I'm looking at an older L70. I've had both Cat and JD, but am unfamiliar with the L70. It will be used to build farm roads and clear some brushy timber. Likely 300 hrs/yr max. Other than some expected lift pin slop, the hydraulics are tight and the reman engine has less than 1000 hours. My question is the trans feels softer than the Cats I'm used to. It will not spin the tires when eased into a heavy dirt bank. It pushes hard enough to roll a,non heaping, load but no extra "grunt". Is that by design or is the trans showing significant wear. Is there another way to test? The machine is local, and the price is 10k, but I don't need an expensive project. Thanks to all for any advice
Welcome to the forums. First thing is , let's determine what you're working with. Is it a VME, or a Volvo or a Volvo BM? Pics would go a long way if you're unsure. Is the APS in light or heavy? Is the gear selector in F1? Are you reaching full throttle? Nearly any loader associated with Volvo will throw an alarm if you had clutch slippage. Even the clunky old VMEs. Not to say you might have a loosey goosey convertor, but it's unlikely.