Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Molydisulfide grease for pivot points and axle bearings?

Grit ยท 2014-03-31 19:29

My operators manual says to use a Molydisulfide grease (specifically AMBRA GR 75 MD) whatever that is.... My question was whether I can use this same type grease to grease my axle bearings as well. It didn't say to use another type grease, but I just wanted to make sure. Also, where do I get this grease at? My grease gun only holds those small 3oz cartridges. It would seem I'm going to need a WHOLE lot more grease than 2 or 3 of those? And one other question, too. How do I know when the axles are full? Will I not be able to pump any more into the fitting? Thanks for answering this greenhorns' questions. :tong

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2014-03-31 20:28

    Ambra is a New Holland brand, in my opinion pretty much any moly based grease will probably be fine... but that's just my opinion, lol. Dunno about the axle question.

  2. #2Delmer2014-03-31 20:44

    No moly on high speed roller bearings, you'd probably be fine, but just buy two real grease guns and learn to live with it. I don't know in TX but around here the most expensive grease is usually a moly grease, it should give a percentage around 3%. There are higher moly% greases that you'd get from a lube distributor or online. Forgot, usually you want 2-6 pumps if you're greasing at the recommended interval. Pump until it seeps out of pins, not bearings. I've never figured out wheel bearings, but you can blow the seal if you add too much.

  3. #3Grit2014-03-31 21:15

    lantraxco, yeah I figured it was. They'd like for me to buy their stuff, I'm sure. Delmer, I'm not sure I understand your first sentence. When you talk about the pins and bearings, are you referring to the pivot points on the loader arms? Blow the seal? Boy I don't need that. I really need someone explain the procedure for filling the axle bearings, then. I don't need any more work than I already have to do. LOL. Thanks for the replies and I'm sorry if I'm not "getting" what you guys are talking about.

  4. #4JTWAT2014-03-31 21:28

    Moly is added to grease as a sacrificial component. It is for use in slow moving, high load areas. Such as pins and bushings and pivot joints. It is not for use in roller bearings as moly is a solid. Do not over grease a sealed bearing. Too much grease will insulate the bearing and cause it to get hot. 2-6 pumps in the axle bearing as Delmer has said is plenty.

  5. #5Delmer2014-03-31 21:40

    Like he said, moly is for extreme duty, especially after all the grease is gone the moly is the only thing keeping the two metal surfaces from becoming one. Not USUALLY recommended for wheel bearings, but maybe NH know more than I do? Or maybe they figure it's more important that the pins get moly grease than the wheel bearings don't get it? I don't do skid steers so I don't know if there's a seal that would blow or not. You won't go wrong with 6 pumps, every 8 hours or whatever hours the book says.

  6. #6Grit2014-03-31 21:42

    Thanks, JTWAT. So can I use the moly grease for the axle bearings? And this 2-6 pumps, is that from a full size grease gun? I assume the one I have (that holds the 3oz cartridges) is a small one? Thanks!

  7. #7Grit2014-03-31 21:48

    Thanks, Delmer. Ok, well, maybe I need to call NH and ask them what I should use for the axle bearings, just to be on the safe side.

  8. #8blitz1382014-04-12 15:42

    Moly isn't necessarily bad for high speed applications. Viscosity is a much more important factor, higher the speed=lower the viscosity. I wouldn't consider an axle bearing a high speed application. 60 mph would be around 850 rpm @ bearing. As long as the grease manufacturer is using fine grade quality moly it would be fine to use. Moly quality of course varies considerably.

  9. #9lantraxco2014-04-12 15:59

    I wondered about that, as I remember using moly grease in just about everything with no apparent shortening of service life.