I was hoping to get some feedback on this Mobil Delvac 1300 oil I found for $12/gallon. https://photos.app.goo.gl/BimyZjTUbibBPefY7 I went into the parts counter at Cat and he told me any 15W-40 would work. This stuff is significantly cheaper than Cat's oil so I bought 100 gallons of it. He also indicated that the 15w40 was the same as CAT HYDO oil. https://photos.app.goo.gl/2ZXeoJeyJir9suiu9 I was planning on using this Mobil Delvac 1300 for the engine oil and hydraulic system. Before I dumped it in there I was hoping to get some feedback as to if this was a bad idea or not. With CAT HYDO running about $25/gallon this stuff is 1/2 the price.
It’s used by a Freightliner dealership I worked at and those engines have tight tolerances and are rather unforgiving plus trucks get driven hard I love that oil yes I’d use it for both hydraulic and engine
Mobile Delvac 1300 is an SAE30 grade engine oil and to thick for hydraulics which usually require a SAE10 grade
Delvac 1300 Super 15w-40 would be a good choice for your engine. There are much better and appropriate choices available for the hydraulic system.
1. Why would you use a synthetic oil in an engine like this.? It will be changed so often that the long-life benefit of the synthetic would be lost in my opinion. My 2c. For the AZ climate I would say any major oil company branded SAE 15W/40 engine oil meeting API CH-4 specification or better would work. 2. To the best of my knowledge Mobil Delvac 1300 is not the same as a hydraulic oil. The use of an engine oil in hydraulic systems is 20th Century, back to when "one size fits all" was the mantra. That's not the thinking today, an appropriate hydraulic oil for your machine is an SAE10W hydraulic oil that meets a commercial standard such as DENISON HF-0 or the requirements of DIN 51524-2:2017-06 or ISO L-HM (ISO 11158:2009). You don't have to use Cat-branded oils although there might be times when the Empire Cat Parts Dept has offers that make their oils & filters as cheap as or cheaper than "will fit" brands.
Do you have a link to a product you would recommend? The stuff at cat was $125/5 gallon. If that's what I need to purchase then I will. I was just going off what's the parts guy told me at Cat. Given this was half the cost I just thought I was getting a deal.
1300 Super isn’t a synthetic oil, despite the sketchy marketing “synthetic blend”. They can get away with that in North America ever since the Castrol/Mobile 1 court case. Nevertheless, it’s a decent group III base stock and for 12 bucks a gallon, not a bad choice. I just checked prices and the least expensive, off-brand, private label, Warren Distribution or Valvoline DEO 15w-40 I can find is $14 gallon.
For your planned use the Delvac Super 1300 will work. You are not going to be putting 50+ hours/week on the engine and changing oil every month. Engine oil - There is a Mobil Delvac 1300 (not Super 1300) which is a regular non-synthetic oil. Alternatively Shell Rimula R3X or R4X, or Conoco-Phillips Power D, all in 15W40. Hydraulic oil - Mobil Nuto H32, Shell Tellus S2M, or Conoco Hydraulic AW. All in SAE10W or ISO32 viscosity.
Mesa gets warm. I suppose a HYDO with a good viscosity index and oxidation resistance are big factors. I would chat up your local oil distributor and find out what the locals are using. Whatever you purchase, make sure the oil is clean. Easier said than done. An old machine like that, you will probably be using an unexpected amount of it. I jest. It’s probably a low-hour, cream puff.
This...........
Seeing as you got a deal on the engine oil try them out on Mobil DTE hydraulic oil non synthetic.
Was the best deal out there.
I didn't intentionally look for synthetic. It was just way cheaper than anything else on the market by like 50%
I live in Mesa but I actually am bringing it to my property in Payson. The high in that specific area is 90 in summer.
Looks like my hydraulic filters ate some type of rubber seal or gasket. https://photos.app.goo.gl/FJhUgL3Tv9Dd4FaP8
What does everyone typically use to clean out these metal filter housings? Brake cleaner?
Brake kleen or starting fluid and a lint free towel.