Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mini loader cost?

cat320 · 2005-06-09 17:51

I thought that I would open up this thread.It's always amazed me on the price they get for the mini loaders almost as much if not more than a TLB.It seams that unless you really need the size it would be more benifincial to go larger.

Replies54
  1. #1CascadeScaper2005-06-09 17:59

    I agree, I was completely blown away by the prices of Cat 906's and 908's. Ridiculously expensive IMO. I think the 914 is about as small as I'd ever buy for doing excavation work.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2005-09-10 08:19

    The reality of a lot of my skid steer work is that a 908 would do it in half the time and way more efficently, not to mention comfortably. However, many people/builders etc are not used to using small loaders and "expect" a skid steer to turn up. That fact, plus the exhorbitant price puts them out of my market as much as I want one. Down the track I will probably end up with a secondhand IT18 or similar.

  3. #32004F5502005-09-10 16:19

    I notice many tree services use them around here for picking up the big chunks at their jobs etc. They dont tear up the lawn as bad and they can lift more and with more stability it seems.. A local rental yard had a Cat 906 when it first started up a couple monthes ago but I think it was quickly sold back, I don't think it went out once. The skid steer is just too popular so people also ask for that first. In Europe they seem to be the hottest set up from what I've heard though, sort of like a skid steer is here.

  4. #4cat3202005-09-10 16:54

    I would love to get one but when you compare the cost of them to a bigger machine there really is not to much more difference well to a point but a used second hand machine 2-3 times the size with low hr's would be better than a new one that is smaller . plus when you compare them to a skid the skid is lighter more manuverable in tight areas and can be trailerd with a pick up the loaders most are just on the line for small truck transport.

  5. #5Steve Frazier2005-09-10 21:16

    It depends on what your needs are. There are some jobs that a compact wheel loader is perfect for where a larger machine is too cumbersome. Part of the expense in the machine cost may be that they are built in lower numbers than their larger brethren making the cost per machine proportionally higher. They do have their niche, and would be perfect for my operation, I run smaller trucks.

  6. #6Squizzy246B2005-09-11 03:18

    I think they are under-rated I know of a builder who has an old Kubota loader thats about as beaten up and trashed as you can imagine. He uses it for just about everything on site (crane/forklift etc) and swears by it. However I am yet to see one of the compacts (Kubota/Komatsu) that is as tight as a Cat (maybe Volvo) that will allow you level a pad precisely (+/- 3/4") with good control. We use skids for this work or something like 938 on bigger sites but I am convinced the Cat 906/908 will do the majority of both. I guess its a compromise but from that respect it could be economical. Where skids fall down is the time it takes to load a truck. A small loader will kill a skid any day in this regard. I think that compact loaders are under-utilised and under-rated but again its what customers expect and they don't seem to perceive that there is a machine between a skid and 928 sized machine. Transporting is certainly another issue although my tipper/dump truck will carry a 908 the length is a problem. The local CAT Rental has a 908 with a 4 in 1 bucket and it is rarely idle in the yard.

  7. #7eva2005-11-02 12:40

    help [hi i am looking for some help ...i want to buy weels for big trucks and tractors if you know aything let me know thanks !!!

  8. #8digger242j2005-11-02 15:01

    Eva, I think you're going to need to provide a little more background information before anyone will be able to give you a useful answer. Like, what kind of trucks and tractors, and what kind of work they're used for, and maybe why you need to buy wheels, (don't they already have some?), etc. This may not even be the right forum for your question. There is a "transportation" section here on the board that might be a more appropriate place. Let us know a little more, and I'm sure somebody will be able to help you out...

  9. #9RyanCKing2006-03-11 23:21

    The high relative price of smaller loaders has sent me in search of a skip loader (TLB without hoe) based on a CAT 420 or 430 sized machine as a possible alternative.

  10. #10CEwriter2006-06-22 22:14

    Cat's just gotten into this business, but with a machine based on the 416. See a short write-up at http://www.constructionequipment.com/newProductsDetail/CA6321927.html?taxid=7882

  11. #11jazak2006-06-23 18:04

    I maybe renting a 308 for a retainer wall project. If I do I will post pics and what a though about the machine.

  12. #12KSSS2007-02-20 18:49

    I have run these machines for time to time and like others have said; I wish I could justify the purchase price. I think they would be very valuable on a jobsite. They are more comfortable to run Vs a skid steer. I ran a CASE 321 and quickly fell in lust for it, but not enough to take a chance with one. A large frame skid steer just seems more versatile unless you have a particular nich that the compact loader would fill. I sat in Takeuchi's new compact loader (built by Atlas). Very nice. If I ever see one at auction I may try one.

  13. #13P Backus2007-04-15 21:31

    Anyone have a Waldon wheel loader? I have a Waldon 4500B. It is articulated like a big loader, so it is easy on the turf, but is really similar in capacity to a larger skid. I built the pallet forks for it and that made it much handier. The bucket is only a little bigger than 4'. I've been wanting to sell it, but it's unusual enough that I'm having a tough time getting anyone interested even at a smaller price than a used skid of similar capacity. Anyone else have one, or had one? Did you like it? Paul

  14. #14dug10162007-05-03 23:06

    Best in the business.... http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/cons...10lelandscapeloader_construction_general.html

  15. #15surfer-joe2007-05-04 01:42

    I ran the crap out of a Walden back in 1982 in Colorado. Was working for a western slope asphalt outfit and we used that loader for everything around the paving spread from excavating to cleanup to charging the paver. I see a lot of outfits today using skid steers with paving spreads, but they travel so slow compared to the loader. This one had the Ford industrial smoker -- er -- I mean diesel engine. Hydrostatic drive train, and barely any brakes. This one would load tandem dumps albeit carefully. Had quite a bit of break-out force, but lift was slow. I'm fairly certain it was the 4500 model. When we paved the new Union Oil refinery in Parachute, I carried tons of asphalt into the plant with it around all the piping and other stuff in the way of the paver. Had to charge the paver in many places because the trucks couldn't lift their dump boxes high enough to dump into the hopper. (overhead pipes and catwalks in the way) It wasn't a bad little loader other than it would bounce like crazy going down the road at full speed, was very noisy, and it did smoke like crazy. Two 4500B's sold a year ago in Texas at Ritchie’s, one went for 3000 bucks, the other for 800 which was a parts only sale.

  16. #16CEwriter2007-05-04 09:59

    For a rundown on what's new in the category and a quick jump to a page that will allow you to compare specifications, go to http://www.constructionequipment.com/Equipment/24110.html Click the link under Tractor Loaders Specifications to get to the comparison table. If you are buying used, go to Spec Check's home page, click Non-Current models then select Earthmoving - Loaders - Tractor Loaders, and you'll get a list of all the manufacturers for which Spec Check has tracked skip-loader specs over the last 5 or 6 years.

  17. #17crazycajun2007-07-01 20:18

    last time i used one it was a case "LL" as soon as you would raise the bucket five feet it would tip over...

  18. #18CEwriter2007-07-02 00:02

    What do you think of that Gyrotrack? I spent some time with their people at a trade show early this year, but never did get a feel for where their machines fall in the price leader-to-premium range. What other types of machines have you had? How do they compare? Thanks, Larry

  19. #19okumaguru2007-12-20 07:39

    small Hough I know where there is a small Hough loader near St Louis for $1500.00. The value of a loader is what the purchaser is willing to pay. Tim

  20. #20PipeGuy2008-02-07 09:24

    Jd 244j I recently rented a JD 244J. It is actually made by Lieber. After operating for about a week I wouldn't buy a large frame skid steer. I also rented a JD 332 ctl and the 244J sips fuel compared to the large loader. The 244J has "stereo steering" This means as you articulate the loader the rear wheels also turn. It has a very small turing radius. It has a euro coupler on it, which I think it is a much better design than larger loader. You can also get an adapter plate to put on any skid steer atachment on the loader also. I used a 1 cuyd bucket I also rented a power rake for it. It was a pleasure to operate. the loader is only 72" wide so it will fit just about anywhere a large from skid loader will fit. The only down side that I can find is that the aux hyd flow. High flow is not an option. so that would leave some of the planers and such out. I plan on purchasing one this year, assuming all goes well.

  21. #21plowking7402008-02-07 10:05

    if your looking for a small loader, I have had a lot of luck running a case W11. I could load a Semi tailer end dump and carry a yard of materl. I haved used it to do everything, I have used it for finishing crush on tennis courts , parking lots, drive ways, snow removal ( excellent heater ). the biggest problem we had was the center pin, because it would fill the area with gravel if you drove over a windrow, and would stop taking grease, constantly changing nipples and cleaning them out. I have also used a Kubota 420 and a Komatsu 75 all of wich were used for finishing. the Kubta was good because of all the different attachments you could get, Forks, backhoe, and we even had a box scraper/blade on the back end. a pretty handy little toy, just had a small bucket. In not a fan of skid steer loader, so I would consider something like these.

  22. #22Ohio Takeuchi2008-02-09 20:16

    Check out the Takeuchi wheel loaders made by atlas. They are a great machine. They run between 45k-70k. So they are not much more then a larger CTL.

  23. #23dustmaker2008-06-10 12:16

    Deciding on small wheel loader I am in the market to purchase a small wheel loader and want to stay around 10,000 lbs to facilitate moving with my equipment. Only looking at machines in that size range that have cab and ac. I have narrowed my search to Volvo L20B, Gehl AWS36, and Jcb 406. The Volvo is the most readily available and the closest dealer support. It also is the lowest priced machine. Any information on these brands in general and there small wheel laoders in particular would be appreciated. Most of the duties of this machine could be preformed by a skid steer, not interested in one of those don,t like the limited view, the ride or the stability. Thats why I ruled out the Bobcat A300 also. Also would like coments on skid steer quick attach vs. loader quick attach. I realise the versatility of the ss type but am thinking the loader type looks much stronger. Thank you

  24. #24MXZ2008-06-12 10:24

    I haven't purchased one, but have demo'd most of the major players. The Volvo is definitely cheaper, but seems like a very crude machine compared to the Deere 244j and Cat's 906/8. The lasting impression of the Volvo was the beating you take in rough ground. If I can ever justify one, it would be the 244j. Ride control, tight radius w/o giving up full turn carrying capacity, higher ground speed, and just all around nicely designed.

  25. #25seandeere2008-06-18 11:33

    Did the bucket look very "tall" on the volvo

  26. #26seandeere2008-06-18 11:35

    is there a Deere dealer close by?, If so----try the Deere before final decision----244J

  27. #27MXZ2008-06-18 11:59

    Yes. It seemed tall and narrow on the one I ran without a lot of curl. Hard to get much material in the bucket. I know you have to dig differently than with a skid, but that Volvo was very awkward in my opinion.

  28. #28KSSS2008-06-19 00:02

    I have been considering one as well. I ran a 321 CASE and I really liked it. The TK would be my next choice from looking at the specs but I have yet to run one. There are 3 321s in this area and nobody has an ill word to say about them, other than they cost too much.

  29. #29dustmaker2008-06-21 00:14

    So I tried out the 244J, really nice machine. Did not get a chance to try the ride control. Would this help a lot at speed over rough ground? It really does turn tighter than the other machine I have ran so far. The standard tires seem to small, would I be better of with the optional larger ones for rough terrain and mud? They add almost 2 inches to the height of machine which is already rather tall. It would seem that they should change the drive ratio as not to loose digging ability with them, do not now if they change it or not. I have to look at the numbers and see if I can justify the extra 10 to 15k over the other machines I am considering. Thanks Paul

  30. #30PipeGuy2008-06-22 08:15

    dusmaker, The ride control makes a huge difference in the ride.

  31. #31seandeere2008-06-23 06:54

    Yes the ride control would make a huge difference, I would not spend the extra for larger tires

  32. #32JohnT2008-06-24 17:27

    Waldon 4500B Paul: Do you still have this unit? If so please call me at 1-800-262-8700. I am not a dealer, my company is need of another unit. Thanks. John

  33. #33JohnT2008-06-26 16:27

    Waldon 4500B Paul: Do you still have this unit? If yes I'd like to talk with you I have one and need another. thanks John 1-800-262-8700

  34. #34dustmaker2008-07-01 00:31

    Decided to purchase a 244J but they are rather scarce on the west coast. The dealer found a new one only 67 training hours. Don't know how thats new but oh well. The problem is the machine has a 1.4 yard 86" bucket instead of a 1 yard 76" gp bucket. That seems little large to me for average work. Mostly worried about the digging ability of the larger width. My other thought would be to get a 1 yard multipurpose bucket and this would probably be about 84" anyway. Any thoughts? Thanks Paul

  35. #35MXZ2008-07-01 23:47

    I think the bucket choice will depend on what you're doing with the machine. Maybe you said somewhere, but I missed it. Other than serious digging and loading heavy material, I would tend to lean toward the versatility of the skid steer plate. If a large portion of the machine's life is sitting in a pit loading rock or something, then maybe the payloader bucket is the way to go. If I remember right, the ss plate just quick taches to the euro coupler, so switching from ss to payloader is relatively quick also. Once you figure out your bucket, I think you'll be very pleased with your choice of machine. It's definitely the Cadillac of the class.

  36. #36aidank2008-07-09 05:26

    useful machine

  37. #37coopers2008-07-13 20:14

    You got any pics of the new guy?

  38. #38dustmaker2008-07-14 00:01

    This is one of the photos sent to me before the machine was transfered to my local dealer. It is still down at the dealer having some of the options I ordered installed. I will post more photos after delivery, should be monday or tuesday. Paul

  39. #39coopers2008-07-14 21:49

    VERY NICE! love the look of those, I wish I had a reason to use one!

  40. #40awful knawful2008-07-15 12:09

    I saw one exactly like that on the back of a flatbed the other night, almost put my mustang in the ditch trying to get a good look at it. It was a pretty neat looking little machine ! AK

  41. #41BadCompany2008-07-30 02:39

    I also looked at small loaders for snow removal. When the salesman old me the price of a small Deere was 60 grand, I thought that he was kidding me. I am now looking at small Chinese and can buy a container load of them for the same price. If I was in construction and can afford for machine to go down, I would try the Chinese machines. Unfortunately, for snow removal, it either works or you cry.....a LOT of crying.

  42. #42CEwriter2008-07-30 10:11

    Here's basic info on the Waldon product line, and links to their web site: http://www.reedconstructionequipmen...ID=3668541&Company=Waldon&src=CEQ&srcpubid=14

  43. #43pavving2009-01-16 21:13

    i just baught a terex tl 120 mini loader i havent got to use it yet,has anyone used these before?

  44. #44P Backus2009-01-18 21:33

    Sorry I didn't see your post for 6 months! Unfortunately my Waldon finally did get sold, but don't feel too bad since it was sold before your post even. Sure was a neat little loader if you have the use for that size. I sold it for around $4500. Nice running diesel. Ended up replacing it with an 1845 skid- more money, but works better in my situation. Paul

  45. #45pavving2009-01-18 23:22

    i saw some new mini loaders went thrue richie bros auction with 20 hours,still new from manufacture for around 20k,there going thrue pretty often,prestige eq,in denver has a new 07 for 26k terex tl 120 with quick attatch!they have 1 but its not enclosed erops!but a nice machine for the money,

  46. #46stock032009-09-26 10:34

    I'm in the market for a loader (possibly with backhoe). But my price range is $5k at most. I see these cheap tractors for sale often, but they sell right away. I'm just lookin g for something to use around my house and to clear snow. We get a lot out here. Thanks for any advice!

  47. #477.3 4x4 power2010-05-07 01:52

    whats the price of new for a 244 or 904/6

  48. #48PipeGuy2010-05-08 19:49

    244 cost I priced one the other day and it was 65 - 70 grand. That is a lot of money but the work they perform is unbeivable. I had a 244 rented and am now looking to buy one. I perfer the JD because the visiblity is alot better to the cutting edge. I have looked at a volvo case and cat and I didn't care for the visiblity. I also like the stero steering of the 244. I used on a project last year to install 12" water main along a busy state highway and it is big enough but not too big. I could travel down the road much faster than a skid steer but it is the same with as a large skid steer.

  49. #49Bison2010-09-24 11:14

    I got an old articculeted Waldon 500 i use around the farm. Very handy little bugger,build like a brick sh"thouse. I replaced the engine with a GM 6.2 diesel and put a national stackable hydr pump ont. I also put 2 extra hydr valves on it to run a post hole auger and 10' wide 3 way snow blade Goes like the devil on smooth places but is a pain on uneven ground cause of the bouncing.

  50. #50dr_gonzo2011-02-10 19:48

    I'm in the market for a small loader for my start up...I'd like to run a hydraulic mulcher off the front end for breaking trail,lot clearing...forest work. Ultimately, I wanna be able to tow logs out of the bush for milling purposes. Anyone with a decent idea,get back to me..

  51. #51Bison2011-02-11 23:59

    A hydrostatic unit might work but you need at least a 100 HP engine and a extra 30/40 gal/min pump just to run a mulch head. I didn't think the miniloaders have that much HP or the hi flow hydr nor the cooling capasity for the hydr.

  52. #52Effinay2011-12-15 09:36

    Hi John, Not sure if your still looking, but I have a Waldon 5000, fully enclosed cab, heater, deutz diesel. All new rubber, runs great, needs a little paint, and what I think is some adjustment on the hydraulic systems. I recently purchased this to do the work and turn it over. Got the manuals for it too. Let me know if your interested.

  53. #53max-rwr2012-07-16 23:29

    Hi Effinay, Are you still selling your Waldon 5000 loader. Do you have any pictures.

  54. #54Lightning Bolt2012-09-17 01:19

    Just picked this up.. MultiTrac mini loader I just picked this 2002 MultiTrac up for $3200, it has 600hrs, 42 hp YanMar 4 banger, it need a seat and engine cover. Features 31 x 15.5 turf tires so lawns are not an issue, skid steer quick attach bucket system, plumbed to run graple, auger, broom and has extending bucket arms. I've never seen one before and at this price figure I'll give it a shot, I've always used Case 1840s and tired of getting beat up when working on hard surfaces. Just found out MultiTrac is now MultiOne out of Italy so I'm hoping the Canadian distributor can help me with manuals and parts. http://www.multione-csf.com/en/1-homepage.html Looks like they have a huge variety of attachments.