I have an old Michigan Clarke 95B straightframe loader and need some help from the readers. I had what I shall call an outer axle that has about five big ball bearings on the rear steering axle disintegrate. I took it apart and removed it and now operating in two wheel drive. I cannot find a serial number on the machine although I have washed it clean, any advice on finding it would be helpful. All Michigan parts managers that I have called will first need a machine serial number to identify the model and year. Secondly, any advice on a good salvage shop or parts company that I could call , your assistance is greatly appreciated. :usa
mistake on loader numbers hello readers, i meant a 75B , not a 95B michigan loader thanks dustyone:Banghead
Sounds like you need a new cv joint.... I hope they are cheaper than the ones for a rear steer cat.. about $1200 for aftermarket.
Are you sure it's a "B", I thought only the "A"s were straight frame? Never done it but I've heard of people measuring a ball from the other side and buying just the balls from a bearing house. I would think rest of it would be shot if the balls disintegrated.
Totally not sure about being an A or B model. I seen a picture in this forum posted and have made that assumption. It has the wrong decals on it, so that is not any help. It is a straight frame loader with a 4 cy -71 detroit motor in it. If i can find a serial number, mostly likely would be my best aid in finding the right part. Yes, the axle cone ( bearings ) totally blew apart.
My mistake, I looked through the 75A parts manual and there was a straight frame 75B (2 wheel drive rear steer) and a 75R (2 wheel drive front steer). Never seen either one. Usually parts books show where to look for the serial number but no luck. If you want I can look at our old 75A and see if can spot the number. Ours is serial no. 8498D with a Waukesha although I know they put various engines in there. If it is a 75, there is no way a 4-71 would fit. Our 175A has a 4-71 and that motor is huge. Maybe a 53 or 2-71 ?
Thanks. It has a decal that says 175 on it, but is not. I will look tonight at the motor just to make sure on the motor. In any case, if i can find the serial number, then i am in business to start talking parts and even with a salvage place. Right now i am talking the unknown.
Maybee some pics here would trigger some other members that know all the details..
That is a great idea, will take a few pics tonight when i get home and then attempt to get onto the sight..........thanks mktef.
I looked on our 75 and couldn't find a number. It's been a long time but I really don't remember seeing it. The number I posted was from the parts manual that came with the machine when we purchased it (good grief in 1964).
A 175 Michigan would have a bigger engine than a 4 71 in it.The ones that shipped with Detroits had 8v71s in them in my area.I suppose it is possible that the old straight frame loaders could have used them but any articulated loader that I have seen from Michigan would have been very underpowered with a 4 71.Ron G
I am sure that it is a 4-71. Our175A was repowered by a previous owner. I think it originally had a Cummins. The 4-71 really fills it up under the hood, that's why I couldn't believe the 75A could have one. The later articulated 175 was at least twice the size of the straight frame, maybe triple. Well, maybe I exaggerate but there is a huge difference in size. Seems like many companies used to do this with their models as they came out with the new series. Look at the Cat 955. The H model weighed less than 25000 lbs. The last model the L was 37000 lbs.
I have verified that the loader i am talking about is a 1966 straight frame Model 75 B loader - Michigan. There is a current picture on www.machinery.com just a FYI. Now to find the serial number on the machine.
I tried twice to see that picture but it just ain't worth it........I trust you.LOL.Ron G
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6504885&GUID=46EF3E9D18BC4ACB99608BA71CAE1BDD If it works that is a link to a 1966 75B on MachineryTrader.com It looks exactly like a 75A.
The serial number tag is supposed to be on the inside of the cab mounted on the side down by your right calf, made of stainless and about 4 x 5.5 inches, there is also a brass tag on the front of tranny that should have a model number. The specs for a 75a and a 75 b are vertually the same but the 75A is a bit heaver and can lift a thousand lb.s more. The picture could be a a 75B but looks the same as my 75A. I'm certainly no expert but if the only difference in a 3-53 and 4-53 is length then a 4-53 would fit in a 75A as the radiator can be moved back quite a bit.
folks i was able to travel today and look at the loader that was at the machinery/loader dealer in aberdeen sd, which the picture is listed on www.machinerytrader.com and the 75B loader was significantly smaller then the loader that i have. Now i am starting to believe that the decal on my loader which says it is a 175 model perhaps is true. My loader looks exactly as the 75B loader except bigger tires, bucket, engine. So i am back to the identity crisis once again.
Why not post a couple of good pictures of your loader with the wheelbase, width, and engine side view shots especially of the manifold and pump, that should clear things up. The guys on this forum have owned or own just about every piece of old iron that was ever made. I have manuals with all the size specs. as well.
It's too bad S. Dakota is a long Drive. My 175A lost it's engine while pushing snow (coolant in a cylinder last December). It's going to go pretty soon, would have made a good parts machine for you.
tom great idea and as soon as i can get north into a hayfield, will get a couple pics for the experts to advise thanks komotsu...........
Hello folks I continue in my search for the needed part number and also identity to my loader. I was able to contact my local mechanic who has done a bit of motor work on my machine and he verifies that it is a Model 175 Fixed frame loader and stated that not many machines were made. He also gave me a parts outlet and a fellow who immediately came up with a part number of 109948 for the busted axle but now it comes down to the serial number once again. It seems that there is a 175 series I and series II machine and each has a different axle number. So gaining ground on what machine i have and hopefully find the right part.
I have a 75A with a waukasau 6 cyl gas. The serial number is a metal plate riveted right side inside the cab above the floorboard on the cross member. Might very well been removed?
Just joined. I have a Michigan 75B-C. It has an identification plate on the hood. Easy to see, but still can't get parts for it. I need a new(used) valve for the boom and bucket. Anybody have any ideas?
i have a michigan 125a loader clark trans gas moter wwhen first start takes time before in moves. then works grest if you shut it off for a hour it loses all prime in converter and takes a bit to move again what do i do
ok heares my ? i have a 125a same thing. i draind the rear diff. know if i refill it does it also fill the housing were the outer ball is? and what are the side plugs on the housing the ball goes in how do i drain those or does the diff drain that? and what oil goes in them? thanks for all help
If you're talking about the ball around the steering pivot point (can't remember what it's called - trunnion maybe?) it does not drain with the dif. They were meant to be filled level with the plug. Only way to drain was dis-assembly - however there was a service bulletin recommending conversion to grease as these always leaked when they had oil in them. Drill a hole in the plug and tap for fitting.
thank you very much
what oil should i put in the diffs then?
90EP gear oil, same oil as in a conventional truck rear end. Check the oil level before draining, if overfull it means there is oil leaking past a seal and one of the planetaries is losing oil to the dif. Not that big a deal, just need to keep up on oil levels.
i have a 1955 75a michigan i had easy steering now its hard to steer it still steers but its a little harder any ideas? and would someone want to sell me a manual for a 75a straight frame loader it has the 190 gas waukbasha engine 6 cyl thanks Ross
I have a manual, with parts on CD I can copy and send to you. if you steering was previously sloppy then the crappy steering gear box that they put on those machines is likely worn out, I will send you the name of a place in Vegus that sells rebuilt ones that are an exact fit. Seems to me it was about $250.00 with exchange. I'll get back to you later, off to work now. I assume you have checked to be sure the hydralic pump for the steering is working correctly? Fluid is at proper level?
Our 75a always had very light steering. Could be something mechanical (unlikely) or a pump or flow problem. There is a test port on the end of the hydraulic cylinder which is also the control valve and a pressure setting for the pop off valve. Pressure shouldn't normally need adjustment although I did have a broken spring once. Pressure should be 950 to 1000 lbs. I remember the pressure port being an allen plug and you can test by putting a block between tire and frame while someone cranks the wheel and revs the engine. Of course please be careful. I have the manual scanned but it's too big to e-mail. If you want a CD of it PM me. On edit: what is shown as a steering booster in the diagram is actually the power steering control valve.
that would be great thank my address is 78 orangemill crt. Orangeville, on, Canada l9w3r6
i dont know how to use this computer stuff to well yet but my e-mail is [email protected]
Michigan 95A/125A The difference between the series I and II models is that on the series I machines you have to crawl over the boom arms to enter the operators station. On the series II machines,the operators station wasmoved rearward and the operator entered the machine behind thr boom frame.-oletrkr
I think most of the 175 A series 1's had 4-71's. I have a series 2 with a 6v-71 both straight frame loaders. I have a number of a place in Indianapolis good with old clark michigan parts. "RUDD" 1-317-247-9125
1963 Case W7D 4x4 Wheel Loader I just bought this old wheel loader. I.D. #8208033. Model W7D. The Case Co. people say that there is no such model. Only W7C and W7E. The 4 cyl diesel engine is model 301,- I. D. 2033124. Can someone out there help me figure this mystery out? I would like to obtain a shop manual for this machine. Many Thanks, Lorens N. Lindberg Tel. 802 226-7185 or e-mail at [email protected]