Ok, so for quite a few years I have wanted to make a micro grader. The intended use would be that of a grader of course, however, the reason for the micro is multi-part. Grading two track roads (cottage roads with grass in the middle). I want to be able to grade one track at a time, without disturbing the center grass. I have envisioned hacking apart an old riding mower that I have. Moving the engine behind the drive wheels and making a whole new front end for it. (it's an old 13HP craftsman (I think!). Currently for the road I use a tow behind blade grader that I made. It has a very narrow blade (somewhere between 18" and 24") and I tow it behind my ATV. My dad stands on the grader frame to steer it and for downforce weight. It works really well, but I want to go to the next step and make something that can be run by one person. There are other problems with the tow behind, like turning around, and there is very little blade adjustment (3 set positions) So... My thoughts at this point; Please excuse my lack of proper knowledge of the correct terms - I'm new to graders! -Start with the mower as a base, reconfigure the important bits -Weld up a fwd frame -use a 2" hitch ball as the attachment point for the blade rig. I would like to be able to have a few different attachments, and I figure a hitch ball makes a nice quick release, though I would have to make quite a few moldboards... -I'd like to keep many of the linkages mechanical, but if something proves that it would be much better off hydraulic, I would run a power steering pump off the 2nd pulley on the crank (where the mower deck used to get power) My questions?; How important is the ability to have the wheels lean? I could do it on the front, but it would be impossible on the back. Is a 2" hitch ball a bad idea? I figure it will be able to swing to one side or the other (controlled) as well as pivot side to side (controlled). Should be strong enough! This would also allow for me to use any of the attachments behind my ATV if so desired. (not controlled!) I have most of the stuff to make this, so it shouldn't cost much (until I get into the hydraulics!) Am I crazy? Has anyone done this, or seen it done already? All input is welcome!! Thanks!
Oh, by the way... I don't mean just making a moldboard that fits where the mower deck was... I am going to stretch out the wheelbase, and make it look like a grader (except for the dual rear wheels)
Ok, had to play in google sketchup... Didn't draw the whole thing myself, infact, I stole most of it from other models (started with a lawn mower, and a grader) Just made the bits between (the front frame and the engine box)
How about putting bigger tires on the back, keeping the motor on the front and stretching the frame to put the blade under the motor. I am thinking of something like the old Farmall or AC patrol graders or more recently a Huber.
Neat idea. I have been thinking about the same type of thing for a while. I have about 1/2 mile of driveway to maintain, and as much as I would like a real grader, I just can't afford one. I have a wheel dozer which makes it nice and smooth, but it pushes the loose rock out toward the ditches. I need a small machine with an angled blade to bring the loose stuff back to the center.
Interesting idea - I've seen the old farmall type. My thoughts were to keep as much weight over the rear wheels as possible - I think traction will be my biggest problem. I will add a few cinder-blocks at the frotn axle. Moving the motor behind the operator position would also narrow up the body in the front, allowing a better view of the blade. Clawed Backster; I really think this could be simple cheap and easy to build. In fact - I can't stop thinking about doing it - so I'm just going to start! The nice thing about working with steel - you can always cut it apart and change it later!! I'll keep this thread updated with pics of the build, and of course, questions!
I think weight may be a problem,just thinking about a 1.5ton mini excavator and how little they can push and they use a track.....
Stock - based on past experience, I don't think weight will be a problem with the really narrow blade. Remember, it's only going to be a few feet wide, and only needs to go down maybe an inch? The set up that we have been using has only the weight of my dad, and it cuts the gravel really well. The "FrankenGrader" (must be something to do with haloween) is going to weigh much more! (De)Construction has started - I'll post some pictures later!
What is wrong with a 4' york rake?
it's 2' too wide! (and many times there is no loose gravel, it needs to be cut) That is essentially what we are using now, but it's a 2' blade on a setup like that.
FrankenGrader Well, it's started. Not sure how it will work, but I'm going to find out! Still lots more work to get done on it, a lot of re-enforcing and I have to connect all the controls back up (modify the clutch, figure out the steering, make controls for the articulation...) then still have to make all the parts to get the moldboard under there!! Here are a few pics...
That is going to be pretty cool when you are done! I love seeing custom fab work
That looks pretty cool! Can't wait to see more progress on it!
Well, you have my attention now. Honestly at first, I thought you were crazier than hell to attempt to convert a lawn mower into a grader, but now I'm not so sure. Good luck with your project and keep those pics rolling in.
There might be a small market for just such a machine. Would probably work well for prepping to pour a sidewalk, and other very small jobs. keep us up to date on your progress.
+1 It's official. You now have fans. Is there anyway we as a group can keep up with your progress on Twitter?
What a twitter ? well apart from a bird that is,keep the pictures coming roddyo .
Saukville Tractor Has anyone ever seen a Saukville Tractor. It looks a lot like your micro grader. www.saukvilletractor.com Anyways, your idea looks like a good one. Keep up the good work!
Thanks guys - I'll definitely keep you posted!! Unfortunately, I'm away for the rest of the week so all I can do is think about how I'm going to do the next bits... I'm thinking foot pedals would be the best for articulation - push left to go left, push right to go right. Linked up with bell cranks and ridged rods. Similar to a tail wheel on a taildragger airplane. I have a set of hydraulic cylinders and two 12V trim pumps for the moldboard tilt/lift/lower. I'm sure they are beefy enough to be up to the task! If they do prove strong enough, I could also get a set for the articulation (1 trim pump, two cylinders hooked up opposite) For rotating the moldboard I'll probably go with a manual system, pull a pin, lower one side with the hydraulics and drive forward - that would swing that side of the blade back. Not sure if I will be able to make the blade swing 360 for back dragging... but it would be neat! Other method for rotation would be with cord, similar to how steering used to be hooked up on Outboard motors. (cable wound around a drum, routed through pulleys for a pull/pull system) Might even be able to find an old cable steering system from a boat for the steering. (could flex with the articulation) The steering is definitely going to be the hardest part!! it's a long way up there and I have to deal with the articulation. If I can't get a marine cable steering system easily, I might have to set something up with a u-joint and bellcranks to get around all the corners!! Stay tuned - I'll update with pics when I can!
That's gotta be about the closest I've seen!! (no blade though!) Can't wait to get this thing all done up & painted yellow!! If only I had a couple grand floating around to go all hydraulic controls!
Away next week eh? Must be Deer Hunting
It looks like a fun project. One thing you may want to think about-and I don't know how important this will be- whenever you alter the wheelbase on a vehicle (excluding track type, unicycle, or pogo stick) you will be changing the steering geometry. We don't know how well it was designed or manufactured on your original riding mower, but in theory, in turns, all tires should circle around a common point. If they do, your steering tires will not be fighting with each other, turns will be made tighter, and tires will scuff less. Even with your articulation, think about the geometry. It may or may not be worth the trouble, but this is how the big companies do it, and this is how I would do it, too. If you search Ackerman steering geometry, also called toe out in turns, you will find lots of useful information on this subject. I've had experience with altered wheelbase trucks used for short hauls, with lots of turning, and they seem to develop some strange wear patterns compared to unaltered similar wheelbased trucks doing the same work. Best of luck with your project. smoothoperator...didn't write the book, but I have read a few
We have this TV show here in Canada called Prairie Farm Report. its all about farming inovations and inventions, and how they do other things to supplement life on the farm. A few years ago they had a retired who made a grader just like you are, and if I remember right, it had all the functions except wheel lean that a larger machine has. I do remember it had a ripper as well. I have looked through all the videos that they have for sale, and although there is a lot of really cool inventions, I cant find any mention of it. I will keep looking and try to find more information
Nope, actually in Baltimore doing training on fixed fire supression systems for Marine applications.... (sounds more fun than it is!):Banghead
Yup & Yup... Steering on the mower is very tight... it was designed to be able to turn very sharp! I believe it is ackerman steering, the inside wheel turns sharper than the outside wheel. Somewhat familliar with that - understand the concept. I don't think there would be much I could do to improve the steering radius, I know it's not going to be as good as the mower was, but I hope it's better than my crew cab long box. (61' turning radius!) I have not modified the steering on the axle, but I will have to modify how it was connected to the steering wheel.... need some flex in there!
I've seen that on the guide a few times but never watched it. Usually on HGTV right? Would love to see what someone else did - if you find any info please let me know! Thanks!
i get it here in calgary sunday mornings on a CTV, but it could be on hgtv. should git it a watch some time. the farm inventions and shops are interesting, but in not a big fan of the livestock stuff.
Micro grader Has there been any progress with your project? If so.........We need pics!!!
Nope, sorry guys no movement lately- lost it's spot in the garage for a bit. Have collected a few nice bits of steel that will come in useful later in the build... Stay tuned- more to come but in time!!
Check out this video of a home made grader! YouTube - Home Made Road Grader
Bobcat makes a grader attachment for their skid steer loaders. Maybe you could find a used one cheap and adapt it to your project. Should be cheaper than building everything for the blade from scratch. Good Luck! http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/grader