Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mind your step.

140G · 2016-11-13 11:25

Have you ever had a bad time trying to step down from a machine?

Replies9
  1. #1grandpa2016-11-13 11:40

    Well, never used to, but now im on the north side of sixty I've figured out I can ride up and down on the moldboard and still shut off the machine. The old saying if there is a will, there is a way.

  2. #2cuttin edge2016-11-13 21:42

    Few ripped pants over the years

  3. #3ovrszd2016-11-14 09:17

    I park with the moldboard angled to the left, sitting on the ground. Step out onto the first step, then onto the top edge of the moldboard, then to the ground. Haven't fell out yet. But there's always tomorrow.

  4. #4Fatgraderman2016-11-14 22:22

    These new ones with the rubber sides are an improvement for sure. Those old cable ones could be a real hoot when ice got built up on them. A friend of mine had his foot slide through and he went over backwards with his leg hanging in there. Got lucky- nasty bone bruise but not broke.

  5. #5gtermini2016-11-15 12:30

    Friend of mine's uncle died that way a few years back. Drove grader for 30 something years in the woods and he was less than a year out from retirement. Stopped to take a ****, missed the first step, whacked his temple on the top corner of the blade, and that's where they found him later that day. Just a simple accident that cost him everything. Greyson

  6. #6ovrszd2016-11-15 17:59

    Wow, you guys are freaking me out!!!! I am very cautious when getting in/out. This might be hard to believe but what's the point in me lying about it...... Years ago I didn't use the moldboard. I stepped out onto the first step, then gripped the vertical handle with my right hand, jumped off the step and controlled my fall by my grip on the vertical handle. I can still do that today (65 years old), but out of caution I refrain.

  7. #7140G2016-11-17 04:04

    Μy uncle had his Achilles tendon cut in the step of his grader, a few days ago as he slipped trying to step down from his grader. Another friend broke his neck which paralised him steping down from his wheel loader and slipping he hit the back of his necκ on a stone. I, have earthed twice back first on gravel. Take care. Safety first !

  8. #8cuttin edge2016-11-17 21:21

    I've done the fire pole dismount, the moldboard elevator, even jumped from the top step. But my aching knees and lower back require 3 points of contact.

  9. #9Fatgraderman2016-11-18 12:37

    ^^^^^^^ Same here. Getting off the tandems of some of these machines with rippers can be fun too.