Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 175 straight frame loader – Help

DustyOne ยท 2009-08-12 16:39

Help is needed again. Some day I will find a parts manual , I hope. I have this 1960 Michigan 175 straight frame loader with a 4 cylinder Detroit motor. I have a grapple fork on the bucket and been moving hay, it can easily pick up two bales at a time and been working great. All of sudden, not enough pressure to grasp the bales tight enough, and is only working to pick up one bale. So put more oil into the tank, that did not work. My question is this, can anyone tell me where a hydraulic filter be installed on the unit, does it have one ? I have followed the lines from tank to the pump, cannot see anything that resembles a filter container. The rest of the machine works fine so thinking pump is still working as it should be. Any ideas and instructions on possible filter location ? thanks Dusty one

Replies5
  1. #1Komatsu 1502009-08-12 19:07

    There is no filter that I can think of. The window is meant to come out to clean the tank but I don't think there is a strainer in the tank either. If you like I can scan some pages from the manuals but mine is a 1957 so there's probably some differences.

  2. #2guojing25992009-08-13 00:58

    Its none of the oil business.i think: 1.Safety Valves adjustment is not good,the pressure is low. 2.suction pipe and packed bed filter build up 3.oil pump is oil leak. 4.need replace multitandem valve.

  3. #3pinesd34002009-08-13 04:41

    All I can add is, my Trojan similar to a 175 is in the tank. If you find a round cover on the tank ill bet its in there. Mine screws on the suction pipe. sam

  4. #4Komatsu 1502009-08-13 08:10

    There is a round glass cover maybe 6" diameter. After all those years with no filters a good cleaning of the tank will probably turn up all kinds of debris. It's been at least 25 years since I've cleaned one and I can't remember if there was a screen or not.

  5. #5DustyOne2009-08-13 09:48

    2599 How about the control lever unit that goes directly to the cylinder that runs the grapple fork and /or how about the cyclinder itself, could the problem be within those two units ? The rest of the machine runs okay. These control unit and cyclinder were plumbed separately into the loaders main system after we purchased the machine.