Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mill across america

sandbox ยท 2009-04-15 21:26

Im looking for work and Im even willing to travel and ive been looking for companies that mill across america can you guys help me out?

Replies33
  1. #1milling_drum2009-04-17 20:29

    Are you that person from Youtube with the comments about how boring removals are? Anyways, try Villager Construction out of Rochester, NY, they are all over the east coast of America. Or try Valentine out of Washinton state, they are all over the western States. There isn't a company I know of thats coast to coast. Good luck

  2. #2sandbox2009-04-18 00:51

    no thats not me haha ok thats i already applied to villager

  3. #3griz2009-05-14 14:10

    try donegal in greensburg pa. for a start. MILL IT UP...GRIZ.

  4. #4milling_drum2009-05-16 20:30

    Hey, Hubbard Construction (Jax,Fl) need a water truck driver that knows how to run the ground as well. Texop (Ft Worth, Tx) can always use another operator (all Wirtgen). Anybody who has a couple of machines that can be run will be going full blast this year most certainly always need people.

  5. #5Blue Collar2010-02-20 11:34

    It was on the internet where Pavement Products & Services Inc out of Piedmont, SC was looking for help right now. It didnt say what the pay is, but its worth a shot, looks like they are a good outfit but i dont have a clue once ya get south of kentucky.

  6. #6Turtle2010-02-27 13:56

    Turtle Southeast / East Coast Milling Turtle is looking for operators who have a Class A CDL. Work is throughout Florida and south Georgia. www.turtlese.com

  7. #7Blue Collar2010-02-27 14:44

    whats the pay scale in florida

  8. #8milling_drum2010-02-27 14:52

    Florida pay scales are extremely low. I was told comming in with a Class a CDL and close to 15 years of milling experience I might get $12 an hour. Years ago I worked for East Coast Milling and was treated badly by management and poorly paid, they purposely kept hours below 50, so overtime wasn't possible. With all due respect to Turtle, this was before ECM was bought out by Turtle. The fella that actually started this thread hasn't returned to this forum atall, I'd like to know where he wound up.

  9. #9Blue Collar2010-02-27 14:57

    nothing against florida, but that is sad, and further more ya cant even live off of that. Up north here its 70% more.

  10. #10milling_drum2010-02-27 15:04

    Yes sir, I know the story all to well. I do not even bother looking for work in Florida anymore. Lotsa good folks like Mr Ando and Turtle are down there but its simply impossible to survive on the wage scale there. The state has prevailing wage for a mill operator at around $8 per hour. Adam Rowgowski the vice president at PP&S (mentioned above) showed me that years ago and its still the same to this day. Worked for an outfit in Miami that get away with paying their operators minimum wage. Believe it.

  11. #11andoman2010-02-27 19:18

    NC isn't much better, I just got done bidding a job where a fine grade grader operators prevailing wage was $8.50 / hour, and if he was grading subgrade $7.78 / hour.

  12. #12Turtle2010-02-27 23:03

    Wages in Fla It must have been a while ago that you guys were down her. Check the FDOT web site. The wages have gone up drastically. Ofcourse all of our experienced guys are well above the min. and are still getting OT even with the slow down. We also have an excellent benefit package including Health Insurance and a 401K plan. We start trainees at $12.00. If you have experience your scale would depend on what you know and who you worked for. None of our guys have any problem making a good living down here. As for Mr Rogalski's comment, well you have to consider the source.

  13. #13Blue Collar2010-02-28 10:17

    water truck guys up here make $25 to 26$/hr, mill operator gets $29/hr on his check, i'll stay in the north where it is cold.

  14. #14Blue Collar2010-02-28 10:38

    I got nothing against your company, because it looks and sounds like turtle is the top gun down there, i just cant believe how big of a gap there is in wages. Hows the work picture in florida this year, still down or growing again. You guys in those sunny states always bounce back first it seems like.

  15. #15milling_drum2010-02-28 11:49

    Theres another outfit down in Florida called Mill-it Corporation. Back in 1995 I spent some time with them at $8 an hour. For that I had to drive a water truck/lowboy/operate and run the ground when needed........bet that didn't last long...

  16. #16milling_drum2010-02-28 12:06

    As for Adam....he's actually alright....its the people he puts his trust in that cost him so much. The underbidding he was doing back in the 90's at while at Delta was because he inherited a company that had NO machine payments or responsibilty towards financing and he did what he thought was necessary. What happened with Polings was pretty much Matts doing....I hear they run the show at PP&S now... I remember being in NC close to I 95 and see a Di fiore Ingersoll on a lowboy on its way to Florida around 1999. I was furious because I know the name was northern and they were comming into Florida to take up where Delta had lost their @sses due to nobody taking care machines. Difiore obviously are gone and left ECM....then Turtle comes and bails ECM out. Donegal owned Delta are gone from Florida although they still poke around. They still own Delta Contracting in NC. Interesting in Florida was the split between the Mill-it bunch. Something nasty happened between the shareholders/owners and now theres yet another milling company less that a mile from Mill-it in direct competition with them. Down in south Florida every paving operation that didn't have a mill in the 90s does now....at last count theres well over 70 mills in Florida running.

  17. #17hoosier2010-02-28 13:21

    I am from Indiana (sunny side of louisville) worked out of local 181 for many years operating cranes and dozers etc... the pay was per hour was great but without much overtime. I make less per hour of course where I am now,but with overtime and being able to work pretty much year around I make alot more yearly here versus being in Indiana.I do think I may go work for mid america milling in jeffersonville once the wife retires and we move back to the farm in indiana in a few years. On the work available note,the company I am with has alot of work since the first of the year and Alot on the schedule but the amount of rain has pushed alot of it back. Leaving for gainesville,fl. tuesday to do some widening work for a week or so.

  18. #18milling_drum2010-02-28 13:36

    Good to see ya Hoosier, I'm glad they are keeping you busy and the machines are running ok. Mill across America....I've milled in the following states: Florida/Georgia/North Carolina/South Carolina/Mississipi/Alabama/Louisiana/Texas/Oklahoma/Tennesse/Connecticut/Massachusetts/New York/North Dakota/South Dakota/Montanna/Wyoming/Idaho/Minnesota.. Hopefully more this year....

  19. #19Turtle2010-02-28 13:41

    The wage gap may seem large, but when cost of living, benefits package, and year round work with overtime are factored in the gap is not enourmous. We also have a bonus program and other incentive programs that help those contributing to the success of the company earn more. The starting wage I quoted you is for trainees. My experienced guys are all earning in the mid $20/hr range when you take benfits into consideration. Geographically it all comes down to what the plusses and minuses are of the area. I am confident that you will not find too many employees, current or former that will tellyou they weren't treated or paid well at Turtle.

  20. #20Turtle2010-02-28 13:44

    work picture is picking up here in Fla. we have just seen in the past 3 months a glut in the ARRA road jobs going out to bid. Unlike up north Fla did not have to rush to the table with a bunch of short term mill and fill jobs to us their stimulus money before the snow came. They chose to look at bigger long term jobs that took alittle more planning to get out to bid,but will create longer terms jobs when all is said and done. We are looking for a strong 2nd quater for 2010.

  21. #21Turtle2010-02-28 14:08

    Widening in Gainesville Just Curious, who are you guys working for in Gainesville? Just curious, who are you guys working for in Gainesville??

  22. #22milling_drum2010-08-08 12:08

    Add two more... New Mexico and Wisconsin.

  23. #23EGS2010-08-14 22:18

    Where'd you mill at in Wisconsin?

  24. #24milling_drum2010-08-16 19:10

    They scratched me off the Wisconsin job thanks too the Union issues, Which is fine they have plenty of other jobs where They can use me... Obviously, I'll spare my opinions due to the HEF rules regarding that issue.

  25. #25Hudson2011-03-28 23:27

    Milling in the midwest Hudson inc, a established milling company based in central Oklahoma, is now accepting applications for operators, preferably with experience. Please go to our website for more contact information. hudsonincorporated.net

  26. #26milling_drum2011-03-29 15:00

    Hudson has a nice website and are most certainly old school. The Barber Greene is nice to see. Wish they were a northern outfit. I'd be after them in a minute. (actually I sent them an email to try to get a feel for wages...sshhhh) Wonder what happened to that fella who started this thread? Ain't heard nothing from it since...wonder where it wound up and ifn its still milling or????

  27. #27jenstarltd2011-04-18 22:26

    Milling_Drum you forgot to say Canada for the places you've Milled / Hudson bought a second W2000 same time as I did 05 I ckecked out they're www at the time

  28. #28milling_drum2011-04-23 08:17

    You are so right, I did not include Ontario. Hudson seemed like a good bunch of people, I spoke to them on the phone but sadly they are south of the Mason Dixon line here in America which means they're pay scale sucks...Hoping to add a few more states this year

  29. #29millinman2011-08-15 17:42

    I see some of you have experience working in The US and Canada. Is there a difference in wages and mobilization etc. Are there any companies that work both sides? The metric system is probably more common.

  30. #30jenstarltd2011-08-15 22:23

    Experienced people get 25 to 35 bucks per hour here in Ontario (Miller,Roto-Mill and me) we always need operators , lots of work short season May to Dec

  31. #31milling_drum2011-10-03 03:32

    Add Oregon, Utah, Washington. Washington's pay scale was off the map....

  32. #32milling_drum2012-07-24 16:19

    Add California, Michigan, Ohio. Asphalt in Cali is soft like Florida, I was shocked to see that.

  33. #33andoman2012-07-26 11:35

    My buddy work for a division of Granite out there and he said the same thing.