Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mile marker hydraulic winch disassembly help

John V ยท 2023-02-08 11:48

Hey all, so I have some internal damage in the gearbox of my mile marker 12000 lb hydraulic winch. I'm trying to get the thing apart but not having much luck with it. They sent me a parts stackup, attached below. I've tried whacking the drum off with a deadblow, and using a gear puller, to no avail. I'm not understanding what could be binding this thing up. Seems like theres three planet gears attached to the drum, they mesh with a ring and sun gear, but otherwise nothing is holding it from being pulled out.

Replies4
  1. #1heymccall2023-02-08 16:00

    Is #23 impeding removal?

  2. #2Old Doug2023-02-09 08:24

    Is 23 something to holed the cable? Is something come apart and the pieces are bound up?

  3. #3John V2023-02-09 13:25

    yes 23 is for holding the winch cable. Its reasonable to assume something's come apart in the gearbox. It wasn't able to engage in anything except high gear. Low gear didn't work, neither did free spool. Looking at the parts stackup though, I'm having trouble figuring what could have come undone to bind it up so badly. I damn near wrecked the threads on the gear puller with no progress.

  4. #4John V2023-02-09 13:27

    on second look, I've figured out why the gear puller isn't working. All it's doing it pushing the drive shaft into the planet gear carrier, which is attached to the drum assembly. Whoops. I guess the only way to get it out is to whack is with a hammer.