Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mobile crane operator apprenticeship

MaksimKulikov · 2020-12-13 16:36

Hello everybody! I am interested in the profession of a mobile crane operator. There is little information about this profession in the Internet. As far as I understand it, it is necessary to undergo an apprenticeship with an employer. I applied to Union and submitted documents for consideration, but there is a queue up to 1 year, a competition and no guarantees of admission. Please tell me who knows what is the best way to start developing in this specialty. If there are familiar mobile crane operators, please share your contact, or the contacts of companies ready to provide apprenticeship to newcomers without experience in this area. I currently live in Toronto, but am ready to move to any part of Canada to study. Thank you for the answer!

Replies6
  1. #1classictruckman2020-12-18 18:30

    Well you’ve already begun to take the right steps, continue on with the 793 and you’ll get a great education in this industry.

  2. #2MaksimKulikov2020-12-20 13:55

    Thank you for the answer. I thought there were other career opportunities because I don't want to wait too long.

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-12-20 17:20

    Talk to crane rental companies. You'd probably have to start off as a helper or laborer instead of directly to crane operator.

  4. #4classictruckman2020-12-21 08:43

    You may find a non union crane rental company to get on with, but in Ontario and most of Canada you will still have to go through the apprenticeship program. In Ontario the non union school is Durham college.

  5. #5Steve Favia2020-12-21 09:37

    Stick with Union apprenticeship. You’re going to really appreciate it when you retire!

  6. #6Tim.pin2020-12-28 03:46

    You might also offer to some crane rental companies that you work for free as a helping hand and an observer of how things are done. Do it for a month just to see what it is like.