Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mit BF2 lift pump question.

dmcb ยท 2015-03-03 11:03

My lift pump seems to have quit. I can't find any obstructions in the line to prevent fuel from flowing. It will run by pumping the primer pump but soon runs out of fuel. Does anyone see a reason why I can't add an electric fuel pump either in line before the lift pump or completely bypassing it? Doug

Replies9
  1. #1dmcb2015-03-03 15:27

    Well I guess I'll answer my own question. I tried it with a 12 volt electric pump I had. It seems to work great. From a machine that would only run if I pumped the manual pump to one that ran 1/2 throttle for about an hour and still had full throttle left. I have to think it will work fine. I ordered a 24 volt pump so I can have it work only with the switch on. It will make changing the filter a lot easier too. Doug

  2. #2lantraxco2015-03-03 17:01

    Should be fine.

  3. #3dmcb2015-03-03 18:13

    Thanks for the reassurance. This has been an on going problem for a while now. Kept thinking the tank was plugged. Or the filter. It would run a while then die. Get it started again and it would go for a while again. Sometimes quite a while. But it got worst until the only way I could get it to go was pump it with the hand pump. Sure was glad to see it run properly again. just finished wiring it to the switch. Now to get the 24v pump. Doug

  4. #4lantraxco2015-03-03 19:25

    One thing to check before getting carried away, if you haven't already, pull the bolts out of all the banjo fittings in the fuel lines one by one, check for a really small screen in the hollow center of the banjo bolts. Usually only in the first connection where the suction line comes from the fuel tank, they do get plugged with "stuff" and act like fuel starvation. I forgot about it, but the Mitsubishi engines all seemed to come with one or more of these.

  5. #5dmcb2015-03-03 19:35

    I read this somewhere and it was the first thing I checked. Was very hopeful that was it. Fuel seems to flow well with the electric pump or the push pump.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-03-03 20:10

    Cool. The lift pump probably has a weak/broken return spring or worn roller, the electric should work fine, and as you say make it much easier when changing filters. etc.

  7. #7dmcb2015-03-03 20:16

    I did take the large cover/cap from the lift pump. The spring under it was quite strong. Don't know if that is the spring you are talking about. Nothing else came out with a gentle tug with needle nosed pliers. Not knowing what I was doing, I quit at that point. Thought I might find a screen or even some dirt but nothing.

  8. #8dmcb2015-03-10 16:06

    Just a follow up. I ordered and installed a 24V electric fuel pump. It worked perfect. A solution for mechanical lift pump problems. Doug

  9. #9lantraxco2015-03-10 16:08

    Sweet! :drinkup