Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mining Shovel Dust Suppression

D11RCD ยท 2011-10-13 06:28

Hello everyone, I was watching a documentary yesterday and I saw a short sequence involving a Terex RH340 face shovel loading a Cat 793 Dump and I noticed that the shovel had little (probably not actually little) hoses spraying what looked to be water (it was like a mist) out around the boom and bucket area. I was wondering whether this was dust suppression as I first guessed or whether it was something else related to Coal mining. Thanks everyone!

Replies12
  1. #1cps2011-10-13 14:38

    Hi D11RCD, id say your spot on first time, most likely working near a built up area! Aiden

  2. #2Matty2011-10-13 15:33

    My bet would be spark suppression if it were coal.

  3. #3Nige2011-10-13 18:21

    I think more likely for coal dust suppression. It's nasty stuff if it gets in your lungs, ask any miner who contracted pneumoconiois before the industry got serious with dust suppression on mechanical coal cutters underground ......... Spark suppression ........?? Try suppressing these sparks ....

  4. #4Matty2011-10-13 18:24

    I know a few folks that work in Coal mining. I'll have to ask. I know they are very careful about anything that can cause a spark. Even the shovels (hand) can't spark because of gas and such. It was just a guess, but obviously don't know for sure. Nice pic.

  5. #5diggerop2011-10-13 19:33

    I've worked in the coal industry for a number of years and have never seen or heard of anything like that, so my guess would be dust suppression near a built up area. We've dug coal that had been under water a few days before and it's still dusty so I can't see some sprays on the shovel doing much at all. Except to maybe keep some greenies happy. As far as spark suppression goes I very much doubt it in an open cut mine. Have never heard of a fire in coal started by a spark from a digging machine or ripping in an open cut situation. The only times I may get a teensie weensie little bit concerned is when digging unshot coal and the tips of the teeth start turning blue from the heat, but still no fire.

  6. #6Matty2011-10-13 19:47

    Guess I'm wrong. =) Didn't catch the open pit statement.

  7. #7Ross2011-10-13 21:17

    Dust supression. HERE you can see dust supression jets and water tanks on the house. AND AGAIN you can see the jets on the back. Those two machines are fitted with dust & sound supression .. All made in house and works a treat.

  8. #8Matty2011-10-14 11:44

    Ross, I need a new job. That looks like a hoot to operate.

  9. #9D11RCD2011-10-15 18:11

    That is exactly it, thankyou very much! Thankyou everyone! It has been very helpful

  10. #10Ross2011-10-15 22:21

    Is the shovels pictures the same shovel you seen on TV?

  11. #11D11RCD2011-10-17 01:41

    Almost identical =) Thankyou!

  12. #12golfy2011-10-17 05:27

    hey guys.. i operate a RH340 almost everyday at work... can tell you that you sometimes have to stop swinging all together briefly cause the dust can get real bad and there is no wind to blow it away for you its blinding..or in the case of nightshift sometimed turning the upper cab lights off, cause the last thing u want it to hit the side of the truck or the face with the bucket.. bad news.. in the UK they have these spray bars setup on the dippers of the shovels for dust suppression.. bloody great idea, aslong at the tank gets filled up!!!!