Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mini Excavators

Auspave · 2015-01-25 18:18

Hi Guys I have never owned a mini excavator before and was hoping for some advice on what brand of machine to buy Im a paver and will be using it mostly for removing grass and soil also thinking of purchasing a hammer as i will be removing concrete at times The machines I have looked at are Kubota U17 Yanmar VIO17 CAT 301.7DC WACKER NEUSON EZ17 BOBCAT E20 I have found the new bobcat E20 to be the most comfortable

Replies17
  1. #1Anthonycecil2015-01-25 20:59

    you`d better go with the best dealer, as pretty much everything is well designed..In my case the dealer has ruined the ownership experience…Tony

  2. #2rossaroni2015-01-25 21:01

    I own a 301.5, and the CAT's been reliable. Buy with dealer support in mind, as something seems to break only when the job HAS to be done. For consideration: If you will be loading out any materials with the mini, make sure that it will clear the side of your truck. Mine barely clears the side of the bed on my L9000, and thats with the greedy boards off.

  3. #3AlldayRJ2015-01-26 01:06

    No takeuchis there?

  4. #4maddog2015-01-26 07:45

    I agree with finding a reputable dealer if that is the route you're going. If going used then just make sure you know what to look for. Also you can always go with a bit bigger machine then what you think you need, and it will do smaller jobs, but if you go with to small a machine it won't accomplish the bigger job.

  5. #5apetad2015-02-04 19:28

    Check out the Mustang 170Z too...They have fantastic dealers in Aussie land

  6. #6diga2015-02-06 15:09

    Hi Auspave I am in Brisbane,Aust what about yourself ? Mate I have had a new Takeuchi and a new Hitachi in the last 8 years, had problems with both and not a lot of support from either, I have just got a new Bobcat E35 and easily out-digs the other machines by a huge margin,the Bobcat's are substantially cheaper as well ! I would steer clear of the Wacker Neusons,you will find Cat very expensive here in OZ, Kubota,Yanmar or Bobcat would be my choices.

  7. #7Cat digger2015-02-11 19:58

    I own cat machines mostly for the good parts and service

  8. #8KSSS2015-02-11 21:15

    There is nothing wrong with that Wacker Neuson excavator. Actually it is one of the best in the world in that weight class. Who do you think builds CATs mini ex in that weight class?.....................Wait for it.................Wait for it.............Wacker Neuson.

  9. #9Canuck Digger2015-02-12 20:22

    Are you looking for something with retractable UC to get into super tight spaces? If not, I would consider moving up a weight class or two. We do a fair bit of mini excavation and I've run minies from 1.6T to 6T pretty steady. The lift capacity, dump height, reach and bucket size is a sure challenge with that size machine. Pretty much impossible to load anything but a dump trailer or a p/u truck with that size machine.... Just a thought.

  10. #10Shimmy12015-02-12 23:26

    Can one of those itty bitty diggers even run a hammer? :beatsme

  11. #11KSSS2015-02-13 01:28

    Yes they can. Demo is a big part of what they are built for.

  12. #12Cat digger2015-02-13 06:49

    I used a k008 kubota in a school demo job and it ran a hammer great. Could squeeze though doorways and was able to pick up slabs of concrete that we're pretty good size

  13. #13apetad2015-02-13 13:00

    Parts are astronomical to say the least. Typical packing kit $600 and individual O-rings are NOT available individually. They will admit that they give the machines away and make their profit the first time you buy a part.

  14. #14KSSS2015-02-13 16:14

    All parts are astronomical. You can be assured that their business strategy is not to sell the machines cheap and make their money on the parts. I priced new front window latches for my Takeuchi $250 a piece X2.

  15. #15Auspave2015-02-14 02:50

    Hi Diga Thanx for the advice, Im in Sydney I had a look at the Yanmar, Kubota and the bobcat I have purchased the bobcat e20 and cant wait to use it, I found it the best out of the others I now need to purchase a PLant trailer so that i can tow it I was thinking of purchasing a second hand one, any advice you can give me on the trailer? I also noticed theres alot of used ones in qld

  16. #16Auspave2015-02-14 02:55

    I did need an excavator that retracts because of the type of work i do I will be only loading my dump truck which isnt too high I also want to purchase a skid steer s150 so that if i do larger jobs i can use both

  17. #17Paul Six2015-02-14 03:57

    We use Kubota here in Europe , they are very reliable