Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mini Excavator Purchase

sixkids ยท 2012-10-06 10:12

Hey Fellas, I'm going to be purchasing a mini excavator within the next few months for a few residential home projects. It will be a relatively large "mini" machine, in the 12,000-18,000 lb range, for general use. I have five different dealers in my area, so I would like to limit the number of company options to those, for ease in getting parts and service. They are: Caterpillar Case John Deere Komatsu Hitachi I'd like to hear feedback on models and manufactures as to likes, dislikes, performance, reliability, etc. and so on. I will thank any and all, in advance, for your help and input. Have a great day, and enjoy the holiday weekend. All The Best !! Tom

Replies3
  1. #1KSSS2012-10-06 13:24

    I am also replacing a 13K mini ex with another. I have recently demoed the CAT 305.5D and the Deere/Hitachi 60D. These two machines feel very similar. The control systems on both are precise. The 60D is a little faster I thought. Both of the machines I ran had 36" buckets and the CAT had noticeable more breakout. I am currently running a Takeuchi. The TK is much easier to get in and out of than either the CAT or Deere/Hitachi, has more reach, and I prefer the side to side boom mechanism to the swing boom design of a conventional mini excavator. I would very much consider the CASE CX55. I have heard a lot of positive feedback with this CASE/Kobelco mini Ex. However the aux. flow is around 16 gpm and I need more flow. I have not run a Komatsu.

  2. #2stuvecorp2012-10-12 01:19

    How are you making out on the search Tom? I have used the 50 size mainly over the years(Kobelco/Case, Hitachi, TK) but am interested to hear about the 70/75 size. Have you tried any machines out?

  3. #3jackie6062012-10-14 10:05

    I think the aftersale service is important,consider which one is convenient to get the aftermarket parts and service.Also the cost.