Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mismatched manholes can hurt you

skyking1 ยท 2021-08-03 21:28

Also, this old bumble didn't bounce. I was working this grease interceptor install, and had a good day. I got the structure core channeled and cored for the Kor-n-seal boot that the government prefers. I tested the structure for confined space entry, and fixed the terrible channel job that was in there. Last thing to do is close it up and go home for the day. So drag it in place with my hook and it is up a bit, so I go to give it the usual kick. Now this manhole is on the edge of a 4' excavation that is going to be dug down tomorrow, and I had placed a couple of my buckets to physically block off that excavation from someone driving in there. So the stage is set. Buckets close by and that tightens up my working space on that side and the excavation on the other side. I give that kick and the way loose fitting cover does a complete tiddlywink flip, and I go in the hole with that leg. I don't quite fall all the way to my manhood on the manhole cover, but really close. One leg out, one leg in, manhole cover between my legs. I keel over toward the hole with my torso, and no where to catch myself with that hand. The cover wedges inside of my thigh and the edge of the hole the outside of my thigh. This leverage kept me upright with predictable results. The force seemed sufficient to break my leg but it did not. I managed to extricate myself quickly and do a self evaluation. Nothing broken so I call it in and go home and shower. I have two ice bags going.

Replies6
  1. #1skyking12021-08-03 21:29

    The manhole cover was not what shipped with that 40 year old ring, Someone had appropriated a cover marked county, and it was a private sewer manhole. The inspector wanted that changed. I was going to use one from the 10,000 gallon structure I was abandoning in place. I tried those but they were a wee bit tight. No problem just a little grind and it would work great. I did not get around to that grind and replace in time to save me.

  2. #2hvy 1ton2021-08-04 00:18

    I did almost this exact thing last year, although I've been told I bounce like a superball. Realized I had made a mistake when I was knee deep in the riser and managed to throw myself/fall out of the the hole before the cover came back around. The two guys that saw me do it are still confused how I didn't get hurt.

  3. #3CM19952021-08-04 20:25

    Damn Sky! Glad you didn't break your leg or worse.

  4. #4skyking12021-08-04 23:21

    I did 12 hours today, much of it mashing the clutch on that 3406 powered dump truck with that leg. I am beat. I've been doing this job by myself for the most part. I had a helper today and will have two tomorrow. They can climb the ladder!

  5. #5CM19952021-08-06 21:31

    Not being a smart ass but that's why I like autos in a dump truck - regardless of personal injury.

  6. #6JLarson2021-08-15 01:31

    Yeah I've done that a few times, you stop after putting a boot in a full interceptor lol. The few times I will kick one is on grade rings that are up above ground and I reverse kick them in.