Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Model 12 cat motor grader

Compression fire · 2023-04-19 20:45

Hi there is there anyone on here that can tell me how to find the age of my grader I believe it to be a model 12 catipillar from what I have been able to find the serial number is 9k1209 I believe that number was built 1938-47 but would really like to find actual date of manufacture. this thing has sat for I don’t know how long. But I recently pulled it outta the trees cleaned it up and have got it running everything works. And plan to run it in are local parade. Would be nice to be able to tell people it’s actual age thanks in advance

Replies18
  1. #1Old Magnet2023-04-19 21:59

    That's a 1939 model.

  2. #21693TA2023-04-19 22:04

    Watch your fingers with those levers.....

  3. #3skyking12023-04-19 22:17

    Good on ya for rescuing it from the weeds

  4. #4Compression fire2023-04-19 22:29

    Ya first try at it I remember the old boys I worked with talking about the old knuckle busters they all ran back in the day and I knew exactly what they were talking about lol

  5. #5Compression fire2023-04-19 22:31

    Amazing thank you so much this has sure been fun getting going

  6. #6Compression fire2023-04-20 00:13

    If you don’t mind me asking how you are able to tell it’s a 1939 I did see somewhere 9k serial numbers maybe were first made

  7. #7Old Magnet2023-04-20 01:05

    I have a listing of the #12 Grader production. You are correct, the 9Kxxxx series is the beginning of #12 Grader Production starting in 1938.

  8. #8skyking12023-04-20 02:07

    I've never operated a 12 but my first grader time was a 112, a little lighter machine with a 4 cylinder engine. Same fun gearbox

  9. #9ovrszd2023-04-20 16:04

    Take pictures when ya get a chance. We'd all love to see it!!!!

  10. #10Compression fire2023-04-24 19:43
  11. #11Compression fire2023-04-24 19:47
  12. #12Compression fire2023-04-24 19:51
  13. #13skyking12023-04-24 21:43

    where did the hood go? I hope it did not blow off. Thanks for the pictures.

  14. #14Tugger22023-04-24 22:04

    Great recovery. Nice to see one that old still intact.

  15. #15Compression fire2023-04-26 13:50

    Thank you everyone for all the help I still got hood I just had it of go some room to work lol

  16. #16skyking12023-04-26 18:21

    What a jewel, that would be a dream machine if I had room for it. One of my first ever memory was standing on the floor on one of those looking out the toe glass while my dad was roading it to another spot. I was a little shaver and barely got up to that window!

  17. #1756wrench2023-04-27 10:37

    I sold my #12 last fall. I still used it occasionally but it had to go. We were moving and my wife said it couldn’t come☹️☹️

  18. #18grandpa2023-04-27 20:52

    I learned on a 7T , then owned 8T , 99e and would love to take a cutting torch to them all. knuckle busting magneto biting sobs. Now when the 12Gs came out thats the biggest change from one model to another I ever saw. My 12M is nice, but I still prefer the G's.