Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Michigan 75A engine rebuild vs repower

kent_323is ยท 2015-07-21 16:39

Guys, After replacing the starter to get my payloader up and running, I worked on diagnosing a no-spark problem. I traced it back to the internal gears from distributor to camshaft being stripped!!! I also discovered some water in 3 of the cylinders, and the oil was pretty thick in the crankcase. So now the question is to rebuild the engine or replace it with something else? It is a 75A Michigan, series 1, with what appears to be a Waukesha 190, based on the engine castings of 190320H and 1K100E. I would rather not throw a bunch of money on a rebuild and have it drag out for a lot of time as more and more parts get discovered that need replacement, so a replacement may be a better route. What other engines fit to the bellhousing and motor mounts? Anyone have a decent running motor that they're interested in selling that would fit? I'm in north eastern SD. I could also use a replacement tire(s), 14.00 x 24, used would be fine. Thanks Kent

Replies3
  1. #1wrangler2015-07-22 21:01

    Try to find the parts manual on Minnpar.The important part would be that the torque converter bolts up to the bell housing.Some of those loaders used the gas engine as well as Detroit or Cummins.Tthey all may be the same size bell housing.If you are in farming country a swather with a Ford industrial motor may be a canadate for a replacement engine.Depends if you want to stay with gas or swap to diesel.

  2. #2kent_323is2015-07-22 23:22

    I did find the parts manual and the operators manual. It does confirm that it is a Waukesha 190GLB (gas) engine. It shows the parts listing that are in the torque convertor, but no further information on dimensions to use for what it will fit to. It only lists the Waukesha gas, and Waukesha diesel engines as options. I think some of the later version might have been powered by the Detroit or Cummins, but I don't know that for sure. I'm more partial to the gas version, as that's what it's all set up for. If I knew a Ford industrial engine would fit, I'd be fine with that. I just don't want to get it all apart, have a motor that should fit, and then it's off by a small amount and won't work.

  3. #3pinesd34002015-07-25 09:23

    We have done that. If you have a mill and a lathe thats all you need for an adaptor plate. My case a Trojan with 264 IH gas. Plate to adapt a 302 Ford V8 10 times more power 10 times quieter.. hardest part was fabbing the exhaust I'm just a sayin