck Shop2024-09-09 09:56

    Nice trucks------but as usual the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

  8525. #8525DMiller2024-09-09 14:55

    Roo guards look nice

  8526. #8526DMiller2024-09-09 14:58

    The kid was eating his lunch snack, ruined it fir him. Was stripping down a Lil Cutie mini Orange, looked at it and noted is just like munching the female Lil Cuties, gotta watch for strings. He threw up when it damned on him.

  8527. #8527MarcusZ19672024-09-09 15:27

    Now, Dave..... Be nice...... BTW..... That's funny as heck!!

  8528. #8528DMiller2024-09-09 17:51

    Poor kid is just figuring out we have far more experiences than he has had, as well Nastier! Actually stated so.

  8529. #8529OzDozer2024-09-09 19:52

    You do know, that for the first decade and half of internal combustion motoring, the U.S. had all the steering wheels on the RHS? You just screwed up, after you let Henry Ford have his way with regard to steering wheel position!

  8530. #8530Truck Shop2024-09-09 21:01

    No that was one thing Henry got right...... I didn't screw up--wasn't around then. Those are all U.S. founded trucks. * Most people are right handed--so shifter and dash controls work better with right handed folks when steering is on the left. Roughly 90% of total world population is right handed. Having the steering on right side the only thing to do is operate the window. Henry had it correct.

  8531. #8531Old Doug2024-09-09 21:22

    My Dad bought a IH scout out of the junk yard right hand drive . A rural mail carrier ordered it new but kept wrecking it on the left side. The front axle left side was bent as well as the frame . Dad got it fixed where it was ready for body work but never finished it. I was 10 and drove it some around the farm. It didnt seem alot different to me . He finally sold it to a mail carrier . He used it till he retired then changed over to left hand drive. A good friend has a postal jeep he put a GM 350 in it . I have rode in it several times. On the highway its weird setting on the left side.

  8532. #8532Bumpsteer2024-09-09 21:47

    Our current mail carrier has a newer jeep thats rhd....I did a ***? when I walked by it at the gas station.... Ed

  8533. #8533Truck Shop2024-09-09 22:20

    Mail carrier cars are/were always offered by Chrysler/Dodge, in the 80's most all rural carriers drove K cars.

  8534. #8534Pony2024-09-10 03:56

    DM I actually reckon that the bullbar on the mack looks a bit small for the truck. JMO Re shifting gears with your left hand, I spent 12mths working in the USA 20 yrs ago, had never driven an auto in my life. Got over there and boy did it feel funny to try and change gears with the wrong arm. I reckon I hand no skin on the knuckles of my left hand for 6mths. Go to change gears and smack my left hand into the door trying to find the gearstick. That and when I was a passenger, get in the driver's side by mistake.

  8535. #8535DMiller2024-09-10 05:30

    Can relate, parents took brother and I to England France Belgium and Germany in 72, Pop had already gained Int’l Driver License to rent cars there. Ford Cortina Station Wagon he rented was a Four speed and was quite the laughs as he slapped the right door as forgot was in RH Drive. Not certain I could do a Aussie Semi on the ‘Wrong Side’.

  8536. #8536Truck Shop2024-09-10 05:37

    It might take a bit but you would get it.

  8537. #8537OzDozer2024-09-10 05:53

    It's easy enough to get used to, I've driven LHD and RHD, but the most interesting driving was driving RHD Australian Army vehicles on the right hand side of the road in Vietnam. But the real problem lies in remembering which side of the ROAD you're supposed to be on. I went to Europe about 10-12 years ago, and hired cars and drove around, no problem - until the evening when we were in Spain, just outside Bilbao, and we were looking for our accommodation, an old converted Basque farmhouse in the mountains above Bilbao. It was getting late and dark, I was getting tired, and we couldn't find it. We pulled into one long driveway and soon realised it wasn't the right one. Drove back out onto the major road and took off again, still looking for the accommodation. Getting up the road a bit, I realised there was a set of headlights coming towards us on OUR side of the road!! Only took a couple of seconds to realise I was on HIS side of the road!!! Whoops!! No harm done, he was still a kilometre away, but anywhere else could have had disastrous consequences. All due to tiredness after a long day. We get European tourists come here, they hire 4WD's, get out in rural and remote regions and forget where they are, and drive on the RH side of the road, and often have major crashes as a result.

  8538. #8538Truck Shop2024-09-10 06:02

    I drove to Dixie the other day.

  8539. #853956wrench2024-09-10 09:30

    When in NZ, I found that i had to pay attention at an intersection when turning right or left to make sure i got into the correct lane, otherwise had no problem

  8540. #8540HATCHEQUIP2024-09-10 09:32

    How did ya like the weather, everyone treat ya nice. Yawl come back now, ya here

  8541. #8541Truck Shop2024-09-10 10:08
  8542. #8542HATCHEQUIP2024-09-10 10:42

    Should have known you wouldnt drive all the way down here to see any of us Dixie boys

  8543. #8543Truck Shop2024-09-10 11:51

    A little far but I would have stopped by.

  8544. #8544HATCHEQUIP2024-09-10 14:22

    10/4 give us a shout ahead of time to make sure were around.

  8545. #8545Truck Shop2024-09-10 17:15

    Never make it, I travel two states and won't go past the Rockies. I only go to Idaho & Montana if on a tow. Don't like flying or boats, one sinks the other noses into the ground, trains aren't bad but it seems those have a bad time staying on the tracks. Plus I'm getting less enthused about driving---the highways are filled with people driving Noses to Sphincters, too many on the antique highway system. * Seems most believe if there not at 80mph involved in a constant tailgating extravaganza, why there just not getting anywhere. I could be driving along a sort of deserted stretch of road doing the limit for miles no one around. Then check the mirror and here's three right on me. Let off some--they fly by playing leap frog nose to sphincter for miles--must be something about the smell they like.

  8546. #8546colson042024-09-10 18:09

    Happened to me this afternoon. I pulled out, no one to be seen as far as I could see to my right. Make my left turn, get to my next turn about a half mile up and a black mustang flies past me like I'm not even moving. I was going 45mph, speed limit is 45mph at that point. He had to have been doing 70mph or better.

  8547. #8547Truck Shop2024-09-10 18:40

    Funny thing is--folks are so enthralled with their cars----they drive like hell, get there in a hurry just to get out of it. Then can't stand the fact a crankshaft isn't spinning around to propel them somewhere, so jump back in to go nowhere. All the time griping about the price of gas. * Lives seem to revolve around facebook & vehicles.

  8548. #8548OzDozer2024-09-10 18:57

    Ya'll starting to sound like grumpy ol' men! Sitting around coffees in the diner, bitchin' about how the whole world is going to h*** in a handbasket! You need to get out more!!

  8549. #8549Truck Shop2024-09-10 19:07

    Ya'll-----you must be from Bamma. * I don't even associate with others. After babysitting a bunch of know it all truck drivers that all have the idea they would make a good president---nah I don't need to get out more. I do what I want to do not what someone wants me to do.

  8550. #8550Truck Shop2024-09-10 19:12

    Yah--hank & pops you hit the like button--oh boy he sure showed me. All three of you are just prune eaters too.

  8551. #8551Truck Shop2024-09-10 19:27
  8552. #8552Pops522024-09-10 19:30

    TS I’m in the same camp on the flyin and big boat stuff. I like the flyin part but I don’t like the people stuff. And I’m too worn out to fight with a ax hole misbehaving on a plane. Only big boat I’ve been on is the CVN72.

  8553. #8553Truck Shop2024-09-10 19:37

    You guys know I'm just kidding you--but travel just isn't as much fun as it use to be. For one---just finding some decent food on the road is a real task. Diners use to be all along a route--just not that way anymore. Minimart crud just doesn't cut it. The other is the price of hotel/motels--Oregon Coast is just out there in price. I drove enough years ago--just not excited about it these days.

  8554. #8554Truck Shop2024-09-10 20:54
  8555. #8555Old Doug2024-09-11 07:19

    The highway i travel the most has a 60 mph limit but its more like they removed the speed limit. Its a deal most of my rigs were not geared to run 70+ and there is no other way to get where I need to go.

  8556. #8556Truck Shop2024-09-11 07:40

    Rearend collisions are very common here, tailgating is the norm. Your expected to speed and tailgate to keep the persons behind you from being late to work.

  8557. #8557OzDozer2024-09-11 09:02

    Frank Lenzi was an American who lobbed up in Adelaide, South Australia, along with his brothers in the 1960's. He started trucking with a brother, and ran an International R190, then moved up into Kenworths. Frank started Cleveland Freight Lines in 1977, named after Cleveland, OH., which is where he hailed from. He also raced boats in Australia, and he'd raced them in Cleveland as well. Frank bought over 100 new Kenworths, and named them all, "Mack-Munchers". Painted in Maroon and Cream, the CFL trucks were legend on the Melbourne (Victoria) to Perth, Western Australia, Road Express run. Frank rarely sold his "Mack-Munchers", he would rebuild and repaint them, and keep them rolling. Some of his trucks were reported to have travelled 10,000,000 kms. In 1988, Frank bought the 10,000th Australian-built Kenworth truck. The CFL KW's always looked schmick, and they were FAST. If you saw a Mack-Muncher in your mirrors, it would get very big, very quickly, and overtake you like you were standing still. I can recall getting blown away more than once, by Franks Mack Munchers in the late 1970's, he would be pulling two trailers, and I had a Mack F-785 with just one trailer! Frank was using 3408 Cats at 450HP in the late 1970's, and most of his engines were tuned for more than factory power output. It was reported that some of his Mack-Munchers could do 100mph. I know I followed one Mack-Muncher one time in the late 1970's in my Holden V8 ute, and he was sitting on 135kmh (84mph). Frank died of old age, aged 87, in Dec 2022, and his widow sold up everything, and closed the business down. I only thought of Frank today when I spotted a Mack-Muncher parked up in a roadside lay-by, and it was still wearing the CFL livery and colours. RIP Frank, you were a legend! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100070802096276

  8558. #8558Truck Shop2024-09-11 09:44

    Oh it's absolutely a wonderful morning, great sunrise, going to be a great day!

  8559. #8559HATCHEQUIP2024-09-11 10:29

    I guess this means nobody's pissed in your cheerios this morning ,,yet

  8560. #8560Truck Shop2024-09-11 15:53

    I don't eat cereal or breakfast , I don't give people a chance, because they will take it, people are very greedy & mostly rotten. * Actually I went into see a orthopod about my right hip. Very small amount of Arthur Itise in my hips, just some irritating calcium deposits on outer part of femur. So got a injection to control inflammation and other related issues. * He said---I was in relatively good shape & had a very good attitude.

  8561. #8561Truck Shop2024-09-11 18:21

    Hum, little slow today on hef, slightly glum ain't it.

  8562. #8562Oxbow2024-09-11 18:35

    9 11

  8563. #8563Truck Shop2024-09-11 19:34

    Yes it is. I've been married twice and both times on the same date Dec 7th.

  8564. #8564Truck Shop2024-09-11 19:35

    A real nice LT. *

  8565. #8565Truck Shop2024-09-11 22:13
  8566. #8566HATCHEQUIP2024-09-12 11:11

    Must be something in my heritage, I like shiny ****

  8567. #8567Pops522024-09-12 11:24

    How about this for "shiny"?

  8568. #8568HATCHEQUIP2024-09-12 12:11

    Damn what a sleeper x2 no make that 3

  8569. #8569Truck Shop2024-09-12 13:22

    Things like above---I just don't get. 75' is max front to back-to operate that a extended permit is required, hard to maneuver, becomes so heavy with all the crap that is packed inside plus the amount of fuel and the extra weight in added frame rails/liners, the steer axle is maxed all the time. Even if only used as a toter for other vehicles it's not very driver friendly. Guessing 330 WB.

  8570. #8570Pops522024-09-12 15:30

    I took that pic at the Huntsville, AL show in 09. The couple that owned it looked like they might have lived in it.

  8571. #8571Truck Shop2024-09-12 19:54

    This a interesting piece, not too rotten, actually not rotten at all. 1957 GMC 350. Factory V8 which I believe is a Pontiac engine, 4 speed. $4,000. *

  8572. #8572Coaldust2024-09-12 20:48

    That’s awesome! Even has the custom exhaust system to prevent catching the stubble on fire.

  8573. #8573westerner2024-09-12 21:17

    Drop that 12v 5.9 in there...

  8574. #8574Truck Shop2024-09-12 21:20

    Nah--that's one best left stock, very few unmolested vehicles left, some of this stuff is getting butchered then left as a mess in what's an unfinished project behind the barn.

  8575. #8575westerner2024-09-12 21:44

    That's why I thought you should do the job.

  8576. #8576Truck Shop2024-09-12 21:51

    Interesting piece--just not interested in working over fenders. Haven't done that since the 80's. And all I have is a 855.

  8577. #8577Truck Shop2024-09-12 22:40

    IH's. *

  8578. #8578Truck Shop2024-09-14 21:00
  8579. #8579Truck Shop2024-09-15 22:18

    Here's a interesting load---all FE 427 side oilers, 1965 Riverside. *

  8580. #8580Truck Shop2024-09-16 21:16

    Driving in to grab a hot SPAM sandwich in Seattle. *

  8581. #8581Pops522024-09-16 22:12

    At least he had the box down…..

  8582. #8582Coaldust2024-09-16 22:24

    That driver made “Eat Fresh” a drive through. Wait,…. What. Are we missing any Washington state HEF members? Where is Sky King1 ? Is everyone accounted for?

  8583. #8583JaredV2024-09-16 22:49

    Not me! I try to avoid going that far north.

  8584. #8584Truck Shop2024-09-17 10:36

    What's the bet the driver was wearing High Viz, had a beard or was unshaven, some tattoo's & a stud in at least one ear. Come on what's the odds?

  8585. #8585HATCHEQUIP2024-09-17 14:22

    Or wasn't legally here.

  8586. #8586Truck Shop2024-09-17 15:59

    Can't go there on that.

  8587. #8587Truck Shop2024-09-17 16:03

    What a clean environment looked like years ago for the standard engine remanufacture. These boys are grinding valve seats in flat head V8 Ford blocks--Grinding dust just flying. This is a picture of TAM Engineering in Tacoma Wa, contract rebuilder for Ford. *

  8588. #8588Truck Shop2024-09-17 16:58

    I should have marked the top photo----outlined is a Van Norman 4 Cylinders at once boring bar. Set'er up and punch four at a time. It was the standard in engine manufacturing at the time. *

  8589. #8589Truck Shop2024-09-18 06:00

    The four above all wearing {Hap"} hats.

  8590. #8590HATCHEQUIP2024-09-18 14:57

    Ive heard dad over the years talk about welding and pinning those old FH fords from when they would over heat

  8591. #8591Coaldust2024-09-18 15:15

    The rise and fall of TAM is an interesting story. They did MOPAR rebuilds, too. Superfund site today on the shores of Commencement Bay. I remember Dad installing a TAM in Mom’s 76 Ford Elite. It was difficult for local machine shops to compete against them. They saturated the retail auto parts stores and jobbers. The quality dropped after they busted the union in the mid 80’s. Filled the factory with unskilled, newly arrived immigrants, from SE Asia.

  8592. #8592Truck Shop2024-09-18 16:05

    TAM was bottom of the barrel. The fish rots from the head down.

  8593. #8593Truck Shop2024-09-18 21:06

    Had a in town tow to go on at 4:30 today, died crossing one of the busiest intersections. Didn't take very long to snag it. On the way back to shop this custom coaster was gilding through on the same arterial. Stretched hood, two 60" flat top sleepers combined, this thing has been all over the internet. *

  8594. #8594JaredV2024-09-18 21:26

    The stock hood is about the same length as a B model KW but the little cab makes it look longer. That hood looks like it stretches for miles but I wouldn't be surprised if it's about the same as a 900L.

  8595. #8595Truck Shop2024-09-18 21:49

    It's about IIRC--80" from cowl, an A model 900 & 900L are 74" hood from cowl. My Last One was exactly 78" from cowl to front of radiator. *

  8596. #8596Truck Shop2024-09-19 06:12

    Years ago-most of the issue was from not enough or no antifreeze. Only took x amount of cold temps to start hairline cracks in a 21 Stud AB block. Not to mention all the crap dumped in a cooling system from creek/ditch water after a overheat. But FH V8 was hi-perf with it's twin water pumps.

  8597. #8597Old Doug2024-09-19 07:31

    It's hard to believe that Ford went from the flat head to the Y block it was a giant leap forward . I never had any flat head V8s but i have owned and used 3 Y blocks . When i was younger i heard old several older guys say that Ford pushing the V8 hurt Ford sells because most buyers knew and wanted an inline engine.

  8598. #8598Truck Shop2024-09-19 12:59

    Ford already had OHV designs going in the forties, then there was the Arden flathead. Have to say it Doug,, you listened to the wrong older guys because------------------------------------------- --John Dillinger & Clyde Barrow both admired and praised the flathead Ford V8. John & Clyde both were Henry Fords biggest salesman in those days.

  8599. #8599Truck Shop2024-09-20 20:38

    Porsche Six Stroke engine.

  8600. #8600Truck Shop2024-09-20 21:37

    Yeah--that's what I typed six stroke engine.

  8601. #8601DMiller2024-09-20 21:42

    And there HAD TO BE R190s, Damned UGLY old monsters.

  8602. #8602Truck Shop2024-09-20 22:11

    Porsche is apparently working on such a thing.

  8603. #8603Truck Shop2024-09-21 06:47
  8604. #8604DMiller2024-09-21 07:15

    What purpose does all that manipulating movement and wasted energy gear train actually do?

  8605. #8605Truck Shop2024-09-21 09:58

    It creates the extra two strokes.

  8606. #860656wrench2024-09-21 10:09

    Interesting concept

  8607. #8607Truck Shop2024-09-21 19:00
  8608. #8608Truck Shop2024-09-21 19:02
  8609. #8609Truck Shop2024-09-21 19:04

    1956 Panhead FLH----it was the best of show.

  8610. #8610DMiller2024-09-21 21:16

    Sweet rides

  8611. #8611Truck Shop2024-09-22 20:49

    14 minutes ago is the new norm.

  8612. #8612Truck Shop2024-09-22 21:53

    Now it's switched to---looking at content.

  8613. #8613Truck Shop2024-09-23 09:47

    MSN

  8614. #8614Truck Shop2024-09-23 18:04

    managing account, engaged in conversation, taking a dump.

  8615. #8615DMiller2024-09-23 19:46

    Today a Small disturbance ‘In the Force’, raining like Noah’s second coming the office contacts one of the Newer WS Dump trucks to come back and service his truck have extra time. So truck in shop all lined up go to pull pan plug, really tight, one more nudge and entire plug boss rotates out of plastic oil pan. Cummins 13L 2022 model. No Pan in the STL Region, WS dealer has one coming. So the Other matching Star is as WS, dash PTO switch will Not engage PTO, cannot locate Why. I got off early, had enough being soaked to deliver to clients open but not working using materials. Almost 4” in gauge with More coming as of ten minutes ago.

  8616. #8616Truck Shop2024-09-23 20:45

    That's actually a real issue with most plastic pans, Penske broke two of Tate's, they were the last ones to install those plugs. I installed drain valves to get away from that issue, but Penske refuses to install Fomoto drain valves. I guess they like buying pans, because Chris told them don't charge me for their screw up.

  8617. #8617Truck Shop2024-09-23 20:51

    60* tonight 90* by afternoon.

  8618. #8618Pony2024-09-24 06:55

    1963 Commer

  8619. #8619Truck Shop2024-09-24 07:16

    Painted--Galo Salami colors.

  8620. #8620colson042024-09-24 07:22

    Thanks for sharing TruckShop. I have a loader that gets an oil change every 7 weeks. It's a pain to reach and remove the drain plug with the way its positioned up inside the machine. Almost have to do a crunch while laying on a creeper while trying to position a bucket. Ends up an oily mess every time. I'm going to figure out what size threads our loader has and order one of these fumoto drain valves to give it a try.

  8621. #8621Truck Shop2024-09-24 07:30

    Colson--you should get the oxbow stamp of approval sometime today.

  8622. #8622stinky642024-09-24 10:15

    Had the Fumoto valves 35 years ago in the CF fleet. Slicker than *****, especially when dropping hot oil on linehaul trucks just passing thru overdue for basic oil change and lube.

  8623. #8623Pops522024-09-25 17:31
  8624. #8624DMiller2024-09-25 17:56

    All that truck and a Tea Cup for a cab.

  8625. #8625Truck Shop2024-09-25 21:33

    Big Henry with a 16V71.

  8626. #862656wrench2024-09-26 10:35

    Its the rest of the truck that makes money—-the cab, not so much

  8627. #8627Truck Shop2024-09-26 19:35

    If it was really practical, would have been more built.

  8628. #8628Truck Shop2024-09-26 19:36

    1940. *

  8629. #8629Truck Shop2024-09-30 21:44

    Ford's break in--ran till torque required at start up diminished to certain level, noisy. *

  8630. #8630Truck Shop2024-09-30 21:58

    Back on track with eleven minutes ago.

  8631. #8631HATCHEQUIP2024-10-01 09:19

    Are they spinning those engines with the motors for the break in, or are the engines not set up to run yet to power the dyno motors

  8632. #8632colson042024-10-01 10:30

    Spinning them with the motor and sending them out. When I toured plant BB in Mossville, CAT was doing something similar. Not every engine got fuel and ran on a dyno. Most just got assembled, driven via electric motor; oil pressure was checked, visual leak inspection done, stamped good, and out to shipping department.

  8633. #8633HATCHEQUIP2024-10-01 11:03

    I see now why TS said noisy, all that compression popping from no spark plugs.

  8634. #8634Truck Shop2024-10-01 21:30
  8635. #8635skyking12024-10-02 01:08

    the other thing is sometimes bending a piece of tin to direct the oil after you open the valve. I did that with FIL's '68 F250 with the 360 engine. It would dump on the suspension and make a big mess. The little piece of sheet metal saved some cleanup.

  8636. #8636colson042024-10-02 06:29

    I have to do that with one of our Ford L8000's. The drain plug on the 7.8L sits directly above the front axle beam, pointed down. Pain in the butt knowing 5 gallons or so are coming out right now with minimal room to be wrong.

  8637. #8637DMiller2024-10-02 08:41

    Set Back steer axle trucks had all manner of Stuff under or in the way of Pan Plugs as well.

  8638. #8638Truck Shop2024-10-02 11:42

    Just not to me. I've been done for some time worrying about what others think. Nobody gives a crap about opinions so why should I. And just because an opinion has been widely followed doesn't necessarily make it correct or fact. Opinions are just that, an opinion. * Opinion--Personally if it isn't a pete, kenworth or freightliner it ain't worth owning, but again that's just my opinion, opinions will vary, just like mileage.

  8639. #8639Truck Shop2024-10-02 18:19

    And how many never removed the drain plug from the shallow end of a 3406. Not many because most I've removed were covered with crap. * Had some like that--I made a light sheet metal {half cone} with a couple small holes on the ears, hook rubber tarp straps to those then anything I could catch on the engine, just enough to hold it.

  8640. #8640DMiller2024-10-02 18:25

    And how many never removed the drain plug from the shallow end of a 3406. Not many because most I've removed were covered with crap. And Same Plug C15s

  8641. #8641Truck Shop2024-10-02 19:15

    You know a C15-5ek is just another 3406

  8642. #8642Truck Shop2024-10-02 19:16

    Corbitt. *

  8643. #8643skyking12024-10-02 22:31

    One stack, make it a tall please.

  8644. #8644crane operator2024-10-02 23:37
  8645. #8645DMiller2024-10-03 04:28

    Yes am aware, yet in changing to the SOHC the 3406 became the C and Cat did not alter that odd design Two sump pan.

  8646. #8646Truck Shop2024-10-03 09:15

    Why yes it is, all day today and tomorrow into next year.

  8647. #8647Truck Shop2024-10-03 09:38

    Ever the notice the rise in use of the {Haha}? Just how many Haha's did you get today? There could be good and bad Haha's at the same time, with most folks you just don't know what kind of Haha your going to get!

  8648. #8648Truck Shop2024-10-03 18:16

    And look I was rewarded with a Haha!

  8649. #8649Truck Shop2024-10-03 21:16
  8650. #8650skyking12024-10-03 21:51

    that's a nice picture, good angle and background. I like the trailer jacked like that with the front of the tank showing.

  8651. #8651Truck Shop2024-10-03 22:10

    That emblem on the front---Beall, built in Portland, mid 60's tanker. Beall Trans Liner.

  8652. #8652Truck Shop2024-10-04 21:02

    To add to Crane Operators opinion in the Aviation Thread, about old aircraft and old pilots. There are too many old commercial drivers on the road now. My old company just let go of two--one 76 the other 81. Too many issues in the last year from both. Many are driving because they have to--need the income--others hiding from the wife--and some just don't want or really understand they need to hang it up. Bad vision, bad reflexes, border line health conditions all the way around. * I personally--my physical card will expire at 70-that's the end for me.----------------------- I would rather go out with a clean record on my own terms rather than {being told we don't think you can cut the mustard anymore so won't be requiring your services}. Sad way to end.

  8653. #8653DMiller2024-10-04 21:04

    My card stops at 69, HOWEVER, Doc stated I should be able to manage a next two years for another. Health not as bad os once thought. Just old and well busted.

  8654. #8654Truck Shop2024-10-04 21:07

    And that's when a guy starts fooling himself. But you have too now---got that RSH & cycle hauler to pull around--and still haul gravel in between--oh I meant clay.

  8655. #8655crane operator2024-10-04 21:48

    Its a 85, and I don't think it would be my paint choice for colors, but they sure put a lot of work into it.

  8656. #8656crane operator2024-10-04 21:49
  8657. #8657Truck Shop2024-10-04 22:02

    Ha ha ha-----------------------------It's still just a ford--you can't buy parts for. It's a tough truck but way past it's due date. From the great plains eastward Ford, Chevy, Dodge had a foot hold they never had out here. Something about don't buy big trucks from companies that make cars IIRC.

  8658. #8658Pops522024-10-04 22:19

    I drove a ford once. Only once. With a grocery bag with eye holes cut in. It wasn’t near as bad as the Vulva with the auto 12 speed I drove once. (All in semi retirement of course)

  8659. #8659DMiller2024-10-05 06:29

    Do haul gravel, shot rock, sand, clay, and demolition materials. Fooling no one including myself, know my limits and do not challenge them for as much as wish could. Company has hired three drivers recently for steady hauls of clay and other commodities to cement or other plants, quad dump trucks are hauling asphalt a lot recently, still a nasty mess to deal with and does not ever pay enough for the wait times those endure. Owner is experimenting as to alternative income sources, problem is spot uses of a limited few machines does not generate mass income. Other companies made their mark with fleets just doing a few simpler actions as asphalt and rock hauls, others spread rock as a daily duty, some have also invested in spreader boxes for more uniform deliveries. Many around here have stopped relegating end dumps for clay opting to haul construction loads as sand and crushed stone only where loads do not cross contaminate as hauling grains fertilizer then clay or other materials requiring cleanouts between each one. Time lost is also revenue lost.

  8660. #8660Truck Shop2024-10-05 10:01

    Time lost is just that. Revenue is just that, people can't stop thinking about a dollar bill. Sting & the band Police had it right in the song {Every Breath You Take, money is on the plate, creates a fools heart ache every breath they take}. * greed, greed, greed, greed, greed, then greedier followed by greediest. Money is what drives the 50 it's all about money and lots of it, piles of it.

  8661. #8661DMiller2024-10-05 18:53

    And seems is still quite prevalent here TS. The rig I run is a 30' Tub, can ALMOST measure out 34 feet front drive to absolute rear trailer axle, sat down and did the REAL math as to Bridge Law, NOT pretty. Max GROSS can only be 64,500, general day in/day out is 80-80500. 8 ton TOO High.

  8662. #8662Truck Shop2024-10-05 19:29

    My old employer has finally dropped the ax on his only four three axle tractors and two axle trailers. For the type of hauling the company does which is figured on 98,000 gross being contract hauls the 80K trucks are just a rotting fish. No money in running 48 states with those, a problem to dispatch finding anything that had a small amount of profit. Two only have 125K on them. The company runs on zones with the 98K loads, can't do that under contract with lighter weight and make anything. Could get a haul one direction then shuffle to get it back home. His wheel line sprinkler business is doing fairly well, I expect him to dump the lot of trucks/trailers in 6 years. He is tired of the hassle with drivers, insurance, fuel costs, I told him better to make less with less headaches in a business that has few ups & downs selling replacement parts and complete systems with a much lower overhead. He and his dad bought Thunderbird wheel line company with all assets included. He already sold six locally, with more possibilities of sales this next spring. Chris has been good to me and I wish he and his dad all the luck in that venture, and to hell with trucking.

  8663. #8663Truck Shop2024-10-05 19:34

    Wheel line Irrigation System Made in USA | Thunderbird Our rolling wheel line irrigation system is engineered for optimal water coverage, years of durability, and easy movement from field to field. Made in the USA. www.thunderbirdmfg.com

  8664. #8664DMiller2024-10-05 19:37

    Seen a few either similar or same make North of here, Most still depend of Pivots they bought thirty-forty years ago.

  8665. #8665Truck Shop2024-10-05 19:44

    Thunderbird is the only wheel line that the power head runs on the end of wheel line with a amazingly simple drive shaft running down one half of 1/4 mile line. It uses a 5 hp Honda that clamps on the end, move the line remove power head and take it to the next line. It will transvers some really steep terrain and the line stays relatively straight each move. Allot of them in Idaho tater fields. The guy who designed the drive system made watches believe it or not. His dad has known him for years and was offered the business.

  8666. #8666Truck Shop2024-10-07 09:55
  8667. #8667Truck Shop2024-10-07 21:44
  8668. #8668DMiller2024-10-08 04:18

    The three Petes a Deck Set?

  8669. #8669Truck Shop2024-10-08 09:06

    Correct. * Years ago I knew a OLD Dallis Mavis driver, company that shuttled decked new tractors. He was on Donner, had one come undone, a load of 700L Macks.

  8670. #8670Pops522024-10-08 09:38

    Sad……they were so young……

  8671. #8671Truck Shop2024-10-08 10:04

    Here's one of those midwestern/east coast piles, raised cab 900 with a typical low power 903 engine choice. Buyers in that part of the country hated their mechanics and mechaincs in general--But It's So Mean Looking, It Has The Look Of POWER,---------------- ugly as hell. for sale for $8K. *

  8672. #8672Bumpsteer2024-10-08 22:16

    Good old Dodge...swing open fenders, always had a place for ones beer. Sure needed it. Ed

  8673. #8673DMiller2024-10-09 04:55

    ALL that Fugly in ONE Package!!!

  8674. #8674Truck Shop2024-10-09 07:36

    The Ford N Series, GMC 7000 series, Dodge 500 to 900 series were just possibly some of the biggest piles rolling the streets, oh left out Ford C series. Crap wagons that counties bought because were cheap. Everyone I listed above were absolute rust buckets----even based in desert conditions. Military contracts were another source to hamper with these piles.

  8675. #8675DMiller2024-10-09 09:11

    New models disposable curb/utility pole feelers. New guy lasted ONE day after riding with another driver two weeks.

  8676. #8676Truck Shop2024-10-09 09:49

    Look at that digger doug strayed into territory he knows zero about, nothing, zip.

  8677. #8677Truck Shop2024-10-09 21:39

    FWD used allot of Dodge cabs, it was the weak link--rust. The seams rotted out not leaving much to keep the doors on. This one is a rare one, FWD didn't sell many, one of their forays into on road market. *

  8678. #8678DMiller2024-10-10 04:54

    Dodge GM Ford and IH offered cabs to alter market manufacturers, none survived. Now GM Ford and STELLANTIS offer running chassis to IH and other companies to relabel as Mid Range trucks. Sad.

  8679. #8679Truck Shop2024-10-10 09:29

    Mid range/business class is tied up with Freightliner/PacCar. Why anybody would waste money on Ford-GM, it's too funny the posts of my GM 3116 has this issue and the juice brakes are needing rebuilt. All the F650 threads--junk.

  8680. #8680Truck Shop2024-10-10 21:35

    one chimney square windows. *

  8681. #8681Truck Shop2024-10-11 04:19

    Yes early this morning on HEF---it was the attack of the 50' Swetatiwari Spam Monster.

  8682. #8682Pops522024-10-11 10:31

    And no shiny crap to polish and a “no glare” black hood.

  8683. #8683mekanik2024-10-11 10:44

    A 1" plywood floor?

  8684. #8684Truck Shop2024-10-11 17:16

    And possibly no key type ignition switch.

  8685. #8685Pops522024-10-11 17:32

    This was my 72. The key took the place of the toggle but the black button still did the work which I liked. There was also a Cat disconnect inside the frame by the fuel pump. I’m thinkin the Pete in your pic TS, is a 70 or 71 looking at the bottom of the grill.

  8686. #8686crane operator2024-10-11 17:42

    1941 white for sale

  8687. #8687crane operator2024-10-11 17:52

    Dart quarry truck, still on the job

  8688. #8688crane operator2024-10-11 17:53
  8689. #8689Truck Shop2024-10-11 18:21

    I'm thinking it's a 68 or 69.

  8690. #8690Acoals2024-10-11 19:09

    That spring stack spells operator comfort right there . . .

  8691. #8691Truck Shop2024-10-11 19:20

    Dart/PacCar--

  8692. #8692kshansen2024-10-11 19:50

    That last picture showing the steering wheel from below tells me it has an Allison transmission with the electric shift control. Rebuilt a few of those shifters used in the Mack off-highway trucks. Fun job disassembling the shift tower and replacing , was it 8 or 10 micro-switches then connecting all the wires back to them! The first one I did was the worst one. That one was built with the three wires to each micro-switch soldered in place! The newer versions after that had slid connect terminals. Also had some 'fun' with the little solenoids that shift tower controlled. Had to be sure you had the correct voltage solenoids and then on one truck found out they made a change to the solenoids where the newer version was polarity sensitive. Of course we had to get just one Mack truck that had positive ground and all the others we had were negative ground!

  8693. #8693Truck Shop2024-10-11 19:53

    The magic word------Mack.

  8694. #8694Truck Shop2024-10-11 19:55

    A gravel pit I use to haul out of had one like that---the mechanics drew straws.

  8695. #8695DMiller2024-10-11 20:13

    To see which one lost

  8696. #8696Truck Shop2024-10-11 20:33

    That White C.O. posted---talk about tiny cabs. Had to be a total sweat box, zero insulation and loud. If two were riding in one it had to be that the passenger knew the driver farted before the driver knew it, a model T had more room. This one below I photo'd on a farm at the edge of town, a 51 IIRC with a not common grille. *

  8697. #8697DMiller2024-10-11 20:37

    Neighbor here Had a Mustang White, offered for sale thru a nephew I worked with, could not corkscrew my frame thru the door to get in it.

  8698. #8698crane operator2024-10-11 21:10

    Its got a cushy looking seat. Looks like it had some kind of spring/ air suspension in that box under the seat. Probably all frozen up and doesn't work, but there's some foam left. Got to be optimistic.

  8699. #8699crane operator2024-10-11 21:13

    I saw it and thought you would get a bang out of those pictures, with all years you spent at the quarry. Anyone recognize the engine?

  8700. #8700Truck Shop2024-10-11 21:29

    Not from that photo or angle, high mount turbo.

  8701. #8701Truck Shop2024-10-11 21:31

    A perfect truck for crane op.

  8702. #8702crane operator2024-10-11 21:47

    A grove cab in a crane I used to drive, had welded on 1/4" studs to hold the upholstery buttons in the ceiling, The buttons and insulation were long gone, but the studs were still there. I was concerned I might have leaked some brain fluid when I hit one after a vigorous asphalt encounter. It still hurts when I think about it.

  8703. #8703Truck Shop2024-10-11 21:54

    Well I'm sure it does--there is just something about getting poked in the skull that isn't much fun & can riel one in a instant.

  8704. #8704Shimmy12024-10-11 22:20

    VTA28?

  8705. #8705crane operator2024-10-11 23:06

    Don't be putting any question marks on your answers. I don't know what it is, except some kind of big V with yellow paint all over it. I was hoping one of these old duffers would pipe up with "its a red bellied oliveier-moline-buda kumquat underdrive- they made hella power but the gov't outlawed them cause they didn't burn enough fuel". Or some BS like that. IT could be a VTA28.

  8706. #8706Pops522024-10-12 00:45

    2 spots on the cooling system made me think cummins. But I'm just a worn out old truckdriver....

  8707. #8707Truck Shop2024-10-12 09:55

    More commonly known as a 1710. The damper looks 1710.

  8708. #8708Truck Shop2024-10-12 09:57

    Funny when there isn't enough for some to explore on hef, they tend to drift to this thread to irritate----so they think. The spit forming at the edges of their mouth is getting rather thick & nasty thinking about the 5th. * Those were ozdozer replies.

  8709. #8709mekanik2024-10-12 10:42

    I think you are right that is a VT1710.

  8710. #8710Truck Shop2024-10-12 10:47

    The 1710 was the most common used in 60' 70's 80's for large equipment, it had a wide range of horse power/torque options--but it was a massive chunk of iron.

  8711. #8711mekanik2024-10-12 10:51

    I rebuilt one years ago. It was over six feet wide it the aftercoolers.

  8712. #8712Vetech632024-10-12 12:25

    The only truck I could ever depend on.

  8713. #8713Truck Shop2024-10-12 14:38

    Allot less issues with that one, cheaper on fuel too.

  8714. #8714Truck Shop2024-10-12 14:40

    Helped a friend about 14 years go rebuild his that was in a Mobark grinder. Tiresome.

  8715. #8715mekanik2024-10-12 15:01

    I was glad to see it leave. I had to pull it out of a R-50 Euclid rebuild it and put it back in again.

  8716. #8716kshansen2024-10-12 15:09

    Yep! just needs a mug of hot coco and a couple chocolate chip cookies and it would be hauling dirt for a few hours!

  8717. #8717kshansen2024-10-12 15:50

    I think a 1710 or maybe it was a bit smaller version of the same engine being the first diesel I had the pleasure of helping rebuild. I know it was a V-12 Cummins installed in a 475 IIA Michigan front end loader! As I recall the lower ends of the con-rods were too big to go through the cylinder liners. Recall having to make a plate to slip over the lower end of con-rod that was used to push the liners up and out of the block. I'm thinking the 1710 had 5 1/2 bores and possibly the engine I'm recalling was the 5 1/8 bore engine? I'm talking about some work I did over half a century ago so don't get too upset if I have a few errors!

  8718. #8718mekanik2024-10-12 15:58

    Yes there was a 5 1/8" Cummins V12. A place I worked for years ago bought a bulk lot of Cummins service manuals. There was one there for the smaller V12.

  8719. #8719Truck Shop2024-10-12 18:37

    It was a 1486 V12 IIRC, a 50's unit. * The Series 60 14L---rods/pistons are assembled loaded in liner and installed as a unit. Removed the same. I had one on the floor chained down with a piece oak for a driver with bottle jack, the rod rests against liner. Detroit has a rather spendy liner/piston/rod removing tool. Monaco Tool makes one also.

  8720. #8720Acoals2024-10-12 23:27

    I had a lot of miles on one of those. Mine even had a plow . . .

  8721. #8721Truck Shop2024-10-13 09:34

    This unit here--1710 powered, chipper, shredder. noisy as hell to be around complete with it's own grapple/feeder. *

  8722. #8722Truck Shop2024-10-13 09:37

    The above unit is a little more than the local rental has to offer, tough to tow with a big nose.

  8723. #8723Shimmy12024-10-13 10:37

    Wonder if someone builds a big enough shedder to throw that whole mess into all at once. Now THAT would make a hell of a noise... Good riddance. Get something new and more modern.

  8724. #8724JaredV2024-10-13 13:01

    I've hauled from one about that same vintage and it runs every day. Has a KT600 and no boom as they have a shovel with it to handle the wood anyway. They have two much newer machines but the old one seems to be just as reliable.

  8725. #8725Truck Shop2024-10-13 16:59

    What was that--must have been a distant echo--sounded like gas being passed. * No trees in ND----who would or know how to run a shredder.

  8726. #8726Truck Shop2024-10-13 21:05
  8727. #8727Truck Shop2024-10-14 18:55
  8728. #8728Truck Shop2024-10-14 21:29

    A favorite photo--these were pretty fancy in their day with twin chimneys. *

  8729. #8729crane operator2024-10-14 23:27

    1956 Kenworth W923 Cummins MTC 350 13speed Aluminum frame Truck originally came from Sacramento, California was owned by Chicks Produce. Was told it was one of the original fleet trucks and was restored somewhere between the 80s-90s. They Updated the motor and trans, Swapped out rear ends with newer 410s on peterbuilt air leaf. Aluminum buds,peterbuilt tanks. We bought & shipped to Illinois in 2016 from the second owner out of Colorado. Truck has been stored in heated shop and has never seen salt. It has been ran regularly during the nice weather months and used few times for light hauling. This truck has mainly been used for joy rides & small local car shows. Clean title in hand. PM for more information. $50,000

  8730. #8730Welder Dave2024-10-14 23:59

    Too bad the seat is ripped, otherwise looks pretty clean for a 1956. I wouldn't have thought they had aluminum frames in 1956.

  8731. #8731Truck Shop2024-10-15 09:06

    That has been for sale for a while now. Biggest issue is the Pete suspension, that's a take away. * Aluminum frames go back to the 40's, very common all through 50's/60's.

  8732. #8732Truck Shop2024-10-15 21:33

    The thing that really distracts/doesn't add in a value sense, is when old trucks like the one above have a rear suspension installed from another brand. That 56 even with KW 8 bag suspension would have more than likely sold by now. Even if it had Reyco AR102 4 bag aftermarket. There has been several with Airliner installed---it drives the desired buyers will to part with big cash downward.

  8733. #8733westerner2024-10-15 21:51

    TS- tell an old car mechanic the nuances between the suspensions listed above, would ya?

  8734. #8734Truck Shop2024-10-15 22:13

    The Pete Airleaf had a tendency of riding high on rear axle, it was finicky about ride height and intermediate drive shaft angle, then Pete came out with Lowair suspension in early 90's and really no one ordered Airleaf after that. KW 8 Bag was a rough riding suspension unless fully loaded and had cracking/wear issues. Newway 4 bag was was good using Hendrickson axle hangers, and was tough. Freightliners first air ride broke u-bolts/not much travel, then they built Air Liner 4 bag with underslung spring/axle mounting which gave a good ride. But Reyco was the first with a z spring extended air bag called AR102, which all copied to some extent--International was one who basically copied it piece for piece, right along with Volvo. But Pete Airleaf always cause a 352 or 359 to set high in the ass giving the truck a raked look & truthfully didn't ride that well.

  8735. #873556wrench2024-10-16 09:05

    My old ‘79 W/Star apparently left the factory with a Neway but somebody swapped a Pete Airtrac onto it with a fairly wide axle spread. I always wondered why until a guy at a truck wreckers told me it was a common practice in BC for logging. Maybe for stability? I really didn’t care for it

  8736. #8736Truck Shop2024-10-16 21:09
  8737. #8737Truck Shop2024-10-16 21:13

    Um---Neway was a way better suspension off road, allot of offroad ran those. The housing hangers were Hendrickson so a set of 60" beams or 52" would have gone right emplace.

  8738. #873856wrench2024-10-17 09:23

    Ya that pete airtrac was terrible on uneven ground. I had to redo several approaches from the sideroads into the fields to accommodate it. It was one of the earlier airtrac suspensions with no replaceable wear pads in the spring hangers

  8739. #8739Truck Shop2024-10-17 19:45
  8740. #8740Shimmy12024-10-17 23:12

    Must be it's maiden voyage. The front corner of the trailer isn't black.

  8741. #8741Truck Shop2024-10-18 08:24

    Or just washed, a few outfits washed in those days, about 6 times a year. Drivers washed about every 4 days now it's every 10 days.

  8742. #8742Truck Shop2024-10-19 04:47

    Supposedly a 1933, KW. *

  8743. #8743Truck Shop2024-10-19 05:30

    1933 KW. *

  8744. #8744Truck Shop2024-10-19 18:05

    I remember when Puget had these 700RL's, always liked the 700's, I believe all were Cummins powered. *

  8745. #8745JaredV2024-10-19 19:47

    Do you know what happened to them? They were everywhere around here and then I noticed I hadn't seen them in a while when I saw a former trailer going down the road.

  8746. #8746Truck Shop2024-10-19 20:27

    Died from poor management.

  8747. #8747Truck Shop2024-10-19 21:12

    1977 Star.

  8748. #8748Welder Dave2024-10-19 22:58

    RL's were aluminum frame weren't they? My former neighbor back in the day liked R600's with the 237 Mack but I think he blew up a couple over revving them too. I heard Mack rated their HP at the rear wheels so their power ratings seemed a little low with other engines. I was also reading Mack advertised easier to drive due to less gear shifting because the engines had 52% torque rise. A lot of people liked Mack because they made everything, engine, trans., and diff's. and they were designed to work with each other.

  8749. #8749Truck Shop2024-10-20 02:11

    Well the 700's were/was a left coast crack I mean mack built in Hayward California starting in 1966. That really didn't set well with all the spaghetti/cannoli tribe east of the continental divide for a bit, but they slowly got use to the idea of a crack being built in and around turbo city. And yeah some had aluminum rails as well as steel, and the engines were rated at flywheel by my records but did produce good torque. And yes there was the famed crack 5 speed for those with a pack of Lucky Strikes rolled up in there T shirt sleave, they set & puffed the smokes while the engine smoked from lugging, rolling coal out the puny stack which really made for some mistaken thoughts that the Crack coming down the road billowing black was a powerful critter straining at the bit--it just needed more gears to keep the clown behind the wheel awake. Knew a guy who drove a Cruise Liner COE with a east coast 5 speed--to say he hated it would be a understatement. * Below is a model of the 1970 RWB Crack which mack actually produced real cracks painted like this, I saw a few real ones, a concreate co in Sackoftomatos had some. And the reason it came about was a movie called Easy Rider with Fonda on the Captain Merica pan head. So mack jumped on the main street band wagon and offered a star spangled crack. IIRC there are no original 1970 spangled cracks still alive. *

  8750. #8750Truck Shop2024-10-20 02:29

    Out west just as many despised all mack drive trains, most all RL700 loggers were Cummins powered with spicer gear boxes or eaton, but would run mack drives. I have a photo somewhere of a 1966 I worked on for the Ag company I worked for, the things mack from factory was the cab, frame, power steering & radiator. The rest was cummins, spicer & rockwell.

  8751. #8751Welder Dave2024-10-20 02:42

    I thought I read the L means aluminum frame. L for light maybe? At first glance I thought the Easy Rider Mack was a 1976 like several other companies did for the centennial. Case tractors and BE cranes for sure had Spirit of 76 red, white and blue painted models. The Mack looks kind of hidious, probably why none survived. Comparing the Mack cab to a Ford, it looks like Ford used a similar curved windshield but the interior was bigger.

  8752. #8752Truck Shop2024-10-20 02:45

    might be---but it's late and not going to check, But the RL's were long hood.

  8753. #8753Truck Shop2024-10-20 02:46

    musk needs to be kicked in the musk.

  8754. #8754Welder Dave2024-10-20 03:00

    I did a quick look and L did stand for lightweight as in aluminum frame and more use of aluminum. If the frame ever got tweaked, I think an aluminum frame would might be done for.

  8755. #8755Truck Shop2024-10-20 09:38

    I've seen a truck with aluminum rails--steer was on the ground and drives twisted up 45* and still set flat/straight once righted, it took allot to f@ck one up. * * * On another note----the sage ---voice's of reasons---experts in fields from nuclear power and electric vehicles to cooking brisket on a Sunday morning. Know everything and seen everything. It takes an incredible amount of sageness to be in business and know everything there is in this world about fiscal, and just plain hard facts of business in merica. Very astute people these days walking the earths surface, never--since the beginning of time {and that's not 10,000 years ago but millions of years} have the average been so lucky as to be in the presents of the Sage, Responsible, all knowing all seeing contractor in 2024 and into the vast future. * * Think Musk is a cool guy---then get out and by one of his electric cars.

  8756. #8756Welder Dave2024-10-20 15:10

    Aluminum frames can be straightened then. I wonder if any heat is involved or the frames neat heat treatmeng after straightening? As far as Musk or anybody else with boatloads of money, I don't think they should have free reign to buy what ever other companies they want. He shouldn't have been allowed to buy Twitter in my opinion. It gives him too much control over other people. He can manipulate it to serve his personal opinions. He wants to challenge the authorities on what is acceptable conduct (no censureship) and have nothing off the table. That's scary and gets a lot of people worked up. There are a lot of people that are easily brainwashed. Just look at how many think a Cybertruck is cool. It's more hideous than a Pontiac Aztec or the old Dodge semi's. Tesla is in the news currently because their self driving taxi trials have resulted in someone getting killed. Self driving vehicles is BS to me. With a driver everything can be observed and steps can be taken to prevent accidents or other issues. It reminds me of when Bomarc missles were supposed to be the great new defense system and Canada cancelled the Avro Arrow. History has proven that manned fighter jets are the best option because they bring a human element into a suspected breach of air space. A plane goes off course for some reason and a big wig decides it's a threat so shoots it down.

  8757. #8757Truck Shop2024-10-20 19:22

    It flexes to a point then cracks---I know of no one in years past that straightened aluminum. Weld a crack yes.

  8758. #8758Truck Shop2024-10-20 20:42

    Primer 1951 Pete with Series 60 12.7 liter, owned by Denny Edwards-Portland Or. He built the extended hood also. Have had a few conversations with Denny. *

  8759. #8759Truck Shop2024-10-20 20:44

    1949 Pete--El Turbo, runs across the south west. *

  8760. #8760Truck Shop2024-10-20 20:46

    And this one does not exist. *

  8761. #8761Welder Dave2024-10-20 23:30

    Your long hood Mack is still the bomb! I never realized that Mack would use so many different engine and powertrain choices. Did Mack ever install Cat or Detroit 2 strokes in their trucks?

  8762. #8762Truck Shop2024-10-21 06:46

    Lots of 2 strokes I only saw a few cat powered.

  8763. #8763Truck Shop2024-10-21 19:23

    Late 50's early 60's, probably with 238's for power. *

  8764. #8764Truck Shop2024-10-21 22:19

    1958. *

  8765. #8765DMiller2024-10-22 06:03

    Can still remember the earth shattering, as well Windshields when a 8664 was jacked over center without bleeding out the NEW Lift Cylinders on it. IIRC Tore up the cab mount points for the cylinders to a point cab had to go to body shop for some serious work.

  8766. #8766Truck Shop2024-10-22 08:04

    Note it's a monster with a 220 plus main & auxiliary gear boxes, single cab lock/release handle that later was redesigned with two levers.

  8767. #8767JaredV2024-10-22 09:15

    I've heard of saboteurs pulling 5th wheel latches when a truck is parked. I wonder if anyone in a COE has ever hit the brakes and had the cab tilt because someone unlatched the cab. I would think a daycab could flop pretty easy. Or would the tilt cylinder prevent that?

  8768. #876856wrench2024-10-22 09:15

    I hated working on cabovers. It seemed like the gearshift tower was always in the way for whatever i was trying to get at

  8769. #8769Truck Shop2024-10-22 09:32

    There was a second safety latch.

  8770. #8770Pops522024-10-22 11:01

    I drove one occasionally just like this one when I was young. Daycab beat you to death, we kept looking to see if the cab latches were broke. Safety latch was choke cable with t-handle. I cant remember what I had for dinner yesterday but I can remember many details about "#5" 1965 kit. 3 axle, 262 with 590 turbo, R-96 and the generator ran off the blower drive. Engine sock filter hung off the rear head, 750 just like the pic. Rears were aluminum housings with brass ring & pinion drop-ins from the top, used mineral oil that smelled like dead fish. Freightliner leaf susp. Keeping drive tires matched was a must. Cab was nice (4 years old) even had a built in radio. Top speed 62. Dont remember the license plate # but it started with W58 I think......... Just another memory

  8771. #8771Truck Shop2024-10-22 13:15

    First pile I drove was a 66 single screw with a 335 & 10, 4 gauges.

  8772. #8772Pops522024-10-22 13:21

    They only used 4 guages to keep the weight down............

  8773. #8773Truck Shop2024-10-22 14:47

    That's true but one of them was tach-0 graph- volt gauge was inoperable.

  8774. #8774Pops522024-10-22 16:20

    Less guages, less to be concerned about I guess. The 8341 will let one know when it runs out of oil.........

  8775. #8775Truck Shop2024-10-22 19:22

    Actually--there were more gauges, those were the only that worked.

  8776. #8776Welder Dave2024-10-22 19:37

    Some newer trucks have so many gauges they're a distraction. I can imagine mechanics hate the extra mess of wiring when trying to diagnose an electrical problem.

  8777. #8777Truck Shop2024-10-22 19:56

    Well these days it's a dash with big screen tv atmosphere. The 5 W990's the company bought in 2022, 3 had several issues with the dash going into a blackout---zip & nothing. Two had major dash harnesses changed out. Five 2021 Freightliner Cascadia's had driver awareness crash avoidance systems. {Driver put both hands on the steering Wheel} audio would sound. The steering gear was electronic combined with sensors in front and on passenger side of cab. As soon as it detected {Too Close To Fog Line} a noise {rapid thumping like a Woodpecker would erupt from passenger side dash audio as a warning and the steering wheel would automatically start a tugging motion back to center lane. * It's stuff like this members on here know nothing about in real time--sometimes it makes me laugh when a discussion starts about emissions------That's the least of the worries anymore, everyday issues is what DEF, DPF is. It's these things that are troublesome, because once ordered with these items---most can't just be deleted & some can, all depends.

  8778. #8778Camshawn2024-10-22 21:09

    I don’t like the new computer controls. Our Subaru has that. First week driving, steered around a pothole on a country road and the car steered us into the pothole as well as making a sh**load of noise. Scared the crap out of us. Had an empty garbage bag blowing across the road, brakes panic stopped the car and dirtied the pants of the guy behind us. I think you can keep all that stuff. Cam

  8779. #8779Truck Shop2024-10-22 21:26

    I don't room to put it, I live a sparse existence.

  8780. #8780DMiller2024-10-23 04:25

    New Petes coming to yard where I play, have electronics to everything as noted above, become a serious distraction IMHO more than safety features. Saw this coming in new cars and really cannot think of a worse place to utilize than on HD Trucks. Simplicity is a safer course to follow.

  8781. #8781Truck Shop2024-10-23 09:50

    Can't have that way plus not going to----If everyone wants things to go back to simpler times. * Then they can start by throwing their cell phone away and go back to land lines--we all know that is not going to happen. * Gen X through Z are not going to drop the technical life, they like it. Boomers will die hating it to some extent. Boomers are the last to know what it was like before computers took charge of everyday life.

  8782. #8782cfherrman2024-10-23 13:11

    Problem is when you get insurance discounts for these things and you can't afford not to have them, then they break all the time

  8783. #8783Truck Shop2024-10-23 14:48

    Insurance discounts in commercial fleets amounts to about zero net savings. Having dash cams and low incident rates is where and gain comes to play. None of the items I mentioned above are incentives. Insurance companies are more inclined to view rates with safety record and hiring practices. Loose your scale bypass privilege with lets say Oregon ODOT and that will change rates instantly. Those avoidance systems became a selling point with truck manufactures & never really reflected on insurance rates. Most of those devises have already become passe. The only standard item is forward motion camera mounted in grille or top of windshield.

  8784. #8784Welder Dave2024-10-23 14:50

    I totally agree on the distraction end of it. Here they can give you a ticket just for charging your phone from the center console, not using it all. With the distracted laws I think manufacturers should be held accountable. I have a rather small display in the middle of the dash on my F150 but they keep advertising larger and larger optional displays. How does anyone figure a display the size of a large tablet won't be a distraction? It's big and easy to see, great, but that also makes it more of a distraction. It's beyond ridiculous. Even for tuning the radio there's a bazillion options and they all require you to look at the screen. Same thing if your vehicle has navigation directions. It's not so bad if it talks to you and tells you when to turn but first you have to input where you want to go. I'm sure there are a lot of people that try to do it in traffic rather than pulling over or going into a parking lot. What's funny is some cars won't let you do certain things while in motion while at the same time do let you do things that are just as much a distraction.

  8785. #8785Truck Shop2024-10-23 14:56

    There was a ad that BMW promoted a few years back-{The Ultimate Driving Machine} showing a person at parallel parking spot and the car parks it's self. * The Ultimate Driving Machine---Who is driving who, in that case certainly not the human.

  8786. #8786cfherrman2024-10-23 15:42

    I thought that was Lexus

  8787. #8787Truck Shop2024-10-23 16:14
  8788. #8788colson042024-10-23 16:21

    Ford just announced they are going to stop including that feature going forward as their data feedback shows very little people actually use it.

  8789. #8789Truck Shop2024-10-23 16:23

    The gizmo that needs to be installed is a gription devise---a pair of vise grips --that pop out of the dash of oversize quad cab short or long box pickups, that when parked in lot taking up three spaces plus being parked crooked---it latches on to the drivers nut sack and squeezes till you can hear him scream 6 blocks away------that would be a good gizmo.

  8790. #8790Welder Dave2024-10-23 16:24

    What's really bizzare is the parallel parking assist is a nice feature to have. Lost count of how many times I've seen people attempt parallel parking and just shaking my head at how bad they are at it. I think some of the park assist options only turned the steering wheel but the driver still had to use the gas and more importantly the brake pedal. Wondering if maybe too many cars were backed into (because the driver didn't hit brakes) could be why Ford discontinued it?

  8791. #8791Truck Shop2024-10-23 16:25

    is that few or small people like midgets.

  8792. #8792colson042024-10-23 16:26

    Very few people actually use it*

  8793. #8793Welder Dave2024-10-23 16:42

    People with fancy or expensive cars should have it too. See them taking 2 or more parking spots trying to show off. I bought a Supercab truck because I like the space behind the front seats. I don't know why so many people people buy the crew cabs. They're ridiculously long. 8 foot boxes aren't common like they used to be so it looks dumb when the cab of a truck is longer than the box. Put an 8' box on it's not a land yacht anymore... it's a cruise ship. I'd also bet a lot of owners rarely carry passengers in the back. It's almost like a status symbol instead of being practical.

  8794. #8794DMiller2024-10-23 18:06

    Wife calls them School Buses with hips when are Dually.

  8795. #8795Truck Shop2024-10-23 19:32

    Big Nose Big Buns Chevy, Dodge & Ford.

  8796. #8796Truck Shop2024-10-23 19:43

    International in 1957 introduced the Travelite, the first crewcab pickup. Back then no one would be caught dead ridding around in one of these, just wasn't cool. Now days need one to haul the Labradoodle--that's ok it's their money but my how times change. *

  8797. #8797Welder Dave2024-10-23 21:29

    IH did have crew cabs early.

  8798. #8798Truck Shop2024-10-23 21:54

    This Zenith of Vancouver BC, KW is equipped with a Truck Trailer sleeper, Tractor is 1962 vintage. *

  8799. #8799Welder Dave2024-10-23 22:00

    Those are small exhaust stacks. Could it have a Detroit, maybe 8V-71? I've heard that single exhaust has more torque than dual but don't know if it makes any difference. I wouldn't think so as long as the exhaust isn't overly restricted.

  8800. #8800Truck Shop2024-10-23 22:05

    No those are 5"--Cummins powered, KW's that vintage very rarely had a V-series sack of manure under the hood. As a matter of fact I've never seen one, inline 238 671 yes.

  8801. #8801cfherrman2024-10-23 22:49

    Not the motto, the commercial, back in 2013 Lexus advertised a car that parallel parks itself

  8802. #8802DMiller2024-10-24 04:02

    So I have noticed very very VERY many times driving any of the HDTs company or Blue, in general drivers coming the opposite direction move to the shoulder Fog Line. Check mirrors and relative structures position where I am in My Lane. Anyone else see this routine?

  8803. #8803colson042024-10-24 06:42

    I have noticed the same. I'll double check my mirrors to verify my position in my lane and I'm where I'm supposed to be. People just get intimidated by large trucks on narrow country roads.

  8804. #880456wrench2024-10-24 07:58

    On gravel roads i move way over and slow down to avoid flying gravel from the oncoming vehicle no matter the size. I prefer to think i have less gravel damage to my vehicle by doing that

  8805. #8805crane operator2024-10-24 08:23

    Couple of our rigs have yellow spinners, and people get over like I'm a fire truck. Which isn't a bad thing, sometimes both yellow lines need to be part of my lane.

  8806. #8806Truck Shop2024-10-24 08:23

    Yes the motto and the BMW ad with the phrase UDM, others had parking ability also.

  8807. #8807Truck Shop2024-10-24 08:32

    ****----hauling grain in Columbia County, not one of the roads have shoulder. There is a fog line---painted on top of broken bits and pieces of old blacktop. A grain truck has all of 6 inches to the center line and 6 inches to the fog line, windy, twisty, rough road following the bottom of a canyon to the river. The good thing about it is it teaches new drivers real quick about staying in their portion of highway real-estate.

  8808. #8808Acoals2024-10-24 08:59

    Any of you crew cab haters ever ridden in the back of a super cab with a couple other guys for a few hours?

  8809. #8809Welder Dave2024-10-24 13:54

    Not very often you see people in the back seat of a crew cab. It's roomy and easy to get in but not the most practical for a lot of people. If you often carry 3 or more passengers then they make sense but most people with trucks aren't carrying multiple passengers that often. Parking is a problem and most owners could care less if they make parking difficult for someone else.

  8810. #8810Truck Shop2024-10-24 14:06

    No but I remember a cross country trip to Maryland then to Arkansas in 1961, a family of 7 in a 1960 Ford ranch wagon. Mom learned about not making egg salad sandwiches, brother ate three and three hours later it was 65 and windows down. *

  8811. #8811Truck Shop2024-10-24 15:31

    As at the conclusion of a 40's movie {Finis}. Last of the Mohicans for me. *

  8812. #8812cfherrman2024-10-24 18:41

    I'm usually driving, a couple hours in a extended cab will give you better ideas. I've had guys pull up the blanket and sleep back there especially in the bench days

  8813. #8813Truck Shop2024-10-24 20:52

    I don't hate quad cabs, crew cabs--just don't care much for the drivers in most cases. If it's too big to park correctly---probably need to learn how or get a smaller ride. * But there just not big enough yet---gvw needs to be 65,000--no 80,000. * Enough of merica's love fest with diesel quad cab crap. * Some more old class eights.

  8814. #8814Truck Shop2024-10-24 21:18

    Here--right here, lots of room for golf clubs and all that kind of stuff. The little wifey will just love cruising the city streets with all the soccer kids in the back. Great for all the vacation trips and will double duty for the contractor biz. And just look at that patine'r. And it will take up four parking spots and just shove the other cars to the side. *

  8815. #8815cfherrman2024-10-24 21:51

    I'm probably getting a excursion for family hauling on trips, need more room

  8816. #8816Welder Dave2024-10-24 22:51

    I don't think anybody hates quad/crew cabs. I just think if you rarely carry passengers they're not the most practical. Definitely a bit of a keeping up with Jones type of deal. If you have a family and go camping pulling an RV and on other trips, then they make good sense.

  8817. #8817Dom2024-10-25 07:42

    The funny part is the excursion exterior dimensions are less than a new Chevy 1500 crew cab. Crazy when you think of it. Excursion is way bigger and more useful for a family, my point is just how big current trucks are. When I bought my 2017 Colorado crew cab, the dealers kept saying it was the same size as a 90's chev 1500. I like my Colorado,we have 3 car seats in the back, the box has a cap for stroller and all the gear, and the diesel gets over 30mpg all summer long. It's still small enough to go in under ground parking and navigating small parking lots. Also low so everyone can get in and out.

  8818. #8818cfherrman2024-10-25 08:52

    The excursion I'm going to build will be the ultimate family hauler for raid trips, think of the Griswold family trickster. I've found some 2wd versions around with them being gas, which I rather have the gas because parts should be locally stocked around the country, and they also kinda sit lower and are not lifted by po. I will be looking into adding air bags in but real air bags like on a truck with automatic ride height control and installing lower capacity leafs so you ride on air, and hopefully lower the truck as well for the kids. It will be a process.

  8819. #8819DMiller2024-10-25 18:46

    Old GI Deuce and Half running gear under that Corn Queen Cadillac!!

  8820. #8820Truck Shop2024-10-25 21:17

    You admire that, admit it--lol.

  8821. #8821Truck Shop2024-10-27 18:26

    Sold. *

  8822. #8822Truck Shop2024-10-30 21:51

    A truck that was a total pos, only a half a grunt from becoming a wet fart, other wise known as a **** stain. The edges of cab metal work especially the dash was like putting your hands into a blender. Sharp metal edges, the wiring, heating and AC system was a joke--freeze or fry, not much for insulation or sound deadening material. *

  8823. #8823Pops522024-10-30 22:03

    And orange/ black. Halloween truck?

  8824. #8824Pops522024-10-30 22:32

    Even this was way better. I know!

  8825. #8825Truck Shop2024-10-30 22:41

    Other than a stationary cab-those weren't bad trucks--BTW--the air filter on those was inside the cab under the passenger side of dash on most, a Farr.

  8826. #8826Pops522024-10-30 22:52

    I spent 3 years on one of these, our “yard horse”. At 17 years old I didn’t care. It was way cooler than those fords and gmc’s

  8827. #8827Truck Shop2024-10-31 17:36

    50's.

  8828. #8828BC Placer gold2024-10-31 18:56

    I do the same..

  8829. #8829Truck Shop2024-10-31 19:12

    In 1958--a 2 bedroom house was $8,900 a three bedroom $9,300. Gas 22 cents. In 1958 a new 924 KW cost roughly $12,500 depending. A new Brown 40' flat bed $3,700. In 1958 diesel was average price of 20 cents. The one on the right is a 48 and down the one on left 53/54 vintage by radiator shell. The 48 has no vent windows. *

  8830. #8830Truck Shop2024-10-31 20:47

    Both of those above are Cummins powered--note the Cummins Red Ball logo on front of hoods.

  8831. #8831DMiller2024-11-01 04:03

    Semaphore TS on left unit? Early days were tough. Saw a J series Cummins the other day, 1956 IH guy trying to restore, not having any luck finding parts for that and was asking me if knew any sources!! Could only say NO.

  8832. #8832Truck Shop2024-11-01 09:48

    I know of a complete J six cylinder---but definitely not for sale, It really isn't a collector item. A good visit to the shear would remove any desire. Gaskets are non excitant, could have them made but what's the point. * Be much more fun to see it snipped. ---as that remark garners boos from the gallery.

  8833. #8833Truck Shop2024-11-01 09:53

    SNIP It- SNIP it Good, SNIP it Into Shape. *

  8834. #8834Truck Shop2024-11-01 13:10

    Would have left for Portland at about 12 last night but I told them this tow would make no difference. Truck had a radiator issue and changed about a week ago. Thursday it made the Freightliner shop in Portland it's home for a few days. Bolts to trans oil cooler didn't get tightened or installed correctly--holds 14 quarts--had one quart in it. Roasted. So this time around Freightliner is able to start on it this Friday morning, have a DT12 AMT on hand plus other sundries to repair it----$34,000. Then the battle with the independent starts that replaced the radiator. This time around I told them yesterday that it wasn't worth the trip---nothing gained.

  8835. #8835Truck Shop2024-11-01 13:46

    With a 750 H.

  8836. #8836Pops522024-11-01 15:55

    Did you take it home yet?

  8837. #8837Truck Shop2024-11-01 16:45

    No the only thing I allow around the property is the property it's self, I'm the only one for blocks with only one vehicle parked in view.

  8838. #8838Truck Shop2024-11-01 19:00

    1910 T, start of the first truckers. *

  8839. #8839Truck Shop2024-11-01 19:57

    Remember this? And rarely made a mistake. *

  8840. #8840DMiller2024-11-01 19:59

    Also rarely passed Double Digits before decimal.

  8841. #8841Truck Shop2024-11-01 20:01

    That depended on the size of the catholic family---had several around us with a dozen kids.

  8842. #884295zIV2024-11-01 20:14

    Been there, called for that. Two separate time, exactly 3 years apart. Had a speedswing slip off the side of track one day. Then had a grapple truck decide it was tired and it laid down beside the track. I don’t have any photos of it being stood up as I took those with my DSLR, and don’t have them now.

  8843. #8843mekanik2024-11-01 20:22

    I met a senior citizen the was a cash register mechanic. He raised a family and made a good living repairing and maintaining them.

  8844. #8844DMiller2024-11-02 08:17

    Something positive about repairable old mechanical systems. Power was down here during last little storm, us Old Farts at the sand plant remembered how to Hand Write delivery tickets scale has a battery backup. Wife went to grocer to get a few things and power dropped, no one knew how to price objects as the Code Readers were down. Could not sell anything.

  8845. #884556wrench2024-11-02 09:31

    About 5 yrs ago i ordered a few oil filters from the cummins dealer in Grande Prairie on a promo- they didn’t have them in stock. So, about 2 weeks later i stopped to pick them up. ‘Ya they’re here but i can’t let you have them- our computer system is down- we can’t even look up parts’. ***? So i said i’d get them the next time i was in town. About 2 weeks later i stopped to pick them up and as he handed me the invoice i noticed the full price. I said i ordered them on the promo. He said ‘that was last month, promo is over.’ Then i got disgruntled. I told him i tried to pick them up when their system was down. I live an hour and a half away and this was first trip back to GP. How is this my fault? Then he got kind of snotty. Then i really got mad, causing another customer to take notice as well as anyone else in earshot including the service desk. Finally he grudgingly gave me the promo price and i departed. ***? What a crappy attitude for a partsman dealing with the public and this was a guy about 55. I noticed the next time i was there, he wasn’t at the parts counter. That dealer had a high turnover in parts people for a couple years

  8846. #8846mekanik2024-11-02 10:12

    Some places the people working the parts counter get a bonus at the end of every month based on their individual parts sales. He probably lost 5 cents off his bonus giving you the discount.

  8847. #8847Truck Shop2024-11-02 10:38

    What? you mean to tell me they couldn't whip out their trusty pocket computer the cell phone? The gadget that cures all problems. * People want to go back to the 50's, that's a common thought among 50%. Well lets go back, all the way back. No electronic stuff period, everything manual. No lithium powered tools, no mig/tig welders, no nothing created after 1959. * I don't know maybe all the way back to the teens---so burlap can make a return for use as toilet paper. We need that, that needs to return, when it gets clogged up, reuse it by beating it on a fence post just like the good ole days.

  8848. #8848petepilot2024-11-02 22:40

    I I've used sears catalogs but never burlap

  8849. #8849Truck Shop2024-11-02 22:44

    My dad was from Arkansas--born in Morrilton--1916 --they would use burlap when they had it. *

  8850. #8850petepilot2024-11-02 22:49

    Ever hear the story about corn cobs ? Why we kept both brown and white in the out house

  8851. #8851Welder Dave2024-11-03 02:03

    That's similar to warranty work I needed on my F150. Went in for the scheduled service agreement well within the warranty period and they said the valve covers and oil pan were leaking. They said they'd have to order the parts in. This was just before covid and in the mean time the gov't. advised everyone to stay home unless it was absolutely necessary to go out. A couple month's later they said people could go out but had to wear masks. I booked my truck in and they said it's past warranty. They would fix the valve covers but not the bigger job of the oil pan. ***, they knew about the problem before the warranty expired. It was a big hassle and didn't help that the service manager was on holidays. The stupid woman filling in said if Ford said no there's nothing they could do. Service manager came back and got it approved but even Ford were a-holes. They said they had a formula to calculate my mileage and I had 112,000kms. I had about 101,000 only because the gov't. advised to stay home. The truck had 98xxx when they discovered the leaks. The idiot woman tried to act like she had something to with getting it covered under warranty. She was worse than useless. What I heard is dealers don't like doing warranty work because they don't get paid the full shop rate they would get for regular repairs.

  8852. #8852DMiller2024-11-03 07:39

    Used Cobs, Yellow pages, Catalog pages even old pieces of rags when NOTHING else was available. Worst was Straw out of the barn during winter as even grass or leaves was NA. Wash hands OFTEN!! Prayer for No More Biscuits and Gravy never accepted. Back to OP,

  8853. #8853Truck Shop2024-11-03 08:02

    Back to OP--awh nah---we've got a childish/ immature crap blog going here, anything to cause the righteous lurkers of the day to shake their head. Which brings about the logged in lurkers, many come on here just nosing around.

  8854. #8854stinky642024-11-03 10:42

    As long as we're poopin', years back middle of summer, relaxing and drinking hard cider at popular swimming hole, good friend felt the need and snuck away from the crowd. No paper so used some foliage to do the deed. Poor ba$tard didn't know what poison ivy looked like and yep from the top of the crack to the back of the sack including the inside of both thighs was festered and oozing. To top it off guy was a city driver and bounced around on that mess for two days before taking some vacation. Yikes.

  8855. #8855Truck Shop2024-11-03 12:13

    Stinging Nettle-----that's the plant to make things really red. I know someone that made the bad choice.

  8856. #8856Truck Shop2024-11-03 17:39

    A Corrbit. *

  8857. #8857Truck Shop2024-11-03 19:32

    1969. *

  8858. #8858Truck Shop2024-11-03 20:22

    1930 Model A Montana mail car----steered by brakes. Wintertime travel. *

  8859. #8859Truck Shop2024-11-04 08:06

    On a scale of 1 to 10---the advise given the last seven days by the {sage courageous voices of reason} on HEF rates a mere 5. just a little something for the righteous lurkers.

  8860. #8860Acoals2024-11-04 12:14

    At least we know what happens if you wipe with poison ivy . . .

  8861. #8861Truck Shop2024-11-04 12:28

    If one has never experienced the wrath of nettle--little/tiny stinging barbs that really like tender skin, used as *** wipe because it has large leaves can be rather painful because of the friction of *** cheeks grinding it in even more--every step just adds to the fire. *

  8862. #8862Truck Shop2024-11-04 18:50
  8863. #8863Truck Shop2024-11-04 18:57

    Check point for carrying proper amount of chains--I-84 Cabbage. *

  8864. #8864Truck Shop2024-11-04 19:29

    1930 Bentley Speed Six Blackhawk. *

  8865. #8865MarcusZ19672024-11-04 20:38

    I hated those years of hood latches.

  8866. #8866Truck Shop2024-11-04 21:22

    Well we know what to get you for Xmas, lol

  8867. #8867MarcusZ19672024-11-04 21:25

    yay??

  8868. #8868Shimmy12024-11-04 23:21

    Are there really any great external hood latches? In my experience as a Ford guy and my whole family being Ford also, I can't think of any year being that great, GM definitely was better. No idea about Dodge, never owned one and never will.

  8869. #8869MarcusZ19672024-11-05 05:44

    Once they removed that scalping hook and replaced it with a simple hoop, I didn't have any problem.

  8870. #8870Truck Shop2024-11-05 09:01

    I never had issues with my 84 Dodge---it really was a pretty good truck. *

  8871. #8871Truck Shop2024-11-05 09:05

    It's final engine was a 1985 factory roller cam 318 stroked to 390. With a 727 I built with a dash #2 shift kit/Kolean clutches and big block 12" low stall converter and limited slip.

  8872. #8872MarcusZ19672024-11-05 10:26

    Sharp truck there TS! I never had any real trouble with any brand as long as it ran and drove good.

  8873. #8873mowingman2024-11-05 13:46

    I have been looking for one of those older 4x4 Dodge pickups, but nice ones are pretty hard to find, or too expensive. Years ago, I restored a 58 Dodge W100 Power Giant. Later I did a 69, W200 Power Wagon. Those were tough old trucks. I still like the older 4x4 Dodge trucks

  8874. #8874Truck Shop2024-11-05 13:53

    1929 Bugatti Type 41 Royale--only seven built, six still exist, 12.7 liter. *

  8875. #8875Truck Shop2024-11-05 13:55

    Biggest issue for any 80's and down Dodge pickups--finding electrical parts.

  8876. #8876NikkiM2024-11-05 14:26

    A grandfather of mine, mom's side was a trucker and he told me so many stories back then when he was on the road.He loved the older Mack Trucks from the 1950s and 1960s.Three were the B models, LT and H-63. Every time I see one, reminds of the stories he told.I remember him taking me on a ride in a 1953 LT when I was about 8 years old

  8877. #8877DMiller2024-11-05 16:33

    LT, LJ were some of my Favorite style Bulldogs.

  8878. #8878Truck Shop2024-11-05 20:52

    Year 1965--a little to much nitro mix---stroked 331 Chrysler Hemi. common back then. *

  8879. #8879Truck Shop2024-11-05 21:35

    In the photo above take note of the technology back then----Note the piston skirt length, long skirts. By the time the late 70's rolled around internals were changing, now days a stroker piston skirt is only about 1/3 the length of those with very narrow gapless rings. And looking close those possibly are nothing more than cast pistons, the rods appear to be reworked stock rods. The piston pin was relocated to make a stroker--but money in those days was tight and getting forged didn't always happen.

  8880. #8880Truck Shop2024-11-05 21:45

    I remember these--Dunn & Reath exploding & oil igniting, & Daddy Don G and the famous Wynns Charger clutch explosion that took half his right foot and led to rear engine rails. *

  8881. #8881Truck Shop2024-11-05 21:56

    I remember one night at Renegade raceway--The Haltered Altered was there, during his last qualifying run it went straight up. Blower, both heads, pipes anything above the block. Parts and pieces is all was left. At S.I.R. Seattle, I watched a pro-street lose the damper on a BBC, it ran around under the hood tearing the **** out of everything including the carb, which caught fire, ended in a charred mess.

  8882. #8882Truck Shop2024-11-06 00:19

    Notice the high tech weight fastened to front axle with early day race tape on the top photo Dunn & Reath.

  8883. #8883DMiller2024-11-06 06:07

    Watched similar carnage at Gateway International outside Granite City IL Rails changed a lot from front to rear mounts, longer, hp OFF the charts. Can still remember then they were eating 8.5-9 gallons of Nitro Methane in the 1/4, tank would be dry not tenths of seconds past the finish line.

  8884. #8884Old Doug2024-11-06 07:28

    Coming from some one that got hurt in a motor sports deal I wish every motor sports could be safer . But it would probably hurt attendance ?

  8885. #8885Truck Shop2024-11-06 09:20

    And the carnage goes on today--it's just part of racing. The thing is racing is responsible for many of the everyday features of the everyday passenger car. Most all engine modifications for fuel mileage came from guys like Isky, Edlebrock & Mondello because of their achievements in induction and airflow.

  8886. #8886Truck Shop2024-11-06 17:16

    Did I mention I hate forklifts--I spent the day replacing brake masters/inching activator. The only good thing is easy to bleed. The right hand master is a turd to remove, I should have sent it to Vetech---he likes odd crap. 1974 Y55 like this one below. *

  8887. #8887DMiller2024-11-06 17:41

    Always despised fork trucks, no room, everything buried alive and generally filthy.

  8888. #8888Truck Shop2024-11-06 17:43

    It's a item that when the first set of tires need replacing----just replace with a brand new lift.

  8889. #8889DMiller2024-11-06 17:44

    Excellent consideration!! Tires on these no better.

  8890. #8890MarcusZ19672024-11-06 18:09

    Try a old Towmotor..... But, all of them are a barrel of fun....

  8891. #8891Truck Shop2024-11-06 18:19

    I worked in two shops that had Towmotors-towturds. One shop had old navy surplus 8K Gerlinger--stinkfinger. This wasn't really the lifts fault but it did help because it lurched with a complete 1693 with retarder & trans hanging. The boss was moving it on a very slight incline, it swung and chain broke. Busted the retarder oil pan, oil cooler, turbo and a few other items as it landed on a rear axle housing and concrete. I asked him if he wanted a heavier chain--Nope this is just fine.

  8892. #8892Truck Shop2024-11-06 19:59

    1951 Stude. *

  8893. #8893Truck Shop2024-11-06 20:29

    I forgot to mention, it got new tires on Tuesday, lift cylinder will be rebuilt in Dec. Price of a new/used was stupid for a 6K lb lift, bad thing is no side shift. Weren't going to fix it--just let it go but his wheel line sprinkler business came along. Stock piling stuff in yard.

  8894. #8894bccat2024-11-07 01:42

    As a millwright I worked on a lot of different makes of forklifts, had 4 like the one you are working on , Clark were the best forklifts we had, I kept them in good condition, never had any major problems, no engines, transaxles etc. just mast brgs, chains & brakes.Nice machines to operate, ya things are tight to work on, Brakes were a pain, still got 2 tiny brake bleeder screws in my toolbox, been there 30 yrs. Ours were propane powered which made a difference , 2004 was the last time I worked on them when the company was sold. All the spare parts were thrown in the scrap were thrown in the scrap

  8895. #8895Truck Shop2024-11-07 04:42

    This one is propane---it runs good and has allot of lift power 5,500 by tag. It's had it's share of abuse.

  8896. #8896Old Doug2024-11-07 06:43

    I have a Clark that is missing its cylinder . I probably should just scrap it but I think once in a while I will find one and fix it.

  8897. #8897Dug Overburden2024-11-07 15:43

    Mack Western

  8898. #8898Truck Shop2024-11-07 21:48
  8899. #8899Truck Shop2024-11-07 21:50

    Getting tired of the career and what went with it, finding other things to do. Will slowly move on.

  8900. #8900Pops522024-11-07 23:03

    I took up model railroading, and haven’t used my 3/4” drive impact wrench or sockets since…….

  8901. #8901DMiller2024-11-08 05:14

    As the Clay and Sand or Rock hauls dribble away and the shop no longer needs me, I will continue to run Old Blue awhile. Be my last attachment to HD Trucks, getting to a point body cannot handle the heavy or awkward work as well technology is advancing away from my capabilities faster than I can learn. The day will come, tools sold off, shop cluttered with serious work will empty, the HD Roadie will drift to a new owner and I too may delve into smaller softer easier to hand handle indoor hobbies. Happens to Most all us old knuckle draggers.

  8902. #8902Old Doug2024-11-08 06:32

    I would like to and told myself before if I get away from truck repair as a job I don't want to go back but it hasn't worked out yet or I haven't tried hard enough yet.

  8903. #8903DMiller2024-11-08 06:54

    LT Hood damn near as long as your B series TS

  8904. #8904Truck Shop2024-11-10 05:20

    I find a forum that selectively edits certain posts very interesting.

  8905. #8905Shimmy12024-11-10 10:22

    Can't wait to hear the details on this.

  8906. #8906ps66x42024-11-10 11:12

    Me too

  8907. #8907Truck Shop2024-11-10 17:58

    Your going to be waiting a long time.

  8908. #8908ps66x42024-11-10 17:59

    Oh well

  8909. #8909Truck Shop2024-11-10 18:08
  8910. #8910Truck Shop2024-11-10 21:01
  8911. #8911CM19952024-11-11 09:37

    Are you referring to HEF? If so which posts? There is a record of every edit made to a post either by a member or a Mod. Edited posts have a History button that will show every iteration of that post from the original and all edits, either by the poster or Mod.

  8912. #8912Truck Shop2024-11-11 09:45

    Nope, just talking out loud, didn't say anything good or bad. funny, never a mod has visited this thread to post----must be from mice in attic.

  8913. #8913CM19952024-11-11 09:59

    I visit this thread from time to time. Have done so for years. For the record - Every post on HEF that has been edited has a history that any Mod can see.

  8914. #8914Truck Shop2024-11-11 12:35

    Well good, my miss spelling edits are kept track of. At 8,915 that's allot posts and this one has another edit to add.

  8915. #8915Truck Shop2024-11-11 21:13

    Cover up that petty boner, thread. *

  8916. #8916Truck Shop2024-11-12 05:58

    Too funny---check the like button reviews----it reminds me of a cop pulling someone over then the up to five support drive buys while mumbling on their lapel mic.

  8917. #8917Truck Shop2024-11-12 06:17
  8918. #8918Truck Shop2024-11-12 06:20

    Move some suspender loads down here, requires a hickory shirt.

  8919. #8919Truck Shop2024-11-12 20:03
  8920. #8920Truck Shop2024-11-12 21:11

    Two perfect trucks, eligible for the scrap yard snip. Bagged out. *

  8921. #8921Truck Shop2024-11-12 22:33
  8922. #8922Truck Shop2024-11-13 14:36

    Towing fails--. *

  8923. #8923Truck Shop2024-11-13 14:38
  8924. #8924Truck Shop2024-11-13 14:42
  8925. #8925Camshawn2024-11-13 21:42

    I believe that last one was part of a movie…..

  8926. #8926Truck Shop2024-11-13 21:52

    Correct. I believe it is special effects.

  8927. #8927Truck Shop2024-11-14 02:45

    Damn my------haha button has to refill should take about 5 minutes.

  8928. #8928Truck Shop2024-11-14 09:09

    My wife who's a mod on two FB pages read it shook her head walked away saying {you hang with some real a$$holes}, a post that was a unwarranted attack about me. It was edited by mod before I saw it and left to hang. I replied as I should have then was called a jack ***. post 66. *

  8929. #8929CM19952024-11-14 19:32

    What are you referring to? Post 66 in this thread?

  8930. #8930Truck Shop2024-11-14 21:03

    I will get back sometime later on, I spent 11 hours at the hospital today for a colonoscopy that went terribly wrong, I'm home bleeding is under control and basically stopped. But I'm real tired.

  8931. #8931Shimmy12024-11-15 00:37

    The one you slammed shut last summer.

  8932. #8932ps66x42024-11-15 06:53

    That's some not welcome news. Are you feeling better today?

  8933. #8933CM19952024-11-15 10:40

    If it's the one I am thinking of it's going to stay closed.

  8934. #8934crane operator2024-11-18 17:04

    Best wishes for recovering, that sounds terrible.

  8935. #8935Oxbow2024-11-18 19:19

    Hey @Truck Shop , we don't always get along well, but I haven't seen you on here since your ordeal at the hospital the other day and I am hoping you are doing ok.

  8936. #8936Pops522024-11-18 19:56

    What he said……..

  8937. #8937Truck Shop2024-11-25 19:28

    1947

  8938. #8938mowingman2024-11-25 19:29

    Hey TS, glad to see you back.

  8939. #8939Acoals2024-11-25 19:46

    Yes, this place is a little weird without TS . . .

  8940. #8940Pops522024-11-25 21:20

    He’s alive!

  8941. #8941petepilot2024-11-26 17:05

    Was wondering.all cool now

  8942. #8942Truck Shop2024-11-28 10:30

    This 4964 causes confusion. Built in 1968 in Kelowna BC, actually a 1967. It is a rather rare 120" BBC, not many of these small nose built with long hood. Roadway had some. But this causes argument because it is thought all 4964's were Western Star's starting in 1967, not true. The first ones out the gate had data plates listing only {White} along with 4964 & built in BC. Those were badged White 4000's, the data plates carried no White Western Star etching. The hood change came in 1970 to a wider style. And my info comes from a veteran -------- White, White Western Star parts counter man who worked those years starting 1965 up. * Below a 1968 White 4000 built in BC listed as a 4964. It's for sale $7.500.---Rare truck. *

  8943. #8943DMiller2024-11-28 15:16

    Not seen many with a Farr Dynacell air cleaner either, loads of aluminum on that one

  8944. #8944Truck Shop2024-11-28 17:23

    It's a very light truck---it would be pushing it as it sits to weigh 15,000. Even with the 4 speed auxiliary tied to a RTOO {double overdrive}13 spd. Beam/biscuit Hendrickson on SQHD's and power steering. Even with 4.33 or 4.56 the top speed is about 85. Small Cam 350, steel frame. And that is a original aluminum bumper.

  8945. #8945DMiller2024-11-28 17:40

    Old Logger, seen its share of beatings but still looks healthy. Rack is the giveaway. Would love to have it, simplistic, tidy basics, yet would be another time project I do no longer have that time to give up.

  8946. #8946Truck Shop2024-11-28 17:49

    Despite most----White built a very tough truck back in those years. Plus a well laid out dash with good electrical. This truck would rival any Pete or KW built in those years. {Time?} we are all just one step away from the grave. *

  8947. #8947DMiller2024-11-28 20:02

    Nice to see it in its prime.

  8948. #8948Truck Shop2024-11-28 21:29

    It really should be kept as a collector piece as a logger, only for the fact there are very few left. Otherwise it's just another old truck.

  8949. #8949DMiller2024-11-29 05:13

    As intact and pretty well clean as it is, best thought is resurrect the bunks and assemble as a Memory Logger. Deserves recognition for time served and survived.

  8950. #8950Truck Shop2024-11-30 21:44

    1935 Auburn 852---except it's not--a reproduction.

  8951. #8951Truck Shop2024-11-30 21:49
  8952. #8952stinky642024-12-01 11:14

    Not many left on that list. Sadly.

  8953. #8953DMiller2024-12-01 11:15

    My immediate super in 77 at Feld Rental worked for Spector in Carlinville IL

  8954. #8954stinky642024-12-01 11:20

    Probably better than 1/2 that list had terminals in Buffalo/Tonawanda when I was a little shaver.

  8955. #8955Truck Shop2024-12-01 13:18

    And why do you suppose that is?

  8956. #8956RedTruck11002024-12-01 16:07

    Hayes Clipper, Canadian Pacific Merchandise Service.

  8957. #8957Truck Shop2024-12-01 17:22

    This goes with post 8,952, It's just info that goes with that post is all it is. And does not require or need other opinions. * How a little-known 1980 law slashed pay for millions of truck drivers and created big-box retail as we know it Online shopping and big-box retail likely wouldn't exist today without the deregulation of the trucking industry 40 years ago this month. www.businessinsider.com

  8958. #8958mks2024-12-01 18:43

    My father worked for number 91 on that list. Would be interesting to share his experience with you for perspective. But not here.

  8959. #8959Shimmy12024-12-01 19:06

    How a little-known 1980 law slashed pay for millions of truck drivers and created big-box retail as we know it Online shopping and big-box retail likely wouldn't exist today without the deregulation of the trucking industry 40 years ago this month. www.businessinsider.com RA, RA, RA, GO UNIONS.

  8960. #8960Truck Shop2024-12-01 19:29

    666.

  8961. #8961Truck Shop2024-12-01 19:45

    Very early coaster with three man cab, pre 50. *

  8962. #8962Truck Shop2024-12-02 22:04

    Tornadostream---was built some years ago. *

  8963. #8963Truck Shop2024-12-03 22:15

    A----- Henrybilt. *

  8964. #8964Mike Van2024-12-04 08:40

    This one just came up on FB mkt - A 1961 Reo

  8965. #8965Truck Shop2024-12-04 18:46

    One labeled with wrong year on another page {as a 1945},,It has vent windows and tall grille, can't be 45, 1949 up. *

  8966. #8966mowingman2024-12-04 19:35

    A 1957 Diamond T, for sale in our area. I believe it is listed for about $27,000.

  8967. #8967Truck Shop2024-12-04 20:56

    Kind of high for that model with single axle.

  8968. #8968Truck Shop2024-12-04 22:06

    1932 Pierce Arrow, HA Cummins with Twin Disc Injection Pump and a open unloader valve early day Westinghouse compressor. *

  8969. #8969Shimmy12024-12-04 23:04

    I wonder if this was a running engine when put on display? I honestly would like to see and hear one of these.

  8970. #8970DMiller2024-12-05 04:29

    As I started my career path got to R&R a Twin disc pump in a crane in eastern KS, took a small chain fall and Three of us to wrestle the Sorry Bustard out. Cummins KC went thru it and did as much as they could where the engine ran relatively well, asked us to NOT ever bring another one in. Same three of us rehung that Gawd Awful mechanism, AFAIK that crane was used until the 90s and was scrapped. Did not sound much if at all different than a 220 Natural Aspirate, groaned more than rattled or snapped on throttle response.

  8971. #8971Truck Shop2024-12-05 09:45

    I think there is only two places that can rebuild a twin disc pump. And yeah it's a fairly intricate set of internals. I've looked for a Cummins rebuild book that only covered those pumps, never found one.

  8972. #8972Vetech632024-12-05 12:53

    Oh lord, how did I get into a truck thread?

  8973. #8973Pops522024-12-05 13:22

    Maybe a shorter rope to speed things up?

  8974. #8974Truck Shop2024-12-05 13:38

    Yeah your way out of bounds--notice I don't go any where near construction equipment. I may stray to see what's going on with a Mighty Toro Dingo once in a while. But really all that's needed is a orange Home Depot bucket, orange extension cord and a rafter.

  8975. #8975DMiller2024-12-05 18:07

    Not a memory but a sighting. Could not raise driver on radio. Uriah Company out of Decatur AL. Still plodding along in Interstate Commerce. Maybe TS can shed light on Model and age. Mirror was only Front shot of the old Pete. Really shallow bunk, may not of even had one but a Shelf.

  8976. #8976Truck Shop2024-12-05 18:37

    86" cab Pete 362 about a early/mid 90's. Last year for a 362 was 2005, mainly because of emission standards was Pete's reason.

  8977. #8977Truck Shop2024-12-05 18:42

    This 1974 Pete 352 with trailer for 5K, 350 Cummins, 10 spd with center point steering. The aluminum trailer could be cut for scrap and cover some of the cost.. *

  8978. #8978Truck Shop2024-12-05 18:45

    And I know of a 1980 K100 KW COE 84" cab same color, 350 A model Cat, 10 spd steel frame on 8 bag probably could be had for $2,500.

  8979. #8979Truck Shop2024-12-05 19:14

    This one is a 1980 W900 with a BCIII and 13spd, center point. Aluminum frame is broke real bad at back of cab drivers side. Were asking a unbelievable 8K no bites so dropped it to 5K and still no bites. I was asked to make a offer {When it hit's $2,500 maybe I told them}. The hood needs fiberglass repair on left fender, the cab is good and radiator, The grille and surrounds are real good. But the steer axle, rear suspension and frame are nothing but junk. * The thing to do would be gut the cabs from both--900 and K100, remove engines. Sell the BCIII as is for $2,200. Scrap the W900 aluminum frame, and axles. Move the front frame horns and crossmembers to the K100 frame along with cab mounts, motor mounts, radiator, and all other parts pieces, set the A model back in-place. Install W900 cab & hood. The fuel tanks on the K100 are real good condition. And I can come up with a Rockwell 931 standard steer axle plus a power steering mount/spring hanger plus steering box for little to nothing. Not something that would generate much money but would retrieve what's in it and something to do, like I need it. *

  8980. #8980Truck Shop2024-12-05 19:22

    Couple of Great Horned owls hanging out down the street near the creek. *

  8981. #8981RedTruck11002024-12-06 14:32

    Inter-City Express, Nanaimo, B.C. 1975. My dad's '74 International pickup on the right, we still have it.

  8982. #8982ps66x42024-12-06 18:51

    I like those pickups wish I had one

  8983. #8983RedTruck11002024-12-06 18:59

    This is another one that I have that is almost an identical twin to my dad's old truck. It has a 392 V8, Deluxe Interior and an 8,200LB GVW. My dad's truck has a 345 V8 with Custom Interior and a 7,500 GVW.

  8984. #8984renovator2024-12-06 19:57

    In the late 70s I drove an International 1700 (Loadstar, I think) with a 5th wheel. It had a 392, 5 speed tranny and two speed rear end. We worked the stuffing out of that thing. I hauled both a 580 and 680 Case backhoe to Colorado on a lowboy once. It never used a drop of oil. Those tailpipes were always white and clean as could be. The only problem it had was a tendency to blow exhaust gaskets. That was a sweet, hard working little truck.

  8985. #8985Shimmy12024-12-06 20:06

    Jeez, I can hear that Detroit in that old Jimmy from here......

  8986. #8986Truck Shop2024-12-06 20:23

    1959 with Napco conversion. *

  8987. #8987mowingman2024-12-06 21:43

    Those 4x4 Studebaker pickups are VERY rare. That is a nice one.

  8988. #8988Truck Shop2024-12-06 21:54

    I just happen to know where one is setting, exact year only typical faded red. Setting in a privet trash dump hog waller about 40 miles north, been there for some time and probably for allot longer time too.

  8989. #8989Truck Shop2024-12-06 22:03

    30 some years ago I helped a friend with his 1960 like the one below. It was already a 4x4, removed the straight six and 4 spd. I built a 351 Cleveland with a shift kitted C6 & 205 transfer case. Changed the gearing to 3.25 for highway speed. He painted it a light yellow & white. *

  8990. #8990Acoals2024-12-07 10:00

    I know where two more are, also red/orange . . .

  8991. #8991Truck Shop2024-12-07 10:48

    Stude-ies were popular in Wisconsin, Wisconsin should be pronounced as if stepping on a duck.

  8992. #8992DMiller2024-12-07 12:55

    Kinda like Minnie Soda!!

  8993. #8993Truck Shop2024-12-07 21:47

    A rather odd never seen GMC from the early 50's. *

  8994. #8994JaredV2024-12-08 12:03

    Can't say I'm disappointed it never made it into production. But then, I don't think any of the comparable trucks are much to look at, either.

  8995. #8995DMiller2024-12-08 12:28

    Even more Butt Fugly than the original Low Cab Forwards of the 60s, T series just as bad as Ford or Chrysler series ‘Curbsides’

  8996. #8996Truck Shop2024-12-08 16:40

    The thing is even GMC aficionados in many cases have never seen or even knew GMC built a cab forward like this.

  8997. #8997Truck Shop2024-12-08 20:40

    Year 1975--factory graphics for your Henrybilt. *

  8998. #8998stinky642024-12-09 09:18

    What were those little blue and orange turd wagons Roadway ran for city peddle years ago? Fords?

  8999. #899956wrench2024-12-09 10:37

    At the time, i never appreciated how easy the Ford Louisville trucks were to work on compared to what there is now

  9000. #9000Truck Shop2024-12-09 11:18

    Anything with rear motor mounts on the transmission bell is a {Turd} including Volvo/GMC, Mack plus others.

  9001. #9001DMiller2024-12-09 18:37

    C800s and 8000s from Ford

  9002. #9002DMiller2024-12-09 18:39

    Corn Queen Fleetstars with Cummins installed at a 10 degree angle, Turds.

  9003. #9003Truck Shop2024-12-09 18:49

    Dave our list of tractors/trucks we deem as Turds is half of what contractors own, because those are cheap to be had. Fleets were the primary buyers of the Odd Balls, plus powered by a 238 with a 7 speed.. For years when county/state orders came in it was common thing for the bottom rung truck manufactures to clean the warehouse shelves. If it was odd it could found in a state/county rig.

  9004. #9004DMiller2024-12-10 03:50

    That is a fact, and remains today as the state/county/city auctions prove. Many of the junk I fought with in a previous life were just that.

  9005. #9005Truck Shop2024-12-10 08:32

    Oh no---you're still in the same life trapped, trapped like a rat, just like the rest of us. Getting out of the fart sack wondering each day what mechanical nightmare lay in wait. And the trouble is------once a person spends much of their life repairing all types of mechanical gadgets----they can't stop, they can't help but look for more mechanical crap to repair to take place of the last days of doldrums. They all say they have plenty to do, plenty of things to stay busy with----problem is for most everything they see as entertainment----costs allot of money. A old guy knows when he is in deep and starts thinking about repairing rototillers & garbage like that. I know a guy that just retired, had a business, now traveling the world-------he hasn't been home but once this past year. I told him--you better hurry and see everything you might die tomorrow, then there's the possibility you'll live another 25 and be looking to travel---you already went there--no need to go back. * This old truck *****, and that's just what it is old ***** is really great armchair entertainment. In the mornings I stop by a friends towing business to see what great calamities took place during the night. Three young guys Bobby 35, Cole 27 & Patrick 23 all with skulls full of things that go around. All just wishing they had all the wheeled toys we had as boomers, { yup boys I saw on the news this morning, Cat's building a special excavator type snip that can snip three GTO's and a W990A model long hood all in one bite!}

  9006. #9006Truck Shop2024-12-10 15:45

    Ah nothing like a good snipping in the afternoon. *

  9007. #9007Truck Shop2024-12-10 22:04

    1959.

  9008. #9008Truck Shop2024-12-10 22:05
  9009. #9009Truck Shop2024-12-11 05:10

    What's really unique/special---overload of the day---people posting photos of all kinds of derelict thinking when it comes vehicles-----then set at the keyboard and brag about the overload they committed. There just isn't enough DOT prowling country 24/7.

  9010. #9010Old Doug2024-12-11 07:46

    If you want to see some bad stuff come spend a day at the gas station place I work out of. Its next to the biggest Amish/Mennonite settlement in Mo . They buy trucks and hire drivers to haul them and there construction stuff . If a dot set up on that lot they would get very tiered of writing out tickets. Yes I have hauled and done stuff I shouldn't . But I try to drive and act accordingly . If at one of these times I did get stopped I won't like it but I will not deny that I deserve a ticket.

  9011. #9011Truck Shop2024-12-12 21:36

    She's making oil, had a overhaul at Cat 20,000 miles ago and parked for the last 21 years. A model 350 hp with jakes and a 10 spd, 3.90 ratio SQ100's on 8 bag. Full of yellow jacket nests and mouse ****. Painted a mustard yellow. More than likely a fuel crossover line in rocker housing leaking-{rubbed on jake housing or slight crack}. Bought it for $1,700 either part it out or putter with it. But will at least repair fuel in oil issue. Just like the one below except mustard yellow and unpainted aluminum tanks, it's really in straight shape plus I have another available to rob parts off of. It's a 1980 K100. *

  9012. #9012petepilot2024-12-12 21:51

    Any visible break up under the cab

  9013. #9013Truck Shop2024-12-12 22:11

    None, if it were a Freightliner I wouldn't have touched it.

  9014. #9014petepilot2024-12-12 22:18

    If it looks close to the pic.except for color the rest of it will clean up . Did you see my post in bc overhaul?

  9015. #9015Truck Shop2024-12-12 22:21

    I cleaned out every Cummins leftover I had, I'm setting with zero cummins parts. Those crossovers should be findable back there.

  9016. #9016petepilot2024-12-12 22:23

    More of a question than post

  9017. #9017petepilot2024-12-12 22:25

    So far I'm coming up blank

  9018. #9018Truck Shop2024-12-12 22:31

    The crossover part number is #3018686 for a BCIII. I know Hagerman Umatilla has several used.

  9019. #9019DMiller2024-12-13 04:38

    Sweet save. My 79 was a twin in Blue to the red and white photo except tanks were plain, had RW Centerpoint steer and that damnable 8v92 on a deep reduction 15. Torsion Ride SUCKED. Being 8bag likely all the dash screws are still in it that had broken out in mine.

  9020. #9020Truck Shop2024-12-13 05:13

    I've got someone that will give me $2,300 for it as it sits now.

  9021. #9021Vetech632024-12-13 07:59
  9022. #9022Truck Shop2024-12-13 10:55

    Are you trying to tell me that's you jumping in the haystack with LMM?

  9023. #9023Vetech632024-12-13 11:06

    Dam, I thought you were coming with me.

  9024. #9024RedTruck11002024-12-13 14:06

    I just heard about this International a few weeks ago, it belonged to Trav Rankin & Sons Contract Hauling (logging) here on Vancouver Island, B.C.. It is either a 1969 or 1970 Travelette (crew cab) 4x4 with Deluxe Exterior Trim.

  9025. #9025Truck Shop2024-12-13 16:26

    Not hardly---In the first place--I can't jump, to old, that jumping is for fart sacks 62 and under. Second place----I don't like hay, it's farm crap and I try to stay away from farm crap. I don't mind looking at farm crap just don't want to drive any farm crap, need bib overalls to do that. * Now what other silly ideas you got going that I can put a match to. * Funny thing is you got kshansen and mg2631 to follow you here to hit the like button. Neither one of those including you come down to the bottom of forum page to stop in, only rare occasions, although I like to hang around the members on line box and float over them seeing which ones drop in here then zoom away, allot of lurkers come to this thread. Then they float back up to the Yellow zone to confess their sins.

  9026. #9026Truck Shop2024-12-13 21:03
  9027. #9027Truck Shop2024-12-13 22:05

    Don't know what I ate today--but the farts sure stink tonight.

  9028. #9028petepilot2024-12-13 23:29

    Found 1 more place to look here if that don't work I'll call on hagerman

  9029. #9029RedTruck11002024-12-14 12:39

    Vandenborre Bros. Logging International Travelette. I read they logged up north then downsized in the 1970s in Armstrong, B.C..

  9030. #9030Truck Shop2024-12-14 15:38

    Ok---imagine painted maroon & dark gray solid no metallic. My friend Steve has a another carbon copy almost to get extra parts needed from for next to nothing. The one he has is a 1982 that had one of the first B models produced, and a rare/early rear cab airbag/air- ride. Plus it has a standard Rockwell 931 steer axle. Most of the interior/headliner is in good condition except for a few pieces I can get from the 82 cab for this 1980. Only reason I would make it go is there are just too many W900A's, B's, 359's and 379's. There are really no early Western Stars left and what is-is bagged out rotten. This 80 has a {A} model with about 20,000 on it since it was O/H'ed at Cat, piston/liners & rebuilt head. Yeah it needs some work but it's in relatively good condition. Plus it's close to what I drove years ago. *

  9031. #9031DMiller2024-12-14 15:45

    Damn if that does not look like has Centerpoint up front!! Clean lines, no big dents dings ripples, brings back a flood of old history memories here. Mine had a similar Gullwing on front.

  9032. #9032Truck Shop2024-12-14 15:46

    Painted with old school graphics like these. *

  9033. #9033DMiller2024-12-14 15:49

    No Roof mount so that is a fully functional Grilldenser. Really Like the colors.

  9034. #9034mks2024-12-14 15:57

    Centerpoint steering. Was this an attempt to make steering easier without a power assist system? I read something about vertical kingpins. I don’t recall my fathers comments about it.

  9035. #9035DMiller2024-12-14 16:03

    The Tell Tale is the Hub Cap Targets standing outside the Lug Stud height, and yes was a Poor Man's Just less than Power Steer, still took both hands and stand up in floor with heavy loads if doing yard maneuvers and realigning standing still. PS would be a MASSIVE Boon for that.

  9036. #9036DMiller2024-12-14 16:07

    The old Tricolor with Gold accent stripes is still an eye draw on these for me. Blue, Bronze or Black, Gold stripes and White or substitute Red for Blue.

  9037. #9037Truck Shop2024-12-14 16:23

    Center Point was good from about 30 mph up, it steered well at 60. But as Dave said it could be a real bear in tight docks. South San Francisco Fruit & Vegetable terminal was one place I can remember right off the top.

  9038. #9038Truck Shop2024-12-14 16:28

    I've got a standard axle to use--but finding a P/S box might be real hard. But it would never really see 12 on the steer so manual wouldn't be that bad, besides it's old school just like what I drove years ago. Hell the A/C doesn't even need to work for me. The only thing major I would do is add about 4' to the frame and make it a 210 WB from 176, would ride a ton better.

  9039. #9039Truck Shop2024-12-14 16:32

    One that looks quite similar to one I drove years ago that was also a 1980 with a 400 Cat. *

  9040. #9040DMiller2024-12-14 16:53

    KW made a fine looking Cabover. Liked them well above Petes.

  9041. #9041mks2024-12-14 17:59

    Also recall strong arm steering and shirts and jackets with longer sleeves. Thanks.

  9042. #9042DMiller2024-12-14 19:26

    We on here are Mostly Knuckle Draggers mks.

  9043. #9043Truck Shop2024-12-14 19:58

    The guy who painted allot of those at the factory--Gary Ridgeway, Green River Killer. He resided here at the state pen for awhile, now he's warehoused in Seattle area.

  9044. #9044Truck Shop2024-12-14 21:49

    1953 Starlight Coupe. *

  9045. #9045Truck Shop2024-12-14 21:52

    Prudhomme 1968, SOHC 427, 1/4 mile in 6 seconds. Now it's 3.3 seconds @ 350mph. *

  9046. #9046DMiller2024-12-15 06:15

    Hell Musks Tesla cars are hitting the 1/4 at 6-7 seconds

  9047. #9047Truck Shop2024-12-15 10:46

    That's expected of EV's----See there is reason for people who hate EV's to buy one. Problem is 99% can't drive worth ****.

  9048. #9048petepilot2024-12-15 11:33

    That is a true classic

  9049. #9049Truck Shop2024-12-15 21:41
  9050. #9050Shimmy12024-12-15 23:38

    Back when the chimneys could be 14' er, er, er. Must've been a Pete junkie wannabe though. Miters are a Pete thing.

  9051. #9051DMiller2024-12-16 04:50

    Rather unique bunk, cannot remember seeing any as that one.

  9052. #9052Truck Shop2024-12-16 06:19

    Two put together.

  9053. #9053Truck Shop2024-12-16 19:22

    At 4555 Channel Dr. Swan Island, Portland Ore. *

  9054. #9054Truck Shop2024-12-17 11:10

    Ah the best time of the year, dark at 4:30 light at 7:00, 40* and lots of dark clouds. I use to like summer sunshine and now I can't stand it, they can take summer and shove it and the heat right up their ***---who ever they are.

  9055. #9055Truck Shop2024-12-17 19:36

    So I removed the driveline and backed the brakes off, used a Challenger and pulled it out of the mud mire to hard packed gravel. It actually steered easy with one hand through the loose wet ground just standing in the door access. I can get it from there with my favorite two truck. Old boss was happy I bought this old box, before I could ask to use the tow truck he said {take old blue and go get it}. * Plus I asked and got the repair records, he bought it in 1988. It had the A model 3406 rebuilt in 1993 @ 184,000, it has 248,000 on it now so 64,000 on rebuild 31 years ago. Rebuilt by Western States Cat, Cat reman cylinder head, all cylinder packs, bearings, oil cooler and turbo. Plus many other sundry small items. The last time it ran was 2011, it started making oil so it has been parked since. I think two places to look first {fuel crossovers in head & fuel transfer pump. It's not a fast leak of fuel, it takes awhile so I'm leaning it's the transfer pump. But because of it's age {old} it has a 24 volt starting system, at the price of 6 volt batteries it will be a better deal to remove series parallel switch/starter and make it a full 12 volt system. * Air compressor is new, the antifreeze was just changed with Cat brand before it was parked. Front drive {and there SQHP's not SQ100's} which is little difference, was replaced at 201,000. Most of the rear drums are new. The Kingpins were re-bushed at 220,000, tie rod ends and steering column joints replaced at same time. Heater core replaced in 235,000, A/C compressor replaced at 215,000. All engine hoses replaced at same time. It doesn't have a 10spd, it has a 12509 {9} speed, which is ok, the rear ratio is 3.70 so it will cruise along just fine. * I can't fully read the data tag so Nige is looking up the specs for the old girl. I think it's really in good condition engine wise once I find the fuel in oil issue. *

  9056. #9056Pony2024-12-17 21:06

    Was it parked up outside? If so how'd the interior hold up to 13yrs of sunlight?

  9057. #9057Truck Shop2024-12-17 21:22

    Parked right where you see it, held up ok, headliner is good, needs side pieces above doors but I have another cab with extra interior. The fun is going to be cleaning the 50lbs of mouse **** & nest out from dash and headliner. But I've done it before so nothing new, then wash entire interior down with extra strength Pine-Sol. It will clean up. * It has a steel dash surface---zero plastic.

  9058. #9058DMiller2024-12-18 04:08

    Biggest issue had on Big Blue here from sitting was corrosion at seals, wheels, steering gear, trans output, brake cans, every where else had some corruption but is holding up so far.

  9059. #9059Old Doug2024-12-18 07:57

    My Dad was working on his car before he Died. I am not sure what will happen to it now . It has some problems . I would like to see some one get it that could finish it . I need to talk it over with my brother and sister. I don't want to mess with it . I have a bunch of projects but I may have to keep it and someday try to finish it. I would love to find someone that was really interested in it that I know would and could finish it . IF IF IF I COULD FIND THAT PERSON and know I found him I would make a good deal .

  9060. #9060Truck Shop2024-12-18 08:28

    Taking a guess Doug----1956 or so Sky Hawk?

  9061. #9061Old Doug2024-12-18 08:36

    I think thats right . We brought it back from Colorado years ago. I need to look for the title for it and some other rigs and see what year they are for sure . The titles are in a desk drawer I need to write my self a note and look at them .

  9062. #9062Truck Shop2024-12-18 08:40

    You got to remember where your 900 came from and has lived all its life. This K100 is basically rust free. It was pulled from highway use in the late 80's before liquid de-icing fluid was in heavy use. The issue will be cleaning the cab--but all doable.

  9063. #9063Truck Shop2024-12-18 08:54

    That's common east of the Rockies, mostly it's the people.

  9064. #906456wrench2024-12-18 11:42

    I’ve always liked the look of those old slippery looking Studes

  9065. #9065Truck Shop2024-12-18 21:58

    Quad cabs for engineers to travel on testing new components, Cummins and Eaton. The Powerliner {wide grille} Eaton Corp had a 12V71T. *

  9066. #9066Truck Shop2024-12-18 22:00

    Freightliner--{Powerliners} came with extended cooling--and were fitted with KTA600's, 3408's & 12V71's.

  9067. #9067DMiller2024-12-19 03:00

    The Powerliner line only lasted a short time.

  9068. #9068kshansen2024-12-19 06:08

    Forget what the truck was but many years back I and a bunch of guys from the shop went to a school at Cat in Peoria and one day got to ride in a demo truck something like that. Forget but seems like there were seats for 6 to 8 people plus the driver.

  9069. #9069Old Doug2024-12-19 07:59

    The title says its a 1953 but its put together out of a bunch of parts. That where it has a problem the hood has gapes on each side. It should have been gone over before it was taken apart to paint.

  9070. #9070Truck Shop2024-12-19 09:04

    It was a 1953 Starlight.

  9071. #9071Truck Shop2024-12-19 09:08

    It lasted about 7 years--only while production of the big engines of the time were available.

  9072. #9072Truck Shop2024-12-19 22:13

    As I just told one of the members on a PM. This place has many, many corners, and several spend much time trying to **** in all of them. *

  9073. #9073Truck Shop2024-12-20 10:51

    Ah yes---I'm retired but must start counting my minutes of toil through each day. As in counting time it takes to lower landing gear, and set a stop watch when performing the human chore of taking/leaving a dump. I have found out late in life the minutes lost cranking landing gear and how important that is, like sand through an hour glass, all that wasted time on a crank handle. What petty ass bs. * Need to put a lurker alert out---lurkers.

  9074. #9074Truck Shop2024-12-20 19:47
  9075. #9075Truck Shop2024-12-20 21:48

    That ad----I bet those seeing that stang are just wishing they had that BOOMER car. * A secret---------boomers had all the cool **** when was brand new not restored, got to take it out and just run the **** out of it. I sure ran the **** out of the ones I Had. * That 1/2 ton pickup---load it till the bottom of bed was waved and tail gate sagging. Thrash that 300 six .

  9076. #9076mekanik2024-12-21 01:49

    My Dad had a 67 Ford F100 1/2 ton with a 300 6 cylinder and a three on the tree. He took the NT380 Cummins out of his 65 Pacific logging truck put in the back of the F100 and drove 750 miles to Cummins in Vancouver where they rebuilt it then hauled it 750 miles home to reinstall it. It would have been a three day drive each way back then.

  9077. #9077mekanik2024-12-21 09:13

    Somewhere in Mexico.

  9078. #9078Truck Shop2024-12-21 09:49

    Somewhere in Latin America. *

  9079. #9079DMiller2024-12-21 18:54

    Gawd Awful ugly Somsabiches!!

  9080. #9080petepilot2024-12-21 19:05

    easy dave theres not many of em left

  9081. #9081DMiller2024-12-21 19:35

    Good

  9082. #9082mekanik2024-12-21 20:22

    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

  9083. #9083Truck Shop2024-12-21 21:09

    I just get a kick out of someone despising a fine well designed extremely good looking IH 190 style Harvester. If you had that every Halloween you would be dressing it up with nice orange pumpkins on the fenders and cornstalks leaning against the cab with a scarecrow in the seat holding a corncob pipe. You would be in the Hermann Halloween Parade waving and tossing candy.

  9084. #9084mowingman2024-12-22 09:07

    Those are great looking old trucks. Fortunately, I never had to drive one, or work on one. If so, I might have a different opinion.

  9085. #9085DMiller2024-12-22 09:21

    From day one working on R series, disgusted me, No matter the Lipstick Chrome values ugly as a old hog. V Series were a step better but same cab and tight for a 6'2" frame even skinny as I was then. Knees to chest to use clutch, and into steering column most other times, seating seemed flat on the floor for me and headliner but miniscule distance above head.

  9086. #9086Truck Shop2024-12-22 20:20

    There wasn't a truck made from 1930 to 1982 that was designed for person over 5'11". Especially those stude cab Macks, built for 5'8" Italians. And guess who bought most of them. Ford, GMC built some real ugly small cabbed trucks but the Whites of years ago were some of the smallest cabs ever built--& hot. * But the Ford Tree Houses of the early 60's were just as Ugly as any, a C cab scabbed on top of a ugly front end with afterthought sheet metal to cover the C cab wheel openings. Never mind the leaning tower of pizza under the scab, plus that condo for a sleeper. This one complete with Minnesota Mag Wheels. *

  9087. #9087Truck Shop2024-12-22 21:51

    Here's a small cab White. Built for suck *** midgets. *

  9088. #9088Truck Shop2024-12-22 21:53

    And a rare 1951 4x4 Chevy Suburban. *

  9089. #9089Truck Shop2024-12-23 20:01

    1938 IH made to pull a RSH. *

  9090. #9090DMiller2024-12-24 04:43

    The streamliners of the 30s, Art Deco on the Road.

  9091. #9091Truck Shop2024-12-24 04:59

    You knew him too! I ran into Art Deco oh I guess around 1979 near Williams Ca.

  9092. #9092DMiller2024-12-24 05:30

    Nothing screams Fuel Saved and Speed produced than Swept Lines and Curved edges! Trains, Cars, Trucks and all of it pretty well lipstick on pigs as did not achieve the speeds where that could produce a difference but boy oh boy Looked Great. Aircraft industries spent mass money to build Wind Tunnels to test theories, found that under 160mph aerodynamics has little value. Ground Effects Ducting does help pull a machine to the road but under 60mph has negligible values as well, most is just excess weight packaging.

  9093. #9093Truck Shop2024-12-24 05:55

    Reading through a book on birds I found a interesting one, kind of a not so rare species, can be found anywhere across the Americas but mainly concentrated heavy populated areas as well as rural. Wingspan that has a average of 5.6 to 6.8 feet, with average height of roughly the same. Builds a platform nest like large raptors that can range from 30' to 100' diameter, consisting of various materials, old 2x4's all types of scrap metal used vehicle parts to chunks of old concrete blocks, even old baling & fence wire. Soars with minimal wing beats followed by rapid decent to pounce on any meat picking bones clean. Normal plumage is tri colored with a brown vertical stripe on tail feathers. Great viewing areas are rest areas, along side roads and or any areas where building is taking place. * Known as the {Reddish Yellow and Green Dabbler}.

  9094. #9094JaredV2024-12-24 14:21

    Here's a unique one. I drive by this place semi-regularly and this is the first time I've seen it so it's moved recently. I think it's twin steer. Both axles were turned about the same angle, anyway.

  9095. #9095Shimmy12024-12-24 14:55

    I will be shocked if TS doesn't know pretty much everything about this truck. Probably has a story to go with it.

  9096. #9096Truck Shop2024-12-24 16:39

    That's a 78 or 79 Power Liner that had the nose/rad cavity altered, the grille is slightly wider than a factory cab, plus headlights moved to vertical. The reason for year is the cab is also a slant back, only made those a few years. IIRC it came from California there was a small photo of it on a FB page some years back, and it brought up quiet a discussion. Although in the small photo it looked in better shape. Many have thought it is a factory one or two production cab because the headlight wells/buckets and grille opening are too straight. Those only came powered with 3408's, 12V71's & KTA 525/600's no little power. And FRTLR did build some cabover twin steers. The one below is a typical Power Liner. But it is very interesting that it has the Holmes 750 {25 ton} and not the {mule} Holmes 850 {40 ton}. * It would be good if you could stop if you have time and ask about it/some history. It is a very rare/odd piece. *

  9097. #9097Truck Shop2024-12-24 16:41

    ^^^^^^The silver, maroon & blue above I have seen--it sports a very hot 3408.

  9098. #9098JaredV2024-12-24 16:51

    You nailed it.

  9099. #9099Truck Shop2024-12-24 17:41

    Those were/are some great photos you posted JaredV-----It seems the folks forgot to hit the like button on those, you took the time to stop.

  9100. #9100Truck Shop2024-12-24 17:56

    Jake Winn---personal Kenworth archives aficionado Jeff Lakazcyck----personal Federal, Sterling, International, White archives aficionado Cam Lavin----personal Peterbilt archives aficionado Ken DuBord---Kenworth aficionado Hamish Petrie--Sterling, White aficionado Bob McWhorter--mixed makes. aficionado Bill Hancock---Mack aficionado And I---those above make it their business to know what's what and where. * But to me most are just old tires holding up some scrap iron at this point.

  9101. #9101JaredV2024-12-24 18:38

    I hear ya, kinda like my dad and I with tugboats that frequent the Columbia River. Though I haven't kept as up to date lately since kids came along

  9102. #9102DMiller2024-12-24 18:57

    Really impressed so many Powerliners survived.

  9103. #9103Truck Shop2024-12-24 21:59

    48 Ford converted by Marmon Harrington in 48. *

  9104. #9104petepilot2024-12-25 01:13

    A friend of mine with global vl.had a cat powered 78.dont know if him or the truck is still around

  9105. #9105petepilot2024-12-25 01:15

    Merry christmas all.

  9106. #9106Truck Shop2024-12-25 09:07

    One of the worst days of the year, people opening presents from others that couldn't afford them, adding debt to credit cards, and the person receiving said present doesn't like, won't fit, won't use that present only to throw in trash when no ones looking or haul to their rented storage unit where they hide the rest of life's treasures they also couldn't afford right along with the rent on the unit. * The bright side---The corporations are smiling * Have a nice dinner on this 25th day of Dec.

  9107. #9107Acoals2024-12-25 09:26

    Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!

  9108. #9108Truck Shop2024-12-25 09:34

    Well i got a reply out of a lurker, where are the other lurkers.

  9109. #9109Truck Shop2024-12-25 09:38

    Many, many folks across the U.S. and else where pay homage to truckers every year for weeks at a time. It's either that or they secretly wish to be a Trucker but use christmas as a guise. *

  9110. #911056wrench2024-12-25 09:39

    We got out of the gift-giving rut years ago. Now its just getting together with family and doing family stuff

  9111. #9111Shimmy12024-12-25 09:44

    Fixed it for ya

  9112. #9112Truck Shop2024-12-25 09:53

    Pew there's a whiff of some stink and echoing noise floating through, pops up now and again. I showered changed shorts this morning, oh I see it now it's sifting out around the edges of the monitor.

  9113. #9113DMiller2024-12-25 11:59

    We give little stuff to the family kids, some cash to older kids, cards get mailed within a month out, usually after T-day. Have had Xmas here for dinner, conversation and allow those that do not have time to clean after the mess to not have one at home. Otherwise pretty quiet, our family Xmas is this Saturday, today just the wife her sis and I.

  9114. #9114Pops522024-12-25 12:48

    This too, is my problem with Christmas. Well said.

  9115. #9115kshansen2024-12-25 14:19

    We are doing a very low key Christmas this year. Wife's only request was Sirius subscription for her car and cell phone. My pick was a Dewalt battery powered leaf blower to replace a 30 year old AC one that the fan blade disintegrated on this summer. Just the two of us for dinner to night, shrimp and pasta with side of toss salad and wine. Just hoping the leaf blower makes it and doesn't end up with some guy in Montana as I got an email saying it was being shipped from Kent, Washington by Home Depot! Spud Monkey if you get it let me know how it works and I'll order another one!

  9116. #9116Truck Shop2024-12-25 14:21

    The only presents I hand out is either some food or gift certificate to grocery store. The one thing that's totally universal.

  9117. #9117Truck Shop2024-12-25 14:24

    Well if it ends up in eastern half of Montana it won't get much use, hard to find a deciduous tree over there.

  9118. #9118Truck Shop2024-12-25 15:18

    Info I wanted came from a associate in the Portland Or. area. This unit came from or originally owned by Buds Towing Oregon City. *

  9119. #9119Truck Shop2024-12-25 15:19

    1935 Kenworth. *

  9120. #9120DMiller2024-12-25 15:42

    Battle scarred and tired!

  9121. #9121Truck Shop2024-12-25 16:27

    And a little more info e-mailed me---Custom built by Sloans in Portland, Sloans did the custom one off orders apparently for Freightliner. Buds Towing owned 2 Sloan built tow trucks. I know a few old FRTLR shop guys. And a photo sent of it in it's better days. *

  9122. #9122DMiller2024-12-25 16:29

    Let me Guess, 12v71 Still looks good even aged these days

  9123. #9123Truck Shop2024-12-25 16:29

    1693 TA. 425 was told.

  9124. #9124DMiller2024-12-25 16:31

    Those were heavy engines!

  9125. #9125Pops522024-12-25 17:02

    How did those twin steers handle at highway speed? Anyone here ever drive one?

  9126. #9126DMiller2024-12-25 17:42

    Never ran one besides a Crane Chassis They steered/drive like crap anyway. Been around the wreckers set up that way, seem awkward.

  9127. #9127Truck Shop2024-12-25 19:37

    Oregon City, outskirts of Portland, most speeds were in the 50 mph range even back then. 1-5, 205 were just not that fast, only late at night. It probably rode a little rough as far as steering--It would be expected to have a few odd characteristics. * The thing most don't see---those are chrome plated steel wheels, popular then.

  9128. #9128Truck Shop2024-12-25 20:00

    The one big thing about this custom tow unit------In Washington State it's really a dead horse. First off age, Second not long enough for wheel lift, Third it's a 25 ton mechanical tow unit. In this state to be on law enforcement roster, Washington requires a minimum of a 35 ton unit that is full hydraulic and wheel lift capabilities that match. Mechanical tow units are not allowed on that roster. So really it's just a big toy now, could be used for privet/independent shop but most don't want the hassle.

  9129. #9129DMiller2024-12-25 20:16

    Another antique novelty, Like us.

  9130. #9130Truck Shop2024-12-25 22:12

    There all novelties, headed to the bone yard one day. Nothing is forever except diamonds. On another note---a street was being redone in town next to a well know rather large park. They were on the final phases of but had some change orders, while excavating they dug up some bones--- -----through expert testing--very old native american bones, and since then have found some more. All construction work has a cease & desist indefinitely. It's figured a Indian Burial Site.

  9131. #9131DMiller2024-12-26 04:08

    Happens here as well. We had the Mound Builders of Cahokia, their predecessors and descendants were of or came to the Missouri, Gasconade and Osage rivers, built small settlements that disappeared over time, are small burial sites show up every now and then. One major one is inside Busch Wildlife Grounds at the old AEC Malinkrodt plant grounds along the MKT RR. Several sites had materials stolen as they were found and desecrated, started quite a bit of anger and angst here. Has been burial sites located, left as undisturbed as possible and returned to what they were while kept quiet on. MODOT finds a few now and then.

  9132. #9132DMiller2024-12-26 17:44

    Fella here in town drives for a Contact I know also in independent trucking. Has a B-75 old Oil Field wagon sitting at the end of his workshop and storage building drive. Still Runs, Still Drives, has the Typical Winch works behind the cab, an electric winch behind the bumper and loads of off the wall goober crap on the rusting cab. Will get a photo tomorrow or on weekend.

  9133. #9133Truck Shop2024-12-26 20:23

    I'm sorry

  9134. #9134Acoals2024-12-26 20:32

    B-75 . . . ?

  9135. #9135Truck Shop2024-12-26 20:42

    I posted that knowing someone would jump right on it! and it only took about 30 minutes.

  9136. #9136Truck Shop2024-12-26 20:44

    Rorison Mineral Development, Mt Maungani NZ. *

  9137. #9137Truck Shop2024-12-26 20:49

    Here's a dandy, developed by Texas Aerodynamics & Brick Making Company. *

  9138. #9138Pops522024-12-26 21:09

    Another B model

  9139. #9139Truck Shop2024-12-26 21:42

    A model of something.

  9140. #9140Shimmy12024-12-26 21:44

    Might be some guys around here that could fit in it.

  9141. #9141Pops522024-12-26 22:12

    1/87 from my model railroader site. Big tow cable!!

  9142. #9142Truck Shop2024-12-26 22:15

    In a New York Minute. what a pile, the way it's built you couldn't see anything while towing or hooking up. *

  9143. #9143crane operator2024-12-26 23:03

    I've driven quite a few tandem steers. They are pretty much standard on all the truck cranes, I've even seen new freightliner and w. star tandem chassis under newer boom trucks, a buddy has one. I don't think I've ever been fast enough in one, to worry about "highway speeds". Although our 2006 will scoot down the road, faster than you really want to drive it. It will run in the 60's. The older and more worn the steering system gets, the worse they drive, because you've got double the components to wear out. But really the tandem steers don't drive a lot different down the road than a standard truck.

  9144. #9144Truck Shop2024-12-27 07:25

    I see some lurkers stopped by on there way to forum. -------------------as the movie, {A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum} 1966, with Zero Mostel, Phil Silvers & Buster Keaton. When it comes to trucks in many cases it's all relative. What one set of trucks perform like, a second batch of the same model & specs turns out different in many ways. And most of it is controlled by the crew on assembly line. As far as trucks with twin steer axles, it revolves around timing of hydraulics, spring rates, and evenly adjusted. But it's a truck--and a truck not designed for any other use than vocational, never designed to be a freeway cruiser.

  9145. #9145Vetech632024-12-27 07:56
  9146. #9146Truck Shop2024-12-27 08:16

    Yes you got it V--lurkers, smurfs. * It's a fun thing to watch the herd walk right off the cliff.

  9147. #9147Truck Shop2024-12-27 08:54

    Here's a he-man contractor special. *

  9148. #9148Truck Shop2024-12-27 09:11

    And a truck designed as dual purpose, which is what all commercial vehicles should be, dual usage. IMO one of the worst ideas to come along was the integral cab/sleeper. A truck built with removing the sleeper to be used as day cab and back again would have been fairly easy. Plus with a set back axle as this one has a good turning radius, with a large hood that could accept any engine configure- ation. Only with hub pilot wheels. Easy to work on/repair. *

  9149. #9149Acoals2024-12-27 11:39

    I've seen that truck around, I think they are down by Madison somewhere.

  9150. #9150kshansen2024-12-27 14:43

    Think I read the door as saying Waterloo Wisconsin. Not that far away!

  9151. #9151DMiller2024-12-27 17:45

    Would have Loved to have a Acar as that one, MN Mags and All!!

  9152. #9152CM19952024-12-27 19:07

    The new Autocars are being made here in Birmingham. Rumor has it our Cat dealer is going to be a dealer. One of the redi-mix companies have a few, saw one on the job the other day. I am no truck expert but they seem to be a solid built truck. Don't know if this was factory or an add on but it had cameras on the outside of the front fenders facing backwards. Thought that was interesting until the driver tore the fender off.

  9153. #9153Oxbow2024-12-27 19:27

    I didn't realize they were still building them. Pretty cool in my mind. Looks like the Cummins X12 @ 500 hp is the most you can get, but that's ample for most vocational uses.

  9154. #9154Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:29

    Yeah yeah yeah----you threw turds at the Kelowna steel cabs.

  9155. #9155Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:30

    2222

  9156. #9156Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:36

    A-Car is the oldest vehicle manufacture in the U.S. Started in late 1800's, that still is producing. * A removable sleeper would be easy designed at factory with a Plug for sleeper opening for storage and a plug for cab opening with window. It could be made not to look like a after thought. And still have A/C-heater ability.

  9157. #9157Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:38

    Learn something everyday---even on this thread, which has picked up a few long time no posters along the way.

  9158. #9158Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:40

    They could have at least hired a real freehand graphics art designer for their ad. That is a very cheesy computer generated thing. *

  9159. #9159Truck Shop2024-12-27 19:44

    This is Badass on the level of ad value which it should be shown side by side in a two page ad for Autocar. *

  9160. #9160Truck Shop2024-12-27 21:17

    And they all flew away, imagine that.

  9161. #9161Truck Shop2024-12-27 21:54

    A friends idea of a 1960 Autocar DC102 that he found-he had this youtube rendering done. *

  9162. #9162DMiller2024-12-28 06:14

    Almost owned JYs 1962 DC Acar, just could not find enough parts to fully assemble, boxes got scattered. Would not have been much left of the original machine once completed except that Kelowna.

  9163. #9163crane operator2024-12-28 08:17

    I haven't seen one in the wild yet. I have been watching the company progress though. They have a great core business in the refuse/ concrete pump arena, with their cab forward trucks. The new truck has been a really slow process. Their promotions emphasis has been for uptime and ease of service/ repair. I'd like to see it work out.

  9164. #9164kshansen2024-12-28 09:02

    Well my Leaf blower has been showing as getting as far as Reno NV at 11:45 AM on the 26th. No updates since then. Guess it's not a problem as most of the leaves around here are wet and under a few inches of wet snow!

  9165. #9165Truck Shop2024-12-28 09:03

    Oh boy, two or three goody-two-shoe dabblers lurking about. A core business--lets see catch word {core} next {uptime} seem to be {solid built}. which will be discovered after about 200K, Looks are deceiving.

  9166. #9166Truck Shop2024-12-28 09:05

    It's standing at bank of video slots pushing buttons right now and it ain't Mega Millions

  9167. #9167Truck Shop2024-12-28 14:11

    And now for a real oddity. This is the 1960 DC-102 Autocar that's in the video I previously posted. Cummins 220-5X4. And it only has 60 some thousand miles on it. Owned by a county in Oregon. Wes the friend I know wants it really bad, he lives in that county. He talked to a young county road crew foreman about. It's required to go up for auction on any vehicle, the foreman would sell it but only to someone in the county, knowing it would go up on open bid nation wide and the fact it would be bought by a super high dollar bidder only to flip it he has decided it will set and collect dirt for the next X amount of years. He would sell it to Wes but his hands are tied by the fact it would be deemed surplus and any rich ******* could get his mitts on it.----In a way good for him keep their grubby hands off it. *

  9168. #9168Oxbow2024-12-28 14:57

    Delete

  9169. #9169JaredV2024-12-28 15:18

    Does it have to be a big auction site? Can't they do a sealed bid and only advertise in the local paper? What are the minimum requirements for auctioning off government property? More of a rhetorical question.

  9170. #9170Truck Shop2024-12-28 15:39

    I don't know their rules or reasons--when it comes to city/county/state selling off surplus. Bought with tax dollars so everyone gets a crack at it I suppose.

  9171. #9171DMiller2024-12-28 19:52

    Cool old find even if not available. 64 years old soon to be 65.

  9172. #9172Truck Shop2024-12-28 20:01

    Not many like this in this kind of original state are left, truthfully it should be left as is just reconditioned for safe operation. Being a DC102 makes even more of a oddity, kind of like finding a 1937 Cord in a shed behind grandpa's house. Pete's & Kenworth's in this low mileage condition are hard to find--but a Autocar that's a whole other kind of rare.

  9173. #9173Pops522024-12-28 21:10

    I wanna drive it!!

  9174. #9174Truck Shop2024-12-28 21:18

    Your going to be wanting a long time. * Thing about this A-Car--If Wes were to get it eventually, his plans are for me to Customize it for him. I don't know that I would do that to that one, and I'm too old anyway.

  9175. #9175Pops522024-12-28 21:20

    It’s best left as it is. I WOULD get it inside tho. Maybe donate it to a truck museum.

  9176. #9176DMiller2024-12-28 21:29

    That one should remain Unmolested and Museum placed.

  9177. #9177Truck Shop2024-12-28 21:44

    Well----everyone has a thought about it and each a varied idea. * Too many museum pieces---too many in the hands of rich collectors--and for them it's nothing more than bragging rights and the possibility of a pile of frog-hides made in flipping it. Too many would repower and try to run it down the road or just plain make a mess out of it. * For right now----that county needs to put a tarp over it to somewhat protect it and keep from the eyes of guys with beards, 5.9 T shirts, ear piercings and tattoos. Oh forgot the ball cap with sunglasses on top. * I personally like the idea of it hidden away out of sight out of mind.

  9178. #9178Truck Shop2024-12-28 22:07

    Herrett--Sunnyside Wa. photo taken on the Vine. Herrett was the largest refrigerated transport on west coast back then. Hell I probably saw and waved at this truck in early 60's. *

  9179. #9179DMiller2024-12-29 07:37

    Even Road Clothed Dirty and simple with Steel Wheels the old Needle noses had Class. BTW, can see the Torsion bar ahead of the Duals.

  9180. #9180Truck Shop2024-12-29 07:47

    Herrett had quite a boneyard--I don't think there was a truck that wasn't redone at least twice.

  9181. #9181Truck Shop2024-12-29 08:29

    Here Miller you can see this piece of americana in Jackson Mo. A leftover oddball Texas built Wolfwagon. *

  9182. #9182Truck Shop2024-12-29 08:30

    Some more Wolfery. *

  9183. #9183Acoals2024-12-29 09:48

    That's too ugly to even put in a museum . . .

  9184. #9184DMiller2024-12-29 10:31

    Almost Too Ugly to run thru a Shredder!!

  9185. #9185Labparamour2024-12-29 10:52

    Well, it is Swift…. (Sorry. Everyone pics on Swift)

  9186. #9186DMiller2024-12-29 12:31

    Older one LP Powered, and a Unsightly Mess. Had to be given to the owner, no one is that dumb to pay for that.

  9187. #9187JaredV2024-12-29 13:02

    Does the truck in the first pics use a pancake engine?

  9188. #9188DMiller2024-12-29 14:25

    Looked to me as 50 or 60 series GM Chassis under that Garbage can box.

  9189. #9189Truck Shop2024-12-29 14:43

    It was built on the premise of cheap-cheap doesn't mean good or good looking, it's just utility cheap.

  9190. #9190DMiller2024-12-29 15:07

    Kinda like a UPS Truck

  9191. #9191Acoals2024-12-29 15:44

    That thing makes a UPS truck look like a Duesenberg . . .

  9192. #9192Truck Shop2024-12-29 17:56

    ups-mail-fedx---it's all the same deal. operations like that are not interested in looks, it nets zero income, and involves more overhead to maintain. And truthfully most of what we do in the u.s. is a little unnecessary. Fact---when you guys order parts and those are coming on a brown, white or what ever color vehicle that freight company has or it looks like------you don't really care---you just want your parts yesterday.

  9193. #9193Truck Shop2024-12-29 20:19
  9194. #9194petepilot2024-12-29 21:22

    Recent picture?

  9195. #9195Truck Shop2024-12-29 21:32

    not mine--but rare as has tandem.

  9196. #9196petepilot2024-12-29 21:48

    About a 65

  9197. #9197Truck Shop2024-12-29 22:21

    Yeah 65,66,67. or so. 413 powered.

  9198. #9198DMiller2024-12-30 03:32

    Three speed eatons or tag?

  9199. #9199Truck Shop2024-12-30 09:02

    Allot of questions about a old dodge, the engine was 6nz 2000 hp, 82 speed 13speed with 10speed rear axles all run through a solid 4" thick drivelines, tires were 29 ply perpetual rubber type, over 3000 farts detected by Geiger counter in drivers chair. photo was taken in the Qld and the tipper was filled with wacky wicks or was that wicks wacky.

  9200. #9200Truck Shop2024-12-30 19:08

    Years ago any body works could be shared. This is a 1935 Corbitt that used a Auburn 652Y sedan hood/fenders and possibly the cab was built by Auburn also. Complete with suicide doors. And I think that's a possible Cleatrac or very early Toro-Dingo. *

  9201. #9201DMiller2024-12-30 19:54

    Now that is unique!!

  9202. #9202Truck Shop2024-12-30 21:22

    Allot of vehicle manufactures back then farmed out body works/coach building to other well established manufactures. It was kind of like grafting two different fruit trees. And for the coach builders it was a good offshoot for their biz. Especially after 1929, there were {including} every tiny tiny builder at the time over 2,000 vehicle/car manufactures in the U.S. in 1928. By 1935 98 were left with only 8 major manufactures left. In 1929 Ford produced 1,507,130 vehicles by 1932 Ford's production dropped to 210,000 total. As far as total truck manufactures there is almost no statistics. But most were dying on the vine. One more reason truck builders used others to make body parts, they were all leaning on each other to survive. 1936 Fageol was in deep trouble, by early 1938 the company went under. Sterling bought Fageol out for about 40 cents on the dollar, took what they wanted then sold the remainder, property, tools, machining equipment, stamping presses to T.A. Peterman of Morton Wa. for $50,000 in Jan 1938. And late in 1938 the first Peterbilt was born.

  9203. #9203DMiller2024-12-31 02:11

    Defines the survivors.

  9204. #9204Truck Shop2024-12-31 08:39

    End of the year----out with the old, in with the new. *

  9205. #9205Acoals2024-12-31 09:57

    I didn't like the video; the operator is a complete amateur, and the truck was some crummy old foreign cabover. We want professionals snipping needle nose Peterbilts and Mack B models . . .

  9206. #9206Truck Shop2024-12-31 12:57

    Well then---your going to have to make your own vid. You might try hanging out at a ATHS meet with a excavator snip and snatch a few being trailered in to shows.

  9207. #9207Truck Shop2024-12-31 13:17

    Here--one right here, imagine grabbing that and shaking the **** out of it till the cab falls off. *

  9208. #9208Truck Shop2024-12-31 14:05

    Acoals-----I have tendency to make fun of the {I want one too--crowd} for the simple fact some of this stuff going on in the 11.00 22.5 world has gone way overboard. I and several others that converse about vintage trucks are getting kind of tired with the same old thing. Everyone wants a Extended Hood A model Kenworth, clones are the rage now days. I made the comment on a FB page for W900A's Only about the fact there are so many long hood A models showing up---there is a probability it's getting close to original production numbers. For a long time you couldn't buy a replacement hood for a [A] long hood model, dealer only and those became hard to come by. A used hood was average price $3,000 and a cracked one at that. Then two different companies came along {Jones} was one of them, they started producing new for $3,000. Which in turn caused people to take a old {any year} standard W900 move the cab mounts back, redo the linkages and install a long hood, creating a clone. And some have done it with 359's as well. * There are lots of clone long hood A models now. Even years ago when I was trucking you just didn't see that many long hood Kenworth's. Right now a replacement long hood can be bought from {4 States} for roughly $2,600 and a standard hood $1,600. Just like muscle cars went haywire 20 years ago, the same with class 8. Kind along the Harley lines. Back in the 60's Harley's weren't that popular, when Harley got rid of the leaking issues and the nostalgia idea landed----{I want a Harley, I want one Tooooo}. The problem with these fads--I call it a fad because it will wear off, is it causes allot of greedy issues to rise. All of a sudden the user types pop up garbling up anything old jacking prices way out of line, in a field that is already real expensive to rebuild any of these relics. And runs allot of the old guys out that actually know and drove this stuff. The term {Old School} is really overused by a young group that will never truly know what it was like back then. * Below is a clone. *

  9209. #9209Truck Shop2025-01-02 16:29

    The trouble with all most all old crap is what's hiding under years of paint and rust, most are flintstone rigs, this one of DM's in town is just just looking for a place to disintegrate. The only aluminum is the hood. *

  9210. #9210Truck Shop2025-01-02 16:37

    Below is the cab stripped and soda blasted that was on my crap wagon. Notice everywhere there is a arrow it was either rust or full of bondo. The right front bulkhead corner was really twisted and covered up with mud, the top of cab on right side was a mess which took a ton of heat shrinking to straighten and the bottom back of cab was nothing but rust, had to be cutout and a piece from another useable cab welded in. No most of these old trucks are just hulks in many cases that look ok but held together with not much. *

  9211. #9211Truck Shop2025-01-02 16:39
  9212. #9212Truck Shop2025-01-02 16:44
  9213. #9213kshansen2025-01-02 18:15

    There were many times back in the early to mid 1970's I probably could have got one or more for at the most scrap value. These were all truck that never were run over the road and despite looking rough were very solid. They were used by many of the quarries the company I worked for as stock trucks then when they were being replaced with newer trucks many were used as trucks to haul welders around the quarries. One of the reasons the quarries had lots of B models is the company also owned the Mack dealership in Easton PA. So we had everything from B model single axles pulling side dump trailers right up to the M-65 Off-highway quarry trucks

  9214. #9214Truck Shop2025-01-02 19:00

    Old macks or whatever, Hell I think Junkyards old 500 is here for sale. * Loading....

  9215. #9215DMiller2025-01-02 19:10

    Projects and money pits

  9216. #9216Truck Shop2025-01-02 19:11

    You have lot's & plenty of time.

  9217. #9217DMiller2025-01-02 19:12

    LOL, Nope!!

  9218. #9218Truck Shop2025-01-02 19:13

    That's not what Junkyard told me, just chomping at the bit.

  9219. #9219DMiller2025-01-02 19:46

    Still nope

  9220. #9220Truck Shop2025-01-02 20:29

    Till the next pile, there's always one more pile.

  9221. #9221Acoals2025-01-02 20:39

    This one, somebody fix this pile, so I can work it. I always have a soft spot for these old R models, too bad they are all junk now . . . 1988 MACK R690 For Sale in Manchester, New Hampshire 1988 MACK R690 For Sale in Manchester, New Hampshire at www.josephequipment.com. 1988 MACK RD690, TRI AXLE, 17' STEEL BODY, 300 MACK, 8 SPEED, ENGINE BRAKE, 44,000 LB REARS, 18,000 LB FRONT, 20,000 LB PUSHER AXLE, SPRING RIDE, ELECTRIC FLIP N GO CANVAS, POWER STEERING, A/C, NEEDS TRANSMISSION... www.josephequipment.com

  9222. #9222Truck Shop2025-01-02 21:02

    Nothing quite like a nice R pile, worn out on new england rds, complete with mag wheels. Anything that has rear engine mounts on transmission bell is a pile----which includes GMC, Ford, Volvo, Mack, and even some models of Freightliner. A big reason I tend to stick with west coast built trucks, us left coasters including canada build a better truck.

  9223. #9223Truck Shop2025-01-02 21:54

    Note size of injection pump. *

  9224. #9224DMiller2025-01-03 04:06

    Have seen Two Herc diesels in my career. Neither ran as no parts to repair, came off gensets at Mississippi Lime Quarries. Disappeared around 1979 most likely to scrapper.

  9225. #9225DMiller2025-01-03 04:16

    Doubt I could muster up the energy to build another. Last two beat me pretty hard. As to a shop found the one I had constructed is far too small, 40x80 would have been snug and was no funds to set that in 2012. As constructed all existing structures on this hilltop a 50x100 is out of the question, even a 40x80 will not be accommodated here and would be a first necessity to build anything else. Either would eat all the money to build anything else, and no places to rent around here not dirt floored. Could see another dream project, except the wife can’t. Is her turn and we are going to utilize Blue to treat her desires to see parts of the US. Side note edit: When built the 30x48, foundation was $18k with a 6” pour floor. The building itself cost a little over $34k and I still had to install electrical system and facilities for human waste inside. Prices are nuts now, did price footer foundation for a 40x80 down beside barn for RSH and Blue to park inside, that alone was close to $40k, 16’ inside structure height red iron building ‘kit’ was around $45k and I would have to assemble as well add doors. $100k and not even ready for a project truck. Cannot do that this late in the game. As it is have not won the lottery.

  9226. #9226DIYDAVE2025-01-03 04:39

    Just saw this, on another forum:

  9227. #9227Truck Shop2025-01-03 10:24

    You know the most important thing in your post was it got the stamp of HEF's finest approvers. It's their humble and sincere way of flippin T.S. the Bird.

  9228. #9228Truck Shop2025-01-03 10:43

    Truck driver apparel-----custom with chrome toe covers, mainly found on mid to east coast drivers.

  9229. #9229Acoals2025-01-03 11:09

    I dunno, I grew up and learned to drive on the East Coast, and the only guys who wore Gear Jamming Boots like that were Wannabes who watched Smokey and the Bandit too many times. Not ashamed of our Macks though . . .

  9230. #9230Truck Shop2025-01-03 13:37

    Now just where do you suppose the Bandit hailed from? I think it was south of the mason dixson line. Those type booties were real common years ago. The best Macks were built in Hayward California.

  9231. #9231Truck Shop2025-01-03 14:11
  9232. #9232Truck Shop2025-01-03 14:12

    Notice on those above---no mag wheels.

  9233. #9233Truck Shop2025-01-03 18:58

    The first R series built 1966 to 69 IIRC had a super huge front crossmember that held everything together. *

  9234. #9234Truck Shop2025-01-03 19:06

    When I worked for the Ag company they owned this early 1967, had a serial number of 1190. which would have been the 190th built being Mack numbers back then started at 1001. Had a 335-5x4 Spicer's with rockwell drives. A farmer bought it and put a bed on it. Radiator tanks went bad from corrosion, had a heck of a time finding useable tanks. *

  9235. #9235DMiller2025-01-03 19:39

    Fitting, a Salt Water Chevy in that Western R series.

  9236. #9236Truck Shop2025-01-03 20:00

    There were some, but most I've seen were Cummins powered.

  9237. #9237DMiller2025-01-04 04:24

    Seen only one here myself

  9238. #9238Truck Shop2025-01-04 10:55

    On another note--ran across one of the first to build a rail--then twin power. Eddie & Bonnie Hill. IIRC I saw these in a real old Hot Rod mag in the 60's. *

  9239. #9239Truck Shop2025-01-04 15:49

    The Raider--not many built, not many left. *

  9240. #9240DMiller2025-01-04 17:19

    Diamond in the Rough

  9241. #924156wrench2025-01-05 10:08

    TS, what year was the Raider built and what made them think it was ahead of its time? Anything special about them?

  9242. #9242Truck Shop2025-01-05 10:10

    Early to mid 70's----the rest is just typical hype.

  9243. #924356wrench2025-01-05 10:13

    I had never heard of them

  9244. #9244DMiller2025-01-05 12:02

    Diamond dealer here at ST Lou was also the White dealer awhile, had one of those on the lot in 72 or 73 IIRC, would drive by there on occasion with Dad. Loved the look of huge Hood and Grill, treasured memory. Do not believe it ever sold, dealer went out of business in ‘76 and saw it being hauled off as made rounds applying for jobs.

  9245. #9245mowingman2025-01-05 12:30

    Diamond T declared bankruptcy in about 1974. I think the last trucks were built somewhere in Pennsylvania.

  9246. #9246Truck Shop2025-01-05 13:41

    Ok--Diamond REO history. White owned and started building Diamond REO's along with Western Stars in 1967. Along came a guy named Cappaert who bought Diamond REO from White in 1971 and started manufacturing in Birmingham Al. And song Birmingham Jail- . Cappaert lost his ass, went bankrupt in 1974. Two other wannabe truck barons named Osterlund & Houseal bought the rights again and built them in Harrisburg Pa, building maybe 140 total a year till 1995. Then another name change to Diamond Vehicle Solutions {you know everyone has a solution} from 2000 to about 2010 then went poof again. Then in 2015 restarting again with same DVS name doing business as T-Line trucks, building custom order class 6,7,8's. * The fun thing about capitalism, people constantly committing financial suicide wanting to be vehicle manufacturing barons.

  9247. #9247Truck Shop2025-01-05 20:44

    Could be had with up to 475 hp. *

  9248. #9248Truck Shop2025-01-05 20:46

    There's just only so much that can be done with a box.

  9249. #9249Truck Shop2025-01-05 21:14

    Mater is skulking.

  9250. #9250materthegreater2025-01-05 21:18

    I have pictures of overloads that I've done but I can't get at them because my computer died (dog ate my homework) Oops wrong thread. I really can't keep up with how fast you post...

  9251. #9251Truck Shop2025-01-05 21:21

    I'm pretty slow really--I type with one finger-----.

  9252. #9252materthegreater2025-01-05 21:28

    You have ten fingers (I assume) and I only have two eyes. There's no way I can keep up

  9253. #9253Truck Shop2025-01-05 21:34

    I have eight fingers and two thumbs, type with my right middle finger.

  9254. #9254materthegreater2025-01-05 21:36

    I figured it was 5 middle fingers on each hand

  9255. #9255Truck Shop2025-01-05 21:39

    Sometimes I feel like that with arthritis flair ups.

  9256. #9256DMiller2025-01-06 05:53

    For me its five thumbs, all pointed the wrong way.

  9257. #9257Truck Shop2025-01-06 13:24

    It would make for a interesting wipe.

  9258. #9258Truck Shop2025-01-06 13:35

    Interesting morning in the dense fog---I had a tow at 2:30 am on I-84. I had to wear my High Viz, put on some fake tattoos, a stick-on nose ring and ear stud, with a pair of sun glasses on top of my hat to look regulation in the dark. Actually it was not good, nobody was slowing down, even with everything red and amber rotating in that kind of fog it doesn't travel far. Some real derelicts out there.

  9259. #9259Acoals2025-01-06 13:47

    You forgot to put on your beard. A long shaggy unkempt beard slows 'em down . . .

  9260. #9260mekanik2025-01-06 13:59

    10% of them were drug and or alcohol impaired.

  9261. #9261Truck Shop2025-01-06 14:04

    Oh no I had my fake ZZ Top image going.

  9262. #9262DMiller2025-01-06 14:17

    Some days Several HP cars all lights ablazing in sequential order behind you is FAR and WIDE Not Enough.

  9263. #9263Truck Shop2025-01-06 15:56

    That depends, even back in the 80's people drove as much like ******** as now, only difference is there are allot more of them now. * On a winter time fatality accident in 88, four WSP on hand---a car sped through on the open lane not slowing much as instructed by hand signals and hand held slow signs. Trooper Parker threw his six cell flashlight right through the back window of that car then jumped on the radio to a patrol car further down to stop them and a ticket for reckless driving. In those days it didn't matter who a person thought they were or how important--you didn't screw with WSP.

  9264. #9264DMiller2025-01-06 16:11

    Agree, same shietheads same issues!

  9265. #9265Truck Shop2025-01-06 16:20

    I have clarify that--allot more now--with scroungy beards driving like ********.

  9266. #9266Truck Shop2025-01-06 21:17

    In this town--I renamed a few streets, The Tausick Way 500, Myra Road 250, Alder Street 400. People don't see 35 mph limit--oh no it's 135, tailgating is so bad it's like trading paint at Talladega.

  9267. #9267DMiller2025-01-09 14:39

    Any report on that K100

  9268. #9268DMiller2025-01-09 14:39

    Or the Long Hood White?

  9269. #9269Truck Shop2025-01-09 15:06

    I'm trying to build up the stamina for a nice mouse turd sandwich. * That 68 White sold.

  9270. #9270DMiller2025-01-09 15:32

    Understand on the K Did the White go High?

  9271. #9271Truck Shop2025-01-09 16:10

    No it sold for asking price of $7,500, which for that it was normal.

  9272. #9272DMiller2025-01-09 16:11

    Thanks

  9273. #9273Truck Shop2025-01-09 21:15

    DM--look at all these porkers from down under. *

  9274. #9274Truck Shop2025-01-09 22:03

    And look at that feller just wearing shorts--now what kind of trucker would drive around in a IH Porker wearing shorts---that just ain't natural.

  9275. #9275DMiller2025-01-10 04:32

    A Aussie!

  9276. #9276Truck Shop2025-01-10 16:31

    I wonder if the other side of his hardhat is folded up? Looks like a ups driver headed for the golf coarse.

  9277. #9277petepilot2025-01-10 16:43

    we see over coats shorts and flip flops in 6 inches of snow around here

  9278. #9278Old Doug2025-01-10 17:12

    I stopped at the store on the way home . One women in shorts i am in my insulated overalls and coat.

  9279. #9279DMiller2025-01-10 17:57

    Seen that here of recent note. Both sides M&F equality!!

  9280. #9280Truck Shop2025-01-11 21:21

    With a nice homemade---honky chateau. *

  9281. #9281Pops522025-01-11 21:37

    Are those horn covers? Back then?

  9282. #9282Pops522025-01-11 21:38
  9283. #9283Truck Shop2025-01-11 21:40

    Oh Yah. *

  9284. #9284Pops522025-01-11 21:45

    I bet he slept well. When he did.

  9285. #9285Truck Shop2025-01-11 22:14
  9286. #9286Acoals2025-01-11 22:27

    What is that ? ? ?

  9287. #9287Pops522025-01-11 22:42

    That’s “lipstick on a pig” jmo of course.

  9288. #9288stinky642025-01-12 13:34

    Furniture hauler, minimal weight in trailer so they can put a 3 bedroom apartment on the chassis. Wouldn't want to navigate a subdivision with that rig.

  9289. #9289Acoals2025-01-12 14:02

    I have seen the movers with a house on the back of the truck, but that thing has a whole different cab, ect. Top mounted wipers, all angular and giant . . .

  9290. #9290Truck Shop2025-01-12 16:54

    Webster Thesaurus--and that is not a dinosaur. * Meaning of Dabble----engage in superficially, amuse oneself with, have sport with, fiddle with, flirt with, toy with, putter, idle way time, work superficially, putter around, fool with, fool around, dip into. Ant or opposite, study, work at, become an expert. * a little something for lurkers, dabblers.

  9291. #9291Truck Shop2025-01-12 17:16

    A couple favorites apparently branded just for dabblers. Even have their own dabbler store. *

  9292. #9292Acoals2025-01-12 19:03

    A thesaurus is a dictionary of synonyms, but you quoted an ordinary dictionary definition. I dabble in English a little too . . . But I still want to know what that green Peterbilt looking contraption is!

  9293. #9293Truck Shop2025-01-12 19:36

    Correct--I read directly from the thesaurus. But look-----you attracted a lurker. Funny how they like to pick my mind and just love it when they think someone has stuck their thumb on me. People have been trying that for my whole life, to no avail.

  9294. #9294Truck Shop2025-01-12 19:38

    That is a ------------------------------------secret!

  9295. #9295Oxbow2025-01-12 19:46

    Pretty much a perfect description of.............you on this forum!

  9296. #9296Truck Shop2025-01-12 19:48

    Only in your mind!

  9297. #9297Truck Shop2025-01-12 19:50
  9298. #9298Oxbow2025-01-12 19:51

    Safe to say it's not only in my mind.

  9299. #9299Truck Shop2025-01-12 19:53

    Well there is a clique on here--just good ole boys ya know, bro-mance.

  9300. #9300RedTruck11002025-01-12 20:06

    Diamond T in Nanaimo, British Columbia.

  9301. #9301RedTruck11002025-01-12 20:08

    International Truck, Nanaimo, British Columbia.

  9302. #9302Truck Shop2025-01-12 20:13

    K 11 or so.

  9303. #9303petepilot2025-01-12 22:05

    custom built for sure trailer mkd. 63 feet but might be co.#

  9304. #9304Truck Shop2025-01-12 22:09

    It's just a strange item I posted to cause wonder.

  9305. #9305petepilot2025-01-12 22:14

    its workin

  9306. #9306Truck Shop2025-01-14 21:43
  9307. #9307Truck Shop2025-01-14 21:47

    Hydrotarder--Driveline

  9308. #9308Acoals2025-01-14 21:54

    Can you at least give us some synonyms for the green Peterbilt?

  9309. #9309Truck Shop2025-01-14 21:58

    Gave those away yesterday, fresh out, take at least 6 months to a year to stock up.

  9310. #9310Truck Shop2025-01-14 22:09

    Dabbler requirements, operate construction stuff, own construction stuff, especially stuff that might only stay running for 24 hrs, because it's been dabbled with.

  9311. #9311Truck Shop2025-01-14 22:10
  9312. #9312Shimmy12025-01-14 22:13

    He doesn't know anything else unless he somehow knows the owner. It's just a random conversation piece on Instagram.

  9313. #9313Truck Shop2025-01-14 22:13

    A two stroke for Vetech. *

  9314. #9314Truck Shop2025-01-15 10:04

    This truck is just possibly the emerald of the fleet. * fedex arrived at 7 this morning with a fresh bag.

  9315. #9315Truck Shop2025-01-15 10:43

    This ad--

  9316. #9316Truck Shop2025-01-15 10:46

    Yes the world of smart ass lurkers---worthless ass douche bags---I would have worked into the ground.

  9317. #9317Acoals2025-01-15 11:56

    Quiet operation, clean exhaust! Detroit engines really must have been the way to go . . .

  9318. #9318Truck Shop2025-01-15 14:22

    The engine was cheap, and long extinct, a filthy varmint.

  9319. #9319Truck Shop2025-01-15 20:56

    Did some dabbling today---Built a new set of under frame forks for the tow truck, specifically built for those 7 lousy T990 and W900L's. I had to take two tests in early 90's for B Of R job, weld tests for pipe, pasted both. Fabricated and welded allot of items in years past--and worked for a irrigation company for two years doing nothing but welding. But I haven't done it full time for a paycheck in almost 30 years--------so that is actually to be considered {Dabbling} what I did today.

  9320. #9320petepilot2025-01-15 21:11

    some good lookin dabble

  9321. #9321Truck Shop2025-01-15 21:23

    May be----but it's still dabbling-----Not done by a professional that welds 8 hours a day. I'm a professional mechanic and experienced recovery/tow operator. I worked automotive machine years ago---that was years ago---Haven't done it for a living in forever so can't claim it as a pro. And this is where everyone likes to muddy the water with what they think they know----------------------------------------but actually don't. * Just be be glad when you eventually see a cardiologist {and you will at some point}, that his second doctorial where he really excels is a sphincter doctor.--Good Luck my friend.

  9322. #9322Truck Shop2025-01-16 07:11

    Which comes around to resumes-----the art of nonfactual buildup of personal ability. How best to word this so {I look way better at something than really am}. Most of what people do is dabbling but they like to install that dabbling in their list of credentials as being well above average in that certain task, which they are not. If in certain threads on hef about {work, money and economy} many talk as though they are some kind of expert financial adviser, a true mover and shaker with their finger on the pulse of the world economy, when in fact being a financial adviser is a bit like reading tarot cards or even thinking/saying the words crystal ball leads to total speculation. Which is truly nothing more than having the ability or thinking they have the ability to sway others opinions, because it is believed they have {sage advise or the voice of reason}. Although those categories really requires special ability as a incredible {bullsh!tter}. Which goes back to people embellishing what they can do or achieve or really know, life's resume. * A very over used term--skillset. Hence, I can-weld, frame houses, finish carpenter, heavy equipment operator, hydraulics, plumber, pipe fitter, electrician-from 115 to grand coulee, concrete, mason, heavy equipment transport, mechanic on everything-weed eaters to largest ship engines, office manager, business owner, business counselor, crane operator, pilot, farmer, logger, travel agent, mathematician, chemist, sanitation, and nuclear engineer. and last but not least a true all american halfa$$ politician--really just a average fart smeller all rolled into the resume for a job holding a shovel in construction, a very tight fit with no room left to steer from their fictional wheelhouse. And everyone is a engineer even in areas they have no degree in.

  9323. #9323Truck Shop2025-01-16 10:29

    Yes buy that old excavator or dozer because complexity is unreliable---it only takes one story about a ecm that can't be had to scare the masses---it's what social media does best, spread horsesh!t.

  9324. #9324Acoals2025-01-16 10:57

    I'll be right back guys, I need to go run and grab TS a pack of smokes and a coffee . . .

  9325. #9325Shimmy12025-01-16 13:00

    Maybe a winning lottery ticket too while you're at it??

  9326. #9326Truck Shop2025-01-16 13:17

    Pete's House Blend coffee----I don't smoke.

  9327. #9327Truck Shop2025-01-16 16:49

    I don't gamble---gambling is for losers---99.99999 {remember herman cain} who buy a ticket are losers.

  9328. #9328Truck Shop2025-01-16 21:49

    All the lurkers done ran off--ain't that a shame. Dabbling on some thread about a excavator with a leaky cylinder, for the 500th time. Or I dig best with a toro dingo.

  9329. #9329Truck Shop2025-01-16 22:07

    50% of male population want to go back to non electronic controlled engines------------ but don't screw with their cell phone--no that stays--they need that electronic toy to keep up with social media news and take photos while driving to post on {Over load of the day}. * You ever get that Pete's House blend there Acoals? I'll be waking up about 2:30 am. *I like mine on 10 cup level--the first cup it even brews, anything after that is tame.

  9330. #9330skyking12025-01-17 00:41

    I like Major Dickasons blend, myself. That guy was badass. I bet he had a resume like the one above.

  9331. #9331Truck Shop2025-01-17 10:10

    That blend is good---but, Dickason was a self impressed jackass, along with the other 65%. ------------------1980 to 1992---then suddenly it came out of it's ass kissing trance.

  9332. #9332Truck Shop2025-01-17 11:13

    On another note--The AMC 390 was a runner, despite opinions. In 1969 Hot Rod magazine had a shootout between the Boss 302, Z28 & AMX. The AMX killed the other contenders. *

  9333. #9333Truck Shop2025-01-17 11:29

    I have always thought the term {badass} was a wad of cellulose that looked like 300 lbs of used chewing gum and it smelled real bad. * View attachment 329716

  9334. #9334petepilot2025-01-17 12:57
  9335. #9335Coaldust2025-01-17 17:47

    I’d hit that threeX.

  9336. #9336Truck Shop2025-01-17 18:00

    It would take two counties to walk around it.

  9337. #9337Truck Shop2025-01-17 18:36

    One of hef's illustrious people pointed out I spelled some slang wrong, naturally there is no such thing as Freightbuilt or Freightbilt. But in any event if there was such a animal I think Freightliner would have the sense to spell it {built} rather than {bilt}. T.A. had the bad idea to spell it as though he was part of the renowned Whitakers.

  9338. #9338Truck Shop2025-01-18 17:16

    1968. *

  9339. #9339Pony2025-01-18 19:29

    That trailers to short to be a full size pig trailer, so we'll have to call it a piglet trailer. I wonder why it is so small, surely weight restrictions can't be that bad where it was operating? Tandam axle pig here is 15 metric ton ATM. Approx 33k lb.

  9340. #9340Birken Vogt2025-01-18 20:01

    Used to be common here in California. 80,000 lbs and 5 axles is all we get credit for here and this will haul about the same amount. We called it a pup trailer. Everybody moved to truck and transfer later, wagon about the same size but you put the wagon box in the main box and you go to the job site as a straight truck so the trailer/wagon can wait out on the road where there is room. Nowadays lots of super dumps have taken over the scene, the whole load on one big dump box.

  9341. #9341Shimmy12025-01-18 20:16

    Can only put 34k on that set of tandems, and only if the whole rig is long enough to bridge 80k. That trailer only needs to hold about 8 yds³.

  9342. #9342skyking12025-01-18 20:40

    Those tiny pups are a joy to load with a big loader, NOT.

  9343. #9343Truck Shop2025-01-18 20:59

    Transfer dumps came on the scene in the 40's-------Those are not farm animal trailers-- those/that type are pup trailers. And that trailer has a sliding reach. Remember average loader in those days was 966 and smaller.

  9344. #9344Shimmy12025-01-18 20:59

    Yeah, just splash it over the back. I've seen quite a few with an angle iron welded across the top of the endgate.

  9345. #9345Truck Shop2025-01-18 21:05

    Front wheel drive tiller rear, American La France 75', sales order 2385, delivered Jan 1931 Rapid City. *

  9346. #9346Truck Shop2025-01-18 21:16

    1972 12V71 powered--a later photo of it----I remember seeing this same one in 1979 at Dudley Petty fuel stop in Corning Ca. Hard to forget it with that paint color scheme & 108" cab. *

  9347. #9347Truck Shop2025-01-18 21:51
  9348. #9348Truck Shop2025-01-18 21:52
  9349. #9349Truck Shop2025-01-18 22:01

    Built in Mexico----Pena' *

  9350. #9350Truck Shop2025-01-19 22:20

    everyone got their machismo shorts pulled up to their armpits, and Mitchum B.O. repellant going----remember the ad from the late 60's early 70's for pitstop--{I didn't shower yesterday and won't today either}---it's going to get real smelly. Oh that's right--that ad was long before some were born, long, long before. * 1972 with 1673 cat--10X3. 30 ton unit only.

  9351. #9351petepilot2025-01-20 00:23

    transamerican van lines colors back in the day

  9352. #9352Truck Shop2025-01-20 20:21
  9353. #9353Truck Shop2025-01-21 08:57

    Professional Grade----?

  9354. #935456wrench2025-01-21 09:17

    I like the old-time ad but i still hate cab-overs

  9355. #9355Truck Shop2025-01-21 09:45

    Yeah I suppose cab-overs leave little to be desired, It all depends on a persons age & weight. In most cases, especially in 2025 where obesity is 48% of society--hoisting a lard ass and a belly that looks like it will explode because it's full of 4 Biscuits, 3 Sausage patty's and three pints of Sage sprinkled country Gravy, {the herb {Sage} doesn't add to ones reasoning ability or intelligence it just helps grow the belly}.----Cabovers were a item of yesteryear, and had many minus quality's but so does a conventional, In many ways it was WAY easier to replace a engine/transmission than just about 85% of conventional trucks. With cab tilted all the way steer wheels removed the shift tower could dropped out of the way leaving everything wide open. It was common for companies that had their own shops with old hands working to remove and swing a rebuilt engine in-- in 12 hours or less.

  9356. #9356Truck Shop2025-01-21 22:15
  9357. #935756wrench2025-01-22 09:40

    As far as the cabovers went, a lot of stuff was easy to work on in the engine area, but i seemed to be the one who got stuck with working on anything behind the shifter tower or doing valve/injector sets on cummins. All things said though, i did like the view from behind the wheel.

  9358. #9358Truck Shop2025-01-23 20:35

    De Soto anyone? *

  9359. #9359Truck Shop2025-01-23 20:37

    California built/manufactured--1951 Cook with one of those real early transfer dumps I referred to earlier. *

  9360. #9360JaredV2025-01-23 21:00

    Is that a Ford cab?

  9361. #9361Truck Shop2025-01-23 21:26

    Correct.

  9362. #9362Junkyard2025-01-23 21:57

    He’s got two of mine. Baby Huey (the C500) and a B81SX I had.

  9363. #9363Truck Shop2025-01-23 22:11

    And my 1960 Mack--funny how things seem to migrate to Manchester, he has a bunch more not listed.

  9364. #9364Junkyard2025-01-23 22:24

    He won’t sell a single thing either. He bought several from Tocci. The AC Mack and another that escapes me. A few years ago a guy came in and bought all his trucks, models, pics and watch fobs for a museum he’s building in Sallisaw. Same guy bought my A-car.

  9365. #9365Truck Shop2025-01-24 04:59

    It's said by some once there never to see the light of day again.

  9366. #9366Truck Shop2025-01-24 10:08

    This LT---I see finally sold. Brian Thibault owner of Joseph Equipment who bought my truck, discussed having me extend the hood on this LT. I told him I wasn't interested at the time for the simple fact I was just more than tired from the one I just sold him. He wanted it lengthened roughly 8", strange for the fact it already has a long hood. *

  9367. #9367Truck Shop2025-01-24 21:50

    https://www.tiktok.com/video/7461622713338170646

  9368. #9368materthegreater2025-01-25 10:07

    That's pretty impressive. Do you suppose a full size truck could do the same thing?

  9369. #9369Truck Shop2025-01-25 14:07

    I don't think there would be a need for it.

  9370. #9370Truck Shop2025-01-25 21:27
  9371. #9371Truck Shop2025-01-25 21:28
  9372. #9372Truck Shop2025-01-25 21:29
  9373. #9373Truck Shop2025-01-25 21:55

    The ad above--48 years ago, most on here weren't born or if they were they had yellow & brown diapers.

  9374. #9374petepilot2025-01-25 22:14

    72 rust buckets

  9375. #9375skyking12025-01-26 00:04

    That had two of my sister's/ Brother in laws cars in one ad. They had an early Vega for a few years. My dad borrowed it and wiped the front end out hitting a great Dane that ran out in front of him. Sister got stuck in an intersection in Yakima when the stick just came off the transmission linkage and she was stuck in neutral. Under warranty. When it was a few weeks old, it blew a head gasket on the way to Las Vegas with a family caravan, and the Datsun 510 had to haul 9 while it got fixed at a Reno dealer. I was not along for that trip, phew! It was really a lemon. The other was that Monte Carlo. It was Jack's first car with hand controls. He had an old school folding wheelchair and he would just drag it into the back seat behind him, it was possible with that long door and the seat forward. He came home from Harborview and got that 74' and had the hand controls put in.

  9376. #9376Truck Shop2025-01-26 07:55

    Those are all 1977's in that ad--the only year the pickup molding/side trim came painted yellow in center.

  9377. #9377Truck Shop2025-01-26 08:17

    MOD EDIT From the rules: You have been warned. CM

  9378. #9378mekanik2025-01-26 08:57

    I had a 77 Monte Carlo with a 305 in it.

  9379. #9379skyking12025-01-26 11:42

    yes. it is kind of rare that the Vega, which was a 72, and the Monte a 74 are both still getting built in 77. It was the last year period for that Vega, and the last year of the second generation Monte.

  9380. #9380mekanik2025-01-26 11:52

    1972 to 1977 six years of production of the Vega. That would be at least six cylinder heads if you wanted to keep one running. It had a overhead cam four cylinder that had an aluminium head and a cast iron block. The camshaft bores were part of the head casting. The head gasket was a problem it would fail and overheat the engine and the head would warp. You couldn't resurface the head as the cam bores would no longer be aligned.

  9381. #9381Truck Shop2025-01-26 13:44

    Well that's exactly what has been done by following me. but that is ok apparently.

  9382. #9382Truck Shop2025-01-26 16:04

    That post of july 2nd that was allowed to hang.

  9383. #9383CM19952025-01-26 17:40

    Thread temporarily closed for moderator review.