Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mitsubishi diesel interchange

ESDE ยท 2025-09-01 11:39

Hello, I have a Volvo excavator, that has a bad engine. It's a Mitsubishi S3L2, and I have not been able to find a replacement for reasonable cost.. I have found a few others, and am wondering if they would bolt in. I've been looking for info on bell housing and flywheel info, but haven't found it yet.. HELP!! I have a Mitsubishi L3E that came from a light tower. It's slightly less powerful (19kw vs 23kw) and has a different style governor, but I am confident it will bolt in. I also have access to a Mitsubishi K3D from a Toro tractor. This is more powerful, and probably what I should use, but I have not fond info on the mounting and flywheel specs.. Changing hoses and exhaust to make it happen is expected and not a problem for me. But bolting the engine to the hydraulic drive and into the machine is. Any insight or direction is much appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1ozarkag2025-09-01 13:50

    Can't help on the flywheel specs. But Hayes Coupling can custom build nearly any combination needed. Flywheel Coupling, Jaw Coupling, Stub Shafts, shaft coupling Hayes manufactures Flywheel Couplings, Jaw Couplings, Splined Couplings, Stub Shafts, Custom Flywheels, Hydraulic Pump Mounts, pump mounting plates and more www.hayescouplings.com

  2. #2Tyler d4c2025-09-01 14:42

    Why not just rebuild the engine you have. Ive done what your attepting youll be effort ahead to fix what you have

  3. #3B&B2025-09-01 17:35

    Last I checked there was a few s3l2 engines on ebay, they also came in 5200-D toro reelmasters. The engine kits to rebuild them are pretty cheap

  4. #4Universal Parts2025-09-03 02:18

    Are you looking for hydraulic pump bell housings and coupling discs? Take a picture of your coupling disc and send it to me so I can give you some advice.

  5. #5Birken Vogt2025-09-03 11:27

    S3L2s were also used in generators and light towers. They are not that uncommon, maybe expand your search somehow?

  6. #6oldtom2025-09-05 23:43

    go on line West Diesel has your engine listed and has o/haul kits. A lot less trouble than trying to change out every thing