I hope you can help me with a question I have about the operation of the articulation on the H series Grader. What the manual says differ with what I believed and what Mr #Randy Krieg`s, CAT M Series Motor Grader Application Guide says. The following is what the 120H/135H and 140H/160H Operator`s Manual says: This is what I believe and what The Application Guide says: Why is it different and what is the correct way? Do you move towards or away from the heel to counter a side draft? How can turning the tandem wheel away from the wheel, reduce the width of the cut and the load of the machine? Please explain!
They both say the same thing. In the first description they say turn the "front" of the tandems toward the heel. In the second description they say turn the "rear of the tandem towards the toe which is the same thing.
Turn the front of the tandem wheels toward the heel of the moldboard vs. Articulate the back frame toward the toe to offset the side load (See picture as well) it is not the same....?
I agree with mobletech..... they both say the same thing.
Ok, I understood incorrectly what they said in the manual. So... If the tandems start to spin or slide side-ways you articulate the driving force (center) of the tandems directly towards the heel. The way they put it in the manual was just a bit confusing to me... I can "see" it now! Thanks!!!
Articulating towards the heel also results in increasing the angle of moldboard relative to the windrow.
Frameroux, What you're up against here is something that we've moaned about for years in Cat manuals. The lack of consistent terminology between one manual and another. The thing is that Operation & Maintenance (O&MM) Manuals are generally written by the Product Group that manufactured the machine, Application Guides are written by the Applications Engineering Dept based in Cat's Proving Ground in Tucson Az and the Peoria Head Office. And therein lies the problem ........... the 2 groups don't talk to one another. As others have posted, both manuals are in effect saying exactly the same thing but using different terminology/methodology to do it.
Yes it does get confusing. Just the Motor Grader itself got so many different names and then the same with all the components and every other term concerning it. Just think of the blade tip/tilt/pitch....; the road cross section terms like fore slope or road ditch/ road shoulder slope. Especially when you train new guys it can confuse them easily. Fortunately the application guide explain that all these different terms are in fact the same thing. Thanks for the replies!