The next one is of a 600 ton manitowoc in KSA which resulted in the loss of two lives The nearly new crane during a simple lift the sling snapped dropped the load ,the jib flipped back over the cab landing on the piperack and office killing the two. The link below has more information http://www.hss.energy.gov/csa/analysis/electrical/jit_2006-02.pdf
Cranes do do that... I often wonder how u manage to flop a Grove of the rear ...It must have been a suspended or high load and it got cut loose ..
check out the link some more info there http://www.hss.energy.gov/csa/analysis/electrical/jit_2006-02.pdf
I was reffering to the hydraulic ...but GEEEZ thanks for the info on that crawler mishap ...awesome info ..
I wounder if the grove had "free fall".My tm250 has the free fall option,It's the far lever to the right .It has a safety catch to keep you from accidently engaging it.On the tm250 it was an option,not all of them had it.I dont think I would be comfortable running a crane without free fall.
Free fall or not if a load is being picked of the ground or walked out close to the ground ...it would take a major brain fart or mis-information to stand her up like that... slow and easy wins the race ...also knowing the charts helps a bunch ...Ive seen a few up on their ends ..ive right'ed two 35's ton groves and a 40 in in my career (not mine i was on the standing crew ).. only one was of the rear... it was out over a hole and 4 part line couldnt get rid of it ...no weigh load(she was overloaded) , ground collapse, in suffcient blocking were contrbuting factors .. but we noticed there was room to put it down near the bottom and carry on away from the crane but the operator was looking for a nice smooth arc ..It sucked for him ..he's a great guy ..and done thousands of lift's .. TMS 300 Tms 350 yes they were optional on those as well only eavr saw one with it and it was locked out ..couldnt use it ...From my experience ..free fall can get you into alot more trouble than it can get you out ...Ive never seen it ..but heard talk from more experienced guy's that the cable can over run the sheaves ,wobble and jump ..binding up the cable at the block or head on multiple part line .. causing a catastrophic failure of boom and cable .. But it rocks when yer into cycle and production work ..you can stand that ball up right in front of the guy ..
I've had a 375 on two legs more than once, but never nothing like that! Geez, ruined a nice rig.
The grove in the pic look's like a 375 or 475.I wounder what happens to a crane after an accident like that,rebuild,scrap it,part it out?
Taken off another site Once upon a time, though I won't say exactly when, M. J. Spott had a brand-new truck crane and a (relatively-)brand-new operator at an unspecified (by me) location when this unfortunate, and VERY embarrassing, occurrence occurred (shall we say they were in a Spott of trouble?): This occurred after the load was yanked and the operator was removing the counterweights and reacted too slowly when he started to overbalance. added. The worst possible advertising; one can not but feel sorry both for the company and for the hapless operator, but I can't really be blamed for this further Spott of fun at their expense, now, can I?
I figured it would have been something high that got funky ...the Old truck mount Groves are very forgiving of the rear
Quote from Stock "operator reacted too slowly". Wow! I've had a couple of lifts that started to get in a Spott, never had that reaction. Whenever I was making a lift with load block, meaning heavy lift, I always took the time to tell everyone on the site to stay clear of the load for the "just in case" circumstances. The few times it has happened, fortunately the lifts haven't been terribly high off the ground; it's been boom down, cable out, boom in, and pegged out throttle while blowing the horn button all at the same time. I'm throwing it away before I drop that rig! What a waste of a nice Grove.
I hope and pray that I wont let myself get in that circumstance,but when the time come's,I will hit the "freefall".Always take the lesser of two evil's.
operator error I surmise ,so no point in free spooling when your unloaded but overextended. Stock