Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Milwaukee 18 volt tools and batteries. How do you store them?

emmett518 · 2021-07-11 08:24

I bought an 18 volt - 3/4 impact wrench kit and a bare tool grease gun. Do you leave the batteries connected to the tools? Or disconnect them after use? thanks

Replies10
  1. #1JLarson2021-07-11 18:12

    Mostly connected, ready to grab on the trucks.

  2. #2farmerlund2021-07-11 22:50

    Some in the tool, some in the charger. the rest are on the shelf ready to go.

  3. #3crane operator2021-07-11 23:15

    I store my batteries at 87% drained in the tool. Just enough battery that the tool comes on. That way I can be well into a project, with two bolts to go for the impact, or three grease zerks left, when the battery dies. I get great exercise walking back to the shop to get another battery, from another tool, that's also mostly dead. I can then put them both on the charger, while I finish with a ratchet. Its my health plan.

  4. #4aighead2021-07-12 09:03

    I leave mine attached and it's seems fine though mine stuff is pretty new. I've left a battery in the charger as well, otherwise I'm also on @crane operator 's health plan.

  5. #5John Canfield2021-07-12 17:53

    Good choice with the Milwaukee M18s. For years and years I've left batteries in my cordless tools - works for me.

  6. #6CM19952021-07-12 19:20

    Is 87% drained mean one red light on the battery when you press that little button? If so that's how I do it too. Never thought of it as a health plan, I need to rethink this method. Usually I'm apologizing to the Lord for all the foul language that inevitably comes with the dead 18V tool that I really needed to finish the job.

  7. #7Mike L2021-07-12 19:21

    I store mine in the bottom drawer of my toolbox. 95 degrees above to -25 below. When they’re dead I charge them. Otherwise I drive them like a rented mule.

  8. #8FarmWrench2021-07-13 20:15

    In the bed of my pickup where rain puts them under a couple of inches of water........... Really. Killed a battery and now the hammerdill sounds funny. It's been a bad month for tools around here. I try to keep one battery on charge and the other in the little impact. Now that I'm down to one battery I don't have a system figured out.

  9. #9Camshawn2021-07-13 22:04

    I have batteries in each tool and a couple of spares charged on the shelf. I try to check the battery in the tool I am about to use before I leave the shop area and if it is low, I grab a charged one. Haven’t had any issues yet. Cam

  10. #10mrbb2021-07-20 14:20

    if storing them over say a winter or long periods of time, the suggested way to store them is in a place with a stray temp and batteries at about half charge, this is said to keep the cells lasting the longest they can I typically move mine in from the unheated shop to a heated building for winter time large temp swings even from hot to cool can damage cells(not a LOT bu it does happen)